Call toll free
4.74/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Americord is a pioneer in the development of umbilical cord blood, cord tissue, and placenta tissue banking. They’ve developed Cord Blood 2.0, a ground-breaking process that collects up to twice as many stem cells compared to traditional cord blood collection. Americord provides the quality and highest standards you are looking for. They are FDA registered and do not charge yearly storage fees. Call Americord today to see what they can offer your family.

291 Americord Consumer Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: June 30, 2019

I’ve read through some of the benefits of cord blood banking. My husband and I had a trait of a blood disorder, so we tried to do it. We didn’t do it with our first child as we kind of forgot but as we planned for our second child, it was something that we wanted to look into and take advantage of because we never know what may happen in the future.

A week or two before my scheduled c-section, I decided to contact Americord. A friend of mine referred them and my experience with them was pretty seamless. I called them one day and by the next day, they already overnighted me the kit and called to walk me through how to use it. Their customer service was excellent. The pickup was also easy and right after they collected it, they gave it back to us. When we got to our room and got settled, we called in for the courier and he was there within an hour or so. He was very respectful. He knocked on the door, stated who he was, and stayed behind the curtain that was like a little partition. Then my husband went and gave him the kit.

Overall, Americord's service was excellent. I wasn’t even sure how it was gonna work and how it would happen. But they called me and walked me through things. It’s been about two months now and I’ve got about six follow-up calls to make sure that I was okay and checking on the baby. I just like what they’re doing, so I greatly appreciate that.

Get expert buying tips about Cord Blood Banking delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 15, 2019

I was referred to Americord and as I was speaking with them, they decided to give me a discount. There are new cancers coming out and people are more prone to be diagnosed with different types of cancer and it’s genetic. My husband’s side of the family has had a lot of people diagnosed with cancer. So if I can alleviate it by donating cord blood, which is for stem cell research and it can help out with a family member or my child, where they wouldn’t have to go through extraneous tests and have to pay the most bucks on medicine or treatments, it’s not gonna work or cause them to be a little bit more lethargic. I just thought it was a better idea, to pay the upfront cost instead of the long-term cost.

I’m also a chemist and I do believe in science. So, in case something was to ever happen with one of my child, me, my husband, our family members, it’s a good way to help them out in whatever situation they may be in. Americord did an excellent job. They met my expectations by calling, making sure everything was okay, giving me direct information on how to handle the process and checking out to make sure everything went well. Plus, the process was straightforward and the cord blood can last up to 21 years.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I've used Americord before for my twins. They did a pretty good job. A lot of it was to do the with the storage fee. Storage fee is included versus other companies, you pay a lifetime yearly storage fee. With my most recent experience I called and emailed their customer service, and then they put me in touch with a rep. And the representative was in New York. She called and listed the options available, including the cost. She said she could give a discount if we decided to pay upfront, meaning the whole fee versus a payment plan. We emailed back and forth. She wasn't too pushy, but she called me about once every 10 days to check in if I need any more information and if I have made a decision between placenta cord blood and umbilical cord, because I can do combinations.

It was very plainly laid out what the cost options were. And then I decided on going with cord blood and umbilical cord tissue after I talked to my doctor about it. They sent me the kit and it didn't cost me anything. I just held on to it. They did take a deposit, but the deposit was refundable if I went to a delivery, and they couldn't harvest anything. She also said that if they made a mistake, like if their courier couldn't get the blood to the bank in time, and there was no cells, then it was also refundable. So I didn't really see a lot of risks.

I gave her my credit card for the deposit, and that was also gonna be used for the payment as well. They ran the deposit and it was $230. I gave birth. They harvested the blood on the kit, then they called the number on it. When we called the number, they put me in touch with the courier service. But then, they had trouble looking up both twins' information. A few days before my scheduled C-section, I filled out everything online, registering my child and they also had trouble looking that information up to match it and trying to figure out Twin A versus Twin B. But that all got worked out. It just took a couple of hours over the phone. I just told them what the issues were, and they figured it out behind the scenes.

The courier, which was an independent contractor came. He took the samples and drove it straight to LAX. He gave me a receipt of taking it. And then 10 days later, I got an email saying that there were viable cells, and that they would be charging my card the full amount, which was like 10,700. After I paid, they gave me an official certificate of storage for the amount of cells in the blood. They did a pretty good job. Except maybe having the courier's information might be good because I didn't know he was coming. But they did the follow-up phone calls, which was great, to see how everything went in the experience.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Americord seemed to be the most popular option through our doctor and we went off the recommendation. We saw it as an insurance policy for the future. Our doctor warned us that a lot of it is science that isn’t quite here yet. It's potential science and it’s a chance we would be taking that may or may not come to fruition. But the potential benefit seemed to outweigh the cost for us and that was really why we ended up going to do it. But we had waited until the last minute to decide that we were actually gonna do it. It was two weeks before we went to the hospital and at that point, I was a little nervous because I had heard or read somewhere that we would need to go ahead and get paperwork and stuff done 8 to 10 weeks in advance.

But the experience was wonderful. Everything went very smoothly. We got the box the day after I purchased it online and that was great because I ended up being induced earlier than our due date. I was glad it was able to still be done. The courier was great too. He showed up not long after we had made the call and he did a great job. It seemed to work nicely. Americord has definitely met my expectations so far. It’s one of those things that's like an investment. You put the money in and don’t think about it until you have to use it. And as long as it’s working for me, I’m fine. We were pleased with the way everything went and I definitely had good things to say to friends of ours.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I work in healthcare and I know the benefits of stem cells. Also, one of my best friends from my school passed away from leukemia because she needed a bone marrow transplant and she couldn't find a match. So I did a lot of research going to stem cells. If she would have had her blood banked when we were little, then she may not have been in that situation. The woman we dealt with at Americord communicated well and I liked the fact that we could pay all upfront and not pay an annual fee. I delivered early in the morning and my husband called for the kit to be picked up. Then the hospital front desk called us and told us that the courier was there to pick it up so my husband took it out. The only thing Americord can improve improve on is the communication after the retrieval and the processing of the blood.

Clients are spending a lot of money and then Americord would just come and send you an email that they processed it and they charged your card. They do not communicate what the volume was and how many stem cells they were able to get. I know you can go on the website and find that. But in a busy time after having a baby, it would be nice for them to communicate that and give you an idea if that's a good amount or if it is on the low end but is still a match should you ever need to use it. But overall, it was a good experience and I was happy with it. Americord has met my expectations and it's nice that we have the cord blood there should we need it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Americord?

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

I used Americord for my first child, so I thought I would use the same one. I had a good experience with the blood specialist as well as the courier.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

I was just taking every precaution possible and I didn't think it was worth the money yet to do soft tissue. But knowing that the number of stem cells was kind of an opportunity, I thought the money was worth it and I decided to bank my baby’s cord blood. I liked the whole setup of Americord and some of the technology that they used was a little bit better than the others. Then, after dealing with the sales consultant, she answered all my questions and they did what they said they would do. At that crazy time, consistency mattered, so everything was great from when they sent out the kit to the logistics company that picked it up and the follow up after the certificates. It made me feel like everything was handled well. Americord has definitely met my expectations and they did well. It was excellent.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

We have a family history of Hodgkin’s lymphoma. My mom had it and she had to do a stem cell transplant. This made us want to bank our baby's blood in case they ever needed their stem cells. We liked Americord's price and so we went with them. Everybody there was very nice and they explained their process perfectly.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2019

I like Americord's services and the rates that they were providing. It makes me feel secured that the cord blood is being saved for my kids. I heard a lot about the stem cell therapy and stuff that treat a lot of diseases these days. I’m hoping I never have to use that, but in case anything happens, I’m hoping they could come through and it can treat my children or me and my husband.

Original review: July 30, 2019

I had a very nice experience with the Americord rep that I dealt with. I chose them because of their price. And so far, Americord has met my expectations and I'd probably use it again.

Americord expert review by Sandra Gordon

Americord offers parents the ability to collect stem cells from the placenta and umbilical cord soon after the child's birth. These stem cells, obtained from cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue, can be used to help treat genetic diseases and other threats to the baby's life. Placenta tissue stem cells can also be used to benefit the mother.

• Personalized customer service: Americord provides 24-hour telephone support, meaning that you'll always have someone to reach out to.

• Lower prices: Americord offers a one-time payment plan or a 24-month plan to spread the cost of cord blood banking over two years to help individuals afford any treatment plans they need. There are no yearly storage fees.

• Proprietary technology: Americord's technology allows for up to two times as many stem cells compared to the traditional methods of cord blood extraction.

• Highest guarantee: Americord will pay up to $90,000 if your stem cell transplant fails to engraft. The company uses an AABB-accredited lab.

• Fast courier service: Cord blood extractions are delivered by the fastest medical courier in the United States.

• Best for: Parents who carry genetic diseases, children born from complicated births and children who may need organ regenerative therapies.

Profile picture of Sandra Gordon
Sandra Gordon Parenting Products Contributing Editor

Specializing in health and medicine, Sandra Gordon has written extensively about cord blood banking for national and regional parenting magazines. She also has written about baby products, including breast pumps, for national and regional parenting magazines, blogs and books. Her work has appeared in hundreds of publications, including Parents, Prevention, Woman’s Day and Self. Gordon also appears on TV as a baby safety and money-saving expert. She is also the author of 10 books and the founder of babyproductsmom.com, a site dedicated to helping new parents gear up safely and within their budget.

Americord questions and answers

What problem is Americord trying to solve?
Americord is working to improve lives in ways that would not otherwise be possible. We focus on cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue banking innovations that provide more treatment options for newborns and their families.

For example, our proprietary Cord Blood 2.0™ technology preserves up to twice as many stem cells, making it possible to treat larger patients and expand treatment opportunities for smaller patients. This is crucial because traditional cord blood banking often collects only enough stem cells to treat a child under 65 pounds. Americord expands treatment options to patients weighing up to 165 pounds.
What sets Americord apart from the competition?
Americord offers the broadest and most technologically advanced product line in the industry. Our focus is on providing more treatment options for clients by combining innovative technology and white-glove care for superior value.

We are the only company that offers Cord Blood 2.0™ technology that collects up to twice as many stem cells as the industry average.  In addition, we are one of very few companies that offer expertise in three stem cell products - cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue. We are also one of only two companies that offer a collection kits approved by the FDA for c-sections.

We are committed to the highest levels of customer service, with 24/7 availability and white-glove care, including bedside pickup service by the medical courier. For mothers in early labor or last minute stem cell banking decisions, our AmericordRush™ program offers same-day delivery of the Americord Collection Kit at no extra cost.

We allow parents to decide what to bank right up until delivery, with our 3-in-1 Collection Kit for the collection of cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue. Expectant parents can reserve a kit and then return it free of charge as their plans change. There are with no cancellation fees, no annual storage fees and no withdrawal fees.
What needs does Americord fulfill, and how does Americord fulfill those needs better than your competition?
Americord’s mission is to provide the highest quality services, at the lowest possible cost, while supporting unique and innovative ways to improve the therapeutic utility of cord blood and tissue stem cells to improve patients’ lives. We invest in the future of stem cell banking so that families and their loved ones will have peace of mind. We actively explore innovative collection, transportation, processing and storage technologies to improve yields and viability to ensure the best possible results for our customers and the medical community.

We operate to the highest ethical standards in the industry and are committed to complete customer satisfaction. We thoroughly test every collection, and if the yield falls below the recommended minimum standards, we don’t charge parents who elect to forgo storage. In addition, we don’t offer incentives to the medical community to steer patients to Americord, preferring that patients make an unbiased assessment of the best stem cell bank for their needs.

We have the highest quality guarantee in the industry at $90,000, eliminate all hidden fees, and offer a risk-free cancellation policy.
How does Americord measure success?
Our clients entrust us with their most valuable medical assets, and we take this trust seriously. We measure success by customer satisfaction and regularly solicit feedback to ensure our products and services fully meet or exceed their expectations. We also benchmark our stem cell yields to ensure they deliver on our promise of achieving twice the industry average. In 2016, we recorded our highest cord blood collection volume and TNC count of 183 ml and two billion TNCs, respectively.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about cord blood banking?
Expectant parents often have questions about the types stem cells that can be collected and stored and the potential different stem cells hold for future medical treatments for their growing families.

A newborn’s umbilical cord contains two types of stem cells – hematopoietic stem cells (HSCs) and mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs). HSCs stem cells are programmed to become red and white blood cells. Medical science has found ways to use their natural abilities to treat over 80 disease of the blood like leukemia. MSCs, on the other hand, develop into muscle cells, bone cells, cartilage cells and fat cells. MSCs are considered essential to the future of regenerative medicine.
How has cord blood banking changed in the last 5 years?
Over the last five years, scientific breakthroughs in regenerative medicine and stem cells have raised awareness and interest in umbilical cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue banking. At the same time, expectant parents can be overwhelmed by an influx of cord blood banking companies with confusing claims, complicated offers and aggressive marketing tactics. As the industry evolves, it has never been more important for expectant parents to find a reliable source of unbiased information to ensure they make the most informed choice for their important medical assets.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about Americord?
Americord is rooted in a firm set of values. Our purpose is to improve lives and change the world. Our core values support our purpose and define how we manage and successfully grow our business.

• Customers: We strive to serve and provide value to our customers, faithfully and consistently. This commitment is foundational to our success.

• Employees: We encourage an ownership mentality, treat others with respect, provide opportunities for learning and growth and challenge to be their best selves.

• Integrity: We treat all we encounter fairly and with integrity.

• Innovation: We constantly improve strategy, products, operations, ourselves, sales talking points, marketing and financial performance, and our internal processes, with the aim of challenging ourselves to leave the organization better off tomorrow than it was yesterday.

• Learning: We instill a culture of learning and growth.

• Community: We engage with the local community, advancing important technologies and being generally charitable and helpful to others.

These values are more than just words, they inform everything we do.
Has Americord received any rewards or recognition for its products or services that your customers would like to know about?
Americord is AABB and FDA accredited and we have an FDA accredited collection bag. We have an A+ Better Business Bureau rating. Americord is also licensed in all states that require licensure for cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue banking.
How has your company grown?
Americord’s superior technology, focus on customer service and engrained set of values has made it the fastest growing cord blood bank in the United States. As a result, the company has been listed on the Inc. 5000 List of the fastest growing private companies in America for the past two years.

Americord Company Information