Call toll free
4.72/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Americord is a pioneer in the development of umbilical cord blood, cord tissue, and placenta tissue banking. They’ve developed Cord Blood 2.0, a ground-breaking process that collects up to twice as many stem cells compared to traditional cord blood collection. Americord provides the quality and highest standards you are looking for. They are FDA registered and do not charge yearly storage fees. Call Americord today to see what they can offer your family.

267 Americord Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I've used Americord before for my twins. They did a pretty good job. A lot of it was to do the with the storage fee. Storage fee is included versus other companies, you pay a lifetime yearly storage fee. With my most recent experience I called and emailed their customer service, and then they put me in touch with a rep. And the representative was in New York. She called and listed the options available, including the cost. She said she could give a discount if we decided to pay upfront, meaning the whole fee versus a payment plan. We emailed back and forth. She wasn't too pushy, but she called me about once every 10 days to check in if I need any more information and if I have made a decision between placenta cord blood and umbilical cord, because I can do combinations.

It was very plainly laid out what the cost options were. And then I decided on going with cord blood and umbilical cord tissue after I talked to my doctor about it. They sent me the kit and it didn't cost me anything. I just held on to it. They did take a deposit, but the deposit was refundable if I went to a delivery, and they couldn't harvest anything. She also said that if they made a mistake, like if their courier couldn't get the blood to the bank in time, and there was no cells, then it was also refundable. So I didn't really see a lot of risks.

I gave her my credit card for the deposit, and that was also gonna be used for the payment as well. They ran the deposit and it was $230. I gave birth. They harvested the blood on the kit, then they called the number on it. When we called the number, they put me in touch with the courier service. But then, they had trouble looking up both twins' information. A few days before my scheduled C-section, I filled out everything online, registering my child and they also had trouble looking that information up to match it and trying to figure out Twin A versus Twin B. But that all got worked out. It just took a couple of hours over the phone. I just told them what the issues were, and they figured it out behind the scenes.

The courier, which was an independent contractor came. He took the samples and drove it straight to LAX. He gave me a receipt of taking it. And then 10 days later, I got an email saying that there were viable cells, and that they would be charging my card the full amount, which was like 10,700. After I paid, they gave me an official certificate of storage for the amount of cells in the blood. They did a pretty good job. Except maybe having the courier's information might be good because I didn't know he was coming. But they did the follow-up phone calls, which was great, to see how everything went in the experience.

Get expert buying tips about Cord Blood Banking delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Americord seemed to be the most popular option through our doctor and we went off the recommendation. We saw it as an insurance policy for the future. Our doctor warned us that a lot of it is science that isn’t quite here yet. It's potential science and it’s a chance we would be taking that may or may not come to fruition. But the potential benefit seemed to outweigh the cost for us and that was really why we ended up going to do it. But we had waited until the last minute to decide that we were actually gonna do it. It was two weeks before we went to the hospital and at that point, I was a little nervous because I had heard or read somewhere that we would need to go ahead and get paperwork and stuff done 8 to 10 weeks in advance.

But the experience was wonderful. Everything went very smoothly. We got the box the day after I purchased it online and that was great because I ended up being induced earlier than our due date. I was glad it was able to still be done. The courier was great too. He showed up not long after we had made the call and he did a great job. It seemed to work nicely. Americord has definitely met my expectations so far. It’s one of those things that's like an investment. You put the money in and don’t think about it until you have to use it. And as long as it’s working for me, I’m fine. We were pleased with the way everything went and I definitely had good things to say to friends of ours.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I work in healthcare and I know the benefits of stem cells. Also, one of my best friends from my school passed away from leukemia because she needed a bone marrow transplant and she couldn't find a match. So I did a lot of research going to stem cells. If she would have had her blood banked when we were little, then she may not have been in that situation. The woman we dealt with at Americord communicated well and I liked the fact that we could pay all upfront and not pay an annual fee. I delivered early in the morning and my husband called for the kit to be picked up. Then the hospital front desk called us and told us that the courier was there to pick it up so my husband took it out. The only thing Americord can improve improve on is the communication after the retrieval and the processing of the blood.

Clients are spending a lot of money and then Americord would just come and send you an email that they processed it and they charged your card. They do not communicate what the volume was and how many stem cells they were able to get. I know you can go on the website and find that. But in a busy time after having a baby, it would be nice for them to communicate that and give you an idea if that's a good amount or if it is on the low end but is still a match should you ever need to use it. But overall, it was a good experience and I was happy with it. Americord has met my expectations and it's nice that we have the cord blood there should we need it.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

My husband did the research and he was looking at Americord and another company when I went into premature labor. My husband called them since it was the one that he remembered. They immediately had someone come to the hospital with the box. We’re in Chicago which is a big city so that helped. People in smaller places probably don’t have that type of access. My son was born six and a half weeks early so it was a hasty emergency situation.

When I got pregnant with my daughter, we decided to do it again. We contacted them and they gave us a very nice discount for being second time users. We had the kids’ stuff at the same place since all those banks have the same collection process and do the exact same thing. Americord’s prices have gone up drastically since 2016 since we only paid 3,000 for my son and 5,000 for my daughter. The box came, they called us, sent us directions and asked if we had questions.They had a crew come immediately after my daughter was born. The website is user-friendly and they’ve done a lot with it. It shows you exactly what you banked. I need to call them about getting an updated list for my son because if you were an older client, they don’t have the same information about what is in the bank, as the new clients do. So far, everything has been great.

Original review: July 16, 2018

The cord blood technology is improving and I wanted to make sure of the future. I don't want to miss if there are a little bit of chances of curing anything with the cord blood because I can't get it back. I already used Americord before for my son and so I continue to use them the same time because I like the customer service experience. I went to the rep for the stem cells last time and I also I went to her for the cord blood. I wanted to continue the same thing because when I first interacted about my son I got the detailed information and they said that right now they have improved the technology of collecting that one. And they have offered me to cord bank my umbilical cord also but I said no because that is of more use for me than for the child.

Americord is very prompt on checking details and they reminded me of taking juice when it was very close to my due date. Then they had the cord blood picked up within two hours of my giving birth. That was a very great customer service because I didn't expect them to be picked up in the midnight. I also already shared about Americord to my sister and she also has a child. I referred her and she also has some cord banking with them. So we both have a good experience with them and I'm really excited with it. I would recommend the company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Americord?

Original review: May 15, 2019

Americord had placental preservation that the other banks didn't have. Also, the price seemed more reasonable when you collect several tissues so we went with them. My fiancé gave them the kit and everything was great.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I asked my OB if putting my baby's cord blood in a bank was worth it and he said it was. After an online research, I decided to go with Americord. The rep who assisted me was very helpful and got everything done in a day. The process for picking up the kit was also done pretty quickly. There was some miscommunication, so they sent two couriers. But regardless, everything was smooth and they were able to find me. All in all, Americord has met my expectations very well.

Original review: May 12, 2019

I'm a bit older and this is my first child, so I wanted to make sure that everything was fine. Americord had pretty good ratings and their reps were really knowledgeable. They definitely follow up, personally call you and explain everything. They'll also send you things via email or tell you that you should go on the site to look up stuff. So, they were very helpful. The person that I spoke with every time was always the same person, which was nice and more personable. We got all the samples, and though the hospital where I had it collected at hasn't had many private collections with Americord, the kits were pretty easy. After I delivered, we called the number and they came in and picked it up within two hours. It absolutely met my expectations or, if anything, exceeded them.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I have diabetes through pregnancy, and I did research and saw that a lot of diseases could be treated by the cord blood and tissue. It would benefit me as well later on if I have diabetes. I banked three things with Americord because I have to think far for my baby, so it's like I bought insurance. I called them around 7:00 PM and they set up the morning pick-up. Everything was fast and they gave me a lot of details, explained to me very clearly and the price is very reasonable.

Original review: May 10, 2019

My husband and I have researched about Americord when we decided to go cord blood banking. It will be useful if anyone in family needs the baby’s stem cell. We found Americord in good reviews. We couldn't afford the down payment and they have installment planning. This is the largest bank so we feel this cord blood will be safe with their banking. My other friend also goes with them and referred them to me.

The Americord rep helped us in everything while we are setting up our account and choosing the plan. They also followed up when they sent the package. And also, after receiving the cord blood, they called us. They ask if we have any questions. It was good experience. We are also referring whoever friends who are pregnant if they are looking. We felt that everything was a good and easy process with them.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I like that Americord had higher capture count than a lot of the other places did. I had experience with ViaCord previously, with my son. The pricing structure seemed a lot more reasonable with Americord without having to have the yearly service fee. Americord's customer service is awesome. They've called me several times to check in and let me know what's going on with our account and things. It's been pretty great so far. And we had a really high cell capture. So I thought that was also good.

My husband and I have different blood type and we were thinking if he has my blood type as opposed to his blood type, my son has two blood types. It turned out they have the same blood type. But we just wanted to be safe and know that we have the baby's cord blood if we need it down the road. There's a history of lots of rather strange illnesses in our family. I recommend Americord.

Original review: May 6, 2019

I like Americord's pricing and they have better options compared to others. They also did the placenta. The staff I talked with made everything very streamlined. She was very forward and made sure to catch up with me and get everything set up for me. Americord is very valuable for the future of my child and for me as well. Our doctor had gotten everything ready and my husband handled it because I was still recovering, and it was really easy.

Original review: May 4, 2019

Americord was suggested to me by a friend. There's so much out there disease-wise, and there are a lot of research happening on how cord blood banking could potentially help. We have two kids. We did not do it with our first, but we decided to go ahead and do it with our second. The instructions that we received over the phone was slightly different than what the person picking it up assumed. They didn't assume that they were supposed to pick up the whole kit. And we were told to seal it. But it was received just fine. Americord has been easy to use.

Original review: April 27, 2019

We reached out to Americord and they got back to us quickly. Their rates were comparable and affordable, and we had heard good things about their service. Our experience with the blood specialists that assisted us was a breeze and it was really good. They thoroughly explained everything to us and the directions on how to collect the things were clear. My husband met with the courier who picked the kit up. The courier came quickly and the transfer went smoothly. The value of using Americord has definitely met our expectations. It gives me peace of mind to know that I have the blood saved there in case I and the baby ever need it.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I decided to bank our baby’s blood out of insurance and I went with Americord because of the price. The inside of their kit is a little confusing. My doctor was not familiar with it, so it took her a bit of, “What is this? What do we here? What is that?” They deal with all of the other brands. So, one feedback would be making sure that their sales reps are going out to meet more doctors to make sure they are familiar with the services.

My doctor is recommending another brand only because those people had spoken with them. Americord was not the number one that the doctor recommended to me. I just went out because I had to do my own research. I've heard a lot of people say that I am throwing away money because of using a bank like Americord, but if you need it, it would be very valuable. Hopefully, I’ll never have to use anything. It is just out there for whatever and it is there for 20 years.

Original review: April 13, 2019

We heard a lot of things like banking our baby’s blood might be useful for her future or for any kind of diseases that can be cured by the blood cell so we did it. Americord picked up the samples at the right time and communicated properly so we felt it was a safe place. The courier came to the hospital and picked up the kit. We don’t want to go anywhere. It was an awesome experience.

Original review: April 10, 2019

We banked our first child’s blood and the researchers said that it might be useful for different diseases. Although we’re not sure if it can be useful for us or not, we went for it thinking that we would have an option if we needed it. Now, this is our second child, and with Americord's competitive pricing and the good storage, we decided to use their services over other companies. I dealt with Paula and another guy, and everything in the process was good. There were no glitches on the pic-up of the kit and the courier who did it was smooth.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I'm in the healthcare profession and we looked into cord blood banks. You never know until you need it and hopefully, never do. It’s quite valuable. We decided on Americord from looking around, online reviews and the cost. Their customer service was fine and it was easy to get somebody around the phone. The experience with the courier driver was great, quick and straightforward.

Original review: March 30, 2019

My wife and I decided we're gonna just have one baby, so it was worth it to have something to bank up for any future problems, health-wise. There were some people who advised me to bank our baby's cord blood while some told us we didn't need to. But, we chose to keep the blood cells and that's what we did. I made some research and Americord explained a lot before I started the process. I also chose them based on their price and service.

The specialists at Americord were very friendly and understanding. They made the experience very easy. The guy who picked up the kit was very nice. He called me and he showed up. The box was ready, then he took the stuff and we signed the paper. So far, I'm happy that I made the decision to keep the blood and the cells. I hope I will never use them, but it's a peace of mind to have something there if we need it. Overall, it was a very good experience.

Original review: March 29, 2019

My husband did a lot of research and towards the end was it was coming down to price between Americord and one other place. But the service was better from Americord so we ended up with them. So far, their service has been great. We got a really good quality of service for the price. We would totally recommend Americord.

Original review: March 23, 2019

I read about Americord and figured it is a good thing to have. Banking my baby's cord blood is good for the whole family if anything ever happens to my daughter, myself, my husband or any other kids I might have. Their reps were helpful and made the process easy. Plus, my experience with their specialist was good. They came to the hospital and picked the cord blood up. It was quick.

Original review: March 18, 2019

Our baby’s cord blood might be used in the future and one of our friends had just done it with Americord, so we chose to go with them. Everything has been very smooth with the process. When we joined though, they said they were gonna give the referral to our friend but it has been several months now and it still hasn’t been processed.

Americord response

Hello Radhika,

I am Martin Smithmyer, the CEO of Americord. I want to congratulate you and your entire family on your beautiful new addition.

I sincerely appreciate your feedback regarding your friend not receiving the Amazon gift card. Once I received your feedback, I immediately had my team review the account to verify if we sent the gift card via email and our record showed that it was sent on 3/28/19. However, after speaking with your friend, it seems that there was a system glitch and that prevented the email from going out that day. We send hundreds of gift card via email daily, and we had not heard from any of our other clients that they did not receive their gift cards.

After your feedback, our IT team very quickly resolved it and I am delighted to share that your friend has received the Amazon gift card. However, we welcome you to verify with your friend once more.

Nonetheless, in light of your feedback, I have asked one of our Client Service team members to contact you to be sure that you have no other concerns.

Again, we thank you for taking the time to help us improve our service. We look forward to our continued relationship.

Sincerely,

Martin

Original review: March 17, 2019

My friend suggested that a baby's cord would be something useful for any future medical treatments. Americord was referred to us and so far, our experience has been pretty good. Their courier came on time and he knew what he was expecting in the package.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Banking our baby’s cord blood is something new and we don’t wanna be feeling bad that we didn't do it so I did and this is our second time with Americord. They’re pretty good and informative. They answered the questions of the order we have. Plus, we got the kit on time too.

Original review: March 15, 2019

In 2014, my first daughter was born and we chose Americord then. Even though the office suggested a different company for my second baby, we wanted to go through Americord since my first daughter did bank with them. As soon as I contacted Americord for the second time cord blood banking, they made the process smooth. After finalizing, they sent the kit immediately, in two days. Even the courier process was done great. It was night time but as soon as we called, the very morning, they came and picked it up. After the banking, we just contacted them for the certificate. It was a really good experience with Americord and I would recommend this company to my friends. I have my Masters in Science and I hope that someday, banking both our children’s cord blood might help us in some other way.

Original review: March 12, 2019

We were doing some research and we were told that in case we need the cord for any medical purposes in future, banking it would really be helpful. Everybody else was doing it, so we did it too. My friend did their cord with Americord and they told me that everything like the service was really good. I went to them too and I had a really nice specialist. She was really helpful and she had knowledge of what she was doing. The people who picked up the kit came on time. They came to the hospital at the particular time they mentioned. They came to pick up everything. They checked then they left. Americord has exceeded my expectation.

Original review: March 8, 2019

We used Americord with our first baby and we went with the same thing for the second one. Their cost made me prefer them over other companies. Initially, I chatted with them online and they called me back on my cell. I requested for the different options that I have and they provided me with it. I chose the cord blood only, then they sent the box to me within two days. There were follow-up emails and text messages of what to do on the day of the delivery.

Once the delivery was done, I called back the team and they sent a person within eight hours. They picked it up and within two days, provided the certificate of how much was available. Their reps were pretty good and knowledgeable. They gave me information at the right time, so everything went through pretty smoothly. The instructions were pretty straightforward. When they sent me the text messages, everything was on there. And they always call me with a follow-up. I'd refer others to start with the Americord company.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Americord said to me that they can extract a higher number of cells and the representative explained each and everything. He told me the positive and the negative and he gave me what extra thing Americord is providing. So it was really helpful for me to exactly understand the cost, the pluses it leads to and how we can use it in the future. You never know what may happen so I wanted to save the cord blood to be on the safe side. It might be 10 years down the line but if something happens to the baby, to us or to her sibling, I should have something we can work on. At this point, I don't have any issues. It's going pretty well.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

One of the things that led us to Americord is the use of the latest technologies to preserve the cord blood for a longer time. Mainly, our thing was the price also. Plus the people at Americord were able to answer our questions on how the pricing would be, what would happen, how I would get something if I needed it and how a DNA would match. I think there was a quick test on how it matches with other DNAs. With all the things going around, we wanted to be careful. If something comes around, either to me, the baby or anybody, the cord blood would help our strength. We did it as an insurance and it has been a smooth journey. They came and picked the kit up, and that was it.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

My baby's cord blood could be used for a health issue. We decided to bank it and after doing a research, we went with Americord. I like that they saved the blood cells, the umbilical cord and the tissue of the placenta. The courier who picked up the kit was very nice and professional. We were stuck on some stuff, and he helped a lot.

Americord expert review by Sandra Gordon

Americord offers parents the ability to collect stem cells from the placenta and umbilical cord soon after the child's birth. These stem cells, obtained from cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue, can be used to help treat genetic diseases and other threats to the baby's life. Placenta tissue stem cells can also be used to benefit the mother.

• Personalized customer service: Americord provides 24-hour telephone support, meaning that you'll always have someone to reach out to.

• Lower prices: Americord offers a one-time payment plan or a 24-month plan to spread the cost of cord blood banking over two years to help individuals afford any treatment plans they need. There are no yearly storage fees.

• Proprietary technology: Americord's technology allows for up to two times as many stem cells compared to the traditional methods of cord blood extraction.

• Highest guarantee: Americord will pay up to $90,000 if your stem cell transplant fails to engraft. The company uses an AABB-accredited lab.

• Fast courier service: Cord blood extractions are delivered by the fastest medical courier in the United States.

• Best for: Parents who carry genetic diseases, children born from complicated births and children who may need organ regenerative therapies.

Profile picture of Sandra Gordon
Sandra Gordon Parenting Products Contributing Editor

Specializing in health and medicine, Sandra Gordon has written extensively about cord blood banking for national and regional parenting magazines. She also has written about baby products, including breast pumps, for national and regional parenting magazines, blogs and books. Her work has appeared in hundreds of publications, including Parents, Prevention, Woman’s Day and Self. Gordon also appears on TV as a baby safety and money-saving expert. She is also the author of 10 books and the founder of babyproductsmom.com, a site dedicated to helping new parents gear up safely and within their budget.

Americord questions and answers

What problem is Americord trying to solve?
Americord is working to improve lives in ways that would not otherwise be possible. We focus on cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue banking innovations that provide more treatment options for newborns and their families.

For example, our proprietary Cord Blood 2.0™ technology preserves up to twice as many stem cells, making it possible to treat larger patients and expand treatment opportunities for smaller patients. This is crucial because traditional cord blood banking often collects only enough stem cells to treat a child under 65 pounds. Americord expands treatment options to patients weighing up to 165 pounds.
What sets Americord apart from the competition?
Americord offers the broadest and most technologically advanced product line in the industry. Our focus is on providing more treatment options for clients by combining innovative technology and white-glove care for superior value.

We are the only company that offers Cord Blood 2.0™ technology that collects up to twice as many stem cells as the industry average.  In addition, we are one of very few companies that offer expertise in three stem cell products - cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue. We are also one of only two companies that offer a collection kits approved by the FDA for c-sections.

We are committed to the highest levels of customer service, with 24/7 availability and white-glove care, including bedside pickup service by the medical courier. For mothers in early labor or last minute stem cell banking decisions, our AmericordRush™ program offers same-day delivery of the Americord Collection Kit at no extra cost.

We allow parents to decide what to bank right up until delivery, with our 3-in-1 Collection Kit for the collection of cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue. Expectant parents can reserve a kit and then return it free of charge as their plans change. There are with no cancellation fees, no annual storage fees and no withdrawal fees.
What needs does Americord fulfill, and how does Americord fulfill those needs better than your competition?
Americord’s mission is to provide the highest quality services, at the lowest possible cost, while supporting unique and innovative ways to improve the therapeutic utility of cord blood and tissue stem cells to improve patients’ lives. We invest in the future of stem cell banking so that families and their loved ones will have peace of mind. We actively explore innovative collection, transportation, processing and storage technologies to improve yields and viability to ensure the best possible results for our customers and the medical community.

We operate to the highest ethical standards in the industry and are committed to complete customer satisfaction. We thoroughly test every collection, and if the yield falls below the recommended minimum standards, we don’t charge parents who elect to forgo storage. In addition, we don’t offer incentives to the medical community to steer patients to Americord, preferring that patients make an unbiased assessment of the best stem cell bank for their needs.

We have the highest quality guarantee in the industry at $90,000, eliminate all hidden fees, and offer a risk-free cancellation policy.
How does Americord measure success?
Our clients entrust us with their most valuable medical assets, and we take this trust seriously. We measure success by customer satisfaction and regularly solicit feedback to ensure our products and services fully meet or exceed their expectations. We also benchmark our stem cell yields to ensure they deliver on our promise of achieving twice the industry average. In 2016, we recorded our highest cord blood collection volume and TNC count of 183 ml and two billion TNCs, respectively.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about cord blood banking?
Expectant parents often have questions about the types stem cells that can be collected and stored and the potential different stem cells hold for future medical treatments for their growing families.

A newborn’s umbilical cord contains two types of stem cells – hematopoietic stem cells (HSCs) and mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs). HSCs stem cells are programmed to become red and white blood cells. Medical science has found ways to use their natural abilities to treat over 80 disease of the blood like leukemia. MSCs, on the other hand, develop into muscle cells, bone cells, cartilage cells and fat cells. MSCs are considered essential to the future of regenerative medicine.
How has cord blood banking changed in the last 5 years?
Over the last five years, scientific breakthroughs in regenerative medicine and stem cells have raised awareness and interest in umbilical cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue banking. At the same time, expectant parents can be overwhelmed by an influx of cord blood banking companies with confusing claims, complicated offers and aggressive marketing tactics. As the industry evolves, it has never been more important for expectant parents to find a reliable source of unbiased information to ensure they make the most informed choice for their important medical assets.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about Americord?
Americord is rooted in a firm set of values. Our purpose is to improve lives and change the world. Our core values support our purpose and define how we manage and successfully grow our business.

• Customers: We strive to serve and provide value to our customers, faithfully and consistently. This commitment is foundational to our success.

• Employees: We encourage an ownership mentality, treat others with respect, provide opportunities for learning and growth and challenge to be their best selves.

• Integrity: We treat all we encounter fairly and with integrity.

• Innovation: We constantly improve strategy, products, operations, ourselves, sales talking points, marketing and financial performance, and our internal processes, with the aim of challenging ourselves to leave the organization better off tomorrow than it was yesterday.

• Learning: We instill a culture of learning and growth.

• Community: We engage with the local community, advancing important technologies and being generally charitable and helpful to others.

These values are more than just words, they inform everything we do.
Has Americord received any rewards or recognition for its products or services that your customers would like to know about?
Americord is AABB and FDA accredited and we have an FDA accredited collection bag. We have an A+ Better Business Bureau rating. Americord is also licensed in all states that require licensure for cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue banking.
How has your company grown?
Americord’s superior technology, focus on customer service and engrained set of values has made it the fastest growing cord blood bank in the United States. As a result, the company has been listed on the Inc. 5000 List of the fastest growing private companies in America for the past two years.

Americord Company Information