Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.51/5

Unsubscribe at any time.

23andMe Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 23andMe?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about 23andMe?

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

This company's claim, to be able to trace our ancestors, is a complete lie. When I received my results I was shocked that their ancestry timeline stopped at 1780 and my most recent ancestry (north African) only dated back to 1930? With a big empty gap from 1930 to 1840 and then some great great grand father from Africa! This company doesn't disclose its ability to only trace back your ancestors to less than a 100 years ago and considers generational gaps to be of 30 years, which to me means they are telling me where my grand father came from! Wow, I really needed to pay 100$ to know that! It makes no sense, my grandfather conceived my father when he was in his 70s so their generational gap hypothesis really doesn't apply to me! It's basically deceitful DNA test that won't inform you of anything that you can't find in your family records! And the illegal part is that this information is NOT DISCLOSED anywhere when ordering their Kit!

Original review: Aug. 27, 2020

23andme staff is rude, stubborn and unprofessional. I purchased kit from a local vendor, shipped the sample kit, but they did not accept my sample kit, saying that I bought it from Amazon, and I should provide Amazon purchase receipt and ID in order to get the refund. When I told them that I did not buy it from Amazon, but I bought it from local seller, I also humbly requested them to provide the results of my sample, they refused to give the refund, and they said:

1. "Ask refund from your local seller."

2. If local seller does not give refund, open a dispute case with my credit card company.

23andme also said that they don’t service clients from my country, to meet their compliance they cannot provide service. How come a customer knows about 23andme policies? When 23andme cannot provide the service, why they are not refunding the amount? Are not they cheater? 23andme cares about their compliance a lot, but it does not care its customers money and time. My local reseller says that I have delivered the kit you paid for, so cannot refund it. My card company says you purchased a product, it was delivered, and we cannot open a dispute case. I wasted my time, energy and money to get 23andme service. It was a terrible experience dealing with 23andme.

Get buying tips about DNA Testing and Ancestry Websites delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: July 24, 2020

The Family Tree algorithm is broken. I have been hung up on several times when calling, or left on hold for hours when asking to speak to a supervisor. When I ask for a refund I have been immediately hung up on. The customer service is terrible. The only reason I bought the product was for the Family Tree. It crashed and was down for weeks, and when it came back it was wrong.

Original review: July 19, 2020

Kit arrived. I took the test, tried to mail the kit at the Italian Post. They would not mail it using their prepaid mail. I contacted 23 many times, They just refuse to help me. Awful people. My latest email from them says after 30 days they cannot issue a refund. It has been months and no one said that. There is a pandemic worldwide. I am not able to travel any place to mail this kit.

Original review: June 22, 2020

My son purchased the DNA kit many years ago. It was very informative at first. Then they took all of the valuable information away, and want you to purchase a new kit to get back all of the initial information. Now there seems to be a glitch, and I can’t even get into my account. I tried contacting them with no response to my email.

Original review: June 7, 2020

I was ordering a DNA kit when my phone glitched and closed out during checkout. I opened it back up and it seemed to not go through. So I resubmitted. Was double charged and have not been able to get a response back for a refund for second charge after 3 attempts. They are thieves.

Original review: May 9, 2020

I paid for the health profile in addition to people. $169. I received basically no information that I didn't already know. The genetic origins were so obscure. The website is very difficult to use. I tried to add more members to family tree & could not access it. It said to answer a few question but no questions showed. I think it is totally worthless. I am very disappointed. If anyone has received information I would like to know how they did it.

Original review: April 16, 2020

I purchased a kit for myself and set up an account and got my results. When my father was in hospice care I got another kit as we all wanted to have the oldest male genetic line so we could compare it with the rest of our results. At that time, 23andMe wouldn't let me register the account with my email because there was already an account with that email. I used my father's email thinking that it would just be used as a login. After my father passed away his email account was closed, along with all other accounts. Now, 23andme won't allow me to access the account I purchased and set up because I no longer have access to that email.

I contacted customer service but they want a court certified copy of the will. Since there was a trust there is only a pour-over will. Everything was properly titled in the trust so we didn't go to court with the will as there was no reason to - that is the whole point of estate planning - to avoid the courts and probate. They want a court certified death certificate and Court certified Letters of Testamentary - again which we don't have because it was a trust. Now with the Covid lockdown and my father died in California and I live in Massachusetts. To get the documents I would have to fly to California for the court certified documents. I understand the need for privacy but this is a lot of red tape.

Original review: March 22, 2020

The test said I am 100% European. 58% North Western European. That tells me nothing. There have been many ethnic groups in the area. Gaul, Pict, Roman, Saxon, Viking. The viking part is covered as it said I have .04% Scandinavian with a small part of German and Spain. I already knew the region my ancestors came from. I wanted to know who (what ethnic people is dominant). Telling me I am 58% North Western European tell me nothing.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

I received a DNA test kit as a gift, I would not have purchased it on my own. The reason is I have cousins from three different wings of the family who spent years researching our family history. I have a binder of data five inches thick that goes back centuries. The results from 23andMe are vague and inaccurate. I don’t need a test to tell me what countries my ancestors “likely came from,” when I’ve got the facts that include names, cities, and dates. I’m sure some people might like to find other relatives they didn’t know about, but I don’t recommend this as a productive use of money.

23andMe author review by Jami Barnett, Ph.D.

In 2015, 23andMe became the first company to receive authorization from the FDA to sell genetic testing directly to consumers. Get a DNA test with information about your ancestry for $99. Get the ancestry report and information about genetic factors related to your health for $199.

• Genetic health risks: If you choose, 23andMe will include reports about whether your genes indicate that you’re likely to suffer from a particular disease, early-onset Alzheimer's, in the future.

• Actionable health information: You’ll receive reports about your genetics that let you make changes to improve your health. Health reports include information about how alcohol and caffeine affect you and whether you’re genetically predisposed to be over- or underweight.

• Carrier status information: 23andMe provides information about whether or not you’re a carrier of 40 different genetic mutations, including cystic fibrosis, sickle cell anemia and Bloom syndrome. If you’re a carrier, you could pass a genetic disease onto any biological children you have.

• DNA relatives: Once you get your 23andMe results, you’ll have the option to share some of your personal information, such as your profile picture and initials, with users who are likely related to you.

• Additional retailers: Order a DNA kit from 23andMe or buy one at Amazon, Target, CVS or Best Buy. You’ll purchase the kit from the retailer for a small fee and then make a separate payment to 23andMe for the remainder of the cost of DNA testing.

by Jami Barnett, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Jami Barnett, Ph.D., is an experienced researcher, and she believes consumers have a right to clear and honest information about products. In her role at ConsumerAffairs, she thoroughly researches products and companies by interviewing experts, reviewing research studies, reading governmental regulations and investigating customer service responses. Her work gives consumers the information they need to make smart purchasing decisions.

23andMe Company Information