2. Miscellaneous

3.7/5 (170 ratings)

About 23andMe

23andMe Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 23andMe?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about 23andMe?

Original review: March 11, 2021

I purchased a kit for me and my wife 2 years ago, we were astounded that we were, after all, the ancestry we had believed all of our lives, and that the DNA test we did with Ancestry.com, was a fraud, as we had suspected when we got our results back from them several years ago, saying we were Romanian and Ukrainian, we are Irish and Italian, as the 23andme results showed. For years now, we have been getting updates about health problems we could face, and lo and behold, those things happened to us. We are very grateful to 23andme for their continued support.

Original review: March 3, 2021

Some of the testing they have conducted are specific to certain ethnic backgrounds and are, therefore, not relevant to my ethnic background. I was disappointed that the research was only specific to my maternal background. I would have to actually have a male member of my father’s family connect in order to get that info. My father died when I was four, and my paternal half-brother and I are not close (we’re not close, and he would never go for 23&Me). Discovering info relating to my paternal heritage is what was most important to me. I wasn’t interested in “connecting” to find more family. The thought of finding even more ne’r do wells on my mother’s side of the family does not appeal to me.

The continuous requests to complete and update health information gets to be a bit much at times. I know they need the data to make the system work, and I have kept up w/ it. But, if you sign up, you really need to understand that you must contribute data in order to make the system work. Overall, I have found the info on 23&Me to be appreciable, despite not finding it overtly specific to me.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

I love this kit and have been a repeat customer, having bought kits for friends and family as gifts. The results are easy to understand and allow for correcting more ambiguous results. I like that you can download the raw data and upload to other genealogy services. Anytime I experienced an issue (like when my boyfriend forgot to stabilize his sample before mailing it in), customer service was responsive and quick to help (they mailed him another kit and had his results processed at a closer lab so as to prevent further delays). Whenever new information, reports, or family members are available to view, you'll receive an update. I do wish the cost was lower because it would make it more accessible to more people, but there are programs that can help certain customers get tests for less or free. You can also upgrade to higher tiers if you want more features in the future. The more people that test, the more family you might find at your dinner table.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2021

I was an early adopter and liked some of their early website features. They went through a massive update few years ago and removed some of that original content. That was disappointing... They also do not connect family members correctly all the time. Example: my half-brother is sharing health/reports with me, flagged as my half brother in the system. When I want to see my father's line, 23and me reports that I need to connect with a family member like brother, etc. I am already connected. My half brother and I share the same father.. so, not sure the issue. Stuff like that is annoying. Still better than ancestry.com's version though....in my opinion.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

I ordered my kit to complete several years of working on my family tree. I ordered my kit throughout Amazon, which came in three days later. After returning my sample, I received my results within a month. I anticipated to use these results to validate some of the genealogy work I had completed over the years and perhaps with the help of 23andMe edit a few details. Apparently, the details were greater than I had anticipated. The results showed that I have a half sister, which I had NEVER expected. Not only my family tree but my entire life has changed for the better since. After analyzing the data delivered from 23andMe, I feel confident of their legitimacy and would confidently recommend them. I am sure that my new half sister would also agree ;). Best in your research everyone!

Resolution response: Sept. 9, 2021

23andMe have now sent me a new kit to replace the incorrect one I sent.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

Warning about this company - so far really bad customer service: I bought 2x ancestry and traits kits for my parents for their birthdays and 1x ancestry and health kit for me - all 3 arrived at my house without any labels on them identifying which one was which. I wasn’t sure if it was possible to assign which one I wanted after I had sent mine back to the lab. So I used and activated one of the kits and checked the app to see what I should do next. It looks like you have to send a kit specifically assigned to ancestry and health, impossible for me to know since there was no sticker labels on the kits I received.

I’ve sent numerous emails to Abby at 23andme’s customer service email but have been told there is nothing they can do now I have sent the wrong kit back to them. I think possibly 23andme made a mistake when sending me my kits as I can see on their Facebook page that some people have put photos of kits with sticker labels on identifying which kit is which - I have sent 23andme photos of the kits I received (that don’t have any labels)

Normally if a company makes a mistake - in this case the kits did not have stickers labelling which one is which - good customer service would rectify this - I suggested they send me another ancestry and health kit so I can do what I paid for but I’ve not heard anything back from them - I sent an email on Friday, and yesterday and both have been ignored it seems.

I did a previous post on their Facebook page saying this and the response was to send a message to their customer service email (this had already been done). Be careful with this company - I made the mistake of spending £300 on 3 kits - I hoped for better customer service to sort out this labeling error by them. At the moment I feel I’m being ignored.

Original review: May 6, 2021

I have relatives in the US and Europe that have taken the 23andMe DNA test. After reviewing the related people based on DNA results it is evident that the Canadian test and results do not include people/family from Europe and the USA. Relatives in both regions compared results and we could not find these relatives having taken the Canadian test, likewise the ones that have taken the European and USA test could not find Canadian relatives. For instance in both the USA and Europe I have many 2nd and 3rd cousins but yet they do not show up on my relatives list and I and my son do not show up on theirs. It is clear these three data bases are not shared and melded together. Example Krzysztof ** a second cousin living in Vienna does not show up as a relative and visa versa. Also many of his relatives, that are mine also do not show up on my DNA relatives.

Original review: April 23, 2021

Be careful with this company. Don't waste your money. Finally they sent me my report with a single line of information where I came from, without any demographic detail. I wrote to them requesting a refund and they tell me that since I already received the report, they cannot give me a refund. They also told me that they have not been able to determine my geographical background. So what is the test for if you can't get that information? In my opinion, it is a hoax. Stay away from this company.

Original review: April 13, 2021

AVOID - They got my medical history wrong. Familial conditions I am ‘unlikely’ to get I have. My uncle succumbed to it. They said I am unlikely to get Haemachromatosis. I have it. My uncle succumbed to it. They ripped me off disrespecting my deceased my uncle. Asked about my family + me + sent back same information. It should be a blank slate. SNAKE OIL SALESMEN. AVOID.

Original review: March 12, 2021

I feel completely misled by this company. I got my DNA analyzed five years ago and the technology since then has rendered those earlier results completely irrelevant. 23andMe will not update the results for free or re-analyze them for free, plus, like with everything nowadays, you sign your rights and privacy away when you utilize their service.

23andMe author review by Jami Barnett, Ph.D.

In 2015, 23andMe became the first company to receive authorization from the FDA to sell genetic testing directly to consumers. Get a DNA test with information about your ancestry for $99. Get the ancestry report and information about genetic factors related to your health for $199.

• Genetic health risks: If you choose, 23andMe will include reports about whether your genes indicate that you’re likely to suffer from a particular disease, early-onset Alzheimer's, in the future.

• Actionable health information: You’ll receive reports about your genetics that let you make changes to improve your health. Health reports include information about how alcohol and caffeine affect you and whether you’re genetically predisposed to be over- or underweight.

• Carrier status information: 23andMe provides information about whether or not you’re a carrier of 40 different genetic mutations, including cystic fibrosis, sickle cell anemia and Bloom syndrome. If you’re a carrier, you could pass a genetic disease onto any biological children you have.

• DNA relatives: Once you get your 23andMe results, you’ll have the option to share some of your personal information, such as your profile picture and initials, with users who are likely related to you.

• Additional retailers: Order a DNA kit from 23andMe or buy one at Amazon, Target, CVS or Best Buy. You’ll purchase the kit from the retailer for a small fee and then make a separate payment to 23andMe for the remainder of the cost of DNA testing.

by Jami Barnett, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Jami Barnett, Ph.D., is an experienced researcher, and she believes consumers have a right to clear and honest information about products. In her role at ConsumerAffairs, she thoroughly researches products and companies by interviewing experts, reviewing research studies, reading governmental regulations and investigating customer service responses. Her work gives consumers the information they need to make smart purchasing decisions.

23andMe Company Information