2.80/5

92 23andMe Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

I am satisfied with my results. I had to send a second sample which was no problem. My results were pretty much what I expected. People who complain that they are 100% anything are not correct...many generations are considered and in attempting to understand the details of results. the 23andMe people were very helpful and patient on the phone. I knew I was a lot English and Irish, but was happy to find my great grandfather was Swiss and I had a trace ancestry of African. I had hoped to find something that was not the plain English and was happy. Also, they update the results as more people are tested. It takes a little effort to analyze or understand the different categories, but 23andMe will help. Yes, I wish I had known about a sale, but I am satisfied and think that many people don't know how to find all the results..

I discovered that I had not accessed all that was available. The only reason I did not give 5 stars is that there were no instructions to access all results or their meaning. If some people think their ancestors lived in the same place for many, many thousands of years and never moved or integrated, they don't understand the test. I will be happy to search the test and understand more.

Original review: May 22, 2019

I was skeptical at first because of the bad reviews but "so what", I thought. I gave it a shot and it was seamless. Not one problem and I got my results 2 weeks earlier than expected. I feel so much in touch with who I am and I feel great. Knowing the migration of my blood etc.. And who knew what I would find. Be prepared though, of what you may find. Fine line there but it is exciting. It will make you or break you. Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for like I did and it is only just begun. As technology gets better, So will 23andMe with their information being passed on to us.. God Bless. Xo

Get expert buying tips about DNA Testing and Ancestry Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 9, 2019

I was so happy to learn about my ancestry from Europe. Based on the knowledge I already had about my ancestry, the reports are accurate. The report also confirmed which US states most of my relatives live. The health report was definitely on target. I highly recommend 23andMe if you want to learn more about yourself.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I consider the price paid well worth the money. Since I purchased my kit over 3 years ago, there have been many sales, especially around Mother's Day, Father's Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas, which cuts the cost. If you purchase your kit when the sales are offered you are saving about half the cost of the kits. I have over 2400 matches and have contacted over 2200 relatives. Most have responded and I have made connections and have actually arranged to meet many of my previously unknown relatives. My mother tested as did my brother so I am able to tell which matches are maternal and which matches are paternal.

Additionally, I have located my grandson's mother's maternal and paternal relatives. She was an adoptee and prior to April 2017 had never met any of her biological relatives. She has now connected with numerous maternal relatives and had socially met with them. My grandson now has maternal cousins. I now have 2 daughters, a son-in-law, granddaughter, grandson-in-law, 2 nieces, a brother, a sister and many cousins who are actively testing as a result of my encouragement. I find that 23andMe is easier to navigate than AncestryDNA, but I find AncestryDNA useful as well. If there is anyone who would like hints on how to better improve their usage of their kit results, they may contact me at **.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

For my 48th birthday 8-24-18 I mailed my spit in... On 9-26-18 I had my results and in my results was all the answers I was looking for! I was able to find my biological father within 4 hours of receiving my results! He unfortunately had passed 3 years before but he has another daughter who I was able to be on the phone with within 6 hours of getting my results. So I highly recommend this company!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 23andMe?

Original review: July 18, 2019

I completed this over 2 years ago. They do not give you the results. You have to log into their site and have to retrieve the test results. When I tried to log in now they have purged my account and I no longer can see, share or compare my results with my family and friends. I feel this was misleading as they never said you cannot get the report without using their login site. Who wants to go thru that each time they want to reference back to it. Why would you ever delete me so I can no longer see it. I paid for it, it is Mine so why do I not have it. So disappointed. So please be mindful of this when making your decision.

Original review: July 3, 2019

23andMe provided me with my results and they were totally inaccurate. Most people do not take the time to complete their family trees, so they take what they are provide by 23andMe as face value. Lesson learned, do not trust what they provide you. I have completed my family tree back 10 generations and know for a fact then I am 100% from France and everyone migrated to Canada between 1620 and 1700. 23andMe shows my ancestry timeline as having people coming from England, Ireland, Greece, Italy and Spain. Which is not correct. Do not trust or believe the results they provide, they are most likely inaccurate. I have also used Ancestry.com and they are 100% accurate.

Original review: June 29, 2019

Paid for the test and sent samples as specified in the instructions. Spent a couple of hours answering ridiculous questions to be able to register. After a few weeks I was told my sample was inadequate and a second kit was sent. Same process again and sent the second sample. Again, after a few weeks I was told they could not extract enough DNA and that their lab could not give me results. They refuse even to refund my money and advised me to contact another company. I am considering getting my lawyer involved, it is going to cost more than what I can recover but I consider it a moral obligation to fight a scam like this and let other people go through the same experience. They are heavily advertising now to get more victims in their scam.

Original review: June 27, 2019

This is a bs rip off scam! First, lead times was ridiculous. They surveyed and the info I provided came back on the report. Imagine that, no relatives more than 3%. I was informed by my PC doctor that an Alzheimer's test does not even exist!! My children purchased this test for me and I requested a refund. Took multiple back and forth emails with their decision NOT to refund my children’s credit card as I am a dissatisfied purchaser. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!

Original review: June 26, 2019

What a waste of money. Very confusing. Got more information from Google. Family names not even mention. My parents were born in Scotland. Again nothing, but if you send more money they can look deeper. Save your money.

23andMe expert review by Jami Barnett, Ph.D.

In 2015, 23andMe became the first company to receive authorization from the FDA to sell genetic testing directly to consumers. Get a DNA test with information about your ancestry for $99. Get the ancestry report and information about genetic factors related to your health for $199.

• Genetic health risks: If you choose, 23andMe will include reports about whether your genes indicate that you’re likely to suffer from a particular disease, early-onset Alzheimer's, in the future.

• Actionable health information: You’ll receive reports about your genetics that let you make changes to improve your health. Health reports include information about how alcohol and caffeine affect you and whether you’re genetically predisposed to be over- or underweight.

• Carrier status information: 23andMe provides information about whether or not you’re a carrier of 40 different genetic mutations, including cystic fibrosis, sickle cell anemia and Bloom syndrome. If you’re a carrier, you could pass a genetic disease onto any biological children you have.

• DNA relatives: Once you get your 23andMe results, you’ll have the option to share some of your personal information, such as your profile picture and initials, with users who are likely related to you.

• Additional retailers: Order a DNA kit from 23andMe or buy one at Amazon, Target, CVS or Best Buy. You’ll purchase the kit from the retailer for a small fee and then make a separate payment to 23andMe for the remainder of the cost of DNA testing.

• Best for: people looking for certain kinds of actionable health information; people looking for information about physical traits; and people interested in their carrier status of certain genetic mutations.

Profile picture of Jami Barnett, Ph.D.
Jami Barnett, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Jami Barnett, Ph.D., is an experienced researcher, and she believes consumers have a right to clear and honest information about products. In her role at ConsumerAffairs, she thoroughly researches products and companies by interviewing experts, reviewing research studies, reading governmental regulations and investigating customer service responses. Her work gives consumers the information they need to make smart purchasing decisions.

23andMe Company Information