2.90/5

Need a home alarm?

Need a home alarm?

23andMe Reviews

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

I am satisfied with my results. I had to send a second sample which was no problem. My results were pretty much what I expected. People who complain that they are 100% anything are not correct...many generations are considered and in attempting to understand the details of results. the 23andMe people were very helpful and patient on the phone. I knew I was a lot English and Irish, but was happy to find my great grandfather was Swiss and I had a trace ancestry of African. I had hoped to find something that was not the plain English and was happy. Also, they update the results as more people are tested. It takes a little effort to analyze or understand the different categories, but 23andMe will help. Yes, I wish I had known about a sale, but I am satisfied and think that many people don't know how to find all the results..

I discovered that I had not accessed all that was available. The only reason I did not give 5 stars is that there were no instructions to access all results or their meaning. If some people think their ancestors lived in the same place for many, many thousands of years and never moved or integrated, they don't understand the test. I will be happy to search the test and understand more.

Original review: May 22, 2019

I was skeptical at first because of the bad reviews but "so what", I thought. I gave it a shot and it was seamless. Not one problem and I got my results 2 weeks earlier than expected. I feel so much in touch with who I am and I feel great. Knowing the migration of my blood etc.. And who knew what I would find. Be prepared though, of what you may find. Fine line there but it is exciting. It will make you or break you. Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for like I did and it is only just begun. As technology gets better, So will 23andMe with their information being passed on to us.. God Bless. Xo

Get expert buying tips about DNA Testing and Ancestry Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 9, 2019

I was so happy to learn about my ancestry from Europe. Based on the knowledge I already had about my ancestry, the reports are accurate. The report also confirmed which US states most of my relatives live. The health report was definitely on target. I highly recommend 23andMe if you want to learn more about yourself.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

My mother is mostly native Honduras, I am able to trace my 4 generations back to Spain. And my father is mostly English. 23andMe confirmed my ancestry! Even telling me specifically that I am native Honduran. I love that it is also accurately able to connect me with relatives.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

I consider the price paid well worth the money. Since I purchased my kit over 3 years ago, there have been many sales, especially around Mother's Day, Father's Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas, which cuts the cost. If you purchase your kit when the sales are offered you are saving about half the cost of the kits. I have over 2400 matches and have contacted over 2200 relatives. Most have responded and I have made connections and have actually arranged to meet many of my previously unknown relatives. My mother tested as did my brother so I am able to tell which matches are maternal and which matches are paternal.

Additionally, I have located my grandson's mother's maternal and paternal relatives. She was an adoptee and prior to April 2017 had never met any of her biological relatives. She has now connected with numerous maternal relatives and had socially met with them. My grandson now has maternal cousins. I now have 2 daughters, a son-in-law, granddaughter, grandson-in-law, 2 nieces, a brother, a sister and many cousins who are actively testing as a result of my encouragement. I find that 23andMe is easier to navigate than AncestryDNA, but I find AncestryDNA useful as well. If there is anyone who would like hints on how to better improve their usage of their kit results, they may contact me at **.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 23andMe?

Original review: Oct. 13, 2019

I have been doing genealogical work for 47 years and pretty much know my origins. I know some linguistics, history of areas and movements of peoples. I was 75% satisfied with the information that I know is most probably correct. I then got hampered by the medium they provide so that one can contact the person. There is a box provided. I never could get back into that box. It would not accept my cursor. Forgot to add some surnames in which was interested. I never was able to enter additional names. My cursor was not accepted. I suggest that those who use this contact box first put their e-mail address, phone number, address, or something where one can make contact with each other, again in the first sentence.

I find there is limited room. It is hard to find a place or number where one can get help from 23andMe. What am I doing wrong? After a 45 min. searching, I found one place to give comments or ask a question, and there was never any return back. There doesn't seem to be any customer service via online. All I can find is a phone number to purchase the service. And I am going to try this, but I have little hope after I see some of way other customers have been treated. I also feel that many people do this for fun and really are not interested in genealogical connections. I got 1,069 surnames, and contacted 10 on the second cousin/third cousin level as I recognized surnames. I heard from two very interested, people but I am unable to contact them again. Some people are a little leery about initially giving out some information initially. 23andMe gives one advice about initial contact letters, but they don't tell how to use them as a go-between.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

Both of my paternal grandparents were born in Pomerania which was a part of Germany until 1945 when nearly all of the eastern third of Germany was sliced off to become parts of Poland and Russia. Pomerania had been German for centuries prior to 1945. However, since 23andme seems to only recognize current national borders, they mistakenly report my paternal ancestors were Polish. Attempts to communicate with 23andme about this have been unsuccessful. Beware of 23andme's inaccurate history and geography and their unwillingness to address the issue!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

Please be aware this kit is not shipped discreetly - it will arrive with your normal post wrapped in clear shrink wrap. This could be an issue for some people, for different reasons, eg. purchasing it as a gift to give to somebody in your household at a later date. Or, an adopted person who still lives at home wishing to privately research their ancestry.

I ordered this kit from 23andMe website (EU - Ireland site). There was absolutely no indication or warning that the kit would arrive on full display for all in my household to see. (Even Amazon purchases are packed in cardboard boxes!) There was also no option to request 'discreet packaging' when I was ordering, despite what some cheerleaders of the company tried to claim.

I did complain to the company but received a cut & paste type reply. Their flippant regard for customers privacy became a concern for me, and I felt uncomfortable with the idea of them holding my sensitive personal data - DNA. So, I requested a refund which was processed very quickly, the money was back in my account within a few days. I didn't have to send the unused kit back.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

I'm getting sick of all the mess during my 23andme process. I ordered 23andme box at the same time than my friend and I received it 1 week before him. Still he got his FINAL DNA RESULTS and I just got a message about failed sample extraction. (Why my sample was still at the first step, why do they do with my parcel in the Netherlands seriously.) I started in beginning of July, we are in September. I had to wait 10 days to got my replacement box instead of 4,5 days. Because I contacted the customer care about the delay they canceled my box and send it me again. (ANOTHER WEEK TO WAIT.)

One day I received finally my replacement box to learn after sent it that it was my first BOX. So now I have to send my sample for the third time. The customer service is really fast but is it useful, I don't know. I CANNOT even following my parcel. I'm from Europe and my box has to come to The Netherlands because it's shipped to USA, so it's TOO LONG. I would not know if they throw it.

Original review: July 18, 2019

I completed this over 2 years ago. They do not give you the results. You have to log into their site and have to retrieve the test results. When I tried to log in now they have purged my account and I no longer can see, share or compare my results with my family and friends. I feel this was misleading as they never said you cannot get the report without using their login site. Who wants to go thru that each time they want to reference back to it. Why would you ever delete me so I can no longer see it. I paid for it, it is Mine so why do I not have it. So disappointed. So please be mindful of this when making your decision.

23andMe expert review by Jami Barnett, Ph.D.

In 2015, 23andMe became the first company to receive authorization from the FDA to sell genetic testing directly to consumers. Get a DNA test with information about your ancestry for $99. Get the ancestry report and information about genetic factors related to your health for $199.

• Genetic health risks: If you choose, 23andMe will include reports about whether your genes indicate that you’re likely to suffer from a particular disease, early-onset Alzheimer's, in the future.

• Actionable health information: You’ll receive reports about your genetics that let you make changes to improve your health. Health reports include information about how alcohol and caffeine affect you and whether you’re genetically predisposed to be over- or underweight.

• Carrier status information: 23andMe provides information about whether or not you’re a carrier of 40 different genetic mutations, including cystic fibrosis, sickle cell anemia and Bloom syndrome. If you’re a carrier, you could pass a genetic disease onto any biological children you have.

• DNA relatives: Once you get your 23andMe results, you’ll have the option to share some of your personal information, such as your profile picture and initials, with users who are likely related to you.

• Additional retailers: Order a DNA kit from 23andMe or buy one at Amazon, Target, CVS or Best Buy. You’ll purchase the kit from the retailer for a small fee and then make a separate payment to 23andMe for the remainder of the cost of DNA testing.

• Best for: people looking for certain kinds of actionable health information; people looking for information about physical traits; and people interested in their carrier status of certain genetic mutations.

Profile picture of Jami Barnett, Ph.D.
      Jami Barnett, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Jami Barnett, Ph.D., is an experienced researcher, and she believes consumers have a right to clear and honest information about products. In her role at ConsumerAffairs, she thoroughly researches products and companies by interviewing experts, reviewing research studies, reading governmental regulations and investigating customer service responses. Her work gives consumers the information they need to make smart purchasing decisions.

23andMe Company Information