3.77/5

Need a good mattress?

461 Serta Mattress Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 16, 2019

After dealing with sciatica and shoulder pain, both which were aggravated by sleeping positions, I bought the ICOMFORT adjustable, vibrating bed. I LOVE IT! When I sleep on my right side, which is my normal position, my right shoulder would keep me awake, until I adjusted the bed to zero gravity, and that allowed me to stay on my back and sleep comfortably. A small pillow made to slip between my legs keeps my back aligned, which helps sciatic nerve pain.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I bought my mattress at a local store. Was able to place each of the 5 firmness mattresses on the base to determine the most comfortable for me. The bed is three years old and feels like new. Sleeps very well. Feels supportive and at the same time soft. Only complaint would be that it does feel a little warmer than traditional mattresses. But I would buy it again.

Get expert buying tips about Mattresses delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 6, 2018

We were happy when we first got it but a few months later it started feeling like it wasn't supporting us enough. Almost called to inquire about returning but then it started feeling good again and it didn't feel or look like we were sinking like we were. Very strange! Still feel we could have got something a little better for the price.

Original review: June 2, 2018

We purchased this mattress mainly for the comfort. My husband has had several back surgeries and I have knee problems. We love the fact that it has a massage and with a touch of a remote, you can adjust both the head and feet. The one we picked was from the "Trump" series. It's the same model made for Trump's hotel. Shortly after our president was running for office, Serta pulled the product out of their stores which is sad. It's the best bed we've ever had.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Multiple disabilities ~ I have spinal stenosis and absolutely need a firm yet comfortable bed. When I went to the store I laid 3 minutes on each bed testing them. When I tried Serta, I didn't want to get up. I honest laid there for over 5-7 mins not caring who was watching. It was a little pricey for my budget so I planned to come back when able. Well, God worked a miracle, as I was leaving there was the exact model (once a floor display) on sale! I nabbed it! It had a few kick marks, frays and test run dirt but, l needed a bed ASAP. Waited a few months later and bought the box spring to match on sale. ;) So, help me. I oversleep anyway due to chronic pain but this is the bed I've loved most ever IN MY LIFE. My next purchase, I'm looking for this one again. ❤❤❤ Hope nothing changes in its design.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Serta Mattress?

Original review: April 17, 2019

I bought a mattress 2 years ago and now it sags over 1.5 inches. I contacted Serta and I then had to pay their inspector. Not a good program. I would stay away from them unless you only need a couple years out of the mattress.

Original review: April 13, 2019

The perfect sleeper is a great product by Serta and priced at an affordable level. I have had terrible soreness in the morning for many years because of poor quality mattresses. The Serta perfect sleeper now lets me wake up feeling well rested and ready for the day, and I’m completely pain free in the morning.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I have had this mattress approximately 6 months. I wake up with lower back pain and it is already lumpy. You can actually see the lumps, it’s awful....especially since the cost was over $1,000.00 and I’m still paying for it!

Original review: April 10, 2019

Turned mattress every 2 months and developed indent where butt goes. Have to sleep semi elevated and find it very uncomfortable with lots of pillows. Couldn't afford to buy a new mattress right now so made due but I'm up 2-3-times at night for the bathroom and find it hard to settle again. Not sure what would be best option for me.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I needed a new mattress and box springs about eight years ago. After rejecting foam mattresses (too hot) and adjustable beds (too expensive), I decided a mid-range traditional mattress was the way to go. So far, no complaints and I sleep comfortably.

Original review: April 1, 2019

The mattress is way too soft. I must admit to letting the dogs sleep in bed with me and they have a habit of pushing me to the side! I always end up sleeping on the edge of the bed which is way too soft. I believe I messed up when I bought this mattress and I should have searched for a firmer mattress. And probably not a hybrid.

Original review: March 21, 2019

We purchased our iComfort mattress in May 2012. In 2013 the mattress started sagging. We called the retail store and we received a replacement mattress. In 2015, the replacement mattress started sagging. I called the retail store and they sent a technician to examine the mattress. The technician report stated the mattress was in perfect condition. These technician do not lay on the mattress to see the peaks and valleys, instead they bring a long piece of wood and lay it across the mattress to see if there any space between wood and mattress.

For the last 3 years I have had a technician come out to examine our mattress and they keep reporting back to Serta that the mattress is in good condition without paying on the mattress. When people go to buy a mattress, they lay on that mattress to see the condition of the mattress and if it is right for them. Why doesn’t the technicians lay on the mattress to inspection it? NEVER BUY SERTA, I don’t see why people keep buying Serta mattresses. It’s seems like the Serta iComfort mattress are defective and Serta will not work with their customers with these defective mattresses.

Original review: March 13, 2019

On 7/27/13 I purchased a Prodigy King Mattress Set. After delivery the mattress never felt right. It was too firm. Called the store and was told to walk and crawl on it to soften the gel foam. This did no good. I slept on it rarely. On 4/15/14 I purchased the Adjustable Base after once again speaking with the store manager who suggested this to alleviate back pain. This also did not help except their pocket. On 3/9/19 while in a bedding store I inquired and the manager told me to check the label on the mattress to make certain I had received the correct bed. I did and it turns out instead of the Prodigy, a Savant was delivered.

I have now spoken twice with Serta reps. and am told it is not their fault and nothing can be done. So, one of their Distributors, (now out of business,) delivers a wrong mattress set and I'm out $5,400. In addition, I have tried all manner of mattress toppers and body pillows to make this mattress work, to no avail as it is simply too firm for my damaged back. Bottom line...Serta takes zero responsibility.

Original review: March 11, 2019

We purchased the iComfort mattress from a large furniture store. After several years the comfort foam started to sink in on both sides. We contacted the furniture store and they gave us the warranty claim procedure. The procedure included taking a picture of the Law Tag. They are usually sewn onto the seam. However, this mattress didn't have one sewn into the seam, never did, and had no tag remnants like it had been cut or torn off. It never was sewn on.

After doing some research, some of them apparently had a "stick on" label for the Law Tag. Who knows how long ago that label fell off or if it even made it to our house when we purchased it and it was delivered and set up by the store. Nice way to avoid any warranty claim. If you purchase a Serta mattress, better find the tag and keep it under lock and key. Without it, the warranty could be 10 minutes and they wouldn't stand behind it. We've been looking for a replacement and I can assure everyone that it will NOT be a Serta product.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Their customer service is awful. They are friendly but they know nothing. I had problems with my order from day one and kept getting referred to a manager who only works from 4 pm to 8 pm. The departments don't communicate and they kept giving me incorrect information. I waited 3 weeks for my last item only for them to refund me because they couldn't get their stuff together. The company is obviously highly disorganized.

Original review: March 7, 2019

We purchased a Serta Icomfort September, 2016. In May, 2017 the mattress was sagging in the center & Serta sent a replacement. February of 2019 the mattress was sagging again to the point our backs were hurting. After an hour or two in the bed you’re sleeping in a hole & in order to turn over you have to grab the side of the bed to pull yourself out of the hole. We contacted the furniture store where we purchased the mattress & the came & took pics & measured. Serta refused to do anything. We’ve purchased our last Serta product!!!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

Serta deletes negative reviews from Facebook and they block you from adding additional comments. I gave them a bad review because of a defective mattress that they wanted me to cover and “inspection” and another delivery fee. Please look into purchasing a brand with better products and better customer service.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

This was a terrible mattress. The foam top started to collapse within 5 years and by year 6, one side of the mattress was slumping terribly. Also, the edge support was terrible by this time too. This is not a cheap mattress and was not worth the money.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

We bought this set Aug 2018 from QVC. It was fine at first but after a few months our backs were hurting. When we got up one morning I pulled back sheets and cover and the pillow top was all sunk in and lumpy. I've contacted QVC and Serta since it has 10 year warranty, which is a joke. To have someone come and look at mattress I had to send check for $40. If they say it's defective, I have to pay $149 delivery for new one. Well I sent check but haven't been contacted yet. When we put mattress on its side everything in pillow top falls forward. We are hurting so bad that we had to purchase gel infused foam topper to put on opposite side of mattress because pillow top side is trash!!! Their customer service is rude! QVC customer service is nice but said it's out of their hands.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Purchased Grand Sky queen mattress from Gardner White in MI, have owned for a few years. After about a year, a distinct lump formed in the pillow-top, right under my L shoulder blade. I rotated the mattress so that the lump was at the foot of the bed on the opposite side. Then the mattress developed a significant sag on the side where I sleep, but I can't rotate it again because then the original lump will be back under my shoulder/upper back. Aside from all this, the mattress was never what I would call comfortable, but because I didn't purchase the right to return it (which in itself is a ridiculous policy--you have to pay a $50 fee to try it out for 60 days?), I couldn't take it back to the store.

Am getting ready to contact the store and Serta about the warranty, but after reading reviews I have to wonder if going through that process is worth it. Suffice it to say, I (a lifelong Serta customer) will never purchase another mattress from them again. On this subject... I hope that legislation is coming soon that will preclude mattress stores from re-labeling mattresses with their own style names and different fabric patterns. What happens is, several retailers will order the exact same mattress from Serta (or any other manufacturer), but because they order it with different fabric covers and then name it with an "exclusive" style name, it is impossible to do a comparison shop for the exact same mattress. This should be regulated... It is a means by which retailers can take advantage of the consumer without actually breaking any laws.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

In short, 6 months mattress sags. Go through warranty department, they want pictures of a broomstick across the bed to measure depression. Thing is, 6 months there is no depression with no weight. I send pictures with 20 pound weight on both sides and you can CLEARLY see one weight is severely depressed in comparison to the other. CLEARLY depressed. Now my back, my girlfriend's back is sore every morning because of SERTA and their zero ability to stand behind their product follow through. BTW, I provided them 2 sets of pictures. Pictures per their warranty request and pictures with the weights showing depression. They denied me because I put weights on the bed. See my YouTube Video.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

If you order a Serta Mattress because of the White Glove Delivery included, be warned that the delivery company may well NOT take your old mattress! We ordered a Serta in large part due to the fact that the white glove delivery indicated that they would remove the old mattress, so we wouldn't have to deal with the hassle. Nowhere were any conditions listed about them refusing to remove an old mattress. Only once the delivery company got to our home, did they say they would refuse to take the old mattress because it had stains. Mind you, the mattress was old! Who hasn't spilled something, had an accident, gotten sick in bed etc. on a mattress that they have had for 10 years? Well, unless you are one of those people, don't expect them to take your mattress away!

I did look further into this and after quite an exhaustive search, I did find a small note that the delivery agent could refuse to take a mattress that is a "bio-hazard". I could understand refusing a bed covered with blood, bed bugs, rodents, etc. but a stain is none of those things. And no one asked what the stains were from. They just said they could not take a mattress with any stains.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Very comfortable and supportive. I bought the soft version but it does have good support. I bought it at Menards at a great price. However they charge too much for delivery so I rented one of their pick ups and took it home myself for about $20.00.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Mattress is great and very comfortable. I am really happy with my choice and I have been enjoying my sleep. But the sales staff where I got it were really inexperienced and delivered the wrong mattress. I would go to another store if I decide to get another one.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

It’s 12 years old and they no longer make this model. The new ones have the foam pillow top which just cannot compare. Anytime I allow a guest to sleep in my bed they wake up the next day saying it was the best night of sleep they’ve had.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I have had brand loyalty to Serta all my life, I am 50. When I needed an office chair I was happy to see Serta made/sold office chairs. Unfortunately, Serta is not the manufacturer of the office chairs. When their $400 chair with the 10-year warranty fell apart after a year, I found out the hard way that they (Serta) apparently contract out the work to the lowest bidder, in this case a company called True Innovations.

After about a year of use the gas strut has failed. The chair creaks and makes loud cracking noises during normal use. The seat wobbles side to side from play in the hinge on the seat plate and play where the rolling base meets the bottom of the gas strut. The recliner lock feature somehow locks the chair from reclining even though the lever is in the unlock position and I never use that feature. Let me specify, I am 265 lbs, well below the maximum weight rating of the chair.

When I tried to initiate a warranty claim on Serta's website, the system would only allow a claim for a mattress. Furthermore, office chairs are not listed or even referenced anywhere on the Serta website. This was starting to get really sketchy, so I called Serta for warranty service but they would not help me whatsoever. Serta, the chair manufacturer, would not respond to a customer's warranty claim. Unfathomable right? They insisted I needed to talk to True Innovations, even though I explained to them several times that I needed to deal with Serta. I bought a Serta chair because I trusted the Serta name and knew that if there was an issue I'd be protected by the good reputation of Serta.

The problem is, this MSRP $400 chair is designed for occasional use, but it has an 8-hour comfort rating. The seat is actually comfortable, but the structure of the chair is not designed to withstand normal everyday use. It's a chair made by some unknown company who makes shoddy products and hangs the Serta name tag on the back. Flip it over and it says True Innovations. Disgusting.

Summary: SERTA SELLS COUNTERFEIT PRODUCTS. When your office chair breaks they will send you to a company you've never heard of for service. You will then receive replacement parts that are every bit as inferior as the parts they are replacing. So instead of the 10 year warranty meaning that the product should be expected to last 10 years before it has a breakdown... What it really means is, this shady knock-off company will keep sending you junk replacement parts for 10 years or until the consumer gets tired of perpetuating junk and throws the chair into a dumpster.

Slick move Serta. This will be the last Serta product I ever buy. I will explain to my children why to never buy Serta products. I will dissuade anyone who I encounter who mentions buying a mattress or office chair from purchasing a Serta labeled product. I cannot stress enough the fact that Serta is perfectly fine with some knock-off company making their chairs and using the Serta name. This is a situation where the corporate giant (Serta) has abused the system to RIP-OFF THEIR CUSTOMERS!!!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I bought my California king mattress from QVC. At first it seems fine, but within months both my husband and I noticed big craters where we slept at night. The bed is so uncomfortable I don’t know what to do. QVC cannot help. Serta refuses to even acknowledge any type of contact. This bed only has one topper, so you can’t flip the mattress. It’s so miserably uncomfortable, and I have had three back surgeries. I hate this bed and wish I never bought it. How can a major mattress company care so little about their customers?

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I purchased this Queen mattress from QVC. The first one broke down and sagging after 2 months. They did replace it with another mattress. I have suffered with this mattress for 1 1/2 years. It is sagging 2” both side. There feel like a board running down the center in the mattress and dips on both sides. I have turned it monthly. My back and hips have gotten so bad I can’t sleep. I have been trying to get someone but they are always closed!! BUYER BEWARE.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

We spent a fortune on iComfort because it was comfortable and we were made all kinds of promises about its guarantee. Within a year it had a large hump in the middle of the bed and was sunk in on various spots. The top part of the mattress was not even lined up with the rest of the mattress anymore. I contacted them about the guarantee and sent in the requested pictures. Because my kids spilled juice on the bed and left a stain, the guarantee was void. That is the biggest crock of crap I have ever heard! We guarantee it if you don't use it?! Worst mattress I have ever bought.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

My issue has been going on for well over 6 weeks in total. There have been many emails sent (mainly from me to them as they do not respond). I posed a bad review on their Facebook 2 weeks ago and got a reply... but then that was about it. Still nothing has been resolved. I have a dip in the middle of my year old mattress that exceeds about 2cm causing much back, neck and head pain. My back has gotten so bad I’m now having to go to physio AND I’ve actually had to have time off work as I’m struggling to move and I’m in so much pain. SERTA - YOU HAVE A HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SYSTEM! Anyone reading this... do your research before committing to a mattress as I made the mistake of not doing so and have ended up with a dud mattress and even worse company to deal with. DISAPPOINTED AND DISGUSTED!

Serta Mattress expert review by Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.

Serta has been making quality mattresses for over 80 years and has been recognized and awarded for its products. It is committed to being environmentally responsible in manufacturing and production. Serta and Simmons are now the same company.

• Variety: The Serta perfect sleeper is the lower cost line which is great for light use or occasional use. The better model is the iComfort Series (introduction of foam and gel).

• Retail stores: Serta has a number of retail stores around the country where consumers can test out the mattresses before deciding which one to purchase.

• Support: It has excellent customer support, both when purchasing mattresses online and in retail stores.

• Financing: Customers can finance their purchases and can get 0 percent APR for up to 60 months in certain cases.

• Best for: Serta mattresses are best for eco-friendly, parents and professionals.

Profile picture of Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.
    Michael J. Breus, Ph.D. Mattress Contributing Editor

Michael J. Breus, Ph.D., known as The Sleep Doctor, is a Clinical Psychologist and both a Diplomate of the American Board of Sleep Medicine and a Fellow of The American Academy of Sleep Medicine. He is on the clinical advisory board of The Dr. Oz Show and is a regular contributor on the show. He is also the author of several books, including The Sleep Doctor’s Diet Plan: Lose Weight Through Better Sleep (Rodale Books; 2011) and Good Night: The Sleep Doctor’s 4-Week Program to Better Sleep and Better Health (Dutton/Penguin; 2006). Dr. Breus has been featured on several national media outlets, including The Today Show, The CBS Early Show and Psychology Today.

Serta Mattress Company Information