2.3/5 (299 ratings)

About ProAir HFA Inhalers

ProAir HFA Inhalers Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ProAir HFA Inhalers?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about ProAir HFA Inhalers?

Original review: June 27, 2019

I have been using ProAir for several years and have been having problems when product is half used up. Become very tired, upset stomach. Starting a new inhaler, clear the problem in a few days but trouble reoccur when inhaler is about half used. I have filed complaints with the distributor with no results. I filed a complaint with the FDA. More people having problems with this product need to contact the FDA and file a complaint. You can get information on how to contact the FDA at fda.gov. There is a rep in each state you can call and file complaint.

Original review: May 23, 2019

I have been using another product but my insurance switched me to the generic version of the ProAir inhaler manufactured by Teva. I noticed an immediate difference after the first couple of doses. The product does not propel out of the inhaler and it doesn’t seem to last as long as my other inhaler. When I returned it to the pharmacy, they told me they couldn’t do anything about it & gave me a number to call Teva directly. Teva told me to rinse the inhaler every day or two & that should solve the problem, but after rinsing, drying & using - it still does not propel out of the dispenser with any force and the medicine does not seem to last the 4 hours between doses. Teva has agreed to replace it (so another trip to the pharmacy today) but I am worried that this medicine is just not effective. Feeling a bit helpless since I need this to breathe...

Original review: May 10, 2019

Just started on another medication last night as I am having increased SOB and non productive cough. Asthma Dx at age 5 COPD at age 27 NOT/NEVER a smoker. I had recently be switched due to insurance. I was feeling as If I was going crazy. Being a medical professional one should not have to question the product intended to save your life. I see similar stories here. I can't say I'm relieved though.

Original review: April 15, 2019

This product is just for a money maker. It does not work, does not get into lungs and is useless but insurance Medicare will only pay for ProAir, with a co pay of $138.00. Why am I paying a insurance premium and can only be prescribed a garbage product that does not work. Eugenie **.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I have been on ** since 2007. My insurance company switched to ProAir because of the price. I used all of this product in 1 week. It is like using "NOTHING" at all. I am surprised it is even on the market or someone hasn't died from not getting enough meds in their lungs to breathe. Thank GOD I still had some ** left. My Lung Doctor had to send a letter of "Medical Necessity" stating I can not use their preferred brand. She has to send this every year because my insurance only covers ProAir, unless they approve the **. I would like to let this company know, they need to make this product better, not just cheaper. PROAIR has Ethanol in it and it still is no good. Rhonda **.

Original review: March 6, 2019

Hi. Respiratory Therapist AND lifelong asthmatic here. ProAir is awful. In my years of experience, ProAir is essentially watered down **. It doesn’t even matter about the delivery method, when the actual medication is trash. ** is the only way to go. If they still had CFC’s as the propellant it would be even better???? (Kidding). But seriously, if ProAir works for ya then by all means, go crazy. If you’re having trouble finding relief, go with the real bronchodilators.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Had the prescription filled on the 28th of December, came home and it didn't work, took it back to the CVS pharmacy, pharmacist (and I call him that very loosely) said take it home and run hot water into it, I wanted it replaced, Mr. Compassion wouldn't do that. Tried that, and of course it didn't work, called them back and asked for a replacement again, said he couldn't do that. I would have to bring this one back and he would try to get it to work. Right that's all I have to do is run back and forth to the pharmacy. Long story short, my friend took it back, brought it back to me and it didn't work either. Called the company. Explained the problem, got the same BS, run hot water over it. Whoa!!! I got one puff and it's dead again. Customer service sucks too!! Sorry nothing we can do. But can sure as hell rake that money in can't you.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

The inhaler works the first few times you use it, then nothing. No safeguard to keep the bottle of medication in the inhaler so while you are struggling to get it to work, bottle will fall out on the floor repeatedly. Unbelievable that doctors prescribe this and insurance pays for it.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I have used this inhaler for many many years. I don’t know of any other option. It keeps getting more expensive and 3-4 times I’ve received an inhaler that doesn’t work. It doesn’t spray out and the pharmacy can’t replace it. They help me try to unclog it but in the process they just waste “pumps”. Frustrating and dangerous.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I have had asthma my whole life, since age 8. I am nearly 50 so it's been awhile. I have always been stable since about age 18 when I knew how to manage things. The last 2 years my insurance company has decided to deny me ** or ** inhalers that I have been using for decades. ProAir is always clogged and very meager when it does work. I have had to resort to using relatives inhalers that they don't use just to breathe. This is a travesty. I suppose my insurance co doesn't have to pay very much for ProAir compared to the other actual effective inhalers.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I have had asthma all my life and I was just prescribed PROAIR. I don't feel that it's helping me at all. I have acute bronchitis and bronchospasm right now. I have an infection in my lungs. I was previously on ** which was helping me with but I had an allergist who wanted to help me with asthma and took me off it. The asthma is worse then ever especially because I'm sick now it has exacerbated. I'm thankful to see that I am not alone. I will never buy this inhaler again.

I

Original review: July 6, 2018

I have very bad asthma from the burn pits when I was deployed to Iraq. I always have a feeling like my lungs are squeezed and I can barely get enough air. I almost throw up in the mornings, especially out of the shower. I can always wheeze if I push air out hard. I have used about every inhaler on the market from **. It's taken me a while to get an appt with the doc, so I've been without an inhaler for a while. When I finally was seen, I was prescribed the ProAir inhaler and gave it a first try. I took two heavy puffs that I held in the lungs for about 8 seconds each. It irritated my lungs really badly and I started coughing uncontrollably. I began to lose consciousness and fell over on the bed and waited until I gained full consciousness. It was scary not knowing if that was the end of me.

After I was better, I began to wheeze badly and there was a feeling of bubbles or like a flap in my esophagus when I would breathe in and out. Eventually I began to cough crazy again and a bunch of phlegm came up immediately. After the phlegm came out, I felt 10 times better. The pressure on the chest wasn't there and I felt like I was taking every bit of air I was breathing in. After about 10 minutes, I started to feel tingly and light headed. I gave it three stars because of how much better my lungs feel and left off the two stars for the almost making me lose consciousness and the after effect of the tingling and lightheadedness. The results of this inhaler make me think that I was slowly drowning on my phlegm and this inhaler brought all of the fluid out.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Now that I have to use ProAir because Medicaid will not pay for any other I'm beginning to feel like my death is coming. The delivery system had almost killed me from being clogged and new, I was away from home. The medication helps me get more air for survival on a daily basis. But the medication keeps my lungs sore. I use to follow a healthy exercise to keep my lungs strong. I can't do it anymore. Now oxygen at night. I’ve cried out for help, for change. The window is closing fast for any chance of extending my life. I have COPD. ProAir is killing me. My heart and prayers go out to everyone that suffer from this inhaler.

Original review: May 28, 2018

I was using ** and it wasn't great but it controlled my spastic breathing. My insurance company decided to change to this crap. I do mean crap. I have not been able to rest, my blood pressure is elevated, and I feel like I am overdosing on this to get it to work. I have tried sitting, standing, walking, and laying down and nothing works. I already use ** up from 250/50. I have had an ambulance called because someone thought I was dying in my sleep. I have gone back to a better brand and just pay $300 out of my pocket for peace of mind.

Original review: April 29, 2018

My husband was just diagnosed with the starting of COPD. He had Bronchitis which triggered the lung condition. He was prescribed ** which worked very good when I took him to Urgent Care. He had a follow-up with his doctor and the doctor prescribed ** but our prescription plan gave him ProAir. We thought all of them were the same which is not true. The ProAir pump was faulty from the beginning. The first dose nearly came out and this is every time he used it. He ran out of puffs quickly. I don't understand with so many complaints the manufacture of this pump don't look to improve the performance.

Original review: April 19, 2018

The last 5 inhalers I have gotten seem to work OK for 10 or 15 puffs. After that, it might take 4 tries to get 2 doses dispensed. This seems to be a continuing problem according to reviews here. What can be done about this poor quality medication. Asthma is no fun, and worse when you pay out good money for a product and it doesn't work worth a crap!

Original review: April 10, 2018

Given there are not that many inhalers on the market we seem to be left with little choice. The ProAir does not deliver enough product to do the job. In fact the first delivery is so weak. It's useless and it takes at least two more to get enough of the medication to work. Plus being short of breath the first puff is difficult to does very little and the next puff barely works. Sometimes it take up to four puff just to do the job of my old inhaler's two puffs. Yet we are penalized by only getting 200 puffs per unit and that's suppose to last us a month. What a joke. My insurance only pay $12 per Rx for this inhaler and I have to pay the rest at full price. What a joke.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

Even though the metered dosage states there 183 does left, there is not enough propellant to deliver the ** in an emergency. I have researched online and found many other complaining about the same issue. What is being done about it? The company is totally unresponsive. They should be forced to replace and do a recall on defective ones.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

Proair HFA albuterol inhaler - Total rip off. Been using those PROAIR inhalers for 3 years now. They stop putting out puffs of medication after around 10 puffs. The counter still shows there are 102 puffs left and it is not stopped up or dirty. Been happening on all of them I have gotten. This is a very dangerous situation for us people with COPD and wake up in the middle of the night gasping for air and then the new inhaler you just got does not work. This is a serious thing and something must be done about it.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2017

These inhalers do not work. I use to take 1 or 2 puffs. Now it takes 6 and that’s if anything comes out when you use it! This is supposed to be a rescue inhaler and when you get up at 2 am during an asthma attack and have to have 6 puffs and then a few more in 15 minutes I’d say it’s not worth having. These inhalers need to be removed from the market as they're pretty much worthless. Oh and good luck getting 200 doses and I do mean cleaning them 2-3 times weekly and everything they say you have to do. Just plain worthless!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I am generally a positive person. I don't buy into conspiracy theories, don't pay attention to the media and form my own opinions. But I understand there are certain aspects of the world in which we live that are so ** up, they are genuinely frightening to me and cannot be ignored. An example of one such thing is the Proair HFA inhaler. It is a result of Big Pharma, probably the most destructive and evil entity to ever exist on this planet. As a kid and teenager, I used ** for my asthma which was mostly exercise induced. And ONE of those yellow inhalers cost $8 and lasted for 1-2 years... and ALWAYS worked... Even AFTER is was practically empty. In emergency situations such as being without my inhaler in the middle of the night, I could rely on **, which was sold over the counter at 24-hour retailers.

I am calling out this Proair HFA as being the most ridiculous, rude, and disgraceful gestures to asthma sufferers that could possibly be imagined. It makes me sad. I don't have insurance at the moment and the inhaler costs $65.00. This piece of crap inhaler works MAYBE for ten puffs and then nothing. I have 4 that read there is 100 puffs left and NOTHING. On top of the blatant design flaw of the propellant, I have become IMMUNE to the medication and my symptoms are not relieved. I will be paid back for my expenses one way or another. Is anyone aware of a class action suit against this piece of junk company. Very disrespectful and very disappointing. These types of freaks, running this company, are at the root of the decaying moral fiber of our societies across the globe. They have to be stopped.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

Just bought the inhaler on Wednesday, worked fine for 3 days and crapped out when it's supposed to be 90% full. It just doesn't give anything. It's not dirty, just fails to work. This is the second one. Will use ** from now on, but my child is in severe danger now without it, and unable to participate in today's athletic events. I recommend that you do NOT buy this product and if it is prescribed, request a different product from the pharmacist. By the way, **, or something of that name doesn't work either. We've used ** for years without incident. This product is awful and should be taken off the market.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

Canisters stop propelling before empty. These red inhalers are crap! I can't tell you how many I have thrown out before learning that you are supposed to clean out the canisters if they become clogged. 30 years using inhalers and this is the only brand that have ever clogged on me! And it is every one.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

20 plus years asthmatic has tried everything on the market. Proair isn't working anymore like ** does. It clogs and doesn't open me up anymore -- but that's all the drug Pusher doctor will prescribe for me if it wasn't for my nebulizer of 5 years I wouldn't be getting a strong stream of medicine from it the two new overpriced nebulizers I just purchased put a very weak stream of medicine nothing like before. ** costs $850 what a rip off! My copay is 20 bucks. In addition to aerosol spraying overhead daily worldwide they're going to reduce the meds for asthmatic peoples? Carrying out agenda 2030 is getting real easy for the globalist elitists taking away medication that works from patients who will DIE NOW. I was wondering why Proair didn't work anymore-- JUST got schooled by all the other asthmatics and their experiences, thanks!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

When I use ** in a nebulizer I get instant results - peak flow volume goes up 60 percent with my asthma. But my ** HFA inhaler doesn't help at all. After I use it, I'm still wheezing - maybe even tighter than before. Why? Is there something in the propellant?

Original review: June 26, 2017

I had very bad asthma as a child and young man. ** CFC was a lifesaver for me since the 1960s. Then around 2000 they changed the formulation. The new HFA inhaler propellant was half as powerful as the CFC and doses were very much less effective. The old inhaler was effective until it was completely empty. Not so the new one. The dose is not constant and when it is about half empty it is very much less effective. Beyond that you may as well bin it.

I understand GSK were able to renew the patent on ** after replacing the CFC propellant. That seems to me to be a more compelling reason for investing millions changing a tried and trusted medicine than removing the minute amount of CFC that would be exhaled to the atmosphere. My asthma has receded with time but I still carry ** HFA everywhere. It is enough to relieve a tight chest which is all I get now. But 30 years ago I doubt it would have been. Inhalers should have been exempted from CFC regulations. Their value to patients far exceeded their negligible effect on the environment.

Original review: June 1, 2017

I've been using ** and ** since 1978. Always got the relief they're supposed to give. I was prescribed ** by the VA when hospitalized in November. I wasn't getting better and wound up going to the ER where I was treated with **. I went home feeling worse than when I went to the ER in the first place! (Initially the ** works fantastically, but the side effects are debilitating! That's one to avoid, too.) I was prescribed that combo as well as more **.

It is now June 1 and I have been struggling for breath constantly due to the use of **, until I decided to look up complaints. Today is the last day of my use of **. I believe now that either the propellant and/or the ethanol in ** are the culprits and don't know how this medicine got past the trials. After reading some of these reviews, especially the one that blames ethanol, I'm sure that it's the ethanol that's the culprit and who knows what is in the propellant?

The fact that the manufacturer continues to make a product that makes the users worse is deceptive and criminal and should be looking at a Class Action lawsuit. How many patients have died from bronchospasm that we don't know about? I came pretty close myself but had the nebulized ** at home to save me. So, no more **! I will call Express Scripts (my mail order pharmacy compliments of the U.S. Government and my disability) tomorrow to see what can be done to get ** from them. My success or lack of will be the topic of another review.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2017

With the new propellant in these sprays I find my asthma gets worse my lungs get tighter. I actually start feeling better about 4 to 6 hours when the medicine starts to wear off. I have the same issue with the steroid inhalers like **. I use mostly my nebulizer now at home because the liquid medications used in the nebulizer work. The FDA really needs to let the Makerbot back to the old versions of ** and other inhalers including generics. It a waste of money and dangerous to people's health.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2016

My son was given the inhaler at an ER visit to the hospital due to his asthma flare-up. At the ER, they gave him the prescription of **. He had used ** before and never had any problems with the prescription. We just so happened to not have an updated prescription, since he hasn't had any problems with his asthma for a long while. Just recently when using the **, two of the bb sized balls that help to mix the meds came out into his mouth when using the medication! I thought at least he was old enough to tell me of the incident... imagine if it were a young child that this could have happened to?! What if the bb sized balls went into my son's lungs when breathing the medication in?! They seriously need to do a recall on this product.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2016

I ended up in the emergency room 3 times during the time I was using this inhaler brand. The last time, I was actually admitted to the hospital. The night before, I was at the airport where I worked. I could barely breathe and I ended up calling the airport paramedics who gave me 2 nebulizer treatments. By the next morning, I was just as bad. I tried driving myself to the hospital but I couldn't make it. I pulled into a fire department parking lot that was on the way and ended up being taken to the hospital by medic unit. I now use ** and never have any problems.

ProAir HFA Inhalers Company Information