Call toll free
4.75/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Americord is a pioneer in the development of umbilical cord blood, cord tissue, and placenta tissue banking. They’ve developed Cord Blood 2.0, a ground-breaking process that collects up to twice as many stem cells compared to traditional cord blood collection. Americord provides the quality and highest standards you are looking for. They are FDA registered and do not charge yearly storage fees. Call Americord today to see what they can offer your family.

192 Americord Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I’m a pediatric PT and I was taking precautions, so I decided to bank my baby’s cord blood. The guy from Americord contacted me and I went into labor. It was a great experience with the specialist but the courier had no idea what they were doing or what they were taking, and neither did I since it was my husband who dealt with them. I had to have the nurse answer the questions that I had, then she took it and it made it to its destination. Americord told me that it would be there at 10 o’clock the next day because they expedited it. However, it was at the post office on a Saturday and it didn’t come Monday. I happened to come into labor that weekend so I wasn’t pleased with that. Despite that, everything has worked out.

Get expert buying tips about Cord Blood Banking delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

We used Americord years ago for our first daughter. It was then much cheaper compared to the other ones and it had 20 years free storage incorporated into the initial amount. The specialist was helpful and this time, I didn’t have many questions because I already knew what I was getting into and what I was expecting. The hospital staff contacted us and the courier was very prompt in picking up the kit. Americord is knowledgeable and has touched upon a new trial that they’ve been doing with the cord, blood cells, and tissues. I work in cancer research and I know anything can happen any time so, banking the cord blood is just insurance. It’s going to be not enough once the kids reach their teenage years so, I banked my cord blood tissue as well. If and when something else is needed, they can always regenerate within the tissue.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

My husband did the research and he was looking at Americord and another company when I went into premature labor. My husband called them since it was the one that he remembered. They immediately had someone come to the hospital with the box. We’re in Chicago which is a big city so that helped. People in smaller places probably don’t have that type of access. My son was born six and a half weeks early so it was a hasty emergency situation.

When I got pregnant with my daughter, we decided to do it again. We contacted them and they gave us a very nice discount for being second time users. We had the kids’ stuff at the same place since all those banks have the same collection process and do the exact same thing. Americord’s prices have gone up drastically since 2016 since we only paid 3,000 for my son and 5,000 for my daughter. The box came, they called us, sent us directions and asked if we had questions.They had a crew come immediately after my daughter was born. The website is user-friendly and they’ve done a lot with it. It shows you exactly what you banked. I need to call them about getting an updated list for my son because if you were an older client, they don’t have the same information about what is in the bank, as the new clients do. So far, everything has been great.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

We did a lot of research in terms of different illnesses and things that can potentially save our baby’s life in the future so we thought of banking our baby’s cord blood. My husband and I looked at a couple of places, we picked the pricing and we liked what was offered at Americord in comparison to other companies. Our experience was positive for both the specialist and the courier. My husband was the one that dealt with the courier. They picked it up on time and when they said that they would. We would recommend Americord to our friends and family. We feel good that we did it.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Cord blood banking was becoming mainstream so we did it. People should go for Americord. They are the cheapest and the feedback was great. The specialist was fast and they came from when I called my hospital within an hour. The courier picked up the kit at the time he said he would and the experience was good.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Americord?

Original review: Aug. 25, 2018

My wife has some blood-related issues so we wanted to make sure that the baby doesn’t carry them. By banking our baby’s cord blood, at least there is something that we can prepare with if she does. I had a lot of questions, such as about the pricing, and Americord answered and clarified all my questions. I liked their one-time pricing. While other companies charge recurring fees for 20 years, Americord doesn’t charge that so I don’t have to worry about recurring payments every year. Also, they have an advanced technology that can draw more cells. Our experience with the blood cord specialist was very smooth. The carrier picked the kit up immediately in the hospital as soon as we called them, so that was good. It was a seamless experience.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2018

Americord was the most economical choice. Gail, the rep, was very personable and informative, and made it easy for me. Then the carrier got the package and was in and out very quick.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

People are saying that banking my baby’s cord blood for some insurance is worth it. A friend was doing the research and she said that Americord is good. Everything went very smooth with them and was not troublesome. Also, the package was picked up pretty fast. We called at about 5:00 and the guy came at 6:00-ish. So we had everything handled on the same day. It’s an awesome experience and we're satisfied.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I’m 44 and a half years old. I’m working in a hospital so I did a lot of research. Cord blood banking is not 100% useful for my baby in the future, but it’s just in case. I only have one child. I have one opportunity, so I don’t want to lose it. My OB doctor recommended two other banks to me. I asked both the guys there and they were crude. Then I searched online and I got Americord. I put my personal information to Michael who called and emailed me. That guy was really nice and professional. He did a great job. After my OB doctor did a C-section on me, the anesthesia was too strong for me so my friend I have with me contacted the organization Americord and then they came. She told me they were nice.

If possible, it would be very helpful if Americord had Chinese in the printer. I’m a foreigner and even though I work in the medical field, a lot of medical terminologies are still strange to me. I told Michael if they didn’t give me some discount, I prefer to choose another organization. Even though I didn’t need the Chinese lady's help with the language, they offered her and I appreciated it. I will recommend somebody to Americord if I have the chance.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I used Americord since they did placental banking as well. The cord blood is for the baby and the placenta is for my future use. Alzheimer’s runs through my family a lot and I’m doing research for that. There are no guarantees but a possibility. Americord talked to us about everything, answered any questions we had and everything went smoothly. The carrier came quickly and my husband gave the kit to them.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

In case there will be any issues down the road, my baby's cord blood can be used for multiple ailments and it can also be used for my other children. I like Americord's payment options better, and they offered a very good discount through my employer. I also have ViaCord for my other child and after weighing the pros and cons of both, Americord seemed like a better option. Also, from what I was able to find, Americord would banked more cord blood. So, the cord blood would be usable longer. As my understanding, the amount of cord blood ViaCord is able to bank can only be used on up to somebody who’s 60 pounds. My daughter is almost 45 pounds. Americord goes up to 180 pounds. So, I have a better chance of using that for my children than what I’d be able to use the ViaCord for. There was a slight issue when Americord picked up the kit, but they resolved it on the spot.

Original review: July 25, 2018

In my 20 week ultrasound, we found out that my daughter has multiple congenital heart defects. We used Americord to bank our child's cord blood in the hopes that throughout her lifetime there's something that's usable to help her health condition. My husband did a lot of the setup and unfortunately, I still think it's really expensive. It was a hard purchase and hard decision. It was still painful but it was okay. The process was simple. It didn't require much work on our part and they were the best price as far as cost of the value that we can find.

The only thing that caught us off guard is in all the paperwork. We were under the impression that there would be a heads up to let us know if the sample taken was a good sample and viable before they charged our credit card. And then everything was said and done and we just found out that the credit card's been charged. So from our perspective, there was a little piece of communication that was missing. Still, the outcome was the same and we're very happy.

Original review: July 24, 2018

In the very rare and unlikely event that my baby's cord blood would be needed, I have it banked. I had gotten with Americord for my son, so I went with them again. I chatted with the specialist on the phone and then I have too many questions which he answered, so it was a good experience. In using Americord, I hope it's one of those things that I'll never really experience the value of. But if banking your baby's cord blood is what you want to do, then I recommend them.

Original review: July 21, 2018

Everybody at Americord seems fine. I had questions and they were answered. I did some internet research and it seemed like Americord was the better one to go with, and so far, it has met my expectations. I would recommend it.

Original review: July 20, 2018

Our specialist from Americord was so good and she explained everything. We decided to bank our baby’s cord blood for in the future, we can use it for health conditions, and Americord met our expectations.

Original review: July 19, 2018

When we were in Japan, I was working for company when I found out I was pregnant and the man told me that he had four child and then he kept blood cord for all of them. He told me that we should do that because it would be good. All the research states that if they have the blood cord, they can use it if they get ill. So we checked the internet and we saw that it was expensive but it would be good, and we have the one-time chance.

It was good that Americord contacted me through email because sometimes it is very hard for me to understand English. So if it's text or email, I can read it again and again. It was good that they reminded and text me because sometimes I wasn't sure if everything was ready or if there was anything I had to do before I had the child. This was for our third child and we also the blood cords of our two older daughters. Overall, I will recommend it.

Original review: July 18, 2018

Using Americord is good. I've heard of people banking their baby's cord blood before so it's better to have it than not have it if you need it. I had my first baby also and I did my research. When I called Americord to ask questions, they were good with it and it was a doctor who was actually answering the questions. The prices were better too. Then when I called for the pickup, the courier got there super fast.

Original review: July 16, 2018

The cord blood technology is improving and I wanted to make sure of the future. I don't want to miss if there are a little bit of chances of curing anything with the cord blood because I can't get it back. I already used Americord before for my son and so I continue to use them the same time because I like the customer service experience. I went to the rep for the stem cells last time and I also I went to her for the cord blood. I wanted to continue the same thing because when I first interacted about my son I got the detailed information and they said that right now they have improved the technology of collecting that one. And they have offered me to cord bank my umbilical cord also but I said no because that is of more use for me than for the child.

Americord is very prompt on checking details and they reminded me of taking juice when it was very close to my due date. Then they had the cord blood picked up within two hours of my giving birth. That was a very great customer service because I didn't expect them to be picked up in the midnight. I also already shared about Americord to my sister and she also has a child. I referred her and she also has some cord banking with them. So we both have a good experience with them and I'm really excited with it. I would recommend the company.

Original review: July 13, 2018

Americord didn’t force me to commit to them right away. The whole cord blood industry is a bit expensive and Americord is pretty comparable to that. But I could always send back their package if I chose not to use the cord blood if anything happens. Their rep was also very good at following up and giving me a detail of how the process works. They definitely met my expectations. Also the courier who picked up the kit was very quick.

Original review: July 11, 2018

We banked our other two kids' cord blood and felt like we should do it for all three. I had used Americord before and used them again this time. The people I dealt with answered questions and they were good. I'd recommend Americord.

Original review: July 10, 2018

Our experience with Americord's cord blood specialist was seamless. We’ve also used Americord before and they were able to give me a discount this time for multiple usage, but it gets a bit pricier every time we’ve done it, so that’s a little annoying to me, but it’s still something that we would rather do than wish we had done.

Original review: June 26, 2018

Banking our baby’s cord blood might be useful at some point in the future so we decided to do it. One of my friends referred us to Americord and we are happy with the tech. They came to the door and they just took the kit so it was very convenient for us.

Original review: June 23, 2018

My brother died very young. He passed away almost four years ago from diabetes and it was caused by an ATV accident. He flipped his ATV and it damaged his pancreas and after that, he became a type 1 diabetic. There was a scar tissue build-up and there were also autoimmune diseases in our family. If my son were to have it, there could be a higher chance that it could be curable. There’s still a lot of research in cord blood banking and it's not definite, but I would rather have that option than not.

I liked that Americord had the most information available, which made it easier to communicate with them and they’re very straightforward with their information. I spoke to a woman and a man and they were able to tell me how the cord blood could possibly help with the stem cell and then they told me you can either pay upfront or do a payment plan. When they sent the kit, it was fast on arrival and it was easy for the doctors to understand step by step how to collect the cord blood.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I have a history of Leukemia and lots of people in my family have cancer. I thought that banking my baby's blood cord might be worth the investment and I like that Americord did the placenta as well, so I went with them. The specialists I worked with were friendly and knowledgeable. They answered everything that I wanted to know and they were very respectful of my indecisiveness. Everything was easy. My hospital didn't normally do blood cord banking, so it was their first time doing that and they managed to get it done. The experience overall was really great and I would do it again.

Original review: June 20, 2018

My mother-in-law did a lot of the research and she liked Americord. We have cancer on both side of the family. If there was any sort of issue, and our daughter needed stuff, we would have the cord blood available. Americord was very on top of everything. They were very courteous over the phone. The courier who came and picked it up was great. And they followed up every time anything happened.

Original review: June 19, 2018

Americord has the best promotion going. We decided to bank our baby's cord blood because it's better to be safe than sorry and for the amount of money that I was spending Americord stores the longest compared to other companies. Plus the cord specialist was knowledgeable and very helpful. It's a very good experience.

Original review: June 16, 2018

We used Americord with all our sons and the online person there was better than that of the other organizations. This time, my communication with the representative wasn’t as long. I did not have so many questions and he was very helpful. I'm a biologist and I believe that we’re gonna have a lot of applications for the stem cell in the future. My oldest son has autism spectrum disorder and I read that there are some researches in this field on the application of stem cells.

Original review: June 13, 2018

My Americord experience has been positive. My wife decided to bank cord blood off chance that we would need it to secure our children's safety. They did an easy job of explaining it and the pick up process was very simple. We called and they were there in two hours.

Original review: June 12, 2018

We've had some family histories of different things and I wanted to guard against that in case something were to happen with our daughter. In the beginning, I didn't realize there were so many different ways to cord bank. But I just did the cord blood and the specialist that I worked with was very friendly and very helpful. Everything was covered and explained really well. And I've gotten really good service afterwards. Americord told me everything was stored well, so I was very confident in their service.

Original review: May 28, 2018

We decided to bank our baby's cord blood because we didn't want to take any chances if something goes bad because he's a high-risk baby. We chose Americord because they had placenta tissue storage which others did not have. The cord specialists helped us a lot in choosing and explained everything. But the courier couldn't find us properly, so we had to guide them to reach us to the hospital room.

Nowhere on Americord's kit it was it mentioned how much cord blood should be collected. When the doctors collected the blood and we sent it, Americord replied saying the amount of blood collected was less than the standard. And this is a one-time thing. We can't go back and collect it. Even the doctors were not aware of that. They had given us the parent sheet, doctor's sheet and nurse's sheet but it wasn’t mentioned anywhere. And we had to call them and they said that there was no use of storing a lesser amount. They said something like only a particular amount of blood is stored and something can be done on that. So everything was initially good but later on we had to face all the problems because that was the time when I should have attended on my baby. Instead of that, I had to answer the call from Americord why they were not storing and the policies and everything. That was not what I was supposed to do on that whole day.

Americord response

Dear Gauri -

This is Martin, CEO of Americord. I first want to congratulate you and your family on your new addition.

I appreciate your feedback and I'm sorry to hear that you had this experience with your collection. It is our aim at Americord to help parents to bank as much of their cord blood, cord tissue, and placenta tissue as possible. However, some collections are not always as voluminous due to several factors at time of collection that our team would be happy to discuss with you.

In light of your feedback, I have asked my team to conduct a full review of our healthcare guidelines and we will be making our instructions more transparent to parents and their health care providers around collection volumes in the coming weeks. These changes will supplement our existing procedure provided to clients, such as our informative emails and check-in calls prior to birth, where we encourage our clients to talk with their OBGYN/Midwife about being sure to completely fill the cord blood bag.

While I appreciate that this will not solve the problem in your case, I hope that it will help future parents avoid the difficulties that you have experienced.

Congratulations again to you and your family on your new addition. If you have any further need for help or would like to discuss this more, please feel free to contact client services at 866-503-6005 ext. 2 and mention this response.

Sincerely,

Martin

Americord expert review by Sandra Gordon

Americord offers parents the ability to collect stem cells from the placenta and umbilical cord soon after the child's birth. These stem cells, obtained from cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue, can be used to help treat genetic diseases and other threats to the baby's life. Placenta tissue stem cells can also be used to benefit the mother.

• Personalized customer service: Americord provides 24-hour telephone support, meaning that you'll always have someone to reach out to.

• Lower prices: Americord offers a one-time payment plan or a 24-month plan to spread the cost of cord blood banking over two years to help individuals afford any treatment plans they need. There are no yearly storage fees.

• Proprietary technology: Americord's technology allows for up to two times as many stem cells compared to the traditional methods of cord blood extraction.

• Highest guarantee: Americord will pay up to $90,000 if your stem cell transplant fails to engraft. The company uses an AABB-accredited lab.

• Fast courier service: Cord blood extractions are delivered by the fastest medical courier in the United States.

• Best for: Parents who carry genetic diseases, children born from complicated births and children who may need organ regenerative therapies.

Profile picture of Sandra Gordon
Sandra Gordon Parenting Products Contributing Editor

Specializing in health and medicine, Sandra Gordon has written extensively about cord blood banking for national and regional parenting magazines. She also has written about baby products, including breast pumps, for national and regional parenting magazines, blogs and books. Her work has appeared in hundreds of publications, including Parents, Prevention, Woman’s Day and Self. Gordon also appears on TV as a baby safety and money-saving expert. She is also the author of 10 books and the founder of babyproductsmom.com, a site dedicated to helping new parents gear up safely and within their budget.

Americord questions and answers

What problem is Americord trying to solve?
Americord is working to improve lives in ways that would not otherwise be possible. We focus on cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue banking innovations that provide more treatment options for newborns and their families.

For example, our proprietary Cord Blood 2.0™ technology preserves up to twice as many stem cells, making it possible to treat larger patients and expand treatment opportunities for smaller patients. This is crucial because traditional cord blood banking often collects only enough stem cells to treat a child under 65 pounds. Americord expands treatment options to patients weighing up to 165 pounds.
What sets Americord apart from the competition?
Americord offers the broadest and most technologically advanced product line in the industry. Our focus is on providing more treatment options for clients by combining innovative technology and white-glove care for superior value.

We are the only company that offers Cord Blood 2.0™ technology that collects up to twice as many stem cells as the industry average.  In addition, we are one of very few companies that offer expertise in three stem cell products - cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue. We are also one of only two companies that offer a collection kits approved by the FDA for c-sections.

We are committed to the highest levels of customer service, with 24/7 availability and white-glove care, including bedside pickup service by the medical courier. For mothers in early labor or last minute stem cell banking decisions, our AmericordRush™ program offers same-day delivery of the Americord Collection Kit at no extra cost.

We allow parents to decide what to bank right up until delivery, with our 3-in-1 Collection Kit for the collection of cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue. Expectant parents can reserve a kit and then return it free of charge as their plans change. There are with no cancellation fees, no annual storage fees and no withdrawal fees.
What needs does Americord fulfill, and how does Americord fulfill those needs better than your competition?
Americord’s mission is to provide the highest quality services, at the lowest possible cost, while supporting unique and innovative ways to improve the therapeutic utility of cord blood and tissue stem cells to improve patients’ lives. We invest in the future of stem cell banking so that families and their loved ones will have peace of mind. We actively explore innovative collection, transportation, processing and storage technologies to improve yields and viability to ensure the best possible results for our customers and the medical community.

We operate to the highest ethical standards in the industry and are committed to complete customer satisfaction. We thoroughly test every collection, and if the yield falls below the recommended minimum standards, we don’t charge parents who elect to forgo storage. In addition, we don’t offer incentives to the medical community to steer patients to Americord, preferring that patients make an unbiased assessment of the best stem cell bank for their needs.

We have the highest quality guarantee in the industry at $90,000, eliminate all hidden fees, and offer a risk-free cancellation policy.
How does Americord measure success?
Our clients entrust us with their most valuable medical assets, and we take this trust seriously. We measure success by customer satisfaction and regularly solicit feedback to ensure our products and services fully meet or exceed their expectations. We also benchmark our stem cell yields to ensure they deliver on our promise of achieving twice the industry average. In 2016, we recorded our highest cord blood collection volume and TNC count of 183 ml and two billion TNCs, respectively.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about cord blood banking?
Expectant parents often have questions about the types stem cells that can be collected and stored and the potential different stem cells hold for future medical treatments for their growing families.

A newborn’s umbilical cord contains two types of stem cells – hematopoietic stem cells (HSCs) and mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs). HSCs stem cells are programmed to become red and white blood cells. Medical science has found ways to use their natural abilities to treat over 80 disease of the blood like leukemia. MSCs, on the other hand, develop into muscle cells, bone cells, cartilage cells and fat cells. MSCs are considered essential to the future of regenerative medicine.
How has cord blood banking changed in the last 5 years?
Over the last five years, scientific breakthroughs in regenerative medicine and stem cells have raised awareness and interest in umbilical cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue banking. At the same time, expectant parents can be overwhelmed by an influx of cord blood banking companies with confusing claims, complicated offers and aggressive marketing tactics. As the industry evolves, it has never been more important for expectant parents to find a reliable source of unbiased information to ensure they make the most informed choice for their important medical assets.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about Americord?
Americord is rooted in a firm set of values. Our purpose is to improve lives and change the world. Our core values support our purpose and define how we manage and successfully grow our business.

• Customers: We strive to serve and provide value to our customers, faithfully and consistently. This commitment is foundational to our success.

• Employees: We encourage an ownership mentality, treat others with respect, provide opportunities for learning and growth and challenge to be their best selves.

• Integrity: We treat all we encounter fairly and with integrity.

• Innovation: We constantly improve strategy, products, operations, ourselves, sales talking points, marketing and financial performance, and our internal processes, with the aim of challenging ourselves to leave the organization better off tomorrow than it was yesterday.

• Learning: We instill a culture of learning and growth.

• Community: We engage with the local community, advancing important technologies and being generally charitable and helpful to others.

These values are more than just words, they inform everything we do.
Has Americord received any rewards or recognition for its products or services that your customers would like to know about?
Americord is AABB and FDA accredited and we have an FDA accredited collection bag. We have an A+ Better Business Bureau rating. Americord is also licensed in all states that require licensure for cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue banking.
How has your company grown?
Americord’s superior technology, focus on customer service and engrained set of values has made it the fastest growing cord blood bank in the United States. As a result, the company has been listed on the Inc. 5000 List of the fastest growing private companies in America for the past two years.

Americord Company Information