Call toll free
4.77/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Americord is a pioneer in the development of umbilical cord blood, cord tissue, and placenta tissue banking. They’ve developed Cord Blood 2.0, a ground-breaking process that collects up to twice as many stem cells compared to traditional cord blood collection. Americord provides the quality and highest standards you are looking for. They are FDA registered and do not charge yearly storage fees. Call Americord today to see what they can offer your family.

224 Americord Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Our experience with Americord is good. We looked at others but we thought Americord is best for us, so we have proceeded with them. Their reps answered my questions. We have stored our baby’s cord blood for future use for our baby. If we'll need any emergency help, we can use that. I feel good because before Americord collected our baby’s cord blood, they gave me a lot of instructions. So, they are doing good.

Get expert buying tips about Cord Blood Banking delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I liked the upfront price of Americord for the 20 years and not having to worry about making an annual payment. I banked my first child with them four years ago and this time, the experience was great. When I called since I had questions about getting in the online system, the rep was able to get me my discount for being a return client. She got me the kit quickly and answered any questions that I had. We called to say that the kit was ready and the courier told us that they would be there the next day. However, they came later that night which was interesting because we weren’t expecting them but that was fine. We banked our baby’s cord blood in case we might need it and I would recommend Americord.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Banking our baby's cord is an insurance policy that we can financially afford, and we thought of trying it just in case. I spoke to someone and it made sense to go with Americord. The cord specialists were very helpful and they made it easy. The courier who picked up the kit was fine, too.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Americord seemed to be the most popular option through our doctor and we went off the recommendation. We saw it as an insurance policy for the future. Our doctor warned us that a lot of it is science that isn’t quite here yet. It's potential science and it’s a chance we would be taking that may or may not come to fruition. But the potential benefit seemed to outweigh the cost for us and that was really why we ended up going to do it. But we had waited until the last minute to decide that we were actually gonna do it. It was two weeks before we went to the hospital and at that point, I was a little nervous because I had heard or read somewhere that we would need to go ahead and get paperwork and stuff done 8 to 10 weeks in advance.

But the experience was wonderful. Everything went very smoothly. We got the box the day after I purchased it online and that was great because I ended up being induced earlier than our due date. I was glad it was able to still be done. The courier was great too. He showed up not long after we had made the call and he did a great job. It seemed to work nicely. Americord has definitely met my expectations so far. It’s one of those things that's like an investment. You put the money in and don’t think about it until you have to use it. And as long as it’s working for me, I’m fine. We were pleased with the way everything went and I definitely had good things to say to friends of ours.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

We have decided to go with the cord blood because times are developing and we don't know what it can treat after 10 to 15 years. We have used Americord with our first one, so the second time, we have them for our second son. Working with their cord blood specialist was straightforward. Since we already experienced the first one, we already know what the procedure with the cord blood kit. Then during my second son's delivery, I called the number, and then they called after. Everything went smoothly for the most part.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Americord?

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I wanted to bank my baby’s cord blood and we did it with my older son. My husband has used the cord for his hips and we thought that if he ever does it again, we already have what we needed so we are definitely relieved. We did not know very much about it when we had it with our first bank and it was expensive for us. But I was impressed with Americord’s customer service which is big for me. Also, I liked the way they priced their plans and it made more sense.

When the courier picked up the kit, my mom took care all of it. However, there was a bit of miscommunication. When I had the consultation, they told me that the doctor had to sign but my doctor did not have to sign it and they would not take it. But when they were here the next time, they told me that it was okay if the doctor did not sign and as long as the everything was filled out, then they will get it shipped off. That aside, I have been recommending Americord and I have told another friend who is pregnant and she has been thinking about it.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

Banking our baby’s cord blood was something that I perceived in the future as being very valuable and there are lots of research. I hope not to use it, but maybe it doesn’t only need to be used for some dire circumstances. Maybe it could be used for other situations so it’s better to have it. Americord had cord blood as well as placenta and the storage. There was another company I was inquiring about but Americord beat them to the chase. They were very responsive, reliable and I really liked the customer service.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

The customer service at Americord was better when I researched. I immediately got a call back with all the information that I needed. The specialist very informative and told me everything I needed to know, including all the tips on how and what I could be using it for. When they sent me the kit, it was very self-explanatory. As soon as it was ready and I called to get it picked up, they called again to make sure that everything was okay. They called me after the driver had left and made sure that the driver picked it up. The courier driver was great as well. He was earlier than what I expected, which was good. He told me where to find the code and what I needed for the paperwork for him to take it. I hope that if I ever need it, I get the same customer service and I don’t have to go through a whole bunch of stuff.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I didn't save my baby's cord blood the first time and I want to do that for my second kid. I checked into Google and the first establishment that I got was Americord. Everything is good. I got the certificate and everything. The carrier who picked up the kit also came on time.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Banking my baby's cord blood is like an insurance. I’ve also known other families that have had illnesses related to needing a bone marrow transplant. I’d feel guilty if I’d pass doing something so simple. And just a few thousand dollars is a drop in the bucket when it comes to having an opportunity to cure a disease. I also like that it included the 20 years of storage in its price. Their specialists knew what they were doing and were professional, efficient, and educated. Everything was good and Americord has exceeded my expectations.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

We have really good technology now, but in the future, we may have better technology to work with cells. I decided that banking our baby's cord blood was a good idea. I did some research and read that Americord had longer periods they would be able to keep the blood. The courier who came to the hospital picked up the kit and I didn’t have to worry about anything. I received a call some time ago and I was that I can get all the papers online, but I wish to receive all the papers by mail, that I could physically store. It’d be better for me. All in all, Americord met my expectations and I would recommend them. If there’s a treatment that becomes available in the future, then changing cells is a good option to have.

Americord response

This is Martin, CEO of Americord. I want to congratulate you and your entire family on your beautiful new addition.

I am delighted to hear of your experience and that it met your expectations. We certainly work diligently to be sure that our clients are pleased with the service.

Regarding your feedback on receiving paperwork through the mail, we find that at times mail can be delayed or get misplaced, which is why we have created a client portal where all essential documents kept for each client, and it allows for our client to print documents at any time.

However, if our client's request to have a document mail, we are pleased to send it through the mail. I have requested that our one of customer service team member contact you to inquire if you would still like us to send you a copy of your documents through the mail.

We thank you for your kind feedback!

Sincerely,

Martin

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

We banked our baby’s cord blood for precaution. We wanted to cover our bases and know that it could potentially help a sibling or ourselves at some point. It was a smart idea and an insurance in a way. The prices and the amount of storage at Americord was appropriate. Everybody was very pleasant, friendly and professional, and they answered our questions. They also followed up and called us to see if we had any extra questions. The carrier was friendly although he did not quite know what he was doing. He had a call and asked about what he needed to do when he got there. Nevertheless, Americord provided what they said they would.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I wanted to have my baby's cord blood in case something happened that we needed it and I'm glad that I did it. I got a call from Americord one night when I was getting induced. Then, Americord rushed the package to the hospital overnight and made it in the nick of time. It was a last-minute thing and I was impressed that they got there so quickly. My mom met the courier at the lobby and got the package. She said they were really nice.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

We were making research on cord blood and we came to know that it was useful in case of an emergency. We thought of doing it for our baby before but we didn’t have that much information at that time. We liked the price Americord had. Their people were really good and interactive. They explained to me everything on how you store and how the process will be done. It was a good experience. When I came in, their kit carrier was sitting there. I asked him for a receipt and he said he didn't have it, so I took a picture of the receipt method. He then took off. Americord has met my expectation right now.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

My husband researched and chose that Americord will be better. It’s safe and I can recommend Americord to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

My kid is seven weeks old and so far using Americord has met my expectations. Their customer service has been some of the best I’ve dealt with. The reps were professional, very knowledgeable and responsive, and they follow up consistently. I wanted the insurance policy for my kiddo in the event there are any medical issues that come down the line and so far, everything is going well.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I decided to go with Americord because it's private-owned versus other insurance-owned type of facilities. Their cord blood specialist was good and the carrier who picked up the kit showed up on time. It was a good experience overall and I'll recommend Americord to friends.

Americord response

Dear Chenghui,

This is Martin, CEO of Americord. I would first like to say congratulations to you and your entire family on your beautiful new addition. I would also like to thank you for your great review. We work extremely hard to ensure that we provide excellent service to our clients, so it is wonderful to hear that you have had a positive experience.

Thank you again for your kind review and for recommending our services.

Sincerely,

Martin

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

My sister used Americord two years ago and we really liked the process. It's always good to have a backup if there are any issues. Their cord blood specialist was great. They keep in contact in getting updates and it's been really nice. They have been on top of it and even the pickup was even earlier than they would be. It was very effortless on our part.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

A cousin of mine referred me to Americord. I read online about its benefits and then chose it. My experience in dealing with their cord blood specialist was good but I sent Americord an email some time ago because the name of my child was misprinted. I was told that I would be called in a day but I never received any call regarding that nor received any reply to my email. But, other than that, I’m satisfied and I would refer Americord to a friend.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

We banked my baby's cord blood for health reasons and Americord explained everything well. Their reviews and their price, which was one of the cheapest, made me go with them. The specialist I dealt with was helpful and very available. Americord made the complex thing easier. It was great.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I like that Americord does not charge before the stem cells are collected. I also compared with a couple of other companies and I thought Americord is better. They are cost-efficient. My experience with the cord blood specialist was also very clear and concise. The answers were very much relevant to my questions and they cleared all my doubts. It was excellent. On the other hand, people in the hospital and even the doctor who delivered my baby did not know about Americord. He was surprised to know the name and about the collection kit that we had. So Americord should do some advertisement or promotions to make themselves familiar. That aside, the courier was prompt and overall, I'm very much happy with the experience. I hope the cord blood won't be used but it's there in case my son needs it in the future.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I work in healthcare and I know the benefits of stem cells. Also, one of my best friends from my school passed away from leukemia because she needed a bone marrow transplant and she couldn't find a match. So I did a lot of research going to stem cells. If she would have had her blood banked when we were little, then she may not have been in that situation. The woman we dealt with at Americord communicated well and I liked the fact that we could pay all upfront and not pay an annual fee. I delivered early in the morning and my husband called for the kit to be picked up. Then the hospital front desk called us and told us that the courier was there to pick it up so my husband took it out. The only thing Americord can improve improve on is the communication after the retrieval and the processing of the blood.

Clients are spending a lot of money and then Americord would just come and send you an email that they processed it and they charged your card. They do not communicate what the volume was and how many stem cells they were able to get. I know you can go on the website and find that. But in a busy time after having a baby, it would be nice for them to communicate that and give you an idea if that's a good amount or if it is on the low end but is still a match should you ever need to use it. But overall, it was a good experience and I was happy with it. Americord has met my expectations and it's nice that we have the cord blood there should we need it.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

We did some research and understood the possible uses for the cord blood. We also understand the complications that can occur and it’s like life insurance for your child. It’s something that can save them or help them in the future if they need to use it. I used Americord for my first child two years ago. Jerry was my specialist this time around, and he provided me all the information I needed. If there were some follow-up calls with me, and if my phone hung up on him, he called me back, so I appreciate his help. We expected the courier who would pick up the kit to arrive the next day or later on that day, but they arrived quickly. We got the placenta this time around and we understand there are still some trials going on with those items, but I refer Americord to my friends and family all the time.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

Everything is going well with Americord. They had good reviews and they were able to answer all my questions and provide good service. It met my expectation. I'm hoping to use my baby's blood for my oldest son who is autistic. There is some research that goes to that area.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

We have some history of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in the family, and there is research that shows that stem cells can be used to treat some forms of cancer.

Banking my baby's cord blood is kind of an insurance policy. I went with Americord for the amount of stem cells that they are able to collect and their payment structure. The cord blood specialists were prompt in providing feedback via questions, and they were very thorough with their follow up. Everything from the collections and the processing went as expected. So far, we feel happy with the services we have received.

As far as researching other companies, Americord seems to have some of the advanced technology when it comes to the collection of the stem cells so they are able to collect more which is a benefit if that is what you are ultimately paying to do and you are extremely easy to work with. They have made the process pretty simple. I also had to call the hospital with questions and they were able to get all the information they needed. So, in general, they are an easy company to work with.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

We had gone with Americord the first time with our son, so we stuck with the same company. This time around, our experience with the cord blood specialist was fine. But it was a very salesy experience, which created a lot of doubt for us about whether banking our baby’s cord blood was something that we should be doing or not. The whole cord blood industry breeds on the fear of parents and our decision to bank our baby’s cord blood was definitely fear-based. So, we don’t love the experience and it was something that we felt compelled to do. Other than that, Americord was fairly responsive and quick, and my husband took care of the courier that picked up the kit.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Family-wise, we have a lot of history of cancers and autoimmune stuff. That was why I thought cord blood banking would be a good idea. We did it with my first daughter and my doctor had recommended Americord. They were very helpful when I was trying to decide between the different programs. Then for the pickup, we were in and out really quickly. Everything's been good so far.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I like Americord's policies and the facilities that the cord blood was banked in. They have a good price and it was also very easy dealing with the representative. The one we worked with was very knowledgeable, professional, quick and to the point. For the pickup of the kit, my husband called and they always came in a timely manner. The first one was in the middle of the night. Then the second one came in the day and he was professional. He made a joke and was in and out. He did a good job.

Cord blood banking is like travel insurance. I hope I never have to use it but I feel like our cord blood is in good hands. It was also a gift from my mother-in-law and we felt like it was some peace of mind if something down the road would happen. Also with technology, you'll never know what the advancements with science are going to be. So if we could help ourselves, our family or even others in the future, we thought it was worth that investment.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

We did research on stem cell and tissue and we thought banking the baby’s cord blood was a good idea. I went with Americord because I liked what I read and saw about them. They seemed interested, concerned, and they answered all my questions. All the service and attention I was given were satisfactory. I have no complaints. I had a very good experience with the cord blood specialist and customer service too. The specialist I dealt with was very nice and followed up with me in the evening and reassured me and made sure that everything was understood. The courier was also very assuring and thorough. It was a very comfortable experience.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

We have a family history of certain diseases that the cord blood can help with. And we originally decided to do cord blood banking because my cousin had done it with his baby back in Europe. So I didn’t even really know much about it here in the States. But the person I talked to at Americord was knowledgeable and helpful. He guided me through what the most common questions are. Plus he explained to me even the questions that I didn’t know that I should be asking. Americord also had those little cost comparison charts on their website so it looked good.

Also, the people there weren’t too pushy, which I liked. Whenever I talked to them, it was always informative but they were not insisting on anything. They have a bunch of packages and although the representative told me what they have, he also said that I was not obligated to take any of it. In fact, I signed up for one thing and then we ended up just banking the cord blood. And it was fine. I liked that I could just change my mind whenever I wanted to. The experience with the courier was very brief. She showed up, picked it up and then said thank you and good bye. I had a good experience with Americord overall and I can recommend them.

Americord expert review by Sandra Gordon

Americord offers parents the ability to collect stem cells from the placenta and umbilical cord soon after the child's birth. These stem cells, obtained from cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue, can be used to help treat genetic diseases and other threats to the baby's life. Placenta tissue stem cells can also be used to benefit the mother.

• Personalized customer service: Americord provides 24-hour telephone support, meaning that you'll always have someone to reach out to.

• Lower prices: Americord offers a one-time payment plan or a 24-month plan to spread the cost of cord blood banking over two years to help individuals afford any treatment plans they need. There are no yearly storage fees.

• Proprietary technology: Americord's technology allows for up to two times as many stem cells compared to the traditional methods of cord blood extraction.

• Highest guarantee: Americord will pay up to $90,000 if your stem cell transplant fails to engraft. The company uses an AABB-accredited lab.

• Fast courier service: Cord blood extractions are delivered by the fastest medical courier in the United States.

• Best for: Parents who carry genetic diseases, children born from complicated births and children who may need organ regenerative therapies.

Profile picture of Sandra Gordon
Sandra Gordon Parenting Products Contributing Editor

Specializing in health and medicine, Sandra Gordon has written extensively about cord blood banking for national and regional parenting magazines. She also has written about baby products, including breast pumps, for national and regional parenting magazines, blogs and books. Her work has appeared in hundreds of publications, including Parents, Prevention, Woman’s Day and Self. Gordon also appears on TV as a baby safety and money-saving expert. She is also the author of 10 books and the founder of babyproductsmom.com, a site dedicated to helping new parents gear up safely and within their budget.

Americord questions and answers

What problem is Americord trying to solve?
Americord is working to improve lives in ways that would not otherwise be possible. We focus on cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue banking innovations that provide more treatment options for newborns and their families.

For example, our proprietary Cord Blood 2.0™ technology preserves up to twice as many stem cells, making it possible to treat larger patients and expand treatment opportunities for smaller patients. This is crucial because traditional cord blood banking often collects only enough stem cells to treat a child under 65 pounds. Americord expands treatment options to patients weighing up to 165 pounds.
What sets Americord apart from the competition?
Americord offers the broadest and most technologically advanced product line in the industry. Our focus is on providing more treatment options for clients by combining innovative technology and white-glove care for superior value.

We are the only company that offers Cord Blood 2.0™ technology that collects up to twice as many stem cells as the industry average.  In addition, we are one of very few companies that offer expertise in three stem cell products - cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue. We are also one of only two companies that offer a collection kits approved by the FDA for c-sections.

We are committed to the highest levels of customer service, with 24/7 availability and white-glove care, including bedside pickup service by the medical courier. For mothers in early labor or last minute stem cell banking decisions, our AmericordRush™ program offers same-day delivery of the Americord Collection Kit at no extra cost.

We allow parents to decide what to bank right up until delivery, with our 3-in-1 Collection Kit for the collection of cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue. Expectant parents can reserve a kit and then return it free of charge as their plans change. There are with no cancellation fees, no annual storage fees and no withdrawal fees.
What needs does Americord fulfill, and how does Americord fulfill those needs better than your competition?
Americord’s mission is to provide the highest quality services, at the lowest possible cost, while supporting unique and innovative ways to improve the therapeutic utility of cord blood and tissue stem cells to improve patients’ lives. We invest in the future of stem cell banking so that families and their loved ones will have peace of mind. We actively explore innovative collection, transportation, processing and storage technologies to improve yields and viability to ensure the best possible results for our customers and the medical community.

We operate to the highest ethical standards in the industry and are committed to complete customer satisfaction. We thoroughly test every collection, and if the yield falls below the recommended minimum standards, we don’t charge parents who elect to forgo storage. In addition, we don’t offer incentives to the medical community to steer patients to Americord, preferring that patients make an unbiased assessment of the best stem cell bank for their needs.

We have the highest quality guarantee in the industry at $90,000, eliminate all hidden fees, and offer a risk-free cancellation policy.
How does Americord measure success?
Our clients entrust us with their most valuable medical assets, and we take this trust seriously. We measure success by customer satisfaction and regularly solicit feedback to ensure our products and services fully meet or exceed their expectations. We also benchmark our stem cell yields to ensure they deliver on our promise of achieving twice the industry average. In 2016, we recorded our highest cord blood collection volume and TNC count of 183 ml and two billion TNCs, respectively.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about cord blood banking?
Expectant parents often have questions about the types stem cells that can be collected and stored and the potential different stem cells hold for future medical treatments for their growing families.

A newborn’s umbilical cord contains two types of stem cells – hematopoietic stem cells (HSCs) and mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs). HSCs stem cells are programmed to become red and white blood cells. Medical science has found ways to use their natural abilities to treat over 80 disease of the blood like leukemia. MSCs, on the other hand, develop into muscle cells, bone cells, cartilage cells and fat cells. MSCs are considered essential to the future of regenerative medicine.
How has cord blood banking changed in the last 5 years?
Over the last five years, scientific breakthroughs in regenerative medicine and stem cells have raised awareness and interest in umbilical cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue banking. At the same time, expectant parents can be overwhelmed by an influx of cord blood banking companies with confusing claims, complicated offers and aggressive marketing tactics. As the industry evolves, it has never been more important for expectant parents to find a reliable source of unbiased information to ensure they make the most informed choice for their important medical assets.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about Americord?
Americord is rooted in a firm set of values. Our purpose is to improve lives and change the world. Our core values support our purpose and define how we manage and successfully grow our business.

• Customers: We strive to serve and provide value to our customers, faithfully and consistently. This commitment is foundational to our success.

• Employees: We encourage an ownership mentality, treat others with respect, provide opportunities for learning and growth and challenge to be their best selves.

• Integrity: We treat all we encounter fairly and with integrity.

• Innovation: We constantly improve strategy, products, operations, ourselves, sales talking points, marketing and financial performance, and our internal processes, with the aim of challenging ourselves to leave the organization better off tomorrow than it was yesterday.

• Learning: We instill a culture of learning and growth.

• Community: We engage with the local community, advancing important technologies and being generally charitable and helpful to others.

These values are more than just words, they inform everything we do.
Has Americord received any rewards or recognition for its products or services that your customers would like to know about?
Americord is AABB and FDA accredited and we have an FDA accredited collection bag. We have an A+ Better Business Bureau rating. Americord is also licensed in all states that require licensure for cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue banking.
How has your company grown?
Americord’s superior technology, focus on customer service and engrained set of values has made it the fastest growing cord blood bank in the United States. As a result, the company has been listed on the Inc. 5000 List of the fastest growing private companies in America for the past two years.

Americord Company Information