Social Security Administration

• 3%
  • 5%
  • 64%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Social Security Administration?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Social Security Administration?

Reviewed March 18, 2024

I called the social security office and got the message that my phone wait time is one hour 20 minutes. Can't believe what I heard! I gave up on contacting the office. I can not believe that this is what the agent does to people.

Reviewed Feb. 28, 2024

With my new experiences with the Social Security Department, make sure you don't plan a retirement date with your employer until you receive a benefits letter unless you're planning on using your retirement savings to pay for your existence or you have no issues with cash. This government agency is supposed to take care of a highly important part of a person's life. During a previous call (one of many), I received information in error. The agent told me to delete my login.gov account that I to create because my standard account no longer worked. He said he would reset my standard SSI account, and could access the standard in 24 hours. This was not correct. He also told me of my payment date, today I was told this was incorrect.

I created a new login.gov account today. The only way to finish the account is to wait 2-3 more weeks for an activation code to be mailed. The SS referenced 2-4 week review period, don't count on this. Waiting to talk to someone (1 hour or way more), you'll find out they are 1 month behind. And SSI won't do anything to help until 60 days have passed, or 8 weeks. I'm looking at 12 weeks or more before I receive benefits. I already had to pull retirement savings to pay the mortgage for March. And my medical/dental insurance runs out in 2 days.

I know SS has a lot to do. But this is one government entity that needs to be held accountable for estimates and lies that mislead the customers they are suppose to serve. In my 40+ years of customer service, if I handled my customers in the way I am being handled, I would have been disciplined or fired. After talking to many people, It is now difficult for me to know if what I was told is correct, a guess, or a lie. Not a good feeling to have about something that is highly important to me and obviously to many others.

Reviewed Feb. 16, 2024

I waited for over an hour for someone to pick up the phone. Foreign accent was difficult to understand. All I wanted was to report a change of address. The representative was very rude to me, and seemed to enjoy the power of intimidating me. It was a very negative experience.

Reviewed Feb. 12, 2024

Waiting over one hour on the phone. Why don't they have an automatic callback system? When I look up who is the head of social security, it is someone who supposedly has technological expertise. I cannot make or receive calls because I am holding, holding, holding.

Reviewed Feb. 9, 2024

I have been trying to get my Social Security benefits due to me related to my husband’s death for over 7 months. Three letters with appropriate forms. Two trips to SSA in my area. I give up! It’s not worth my sanity.

Reviewed Feb. 5, 2024

Received a letter in the mail to call and update my direct deposit information which I thought SSA and SSI work together. Unfortunately they don't. I called last Tuesday, was on hold for over and hour. I finally reached a representative. I gave her all of my new information. I decided to call this morning for a follow up and this man told me she didn't update anything. Beware. It's best to go in the office because you have people pretending to do the job. I'm highly upset. I'll never update anything over the phone again. I'll just make a trip to the office to ensure my business is taken care of. Customer service isn't the same anymore. Some people just don't care because it's not hurting them.

Reviewed Jan. 19, 2024

Social Security had cut off my benefits and I don't have employment. It has been four months since they sent me a payment. It seems like I am being targeted for no reason. I am a older single female. I need my money to help pay my bills.

Reviewed Oct. 23, 2023

I'm not even really seeing any point in writing this review, it's not like anything is going to happen positive for us. I'm a full-time single father of my 13-year-old son whose 24-7 special needs.. We live with no electricity, no running water, no help, and the young new guy examiner (Whom is very nice), but apparently according to him, it's going to take a month to a year to go over just the medical records!! We've already been waiting almost 2 years for Social Security that he was already on! Then I had spoke with the people at the Missoula branch, and they told me that Helena is experiencing very poor management at this time.. WTF!!, with lots of turnover and it's not a good working environment at this time.. So, we have to sit and wait and suffer in poverty while people get their crap together!! Sooo helpful.

Reviewed Sept. 8, 2023

It took me two years for Stage 5 Parkinson's Disease. I truly worked hard all my life. During the initial sign up for my disability. I was told. I would get SSDI. After the long hard two year waiting period. My disability attorney said, they would try to get me both SSI and SSDI, because of the financial hardship, I endure waiting two years. I am thinking okay. I had my PERC interview. Now, you have to do a PERC interview. I did that. I was told I would get 2 years back pay. I was like okay. That sounds great. The PERC interviewer asked me questions. I answered them. He said. You will get this amount for SSDI. I replied okay. I will calculate your SSI back pay. I was like okay. He was like. Would you like a Direct Express Card? I politely said please. They sent me that. My SSI back pay came first. I was like I am still supposed to get my SSDI back pay. I called today. They said I was denied my SSDI back pay. I am like what do you mean denied I worked all my life.

Reviewed Aug. 10, 2023

I called the SSA because my credit alert on my credit card app stated they found my SSN on the dark web. The idiot that answered the phone in no small words told me, "Too bad, we don't handle that and there is nothing my country and the SSA can OR will do to help!" He tells me I have to monitor my SSN and then deal with the fallout if someone applies for anything with it!!!! I can't believe this is what this country thinks of its citizens. This is the biggest, most dismal fail.

Reviewed July 31, 2023

My 74 year old mother and I have been on hold for over an hour and a half trying to speak with anyone and guess what? We are still on hold. This is absolutely absurd. I wish I could give less than one star. We are paying these people to do a job they obviously aren't doing.

Reviewed July 31, 2023

I filed a claim 16 months ago, I called to ask 1 question, that question was How much longer is it going to take to render a decision on my claim? The people at the Madison MS SSA is very unprofessional, they'll transfer you to different extensions and won't return a call, it's useless reporting the claim agent to the Supervisor, the Supervisor did the exact same thing, it's like a hamster on a wheel, you are getting absolutely nowhere, however they didn't have a problem deducting money out of my account for the last 40 consecutive years, and once my health failed, they play the waiting game, it's like they're waiting on you to die.

Verified purchase

Reviewed July 30, 2023

My son was born with autism. He is 16, people don’t understand my life and his life, and what we go through with Autism. Many times I said I can’t do this, but as his mom that’s not an option, now to add on they cut his check off, to $0. School starts VERY soon. He needs a haircut, school supplies, clothes, shoes, socks, a backpack. I can’t buy one thing. Now I have to home school him because I have not even a $1 to buy those things. I’m trying to be strong and I keep talking to God, that’s all I can do. Social Security Administration should be ashamed of themselves!!!

Reviewed June 2, 2023

My experience was frustrating because did not report discrepancy till after finished - the next day. Then investigation for no reason. I put in information given to me by Social Security department. Best to go to office not online. Now I have to wait.

Reviewed April 19, 2023

Ms. ** made me feel like our government give out bonuses for denying benefit. We are a military family that our government did not protect from contaminated water. Social Security employees treated me like my life did not matter.. Legally blind, blood work cancer tumor, diabetes, degenerative spine disease, stage 3 kidney failure, immune system, high blood pressure. It call the forever chemical. I'm seeing specialist. She sent me to several doctors even a doctor who doesn't believe in medication all did a eye exam.. She even lied. My family they're 5 RN. This employees had me wanting to just give up. I don't understand I've never did any to her. But she was out to hurt me and she did. Because how much does a person have to take be someone has some compassion.

I did ask for this.. I don't like feeling useless.. We are military proud Thru and Thru.. The president of the United States take care of your military.. Obama.. Biden.. The PATH act is a joke if you're not enforcing it. The CDC.. knows the damage the chemical does to the organ and the brain. You die. This has to stop. If I did drugs or drank I could get my benefit.. Davenport Iowa Social Security Administration don't care about us.

Reviewed April 19, 2023

When you call the Top Leadership office of the SSA not only will you Not get any help but the people who answer the phone are MEAN. Do not waste your life. Apparently the ONLY possible way you MIGHT get help is to go to a local office and HOPE someone there gives a crap about helping resolve your matter. Don't count on that either.

Reviewed April 19, 2023

When a law judge and court awards disability, a clerk with social security with no law degree can end it. This is totally irresponsible and damaging many people that are seniors and disabled. This is our money paid into a system that is a legal promise. This organization needs new good leadership that will straighten it out. They are hurting people physically, mentally and need to be held accountable. Contact your congressman and don't stay quiet. Voice ki day and respectfully but shout it.

Reviewed Feb. 15, 2023

What in the heck can anyone do with 255.00$? That won't even pay for a cremation. After paying in to SS for 37 years at 100 a week think you could get at least half of your money when you die.. Ripoff artists and no one says a word

Reviewed Feb. 11, 2023

This month, Feb 2023 I changed from survivor benefits to my own benefits due to waiting to let them build value and now at age 68 and still working part time. What a hassle. Multiple phone calls demanding I can only do this with a phone interview 3 weeks out at which time they they entered the wrong bank account number which I gave in interview which has been the same for 23 years. Time to talk to anyone is over an hour and on the 9th 2 hours. This is so unacceptable. If these people worked in the real world they would be fired. When I called I was hung up on 4 times so had to redial calls.

Our local office is still closed due to Covid, I am an RN for 33 years and worked the front line of Covid. What are they hiding from? Get back in the real world like nurses still are. But I finally did get benefits switched after also being asked what my deceased exhusband's SS number. What does that have to do after excessive screening and they screwing up my bank account??? I didn’t provide as at work and would have to pull old tax records. I worked hard to earn this money. It is not the government's money!!!

Reviewed Jan. 15, 2023

After submitting all necessary paperwork, documents, and being evaluated by SSA doctors, being poked, prodded, tested, etc… These so-called doctors are in a place to either say one is disabled or not. Now, none of the doctors know one iota about a person but they are supposed to be specialists and by one visit they know everything about the individual and thus make a decision based on a piece of paper(s) from other doctors that no longer treat a person. Real doctors treat patients with 75 percent of what the patient tells them and the other 25 percent is based on the physician's book knowledge. The Supreme Court states the following: Negligence per se (1996) 4 SCC 322, the Supreme Court held that a person who does not have knowledge of a particular system of medicine but practices in that system is a quack. Where a person is guilty of negligence per se, no further proof is needed.

So the real negligence is the people they pay to create a decision based on one meeting. Where is the justice? Then you have the ALJ that if one does not address them as Your Honor they don't like it? Well, they are Sir or Ma’am to me. The title does not make the person. So the real gang members and criminals are sitting in the offices. Individuals should not have to suffer at the hand of any government, private, or secular entity.

Reviewed Jan. 15, 2023

Our bank information for deposits was changed. It's no surprise our retirement check was kicked back to SS. What is surprising is the online mountains one must climb to simply change a routing and account number. We do online transactions routinely with all types of vendors all over the universe. But Social Security is about the worst yet. Very sad. We do recall the government royally screwed up the online Affordable Health Act a few years ago. It's not only sad but pathetic Washington cannot get it right.

Reviewed Dec. 13, 2022

It is not really known since when Social Security persecutes people... fundamentally if they are ** or ** or both... if it was before the existence of the SSA as such... when it belonged to its former matrix, better known as Welfare... Or maybe it was already bad and it has gotten worse since its old trumpeter director... Andrew **. (Grandson of the very famous ex-president delinquent Trump... "trumpeter" or something like that). The certain fact is that the SSA has become a center for thieves or who act as such... since they do not show their true face and move behind the scenes to do their tricks.

Who writes Manuel ** has been and is a current victim of a system that we could call like other organizations in this country "a well-organized disorganization"... I have been the victim of a robbery of my retirement money plus theft of SSI benefits for over a year and a half. The SSA has now dedicated itself to removing the money from my ephemeral retirement up to $542… and I have nothing else… after taking away my SSI benefits. The SSA Administration does not give answers to any claim I have made.

I went to the SSA office in Macon. They denied my claim still unknown why. They promised they would send me an “appeal letter” which never came. I went after the famous Atlanta Court of Appeals for justice and nothing. I went there hoping that a violation of the legal system of this country where the judge was blatantly complicit in a conflict of interest would be resolved fairly. Judge Kim ** (Administrative Law Judge) is part of the SSA (which is who pays his check) and is a judge at the same time in the conflicts against the SSA... No one answers anything... No one knows anything. Most likely they are waiting for me to die so they can keep my money. I have knocked on all the doors and no one. Not even the SSA shows its face. They act like thieves that move in the dark.

Reviewed Dec. 2, 2022

I was diagnosed with cancer and a broken back in 2019. Was to be out of work 1-2 years. My daughter is disabled and fearful of my passing. She went to work to help with medical. However, a lady stopped her payments, was very rude and disrespectful. I've been in bed 85% of the time. The whole pandemic. They stopped my daughter's checks. No discussion. Nothing. My daughter being disabled struggled working but was trying only to save my life. After 18 she was to begin receiving my benefits and be able to work part time. But this office is so rude, lazy and disrespectful: they resent people with disabilities and resent working at all during the pandemic.

Well my daughter forced to work now because they stopped her checks. Tore her ACL and her knee and hasn't been able to walk well since October 2021 and goes to therapy 8 hrs a day. Her checks restarted early this year because they screwed up to begin with.... I thought it was being fixed as a supervisor called and said it was. Lol no review, no Drs, no letters. Nothing and they now stopped her checks again. The main line I've spoken to several times said the local office screwed up, they've left messages everything for a call back and to restart my daughter's checks. Nothing. No call back. No fixing. Nothing. These people play God because they are immune from being sued. Well after 3.5 years and more damages to my health because of delays from them I finally will begin getting my own disability; but now my disabilities are permanent vs 1-2 years recovery.

Now because they stopped my daughter's and 6 months waiting on my 1st check. We are facing homelessness due to this office blatant negligence and disregard to people and their disabilities. This office hurts people more than it helps them. In my opinion it's time that SSI is held accountable just like law enforcement is now. They were immune just the same and because of that officers tarnished the badge and created a bad name over all ruining the reputation of the good ones. The same is happening in these SSI offices. They need to be able to be sued, to be removed from office and audited based on behavior. We need a check system, customer feedback, a separate monitor and PR department or internal affairs.

TOO MANY **, are suffering the consequences for these people's actions and delays, people are getting worse health wise, losing homes, cars and medical treatment due to their delays and gross negligence! I'm on the phone for the 8th time time month now as I'm writing this and they said on the national line there's nothing they can do. It's the local office's responsibility. I've got a documented timeline of my calls but they say that they can only see the most recent call and nothing before that. I'm wondering if someone is deleting information in order to cover their mistakes. They are above the law and immune to legal repercussions.

I'm requesting to speak to a supervisor of the national line now as I write this. They called local office and allegedly someone will call me today. Let's see, fingers crossed!!! America needs to stand up to this nightmare people are facing, SSI needs reforms, I pray everyone begins seeing this and starts writing their congressional and legislative representatives! Fight for your rights, your taxpaying rights that you earned....

Reviewed Nov. 4, 2022

Trying to get my LEGAL son's copy of social security card. This office has me running in circles. My son has a ss number and just needs his permit. Why are you giving me a hard time! Why do you make it SO easy for ILLEGAL citizens. You people are backwards.

Reviewed Nov. 3, 2022

Calling the main number entails at least an hour wait time, and be prepared to get disconnected when you finally get through. I have made three attempts to report the death of my husband, waiting on hold over an hour each time. Each time, the same scenario. They ask you 20 questions, then put you on hold and the call drops. The website is no better. Been trying for weeks to sign in but the site freezes up immediately. This is so unacceptable, and so frustrating. And the folks working there could care less. They ask you for a phone number in case of being disconnected but all three times, no one made an attempt to call me back.

Reviewed Oct. 15, 2022

I live in another country, so I filed my application through the Niagara Falls office. They are professional, courteous and CAN BE REACHED BY PHONE. This is a much better experience than the one I had at the Maryland office, where they lost my birth certificate (sent with tracked mail) and then claimed they never got it and ALSO never told me that the application wasn't complete. Mr. ** at the Niagara Falls office was sympathetic, professional, and actually called me when the replacement birth certificate arrived at their office to tell me that the stalled account would be activated, albeit late. Use regional offices whenever possible, NOT the national one. You will have better results. I have the highest praise for the staff in the Niagara Falls office.

Reviewed Oct. 6, 2022

The Social Security field offices commit document abuse. They are refusing to accept my US passport as proof of identity. Simple as that. They refuse to get my name right as based on my current US passport.

Reviewed July 5, 2022

Can’t service the public due to broken system. You can forget making a phone call because you will never get a human, you will be thrown into the endless automated loop. Used the online option, and after filling everything out was told the online system was not working and that my information was wrong, they failed to identify what specifically was wrong, turns out I put my middle name in so they kicked the whole thing out. We are being made to do the work the employees were hired to do. Why are we paying them? This agency is broken, full of excuses, outdated and sluggish. Everyone should be fired! If you have the documents and information necessary to apply for services, get a card, replace a card or anything else, It should be fast, effective and efficient. This is the 21st century.

Reviewed April 27, 2022

I was working in the USA between the years of 1997 to 2001 paying all my taxes, pension and medicare during that time. My surprise was that since I haven't completed 10 years working in the USA, my pension or aid cannot be granted and all the money I pay goes to the USA. USA do not return the money paid for the pension or medicare. Now my question is how much is the total number of workers who are in my situation and how much are the millions of dollars that the USA pockets. The other surprise is that the agreement that supposedly has with Canada does not influence anything so that the pension is calculated based on the existing agreement. In other words, it's all political straw. If you read this review take your precautions because none of the money paid by you will be returned if you work legally in the USA.

Reviewed April 20, 2022

I went there for a replacement card. The lines were long, however once being called for service you get in & out in a responding time frame. Office staff are very professional, courteous. Security is onsite & very alert & attentive, also helpful. The parking area was clean of debris. The inside was sanitized with wipes & sanitizer on every station. The ladies restroom was clean and stocked.

Social Security Administration Company Information