3.4/5 (134 ratings)

About 23andMe

23andMe Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 23andMe?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about 23andMe?

Original review: Feb. 22, 2021

I was an early adopter and liked some of their early website features. They went through a massive update few years ago and removed some of that original content. That was disappointing... They also do not connect family members correctly all the time. Example: my half-brother is sharing health/reports with me, flagged as my half brother in the system. When I want to see my father's line, 23and me reports that I need to connect with a family member like brother, etc. I am already connected. My half brother and I share the same father.. so, not sure the issue. Stuff like that is annoying. Still better than ancestry.com's version though....in my opinion.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2021

I guess I anticipated a bit more on the medical front instead of mostly genealogical background for 23andMe. They did provide an update about a year later that shows a marked difference in ancestry make-up based on their latest input from their growing database. You can participate in surveys to help hone their data, purely optional.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2021

I have had a great experience with 23andMe. They are continually updating their information and my results. This allows me to have a more comprehensive view of my DNA ancestry. I like that they offer me updates whenever a new DNA relative is found in their system.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

Always innovating and adding new reports at no extra cost. Has also started a Covid vs genetics and severity study. I’ve been using this site for years and I’m very happy with all the information I’ve received over the years!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2021

I like that I read about great results reported by lots of users. Price is reasonable and it sounds like fun. I was adopted about 60 years ago and was looking for some validation of my heritage. Only thing I now know (before testing) is that both my parents came from Ireland. They were not married when I was born. My father worked in construction trade and my mother was working in a hotel and she liked to sew. So...

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

So far I have been happy with my 23andMe. I purchased the extra health thing they offer and find the results interesting to read about. It’s also very fun to see all the people related to me and learn about certain traits. Also comparing results to my close family members has been interesting to learn about.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

I did not do the 23 and Me test. However my son did buy one and we were impressed with how it pointed out different countries for his heritage and based on my history from my family it was pretty spot on.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

Through another web site, I found out that my real name isn't "**". It's actually **. 23andMe never mentioned that. All they do is DNA nothing else. I am extremely upset with that deficiency.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

Was very happy with the results on 23 and Me... I have had contact with relations I never knew I had. Also loved finding out my ethnicities in eastern Europe. It was a very test to take and send in, the results were also very timely.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

This testing kit has provided me insight into my health that I couldn’t have imagined having access to! I am able to use my DNA information to adapt my lifestyle to extend my lifespan. I am also SO happy to see my family connections all over the planet. 23andMe has made the world a much smaller, more health conscious place. Highly recommend!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

The test is quick and easy and the instructions are clear. After mailing back your spit in about a week you get your results which are pretty interesting. They have a really slick website which is constantly being updated and can tell you where your ancestors were from, certain traits and even some health info if you opt for that package. Definitely worth the money.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2021

The ease of receiving, testing, and returning was super convenient! The results were easy to access and to my understanding were very accurate! Very satisfied and would definitely recommend to family and friends. Super enlightening experience.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2021

Taking the test was easy and the DNA ancestry results were interesting, but the family tree function is a little hard to use, particularly when they identify people as being in one part of the tree who are really in another.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

My daughter purchased this for me for Christmas. I was delighted. My joy turned into complete disappointment when I received my "results." The information was so vague and generalized that it could have applied to anyone. According to their tests, I was Jewish/Arabic, Native American, Spanish, African, British/Irish, so on and so forth. It omitted ancestry that I know of, and included ancestry that is dubious. My daughter even paid extra for the medical portion, which did not provide any useful information, and was seemingly based upon what I had told them. It appears that their so-called DNA information is purposefully "all-inclusive" and vague in order for the recipient to have a difficult time disputing the results. When I challenged the information they provided and requested a refund, they denied my request. This company is a scam, and they are providing false and misleading information.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

I wanted to dig into my heritage and see my Italian roots, I did. It showed lots of things I didn’t know about my heritage and connected me to my distant relatives, I dk if it true but it was pretty cool.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2021

It was a very simple test with a fast turnaround and I was very impressed with how detailed the report was. I learned things about my health and my family history that I would have otherwise normally lived my entire life without knowing.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2021

23 & me sucks. They failed to capture my DNA results after 2 attempts & then only refunded me the base cost (no refund of the tax or shipping) and then will send you a prepaid debit card after a 3 month wait (I'm still waiting). There is no live person at phone for you to call. Frustrated and ready to sue the bastards

Original review: Jan. 24, 2021

Ordered my kit from 23andMe.com directly and created the account at that time. Received the kit very fast. When I went to register the barcode to my account, the website errored and said the kit was registered to another account. I tried web chat customer service with no resolution so they “escalated” the issue. Then a few days later I tried the phone call to customer service and they had to “escalate” the issue. When they escalate an issue it Hager’s you off the phone and “someone will email you”.

The emails I received said the kit wasn’t associated to my email address which is simply restating my original complaint and closing a ticket. I suspect there are more than one account in their database related to my email address and I stated this to the service representatives. Neither rep even acknowledged that statement and the “escalation” department does not and will not speak to their customers. At this point, I feel they have scammed me and will pursue legal action to recoup money and the hours I’ve spent attempting to resolve it.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

Suggestion for the company: Be customer focused regarding what a customer is looking for when they pay to have a look at their Ancestry DNA. The only piece of information I was given was I was an Ashkenazi Jew and I have a .3% chance of having someone French or German in my family hundreds of years ago. I already knew I was an Ashkenazi Jew. Ashkenazi Jew is not an ethnicity, it is a religion. Ashkenazi means one’s ancestors were more eastern European. Nothing was mentioned regarding if I have relatives from Russia or Poland - I was told by family I have at least two generations from Russia and Poland. I was hoping to get some confirmation or a mini percentage to back up that claim but all 23andme gave me was a regional description: “Ashkenazi”.

The kit also gave me percentages regarding traits of mine such as the likelihood I have sticky earwax or a widows peak and more silly and uninteresting statistics. When I emailed 23andme them to share my disappointment I was sent a response suggesting I didn’t delve into the content deep enough. they subsequently emailed me more information about Ashkenazi Jews. I will not be recommending this company to anybody. I wasted my money purchasing 5- 23andme DNA tests for my family.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2020

23andMe sucks. I did the test and it gave me 3.0 percent unassigned and then it gave me 6.0 percent unassigned. Did the test at MyHeritage. Got 55.4 Europe, 37.1 America and 7.4 Africa. That means 0.1 percent is missing.. I would much rather have 0.1 percent missing than 3.0 percent or 6.0 percent... Worst company and people say 23andMe is better than MyHeritage. Get out of here with that nonsense!!!!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2020

Ordered the test kit. Received it fairly quickly. Spit in the tube (my DNA sample), sent it back in the box and label provided on Friday December 4, entered the USPS system on the same day, and 2 weeks later, 23andme still has not received it. At one point USPS tracking said it was out for delivery on Monday December 14, but as of Friday December 18, it still has not delivered. It is USPS first class, and it only had to travel about 265 miles (from Alexandria VA to Burlington NC), but with 2 full weeks in the USPS system it still has not been delivered. As a result, I had 23andMe cancel my order and issue me a refund (that much I give credit to 23andme.) Then I explained why I cancelled. They replied to me that even though it it was USPS first class, it is treated differently by the USPS than other first class mail because the USPS handles 23andme mail differently, and that it is not unusual for it to take 2 to 4 weeks to arrive.

My problem is:

1. Because I do not remember ever being informed about this weird and unusual treatment in shipping my DNA sample back to 23andme, I ask: Why couldn't 23andme be upfront to me about the long shipping times and the fact that it will be treated differently (more like snail mail than first class) than normal USPS mail when I first bought the product or even before I sent the sample back to them? Why couldn't 23andme be more considerate and upfront to their customers?

2. With my package out for delivery on Monday December 14 and not delivered by Friday the 18th, I find it disrespectful and even suspicious to have my DNA sample in federal custody in a manner that it disappears for a long period of time!

For these reasons, I feel they deserve a one star and that customers should think twice before entrusting their DNA sample to 23andme. Caveat Emptor!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2020

Purchased genetic testing kit for my fiancee directly from 23andMe. They mailed one kit in late August, which she used and returned. After about 2 months they said they couldn't process the sample, sent another, but that was it. No further communication. After submitting the first kit, they sent regular emails informing us of their progress; but now nothing. Now it's November and we still have no results. Which makes me wonder if this is a scam; or if the company is just badly run.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

I was pleased at first because I wanted to know my ancient roots DNA. They send you an email informing you of new DNA relatives and when I investigated I found that 23andMe changed and erased my ancient DNA data (and data was correct) without my permission. They called it an 'update' and deleted it all. After a number of emails they stated they would not correct their mistake by reinstalling my data, nor was I offered a replacement DNA kit to replace what they permanently deleted.

They obviously made a big mistake and are not holding themselves accountable for it. Their business model is sub-par. People pay a lot of money for their service and they should be respectful of their clientele, but by their actions, they are not. Their business model is both shabby and shady. Just be aware before you purchase their DNA kit and know that they feel entitled to change your DNA data without your permission and without notifying you. This chink in their armor can have untold consequences. Your DNA is a very personal matter, yet they do not uphold that philosophy, which by the way, they state IS their philosophy.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2020

I gave this as a gift and my friend didn't use it because of their data-sharing policy. When I realized she hadn't used it some time had passed but I still could show proof of purchase and prove it was never used. They are trying to deny me a refund so I can get her another gift. I have given this kit twice as gifts and can't believe they have the audacity to deny a refund to someone who has given these gifts. I Do not recommend using them!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

I ordered my kit to complete several years of working on my family tree. I ordered my kit throughout Amazon, which came in three days later. After returning my sample, I received my results within a month. I anticipated to use these results to validate some of the genealogy work I had completed over the years and perhaps with the help of 23andMe edit a few details. Apparently, the details were greater than I had anticipated. The results showed that I have a half sister, which I had NEVER expected. Not only my family tree but my entire life has changed for the better since. After analyzing the data delivered from 23andMe, I feel confident of their legitimacy and would confidently recommend them. I am sure that my new half sister would also agree ;). Best in your research everyone!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

This company's claim, to be able to trace our ancestors, is a complete lie. When I received my results I was shocked that their ancestry timeline stopped at 1780 and my most recent ancestry (north African) only dated back to 1930? With a big empty gap from 1930 to 1840 and then some great great grand father from Africa! This company doesn't disclose its ability to only trace back your ancestors to less than a 100 years ago and considers generational gaps to be of 30 years, which to me means they are telling me where my grand father came from! Wow, I really needed to pay 100$ to know that! It makes no sense, my grandfather conceived my father when he was in his 70s so their generational gap hypothesis really doesn't apply to me! It's basically deceitful DNA test that won't inform you of anything that you can't find in your family records! And the illegal part is that this information is NOT DISCLOSED anywhere when ordering their Kit!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2020

23andme staff is rude, stubborn and unprofessional. I purchased kit from a local vendor, shipped the sample kit, but they did not accept my sample kit, saying that I bought it from Amazon, and I should provide Amazon purchase receipt and ID in order to get the refund. When I told them that I did not buy it from Amazon, but I bought it from local seller, I also humbly requested them to provide the results of my sample, they refused to give the refund, and they said:

1. "Ask refund from your local seller."

2. If local seller does not give refund, open a dispute case with my credit card company.

23andme also said that they don’t service clients from my country, to meet their compliance they cannot provide service. How come a customer knows about 23andme policies? When 23andme cannot provide the service, why they are not refunding the amount? Are not they cheater? 23andme cares about their compliance a lot, but it does not care its customers money and time. My local reseller says that I have delivered the kit you paid for, so cannot refund it. My card company says you purchased a product, it was delivered, and we cannot open a dispute case. I wasted my time, energy and money to get 23andme service. It was a terrible experience dealing with 23andme.

Original review: July 24, 2020

The Family Tree algorithm is broken. I have been hung up on several times when calling, or left on hold for hours when asking to speak to a supervisor. When I ask for a refund I have been immediately hung up on. The customer service is terrible. The only reason I bought the product was for the Family Tree. It crashed and was down for weeks, and when it came back it was wrong.

Original review: July 19, 2020

Kit arrived. I took the test, tried to mail the kit at the Italian Post. They would not mail it using their prepaid mail. I contacted 23 many times, They just refuse to help me. Awful people. My latest email from them says after 30 days they cannot issue a refund. It has been months and no one said that. There is a pandemic worldwide. I am not able to travel any place to mail this kit.

Original review: June 22, 2020

My son purchased the DNA kit many years ago. It was very informative at first. Then they took all of the valuable information away, and want you to purchase a new kit to get back all of the initial information. Now there seems to be a glitch, and I can’t even get into my account. I tried contacting them with no response to my email.

23andMe Company Information