Call toll free
4.73/5
Based on 97 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Americord is a pioneer in the development of umbilical cord blood, cord tissue, and placenta tissue banking. They’ve developed Cord Blood 2.0, a ground-breaking process that collects up to twice as many stem cells compared to traditional cord blood collection. Americord provides the quality and highest standards you are looking for. They are FDA registered and do not charge yearly storage fees. Call Americord today to see what they can offer your family.

AA BB Accredited
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

172 Americord Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 18, 2018

Using Americord is good. I've heard of people banking their baby's cord blood before so it's better to have it than not have it if you need it. I had my first baby also and I did my research. When I called Americord to ask questions, they were good with it and it was a doctor who was actually answering the questions. The prices were better too. Then when I called for the pickup, the courier got there super fast.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: June 26, 2018

Banking our baby’s cord blood might be useful at some point in the future so we decided to do it. One of my friends referred us to Americord and we are happy with the tech. They came to the door and they just took the kit so it was very convenient for us.

Original review: June 23, 2018

My brother died very young. He passed away almost four years ago from diabetes and it was caused by an ATV accident. He flipped his ATV and it damaged his pancreas and after that, he became a type 1 diabetic. There was a scar tissue build-up and there were also autoimmune diseases in our family. If my son were to have it, there could be a higher chance that it could be curable. There’s still a lot of research in cord blood banking and it's not definite, but I would rather have that option than not.

I liked that Americord had the most information available, which made it easier to communicate with them and they’re very straightforward with their information. I spoke to a woman and a man and they were able to tell me how the cord blood could possibly help with the stem cell and then they told me you can either pay upfront or do a payment plan. When they sent the kit, it was fast on arrival and it was easy for the doctors to understand step by step how to collect the cord blood.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I have a history of Leukemia and lots of people in my family have cancer. I thought that banking my baby's blood cord might be worth the investment and I like that Americord did the placenta as well, so I went with them. The specialists I worked with were friendly and knowledgeable. They answered everything that I wanted to know and they were very respectful of my indecisiveness. Everything was easy. My hospital didn't normally do blood cord banking, so it was their first time doing that and they managed to get it done. The experience overall was really great and I would do it again.

Original review: June 20, 2018

My mother-in-law did a lot of the research and she liked Americord. We have cancer on both side of the family. If there was any sort of issue, and our daughter needed stuff, we would have the cord blood available. Americord was very on top of everything. They were very courteous over the phone. The courier who came and picked it up was great. And they followed up every time anything happened.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Americord?

Original review: June 19, 2018

Americord has the best promotion going. We decided to bank our baby's cord blood because it's better to be safe than sorry and for the amount of money that I was spending Americord stores the longest compared to other companies. Plus the cord specialist was knowledgeable and very helpful. It's a very good experience.

Original review: June 16, 2018

We used Americord with all our sons and the online person there was better than that of the other organizations. This time, my communication with the representative wasn’t as long. I did not have so many questions and he was very helpful. I'm a biologist and I believe that we’re gonna have a lot of applications for the stem cell in the future. My oldest son has autism spectrum disorder and I read that there are some researches in this field on the application of stem cells.

Original review: June 13, 2018

My Americord experience has been positive. My wife decided to bank cord blood off chance that we would need it to secure our children's safety. They did an easy job of explaining it and the pick up process was very simple. We called and they were there in two hours.

Original review: June 12, 2018

We've had some family histories of different things and I wanted to guard against that in case something were to happen with our daughter. In the beginning, I didn't realize there were so many different ways to cord bank. But I just did the cord blood and the specialist that I worked with was very friendly and very helpful. Everything was covered and explained really well. And I've gotten really good service afterwards. Americord told me everything was stored well, so I was very confident in their service.

Original review: May 28, 2018

We decided to bank our baby's cord blood because we didn't want to take any chances if something goes bad because he's a high-risk baby. We chose Americord because they had placenta tissue storage which others did not have. The cord specialists helped us a lot in choosing and explained everything. But the courier couldn't find us properly, so we had to guide them to reach us to the hospital room.

Nowhere on Americord's kit it was it mentioned how much cord blood should be collected. When the doctors collected the blood and we sent it, Americord replied saying the amount of blood collected was less than the standard. And this is a one-time thing. We can't go back and collect it. Even the doctors were not aware of that. They had given us the parent sheet, doctor's sheet and nurse's sheet but it wasn’t mentioned anywhere. And we had to call them and they said that there was no use of storing a lesser amount. They said something like only a particular amount of blood is stored and something can be done on that. So everything was initially good but later on we had to face all the problems because that was the time when I should have attended on my baby. Instead of that, I had to answer the call from Americord why they were not storing and the policies and everything. That was not what I was supposed to do on that whole day.

Americord response

Dear Gauri -

This is Martin, CEO of Americord. I first want to congratulate you and your family on your new addition.

I appreciate your feedback and I'm sorry to hear that you had this experience with your collection. It is our aim at Americord to help parents to bank as much of their cord blood, cord tissue, and placenta tissue as possible. However, some collections are not always as voluminous due to several factors at time of collection that our team would be happy to discuss with you.

In light of your feedback, I have asked my team to conduct a full review of our healthcare guidelines and we will be making our instructions more transparent to parents and their health care providers around collection volumes in the coming weeks. These changes will supplement our existing procedure provided to clients, such as our informative emails and check-in calls prior to birth, where we encourage our clients to talk with their OBGYN/Midwife about being sure to completely fill the cord blood bag.

While I appreciate that this will not solve the problem in your case, I hope that it will help future parents avoid the difficulties that you have experienced.

Congratulations again to you and your family on your new addition. If you have any further need for help or would like to discuss this more, please feel free to contact client services at 866-503-6005 ext. 2 and mention this response.

Sincerely,

Martin

Original review: May 24, 2018

I had done a lot of research and Americord had the best reviews. I like them specifically because of the amount of cord blood that they're able to save. And it has the higher number, like it goes up a bigger number of pounds or age wise than the others. The specialist was great and I was also well informed by the individuals I spoke with. They were very efficient in regards to getting the information I needed and it was simple. I got the package, I knew how to bring it and the directions were clear.

The only issue I had was at the hospital when my son was born. The person who came to pick it up had the wrong name and that was very confusing, so my husband ended up having to call Americord. And my son had literally just been born so it was a little bit hectic. So having to do that was like a little confusing but the guy was really nice and it did get resolved. But other than that it was great. We thought it would be a good idea for us to have it in case that it was necessary for him or for a sibling. It seemed worth it. I did recommend it to my sister and she ended up using it too.

Original review: May 22, 2018

Americord has definitely met my expectations. Someone informed me when they went and got the kit, and then I got a receipt. It was very easy. Whenever I needed information, I would call up the contact person. She was very helpful in understanding my requirement and forwarding any suggestions or any other services Americord has if I wanted them. There was no forcing and it's been a good experience talking to them. There's no hassle, and they are completely open. I'm very happy with Americord.

Original review: May 18, 2018

My kid’s grandparents are scientists and they’re really big on cord blood banking. They were pushing the issue and so they are the ones who actually fronted the funds for it so that it could happen. Americord was recommended to me by my sister-in-law and I had a great experience with the cord blood specialist. Everything has been easy, particularly the transactions. I would recommend Americord to others as well.

Original review: May 17, 2018

At the beginning, I set up an appointment to have an Americord specialist talk to me. And we missed that appointment because the person that needed to talk to me got called away. But then, another agent called me, so I set up an appointment with her. I talked to her, and it was okay after that. The instruction on everything was very well laid out, so it was hassle-free. They came by to pick up the kit in a timely manner and it was on a weekend. Americord is a good company to bank with. They are a reputable company and I have ease if mind now that my specimens are safe where they are. The only thing is that every time I spoke with Americord, I get a different representative. It would have been nice to have just one representative assigned to each customer, so you could have somebody to go to and it makes things a little bit easier that way.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I usually buy stuff from Buy Buy Baby and saw Americord's commercial there. I trust whatever they advertise so I contacted Americord and talked to the specialist. She responded to my email very promptly and she didn't mind repeating the answers for me. She was polite, nice, and sounded very knowledgeable. My husband handled the rest, including talking to the medical carrier. I got the certificate immediately and I liked the overall experience. I would recommend Americord.

Original review: May 2, 2018

We decided to get Americord because of their payment structure. I just like it to be done in two years. With every other company you're paying whatever we're paying monthly or more every year for the rest of your life. So I'd rather just get it over and done with. And the other thing I like is that they were here in New York and live in Long Island. And they were the quickest one to get the stuff here. We weren't going to do it and we weren't sure and then I spoke to them. They said, "Listen do you think the baby might come now. We'll get the stuff in over and we'll be there today." And that's what happened. The specialist was helpful. He was texting me, "Did the kid arrived there yet." It was just constant follow up which is great. We'll use it again for the next one.

Original review: April 18, 2018

My husband did most of the research, particularly for the payment structure, and then we both chose to do both cord blood banking and the tissue as that would be more cost effective. The Americord representatives had really great communication. They reached out and they kept checking because we went past our due date. They checked in to make sure everything was okay and they called and sent us emails to make sure we knew exactly what to do. We also had a good experience with the courier. While the value of the service will be seen when we ever need to draw anything from the samples, it has been a great experience. Their customer service team was super great.

Original review: April 17, 2018

When we had our first child, we did research on cord blood banking and we did it. Then we wanted to do it for our second child as well. We inquired about the price in Americord and went with them this time. The courier came on time but we didn’t have the document so he waited for half an hour.

Original review: April 16, 2018

The Americord blood specialist was very informative, not pushy, and very helpful. They walked me through the whole process and how the blood will be stored for 18+ years. We're financially able to afford it based on the payment that Americord provided to us with the monthly payment.

Original review: April 8, 2018

Americord had the best option with the price, with what they give, and the number of years. Their specialist was knowledgeable and very informative. They explained the cord blood and everything. And when you call them, I would get the same person or if I asked for her, they knew who I was talking about. That was very good. The kit was picked up very quickly. By the time the courier driver texted-in, it only took less than two hours and he was there, and then we got a text when it was delivered.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I've used Americord twice now and my experience has been excellent. I've had two babies and they’ve been very nice and they've walked me through the whole process. With the first one, the carrier who picked up the kit was great. The second one was a little quick. He could have stayed and told me what I need and what I should do, but he was good.

Americord had really high ratings. I decided on banking my babies' cord blood in any event that if anything unforeseen happens. And unfortunately, there are childhood diseases and if something happens later in my children's lives, it can be a value to them. I want them to have that opportunity. Overall, both times, Americord has been very helpful. Any time I've called in or needed documentation I thought I couldn’t find or get, they’ve always been great about giving me that right away and showing me how to get it online and access the portal. Their customer service has always been great and signing up has always been super easy. So, I liked their very efficient process.

Original review: March 26, 2018

Americord is the only bank that stores placenta for people. I had a C-section so they did everything in the room during the operation. And a guy came and picked up what was needed four hours later. And it was easy to sign and process everything. And they sent it to our house right away with all the information explaining how it could help our child or us in the future. They also sent me a basket when I came home from the hospital, which was nice. My experience with them was great, and I'd tell my friends that they should do it. It's definitely worth it even though it's an expense. It's something that can't be replaced when you could be able to help your child or you in the future.

Original review: March 25, 2018

My husband is in the medical field and he told me that banking our baby's cord blood was a very good thing to do. We wanted to do it with our first child but we couldn't afford it back then. I forgot about it when we had our second child and then for our third child, we were in Okinawa and they didn't have that option over there. So when we had another baby, we looked at the reviews online and Americord had good reviews. Also, I like that they have payment options. You could pay the whole sum or you could pay monthly which I appreciate. So, it's more affordable.

When I was about to check out, I got distracted with the children and then the cord blood specialist called me on and asked why I didn't check out. I told them that I got distracted, but he offered me a discount and he helped with the process of checking out. And then he told me what the steps were with the kit and that the kit would be delivered really soon because I was due in a month. So, it was a really good experience. The day right after I gave birth, they called the number and they came to Walter Reed Medical Center. We were a little worried that they don’t have a military pass but the base allowed them to come in. My husband took the kit and gave it to the carrier. I'm very satisfied and I'd highly recommend Americord.

Original review: March 23, 2018

It seemed like everybody’s service is equivalent so a better price was really what I was looking for. Americord had a competitive price and I couldn't really afford anything more than that. The cord blood specialists were very thorough as well. It was above and beyond what I was expecting. They were prompt, very responsive and open to communication. And they followed through. There was a lot of back and forth because I had to go to the hospital and it was a little confusing but they handled it well and it was straightforward. Banking my baby's cord blood is important for the future of the family and I'm very happy with Americord. I would recommend.

Original review: March 21, 2018

Americord offer varied services and had additional services, placenta tissue collection, and something else which the others did not. And the combined price was good. The cord blood specialist explained the details well enough. Americord took care of everything. The courier came on time as much as he could. We had around six to eight inches of snow at that time, and he still managed to come in and do the pickup. So, I can’t complain about him being late by 40 minutes especially with having tough driving conditions. The crew sent all the packages.

I liked what Americord was doing. It's good to bank the baby’s cord blood. God knows what might be needed in the future, like a bone marrow transplant. Quite a lot of my friends are doing it. I also tried to recommend Americord to three or four friends of my colleagues who are having their babies. It might be good for one’s baby’s health in the future. This is a good facility.

Original review: March 7, 2018

The whole experience was stress free and super easy. They came to Americord was responsive and picked up the cord blood quickly! The whole kit was well labeled and easy to understand for both us and the doctor. Definitely recommend.

Original review: March 4, 2018

We used Americord to bank our baby's cord blood for the future, in case we ever needed it. Everything was great. They had a good price. Moreover, the process and the instructions were quite clear. They have met my expectations.

Original review: March 2, 2018

Banking my baby's cord blood is some kind of an insurance and peace of mind. A friend of mine had used Americord and he recommended it. And also, the prices were competitive and I got a referral kind of discount. Somebody came and picked up the samples, and the transaction was straightforward. They called to let me know that they were coming and then they just took it from me. They didn't explain anything about what they're going to do with it. Americord should follow up with people once everything is banked with them. There should be an update if the child's tissue is safe and secure, or if there's anything else that they're doing or needed. An annual or semi-annual update on what's happening might be good. Still, I would recommend Americord to my friends. Their price is lower and they seemed to be a well-run place compared to the others I saw.

Original review: March 1, 2018

Americord will hold the cord blood indefinitely for me and it was the best price for that length of time. This is one of those things where I will never know and I would rather not be in a situation where I know I could have and I did not get it. The hope is that the technology and science advance enough where Americord becomes useful. We are in an age where that is a real possibility. So, I'm excited about it. I just did my log-in username a week ago and it was nice because they reminded me that I had to access my account. It is a really expensive investment. But Americord is great and I feel good about my large investment into this cord blood thing.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

There are 90+ diseases that can be cured with stem cells now. And that’s something we wanted to make sure we could give to our daughter so we had her cord blood banked. I had seen online reviews for Americord and found them to be professional. And when I was reading, it seemed like their technology was able to harvest twice as much of the stem cells. So it looked like they were the better option. I reached out to them to inquire about pricing and I had a great customer service experience. They were able to give me a very aggressive price on the phone, followed by payment options and all fell into place.

Americord seemed like they were very legit, and they had everything I wanted. They were also able to harvest my wife's stem cells from the placenta, which was really impressive. So now both my wife and my daughter have stem cells, which nobody else that I've seen has that ability. It was the right decision. Plus, they were personable. Jazz, my sales rep, was phenomenal the entire time and very easy to get a hold of.

When we had our daughter, I was living in North West Arkansas for work, and they were able to have the courier out there about eight hours after she was born. She was born at 10 at night, and they picked the cord blood up and put it on a flight. They sent it straight to Boston where they removed everything. So, it's pretty interesting. Americord did a great job and everything seemed to work really well. Overall, the process itself was good, and should we ever need to use the stem cells, I’d have access to them very expeditiously.

Americord expert review by Sandra Gordon

Americord offers parents the ability to collect stem cells from the placenta and umbilical cord soon after the child's birth. These stem cells, obtained from cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue, can be used to help treat genetic diseases and other threats to the baby's life. Placenta tissue stem cells can also be used to benefit the mother.

• Personalized customer service: Americord provides 24-hour telephone support, meaning that you'll always have someone to reach out to.

• Lower prices: Americord offers a one-time payment plan or a 24-month plan to spread the cost of cord blood banking over two years to help individuals afford any treatment plans they need. There are no yearly storage fees.

• Proprietary technology: Americord's technology allows for up to two times as many stem cells compared to the traditional methods of cord blood extraction.

• Highest guarantee: Americord will pay up to $90,000 if your stem cell transplant fails to engraft. The company uses an AABB-accredited lab.

• Fast courier service: Cord blood extractions are delivered by the fastest medical courier in the United States.

• Best for: Parents who carry genetic diseases, children born from complicated births and children who may need organ regenerative therapies.

Profile picture of Sandra Gordon
Sandra Gordon

Parenting Products Contributing Editor

Specializing in health and medicine, Sandra Gordon has written extensively about cord blood banking for national and regional parenting magazines. She also has written about baby products, including breast pumps, for national and regional parenting magazines, blogs and books. Her work has appeared in hundreds of publications, including Parents, Prevention, Woman’s Day and Self. Gordon also appears on TV as a baby safety and money-saving expert. She is also the author of 10 books and the founder of babyproductsmom.com, a site dedicated to helping new parents gear up safely and within their budget.

Americord questions and answers

What problem is Americord trying to solve?
Americord is working to improve lives in ways that would not otherwise be possible. We focus on cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue banking innovations that provide more treatment options for newborns and their families.

For example, our proprietary Cord Blood 2.0™ technology preserves up to twice as many stem cells, making it possible to treat larger patients and expand treatment opportunities for smaller patients. This is crucial because traditional cord blood banking often collects only enough stem cells to treat a child under 65 pounds. Americord expands treatment options to patients weighing up to 165 pounds.
What sets Americord apart from the competition?
Americord offers the broadest and most technologically advanced product line in the industry. Our focus is on providing more treatment options for clients by combining innovative technology and white-glove care for superior value.

We are the only company that offers Cord Blood 2.0™ technology that collects up to twice as many stem cells as the industry average.  In addition, we are one of very few companies that offer expertise in three stem cell products - cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue. We are also one of only two companies that offer a collection kits approved by the FDA for c-sections.

We are committed to the highest levels of customer service, with 24/7 availability and white-glove care, including bedside pickup service by the medical courier. For mothers in early labor or last minute stem cell banking decisions, our AmericordRush™ program offers same-day delivery of the Americord Collection Kit at no extra cost.

We allow parents to decide what to bank right up until delivery, with our 3-in-1 Collection Kit for the collection of cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue. Expectant parents can reserve a kit and then return it free of charge as their plans change. There are with no cancellation fees, no annual storage fees and no withdrawal fees.
What needs does Americord fulfill, and how does Americord fulfill those needs better than your competition?
Americord’s mission is to provide the highest quality services, at the lowest possible cost, while supporting unique and innovative ways to improve the therapeutic utility of cord blood and tissue stem cells to improve patients’ lives. We invest in the future of stem cell banking so that families and their loved ones will have peace of mind. We actively explore innovative collection, transportation, processing and storage technologies to improve yields and viability to ensure the best possible results for our customers and the medical community.

We operate to the highest ethical standards in the industry and are committed to complete customer satisfaction. We thoroughly test every collection, and if the yield falls below the recommended minimum standards, we don’t charge parents who elect to forgo storage. In addition, we don’t offer incentives to the medical community to steer patients to Americord, preferring that patients make an unbiased assessment of the best stem cell bank for their needs.

We have the highest quality guarantee in the industry at $90,000, eliminate all hidden fees, and offer a risk-free cancellation policy.
How does Americord measure success?
Our clients entrust us with their most valuable medical assets, and we take this trust seriously. We measure success by customer satisfaction and regularly solicit feedback to ensure our products and services fully meet or exceed their expectations. We also benchmark our stem cell yields to ensure they deliver on our promise of achieving twice the industry average. In 2016, we recorded our highest cord blood collection volume and TNC count of 183 ml and two billion TNCs, respectively.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about cord blood banking?
Expectant parents often have questions about the types stem cells that can be collected and stored and the potential different stem cells hold for future medical treatments for their growing families.

A newborn’s umbilical cord contains two types of stem cells – hematopoietic stem cells (HSCs) and mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs). HSCs stem cells are programmed to become red and white blood cells. Medical science has found ways to use their natural abilities to treat over 80 disease of the blood like leukemia. MSCs, on the other hand, develop into muscle cells, bone cells, cartilage cells and fat cells. MSCs are considered essential to the future of regenerative medicine.
How has cord blood banking changed in the last 5 years?
Over the last five years, scientific breakthroughs in regenerative medicine and stem cells have raised awareness and interest in umbilical cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue banking. At the same time, expectant parents can be overwhelmed by an influx of cord blood banking companies with confusing claims, complicated offers and aggressive marketing tactics. As the industry evolves, it has never been more important for expectant parents to find a reliable source of unbiased information to ensure they make the most informed choice for their important medical assets.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about Americord?
Americord is rooted in a firm set of values. Our purpose is to improve lives and change the world. Our core values support our purpose and define how we manage and successfully grow our business.

• Customers: We strive to serve and provide value to our customers, faithfully and consistently. This commitment is foundational to our success.

• Employees: We encourage an ownership mentality, treat others with respect, provide opportunities for learning and growth and challenge to be their best selves.

• Integrity: We treat all we encounter fairly and with integrity.

• Innovation: We constantly improve strategy, products, operations, ourselves, sales talking points, marketing and financial performance, and our internal processes, with the aim of challenging ourselves to leave the organization better off tomorrow than it was yesterday.

• Learning: We instill a culture of learning and growth.

• Community: We engage with the local community, advancing important technologies and being generally charitable and helpful to others.

These values are more than just words, they inform everything we do.
Has Americord received any rewards or recognition for its products or services that your customers would like to know about?
Americord is AABB and FDA accredited and we have an FDA accredited collection bag. We have an A+ Better Business Bureau rating. Americord is also licensed in all states that require licensure for cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue banking.
How has your company grown?
Americord’s superior technology, focus on customer service and engrained set of values has made it the fastest growing cord blood bank in the United States. As a result, the company has been listed on the Inc. 5000 List of the fastest growing private companies in America for the past two years.

Americord Company Information