Take a quiz, get matched with an Accredited Partner!

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.32/5

23andMe Reviews

Original review: March 22, 2020

The test said I am 100% European. 58% North Western European. That tells me nothing. There have been many ethnic groups in the area. Gaul, Pict, Roman, Saxon, Viking. The viking part is covered as it said I have .04% Scandinavian with a small part of German and Spain. I already knew the region my ancestors came from. I wanted to know who (what ethnic people is dominant). Telling me I am 58% North Western European tell me nothing.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

I received a DNA test kit as a gift, I would not have purchased it on my own. The reason is I have cousins from three different wings of the family who spent years researching our family history. I have a binder of data five inches thick that goes back centuries. The results from 23andMe are vague and inaccurate. I don’t need a test to tell me what countries my ancestors “likely came from,” when I’ve got the facts that include names, cities, and dates. I’m sure some people might like to find other relatives they didn’t know about, but I don’t recommend this as a productive use of money.

Get expert buying tips about DNA Testing and Ancestry Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2020

I did my DNA testing with the 23 and Me, after I did the testing with DNA Ancestry to compare different DNA strands, and also to verify health issues. The family tree does not allow you to add family members. I contacted the company months ago, and they said they are working on it. Also, the health issue is based on your answers on the survey.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

I have been trying to get into my site for a year. It is unfortunately set up incorrectly. I wanted to change my email address because my previous one had been hacked. It wouldn’t let me. When I spoke to them they said to send them my original passport or drivers license to prove who I was. I do not send those items to anyone. As a result I cannot get in. They already have enough information on my site that can prove who I am, my age, address etc. I can’t believe it. So, I’m just out of my money and out of my information. Also, they will not give me my money back. Sad state of affairs when I only wanted to change my email address.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

I bought for Christmas to me and my family but my DNA sample got lost on its way to the lab. So no christmas gift this year. I waited for one month and then wrote them what's up and the answered that it seemed that the dna got lost. I got my money back but still I didn't expect this to happen.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 23andMe?

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

If you don't keep your bar code and/or receipt and you can't remember the email you registered your kit under, you are unable to get results using your name and birthday (the 2 things that never change). Ridiculous that they use your results for their data base, which is fine, but to be unable to help your first line of customers after substantial time has passed, shows a lack of respect and regard for the customers who helped provide data for the company.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2020

NEVER EVER BUY FROM THEM - they only use your data when you conduct the surveys within their app and then do not even tell you your results but instead rip you off and do not give you your money back!!! This is the worst experience I and the people I gave this as a present ever had!!! Read details below. I ordered three health kits in the UK, one for me and two as a Christmas present. As we flew to Germany for our vacation and celebrated it there, I also took the 23andme kits with me - as they were presents. On Christmas eve we did the test and conducted all of their surveys online within the app which took us three hours - so our profiles were set.

23and me says free shipping - as we wanted to get our results as fast as possible we send the kits back from Germany. And since it did not specify a country but only said free delivery we thought we were on the safe side. This turned out to be a mistake. Okay can happen. But here is what happened then: After 3 weeks I contacted the customer support in order to find out whether our kits arrived or not. Guess what I got as a response... Mary and Megan and Eric (nice that you have one single contact person... WOW!) invalidated our sample kits and blocked our profile. W.O.W. this is what you get for contacting customer support?!?! They said we were in Germany and it is not allowed there. Lucky that we are living in the UK I thought... well...

Now being back in the UK (all of us of course!) I wrote back and forth with them for over one month now but they basically do not read the content of my mails but continued sending me a link to the way lower priced Ancestry + Traits kit (which is of no use for use). Again WOW.... seriously - how stupid can one be? Why should I order this kit with literally no info compared to the health kits and be fine with it, when I live in the UK and ordered the health kits??? As this was really getting on my nerves I said they should refund me the amount of my order and guess what? They only refunded me the amount of one kit even though I ordered 3... WOW?!?! What a rip-off!!! This is so ridiculous...

So thank you 23and me for not only ruining my Christmas presents but also for ripping me off and wasting my previous time and especially my energy!!! I am still waiting for a solution and my money back... So to sum it up again: NEVER EVER BUY FROM THEM - they only use your data when you conduct their surveys within the app and then do not even tell you your results but instead rip you off and do not give you your money back!!! This is the worst experience I and the people I gave this as a present ever had!!!!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I'm appalled to learn that 23andMe cannot provide me a replacement copy of my labs. I had the exam done a few years ago, never provided my email address. I have a name that is unique, there isn't more than one person in the US with my name and date of birth combination. I'm particularly concerned since they can provide my name/information to Ancestry/Law Enforcement etc.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

I purchased 2 kits for my parents as Christmas gifts in mid November 2019. Since we spent christmas overseas, I waited until January 12 to collect the specimens so I would put it in the mail once in the United States. To my surprise, the kits were already expired. I contacted their customer service department and after a frustrating conversation, the agent refunded my money. Not only I ended up with a useless chritsmas gift for my parents but I ended up feeling insulted when the agent decided to refund my money "as a one time thing courtesy", like if this was my fault. I cannot believe how incompetent this company acts.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

After my daughter purchased a complete kit for the family including me and my wife, they replied asking me for a second sample because their laboratory tried to extract DNA from my sample, but unfortunately the concentration wasn't high enough to meet their standards!!!. Wow I have never heard something like that before. I'm sure they misplaced my sample and they came up with that false statement. What a waste time with these unprofessional company.

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

23andMe expert review by Jami Barnett, Ph.D.

In 2015, 23andMe became the first company to receive authorization from the FDA to sell genetic testing directly to consumers. Get a DNA test with information about your ancestry for $99. Get the ancestry report and information about genetic factors related to your health for $199.

• Genetic health risks: If you choose, 23andMe will include reports about whether your genes indicate that you’re likely to suffer from a particular disease, early-onset Alzheimer's, in the future.

• Actionable health information: You’ll receive reports about your genetics that let you make changes to improve your health. Health reports include information about how alcohol and caffeine affect you and whether you’re genetically predisposed to be over- or underweight.

• Carrier status information: 23andMe provides information about whether or not you’re a carrier of 40 different genetic mutations, including cystic fibrosis, sickle cell anemia and Bloom syndrome. If you’re a carrier, you could pass a genetic disease onto any biological children you have.

• DNA relatives: Once you get your 23andMe results, you’ll have the option to share some of your personal information, such as your profile picture and initials, with users who are likely related to you.

• Additional retailers: Order a DNA kit from 23andMe or buy one at Amazon, Target, CVS or Best Buy. You’ll purchase the kit from the retailer for a small fee and then make a separate payment to 23andMe for the remainder of the cost of DNA testing.

• Best for: people looking for certain kinds of actionable health information; people looking for information about physical traits; and people interested in their carrier status of certain genetic mutations.

by Jami Barnett, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Jami Barnett, Ph.D., is an experienced researcher, and she believes consumers have a right to clear and honest information about products. In her role at ConsumerAffairs, she thoroughly researches products and companies by interviewing experts, reviewing research studies, reading governmental regulations and investigating customer service responses. Her work gives consumers the information they need to make smart purchasing decisions.

23andMe Company Information