Accredited Partner

Visit Website
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.82/5

Americord is a pioneer in the development of umbilical cord blood, cord tissue, and placenta tissue banking. They’ve developed Cord Blood 2.0, a ground-breaking process that collects up to twice as many stem cells compared to traditional cord blood collection. Americord provides the quality and highest standards you are looking for. They are FDA registered and do not charge yearly storage fees. Call Americord today to see what they can offer your family.

Americord Reviews

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: March 2, 2020

We've used Americord before and they've met my expectations. Unfortunately, I've not had to use the cord blood but as far as collecting it and the storage of it, it's been a great experience. We have the means to do cord blood banking and we hope we never have to use it but if we do, it's nice to have it there. But it's difficult for the patient to get buy-in from hospital staff because the hospitals don't do it very often. There's a little bit of anxiety there on the side of the parent to make sure that the blood and the tissue are harvested, preserved and shipped correctly. For a lot of people, it's outside of their normal core of operations.

I've had good experiences but a lot of times, the doctors doing the birth are not the ones that end up putting all the tissue in the correct bags with the correct preservation chemicals and labeling them correctly. That's usually done by a nurse and most of them have never touched one before. They have no idea what they're doing. They have to follow the instructions that are in the book. It gives me a little anxiety from time to time and I hope that this person understands that this is important. I have to hover them and watch them until they do it right. But that's not something Americord could control. It's just not a common practice in our healthcare industry so it creates a little bit stress for the customer hoping that it all goes down fine.

Get expert buying tips about Cord Blood Banking delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

This is my second baby and we had done cord blood banking for my first one as well but that was in India. That time, we researched about it. So we were pretty much on board with the idea of something that might come useful when we are not there and it's still convenient for her. So choosing to bank her cord blood was a no-brainer for us. We had to do it. It was just we had to figure out which one to go to. I spoke to Gail and Americord was suggested by one of my friends and she had a good experience. We were comparing that and another company which was mostly a little bit cheaper then Gail matched the price. Because of the convenience, we went with Americord. The experience with the specialist was all smooth. We didn't have to hassle anywhere.

I have one question though. I remember Gail said that my friend is supposed to get something but it's still not processed. I got a call from another rep in a month back and he said that it might take another week or so and it will be processed. It's not a lot but then because Americord have it in their leaflets that there is a referral bonus I would like my friend to get that. I just need to know how long does that thing needs to be processed, and what's the time frame, and when can I expect that she gets it so I don't have to follow up on it again and again. It's more than three months now so I'm just wondering where did it go.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

I wanted to bank our baby's cord for insurance purposes. I never know what's going to happen so I rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I would hate to be 10 years down the road and have the doctor say, "Do you have this?" and me saying I don't when I could have. It's cheap insurance and it's for peace of mind. When I was searching for banks, I looked into several factors as far as how they go about storing and drawing the different cells. But Americord's credibility, their history in doing it, their different process of storing, the length of the storage and their price made us go ahead and use them.

Their customer service was wonderful. I talked to Simon and he was terrific. He followed up with me and continued to service my account very well. Everything went smoothly. When I hire a service to be done, I don't expect to be burdened with their shortcomings or their inadequacies. I want to be handled professionally and completely for a full-service operation, which Americord has achieved very well. They took care of everything and I didn't have to think about it. I also didn't have to chase after them for anything and I didn't have to get confused in the way they answered questions. If I asked something specifically, they answered very specifically without any kind of hidden language. It's been a fantastic experience and I have been very satisfied.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

We had friends who recommended banking our baby’s cord blood and then our OB recommended it too. When I did the research, there was a multitude of reasons to do it- all the diseases that it could cure and for health. And also, I have a neurological disease and I know they’re doing a lot of research with neurological diseases. There was a chance that it could help me one day.

We did a lot of research and liked everything Americord had to offer especially the placenta tissue banking. Most of the other companies didn’t do that and we didn’t feel comfortable with the only other company that did since they just started doing it. We felt very comfortable with Americord though. They are the best place for our family. They were a little bit more money than some of the other places, but they were worth it because of what we got. I like how they stored the cord blood. They explained to us how they stored it and how you could use it multiple times. With other places, they had to defrost it all at once and whatever you didn’t use would be thrown out.

My husband and I loved Jazz, the rep. She was phenomenal, very helpful, and answered all of my questions. Whatever we needed, she was willing to help us. I have some medical conditions and she got a specialist to do some research to answer my questions relating to that. She also offered to call me on her days off if those were the only days I could talk. Moreover, the courier was easy to use. I was in ICU, but my husband and my parents said that everything went smoothly.

Americord response

Hi Jaclyn,

This is Martin Smithmyer, the founder, and CEO of Americord. I want to first congratulate you and your entire family on your new addition.

It is wonderful to hear that after much research on cord blood banking, you decided that Americord was the best choice for you and your family. Along with our five-star “Customer Focused” service, innovation is also a focal point for our company. We are always working to provide new and unique services to our clients such as the ability to store the Placenta Amnion.

We thank you for taking the time to provide your encouraging feedback and we look forward to our continued relationship.

Sincerely,

Martin

Original review: June 30, 2019

I’ve read through some of the benefits of cord blood banking. My husband and I had a trait of a blood disorder, so we tried to do it. We didn’t do it with our first child as we kind of forgot but as we planned for our second child, it was something that we wanted to look into and take advantage of because we never know what may happen in the future.

A week or two before my scheduled c-section, I decided to contact Americord. A friend of mine referred them and my experience with them was pretty seamless. I called them one day and by the next day, they already overnighted me the kit and called to walk me through how to use it. Their customer service was excellent. The pickup was also easy and right after they collected it, they gave it back to us. When we got to our room and got settled, we called in for the courier and he was there within an hour or so. He was very respectful. He knocked on the door, stated who he was, and stayed behind the curtain that was like a little partition. Then my husband went and gave him the kit.

Overall, Americord's service was excellent. I wasn’t even sure how it was gonna work and how it would happen. But they called me and walked me through things. It’s been about two months now and I’ve got about six follow-up calls to make sure that I was okay and checking on the baby. I just like what they’re doing, so I greatly appreciate that.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Americord?

Original review: March 24, 2020

I had cancer and I wanted to make sure that I was doing everything to help my kid. It was fine with the Americord specialist. The kit came fast and everything, including the directions, was simple. Also, I liked that the nurses knew what to do.

Original review: March 20, 2020

As a precaution, I banked my baby's cord blood and my experience with Americord was perfect. I found them on the website and when I did a little research, it was not bad. The specialist called me to follow up and see how it went with the baby.

Original review: March 14, 2020

When I did some research, it looked like Americord has a longer term, which was 20 years instead of about 15 with other companies. It also looked like Americord was doing more research on the cord blood and the tissue than other companies. The blood specialist was very helpful. I had a lot of questions and they answered them all. And if they didn’t know, they had some other people that knew more and they would answer me and explain everything. Also, the experience with the courier was easy, simple, and to the point.

Original review: March 11, 2020

Our experience with Americord is good. One of my friends referred them. The courier that picked up the kit was good and on time. But maybe it would be more helpful if we get some more deals.

Original review: March 8, 2020

I went with Americord because of the price, how easy it was to navigate the site which was very important, how fast the representative would get back and because they had really good reviews. I didn't do the placenta, but I was kind of thinking about it and probably another option. Having an extra option is always good. Having the procedure is important nowadays. We don't have all the research done yet and we're still in the process but it's having the company to have your back just in case. The value is if you need to use it but I hope I never use them.

I have an excellent impression on how the company is great from the beginning till the end. I got a call right after we got released from the hospital and everything was perfect. I delivered my baby at 5:43 and the courier came. He collected the case and we were surprised it was the same day because there's a policy that if you deliver after 5:00 then the courier comes the next day. So, we're surprised. He was able to find us quickly, which is so nice that you don't have to explain people how to get to you.

Americord expert review by Sandra Gordon

Americord offers parents the ability to collect stem cells from the placenta and umbilical cord soon after the child's birth. These stem cells, obtained from cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue, can be used to help treat genetic diseases and other threats to the baby's life. Placenta tissue stem cells can also be used to benefit the mother.

• Personalized customer service: Americord provides 24-hour telephone support, meaning that you'll always have someone to reach out to.

• Lower prices: Americord offers a one-time payment plan or a 24-month plan to spread the cost of cord blood banking over two years to help individuals afford any treatment plans they need. There are no yearly storage fees.

• Proprietary technology: Americord's technology allows for up to two times as many stem cells compared to the traditional methods of cord blood extraction.

• Highest guarantee: Americord will pay up to $90,000 if your stem cell transplant fails to engraft. The company uses an AABB-accredited lab.

• Fast courier service: Cord blood extractions are delivered by the fastest medical courier in the United States.

• Best for: Parents who carry genetic diseases, children born from complicated births and children who may need organ regenerative therapies.

by Sandra Gordon Parenting Products Contributing Editor

Specializing in health and medicine, Sandra Gordon has written extensively about cord blood banking for national and regional parenting magazines. She also has written about baby products, including breast pumps, for national and regional parenting magazines, blogs and books. Her work has appeared in hundreds of publications, including Parents, Prevention, Woman’s Day and Self. Gordon also appears on TV as a baby safety and money-saving expert. She is also the author of 10 books and the founder of babyproductsmom.com, a site dedicated to helping new parents gear up safely and within their budget.

Americord questions and answers

What problem is Americord trying to solve?
    Americord is working to improve lives in ways that would not otherwise be possible. We focus on cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue banking innovations that provide more treatment options for newborns and their families.

For example, our proprietary Cord Blood 2.0™ technology preserves up to twice as many stem cells, making it possible to treat larger patients and expand treatment opportunities for smaller patients. This is crucial because traditional cord blood banking often collects only enough stem cells to treat a child under 65 pounds. Americord expands treatment options to patients weighing up to 165 pounds.
    What sets Americord apart from the competition?
    Americord offers the broadest and most technologically advanced product line in the industry. Our focus is on providing more treatment options for clients by combining innovative technology and white-glove care for superior value.

We are the only company that offers Cord Blood 2.0™ technology that collects up to twice as many stem cells as the industry average.  In addition, we are one of very few companies that offer expertise in three stem cell products - cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue. We are also one of only two companies that offer a collection kits approved by the FDA for c-sections.

We are committed to the highest levels of customer service, with 24/7 availability and white-glove care, including bedside pickup service by the medical courier. For mothers in early labor or last minute stem cell banking decisions, our AmericordRush™ program offers same-day delivery of the Americord Collection Kit at no extra cost.

We allow parents to decide what to bank right up until delivery, with our 3-in-1 Collection Kit for the collection of cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue. Expectant parents can reserve a kit and then return it free of charge as their plans change. There are with no cancellation fees, no annual storage fees and no withdrawal fees.
    What needs does Americord fulfill, and how does Americord fulfill those needs better than your competition?
    Americord’s mission is to provide the highest quality services, at the lowest possible cost, while supporting unique and innovative ways to improve the therapeutic utility of cord blood and tissue stem cells to improve patients’ lives. We invest in the future of stem cell banking so that families and their loved ones will have peace of mind. We actively explore innovative collection, transportation, processing and storage technologies to improve yields and viability to ensure the best possible results for our customers and the medical community.

We operate to the highest ethical standards in the industry and are committed to complete customer satisfaction. We thoroughly test every collection, and if the yield falls below the recommended minimum standards, we don’t charge parents who elect to forgo storage. In addition, we don’t offer incentives to the medical community to steer patients to Americord, preferring that patients make an unbiased assessment of the best stem cell bank for their needs.

We have the highest quality guarantee in the industry at $90,000, eliminate all hidden fees, and offer a risk-free cancellation policy.
    How does Americord measure success?
    Our clients entrust us with their most valuable medical assets, and we take this trust seriously. We measure success by customer satisfaction and regularly solicit feedback to ensure our products and services fully meet or exceed their expectations. We also benchmark our stem cell yields to ensure they deliver on our promise of achieving twice the industry average. In 2016, we recorded our highest cord blood collection volume and TNC count of 183 ml and two billion TNCs, respectively.
    What’s the most common misconception consumers have about cord blood banking?
    Expectant parents often have questions about the types stem cells that can be collected and stored and the potential different stem cells hold for future medical treatments for their growing families.

A newborn’s umbilical cord contains two types of stem cells – hematopoietic stem cells (HSCs) and mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs). HSCs stem cells are programmed to become red and white blood cells. Medical science has found ways to use their natural abilities to treat over 80 disease of the blood like leukemia. MSCs, on the other hand, develop into muscle cells, bone cells, cartilage cells and fat cells. MSCs are considered essential to the future of regenerative medicine.
    How has cord blood banking changed in the last 5 years?
    Over the last five years, scientific breakthroughs in regenerative medicine and stem cells have raised awareness and interest in umbilical cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue banking. At the same time, expectant parents can be overwhelmed by an influx of cord blood banking companies with confusing claims, complicated offers and aggressive marketing tactics. As the industry evolves, it has never been more important for expectant parents to find a reliable source of unbiased information to ensure they make the most informed choice for their important medical assets.
    What is something you wish every consumer knew about Americord?
    Americord is rooted in a firm set of values. Our purpose is to improve lives and change the world. Our core values support our purpose and define how we manage and successfully grow our business.

• Customers: We strive to serve and provide value to our customers, faithfully and consistently. This commitment is foundational to our success.

• Employees: We encourage an ownership mentality, treat others with respect, provide opportunities for learning and growth and challenge to be their best selves.

• Integrity: We treat all we encounter fairly and with integrity.

• Innovation: We constantly improve strategy, products, operations, ourselves, sales talking points, marketing and financial performance, and our internal processes, with the aim of challenging ourselves to leave the organization better off tomorrow than it was yesterday.

• Learning: We instill a culture of learning and growth.

• Community: We engage with the local community, advancing important technologies and being generally charitable and helpful to others.

These values are more than just words, they inform everything we do.
    Has Americord received any rewards or recognition for its products or services that your customers would like to know about?
    Americord is AABB and FDA accredited and we have an FDA accredited collection bag. We have an A+ Better Business Bureau rating. Americord is also licensed in all states that require licensure for cord blood, cord tissue and placenta tissue banking.
    How has your company grown?
    Americord’s superior technology, focus on customer service and engrained set of values has made it the fastest growing cord blood bank in the United States. As a result, the company has been listed on the Inc. 5000 List of the fastest growing private companies in America for the past two years.

Americord Company Information