3.1/5 (61 ratings)

About Equinox Fitness Clubs

Equinox Fitness Clubs Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Equinox Fitness Clubs?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Equinox Fitness Clubs?

Original review: March 24, 2022

Very bad experience with Equinox. They change the hours of operation with no warning. Closing now at 8PM. Impossible to workout after work. And worst… They don’t cancel your subscription and continue charging your credit card. Do not recommend.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2022

1) Not nearly enough weighted machines. This gym has limited amenities and missing some.

2) Didn't feel comfortable there. Homeless all around building. Doorman just stays inside and hides. Does nothing about the homeless around the entrance of the building. Tents right across the street.
3) No pool.
4) No spa.
5) No suana.
6) Cold showers most of the time unless you sit there for a minute for them to warm up, wasting tons of water.
7) During COVID times they aren't making sure people wipe down equipment during busy times. People just walk away and they only clean a few times a day.

8) Steam room overcrowded and small, steam room has issues working at times without playing with wall switch. Not safe

Get buying tips about Gyms and Fitness Centers delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2022

Bad gym and service. I went to the Brickell unit to get a membership and the girl at the reception said I couldn't BUY A PLAN without making an appointment. What??? It's not possible, people wanting to buy and the person who works saying that I couldn't buy without making an appointment, oh seriously, I will never set foot in this gym. Rubbish place and poorly trained professionals, besides that, by chance, I received a message from a guy saying he had a promotion, then I asked what era he charged me a higher amount than the plan I was going to close... Ahahahahah joke.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2020

I quit because when I joined the new gym being built in my area as a "founding member" I was told that one of the benefits of joining 6+ months before the gym opened was that my rates would not go up. When rates were raised despite this representation, I decided to go elsewhere. Also, when I quit the front desk said I'd be reimbursed for the dues that had been automatically taken from my account for the following month. Management refused to do so. My advice: avoid businesses that make false representations either intentionally or by poorly training their staff.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2020

I’ve been a member at Equinox for 10 years. After finishing my workout and preparing to leave, someone stole my bag which had my ID and keys to my apartment. I approached the front desk and explained the situation. The woman at the front was clearly irritated by my intrusion of her day. She threw the items around in the lost and found drawer and said, “see, it’s not here!”. Her behavior and attitude were disgusting. This company has no heart and could care less about customer service - they only care about profit.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

Relocated from Detroit to Chicago and needed to provide them documentation of the move. My company put me up in temporary housing for two months to get to know the area before we signed a lease. Equinox was unable to provide me with what documentation they needed and kept denying what I sent over. Our lease term was "too short", but they could not tell me what the minimum was or any requirements after I asked multiple times.

I finally had to call their customer service number, where the rep (Stephanie) told me the policy and minimum were stated in my membership agreement. However, I had her email it to me and we read it together - it did not state any term minimum. She finally said her supervisor (Lisa) told her it was 12 months. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told there were none available. I believe Equinox is engaging in deceptive practices to make cancelling as difficult as possible. This whole process began on 12/30 and is still ongoing. The first email did not get a response for 9 days, the second for 4 days. There are multiple locations in Chicago, but I question returning to be a member now.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

I had a bad feeling when I walked into this club and deeply regret ever joining. One of their kickboxing instructor pushed me. He literally got up in my face yelling after I told him I might need to take the class slowly. His insistence led to me getting a strained hamstring and fractured ankle. Because of this injury, I later experienced a terrible concussion. Equinox never did anything to make amends, except offered me a free training session. I don't want their trainers within 10 miles of me. My experience was a terrible, negative, nightmarish life changing one. Please do not join this club.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

I have been a member of this health club for over 15 years. Recently I relocated my residence from the US to Europe. Before that, I called the customer department for more than two months before my intended move. The lady whose task was to represent the department failed to inform me that it was not a valid cancelation. In fact, I had to learn it in a hard way that I needed to cancel my account also in writing. After paying another month in the next billing period, I learned it from another representative that the cancelation time is three months. Again, a different time, another supervisor from the club told me that I needed to send a certified mail for my intent of cancelation. Even after living in Europe for months, I was still getting monthly charges on my credit card for a long-canceled service.

Each month, when I contacted the billing department, I kept learning anther rule that I had never heard before, which supposedly "prevented" the health club from canceling my membership. As it was going on for a significant number of months, it made me speculate whether I needed to lose my credit card just to disconnect it to this health club, because it seemed that it was no other way to get rid of the monthly charges.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

I cancelled my membership today when I learned that they are connected fundraising for Trump. What kinda of person works out a gym that supports a racist wannabe fascist dictator like Trump? If you give this company your money, you are a Trump supporter. Not only that but the staff is not very friendly and for what they charge, they should provide better service.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I went to Equinox on Wall Street in NYC and asked to take a tour of the premises. I live almost next door and thought it would be a convenient place to go. I was a member for years over a decade ago and I left because of the horrible customer service. I keep getting emails from them and so I decided to give it another chance only to be humiliated by the tall ** guy at the reception just because his manager who was the person in charge of showing the gym had left already even though it wasn’t 9pm yet. He was so dismissive and even told us to go to Crunch Fitness. Unbelievable!!!

Equinox Fitness Clubs author review by Joey Thurman

Equinox is a luxury fitness club chain with 91 locations in Massachusetts, Illinois, Connecticut, Florida, New Jersey, New York, California, Texas, Washington, D.C, Canada and the United Kingdom. It offers elite personal training, unique fitness classes and spa services.

• Tiered personal training: Equinox offers tiered personal training services based on the trainer’s experience level and expertise. You can choose between 1, 2, 3, 3+ and X level trainers at increasing price points.

• Fitness classes: Equinox offers many group fitness classes designed by its own team of trainers, such as Pure Strength, The Cut, The Pursuit, Fully Loaded and Barre + Band. Clients can book classes online to reserve their spots.

• Tier X coaching: Equinox offers a personal training and lifestyle management system called Tier X, which incorporates movement training, nutrition and regeneration services. For a fee, clients receive baseline assessments and work with a coach to develop a personal roadmap to fitness success.

• Pilates studios: All Equinox gyms offer dedicated Pilates studios with state-of-the-art equipment and specialized trainers. Members may receive one complimentary Pilates session.

• Spa: Most Equinox locations offer luxury spa treatments such as waxing, body treatments, massage, facial treatments and facial enhancements. These services are open to both members and non-members.

by Joey Thurman Fitness and Nutrition Advisor

Joey Thurman is a nationally recognized and spin certified health, fitness, nutrition expert and television host He is the author of "365 Health and Fitness Hacks That Could Save Your Life." His work has been featured in publications such as Men’s Health, U.S. News and World Report, NPR, People Magazine, Shape, NY Post, Fitness Magazine, ‪Women's Health and many more.

Equinox Fitness Clubs Company Information