Wise (formerly TransferWise)

Wise

3.7/5 (726 ratings)

About Wise

Wise, formerly TransferWise, is disrupting the way the world transfers money. Move your money with no hidden charges and for up to eight times less than traditional banks. Our method is easy and fast without sacrificing security and has been trusted by over one million customers across the world.

Wise (formerly TransferWise) Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wise?

Original review: July 11, 2022

1400 EUR transfer of mine returned from receiver bank account to Wise and in application it appears to be returned and money paid out. However, it was never paid out by Wise and my money is literally disappeared. I contacted Wise. It has been over two weeks and no response yet from them. It is very disappointing. My money is lost because of Wise. I have every proof from both sides that money was not paid out but still no response from them. I do not recommend them if you care about your money.

Original review: July 10, 2022

Warning!!!! Don't use this app, this is a scam, I tried to add 1000$ to my Wise card from my bank account, the money sent to account that I don't know, I tried to call wise without any success, I chatted and explained the situation, every time with different person, they keep write me that the money sent to the wrong account which I know and explained from the beginning, this games keep going 2 weeks, don't use them, I lost the 1000$, there is no way to report them because they are international.

Original review: July 8, 2022

Wise did not transfer my money, failed to contact me about the reason why my transfer could not be done, customer service lied about emails that were not sent to me (they said they had been sent, which is absolutely not true), then they closed my account and did not refund me the 900 euros of the pending transfer. This money is mine and wise simply stole it without reason. I am speechless. I will contact my lawyer as there must be a way to get my money back. Do not use them!

Original review: July 2, 2022

It is not clear why, Wise, blocks accounts and our money? In one person and the court and the prosecutor! Or just scammers! Wise stole $650 from me. We write complaints at the place of registration of the company (Great Britain "FCA" - Registration number **).

Original review: July 1, 2022

Do not trust Wise, They are like a scam. I send money and they did not transfer my money and they are holding it. They are not completing the transfer. Also they are not sending my money back. DO NOT USE this website. You will lose your money.

Original review: June 30, 2022

Updated on 08/02/2022: BEWARE! If it hasn't happened to you now, it could happen at any time. They banned my account and just haven't responded for a month. I sent them an appeal, but no reaction. They didn't explain to me what exactly I violated, I just asked the customer support about crypto. Look at their rules if you didn't read them and think about safety of your money: «25.2 We may suspend or close your Multi Currency Account and/or Wise Account without notice in certain circumstances. We may at any time suspend or close your Multi Currency Account and/or Wise Account and/or end this Agreement without notice if: (a) you breach any provision of this Agreement or documents referred to in this Agreement;...» That is, they can ban you and not explain anything and simply stop responding as they did to me.

Original Review: I have been a Wise customer for a very long time and never had any problems until today. They simply banned my account forever without the right to appeal, without the right to contact the customer support, because I bought cryptocurrency through P2P, and then asked them if it was allowed to do so and if it was not prohibited by their rules. This is the most hurtful and unfair reaction I have ever seen. The most unpleasant impression after such actions.

Original review: June 28, 2022

I initiated a transfer through Wise and it was smoothly done without any hassle but now when they already charged me in my debit card and the money was supposed to reach my receiver, they are asking for the extra documents. That does not make sense at all. If you require the paperwork, then why not ask before the transfer. Then, when I wanted to cancel the transfer, they said, customer service cannot handle it, only the higher authority can perform it. Absolutely pathetic, they are mishandling my money. Wise needs to work on their regulations and stop customers from having a bad experience.

Original review: June 23, 2022

I am having to desperately write a review given their customer support system appears to function very much so like a Facebook. No one contacted me or attempted to resolve the issues I and my company are now facing. Interestingly once your accounts are blocked you have no access to them so you are unable to access their customer support system through the app and all of your information is no longer available.

Allow me to share with you firstly what has happened to a legitimate US company transacting hundreds of thousands of dollars through WISE for over a year and a half. It must be noted that I also had a personal account along with some of the members of my family along with a business account US-based and without any notice, ALL my accounts were blocked on June the 5th 2022. It must be noted that prior to this sudden move from WISE we had obviously submitted all required documentation as we are fully compliant yet we have been given the run around for weeks.

As previously mentioned, once they arbitrarily decided to block our accounts we had to chase them and figure out how to reach them. We tried calling and finally reached someone who assured us they would escalate the issue as he could not find the reason why the sudden blocks yet it has been over weeks and every day we are being given the runaround. Please note that they also have blocked thousands of dollars from our business account, my personal and my family's. This is feeling and smelling like a crime and with no recourse from the law, we are feeling helpless.

I am now in contact with my in-house legal counsel and we will begin investigating our legal options to remedy this tragic turn of events. The public needs to be aware that this can happen to them just as it has happened to us. We had our entire financial system for international wire transfers set up through direct deposit through their platform so needless to say this is costing our company money and could have crippled a small operation. I am appealing to the authorities and to the review boards of this financial institution for assistance. I am more than willing to provide my contact details if it is necessary.

Original review: June 16, 2022

My business account has been blocked in April, they didn't even call me, just an email ended up in the junk folder asking for some details. After some time I contacted them to understand what was going on. I realized they asked me some questions. I provided the answers but several weeks later my account is still blocked and I get no answer to my emails. I won't trust this people with my money anymore.

Original review: June 10, 2022

Having been with Wise (formerly Transferwise) for over a year or so, I was pleased with their flexibility as far as money transfers were concerned. Although, as previously stated by other account holders, the 'clunkiness' of their communication system generally left a lot to be desired. This was particularly relevant when I had my account hacked twice within a period of three months (December 2021 - March 2022), which for me was a stressful and worrying experience. The explanation from Wise was that somehow somebody had hacked their official phone line and were hence ringing customers purporting to be Wise representatives. So, this happening once was bad enough, but to happen twice and understand that their telephone system was still susceptible to hacking, was too much for me.

On both occasions, my money was refunded, however, it still left me feeling vulnerable and the resolution of the second hacking experience took considerably longer and I personally felt that I was on 'trial' for this crime and was made to almost justify my actions in being 'conned', almost on their behalf. The moral of my story is - immediate goodbye to Wise, or in other words being wise after the event!!

Original review: June 9, 2022

I initiated my transfer 4 days back. They are still doing background check, especially their Indian partner banks are worst and not responding timely for verification of an Indian account. They have taken money from my Indian ICICI account but yet not replied why they haven't yet been able to transfer to Canadian account. I also called on their UK customer support and had a talk with Mr. **.. He also assured that all my verification process is complete. But still there is delay due to partner bank which is ridiculous.

Kind Regards,
Tejal **

India.

Original review: June 7, 2022

Wise.com's Mishandling of my US$2000 Transfer from Paypal. I would like to report Wise.com's weird payment behavior to you as follows: My name is Minghua ** from Hangzhou, China. I have been Wise.com's client since April this year. Wise.com, formerly Transferwise.com is a payment service registered in the UK and I have conducted some investigations before becoming its client.

On May 20 I have withdrawn US$1965 (after deducting US$35 of transaction fee) from Paypal to deposit it to my USD account of Evolve Bank & Trust opened through and trusted at Wise.com. However, a week was gone, my money has still not shown on my Evolve Bank & Trust account at Wise.com. Therefore I have contacted all parties involved in the transaction, incl. Paypal - the Payer, the Evolve Bank & Trust, the bank where my account is actually opened and Wise.com, the payment solution provider that has provided me that account during my registration.

Paypal replied on May 29 that they have made the payment successfully and considered the case as settled. To Evolve Bank & Trust I have submitted my question via their online form and they replied on June 1 & 2. Basically they said that they are partner bank of Wise.com but they do not have access to my account, albeit under their bank name. As such they suggested me to contact Paypal and Wise.com to find out the reasons, which I have done already, but with no results.

As far as Wise.com is concerned I have talked to its Help Center people a couple of times since May 25 via their Help Center, in chat, per site document uploading or through online email submittals. While per chatting on May 25 & 26, I was informed that no incoming funds transfer were detected in my account, my emails and document submittals got no feedback of whatsoever, till this moment when I am writing this email. Therefore I have conducted some researches of other ways of finding a solution, and finally I found their customer complaints email address at customercomplaints@wise.com and wrote an email to them on June 1.

This mail did got the replies a couple of hours later, see the email exchange between me and Wise.com's customercomplaints@wise.com. What they said is basically that the transfer of my money from Paypal was completed and the money is at their hand, but they have never informed me of anything since the money has reached them. They said they need some extra checks, but the mechanism of the so-called "extra checks" was never implemented, even since its customercomplaints@wise.com has promised to enable the mechanism on June 1/2 as stated in their mail. And since then, I have repeatedly ask them to move ahead with their so-called checks, however, all my requests were simply ignored and hence I have never heard from them since June 2. I can find no way to trigger the extra check mechanism as they told me.

I don't know what they are doing or want to do against my money, which I earned back 5 years ago with my translation services for a US company called Morningstar. And now my US$ 1965 from Paypal is still at Wise.com's disposal, and my account does not show any evidence of the transfer as indicated by the account statement on June 6. I have no way to get an answer from them, as all my emails get no answers, and their Help Center seems not operational as well.

Apart from the email entry, the chat and telephone functions are all grayed out, there is no way to contact them physically. But emails won't get answered at all. Therefore I have now no way to get any replies from Wise.com. They simply seem to have disappeared from the world. Then what they want to do with my US$1965? Do they want to retain my money forever as their own? Can anyone else do such thing as Wise.com is doing against people like me?

My money was legally earned through my expertise service. I am a linguist cum IT engineer with IC design and web/mobile development as my key expertise right now. I have discontinued with my language services a couple of years ago for various reasons, although I am proficient in English, German and French since the early 1980's. I am not a rich person, just on contrast, I am very poor, because I am not earning money through illegal ways. Therefore US$ 2000 is a big money to me. If someone steals that amount of money from me, that equals the killing of mine.

I don't think anyone in the world can keep my money without my agreement for any reason. I consider this act of Wise.com a crime, and therefore I want to seek justice with relevant financial and government authorities in the countries involved with this case. I hope God and justice will finally prevail and evil-doer like Wise.com will get severely punished. How severe they shall be punished, we shall work out a scheme together.

Anyway, my money must be recovered and returned to me as soon as possible, in one way or other, and any losses - direct or indirect - I may suffer from Wise.com mishandling shall be compensated as soon as possible, without delay. Otherwise the world's financial system will tumble. In fact, ever since the transfer, their wicked way of business has already made my life miserable and terrible. I cannot rest well, worried days and nights, and caused many troubles to my normal life. Their misconduct has destroyed my normal life, some of my plans and also makes me worry about my later life, for I am a man near retirement age and have no steady income. My business has yielded no income for me, although I have been trying my hardest over the last decades. Now my only option is to seek help from the financial industry and regulatory authority.

Original review: June 6, 2022

Wise. I've waited many days and you don't give me a solution, you are harming my household economy, you have had me for several days and you don't give me an answer if you are going to return my $12,000 because I need it. Until when do I have to wait Wise. I can't be calm.

Original review: June 3, 2022

They closed my business account for no reason, I live and operate in EU and they closed and said, "We are not here to provide reasons, we just close your business with no warning upfront to withdraw your client's money!" Maybe because of a grant we won from a startup accelerator! So Wise doesn't work with EU startups anymore? Transfer paused (#**).

Original review: June 1, 2022

Wise (TranferWise) are offering a referral program. They are not paying once they get a referral from you but only after 3 referrals are actually making transfers. During the last several years I have referred about 40-50 customers to Wise. I did get my referral fee for those referrals who started making transfers. At this time point, I have about 30 referrals who opened a bank account and still did not make any transfers. Recently, I have received a payment for my US real estate investing activity. Wise rejected receipt of the amount into my bank account. They asked for supporting documents, which I have provided. Wise suddenly surprised me with a vague message saying I no longer fit their "risk policy profile".

Honestly, this is not really big deal for me because Wise is unreliable and I easily got my funds through another bank account service provider. The issue is that Wise had closed my personal account which caused me to lose all my referrals. They refused to compensate me for this damage and also refused to reimburse me with my costs to open the account with them. They stated all of this is because "I have utilized my account with them." It feels Wise is allowing themselves to act as they wish without any respect to damages caused on my end due to their internal policies. I wonder what is the best way to make them meet the consequences of their behavior? I see that Wise is a UK company. Appreciate your help to get them pay for how they treated me. Thank you!

Original review: June 1, 2022

Wise is involded in the practice of holding customers' and clients' funds for 3-6 months after closing the account while collecting interest on these balances. On numerous occasions they will claim the funds are being sent back and that there is nothing they can do to expedite the process. The fact of the matter is Wise knows exactly where "your funds" are and are holding them in an interest bearing account collecting interest on hundreds of thousands of clients' and customers' funds. When they finally decide the make a valid attempt at returning your funds it likely been right before they legally need to provide availability of these funds or return the money and close the account. Stay away as this company is extremely shady, and uses manipulative tactics to get new users' funds into their interest bearing accounts.

Original review: May 26, 2022

Transferwise take your money, then say they don't have sufficient documents to complete the transfer and that the transfer will be delayed. This is unethical. They should confirm that they have sufficient KYC before allowing you to make a transfer and debiting your credit card.

Original review: May 23, 2022

Do not fall for the cheap rate marketing gimmick. Absolutely pathetic customer service. Took our money over a week ago and asked for more documents for verification. Provided all documents and since then, no response. The online chat is worthless and has the same recorded message that our team is looking into it and may take 5-10 working days. That time has already come and gone. A huge mistake was made by our business to go with them.

Original review: May 19, 2022

Poor service. Wanted to make a transfer for some urgent work and I was told that they were running some checks so it would be paid after 5 days. When I checked after 5 days, it is still showing as running checks. So I called to get some help and I was advised that it's a part of regulation that the check they were doing and it would take another 5-20 working days. I told them to cancel the transfer and I was advised that it will be reviewed by the review team and then the cancellation will be confirmed. What a service they provide. As a customer, I paid for this but they just provided a poor service or no service at all! Avoid.

Original review: May 17, 2022

Would give them no stars if I could since for all intents and purposes I've been robbed. Been over a month, still no money. I was paid by an organization in Australia over a month ago. When it came to the means for payment, I suggested Venmo as I reliably used them every day. The organization, told me Wise was the way to go. That was late April, One chat and two emails asking, "where is this money?" Later, still no money. First, they said they were being "Checked" by some banking regulatory group and then sent me a second notice that the money would be paid in a few days. When I clicked on the link it was already expired.

When I send a second email asking, they said it was my bank. Useless. My money is gone. I'll never use them again.

Original review: May 13, 2022

I chose Wise because they advertise 60 min transfers. After they take your money they delay the transfer by 5 days, then two weeks and longer. I have asked for the refund on the 3rd of May. 10 days later I still have not received my money neither the recipient. Surprisingly they have glowing reviews on TrustPilot.

Original review: May 9, 2022

After making an account, I tried to transfer money from Singapore to the UK. Wise took the money and then without warning deactivated the account. After two forms of ID were sent, the account remained closed. The money has not been returned after 1 month, and I'm now told it will take up to a further 60 working days for the appeals process. I need this money to pay rent. Completely unacceptable and untrustworthy. It is unwise to use their service!

Original review: May 6, 2022

I transferred $1,250 to my family in South America (Ecuador). The money was lost. I contacted Wise three times to ask for help to find the money but was told there was nothing to do but wait. It's been 4 months.

Original review: May 5, 2022

I use Wise to receive my monthly income between the USA company and my bank account in SA. On Tuesday 3rd May I initiated the transaction to pay the money into my local account. The estimate on their system was that I would receive the money on the 4th at 7 pm. Today is Thursday 5 May and Wise still has not converted the money to ZAR nor paid it out to my bank. They have been lying that I needed to fill the form-I fill in the reserve bank's form once a year only since I receive monthly payments in $$.

After they realised that this lie didn't hold water-they changed the story and said they have paid out my money. This was on Wednesday evening after 7 pm. Today I have been dealing with several agents who keep telling me it takes 1-2 business days for the transaction to process-Well, this is day 3. I am furious because I have obligations which I can't meet because Wise is fraudulently withholding my funds!!!

Original review: May 5, 2022

Why Wise is not a reliable bank? My wife opened a Wise account and transferred her money to it. After one year, Wise wanted to verify again her address again. My wife undertook to send them all the requested documents but in the meantime, Wise blocked her Mastercard and her bank account. She no longer has access to her account and pay her bills. She has been fighting for two weeks and she has no news from Wise. She can't do anything.. She is worried about her money.

We have never had this kind of problem in our 30 years of experience with banks! Even when there are payment problems (which there are not), you can still access your account and use your money. Do you accept that your bank account is blocked, that you can't consult your account or pay your charges anymore...? Well, Wise can block your account and your money for a simple administrative question and without you being in the illegality.

Original review: May 1, 2022

For no reason Wise stopped transfer from one account to another in my own name - for more than two months they have not transferred or refunded - they have no policy in relation to how long they can keep the money for and it seems that no refund will be made. AVOID - it is a PURE SCAM.

Original review: April 28, 2022

I always transfer some small amount 400 USD to Georgia, usually the middle fee is 3 or 4 USD, however I just transfer 400 USD yesterday, they charged me 12 USD besides I paid for them 8 CAD already, it is really crazy, tried to call them, the phone is always busy.

Resolution response: April 26, 2022

After receiving a very irate and threatening email on 4/25, WISE refunded my full account balance on 4/26. I do NOT recommend using their services!

Original review: April 26, 2022

I operated a Wise account from 2018 up to April 2022 with very little issues receiving payments as I freelance working with Upwork, Paro and a few US companies. I recently decided to formalize my services (bookkeeping and accounting) to gain more business and formed a company at the end of March 2022. I needed a business account, after doing some research, I applied for a business account with WISE. They came back after reviewing my legally opened company to say they deactivated my personal account because I "violated their terms of use policy" and I can either appeal or ask for a refund. I was pissed to say the least. So I asked to have a refund of my monies, that was 4/13. I called customer service and was told on the 18 or 19th that I would receive my monies the following day via ACH payment. It's now been 12 days for a 2/3 day refund according to their initial email to me.

I called again, sent a few more emails and was given a case number and told they will respond after 5-10 days. THEY ARE A SCAM - STAY AWAY. Do not use their services as they will arbitrarily freeze your money then don't tell you why. My hard earned money is now on the verge of being stolen if they haven't done so already. I did not violate their terms of use. The company to provide the same bookkeeping and accounting services was not in operation as I had no clients contracted to it or a bank account. DO NOT OPEN A TRANSFERWISE/WISE ACCOUNT. YOUR MONEY WILL BE FROZEN THEN STOLEN FOR SOME ARBITRARY REASON THEY WILL NOT DISCLOSE TO YOU!

Original review: April 22, 2022

Despite being a long time customer since 3 out of 4 money transfers since 04/03/2022 have been held up for days/weeks for alleged 'checking' procedures. Terrible service. I am still awaiting money from transfer o

Original review: April 18, 2022

I needed to make a payment from the United States to a freelance graphic artist in the UK. I filled out the Wise application which took a good amount of time and involved documents and sensitive information only for my transfer to be denied with no explanation. I emailed the service department and was told my transaction was denied for security reasons and that I would have to use a different card. I was using a JP Morgan/Chase debit card of a valid account with an sufficient balance. If you feeling like wasting a lot of time to just be give an excuse of why they won't fulfill your transaction this service is for you.

Wise (formerly TransferWise) Company Information