2.82/5

Get matched with the best Home Security System.

23andMe

Get matched with the best Home Security System.

23andMe Reviews

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

I'm getting sick of all the mess during my 23andme process. I ordered 23andme box at the same time than my friend and I received it 1 week before him. Still he got his FINAL DNA RESULTS and I just got a message about failed sample extraction. (Why my sample was still at the first step, why do they do with my parcel in the Netherlands seriously.) I started in beginning of July, we are in September. I had to wait 10 days to got my replacement box instead of 4,5 days. Because I contacted the customer care about the delay they canceled my box and send it me again. (ANOTHER WEEK TO WAIT.)

One day I received finally my replacement box to learn after sent it that it was my first BOX. So now I have to send my sample for the third time. The customer service is really fast but is it useful, I don't know. I CANNOT even following my parcel. I'm from Europe and my box has to come to The Netherlands because it's shipped to USA, so it's TOO LONG. I would not know if they throw it.

Original review: July 18, 2019

I completed this over 2 years ago. They do not give you the results. You have to log into their site and have to retrieve the test results. When I tried to log in now they have purged my account and I no longer can see, share or compare my results with my family and friends. I feel this was misleading as they never said you cannot get the report without using their login site. Who wants to go thru that each time they want to reference back to it. Why would you ever delete me so I can no longer see it. I paid for it, it is Mine so why do I not have it. So disappointed. So please be mindful of this when making your decision.

Original review: July 3, 2019

23andMe provided me with my results and they were totally inaccurate. Most people do not take the time to complete their family trees, so they take what they are provide by 23andMe as face value. Lesson learned, do not trust what they provide you. I have completed my family tree back 10 generations and know for a fact then I am 100% from France and everyone migrated to Canada between 1620 and 1700. 23andMe shows my ancestry timeline as having people coming from England, Ireland, Greece, Italy and Spain. Which is not correct. Do not trust or believe the results they provide, they are most likely inaccurate. I have also used Ancestry.com and they are 100% accurate.

Original review: June 29, 2019

Paid for the test and sent samples as specified in the instructions. Spent a couple of hours answering ridiculous questions to be able to register. After a few weeks I was told my sample was inadequate and a second kit was sent. Same process again and sent the second sample. Again, after a few weeks I was told they could not extract enough DNA and that their lab could not give me results. They refuse even to refund my money and advised me to contact another company. I am considering getting my lawyer involved, it is going to cost more than what I can recover but I consider it a moral obligation to fight a scam like this and let other people go through the same experience. They are heavily advertising now to get more victims in their scam.

Original review: June 27, 2019

This is a bs rip off scam! First, lead times was ridiculous. They surveyed and the info I provided came back on the report. Imagine that, no relatives more than 3%. I was informed by my PC doctor that an Alzheimer's test does not even exist!! My children purchased this test for me and I requested a refund. Took multiple back and forth emails with their decision NOT to refund my children’s credit card as I am a dissatisfied purchaser. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about 23andMe?

Original review: June 26, 2019

What a waste of money. Very confusing. Got more information from Google. Family names not even mention. My parents were born in Scotland. Again nothing, but if you send more money they can look deeper. Save your money.

Original review: June 11, 2019

Information on relatives 23 provides is bad. They identified another member as my "daughter" which was totally bogus. They identified another member as my "granddaughter". Also bogus. Along with hundreds of fictitious "cousins". My real daughter and son were tested by 23andme yet they never were identified and unavailable in my search.

Original review: June 11, 2019

Today I found out that 23andMe does not separate our the Jewish community in their findings. I paid for a DNA analysis, and the response I got back was that I was Jewish. Jewish is not a nationality. When I asked for the breakdown of nationality, the response I got back was: "Jews are similar DNA group that come from a community that is the same, so we don't break out the population as they are close-knit."

Jewish individuals can be grouped in the same genetic cohort as a result of these genetic similarities. Therefore, regardless of whether an Ashkenazi Jewish individual's ancestors came from Poland, Russia, Hungary, Lithuania, or any other place with a historical Jewish population, they are genetically similar to the same Ashkenazi Jewish group.“ Being Jewish has nothing to do with where my ancestors are from. This site is not only Anti-Semitic but a scam. It seems that the only group that 23andMe will know break out is the Jewish population, all other religions, and faiths don’t have this issue. It may be time to shut this site down.

Original review: June 8, 2019

If you happen to have any dysfunctional relatives anywhere in your tree, do not purchase a 23andMe DNA kit. Because if you do, and you opt-in to DNA relative sharing, you may find that it provides a forum for those who may want to harass you, or send inappropriate messages. Sadly, no matter how hard you try to get 23andMe to assist in preventing such an issue in the future, they will not help you.

They do not care what has been said. They do not offer any means of deleting said hurtful messages, so you are forever stuck being reminded of such, every single time that you login. That’s right, the message is permanent. It cannot be deleted. They will not notify the member that their terms were violated. They will not assist you in blocking said person from contacting you in the future. They will not tell the member not to contact you, and if said person blocked you, there is no way to block them.

Further, all the person has to do is opt-in to DNA relative sharing again, at any moment, to further harass and communicate with you again. The only solution offered to me is to opt-out of relative sharing, which defeats the purpose of the dna testing in the first place. I’m wanting to grow my tree, expand my roots, and connect with relatives. I am so very disappointed by the lack of compassion exhibited by this organization.

Original review: June 5, 2019

My interest in “23andMe” was for health precautions for my husband and me. First I was inundated with questionnaires and tests to build a database to provide “what is typical” for people of my age, lifestyle and ethnicities. When I received the test results I found the information was “general” information and could be very misleading, which could give people false expectations. For example for the BRCA1/BRACA2 my results were “0 variants detected” yet I had breast cancer four years ago and am still under the care of an oncologist.

Upon further review of the report they had numerous disclaimers about not testing for all possible variants of the gene. And the information for my husband was nearly 50% incorrect. So basically, spending $400 for my husband and me to have our DNA tested did NOT result in any meaningful information. The ethnicities information was accurate, but we both knew our backgrounds. The test results reminded me of the generalities when reading monthly horoscopes in a magazine!

23andMe Company Information