2.6/5 (550 ratings)

About Ethan Allen

Ethan Allen Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ethan Allen?

Original review: Feb. 15, 2012

We ordered two white tufted chairs in July 2011. When the chairs were delivered late October the workmanship was shoddy and the chairs were dirty. We kept the chairs over the holidays and they were picked up to be repaired in early January with the assurance they would be repaired and cleaned to look like new. We were told it would take about 2 weeks for the work to be done. The chairs were delivered over a month later, 2/15/12, and were not repaired and were even dirtier. The rep I talked to from their facility told me she went out to inspect the chairs before they were shipped to us. Really? We did not accept them and who knows what will happen now. At this point I do not want the chairs any longer because I am afraid replacements will not be of any better quality. We will never buy from Ethan Allen again. Their furniture is very expensive and they infer good quality which is not the case.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2012

I just want to say beware of shopping with Ethan Allen. My husband told me not to purchase from them because large companies that want their money up front will not deliver what you ordered but what they want you to have. And that is just what they did. And what they call designers or rejects from the the real designers trust me.They will not own up to mistakes even after they come to your home and see that they were wrong. Customer service is not important to them. This company is a rip off.

We spent $5,600 and they offered us a $100 gift card. We did not accept the card and will never shop with them again. And by the way, don't ever buy window treatments from them. They will hire a local seamstress to make them and charge you triple the price. So save yourselves some time and money and hire your own local seamstress. Our purchase was made in Cary ,N.C.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2012

I bought 4 new kitchen chairs with hand picked upholstery and fabric from the Viera, Florida store of Ethan Allen. Two of the 4 chairs had no backing in the center of the seat cushion with only the fabric supporting the weight of anyone sitting on them. It's amazing how these chairs ever made it out of the factory. A third chair is now starting to break internally as well. You can hear the staples pop when you sit on it. I spoke with our sales person about the problem and it took 7 days before I heard from anyone to investigate the problem, which is terrible customer service. We also purchased a large leather ottoman and the nail heads are falling off. I am terribly disappointed in the quality and defects of there furniture and I will never purchase from them again.

Ethan Allen called me today and stated they wanted to replace all 4 chairs even though 2 where certainly broken however, I declined their offer and have asked to speak with the supervisor of customer service since the representative I spoke with was not very nice and seemed uninterested. At this stage, I plan on getting my money back for this over priced garbage they gave us.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2012

I will never again buy anything from Ethan Allen. Unfortunately, I did not read all these complaints prior to spending $2100 for a sofa nobody can sit on. I had seen an extremely comfortable and attractive sofa in the third avenue store in New York City. The saleslady, Sandra **, told me that the sofa I would receive would be the same as the one in the showroom. However, the sofa delivered to my apartment was nothing like the sofa I ordered. It was as hard as a rock and neither my husband nor I could sit on it and feel comfortable.

The next day I went to the store to complain, but was told that Ms. Sandra was not available and another sales person would take care of me. I was told that the sofa on the floor had been there for several years and because hundreds of people had sat on it, it had softened up. I was told that the sofa I purchased would eventually soften up also. I told the sales lady that I did not have the time to wait a few years for it to feel comfortable and I wanted my money back. To this she replied that it was custom made and there could be no refund. She refused to answer me when I told her that since I did not purchase the floor model, all sofas can be considered custom made. She said they would send someone from customer service to my apartment to see if anything could be done for me.

The man from customer service did come to my apartment but refused to admit that the cushions were unusually hard, but told me that customer service could redo the cushions with a softer filling. When I called customer service, they told me there would be a charge of several hundred dollars to redo the cushions, and would call me back in a few days to give me the exact cost. I never heard from them. What reliable store would make you pay several hundred dollars to remedy their shoddy work over and above the $2100 I had already paid for the sofa? I again called the store and my original saleslady told me that her supervisor told her not to speak to me again. When I went to the store to speak to someone, a sales person appeared with a camera, snapped my picture and told me never to appear in the store again. Believe me, I will never enter that store again.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2012

On December 2, we ordered, paying with credit card, a D model # 451567 cherry Victor Pedestal from the Ethan Allen store in Renaissance in Ridgeland, MS. We were told 6 to 8 weeks delivery. Not happy but accepted it. In three weeks, somebody called, I think from the Birmingham, AL office, saying our pedestal was on the way and asking directions to deliver in 2 days. In two days, someone (maybe local) called and said, "It arrived with a ding in it, and we are ordering a replacement." No word for five weeks. Two weeks ago we went to the store (no apologies for delay or lack of communication) and they called somebody and said 15 were available and one would arrive within 2 weeks.

Hearing nothing in three weeks, we went to the store today and two rude and unsympathetic people, one appearing to be the manager, said, "It arrived and had a ding in it, and we are having a repairman make it like new. You will hear from us soon." Now, what are the odds that two identical items would arrive with "a ding" or is the shipping firm they hire that incompetent? How likely that they kept the original damaged one and now allegedly are trying to repair it? Maybe. We understand why we have never seen a single customer in the store when we have been there at intervals over the year it has been open! If they had said, the first time come look at the ding and see how important it is to you, and offered a price reduction, perhaps I would have agreed. Then!

The personnel are rude and uncaring and unsympathetic and the store management obviously cannot deliver on sales agreements. If I do not have a pedestal, or can go to the store to examine a properly repaired pedestal, by Monday, I want my credit card account credited with the entire price of purchase. Even this is not going to pacify my angry husband---this was my choice of a Christmas gift and it spoiled Christmas for him that it did not arrive.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2012

I went to EA store in Paducah in August 2011 looking for fabric. The rep. Mr. ** came to my home in Sept. 2011 to consult on my needs. Upon his recommendations, we discussed the possibility of a new sofa and chair.

Additionally, I chose a fabric to reupholster my dining room chairs and he required a check for full payment which I wrote. The price was expensive and I was hesitant to proceed until Mr. ** enticed me with his idea there would be enough left-over fabric to do a "window treatment". (My window is only 75 x 62 inches). He also stated he would bring the fabric and cover the chairs himself as it was a simple task with a stapler gun. Upon his declaration of that idea, I decided to proceed. We even discussed the type of rod, which he had several choices at the store we would preview. That was the only, motivating reason I made my decision. He stated the fabric would arrive in 3 to 4 weeks. It was November and I hadn't heard anything from Mr. ** or the store.

I drove to Paducah to inquire. I was told Mr. ** only worked on Friday and Saturday. He called me about 5 days later and informed me the fabric I had ordered was discontinued and unavailable. Though disappointed, I returned to the store to preview other selections. Mr. ** returned to my home a week or so later with swatches and presumptuously tried to sell me a fabric I didn't want. I told him the fabric we had previously discussed was the one I wanted. I had seen it at the store before which was the same fabric originally ordered except a varying color. After waiting yet another month. I returned to the store where I had a conversation with "Ken" who was very nice and we even did a cursory glance at the curtain rods and I looked at sofas & chairs again. Ken said he wasn't apprised about my fabric and was sure it was on Mr. ** desk for him to address when he returned to work.

Mr. ** called a week later (early December), to advise me the fabric hadn't arrived yet. I expressed my hope it would be here before Christmas. Of course it didn't arrive and once again in January 2012, I drove back (50+ miles) to the EA store whereupon I was given excuses, etc. by Annette, store owner. She promised to "check into" this and call me back. She called the next day and said she had contacted the vendor and my fabric was "on the way". About 3 or 4 days later, Annette called again stating it would arrive at the store on Jan. 9, a week out. The very next day, someone else called and said, "Your fabric is here!" Mr. ** called and scheduled an appointment time to bring the fabric and cover the chairs on a Saturday. Though it wasn't an inconvenience, he arrived 3 hours later than he was scheduled. He began to cover the chairs when I observed he was not lining the chairs with an "undercover material" that he had told be the day I ordered it, back in September, would be necessary to preclude the original fabric from "showing through" the new one. He hesitated before stating he didn't bring any and perhaps, did I have some "old sheets" he could use. I responded I didn't have any "old" sheets, but did manage to find 3 pillow cases and offered those. We were both "put out" by this. He gave up and said he would just take the seats with him, have them covered and come back the next day (Sunday)..."on my own time" and get this finished. I had no choice but to agree. He did return and we put the chairs together. When I asked him about the remnants and left-over fabric, he told me he didn't bring them. I told him I would come by the store and pick them up, whereupon he said "No, I will mail them to you". When I asked about the window treatment, etc. He stated there was not enough material to do them. I was taken back by this and perplexed but, regrettably now, I didn't pursue the matter and left.

After pondering this dilemma, I for about the 7th or 8th time, returned to the Paducah EA where I explained this situation to Annette. She simply made excuses for Mr. Watkins and she was puzzled because he "always did such a good job and was a good decorator". She asked me what I wanted and I stated "only what I was promised", which was enough leftover fabric to do the window treatment -- just like Mr. ** promised. A few days later, Mr. ** called with Annette on the conference line. He said he was really "put out" with me and my expectations. Furthermore, he denied that he ever offered to do the window text. I must have "misunderstood" him. I strongly disagreed and reviewed the facts. The call ended when he emphatically declared he was "not about to pay for any extra fabric". I politely replied I would take the issue up with Ethan Allen, Corp. He said, "fine, I will defend myself".

I am stunned, disappointed and angry that my experience with a reputable company turned out this way. It was a very negative customer experience to the point of being unbelievable! I might add that my impatience with this prolonged, drawn-out mess, resulted in proceeding with the purchase of a sofa from another local designer store. Perhaps Mr. ** noticed this and that could have peeved him to the point of not caring about my customer expectations. It was never discussed. I would appreciate your response to this complaint and hopefully an agreeable resolution to my satisfaction. As in all business, that is all that is expected... a happy customer! Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2012

I ordered a sofa and a rug from Ethan Allen at the beginning of October. The delivery date was at the latest December 20. The sofa arrived in good time and so far I'm happy with it, but the rug did not arrive until January. I was already peeved that I didn't have the rug for Christmas. When it arrived I saw only the big picture: it looked good in my room. Then a week later I was about to vacuum when I noticed that some of the threads were loose; in fact, they were not finished in the pattern at all and if I pulled them, I was afraid they'd unravel.

Then I checked the hem of the rug and found at least two places where the sewing was so crooked. It looked like the operator was drunk when it was completed. I sent photos to the store and then had to follow up again with them to find out what would happen. Right now, the rug is on the way back to the manufacturer to see if it can be "repaired". For $1200 I am extremely dissatisfied with the quality of the rug and totally unimpressed with the customer service.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2012

We were Ethan Allen customers for the past 17 years, but not anymore. We ordered a sofa and love seat, which was delivered on December 28, 2011. Both pieces have flaws in the fabrics like, strap marks and runs in the fabric. The quality of both pieces is very poor. The regional manager came to our home and declared that there are no issues, and he would not refund our money. However, he would replace the back and side panels. I asked why he would replace anything if he sees no issues, and his response was he doesn't even have to do that. I would warn any consumer to be wary of Ethan Allen. Our experience is that with evident flaws, they refused to admit, and will not refund your money. The case is still in dispute. Ethan Allen so far, has refused to refund our money for obvious substandard product.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2012

I ordered custom window treatments for my dining room. When the installer arrived and laid everything out, I recognized immediately that the tiebacks for the drapes were not what I had chosen and the ones that were there did not match the color of the rod. They were gold; the rod was dark brown. He referred to my paperwork and confirmed that I was indeed correct.

I was told he would place an order for those, and they would take approximately 3 weeks to arrive, at which time, he would call me and switch out the ones he was putting up. After a month and not hearing from him, I called Ethan Allen. They put me in touch with the installer who claimed he had no recollection of this conversation and asked if he could call him back.

He did call me back and let me know that he forgot to order them, but prior to calling me this time, he had completed the order and said they would take approximately 3 weeks. Well, 3 weeks later, he called and said that the company did not offer the tiebacks in the same color as the rod! And he offered to paint them himself.

I was shocked that they would tell such a lie. Secondly, I would never allow this man to take the tiebacks for fear of never getting them back and to pay thousands of dollars for overpriced window treatments that only to have some man paint them? Seriously? Ethan Allen has lost their minds! They quoted me $8100.00 to do my living room, and they still have the audacity to continue to call me to see if I've decided to do them. Ha, they'll never see another dime nor will I ever recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2012

On 4/29/06, I ordered a mattress and box spring from Ethan Allen for $2,500. It was to last a lifetime. On 9/15/08, Ethan Allen replaced the set with the same item. Here it is, 1/2012, and the mattress sags so badly, I am forced to replace it again. What is my recourse with Ethan Allen for a partial rebate?

Original review: Jan. 2, 2012

Issue concerns refinishing dresser tops of two British classic units which were discolored by placing jewelery boxes on the tops, advised by Ethan Allen. I could not replicate finish as they do not provide stain and it is a proprietary process. I cannot believe this requires their re-finisher, at a cost, of course. We have over 50k in each furnishings, pictures, carpets, etc.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2011

Dining set did not last very long at all. It's expensive, but poor quality. The table top finish did not stand up. The finish on the chairs literally wore off, wheat back chairs spin around instead of remaining in place and just recently the entire arm broke off as someone was getting up from it. I'm very disappointed in the high priced poor quality furniture from Ethan Allen. Our leather sectional also is not of the quality one would expect for the price. The entire back of our set has buckled. I was told that the warranty had expired so there is nothing they can do about it. Although the look of new furniture is beautiful, the poor quality is not what we anticipated. We're very discouraged with our purchases. A lamp we purchased has broken. Our bookcase door won't stay closed. The list goes on and on. I doubt if we would ever purchase another item from Ethan Allen.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2011

Guess what? Good news for you, no complaint. I have had an Ethan Allen Black Finish complete dining room set since the early 70's. I love it. It has served us well through all these years. However, I have a problem. I need someone in the finishing department to help me, since a Sharpie white pen "exploded", and I now have dots all over the beautiful finish. The contents of the pen contained alcohol, according to the Sharpie people. I need help desperately, before Christmas, so my table looks as great as it always has.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2011

My husband and I went into the Ethan Allen store in Pembroke Pines, FL. I went to Ethan Allen because I thought they were a good company but after reading all of the complaints and from what I have experienced, I can't believe they are still in business especially nowadays and I'm pretty unsure what I'm going to do. I was looking at two Curio Cabinets, Ana printed out pictures for me and I went home to think about it.

I called her and asked when she had time if she could measure the inside of the shelves for me and she could call me back. After an hour 1/2, there's no phone call so I called her again and she stated she was with a customer and would call me back in 10 min. 3 hours later, still no call. I waited till the next day mid-afternoon to see if she would call and still no call. I called and spoke with the manager which, to be honest, she made excuses for the sales person. All Ana could have done was give the information to the girl that was at the front desk (the greeter) and have her call me.

I guess Ethan Allen must me doing very well if they can afford to lose customers. The manager also doesn't know how to keep a customer, I suggested that they should have given me a discount and not give Ana her full commission since she did not follow up with me. I love the piece that I want but I think I just might go somewhere else. It seems that they either don't stand behind their product or don't care about customers.

About a month ago, I went into that store and half of the store was empty. I thought they were moving or going out of business. Not one sales person approached me and I walked the whole store. The manager should have posted a note or someone should have said they were redoing the store and putting new furniture out. I guess that should have given me a hint about the customer service they provide. Many of my neighbors thought the same thing that they were closing.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2011

I had a horrible experience with Ethan Allen. I purchased over $2000 in bedroom furniture that after 2 years went defective. After review of the defective furniture by the service representative, Ethan Allen accused me of damaging my own furniture. And they refused to do anything to right this obvious defect with the furniture. I later learned that the furniture had been returned by several customers due to the exact same defect.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2011

We are now up to 4 months for delivery of over $20,000 in furniture promised to be delivered in 2 months. We have had bits and pieces delivered 3 times now, with the bulk of the order in their warehouse. Despite the wait and the demands they made on our time delivering minor pieces, they refused to deliver for two more weeks as "our area is not on the schedule”. All requests to the store for help were ignored. We spent our money and that's the end of service. We want furniture in the 2 months they promised or responsive service. "Forget about Ethan Allen". We will never walk in to their store again and we hope you don't either.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2011

My wife and I ordered a sectional for $3,900 on 6 Jun 11 and I still have not received it to this date, 16 Oct 11. They said that it was badly damaged when it came from the factory and had to make another one. I will never buy anything from them ever again. You can take that to the bank because I'm done with them. I'm going to try to get some money off on this piece for this long wait.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2011

I have a bad experience in this store. I would never shop in this store again, or other Ethan Allen stores. There is a lot more to this story.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2011

I purchased a $500 mirror five years ago at Ethan Allen store on 6025 West Main Street in Kalamazoo, MI, and when it was taken down to move to my new residence, it fell apart, the frame from the mirror.

I called the store 10 days ago and nobody returned my call. I was told that it was not under warranty and the company would not do anything about it. Later the staff (Mary **) stated that I could take the mirror to the store and they would look at it and get in touch with the corporate office and they would return my call with a decision. Once again, they never called me back.

When I called today, I spoke with the manager Annie and she said they would not fix the mirror or do anything about this. I can not believe that a company would not stand behind their product. Why would a brass mirror simply fall apart from the frame after hanging on the wall for five years? It is a heavy mirror but should be engineered to withstand holding together. I told Annie that I would not ever buy any other products from Ethan Allen. She simply stated, "I am sorry you feel this way about it."

I will tell others through word of mouth that this is not a company that stands behind its products and they quite frankly were rude and disrespectful to me. When going to the store with the mirror, they told me they need not hear about my story, they've heard it before.

How different they were when I went to order two complete rooms full of furniture? They were so sweet and accommodating. They gave me no suggestions how to repair the mirror or further resolve the problem. We spent over $20,000 with our orders and now this is how the company responds. I have antique furniture and mirrors that are 75 years old that are holding up better than Ethan Allen's product. I am bitterly disappointed.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2011

I recently purchased a sofa from Ethan Allen's - Tysons Corner Design Center at 8520 Leesburg Pike, Vienna, Virginia 22182. The salesman who sold me the sofa mistakenly informed me that the cushions of the floor model were representative of the sofa I was purchasing, and did not inform me that what I was buying was different from the floor model, which he represented to me as identical.

When the sofa was delivered, I was surprised that it was different, and not the same, as the sofa that the salesman had sold me. In good faith, and pursuant to Ethan Allen's sales receipt and Terms and Conditions of Sale, a copies of which are attached, I have contacted Ethan Allen numerous times and attempted to return the sofa. Unfortunately, the Ethan Allen personnel I have contacted have refused to acknowledge that I contacted them, not been cooperative, and in the case of the District Manager, made bizarre statements about the attached Terms and Conditions of Sale document.

On or about November 3, 2010, I purchased a sofa from Ethan Allen salesman, Eric **. The sofa was delivered to my house on December 17, 2010.

On December 18, 2010, approximately 24-hours after the sofas delivery, I placed a telephone call to Salesman ** and explained that the cushions of the sofa delivered to my house were different from the floor model that he had shown me, and were not the same as the floor model, which he represented to me as being identical. I explained that the cushions are much too large, and different from the ones I tested and sat on in the showroom. That model had softer cushions. I went on to say that the manufacturer stuffed the cushions with so much filling that the cushions were much thicker and fatter than the ones in your showroom. The cushions were so much thicker that when I sit on the sofa it made me feel as though I am being pushed off the sofa by the too-large cushions. I stated that the cushions were not a good match for this size of the sofa because they take up and absorb so much of the available sitting space on the sofa as to not leave enough room for people to sit on the sofa.

I explained to Salesman ** that because I had agreed to purchase the sofa in good faith, but had been sold a sofa that had been misrepresented as being the same as the showroom model, and was unacceptable, I was returning the sofa to Ethan Allen pursuant to the sales receipt and Terms and Conditions of Sale document. I stated to Salesman ** that I wanted Ethan Allen to pick up the sofa and give me a full refund without penalty because of the misrepresentation.

Salesman ** explained to me that a return would be impossible at that time. Salesman ** asked me to unzip the cushions, press all the air out of them and again check their performance. I was also told that the cushions would probably have to break in over time. If this didn't work, Salesman ** explained that the defect with the sofa might be a warranty issue and that an Ethan Allen representative would have to visit my home, inspect the sofa, and the Ethan Allen would subsequently make a decision as to correct or replace to sofa or cushions. In any event, a return would not be possible until Ethan Allen made a ruling as to what the problem with the sofa was.

I visited my local lumber yard, purchased a piece of plywood, wrapped the cushions and covered them with the plywood and parked my two-ton automobile on the cushions for several days. This action did not break in the cushions. Subsequent to my telephone conversation with Salesman **, Ethan Allen Customer Service Representative Chris **, at telephone number **, stated in a message to me: "The -6 cores should not be performing like this. I will send my Upholstery Technician to inspect. Expect a call from Eric (Technician) in the next 48 hrs. to schedule service."

A representative of Ethan Allen subsequently visited my house, inspected the defective sofa, took photographs of the sofa, and stated to me that someone from Ethan Allen would contact me in the next week-or-so.

Having not received the promised call from Ethan Allen, I again contacted Messrs. ** and **. Both stated there was nothing wrong with the sofa, and that Ethan Allen had no obligation to take any further action. I explained that pursuant to the Terms and Conditions of Sale document, I still wanted to return the sofa refund, but I was told that since the three-day return period had expired and my only alternative was to purchase softer, replacement cushions.

Since I need a sofa and wanted very much to avoid litigation, I continued to try to work with Ethan Allen. I contacted Salesman ** about how to go about obtaining replacement cushions. Again, having not received any response I sent another message to Salesman **. This is his response to my question if he had received my message: @I didn't. I'm sorry; I'll get right on that today and will be in touch with what service says.''

After some time, Salesman ** contacted me and stated that replacements for the defective cushions would cost me approximately $250. Needless to say, I was disappointed.

Subsequent to my communication with Salesman **, I met with Ethan Allens Tysons Corner Design Center Manager Brenda ** who, like other Ethan Allen representatives, was dismissive of my concerns and refused to accept my request for refund stating that the return period had expired. Ms. ** dismissed the fact that I had tried to return the sofa within the period allowed by the Terms and Conditions of Sale document, and she pressured me into paying $262.50, for new replacement cushions.

After receiving the new cushions some time later, I discovered they still did not perform as the floor model cushions did at the Tysons Corner Design Center. I again wrapped the cushions, covered them with the plywood, and parked my two-ton automobile on the cushions for several days. This action did not break in the cushions. The new cushions I was pressured and forced to purchase do not have an acceptable appearance and do not look like my original cushions. The new cushions I purchased are wrinkled, crumpled, and ugly. The new cushions I was pressured and forced to purchase also did not come with material for the throw pillows that are standard with the sofa. Although I paid for them, I suspect Ethan Allen wants additional money from me.

In an attempt to confirm that the Ethan Allen representatives at the Tysons Corner Design Center had not been honest with me and had, and continued to, deceive me, I visited Ethan Allen Salesperson Lauren **, Ethan Allen, 2900 Wilson Blvd., Arlington, Virginia, on or about February 9, 2011, a copy of SRs business card is attached. SR stated to me that if wanted to purchase the same sofa I purchased the Tysons Corner Design Center, I should select the type of cushion I preferred by sitting on the floor model there at the Arlington store. SR stated that I should be careful because the cushions on the floor model were not the same as the cushions that I would receive because the floor model was similar to a rental car it had been sat on so many times by so many people over such a long time that the cushions were only a rough approximation of the sofa I would be purchasing.

Because of Ethan Allens bad faith and dishonest treatment of me, I contacted Ethan Allens corporate headquarters in Danbury, Connecticut. I spoke with Eddie ** and his supervisor at telephone number **. Mr. ** initially returned my telephone calls, but stopped returning my calls after my second or third call. Mr. ** was not helpful.

Subsequent to my contact with Mr. ** and his supervisor, I received a call from Ethan Allen District Manager Cheryl ** at telephone number **. I explained all the issues with the defective sofa that I had purchased how I had tried to return it and how I had been stonewalled and pressured into purchasing new cushions at my expense, etc. As with other Ethan Allen representatives, District Manager ** was uncooperative. With a new twist of bad faith and dishonesty, District Manager ** insisted that I had not paid for the replacements for the defective cushions and that Ethan Allen had paid for them! District Manager ** continued with her dishonesty and stated to me that the paperwork provided to me at the time of purchase stated that Ethan Allen furniture requires a break-in period! Although Ethan Allen has still not provided me with a receipt for the replacement cushions I paid for, a copy of my credit card statement is attached indicating that Ethan Allen charged me $262.50, on March 24, 2011. Additionally, the attached Terms and Conditions of Sale document stating nothing about break-in periods.

A search I conducted of the World Wide Web revealed dozens of internet complaints about Ethan Allens lack of candor when retailing furniture to the public. I am seeking a full refund of the purchase price of the sofa and the purchase price of the cushions. I am also requesting Ethan Allen visit my house and remove the sofa and cushions.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2011

After an order was written up for a sofa and chair, the saleslady was asked if our old sofa and chair could be picked up at the time of delivery. She assured us that they could. When the delivery was made, we were told they do not do that. So we were left with a living room full of furniture to the point that we cannot walk in our living room now. I am 75 and unable to move the furniture on my own. All the store will do is apologize, which does not help us. The saleslady claims now that she does not remember.

We would not have made this purchase without a means to remove the old furniture. Basically, the saleslady lied in order to make a sale.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2011

I have recently been looking at purchasing a nassau 37" ottoman in aroya spice from Ethan Allen. It's a beautiful piece. It is on sale (per ethanallen.com) until Sept. 5 at a starting price of $449 plus cost of fabric. I found out the fabric I like is $86 dollars per yard, which I think is ridiculously overpriced, along with the cost of labor to upholster the ottoman. It was going to total the final price to over $800. So, I thought no thanks! Not to mention, there are these horror stories from unsatisfied clients. I definitely will not be making any purchases from this company.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2011

Ordered a dining table with 4 wheat back covered chairs. Waited almost 14 weeks for it to come and they sent the wrong fabric. It was a mistake on the design center. My copy had the correct code. They told me I still had to pay in full. They would correct the problem and come out with correct pads. 4weeks later no news from Susan at the design center. I had to call her and she gave me some story and that now it would take another 5-6 weeks. For chair pads!

Not acceptable my house is furnished with Ethan Allen from the North Andover mass store never had a problem I would advise everyone never to deal with thePlaistow NH store.

Original review: July 28, 2011

I ordered a kitchen set but wanted a different stain. I should have kept a piece for control but didn't. The table was the wrong color so instead of providing me with options and standing behind their product, I was told I would have to live with it. I'm also waiting for an appointment for a finisher to fix some scratches on the chairs and tables. I have spent over 50000 dollars with this designer but would not use her again or Ethan Allen.

Original review: March 5, 2011

This company just makes my blood boil. I bought a bed for my 4 year old daughter that is criminally unsafe. Imagine raised bed 1 foot above ground, box spring, 9 inches and mattress, 11 inches. She can't even climb in. And Ethan Allen will not take the whole set back, only the bed but Ethan Allen delivered the mattress to our home before the bed. After we made a complaint, they suggested a lower profile box spring which will take another 6 weeks to arrive and when I asked the salesperson if she expected my daughter to sleep on the floor after buying a $3000 bed, she told us that would be our decision.

We ordered the set in December and only accepted the mattress before the bed because it would take another 8 weeks for the bed and we were informed by the company that it was advisable to take the mattress and box spring first. The bed is a four poster canopy bed (obviously appealing more to a little girl than say a 30-year old man) but it is so high off the ground when you add in the normal box spring and mattress that we find it unsafe in the circumstances. We specifically told the salesperson that the bed was for a child and that is what we find upsetting that the company would sell us a product so obviously inappropriate and unsafe. Do not, I repeat, do not deal with this company. We feel so violated.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2010

I purchased the Pratt Sofa, model 207933, fabric 72201 Burgundy Palazzo (F), Cushion down $2779.00 original price. I received the merchandise and a few days later, discovered the side pillow were made of down but not the cushions. I contacted Ethan Allen and left a message with Janet the manager. She did not call back. I called customer service and Karen priced my sofa at $2779.00 with down. I did not receive the down, she acknowledged and she would talk to Sue and get back to me. I contacted 2 other salespeople at Ethan Allen and am still receiving the $2779 and $2749 price for the down. Sue insisted her pricing is correct and that I did not order down. I am also receiving a $450 up charge quote for down from Sue while the other sales reps are quoting $150 up charge or difference. I left another message for Janet.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2010

I had silhouettes hung 2007 in my great room with insufficient brackets, there should have been 5. Only 3 were installed. Everything was shipped to Nevada from New York and installed through Hunter Douglas. So on Monday, Nov 16th 2010, the whole rod and curtain come tumbling down and almost hit me on my head. I could not believe this. This began my nightmare of trying to get Ethan Allen to get someone to my home. I called Utah, Colorado, New York, Maryland and Arizona, everyone just kept passing the buck, and including trying to reach Hunter Douglas to find out who installed (the man's name and number). No one seemed to know.

Finally, I got someone in Arizona and as of today still have no one to come out and fix. I then took it upon myself to thumb through the yellow pages and lo and behold found this great man. He came today and fixed the bracket as well as installed a few others to make sure this would not happen again. Now I am trying to be reimbursed the money I just laid out. I am dealing with Conn., the main headquarters. I hope to have an answer tomorrow . The bottom line is they need some kind of repair center set up here. They closed the store in New York where I initially made my purchases. I spent $30-$40,000. I also had bought another shade in New York for my bedroom; it kept breaking. I kept paying for repair. Finally I gave up because the people said it was not their problem, made in New York. New York said to me what could they do, I was in Nevada. I would like to get rid of it and get shutters. I never asked for money for that.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2010

Is it possible for me to reply to the individuals that filed their complaints with you about Ethan Allen? I received the same treatment from them and I'd like to find out what the outcomes in their cases are and whether they have any advice. I would greatly appreciate your reply.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2010

I purchased 3 items from Ethan Allen on May 2010 and placed 50% down, with additional payments made to current date. One purchased item arrived July 2010, but was damaged. At the end of Sept 2010, we were notified that all items, including the replacement for the damaged piece had arrived and once the bill was settled, they are available for delivery. Due to vacation plans, we requested delivery at the end of October. After returning from our vacation, I requested the amount due for full payment so delivery could be scheduled. The Billing Department has not been able to provide an accurate statement of the amount due. For 3 weeks, as of this time, I have requested billing information multiple times and still can not get an accurate accounting. Many of the times I have called and the front desk person would tell me that either nobody was available in the Billing Department to help me or that the store manager was not available.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2010

My wife and I have been long-standing Ethan Allen customers, having made numerous purchases over the years from their stores in Northridge, Thousand Oaks, and Ventura, California. During the past decade, we have made many purchases from other stores other than our local Ventura store because the Ventura store has consistently been disorganized and poorly managed. My wife and I greatly regret making our most recent $25,000 purchase through the Ventura store.

My wife and I have been very frustrated and disappointed with the lack of professionalism shown by their staff, particularly Janet ** and Breanne **. When there have been problems with our purchase, they have not followed through to ensure that the challenges are resolved and that we are satisfied. When we initially made our purchase on July 16, 2010, we were promised that the window treatments and rug would be delivered within 4 weeks to 6 weeks. We were also asked to pay for one half of the purchase up front and the balance upon our receipt of our entire purchase. After almost 10 weeks, we have received only about $4500 worth of our initial $25,000 purchase, and neither Janet nor Breanne have been able to provide us with an estimated date for the delivery for the rest of our purchase.

We have repeatedly been told that the material for the curtains and the rug are back ordered. After receiving a portion of the order, we were given the option of picking other materials for the rest of our order because their employees did not know when or if we would receive the items. We would never have placed the order if we had been told they might not be able to provide us with the materials, particularly newer materials. It is mystifying that a national corporation, such as Ethan Allen, has been out-of-stock on standard materials for three months. It has been very upsetting to have Ethan Allen employees calling us to pay the balance on the three curtains we have received, particularly when we were told that we would pay the balance when all of the items were delivered.

I am very uncomfortable giving Ethan Allen more money, when so many businesses (particularly in this industry) are going out of business and when their employees cannot confirm that the material is even available. Again, I paid about $12,500 on July 16, 2010, and 10 weeks later, I have only received about $4500 of merchandise, some of which was damaged. I do not think it is reasonable nor fair to expect me to pay another $2300 when I have no idea when or if the rest of my order will be delivered. Further, my wife and I are both frustrated that their employees can find time to call us to request payment, but can never find the time to call us to update us on the delivery of our order.

We were also really disappointed with the process leading up to our purchase. We scheduled an appointment for Breanne to come to our home and to go over fabric samples. I took time off of work from my medical practice, only to have Breanne cancel the appointment at the last minute. When she did come to our home one or two weeks later, she certainly created the impression that she postponed her appointment because we were the only meeting for the previous Friday, but on the day she rescheduled, she had booked two other appointments in Santa Barbara and had made arrangements for a date after she met with my wife and I. Even more disconcerting was the long delays in getting Breanne to follow-up on our order, to the point that I contacted our regional manager, Peter **, because of imminent price increases.

Breanne had told us that the prices would go up by about 10 percent at the beginning of July 2010. There were further delays of weeks for Breanne to provide us with the contracts and measurement information. When we went to review the fabrics and finalize our purchase, Breanne had mistakenly selected the wrong fabric for our master bathroom, and my 9-year-old son and I both immediately noticed the mistake. Further, as we were finalizing our purchase and the store was about to close, we realized that after about four or five weeks of discussing our order with Breanne, she had never asked us about our preferences for curtain rods, valances, trim, and hardware. Even though we had been to the Ventura store several times, she never showed us the displays for these essential elements of our purchase. Next, Breanne and Janet miscalculated our order so that the contracts had to be revised. The series of errors and mistakes went from frustrating to comical to disturbing.

Twice during the past year we have been promised the option of no-interest financing for 6 to 12 months, only to be told that we did not qualify for financing, despite our 780-790 FICO scores and my good income. We are very frustrated about our interactions with Ethan Allen, particularly the Ventura store. If we cannot get these matters resolved within the next week, we will be forced to dispute the entire purchase with our American Express credit card.

During the past four months, I have spent an inordinate amount of time attempting to complete a $26,000 purchase through Ethan Allen. Obviously, Ethan Allen does not value my business, and clearly they have not regard for my time or treating me with basic human decency. During an era in which Thomasville is closing stores, I am surprised at Ethan Allen’s myopic business strategies. The fact that Ethan Allen has not delivered my order in accordance with our contract, and the fact that Ethan Allen has repeatedly ignored my requests to resolve this matter raise serious concerns about Ethan Allen’s business ethics and lead me to wonder if Ethan Allen is going to make a fraudulent money grab before going out of business.

I paid Ethan Allen over $13,000 back in early July 2010, and after four months, Ethan Allen has only delivered about 10 percent to 20 percent of my purchase. In good faith, I paid Ethan Allen the balance on the items I received. Due to the lack of response from any management figure at Ethan Allen, whether the local manager, Janet **, the regional manager Peter **, or the corporate office, Ethan Allen has fully neglected this problem to the point that I am considering filing a complaint with the Ventura County and Santa Barbara County District Attorneys. I have disputed the charges through American Express.

Given their total disregard for me as a customer, if Ethan Allen cannot deliver my entire purchase along with a discount for the time I have had to waste on rectifying this matter, I think we may need to cancel the entire order. I am not interested in purchasing custom draperies in green to match a $10,000 custom area rug, only to have the area rug never delivered. Additionally, my Ethan Allen Avenue Collection bed frame is falling apart due to poor workmanship. I would like Ethan Allen to repair this problem at no charge to me.

Thank you for your thoughtful consideration of this matter. I look forward to your immediate reply.

Ethan Allen Company Information