1.27/5
  • 1 star
Based on 148 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 28, 2017

607 ProAir HFA Inhalers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I am generally a positive person. I don't buy into conspiracy theories, don't pay attention to the media and form my own opinions. But I understand there are certain aspects of the world in which we live that are so ** up, they are genuinely frightening to me and cannot be ignored. An example of one such thing is the Proair HFA inhaler. It is a result of Big Pharma, probably the most destructive and evil entity to ever exist on this planet. As a kid and teenager, I used ** for my asthma which was mostly exercise induced. And ONE of those yellow inhalers cost $8 and lasted for 1-2 years... and ALWAYS worked... Even AFTER is was practically empty. In emergency situations such as being without my inhaler in the middle of the night, I could rely on **, which was sold over the counter at 24-hour retailers.

I am calling out this Proair HFA as being the most ridiculous, rude, and disgraceful gestures to asthma sufferers that could possibly be imagined. It makes me sad. I don't have insurance at the moment and the inhaler costs $65.00. This piece of crap inhaler works MAYBE for ten puffs and then nothing. I have 4 that read there is 100 puffs left and NOTHING. On top of the blatant design flaw of the propellant, I have become IMMUNE to the medication and my symptoms are not relieved. I will be paid back for my expenses one way or another. Is anyone aware of a class action suit against this piece of junk company. Very disrespectful and very disappointing. These types of freaks, running this company, are at the root of the decaying moral fiber of our societies across the globe. They have to be stopped.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

Just bought the inhaler on Wednesday, worked fine for 3 days and crapped out when it's supposed to be 90% full. It just doesn't give anything. It's not dirty, just fails to work. This is the second one. Will use ** from now on, but my child is in severe danger now without it, and unable to participate in today's athletic events. I recommend that you do NOT buy this product and if it is prescribed, request a different product from the pharmacist. By the way, **, or something of that name doesn't work either. We've used ** for years without incident. This product is awful and should be taken off the market.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

Canisters stop propelling before empty. These red inhalers are crap! I can't tell you how many I have thrown out before learning that you are supposed to clean out the canisters if they become clogged. 30 years using inhalers and this is the only brand that have ever clogged on me! And it is every one.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

20 plus years asthmatic has tried everything on the market. Proair isn't working anymore like ** does. It clogs and doesn't open me up anymore -- but that's all the drug Pusher doctor will prescribe for me if it wasn't for my nebulizer of 5 years I wouldn't be getting a strong stream of medicine from it the two new overpriced nebulizers I just purchased put a very weak stream of medicine nothing like before. ** costs $850 what a rip off! My copay is 20 bucks. In addition to aerosol spraying overhead daily worldwide they're going to reduce the meds for asthmatic peoples? Carrying out agenda 2030 is getting real easy for the globalist elitists taking away medication that works from patients who will DIE NOW. I was wondering why Proair didn't work anymore-- JUST got schooled by all the other asthmatics and their experiences, thanks!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

When I use ** in a nebulizer I get instant results - peak flow volume goes up 60 percent with my asthma. But my ** HFA inhaler doesn't help at all. After I use it, I'm still wheezing - maybe even tighter than before. Why? Is there something in the propellant?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ProAir HFA Inhalers?

Original review: June 26, 2017

I had very bad asthma as a child and young man. ** CFC was a lifesaver for me since the 1960s. Then around 2000 they changed the formulation. The new HFA inhaler propellant was half as powerful as the CFC and doses were very much less effective. The old inhaler was effective until it was completely empty. Not so the new one. The dose is not constant and when it is about half empty it is very much less effective. Beyond that you may as well bin it.

I understand GSK were able to renew the patent on ** after replacing the CFC propellant. That seems to me to be a more compelling reason for investing millions changing a tried and trusted medicine than removing the minute amount of CFC that would be exhaled to the atmosphere. My asthma has receded with time but I still carry ** HFA everywhere. It is enough to relieve a tight chest which is all I get now. But 30 years ago I doubt it would have been. Inhalers should have been exempted from CFC regulations. Their value to patients far exceeded their negligible effect on the environment.

Original review: June 1, 2017

I've been using ** and ** since 1978. Always got the relief they're supposed to give. I was prescribed ** by the VA when hospitalized in November. I wasn't getting better and wound up going to the ER where I was treated with **. I went home feeling worse than when I went to the ER in the first place! (Initially the ** works fantastically, but the side effects are debilitating! That's one to avoid, too.) I was prescribed that combo as well as more **.

It is now June 1 and I have been struggling for breath constantly due to the use of **, until I decided to look up complaints. Today is the last day of my use of **. I believe now that either the propellant and/or the ethanol in ** are the culprits and don't know how this medicine got past the trials. After reading some of these reviews, especially the one that blames ethanol, I'm sure that it's the ethanol that's the culprit and who knows what is in the propellant?

The fact that the manufacturer continues to make a product that makes the users worse is deceptive and criminal and should be looking at a Class Action lawsuit. How many patients have died from bronchospasm that we don't know about? I came pretty close myself but had the nebulized ** at home to save me. So, no more **! I will call Express Scripts (my mail order pharmacy compliments of the U.S. Government and my disability) tomorrow to see what can be done to get ** from them. My success or lack of will be the topic of another review.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2017

With the new propellant in these sprays I find my asthma gets worse my lungs get tighter. I actually start feeling better about 4 to 6 hours when the medicine starts to wear off. I have the same issue with the steroid inhalers like **. I use mostly my nebulizer now at home because the liquid medications used in the nebulizer work. The FDA really needs to let the Makerbot back to the old versions of ** and other inhalers including generics. It a waste of money and dangerous to people's health.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2016

My son was given the inhaler at an ER visit to the hospital due to his asthma flare-up. At the ER, they gave him the prescription of **. He had used ** before and never had any problems with the prescription. We just so happened to not have an updated prescription, since he hasn't had any problems with his asthma for a long while. Just recently when using the **, two of the bb sized balls that help to mix the meds came out into his mouth when using the medication! I thought at least he was old enough to tell me of the incident... imagine if it were a young child that this could have happened to?! What if the bb sized balls went into my son's lungs when breathing the medication in?! They seriously need to do a recall on this product.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2016

I ended up in the emergency room 3 times during the time I was using this inhaler brand. The last time, I was actually admitted to the hospital. The night before, I was at the airport where I worked. I could barely breathe and I ended up calling the airport paramedics who gave me 2 nebulizer treatments. By the next morning, I was just as bad. I tried driving myself to the hospital but I couldn't make it. I pulled into a fire department parking lot that was on the way and ended up being taken to the hospital by medic unit. I now use ** and never have any problems.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2016

I have asthma and get much worst when I use the inhalers as a rescue inhaler. Today my doctor told me I was reacting to the preservative, which are **. This preservatives can cause restrictions, creating breathing problems. I do not use them anymore.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2016

Picked up a refill inhaler yesterday. My pharmacy apparently has switched from ProAir to Ventolin. I found it really awkward to use, the cap cannot be completely removed (presumably so people won't lose it?); already awkward to hold with the cap dangling under hand. I found it needs a much firmer push than any inhaler I have used before. I got the idea to remove the inhaler- exactly as one normally would do to routinely clean the dispenser- and try using the new inhaler with the old ProAir dispenser. No go - the counter mechanism is permanently attached to the medicine canister (patent issue?).

Still needing my dose, I reinserted the canister into the dispenser, taking care to position it so that the attached counter was properly positioned. Halfway into the dispenser the canister got stuck. I cannot pull it back out, I cannot get it the rest of the way in, I cannot even get it to dispense. The entire device is just stuck. Now I need to get through the night without it or go to the emergency room to get a new one.

We are having exceptionally hot weather for this area, and it's entirely possible that this issue is due to heat - even if that is the case, it would extremely poor design to manufacture an inhaler so sensitive to heat that the canister cannot be removed and reinserted in warm weather. I would try sticking it in the refrigerator for a little bit, but inhaling cold air is one of my asthma triggers.

Original review: July 28, 2016

Prescription costs $40.00, 8 out of 10 times the inhaler gets clogged. Currently have 2 - one clogged after 42 inhalations, the other after 80. No amount of rinsing or cleaning or boiling in water alleviates the problem. So, I have $80.00 worth of medicine that I NEED, that I can't take.

Original review: April 23, 2016

Since CFC inhalers disappeared and the HFA type were introduced, my asthma symptoms have been so much worse that I needed to get on corticosteroid maintenance. HFA inhalers cause irritation to my lungs and I know I'm not the only one who noticed this! Proair is the worst! I recently had my pharmacy switch me to Proair and the stuff is literally making my asthma worse. I can take enough that I'm jittery and I'm wheezing worse for it!!! Terrible product and it also clogs frequently, so obviously not enough research and development went into this thing. I would not at all be surprised if this inhaler and its manufacturer are responsible for deaths of asthmatics who switched to using it.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2016

It worsen the symptoms about 2-3 hours. After inhaling one puff, I start feeling chest and muscle tightness, shortness of breath, increased heart rate, swelling of throat, allergy alike watery eyes and running nose. This product is possibly most toxic inhaler I have ever try.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2016

I'm really not familiar with these inhalers but I'm using one now for bronchitis. Just my third day but I can breathe better after 2 wks of this. Either I was getting better on my own or the inhaler or antibiotics are helping. I sympathize with all you guys that have breathing problems. And yes, big pharma does not care if we breathe or not! Lining pockets is what they care about. Plus the air quality from daily spraying will soon have everyone sick, which is the agenda. But so far I can breathe. If I had asthma, I'd be having the air tested inside my home, to see if maybe I was breathing dangerous chemicals.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2015

I'm running around huffing and puffing, sucking on the end of this inhaler thinking I must be getting sick because I can't breathe and I noticed this morning, my inhaler had no meds in it… even though the number of puffs left was 30. This isn't the first time that has happened.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2015

I have been using ProAir for a year because it is the only rescue inhaler my insurance will pay for. The insurance company has now switched to another rescue inhaler. One canister was empty when I picked it up from the pharmacy. Another problem is when it hits the back of my throat, it causes me to cough. The last problem I had was it was helping too much. I was using it every 1-2 hrs. The strange though was when I finished 1 canister and refilled the script the new canister worked fine. Not a safe product for me.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2015

I have had Chronic Severe Asthma since I was 7 years old born in 1979. My triggers are dogs, cats, smoke and lack of fresh air indoor, air pollution. I used to go through 2 Ventolin type inhalers a month for years as a teenager. Was great when the white generic albuterol came out and you could get them for $16-$18 at Walmart. If I was not taking albuterol I was on Advair at $375.00 a piece and a crooked asthma doctor wanted me on 2 per month. It's funny the Advair disk have exactly 28 hits each like big pharma is counting their profit of each hit, anyway doc told me 1 hit every 12 hours. I could not afford 2 per month so I took only 1 hit a day and it worked, but when I ran out It was labored breathing. It was like a clock I needed to take the Advair every day at the exact same time or I would have trouble breathing many times.

I could not get Advair and went back to albuterol because price ECT. Finally I had enough when I could not get the generic anymore and now Ventolin FHA and Proair FHA were $50-60 a pop. I suffered for 2 straight weeks having trouble breathing but refused to take any type of inhalers. Been 3 years now drug-free and I truly believe they put something in Advair and albuterol to get you physically addicted or maybe the drugs are physically addictive. The Last straw was the new FHA scam and how big pharma Glaxo Smith Cline ECT received new patents on FHA and quadrupled the old price and generics were not available.

Sure it's good to have one around for emergency, but I believe the human body can function without it. My lungs work way better being off the drugs. Anyway good luck to fellow asthma suffers and by the way if you're ever south of the border Panama or Colombia ECT you can still buy the old non-FHA inhalers for $5-$7 in any drugstore, no prescription needed. I used to buy about a dozen back in the day and fly back with them. Drug prices in the USA are IMMORAL and drug companies want you on their drugs for life.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2015

I am a Respiratory therapist and I have asthma that is well controlled. My trigger is bronchitis, so when I get sick, which is usually every winter, I use my rescue inhaler PRN. I refuse to have any of my doctors give me a script for Proair, nor do I accept the pharmacy trying to pawn this product off on me. I will only accept Proventil or Albuterol HFA. In my time of need Proair simply does not work. What good is a rescue inhaler if it doesn't rescue you from restricted airways? I tell my family not to use this product as well as informing my doctors.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2015

Tip, it's actually the ethanol that is hurting your lungs and heart. Ventolin HFA does not have ethanol. It costs $63 now, and I pay it. I can barely afford to eat, and the other inhalers like PROAIR HFA are covered for free. But, alas, what's the point of taking a medicine that doesn't work and that will probably kill me too? No, I can't afford to eat now, but at least I can breathe. TAKE THE FREAKING ETHANOL OUT OF THESE INHALERS! (Good Lord, what kind of world do we live in where they don't even care that they are killing asthmatic children by the hundreds?)

Original review: Nov. 8, 2015

I rarely ever use a inhaler unless I'm sick but one day this past summer I wasn't breathing well to the point where I decided I will use my inhaler. After taking the Proair I had no relief at all and it made me extremely jittery and my heart race. That usually happens for me with albuterol but it was worse than usual, and on top of the fact that my breathing wasn't improving I started to get nervous which made the breathing worse. I thought I was maybe crazy for thinking the inhaler didn't work for me but the other day I went to my doctor and even she said Proair is not good.

After finding this website, I'm very relieved to know I'm not the only one who has experienced this but at the same time very upset because there are people who have worse asthma than me and get attacks and if I were in a situation like that and this inhaler didn't work I would panic. I hope they stop giving these out or somehow improve them. It's extremely dangerous.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2015

This inhaler is garbage. It's 3 AM and I have taken about 6 puffs because it provides no relief. The one prior to this got stuck after about 10 uses and I rinsed it out - still didn't work, I couldn't get another one because the insurance only covers 1 per month I believe. This is a health concern for me, the pharmacist rinsed it out in hot water for like 5 min and still didn't get it to work. I've never had issues until this new one came out. I have to use this in the middle of the night but after the usage it doesn't clear my airways at all, I wind up getting up to use my nebulizer machine and I feel I shouldn't! This is a very expensive product for it to not work, not to mention that it's an emergency product that should be used to prevent an asthma death. It's garbage and something should be done. Either lower the price and allow for us to get multiple ones or bring the old one back.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2015

Pro-Air and ANY of the new propellant type of inhalers are an example of how sick and corrupted our government is and how much OUR government listens to greedy pharma companies. Does ANYONE who has asthma really prefer the resulting effects from these new inhalers as opposed to the old? I'm guessing not, and I'm positive after 30 years of problems myself I sure do not. They are horrible. How can we the people not have a voice and be able to choose what we want to use, all because of some Montreal Protocol??? So because the inhalers that worked the best contain CFC's the companies who manufacture the product decided to discontinue the production of them to abide to this protocol? Did I mention that the companies producing the medicine would generate an additional 1.2 billion dollars in revenue in America alone!

So here we are, we had a great product that worked great. Oh yeah, did I mention this is a medicine for breathing, one of the most simple yet necessary processes for human life to exist. I digress, so this functioning medicine is replaced with an excuse for a product which doesn't do 1/10 of what it should. How does this make any sense? This logic would be like taking fish out of water because their water is polluted. That will keep the fish healthy! Ok, not that bad, but certainly not that far off. I hope the people who enacted this, one day find themselves feeling like they are breathing through a coffee stirrer without the proper propellant to deliver the medicine to their lungs.

Scientists and doctors can tell me all day it's the same medicine, but it's not through the action of not performing the same. The propellant does not get the medicine to the areas of the lungs needed, and that renders the medicine different and inefficient. I can attest to this. I have not had a good breath of air since 2008. Thank you Montreal Protocol, you have ruined my breathing.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2015

I have been using inhalers for about 10 years. I was on Ventolin for years, right up until about 3 years ago. When my insurance company decided that they wouldn't pay for it, so I got switched to Pro Air. I have been very unhappy with it since I started. It doesn't help, and I find myself trying to use it more than I should, because I am getting no relief. I have to use it as a rescue inhaler, and does not work fast. Also have had the same problem as a number of people on this site. It starts off with 200 but I am lucky if I get 50 out of it. I took the whole inhaler the first time it happened to my Pharmacy, told him what happened, that I pushed it down and nothing was coming out. In front of everyone he proceeded to say it was the way I was doing it, that it was something that I was doing wrong.

Well this has been going on except for maybe a handful of times, every month. I never use the full cylinder. Which I can't afford, my co pays are very high. I have tried even switching it to another holder. Nothing! I called my Dr today and told him I will pay out of pocket. Want my old one back!!! I now see after reading all these complaints that it wasn't me. And shame on the Pharmacist for making me feel like an idiot!!!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2015

The last four inhalers I received worked for only 50 puffs, not the 200 puffs that were supposed to be there. I asked for another inhaler from my doctor only to find this is the ONLY product that my insurance company will cover. I called the company that makes this and explained how they were not working correctly. They insisted it was my fault for not taking the unit apart and cleaning it on a weekly basis.

I told them that was crazy, I never had to do that with an inhaler before. I also told them I have heard others complain about their product and they did not seem at all concerned. I don't have severe asthma attacks, but if I did I do not see how I would be able to take apart and clean the unit while gasping for breath. This is a danger to those who have bad attacks and a ripoff for everyone who buys it. I have contacted the FDA in hopes that they will remove this dangerous product from the market.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2015

After being sober for a year, my life saving generic Albuterol inhaler was changed to ProAir HFA. It tasted just like vodka. Well guess what happened? Didn't take long before I was back on the booze. It is a daily fight to not drink. The latest insult is my ProAir inhaler now tastes like vodka and cheap incense and gives me a severe headache. I would think it may have been produced in India but canister says Ireland. Sad that those of us with lung diseases (I have asthma/COPD emphysema) will have to struggle for breath until the day we die because of some bs about fluorocarbons destroying the ozone layer. Ozone layer is damaged due to numerous puncture wounds from aerospace technology.

Original review: July 12, 2015

I have had over 20 of these inhaler. This one has a rosy taste and smell. It does not relive my symptoms after the first two puffs. I been using this inhaler for years. As a matter of fact I called the doctor to get more mess because it is getting worse.

Original review: July 8, 2015

Our 3rd son has Reactive Airway Disease, which in his case is an asthma-like response to respiratory viruses. We have always used albuterol with a nebulizer and it has generally seemed to help, but this past year one doctor prescribed an inhaler plus a mask. It seemed much more convenient, and worked for awhile, but we certainly haven't used the 200 doses it claims to provide. We usually only have to use it for a few days before he's better, and have only used it for two or three colds since we got it, so maybe 100 puffs max have been used (and it should be less than this, because we alternate use with the nebulizer).

When I got out the inhaler this time, it read in the 80's in terms of doses left. Then after using it for 4 puffs (2 puffs each, 4 hours apart) it said that it had run out. I found complaints on this forum and now shocked and upset about the problems this inhaler has and plan on complaining to the company. My husband is an attorney and if he weren't working full-time I would ask him to consider looking into this as it seems deeply wrong that a life-saving medicine is not a) working as prescribed and b) giving very low or inaccurate doses for what it claims.

Original review: June 28, 2015

I was on a Delta flight to ATL from MSP. The plane pushed away from the gate, delayed due to frozen components in the aircraft. Jet fuel power burner blowers were trained into an opening in the bottom of the plane for over 30 minutes. The exhaust fumes entering the cabin smoked up the air so badly that we couldn't see halfway to the front of the plane. This eventually triggered the worst asthma attack of my life. I calmly used my HFA based rescue inhaler and gave it time to work. Then later repeatedly with no relief of symptoms, I told the flight attendant that I thought I was having a medical emergency.

She said to just hang on that it would be over soon. Finally other concerned passengers who were fearful both for me and themselves standing, clogging the I isle way, offered to help. It was then that I remembered that I might have a 6 year old expired CFC inhaler in my computer bag in the overhead storage several seats up. Once it was retrieved for me I used it 3 puffs and I had relief within a minute or so. I am glad to be alive. I documented this event with Delta and they apologized and sent me an S75 gift certificate from Amazon.

ProAir HFA Inhalers Company Information