Serta Mattress

Compare Mattresses

Research top Mattresses recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

We are a locally owned mattress company in the Pensacola area. Today we carry all major brands and pride ourselves in maintaining honest relationships with our customers as well as with our vendors. With that said we would like to bring to light some disturbing behavior we have experienced with Serta in regard to its dealings with small business owners. In April of 2015 my husband and I approached Serta about opening a store. My husband has been in the industry for over 12 years so we understood the importance of establishing well known vendors from the beginning. Serta was more than eager to assist us. They helped us find our location and sold us $10,000 worth of merchandise for our floor. Having backing from this major company gave us the confidence to move forward with securing a lease and investing our life savings into opening our family business.

However, once the merchandise arrived and we had arranged it on our floor, we received a call from Serta stating that a large mattress chain in the area was upset about us opening and Serta decided to change their distribution. They informed us they would be refunding our money and sending a truck to pick up our mattresses!!! This could have ruined our business as well as our family and many people in the community encouraged us to take legal action. However, we decided instead to pour our energy into making our company work despite this setback. By the grace of God, our business not only survived, but thrived. Interestingly, about 6 months ago Serta approached us about possibly carrying their products again. My initial response was NO, Never Again!

However, my husband who had previously sold Serta for so many years convinced me to sit down and listen to what they were proposing. This time it was a different representative who appeared to be an honest Christian woman. She gave us her word that this would never happen again and that if it did she would fight for us. Reluctantly, I agreed and once again we purchased thousands of dollars worth of merchandise from Serta. Over the following six months everything appeared to be running smoothly. We sold their products and paid them early every single time. Strangely, three weeks ago my husband received a phone call from our Serta representative informing us that she was very upset that we had purchased merchandise from Tempurpedic and would have to report us to her boss!!!

My husband was quite surprised and informed her that we had never discussed or signed anything stating we wouldn't carry additional merchandise from other vendors. In fact, all the other stores within our franchise carry all the major brands as well so we could not understand the issue. Needless to say, yesterday we received a phone call from Serta stating that they would be closing our account in 30 days due to distribution changes. Our purpose in writing this review is not only to let the community know how little Serta thinks of small locally owned businesses, but also to caution other business owners when dealing with this company. BUYER BEWARE!

This is the worst mattress you can ever buy. I actually sell mattresses and furniture for a living and had heard all these great things about this mattress. I couldn't afford full retail so I bought a Sam's membership to buy iComfort. I had to rent a truck to go pick it up (over an hour away) got it home and as soon as I went to put it in position the handle ripped. Then I was noticing a huge amount of material with no support... Checked the other side of my king bed and the foam had collapsed on the side with a huge side lump. I called Serta about this. (so you'd think ok warranty it's defective) They said I had to contact Sam's. So I called Sam's.

They said I had to bring it back to them. (So because it's defective I have to pay another 100.00 to drive this thing back and take a day off work) Serta should have followed the warranty and sent someone out to look at the mattress and replace. I do not and will not recommend any of my customers to buy this mattress or even Serta for that matter. 1,200 for a mattress to not last a month is a problem. I actually went to their sales corporate rep for Serta and his answer was "well it happens."

Although I do have to wonder if Serta has even considered who they actually didn't support. Considering in 2 months time I have sold 300K in mattresses alone and yes I speak to every customer. Not a good idea for Serta not to realize who they screw over. So now I want you to know who not to go to. Please don't waste your hard earned money like I have.

Bought a Serta mattress in Feb. 2014 and it is broken down on both sides. Also there is a hump in the middle of mattress. My wife is 78. I am 82 and the Serta people want me to take bed apart and photograph seven photos. I got out of hospital on the 14 of this month and can not lift more than 10 lbs for at least 6 weeks. I told Serta all this and they said unless I take all the pics they would not be able to consider a replacement. My suggestion to anyone my age is to stay away from Sears and Serta. They are a bunch of money grabbing companies that do NOT care about the older people.

We purchased a Serta King almost 2 years ago. If I recall correctly it had a 20 year warranty and cost about $2200. It was great at first, but roughly 9 months later my wife and I began developing back pains. At first we thought they were from a couple of old chairs in our home office and replaced the chairs. But as the intensity of the pain increased it dawned on us that our "beautiful" 20+ year mattress was the culprit!

After checking the mattress with an 2' straight edge, we discovered that the mattress developed depressions on both sides around the areas where our butts generally reside. Considering I'm only 5'7" and 165# and my wife only 5"2" 120#, this should not have happened under any circumstance. The warranty stated that the mattress would be replaced if the depression was over 1 1/2" and since the current depression is "only" 1 1/4" what am I supposed to do, further destroy our backs while waiting for the depression to reach 1 1/2"? Or maybe we should host a dinner party on the mattress until it deepens? And if you do reach that 1 1/2" mark, you'll be given a replacement at a service charge of $300 (?) plus inspection and other fees. This is a crock of you know what! The mattress firm that handles crap like this should be out of business and Serta should be shut down!

SERTA is a terrible company. We purchased one bed 9/9/15, and by March 2016 it had to be replaced... Our second bed SERTA Springview now (8-2017) is now SAGGING 2 inches with no person on the bed in different places, and we took all the photos of the bed and realized there was no LAW TAG, company Said there had to be one, and There is not, not even a place where any tag could have been... They are calling me a liar, and I am trying to get SERTA to send someone out to see there is no LAW TAG.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Serta Mattress?

We purchased a Serta I Cloud mattress approximately five years ago. The mattress was super comfortable for about the first three years however, the memory foam has broken down and the bed is now excruciatingly painful to sleep on. We followed the directions and never put hot sheets on the bed and we purchased the special mattress cover to ensure if liquid was spilled on the bed, it would not cause the foam to break down yet it still did. Serta will not replace the mattress unless there is a 3/4 inch sag or indentation so we are stuck with a $3,800 bed that causes horrendous back pain and that we can barely roll out of because it has broken down so much. We are NOT happy.

Bought our Serta Merit in mid/late 2014. Within a few months, developed divots in the mattress where our butts are located. Since you can't flip the mattress we constantly have to turn our mattress. We actually turn out mattress also what would normally be the top and bottom, we turn the mattress so that is now right and left sides. Worst mattress and the last Serta we buy. With spending the cost we did, we have to endure this for a few more years before we are 100% Serta free, for good. Not sure where their quality went, of course, that doesn't matter because our issue started within a few months and continues with every clockwise turn. Neither of us are over 180lbs.

My Mom and I were both in the market for a new mattress, so we went to Big Lots and each chose a different Serta mattress. Both were sagging within 3 days of sleeping on them. Big Lots has a 30-day policy where you can get an exchange or refund, so we went and got another Serta hoping it would be better. We have between the 2 of us, now tried 4 different Serta mattresses and all 4 have been total JUNK! I suffer from back pain and these mattresses have made it very painful to even stand up straight when I walk now. I have felt like I've been run over by a train every morning when sleeping on these mattresses. My Mom's hip pain has gotten much worse and now she has developed shoulder pain as well from these horrible beds. My mood and quality of life have both suffered due to lack of sleep.

I am now sleeping on the FLOOR until my Saatva mattress comes in. I kid you not, I'd rather sleep on a bed of NAILS than another Serta mattress. Please warn everyone you know about Serta and if you are considering buying one, PLEASE RECONSIDER! There is no telling how many people have lost their jobs or their marriages on account of sleepless nights because of SERTA! Total CRAP!!!

Dr. Greene Auburn Falls Firm Mattress does not hold up. We bought the mattress in 2014. The mattress is no longer firm! I can no longer sleep on it, makes my back hurt! Do not buy this mattress! The warranty man called and said they would only do anything about the problem. If there is a one to one and a half sag in the mattress with no one on it. This is ridiculous! In other words the warranty is crap! We went for a Serta because we thought this would be the better mattress. We were fooled and you will be also if you buy one!

We purchased a King Infused mattress - in less than one month started to sag & pillow top to loosen up. After paying the inspection fee, Serta said it will be replaced. I mailed the law tags as requested with the check and now Serta disappeared!!! Now 6 month later still Serta wont return calls and never showed up with replacement. Awful company! A scam! A ripoff!!!

I bought the mattress at big lots because it was supposed to be the top of the line mattress. This thing is junk. It can't be turned over and I will be throwing it out because my back has pain every day. I can't move around once I'm in bed because it's not firm, and the sides give way making it dangerous because I have rolled off on the floor. I will be buying an old style cheap firm mattress and it WILL NOT be a Serta!

After trying to sleep on a Serta iComfort hybrid mattress for over a hundred nights, I contacted the major department store where I bought it and was allowed to return it (for a modest restocking fee) and make another selection. Thank goodness (I chose a traditional innerspring by Stearns and Foster and am very pleased)! The Serta was cheaply made and too lightweight. It did not give me proper support and as a result I developed a back ache (that I thought was a kidney problem, but was not). Absolutely no edge support. And hot!! Within minutes of getting into bed, I would become so hot that I to turn back all the cover. I lowered the temperature in my bedroom to 65 degrees and was still too hot (in the month of January, too). My "sinkage," which was drastic, caused no air flow, thus making me hot. Bottom line: I do not recommend this mattress!!! Overpriced and a bad choice!!!

My Serta mattress is one week short of a year old and it is sagging. When it was 2 months old, it was the most comfortable mattress I owned and recommended to people. Not anymore! Less than a year old, and I can't believe the pain my back and hips are in. The warranty states that it must sag 1.5 inches before they replace it. I guarantee that is not the case when you look at it. It is a pillow top mattress, so it doesn't show indentation. However when you slightly push on it, you sag to the middle of the mattress. When you lay on the mattress you sink dramatically! This is a split king mattress and we purchased my husband's on the same day. We have slept on the mattresses the same amount of time and I am of lesser weight. His bed is not like this as of yet. Don't buy a Serta iComfort hybrid! The killer is we still owe $2000 on them. Rip off.

We had a 5 star king size Serta mattress that has shifted 3" and the guy that came out said he has NEVER seen anything like it! Well Serta is trying to blame it on a stain that happened 3 months after they were contacted!! How convenient for Serta!!! I will not EVER buy a Serta product again. A bunch of lying people in warranty department!! My mattress has been shifting since the day we bought that piece of JUNK!!! Box springs fell apart and the company we bought it from went out of business!!! How can a stain have anything to do with it when the stain happened AFTER we contacted Serta??? I'm gonna add pictures, and you be the judge of this rotten company?!?

Bought iComfort Philosopher Firm. Within 3 days I had sagging, uneven hills and valleys, developed hole that drew us into middle of bed. I would have done better on the floor!!! I am the most unhappy that I have been in years. SO IF YOU HAVE ANY BRAINS YOU WILL NOT PURCHASE ANY SERTA AS THEY ARE BY FAR QUALITY. This company will be bankrupt soon. "KARMA BABY." Also it looks as if it were made in a backroom. Terrible workmanship. Unbelievable, unbelievable, unbelievable. Poor, poor, poor!!!

We purchased this "Loveable" bed from QVC in Oct 2015 in King size. Within 6 months it started sagging. An inspector came out, agreed that it was no good. They brought us a new one 6 weeks later. Months ago that one started sagging. We called again. Inspector came out, saw that the new depressions in the bed were over 6 inches deep and said he never saw anything like this in over 30 years. Well they brought us a new one on May 1, 2017 (no box springs) and guess what... It's sagging again after 2 weeks. This is totally unacceptable. We are requesting a new inspection. They are awful to work with. We will NEVER purchase their products again. Our guest room Big Lots bed is 100 times better.

I want to warn anybody who is considering purchasing iComfort Queen Bed, STOP! You may be an arthritis sufferer who has read how wonderful the cooling gel will feel. This is total BS! Why do you think arthritis hurts more in cold weather? The foam in this bed starts to sag in no time. Even somebody without a painful spine will get one from sleeping in this bed.

I have arthritis in my cervical and lumbar spine. I sleep on my back or on my sides. Whatever position that I fall asleep in, I am awoken in two hours or less with excruciating pain in that area, unable to get back to sleep again. I have woken in soo much pain that I am in tears and trembling all over. I go out to the sofa and on my way, I take ** or ** and put my moist heat packs in the microwave. Once I get the pain under control, I am still suffering from anxiety from the experience. This was the most expensive bed that I ever purchased and by far the worst.

I have tried to get assistance from the store where I purchased it and Serta directly on numerous occasions and got nowhere much earlier in this awful experience to current. If there is ever a class action lawsuit, I want to be included for all of the needless pain and suffering that Serta has put me through along with the extra medical attention that I had to endure. I feel so foolish for trusting Serta to manufacture only a quality product and to do right by me. After four years, my nap today was the last straw! I have just purchased another bed.

Received replacement mattress in April 2013 - filed claim for "sink hole" in memory foam in May 2016. Claim denied due to staining. Have had a waterproof mattress cover on since day one that showed no signs of pass through stains. Staining on mattress cover did not match stains on actual mattress foam - unsure where the "stains" came from, but nothing lined up so as to suggest it was caused by my wife or myself. Mattress is hybrid of spring and two layers of memory foam. Very large area of both foam layers split causing you to sink down to the spring level when laying in the bed. Multiple individual springs had punctured out of their sleeves and the metal tore through the foam as pressure was applied from sleeping on the mattress.

Spoke with case manager to argue the facts and was told to file a claim with the mattress protector company - again, protector not defective and used successfully on two previous mattresses with zero staining. Stains only on side of mattress that had the defect, so seems likely that there was a manufacturing issue with the bed itself. Was told by the case manager that even if the stain was water that it would compromise the bed. So the $2500 bed is so fragile that water would eat away at two layers of foam through both a waterproof mattress cover, the actual mattress cover and eat away at the spring casing in order for them to be released.

I went through two rounds of BBB communication over the last year and each time they were just a broken record and offered no resolution aside from staining caused the mattress to fail, not a defect. To make matters worse, we discovered this mattress had no law tag attached ANYWHERE. So either the company that delivered the replacement gave us a used/fake mattress or Serta themselves ordered it.

I purchase the Serta Perfect Sleeper mattress from JCP.com. The mattress were delivered damaged and noted on the delivery receipt. I contacted JCP Furniture and they advised that I needed to contact the delivery co., Baton Rouge delivery. I did and they advised that I needed to contact JCP.com. In the meantime, I had to set up these mattresses for my mother as I had already disposed of her others. The mattresses felt like a hard cardboard box wrapped with material. You could feel this just in putting sheets on the bed?? The mattress top was so light and you could literally feel the springs when you sat and laid on it. I was furious and even more so as it was a surprise for my mom who had just come home from a hospital stay. She never complained but I knew how uncomfortable these cheap, poorly made boxes were.

I contacted JCP Furniture again and to no avail, no assistance. I asked for a supervisor and was told a message would be left. I never received a return call. This has been a never-ending nightmare of constant calls into customer service and warranty. A few days ago I reached out again and received a return call 3 days later from, Abraham @1-888-557-3782 who stated he is the Manager of Serta Warranty Customer service. This person was very rude and antagonizing and all he would continue to say is that I have to prove that this is a warranty issue and a lengthy process.

After being badgered and repeating the same responses over and over, I asked for his manager. He told me his manager is the CEO of the company and he would not have time to speak with me nor would he call me back as he is too busy. This ended our call. This company is a bully who refused to stand behind its product quality and not uphold the 10 year warranty clearly noted on this item. I WILL NEVER PURCHASE FROM JCP Furniture nor SERTA again.

I purchased an IComfort Inception mattress 3 years ago. This is supposedly a firm mattress. While it was very comfortable to start, the support of the mattress degraded quickly and it is now very soft. The mattress has a 10 year warranty, but this is a joke. It only kicks in if there is a visible depression in the mattress. This was an expensive mattress that seems to be very low quality and whose manufacturer does not stand behind it.

After what l thought was carefully deciding to purchase a brand new Serta Mattress and Box Spring only to be totally unhappy and sadly becoming sickened after trying to sleep on my new mattress and box spring. The chemical smell is so bad still yet after 10 days of airing out. l feel nauseous, headaches, and sore throats. Calls to the manufacturing company was a big void. I will never ever buy another Serta product again. The chemical smell is obnoxious.

Savant III Plush Mattress (with adjustable base) - I'm writing this review after yet another sleepless night because of pain. We bought our new bed at RC Willey and it felt great in the store!! Right away my husband and I had a hard time sleeping in it but thought okay new bed it might take a minute to get used to. Tossing and turning, waking up throughout the night with hand, leg, foot numbness and tingling. Waking up with back pain and feeling exhausted from fighting with our bed all night. I wish I had found these reviews first.

I am only 43 & we bought this bed around Black Friday. Well in Oct/Nov I woke up one morning with a kink in my neck and thought I just slept wrong. Nope. It's gotten way worse at a rapid pace. I have severe spinal stenosis along with about 6 other spine disorders. I will show my husband this site when he wakes. I'm getting rid of it immediately. I do feel tortured every night! Yes class action lawsuit please!!! I have actually woke up crying several times. I had no idea a bad mattress could ruin your health so fast and so bad.

Me and my wife bought a iComfort Memory Foam mattress 4 years ago. Well it broke down to a big hole. So we finally got approved for a new one after my wife fought with Serta for 2 months. So we got the new one iComfort Hybrid Extra Firm for my back issues. We have had this bed for 1 month. It's already getting holes in it where you sink down. I advise would be don't buy, they are not worth all the money you pay for them. I have had better beds for a lot less.

We bought the I-series Applause Serta mattress, considered from the salesman of Sears as a firm mattress. It cost about $1300. When it delivered I thought it was a different one from the one I tested at Sears. It was soft and my husband and I are sinking when we sleep. Our back pain is worse and really we are very disappointed. It is a fraud to sell a firm mattress and realize that is so soft that you sink and you have to toss all night!!! The inspection process is ridiculous. They ask photos without nobody on the top to show it sinks on its own. So after I lost a lot of time taking pictures, sending to the customer service they reply to me that I cannot prove what I am saying and cannot reimburse me. I felt like I was going to turn crazy. We try to think what we could do to avoid spend more money to buy a new mattress. Any idea??? DON'T BUY SERTA MATTRESS AND SPECIALLY FROM SEARS!!! THEY WANT ONLY TO SELL!!!

This iComfort Savant Everfeel mattress should be recalled. My husband and I bought this mattress a year ago and we have not had a good night's sleep since. Additionally, we both are having back issues now and are very uncomfortable at night. We are now in the process of buying a new mattress and basically throwing away the $2000 that we spent on the mattress. However our health is more important than the money and getting a good night's sleep is what we're really truly looking forward to. There's absolutely no support in this mattress and I feel that it should be recalled.

Purchased this Serta inner spring mattress on Black Friday 2016. It is now March 2017. A bit over 3 months of sleeping on it, and the sewing threads are coming loose all over the top and sides of the mattress. I sleep alone, I'm about 5'11" tall and weigh 160 pounds. The mattress is always covered with a bedspreads, so no body contact with the mattress material. And yet the threads are coming off by the handful. If after 3 months the threads are coming loose all over, I cannot see this mattress lasting longer than a year! The Serta warranty is worthless, it only covers the springs breaking and/or the mattress sagging, anything else is not covered. Total junk. For what it's worth, this mattress replaced a 20+ year old Simmons inner spring. Instead of throwing out the old mattress I put it in the spare bedroom. I'm now glad I did, I have a feeling I'm going to go back to that old mattress before the year ends! Serta scammed me.

I purchased the Serta Perfect Sleeper Gel Memory Foam Lorabelle Mattress from American Mattress and the chemical off-gassing odor has become unbearable. I have allowed this mattress to air out for 96 hours since purchase and the fumes only seem to be getting worse. The chemical odor has permeated my entire residence and is making me nauseous. I contacted Serta and they recommended that I sprinkle baking soda on the mattress and let it sit for 30 minutes, but that made no difference. I am returning this mattress. DO NOT BUY THIS MATTRESS.

Bought a Perfect Sleeper mattress and box spring from The Firm three months ago. It cost about a thousand dollars, after taxes. I weigh 175 pounds. I tried this bed a few times in a few different stores. When it delivered, I thought they had sent the wrong one. In the store the mattress was made with memory foam. Pretty firm. Felt supported. This one was made of foam. Foam foam. I checked the tags. Seemed to be the same. Didn't know what to think. Felt like I was going crazy.

The mattress is very light and continually shifts off the box springs. At least a couple of times a night I get up to push it back on to the box spring. When I lie on my back, my back hurts. When I lie on my side, my hips hurt. Thus I toss and turn all night (all the while shifting the mattress off the box spring). I did not have back or hip pain prior to getting this bed.

The orthopedic dog bed is beautiful & fits my dog great but all the fabric sheds everywhere. It seems it's not attached or glued. You can rub your hand over it and it pulls up & leaves a bare spot. This is only on the inside where the dog sleeps. The outside is ok. It is made of corduroy. Each time the dog gets out of the bed & walks on my carpet the stuff falls off of him & I have to vacuum. For over $50.00 this should not happen. Who says Serta is the best???

Great mattress for the first 6 months, then support degrade after that. I suffer from back pain so the i-Comfort Hybrid series in firm (Fundamental model) seemed like an ideal replacement for my 10-year-old inner spring Sealy mattress. Eventually you'll sink into a hole as the memory foam upper doesn't hold up. My wife and I now have a 'hill' down the middle of the mattress that limits your sleeping space to your own body cavity hole. I had 2 different inspectors come out from Serta and they both used their measuring tools to come to the conclusion that the bed is not defective and is within the warranty allowances. Yet I continue to sleep in my confined hole and am now considering taking this POS to the dump and eating a good amount of money.

The inspection process was such a waste of time. I spent $1,650 on this set and it's barely a year old. Don't fall for the 100-day satisfaction sleep guarantee because 100 days is not nearly enough time to give a true assessment. I'll never buy another Serta Mattress since they obviously don't care to stand behind their claims that i-Comfort Series is "revolutionary" and is worth the good money I paid for it. Don't fall for the Consumer Reports review that gave it a shining review. This experience has shown me that CR is no longer a good source for researching products before I purchase.

Expert Review

Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.Mattress Contributing Editor

Michael J. Breus, Ph.D., known as The Sleep Doctor, is a Clinical Psychologist and both a Diplomate of the American Board of Sleep Medicine and a Fellow of The American Academy of Sleep Medicine. He is on the clinical advisory board of The Dr. Oz Show and is a regular contributor on the show. He is also the author of several books, including The Sleep Doctor’s Diet Plan: Lose Weight Through Better Sleep (Rodale Books; 2011) and Good Night: The Sleep Doctor’s 4-Week Program to Better Sleep and Better Health (Dutton/Penguin; 2006). Dr. Breus has been featured on several national media outlets, including The Today Show, The CBS Early Show and Psychology Today.    More about Michael J.→

Serta has been making quality mattresses for over 80 years and has been recognized and awarded for its products. It is committed to being environmentally responsible in manufacturing and production. Serta and Simmons are now the same company.

• Variety: The Serta perfect sleeper is the lower cost line which is great for light use or occasional use. The better model is the iComfort Series (introduction of foam and gel).
  • Retail stores: Serta has a number of retail stores around the country where consumers can test out the mattresses before deciding which one to purchase.
  • Support: It has excellent customer support, both when purchasing mattresses online and in retail stores.
  • Financing: Customers can finance their purchases and can get 0 percent APR for up to 60 months in certain cases.
  • Best for Serta mattresses are best for eco-friendly, parents and professionals.

Compare Mattresses