About ViaCord

ViaCord offers cord blood and cord tissue stem cell banking for families who wish to save their child’s stem cells for future medical use. ViaCord has been a leader in the cord blood banking industry for over 25 years and offers families quality, innovation and trust. Over 500 customers have used their stem cells stored with ViaCord for a transplant or regenerative medicine research. Its state-of-the-art laboratory is FDA registered, CLIA certified, and AABB accredited for processing and storing both cord blood and cord tissue stem cells.

Pros

• Cord blood and cord tissue options
  • $35,000 product quality guarantee
  • 24/7 customer support
  • Multiple payment options

Cons

• Expensive
  • No guarantee you use the stem cells

Bottom Line

ViaCord processes and stores cord blood and cord tissue stem cells for private use. It also offers genomic testing for newborns, children and adults. The company guarantees storage fees for five years.

What is ViaCord cord blood banking?

ViaCord gives families the opportunity to store stem cells from their babies' umbilical cord blood and cord tissue in case they ever need it for a transplant or regenerative medicine research.

ViaCord has more than 25 years of experience in the cord blood banking industry, according to the company's website. Both cord blood and cord tissue stem cells are collected and stored in a five-compartment bag, which gives families plenty of flexibility to use as much or as little of their stem cell unit as needed.

More than 500 families have used their stored stem cells at ViaCord for treatment or research. The company advertises on its site that it has the highest published transplant success rate of any family bank with an 88% success rate after one year. ViaCord safeguards more than 500,000 newborn stem cell collections at their FDA-registered, AABB-accredited and CLIA-certified lab located just outside Cincinnati, Ohio.

How does ViaCord work?

You can sign up with ViaCord online or by phone in just a few minutes. The company then sends you a health history questionnaire and service agreement, which you complete and return by email or fax. ViaCord also notifies your health care provider that you intend to bank your baby’s cord blood (and cord tissue, if you choose).

ViaCord sends you a collection kit kit with everything your health care provider needs to perform the collection on the day of delivery. One to two hours after the stem cells have been collected, call ViaCord Customer Service at the number provided and the company will dispatch a medical courier to pick up the collection kit for transport to ViaCord’s lab for processing and storage. ViaCord lets you know as soon as the collection kit arrives at the lab.

After ViaCord receives the collection kit, the stem cell collection goes through an FDA-recommended process of cell separation to reduce red blood cells and unwanted plasma. The stem cells are then stored in a five-compartment storage bag and cryopreserved in storage tanks similar to ones used at major medical research facilities. If your family ever needs to use the stem cells, contact ViaCord, and it provides documentation and samples to your health care provider and coordinates delivery to the appropriate facility.

ViaCord price

ViaCord pricing starts at $1,725 for cord blood processing, plus $175 per year for storage at the time of publishing. Pricing depends on which type of stem cells you want to store — cord blood only or cord blood plus cord tissue — as well as the number of children whose stem cells you are banking, whether you want to prepay for 20 or 25 years of storage and available promotions at the time of purchase.

For cord blood stem cells only, you can prepay for 20 years of storage for $2,765 or for 25 years of storage for $3,225. Adding cord tissue processing to cord blood increases the initial price from $1,725 to $2,595; storage prices double.

ViaCord also offers six- or 12-month payment plans, so families can choose the best option for them. These plans do slightly increase the overall cost. Additional services from ViaCord include DNA preservation ($175), a genetic insights panel ($650) and genome sequencing ($1,900).

ViaCord cord blood banking FAQ

What does ViaCord’s cord blood banking service include?
ViaCord’s service includes 24/7 on-call staff, a medical courier service to pick up and transport your collection kit to its lab, an FDA-approved cord blood collection bag and state-of-the-art processing and storage. As part of the company's standard cord blood report, it offers collection volume and cell counts. ViaCord also provides families additional health insights.
Is ViaCord public or private?
ViaCord is a private cord blood bank. This means that only the family that pays to store the baby’s cord blood has access to the cord blood stem cells.
Is ViaCord FDA-approved?
Yes, ViaCord is registered with the FDA. You can confirm this registration by searching the FDA’s Human Cell and Tissue Establishment Registration (HCTERS) database.
Where is ViaCord's processing and storage lab?
ViaCord’s storage facility is located near Cincinnati, Ohio, and operates 365 days per year.
Does ViaCord offer placenta tissue banking?
ViaCord does not offer placenta tissue banking. It only processes cord blood and cord tissue.

Is ViaCord worth it?

ViaCord tends to be a bit more expensive than its competitors, but the company offers strong credentials, experience and a record of successful transplants using stem cells it has processed and stored. Its quality guarantee says that if your child’s stem cells fail to engraft during a transplant, the company will pay $35,000 toward securing an alternative source of cells. If you have decided to store your baby’s stem cells with a private bank, ViaCord is a worthy option.

ViaCord Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ViaCord?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about ViaCord?

Original review: June 22, 2021

ViaCord is not limited to cord blood only. They have the option of having blood and tissue storage. I also like the duration of their company in the market. I also like how they publish the research that they do with the stem cells. Their price was also comparable, if not better than the competitors. The rep of ViaCord was very knowledgeable. He listened to our questions and answered all the questions. So it was wonderful. The kit is very straightforward and simple. The bottom part is for the doctor and people collecting the tissues. The top one with the tabs is the instructions for me, for the people collecting it, and from the carrier. The only confusing part is that on our kit it said, “Fill out the documents under the orange tab,” and there's no orange tab. So I started digging and I called the rep to confirm.

ViaCord response

Hi Olga,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. We apologize that you had trouble with the instructions in the kit. This was helpful feedback to receive and we will use it to improve our process.

We really appreciate you taking the time to share it with us. Your review will help other families just like yours in their decision to bank their baby's cord blood!

-ViaCord

Get buying tips about Cord Blood Banking delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 25, 2021

Our experience with ViaCord is good. It was very professional and then they answered all the questions that I had.

Original review: June 24, 2019

I am so disappointed with this company. It really brings me to tears. One of the most important decisions I made when it comes to the future health and well being of my baby boy and I chose wrong. Being the fact that I myself have a history of a blood type cancer it was pretty obvious that I would preserve my baby’s blood. The courier that arrived to pick up the product was wearing basketball shorts and flip flops and had no ID, he was very unprofessional. It surprised me that a company as big as Viacord would allow that to be there face. My husband delivered the package to him unfortunately, if it were me I would never have left it with the courier. My husband asked the guy if he knew how to seal the package and he said no I have no clue. The guy was pretty gangster and even the hospital staff were surprised. My husband told me about this after he left so the next day I called Viacord to pay my bill and share my experience.

They were deeply concerned and said a manager would call me right away. After waiting 4 days I have gotten no such phone call. I was also told I would get a recipient 24 hours after the payment went through and that did not happen as well. Waited for the weekend to pass to see why I didn’t get a receipt nor a call from a manager, the rep said she notated on my account. When I asked her if they run blood type tests or anything that would indicate they actually got my blood she told they don’t do that and that I should rest assure knowing they have my blood (don’t understand how I can do that being the fact that they already made so many promises they did not follow through with). I will disputing their services unless I can get proof that they in fact hold my baby’s blood. Regardless I would stay away from this company. Seems like once they get you in they don’t care for maintaining a high level of customer service.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2008

My daughter subscribed to Viacord. GE Money Bank runs their billing/collect service for them. I signed as a co-signer for my daughter. I NEVER received a bill or anything stating that the account was past due. However, they reported this (my daughters' account), as again I am a Co-signer only and was NEVER billed, to the collection agency reflecting MY CREDIT!!!!! How can they report to the credit agency something they have NEVER even billed me for????

Then when I called to get this cleared up... first, I was insulted and told by someone named **, that tells me NOTHING of what the bill is for (I did not know it was for Viacord!) nor whose name it's in. But instead, she actually says to me that it is my husband's acct. and he's primary holder on acct. that you do not know about!!!!!! Can you believe this?? Her name was/is **.

After calling several times, I finally got someone who gave me the right info, but when I argued my point with her and asked to speak to a supervisor. She put me on Indefinite hold!! I called once again and before I could even explain anything, I was hung up on!! All the 'women' there were rude, had no knowledge nor clue as to WHAT was going on, nor did they barely speak or understand English as they ALL (and I am serious about the ALL) had accents. Once again, I called and a MAN answered who was actually polite, yet had no info to give me other than "No, we do not have the number for Viacord." I finally gave up and really got nowhere and never got the number for Viacord, so as to check the status of the cord viability and to see if I could take over the account IF the cord WAS viable!!??

ViaCord Company Information