Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.66/5

23andMe Reviews

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

I am satisfied with my results. I had to send a second sample which was no problem. My results were pretty much what I expected. People who complain that they are 100% anything are not correct...many generations are considered and in attempting to understand the details of results. the 23andMe people were very helpful and patient on the phone. I knew I was a lot English and Irish, but was happy to find my great grandfather was Swiss and I had a trace ancestry of African. I had hoped to find something that was not the plain English and was happy. Also, they update the results as more people are tested. It takes a little effort to analyze or understand the different categories, but 23andMe will help. Yes, I wish I had known about a sale, but I am satisfied and think that many people don't know how to find all the results..

I discovered that I had not accessed all that was available. The only reason I did not give 5 stars is that there were no instructions to access all results or their meaning. If some people think their ancestors lived in the same place for many, many thousands of years and never moved or integrated, they don't understand the test. I will be happy to search the test and understand more.

Original review: May 22, 2019

I was skeptical at first because of the bad reviews but "so what", I thought. I gave it a shot and it was seamless. Not one problem and I got my results 2 weeks earlier than expected. I feel so much in touch with who I am and I feel great. Knowing the migration of my blood etc.. And who knew what I would find. Be prepared though, of what you may find. Fine line there but it is exciting. It will make you or break you. Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for like I did and it is only just begun. As technology gets better, So will 23andMe with their information being passed on to us.. God Bless. Xo

Get expert buying tips about DNA Testing and Ancestry Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 9, 2019

I was so happy to learn about my ancestry from Europe. Based on the knowledge I already had about my ancestry, the reports are accurate. The report also confirmed which US states most of my relatives live. The health report was definitely on target. I highly recommend 23andMe if you want to learn more about yourself.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I'm appalled to learn that 23andMe cannot provide me a replacement copy of my labs. I had the exam done a few years ago, never provided my email address. I have a name that is unique, there isn't more than one person in the US with my name and date of birth combination. I'm particularly concerned since they can provide my name/information to Ancestry/Law Enforcement etc.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

I purchased 2 kits for my parents as Christmas gifts in mid November 2019. Since we spent christmas overseas, I waited until January 12 to collect the specimens so I would put it in the mail once in the United States. To my surprise, the kits were already expired. I contacted their customer service department and after a frustrating conversation, the agent refunded my money. Not only I ended up with a useless chritsmas gift for my parents but I ended up feeling insulted when the agent decided to refund my money "as a one time thing courtesy", like if this was my fault. I cannot believe how incompetent this company acts.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 23andMe?

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

After my daughter purchased a complete kit for the family including me and my wife, they replied asking me for a second sample because their laboratory tried to extract DNA from my sample, but unfortunately the concentration wasn't high enough to meet their standards!!!. Wow I have never heard something like that before. I'm sure they misplaced my sample and they came up with that false statement. What a waste time with these unprofessional company.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

It was almost impossible to register my kit online. They rope you into taking a genetic and health survey. I took over an hour trying to complete the survey. I finally had to call a company rep, only to find out the survey is optional. The rep was helpful, but I still had to call bact to complete the registration. This rep helped me complete the registration, but she was not happy about it.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

I made up a name and didn’t give my real name. I’ve never used this name with ANYTHING....ever!. Even though I am satisfied with the genetic results, I’m now bombarded with email addressed to this fictitious name. Now I’m glad that I didn’t use my real name as I can confirm without doubt that 23 and Me sold my information. This is NOT ok with me.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

I got this kit Free so I decided to try it out. My results were totally incorrect. I have no Filipino blood. I am of Hawaiian ancestry which it does not even mention. The data is so way off that I am so glad I didn't purchase this kit. Then when I called customer service the girl didn't know what she was doing and put me on hold and then forgot why she put me on hold. I do NOT recommend purchasing this kit.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

The survey they sent was poorly designed. It went on and on when groups of issues could have been handled more succinctly. When a response to not fit well with their inept program, responding was impossible. I had no choice but to skip a poorly designed question. I will never recommend this service to anyone who asks. Contacting the organization is evidently impossible.

Protect your property with a home alarm

Take our two minute quiz to find the right home security system for you.

23andMe expert review by Jami Barnett, Ph.D.

In 2015, 23andMe became the first company to receive authorization from the FDA to sell genetic testing directly to consumers. Get a DNA test with information about your ancestry for $99. Get the ancestry report and information about genetic factors related to your health for $199.

• Genetic health risks: If you choose, 23andMe will include reports about whether your genes indicate that you’re likely to suffer from a particular disease, early-onset Alzheimer's, in the future.

• Actionable health information: You’ll receive reports about your genetics that let you make changes to improve your health. Health reports include information about how alcohol and caffeine affect you and whether you’re genetically predisposed to be over- or underweight.

• Carrier status information: 23andMe provides information about whether or not you’re a carrier of 40 different genetic mutations, including cystic fibrosis, sickle cell anemia and Bloom syndrome. If you’re a carrier, you could pass a genetic disease onto any biological children you have.

• DNA relatives: Once you get your 23andMe results, you’ll have the option to share some of your personal information, such as your profile picture and initials, with users who are likely related to you.

• Additional retailers: Order a DNA kit from 23andMe or buy one at Amazon, Target, CVS or Best Buy. You’ll purchase the kit from the retailer for a small fee and then make a separate payment to 23andMe for the remainder of the cost of DNA testing.

• Best for: people looking for certain kinds of actionable health information; people looking for information about physical traits; and people interested in their carrier status of certain genetic mutations.

by Jami Barnett, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Jami Barnett, Ph.D., is an experienced researcher, and she believes consumers have a right to clear and honest information about products. In her role at ConsumerAffairs, she thoroughly researches products and companies by interviewing experts, reviewing research studies, reading governmental regulations and investigating customer service responses. Her work gives consumers the information they need to make smart purchasing decisions.

23andMe Company Information