1.74/5

47 23andMe Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

Results came in. Didn't know for sure where my heritage stemmed from. Based on the results, MORE CONFUSED!! On top of it all you would need to pay more in order to get sucked down this rabbit hole of a scam... Upset and feeling that I paid $200.00 for a pile of vague information that could have been found out through Google search. More upset, b/c I have a child on the way and was vulnerable to the wanting of answers for the next generation. Companies should be punished for such ill business ethics... What are the best paths for retrieving monetary loss due to preceptive advertisement?

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

It is now October, I called the customer service number to be told my sample was not enough in MAY. No one called, or e-mailed me, or sent an additional kit as promised in their advertisement. Guess since I did NOT purchase their MEDICAL add on, no one was interested in ME. Buy the way don't waste your money on the medical testing.

Get expert buying tips about DNA Testing and Ancestry Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I had several family members that took the 23andMe test, on both sides of my family. When I got my results, I was provided a 42 page list of people that shared my DNA, somehow, nobody in my family was on that list though. Not only that, but the information they gave me could have lined up on my mother's side but nothing on my father's side. Makes me wonder, is this a money making scam? I've been told my entire life about the heavy Cherokee Indian ancestry on my dad's side. They said 1 percent. I also look just like my dad. So, no it isn't possible that he's not my dad. And finally, like everyone else on here has said, there is a long wait time for results and when you do get your results they are hard to interpret and keep asking you to spend more money to find out more information.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

When I received my kit, I noticed a liquid in the funnel. I read the instructions thoroughly and found no indication there should be that liquid. I tossed the liquid. Turns out that was a preservative that should have been attached to the funnel & *then* placed in there. Not only was it already in there -- again, there is absolutely nothing in the instruction manual that indicates what it is, or that it even exists. Compromised the whole sample. Waiting for new box in the mail -- then I will make sure to call the agent to walk me through it. Poorly done.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

It's been a year since I received my results from 23andMe, I really am a mutt, but the results are not clear. Broadly Native, Broadly Asian, & North African & just colored the continents with no further explanations. GREAT, thanks for breaking it down for me LOL.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 23andMe?

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

For my 48th birthday 8-24-18 I mailed my spit in... On 9-26-18 I had my results and in my results was all the answers I was looking for! I was able to find my biological father within 4 hours of receiving my results! He unfortunately had passed 3 years before but he has another daughter who I was able to be on the phone with within 6 hours of getting my results. So I highly recommend this company!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

Coming up off my 7th week waiting for results, I received an email stating I didn’t provide enough saliva. I know I did, I filled the tube just above the line. They sent a second kit no charge and I again filled the tube just above the line to ensure it didn’t happen again. Two weeks later I received another email stating there wasn’t enough saliva and they will be issuing a refund. Same issue as these other reviews, I guess I was lucky enough to even get a refund. Really bummed I didn’t get the information I was so excited to get. Now I’m hesitant to even try another DNA ancestry company.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

We submitted my wife and I two (2) samples to run DNA test. I strongly believe this place is a scam. This is going on two months and they will not refund or monies. We have sent in samples twice and they keep stating there was not enough saliva which is not true. I asked for refund and they stated I went over 30 days so no refund.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

Before you fall for this make believe mumbo jumbo reconsider what a scam this is. Lengthy wait time for results which would be ok if they were meaningful or understandable. They are neither. After you spend 20 minutes trying to find a phone number you get someone who spends their day listening to complaints and reading from a script. That is after the website won't accept your password necessitating a frustrating phone call with someone whose second language is barely passable English. The website will pitch you on buying more of this crap early and often. Give the money to charity and consider it better spent.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I am disappointed. 23andme is lazy just like Ancestry DNA. This company is lazy to analyze Ancestry. They were suppose to go to back the 1500s. They said that they will go back to the 1500s and they lied!!! Instead they will give you an excuse and a long article to read, which is crap! Even the Ancestry tests in Britain are very accurate. There was a Nigerian guy who took an Ancestry test in Britain and he was dark skin. He is 65% African, 28% Asian and 7% European. It's so obvious that there was racial mixing in Africa, not just America.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I received my kit the VERY DAY the $300 million dollar partnership with GlaxoSmithKline was announced. This means they knew it was going through but told consumers nothing. They didn't modify or amend their website or their registration and consent forms to reflect the fact that you, the consumer, are essentially PAYING to have your genetic material used by a giant pharmaceutical company for experimental/study purposes. That's not how it works. In research studies, the subjects are compensated. At the very least the test kit should be free.

I requested a refund immediately. Needless to say, despite complying with their elaborate return procedure, I did not receive my refund within the 30 days promised in the confirmation letter. I instead had to interact with the phone system that has no menu for returns, complaints or much else. (Pro tip: keep bashing '0' '#' into your touchpad.) Today, more than a month later, I have been told that I will receive a refund in 7-10 days. We'll see. The only thing saving my review from zero stars was the pleasant kid I ultimately reached on the phone who forced my refund through the system. Think hard about whether or not you want a giant corporation mucking around with your genetic material. Especially for free.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I purchased the 23andMe ancestry kit for my dad for Father's Day with expedited shipping. I did not receive the kit until July 1st... way past Father's Day. The lab received my Dad's results on July 8th. It is now September 6th and we still have not received results. After numerous phone calls they told me that they were "updating their systems" and that I should be more patient. After the 4th phone call they finally agreed to refund me. I am astonished at this company's poor customer service and failure to provide results in a timely manner. If you enjoy waiting for months for results and interacting with rude customer service representatives then this is definitely for you.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Lol, confusion... That should sum it up. Wait time alone is crazy, the results made my head spin. The test stated I'm 99.6 Western European with a 0.3 Nigerian red dot. While deployed in Iraq I was mistaked for a local by my buddies. My grandparents were born on a Cherokee reservation, my grandfather left the res and my grandmother stayed there in South Carolina. In high school my friends called me the Mexican as they thought my heritage was that of Mexican. That is where the confusion comes in, how does a 99.6 (as of today a 0.1 East Asian & Native American showed on the report) Western European man get mistaked for Mexican and Iraqi? Three theories, #1: genocide is a bad idea and many races not well known or cared about are almost extinct. 2: everyone I have meet throughout life are blind morons 3: don't trust any company until you've done a fair amount of research, this world is full of bad didders looking for an easy dollar.

I dare not ask for a refund and do not care for calling a ** customer service rep, life is too short to waste time asking for a couple bucks back from scam artists. The report also told me I have curly hair, completely opposite. I saw another review where someone contacted them about spouse and childs link to two diff native tribes and they (23andMe) told her they didn't have enough comparable data or something along those lines. Li'l advice for future users, make sure you don't have any indigenous DNA inside of you... o wait, you wouldn't know anyways and they won't be able to tell you regardless if you knew, ahahahaha.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

It's a waste of time. Go with Ancestry, this company has sent me same info, it's not ready. I sent my sample in 4 months ago. I wanted the results asap as most people. They won't replace or refund you.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Extremely annoyed. I have reached out several times to get an update and they keep repeating that the lab still is trying to process the saliva. I can clearly see that online. I need real answers. I even asked if the saliva wasn't enough to send me another kit and I will happily send more or just give me my money back and I will go somewhere else. There are several companies to choose from that do the same thing. I am not one to write a review, but this is ridiculous. At this point I feel scammed and will have to call my bank to get my refund because no one is making an effort to comfort the customer. I even reached out to corporate and no results.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I’ve received my dna test on the 18th of June and I got told on the 9 of August that my saliva wasn’t good enough to analyse. I am very annoyed with 23andMe because it shouldn’t take that long for a dna test to come back and to think they have a right to deny me a refund is disgusting. They are an awful company and I honestly wouldn’t recommend them.

Original review: July 15, 2018

I guess this is the place people come to complain about products. Downloading RawData isn't intuitive, but it also isn't that difficult to figure out. But, my background is in Computers, so that's looking at it from my perspective. It certainly works, and can be figured out. I've told plenty of people how to do it. Otherwise, its genetic accuracy for me was spot on as well, as well as certain genetic SNPs that have been corroborative by medical tests. The website seems easy enough for me, but I did like the pre-FDA messing with it 23andme much better. The restrictions put on them tied their hands terribly. So, basically, all the summary ratings on ConsumerAffairs are skewed terribly, because this is not where people purchased the product, but where they sought to complain about it to make themselves feel better.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I purchased one of the 23andMe kits, sent in the saliva sample, and within a couple of weeks was notified that the results were ready. That sounds good, but I unfortunately wasn't able to download them. I'm not super-smart when it comes to computers but I'm not dumb either, and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't download the results. So I asked the company to mail them to me, using U.S. Postal Service. The answer: No, positively not! Then I asked for a refund of the price. The answer: No! I intend to file a complaint with the California Attorney General, for whatever good that will do. But in the meantime, I want to make the following suggestion: Use ancestry.com instead. They're a little cheaper and a whole lot more cooperative. 23andMe is in not technically superior, and in terms of customer service they're rock bottom.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I object to the fact that in spite of my whole life of hearing of ** in Russia as cause of some in my family having slanted eyes, that my report came back as 100% Jewish dating back over 150,000 years to S. Africa; that I was asked upfront if my parents and both sets of parents were Ashkenazi Jewish is wrong, I regret answering honestly to this question.

Further, my husband has Osceola American Indian ancestry, my son has Cherokee American Indian ancestry, yet their reports do not mention this because according to 23andMe, their database does not contain sufficient Native American information and does not include details on Osceola and Cherokee. I asked for 3 refunds and was denied. I spoke with a supervisor in the U.S. suggest you either save your money or enlist another firm, stay away from 23andMe, they are unreliable!!!

Original review: June 11, 2018

I have had problems from the day I placed my order. Once I received them, then some of the barcodes won't register. With literally hours on the phone, with one call nearly 2 hours alone, I hung up as I was on hold for more than 45 minutes waiting for someone to come back. I opened a case with them in April 2018. Today June 11, 2018 it is not resolved. The case keeps getting closed. I send a new message for an update. I get an answer, "Give it 1-3 more days." That started at the end of May. With no responses I kept following up with an email on the case's reply form. Going on 2 months, today I got an email asking me to call them if I needed more help. They have responded to my issues and questions.

In addition, I tried reaching them through Facebook messenger. They respond with the same call the 800 overseas. I want a USA phone number whereby someone will listen, not interrupt and can help solve the problem. I'm back at square one. I bought 3 kits and wished I would have bought somewhere else. Reading the other comments, I'm not sure the results I have are accurate. I have recently learned of a 1/2 sister I have through her reaching out to the adoption agency. I only choose this service as she used it. She is connected to a 1st cousin of ours, but I am not. How strange and unreliable is that?! Please think before you use this service. You may be wasting your money. If anyone has a USA phone number, please share it. Wishing you all the best in reaching your DNA research goals. Family First...

Original review: June 8, 2018

Here's what I wrote to 23 and Me when they asked me for feedback: I don't think that you have the necessary database for processing matches properly. My family lineage is largely French. And yes, I know, DNA is not inherited evenly and families may have changed countries long ago. But I didn't even get a bubble under French. I have a chunk of uncertainty under largely European. You sent my daughter an update to correct hers, yet you didn't send me one.

When I called in to ask about the French DNA, I was told that you don't have a strong database for it. Your rep was little help. Your tutorial was little help. In addition, you got many many traits for me wrong: you said I would most likely have straight hair and no widow's peak or cleft chin. Just the opposite is true. My hair has been extremely curly since birth, etc. You did get right that I'm overweight, but I told you that on the pre-survey which you regurgitated back to me.

Wish I'd never even done the survey. My son also took your test. He has serious health issues with an auto-immune disease. You didn't find any of those connections. I also think that your health coverage is misleading. You nearly scared me to death with 20 pages of caution before revealing that I did not have the breast cancer link. Relief, but then I learned that there are many other kinds of breast cancer not screened for in your testing. Parts of your testing was interesting, but much is questionable. I'd probably give you a 2 or 3 star review, having never done the testing with another company, I don't have much to compare. Overall, a disappointment.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I have my sample number, my order number, date of order placed, phone number, name, etc. and called several times to customer services because I could not login in 23andMe.com. And could not resolved the case. So I paid for it. I can't retrieve my results. UNBELIEVABLE.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I went for a genealogy ancestry report on my family origin and was disappointed with the results that were sent to me. I am of Swedish descent with a long history of Swedish family dating back to the Vikings. Yet in 23andMe there is no mention of this or anything Scandinavian heritage. There are other mistakes I feel the reports shows which leads me to say I have no confidence in 23andMe report.

Original review: May 11, 2018

I purchased 3 kits (ancestry and health) for myself and kids. The reason is because I am an adoptee and the results are very valuable to my research. I have also tested with several other agencies trying to get as much data as I can to possible DNA relatives. I spent almost 500.00 on these kits. I submitted my sample on 2 May. My one daughter also submitted her sample on 2 May. The other family member 3 May. We were told the accurate analysis would take 4-8 weeks so very surprised when I received my results 9 May and my daughter on 10 May. The 3rd results have not yet come in.

In reviewing the report, I found a DNA match with a report of cM (Centimorgans which is a unit of measure that determines the relationship - 1st, 2nd, 3rd, close family, etc) that was less than 1/2 of the cM that I received for that same person on 4 other test sites. This concerned me greatly because that would mean the test results received from 23andMe were not accurate and there was a good possibility that the matches I did get would not be the correct cM level, if at all. My daughter did not even show up on my DNA matches, but I show up on hers at 200+ less cM than We match on other sites. I then downloaded my Raw DNA which I have a legal right to do as it MINE and when I tried to upload it into other sites (GedMatch, etc), I received an error stating the raw data was corrupt to download and try again, which I did.

Again, I received an error on the multiple autosomal transfer sites that definitely are compatible to 23andMe raw data autosomal transfers. (The reason I know this is a friend had done this a month before and told me all that had happened with his results with 23andMe). Additionally, My daughter downloaded her DNA Raw Data file and she attempted to upload to the same sites. Like me, she got errors. She tried again with no success. In the health report, the results that were returned was essentially a regurgitation of all of the survey questions that I had answered (thinking that they were to help 23andMe research instead of using it as my result). So I then decided I would call customer care.

I had to look up the number because it was not readily available on the site. I first spoke with a customer care representative who transferred me to Vanessa. Vanessa sounded like she was angry when she answered the phone and was not really in the conversation. I requested to speak to someone else. After being on hold for 10 minutes, I was speaking to Delaney. She said she was a supervisor. However; she was also quite rude and condescending. I began telling her of some of my issues and concerns. She continuously interrupted me and said she was 100% sure that they never make mistakes. I attempted to go through each of my concerns with her and she asked for examples. I gave her specific examples. She did not have a response to them.

I asked her how do I read this when the centimorgan result was obviously not correct and the health predictions were not correct. She didn't answer. The health data information does not match any genetic data results that I have received from other sites including ones that are very scientific sites (so scientific that I have a hard time reading it). Again, one of the major reasons these tests were ordered and done was to find additional information or rather DNA matches that I was not gleaning from other sites as well as any potential health data that wasn't received from other sites NOT LESS information or bogus information.

I asked if it was possible that a tech may have went through the data too fast in order to "keep numbers up" and her response was "You will NOT receive a refund, let me reiterate you will not receive a refund". I had not asked about a refund at that time, I was attempting to understand the test results and see if, by chance, something had just gone wrong. I then requested that a retest be done from the already submitted samples or a new samples be done. She emphatically told me no, that she would not do it and I would not receive a refund. I then asked for her supervisor, she told me no.

I asked for who I can contact or email at headquarters or the CEO office. She told me she would not give me that information that I would only talk to her. She said she would see if her supervisor would email me within 3 days. When I asked who her supervisor was, she told me she could not tell me. I asked again who it was and she said "uh, Lilly". I know some people have received valuable information from this site, but I do not understand my results, the lack of its accuracy, or the rude and condescending attitude from the customer service which is the face of this company to the world. I do find it odd that the test was rushed but it isn't surprising when the results did not provide accurate or valuable information.

Oh the representative, said the results are good because we show that you match your daughter... What? I didn't need a DNA test to show I match my daughter. I had her, raised her, and I bought the kit for her and another family member as well as for myself in order to find UNKNOWN DNA matches!!! So, all in all, I don't have any faith in this company. I tried, really tried to explain to her, told her I would send her information to prove what I was saying to get some help and even asked for a redo so that someone would take their time. I was denied! This is not customer service.

Original review: May 6, 2018

I purchased a dna testing kit in Dec 2017 and sent in my saliva sample for processing. 2 mos later I'm told they were unable to process and to repeat the test at no charge to me. I repeated the test and yes, followed all instructions to a tee. Another month later, I was told could still not process and to request a refund, which I did. It's been another 2 mos and still no refund. I have called and emailed several times, but can't seem to get an answer as to when my refund will be processed. Instead I get a repeat email asking me for the same info that I have provided 3-4 times now. Very poor customer service and now I doubt the validity of their testing lab as well.

Original review: April 8, 2018

I bought a DNA analysis kit for my father as a gift for Father’s Day last year. He received a report by email around July 26, 2017 from the kit which was remarkably lacking in details. It did contain haplogroups and Neanderthal DNA, but completely missed the Native American ancestry. It claimed that he had 0 DNA relatives (my DNA has been in their database for many years). In order to get any more specific information, they included a request for another $25 for x and, $25 for y, etc. When we tried to link the accounts or share information on the website, we found that there is no DNA information in my father’s account and they claim to have never received or registered a kit.

I have been trying to get this resolved for several months, and while they have responded with somewhat generic emails and I have given them all the information they have asked for, nothing happens. It seems that the company business model has become a scheme for dragging small amounts of money out of people once they get that original hook. It really is starting to look like a scam to me.

Original review: March 7, 2018

DO NOT bet your life on the accuracy of FDA approval BRCA testing! I was tested for free by 23andMe some years back. For participating in an auto-immune study 23andMe was conducting. The SAME test that claimed I don't carry the BRCA gene ALSO said I have blue eyes. I do NOT! They are green, gold, brown... and have wondered ever since if my DNA was even tested. I strongly recommend you save your money and consider another route to determine whether you carry BRCA genes.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I would have liked a better explanation of which parts of northern Europe my genealogy is from. The explanations were not very specific – that is, Northern European could be the Scandinavian countries or northern Russia, Ireland, Iceland, England, etc. Also, they should provide more information about possible reasons why historically my genealogy might have developed to have a background that I was not aware of.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I really liked it and believe in it as it found relatives that came in the same village as my ancestors. I love knowing my genetic health. I love knowing even my earwax type. I am so damn proud to be Middle Eastern and many other ethnicities. I did get what I wanted to accomplish. I like knowing what I am and also knowing my probabilities of being overweight to how I am supposed to look. I also like that the genealogy website showed the relatives, the characteristics of my look and the updating of everything cause they have things to tell me like what other genes I carry for health issues. Talking to relatives is also awesome. However, it sucks by default that I can't get the male chromosome to go into more details. And also too bad it doesn't talk about Native American DNA. And it be nice to know which Middle Eastern countries and North African countries.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

The experience I had with 23andMe was extremely positive. The prices were reasonable, the directions were clear, and they were always available and willing to respond to any questions I may have had in a very timely manner. I received my results back in a timely manner and was very pleased with what I learned. The website is easy to navigate, isn't cluttered, and has a very modern feel to it that makes it more appealing, easier to approach, and more trusting when it comes to your money. The only thing I wasn't too big on was the "About Us" being at the bottom of the main page. It would benefit to have it at too for those of us who want to know more, but that's just a minor pet peeve.

23andMe expert review by Jami Barnett, Ph.D.

In 2015, 23andMe became the first company to receive authorization from the FDA to sell genetic testing directly to consumers. Get a DNA test with information about your ancestry for $99. Get the ancestry report and information about genetic factors related to your health for $199.

• Genetic health risks: If you choose, 23andMe will include reports about whether your genes indicate that you’re likely to suffer from a particular disease, early-onset Alzheimer's, in the future.

• Actionable health information: You’ll receive reports about your genetics that let you make changes to improve your health. Health reports include information about how alcohol and caffeine affect you and whether you’re genetically predisposed to be over- or underweight.

• Carrier status information: 23andMe provides information about whether or not you’re a carrier of 40 different genetic mutations, including cystic fibrosis, sickle cell anemia and Bloom syndrome. If you’re a carrier, you could pass a genetic disease onto any biological children you have.

• DNA relatives: Once you get your 23andMe results, you’ll have the option to share some of your personal information, such as your profile picture and initials, with users who are likely related to you.

• Additional retailers: Order a DNA kit from 23andMe or buy one at Amazon, Target, CVS or Best Buy. You’ll purchase the kit from the retailer for a small fee and then make a separate payment to 23andMe for the remainder of the cost of DNA testing.

• Best for: people looking for certain kinds of actionable health information; people looking for information about physical traits; and people interested in their carrier status of certain genetic mutations.

Profile picture of Jami Barnett, Ph.D.
Jami Barnett, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Jami Barnett, Ph.D., is an experienced researcher, and she believes consumers have a right to clear and honest information about products. In her role at ConsumerAffairs, she thoroughly researches products and companies by interviewing experts, reviewing research studies, reading governmental regulations and investigating customer service responses. Her work gives consumers the information they need to make smart purchasing decisions.

23andMe Company Information