Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.53/5

23andMe Reviews

Original review: June 22, 2020

My son purchased the DNA kit many years ago. It was very informative at first. Then they took all of the valuable information away, and want you to purchase a new kit to get back all of the initial information. Now there seems to be a glitch, and I can’t even get into my account. I tried contacting them with no response to my email.

Original review: June 7, 2020

I was ordering a DNA kit when my phone glitched and closed out during checkout. I opened it back up and it seemed to not go through. So I resubmitted. Was double charged and have not been able to get a response back for a refund for second charge after 3 attempts. They are thieves.

Get buying tips about DNA Testing and Ancestry Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 9, 2020

I paid for the health profile in addition to people. $169. I received basically no information that I didn't already know. The genetic origins were so obscure. The website is very difficult to use. I tried to add more members to family tree & could not access it. It said to answer a few question but no questions showed. I think it is totally worthless. I am very disappointed. If anyone has received information I would like to know how they did it.

Original review: April 16, 2020

I purchased a kit for myself and set up an account and got my results. When my father was in hospice care I got another kit as we all wanted to have the oldest male genetic line so we could compare it with the rest of our results. At that time, 23andMe wouldn't let me register the account with my email because there was already an account with that email. I used my father's email thinking that it would just be used as a login. After my father passed away his email account was closed, along with all other accounts. Now, 23andme won't allow me to access the account I purchased and set up because I no longer have access to that email.

I contacted customer service but they want a court certified copy of the will. Since there was a trust there is only a pour-over will. Everything was properly titled in the trust so we didn't go to court with the will as there was no reason to - that is the whole point of estate planning - to avoid the courts and probate. They want a court certified death certificate and Court certified Letters of Testamentary - again which we don't have because it was a trust. Now with the Covid lockdown and my father died in California and I live in Massachusetts. To get the documents I would have to fly to California for the court certified documents. I understand the need for privacy but this is a lot of red tape.

Original review: March 22, 2020

The test said I am 100% European. 58% North Western European. That tells me nothing. There have been many ethnic groups in the area. Gaul, Pict, Roman, Saxon, Viking. The viking part is covered as it said I have .04% Scandinavian with a small part of German and Spain. I already knew the region my ancestors came from. I wanted to know who (what ethnic people is dominant). Telling me I am 58% North Western European tell me nothing.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 23andMe?

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

I received a DNA test kit as a gift, I would not have purchased it on my own. The reason is I have cousins from three different wings of the family who spent years researching our family history. I have a binder of data five inches thick that goes back centuries. The results from 23andMe are vague and inaccurate. I don’t need a test to tell me what countries my ancestors “likely came from,” when I’ve got the facts that include names, cities, and dates. I’m sure some people might like to find other relatives they didn’t know about, but I don’t recommend this as a productive use of money.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2020

I did my DNA testing with the 23 and Me, after I did the testing with DNA Ancestry to compare different DNA strands, and also to verify health issues. The family tree does not allow you to add family members. I contacted the company months ago, and they said they are working on it. Also, the health issue is based on your answers on the survey.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

I have been trying to get into my site for a year. It is unfortunately set up incorrectly. I wanted to change my email address because my previous one had been hacked. It wouldn’t let me. When I spoke to them they said to send them my original passport or drivers license to prove who I was. I do not send those items to anyone. As a result I cannot get in. They already have enough information on my site that can prove who I am, my age, address etc. I can’t believe it. So, I’m just out of my money and out of my information. Also, they will not give me my money back. Sad state of affairs when I only wanted to change my email address.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

I bought for Christmas to me and my family but my DNA sample got lost on its way to the lab. So no christmas gift this year. I waited for one month and then wrote them what's up and the answered that it seemed that the dna got lost. I got my money back but still I didn't expect this to happen.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

If you don't keep your bar code and/or receipt and you can't remember the email you registered your kit under, you are unable to get results using your name and birthday (the 2 things that never change). Ridiculous that they use your results for their data base, which is fine, but to be unable to help your first line of customers after substantial time has passed, shows a lack of respect and regard for the customers who helped provide data for the company.

23andMe author review by Jami Barnett, Ph.D.

In 2015, 23andMe became the first company to receive authorization from the FDA to sell genetic testing directly to consumers. Get a DNA test with information about your ancestry for $99. Get the ancestry report and information about genetic factors related to your health for $199.

• Genetic health risks: If you choose, 23andMe will include reports about whether your genes indicate that you’re likely to suffer from a particular disease, early-onset Alzheimer's, in the future.

• Actionable health information: You’ll receive reports about your genetics that let you make changes to improve your health. Health reports include information about how alcohol and caffeine affect you and whether you’re genetically predisposed to be over- or underweight.

• Carrier status information: 23andMe provides information about whether or not you’re a carrier of 40 different genetic mutations, including cystic fibrosis, sickle cell anemia and Bloom syndrome. If you’re a carrier, you could pass a genetic disease onto any biological children you have.

• DNA relatives: Once you get your 23andMe results, you’ll have the option to share some of your personal information, such as your profile picture and initials, with users who are likely related to you.

• Additional retailers: Order a DNA kit from 23andMe or buy one at Amazon, Target, CVS or Best Buy. You’ll purchase the kit from the retailer for a small fee and then make a separate payment to 23andMe for the remainder of the cost of DNA testing.

by Jami Barnett, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Jami Barnett, Ph.D., is an experienced researcher, and she believes consumers have a right to clear and honest information about products. In her role at ConsumerAffairs, she thoroughly researches products and companies by interviewing experts, reviewing research studies, reading governmental regulations and investigating customer service responses. Her work gives consumers the information they need to make smart purchasing decisions.

23andMe Company Information