2. Miscellaneous

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.41/5

Social Security Administration Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Social Security Administration?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Social Security Administration?

Original review: March 16, 2021

This review is for the telephonic customer service for the Social Security Administration (number listed and the one I dialed was 1-800-772-1213). It appears that they may be working from home, thus, the extreme wait time. On March 15, 2021 at about 12:15PM, I called the above number to get some additional information on a replacement social security card I made on the latter part of February of 2021. They show a 7-10 day period before you receive your replacement. Well, it's been almost three weeks and guess what, no replacement card in my possession!

Now here's where things could really get ugly. I have a commercial driver's license that I was not able to renew as a result of not having my social security card in my possession. That's a long story in itself, but since we're already here, here's the story... Presently in California, when you go in for your five year in person renewal, they force you to convert over to the REALID, whether you want to or not. I have a valid passport and had no need for this intrusive REALID, but they require you to upgrade to it to renew your commercial license. It seems unfair to have to go this route to simply renew your commercial license. So, at this moment, I am technically unlicensed.

I have been driving since 17 and now I'm 56. In all these decades of driving, I've never been unlicensed. And here I am, unable to renew my driver's license. To make it clear, in order to get the state's REALID, they require your social security card and numerous other personal documents to prove who you are and where you live. The thought crosses my mind of driving with no license and having some enforcement taken upon me. This is scary. I have never been arrested and haven't had a ticket in over 30 years. You tell me if this is fair or makes any sense.

Anyway, with no social security card in my hands, I called the above number which takes you to the social security administration pre-recorded line with voice prompt. They tell you what the wait is, and on my call, it was an hour and 15 minutes. There is ZERO options to simply talk to an operator to possibly avoid the wait.

I wait my turn, and by now it's an hour and 10 minutes. A social security service agent (a female in her 40's, based on my best guess), is hardly willing to help and is apparently pre-occupied with the TV or something else. I explain my situation and right in the middle of explaining, she is trying to talk over me. She's not listening and I am unable to completely explain the potential dangerous situation I'm in. Amidst all of this, she tells me to hang on and doesn't come back on the line to finish the call.

While I'm waiting for her to come back, she hangs up on me. Let's see, I've been on hold for over an hour, and I get this lukewarm individual that's apparently watching TV or doing whatever that's obviously not job-related. Whatever she's doing, she's not helping me get my social security card so I can renew my drivers license.

I call back at the same toll free number, where I'm on hold for about 30 minutes, As soon as someone picks up the call, the phone immediately goes dead. So this sounds like this is a childish way for social security administration workers to avoid doing their job by hanging up on people who have been waiting on hold for long periods of time. What a shame is my initial thoughts. I'm thinking of the poor seniors or others who might need more urgent help or who might be in need of their services for basic needs like food. Is this what they they'd need to go through?

Anyway, I did call back and the wait was over an hour again. I looked online and submitted a service complaint. I submitted the below complaint along with my cell phone number and email. I stated that I would like to speak to a supervisor. I sent the email at approximately 3;30 PM. I will update this review if I receive a response about my social security card or the conduct of the social security worker who refused to help me.

Here is a copy and paste job of the complaint I forwarded: "Hello, I called social security to inquire about a social security replacement card. I made the call at approximately 12:25 PM to 1-800-772-1213 from my cell phone number **. I was on hold for an hour and 10 minutes. When the person answered (sounded like a female in her 40's), she was very unresponsive, and showed very little enthusiasm, There were very long uncomfortable pauses where she chose to stop talking. And while I was trying to explain my situation, she kept interrupting me before I had finished which was totally disrespectful. This worker's behavior showed she was apparently pre-occupied with some other issue.

What is certain is that my issue was NOT resolved and the government employee did a poor job on this particular call. My issue (and the purpose of the call) was I applied for a replacement social security card and it's been almost three weeks with no response and no card. I have no idea if my replacement card request was submitted to the social security administration.

Back to the worker who handled my call, I got no answer to my concern, and for unknown reason, the worker abruptly told me to hold on. During this time, she didn't state what the reason was to hold on (such as I have another call, or some other issue). She did not return or offer any help to my situation. After trying to encourage her to provide some help, the phone suddenly went dead. This was after being on the phone (at this point) for over an hour and 15 minutes. I have no doubt that the employee intentionally hung up on me. I would like for a supervisor to look into this and get in touch with me. I would also like to see this discourteous employee reprimanded. This is no way to treat people who are relying on these same employees for help. Thank You."

Original review: Jan. 25, 2021

I had previously sent in app to get a new s.s. card so I could get new i.d. After not receiving a response I called and was told to send my birth certificate in and proof of address. When I called about it I was told that it was sent back to me already. After about at least 4 more calls in which I was told something different every time. I never received my certificate back so I called again I I was hung up on by one lady just because I told her it doesn't take two weeks to get regular mail in the same city.

So I had to call back where I encountered a lady by the name of Mrs ** who wouldn't even let me explain what was going on and who was also very rude to me and cut me off every time I tried to talk. I went through all of this just to find out that I had been lied to about my birth certificate being sent back to me. I was then asked for my address which I had provided with two other documents that I had mailed in with my certificate and I also had provided it 3 other times. My wife was with me the last two times and witnessed how rude they were because I had them in speaker. Something needs to be done about these rude workers. They are working from home and I understand that. But the job consist of some kinda customer service and respect for ppl. I still haven't got my certificate back yet. It taken almost two months to get something I could have gotten the same day. This is not acceptable!!!!

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

I called SSA to resolve the non-receipt of my first social security check but didn't have some information readily available. After waiting online for 25 minutes, Tessa G stated that she would disconnect me if I didn't have the information in another minute. My point is that my time is important also. I have called SSA, no less than 6 times in three days and waited no less than 20 minutes on each call. Prior to Tessa, everyone was patient and supportive. I don't know if it because I am ** or if she treats all clients with this attitude but regardless it's not the expectation or experience I've had with SSA this week. I disconnected the call because I didn't need any added frustration. SSA should collect feedback from clients to use in their annual staff reviews and provide training or termination if necessary.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

I moved to the Reno area. The first time I attempted to send a letter to this office they completely ignored it. I called them and it auto holder me do I got to listen to a tv show of a worker from home. Then I kept writing letters and managed to get my disability file moved but they set up a fraudulent date for my move! Two months in advance were listed as my having lived there! Then they sent me a poorly designed letter setting up to get info from me but never called, after no explanation of what info they wanted at all? I am asking for a federal level advocate or management of my case!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2020

I needed help with my social security account, I couldn't sign in and the temporary password wasn't working and every associate was rude to me over the phone! Either being rude for no reason or hanging up on me! Especially Donna at social security in Columbia, Mo, she told me to stop rambling when I was explaining my situation! It's their job to help people with disabilities and not treat them horribly!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

I’ve had to call a number of times to get my marriage license returned to me. I get the same employee every time who mumbles, does not respond to your questions and talks with other around him while on the phone. This office clearly doesn’t think they are required to treat callers as fellow humans and finds it acceptable to give demeaning answers to those looking for service.

Original review: June 26, 2020

I called my local Social Security Administration about becoming my own payee and the agent who I talked to was very non caring. Did not ask for my SSA number and said I would need a doctors note. I asked if possible can my payee come with me to the office once they reopen. The agent said, "No you will still need a doctors note." The agent seemed very non caring and rude after the second question. So I hung up. Also they said to my relative they will be opening within 30 days a few days ago over the phone and today my relative called SSA. They said they don’t know when SSA will open for in person.

Original review: April 30, 2020

I filed for disability, it took me 8 years. I had HS. Hidradenitis Suppurativa. 4 prostrate surgeries. The HS disease is compared to Lupus. I worked hard every day as a welder fabricator for 23 yrs. I supported my family very well. We lost everything, home, cars. No clothes for our children. It was so bad, I tried to go steal my kids some school clothes. I was caught. I never stole in my life. After 8 years of getting denied. For made up reasons. I received SSI, $780 a month. I was making $1200 a week working..

I tried to go back to a job at least 8 times, I couldnt. My HS disease, and prostrate plus a bad back. Stopped me from working every time. I pray to God someone sees what ssi is doing. I want my disability, I earned it. They made time run out on me. They done my family and I very wrong. I wish every night and everyday. They couldnt do this to folks. It has really hurt us. Now my wife has Copd, has had open heart surgery. She has been denied 3 times. She's on oxygen. It makes me furious. They do whatever they want. The rich hurting the sick and the poor. **. Thank You!

Original review: April 24, 2020

The Millennial-sounding man who answered my phone call was rude, sarcastic and totally useless when I asked a question regarding how to have my Earnings Record corrected. I wish I could give 0 stars for this review.

Original review: April 21, 2020

My spouse comes from a damage past. She wanted me to help her share her anger. She is also intersex and extremely unchecked mentally. She has been baked acted few times, shot herself and even put many people in the hospital. She has been to many doctors for treatment throughout her life. She has been turn down 4 times for disability. She sees things and hears the craziness things I believe from life experiences. But she isn't all there and seems to have a hard time understanding how things work.

Now here is the other part. She has a broke back. 4 herniated discs in back and 2 in neck. She was in a car crash. Disability said in the hearing let's pretend her back isn't broke and her mental state is able to process normal information (whatever that meant). Then she can work the ALJ said. I'm truthfully at my end with this. It's hard to help her and we are lost. The government is not here for the people. So whoever reads this just know you're not alone. This is the world we live in. People do not care for each other. You have to forget the government and take life in your own hands.

Social Security Administration Company Information