2. Elder Care

Unitron Hearing Aids

Unitron
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.00/5

Unitron Reviews

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

Unitron hearing aids are CRAP. I spent the money and got the best they had to offer with all the bells and whistles and they kept cutting out, even a waitress standing 2 ft from me I couldn't hear them, I kept hearing the it's the wax, let's adjust blah blah blah. I've been back to my audiologist umpteen number of times, I even got them sent back and still they keep cutting out and these are cleaner than when I got them, they are actually worse for my hearing than if I didnt have anything in them at all, the app is crap too no features sometimes connects sometimes not... I recommend NOT spending any money or time into these they are nothing but a pain and not worth the hassle... I wish I could give less than 1 star.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

I have been using hearing aids for 21 years now. I have used analog In the ear, and behind the ear too. I have been playing the guitar in Church since 2005. None of the old analog hearing aids bothered at all for my playing. I have tried always to spend the least, comparing prices and going to where I had to, in order to find affordable good hearing aids. I have even purchased through eBay from other countries. Was using Resound PL 80 for a few years, worked well and still are after 5 years. Last year I decided to buy modern good hearing aids with streaming artifacts and all that. I spent $3,200.00 for the T Insera 600 Unitron Hearing aids recommended by my Audiologist.

I have had them for a year now. In the past year I have gone to the audiologist around six times trying to program them so that I can play the guitar. It is impossible. My Audiologist has tried so hard. The last time, around 3 months ago she even had a technician from Unitron assist her to try to help me. No way that I can even use those hearing aids in church with the sound system on. It is HORRIBLE. I’m hardly using them in daily life. If I’m watching TV and turn on a fan, I can’t understand anything from the TV, no matter what program I use in the hearing aids. Sounds are distorted, music doesn’t even feel like music.

I have severe to profound hearing loss but LOVE music. Worship music is my passion and playing the guitar, ukulele and whatever instrument I can learn. I’m always back to the Resound PL80 programmed for me from England for less than 200.00 by an eBay technician, maybe even refurbished. The T Insera 600 are functioning, I take care of my hearing aids and have them for years. But I feel that I spent too much for what I thought was better and turned out a waste of money. More expensive is not really better. I appreciate my Audiologist’s hard work and effort but I will never again buy Unitron.

Get expert buying tips about Hearing Aids delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

Hearing aids cost $5,000. With 2 years left on the warranty Unitron is telling us they cannot replace a faulty hearing aid. We have been told that the problem is ear wax. The aids were sent to be repaired. We picked them up, on the way home they malfunctioned again. Took them back a few days later and were again told ear wax. Using a 12 year old Starkey hearing aid has been our only recourse. The Starkey is still working with no "ear wax" issues. The sound is not as clear as a properly working Unitron, but at this point all we have is a $2,500 earplug. Customer service from both Unitron and Foust Audiology has been the worst I have experienced. Biggest waste of $5,000 ever.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

It is a wonderful hearing aid, however, I purchased an Apple XR phone only to discover I can no longer link my hearing aids. I contacted Unitron only to hear nothing but crickets. My audiologist indicated they heard from Unitron that a fix was being worked on, but that was some time ago.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

My elderly mom purchased these hearing aids and shortly after realized she could not use them. Bothered her ears, felt way too big, gave her headaches, etc. Because she did not return right away even though she was not using them brand new in box, Doctor will not reverse $2900 dollar charge. She doesn’t even have them and gave them back. We have been disputing charge with my Care Credit account for months. Please assist. I have all the paperwork. I live in different state than my mom. I feel she is not good candidate for aids. I feel she didn’t understand contract nor hear clearly and feel she was taken advantage of. Thank you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Unitron Hearing Aids?

Original review: April 16, 2019

February 2018 purchased Unitron Tempus Moxi 500 rechargeable hearing aids for my 88 year old mother. We chose this particular model because Mums fingers are riddled with arthritis distorting her fingers and ability to deal with changing tiny hearing aid batteries. Within 6 months one battery has to replaced. We are told faulty... 8 months the other battery needs replacing. April 2019 now the batteries are only lasting approximately 6 hours each 24 hours. What! Contact the clinic where I purchased the hearing aids and they advise me Unitron have learnt the batteries will not last what we were initially told and provided me a copy of the letter of apology, from Unitron to the clinic saying the batteries will not last what they said before.

Fact: I paid for hearing aids that are rechargeable and will last around 12 months and the battery would last all day and into the evening and not having to recharge. The clinic said put the aids on the charger during the day.... I don’t understand so my mum cannot hear while we recharge the battery that is not what we paid for. TOTALLY MISLEADING. I would like to know where this purchase fits within Australian Consumer Law and will be contacting appropriate authorities to get advice, and lodging a compliant with the ombudsman. I would not have purchased these hearing aids if I knew the battery had to be recharge during the day. Plus we had to continue returning to the clinic for batteries because they are useless. Not acceptable Unitron and I am disappointed. My 88 year old Mother has had her quality of life reduced because she cannot get a replacement without cost as Unitron has taken money for a product that has not be delivered...

Original review: April 10, 2019

An absolute waste of $4,500.00. I purchased the Unitron T Moxi All 800 because I wanted the connection to a smartphone and the conversation in a noisy environment functions. So far no problem with the phone function but the conversation in noisy environments is hopeless. The overall sound quality is absolutely abysmal in everyday situations. I have been back to the the audiologist many many times trying to get the HEARING function of the aids suitable for me. Whilst I can hear people speaking most of the time I cannot hear clearly. Certain noises are PAINFUL. Previously I had a Widex...so much better.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I had my hearing aids upgraded in July 2017. The new upgrade was touted to improve hearing by allowing the user options to switch between normal conversation, conversation in ambient noise, and when listening to music. There was no discernible difference. The Bluetooth function supposedly allowing you to take calls delivers poor sound quality at low volume and if the volume level is increased the feedback and distortion is jarring and unpleasant. On resetting my cellular device I lost the link to the Unitron site that allowed minor adjustments and have not been able to communicate with the site since.

Original review: June 26, 2017

I got these hearing aids on 2/22/16 and the right one quit working around 7/1/16. I took it to the Hearing Group and they sent it to the company to fix it. I got it back and it worked for a while then quit again. I took it back again and they sent it in again and the company fixed it again. The the third time the right ear quit working again and I took it in again and they sent it to the company to get fixed and then they both worked for a while. Then on 6/12/17 the left side hearing aid had quit working & again I took it to them and they sent it to the company and it was supposedly fixed. Now on 6/24/17, the left ear is not working again. I do feel that they should just make me a replacement pair!! It is very frustrating to pay $4.565.00 and have to bring these hearing aids in over and over and not have them working correctly.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2016

First these UDirect 3 aids were supplied by the US Veterans Affairs in 2015. Up until my start of using these aids, I was using aids made by Oticon Alta PRO BTE. Since getting them from the VA in 2014, the have been faultless perfect pitch hearing. I could make and answer calls, listen to music or books with the push of one button. Then we come to the UDirect 3, it does none of these. Well it will answer a call, but not make one and I have plug in a cord to listen to books. On a scale of 1 to 5 I would give it a 1.5 but I could only give it a 2, why well along with the other items listed. Volume control is lacking, I can have them set to a medium setting and for no reason the volume will start BOOMING and stay that way until I set the volume lower. Even at the lower range they will start booming again, the FOB has nothing to do with it. I can turn the fob off and it will still boom.

I have returned them to the VA twice and the audiologist would return them saying they couldn't repeat the problem, but while sitting in front of her they started booming again. I pulled one out and she could hear it across the room. But she told me to take them anyway and see if it got better. Right!!! So does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? The VA blew it off saying it was the fob, I left the fob home and was 30 miles away listening to high-pitched radio. I guess that fob has a long range! The model is UNITRON MOXI DURA PRO RIC serial numbers ** warranty until 10/01/2018. One thing the VA did find that the FOB was defective and it was replaced with a new one, didn't help! I'm not a Fake!

Not sure about Unitron?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right hearing aid for you.

Unitron Hearing Aids expert review by Shelley Webb

Unitron is a global company that designs and manufacturers hearing aids. Unitron has been in business for more than 50 years and has 20 international offices and 50 international partners. Unitron hearing aids are sold at many hearing clinics and audiology offices throughout the United States and many other countries.

• Product selection: Unitron offers a wide selection of hearing aid options, including the Moxi, Stride and Max behind-the-ear models and many options for discrete in-the-ear and in-the-canal receivers. Each model is available in several designs and configurations to fit your budget, hearing loss pattern and preferences. They are also available in several skin tones and other colors.

• Award winning innovation: Unitron has received the Red Dot award in innovation for 2014, 2015 and 2016. Among its innovative contributions to the hearing aid industry is the new Moxi Now receiver-in-canal model, which features a behind-the-ear body with a tiny in-the-canal receiver. The Moxi Now is the smallest receiver-in-canal hearing aid on the market.

• Convenient locations: Unitron is a major name in the hearing aid industry, and its products are sold through hearing centers around the country. You can use the Unitron’s website to locate an audiologist or hearing specialist near you who offers Unitron products.

• Flex:trial: Unitron’s distributors participate in its Flex:trial program, which allows customers to take home a pair of hearing aids to try without a commitment to purchase.

• Helpful website: Unitron has a helpful web presence, with a well-designed site and helpful online options. You can complete a free hearing assessment, learn about hearing loss and hearing aid options, download user manuals, view informative videos and more.

• Best for: aging listeners, people with hearing loss and children with hearing difficulties.

by Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Unitron Company Information