4.8/5 (16 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Taylor Sansano
Edited by Jon Bortin

About HealthBanks

HealthBanks is a cord blood bank in California offering cord blood and cord tissue stem cell banking, as well as genetic testing and adult immune cell storage. Its process and storage services are backed by nearly 20 years of experience. Services include a financial guarantee: If cells fail to engraft, HealthBanks provides a full refund plus $50,000.

Pros

• Multiple payment options
  • Monthly plan available
  • $50,000 product guarantee

Cons

• Long-term contracts can be expensive

Bottom Line

HealthBanks is a technology-forward cell banking company that offers monthly payment plans. The company uses fully automated processing and robotic storage technology.

What is HealthBanks?

HealthBanks is a cord banking company with nearly 20 years of experience and over 110,000 public and private clients. With accreditations from organizations including FACT, AABB and CAP, HealthBanks is well established in the industry as a leader in stem cell research and support. Its practices are Good Manufacturing Practice-compliant for the immune cell banking industry.

HealthBanks uses premium technology and support to provide cord blood, cord tissue and mesenchymal stem cell banking, in addition to genetic testing and adult immune cell storage.

Outside of its services, HealthBanks is also a member of the Be The Match registry and pushes for advancements in stem cell research and cell and gene therapies.

How does HealthBanks work?

When you decide to work with HealthBanks, you'll enroll and receive a collection kit that you'll bring with you to the hospital when you give birth. Once you arrive at the hospital, you hand over this bag to your doctor or nurse, who will handle the collection process. Once collection is complete, you'll then call HealthBanks and schedule a pickup of the kit. After pickup, you'll receive a report once storage is complete.

HealthBanks uses a fairly standard collection method that most medical professionals are trained on. HealthBanks uses an FDA-approved sterile (and heparin-free) collection bag for use in C-sections. During its processing, HealthBanks utilizes an AXP processor to separate stem cells from other contents prior to storage. After testing is performed on the cells, a report will be sent directly to you for your information.

HealthBanks uses the BioArchive system for cryopreservation, tracking and retrieval of its cord blood units. After storage, HealthBanks will send a cell analysis report that details the total volume of blood collected, cell count and cell viability of your sample, plus a unique number with your sample’s exact location.

If your cord blood stem cells fail to engraft during transplantation, you’ll receive a full refund plus an additional $50,000.

HealthBanks packages

HealthBanks offers four packages. These plans are available in annual, 20-year and lifetime packages. All plans include a $50,000 engraftment guarantee, plus a price-match guarantee.

Bronze

• Storage for: Cord blood
  • Cost: Starts at $19.99 per month

Silver

• Storage for: Cord blood and cord tissue
  • Cost: Starts at $29.99 per month

Gold

• Storage for: Cord blood, cord tissue and mesenchymal stem cells
  • Cost: Starts at $39.99 per month

Platinum

• Storage for: Cord blood, cord tissue, mesenchymal stem cells and adult immune cells
  • Also includes: Genetic testing
  • Cost: Custom

How much does HealthBanks cost?

HealthBanks’ costs vary depending on the package you choose, with prices ranging from $19.99 per month to $39.99 per month or more.

PackagePrice
Bronze$19.99/month
Silver$29.99/month
Gold$39.99/month
PlatinumCustom pricing

You can also choose to pay for annual storage or for 20-year or lifetime storage. Keep in mind there may be a setup fee due when you enroll. HealthBanks does have a price-match guarantee, so if you find a lower price with a different company, make sure to let the company know.

HealthBanks FAQ

Where does HealthBanks store cord blood?

HealthBanks stores cord blood in Irvine, California. The facility is a single-story building constructed of 6-inch reinforced concrete and includes a police response security system, an emergency power backup system, and automatic sprinkler and alarms.

Does HealthBanks charge withdrawal fees?

HealthBanks does not charge any transplant cancellation fee other than shipping and the cost of returning the kit.

How does HealthBanks collect cord blood?

HealthBanks doesn’t collect cord blood; the nurses or doctors at the hospital will do that part. HealthBanks processes and stores cord blood at its facility in Irvine, California.

Is HealthBanks FDA-approved?

HealthBanks is registered with the FDA as a cord blood bank at the time of publishing. You can check its current registration status on the FDA website.

Is HealthBanks legit?

HealthBanks has been in business for more than 20 years and has offered adult immune cell banking since 2008. The company added cord tissue banking services in 2020. The company's focus on using automated technology helps reduce the cost of banking, and there's a monthly payment plan — though there is a setup fee.

Depending on how long you want to pay for storage, it can end up being expensive, and there’s no guarantee you ever use the stem cells. However, the peace of mind for some individuals is worth it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about HealthBanks?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about HealthBanks?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2022

HealthBanks had the best options as far as how their storage seemed like it was the most secure for longevity. I like that the technology was very cutting edge and that you had different options for the different packages. The sales rep was really helpful. I got a phone call and he explained everything about it. It just seemed the other companies were behind. The package was delivered to my house and the process was super easy. I put it in my go bag for the hospital. Overall, I was very satisfied.

Get buying tips about Cord Blood Banking delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 7, 2022

After contacting HealthBanks a customer service representative reached out right away. His name was Noah and was very personable and informative. I spoke with a few other cord banks but they were located back east and being from CA I was looking for something closer by so Irvine was perfect. There really are no hidden costs or fees, Everything is very straightforward. They give you three different options to choose from and the prices are very reasonable! I found a coupon so the initial setup was only $99 which was far more reasonable than anywhere else I looked. If you thinking about banking your baby's cord/tissue definitely consider HealthBanks!

HealthBanks response

Thank you for being our valued customer.

Original review: July 4, 2022

We did tons of research before deciding to use HealthBanks, and we did not regret at all. HealthBanks' technology is the best compared to all other cell banks which is important since we want the best quality. They also have been in business for long time and have tons of experiences. Their price is also one of the most affordable, which made easy for us. Jenny, the rep I spoke to was so friendly and knowledgeable. She took care everything and even reminded us what to bring to the hospital during the labor day. I would recommend HealthBanks to anyone who is considering cord blood banking.

HealthBanks response

Original review: July 2, 2022

The salesman was amazing. We had a little issue afterwards with someone when I set the date to come and collect the blood. They gave me some wrong information, but the salesman took care of it and came in-person to pick up the blood. Kudos to him. I did this to be covered. You never know if you ever need it in this life, and it's better safe than sorry. It could be beneficial for a close relative, more than so for my baby as a kid, as far as the researches go. I definitely feel safer to have that there, just knowing that if it's ever needed, it’s there.

HealthBanks response

Thank You Cristina. Glad you enjoyed our customer experience.

Original review: April 26, 2022

Everything was really professional with HealthBanks. The lady was very polite and thorough. Their prices were very reasonable too. The communication was also very good because there was a month I missed the payment because my account was being investigated so they froze my funds. I explained to them what happened and she said, “No problem. Just call us and let us know when the investigation is done.” It took the investigation close to another month to even be completed. Once it was completed, I told them to take out both payments and they said okay.

Everything about them has been too good to be true. I was really nervous that this wasn't a reputable company at one point, because they were so nice. But they sent me correspondence. They showed me the lab results of it, letting me know that it was tested, what was negative, and what RNA factors they ran, that was when I really knew it is a legit company.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2022

HealthBanks was brand new to us. We did an internet search and they seemed to be one of the better companies so we chose them. They were highly recommended. The part of choosing them and sending our stuff to them has been great. The person that helped me was fantastic and he did a perfect job. He can only tell you what he knows. If you have questions and they don't know the answer, they can always find out.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

The pricing was reasonable in HealthBanks. Their rep helped us pick up the cord blood, and he also dropped the box. That was very helpful at the time.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2022

We had gone with HealthBanks with our son when they were previously PacifiCord. Even though we moved cross country, we decided to go with them for our second child based on the quality of service and the technology they use. We felt most comfortable with them. It was definitely worth it with them.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2022

It is very good shopping and learning experience for us. Healthbanks spend a lot of time and with patience to let us understand this new technology and healthcare benefits. We have more confidence to choose Healthbanks. All process is very smooth and easy to set up. We have no problem with it.

HealthBanks response

Thank you for being a valuable customer. We strive to provide the best service and best technology for our customers.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2022

HealthBanks had the best price and the best reviews. I didn't put some information that was required, and he called us to say, “I need this information in order to process these.” He was very helpful. I already collect everything. I’m ready for the period between 12 to 14 weeks to get the confirmation that everything was at storage and everything was good. I have been waiting for that. I haven't received the confirmation. But so far, HealthBanks is a great company.

HealthBanks Company Information