4.8/5 (32 ratings)

About Americord

Americord is a private company that stores customers' umbilical cord blood, cord tissue and placental tissue. Customers can have their stem cells collected, processed and stored with Americord and use them for future medical or therapeutic use. Its processes allow the company to preserve up to twice the amount of stem cells than some competitors.

Pros

• Simple and straightforward
    • FDA-approved
    • Innovative procedures
    • $110,000 insurance

Cons

• Little flexibility
    • Pricey

Bottom Line

With $110,000 in insurance coverage and no extra fees, Americord is a reputable and affordable option. While it's still expensive and its customization options are limited, its services are straightforward and simple.

Top Americord Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

We thought it might be a good idea to save our baby’s blood cord in case we need it and my husband chose Americord. He was looking for the detail and they had a good review. The p...

Verified

One of my friends had a very good experience with Americord and referred me to it. My husband and I had a talk with the reps and they were good in answering our questions. It was ...

What is Americord?

Americord stores umbilical cord blood, cord tissue and placental tissue for customers. Stem cells from these sources can be collected during birth to be stored and used for medical treatments. Americord helps families save these stem cells and securely store them in case they need them in the future to treat blood cancers or other medical conditions.

The cord blood storage process starts before you have a baby. After signing up, Americord sends the kit to bring to the hospital for delivery. If your baby comes sooner than expected, Americord can overnight the kits for free. During delivery, a doctor or midwife draws the cord blood, cord tissue or placenta tissue into the sterile bag.

Americord dispatches a white-glove medical courier to the hospital to pick up the materials and deliver them to the blood bank to be processed, tested and stored. At any time, customers can choose to withdraw their stem cells for use.

Americord price

Customers typically store their stem cells for 20 years with Americord, which costs $3,499 upfront. This is the price for only one type of product: cord blood tissue, cord blood or placenta tissue. This cost also includes $110,000 worth of insurance in case of any issues.

With this option, Americord does not charge annual storage fees, and there are no cancellation fees associated with its services. Customers can also choose to pay an upfront cost of $1,499 with annual storage fees of $150. This brings the total 20-year cost to about $4,500.

Americord FAQ

How much does Americord cost?
    It costs $3,499 for 20-years of cord blood banking with Americord if you choose to pay upfront. You can also pay a $1,499 upfront cost with $150 annual storage fees.
    Does Americord charge any processing or withdrawal fees?
    No. Americord does not charge cancellation fees, annual storage fees or withdrawal fees.
    Is Americord good?
    Americord has an excellent track record for safe and reliable storage services. Its prices are also more affordable than some of the other options available.

Is Americord cord blood banking worth it?

For many families, the answer is a resounding yes. The truth is, it’s impossible to know if you’ll need to use the stem cells you store with Americord. If the upfront cost won’t break the bank, many people agree that storing stem cell tissue with Americord is worth it. Plus, the company's costs are more affordable than some other options. With no cancellation, storage or withdrawal fees, it’s a hassle-free way to invest in your child’s future health.

Americord Reviews

1 featured review
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Americord?

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

I like Americord's programming a little bit better. It was hard to understand which one would be better but Americord was more active in trying to communicate with me about any questions I had. They were kind and always tried to make sure that they answered any of my questions as best as they could. They kept in contact with me ­if I had any questions. They were quick to email me or call back. We haven't had to use any of it but Americord was great at getting our box to us and helping us through it. They came and picked up our box at a timely fashion as well and told us that all the samples that we got were good. We're hoping we never have to use it but I'm glad that they have good communication in case we do.

Get buying tips about Cord Blood Banking delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 11, 2021

We were researching cord blood. That's something we want to do with our first child. You don't know what hospital bills are coming in and you want to make sure that you have that liquid just in case. We looked at a few different companies and we didn't get very good customer service with some of them. Americord offered three different ways to store, that was different than some of the others, so we ended up going with them. We got a “Black Friday” deal because we ordered in November. They also offered us a really good payment plan because not everybody had $8,000 to just drop. We paid it off early after two and a half months.

I love that Americord was willing to talk to both my husband and me. They sent a rep straight to our hospital door to pick up the samples and I loved that they called us once they got it in the lab and they analyzed them. They told us the quality of it and everything they got from all the samples. It was fantastic. They got the best out of everything for all of us. Everything was fast and easy. In the first 48 hours when you're on zero sleep, especially after 21 hours of labor, the last thing you want to do is try to figure this out. So they were amazing. If I have a friend who's looking at cord blood, I'm definitely going to recommend them. I'm going to send them to my sales guy, Michael. He was phenomenal.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2021

The people were friendly. They gave us all the details that we needed and did not push us to sign up. Then the shipment for the kit was pretty timely. The courier picked it up from the hospital. They came on the same day that we called them. We researched that these things are still experimental right now, but there is good evidence that both the cord blood and the cord tissue can become useful for things like diseases that are rising now in people. It’s like a one-time thing. Also, with prevalent diseases that people are having like cancer and stuff, the cord tissue or the stem cells from the cord tissue can be used for the parents as well. If they have siblings, it can come useful to either of them. We don’t want to have to use it, but if needed, it is there.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

I tried to do research and going with Safe Step was a last-minute decision. The rep kept calling and I kept telling him I didn't want to do bank my baby's cord blood. But in the end, he convinced me to get it with him. He explained to me that some of it in the tissue might be used not only for the baby and the sibling, but parents and potentially, the grandparents. So when I realized the potential spectrum of the people that might be able to use it, then the likelihood of that actually being helpful and a useful investment became greater as opposed to wondering whether the baby would need it or not. The rep also said he was able to make it work and he did.

The whole process was very easy. Even with all the stress the day before the scheduled delivery date, it didn't really take much of my time and it wasn't that stressful filling the paperwork out. The courier came to the house with the kit within hours that same day, because I had to go to the hospital the next day. My husband did a lot of the stuff but when we got to the hospital, the nurses seemed to know what to do once we told them there was a kit. And we just called the number once the baby was born. All in all, it was a good price for the peace of mind.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2021

The setup was easy and the rep who helped through did a great job. We made this decision for our first child and then three years later when we were about to have our second child, I was able to reach out with a single email. She still had my phone number. She was very attentive to the timeline of having the baby and somewhat of the ambiguous nature of ones that may actually occur. On our second go around, we neglected to do it in advance. But she was able to help us get it completed expeditiously and in place within a few weeks so that we were prepared for our second child. They remembered who we were, paid enough attention, and at least took some note that even after so much time had passed, we were still working with the same agent and customer service representatives. I thought that was all the attention to detail I like to see.

The instructions were there in the kit so it was easy for the medical staff to collect the necessary samples. And then the courier component was just making a simple phone call and then they were there within a few hours to do that. It was one of the services that we were happy about and with and when that conversation came up, we made that recommendation to other people. Americord is not cheap but it's something that for the relative cost of what's the effect it could have on our children's life is priceless.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

The service has been good and they gave us good information. We think it's a good opportunity for our child’s health in the future or for us if anything comes up.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

Americord seemed like a good fit when we compared prices and options. They were good about following up. Preserving the baby's cord blood is valuable if you have an instance where you have to use it and you're able to.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

I did Americord for my elder son and I thought it would be better if I use the same bank for my second child as well. This is in consideration of future advancements and this might also help my children. Americord gave me what I needed. I got the package on time and they took the blood on time. They stored it and did all the necessary things that I expected. They did a count on the number of cells that they were able to store.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

We compared a couple of banks and Americord stands out more price-wise. Also, we wanted to do a placenta preserve and they were the only company doing that. The rep was really helpful, knowledgeable and understanding. He was informative and he answered all our questions. If something in the future happens, this could be a way to get our baby better health-wise.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

This was the third time I worked with Americord. Everything was good. The rep contacted me prior to the due date. Everything was clear. Then, on the day of the due date, we called them and they helped us right away. Not only that, but we were missing the doctor’s signature, and they told us not to worry about it, that they were going to get it. The courier got there even before the time that they have set.

Americord Company Information