Call Now Toll Free
Get Pricing
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.68/5

Americord is a private company that stores customers' umbilical cord blood, cord tissue and placental tissue. Customers can have their stem cells collected, processed and stored with Americord and use them for future medical or therapeutic use. Its processes allow the company to preserve up to twice the amount of stem cells than some competitors.

BOTTOM LINE

With $110,000 in insurance coverage and no extra fees, Americord is a reputable and affordable option. While it's still expensive and its customization options are limited, its services are straightforward and simple.

PROS
  • Simple and straightforward
  • FDA-approved
  • Innovative procedures
  • $110,000 insurance
CONS
  • Little flexibility
  • Pricey

Top Americord Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Americord?

We thought it might be a good idea to save our baby’s blood cord in case we need it and my husband chose Americord. He was looking for the detail and they had a good review. The price point is good too. The experience was simple and normal and everyone followed the procedure…

One of my friends had a very good experience with Americord and referred me to it. My husband and I had a talk with the reps and they were good in answering our questions. It was very nice and the experience with the specialist was awesome.

Americord Call Now Toll Free (917) 338-6773 Get Pricing
Call Now Toll Free

What is Americord?

Americord stores umbilical cord blood, cord tissue and placental tissue for customers. Stem cells from these sources can be collected during birth to be stored and used for medical treatments. Americord helps families save these stem cells and securely store them in case they need them in the future to treat blood cancers or other medical conditions.

The cord blood storage process starts before you have a baby. After signing up, Americord sends the kit to bring to the hospital for delivery. If your baby comes sooner than expected, Americord can overnight the kits for free. During delivery, a doctor or midwife draws the cord blood, cord tissue or placenta tissue into the sterile bag.

Americord dispatches a white-glove medical courier to the hospital to pick up the materials and deliver them to the blood bank to be processed, tested and stored. At any time, customers can choose to withdraw their stem cells for use.

Americord price

Customers typically store their stem cells for 20 years with Americord, which costs $3,499 upfront. This is the price for only one type of product: cord blood tissue, cord blood or placenta tissue. This cost also includes $110,000 worth of insurance in case of any issues.

With this option, Americord does not charge annual storage fees, and there are no cancellation fees associated with its services. Customers can also choose to pay an upfront cost of $1,499 with annual storage fees of $150. This brings the total 20-year cost to about $4,500.

Americord FAQ

How much does Americord cost?
It costs $3,499 for 20-years of cord blood banking with Americord if you choose to pay upfront. You can also pay a $1,499 upfront cost with $150 annual storage fees.
Does Americord charge any processing or withdrawal fees?
No. Americord does not charge cancellation fees, annual storage fees or withdrawal fees.
Is Americord good?
Americord has an excellent track record for safe and reliable storage services. Its prices are also more affordable than some of the other options available.

Is Americord cord blood banking worth it?

For many families, the answer is a resounding yes. The truth is, it’s impossible to know if you’ll need to use the stem cells you store with Americord. If the upfront cost won’t break the bank, many people agree that storing stem cell tissue with Americord is worth it. Plus, the company's costs are more affordable than some other options. With no cancellation, storage or withdrawal fees, it’s a hassle-free way to invest in your child’s future health.

Americord Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Americord?

Original review: Oct. 25, 2020

I’m a hematologist and I do some stem cell research myself. Even though there really isn’t a lot of use for these stem cells now, I’m very optimistic that there might be in the next several decades. This was a once in a lifetime opportunity to bank these stem cells so I decided to do it. We did the cord blood banking and we also did the cord tissue. Americord had the soonest availability. I called a day or two before I was due and they were able to set things up for me and they sent me the kit that was needed to bring to the hospital with me on my delivery day.

Everything went smoothly except for the pickup time. I had my kit the night I was in labor, which was a Saturday, and they said that they didn’t do pickups over the weekend, but everything was stable. They said that they were gonna come pick it up on Monday at noon and nobody came. We had to call a couple of times. And I was concerned that if they didn't pick up on time, everything could be wasted. But at the last moment, they were able to pull things together. Then, they processed the sample and they called me with an update as to how many cells they were able to enrich and how many were stored. It’s quite a bit of money but they had a payment plan for me, which was fairly convenient. I didn’t have to pay the entire amount as one and I'm making an installment, which is fairly reasonable. It's worth it.

Get buying tips about Cord Blood Banking delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

I used Americord when I gave birth to my last kid and. I have two older ones. I did not do any cord blood banking with them because they're seven and five, and at that time, I wasn't really familiar with cord blood banking. My best friend's daughter died. She had sickle cell, and we did talk about the fact that if she had cord blood banking, she may have been able to do something for her. Once I found out I was pregnant, I said, “Well, that’s something I would have and make sure my daughter had in case she ever get sick or even her brothers,” because from my research, her brothers can use the cord blood as well, and even me and my husband. Cancer runs in my family and my husband's family.

Americord had good reviews online, and I also had spoken to someone who had used them. The customer service was really great. I've had two or three follow-up calls since I started banking with them in July. The initial person I spoke with when I called to ask questions and find out more about the program was very helpful. She was very polite and very knowledgeable. I liked that she had answers to all my questions and wasn't deflecting. I also liked the fact that I've had two or three follow-ups. I feel like if I had questions, it would be easy to get a response from them. I feel comfortable using Americord. There are no red flags and there's nothing that has been unpleasant, so far, as far as what I'm getting and the service.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2020

I decided to bank my baby's cord blood because my first child has special needs. He was born with a cyst inside his head on his left temporal lobe. We weren't aware until he was three years old. Not only that, childhood cancer is very prevalent now. We had done a lot of research on stem cell therapy and we thought it would be smart to do that for our other kids because at some point you can use placental cells for stem cell therapy for people with rheumatoid arthritis. We thought it would be beneficial for our oldest, if anything did ever become legalized in the state, which we could do in other places. Stem cell therapy is legal in Panama and other different countries.

I chose Americord because they allow me to take it out whenever I want and to use as much as I want. I don't have to use the whole placenta. I'm also able to store the cord blood and the cord tissue which I wasn't able to do with the other banks. The rep was very informative and nice. I liked how he told me everything because that made it easy for me to decide who I was gonna go with. I knew how much more Americord had to offer than other banks.

I haven't had any real issues besides when I did get the box, it was a little hard. I wish I would have known a little more what it entails before I got the box, like what I'm gonna get in the box and what I need to tell my provider. We didn't really know what to do after we had the baby. We opened the box and it was kinda like, “What do we do?” There were instructions but at the same time I felt we should've known that we were able to hold and not cut the cord immediately. I would have liked to have known that.

There was one other thing which was my blood. I was supposed to have my blood taken before I ever went into labor. That would have been nice. It was just those two things that we were unsure of and we had to call to make sure we were doing everything correctly but everything was pretty easy. If you're planning on having a family and growing your family, Americord is something to invest in because it's not just for your kids, it's for you or your spouse or a close family member that might get sick and might need it. It's a great decision for your family.

Original review: July 24, 2020

I read somewhere that Americord tries to get more than the standard amount of cells versus the rest of the individuals. Also, there was some kind of discount that came with it. I've had past experiences that made me realize that banking the cord blood was something that I needed to do and good to have. It was just more of chances of if I'll never use or need it until life threw us a curveball. My first child who is 20 now had two bouts of cancer. Then we lost a daughter. The doctors asked me if I had blood and it hurt me to the core that I didn't get Americord but I was thinking about it and I didn't do it. So with this child, I decided to do it. At least, if life throws us another curveball, we'll have that to help us.

My cord blood specialist, Paula, was awesome. She answered all of my questions and if I had doubts, she cleared that out of the way. She gave me a phone number. It’s like we were friends from the first time we started talking so that made me feel comfortable and made me feel like I was not making a mistake or I was not just throwing money away. Typically I would do them online and not follow up days after and sometimes even forget about it. But the mere fact that she called back immediately and put me at ease helped made the decision more concrete for me because I opened up to her a lot and she helped me make that final decision. Then the nurse was the one who brought the kit and that kit was a little bit tricky. I didn't realize that there was a tape in there that would seal the package. The nurse figured it out and it was sealed before the courier picked it up.

I know that Americord is taking care of my baby's cord blood and it's available for me in case I need it. I haven't used it yet and I hope and knock on wood that I wouldn't have to. I get a call from them or another representative every month, and I also get an email telling me that my payment has gone through, and that keeps me abreast and makes me remember that I have it with everything else that's going on.

Original review: May 16, 2020

Our friend's son had got cancer, and they had done a cord blood stash, and it kind of pretty much saved their son's life. Without having stem cells, he would not have made it. So, we thought we would plan on worst-case scenario and hope we never have to use it. I found Americord through just a Google search and I kind of researched other people's feedback on it. We thought pricing was fair compared to other vendors that offer similar stuff. So, I was kind of riding with the marketline, but the history and longevity of the company was a big factor for me. I was kind of afraid. There are some companies that have only been in business like 10 years and what if they go out of business. I even asked the gentleman I spoke to about that and he's like, "Well, everything wouldn't go up. We got a business. You have the option to move your samples elsewhere."

The gentleman that I mainly spoke with was super nice. He explained how the storage works, the legal requirements, and how to obtain it if we need it. He went through step-by-step and then they sent me the kit. And when we were delivering, the nurses and doctors put the stuff in there and shipped it and then we called for pickup. It was pretty simple.

The only thing was on the website itself. The payment options were kind of confusing when you do it online, whether you get a discount if you pay it upfront or the charge increase. It wasn't quite clear of what the charges were and benefits of different payment options online. But when I spoke to the gentleman, it was way more clear.

Original review: April 10, 2021

We had a couple of cousins who had a baby last year and they chose Americord as well. We liked the price.

Original review: March 16, 2021

Cynthia, the Americord rep whom I worked with gave me all my options. She was wonderful and spent a lot of time going over numbers with me. The service is very valuable and it's nice to know that it's there. Everything is pretty seamless with the service.

Original review: March 11, 2021

We were researching cord blood. That's something we want to do with our first child. You don't know what hospital bills are coming in and you want to make sure that you have that liquid just in case. We looked at a few different companies and we didn't get very good customer service with some of them. Americord offered three different ways to store, that was different than some of the others, so we ended up going with them. We got a “Black Friday” deal because we ordered in November. They also offered us a really good payment plan because not everybody had $8,000 to just drop. We paid it off early after two and a half months.

I love that Americord was willing to talk to both my husband and me. They sent a rep straight to our hospital door to pick up the samples and I loved that they called us once they got it in the lab and they analyzed them. They told us the quality of it and everything they got from all the samples. It was fantastic. They got the best out of everything for all of us. Everything was fast and easy. In the first 48 hours when you're on zero sleep, especially after 21 hours of labor, the last thing you want to do is try to figure this out. So they were amazing. If I have a friend who's looking at cord blood, I'm definitely going to recommend them. I'm going to send them to my sales guy, Michael. He was phenomenal.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

Even with our second time using Americord, they were very reasonable and fair in pricing. They knew we used them before. Everything was straightforward with the rep and it was painless with the one who picked up the kit. It was smooth.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

I had a better price with Americord compared to the other companies. But when the reps were scheduled to come to the hospital to pick up the tissues, they couldn't find us in the system. My husband got on the phone with them right as I was trying to give birth. They were eventually able to locate me us in the system, but it took forever. My husband was on the phone for 20 minutes. They should make that situation about calling me up to locate us in the system faster.

Americord Company Information