Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.47/5

23andMe Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 23andMe?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about 23andMe?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2021

Ordered my kit from 23andMe.com directly and created the account at that time. Received the kit very fast. When I went to register the barcode to my account, the website errored and said the kit was registered to another account. I tried web chat customer service with no resolution so they “escalated” the issue. Then a few days later I tried the phone call to customer service and they had to “escalate” the issue. When they escalate an issue it Hager’s you off the phone and “someone will email you”.

The emails I received said the kit wasn’t associated to my email address which is simply restating my original complaint and closing a ticket. I suspect there are more than one account in their database related to my email address and I stated this to the service representatives. Neither rep even acknowledged that statement and the “escalation” department does not and will not speak to their customers. At this point, I feel they have scammed me and will pursue legal action to recoup money and the hours I’ve spent attempting to resolve it.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

Suggestion for the company: Be customer focused regarding what a customer is looking for when they pay to have a look at their Ancestry DNA. The only piece of information I was given was I was an Ashkenazi Jew and I have a .3% chance of having someone French or German in my family hundreds of years ago. I already knew I was an Ashkenazi Jew. Ashkenazi Jew is not an ethnicity, it is a religion. Ashkenazi means one’s ancestors were more eastern European. Nothing was mentioned regarding if I have relatives from Russia or Poland - I was told by family I have at least two generations from Russia and Poland. I was hoping to get some confirmation or a mini percentage to back up that claim but all 23andme gave me was a regional description: “Ashkenazi”.

The kit also gave me percentages regarding traits of mine such as the likelihood I have sticky earwax or a widows peak and more silly and uninteresting statistics. When I emailed 23andme them to share my disappointment I was sent a response suggesting I didn’t delve into the content deep enough. they subsequently emailed me more information about Ashkenazi Jews. I will not be recommending this company to anybody. I wasted my money purchasing 5- 23andme DNA tests for my family.

Get buying tips about DNA Testing and Ancestry Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2020

23andMe sucks. I did the test and it gave me 3.0 percent unassigned and then it gave me 6.0 percent unassigned. Did the test at MyHeritage. Got 55.4 Europe, 37.1 America and 7.4 Africa. That means 0.1 percent is missing.. I would much rather have 0.1 percent missing than 3.0 percent or 6.0 percent... Worst company and people say 23andMe is better than MyHeritage. Get out of here with that nonsense!!!!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2020

Ordered the test kit. Received it fairly quickly. Spit in the tube (my DNA sample), sent it back in the box and label provided on Friday December 4, entered the USPS system on the same day, and 2 weeks later, 23andme still has not received it. At one point USPS tracking said it was out for delivery on Monday December 14, but as of Friday December 18, it still has not delivered. It is USPS first class, and it only had to travel about 265 miles (from Alexandria VA to Burlington NC), but with 2 full weeks in the USPS system it still has not been delivered. As a result, I had 23andMe cancel my order and issue me a refund (that much I give credit to 23andme.) Then I explained why I cancelled. They replied to me that even though it it was USPS first class, it is treated differently by the USPS than other first class mail because the USPS handles 23andme mail differently, and that it is not unusual for it to take 2 to 4 weeks to arrive.

My problem is:

1. Because I do not remember ever being informed about this weird and unusual treatment in shipping my DNA sample back to 23andme, I ask: Why couldn't 23andme be upfront to me about the long shipping times and the fact that it will be treated differently (more like snail mail than first class) than normal USPS mail when I first bought the product or even before I sent the sample back to them? Why couldn't 23andme be more considerate and upfront to their customers?

2. With my package out for delivery on Monday December 14 and not delivered by Friday the 18th, I find it disrespectful and even suspicious to have my DNA sample in federal custody in a manner that it disappears for a long period of time!

For these reasons, I feel they deserve a one star and that customers should think twice before entrusting their DNA sample to 23andme. Caveat Emptor!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2020

Purchased genetic testing kit for my fiancee directly from 23andMe. They mailed one kit in late August, which she used and returned. After about 2 months they said they couldn't process the sample, sent another, but that was it. No further communication. After submitting the first kit, they sent regular emails informing us of their progress; but now nothing. Now it's November and we still have no results. Which makes me wonder if this is a scam; or if the company is just badly run.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

I was pleased at first because I wanted to know my ancient roots DNA. They send you an email informing you of new DNA relatives and when I investigated I found that 23andMe changed and erased my ancient DNA data (and data was correct) without my permission. They called it an 'update' and deleted it all. After a number of emails they stated they would not correct their mistake by reinstalling my data, nor was I offered a replacement DNA kit to replace what they permanently deleted.

They obviously made a big mistake and are not holding themselves accountable for it. Their business model is sub-par. People pay a lot of money for their service and they should be respectful of their clientele, but by their actions, they are not. Their business model is both shabby and shady. Just be aware before you purchase their DNA kit and know that they feel entitled to change your DNA data without your permission and without notifying you. This chink in their armor can have untold consequences. Your DNA is a very personal matter, yet they do not uphold that philosophy, which by the way, they state IS their philosophy.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2020

I gave this as a gift and my friend didn't use it because of their data-sharing policy. When I realized she hadn't used it some time had passed but I still could show proof of purchase and prove it was never used. They are trying to deny me a refund so I can get her another gift. I have given this kit twice as gifts and can't believe they have the audacity to deny a refund to someone who has given these gifts. I Do not recommend using them!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

I ordered my kit to complete several years of working on my family tree. I ordered my kit throughout Amazon, which came in three days later. After returning my sample, I received my results within a month. I anticipated to use these results to validate some of the genealogy work I had completed over the years and perhaps with the help of 23andMe edit a few details. Apparently, the details were greater than I had anticipated. The results showed that I have a half sister, which I had NEVER expected. Not only my family tree but my entire life has changed for the better since. After analyzing the data delivered from 23andMe, I feel confident of their legitimacy and would confidently recommend them. I am sure that my new half sister would also agree ;). Best in your research everyone!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

This company's claim, to be able to trace our ancestors, is a complete lie. When I received my results I was shocked that their ancestry timeline stopped at 1780 and my most recent ancestry (north African) only dated back to 1930? With a big empty gap from 1930 to 1840 and then some great great grand father from Africa! This company doesn't disclose its ability to only trace back your ancestors to less than a 100 years ago and considers generational gaps to be of 30 years, which to me means they are telling me where my grand father came from! Wow, I really needed to pay 100$ to know that! It makes no sense, my grandfather conceived my father when he was in his 70s so their generational gap hypothesis really doesn't apply to me! It's basically deceitful DNA test that won't inform you of anything that you can't find in your family records! And the illegal part is that this information is NOT DISCLOSED anywhere when ordering their Kit!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2020

23andme staff is rude, stubborn and unprofessional. I purchased kit from a local vendor, shipped the sample kit, but they did not accept my sample kit, saying that I bought it from Amazon, and I should provide Amazon purchase receipt and ID in order to get the refund. When I told them that I did not buy it from Amazon, but I bought it from local seller, I also humbly requested them to provide the results of my sample, they refused to give the refund, and they said:

1. "Ask refund from your local seller."

2. If local seller does not give refund, open a dispute case with my credit card company.

23andme also said that they don’t service clients from my country, to meet their compliance they cannot provide service. How come a customer knows about 23andme policies? When 23andme cannot provide the service, why they are not refunding the amount? Are not they cheater? 23andme cares about their compliance a lot, but it does not care its customers money and time. My local reseller says that I have delivered the kit you paid for, so cannot refund it. My card company says you purchased a product, it was delivered, and we cannot open a dispute case. I wasted my time, energy and money to get 23andme service. It was a terrible experience dealing with 23andme.

23andMe author review by Jami Barnett, Ph.D.

In 2015, 23andMe became the first company to receive authorization from the FDA to sell genetic testing directly to consumers. Get a DNA test with information about your ancestry for $99. Get the ancestry report and information about genetic factors related to your health for $199.

• Genetic health risks: If you choose, 23andMe will include reports about whether your genes indicate that you’re likely to suffer from a particular disease, early-onset Alzheimer's, in the future.

• Actionable health information: You’ll receive reports about your genetics that let you make changes to improve your health. Health reports include information about how alcohol and caffeine affect you and whether you’re genetically predisposed to be over- or underweight.

• Carrier status information: 23andMe provides information about whether or not you’re a carrier of 40 different genetic mutations, including cystic fibrosis, sickle cell anemia and Bloom syndrome. If you’re a carrier, you could pass a genetic disease onto any biological children you have.

• DNA relatives: Once you get your 23andMe results, you’ll have the option to share some of your personal information, such as your profile picture and initials, with users who are likely related to you.

• Additional retailers: Order a DNA kit from 23andMe or buy one at Amazon, Target, CVS or Best Buy. You’ll purchase the kit from the retailer for a small fee and then make a separate payment to 23andMe for the remainder of the cost of DNA testing.

by Jami Barnett, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Jami Barnett, Ph.D., is an experienced researcher, and she believes consumers have a right to clear and honest information about products. In her role at ConsumerAffairs, she thoroughly researches products and companies by interviewing experts, reviewing research studies, reading governmental regulations and investigating customer service responses. Her work gives consumers the information they need to make smart purchasing decisions.

23andMe Company Information