2.3/5 (47 ratings)

About 23andMe

23andMe Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 23andMe?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about 23andMe?

Original review: Nov. 22, 2022

My girlfriend is a biology major and convinced me to buy into a membership and dan sequencing from the company "23andMe", which is owned by Google and has great review on google. The results were underwhelming to say the least, received a dozen research quizzes before receiving my results and the only accurate thing were my European origins. I didn't get any insights in anything else, not in diseases and not even in trait, where even my eyes were not sequenced for color or shape. A total scam.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2022

I have read through the complaints and was astounded by the similar complaints. I have not been able to access my account for almost a year now. I have contacted customer support, sent password protected documents, mailed my ID as requested, and crickets. I want my data and I want my information removed from this company's website.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2022

I have been unable to log in to this site. I had to previously go through customer service to get onto the site. Repeated problems. Now, I just want to the dump the subscription I have been worthlessly paying for. Almost impossible to reach anyone by phone, and then they say they will forward an email (since I can’t access the site), and I haven’t received anything. Really miffed, that they can use your DNA as they please, if you miss checking one of the op-out boxes on the application. They certainly Don’t make that clear, and it should be illegal.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2022

I spent the money. Did the test. 8 months later they canceled me without notice. I can't get on at all. They didn't ask for money subscription of anything. I will be doing Ancestry and telling others to do the same. Hopefully I can pick up where I left off.

Original review: July 9, 2022

In order to send in sample and get results you have to register. In order to register you have to have a 14 digit code which allegedly is on the vile sent. There is no such number, therefore, you can't register. There is no customer service on the weekend. Would like to just have something go easily for what you pay.

Original review: July 3, 2022

I am a customer of 23andMe. I order 3 kits with them. I do not receive updates for my ancestry feature. I reached several times to customer support and they do not help. I have the impression that this is a waste of money. Customer support do not work in 23andMe.

Original review: June 3, 2022

I sent out our kits four and a half weeks ago. The tracking information is unavailable and the customer service was completely unhelpful. They don’t care about helping me find my shipment and only wanted to send a new one and make me wait even longer. Only one solution to an issue that has probably happened before. They also didn’t refund me the correct amount. They only want to make money at this point. I was so excited to learn about my ancestry. I’ll just try a different company. If you order pray nothing goes wrong because they WILL NOT HELP YOU.

Original review: April 29, 2022

1) They lie and say they are in California until one tells you they are in the Philippines.

2) They blame the customer even when you have evidence as proof!
    3) They do not listen nor do they care what you have to say… No supposedly escalating your issue will not help you as the supervisors are unprofessional.
    4) They lie about the procedure.

5) There is no other easy way of contacting the company so Customer Service agents and reps get away with their unprofessionalism as no senior management will ever know.

You might as well beat your head against the wall as it would be more fun!

Original review: April 24, 2022

The test is OK, as advertised, but it doesn't provide me with new knowledge about my ancestry. I already got the same breakdown from other sites, so this was a bit boring. I am interested in my more ancient past now for my research. I took the Bronze Age DNA test (GenePlaza), which was a lot of fun, but I want to learn more. I am happy if anyone knows companies that provide home ancient DNA tests.

Original review: March 28, 2022

I've had an okay experience with this site, but I signed in today and some random person was put in as my maternal grandmother! I knew my maternal grandmother and all my grandparents and great grandparents. This person is in no way even related.

23andMe author review by Jami Barnett, Ph.D.

In 2015, 23andMe became the first company to receive authorization from the FDA to sell genetic testing directly to consumers. Get a DNA test with information about your ancestry for $99. Get the ancestry report and information about genetic factors related to your health for $199.

• Genetic health risks: If you choose, 23andMe will include reports about whether your genes indicate that you’re likely to suffer from a particular disease, early-onset Alzheimer's, in the future.

• Actionable health information: You’ll receive reports about your genetics that let you make changes to improve your health. Health reports include information about how alcohol and caffeine affect you and whether you’re genetically predisposed to be over- or underweight.

• Carrier status information: 23andMe provides information about whether or not you’re a carrier of 40 different genetic mutations, including cystic fibrosis, sickle cell anemia and Bloom syndrome. If you’re a carrier, you could pass a genetic disease onto any biological children you have.

• DNA relatives: Once you get your 23andMe results, you’ll have the option to share some of your personal information, such as your profile picture and initials, with users who are likely related to you.

• Additional retailers: Order a DNA kit from 23andMe or buy one at Amazon, Target, CVS or Best Buy. You’ll purchase the kit from the retailer for a small fee and then make a separate payment to 23andMe for the remainder of the cost of DNA testing.

by Jami Barnett, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Jami Barnett, Ph.D., is an experienced researcher, and she believes consumers have a right to clear and honest information about products. In her role at ConsumerAffairs, she thoroughly researches products and companies by interviewing experts, reviewing research studies, reading governmental regulations and investigating customer service responses. Her work gives consumers the information they need to make smart purchasing decisions.

23andMe Company Information