2.72/5

Get matched with the best Home Security System.

23andMe

Get matched with the best Home Security System.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

23andMe Reviews

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

I am satisfied with my results. I had to send a second sample which was no problem. My results were pretty much what I expected. People who complain that they are 100% anything are not correct...many generations are considered and in attempting to understand the details of results. the 23andMe people were very helpful and patient on the phone. I knew I was a lot English and Irish, but was happy to find my great grandfather was Swiss and I had a trace ancestry of African. I had hoped to find something that was not the plain English and was happy. Also, they update the results as more people are tested. It takes a little effort to analyze or understand the different categories, but 23andMe will help. Yes, I wish I had known about a sale, but I am satisfied and think that many people don't know how to find all the results..

I discovered that I had not accessed all that was available. The only reason I did not give 5 stars is that there were no instructions to access all results or their meaning. If some people think their ancestors lived in the same place for many, many thousands of years and never moved or integrated, they don't understand the test. I will be happy to search the test and understand more.

Original review: May 22, 2019

I was skeptical at first because of the bad reviews but "so what", I thought. I gave it a shot and it was seamless. Not one problem and I got my results 2 weeks earlier than expected. I feel so much in touch with who I am and I feel great. Knowing the migration of my blood etc.. And who knew what I would find. Be prepared though, of what you may find. Fine line there but it is exciting. It will make you or break you. Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for like I did and it is only just begun. As technology gets better, So will 23andMe with their information being passed on to us.. God Bless. Xo

Get expert buying tips about DNA Testing and Ancestry Websites delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: March 9, 2019

I was so happy to learn about my ancestry from Europe. Based on the knowledge I already had about my ancestry, the reports are accurate. The report also confirmed which US states most of my relatives live. The health report was definitely on target. I highly recommend 23andMe if you want to learn more about yourself.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

My mother is mostly native Honduras, I am able to trace my 4 generations back to Spain. And my father is mostly English. 23andMe confirmed my ancestry! Even telling me specifically that I am native Honduran. I love that it is also accurately able to connect me with relatives.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I consider the price paid well worth the money. Since I purchased my kit over 3 years ago, there have been many sales, especially around Mother's Day, Father's Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas, which cuts the cost. If you purchase your kit when the sales are offered you are saving about half the cost of the kits. I have over 2400 matches and have contacted over 2200 relatives. Most have responded and I have made connections and have actually arranged to meet many of my previously unknown relatives. My mother tested as did my brother so I am able to tell which matches are maternal and which matches are paternal.

Additionally, I have located my grandson's mother's maternal and paternal relatives. She was an adoptee and prior to April 2017 had never met any of her biological relatives. She has now connected with numerous maternal relatives and had socially met with them. My grandson now has maternal cousins. I now have 2 daughters, a son-in-law, granddaughter, grandson-in-law, 2 nieces, a brother, a sister and many cousins who are actively testing as a result of my encouragement. I find that 23andMe is easier to navigate than AncestryDNA, but I find AncestryDNA useful as well. If there is anyone who would like hints on how to better improve their usage of their kit results, they may contact me at **.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 23andMe?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

I made up a name and didn’t give my real name. I’ve never used this name with ANYTHING....ever!. Even though I am satisfied with the genetic results, I’m now bombarded with email addressed to this fictitious name. Now I’m glad that I didn’t use my real name as I can confirm without doubt that 23 and Me sold my information. This is NOT ok with me.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

I got this kit Free so I decided to try it out. My results were totally incorrect. I have no Filipino blood. I am of Hawaiian ancestry which it does not even mention. The data is so way off that I am so glad I didn't purchase this kit. Then when I called customer service the girl didn't know what she was doing and put me on hold and then forgot why she put me on hold. I do NOT recommend purchasing this kit.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

The survey they sent was poorly designed. It went on and on when groups of issues could have been handled more succinctly. When a response to not fit well with their inept program, responding was impossible. I had no choice but to skip a poorly designed question. I will never recommend this service to anyone who asks. Contacting the organization is evidently impossible.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

I bought the health and Ancestry kit, but after I registered it as instructed, I got a message that I would not get the health report. In order to get it, I had to pay additional $$. I was surprised because I paid for that part and the product description clearly said Health and Ancestry kit. I called the customer care number to ask for a reason, was asked to send proof of payment and order date, etc. How ridiculous! Their whole system is not working properly. Very frustrated and disappointed. Had I read all the reviews before purchasing, I would not have bought another company's product.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

I joined in 2012 prior to the problems with the FDA. I bought the kit out of curiosity. They used a different genotype chip, and I am not certain that the new V5 chip is better in terms of ancestry or health- so I haven't purchased an "upgrade". I am a health care professional, and am familiar with genetics testing a little more than average. I'm basically warning people to take their raw data results with a grain of salt, like 23 dutifully says in their legal disclaimers. Health, of course, is a serious matter, and if you are concerned about something, find out more, if possible, about your family health history.

In addition, discuss it with a genetics counselor or your health care provider, and see if clinical testing is warranted. You may find different results and interpretations of those results. For example, They don't check for all the known genes that may increase one's breast cancer risk. By the way, "increased risk" of a disease via a single SNP may make your chances of getting the disease go from 1/10,000 to 1/5000- So a "2X higher risk" may be negligible, but may cause undue anxiety in some.

I don't trust my ancestry results that much, either. They've changed a few times since I started in 2012. I think it was partly because I didn't put down my known ancestral origins in the beginning, and when I did, it seemed like my "ancestry composition" changed shortly thereafter. It's fun, but as far as I know I have no ancestors from the Iberian Peninsula. Maybe I'll have a chat with mom...

In addition, you may inadvertently find a long-lost relative that you wish to remain "lost"-like my husband's estranged brother. I've cancelled my son's and my participation in relative sharing, because he'd likely see that my son is his nephew, or a close relative. I did see that some of my cousins are now participating, but I feel too uncomfortable corresponding with them- I'm kind of shy. They just used their initials, but I know exactly who they are. Other than that, it's been swell these past 7 years...

23andMe expert review by Jami Barnett, Ph.D.

In 2015, 23andMe became the first company to receive authorization from the FDA to sell genetic testing directly to consumers. Get a DNA test with information about your ancestry for $99. Get the ancestry report and information about genetic factors related to your health for $199.

• Genetic health risks: If you choose, 23andMe will include reports about whether your genes indicate that you’re likely to suffer from a particular disease, early-onset Alzheimer's, in the future.

• Actionable health information: You’ll receive reports about your genetics that let you make changes to improve your health. Health reports include information about how alcohol and caffeine affect you and whether you’re genetically predisposed to be over- or underweight.

• Carrier status information: 23andMe provides information about whether or not you’re a carrier of 40 different genetic mutations, including cystic fibrosis, sickle cell anemia and Bloom syndrome. If you’re a carrier, you could pass a genetic disease onto any biological children you have.

• DNA relatives: Once you get your 23andMe results, you’ll have the option to share some of your personal information, such as your profile picture and initials, with users who are likely related to you.

• Additional retailers: Order a DNA kit from 23andMe or buy one at Amazon, Target, CVS or Best Buy. You’ll purchase the kit from the retailer for a small fee and then make a separate payment to 23andMe for the remainder of the cost of DNA testing.

• Best for: people looking for certain kinds of actionable health information; people looking for information about physical traits; and people interested in their carrier status of certain genetic mutations.

Profile picture of Jami Barnett, Ph.D.
      Jami Barnett, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Jami Barnett, Ph.D., is an experienced researcher, and she believes consumers have a right to clear and honest information about products. In her role at ConsumerAffairs, she thoroughly researches products and companies by interviewing experts, reviewing research studies, reading governmental regulations and investigating customer service responses. Her work gives consumers the information they need to make smart purchasing decisions.

23andMe Company Information