Wise (formerly TransferWise)

Wise

3.5/5 (336 ratings)

About Wise

Wise, formerly TransferWise, is disrupting the way the world transfers money. Move your money with no hidden charges and for up to eight times less than traditional banks. Our method is easy and fast without sacrificing security and has been trusted by over one million customers across the world.

Wise (formerly TransferWise) Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wise (formerly TransferWise)?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wise?

Original review: Oct. 1, 2022

Following advice from a trusted colleague I was recommended to open a bank account with Wise. Right after my new employer transferred my first salary + bonuses and some reimbursement money amounting to USD 8500 to my new Wise account a few days ago, Wise deactivated my account without any prior notice given whatsoever. I am currently at a loss (literally). I will update very soon.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

My account was closed without explanation mid of first transfer. Fine. I looked online and saw it on their website that there are multiple reasons for this and that they should return the money in about 3 days. 3 days later, still no money. I called and asked to speak with someone that could help me, they could not. They said they would have a supervisor return my call and requested I send an email to the appeals department to get my money back. I sent the email and got an auto reply that it would be 5-10 working days. 11 working days later, no response so I sent another email. During that time, no supervisor called me.

Today is 14 working days, I called again, they could not help me. The CSR said they would get someone to call me back and was about to hang up. Only she never asked my name, phone number or email. I sent another email trying to get answers that has still not been replied to other than their auto reply that now says 20 working days.

I did finally get a call back from the supervisor. They could not help me at all. They lied to me claiming that it says on their website how long they were permitted to hold onto my money. It does not. It says they will do what's necessary. So that to me says indefinitely. I asked them if they could get in contact with anyone in the appeals department. They said no. I pushed hard on this. They claim there is zero internal ability through any channels to contact the appeals division. This is ridiculous and an obvious lie. They said they would email me the information to lodge a complaint. They sent me the UK ombudsman link only. Of course, they know full well that they will not do anything until at least 8 weeks. Complaint over, for now.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2022

Updated on 11/01/2022: Ok this is an update to my experience which is still under dispute under Wise. Wise did reverse my charges and promised to send a new physical card at my address. It was to be received last month. However till this day I haven't received it. And I have been following up with emails on this but there is no answer from them. Previously they were contacting me back in time but not now. Seems like they probably blocked me or something. I need to travel next month and need to load some money but I don't have the physical card yet. Let's see what happens. I will keep posting my experience.

Original: Ripped off by 500 dollars. I have just started with Wise and I was wise enough to experiment with only a 1,000 dollars at first before traveling. I decided against carrying loads of money as I originally planned on this card. And I am so grateful for this. I have to say that as long as it was straightforward, I had no problem receiving an answer to every question via email. As soon as there began a problem, they have stopped communicating and pretend like they don't understand what the issue is. My card got hacked at the atm and I was fraudulently charged over 500 dollars. Have been communicating over this with them over weeks but it doesn't seem to go forward. I will be updating my experience to let you know on this website as time goes to see if they do anything about it or not.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2022

They want all your information, your social security number, your username, password, social security number. No no do not use this company. There is no live people to talk to, if you try to talk to someone to verify you have to pay to talk to someone. This is crazy. Do not use this company. Lot of bad reviews. When you go on their website they even have a place where you can try to get buyers off of your computer from them. Don't use this company.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2022

I have had this account for years, and use it as my primary account whilst living and working in Australia whilst taking a UK income. Wise is working under delays such that adding cash to the account cannot be done in a timely manner. Right now I have tried to add money to my account on Friday 26th August, but the money will not enter the account past checks until 5th September. I have also been told by customer service any further additions get backlogged behind that one. It's an unacceptable delay to get my income, or keep the balance of the account topped up and has essentially made the account unusable.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2022

I wanted to transfer an amount from EU to the US. Wise accepted the money, and flagged that it could take around 10 days. The transfer didn’t go through. I waited another week and got in touch with them and they told me they are missing information, which was not something they flagged earlier. I asked for the transfer to be cancelled, because I wanted to find a quicker solution. It’s now been almost 3 weeks since I requested this and have still not gotten a refund. There’s no way to call them and they are not responding to emails.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2022

I send a transfer to my landlord on August 3 of $1800 from the App. I received a few days later a notice that there had been a problem but I could fix it by re-submitting the transfer which I did.... Since then mayhem: first, after countless emails and phone calls Wise still refused to even acknowledge that they had receive my initial payment on the 3 of August 2022. Then it claimed that I wanted to pay twice and that I owed them money... and so on. Problem still not solved.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

Wise isn't a trustful partner to work with. I've had 2 bad experiences and decided to quit them for good. 1) Wired the funds to Wise with the promise to have the funds transferred within 2 business days. That didn't happen. I kept calling them to complete the transfer and they didn't know what to do. They indicated missing documents but weren't effective to complete the transfer. At the end I've requested to be refunded and the case closed. 2) I have started the process to transfer the money again, then received a guaranteed rate for 96 hours with the deadline of Aug 8, 2022. The funds were wired on Aug 6th, then they changed the rate without notice, indicating the guaranteed was for 48 hours and deadline of Aug 5th. Shame on these people. I will never do business with them again!

Sidnei

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

I was supposed to receive money from a country within SEPA, however 5 days later even with the transfer receipt, Wise is seemingly unable to transfer my money as they used to, and on top of that when I was able to reach the customer service by phone (after sending no less than 5 emails without any reply) the guy on the phone was the "RUDEST" person ever, he even started shouting at me, and refused to continue the call...Guess what up? Until now my money is still not available in my account.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2022

Here's my experience: I work at preply.com as a teacher and tried sending payments to Wise.com. First, it was 23$, it shows "received" but 0 came to my account. After 24 emails with wise.com and preply.com, I tried again with 10$ and it's the same story. They tell stories that I need to contact some bank which I do not know. They canceled the transfer but the money never came back. My conclusion: DON"T TRUST THEM.

Original review: July 23, 2022

First let me tell you I have used Wise in the past quite successfully and have always been pleased with their service. Well not anymore. I transferred around $2000,- to a family member's account overseas. I used all the right IBAN information as requested and the money was taken out of my bank account immediately. Then however, the money never showed up in the other person's account. I was unable to find ANY contact information for Wise and had to do a deep dive online to get their contact info.

After finally contacting them, they said they have "been experiencing some issues with Interac transfers and that they have canceled the transfer. But that they can't deposit any money back because they never received it". They are blaming Interac and saying there is nothing they can do. Leaving me to write email after email in the hope of finding my money. I have lost complete faith in this company and would NOT recommend using them to anyone at this point. I will update this review if steps have been taken and the issue is resolved.

Original review: July 22, 2022

Customer service is where it matters most, especially in circumstances like these. Wise has been good, but now that I am out of my own money due to Wise wanting more information about the account I transferred from (that I provided a week ago) they are nowhere to be seen. I can’t even call these guys. I am in another country, without money, waiting on quite a large transfer to be processed. The only reason I transferred all this money over to my Wise account is because I lost my home country bank card. So I thought, why not just move it all to my Wise account to avoid possibly losing it all. Big mistake. I won’t be using Wise in future and definitely won’t be recommending to family and friends anymore.

Original review: July 22, 2022

They haven't answered any of my emails for THREE WEEKS AND STOLE MY MONEY!! Do not use Wise. I tried transferring €4000 and they just stole the money. I lost patience after 3 weeks and canceled the transfer (and I still didn't receive anything). I think they are running a pyramid scheme where they keep your money, lend it to others, and if you're lucky, after one month they give you money stolen from other victims. Wise is not a big company. It's just a small website run by a few people, with nonexistent customer service. I have been sending about 20 emails every day since they apparently stole my money 3 weeks ago, and only have received one copy-paste answer saying "our customer service is currently receiving a lot of requests". Wise does not have a phone number.

Original review: July 20, 2022

Seems this company is into full time scam. I transferred money from INR to GBP 20 days back. Initially they started coming up with false reasons that account names does not match etc. and I patiently gave them all evidences and documents. Once they realised that these lies cannot go any further they simply stopped responding. So currently they are not doing the transfer, not allowing me to cancel, chat option has disappeared. Seems they are planning to run away with all the customer money. Can somebody suggest what the helpless people like me do?

Resolution response: July 13, 2022

Update day after my review here; suddenly security checks are complete and transfer is "on its way". It will take several days for the foreign bank to clear so recipient actually gets the funds so too early to say this has been resolved. Even if all is ok now some interactions with Wise support have been unpleasant and stressful. Will update again if there are further problems or if the transfer actually completes.

Original review: July 12, 2022

I decided to try Wise for a global money transfer trying save money over using my bank. My bank allows Interac transfers to wise and that was the cheapest fastest option. Problem began when they did not confirm receipt of my funds for 3 days. Interac takes hours not days. Then I contacted customer support only to be told that they were holding funds for 15-16 banking days to carry out "security checks". I then asked how long it would take to get my money back if I cancel. Reply was same - transfer or cancel. Why need security checks if cancelling? So they will hold my money for 3 weeks before before even getting an answer what happens next. Will update here but at this point I feel using wise was a big mistake.

Original review: July 11, 2022

1400 EUR transfer of mine returned from receiver bank account to Wise and in application it appears to be returned and money paid out. However, it was never paid out by Wise and my money is literally disappeared. I contacted Wise. It has been over two weeks and no response yet from them. It is very disappointing. My money is lost because of Wise. I have every proof from both sides that money was not paid out but still no response from them. I do not recommend them if you care about your money.

Original review: July 10, 2022

Warning!!!! Don't use this app, this is a scam, I tried to add 1000$ to my Wise card from my bank account, the money sent to account that I don't know, I tried to call wise without any success, I chatted and explained the situation, every time with different person, they keep write me that the money sent to the wrong account which I know and explained from the beginning, this games keep going 2 weeks, don't use them, I lost the 1000$, there is no way to report them because they are international.

Original review: July 8, 2022

Wise did not transfer my money, failed to contact me about the reason why my transfer could not be done, customer service lied about emails that were not sent to me (they said they had been sent, which is absolutely not true), then they closed my account and did not refund me the 900 euros of the pending transfer. This money is mine and wise simply stole it without reason. I am speechless. I will contact my lawyer as there must be a way to get my money back. Do not use them!

Original review: July 2, 2022

It is not clear why, Wise, blocks accounts and our money? In one person and the court and the prosecutor! Or just scammers! Wise stole $650 from me. We write complaints at the place of registration of the company (Great Britain "FCA" - Registration number **).

Original review: July 1, 2022

Do not trust Wise, They are like a scam. I send money and they did not transfer my money and they are holding it. They are not completing the transfer. Also they are not sending my money back. DO NOT USE this website. You will lose your money.

Original review: June 30, 2022

Updated on 08/02/2022: BEWARE! If it hasn't happened to you now, it could happen at any time. They banned my account and just haven't responded for a month. I sent them an appeal, but no reaction. They didn't explain to me what exactly I violated, I just asked the customer support about crypto. Look at their rules if you didn't read them and think about safety of your money: «25.2 We may suspend or close your Multi Currency Account and/or Wise Account without notice in certain circumstances. We may at any time suspend or close your Multi Currency Account and/or Wise Account and/or end this Agreement without notice if: (a) you breach any provision of this Agreement or documents referred to in this Agreement;...» That is, they can ban you and not explain anything and simply stop responding as they did to me.

Original Review: I have been a Wise customer for a very long time and never had any problems until today. They simply banned my account forever without the right to appeal, without the right to contact the customer support, because I bought cryptocurrency through P2P, and then asked them if it was allowed to do so and if it was not prohibited by their rules. This is the most hurtful and unfair reaction I have ever seen. The most unpleasant impression after such actions.

Original review: June 28, 2022

I initiated a transfer through Wise and it was smoothly done without any hassle but now when they already charged me in my debit card and the money was supposed to reach my receiver, they are asking for the extra documents. That does not make sense at all. If you require the paperwork, then why not ask before the transfer. Then, when I wanted to cancel the transfer, they said, customer service cannot handle it, only the higher authority can perform it. Absolutely pathetic, they are mishandling my money. Wise needs to work on their regulations and stop customers from having a bad experience.

Original review: June 23, 2022

I am having to desperately write a review given their customer support system appears to function very much so like a Facebook. No one contacted me or attempted to resolve the issues I and my company are now facing. Interestingly once your accounts are blocked you have no access to them so you are unable to access their customer support system through the app and all of your information is no longer available.

Allow me to share with you firstly what has happened to a legitimate US company transacting hundreds of thousands of dollars through WISE for over a year and a half. It must be noted that I also had a personal account along with some of the members of my family along with a business account US-based and without any notice, ALL my accounts were blocked on June the 5th 2022. It must be noted that prior to this sudden move from WISE we had obviously submitted all required documentation as we are fully compliant yet we have been given the run around for weeks.

As previously mentioned, once they arbitrarily decided to block our accounts we had to chase them and figure out how to reach them. We tried calling and finally reached someone who assured us they would escalate the issue as he could not find the reason why the sudden blocks yet it has been over weeks and every day we are being given the runaround. Please note that they also have blocked thousands of dollars from our business account, my personal and my family's. This is feeling and smelling like a crime and with no recourse from the law, we are feeling helpless.

I am now in contact with my in-house legal counsel and we will begin investigating our legal options to remedy this tragic turn of events. The public needs to be aware that this can happen to them just as it has happened to us. We had our entire financial system for international wire transfers set up through direct deposit through their platform so needless to say this is costing our company money and could have crippled a small operation. I am appealing to the authorities and to the review boards of this financial institution for assistance. I am more than willing to provide my contact details if it is necessary.

Original review: June 16, 2022

My business account has been blocked in April, they didn't even call me, just an email ended up in the junk folder asking for some details. After some time I contacted them to understand what was going on. I realized they asked me some questions. I provided the answers but several weeks later my account is still blocked and I get no answer to my emails. I won't trust this people with my money anymore.

Original review: June 10, 2022

Having been with Wise (formerly Transferwise) for over a year or so, I was pleased with their flexibility as far as money transfers were concerned. Although, as previously stated by other account holders, the 'clunkiness' of their communication system generally left a lot to be desired. This was particularly relevant when I had my account hacked twice within a period of three months (December 2021 - March 2022), which for me was a stressful and worrying experience. The explanation from Wise was that somehow somebody had hacked their official phone line and were hence ringing customers purporting to be Wise representatives. So, this happening once was bad enough, but to happen twice and understand that their telephone system was still susceptible to hacking, was too much for me.

On both occasions, my money was refunded, however, it still left me feeling vulnerable and the resolution of the second hacking experience took considerably longer and I personally felt that I was on 'trial' for this crime and was made to almost justify my actions in being 'conned', almost on their behalf. The moral of my story is - immediate goodbye to Wise, or in other words being wise after the event!!

Original review: June 9, 2022

I initiated my transfer 4 days back. They are still doing background check, especially their Indian partner banks are worst and not responding timely for verification of an Indian account. They have taken money from my Indian ICICI account but yet not replied why they haven't yet been able to transfer to Canadian account. I also called on their UK customer support and had a talk with Mr. **.. He also assured that all my verification process is complete. But still there is delay due to partner bank which is ridiculous.

Kind Regards,
Tejal **

India.

Original review: June 7, 2022

Wise.com's Mishandling of my US$2000 Transfer from Paypal. I would like to report Wise.com's weird payment behavior to you as follows: My name is Minghua ** from Hangzhou, China. I have been Wise.com's client since April this year. Wise.com, formerly Transferwise.com is a payment service registered in the UK and I have conducted some investigations before becoming its client.

On May 20 I have withdrawn US$1965 (after deducting US$35 of transaction fee) from Paypal to deposit it to my USD account of Evolve Bank & Trust opened through and trusted at Wise.com. However, a week was gone, my money has still not shown on my Evolve Bank & Trust account at Wise.com. Therefore I have contacted all parties involved in the transaction, incl. Paypal - the Payer, the Evolve Bank & Trust, the bank where my account is actually opened and Wise.com, the payment solution provider that has provided me that account during my registration.

Paypal replied on May 29 that they have made the payment successfully and considered the case as settled. To Evolve Bank & Trust I have submitted my question via their online form and they replied on June 1 & 2. Basically they said that they are partner bank of Wise.com but they do not have access to my account, albeit under their bank name. As such they suggested me to contact Paypal and Wise.com to find out the reasons, which I have done already, but with no results.

As far as Wise.com is concerned I have talked to its Help Center people a couple of times since May 25 via their Help Center, in chat, per site document uploading or through online email submittals. While per chatting on May 25 & 26, I was informed that no incoming funds transfer were detected in my account, my emails and document submittals got no feedback of whatsoever, till this moment when I am writing this email. Therefore I have conducted some researches of other ways of finding a solution, and finally I found their customer complaints email address at customercomplaints@wise.com and wrote an email to them on June 1.

This mail did got the replies a couple of hours later, see the email exchange between me and Wise.com's customercomplaints@wise.com. What they said is basically that the transfer of my money from Paypal was completed and the money is at their hand, but they have never informed me of anything since the money has reached them. They said they need some extra checks, but the mechanism of the so-called "extra checks" was never implemented, even since its customercomplaints@wise.com has promised to enable the mechanism on June 1/2 as stated in their mail. And since then, I have repeatedly ask them to move ahead with their so-called checks, however, all my requests were simply ignored and hence I have never heard from them since June 2. I can find no way to trigger the extra check mechanism as they told me.

I don't know what they are doing or want to do against my money, which I earned back 5 years ago with my translation services for a US company called Morningstar. And now my US$ 1965 from Paypal is still at Wise.com's disposal, and my account does not show any evidence of the transfer as indicated by the account statement on June 6. I have no way to get an answer from them, as all my emails get no answers, and their Help Center seems not operational as well.

Apart from the email entry, the chat and telephone functions are all grayed out, there is no way to contact them physically. But emails won't get answered at all. Therefore I have now no way to get any replies from Wise.com. They simply seem to have disappeared from the world. Then what they want to do with my US$1965? Do they want to retain my money forever as their own? Can anyone else do such thing as Wise.com is doing against people like me?

My money was legally earned through my expertise service. I am a linguist cum IT engineer with IC design and web/mobile development as my key expertise right now. I have discontinued with my language services a couple of years ago for various reasons, although I am proficient in English, German and French since the early 1980's. I am not a rich person, just on contrast, I am very poor, because I am not earning money through illegal ways. Therefore US$ 2000 is a big money to me. If someone steals that amount of money from me, that equals the killing of mine.

I don't think anyone in the world can keep my money without my agreement for any reason. I consider this act of Wise.com a crime, and therefore I want to seek justice with relevant financial and government authorities in the countries involved with this case. I hope God and justice will finally prevail and evil-doer like Wise.com will get severely punished. How severe they shall be punished, we shall work out a scheme together.

Anyway, my money must be recovered and returned to me as soon as possible, in one way or other, and any losses - direct or indirect - I may suffer from Wise.com mishandling shall be compensated as soon as possible, without delay. Otherwise the world's financial system will tumble. In fact, ever since the transfer, their wicked way of business has already made my life miserable and terrible. I cannot rest well, worried days and nights, and caused many troubles to my normal life. Their misconduct has destroyed my normal life, some of my plans and also makes me worry about my later life, for I am a man near retirement age and have no steady income. My business has yielded no income for me, although I have been trying my hardest over the last decades. Now my only option is to seek help from the financial industry and regulatory authority.

Original review: June 6, 2022

Wise. I've waited many days and you don't give me a solution, you are harming my household economy, you have had me for several days and you don't give me an answer if you are going to return my $12,000 because I need it. Until when do I have to wait Wise. I can't be calm.

Original review: June 3, 2022

They closed my business account for no reason, I live and operate in EU and they closed and said, "We are not here to provide reasons, we just close your business with no warning upfront to withdraw your client's money!" Maybe because of a grant we won from a startup accelerator! So Wise doesn't work with EU startups anymore? Transfer paused (#**).

Original review: June 1, 2022

Wise (TranferWise) are offering a referral program. They are not paying once they get a referral from you but only after 3 referrals are actually making transfers. During the last several years I have referred about 40-50 customers to Wise. I did get my referral fee for those referrals who started making transfers. At this time point, I have about 30 referrals who opened a bank account and still did not make any transfers. Recently, I have received a payment for my US real estate investing activity. Wise rejected receipt of the amount into my bank account. They asked for supporting documents, which I have provided. Wise suddenly surprised me with a vague message saying I no longer fit their "risk policy profile".

Honestly, this is not really big deal for me because Wise is unreliable and I easily got my funds through another bank account service provider. The issue is that Wise had closed my personal account which caused me to lose all my referrals. They refused to compensate me for this damage and also refused to reimburse me with my costs to open the account with them. They stated all of this is because "I have utilized my account with them." It feels Wise is allowing themselves to act as they wish without any respect to damages caused on my end due to their internal policies. I wonder what is the best way to make them meet the consequences of their behavior? I see that Wise is a UK company. Appreciate your help to get them pay for how they treated me. Thank you!

Wise (formerly TransferWise) Company Information