2.09/5

76 23andMe Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 19, 2019

I have enjoyed my 23andMe kit. However, as of yesterday they took out the percentage relationship from the relatives in common. This pretty much destroys my point in taking the test. You can't use it to triangulate where someone falls in your family tree. THIS WAS WHAT MADE THE TEST SO VERY MUCH BETTER THAN ANCESTRY. PLEASE PUT THE PERCENTAGE BACK IN.

Original review: April 5, 2019

I had sent the first DNA-kit to 23andMe at May 2018. After waiting for many weeks I got the message, that the test didn't work: "Sometimes it happens. We send you another one". Ok, that can happen, I thought. After a longer time of few month I repeated the test March 2019. Again came the same answer. Because I have made everything correctly, I got many doubts about this company. It can't be that the kit doesn't work twice. Very strange the procedure which has followed: I got an Email in which I should click a link for a Tango Card in order to get back my money. They didn't send it to the Paypal account from which I had paid. Under this Link was written something about a "spend". My Email account gave a warning about phishing, so that I left it. I think the company 23andMe isn't a respectable company and I don't hope getting back my money.

Get expert buying tips about DNA Testing and Ancestry Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 1, 2019

Told me not enough DNA. Sent a sample twice and I had to follow up! Needless to say they couldn’t get enough DNA and some people are like that! Unbelievable. They refunded the last time with another kit and now told me to go to another company because they tried and couldn’t do it! This company is ridiculous and I do not believe what they say. Probably lost the sample.

Original review: March 28, 2019

My daughter gave me a kit as a gift. I followed the directions thoroughly and sent it back. I get an email that they cannot extract any DNA. They send me another kit and I carefully collect another specimen. They send an email that they cannot extract DNA. I think mainly because they are totally incompetent! I apply for a refund but was told I do not qualify. So now they have ripped me off $199! Do Not Use them, they are incompetent rip offs!! Am I to believe that I have no DNA??!!

Original review: March 9, 2019

I was so happy to learn about my ancestry from Europe. Based on the knowledge I already had about my ancestry, the reports are accurate. The report also confirmed which US states most of my relatives live. The health report was definitely on target. I highly recommend 23andMe if you want to learn more about yourself.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 23andMe?

Original review: March 6, 2019

My daughter bought this kit a while back. We finally sent in out samples. We have traced our ancestry back to Germany and Italy. They say we have almost zero German ancestry. This is totally bogus. I also made the mistake of buying the health portion for $125. What a complete waste of time and money. None of the info had any significance in the report. If you are interested in finding out when your genes say you like to wake up in the morning then by all means pay the $125. I emailed for a refund and they told me there are no refunds. THIS IS A SCAM. STAY AWAY!!!

Original review: March 6, 2019

Their results say I’m 82% Irish and British - WRONG!!! I know my ancestry on both sides for the past 150 years - it is 100% Scottish for the past 150 years at least. I asked for a refund after getting the results, but they say that their refund policy is for one month only, even though it took two months to get to me.

Original review: March 4, 2019

Unlike all of the other complaints, mine is genuine. The test failed TWICE then they stole my money. Offered me some gift card to buy things online from a link I don't even trust to click. Steve, Tarina, Sophia - Escalations, Supervisors and Managers Terrible customer service, was left on a hold/mute game with one rep for more than 45 minutes. This was my second call after I was lied to by the supervisor about the time the escalations dept is available. Terrible Thieves - Will never get another penny from me!

Original review: March 2, 2019

It is my understanding that an individual inherits 50% of their genetics from each parent (with some consideration for the Y chromosome). My mother is German - the family have traced their ancestry, using birth/marriage records, to the 1400's. 23andMe informed me - wait for it - my German ancestry totals 6.2%. And even then, there is only a possibility I had German ancestry within the last 200 years. They cannot specify exactly where in the country we are from. In fact, we have been in Berlin for hundreds of years! They base their results on comparisons with individuals in their database. The total number of European individuals currently referenced in their database is 6500 (as of March 2019). Seriously flawed.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

This is a scam because their data and analysis is simply false. Avoid it. This is a scam. Totally worthless. Contains multiple falsehoods stated as facts. Google 23andme scam to get what scientists say. I should have read that first. I feel cheated and scammed.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

WARNING - DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER WASTING YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY ON THIS SERVICE! I purchased the full kit for my wife as an Xmas present. She was thrilled until she received the results. My wife is 6 generations French - her great grandmother is from Belgium. They were unable to detect either in their report. When she called to complain their agent advised that the data base in France or Belgium was not sufficient to determine her ancestry.

THE BOTTOM LINE - YOU AS THE CONSUMER ARE PAYING TO BUILD THEIR DATABASE - THEY SHOULD BE PAYING YOU INSTEAD! I am currently on hold waiting for a supervisor as I'm requesting a full refund for this inadequate service. Their agent kept reading from a predetermined script, repeating the same BS over and over again even though I asked on several occasions to speak to a supervisor. I'm now on a continuous stream of elevator music. I suspect they're hoping I will get tired and hang up. YOU ARE FOREWARNED!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I sent my sample in early January (the 10th I think). Initially I was emailed a notice my results would be ready January 30. That day came and went. Was emailed results would be February 4. That day came and went. No communication. I logged in and my account stated “results would be coming soon.” Received an email that results would be on 11th... Nothing. Then the 12th... Today an email stating the 13th. What a joke. Total disappointment and total crap. I would NOT recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I did this test to find my family in Europe. Had done a test with DNAtribes.com. Already knew my background. I didn't find my fathers DNA on test. They made me 279 Caveman from Siberia. I could have done this myself being a retired teacher and one eight American Indian. That the people crossed the Bering Strait from Siberia, Russia. They didn't have Celtic and Nordic information and made me African and 29 percent American Indian. I feel they do not have enough trials for people to attain their DNA. They really don't give you any markers. I would not recommend this test. It is a waste of money.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

I was the consumer but I've already ask 23andme to erase my account. I've no regret signing in nor permanently signing out of the fraudulent 23andme. You cannot learn anything without learning or knowing yours or other's mistakes. Everything they say has double meaning. You can use the company to find family members that much is true and that is all the company is capable of in reality. The state of California's government shouldn't of given 23andme a green light when there are many things they are not able to claim at the legal threshold of accuracy from all certified and accredited science/medical/genealogists/historian of all countries involved. They need to make it clear they are a research company and nothing more. We are all better off at Ancestry since they have actual factual history on paper throughout history.

Everybody that stays at 23andme will end up being just guinea pigs and later finds out that every so call health/composition that 23andme claims is accurate is irrelevant to the rest of the world of 7 billion people counting. If they tell you 10 thousand is a lot of people or even 6 million is a lot of people, then you need to travel the world more with big wide open eyes because that is a minute amount of people compared to 7 billion people.

For so call health genes they can only trace a couple links to it, so if yours turn up negative you can still be positive because they said only your doctor is able to determined more details. If that doesn't show up as a red flag to the majority of the public then we are all a bunch of idiots. 23andme welcomes all idiots/lost souls but if you found your soul like a lost family members with DNA Plus family historic paperwork that disproved many things they been trying to tell you about your family lineage be prepared to be shun by 23andme with their PR department all over you.

Nobody from the science nor history department of 23andme will be coming to defend themselves just the PR department which just proves even more that they cannot be trusted. 23andme is a research company and nothing more. They are banking on people looking for lost family members and the public idiots. Are there that many lost souls out there that are willing to sell the only soul they have to keep themselves breathing? Companies with high morals make it work for the public not the other way around, clearly 23andme is not qualified in that sense.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I got this as a Christmas gift. I did the swab and mailed it in. It came 2 weeks later. Seems like it is accurate. It could have been easier if they could pinpoint areas of ancestors. My mom did hers also. I am curious if I will have the same DNA from her side of the family. One thing I noticed that it could/could not correct on her part... The test said I was a little Spanish. My mom always said we were Native American as well as my other nationalities. It is possible I am not Native American. Maybe I AM Spanish as well. I also did find it difficult to find out how I am related to people who match my DNA. You have to do your own research and decide what side the relative is on. I am going to try Ancestry.com to see that experience as well. I like how Ancestry has the tree. You can see the relatives and how they fit into your family.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

I am so upset 23andMe LOST my 11 yr old son's kit, and proceeded to blame USPS for their error. I called and they told me they physically located the kit, and then said that was never the case a week after.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Shortly after sending my DNA to 23andMe I was talking with two other people that had also used the 23andMe services. Now this was within the first week of having mailed my sample off, and without suggesting or questioning anything one way or the other, both people cautioned me (a little late) about how 23andMe will drag things, changing the expected results due date with stories about backlogs and not enough DNA in the sample. All in all, I think 23andMe is more into collecting fees and building hype than providing results.

Because 23andMe has moved/charged the time twice now, because of this changing timeline, I don't know that I could or would trust any results provided by 23andMe. The “delays” cause me to believe 23andMe have issues with the way samples are processed and cause me to doubt the accuracy of anything 23andMe will provide. Now, seeing that 24andMe has failed to respond within 1-2 business days as stated in the auto-reply emails I received. Simply put, 23andMe charged for a service they could not provide. After calling and being transferred to a number of 23andMe departments, I was finally able to have my fees refunded and the DNA testing process (if it was even started) stopped.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

My mother is mostly native Honduras, I am able to trace my 4 generations back to Spain. And my father is mostly English. 23andMe confirmed my ancestry! Even telling me specifically that I am native Honduran. I love that it is also accurately able to connect me with relatives.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I consider the price paid well worth the money. Since I purchased my kit over 3 years ago, there have been many sales, especially around Mother's Day, Father's Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas, which cuts the cost. If you purchase your kit when the sales are offered you are saving about half the cost of the kits. I have over 2400 matches and have contacted over 2200 relatives. Most have responded and I have made connections and have actually arranged to meet many of my previously unknown relatives. My mother tested as did my brother so I am able to tell which matches are maternal and which matches are paternal.

Additionally, I have located my grandson's mother's maternal and paternal relatives. She was an adoptee and prior to April 2017 had never met any of her biological relatives. She has now connected with numerous maternal relatives and had socially met with them. My grandson now has maternal cousins. I now have 2 daughters, a son-in-law, granddaughter, grandson-in-law, 2 nieces, a brother, a sister and many cousins who are actively testing as a result of my encouragement. I find that 23andMe is easier to navigate than AncestryDNA, but I find AncestryDNA useful as well. If there is anyone who would like hints on how to better improve their usage of their kit results, they may contact me at **.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I ordered 2 kits on the site 4 days before Christmas because it said they would arrive on time for Xmas. Needless to say, the 24th rolls around and I see no notification that it was shipped. I call the place and they say that I have to call back on the 26th and that the tests haven't even left their facility. I was pissed because I trusted that they would arrive in time and hoped so too because they were gifts. Fast forward, it took 7 phone calls with different people who hardly speak English to be able to finally get a refund. This company is a scam. Also, I am glad this happened because the research I did, I don't think anyone should submit their DNA. BIG PRIVACY ISSUE.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I was so excited to buy the kit. I did exactly what it asked, I had a question called in and could hardly understand the person on the other end! I was questioning why the tracker was showing ALERT in red not able to deliver? I was told that it would be delivered to the North Carolina address instead!!! What??? It was mailed to the Phoenix Arizona address on THE BOX!!! I was told they are working with the post office on this matter! Really? It would take 2 to 4 more weeks! I am so mad. A human sample I sent to the address it says to mail to but the post office won't deliver to that address so they will re-route my package to North Carolina. I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS!!! Why was this not done before selling all these products? You have my saliva! Very very pissed.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

The results are so vague and broad based, I could have told them what they sent without a test. I complained and they replied that they couldn't differentiate between nationalities which was not my complaint. I am British and they lump in England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland together. Genetic tests do exist that can show Celtic, Nordic ancestry, etc. It appears 23andMe doesn't have the capability of conducting those tests. I purchased the kit at Walgreens.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

Having just received my Ancestry.com DNA test results I thought I'd order from 23andMe to see if they gave better results (not happy at all with Ancestry.com results - so vague and I could have told THEM where I was from without paying over $100). When I went to check out, the postage was USD39.99 - which included return postage. This is appalling. It cost me AUD8.80 to post my kit back to Texas (I am waiting on My Heritage results). Now having read the reviews here, I am not going to bother with this company. Sounds like they need a new customer service team.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

My son and I both received our kits at the same time and we mailed them off at the same time. 23andMe received and started the processing of our kits at the same time. My son's kit needed to be tested twice so we were expecting his kit's results to be delayed due to the retesting of his kit. Well, my son's results came back within two weeks and I question if the results are true. However, my kit is working on its 4th week and still no results and yet my kit was tested only once... I ordered an AncestryDNA test from Ancestry and my results came back within a little over two weeks and I paid less for this kit compared to 23andMe. I just wanted to see would my son and I be linked and if so what degree.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

My daughter asked me to participate in 23andMe. She did it, and said her results would be better if I did. I purchased an online kit for 138.95. The next day, I receive a shipping confirmation with a tracking number saying it would be delivered the next day. 2 days later, no package. I open the tracking number and discover it was delayed to an address in another town. After numerous back and forth emails, phone calls, and MORE emails and phone calls, they finally agree to refund me 129 dollars, for a package I NEVER RECEIVED!! This company is an absolute joke! I’m filing a BBB complaint.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Their website automatically processed an order, even when did not hit enter. Found a better deal on another site, which is why it was not completed. But to my surprise it processed... Called them immediately after receiving an alert to the charge, and rep said, "Since you did not receive a confirmation email, it is just a hold and will not ship". A week later it ships, and I receive a shipping notification. Called, emailed, submitted complaints, and no resolution. Keep getting template emails with no resolution.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I received a 23andMe kit from my wife as a gift. I sent in 2 samples that they could not or would not sample. After the second failure they recommended that I take a refund, which I agreed to. Then began a long laborious tedious email train where they asked for a receipt from Amazon. We ended with me telling them to pound sand and them telling me they could not refund anything without a receipt. These people are a total ripoff. Save your money and time and turn your gift back once you receive it. They are incapable of giving you a straight answer.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

My wife and I decided to do this together last year… We sent everything in and when results came back we were a bit stunned… My great great grandmother was Cherokee in Oklahoma, and I have no Cherokee DNA according to 23 and me, but, my wife has one percent Native American - go figure! A lot of information seems to be interesting, but not accurate… I have been adding information when questionnaires come out, and review my results periodically.

A couple of months ago I received a email about other family members who are related by DNA… My mother was the person they indicated I was related to her by DNA… Two weeks ago I got another email indicating that there were several people related by DNA and I could look them up. I attempted to log on and voila! My information is no longer there… I have emailed and called ad nauseam and the latest is that they want me to submit my passport to confirm my identity before they allow me access to the information I paid for. Not cool.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I spent $200 to learn things that anyone could tell me by searching Facebook. The results were wrong! To start with, I waited for 2 months after sending the sample which I had no idea that the processing time would be so long. Once I got the results they told me that I was Polish/French /Jewish and Ukrainian. First of all I have Asian ancestry but they told me that there was none, secondable I have a family in France that emigrated 20 years ago but are not French at all!

Then the health report was exactly opposite from the truth: I have a Parkinson's disease running in my family but they said there was none, instead they said Alzheimer’s and celiac which is completely not the case. Then they told me that I was a deep sleeper and constantly turn at night in the bed but I’m just the opposite - I sleep very light and never move at night! There were many more that were just wrong. I’m very frustrated because I paid for scam and there’s no way to get my money back!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

Results came in. Didn't know for sure where my heritage stemmed from. Based on the results, MORE CONFUSED!! On top of it all you would need to pay more in order to get sucked down this rabbit hole of a scam... Upset and feeling that I paid $200.00 for a pile of vague information that could have been found out through Google search. More upset, b/c I have a child on the way and was vulnerable to the wanting of answers for the next generation. Companies should be punished for such ill business ethics... What are the best paths for retrieving monetary loss due to preceptive advertisement?

23andMe expert review by Jami Barnett, Ph.D.

In 2015, 23andMe became the first company to receive authorization from the FDA to sell genetic testing directly to consumers. Get a DNA test with information about your ancestry for $99. Get the ancestry report and information about genetic factors related to your health for $199.

• Genetic health risks: If you choose, 23andMe will include reports about whether your genes indicate that you’re likely to suffer from a particular disease, early-onset Alzheimer's, in the future.

• Actionable health information: You’ll receive reports about your genetics that let you make changes to improve your health. Health reports include information about how alcohol and caffeine affect you and whether you’re genetically predisposed to be over- or underweight.

• Carrier status information: 23andMe provides information about whether or not you’re a carrier of 40 different genetic mutations, including cystic fibrosis, sickle cell anemia and Bloom syndrome. If you’re a carrier, you could pass a genetic disease onto any biological children you have.

• DNA relatives: Once you get your 23andMe results, you’ll have the option to share some of your personal information, such as your profile picture and initials, with users who are likely related to you.

• Additional retailers: Order a DNA kit from 23andMe or buy one at Amazon, Target, CVS or Best Buy. You’ll purchase the kit from the retailer for a small fee and then make a separate payment to 23andMe for the remainder of the cost of DNA testing.

• Best for: people looking for certain kinds of actionable health information; people looking for information about physical traits; and people interested in their carrier status of certain genetic mutations.

Profile picture of Jami Barnett, Ph.D.
Jami Barnett, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Jami Barnett, Ph.D., is an experienced researcher, and she believes consumers have a right to clear and honest information about products. In her role at ConsumerAffairs, she thoroughly researches products and companies by interviewing experts, reviewing research studies, reading governmental regulations and investigating customer service responses. Her work gives consumers the information they need to make smart purchasing decisions.

23andMe Company Information