Call toll free
4.79/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Americord is a pioneer in the development of umbilical cord blood, cord tissue, and placenta tissue banking. They’ve developed Cord Blood 2.0, a ground-breaking process that collects up to twice as many stem cells compared to traditional cord blood collection. Americord provides the quality and highest standards you are looking for. They are FDA registered and do not charge yearly storage fees. Call Americord today to see what they can offer your family.

284 Americord Consumer Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: June 30, 2019

I’ve read through some of the benefits of cord blood banking. My husband and I had a trait of a blood disorder, so we tried to do it. We didn’t do it with our first child as we kind of forgot but as we planned for our second child, it was something that we wanted to look into and take advantage of because we never know what may happen in the future.

A week or two before my scheduled c-section, I decided to contact Americord. A friend of mine referred them and my experience with them was pretty seamless. I called them one day and by the next day, they already overnighted me the kit and called to walk me through how to use it. Their customer service was excellent. The pickup was also easy and right after they collected it, they gave it back to us. When we got to our room and got settled, we called in for the courier and he was there within an hour or so. He was very respectful. He knocked on the door, stated who he was, and stayed behind the curtain that was like a little partition. Then my husband went and gave him the kit.

Overall, Americord's service was excellent. I wasn’t even sure how it was gonna work and how it would happen. But they called me and walked me through things. It’s been about two months now and I’ve got about six follow-up calls to make sure that I was okay and checking on the baby. I just like what they’re doing, so I greatly appreciate that.

Get expert buying tips about Cord Blood Banking delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I've used Americord before for my twins. They did a pretty good job. A lot of it was to do the with the storage fee. Storage fee is included versus other companies, you pay a lifetime yearly storage fee. With my most recent experience I called and emailed their customer service, and then they put me in touch with a rep. And the representative was in New York. She called and listed the options available, including the cost. She said she could give a discount if we decided to pay upfront, meaning the whole fee versus a payment plan. We emailed back and forth. She wasn't too pushy, but she called me about once every 10 days to check in if I need any more information and if I have made a decision between placenta cord blood and umbilical cord, because I can do combinations.

It was very plainly laid out what the cost options were. And then I decided on going with cord blood and umbilical cord tissue after I talked to my doctor about it. They sent me the kit and it didn't cost me anything. I just held on to it. They did take a deposit, but the deposit was refundable if I went to a delivery, and they couldn't harvest anything. She also said that if they made a mistake, like if their courier couldn't get the blood to the bank in time, and there was no cells, then it was also refundable. So I didn't really see a lot of risks.

I gave her my credit card for the deposit, and that was also gonna be used for the payment as well. They ran the deposit and it was $230. I gave birth. They harvested the blood on the kit, then they called the number on it. When we called the number, they put me in touch with the courier service. But then, they had trouble looking up both twins' information. A few days before my scheduled C-section, I filled out everything online, registering my child and they also had trouble looking that information up to match it and trying to figure out Twin A versus Twin B. But that all got worked out. It just took a couple of hours over the phone. I just told them what the issues were, and they figured it out behind the scenes.

The courier, which was an independent contractor came. He took the samples and drove it straight to LAX. He gave me a receipt of taking it. And then 10 days later, I got an email saying that there were viable cells, and that they would be charging my card the full amount, which was like 10,700. After I paid, they gave me an official certificate of storage for the amount of cells in the blood. They did a pretty good job. Except maybe having the courier's information might be good because I didn't know he was coming. But they did the follow-up phone calls, which was great, to see how everything went in the experience.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Americord seemed to be the most popular option through our doctor and we went off the recommendation. We saw it as an insurance policy for the future. Our doctor warned us that a lot of it is science that isn’t quite here yet. It's potential science and it’s a chance we would be taking that may or may not come to fruition. But the potential benefit seemed to outweigh the cost for us and that was really why we ended up going to do it. But we had waited until the last minute to decide that we were actually gonna do it. It was two weeks before we went to the hospital and at that point, I was a little nervous because I had heard or read somewhere that we would need to go ahead and get paperwork and stuff done 8 to 10 weeks in advance.

But the experience was wonderful. Everything went very smoothly. We got the box the day after I purchased it online and that was great because I ended up being induced earlier than our due date. I was glad it was able to still be done. The courier was great too. He showed up not long after we had made the call and he did a great job. It seemed to work nicely. Americord has definitely met my expectations so far. It’s one of those things that's like an investment. You put the money in and don’t think about it until you have to use it. And as long as it’s working for me, I’m fine. We were pleased with the way everything went and I definitely had good things to say to friends of ours.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I work in healthcare and I know the benefits of stem cells. Also, one of my best friends from my school passed away from leukemia because she needed a bone marrow transplant and she couldn't find a match. So I did a lot of research going to stem cells. If she would have had her blood banked when we were little, then she may not have been in that situation. The woman we dealt with at Americord communicated well and I liked the fact that we could pay all upfront and not pay an annual fee. I delivered early in the morning and my husband called for the kit to be picked up. Then the hospital front desk called us and told us that the courier was there to pick it up so my husband took it out. The only thing Americord can improve improve on is the communication after the retrieval and the processing of the blood.

Clients are spending a lot of money and then Americord would just come and send you an email that they processed it and they charged your card. They do not communicate what the volume was and how many stem cells they were able to get. I know you can go on the website and find that. But in a busy time after having a baby, it would be nice for them to communicate that and give you an idea if that's a good amount or if it is on the low end but is still a match should you ever need to use it. But overall, it was a good experience and I was happy with it. Americord has met my expectations and it's nice that we have the cord blood there should we need it.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

My husband did the research and he was looking at Americord and another company when I went into premature labor. My husband called them since it was the one that he remembered. They immediately had someone come to the hospital with the box. We’re in Chicago which is a big city so that helped. People in smaller places probably don’t have that type of access. My son was born six and a half weeks early so it was a hasty emergency situation.

When I got pregnant with my daughter, we decided to do it again. We contacted them and they gave us a very nice discount for being second time users. We had the kids’ stuff at the same place since all those banks have the same collection process and do the exact same thing. Americord’s prices have gone up drastically since 2016 since we only paid 3,000 for my son and 5,000 for my daughter. The box came, they called us, sent us directions and asked if we had questions.They had a crew come immediately after my daughter was born. The website is user-friendly and they’ve done a lot with it. It shows you exactly what you banked. I need to call them about getting an updated list for my son because if you were an older client, they don’t have the same information about what is in the bank, as the new clients do. So far, everything has been great.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Americord?

Original review: July 13, 2019

I have chosen Americord as the blood bank company for my baby after long hrs of research and discussing with my friends, once the baby is born, the blood collection kit is filled with all required blood drawings from mom and cord and the medical transportation person came to hospital and took the kit, first thing they won't even give any acknowledgment that they have received it from you. Secondly, they had a flight delay in transporting it to their lab in New York due to bad weather and further said that they have tried to get it with the next flight available, but that didn't work as expected and when it reach finally the viability of using the blood samples failed and it is no longer useful for my kid.

I am shattered because of this such an irresponsible people in this medical profession, once in a birth time opportunity is gone now and my baby's future health is at risk. Parents out there, please avoid this company. They are not fit to run this business... I would like to give a "0" rating, but I do not have an option. Hence giving 1 star, they don't deserve any stars.

Original review: July 9, 2019

A friend recommended Americord to me and I had a great experience with them. I felt like I was definitely taken care of in terms of being followed up with and instructed on. I liked the ease of their kit and they also sent me a letter in the mail which was definitely a customer delight.

Original review: July 8, 2019

I researched online and Americord seemed reliable. The options, the process and everything was simple, too. So, I went with them. They really care and my experience has been very good. They answer all the questions that I have and with the support. So, I'm really happy with that.

Original review: July 4, 2019

My husband got in touch with a representative from Americord and he had a better experience with their customer service. Americord was more willing to work around the pricing for us. They gave us so many different options, and they were willing to match different pricing for us. When I went into labor, we got our kit right away and sent it to the hospital, which was really great. I was worried I wasn’t gonna be able to collect anything, but it was beyond what I expected. I got a call from Americord a little bit after the birth of my baby, and I had a really great interaction with the rep.

Original review: July 3, 2019

I’ve looked through a few banks and Americord had good pricing. They also had good customer service when I called for information. So, I went with them and my experience has been excellent. I know that the blood is being well-kept and they give me good information about what's going on. I feel it’s secure and we’re good for the length of the storage. We’ve done it twice now because I wanted to make sure that if both of my babies ever got any type of disease, the cord blood would be available to them. With my first, the person who picked up the kit was very professional. My husband told me that the second time around they were a little less professional. They weren’t very forthright with explaining who they were but they still took it and were timely.

Original review: July 2, 2019

I have my first daughter’s cord banked at Americord. Recently, I used them again and our experience with them was good. It met my expectations fully. With the convenience of getting the process done and getting the carrier to pick everything up, it was very smooth.

Original review: July 1, 2019

I lost a brother to cancer when he was six. So, knowing that there’s cancer in my family, childhood cancer especially, my husband and I decided that banking our baby's cord blood was worth the cost. I got to speak with a rep of Americord at my OB's office and that was really helpful to have an actual human to talk to and ask questions, too. I got a little bit confused as to what happens after the blood was taken, but I got to speak with someone a couple of weeks ago about it and the process was explained pretty well. The courier came way early. They arrived two hours before they were supposed to come and my husband spoke with them and it was fine. So far, so good.

Original review: June 29, 2019

My friend's mom is on the board of Americord and she said really good things about it. Our baby came a little bit early so we set up the appointment within hours of needing their service. Americord was able to get to us that night. They arrived on time and did exactly what the directions said they were going to do. They also kept my husband in the loop. Storing our baby's cord blood makes us feel better that we have a safety net if we ever need it.

Original review: June 25, 2019

Previously, I used Americord with my son. So, it was a very easy decision to do that with my second child as well. Everyone's been very friendly and very eager to help. It's a very quick process and thus far, using Americord has exceeded my expectations. I like the way they do business and everyone that I've spoken to has been very knowledgeable. In this world, people never know what's gonna happen. It would be for the best if I bank my children's cord blood. After researching multiple companies, Americord seems like it provides the best value and the best customer service.

Original review: June 24, 2019

Our baby's forming a heart condition that we knew in utero so we decided to bank our baby's cord blood. I spoke to a few people from Americord, a female at the beginning, and then a male at the end after we had sent it away. And everyone was really great and everything was explained extremely well.

Original review: June 19, 2019

My sister-in-law who has been using Americord's services recommended them to me. I went and their rep was very informative and helpful. Scheduling was easy. I called them, said I was ready for pick up and they came to the hospital and picked up the kit the next day. So far, using Americord's service has met my expectations. I've recommended someone to them already.

Original review: June 18, 2019

I like Americord's customer service. I looked at different places where I can bank my baby's cord blood and they were very good in terms of calling and making sure that I was satisfied. They made sure as well that all my questions were answered. I went with them and the specialist who assisted me was great. She didn't pressure me and gave me some time. When I was ready to make the decision, she was there to answer the questions and process whatever was left such as doing the payment. I was at the hospital and their courier dropped it off for me while they were there. The courier told me the time that they were gonna get there and they were there at that time. Overall, Working with Americord has met all my expectations.

Original review: June 15, 2019

I was referred to Americord and as I was speaking with them, they decided to give me a discount. There are new cancers coming out and people are more prone to be diagnosed with different types of cancer and it’s genetic. My husband’s side of the family has had a lot of people diagnosed with cancer. So if I can alleviate it by donating cord blood, which is for stem cell research and it can help out with a family member or my child, where they wouldn’t have to go through extraneous tests and have to pay the most bucks on medicine or treatments, it’s not gonna work or cause them to be a little bit more lethargic. I just thought it was a better idea, to pay the upfront cost instead of the long-term cost.

I’m also a chemist and I do believe in science. So, in case something was to ever happen with one of my child, me, my husband, our family members, it’s a good way to help them out in whatever situation they may be in. Americord did an excellent job. They met my expectations by calling, making sure everything was okay, giving me direct information on how to handle the process and checking out to make sure everything went well. Plus, the process was straightforward and the cord blood can last up to 21 years.

Original review: June 10, 2019

Americord is newer than all the other companies but they had good reviews. Also, it was cheaper than the other options. My husband handled the setup and he didn't have any complaints. Before they arrived, setting up was quick and easy. And the follow-ups had been good and everything was handled pretty quickly. I am happy with the service.

Original review: June 5, 2019

I did some research on Google and Americord seemed to be legitimate and they have good reviews. Also, they are cost-effective. When we said that the cost is more for us and we can't afford that much, they took a step and they reduced the price for us according to our budget. We are very thankful to them. They collected our baby’s stem cells. There is so much of research going on and it may be useful in the near future if we have any complications. If technology developed in the future and if we get more advantages with it, then it is the best way to do it. We are happy with it.

They call me and ask me if I have any questions. And they direct me time to time, like asking if I'm good with the baby. Everything is going on and they remind every so often to take the kit to the hospital when I am due. Once I get there, they respond very kindly. Instead of me calling them, they called me multiple times. They met my expectations 100% and we will definitely recommend Americord to our friends and family.

Original review: May 30, 2019

Setting everything up with Americord was pretty easy. My husband did it over the phone and he didn’t complain. We went with them for the placenta tissue that they provide. Having the kit for our child, so far and in the future, is very important.

Original review: May 15, 2019

Americord had placental preservation that the other banks didn't have. Also, the price seemed more reasonable when you collect several tissues so we went with them. My fiancé gave them the kit and everything was great.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I asked my OB if putting my baby's cord blood in a bank was worth it and he said it was. After an online research, I decided to go with Americord. The rep who assisted me was very helpful and got everything done in a day. The process for picking up the kit was also done pretty quickly. There was some miscommunication, so they sent two couriers. But regardless, everything was smooth and they were able to find me. All in all, Americord has met my expectations very well.

Original review: May 12, 2019

I'm a bit older and this is my first child, so I wanted to make sure that everything was fine. Americord had pretty good ratings and their reps were really knowledgeable. They definitely follow up, personally call you and explain everything. They'll also send you things via email or tell you that you should go on the site to look up stuff. So, they were very helpful. The person that I spoke with every time was always the same person, which was nice and more personable. We got all the samples, and though the hospital where I had it collected at hasn't had many private collections with Americord, the kits were pretty easy. After I delivered, we called the number and they came in and picked it up within two hours. It absolutely met my expectations or, if anything, exceeded them.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I have diabetes through pregnancy, and I did research and saw that a lot of diseases could be treated by the cord blood and tissue. It would benefit me as well later on if I have diabetes. I banked three things with Americord because I have to think far for my baby, so it's like I bought insurance. I called them around 7:00 PM and they set up the morning pick-up. Everything was fast and they gave me a lot of details, explained to me very clearly and the price is very reasonable.

Original review: May 10, 2019

My husband and I have researched about Americord when we decided to go cord blood banking. It will be useful if anyone in family needs the baby’s stem cell. We found Americord in good reviews. We couldn't afford the down payment and they have installment planning. This is the largest bank so we feel this cord blood will be safe with their banking. My other friend also goes with them and referred them to me.

The Americord rep helped us in everything while we are setting up our account and choosing the plan. They also followed up when they sent the package. And also, after receiving the cord blood, they called us. They ask if we have any questions. It was good experience. We are also referring whoever friends who are pregnant if they are looking. We felt that everything was a good and easy process with them.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I like that Americord had higher capture count than a lot of the other places did. I had experience with ViaCord previously, with my son. The pricing structure seemed a lot more reasonable with Americord without having to have the yearly service fee. Americord's customer service is awesome. They've called me several times to check in and let me know what's going on with our account and things. It's been pretty great so far. And we had a really high cell capture. So I thought that was also good.

My husband and I have different blood type and we were thinking if he has my blood type as opposed to his blood type, my son has two blood types. It turned out they have the same blood type. But we just wanted to be safe and know that we have the baby's cord blood if we need it down the road. There's a history of lots of rather strange illnesses in our family. I recommend Americord.

Original review: May 6, 2019

I like Americord's pricing and they have better options compared to others. They also did the placenta. The staff I talked with made everything very streamlined. She was very forward and made sure to catch up with me and get everything set up for me. Americord is very valuable for the future of my child and for me as well. Our doctor had gotten everything ready and my husband handled it because I was still recovering, and it was really easy.

Original review: May 4, 2019

Americord was suggested to me by a friend. There's so much out there disease-wise, and there are a lot of research happening on how cord blood banking could potentially help. We have two kids. We did not do it with our first, but we decided to go ahead and do it with our second. The instructions that we received over the phone was slightly different than what the person picking it up assumed. They didn't assume that they were supposed to pick up the whole kit. And we were told to seal it. But it was received just fine. Americord has been easy to use.

Original review: April 27, 2019

We reached out to Americord and they got back to us quickly. Their rates were comparable and affordable, and we had heard good things about their service. Our experience with the blood specialists that assisted us was a breeze and it was really good. They thoroughly explained everything to us and the directions on how to collect the things were clear. My husband met with the courier who picked the kit up. The courier came quickly and the transfer went smoothly. The value of using Americord has definitely met our expectations. It gives me peace of mind to know that I have the blood saved there in case I and the baby ever need it.

Americord expert review by Sandra Gordon

Americord offers parents the ability to collect stem cells from the placenta and umbilical cord soon after the child's birth. These stem cells, obtained from cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue, can be used to help treat genetic diseases and other threats to the baby's life. Placenta tissue stem cells can also be used to benefit the mother.

• Personalized customer service: Americord provides 24-hour telephone support, meaning that you'll always have someone to reach out to.

• Lower prices: Americord offers a one-time payment plan or a 24-month plan to spread the cost of cord blood banking over two years to help individuals afford any treatment plans they need. There are no yearly storage fees.

• Proprietary technology: Americord's technology allows for up to two times as many stem cells compared to the traditional methods of cord blood extraction.

• Highest guarantee: Americord will pay up to $90,000 if your stem cell transplant fails to engraft. The company uses an AABB-accredited lab.

• Fast courier service: Cord blood extractions are delivered by the fastest medical courier in the United States.

• Best for: Parents who carry genetic diseases, children born from complicated births and children who may need organ regenerative therapies.

Profile picture of Sandra Gordon
Sandra Gordon Parenting Products Contributing Editor

Specializing in health and medicine, Sandra Gordon has written extensively about cord blood banking for national and regional parenting magazines. She also has written about baby products, including breast pumps, for national and regional parenting magazines, blogs and books. Her work has appeared in hundreds of publications, including Parents, Prevention, Woman’s Day and Self. Gordon also appears on TV as a baby safety and money-saving expert. She is also the author of 10 books and the founder of babyproductsmom.com, a site dedicated to helping new parents gear up safely and within their budget.

Americord questions and answers

What problem is Americord trying to solve?
Americord is working to improve lives in ways that would not otherwise be possible. We focus on cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue banking innovations that provide more treatment options for newborns and their families.

For example, our proprietary Cord Blood 2.0™ technology preserves up to twice as many stem cells, making it possible to treat larger patients and expand treatment opportunities for smaller patients. This is crucial because traditional cord blood banking often collects only enough stem cells to treat a child under 65 pounds. Americord expands treatment options to patients weighing up to 165 pounds.
What sets Americord apart from the competition?
Americord offers the broadest and most technologically advanced product line in the industry. Our focus is on providing more treatment options for clients by combining innovative technology and white-glove care for superior value.

We are the only company that offers Cord Blood 2.0™ technology that collects up to twice as many stem cells as the industry average.  In addition, we are one of very few companies that offer expertise in three stem cell products - cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue. We are also one of only two companies that offer a collection kits approved by the FDA for c-sections.

We are committed to the highest levels of customer service, with 24/7 availability and white-glove care, including bedside pickup service by the medical courier. For mothers in early labor or last minute stem cell banking decisions, our AmericordRush™ program offers same-day delivery of the Americord Collection Kit at no extra cost.

We allow parents to decide what to bank right up until delivery, with our 3-in-1 Collection Kit for the collection of cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue. Expectant parents can reserve a kit and then return it free of charge as their plans change. There are with no cancellation fees, no annual storage fees and no withdrawal fees.
What needs does Americord fulfill, and how does Americord fulfill those needs better than your competition?
Americord’s mission is to provide the highest quality services, at the lowest possible cost, while supporting unique and innovative ways to improve the therapeutic utility of cord blood and tissue stem cells to improve patients’ lives. We invest in the future of stem cell banking so that families and their loved ones will have peace of mind. We actively explore innovative collection, transportation, processing and storage technologies to improve yields and viability to ensure the best possible results for our customers and the medical community.

We operate to the highest ethical standards in the industry and are committed to complete customer satisfaction. We thoroughly test every collection, and if the yield falls below the recommended minimum standards, we don’t charge parents who elect to forgo storage. In addition, we don’t offer incentives to the medical community to steer patients to Americord, preferring that patients make an unbiased assessment of the best stem cell bank for their needs.

We have the highest quality guarantee in the industry at $90,000, eliminate all hidden fees, and offer a risk-free cancellation policy.
How does Americord measure success?
Our clients entrust us with their most valuable medical assets, and we take this trust seriously. We measure success by customer satisfaction and regularly solicit feedback to ensure our products and services fully meet or exceed their expectations. We also benchmark our stem cell yields to ensure they deliver on our promise of achieving twice the industry average. In 2016, we recorded our highest cord blood collection volume and TNC count of 183 ml and two billion TNCs, respectively.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about cord blood banking?
Expectant parents often have questions about the types stem cells that can be collected and stored and the potential different stem cells hold for future medical treatments for their growing families.

A newborn’s umbilical cord contains two types of stem cells – hematopoietic stem cells (HSCs) and mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs). HSCs stem cells are programmed to become red and white blood cells. Medical science has found ways to use their natural abilities to treat over 80 disease of the blood like leukemia. MSCs, on the other hand, develop into muscle cells, bone cells, cartilage cells and fat cells. MSCs are considered essential to the future of regenerative medicine.
How has cord blood banking changed in the last 5 years?
Over the last five years, scientific breakthroughs in regenerative medicine and stem cells have raised awareness and interest in umbilical cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue banking. At the same time, expectant parents can be overwhelmed by an influx of cord blood banking companies with confusing claims, complicated offers and aggressive marketing tactics. As the industry evolves, it has never been more important for expectant parents to find a reliable source of unbiased information to ensure they make the most informed choice for their important medical assets.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about Americord?
Americord is rooted in a firm set of values. Our purpose is to improve lives and change the world. Our core values support our purpose and define how we manage and successfully grow our business.

• Customers: We strive to serve and provide value to our customers, faithfully and consistently. This commitment is foundational to our success.

• Employees: We encourage an ownership mentality, treat others with respect, provide opportunities for learning and growth and challenge to be their best selves.

• Integrity: We treat all we encounter fairly and with integrity.

• Innovation: We constantly improve strategy, products, operations, ourselves, sales talking points, marketing and financial performance, and our internal processes, with the aim of challenging ourselves to leave the organization better off tomorrow than it was yesterday.

• Learning: We instill a culture of learning and growth.

• Community: We engage with the local community, advancing important technologies and being generally charitable and helpful to others.

These values are more than just words, they inform everything we do.
Has Americord received any rewards or recognition for its products or services that your customers would like to know about?
Americord is AABB and FDA accredited and we have an FDA accredited collection bag. We have an A+ Better Business Bureau rating. Americord is also licensed in all states that require licensure for cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue banking.
How has your company grown?
Americord’s superior technology, focus on customer service and engrained set of values has made it the fastest growing cord blood bank in the United States. As a result, the company has been listed on the Inc. 5000 List of the fastest growing private companies in America for the past two years.

Americord Company Information