ViaCord

ViaCord is a cord blood banking company that stores cord blood and cord tissue stem cells for families in all 50 states. The company is registered with the Food and Drug Administration and accredited by AABB for the processing and storage of umbilical cord blood stem cells. Families can pay for annual storage or prepay for 20 or 25 years. Over 500 customers have used stem cells stored with ViaCord for a transplant or medical research.

BOTTOM LINE

ViaCord processes and stores cord blood and cord tissue stem cells for private use. It also offers genomic testing for newborns, children and adults. The company guarantees storage fees for five years.

PROS

• Cord blood and cord tissue options
  • $35,000 product quality guarantee
  • 24/7 customer support
  • Multiple payment options

CONS

• Expensive
  • No guarantee you use the stem cells

What is ViaCord cord blood banking?

ViaCord allows families to store stem cells from a baby’s cord blood and cord tissue in case they want to use them in the future for a stem cell transplant. Customers can choose to store stem cells from umbilical cord blood only or from both cord blood and cord tissue. ViaCord processes cord blood and cord tissue and stores stem cells at its facility outside Cincinnati, Ohio. ViaCord is FDA-registered, AABB-accredited and CLIA-certified.

ViaCord has been in the cord blood banking industry for over 25 years, according to its website. Over 500 families have used their stored stem cells at ViaCord for treatment or research. The company states that transplants using stem cells processed and stored by ViaCord have an 88% success rate after one year.

How does ViaCord work?

You can sign up with ViaCord online or by phone. The company then sends you a health history questionnaire and service agreement, which you complete and return by email or fax. ViaCord next notifies your health care provider that you intend to bank your baby’s cord blood (and cord tissue, if you choose).

ViaCord sends you a collection kit to take to the hospital and give to your health care provider, which collects the cord blood. Within one to two hours after delivery, your family calls ViaCord, and it sends a medical courier to pick up the kit and transport it to ViaCord’s lab for processing and storage. ViaCord lets you know as soon as the collection kit arrives at the lab outside Cincinnati.

ViaCord processes the cord blood and cord tissue using cell separation, then cryogenically stores the stem cells in a five-compartment storage bag. If your family ever needs to use the stem cells, you contact ViaCord, and it provides documentation and samples to your health care provider and coordinates delivery to the appropriate facility.

ViaCord price

ViaCord pricing starts at $1,725 for cord blood processing, plus $175 per year for storage at the time of publishing. Pricing depends on which type of stem cells you want to store — cord blood only or cord blood plus cord tissue — as well as the number of children whose stem cells you are banking, whether you want to prepay for 20 or 25 years of storage and available promotions at the time of purchase.

For cord blood stem cells only, you can prepay for 20 years of storage for $2,765 or for 25 years of storage for $3,225. Adding cord tissue processing to cord blood increases the initial price from $1,725 to $2,595; storage prices double.

You can pay in full upfront, or you can choose a six- or 12-month payment plan, which increases the overall cost slightly. Additional services from ViaCord include DNA preservation ($175), a genetic insights panel ($650) and genome sequencing ($1,900).

ViaCord cord blood banking FAQ

Is ViaCord public or private?
ViaCord is a private cord blood bank. This means that only the family that pays to store the baby’s cord blood has access to the cord blood stem cells.
Is ViaCord FDA-approved?
Yes, ViaCord is registered with the FDA. You can confirm this registration by searching the FDA’s Human Cell and Tissue Establishment Registration (HCTERS) database.
Where is ViaCord stored?
ViaCord’s storage facility is located near Cincinnati, Ohio, and operates 365 days per year.
Does ViaCord offer placenta tissue banking?
ViaCord does not offer placenta tissue banking. It only processes cord blood and cord tissue.

Is ViaCord worth it?

ViaCord tends to be a bit more expensive than its competitors, but the company offers strong credentials, experience and a record of successful transplants using stem cells it has processed and stored. Its quality guarantee says that if your child’s stem cells fail to engraft during a transplant, the company will pay $35,000 toward securing an alternative source of cells. If you have decided to store your baby’s stem cells with a private bank, ViaCord is a worthy option.

ViaCord Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ViaCord?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about ViaCord?

Original review: June 24, 2019

I am so disappointed with this company. It really brings me to tears. One of the most important decisions I made when it comes to the future health and well being of my baby boy and I chose wrong. Being the fact that I myself have a history of a blood type cancer it was pretty obvious that I would preserve my baby’s blood. The courier that arrived to pick up the product was wearing basketball shorts and flip flops and had no ID, he was very unprofessional. It surprised me that a company as big as Viacord would allow that to be there face. My husband delivered the package to him unfortunately, if it were me I would never have left it with the courier. My husband asked the guy if he knew how to seal the package and he said no I have no clue. The guy was pretty gangster and even the hospital staff were surprised. My husband told me about this after he left so the next day I called Viacord to pay my bill and share my experience.

They were deeply concerned and said a manager would call me right away. After waiting 4 days I have gotten no such phone call. I was also told I would get a recipient 24 hours after the payment went through and that did not happen as well. Waited for the weekend to pass to see why I didn’t get a receipt nor a call from a manager, the rep said she notated on my account. When I asked her if they run blood type tests or anything that would indicate they actually got my blood she told they don’t do that and that I should rest assure knowing they have my blood (don’t understand how I can do that being the fact that they already made so many promises they did not follow through with). I will disputing their services unless I can get proof that they in fact hold my baby’s blood. Regardless I would stay away from this company. Seems like once they get you in they don’t care for maintaining a high level of customer service.

Get buying tips about Cord Blood Banking delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2008

My daughter subscribed to Viacord. GE Money Bank runs their billing/collect service for them. I signed as a co-signer for my daughter. I NEVER received a bill or anything stating that the account was past due. However, they reported this (my daughters' account), as again I am a Co-signer only and was NEVER billed, to the collection agency reflecting MY CREDIT!!!!! How can they report to the credit agency something they have NEVER even billed me for????

Then when I called to get this cleared up... first, I was insulted and told by someone named **, that tells me NOTHING of what the bill is for (I did not know it was for Viacord!) nor whose name it's in. But instead, she actually says to me that it is my husband's acct. and he's primary holder on acct. that you do not know about!!!!!! Can you believe this?? Her name was/is **.

After calling several times, I finally got someone who gave me the right info, but when I argued my point with her and asked to speak to a supervisor. She put me on Indefinite hold!! I called once again and before I could even explain anything, I was hung up on!! All the 'women' there were rude, had no knowledge nor clue as to WHAT was going on, nor did they barely speak or understand English as they ALL (and I am serious about the ALL) had accents. Once again, I called and a MAN answered who was actually polite, yet had no info to give me other than "No, we do not have the number for Viacord." I finally gave up and really got nowhere and never got the number for Viacord, so as to check the status of the cord viability and to see if I could take over the account IF the cord WAS viable!!??

ViaCord Company Information