Call toll free
4.74/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Americord is a pioneer in the development of umbilical cord blood, cord tissue, and placenta tissue banking. They’ve developed Cord Blood 2.0, a ground-breaking process that collects up to twice as many stem cells compared to traditional cord blood collection. Americord provides the quality and highest standards you are looking for. They are FDA registered and do not charge yearly storage fees. Call Americord today to see what they can offer your family.

247 Americord Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: March 12, 2019

We were doing some research and we were told that in case we need the cord for any medical purposes in future, banking it would really be helpful. Everybody else was doing it, so we did it too. My friend did their cord with Americord and they told me that everything like the service was really good. I went to them too and I had a really nice specialist. She was really helpful and she had knowledge of what she was doing. The people who picked up the kit came on time. They came to the hospital at the particular time they mentioned. They came to pick up everything. They checked then they left. Americord has exceeded my expectation.

Get expert buying tips about Cord Blood Banking delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 8, 2019

We used Americord with our first baby and we went with the same thing for the second one. Their cost made me prefer them over other companies. Initially, I chatted with them online and they called me back on my cell. I requested for the different options that I have and they provided me with it. I chose the cord blood only, then they sent the box to me within two days. There were follow-up emails and text messages of what to do on the day of the delivery.

Once the delivery was done, I called back the team and they sent a person within eight hours. They picked it up and within two days, provided the certificate of how much was available. Their reps were pretty good and knowledgeable. They gave me information at the right time, so everything went through pretty smoothly. The instructions were pretty straightforward. When they sent me the text messages, everything was on there. And they always call me with a follow-up. I'd refer others to start with the Americord company.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Americord said to me that they can extract a higher number of cells and the representative explained each and everything. He told me the positive and the negative and he gave me what extra thing Americord is providing. So it was really helpful for me to exactly understand the cost, the pluses it leads to and how we can use it in the future. You never know what may happen so I wanted to save the cord blood to be on the safe side. It might be 10 years down the line but if something happens to the baby, to us or to her sibling, I should have something we can work on. At this point, I don't have any issues. It's going pretty well.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

One of the things that led us to Americord is the use of the latest technologies to preserve the cord blood for a longer time. Mainly, our thing was the price also. Plus the people at Americord were able to answer our questions on how the pricing would be, what would happen, how I would get something if I needed it and how a DNA would match. I think there was a quick test on how it matches with other DNAs. With all the things going around, we wanted to be careful. If something comes around, either to me, the baby or anybody, the cord blood would help our strength. We did it as an insurance and it has been a smooth journey. They came and picked the kit up, and that was it.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

My baby's cord blood could be used for a health issue. We decided to bank it and after doing a research, we went with Americord. I like that they saved the blood cells, the umbilical cord and the tissue of the placenta. The courier who picked up the kit was very nice and professional. We were stuck on some stuff, and he helped a lot.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Americord?

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I had a traumatic experience in my childhood that left me with a lifelong disability. I have a spinal cord injury and there's no current treatment for that. I decided to go with banking stem cells for the idea that in the future, they may be more effective at treating more things. Giving my kid that opportunity, potentially down the road, to have something that may be able to keep my kid from having to live with a lifelong disability or illness is amazing. Americord was good with answering my questions when I called in. I had a great experience with their specialist.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I will be having my first child and my mother encouraged us that we should store our baby's cord in case something happens on the way. Another reason I wanted to bank my baby's cord blood is that of my own syndrome. I also have a pregnancy blood clot and anemia. My doctor gave me some flyers and we started doing some research. After that, we called Americord. Their price and service made me want to know more about their company. It helped that their staff were attentive to follow up with each step.

While they were not pushy, they reminded me that my due date was close. They also explained to me and my husband how the blood cord works. I like that they texted instead of having phone calls because I'd rather not pick up the phone when I'm somewhere else. They sent updates with other promotions and then coordinated with our budget and gave all the financial payment plan with us. Other than that, we just called them and then the carrier found the room that I was in. Overall, my experience with Americord was pretty good.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I decided to bank my baby's cord blood to be on the safe side just in case. I did some research and I decided to use Americord's services. Their specialists knew what they were talking about and they were thorough. Then, the courier who picked the kit up was fast.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

Banking my baby's cord blood was a smart thing to do. With Americord, we didn’t have to pay for storage for 20 years like everyone else and they were also cheaper. They met my expectations and everything was good.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

We did a lot of research, read reviews, and Americord and another company had the best reviews. When we tried to get in touch with both companies, Americord was very responsive. They answered our messages and questions even on weekends. Their representative was really nice, which made the pick easy. The blood cord specialist was there and answered in detail. Also, the cord specialist's patience and responsiveness were good. So far, Americord, makes me feel better knowing that they're there. We wanna make sure that if anything ever happens, we did this, so essentially it's insurance. While I wish the price wasn't so hefty, my overall experience was good.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Some of the companies hassle you a little bit, but Americord didn’t hassle me too much. Working with their rep was great. They were very nice, easy to work with and very straightforward. They called and talked to me about everything. Then everything was sent in the mail, and it was very easy to read and my dad just knew how to do it. The courier came when he said he was gonna come, and it was simple. Americord was recommended to me by a friend and using it has high value. It's good to have the stem cells in case I might need it.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I had been researching about stem cell preservation and cord banking and I thought this is a better option for my baby's safe future. I found that Americord is good and we spoke with one of the representatives and got good information. So, we were sure that this is the bank we wanna choose. The cord blood specialist was very prompt and she answered all of the queries. Then, the courier who picked up our kit came on time and it was good with him. So far, we have had a good experience.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

Based on the online searches that I made, I decided to go with Americord over other banks. The rep I dealt with was pretty good. They were also straightforward and easy to work with.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

My cousin recommended Americord and they did all three banking. The specialists I dealt with were very helpful and knowledgeable. I liked how there were instructions. It was very easy. The box was all set up, and it went very smoothly.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Americord was all included for 20 years, so we did not have to pay yearly. I did it for both my kids and everything was great. The courier who picked up the kit was good, and my husband took care of that afterwards. Americord was a pretty cheap insurance policy for my kids, and I know the value of extensive research. I also appreciated getting a discount on the second kid, because it went up quite a bit between kid number one and two.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

With Americord, we liked that we didn't have to pay a yearly fee after we made all of the payments in three years. The reps I dealt with are great. The process was really easy. They answered all of our questions, and they told us exactly how it would work. We got the package in the mail then we brought it to the hospital and their rep came and picked it up.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I've used Americord before for my twins. They did a pretty good job. A lot of it was to do the with the storage fee. Storage fee is included versus other companies, you pay a lifetime yearly storage fee. With my most recent experience I called and emailed their customer service, and then they put me in touch with a rep. And the representative was in New York. She called and listed the options available, including the cost. She said she could give a discount if we decided to pay upfront, meaning the whole fee versus a payment plan. We emailed back and forth. She wasn't too pushy, but she called me about once every 10 days to check in if I need any more information and if I have made a decision between placenta cord blood and umbilical cord, because I can do combinations.

It was very plainly laid out what the cost options were. And then I decided on going with cord blood and umbilical cord tissue after I talked to my doctor about it. They sent me the kit and it didn't cost me anything. I just held on to it. They did take a deposit, but the deposit was refundable if I went to a delivery, and they couldn't harvest anything. She also said that if they made a mistake, like if their courier couldn't get the blood to the bank in time, and there was no cells, then it was also refundable. So I didn't really see a lot of risks.

I gave her my credit card for the deposit, and that was also gonna be used for the payment as well. They ran the deposit and it was $230. I gave birth. They harvested the blood on the kit, then they called the number on it. When we called the number, they put me in touch with the courier service. But then, they had trouble looking up both twins' information. A few days before my scheduled C-section, I filled out everything online, registering my child and they also had trouble looking that information up to match it and trying to figure out Twin A versus Twin B. But that all got worked out. It just took a couple of hours over the phone. I just told them what the issues were, and they figured it out behind the scenes.

The courier, which was an independent contractor came. He took the samples and drove it straight to LAX. He gave me a receipt of taking it. And then 10 days later, I got an email saying that there were viable cells, and that they would be charging my card the full amount, which was like 10,700. After I paid, they gave me an official certificate of storage for the amount of cells in the blood. They did a pretty good job. Except maybe having the courier's information might be good because I didn't know he was coming. But they did the follow-up phone calls, which was great, to see how everything went in the experience.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

A friend referred me to Americord and so far, everything has been very good. The reps have been very helpful. Any time I had any questions, they were answered. Everybody was always very efficient. The process was also not very long at all. As soon as I made the phone call, and they gathered all my information, it was up to me then to make the final decision. Everything on Americord's end went very quickly.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I investigated Americord online and then I kept getting emails. I like that the fee wasn’t billed yearly. After the initial, it was paid all upfront. However, I’ve gotten a lot of phone calls without much customer service. They’ve called a lot after the fact just to get feedback even though they know that I have an infant. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn’t use Americord. The person that came to fix this up didn’t have forms and had to come back, and was there for hours. Overall, the process was not great.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I’m a huge believer in stem cell research and the help that it could possibly provide my little one in the future if they end up with any kind of disease. I was given a review of other banks and Americord seemed to have a better rate. They also have an FDA approval. It’s been a pretty easy process with them. Their guy was extremely helpful, patient, and cool. He really made the whole process seem a lot easier than what the online did.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

We have friends who said really good things about Americord. We went with the banking process for the future although hopefully, we won’t need it any time. Just in case we don’t use it after 20 years or so, it'll be our child's decision what to do with it. Maybe it could be useful to somebody else too. Our experience with Americord was pretty good. Everything was quick and they were there to pick up everything on time.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Our experience with Americord is good. We looked at others but we thought Americord is best for us, so we have proceeded with them. Their reps answered my questions. We have stored our baby’s cord blood for future use for our baby. If we'll need any emergency help, we can use that. I feel good because before Americord collected our baby’s cord blood, they gave me a lot of instructions. So, they are doing good.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

We did not go with the cord blood storage with my first kid. With this second one and my last one too, we thought this is the last chance that we can do it. If it is not done this time, then we cannot do it anytime. I did a research online and Americord was a little less expensive compared to other providers. I read the review and when I called the customer service, they spoke to me well so I decided to go with them. Americord is very good with pricing as well as reviews. I hope they maintain it.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

We thought about banking our baby's cord blood the last minute right before I went to the hospital, just for peace of mind later on if we needed it. I Googled and Americord came up. The cord blood specialist was very good. They were able to give me the information and get the kit was sent to us right away so I was impressed.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I liked the upfront price of Americord for the 20 years and not having to worry about making an annual payment. I banked my first child with them four years ago and this time, the experience was great. When I called since I had questions about getting in the online system, the rep was able to get me my discount for being a return client. She got me the kit quickly and answered any questions that I had. We called to say that the kit was ready and the courier told us that they would be there the next day. However, they came later that night which was interesting because we weren’t expecting them but that was fine. We banked our baby’s cord blood in case we might need it and I would recommend Americord.

Americord response

Hi Andra,

I am Martin, the CEO of Americord. I want to congratulate you and your family on your beautiful new addition.

Also, I want to thank you for enrolling a second time with Americord. The Americord team is committed to providing the best "Customer Focused" service, and so I am delighted to learn that your experience this time was a great one. We will continue to make sure that you received five-star service throughout the 20 years.

Thank you again for your kind review and for recommending our services.

Sincerely,

Martin

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Banking our baby's cord is an insurance policy that we can financially afford, and we thought of trying it just in case. I spoke to someone and it made sense to go with Americord. The cord specialists were very helpful and they made it easy. The courier who picked up the kit was fine, too.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Americord seemed to be the most popular option through our doctor and we went off the recommendation. We saw it as an insurance policy for the future. Our doctor warned us that a lot of it is science that isn’t quite here yet. It's potential science and it’s a chance we would be taking that may or may not come to fruition. But the potential benefit seemed to outweigh the cost for us and that was really why we ended up going to do it. But we had waited until the last minute to decide that we were actually gonna do it. It was two weeks before we went to the hospital and at that point, I was a little nervous because I had heard or read somewhere that we would need to go ahead and get paperwork and stuff done 8 to 10 weeks in advance.

But the experience was wonderful. Everything went very smoothly. We got the box the day after I purchased it online and that was great because I ended up being induced earlier than our due date. I was glad it was able to still be done. The courier was great too. He showed up not long after we had made the call and he did a great job. It seemed to work nicely. Americord has definitely met my expectations so far. It’s one of those things that's like an investment. You put the money in and don’t think about it until you have to use it. And as long as it’s working for me, I’m fine. We were pleased with the way everything went and I definitely had good things to say to friends of ours.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

We have decided to go with the cord blood because times are developing and we don't know what it can treat after 10 to 15 years. We have used Americord with our first one, so the second time, we have them for our second son. Working with their cord blood specialist was straightforward. Since we already experienced the first one, we already know what the procedure with the cord blood kit. Then during my second son's delivery, I called the number, and then they called after. Everything went smoothly for the most part.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I wanted to bank my baby’s cord blood and we did it with my older son. My husband has used the cord for his hips and we thought that if he ever does it again, we already have what we needed so we are definitely relieved. We did not know very much about it when we had it with our first bank and it was expensive for us. But I was impressed with Americord’s customer service which is big for me. Also, I liked the way they priced their plans and it made more sense.

When the courier picked up the kit, my mom took care all of it. However, there was a bit of miscommunication. When I had the consultation, they told me that the doctor had to sign but my doctor did not have to sign it and they would not take it. But when they were here the next time, they told me that it was okay if the doctor did not sign and as long as the everything was filled out, then they will get it shipped off. That aside, I have been recommending Americord and I have told another friend who is pregnant and she has been thinking about it.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

Banking our baby’s cord blood was something that I perceived in the future as being very valuable and there are lots of research. I hope not to use it, but maybe it doesn’t only need to be used for some dire circumstances. Maybe it could be used for other situations so it’s better to have it. Americord had cord blood as well as placenta and the storage. There was another company I was inquiring about but Americord beat them to the chase. They were very responsive, reliable and I really liked the customer service.

Americord expert review by Sandra Gordon

Americord offers parents the ability to collect stem cells from the placenta and umbilical cord soon after the child's birth. These stem cells, obtained from cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue, can be used to help treat genetic diseases and other threats to the baby's life. Placenta tissue stem cells can also be used to benefit the mother.

• Personalized customer service: Americord provides 24-hour telephone support, meaning that you'll always have someone to reach out to.

• Lower prices: Americord offers a one-time payment plan or a 24-month plan to spread the cost of cord blood banking over two years to help individuals afford any treatment plans they need. There are no yearly storage fees.

• Proprietary technology: Americord's technology allows for up to two times as many stem cells compared to the traditional methods of cord blood extraction.

• Highest guarantee: Americord will pay up to $90,000 if your stem cell transplant fails to engraft. The company uses an AABB-accredited lab.

• Fast courier service: Cord blood extractions are delivered by the fastest medical courier in the United States.

• Best for: Parents who carry genetic diseases, children born from complicated births and children who may need organ regenerative therapies.

Profile picture of Sandra Gordon
Sandra Gordon Parenting Products Contributing Editor

Specializing in health and medicine, Sandra Gordon has written extensively about cord blood banking for national and regional parenting magazines. She also has written about baby products, including breast pumps, for national and regional parenting magazines, blogs and books. Her work has appeared in hundreds of publications, including Parents, Prevention, Woman’s Day and Self. Gordon also appears on TV as a baby safety and money-saving expert. She is also the author of 10 books and the founder of babyproductsmom.com, a site dedicated to helping new parents gear up safely and within their budget.

Americord questions and answers

What problem is Americord trying to solve?
Americord is working to improve lives in ways that would not otherwise be possible. We focus on cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue banking innovations that provide more treatment options for newborns and their families.

For example, our proprietary Cord Blood 2.0™ technology preserves up to twice as many stem cells, making it possible to treat larger patients and expand treatment opportunities for smaller patients. This is crucial because traditional cord blood banking often collects only enough stem cells to treat a child under 65 pounds. Americord expands treatment options to patients weighing up to 165 pounds.
What sets Americord apart from the competition?
Americord offers the broadest and most technologically advanced product line in the industry. Our focus is on providing more treatment options for clients by combining innovative technology and white-glove care for superior value.

We are the only company that offers Cord Blood 2.0™ technology that collects up to twice as many stem cells as the industry average.  In addition, we are one of very few companies that offer expertise in three stem cell products - cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue. We are also one of only two companies that offer a collection kits approved by the FDA for c-sections.

We are committed to the highest levels of customer service, with 24/7 availability and white-glove care, including bedside pickup service by the medical courier. For mothers in early labor or last minute stem cell banking decisions, our AmericordRush™ program offers same-day delivery of the Americord Collection Kit at no extra cost.

We allow parents to decide what to bank right up until delivery, with our 3-in-1 Collection Kit for the collection of cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue. Expectant parents can reserve a kit and then return it free of charge as their plans change. There are with no cancellation fees, no annual storage fees and no withdrawal fees.
What needs does Americord fulfill, and how does Americord fulfill those needs better than your competition?
Americord’s mission is to provide the highest quality services, at the lowest possible cost, while supporting unique and innovative ways to improve the therapeutic utility of cord blood and tissue stem cells to improve patients’ lives. We invest in the future of stem cell banking so that families and their loved ones will have peace of mind. We actively explore innovative collection, transportation, processing and storage technologies to improve yields and viability to ensure the best possible results for our customers and the medical community.

We operate to the highest ethical standards in the industry and are committed to complete customer satisfaction. We thoroughly test every collection, and if the yield falls below the recommended minimum standards, we don’t charge parents who elect to forgo storage. In addition, we don’t offer incentives to the medical community to steer patients to Americord, preferring that patients make an unbiased assessment of the best stem cell bank for their needs.

We have the highest quality guarantee in the industry at $90,000, eliminate all hidden fees, and offer a risk-free cancellation policy.
How does Americord measure success?
Our clients entrust us with their most valuable medical assets, and we take this trust seriously. We measure success by customer satisfaction and regularly solicit feedback to ensure our products and services fully meet or exceed their expectations. We also benchmark our stem cell yields to ensure they deliver on our promise of achieving twice the industry average. In 2016, we recorded our highest cord blood collection volume and TNC count of 183 ml and two billion TNCs, respectively.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about cord blood banking?
Expectant parents often have questions about the types stem cells that can be collected and stored and the potential different stem cells hold for future medical treatments for their growing families.

A newborn’s umbilical cord contains two types of stem cells – hematopoietic stem cells (HSCs) and mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs). HSCs stem cells are programmed to become red and white blood cells. Medical science has found ways to use their natural abilities to treat over 80 disease of the blood like leukemia. MSCs, on the other hand, develop into muscle cells, bone cells, cartilage cells and fat cells. MSCs are considered essential to the future of regenerative medicine.
How has cord blood banking changed in the last 5 years?
Over the last five years, scientific breakthroughs in regenerative medicine and stem cells have raised awareness and interest in umbilical cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue banking. At the same time, expectant parents can be overwhelmed by an influx of cord blood banking companies with confusing claims, complicated offers and aggressive marketing tactics. As the industry evolves, it has never been more important for expectant parents to find a reliable source of unbiased information to ensure they make the most informed choice for their important medical assets.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about Americord?
Americord is rooted in a firm set of values. Our purpose is to improve lives and change the world. Our core values support our purpose and define how we manage and successfully grow our business.

• Customers: We strive to serve and provide value to our customers, faithfully and consistently. This commitment is foundational to our success.

• Employees: We encourage an ownership mentality, treat others with respect, provide opportunities for learning and growth and challenge to be their best selves.

• Integrity: We treat all we encounter fairly and with integrity.

• Innovation: We constantly improve strategy, products, operations, ourselves, sales talking points, marketing and financial performance, and our internal processes, with the aim of challenging ourselves to leave the organization better off tomorrow than it was yesterday.

• Learning: We instill a culture of learning and growth.

• Community: We engage with the local community, advancing important technologies and being generally charitable and helpful to others.

These values are more than just words, they inform everything we do.
Has Americord received any rewards or recognition for its products or services that your customers would like to know about?
Americord is AABB and FDA accredited and we have an FDA accredited collection bag. We have an A+ Better Business Bureau rating. Americord is also licensed in all states that require licensure for cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue banking.
How has your company grown?
Americord’s superior technology, focus on customer service and engrained set of values has made it the fastest growing cord blood bank in the United States. As a result, the company has been listed on the Inc. 5000 List of the fastest growing private companies in America for the past two years.

Americord Company Information