2.84/5

Need a good mattress?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

447 Serta Mattress Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

We bought this set Aug 2018 from QVC. It was fine at first but after a few months our backs were hurting. When we got up one morning I pulled back sheets and cover and the pillow top was all sunk in and lumpy. I've contacted QVC and Serta since it has 10 year warranty, which is a joke. To have someone come and look at mattress I had to send check for $40. If they say it's defective, I have to pay $149 delivery for new one. Well I sent check but haven't been contacted yet. When we put mattress on its side everything in pillow top falls forward. We are hurting so bad that we had to purchase gel infused foam topper to put on opposite side of mattress because pillow top side is trash!!! Their customer service is rude! QVC customer service is nice but said it's out of their hands.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Purchased Grand Sky queen mattress from Gardner White in MI, have owned for a few years. After about a year, a distinct lump formed in the pillow-top, right under my L shoulder blade. I rotated the mattress so that the lump was at the foot of the bed on the opposite side. Then the mattress developed a significant sag on the side where I sleep, but I can't rotate it again because then the original lump will be back under my shoulder/upper back. Aside from all this, the mattress was never what I would call comfortable, but because I didn't purchase the right to return it (which in itself is a ridiculous policy--you have to pay a $50 fee to try it out for 60 days?), I couldn't take it back to the store.

Am getting ready to contact the store and Serta about the warranty, but after reading reviews I have to wonder if going through that process is worth it. Suffice it to say, I (a lifelong Serta customer) will never purchase another mattress from them again. On this subject... I hope that legislation is coming soon that will preclude mattress stores from re-labeling mattresses with their own style names and different fabric patterns. What happens is, several retailers will order the exact same mattress from Serta (or any other manufacturer), but because they order it with different fabric covers and then name it with an "exclusive" style name, it is impossible to do a comparison shop for the exact same mattress. This should be regulated... It is a means by which retailers can take advantage of the consumer without actually breaking any laws.

Get expert buying tips about Mattresses delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

In short, 6 months mattress sags. Go through warranty department, they want pictures of a broomstick across the bed to measure depression. Thing is, 6 months there is no depression with no weight. I send pictures with 20 pound weight on both sides and you can CLEARLY see one weight is severely depressed in comparison to the other. CLEARLY depressed. Now my back, my girlfriend's back is sore every morning because of SERTA and their zero ability to stand behind their product follow through. BTW, I provided them 2 sets of pictures. Pictures per their warranty request and pictures with the weights showing depression. They denied me because I put weights on the bed. See my YouTube Video.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

If you order a Serta Mattress because of the White Glove Delivery included, be warned that the delivery company may well NOT take your old mattress! We ordered a Serta in large part due to the fact that the white glove delivery indicated that they would remove the old mattress, so we wouldn't have to deal with the hassle. Nowhere were any conditions listed about them refusing to remove an old mattress. Only once the delivery company got to our home, did they say they would refuse to take the old mattress because it had stains. Mind you, the mattress was old! Who hasn't spilled something, had an accident, gotten sick in bed etc. on a mattress that they have had for 10 years? Well, unless you are one of those people, don't expect them to take your mattress away!

I did look further into this and after quite an exhaustive search, I did find a small note that the delivery agent could refuse to take a mattress that is a "bio-hazard". I could understand refusing a bed covered with blood, bed bugs, rodents, etc. but a stain is none of those things. And no one asked what the stains were from. They just said they could not take a mattress with any stains.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Very comfortable and supportive. I bought the soft version but it does have good support. I bought it at Menards at a great price. However they charge too much for delivery so I rented one of their pick ups and took it home myself for about $20.00.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Serta Mattress?

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Mattress is great and very comfortable. I am really happy with my choice and I have been enjoying my sleep. But the sales staff where I got it were really inexperienced and delivered the wrong mattress. I would go to another store if I decide to get another one.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

It’s 12 years old and they no longer make this model. The new ones have the foam pillow top which just cannot compare. Anytime I allow a guest to sleep in my bed they wake up the next day saying it was the best night of sleep they’ve had.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I bought my mattress at a local store. Was able to place each of the 5 firmness mattresses on the base to determine the most comfortable for me. The bed is three years old and feels like new. Sleeps very well. Feels supportive and at the same time soft. Only complaint would be that it does feel a little warmer than traditional mattresses. But I would buy it again.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I have had brand loyalty to Serta all my life, I am 50. When I needed an office chair I was happy to see Serta made/sold office chairs. Unfortunately, Serta is not the manufacturer of the office chairs. When their $400 chair with the 10-year warranty fell apart after a year, I found out the hard way that they (Serta) apparently contract out the work to the lowest bidder, in this case a company called True Innovations.

After about a year of use the gas strut has failed. The chair creaks and makes loud cracking noises during normal use. The seat wobbles side to side from play in the hinge on the seat plate and play where the rolling base meets the bottom of the gas strut. The recliner lock feature somehow locks the chair from reclining even though the lever is in the unlock position and I never use that feature. Let me specify, I am 265 lbs, well below the maximum weight rating of the chair.

When I tried to initiate a warranty claim on Serta's website, the system would only allow a claim for a mattress. Furthermore, office chairs are not listed or even referenced anywhere on the Serta website. This was starting to get really sketchy, so I called Serta for warranty service but they would not help me whatsoever. Serta, the chair manufacturer, would not respond to a customer's warranty claim. Unfathomable right? They insisted I needed to talk to True Innovations, even though I explained to them several times that I needed to deal with Serta. I bought a Serta chair because I trusted the Serta name and knew that if there was an issue I'd be protected by the good reputation of Serta.

The problem is, this MSRP $400 chair is designed for occasional use, but it has an 8-hour comfort rating. The seat is actually comfortable, but the structure of the chair is not designed to withstand normal everyday use. It's a chair made by some unknown company who makes shoddy products and hangs the Serta name tag on the back. Flip it over and it says True Innovations. Disgusting.

Summary: SERTA SELLS COUNTERFEIT PRODUCTS. When your office chair breaks they will send you to a company you've never heard of for service. You will then receive replacement parts that are every bit as inferior as the parts they are replacing. So instead of the 10 year warranty meaning that the product should be expected to last 10 years before it has a breakdown... What it really means is, this shady knock-off company will keep sending you junk replacement parts for 10 years or until the consumer gets tired of perpetuating junk and throws the chair into a dumpster.

Slick move Serta. This will be the last Serta product I ever buy. I will explain to my children why to never buy Serta products. I will dissuade anyone who I encounter who mentions buying a mattress or office chair from purchasing a Serta labeled product. I cannot stress enough the fact that Serta is perfectly fine with some knock-off company making their chairs and using the Serta name. This is a situation where the corporate giant (Serta) has abused the system to RIP-OFF THEIR CUSTOMERS!!!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I bought my California king mattress from QVC. At first it seems fine, but within months both my husband and I noticed big craters where we slept at night. The bed is so uncomfortable I don’t know what to do. QVC cannot help. Serta refuses to even acknowledge any type of contact. This bed only has one topper, so you can’t flip the mattress. It’s so miserably uncomfortable, and I have had three back surgeries. I hate this bed and wish I never bought it. How can a major mattress company care so little about their customers?

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I purchased this Queen mattress from QVC. The first one broke down and sagging after 2 months. They did replace it with another mattress. I have suffered with this mattress for 1 1/2 years. It is sagging 2” both side. There feel like a board running down the center in the mattress and dips on both sides. I have turned it monthly. My back and hips have gotten so bad I can’t sleep. I have been trying to get someone but they are always closed!! BUYER BEWARE.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

We spent a fortune on iComfort because it was comfortable and we were made all kinds of promises about its guarantee. Within a year it had a large hump in the middle of the bed and was sunk in on various spots. The top part of the mattress was not even lined up with the rest of the mattress anymore. I contacted them about the guarantee and sent in the requested pictures. Because my kids spilled juice on the bed and left a stain, the guarantee was void. That is the biggest crock of crap I have ever heard! We guarantee it if you don't use it?! Worst mattress I have ever bought.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

My issue has been going on for well over 6 weeks in total. There have been many emails sent (mainly from me to them as they do not respond). I posed a bad review on their Facebook 2 weeks ago and got a reply... but then that was about it. Still nothing has been resolved. I have a dip in the middle of my year old mattress that exceeds about 2cm causing much back, neck and head pain. My back has gotten so bad I’m now having to go to physio AND I’ve actually had to have time off work as I’m struggling to move and I’m in so much pain. SERTA - YOU HAVE A HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SYSTEM! Anyone reading this... do your research before committing to a mattress as I made the mistake of not doing so and have ended up with a dud mattress and even worse company to deal with. DISAPPOINTED AND DISGUSTED!

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

In February of this year I bought an Serta Imperial Sky II King size mattress from a local Badcock store. For the last few months the bed has begun to sag on both sides and has begun to cause my wife and back issues. In mid September, I went back to the store to explain the issues with the mattress. They told me to take some pictures of the mattress, which I did. I received an email saying that their team would come out and take measurements of the sagging and also to inspect that were no stains. The team showed up on a Monday, and at their first site of the mattress and the sagging there was a simultaneous, "WOW." But being employees of the store, they reported to Badcock only a .5" of sag. I received a call from the store the following week stating that the sagging is less than the 1 1/2" required by the warranty and there was nothing that they could do.

So I contacted Serta & here is their response. "Thank you for contacting Serta. We are glad that you took the time to contact us and appreciate the opportunity to respond. We are sorry that you feel this way. From what you have stated in your correspondence, Badcock's performed an inspection. They determined that your mattress was not defective under the guidelines of our warranty. The warranty brochure does state "Sagging or body impressions that measure 1 1/2 or greater, only if the mattress has been continuously supported by a matching foundation" is covered under the warranty. We have attached the Serta warranty to this email. Please familiarize yourself with the warranty to understand what may be considered a manufacturer's defect."

My response was that it was not comfortable and it was indeed hurting our backs. We are sleeping on our sofa, because the bed is not conducive to any rest at all. Yes the bed has been continuously properly supported, has a mattress topper and has been rotated more than quarterly. Below is their last response. "Thank you for contacting Serta. We are glad that you took the time to contact us and appreciate the opportunity to respond. We apologize for what you're experiencing and understand what you're saying but Serta products are warranted against manufacturing defects in the workmanship and materials."

"There is a difference between defect and comfort. From what you have stated in your correspondence, your mattress is causing your back to hurt. This is a comfort issue. Comfort is subjective and is not covered under the warranty. To help with those comfort issues, you may want to try rotating your mattress quarterly to promote even wear or adding a mattress topper. If you feel your mattress gets worse, please contact Badcock's Furniture to have your mattress re-inspected. Our valued retail partners are authorized to provide warranty service, and can do so promptly and efficiently."

They are clearly not interested in their customers' comfort or well being, and Serta unfortunately has become like many other companies, "THEY JUST DON'T CARE." After reading another review, I think it says it all, Serta has so many returns, that won't take anymore. Maybe there needs to be a Serta mattress recall. I will never ever buy anything from Serta or Badcock again.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

We ordered a mattress from Serta via QVC. The delivery service, based in Brockton, MA sent multiple texts and emails with a link to confirm the time for delivery on 9/22/18. We clicked the links to confirmed, and got responses confirming. The time came and went, called a number that the person I spoke to said was in Ohio. She told me the truck was running late, another 30 mins and they would arrive. So we waited. An hour and half later, called again. Yup, still running late, be there in an hour.

That came and went, called again, got some rude operator at that same number who told me there was no way the first two people could have contacted the delivery truck, and I was lying. She gave me the number of the Brockton, MA location and told me to call them. Called them Friday and Saturday, rings like no one is there and eventually goes to voicemail. Left a message that they had until 11:00 a.m. Saturday to contact me or I would cancel the order and have my credit card company refund the money. Still no response from anyone. Keep the mattress. Left work early on Friday because they promised a "2 hour delivery window".

Here's a few quick tips on professional behavior to the delivery company. Be on time. If you can't be on time, have the common courtesy to contact your customer and let them know you won't be. Don't make promises you know you can't keep. Get someone to answer your phone. If you're going to lie to get the customer off the phone, at least make them better lies. Do NOT order from this company if you live in Massachusetts unless you like being treated this way.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I purchased this bed from HSN. After about 6 months I noticed the bed breaking down. I had to start turning it every month! I'm so disappointed!! I called customer service and they sent me a diagram of what I have to do to measure the bed take the bed apart take a picture of the frame take a picture of the tags that were on the bed... and that once I file a claim I can't file another one so much for my 8 year guarantee!!! I’m 60 years old, it's hard to do all this by myself!!! They say if it's sagging by 1 1/2/ inches that they will replace it. It has memory foam!!! It always springs back up! Once I lay down I fall in a sink hole! Never again will I ever buy from that company!!!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Firm but plush and Comfortable. I've only had it for a few months. Very nice and I would recommend it. But it was a little pricey even for a king size bed.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

We just got a new Serta Mattress from RC Willey and it is the best mattress I've ever owned or slept on. We were thinking about getting a purple mattress, but he Serta Mattress we purchased was 1k less and more comfortable - just the right amount of soft and firmness. Plus they have the 100 day return policy.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Serta breaking down after 6 months. Since buying this mattress through QVC I wake up every night with hip and low back pain. The mattress sagging on both sides. Now it creaks when you move. When I invested in this mattress I honestly believed it was worth the money as described on QVC. It is almost the worst mattress ever bought- This is second purchase in two years. Prior set was more comfortable but started sagging within 90 days.

I turn the mattress weekly and still sagging on both sides. I am a side sleeper right on the edge of the bed. This mattress was suppose to be made for edge sleepers like myself. They also said 5 star hotels use these beds. This is proven not be true. It would be nice to sleep more than 4 hours nightly and wake up without pain. Only good news is I see some beautiful sunrises. Do not buy Serta. It will be a bad investment for your pocketbook and well being. Thank goodness it is lightweight since I must rotate weekly. The lightweight of the mattress should have been my first clue it would not last. I will never buy major products from QVC or Serta Mattresses again.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Defective mattress. Pillow top bunched up the first time it was moved. Have called, gone into store, emailed. Got a phone # to a claims dept. They gave me an address to send photos to. Now they say they have never received the photos nor the claim. I have a tracking # that says they did. Dude on phone says, well, text me the photos. Are you kidding me?! After 4 months of NOT being able to sleep on my $3000 mattress?! Now it’s as easy as “send me the photos via text?”

And now? “We’ll get back to you!”

Will NEVER again purchase a Serta mattress. And plan to post on EVERY SINGLE WEBSITE AND FORUM!!! Disastrous customer service. DEPLORABLE WARRANTY PROTOCOL. Keep in mind, the people who can afford a $3000 have a LOT of choices where to put their money. And have a LOT of friends who do, as well. Not one of mine will ever purchase a product from you.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I ordered from Serta.com (online) a twin mattress for my 87 year old mother which was about $700, back in mid June 2018. They were very quick to process the payment and debited her account almost instantaneously same day. They promised it will arrive within 2 to 2.5 weeks max. After 3 weeks when there was no calls or signs of the delivery (an old primitive online tracking system) I decided to call and track which went back and forth for couple days and 6 phone calls to get a clear answer. (They have no idea what happened to the delivery and the order. No notes in the system they claimed.) It turns out they did not deliver the mattress to the delivery center (their partner in crime) to have it delivered after 4 weeks and they had no way of tracking where the mattress was. Then they blamed the delivery service, and the delivery service blamed Serta.

Finally Serta admitted they shipped incomplete order which was refused by the delivery service. I had to do all the work for them to track this information which took 1 week and about 12 phone calls. Then they said they will ship again and send the mattress to be delivered 3 week after that there was still no mattress and they did not deliver the mattress. I wrote several e-mails to their headquarters and 2 delivery managers (Michael ** and Nina **) as well as cc-ed their customer service. But nothing more than rude responses and lame excuses. Ironically they did show up at my mother's home to collect her old mattress 2 weeks after I placed the order without delivering the new mattress. Thank God she did not allow them to pick up, even though they claimed the new mattress will be there couple hours after that same day. 2 months has passed from that time and she still has not received her mattress or money.

After all this headache I canceled the order due to no response and insults on the phone by the managers and customer service telling me that I have to be patient while they figure out what is happening. All this time they are holding my mother's money, who is on very limited income at 87 in Serta's multimillion bank account. I had asked for their legal department to have my lawyer take up this issue but they both have not provided me their legal department's contact name or phone number.

I am absolutely frustrated with this company of all my adult years 40+ I have not experienced such a horrible customer service and especially management. I absolutely will not allow any member of my family and friends do business with Serta. I am still waiting for my mother to receive her refund so we can purchase a mattress from more reputable firm. The excuse they have last provided that they should receive the mattress that they delivered to their delivery service partner back before they can credit my mother who has nothing to do how Serta runs their dodgy business and I wonder to how many seniors they con and collect interest on their money before they return their funds if at all they do. Be aware of these two names if you ever deal with Serta which I absolutely recommend you to stay away. Michael **. Nina **.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I loved this mattress when I first bought it. Purchased at Weekend Overstock Warehouse in Lone tree Colorado. I shopped around and everyone had the exact same price. The "cool touch" feature was new at the time and the reason I bought the mattress to begin with. Sales guy threw in free pillows and a rebate for 2 more that I thought I sent in for and never got (I actually purchase two mattresses but the other was not Serta). I felt comfortable spending the money because the mattress has a 20 year warranty. Fast forward 8 years. Mattress SAGS so bad I now have back problems. The warranty info from Serta says if it sags more than 3" in the first 10 years, they replace it. So I'm thinking, awesome! I get a free replacement. And considering the cost was around $2k, I spent tons of time searching for my receipt.

With only one place left to search for the receipt (storage unit, ugh), I started researching my options. The store I purchased it from is out of business. So, after visiting the Serta site and seeing where the warranty code info is, I went to pull the info off the law tag and guess what? Those shady people at the furniture store REMOVED the tag. I certainly never removed it and you can see where it's been cut off. The other two tags that no one cares about are still attached of course. Why would ONLY the law tag have been removed? I've never removed a tag from a mattress in my life. Or the pillows I got (those are still attached because I took them home with me from the store and didn't have them delivered). I never even thought or bothered to check the mattress for the tag when they delivered it.

So, I have a worthless piece of crap mattress that has a great warranty that I can't use. I think the store removed the tag intentionally but I can't ask because the company no longer exists. Sorry if I seem a little cranky from crappy sleep for the last 8 months. Serta won't help you if you don't have the receipt and the tag and can't prove you are the person who bought it. Maybe they should just ask you for a DNA sampe and your first born when you register your mattress. And they tell you to call the place you bought it from.

I actually can't find anyone who has successfully used the Serta warranty. I think it's a complete scam. Oh, and by the way, they no longer offer 20 year warranties. Probably because they figured out their crap doesn't last 20 years. I will NEVER buy another SERTA again. Serta should learn from industry leaders like Herman Miller who offer a 12 year warranty on my office chair that replaced my Serta office chair. Hassle free. Serta is ALL HASSLE. You could spend less money on a mattress and it would last probably just as long. No wonder these internet mattress companies are taking over. So, I'm a consumer with back problems and a piece of crap mattress and no recourse as a consumer other than to vent in a review online. I'm attaching photos of where the tag was and how badly the mattress sags. It's not jut a little, its 4-5".

Original review: July 13, 2018

Did a lot of research before investing in a Serta. After getting it I was convinced it was not the same degree of firmness as the store. I had been looking for a uniformly firm mattress, but the one we got was soft. When we checked with Serta the code was the same, but the mattress definitely was not firm! We returned to the store and confirmed that the floor model was much firmer. Now a year or two later there are hollow spots under our bodies. We are not heavier than average but have created compression! No recourse for it. We do not recommend.

Original review: July 8, 2018

Let me first start by saying I am not one to spend my time writing reviews but I could not let this go. Do not buy this overpriced, poor quality mattress. After a few months the mattress loses all support. In the middle to the point where you sink into a hole. It loses all support on the edges to the point it's easy to roll out of the bed. My husband and I both wake up with sore backs, hips and necks. The worst part is we paid $1700.00 for this piece of crap. The warranty sounds good until you call them. I have called and emailed several times with no response!! I have read other reviews that say Serta will send someone to your house and if the mattress isn't 1 1/2" depressed, without anyone laying on it, they claim it doesn't fall under warranty. Terrible quality and terrible company. Never again and I hope others heed my warning. Had I read more reviews prior, I would never have purchased.

Original review: July 7, 2018

I have been having headaches and been very anxious since sleeping on this Serta icomfort 300 mattress. I’ve only had it for 4 days but the smell from mattress doesn’t seem to be improving any. Has anyone else had this experience from this mattress?

Original review: July 3, 2018

I recently spent $30 for 2 Serta Pillows, trusting the brand name. In two weeks they went flat, no better than pillows bought at Walmart for $3 each. I tried unsuccessfully to get resolution via Serta directly. A complete waste of time as the standard reply was the pillows are not made by Serta, they are made by one of our "trusted partners" and obvious the reply was from an non-English speaking agent. Serta does not stand behind their products. Buy at your own risk and don't expect any resolution.

Original review: June 8, 2018

The memory foam mattress is the best mattress ever. You could almost have someone jumping on the other half and never feel it. No springs to ever poke you. Conforms to your body. Long lasting, no need to flip or rotate like coil spring mattresses.

Original review: June 8, 2018

The Serta mattress has been great. We have had it for many years and it is still like new. Would not be interested in getting another one at this time.

Original review: June 7, 2018

We love our mattress that I bought online at Penney's a few years ago. It replace a mattress I had for nearly 25 years by Serta so I knew it would be a good mattress.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Very solid and fits to your body yet stays in shape. Doesn't sag over use and doesn't retain heat either. I have spine issues and this is by far the best mattress I've owned. Highly recommend it.

Serta Mattress expert review by Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.

Serta has been making quality mattresses for over 80 years and has been recognized and awarded for its products. It is committed to being environmentally responsible in manufacturing and production. Serta and Simmons are now the same company.

• Variety: The Serta perfect sleeper is the lower cost line which is great for light use or occasional use. The better model is the iComfort Series (introduction of foam and gel).

• Retail stores: Serta has a number of retail stores around the country where consumers can test out the mattresses before deciding which one to purchase.

• Support: It has excellent customer support, both when purchasing mattresses online and in retail stores.

• Financing: Customers can finance their purchases and can get 0 percent APR for up to 60 months in certain cases.

• Best for: Serta mattresses are best for eco-friendly, parents and professionals.

Profile picture of Michael J. Breus, Ph.D.
    Michael J. Breus, Ph.D. Mattress Contributing Editor

Michael J. Breus, Ph.D., known as The Sleep Doctor, is a Clinical Psychologist and both a Diplomate of the American Board of Sleep Medicine and a Fellow of The American Academy of Sleep Medicine. He is on the clinical advisory board of The Dr. Oz Show and is a regular contributor on the show. He is also the author of several books, including The Sleep Doctor’s Diet Plan: Lose Weight Through Better Sleep (Rodale Books; 2011) and Good Night: The Sleep Doctor’s 4-Week Program to Better Sleep and Better Health (Dutton/Penguin; 2006). Dr. Breus has been featured on several national media outlets, including The Today Show, The CBS Early Show and Psychology Today.

Serta Mattress Company Information