23andMe

• 0%
  • 2%
  • 96%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 23andMe?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 23andMe?

Reviewed Dec. 25, 2023

Hard to build tree, most DNA matches don't show trees, cannot write a profile. I'm a part of 4 other DNA sites. This is one of the worst. It was a waste of money considering it was the most expensive.

Reviewed Dec. 17, 2023

Buyer Beware! Because 23andMe was offering a special promotion, I signed up for the Plus membership. I received a confirmation email stating: "Price $29.00/year. Your annual membership billing cycle will begin on July 30, 2022 and will auto-renew at $29.00 on July 30 of each year thereafter." But this year I was charged $79.00; an overcharge of $50.00! I did not receive the advance email 23andMe claims to send, alerting me to the upcoming charge. I'm still fighting with them to try and get my money back. The person I spoke to in my first phone call appeared not to really understand English and was just repeatedly mouthing words she'd been told to say.

The last thing I was told was that the problem would be sent to a specialized department and someone would email me in 3-5 days. I haven't heard from anyone. I just tried calling again and even though it is during their business hours I got a recording saying that "No agents are available, please call back." I tried to leave a review on the 23andMe site but couldn't figure out how to do so. There are other, much better, companies for genetic testing and info. Save yourself grief and don't choose this one.

Reviewed Dec. 12, 2023

I bought a DNA kit from them, and ask for the DNA raw data, Call several times for the same matter and nothing. The person who takes the call, is not from USA and when you speak with them, looks like they are reading a script and the end they say, "Someone from higher department will call you back." That never happens, you call again, the same script.

Reviewed Nov. 30, 2023

I paid the 100 dollar subscription and received the test kit. After returning the test I received an email notification that my sample was usable and I should check back after 20 November for result status. When I went to log back in I found I had misplaced my password so I clicked the reset link and got a message that a security key was mailed to me. Nothing showed up so I tried again. No luck. Called cust service and was told they could not help and a specialist might get back to me in 6 weeks.

Reviewed Nov. 18, 2023

I bought a 23andMe gift package. I paid in full. As part of the delivery info, I was required to submit the receiver's email address. The next day, the gift receiver received an invoice email to pay for the gift, and she was flooded with 23andMe promotional emails asking her to purchase more products since the gift package I bought was not good enough. I highly recommend not buying 23andMe gift packages. Also, their customer support is exclusively overseas and won't be able to help you.

Reviewed Oct. 9, 2023

This organization is a scam. They delivered my results via email, but my sister's test involved an account created on the 23andMe website. Their customer service has been unresponsive, with unanswered phone calls and lengthy email response times. When I did manage to contact them, they claimed my email wasn't associated with any account and declined my refund request.

Reviewed Sept. 24, 2023

You buy the product expecting to get detailed results about your health. E.g., is my heart healthy? Is depression in my genes? Are my kids allergic to nuts? But that info requires more money. Don’t worry though - the product you paid for will tell you whether you’re likely to go bald or get red cheeks when you drink. It’s just frustrating to think they could have solutions to their client's health problems but won’t divulge because their client can’t afford it.

Reviewed Sept. 19, 2023

Cool product. Seems like a lot of mixed reviews but honestly from what I've heard anyway most of these companies are similar price wise and in regards to paying for subscriptions and add ons but I like 23andme better. I find them easier to navigate over some of the competitors. My wife's gonna give it a go next.

Reviewed July 19, 2023

I got my test done in 2013, when I was still married. A few weeks ago, I tried to link my 23andMe results with my Ancestry.com results. To my surprise, I was no longer able to access them because I deactivated the old email address I was using at the time. When I contacted support to update my email address, they gave me the runaround, asked me to provide proof of identity, and get a copy of my divorce papers, and fill out a bunch of paperwork. Just to update an email address. After an insane amount of back and forth with a support person named Alex who clearly was not interested in helping with this simple request, I just asked them to close my case and I will get my DNA information elsewhere.

Reviewed June 17, 2023

They ask you information about hereditary diseases in your family before giving you the results. They do this to force you to subscribe for $70 a month, if you want to receive reports on those specific diseases. I felt robbed.

Reviewed May 15, 2023

I purchased a 23andMe kit for myself after having just done so for my wife. I sent the test results prior to 3/15. Here we are 2 months later and I check on the results. The site claims it was never delivered! Then we I alerted "customer service". First they said they would send a replacement kit. Then 5 minutes later they claimed the email address I was communicating with wasn't associated with the account. So 23andMe has resorted to potentially scamming customers as they've never turned a profit (-103% margins)!!! Ribs are touching and it's fat cutting time! Better off going with better financially positioned competitors.

Reviewed April 21, 2023

I provided my Saliva test per instructions. No results. No customer service. I have tried to get a refund to no avail. The CEO and executive staff are grossly underqualified. As a C-level tech executive and president of an LLC, I know more about DNA testing than they do. I worked in contract law for 30 years. You do not have the right to insist I have no business relationship with you. Money changed hands, hence a business relationship exists.

Reviewed Jan. 30, 2023

I wanted to end the company's paid service that provided me with reports on an ongoing basis. I found the reports underwhelming. When I first signed up, I insisted that my subscription NOT be automatically renews each year. The person helping me could not guarantee me of that but said that I would be plenty of notices before my subscription was automatically renewed. Last month I found out that my subscription had been automatically renews only when I saw the $29 deduction on my bank statement. I did not receive any renewal notices., not even one. I checked my junk files and did not find any notices of an upcoming renewal.

When I called support to ask that my subscription be cancelled and my $29 refunded, the guy (Rolland) assured me that the company policy was "no refunds" under any circumstances. I cancelled my subscription on the spot and asked that my files be closed immediately. I will not do business with a company that puts profits above customers, especially when it's such a small amount of money.

Verified purchase

Reviewed Nov. 22, 2022

My girlfriend is a biology major and convinced me to buy into a membership and dan sequencing from the company "23andMe", which is owned by Google and has great review on google. The results were underwhelming to say the least, received a dozen research quizzes before receiving my results and the only accurate thing were my European origins. I didn't get any insights in anything else, not in diseases and not even in trait, where even my eyes were not sequenced for color or shape. A total scam.

Reviewed Sept. 25, 2022

I have read through the complaints and was astounded by the similar complaints. I have not been able to access my account for almost a year now. I have contacted customer support, sent password protected documents, mailed my ID as requested, and crickets. I want my data and I want my information removed from this company's website.

Reviewed Sept. 21, 2022

I have been unable to log in to this site. I had to previously go through customer service to get onto the site. Repeated problems. Now, I just want to the dump the subscription I have been worthlessly paying for. Almost impossible to reach anyone by phone, and then they say they will forward an email (since I can’t access the site), and I haven’t received anything. Really miffed, that they can use your DNA as they please, if you miss checking one of the op-out boxes on the application. They certainly Don’t make that clear, and it should be illegal.

Reviewed Aug. 21, 2022

I spent the money. Did the test. 8 months later they canceled me without notice. I can't get on at all. They didn't ask for money subscription of anything. I will be doing Ancestry and telling others to do the same. Hopefully I can pick up where I left off.

Reviewed July 9, 2022

In order to send in sample and get results you have to register. In order to register you have to have a 14 digit code which allegedly is on the vile sent. There is no such number, therefore, you can't register. There is no customer service on the weekend. Would like to just have something go easily for what you pay.

Reviewed July 3, 2022

I am a customer of 23andMe. I order 3 kits with them. I do not receive updates for my ancestry feature. I reached several times to customer support and they do not help. I have the impression that this is a waste of money. Customer support do not work in 23andMe.

Reviewed June 3, 2022

I sent out our kits four and a half weeks ago. The tracking information is unavailable and the customer service was completely unhelpful. They don’t care about helping me find my shipment and only wanted to send a new one and make me wait even longer. Only one solution to an issue that has probably happened before. They also didn’t refund me the correct amount. They only want to make money at this point. I was so excited to learn about my ancestry. I’ll just try a different company. If you order pray nothing goes wrong because they WILL NOT HELP YOU.

Reviewed April 29, 2022

1) They lie and say they are in California until one tells you they are in the Philippines.
    2) They blame the customer even when you have evidence as proof!
    3) They do not listen nor do they care what you have to say… No supposedly escalating your issue will not help you as the supervisors are unprofessional.
    4) They lie about the procedure.

5) There is no other easy way of contacting the company so Customer Service agents and reps get away with their unprofessionalism as no senior management will ever know.

You might as well beat your head against the wall as it would be more fun!

Reviewed April 24, 2022

The test is OK, as advertised, but it doesn't provide me with new knowledge about my ancestry. I already got the same breakdown from other sites, so this was a bit boring. I am interested in my more ancient past now for my research. I took the Bronze Age DNA test (GenePlaza), which was a lot of fun, but I want to learn more. I am happy if anyone knows companies that provide home ancient DNA tests.

Reviewed March 28, 2022

I've had an okay experience with this site, but I signed in today and some random person was put in as my maternal grandmother! I knew my maternal grandmother and all my grandparents and great grandparents. This person is in no way even related.

Reviewed March 22, 2022

Asked for a refund for a test my mom paid $125.00 a extra genetic results. Thought it would goes off of her DNA, not so fast. You have to do a survey and your answers are based on what you click on. It isn't personal like they claim it to be. Nothing in the "genetic results" showed anything pertinent to her. Called to see if we can get a refund, customer service was extremely rude. You cannot talk a supervisor due only being emailed, that definitely shows something on their company. Will Not Do Business Again!!!

Reviewed March 20, 2022

The original results made sense, fit the general profiles from known ancestors and countries of origin. Then some time later new results were posted because, as it was explained, new algorithms were developed. They changed my mother from her mostly Germanic background to being 57% Norwegian. My father remained nearly 100% Norwegian. I'm extremely grateful I received the first review so I remain certain I am related to my 5 siblings! It should have bothered the company to have such a dramatic change. I suggested an error but they're absolutely sure that's not possible. They should be horrified that either their database was worthless to begin with or someone has done a horrible job with the analogs.

Reviewed March 17, 2022

My wife and I purchased 2 kits in Nov of 2021 to better understand our family genetics/history as well as that for our kids. Mine came back with great information. My wife's came back as "analysis is unsuccessful". The company sent a replacement kit which she completed the same way I had done mine and sent it in. Once again, the test was unsuccessful. I called and spoke with customer service about this in an attempt to get a 3rd kit for either my wife or for our kids so they can see their complete family history. 23andMe said they cannot send a 3rd one and that we would need to ask for a refund on their site (which is broken and not allowing refunds) or buy a new kit at the full retail price (not the discounted price we purchased both kits for back in Nov).

Needless to say, having only half of our family history for our kids defeats the purpose of purchasing the 23 and me kits in the first place. The company doesn't seem willing or able to help rectify this situation and either send another kit for my wife or kids. When the analysis works, it is great information. However, the ability to help ensure that the kits work properly or when there are issues, to be able to resolve those is why I am giving this a 1 star review.

Reviewed March 12, 2022

I paid extra for the health part so I paid $169 dollars. I did Ancestry and 23 and me on the same day. I had them both pulled up on my computer to pay for the subscriptions but my computer rebooted and the offers to both disappeared. I canned ancestry and explained to them what happened and they fixed the issue. I called 23 and me and they basically said that they didn’t have that kind of deal for the membership and I told them it was literally just on my screen and my computer rebooted and it disappeared. The guy basically called me a liar saying that that doesn’t happen. I have emailed them 3 times and have gotten no responses from anyone from either email that they have. I paid all this money and can’t even see all my results because some of them are locked… I’m just going to stick with ancestry and have my family do that vs spending money on 23 and me and they don’t even care.

Reviewed Feb. 19, 2022

This company DNA test is totally inaccurate. My mixed-race genetic ancestry showed with more than 1% Native American from my mother side, this was totally unexpected and felt it was a joke, because my mother immigrated from Asian just 25 years ago, no one from her family had lived in American ever, if I have more than 1% Native American, my mother would have enough % to claim as Native American heritage. I also had substantial amount French/German from my father side while my father and my full sister had none, how could this happen?

Even though 23andMe’s "findings" on my DNA are wrong, but 23andme still had the nerve to refuse a retake to verify their results or a refund. 23andme knew my result was inaccurate but did not want to admit there is a problem with their testing method by providing second test. Basically, 23andme only cares selling their test kits, not test results. This company is a totally fraud. So please stay away from this company, do not waste your money to purchase DNA test kit from 23andme, go somewhere else.

Reviewed Jan. 31, 2022

I ordered a 23andMe kit in Dec 2021, at the same time we ordered Ancestry kits for other family members. The Ancestry results have been back for weeks. The 23andMe results are stalled somewhere. At first I got updates "We received your kit", "Your kit was sent to the lab", "We are genotyping your sample." Then nothing. For weeks no updates and the tracker on the site has not moved. It is well past their longest projected time. I just spent far too much time on chat with customer service. They could tell me nothing and kept repeating the same information back to me that I had supplied at the beginning of the chat.

Long story short, they have no idea where the sample is, when it will be finished, or anything else about it. They can merely tell me that it "usually takes X amount of time." Of course this time is well past. I asked for a refund so I can just order from a different company, but because it is already "in process" they refuse to refund. They offered an upgrade to get more information... which would be great if they had any information at all about actually GETTING the results. My next step is to try and do a charge-back but it has been so long that I don't know if that will work either. I do not recommend.

Verified purchase

Reviewed Dec. 8, 2021

Scam low Accuracy. 23 hours ago. After you take the test you're told it’s a 50% accuracy. Unless you have your siblings and parents test also. One must be a male. Every page of the info you get with your test is a advertisement letting you know your Whole family should be tested. I have tested with other companies without having my whole family tested. And got much more accurate info. The DNA matches are so distant and none have trees or any information that can help you find any family member you may be looking for. The only close matches I got, I already had.

23andMe Company Information