Unitron Hearing Aids

Compare Hearing Aids

Research top Hearing Aids recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

First these UDirect 3 aids were supplied by the US Veterans Affairs in 2015. Up until my start of using these aids, I was using aids made by Oticon Alta PRO BTE. Since getting them from the VA in 2014, the have been faultless perfect pitch hearing. I could make and answer calls, listen to music or books with the push of one button. Then we come to the UDirect 3, it does none of these. Well it will answer a call, but not make one and I have plug in a cord to listen to books. On a scale of 1 to 5 I would give it a 1.5 but I could only give it a 2, why well along with the other items listed. Volume control is lacking, I can have them set to a medium setting and for no reason the volume will start BOOMING and stay that way until I set the volume lower. Even at the lower range they will start booming again, the FOB has nothing to do with it. I can turn the fob off and it will still boom.

I have returned them to the VA twice and the audiologist would return them saying they couldn't repeat the problem, but while sitting in front of her they started booming again. I pulled one out and she could hear it across the room. But she told me to take them anyway and see if it got better. Right!!! So does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? The VA blew it off saying it was the fob, I left the fob home and was 30 miles away listening to high-pitched radio. I guess that fob has a long range! The model is UNITRON MOXI DURA PRO RIC serial numbers ** warranty until 10/01/2018. One thing the VA did find that the FOB was defective and it was replaced with a new one, didn't help! I'm not a Fake!

I've had the Unitron Moxi Kiss hearing aids for going on 4 years now. Each year they need to be sent in for repair, or replacement. They've not gotten wet, or dropped, or abused, they just go out. Don't bother calling Phonak (they manufacture both Unitron and Phonak), they don't have any support, or customer service. They won't even talk to lowly consumers. They say go back to where you purchased them. Yes that's right, they won't talk to the people who keep them in business, go figure.

I have been using the very expensive Unitron Maxi Yuu for 5 or more years. They are my first hearing aids and have been trouble-free. One did fail when wet by shower. My audiologist had it replaced under warranty. My audiologist also sent each one back for refurbishment near the end of the warranty period. For the first year, the ear guards needed weekly cleaning. They were replaced with re-designed pair that have lasted 4 years with minimal maintenance. I was given a kit to replace the inner microphone screens. I have used about 7 of these over the five years. I am totally pleased.

My recommendation is to buy the latest, top-of-the-line, open-fit, Behind-the-Ear model. Put these on when you get up and off when going to bed. I've seen too many problems with 'hidden' aids. Come on, you're not fooling anyone... you are old and they can be seen! Like my mom, who at 90 said, "I don't want to use a walker, people will think I am old!"

I have been wearing hearing aids for over 10 years. I used Resound up until a year ago when I purchased Unitron. What a major mistake. The quality of sound is horrible and customer service does not exist. Very few audiologist carry the brand and no one seems to know how to adjust them. I am very disappointed and am anxious to pay off my balance so I can replace them. I tried contacting Unitron but never received a response. Do yourself a favor and stay away from this brand.

I am on my second set of Unitron hearing aids. My current set are Moxi 20's with remote control. Seeing the type of experience my friends a church members are and have had with other aids I feel my aids rank very high in reliability. Looking back over the last 4 years I can count all my problems of any sort on one hand. My hearing loss is not severe and involves both ears. The remote control is outstanding - the best over all I have seen. The ability to store new settings within a basic adjustment range is wonderful as is the sound sharpening feature. Love the music pass thru mode. To me the sound is very clean and natural. Going to upgrade soon to the new "north" platform aids which have a much faster processor and more advanced feature set.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Unitron Hearing Aids?

From time to time I have a problem with the MDX12 model. The speakers seem to catch a lot of lint and/or dirt. I try to brush them off but I am not sure where I should be brushing on the speaker. I seem to also use a lot of the ear wax guards. Is there any instructions for speaker care that might make this easier?

Expert Review

Shelley WebbSenior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.    More about Shelley→

Unitron is a global company that designs and manufacturers hearing instruments that has been in business over 50 years. With 20 international offices and 50 international partners, Unitron is a truly global company.

• Tech-savvy: Unitron has an excellent web presence, with a well-designed site and helpful online options.
  • Convenient: Because of Unitron’s large presence, it’s easy to find a location that makes it convenient for wearers and customers.
  • Customer service: Unitron calls itself a people-centered company, and treats their customers with respect.
  • Batteries: Unitron hearing aids go through batteries more quickly than some other hearing aid brands.
  • Technology: Wearers have mentioned that in some of Unitron’s bluetooth devices, there is a sound delay, which makes things echo for wearers.
  • Best for Aging listeners, people with hearing loss and children with hearing difficulties.

Compare Hearing Aids