2. Miscellaneous

3.4/5 (327 ratings)

About Social Security Administration

Social Security Administration Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Social Security Administration?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Social Security Administration?

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

I called this place so many time because it is where I drop off my document for a name correction. I called and verify the right document. Send it in and got a mail from them saying that they got the document and will verify it. And will take up to 4 weeks. It's been a month and a half and still nothing so I called and the man I was talking to his name is Carl or Carlos said the only document he sees is the one from April. I had to send in my document twice because they made a mistake the first time. For real...Carl or Carlos said he will call me back the next day and he will look for my file but nope never did.

I called again and I know for sure same old Carl or Carlos was the person again. Same voice people I know. He asked me the same questions. I ask me if I send in the right document and I said I did and I also verify with someone in the office by phone. Than he told me he works at the Madera office and he doesn't know. I ask if him is there someone there or a supervisor I can talk to and then he hang up. Super unprofessional and I hope he get fired! I called again and the machine said the all representive are busy at this time and to call again later. I cannot afford to keep having to send in my documents again and agin because of their laziness and bad workers. Those are important documents not copies but original and I need them!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

I've been on social security for a few years now and haven't had a problem until I was speaking till one of the representatives I have a change of address which is in Rancho now. So I called the Ontario branch and he asked for my information which I had to given to him place of birth and everything else needed. He said my information was incorrect. May I remind you this is the same information I have always used because it is my information so I know where I've been born at. I know my social security number. I know my mother's name and every other information that is needed and no one else has had a problem with it but this one specific representative he was rude and continue to be rude over the phone and kept calling me a liar.

I asked to speak for his supervisor and he just kept avoiding what I was asking for and just continue to say, "Go ask your family" and may I remind you I had no problem with this before. So I asked again, "May I speak to your supervisor so I could talk to someone who is more professional and have this little conflict resolved." He just gave me a really bad attitude and repeated, "Go ask your family" and then hung up on me.

I have no idea what the Ontario Branch does and dealing with their customers or how they treat their customers behind their supervisors' backs but this is very uncalled for so I would like to speak to somebody that is a higher authority than a representative or a supervisor to find out what it is that's going on because that type of customer service this should not be happening at all and that type of Representatives should be fired immediately. And if there is someone that is a lot higher than those two types of qualifications then please email me so things could get figured out.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 30, 2021

Although I am collecting social security I am still working. In 2019 I made over the amount of money I was allowed to make and had to pay them back $2800. I set up a payment plan with them paying $87/mo, but in May 2021, I decided to just pay off the balance of $1700. This is now August, and this is the first month that the $87 has not come out of my benefit. As of right now Social Security owes me $261 since they continued taking the money from me in spite of the fact that I had paid it off. What will happen to the money??? I have spoken to four different representatives and all four have given me a different answer, but none of them could give me a definite answer. I have no choice but to believe that either the money is gone or perhaps, it will go to the illegals.

Original review: July 12, 2021

I was re-declared disabled on the 5th of May, 2021 after waiting over a year, going through a redetermination process. I never should have even been cut off; I never STOPPED being disabled. Anyway, I still haven't even received an award letter almost 3 MONTHS after being re-declared. I keep calling and asking to speak to supervisors... I get passed from voice-mail to voice-mail and no one returns my calls. I have called every number I have been given, to no avail. Everybody points the finger to someone else.

Meanwhile... I'm diabetic. Blood sugar levels in the high 500s. Dr giving me SAMPLES from her office to try to lower my blood sugar, because I can't afford my medicine and the Ssa office is dragging their feet on my disability benefits. I'm going to die waiting for them to get my check and insurance straightened out. I even sent correspondence to VP Kamala Harris and President Joe Biden. Haven't even gotten one of the fake form letters they usually send people in response. Worked ALL MY LIFE to be treated like this. This country has gone all the way to hell. Thanks for NOTHING, SSA. BY THE TIME YOU GET ME SOME HELP, THE ONLY THING YOU'LL HAVE TO APPROVE ARE MY DEATH BENEFITS.

Original review: June 8, 2021

Social Security decided after my dad died that they didn't think he qualifies for it. After he passed away my mother was getting $166 from them. Now they demand it goes back to them. Sent a letter to my dad (who is dead) demanding money. When I called them to sort it out after 30 minutes on hold they hung up on me.

Original review: May 21, 2021

Called and after listening to several options and them not accepting that I requested to speak with customer representative. I was transferred to representative and line went silent. It did not hang up and no one answered. Just silence. This also happened at local branches which is why I tried to contact main office. Very frustrating to say the least. From experience I decided to set up account online. It would not accept info for setup which I know to be true. So again more frustration. I need assistance or I would not have tried so many avenues. Still will have to contact them which stresses me and totally upsets me to no end! Extremely disappointed!

Original review: March 16, 2021

This review is for the telephonic customer service for the Social Security Administration (number listed and the one I dialed was 1-800-772-1213). It appears that they may be working from home, thus, the extreme wait time. On March 15, 2021 at about 12:15PM, I called the above number to get some additional information on a replacement social security card I made on the latter part of February of 2021. They show a 7-10 day period before you receive your replacement. Well, it's been almost three weeks and guess what, no replacement card in my possession!

Now here's where things could really get ugly. I have a commercial driver's license that I was not able to renew as a result of not having my social security card in my possession. That's a long story in itself, but since we're already here, here's the story... Presently in California, when you go in for your five year in person renewal, they force you to convert over to the REALID, whether you want to or not. I have a valid passport and had no need for this intrusive REALID, but they require you to upgrade to it to renew your commercial license. It seems unfair to have to go this route to simply renew your commercial license. So, at this moment, I am technically unlicensed.

I have been driving since 17 and now I'm 56. In all these decades of driving, I've never been unlicensed. And here I am, unable to renew my driver's license. To make it clear, in order to get the state's REALID, they require your social security card and numerous other personal documents to prove who you are and where you live. The thought crosses my mind of driving with no license and having some enforcement taken upon me. This is scary. I have never been arrested and haven't had a ticket in over 30 years. You tell me if this is fair or makes any sense.

Anyway, with no social security card in my hands, I called the above number which takes you to the social security administration pre-recorded line with voice prompt. They tell you what the wait is, and on my call, it was an hour and 15 minutes. There is ZERO options to simply talk to an operator to possibly avoid the wait.

I wait my turn, and by now it's an hour and 10 minutes. A social security service agent (a female in her 40's, based on my best guess), is hardly willing to help and is apparently pre-occupied with the TV or something else. I explain my situation and right in the middle of explaining, she is trying to talk over me. She's not listening and I am unable to completely explain the potential dangerous situation I'm in. Amidst all of this, she tells me to hang on and doesn't come back on the line to finish the call.

While I'm waiting for her to come back, she hangs up on me. Let's see, I've been on hold for over an hour, and I get this lukewarm individual that's apparently watching TV or doing whatever that's obviously not job-related. Whatever she's doing, she's not helping me get my social security card so I can renew my drivers license.

I call back at the same toll free number, where I'm on hold for about 30 minutes, As soon as someone picks up the call, the phone immediately goes dead. So this sounds like this is a childish way for social security administration workers to avoid doing their job by hanging up on people who have been waiting on hold for long periods of time. What a shame is my initial thoughts. I'm thinking of the poor seniors or others who might need more urgent help or who might be in need of their services for basic needs like food. Is this what they they'd need to go through?

Anyway, I did call back and the wait was over an hour again. I looked online and submitted a service complaint. I submitted the below complaint along with my cell phone number and email. I stated that I would like to speak to a supervisor. I sent the email at approximately 3;30 PM. I will update this review if I receive a response about my social security card or the conduct of the social security worker who refused to help me.

Here is a copy and paste job of the complaint I forwarded: "Hello, I called social security to inquire about a social security replacement card. I made the call at approximately 12:25 PM to 1-800-772-1213 from my cell phone number **. I was on hold for an hour and 10 minutes. When the person answered (sounded like a female in her 40's), she was very unresponsive, and showed very little enthusiasm, There were very long uncomfortable pauses where she chose to stop talking. And while I was trying to explain my situation, she kept interrupting me before I had finished which was totally disrespectful. This worker's behavior showed she was apparently pre-occupied with some other issue.

What is certain is that my issue was NOT resolved and the government employee did a poor job on this particular call. My issue (and the purpose of the call) was I applied for a replacement social security card and it's been almost three weeks with no response and no card. I have no idea if my replacement card request was submitted to the social security administration.

Back to the worker who handled my call, I got no answer to my concern, and for unknown reason, the worker abruptly told me to hold on. During this time, she didn't state what the reason was to hold on (such as I have another call, or some other issue). She did not return or offer any help to my situation. After trying to encourage her to provide some help, the phone suddenly went dead. This was after being on the phone (at this point) for over an hour and 15 minutes. I have no doubt that the employee intentionally hung up on me. I would like for a supervisor to look into this and get in touch with me. I would also like to see this discourteous employee reprimanded. This is no way to treat people who are relying on these same employees for help. Thank You."

Original review: Jan. 25, 2021

I had previously sent in app to get a new s.s. card so I could get new i.d. After not receiving a response I called and was told to send my birth certificate in and proof of address. When I called about it I was told that it was sent back to me already. After about at least 4 more calls in which I was told something different every time. I never received my certificate back so I called again I I was hung up on by one lady just because I told her it doesn't take two weeks to get regular mail in the same city.

So I had to call back where I encountered a lady by the name of Mrs ** who wouldn't even let me explain what was going on and who was also very rude to me and cut me off every time I tried to talk. I went through all of this just to find out that I had been lied to about my birth certificate being sent back to me. I was then asked for my address which I had provided with two other documents that I had mailed in with my certificate and I also had provided it 3 other times. My wife was with me the last two times and witnessed how rude they were because I had them in speaker. Something needs to be done about these rude workers. They are working from home and I understand that. But the job consist of some kinda customer service and respect for ppl. I still haven't got my certificate back yet. It taken almost two months to get something I could have gotten the same day. This is not acceptable!!!!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

I called SSA to resolve the non-receipt of my first social security check but didn't have some information readily available. After waiting online for 25 minutes, Tessa G stated that she would disconnect me if I didn't have the information in another minute. My point is that my time is important also. I have called SSA, no less than 6 times in three days and waited no less than 20 minutes on each call. Prior to Tessa, everyone was patient and supportive. I don't know if it because I am ** or if she treats all clients with this attitude but regardless it's not the expectation or experience I've had with SSA this week. I disconnected the call because I didn't need any added frustration. SSA should collect feedback from clients to use in their annual staff reviews and provide training or termination if necessary.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

I moved to the Reno area. The first time I attempted to send a letter to this office they completely ignored it. I called them and it auto holder me do I got to listen to a tv show of a worker from home. Then I kept writing letters and managed to get my disability file moved but they set up a fraudulent date for my move! Two months in advance were listed as my having lived there! Then they sent me a poorly designed letter setting up to get info from me but never called, after no explanation of what info they wanted at all? I am asking for a federal level advocate or management of my case!

Social Security Administration Company Information