Call toll free
4.77/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Americord is a pioneer in the development of umbilical cord blood, cord tissue, and placenta tissue banking. They’ve developed Cord Blood 2.0, a ground-breaking process that collects up to twice as many stem cells compared to traditional cord blood collection. Americord provides the quality and highest standards you are looking for. They are FDA registered and do not charge yearly storage fees. Call Americord today to see what they can offer your family.

Americord Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

We had friends who recommended banking our baby’s cord blood and then our OB recommended it too. When I did the research, there was a multitude of reasons to do it- all the diseases that it could cure and for health. And also, I have a neurological disease and I know they’re doing a lot of research with neurological diseases. There was a chance that it could help me one day.

We did a lot of research and liked everything Americord had to offer especially the placenta tissue banking. Most of the other companies didn’t do that and we didn’t feel comfortable with the only other company that did since they just started doing it. We felt very comfortable with Americord though. They are the best place for our family. They were a little bit more money than some of the other places, but they were worth it because of what we got. I like how they stored the cord blood. They explained to us how they stored it and how you could use it multiple times. With other places, they had to defrost it all at once and whatever you didn’t use would be thrown out.

My husband and I loved Jazz, the rep. She was phenomenal, very helpful, and answered all of my questions. Whatever we needed, she was willing to help us. I have some medical conditions and she got a specialist to do some research to answer my questions relating to that. She also offered to call me on her days off if those were the only days I could talk. Moreover, the courier was easy to use. I was in ICU, but my husband and my parents said that everything went smoothly.

Get expert buying tips about Cord Blood Banking delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 30, 2019

I’ve read through some of the benefits of cord blood banking. My husband and I had a trait of a blood disorder, so we tried to do it. We didn’t do it with our first child as we kind of forgot but as we planned for our second child, it was something that we wanted to look into and take advantage of because we never know what may happen in the future.

A week or two before my scheduled c-section, I decided to contact Americord. A friend of mine referred them and my experience with them was pretty seamless. I called them one day and by the next day, they already overnighted me the kit and called to walk me through how to use it. Their customer service was excellent. The pickup was also easy and right after they collected it, they gave it back to us. When we got to our room and got settled, we called in for the courier and he was there within an hour or so. He was very respectful. He knocked on the door, stated who he was, and stayed behind the curtain that was like a little partition. Then my husband went and gave him the kit.

Overall, Americord's service was excellent. I wasn’t even sure how it was gonna work and how it would happen. But they called me and walked me through things. It’s been about two months now and I’ve got about six follow-up calls to make sure that I was okay and checking on the baby. I just like what they’re doing, so I greatly appreciate that.

Original review: June 15, 2019

I was referred to Americord and as I was speaking with them, they decided to give me a discount. There are new cancers coming out and people are more prone to be diagnosed with different types of cancer and it’s genetic. My husband’s side of the family has had a lot of people diagnosed with cancer. So if I can alleviate it by donating cord blood, which is for stem cell research and it can help out with a family member or my child, where they wouldn’t have to go through extraneous tests and have to pay the most bucks on medicine or treatments, it’s not gonna work or cause them to be a little bit more lethargic. I just thought it was a better idea, to pay the upfront cost instead of the long-term cost.

I’m also a chemist and I do believe in science. So, in case something was to ever happen with one of my child, me, my husband, our family members, it’s a good way to help them out in whatever situation they may be in. Americord did an excellent job. They met my expectations by calling, making sure everything was okay, giving me direct information on how to handle the process and checking out to make sure everything went well. Plus, the process was straightforward and the cord blood can last up to 21 years.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I've used Americord before for my twins. They did a pretty good job. A lot of it was to do the with the storage fee. Storage fee is included versus other companies, you pay a lifetime yearly storage fee. With my most recent experience I called and emailed their customer service, and then they put me in touch with a rep. And the representative was in New York. She called and listed the options available, including the cost. She said she could give a discount if we decided to pay upfront, meaning the whole fee versus a payment plan. We emailed back and forth. She wasn't too pushy, but she called me about once every 10 days to check in if I need any more information and if I have made a decision between placenta cord blood and umbilical cord, because I can do combinations.

It was very plainly laid out what the cost options were. And then I decided on going with cord blood and umbilical cord tissue after I talked to my doctor about it. They sent me the kit and it didn't cost me anything. I just held on to it. They did take a deposit, but the deposit was refundable if I went to a delivery, and they couldn't harvest anything. She also said that if they made a mistake, like if their courier couldn't get the blood to the bank in time, and there was no cells, then it was also refundable. So I didn't really see a lot of risks.

I gave her my credit card for the deposit, and that was also gonna be used for the payment as well. They ran the deposit and it was $230. I gave birth. They harvested the blood on the kit, then they called the number on it. When we called the number, they put me in touch with the courier service. But then, they had trouble looking up both twins' information. A few days before my scheduled C-section, I filled out everything online, registering my child and they also had trouble looking that information up to match it and trying to figure out Twin A versus Twin B. But that all got worked out. It just took a couple of hours over the phone. I just told them what the issues were, and they figured it out behind the scenes.

The courier, which was an independent contractor came. He took the samples and drove it straight to LAX. He gave me a receipt of taking it. And then 10 days later, I got an email saying that there were viable cells, and that they would be charging my card the full amount, which was like 10,700. After I paid, they gave me an official certificate of storage for the amount of cells in the blood. They did a pretty good job. Except maybe having the courier's information might be good because I didn't know he was coming. But they did the follow-up phone calls, which was great, to see how everything went in the experience.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Americord seemed to be the most popular option through our doctor and we went off the recommendation. We saw it as an insurance policy for the future. Our doctor warned us that a lot of it is science that isn’t quite here yet. It's potential science and it’s a chance we would be taking that may or may not come to fruition. But the potential benefit seemed to outweigh the cost for us and that was really why we ended up going to do it. But we had waited until the last minute to decide that we were actually gonna do it. It was two weeks before we went to the hospital and at that point, I was a little nervous because I had heard or read somewhere that we would need to go ahead and get paperwork and stuff done 8 to 10 weeks in advance.

But the experience was wonderful. Everything went very smoothly. We got the box the day after I purchased it online and that was great because I ended up being induced earlier than our due date. I was glad it was able to still be done. The courier was great too. He showed up not long after we had made the call and he did a great job. It seemed to work nicely. Americord has definitely met my expectations so far. It’s one of those things that's like an investment. You put the money in and don’t think about it until you have to use it. And as long as it’s working for me, I’m fine. We were pleased with the way everything went and I definitely had good things to say to friends of ours.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Americord?

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

My husband and I researched a lot together. One of the items we considered was price, and Americord matched the price. Besides that, they are expanding and growing, so we thought, "Okay, they are not going to be out of business soon." It made it more trustable. So, they stored the cord and the tissue that we want, and everything is fine.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

I had a great experience with Americord. It was a referral from my sister and their reps were really helpful, willing to work with me and answered all my questions. They definitely met my expectations.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

We thought banking our baby's cord blood will be useful for her if there'd be any issues in the future. A friend referred Americord to me and our experience with them was good. Their reps responded well and the courier came on time. So far, I'm satisfied.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

We did some research on the benefit of cord blood collection, and that is to help avoid some risks that surround a baby, so we made the decision to do that. And Americord has exceeded my expectations. Everything was great and they picked up the blood really quickly. We didn’t know previously that they go to hospitals, so we called and the person was really professional. She was really quick at finding my hospital’s address. Everything was perfect.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

We decided to bank our baby's cord blood since it's better to be safe than sorry and our experience with Americord was very positive. We've also worked with them in the past and they were responsive. My representative was very attentive and always got back to me in a very timely fashion. And I'm glad we got the courier driver who picked up the kit.

Americord expert review by Sandra Gordon

Americord offers parents the ability to collect stem cells from the placenta and umbilical cord soon after the child's birth. These stem cells, obtained from cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue, can be used to help treat genetic diseases and other threats to the baby's life. Placenta tissue stem cells can also be used to benefit the mother.

• Personalized customer service: Americord provides 24-hour telephone support, meaning that you'll always have someone to reach out to.

• Lower prices: Americord offers a one-time payment plan or a 24-month plan to spread the cost of cord blood banking over two years to help individuals afford any treatment plans they need. There are no yearly storage fees.

• Proprietary technology: Americord's technology allows for up to two times as many stem cells compared to the traditional methods of cord blood extraction.

• Highest guarantee: Americord will pay up to $90,000 if your stem cell transplant fails to engraft. The company uses an AABB-accredited lab.

• Fast courier service: Cord blood extractions are delivered by the fastest medical courier in the United States.

• Best for: Parents who carry genetic diseases, children born from complicated births and children who may need organ regenerative therapies.

Profile picture of Sandra Gordon
Sandra Gordon Parenting Products Contributing Editor

Specializing in health and medicine, Sandra Gordon has written extensively about cord blood banking for national and regional parenting magazines. She also has written about baby products, including breast pumps, for national and regional parenting magazines, blogs and books. Her work has appeared in hundreds of publications, including Parents, Prevention, Woman’s Day and Self. Gordon also appears on TV as a baby safety and money-saving expert. She is also the author of 10 books and the founder of babyproductsmom.com, a site dedicated to helping new parents gear up safely and within their budget.

Americord questions and answers

What problem is Americord trying to solve?
Americord is working to improve lives in ways that would not otherwise be possible. We focus on cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue banking innovations that provide more treatment options for newborns and their families.

For example, our proprietary Cord Blood 2.0™ technology preserves up to twice as many stem cells, making it possible to treat larger patients and expand treatment opportunities for smaller patients. This is crucial because traditional cord blood banking often collects only enough stem cells to treat a child under 65 pounds. Americord expands treatment options to patients weighing up to 165 pounds.
What sets Americord apart from the competition?
Americord offers the broadest and most technologically advanced product line in the industry. Our focus is on providing more treatment options for clients by combining innovative technology and white-glove care for superior value.

We are the only company that offers Cord Blood 2.0™ technology that collects up to twice as many stem cells as the industry average.  In addition, we are one of very few companies that offer expertise in three stem cell products - cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue. We are also one of only two companies that offer a collection kits approved by the FDA for c-sections.

We are committed to the highest levels of customer service, with 24/7 availability and white-glove care, including bedside pickup service by the medical courier. For mothers in early labor or last minute stem cell banking decisions, our AmericordRush™ program offers same-day delivery of the Americord Collection Kit at no extra cost.

We allow parents to decide what to bank right up until delivery, with our 3-in-1 Collection Kit for the collection of cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue. Expectant parents can reserve a kit and then return it free of charge as their plans change. There are with no cancellation fees, no annual storage fees and no withdrawal fees.
What needs does Americord fulfill, and how does Americord fulfill those needs better than your competition?
Americord’s mission is to provide the highest quality services, at the lowest possible cost, while supporting unique and innovative ways to improve the therapeutic utility of cord blood and tissue stem cells to improve patients’ lives. We invest in the future of stem cell banking so that families and their loved ones will have peace of mind. We actively explore innovative collection, transportation, processing and storage technologies to improve yields and viability to ensure the best possible results for our customers and the medical community.

We operate to the highest ethical standards in the industry and are committed to complete customer satisfaction. We thoroughly test every collection, and if the yield falls below the recommended minimum standards, we don’t charge parents who elect to forgo storage. In addition, we don’t offer incentives to the medical community to steer patients to Americord, preferring that patients make an unbiased assessment of the best stem cell bank for their needs.

We have the highest quality guarantee in the industry at $90,000, eliminate all hidden fees, and offer a risk-free cancellation policy.
How does Americord measure success?
Our clients entrust us with their most valuable medical assets, and we take this trust seriously. We measure success by customer satisfaction and regularly solicit feedback to ensure our products and services fully meet or exceed their expectations. We also benchmark our stem cell yields to ensure they deliver on our promise of achieving twice the industry average. In 2016, we recorded our highest cord blood collection volume and TNC count of 183 ml and two billion TNCs, respectively.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about cord blood banking?
Expectant parents often have questions about the types stem cells that can be collected and stored and the potential different stem cells hold for future medical treatments for their growing families.

A newborn’s umbilical cord contains two types of stem cells – hematopoietic stem cells (HSCs) and mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs). HSCs stem cells are programmed to become red and white blood cells. Medical science has found ways to use their natural abilities to treat over 80 disease of the blood like leukemia. MSCs, on the other hand, develop into muscle cells, bone cells, cartilage cells and fat cells. MSCs are considered essential to the future of regenerative medicine.
How has cord blood banking changed in the last 5 years?
Over the last five years, scientific breakthroughs in regenerative medicine and stem cells have raised awareness and interest in umbilical cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue banking. At the same time, expectant parents can be overwhelmed by an influx of cord blood banking companies with confusing claims, complicated offers and aggressive marketing tactics. As the industry evolves, it has never been more important for expectant parents to find a reliable source of unbiased information to ensure they make the most informed choice for their important medical assets.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about Americord?
Americord is rooted in a firm set of values. Our purpose is to improve lives and change the world. Our core values support our purpose and define how we manage and successfully grow our business.

• Customers: We strive to serve and provide value to our customers, faithfully and consistently. This commitment is foundational to our success.

• Employees: We encourage an ownership mentality, treat others with respect, provide opportunities for learning and growth and challenge to be their best selves.

• Integrity: We treat all we encounter fairly and with integrity.

• Innovation: We constantly improve strategy, products, operations, ourselves, sales talking points, marketing and financial performance, and our internal processes, with the aim of challenging ourselves to leave the organization better off tomorrow than it was yesterday.

• Learning: We instill a culture of learning and growth.

• Community: We engage with the local community, advancing important technologies and being generally charitable and helpful to others.

These values are more than just words, they inform everything we do.
Has Americord received any rewards or recognition for its products or services that your customers would like to know about?
Americord is AABB and FDA accredited and we have an FDA accredited collection bag. We have an A+ Better Business Bureau rating. Americord is also licensed in all states that require licensure for cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue banking.
How has your company grown?
Americord’s superior technology, focus on customer service and engrained set of values has made it the fastest growing cord blood bank in the United States. As a result, the company has been listed on the Inc. 5000 List of the fastest growing private companies in America for the past two years.

Americord Company Information