2.88/5

Need a good mattress?

434 Serta Mattress Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

In February of this year I bought an Serta Imperial Sky II King size mattress from a local Badcock store. For the last few months the bed has begun to sag on both sides and has begun to cause my wife and back issues. In mid September, I went back to the store to explain the issues with the mattress. They told me to take some pictures of the mattress, which I did. I received an email saying that their team would come out and take measurements of the sagging and also to inspect that were no stains. The team showed up on a Monday, and at their first site of the mattress and the sagging there was a simultaneous, "WOW." But being employees of the store, they reported to Badcock only a .5" of sag. I received a call from the store the following week stating that the sagging is less than the 1 1/2" required by the warranty and there was nothing that they could do.

So I contacted Serta & here is their response. "Thank you for contacting Serta. We are glad that you took the time to contact us and appreciate the opportunity to respond. We are sorry that you feel this way. From what you have stated in your correspondence, Badcock's performed an inspection. They determined that your mattress was not defective under the guidelines of our warranty. The warranty brochure does state "Sagging or body impressions that measure 1 1/2 or greater, only if the mattress has been continuously supported by a matching foundation" is covered under the warranty. We have attached the Serta warranty to this email. Please familiarize yourself with the warranty to understand what may be considered a manufacturer's defect."

My response was that it was not comfortable and it was indeed hurting our backs. We are sleeping on our sofa, because the bed is not conducive to any rest at all. Yes the bed has been continuously properly supported, has a mattress topper and has been rotated more than quarterly. Below is their last response. "Thank you for contacting Serta. We are glad that you took the time to contact us and appreciate the opportunity to respond. We apologize for what you're experiencing and understand what you're saying but Serta products are warranted against manufacturing defects in the workmanship and materials."

"There is a difference between defect and comfort. From what you have stated in your correspondence, your mattress is causing your back to hurt. This is a comfort issue. Comfort is subjective and is not covered under the warranty. To help with those comfort issues, you may want to try rotating your mattress quarterly to promote even wear or adding a mattress topper. If you feel your mattress gets worse, please contact Badcock's Furniture to have your mattress re-inspected. Our valued retail partners are authorized to provide warranty service, and can do so promptly and efficiently."

They are clearly not interested in their customers' comfort or well being, and Serta unfortunately has become like many other companies, "THEY JUST DON'T CARE." After reading another review, I think it says it all, Serta has so many returns, that won't take anymore. Maybe there needs to be a Serta mattress recall. I will never ever buy anything from Serta or Badcock again.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

We ordered a mattress from Serta via QVC. The delivery service, based in Brockton, MA sent multiple texts and emails with a link to confirm the time for delivery on 9/22/18. We clicked the links to confirmed, and got responses confirming. The time came and went, called a number that the person I spoke to said was in Ohio. She told me the truck was running late, another 30 mins and they would arrive. So we waited. An hour and half later, called again. Yup, still running late, be there in an hour.

That came and went, called again, got some rude operator at that same number who told me there was no way the first two people could have contacted the delivery truck, and I was lying. She gave me the number of the Brockton, MA location and told me to call them. Called them Friday and Saturday, rings like no one is there and eventually goes to voicemail. Left a message that they had until 11:00 a.m. Saturday to contact me or I would cancel the order and have my credit card company refund the money. Still no response from anyone. Keep the mattress. Left work early on Friday because they promised a "2 hour delivery window".

Here's a few quick tips on professional behavior to the delivery company. Be on time. If you can't be on time, have the common courtesy to contact your customer and let them know you won't be. Don't make promises you know you can't keep. Get someone to answer your phone. If you're going to lie to get the customer off the phone, at least make them better lies. Do NOT order from this company if you live in Massachusetts unless you like being treated this way.

Get expert buying tips about Mattresses delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I purchased this bed from HSN. After about 6 months I noticed the bed breaking down. I had to start turning it every month! I'm so disappointed!! I called customer service and they sent me a diagram of what I have to do to measure the bed take the bed apart take a picture of the frame take a picture of the tags that were on the bed... and that once I file a claim I can't file another one so much for my 8 year guarantee!!! I’m 60 years old, it's hard to do all this by myself!!! They say if it's sagging by 1 1/2/ inches that they will replace it. It has memory foam!!! It always springs back up! Once I lay down I fall in a sink hole! Never again will I ever buy from that company!!!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Firm but plush and Comfortable. I've only had it for a few months. Very nice and I would recommend it. But it was a little pricey even for a king size bed.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

We just got a new Serta Mattress from RC Willey and it is the best mattress I've ever owned or slept on. We were thinking about getting a purple mattress, but he Serta Mattress we purchased was 1k less and more comfortable - just the right amount of soft and firmness. Plus they have the 100 day return policy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Serta Mattress?

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Serta breaking down after 6 months. Since buying this mattress through QVC I wake up every night with hip and low back pain. The mattress sagging on both sides. Now it creaks when you move. When I invested in this mattress I honestly believed it was worth the money as described on QVC. It is almost the worst mattress ever bought- This is second purchase in two years. Prior set was more comfortable but started sagging within 90 days.

I turn the mattress weekly and still sagging on both sides. I am a side sleeper right on the edge of the bed. This mattress was suppose to be made for edge sleepers like myself. They also said 5 star hotels use these beds. This is proven not be true. It would be nice to sleep more than 4 hours nightly and wake up without pain. Only good news is I see some beautiful sunrises. Do not buy Serta. It will be a bad investment for your pocketbook and well being. Thank goodness it is lightweight since I must rotate weekly. The lightweight of the mattress should have been my first clue it would not last. I will never buy major products from QVC or Serta Mattresses again.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Defective mattress. Pillow top bunched up the first time it was moved. Have called, gone into store, emailed. Got a phone # to a claims dept. They gave me an address to send photos to. Now they say they have never received the photos nor the claim. I have a tracking # that says they did. Dude on phone says, well, text me the photos. Are you kidding me?! After 4 months of NOT being able to sleep on my $3000 mattress?! Now it’s as easy as “send me the photos via text?”

And now? “We’ll get back to you!”

Will NEVER again purchase a Serta mattress. And plan to post on EVERY SINGLE WEBSITE AND FORUM!!! Disastrous customer service. DEPLORABLE WARRANTY PROTOCOL. Keep in mind, the people who can afford a $3000 have a LOT of choices where to put their money. And have a LOT of friends who do, as well. Not one of mine will ever purchase a product from you.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I ordered from Serta.com (online) a twin mattress for my 87 year old mother which was about $700, back in mid June 2018. They were very quick to process the payment and debited her account almost instantaneously same day. They promised it will arrive within 2 to 2.5 weeks max. After 3 weeks when there was no calls or signs of the delivery (an old primitive online tracking system) I decided to call and track which went back and forth for couple days and 6 phone calls to get a clear answer. (They have no idea what happened to the delivery and the order. No notes in the system they claimed.) It turns out they did not deliver the mattress to the delivery center (their partner in crime) to have it delivered after 4 weeks and they had no way of tracking where the mattress was. Then they blamed the delivery service, and the delivery service blamed Serta.

Finally Serta admitted they shipped incomplete order which was refused by the delivery service. I had to do all the work for them to track this information which took 1 week and about 12 phone calls. Then they said they will ship again and send the mattress to be delivered 3 week after that there was still no mattress and they did not deliver the mattress. I wrote several e-mails to their headquarters and 2 delivery managers (Michael ** and Nina **) as well as cc-ed their customer service. But nothing more than rude responses and lame excuses. Ironically they did show up at my mother's home to collect her old mattress 2 weeks after I placed the order without delivering the new mattress. Thank God she did not allow them to pick up, even though they claimed the new mattress will be there couple hours after that same day. 2 months has passed from that time and she still has not received her mattress or money.

After all this headache I canceled the order due to no response and insults on the phone by the managers and customer service telling me that I have to be patient while they figure out what is happening. All this time they are holding my mother's money, who is on very limited income at 87 in Serta's multimillion bank account. I had asked for their legal department to have my lawyer take up this issue but they both have not provided me their legal department's contact name or phone number.

I am absolutely frustrated with this company of all my adult years 40+ I have not experienced such a horrible customer service and especially management. I absolutely will not allow any member of my family and friends do business with Serta. I am still waiting for my mother to receive her refund so we can purchase a mattress from more reputable firm. The excuse they have last provided that they should receive the mattress that they delivered to their delivery service partner back before they can credit my mother who has nothing to do how Serta runs their dodgy business and I wonder to how many seniors they con and collect interest on their money before they return their funds if at all they do. Be aware of these two names if you ever deal with Serta which I absolutely recommend you to stay away. Michael **. Nina **.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I loved this mattress when I first bought it. Purchased at Weekend Overstock Warehouse in Lone tree Colorado. I shopped around and everyone had the exact same price. The "cool touch" feature was new at the time and the reason I bought the mattress to begin with. Sales guy threw in free pillows and a rebate for 2 more that I thought I sent in for and never got (I actually purchase two mattresses but the other was not Serta). I felt comfortable spending the money because the mattress has a 20 year warranty. Fast forward 8 years. Mattress SAGS so bad I now have back problems. The warranty info from Serta says if it sags more than 3" in the first 10 years, they replace it. So I'm thinking, awesome! I get a free replacement. And considering the cost was around $2k, I spent tons of time searching for my receipt.

With only one place left to search for the receipt (storage unit, ugh), I started researching my options. The store I purchased it from is out of business. So, after visiting the Serta site and seeing where the warranty code info is, I went to pull the info off the law tag and guess what? Those shady people at the furniture store REMOVED the tag. I certainly never removed it and you can see where it's been cut off. The other two tags that no one cares about are still attached of course. Why would ONLY the law tag have been removed? I've never removed a tag from a mattress in my life. Or the pillows I got (those are still attached because I took them home with me from the store and didn't have them delivered). I never even thought or bothered to check the mattress for the tag when they delivered it.

So, I have a worthless piece of crap mattress that has a great warranty that I can't use. I think the store removed the tag intentionally but I can't ask because the company no longer exists. Sorry if I seem a little cranky from crappy sleep for the last 8 months. Serta won't help you if you don't have the receipt and the tag and can't prove you are the person who bought it. Maybe they should just ask you for a DNA sampe and your first born when you register your mattress. And they tell you to call the place you bought it from.

I actually can't find anyone who has successfully used the Serta warranty. I think it's a complete scam. Oh, and by the way, they no longer offer 20 year warranties. Probably because they figured out their crap doesn't last 20 years. I will NEVER buy another SERTA again. Serta should learn from industry leaders like Herman Miller who offer a 12 year warranty on my office chair that replaced my Serta office chair. Hassle free. Serta is ALL HASSLE. You could spend less money on a mattress and it would last probably just as long. No wonder these internet mattress companies are taking over. So, I'm a consumer with back problems and a piece of crap mattress and no recourse as a consumer other than to vent in a review online. I'm attaching photos of where the tag was and how badly the mattress sags. It's not jut a little, its 4-5".

Original review: July 13, 2018

Did a lot of research before investing in a Serta. After getting it I was convinced it was not the same degree of firmness as the store. I had been looking for a uniformly firm mattress, but the one we got was soft. When we checked with Serta the code was the same, but the mattress definitely was not firm! We returned to the store and confirmed that the floor model was much firmer. Now a year or two later there are hollow spots under our bodies. We are not heavier than average but have created compression! No recourse for it. We do not recommend.

Original review: July 8, 2018

Let me first start by saying I am not one to spend my time writing reviews but I could not let this go. Do not buy this overpriced, poor quality mattress. After a few months the mattress loses all support. In the middle to the point where you sink into a hole. It loses all support on the edges to the point it's easy to roll out of the bed. My husband and I both wake up with sore backs, hips and necks. The worst part is we paid $1700.00 for this piece of crap. The warranty sounds good until you call them. I have called and emailed several times with no response!! I have read other reviews that say Serta will send someone to your house and if the mattress isn't 1 1/2" depressed, without anyone laying on it, they claim it doesn't fall under warranty. Terrible quality and terrible company. Never again and I hope others heed my warning. Had I read more reviews prior, I would never have purchased.

Original review: July 7, 2018

I have been having headaches and been very anxious since sleeping on this Serta icomfort 300 mattress. I’ve only had it for 4 days but the smell from mattress doesn’t seem to be improving any. Has anyone else had this experience from this mattress?

Original review: July 3, 2018

I recently spent $30 for 2 Serta Pillows, trusting the brand name. In two weeks they went flat, no better than pillows bought at Walmart for $3 each. I tried unsuccessfully to get resolution via Serta directly. A complete waste of time as the standard reply was the pillows are not made by Serta, they are made by one of our "trusted partners" and obvious the reply was from an non-English speaking agent. Serta does not stand behind their products. Buy at your own risk and don't expect any resolution.

Original review: June 8, 2018

The memory foam mattress is the best mattress ever. You could almost have someone jumping on the other half and never feel it. No springs to ever poke you. Conforms to your body. Long lasting, no need to flip or rotate like coil spring mattresses.

Original review: June 8, 2018

The Serta mattress has been great. We have had it for many years and it is still like new. Would not be interested in getting another one at this time.

Original review: June 7, 2018

We love our mattress that I bought online at Penney's a few years ago. It replace a mattress I had for nearly 25 years by Serta so I knew it would be a good mattress.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Very solid and fits to your body yet stays in shape. Doesn't sag over use and doesn't retain heat either. I have spine issues and this is by far the best mattress I've owned. Highly recommend it.

Original review: June 6, 2018

Is a pillowtop and still had to add two memory foam one inch mattresses to it and now this has made it way too hot. The mattress is now soft enough though.

Original review: June 6, 2018

We were happy when we first got it but a few months later it started feeling like it wasn't supporting us enough. Almost called to inquire about returning but then it started feeling good again and it didn't feel or look like we were sinking like we were. Very strange! Still feel we could have got something a little better for the price.

Original review: June 5, 2018

My mattress is very firm just the way I like it. It has not broken down and I have had it for 4 years now. Great quality for the price. I would not trade it in for another one.

Original review: June 5, 2018

1 yr old Serta bought at Boscov's in Meriden Conn. My mattress is sinking. The frame has broken. They fixed but their warranty for sinking is 1 and one half in. Mine is a little over 1 in. 1 yr warranty defected. They won't come back to check.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Serta Mattress helps my back so much. Fall asleep immediately. No more back pain. Stay asleep all night so super comfortable. Only problem dont want to get up in the morning.

Original review: June 3, 2018

This mattress broke down way too easy! Granted it has been used for over 10 years but the past 4 springs have been bent causing not only back pain but also falling out of bed at times!

Original review: June 3, 2018

When I first got my Serta mattress it was wonderful then about 6 months after I had trouble sleeping, where I slept the mattress became lumpy. I tried to pull and rub it down but I could not do it. After another month the mattress padding sunk leaving me in a sunken hole. I felt like I was going to fall out of bed. I will never buy another one.

Original review: June 2, 2018

We purchased this mattress mainly for the comfort. My husband has had several back surgeries and I have knee problems. We love the fact that it has a massage and with a touch of a remote, you can adjust both the head and feet. The one we picked was from the "Trump" series. It's the same model made for Trump's hotel. Shortly after our president was running for office, Serta pulled the product out of their stores which is sad. It's the best bed we've ever had.

Original review: June 2, 2018

I love the Serta Mattress support, but the pillow top on my mattress. I look forward to getting into to bed each night. I know that I will get a great night sleep on it. While it's not too soft, but a medium firm, but I enjoy reaching out and feeling of the pillow top squares on my mattress.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I’m not comfortable sleeping on this mattress. It is bulky and makes my back hurt. I paid a lot of money for it and I’m dissatisfied that it hasn’t even lasted 3 years.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Multiple disabilities ~ I have spinal stenosis and absolutely need a firm yet comfortable bed. When I went to the store I laid 3 minutes on each bed testing them. When I tried Serta, I didn't want to get up. I honest laid there for over 5-7 mins not caring who was watching. It was a little pricey for my budget so I planned to come back when able. Well, God worked a miracle, as I was leaving there was the exact model (once a floor display) on sale! I nabbed it! It had a few kick marks, frays and test run dirt but, l needed a bed ASAP. Waited a few months later and bought the box spring to match on sale. ;) So, help me. I oversleep anyway due to chronic pain but this is the bed I've loved most ever IN MY LIFE. My next purchase, I'm looking for this one again. ❤❤❤ Hope nothing changes in its design.

Original review: May 31, 2018

It didn't last long at all. Only about 4 years. I'm in the process of trying to find a new one. My parents just bought one of those beds in a box. They love it and now I'm trying to find the right one for me.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Memory foam i-Serta is great. No buttons to dig in. Great comfortable night's sleep. I no longer toss and turn. Very happy even after 18 months. I would buy this mattress again.

Serta Mattress expert review by Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.

Serta has been making quality mattresses for over 80 years and has been recognized and awarded for its products. It is committed to being environmentally responsible in manufacturing and production. Serta and Simmons are now the same company.

• Variety: The Serta perfect sleeper is the lower cost line which is great for light use or occasional use. The better model is the iComfort Series (introduction of foam and gel).

• Retail stores: Serta has a number of retail stores around the country where consumers can test out the mattresses before deciding which one to purchase.

• Support: It has excellent customer support, both when purchasing mattresses online and in retail stores.

• Financing: Customers can finance their purchases and can get 0 percent APR for up to 60 months in certain cases.

• Best for: Serta mattresses are best for eco-friendly, parents and professionals.

Profile picture of Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.
    Michael J. Breus, Ph.D. Mattress Contributing Editor

Michael J. Breus, Ph.D., known as The Sleep Doctor, is a Clinical Psychologist and both a Diplomate of the American Board of Sleep Medicine and a Fellow of The American Academy of Sleep Medicine. He is on the clinical advisory board of The Dr. Oz Show and is a regular contributor on the show. He is also the author of several books, including The Sleep Doctor’s Diet Plan: Lose Weight Through Better Sleep (Rodale Books; 2011) and Good Night: The Sleep Doctor’s 4-Week Program to Better Sleep and Better Health (Dutton/Penguin; 2006). Dr. Breus has been featured on several national media outlets, including The Today Show, The CBS Early Show and Psychology Today.

Serta Mattress Company Information