Lose weight for good. How much can you lose?

We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

2.58/5

24 Equinox Fitness Clubs Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

I have been a member of this health club for over 15 years. Recently I relocated my residence from the US to Europe. Before that, I called the customer department for more than two months before my intended move. The lady whose task was to represent the department failed to inform me that it was not a valid cancelation. In fact, I had to learn it in a hard way that I needed to cancel my account also in writing. After paying another month in the next billing period, I learned it from another representative that the cancelation time is three months. Again, a different time, another supervisor from the club told me that I needed to send a certified mail for my intent of cancelation. Even after living in Europe for months, I was still getting monthly charges on my credit card for a long-canceled service.

Each month, when I contacted the billing department, I kept learning anther rule that I had never heard before, which supposedly "prevented" the health club from canceling my membership. As it was going on for a significant number of months, it made me speculate whether I needed to lose my credit card just to disconnect it to this health club, because it seemed that it was no other way to get rid of the monthly charges.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

I cancelled my membership today when I learned that they are connected fundraising for Trump. What kinda of person works out a gym that supports a racist wannabe fascist dictator like Trump? If you give this company your money, you are a Trump supporter. Not only that but the staff is not very friendly and for what they charge, they should provide better service.

Get expert buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I went to Equinox on Wall Street in NYC and asked to take a tour of the premises. I live almost next door and thought it would be a convenient place to go. I was a member for years over a decade ago and I left because of the horrible customer service. I keep getting emails from them and so I decided to give it another chance only to be humiliated by the tall ** guy at the reception just because his manager who was the person in charge of showing the gym had left already even though it wasn’t 9pm yet. He was so dismissive and even told us to go to Crunch Fitness. Unbelievable!!!

Original review: April 25, 2019

Equinox is like the Hotel California. You can sign up anytime you like, but they make it awfully hard (and expensive) to leave. After many years of rising prices and diminishing service (booked classes, crowded locker rooms and rude employees), I decided to cancel my membership. At $250/month, the value proposition simply doesn't work for all but the most frequent users. I tried canceling in person, as required, and was surprised to find a 45-day notification period (effectively a $375 exit fee).

When I asked if there was any way I could cancel sooner, the "manager" punted my request to someone else. That other person pleaded with me over email not to cancel. When I reiterated my wish to cancel and again asked about the 45-day notification period, he didn't respond. I followed up a few days later and he still didn't address my question about the notice period. Instead, I got a form email saying my 45-day cancellation clock was starting that day, not when I originally attempted to cancel. That extra week or so of foot dragging effectively cost me an additional $50. Unsurprisingly, he ignored my request to back-date the start of the 45-day notice period to when I originally tried to cancel. The corporate ethos at Equinox appears to be: turn the customers upside down and shake. So maybe this employee will get a gold star in his personnel file for squeezing the last few $ out of me.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

They like to call themselves a luxury gym that offers an experience you can't find anywhere else, well not true. They are just a corporate company with no heart and soul. Impossible to deal with people. They respond by 'automated replies'.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Equinox Fitness Clubs?

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Heard from a corporate Equinox employee that they keep raising rates to get people to quit, in order to keep classes and locker rooms less crowded. Well it’s working, after ten years, I’m finally quitting. The past 2 years, or ever since 30/60/90 left, it hasn’t been the same. Classes are lame, especially ALL their “signature” classes (even the new HITT one in 2019).

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I’ve been a member for 3 years now and have gotten a price hike every single year. It’s disgusting. They keep passing these fees on to their customers. It’s not my problem that they want to expand locations in other cities- they need to get investors and not punish their current members. Mediocre overhyped gym and will be cancelling.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I was told I would receive $100 credit for joining the club, after paying my initial fees. I joined on October 1, 2018. Whenever I ask about when I might see the credit appear on my account or credit card I'm told another department is handling it. I have asked several managers there several times, and no one at the studio seems to know a thing about how the credit is issued and when it will appear. It is almost Thanksgiving, and still there is no credit to my account.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I was a member of Equinox for a little over a year in 2013. Since I canceled my membership after leaving the area, I have been regularly contacted by Equinox with membership solicitations, and it has been impossible to get off of this solicitation list. If you want the experience of email harassment, Equinox is the gym for you. As for the membership itself: it was overpriced for the experience.

Original review: July 5, 2018

I received a flyer with no initial fee to join the club. This club offered a three days pass for us. My husband and I went to Huntington Beach to work out in June. Kelly kicked us out and complained that we did not make appointment. We tried to work out on July 4th again, her assistant, Tess **also kicked us out, she even wants to check the id. My husband showed his ID to her, she still did not allow us to use the facility. She told us it was a holiday so all of the classes were canceled and asked us to come back on the other day. Actually there was a yoga class going on upstairs. Tess is the most horrible person that I met in my life as an assistant manager. She lied us about the fees and policy. I won't surprised If this place is going to out of business soon. Because they provide the most terrible customer service to the customer. Why we can not use the facility? Just because we are Asian? Why we can not used the pass?

We came to this place three times already. The three days pass just a fraud advertising. What a bogus place to excise. We have not been the member yet, we already been treated like dirt, I can not image what will be happened after we are the member. Stay away from this place. You just waste your time and money. The most horrible and terrible fitness club I had ever visited in my life. Never let anyone to insult you with no reason in the US.

Equinox Fitness Clubs expert review by Joey Thurman

Equinox is a luxury fitness club chain with 91 locations in Massachusetts, Illinois, Connecticut, Florida, New Jersey, New York, California, Texas, Washington, D.C, Canada and the United Kingdom. It offers elite personal training, unique fitness classes and spa services.

• Tiered personal training: Equinox offers tiered personal training services based on the trainer’s experience level and expertise. You can choose between 1, 2, 3, 3+ and X level trainers at increasing price points.

• Fitness classes: Equinox offers many group fitness classes designed by its own team of trainers, such as Pure Strength, The Cut, The Pursuit, Fully Loaded and Barre + Band. Clients can book classes online to reserve their spots.

• Tier X coaching: Equinox offers a personal training and lifestyle management system called Tier X, which incorporates movement training, nutrition and regeneration services. For a fee, clients receive baseline assessments and work with a coach to develop a personal roadmap to fitness success.

• Pilates studios: All Equinox gyms offer dedicated Pilates studios with state-of-the-art equipment and specialized trainers. Members may receive one complimentary Pilates session.

• Spa: Most Equinox locations offer luxury spa treatments such as waxing, body treatments, massage, facial treatments and facial enhancements. These services are open to both members and non-members.

• Best for: athletes, fitness buffs and those who like a pampering gym experience.

Profile picture of Joey Thurman
Joey Thurman Fitness and Nutrition Expert

Joey Thurman is a nationally recognized and spin certified health, fitness, nutrition expert and television host He is the author of "365 Health and Fitness Hacks That Could Save Your Life." His work has been featured in publications such as Men’s Health, U.S. News and World Report, NPR, People Magazine, Shape, NY Post, Fitness Magazine, ‪Women's Health and many more.

Equinox Fitness Clubs Company Information