1.27/5
Based on 157 reviews that contain star ratings

615 ProAir HFA Inhalers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 20, 2018

I have had asthma all my life and I was just prescribed PROAIR. I don't feel that it's helping me at all. I have acute bronchitis and bronchospasm right now. I have an infection in my lungs. I was previously on ** which was helping me with but I had an allergist who wanted to help me with asthma and took me off it. The asthma is worse then ever especially because I'm sick now it has exacerbated. I'm thankful to see that I am not alone. I will never buy this inhaler again.

I

Original review: July 6, 2018

I have very bad asthma from the burn pits when I was deployed to Iraq. I always have a feeling like my lungs are squeezed and I can barely get enough air. I almost throw up in the mornings, especially out of the shower. I can always wheeze if I push air out hard. I have used about every inhaler on the market from **. It's taken me a while to get an appt with the doc, so I've been without an inhaler for a while. When I finally was seen, I was prescribed the ProAir inhaler and gave it a first try. I took two heavy puffs that I held in the lungs for about 8 seconds each. It irritated my lungs really badly and I started coughing uncontrollably. I began to lose consciousness and fell over on the bed and waited until I gained full consciousness. It was scary not knowing if that was the end of me.

After I was better, I began to wheeze badly and there was a feeling of bubbles or like a flap in my esophagus when I would breathe in and out. Eventually I began to cough crazy again and a bunch of phlegm came up immediately. After the phlegm came out, I felt 10 times better. The pressure on the chest wasn't there and I felt like I was taking every bit of air I was breathing in. After about 10 minutes, I started to feel tingly and light headed. I gave it three stars because of how much better my lungs feel and left off the two stars for the almost making me lose consciousness and the after effect of the tingling and lightheadedness. The results of this inhaler make me think that I was slowly drowning on my phlegm and this inhaler brought all of the fluid out.

Get expert buying tips about Health Products and Supplements delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Now that I have to use ProAir because Medicaid will not pay for any other I'm beginning to feel like my death is coming. The delivery system had almost killed me from being clogged and new, I was away from home. The medication helps me get more air for survival on a daily basis. But the medication keeps my lungs sore. I use to follow a healthy exercise to keep my lungs strong. I can't do it anymore. Now oxygen at night. I’ve cried out for help, for change. The window is closing fast for any chance of extending my life. I have COPD. ProAir is killing me. My heart and prayers go out to everyone that suffer from this inhaler.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I was using ** and it wasn't great but it controlled my spastic breathing. My insurance company decided to change to this crap. I do mean crap. I have not been able to rest, my blood pressure is elevated, and I feel like I am overdosing on this to get it to work. I have tried sitting, standing, walking, and laying down and nothing works. I already use ** up from 250/50. I have had an ambulance called because someone thought I was dying in my sleep. I have gone back to a better brand and just pay $300 out of my pocket for peace of mind.

Original review: April 29, 2018

My husband was just diagnosed with the starting of COPD. He had Bronchitis which triggered the lung condition. He was prescribed ** which worked very good when I took him to Urgent Care. He had a follow-up with his doctor and the doctor prescribed ** but our prescription plan gave him ProAir. We thought all of them were the same which is not true. The ProAir pump was faulty from the beginning. The first dose nearly came out and this is every time he used it. He ran out of puffs quickly. I don't understand with so many complaints the manufacture of this pump don't look to improve the performance.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ProAir HFA Inhalers?

Original review: April 19, 2018

The last 5 inhalers I have gotten seem to work OK for 10 or 15 puffs. After that, it might take 4 tries to get 2 doses dispensed. This seems to be a continuing problem according to reviews here. What can be done about this poor quality medication. Asthma is no fun, and worse when you pay out good money for a product and it doesn't work worth a crap!

Original review: April 10, 2018

Given there are not that many inhalers on the market we seem to be left with little choice. The ProAir does not deliver enough product to do the job. In fact the first delivery is so weak. It's useless and it takes at least two more to get enough of the medication to work. Plus being short of breath the first puff is difficult to does very little and the next puff barely works. Sometimes it take up to four puff just to do the job of my old inhaler's two puffs. Yet we are penalized by only getting 200 puffs per unit and that's suppose to last us a month. What a joke. My insurance only pay $12 per Rx for this inhaler and I have to pay the rest at full price. What a joke.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

Even though the metered dosage states there 183 does left, there is not enough propellant to deliver the ** in an emergency. I have researched online and found many other complaining about the same issue. What is being done about it? The company is totally unresponsive. They should be forced to replace and do a recall on defective ones.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

Proair HFA albuterol inhaler - Total rip off. Been using those PROAIR inhalers for 3 years now. They stop putting out puffs of medication after around 10 puffs. The counter still shows there are 102 puffs left and it is not stopped up or dirty. Been happening on all of them I have gotten. This is a very dangerous situation for us people with COPD and wake up in the middle of the night gasping for air and then the new inhaler you just got does not work. This is a serious thing and something must be done about it.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I am generally a positive person. I don't buy into conspiracy theories, don't pay attention to the media and form my own opinions. But I understand there are certain aspects of the world in which we live that are so ** up, they are genuinely frightening to me and cannot be ignored. An example of one such thing is the Proair HFA inhaler. It is a result of Big Pharma, probably the most destructive and evil entity to ever exist on this planet. As a kid and teenager, I used ** for my asthma which was mostly exercise induced. And ONE of those yellow inhalers cost $8 and lasted for 1-2 years... and ALWAYS worked... Even AFTER is was practically empty. In emergency situations such as being without my inhaler in the middle of the night, I could rely on **, which was sold over the counter at 24-hour retailers.

I am calling out this Proair HFA as being the most ridiculous, rude, and disgraceful gestures to asthma sufferers that could possibly be imagined. It makes me sad. I don't have insurance at the moment and the inhaler costs $65.00. This piece of crap inhaler works MAYBE for ten puffs and then nothing. I have 4 that read there is 100 puffs left and NOTHING. On top of the blatant design flaw of the propellant, I have become IMMUNE to the medication and my symptoms are not relieved. I will be paid back for my expenses one way or another. Is anyone aware of a class action suit against this piece of junk company. Very disrespectful and very disappointing. These types of freaks, running this company, are at the root of the decaying moral fiber of our societies across the globe. They have to be stopped.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

Just bought the inhaler on Wednesday, worked fine for 3 days and crapped out when it's supposed to be 90% full. It just doesn't give anything. It's not dirty, just fails to work. This is the second one. Will use ** from now on, but my child is in severe danger now without it, and unable to participate in today's athletic events. I recommend that you do NOT buy this product and if it is prescribed, request a different product from the pharmacist. By the way, **, or something of that name doesn't work either. We've used ** for years without incident. This product is awful and should be taken off the market.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

Canisters stop propelling before empty. These red inhalers are crap! I can't tell you how many I have thrown out before learning that you are supposed to clean out the canisters if they become clogged. 30 years using inhalers and this is the only brand that have ever clogged on me! And it is every one.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

20 plus years asthmatic has tried everything on the market. Proair isn't working anymore like ** does. It clogs and doesn't open me up anymore -- but that's all the drug Pusher doctor will prescribe for me if it wasn't for my nebulizer of 5 years I wouldn't be getting a strong stream of medicine from it the two new overpriced nebulizers I just purchased put a very weak stream of medicine nothing like before. ** costs $850 what a rip off! My copay is 20 bucks. In addition to aerosol spraying overhead daily worldwide they're going to reduce the meds for asthmatic peoples? Carrying out agenda 2030 is getting real easy for the globalist elitists taking away medication that works from patients who will DIE NOW. I was wondering why Proair didn't work anymore-- JUST got schooled by all the other asthmatics and their experiences, thanks!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

When I use ** in a nebulizer I get instant results - peak flow volume goes up 60 percent with my asthma. But my ** HFA inhaler doesn't help at all. After I use it, I'm still wheezing - maybe even tighter than before. Why? Is there something in the propellant?

Original review: June 26, 2017

I had very bad asthma as a child and young man. ** CFC was a lifesaver for me since the 1960s. Then around 2000 they changed the formulation. The new HFA inhaler propellant was half as powerful as the CFC and doses were very much less effective. The old inhaler was effective until it was completely empty. Not so the new one. The dose is not constant and when it is about half empty it is very much less effective. Beyond that you may as well bin it.

I understand GSK were able to renew the patent on ** after replacing the CFC propellant. That seems to me to be a more compelling reason for investing millions changing a tried and trusted medicine than removing the minute amount of CFC that would be exhaled to the atmosphere. My asthma has receded with time but I still carry ** HFA everywhere. It is enough to relieve a tight chest which is all I get now. But 30 years ago I doubt it would have been. Inhalers should have been exempted from CFC regulations. Their value to patients far exceeded their negligible effect on the environment.

Original review: June 1, 2017

I've been using ** and ** since 1978. Always got the relief they're supposed to give. I was prescribed ** by the VA when hospitalized in November. I wasn't getting better and wound up going to the ER where I was treated with **. I went home feeling worse than when I went to the ER in the first place! (Initially the ** works fantastically, but the side effects are debilitating! That's one to avoid, too.) I was prescribed that combo as well as more **.

It is now June 1 and I have been struggling for breath constantly due to the use of **, until I decided to look up complaints. Today is the last day of my use of **. I believe now that either the propellant and/or the ethanol in ** are the culprits and don't know how this medicine got past the trials. After reading some of these reviews, especially the one that blames ethanol, I'm sure that it's the ethanol that's the culprit and who knows what is in the propellant?

The fact that the manufacturer continues to make a product that makes the users worse is deceptive and criminal and should be looking at a Class Action lawsuit. How many patients have died from bronchospasm that we don't know about? I came pretty close myself but had the nebulized ** at home to save me. So, no more **! I will call Express Scripts (my mail order pharmacy compliments of the U.S. Government and my disability) tomorrow to see what can be done to get ** from them. My success or lack of will be the topic of another review.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2017

With the new propellant in these sprays I find my asthma gets worse my lungs get tighter. I actually start feeling better about 4 to 6 hours when the medicine starts to wear off. I have the same issue with the steroid inhalers like **. I use mostly my nebulizer now at home because the liquid medications used in the nebulizer work. The FDA really needs to let the Makerbot back to the old versions of ** and other inhalers including generics. It a waste of money and dangerous to people's health.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2016

My son was given the inhaler at an ER visit to the hospital due to his asthma flare-up. At the ER, they gave him the prescription of **. He had used ** before and never had any problems with the prescription. We just so happened to not have an updated prescription, since he hasn't had any problems with his asthma for a long while. Just recently when using the **, two of the bb sized balls that help to mix the meds came out into his mouth when using the medication! I thought at least he was old enough to tell me of the incident... imagine if it were a young child that this could have happened to?! What if the bb sized balls went into my son's lungs when breathing the medication in?! They seriously need to do a recall on this product.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2016

I ended up in the emergency room 3 times during the time I was using this inhaler brand. The last time, I was actually admitted to the hospital. The night before, I was at the airport where I worked. I could barely breathe and I ended up calling the airport paramedics who gave me 2 nebulizer treatments. By the next morning, I was just as bad. I tried driving myself to the hospital but I couldn't make it. I pulled into a fire department parking lot that was on the way and ended up being taken to the hospital by medic unit. I now use ** and never have any problems.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2016

I have asthma and get much worst when I use the inhalers as a rescue inhaler. Today my doctor told me I was reacting to the preservative, which are **. This preservatives can cause restrictions, creating breathing problems. I do not use them anymore.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2016

Picked up a refill inhaler yesterday. My pharmacy apparently has switched from ProAir to Ventolin. I found it really awkward to use, the cap cannot be completely removed (presumably so people won't lose it?); already awkward to hold with the cap dangling under hand. I found it needs a much firmer push than any inhaler I have used before. I got the idea to remove the inhaler- exactly as one normally would do to routinely clean the dispenser- and try using the new inhaler with the old ProAir dispenser. No go - the counter mechanism is permanently attached to the medicine canister (patent issue?).

Still needing my dose, I reinserted the canister into the dispenser, taking care to position it so that the attached counter was properly positioned. Halfway into the dispenser the canister got stuck. I cannot pull it back out, I cannot get it the rest of the way in, I cannot even get it to dispense. The entire device is just stuck. Now I need to get through the night without it or go to the emergency room to get a new one.

We are having exceptionally hot weather for this area, and it's entirely possible that this issue is due to heat - even if that is the case, it would extremely poor design to manufacture an inhaler so sensitive to heat that the canister cannot be removed and reinserted in warm weather. I would try sticking it in the refrigerator for a little bit, but inhaling cold air is one of my asthma triggers.

Original review: July 28, 2016

Prescription costs $40.00, 8 out of 10 times the inhaler gets clogged. Currently have 2 - one clogged after 42 inhalations, the other after 80. No amount of rinsing or cleaning or boiling in water alleviates the problem. So, I have $80.00 worth of medicine that I NEED, that I can't take.

Original review: April 23, 2016

Since CFC inhalers disappeared and the HFA type were introduced, my asthma symptoms have been so much worse that I needed to get on corticosteroid maintenance. HFA inhalers cause irritation to my lungs and I know I'm not the only one who noticed this! Proair is the worst! I recently had my pharmacy switch me to Proair and the stuff is literally making my asthma worse. I can take enough that I'm jittery and I'm wheezing worse for it!!! Terrible product and it also clogs frequently, so obviously not enough research and development went into this thing. I would not at all be surprised if this inhaler and its manufacturer are responsible for deaths of asthmatics who switched to using it.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2016

It worsen the symptoms about 2-3 hours. After inhaling one puff, I start feeling chest and muscle tightness, shortness of breath, increased heart rate, swelling of throat, allergy alike watery eyes and running nose. This product is possibly most toxic inhaler I have ever try.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2016

I'm really not familiar with these inhalers but I'm using one now for bronchitis. Just my third day but I can breathe better after 2 wks of this. Either I was getting better on my own or the inhaler or antibiotics are helping. I sympathize with all you guys that have breathing problems. And yes, big pharma does not care if we breathe or not! Lining pockets is what they care about. Plus the air quality from daily spraying will soon have everyone sick, which is the agenda. But so far I can breathe. If I had asthma, I'd be having the air tested inside my home, to see if maybe I was breathing dangerous chemicals.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2015

I'm running around huffing and puffing, sucking on the end of this inhaler thinking I must be getting sick because I can't breathe and I noticed this morning, my inhaler had no meds in it… even though the number of puffs left was 30. This isn't the first time that has happened.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2015

I have been using ProAir for a year because it is the only rescue inhaler my insurance will pay for. The insurance company has now switched to another rescue inhaler. One canister was empty when I picked it up from the pharmacy. Another problem is when it hits the back of my throat, it causes me to cough. The last problem I had was it was helping too much. I was using it every 1-2 hrs. The strange though was when I finished 1 canister and refilled the script the new canister worked fine. Not a safe product for me.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2015

I have had Chronic Severe Asthma since I was 7 years old born in 1979. My triggers are dogs, cats, smoke and lack of fresh air indoor, air pollution. I used to go through 2 Ventolin type inhalers a month for years as a teenager. Was great when the white generic albuterol came out and you could get them for $16-$18 at Walmart. If I was not taking albuterol I was on Advair at $375.00 a piece and a crooked asthma doctor wanted me on 2 per month. It's funny the Advair disk have exactly 28 hits each like big pharma is counting their profit of each hit, anyway doc told me 1 hit every 12 hours. I could not afford 2 per month so I took only 1 hit a day and it worked, but when I ran out It was labored breathing. It was like a clock I needed to take the Advair every day at the exact same time or I would have trouble breathing many times.

I could not get Advair and went back to albuterol because price ECT. Finally I had enough when I could not get the generic anymore and now Ventolin FHA and Proair FHA were $50-60 a pop. I suffered for 2 straight weeks having trouble breathing but refused to take any type of inhalers. Been 3 years now drug-free and I truly believe they put something in Advair and albuterol to get you physically addicted or maybe the drugs are physically addictive. The Last straw was the new FHA scam and how big pharma Glaxo Smith Cline ECT received new patents on FHA and quadrupled the old price and generics were not available.

Sure it's good to have one around for emergency, but I believe the human body can function without it. My lungs work way better being off the drugs. Anyway good luck to fellow asthma suffers and by the way if you're ever south of the border Panama or Colombia ECT you can still buy the old non-FHA inhalers for $5-$7 in any drugstore, no prescription needed. I used to buy about a dozen back in the day and fly back with them. Drug prices in the USA are IMMORAL and drug companies want you on their drugs for life.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2015

I am a Respiratory therapist and I have asthma that is well controlled. My trigger is bronchitis, so when I get sick, which is usually every winter, I use my rescue inhaler PRN. I refuse to have any of my doctors give me a script for Proair, nor do I accept the pharmacy trying to pawn this product off on me. I will only accept Proventil or Albuterol HFA. In my time of need Proair simply does not work. What good is a rescue inhaler if it doesn't rescue you from restricted airways? I tell my family not to use this product as well as informing my doctors.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2015

Tip, it's actually the ethanol that is hurting your lungs and heart. Ventolin HFA does not have ethanol. It costs $63 now, and I pay it. I can barely afford to eat, and the other inhalers like PROAIR HFA are covered for free. But, alas, what's the point of taking a medicine that doesn't work and that will probably kill me too? No, I can't afford to eat now, but at least I can breathe. TAKE THE FREAKING ETHANOL OUT OF THESE INHALERS! (Good Lord, what kind of world do we live in where they don't even care that they are killing asthmatic children by the hundreds?)

ProAir HFA Inhalers Company Information