3.4/5 (134 ratings)

About 23andMe

23andMe Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 23andMe?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about 23andMe?

Original review: July 3, 2022

I am a customer of 23andMe. I order 3 kits with them. I do not receive updates for my ancestry feature. I reached several times to customer support and they do not help. I have the impression that this is a waste of money. Customer support do not work in 23andMe.

Original review: June 3, 2022

I sent out our kits four and a half weeks ago. The tracking information is unavailable and the customer service was completely unhelpful. They don’t care about helping me find my shipment and only wanted to send a new one and make me wait even longer. Only one solution to an issue that has probably happened before. They also didn’t refund me the correct amount. They only want to make money at this point. I was so excited to learn about my ancestry. I’ll just try a different company. If you order pray nothing goes wrong because they WILL NOT HELP YOU.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 29, 2022

1) They lie and say they are in California until one tells you they are in the Philippines.

2) They blame the customer even when you have evidence as proof!
    3) They do not listen nor do they care what you have to say… No supposedly escalating your issue will not help you as the supervisors are unprofessional.
    4) They lie about the procedure.

5) There is no other easy way of contacting the company so Customer Service agents and reps get away with their unprofessionalism as no senior management will ever know.

You might as well beat your head against the wall as it would be more fun!

Original review: April 24, 2022

The test is OK, as advertised, but it doesn't provide me with new knowledge about my ancestry. I already got the same breakdown from other sites, so this was a bit boring. I am interested in my more ancient past now for my research. I took the Bronze Age DNA test (GenePlaza), which was a lot of fun, but I want to learn more. I am happy if anyone knows companies that provide home ancient DNA tests.

Original review: March 28, 2022

I've had an okay experience with this site, but I signed in today and some random person was put in as my maternal grandmother! I knew my maternal grandmother and all my grandparents and great grandparents. This person is in no way even related.

Original review: March 22, 2022

Asked for a refund for a test my mom paid $125.00 a extra genetic results. Thought it would goes off of her DNA, not so fast. You have to do a survey and your answers are based on what you click on. It isn't personal like they claim it to be. Nothing in the "genetic results" showed anything pertinent to her. Called to see if we can get a refund, customer service was extremely rude. You cannot talk a supervisor due only being emailed, that definitely shows something on their company. Will Not Do Business Again!!!

Original review: March 20, 2022

The original results made sense, fit the general profiles from known ancestors and countries of origin. Then some time later new results were posted because, as it was explained, new algorithms were developed. They changed my mother from her mostly Germanic background to being 57% Norwegian. My father remained nearly 100% Norwegian. I'm extremely grateful I received the first review so I remain certain I am related to my 5 siblings! It should have bothered the company to have such a dramatic change. I suggested an error but they're absolutely sure that's not possible. They should be horrified that either their database was worthless to begin with or someone has done a horrible job with the analogs.

Original review: March 17, 2022

My wife and I purchased 2 kits in Nov of 2021 to better understand our family genetics/history as well as that for our kids. Mine came back with great information. My wife's came back as "analysis is unsuccessful". The company sent a replacement kit which she completed the same way I had done mine and sent it in. Once again, the test was unsuccessful. I called and spoke with customer service about this in an attempt to get a 3rd kit for either my wife or for our kids so they can see their complete family history. 23andMe said they cannot send a 3rd one and that we would need to ask for a refund on their site (which is broken and not allowing refunds) or buy a new kit at the full retail price (not the discounted price we purchased both kits for back in Nov).

Needless to say, having only half of our family history for our kids defeats the purpose of purchasing the 23 and me kits in the first place. The company doesn't seem willing or able to help rectify this situation and either send another kit for my wife or kids. When the analysis works, it is great information. However, the ability to help ensure that the kits work properly or when there are issues, to be able to resolve those is why I am giving this a 1 star review.

Original review: March 12, 2022

I paid extra for the health part so I paid $169 dollars. I did Ancestry and 23 and me on the same day. I had them both pulled up on my computer to pay for the subscriptions but my computer rebooted and the offers to both disappeared. I canned ancestry and explained to them what happened and they fixed the issue. I called 23 and me and they basically said that they didn’t have that kind of deal for the membership and I told them it was literally just on my screen and my computer rebooted and it disappeared. The guy basically called me a liar saying that that doesn’t happen. I have emailed them 3 times and have gotten no responses from anyone from either email that they have. I paid all this money and can’t even see all my results because some of them are locked… I’m just going to stick with ancestry and have my family do that vs spending money on 23 and me and they don’t even care.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2022

This company DNA test is totally inaccurate. My mixed-race genetic ancestry showed with more than 1% Native American from my mother side, this was totally unexpected and felt it was a joke, because my mother immigrated from Asian just 25 years ago, no one from her family had lived in American ever, if I have more than 1% Native American, my mother would have enough % to claim as Native American heritage. I also had substantial amount French/German from my father side while my father and my full sister had none, how could this happen?

Even though 23andMe’s "findings" on my DNA are wrong, but 23andme still had the nerve to refuse a retake to verify their results or a refund. 23andme knew my result was inaccurate but did not want to admit there is a problem with their testing method by providing second test. Basically, 23andme only cares selling their test kits, not test results. This company is a totally fraud. So please stay away from this company, do not waste your money to purchase DNA test kit from 23andme, go somewhere else.

23andMe author review by Jami Barnett, Ph.D.

In 2015, 23andMe became the first company to receive authorization from the FDA to sell genetic testing directly to consumers. Get a DNA test with information about your ancestry for $99. Get the ancestry report and information about genetic factors related to your health for $199.

• Genetic health risks: If you choose, 23andMe will include reports about whether your genes indicate that you’re likely to suffer from a particular disease, early-onset Alzheimer's, in the future.

• Actionable health information: You’ll receive reports about your genetics that let you make changes to improve your health. Health reports include information about how alcohol and caffeine affect you and whether you’re genetically predisposed to be over- or underweight.

• Carrier status information: 23andMe provides information about whether or not you’re a carrier of 40 different genetic mutations, including cystic fibrosis, sickle cell anemia and Bloom syndrome. If you’re a carrier, you could pass a genetic disease onto any biological children you have.

• DNA relatives: Once you get your 23andMe results, you’ll have the option to share some of your personal information, such as your profile picture and initials, with users who are likely related to you.

• Additional retailers: Order a DNA kit from 23andMe or buy one at Amazon, Target, CVS or Best Buy. You’ll purchase the kit from the retailer for a small fee and then make a separate payment to 23andMe for the remainder of the cost of DNA testing.

by Jami Barnett, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Jami Barnett, Ph.D., is an experienced researcher, and she believes consumers have a right to clear and honest information about products. In her role at ConsumerAffairs, she thoroughly researches products and companies by interviewing experts, reviewing research studies, reading governmental regulations and investigating customer service responses. Her work gives consumers the information they need to make smart purchasing decisions.

23andMe Company Information