3.10/5
Based on 29 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

29 23andMe Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 18, 2018

I object to the fact that in spite of my whole life of hearing of ** in Russia as cause of some in my family having slanted eyes, that my report came back as 100% Jewish dating back over 150,000 years to S. Africa; that I was asked upfront if my parents and both sets of parents were Ashkenazi Jewish is wrong, I regret answering honestly to this question.

Further, my husband has Osceola American Indian ancestry, my son has Cherokee American Indian ancestry, yet their reports do not mention this because according to 23andMe, their database does not contain sufficient Native American information and does not include details on Osceola and Cherokee. I asked for 3 refunds and was denied. I spoke with a supervisor in the U.S. suggest you either save your money or enlist another firm, stay away from 23andMe, they are unreliable!!!

Original review: June 11, 2018

I have had problems from the day I placed my order. Once I received them, then some of the barcodes won't register. With literally hours on the phone, with one call nearly 2 hours alone, I hung up as I was on hold for more than 45 minutes waiting for someone to come back. I opened a case with them in April 2018. Today June 11, 2018 it is not resolved. The case keeps getting closed. I send a new message for an update. I get an answer, "Give it 1-3 more days." That started at the end of May. With no responses I kept following up with an email on the case's reply form. Going on 2 months, today I got an email asking me to call them if I needed more help. They have responded to my issues and questions.

In addition, I tried reaching them through Facebook messenger. They respond with the same call the 800 overseas. I want a USA phone number whereby someone will listen, not interrupt and can help solve the problem. I'm back at square one. I bought 3 kits and wished I would have bought somewhere else. Reading the other comments, I'm not sure the results I have are accurate. I have recently learned of a 1/2 sister I have through her reaching out to the adoption agency. I only choose this service as she used it. She is connected to a 1st cousin of ours, but I am not. How strange and unreliable is that?! Please think before you use this service. You may be wasting your money. If anyone has a USA phone number, please share it. Wishing you all the best in reaching your DNA research goals. Family First...

Get expert buying tips about DNA Testing and Ancestry Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 8, 2018

Here's what I wrote to 23 and Me when they asked me for feedback: I don't think that you have the necessary database for processing matches properly. My family lineage is largely French. And yes, I know, DNA is not inherited evenly and families may have changed countries long ago. But I didn't even get a bubble under French. I have a chunk of uncertainty under largely European. You sent my daughter an update to correct hers, yet you didn't send me one.

When I called in to ask about the French DNA, I was told that you don't have a strong database for it. Your rep was little help. Your tutorial was little help. In addition, you got many many traits for me wrong: you said I would most likely have straight hair and no widow's peak or cleft chin. Just the opposite is true. My hair has been extremely curly since birth, etc. You did get right that I'm overweight, but I told you that on the pre-survey which you regurgitated back to me.

Wish I'd never even done the survey. My son also took your test. He has serious health issues with an auto-immune disease. You didn't find any of those connections. I also think that your health coverage is misleading. You nearly scared me to death with 20 pages of caution before revealing that I did not have the breast cancer link. Relief, but then I learned that there are many other kinds of breast cancer not screened for in your testing. Parts of your testing was interesting, but much is questionable. I'd probably give you a 2 or 3 star review, having never done the testing with another company, I don't have much to compare. Overall, a disappointment.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I have my sample number, my order number, date of order placed, phone number, name, etc. and called several times to customer services because I could not login in 23andMe.com. And could not resolved the case. So I paid for it. I can't retrieve my results. UNBELIEVABLE.

Original review: May 22, 2018

I went for a genealogy ancestry report on my family origin and was disappointed with the results that were sent to me. I am of Swedish descent with a long history of Swedish family dating back to the Vikings. Yet in 23andMe there is no mention of this or anything Scandinavian heritage. There are other mistakes I feel the reports shows which leads me to say I have no confidence in 23andMe report.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 23andMe?

Original review: May 11, 2018

I purchased 3 kits (ancestry and health) for myself and kids. The reason is because I am an adoptee and the results are very valuable to my research. I have also tested with several other agencies trying to get as much data as I can to possible DNA relatives. I spent almost 500.00 on these kits. I submitted my sample on 2 May. My one daughter also submitted her sample on 2 May. The other family member 3 May. We were told the accurate analysis would take 4-8 weeks so very surprised when I received my results 9 May and my daughter on 10 May. The 3rd results have not yet come in.

In reviewing the report, I found a DNA match with a report of cM (Centimorgans which is a unit of measure that determines the relationship - 1st, 2nd, 3rd, close family, etc) that was less than 1/2 of the cM that I received for that same person on 4 other test sites. This concerned me greatly because that would mean the test results received from 23andMe were not accurate and there was a good possibility that the matches I did get would not be the correct cM level, if at all. My daughter did not even show up on my DNA matches, but I show up on hers at 200+ less cM than We match on other sites. I then downloaded my Raw DNA which I have a legal right to do as it MINE and when I tried to upload it into other sites (GedMatch, etc), I received an error stating the raw data was corrupt to download and try again, which I did.

Again, I received an error on the multiple autosomal transfer sites that definitely are compatible to 23andMe raw data autosomal transfers. (The reason I know this is a friend had done this a month before and told me all that had happened with his results with 23andMe). Additionally, My daughter downloaded her DNA Raw Data file and she attempted to upload to the same sites. Like me, she got errors. She tried again with no success. In the health report, the results that were returned was essentially a regurgitation of all of the survey questions that I had answered (thinking that they were to help 23andMe research instead of using it as my result). So I then decided I would call customer care.

I had to look up the number because it was not readily available on the site. I first spoke with a customer care representative who transferred me to Vanessa. Vanessa sounded like she was angry when she answered the phone and was not really in the conversation. I requested to speak to someone else. After being on hold for 10 minutes, I was speaking to Delaney. She said she was a supervisor. However; she was also quite rude and condescending. I began telling her of some of my issues and concerns. She continuously interrupted me and said she was 100% sure that they never make mistakes. I attempted to go through each of my concerns with her and she asked for examples. I gave her specific examples. She did not have a response to them.

I asked her how do I read this when the centimorgan result was obviously not correct and the health predictions were not correct. She didn't answer. The health data information does not match any genetic data results that I have received from other sites including ones that are very scientific sites (so scientific that I have a hard time reading it). Again, one of the major reasons these tests were ordered and done was to find additional information or rather DNA matches that I was not gleaning from other sites as well as any potential health data that wasn't received from other sites NOT LESS information or bogus information.

I asked if it was possible that a tech may have went through the data too fast in order to "keep numbers up" and her response was "You will NOT receive a refund, let me reiterate you will not receive a refund". I had not asked about a refund at that time, I was attempting to understand the test results and see if, by chance, something had just gone wrong. I then requested that a retest be done from the already submitted samples or a new samples be done. She emphatically told me no, that she would not do it and I would not receive a refund. I then asked for her supervisor, she told me no.

I asked for who I can contact or email at headquarters or the CEO office. She told me she would not give me that information that I would only talk to her. She said she would see if her supervisor would email me within 3 days. When I asked who her supervisor was, she told me she could not tell me. I asked again who it was and she said "uh, Lilly". I know some people have received valuable information from this site, but I do not understand my results, the lack of its accuracy, or the rude and condescending attitude from the customer service which is the face of this company to the world. I do find it odd that the test was rushed but it isn't surprising when the results did not provide accurate or valuable information.

Oh the representative, said the results are good because we show that you match your daughter... What? I didn't need a DNA test to show I match my daughter. I had her, raised her, and I bought the kit for her and another family member as well as for myself in order to find UNKNOWN DNA matches!!! So, all in all, I don't have any faith in this company. I tried, really tried to explain to her, told her I would send her information to prove what I was saying to get some help and even asked for a redo so that someone would take their time. I was denied! This is not customer service.

Original review: May 6, 2018

I purchased a dna testing kit in Dec 2017 and sent in my saliva sample for processing. 2 mos later I'm told they were unable to process and to repeat the test at no charge to me. I repeated the test and yes, followed all instructions to a tee. Another month later, I was told could still not process and to request a refund, which I did. It's been another 2 mos and still no refund. I have called and emailed several times, but can't seem to get an answer as to when my refund will be processed. Instead I get a repeat email asking me for the same info that I have provided 3-4 times now. Very poor customer service and now I doubt the validity of their testing lab as well.

Original review: April 8, 2018

I bought a DNA analysis kit for my father as a gift for Father’s Day last year. He received a report by email around July 26, 2017 from the kit which was remarkably lacking in details. It did contain haplogroups and Neanderthal DNA, but completely missed the Native American ancestry. It claimed that he had 0 DNA relatives (my DNA has been in their database for many years). In order to get any more specific information, they included a request for another $25 for x and, $25 for y, etc. When we tried to link the accounts or share information on the website, we found that there is no DNA information in my father’s account and they claim to have never received or registered a kit.

I have been trying to get this resolved for several months, and while they have responded with somewhat generic emails and I have given them all the information they have asked for, nothing happens. It seems that the company business model has become a scheme for dragging small amounts of money out of people once they get that original hook. It really is starting to look like a scam to me.

Original review: March 7, 2018

DO NOT bet your life on the accuracy of FDA approval BRCA testing! I was tested for free by 23andMe some years back. For participating in an auto-immune study 23andMe was conducting. The SAME test that claimed I don't carry the BRCA gene ALSO said I have blue eyes. I do NOT! They are green, gold, brown... and have wondered ever since if my DNA was even tested. I strongly recommend you save your money and consider another route to determine whether you carry BRCA genes.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I would have liked a better explanation of which parts of northern Europe my genealogy is from. The explanations were not very specific – that is, Northern European could be the Scandinavian countries or northern Russia, Ireland, Iceland, England, etc. Also, they should provide more information about possible reasons why historically my genealogy might have developed to have a background that I was not aware of.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I really liked it and believe in it as it found relatives that came in the same village as my ancestors. I love knowing my genetic health. I love knowing even my earwax type. I am so damn proud to be Middle Eastern and many other ethnicities. I did get what I wanted to accomplish. I like knowing what I am and also knowing my probabilities of being overweight to how I am supposed to look. I also like that the genealogy website showed the relatives, the characteristics of my look and the updating of everything cause they have things to tell me like what other genes I carry for health issues. Talking to relatives is also awesome. However, it sucks by default that I can't get the male chromosome to go into more details. And also too bad it doesn't talk about Native American DNA. And it be nice to know which Middle Eastern countries and North African countries.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

The experience I had with 23andMe was extremely positive. The prices were reasonable, the directions were clear, and they were always available and willing to respond to any questions I may have had in a very timely manner. I received my results back in a timely manner and was very pleased with what I learned. The website is easy to navigate, isn't cluttered, and has a very modern feel to it that makes it more appealing, easier to approach, and more trusting when it comes to your money. The only thing I wasn't too big on was the "About Us" being at the bottom of the main page. It would benefit to have it at too for those of us who want to know more, but that's just a minor pet peeve.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

The website was very user-friendly and easy to use, very well laid out, looked nice and gave very good and relevant information. I hoped to get information on cost, and what you get and was able to get the needed information easily. Good attention to detail was given on this website.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

Wanted to find out what nationalities were in my background. Found out a general area, but not very specific. I was looking for specific areas within the area of English/Irish and was hoping for more specific within the Northern European area. It gave percentages, including Neanderthal. It also gave references to physical problems in my genetic line, such as diabetes and macular degeneration. And it listed a wide range of conditions. I was hoping to find various tribes or sub-nationalities within Europe/UK categories, but the research to do so may not be complete yet. I was also hoping to find more cousins, but none of the ones in my family knowledge have showed up.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I really liked everything about the website. The website is very dynamic and didactic, easy to use, quite intuitive. The results you give quite fast. It was a great experience and great learning. A website that would recommend to my friends. If I had to change something, the first thing that comes to mind are the colors used on the site. I think they can change a little to achieve a greater connection with people.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

It was fun and interesting to get this type of information in a short period of time without having to go to multiple resources. It would have been impossible to gather this information any other way. There were some things that I did not anticipate reading about. However, there were too many questions to answer and I think that it tainted the results.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I sent my kit to 23andMe after receiving a gift from my son. I have been interested in my heritage for quite some time now and this was a good way to validate my research with Ancestry.com. The kit came back with reports which pretty much agreed with the information I had. Most of my ancestry came from Northern and Western Europe. Since then I have been contacted by a few new cousins with whom I have shared information. It has been a great experience for me.

I liked the reports I got, but they weren't so easy to interpret for me. Also, there were a lot of surveys afterward too. I am not sure what to make of it since they seem to be trying to match my illnesses to heredity and I am not sure it has any bearing on my genetics. Also, they always take longer than they say. I would like to see how they determine my predisposition to certain illnesses can be tied to my family history.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

My experience with them was wonderful. They were quick. Besides telling me about my heritage, they told me about traits that run in my family. Told me which generation some of the nationalities were in. When new information becomes available they share it with already established customers. Medical information, physical traits, things that I am more likely to be able to smell and taste. However, when I bought my brother a gift test, I was under the impression I was gifting him a full genealogy panel. When he got his results he got the basic test and they told him it would be $125.00 to upgrade to the full test. With what I paid and his $125.00, it would be more than the full cost of the most expensive test.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

The 23andMe site was very easy to navigate, ordering the kit was very straightforward and registering it was very easy as well. I purchased a kit through 23andMe primarily for medical reasons. The kit arrived in the mail after a couple days and it was very easy to follow the instructions and send it back. The instructions on the site matched the instructions that came with the kit making it very easy to send the kit back without making a mistake.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I was curious about my heritage, so I took a DNA test. The results came fast and it was mostly what I expected. I can find out the percentages of my ethnicity and if I'm at risk for certain health issues. I like how results are categorized so you can find what you need. But 23andMe could have more results on genetic health risks, carrier status and wellness reports.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

It was easy to order the DNA kit and send it back for evaluation. I learned lots of info about my ancestry. I like the good reports about my DNA and areas where I came from as well as lots of services available if I want to use them. However, I do not feel that I need all of the extra services that they keep trying to get me to purchase. I simply wanted to know where my ancestors came from.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

This is an excellent website to trace your ancestral roots and find out where your family came from. I did it just to find out more about my history and background. They have excellent customer service and their results are quality results. They also give very detailed reports. Plus I like the way that it is set up and the professionalism of the site.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

My husband was curious about deeper details of his genealogy. He ordered the 23andme.com test and took it. Results were not shocking, but much more detailed than we had expected. In addition to your heritage, they are able to tell you quite a bit about who your relatives are all over the world, what traits you share, etc. Additionally, they send questionnaires occasionally to get more input into the 'family pool'. I like that there's lots of follow-up and follow-through. They don't just plop the answers on you and go away. It's very interactive, and you can share as much or as little as you like. It's also very thorough. We love that you can see what you share with your relatives. You can even allow them to get your info, if you like.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

The experience was great; the instructions were very clear and easy and the results provided lots of new and interesting information about ancestry and health. It was a little light as far as health, I expected more useful health information about different diseases and such and less of a useless information. However I understand that this a subjective opinion on the matter. I liked the fact that you can have lots of information on your traits, and also that you can connect with other people that share your DNA and get in touch with them and possibly find your roots and family members. However, it took a very long time to obtain results. In addition, it was not explained clearly that ancestry test also provided health results - I purchased both tests and as a result for 2 different profiles as if I am a twin. It would be nice if people didn't save their profiles as anonymous because it is difficult to see if you can relate to them.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I went to the website to find out my ancestry on my mother's side. The website had very clear guidelines, pricing and has a nice picture on it but with few detail about it. I liked that the pricing was clear from the start. Some websites will not give the price for their goods until you waste a lot of time filling out pages and pages of forms. But the website has pop-ups, and I hate websites with pop-ups. I am already at the site and looking at their products. I do not need to see more ads. If the site does not lose the pop-ups, they will lose customers.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Comparing against other customers, their research resulted in such info as I am more/less likely to consume caffeine or alcohol or more/less likely to have blonde hair. And I didn't feel that the results were useful but I liked the connection of genealogy to geographical areas. Although for me, that wasn't anything I didn't expect.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

Still waiting for results... being analyzed after extraction. Wanted for years to try on ancestry.com but instead was sent the URL for 23andMe -- which I had heard of from various talk shows, TV news, etc. Wondering, since I'm adopted, if what I was always told is the truth. Champing at the bit to find out! Liked that the starter kit was discounted... and the lab fee was also "on sale." However, it seems to take a L-O-N-G time. Also had some problems registering my sample kit. They kept asking for a 3-digit security code for my credit card... and only worked when I typed in the 4-digit code on the back of the card!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

Overall experience was a positive one, I wish I had done it earlier to get grandfathered in with the health reports, but otherwise I liked it. I used this website mostly for carrier status reports & was very pleased with the results. The website & app are very easy to use & user friendly. I like the way the reports are broken down or how you can see them all at once. The ability to export your data to run with other websites is a nice touch. I understand it's per FDA guidelines, but I would like to see more genetic health reports - why can't I have access to my own DNA? More specific reports would also be nice.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

23andMe is probably the best of the DNA research companies currently available. It was money well spent, even though I was initially disappointed with the results. Since then, I periodically receive updated information and it has become somewhat fun. I like the periodic updates; it is easy to understand. However, I wish they were able to provide more and finer details. I'd like to see an explanation as to why my brother and I, while being born of the same parents, don't have the exact same DNA.

23andMe expert review by Jami Barnett, Ph.D.

In 2015, 23andMe became the first company to receive authorization from the FDA to sell genetic testing directly to consumers. Get a DNA test with information about your ancestry for $99. Get the ancestry report and information about genetic factors related to your health for $199.

• Genetic health risks: If you choose, 23andMe will include reports about whether your genes indicate that you’re likely to suffer from a particular disease, early-onset Alzheimer's, in the future.

• Actionable health information: You’ll receive reports about your genetics that let you make changes to improve your health. Health reports include information about how alcohol and caffeine affect you and whether you’re genetically predisposed to be over- or underweight.

• Carrier status information: 23andMe provides information about whether or not you’re a carrier of 40 different genetic mutations, including cystic fibrosis, sickle cell anemia and Bloom syndrome. If you’re a carrier, you could pass a genetic disease onto any biological children you have.

• DNA relatives: Once you get your 23andMe results, you’ll have the option to share some of your personal information, such as your profile picture and initials, with users who are likely related to you.

• Additional retailers: Order a DNA kit from 23andMe or buy one at Amazon, Target, CVS or Best Buy. You’ll purchase the kit from the retailer for a small fee and then make a separate payment to 23andMe for the remainder of the cost of DNA testing.

• Best for: people looking for certain kinds of actionable health information; people looking for information about physical traits; and people interested in their carrier status of certain genetic mutations.

Profile picture of Jami Barnett, Ph.D.
Jami Barnett, Ph.D.

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Jami Barnett, Ph.D., is an experienced researcher, and she believes consumers have a right to clear and honest information about products. In her role at ConsumerAffairs, she thoroughly researches products and companies by interviewing experts, reviewing research studies, reading governmental regulations and investigating customer service responses. Her work gives consumers the information they need to make smart purchasing decisions.

23andMe Company Information