3.0/5 (64 ratings)

About Equinox Fitness Clubs

Equinox Fitness Clubs Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Equinox Fitness Clubs?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Equinox Fitness Clubs?

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

I have been a member of this health club for over 15 years. Recently I relocated my residence from the US to Europe. Before that, I called the customer department for more than two months before my intended move. The lady whose task was to represent the department failed to inform me that it was not a valid cancelation. In fact, I had to learn it in a hard way that I needed to cancel my account also in writing. After paying another month in the next billing period, I learned it from another representative that the cancelation time is three months. Again, a different time, another supervisor from the club told me that I needed to send a certified mail for my intent of cancelation. Even after living in Europe for months, I was still getting monthly charges on my credit card for a long-canceled service.

Each month, when I contacted the billing department, I kept learning anther rule that I had never heard before, which supposedly "prevented" the health club from canceling my membership. As it was going on for a significant number of months, it made me speculate whether I needed to lose my credit card just to disconnect it to this health club, because it seemed that it was no other way to get rid of the monthly charges.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

I cancelled my membership today when I learned that they are connected fundraising for Trump. What kinda of person works out a gym that supports a racist wannabe fascist dictator like Trump? If you give this company your money, you are a Trump supporter. Not only that but the staff is not very friendly and for what they charge, they should provide better service.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I went to Equinox on Wall Street in NYC and asked to take a tour of the premises. I live almost next door and thought it would be a convenient place to go. I was a member for years over a decade ago and I left because of the horrible customer service. I keep getting emails from them and so I decided to give it another chance only to be humiliated by the tall ** guy at the reception just because his manager who was the person in charge of showing the gym had left already even though it wasn’t 9pm yet. He was so dismissive and even told us to go to Crunch Fitness. Unbelievable!!!

Original review: April 25, 2019

Equinox is like the Hotel California. You can sign up anytime you like, but they make it awfully hard (and expensive) to leave. After many years of rising prices and diminishing service (booked classes, crowded locker rooms and rude employees), I decided to cancel my membership. At $250/month, the value proposition simply doesn't work for all but the most frequent users. I tried canceling in person, as required, and was surprised to find a 45-day notification period (effectively a $375 exit fee).

When I asked if there was any way I could cancel sooner, the "manager" punted my request to someone else. That other person pleaded with me over email not to cancel. When I reiterated my wish to cancel and again asked about the 45-day notification period, he didn't respond. I followed up a few days later and he still didn't address my question about the notice period. Instead, I got a form email saying my 45-day cancellation clock was starting that day, not when I originally attempted to cancel. That extra week or so of foot dragging effectively cost me an additional $50. Unsurprisingly, he ignored my request to back-date the start of the 45-day notice period to when I originally tried to cancel. The corporate ethos at Equinox appears to be: turn the customers upside down and shake. So maybe this employee will get a gold star in his personnel file for squeezing the last few $ out of me.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

They like to call themselves a luxury gym that offers an experience you can't find anywhere else, well not true. They are just a corporate company with no heart and soul. Impossible to deal with people. They respond by 'automated replies'.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Heard from a corporate Equinox employee that they keep raising rates to get people to quit, in order to keep classes and locker rooms less crowded. Well it’s working, after ten years, I’m finally quitting. The past 2 years, or ever since 30/60/90 left, it hasn’t been the same. Classes are lame, especially ALL their “signature” classes (even the new HITT one in 2019).

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I’ve been a member for 3 years now and have gotten a price hike every single year. It’s disgusting. They keep passing these fees on to their customers. It’s not my problem that they want to expand locations in other cities- they need to get investors and not punish their current members. Mediocre overhyped gym and will be cancelling.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I was told I would receive $100 credit for joining the club, after paying my initial fees. I joined on October 1, 2018. Whenever I ask about when I might see the credit appear on my account or credit card I'm told another department is handling it. I have asked several managers there several times, and no one at the studio seems to know a thing about how the credit is issued and when it will appear. It is almost Thanksgiving, and still there is no credit to my account.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I was a member of Equinox for a little over a year in 2013. Since I canceled my membership after leaving the area, I have been regularly contacted by Equinox with membership solicitations, and it has been impossible to get off of this solicitation list. If you want the experience of email harassment, Equinox is the gym for you. As for the membership itself: it was overpriced for the experience.

Original review: July 5, 2018

I received a flyer with no initial fee to join the club. This club offered a three days pass for us. My husband and I went to Huntington Beach to work out in June. Kelly kicked us out and complained that we did not make appointment. We tried to work out on July 4th again, her assistant, Tess **also kicked us out, she even wants to check the id. My husband showed his ID to her, she still did not allow us to use the facility. She told us it was a holiday so all of the classes were canceled and asked us to come back on the other day. Actually there was a yoga class going on upstairs. Tess is the most horrible person that I met in my life as an assistant manager. She lied us about the fees and policy. I won't surprised If this place is going to out of business soon. Because they provide the most terrible customer service to the customer. Why we can not use the facility? Just because we are Asian? Why we can not used the pass?

We came to this place three times already. The three days pass just a fraud advertising. What a bogus place to excise. We have not been the member yet, we already been treated like dirt, I can not image what will be happened after we are the member. Stay away from this place. You just waste your time and money. The most horrible and terrible fitness club I had ever visited in my life. Never let anyone to insult you with no reason in the US.

Original review: April 26, 2018

Terrible gym and management, people's belonging constantly going missing specifically watches. Happened to me and several other members, it’s an ongoing issue. The managing director (Gentry **) is seemingly careless which raise concerns whether it’s an inside job.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

The five months we were members, the dues were always mismanaged and always they wanted more money. They never enforced the rules and when push comes to shove, they will screw you. They advertise that their trainers are well educated and health professionals, it is pure **. My physicians told me never to ever let them instruct me, they are ignorant, and will cause you health issues.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

I gave my card to the club to charge for fitness training. The Club then charged the card for the ongoing membership which was incorrect. They already had a different card on file which they were told to use for monthly membership. When I explained what had happened, I was assured this was fixed. It is now 5 months later and the club still owes me ~$800. Then I called again and spoke directly to a manager, who also assured me he would get back to me. I heard nothing more from him. It has now been three weeks and still no refund for the charges which are fraud at this point.

Original review: July 24, 2017

The Equinox on the Upper West Side of Manhattan in New York City, is not only conveniently located, but has all the amenities you could ask for at a reasonable price. It has a sauna, roof top tanning, an out door track and pool.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2016

This gym is always clean, and the equipment is great, lots of it and in good working condition. The place never appears a year older, it always looks brand new. It's expensive. I rejoined because I had been so impressed by their classes in the past, but there are fewer classes and the popular ones are very crowded or you can't get in at all. I was not happy with the gym or the money I was spending on it, I just wanted the year to end (I was not aware when I rejoined that they had pulled out the pool).

When the year ended, they continued to charge me membership fees. When I asked about this I was told that I did not give the required 45 days' notice. Who runs this company, Wells Fargo? The club contacted me often via email during the year about different things. Why can't they not remind members about giving notice, OR, suggesting a renewal. Every indication is given that the contract is for one year. It felt like a case of, "Oh sorry, guess you should have read the fine print." This really seems like a deceptive business practice, and I would never recommend this club to anyone.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2016

I can get a lot of hours for a cheap amount of money with a high-quality gym with many equipment and their gym environment is very clean. The people who manage the gym are very friendly because they always welcome you with a clean towel with a bottle of water for us which really proves that they really care. It's extremely clean because every time I see people sweat, it's all over the place, but the next day I come in, it's shiny clean with equipment also clean. Very cheap for a gym that provides us a lot of things with some extra welcoming gifts when I go in the gym. I believe this gym is better than Planet Fitness.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2016

I love working out at Equinox when our family was on vacation recently. Their hours made it very convenient to try Equinox out for the first time and I'd love to workout there regularly. Their employees at Equinox were friendly and outgoing and showed me around as I was visiting their gym for the first time and looking forward to working out there. I really liked feeling that their gym was highly hygienic and thoroughly cleaned when I worked out there and liked using clean equipment. They were a little costlier than other gyms but I felt they were definitely worth it because of the cleanliness and their reputation. I also liked that this was just a one time visit for me so it fits in our budget better.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2016

The hours were manageable and it is good for someone working full time. Flexible hours are good for me and needed. I need easy access and Equinox was able to provide that to me. They were very approachable and gave me everything I needed. They were very informative and gave me information on all the products and gym offers available. The gym was very clean, in fact I constantly saw a worker cleaning the gym in some shape or form. I thought that all the benches were wiped down frequently. I thought the price was a bit too high. Synergy is much more reasonably priced. They seem to charge you for every amenity there. Couldn't believe that.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2016

The hours of operation were very good,.I had no problem fitting in time with work to go, good hours of operation, open for everyone with a busy schedule, not a problem for pretty much everyone. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, greeted with a smile and a hello and asked if there was anything they could help with. Very nicely dressed and nice looking. The facilities were extremely clean, the floors, the equipment, the bathrooms, locker rooms were all very clean and well kept. Very fresh looking and new looking as well. The cost was very reasonable compared to others in the area. The cost was worth the facilities, staff, cleanliness, and overall value of what you were getting for your membership. I would recommend it highly.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2016

The hours are perfect for me and I assume for everyone else. You will not or ever be disappointed. They work perfectly with my busy schedule. They are so friendly and cheerful. Not once have they ever been in a bad mood. It's such a wonderful and excellent atmosphere to be a part of. They are super clean and never dirty. I can tell that they maintain the facility extremely well. Not once have I seen a speck of dirt. They clean messes up immediately. The cost is perfect. They have something for everyone and anyone. They have costs that will work with everyone's budget and what they can afford!!!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2016

I go to the one in Summit, NJ, my twin daughters live there. I go there once per month and on holiday visits. WD 5:00am - 10:00pm/SS 7:00am - 8:00pm. Staff was very professional/well trained. I do not use a personal trainer, but in watching the training staff, they knew what they were doing. Front desk people were friendly. All employees were well groomed. Parking lot well kept, large spaces for SUVs. Exercise floor busy/little cluttered with equipment but very clean, locker room very clean, shower/bathroom are clean. The cost is high, around $200.00 per month - my daughters get me the membership for Christmas, since I am the de-facto-baby-sitter.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2016

The hours are great and it fits right into my schedule and my budget. They are so nice and generous and friendly at this place. I love the atmosphere when I walk in the door and how they treat one another. This place of business is okay. It used to be great and then the staff and their rules changed. I don't come to this place that much anymore. It isn't very worth it. I just don't prefer it. It isn't very clean. I don't think they do a very good job of keeping it clean either. It takes them forever. The price use to be extremely lower and then they got on a high horse and hike the price up when it isn't even worth it once so ever. The staff is rude & hateful and they don't like to help you.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2016

They allocated our possible time and whenever we need. They gave extra time also to workout. You can select your favourable time slots. The trainers are more kind and experienced. They don't show their faces at ever. All are friendly and good humor and easily approachable and clarify our doubts and provide good advices. The fitness center is very neat and clean. They clean regularly. And bathrooms also neat and they kept very hygiene product. So overall I'm happy for cleanliness. Cost is affordable. But sometimes they will cost for simple things like we are not follow the fitness rules like that. But okay compared to other fitness center.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2016

These are the hours of operation and great fun place to take family and children everyday. Has everything that you need for full exercising and body weight loss. The staff is very friendly and has so much knowledge of all equipment and uses of all the weight, machines and cross training equipment. Great advice and clear and easy friendly staff. I am very happy with the cleanliness of the place. All equipment is clean. The rest rooms are also very clean. All weight lift equipment is cleaned every few hours. The cost of the membership is very reasonable and the staff will even give you a coupon for additional member to join. Great prices and great value.

Equinox Fitness Clubs Company Information