4.8/5 (46 ratings)

About Americord

Americord is a private company that stores customers' umbilical cord blood, cord tissue and placental tissue. Customers can have their stem cells collected, processed and stored with Americord and use them for future medical or therapeutic use. Its processes allow the company to preserve up to twice the amount of stem cells than some competitors.

Pros

• Simple and straightforward
    • FDA-approved
    • Innovative procedures
    • $110,000 insurance

Cons

• Little flexibility
    • Pricey

Bottom Line

With $110,000 in insurance coverage and no extra fees, Americord is a reputable and affordable option. While it's still expensive and its customization options are limited, its services are straightforward and simple.

Top Americord Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

We thought it might be a good idea to save our baby’s blood cord in case we need it and my husband chose Americord. He was looking for the detail and they had a good review. The p...

Verified

One of my friends had a very good experience with Americord and referred me to it. My husband and I had a talk with the reps and they were good in answering our questions. It was ...

What is Americord?

Americord stores umbilical cord blood, cord tissue and placental tissue for customers. Stem cells from these sources can be collected during birth to be stored and used for medical treatments. Americord helps families save these stem cells and securely store them in case they need them in the future to treat blood cancers or other medical conditions.

The cord blood storage process starts before you have a baby. After signing up, Americord sends the kit to bring to the hospital for delivery. If your baby comes sooner than expected, Americord can overnight the kits for free. During delivery, a doctor or midwife draws the cord blood, cord tissue or placenta tissue into the sterile bag.

Americord dispatches a white-glove medical courier to the hospital to pick up the materials and deliver them to the blood bank to be processed, tested and stored. At any time, customers can choose to withdraw their stem cells for use.

Americord price

Customers typically store their stem cells for 20 years with Americord, which costs $3,499 upfront. This is the price for only one type of product: cord blood tissue, cord blood or placenta tissue. This cost also includes $110,000 worth of insurance in case of any issues.

With this option, Americord does not charge annual storage fees, and there are no cancellation fees associated with its services. Customers can also choose to pay an upfront cost of $1,499 with annual storage fees of $150. This brings the total 20-year cost to about $4,500.

Americord FAQ

How much does Americord cost?
    It costs $3,499 for 20-years of cord blood banking with Americord if you choose to pay upfront. You can also pay a $1,499 upfront cost with $150 annual storage fees.
    Does Americord charge any processing or withdrawal fees?
    No. Americord does not charge cancellation fees, annual storage fees or withdrawal fees.
    Is Americord good?
    Americord has an excellent track record for safe and reliable storage services. Its prices are also more affordable than some of the other options available.

Is Americord cord blood banking worth it?

For many families, the answer is a resounding yes. The truth is, it’s impossible to know if you’ll need to use the stem cells you store with Americord. If the upfront cost won’t break the bank, many people agree that storing stem cell tissue with Americord is worth it. Plus, the company's costs are more affordable than some other options. With no cancellation, storage or withdrawal fees, it’s a hassle-free way to invest in your child’s future health.

Americord Reviews

1 featured review
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Americord?

Original review: March 11, 2021

We were researching cord blood. That's something we want to do with our first child. You don't know what hospital bills are coming in and you want to make sure that you have that liquid just in case. We looked at a few different companies and we didn't get very good customer service with some of them. Americord offered three different ways to store, that was different than some of the others, so we ended up going with them. We got a “Black Friday” deal because we ordered in November. They also offered us a really good payment plan because not everybody had $8,000 to just drop. We paid it off early after two and a half months.

I love that Americord was willing to talk to both my husband and me. They sent a rep straight to our hospital door to pick up the samples and I loved that they called us once they got it in the lab and they analyzed them. They told us the quality of it and everything they got from all the samples. It was fantastic. They got the best out of everything for all of us. Everything was fast and easy. In the first 48 hours when you're on zero sleep, especially after 21 hours of labor, the last thing you want to do is try to figure this out. So they were amazing. If I have a friend who's looking at cord blood, I'm definitely going to recommend them. I'm going to send them to my sales guy, Michael. He was phenomenal.

Get buying tips about Cord Blood Banking delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

The setup was easy and the rep who helped through did a great job. We made this decision for our first child and then three years later when we were about to have our second child, I was able to reach out with a single email. She still had my phone number. She was very attentive to the timeline of having the baby and somewhat of the ambiguous nature of ones that may actually occur. On our second go around, we neglected to do it in advance. But she was able to help us get it completed expeditiously and in place within a few weeks so that we were prepared for our second child. They remembered who we were, paid enough attention, and at least took some note that even after so much time had passed, we were still working with the same agent and customer service representatives. I thought that was all the attention to detail I like to see.

The instructions were there in the kit so it was easy for the medical staff to collect the necessary samples. And then the courier component was just making a simple phone call and then they were there within a few hours to do that. It was one of the services that we were happy about and with and when that conversation came up, we made that recommendation to other people. Americord is not cheap but it's something that for the relative cost of what's the effect it could have on our children's life is priceless.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2020

My older daughter is banked with Cryo-Cell. They were very unprofessional when her dad went in there trying to retrieve the specimen without my permission. I lost trust in them and I saw Americord was more reliable and very professional. Because of COVID, the hospital wouldn't let the courier in to pick up the specimen. We were a bit stuck. We sent the courier out to one of the delivery ports that the trucks come up to at the hospital. We weren't allowed out the maternity ward. Otherwise, they wouldn't let my husband back in. It was lucky that I knew some nurses and we opened the door to the maternity ward, handed it across the line to the nurse and my friend, the nurse, had to go and deliver it to the courier.

Americord's terms are far superior to Cryo-Cell. It's just that they need some standard procedures with the virus and send them to the hospitals so that it's not this chaos to retrieve and store the specimen. There's no way Americord could have known that Tampa General was going to pull that stunt on us. Then I've had a C-section at two o'clock in the morning and I was texting friends that are nurses in other departments to try and get someone to run the specimen down. That was not an ideal experience but I don't blame Americord for it. They might need to talk to Tampa General and have them take a chill pill. It is a virus but it doesn't mean we have to behave irrationally.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2020

I’m a hematologist and I do some stem cell research myself. Even though there really isn’t a lot of use for these stem cells now, I’m very optimistic that there might be in the next several decades. This was a once in a lifetime opportunity to bank these stem cells so I decided to do it. We did the cord blood banking and we also did the cord tissue. Americord had the soonest availability. I called a day or two before I was due and they were able to set things up for me and they sent me the kit that was needed to bring to the hospital with me on my delivery day.

Everything went smoothly except for the pickup time. I had my kit the night I was in labor, which was a Saturday, and they said that they didn’t do pickups over the weekend, but everything was stable. They said that they were gonna come pick it up on Monday at noon and nobody came. We had to call a couple of times. And I was concerned that if they didn't pick up on time, everything could be wasted. But at the last moment, they were able to pull things together. Then, they processed the sample and they called me with an update as to how many cells they were able to enrich and how many were stored. It’s quite a bit of money but they had a payment plan for me, which was fairly convenient. I didn’t have to pay the entire amount as one and I'm making an installment, which is fairly reasonable. It's worth it.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

I used Americord when I gave birth to my last kid and. I have two older ones. I did not do any cord blood banking with them because they're seven and five, and at that time, I wasn't really familiar with cord blood banking. My best friend's daughter died. She had sickle cell, and we did talk about the fact that if she had cord blood banking, she may have been able to do something for her. Once I found out I was pregnant, I said, “Well, that’s something I would have and make sure my daughter had in case she ever get sick or even her brothers,” because from my research, her brothers can use the cord blood as well, and even me and my husband. Cancer runs in my family and my husband's family.

Americord had good reviews online, and I also had spoken to someone who had used them. The customer service was really great. I've had two or three follow-up calls since I started banking with them in July. The initial person I spoke with when I called to ask questions and find out more about the program was very helpful. She was very polite and very knowledgeable. I liked that she had answers to all my questions and wasn't deflecting. I also liked the fact that I've had two or three follow-ups. I feel like if I had questions, it would be easy to get a response from them. I feel comfortable using Americord. There are no red flags and there's nothing that has been unpleasant, so far, as far as what I'm getting and the service.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

We compared a couple of banks and Americord stands out more price-wise. Also, we wanted to do a placenta preserve and they were the only company doing that. The rep was really helpful, knowledgeable and understanding. He was informative and he answered all our questions. If something in the future happens, this could be a way to get our baby better health-wise.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

This was the third time I worked with Americord. Everything was good. The rep contacted me prior to the due date. Everything was clear. Then, on the day of the due date, we called them and they helped us right away. Not only that, but we were missing the doctor’s signature, and they told us not to worry about it, that they were going to get it. The courier got there even before the time that they have set.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2021

The rep was knowledgeable and he answered my questions. He was forthcoming with information. Working with him was a good experience. So far, everything's good. We're satisfied with our experience with Americord. They did a good job.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

Americord had an easy process and everything was explained so that was good. The experience was very straightforward and didn't take a lot of preparation on our part other than letting the doctors know when we were giving birth that we were doing it. We didn't have to do much on the front end for preparation so that was nice. I had a C-section so afterwards I was a little out of it. My husband had to take the kit out to the courier because of COVID but it seemed to go smoothly.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

I like Americord's programming a little bit better. It was hard to understand which one would be better but Americord was more active in trying to communicate with me about any questions I had. They were kind and always tried to make sure that they answered any of my questions as best as they could. They kept in contact with me ­if I had any questions. They were quick to email me or call back. We haven't had to use any of it but Americord was great at getting our box to us and helping us through it. They came and picked up our box at a timely fashion as well and told us that all the samples that we got were good. We're hoping we never have to use it but I'm glad that they have good communication in case we do.

Americord Company Information