3.6/5 (132 ratings)

About 23andMe

23andMe Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 23andMe?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about 23andMe?

Resolution response: Sept. 9, 2021

23andMe have now sent me a new kit to replace the incorrect one I sent.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

Warning about this company - so far really bad customer service: I bought 2x ancestry and traits kits for my parents for their birthdays and 1x ancestry and health kit for me - all 3 arrived at my house without any labels on them identifying which one was which. I wasn’t sure if it was possible to assign which one I wanted after I had sent mine back to the lab. So I used and activated one of the kits and checked the app to see what I should do next. It looks like you have to send a kit specifically assigned to ancestry and health, impossible for me to know since there was no sticker labels on the kits I received.

I’ve sent numerous emails to Abby at 23andme’s customer service email but have been told there is nothing they can do now I have sent the wrong kit back to them. I think possibly 23andme made a mistake when sending me my kits as I can see on their Facebook page that some people have put photos of kits with sticker labels on identifying which kit is which - I have sent 23andme photos of the kits I received (that don’t have any labels)

Normally if a company makes a mistake - in this case the kits did not have stickers labelling which one is which - good customer service would rectify this - I suggested they send me another ancestry and health kit so I can do what I paid for but I’ve not heard anything back from them - I sent an email on Friday, and yesterday and both have been ignored it seems.

I did a previous post on their Facebook page saying this and the response was to send a message to their customer service email (this had already been done). Be careful with this company - I made the mistake of spending £300 on 3 kits - I hoped for better customer service to sort out this labeling error by them. At the moment I feel I’m being ignored.

Original review: May 6, 2021

I have relatives in the US and Europe that have taken the 23andMe DNA test. After reviewing the related people based on DNA results it is evident that the Canadian test and results do not include people/family from Europe and the USA. Relatives in both regions compared results and we could not find these relatives having taken the Canadian test, likewise the ones that have taken the European and USA test could not find Canadian relatives. For instance in both the USA and Europe I have many 2nd and 3rd cousins but yet they do not show up on my relatives list and I and my son do not show up on theirs. It is clear these three data bases are not shared and melded together. Example Krzysztof ** a second cousin living in Vienna does not show up as a relative and visa versa. Also many of his relatives, that are mine also do not show up on my DNA relatives.

Original review: April 23, 2021

Be careful with this company. Don't waste your money. Finally they sent me my report with a single line of information where I came from, without any demographic detail. I wrote to them requesting a refund and they tell me that since I already received the report, they cannot give me a refund. They also told me that they have not been able to determine my geographical background. So what is the test for if you can't get that information? In my opinion, it is a hoax. Stay away from this company.

Original review: April 13, 2021

AVOID - They got my medical history wrong. Familial conditions I am ‘unlikely’ to get I have. My uncle succumbed to it. They said I am unlikely to get Haemachromatosis. I have it. My uncle succumbed to it. They ripped me off disrespecting my deceased my uncle. Asked about my family + me + sent back same information. It should be a blank slate. SNAKE OIL SALESMEN. AVOID.

Original review: March 12, 2021

I feel completely misled by this company. I got my DNA analyzed five years ago and the technology since then has rendered those earlier results completely irrelevant. 23andMe will not update the results for free or re-analyze them for free, plus, like with everything nowadays, you sign your rights and privacy away when you utilize their service.

Original review: March 11, 2021

I purchased a kit for me and my wife 2 years ago, we were astounded that we were, after all, the ancestry we had believed all of our lives, and that the DNA test we did with Ancestry.com, was a fraud, as we had suspected when we got our results back from them several years ago, saying we were Romanian and Ukrainian, we are Irish and Italian, as the 23andme results showed. For years now, we have been getting updates about health problems we could face, and lo and behold, those things happened to us. We are very grateful to 23andme for their continued support.

Original review: March 10, 2021

Easy to use features and notifications allow you to learn when new relatives join. The breakdown of my ancestry was very detailed and interesting to explore. Learned of background information and how it correlates to other family members.

Original review: March 9, 2021

Excellent for searching for long lost relatives, family tree building, and some, but limited, genetic proclivities and risks. Also very good for learning about genetic science and many genetic disorders. The layout is easy to use and well organized. The main limitation is the data base (number of users) size, which is not nearly as large as Ancestry.com.

Original review: March 8, 2021

It is a very good website...You can either order the kits online or find them in certain stores...Kits are very easy to do...Clear and simple instructions...Results are delivered to your email inbox...You are invited to partake in optional screenings.

Original review: March 7, 2021

I've used both 23&me and Ancestry. Both are good for what they are. Ancestry seems to work well for genealogy IF there are others in the tree that have entered information - friends of ours tried Ancestry and really didn't get much. Whereas 23 is geared more toward medical issues. I really think it would be better if these tests did Both.

Original review: March 6, 2021

The 23andme database base me upon the results of people of another race because I have 11% of that DNA. The physical traits they match me with are usually of native Europeans from West Europe. I was told it was unlikely I had curly or coily hair despite being 88% of African descent. I also regret handing my genetic information over to this company because of how they hand information over to government agencies and want to make more information public. It can be used to find criminals, but people in power with bad intentions can use genetic information and this company hasn't been firm on telling their customers they will fight to protect their information from a person or persons with a lot of power.

Original review: March 5, 2021

I ordered a kit from 23andMe and done the test and sent it back. While waiting and waiting with no answer I call the company and they have absolutely no record of having my test back and I am so highly upset over this, because my DNA results could be anywhere and used for Lord only knows what so I would NOT RECOMMEND 23andme EVER.

Original review: March 4, 2021

I think the site is thorough and well thought out. It has an abundance of information that is very insightful and helpful. I did have a little difficulty finding a couple of the areas of concern, like the "family tree". I also would personally like to have a "quick link" to an area specifically for immediate family. With all of that being said, I was still very satisfied and impressed with the technology and the thoroughness of the information provided.

Original review: March 3, 2021

Some of the testing they have conducted are specific to certain ethnic backgrounds and are, therefore, not relevant to my ethnic background. I was disappointed that the research was only specific to my maternal background. I would have to actually have a male member of my father’s family connect in order to get that info. My father died when I was four, and my paternal half-brother and I are not close (we’re not close, and he would never go for 23&Me). Discovering info relating to my paternal heritage is what was most important to me. I wasn’t interested in “connecting” to find more family. The thought of finding even more ne’r do wells on my mother’s side of the family does not appeal to me.

The continuous requests to complete and update health information gets to be a bit much at times. I know they need the data to make the system work, and I have kept up w/ it. But, if you sign up, you really need to understand that you must contribute data in order to make the system work. Overall, I have found the info on 23&Me to be appreciable, despite not finding it overtly specific to me.

Original review: March 2, 2021

Our Great Grandmothers' Mother and Father migrated to Duluth MN from Helsinki Finland while they were about to give birth to our so Loved Grandmother. If they hadn't none of our Family would exist. Since 23andMe we have connected with family from all over the World. I only wish it wasn't so costly. I'd buy one for all our family and friends. Incredible dna testing. Which they continually update!

Original review: March 1, 2021

I loved learning about my DNA and where my ancestors came from. I also like the follow up questions and surveys. There is always something new to learn and 23andMe keeps me informed. 23andMe stays on top of current topics.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2021

I was not very satisfied due to the inconclusiveness of the test, and the delayed response on results, but it was comprehensive enough to begin the genealogy tracing and racial background started with the initial and final results from said testing.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2021

Apparently comparable to Ancestry.com. It would be nice to have a bit more drill down, you know, more detail into specific regions of my background. But, it is what it is. I was deciding between the two major companies but got this one as a gift.!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

I bought the 23andMe DNA test when they were first offered, and I bought it mainly for the health insights. I like both the health component as well as the ancestry component. I found them both interesting and informative.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2021

I found this to be a very reputable company. It is a great way to connect to relatives and to trace your ancestry. It is entirely private and secure. You can rest assured your info is going nowhere without your permission.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

Pros: 23andMe does seem to generate a pretty comprehensive genetic report and has accurately predicted certain genetic traits that I have. Cons: The CEO of 23andMe is the sister of the CEO of YouTube. Considering what has happened with YouTube, that makes me very nervous. 23andMe also asks some very personal questions that could be very compromising should the info ever get leaked or sold. Paranoid? Perhaps... But it's not as if major sites haven't gotten hacked in the past or sell users information, so Caveat Emptor definitely applies here.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

I love this kit and have been a repeat customer, having bought kits for friends and family as gifts. The results are easy to understand and allow for correcting more ambiguous results. I like that you can download the raw data and upload to other genealogy services. Anytime I experienced an issue (like when my boyfriend forgot to stabilize his sample before mailing it in), customer service was responsive and quick to help (they mailed him another kit and had his results processed at a closer lab so as to prevent further delays). Whenever new information, reports, or family members are available to view, you'll receive an update. I do wish the cost was lower because it would make it more accessible to more people, but there are programs that can help certain customers get tests for less or free. You can also upgrade to higher tiers if you want more features in the future. The more people that test, the more family you might find at your dinner table.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

The Ancestry kit is great and by answering all of the surveys you can really learn a lot about yourself and your health. The surveys cover all aspects of health and wellness to develop an accurate profile.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

As more people provide their DNA, the database changes and updates, so it's great to keep going back to the reports and seeing how things shift. Plus they add new reports all the time. The analysis is very in depth, providing significant information.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

23andMe gave me information about myself I couldn’t have thought possible!!! It even linked me to Royalty!!!! This service is AWESOME!!!! Everyone needs to do this test, WOW doesn’t even begin to say what you may find out!!!!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

Knowing our heritage is something I believe is very important. It's about Knowing who we are, who our ancestors were, and more. And 23andMe is more. They're interested in how we contribute to our habits and health issues in our inherited DNA. I'm enjoying this adventure.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

I have had 23andMe for several years and now they have two step verification. I called because they did not send the verification code. I was told that I would need the Authentication App for 23and Me. Or I could have them suspend the account and send in a form with a copy of my drivers licence. This app is for my personal DNA history and when you purchase they only want your Name and date of birth and payment. They do not need my confidential information. I do not trust that if they get hacked they would protect my information. As it stands right now any information hacked from 23andMe would tell you who is my 5th cousin removed 6 times. I am sharing this so people know what they are signing up for with this company.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2021

I've been receiving emails from 23andMe for the past three years and they are always very friendly and helpful if I have any questions. I get updates about once a month listing relatives or people with the same DNA as me even though they might be 4th or 5th removed but it is very interesting to see what they have found. I have been in touch with a couple of people that match my DNA so that was exciting.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2021

I was an early adopter and liked some of their early website features. They went through a massive update few years ago and removed some of that original content. That was disappointing... They also do not connect family members correctly all the time. Example: my half-brother is sharing health/reports with me, flagged as my half brother in the system. When I want to see my father's line, 23and me reports that I need to connect with a family member like brother, etc. I am already connected. My half brother and I share the same father.. so, not sure the issue. Stuff like that is annoying. Still better than ancestry.com's version though....in my opinion.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2021

I guess I anticipated a bit more on the medical front instead of mostly genealogical background for 23andMe. They did provide an update about a year later that shows a marked difference in ancestry make-up based on their latest input from their growing database. You can participate in surveys to help hone their data, purely optional.

23andMe Company Information