Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.30/5

23andMe Reviews

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

I purchased 2 kits for my parents as Christmas gifts in mid November 2019. Since we spent christmas overseas, I waited until January 12 to collect the specimens so I would put it in the mail once in the United States. To my surprise, the kits were already expired. I contacted their customer service department and after a frustrating conversation, the agent refunded my money. Not only I ended up with a useless chritsmas gift for my parents but I ended up feeling insulted when the agent decided to refund my money "as a one time thing courtesy", like if this was my fault. I cannot believe how incompetent this company acts.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

After my daughter purchased a complete kit for the family including me and my wife, they replied asking me for a second sample because their laboratory tried to extract DNA from my sample, but unfortunately the concentration wasn't high enough to meet their standards!!!. Wow I have never heard something like that before. I'm sure they misplaced my sample and they came up with that false statement. What a waste time with these unprofessional company.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

It was almost impossible to register my kit online. They rope you into taking a genetic and health survey. I took over an hour trying to complete the survey. I finally had to call a company rep, only to find out the survey is optional. The rep was helpful, but I still had to call bact to complete the registration. This rep helped me complete the registration, but she was not happy about it.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

I made up a name and didn’t give my real name. I’ve never used this name with ANYTHING....ever!. Even though I am satisfied with the genetic results, I’m now bombarded with email addressed to this fictitious name. Now I’m glad that I didn’t use my real name as I can confirm without doubt that 23 and Me sold my information. This is NOT ok with me.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

I got this kit Free so I decided to try it out. My results were totally incorrect. I have no Filipino blood. I am of Hawaiian ancestry which it does not even mention. The data is so way off that I am so glad I didn't purchase this kit. Then when I called customer service the girl didn't know what she was doing and put me on hold and then forgot why she put me on hold. I do NOT recommend purchasing this kit.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 23andMe?

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

The survey they sent was poorly designed. It went on and on when groups of issues could have been handled more succinctly. When a response to not fit well with their inept program, responding was impossible. I had no choice but to skip a poorly designed question. I will never recommend this service to anyone who asks. Contacting the organization is evidently impossible.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

I bought the health and Ancestry kit, but after I registered it as instructed, I got a message that I would not get the health report. In order to get it, I had to pay additional $$. I was surprised because I paid for that part and the product description clearly said Health and Ancestry kit. I called the customer care number to ask for a reason, was asked to send proof of payment and order date, etc. How ridiculous! Their whole system is not working properly. Very frustrated and disappointed. Had I read all the reviews before purchasing, I would not have bought another company's product.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

I joined in 2012 prior to the problems with the FDA. I bought the kit out of curiosity. They used a different genotype chip, and I am not certain that the new V5 chip is better in terms of ancestry or health- so I haven't purchased an "upgrade". I am a health care professional, and am familiar with genetics testing a little more than average. I'm basically warning people to take their raw data results with a grain of salt, like 23 dutifully says in their legal disclaimers. Health, of course, is a serious matter, and if you are concerned about something, find out more, if possible, about your family health history.

In addition, discuss it with a genetics counselor or your health care provider, and see if clinical testing is warranted. You may find different results and interpretations of those results. For example, They don't check for all the known genes that may increase one's breast cancer risk. By the way, "increased risk" of a disease via a single SNP may make your chances of getting the disease go from 1/10,000 to 1/5000- So a "2X higher risk" may be negligible, but may cause undue anxiety in some.

I don't trust my ancestry results that much, either. They've changed a few times since I started in 2012. I think it was partly because I didn't put down my known ancestral origins in the beginning, and when I did, it seemed like my "ancestry composition" changed shortly thereafter. It's fun, but as far as I know I have no ancestors from the Iberian Peninsula. Maybe I'll have a chat with mom...

In addition, you may inadvertently find a long-lost relative that you wish to remain "lost"-like my husband's estranged brother. I've cancelled my son's and my participation in relative sharing, because he'd likely see that my son is his nephew, or a close relative. I did see that some of my cousins are now participating, but I feel too uncomfortable corresponding with them- I'm kind of shy. They just used their initials, but I know exactly who they are. Other than that, it's been swell these past 7 years...

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

Not what they advertise. I was looking to find family and nothing they sent me was relevant. The names seemed random and were not my family. Very..very disappointing. So sorry I wasted my money. Not what I expected and not true to their advertising explanation of what they promise.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2019

I have been doing genealogical work for 47 years and pretty much know my origins. I know some linguistics, history of areas and movements of peoples. I was 75% satisfied with the information that I know is most probably correct. I then got hampered by the medium they provide so that one can contact the person. There is a box provided. I never could get back into that box. It would not accept my cursor. Forgot to add some surnames in which was interested. I never was able to enter additional names. My cursor was not accepted. I suggest that those who use this contact box first put their e-mail address, phone number, address, or something where one can make contact with each other, again in the first sentence.

I find there is limited room. It is hard to find a place or number where one can get help from 23andMe. What am I doing wrong? After a 45 min. searching, I found one place to give comments or ask a question, and there was never any return back. There doesn't seem to be any customer service via online. All I can find is a phone number to purchase the service. And I am going to try this, but I have little hope after I see some of way other customers have been treated. I also feel that many people do this for fun and really are not interested in genealogical connections. I got 1,069 surnames, and contacted 10 on the second cousin/third cousin level as I recognized surnames. I heard from two very interested, people but I am unable to contact them again. Some people are a little leery about initially giving out some information initially. 23andMe gives one advice about initial contact letters, but they don't tell how to use them as a go-between.

23andMe Company Information