4.7/5 (436 ratings)

About Americord

Americord is a private company that stores customers' umbilical cord blood, cord tissue and placental tissue. Customers can have their stem cells collected, processed and stored with Americord and use them for future medical or therapeutic use. Its processes allow the company to preserve up to twice the amount of stem cells than some competitors.

Pros

• Simple and straightforward
    • FDA-approved
    • Innovative procedures
    • $110,000 insurance

Cons

• Little flexibility
    • Pricey

Bottom Line

With $110,000 in insurance coverage and no extra fees, Americord is a reputable and affordable option. While it's still expensive and its customization options are limited, its services are straightforward and simple.

Top Americord Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

We thought it might be a good idea to save our baby’s blood cord in case we need it and my husband chose Americord. He was looking for the detail and they had a good review. The p...

Verified

One of my friends had a very good experience with Americord and referred me to it. My husband and I had a talk with the reps and they were good in answering our questions. It was ...

What is Americord?

Americord stores umbilical cord blood, cord tissue and placental tissue for customers. Stem cells from these sources can be collected during birth to be stored and used for medical treatments. Americord helps families save these stem cells and securely store them in case they need them in the future to treat blood cancers or other medical conditions.

The cord blood storage process starts before you have a baby. After signing up, Americord sends the kit to bring to the hospital for delivery. If your baby comes sooner than expected, Americord can overnight the kits for free. During delivery, a doctor or midwife draws the cord blood, cord tissue or placenta tissue into the sterile bag.

Americord dispatches a white-glove medical courier to the hospital to pick up the materials and deliver them to the blood bank to be processed, tested and stored. At any time, customers can choose to withdraw their stem cells for use.

Americord price

Customers typically store their stem cells for 20 years with Americord, which costs $3,499 upfront. This is the price for only one type of product: cord blood tissue, cord blood or placenta tissue. This cost also includes $110,000 worth of insurance in case of any issues.

With this option, Americord does not charge annual storage fees, and there are no cancellation fees associated with its services. Customers can also choose to pay an upfront cost of $1,499 with annual storage fees of $150. This brings the total 20-year cost to about $4,500.

Americord FAQ

How much does Americord cost?
    It costs $3,499 for 20-years of cord blood banking with Americord if you choose to pay upfront. You can also pay a $1,499 upfront cost with $150 annual storage fees.
    Does Americord charge any processing or withdrawal fees?
    No. Americord does not charge cancellation fees, annual storage fees or withdrawal fees.
    Is Americord good?
    Americord has an excellent track record for safe and reliable storage services. Its prices are also more affordable than some of the other options available.

Is Americord cord blood banking worth it?

For many families, the answer is a resounding yes. The truth is, it’s impossible to know if you’ll need to use the stem cells you store with Americord. If the upfront cost won’t break the bank, many people agree that storing stem cell tissue with Americord is worth it. Plus, the company's costs are more affordable than some other options. With no cancellation, storage or withdrawal fees, it’s a hassle-free way to invest in your child’s future health.

Americord Reviews

1 featured review
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Americord?

Original review: Sept. 15, 2022

I received the package a few weeks before the actual delivery date. We delivered at 12:00. I had a bad experience with them. The service was not there till morning. The hospital people were not allowing me to put that basket with all those three different things in the room. I shipped it to my friend nearby. He came and left it in the morning so that their person would pick it up. Their pickup should be a bit flexible.

Get buying tips about Cord Blood Banking delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2022

Americord is very responsive. I like it when I call and a human picks up the phone and answers most of the questions. The rep I worked with was very helpful. The only thing is, I have a little problem when I call for pick up. The representative who picks up the phone has a heavy accent at the time. So it takes a little bit. It's a little difficult for me to understand. I have to talk very loud in the patient room. Other than that, it's okay.

Original review: March 1, 2022

Americord was running a promotion during the time that I was having a baby and they did one extra type of storage that other companies didn't do. They were super helpful, even the day that I was having the baby. There were some miscommunications. It was a weird process and the courier didn't know what was happening. He was asking us for shipping labels and my husband had to call Americord and iron it out during that time. The courier was supposed to have been the one taking care of that stuff.

Also, I was wondering if Americord received the stuff or if they stored it. It was not scary, but it's one of those things where you don't really know what's happening. But because Americord is so communicative, it relaxes you a little bit. They call about once a month just to check in. On the whole Americord has been great. Luckily, I haven't needed to use any of the stuff that I stored. My husband has MS and if he had banked some of his stem cells, it could have helped him in his treatment. Go with Americord. It makes sense.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2022

The customer service was really nice. Customer service makes a difference when you feel comfortable talking or you feel secure, given something as big as your baby's cord. For me, that was a lot. The follow-up was amazing. When I called and let them know that I delivered the baby, they got there in less than an hour. Every time that I call and I have any questions, they're really, really nice. They explain everything to me. The person who initially got me into Americord was amazing.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2022

We had some small changes during the actual collection sample and it was a very seamless process, so was the pick-up. The person that came and picked it up was all very easy, which was great because we were really stressed and new baby at the time. We weren't sure if he was gonna have to come into the hospital or not because of COVID. One thing to worry about is having to find him. But he was waiting right outside of our door for us just to drop it off. Americord has met our expectations so far. Our baby's cord blood has been banked and that's all we were looking for.

Original review: March 18, 2022

Americord has collected the cord on time when I was in the hospital. It was smooth. They always respond very on time. I enjoy their service. You should give it a try because just in case in the future you need to use it, you won't feel regret for doing it.

Original review: March 10, 2022

Everybody was really nice. They had great customer service. My husband did all the research on the different banks that were available. But Americord stood out because they were able to capture a higher percentage of the pluripotent stem cells.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

I called them and they were easy to work with. The person that I spoke with told me he would overnight the kit to me. It put me at ease. Then everything came in and the kit was pretty simple to use. They contacted me and let me know that they received the kit. Their customer service has been good. Every interaction I've had has been good. They call me back pretty fast.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

The service has been good and they gave us good information. We think it's a good opportunity for our child’s health in the future or for us if anything comes up.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

Americord seemed like a good fit when we compared prices and options. They were good about following up. Preserving the baby's cord blood is valuable if you have an instance where you have to use it and you're able to.

Americord Company Information