4.0/5 (691 ratings)

About Sallie Mae

Sallie Mae is a private student loan company that lends to full-time, part-time and less than half-time students. It approves 95% of loans when the student signs up with a cosigner. Its loans can be used for all school-related purchases, including classes, books and housing. Sallie Mae offers the Multi-Year Advantage program, in which students can reapply for a loan easily year after year.

Pros

• High rate of approved loans
  • $0 origination
  • Multi-Year Advantage offering

Cons

• Unclear credit requirements
  • Hard credit check

Bottom Line

Sallie Mae is a national student loan lender with multiple programs. While its application requires a hard credit check, it has online resources and a 95% approval rating for applicants with cosigners.

Sallie Mae Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sallie Mae?

Original review: Sept. 26, 2019

I took out a SM loan to go abroad for a Master's Degree in 2017-2018. Due to severe medical reasons, I was unable to work for 12 months after graduating. My loan is now (understandably) in default, however, my frustration stems from the fact that SM is completely unwilling to work with me. I cannot afford their "lump sum" payment option to lower my monthly payments to zero percent interest. I don't comprehend how these lower payments is an option after paying a HUGE amount, yet I cannot get them to agree to me paying more per month without the thousands required in the lump sum. They are acting as though their hands are tied and that there is no other possibility for me. Therefore, despite trying to get something worked out now that I have a job, they are refusing to help me at all.

I am incredibly worried about debt collection, litigation and wage garnishments from paychecks that aren't at all big to begin with. After reading the reviews included here, I don't see how a company can completely ruin peoples' lives like this. I truly don't know what I am going to do and it really has me sick to my stomach at this point.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

Auto debit will stop paying after a few months without notice to you and incur late fees. If you don't get a fixed interest loan, expect your interest to skyrocket. I went from 6% to 11.75% in 4 years. If you make a payment, expect harassing phone calls to yourself, your employer and your cosigner within 2-3 days. A Sallie Mae rep processed a payment of mine incorrectly resulting in a late fee and literally dozens of harassing phone calls before I could figure out what the issue was and resolve it with the incompetent customer service. They do not offer income-based repayment. They only offer forbearance which compounds interest and makes you pay out more in the end. This is what I get for blindly following my parents' advice with loans and not knowing what I was doing as an 18 year old fresh out of college. Don't make the same mistakes as me.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

This company is awful. Good luck getting answers from their customer service reps. They give you the runaround and then rudely ask if they can help you with anything else... You didn’t even help me yet! They charge ridiculous interest rates and make it impossible to refinance. They will kill your livelihood.

Original review: July 22, 2019

Advice for those in the early stages of getting Sallie Mae: I took 2 loans with them to pay college. One being 6100 with a 11% interest rate and other $6500 with a 10% interest rate. So $12,600 total.. Unlike most people in this forum, I chose to pay interest while still in school. Most people wait for it to accumulate and pay both interest and principal after graduation. They usually get a high monthly fee (I've heard 700-900+) For 4 years in school, I paid $107/month for both loans which is $5,136 total until graduation. I still owe the principal, $12,600.

I know that choosing to pay interest in school vs outside school, is still the same, but I don't have to be attacked with high monthly fees. After grace period is over, I will be paying $200 total for both loans since I have been paying interest. If you will be hard on cash after graduation, please pay interest asap. Don't wait for it to accumulate. Take a part time job, internship or whatever to pay these interests while still in school! Hell even flip items on Facebook market like I did if you have a tough major (be careful with this though). I'm 23 now and I quickly realized the hole I dug myself in, so I decided to move with my parents for 1-2 years and payoff my loans (I have federal loans too). My parents told me that I can stay with them and pay no rent or groceries... if I put most of my paycheck into paying these loans. So, before my grace period is over I pay Sallie Mae $1,600 a month.

Since I don't owe much in interest, 98% of this goes into the principal. I should be done with one loan by the time the grace period starts and will repeat for the other loan. If I did not pay interest while still in college, I would have a hard time paying these loans. I would have to pay interest first (which would still be accumulating), then principal loan. For most people having high monthly payments is impossible especially if kids are involved, rent or low income job. Save yourself from this high payments by paying interest asap. Overall this is a scum company and it deserves to be shut down. I wish I did not take a loan with them.

Original review: July 17, 2019

Simply don't sign a deal with the devil. When you sign, everything looks bright and cherry as you're working on the education of your dreams. You may pay nothing at all or something little while you're in school but it doesn't matter because all is well and you're having a great experience. Then you graduate...and receive a 6 months grace period to find yourself a decent paying job. If you're blessed, you find one but you're living paycheck to paycheck especially after those 6 month. Minimum payment may be $900 a month (like mine especially if you were a stupid high school kid like me thinking you have to go out of state and one of the "better schools". Which is a lie from hell, they're all the same).

Anyways you may be paying for a while, but it won't be easy. Then suddenly life happens and you can't pay what Sallie is asking. You call and they will tell you that your only option is their forbearance or "good faith" whatever they dress it up as. Which you can enter 3 months at a time ($50 a month) and pay that "good faith payment". I am entering my 9 more months of that because they will not do anything else. And while you are in that period, your total balance keeps going higher. I have three loans with them and each loan has a 12% interest rate. So here I am, living in a van, because I signed a deal with the wrong hand.

Original review: July 2, 2019

My son completed an application for his Junior and Senior year of college. When completing the application it was asked the amount we would be borrowing over the next 2 years and my son was approved for that amount. The University received 2 disbursements for fall and Spring Junior Semesters. When we were ready to make the next disbursement for his Fall Senior year we were told that since the University did not disburse the amount after Spring Junior year the loan was closed.

After speaking with 5 different Sallie Mae representatives, who I will add all have the same scripted response; we were told that an application would need to be completed again. After completing the application the interest rate doubled from the original application. Very interesting that they make you complete an application for the total amount you will need for undergraduate education however you basically are just completing the application for 1 year. Beware as your interest rate will be nice and low for that first year but Sallie Mae will require you after that year to complete another application with they will double that interest rate for the next disbursement. After many frustrating calls to them to find out the reason why the interest rate doubled their response was “I can understand your frustration but the interest rate has doubled for the additional loan”!!!

Original review: June 28, 2019

They rejected my $50 forbearance good faith payment (on two different cards) after a rep incorrectly entered the zip code associated with my card into their system a week before. Today, they denied my request for forbearance because the payment was rejected and told me my balance of $350 was due immediately. I reminded them that the error was on their end and insisted I wouldn’t be able to make the payment this month or next month due to some unexpected emergencies. Rep speaks to his supervisor, comes back and tells me they can give me forbearance for this month but next month my account balance will be $350. Forty minutes, two reps, and one supervisor later, my good faith payment was processed. All of that for an error one of your employees made. Amazing.

Original review: June 13, 2019

My family and I found out that we would not have enough to pay for my college tuition so we were referred to Sallie Mae. Since then, it has been the worst decision of my life. After graduation I was expected to pay $1,000 a month which has now risen to $1,700 a MONTH due to interest. I work in an entry-level position in Marketing and my monthly payments are absolutely ridiculous. I have tried to contact Sallie Mae to see if they can lower my payments, but every time I call I am greeted with a nasty Sallie Mae representative or there is nothing they can do. They do not care about anyone except for the money that they make off of people who cannot pay their student loans right away. Sallie Mae is a terrible company and the student debt crisis needs to be addressed. Colleges are more of a big business rather than an educational system and thrive off of families who cannot pay their student loans.

Original review: June 2, 2019

I deposited money into this bank a couple months ago. They froze the account due to "suspicion of fraud". These criminals/fraudsters stole my money and they are the ones accusing me of being a fraudster. Ironic to say the least! To this date I have not been able to recover the money that is in my account(s). I would not recommend this bank to my worst enemy.

Original review: May 29, 2019

Hello, I was tricked into a parent plus loan with SM. After my daughter finished school the loan was immediately due. My daughter did not begin payments and rather than try to get her to pay so that she could consolidate this loan along with her others they decided to just come after me for the payments. I have been trying to let my daughter assume the debt but SM will not now let her assume the debt which is hurting my credit. This from a company that was bailed out by Obama in 2008! They should be punished for mishandling funds NOT helped, they never help me try to reconcile the loan. I would like to just settle the loan but they want the entire loan amount. They did not have to pay their entire loan amount from this government that used our money to bail them out.

Original review: May 21, 2019

All my loans are paid in full but my children are still paying. The student loan and college tuition situation is a criminal crisis. Naive students and parents are tricked into loans that will take years to pay for an “education” that is more socialist Marxist brain washing than a legitimate learning experience that will lead to a fulfilling and sustaining career. There should be more controls on the use of loan money. It shouldn’t be used for frivolous reasons. There should be counseling on the consequences of borrowing and the responsibility of borrowing. Colleges are getting wealthy and spending tons of money on frivolous research and activities while soaking students for huge tuitions for a product they promise and do not deliver.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I received a denial letter from Sallie Mae for a student loan I never applied for. The option of Parent Loans were on my college profile so I reviewed the info but I didn't apply for them. No money was exchanged but this will affect my credit score which is already low enough. Also I am clearly not the parent.

Original review: May 12, 2019

Dissatisfied would be the understatement of the century to describe my experience with these monsters! My grace period ended on April 24, so my first payments were due on that date. For now, I am working a job that only pays $10.50 an hour and the amount I am expected to pay back every month is way too high for me to afford.

I tried talking to them to no avail to see if they offer income-based repayment or could at least lower my monthly payments. I was told that the only option they have for me is the hardship forbearance which costs $150 per loan to put into place. I can't even afford that (I have 6 loans with this company)! What kind of student loan lender does not offer income-based repayments?! This is absolutely ridiculous! To anyone who needs to take out student loans for college, please do not, I repeat, do NOT use Sallie Mae. They won't work with you. They don't care about their customers at all. All they care about is money, money, and more money!

Original review: May 12, 2019

We were directed to Sallie Mae by my Granddaughter's University when we, at the last moment, found out she was short for tuition. As we needed to fund in 3 days we agreed co-sign on the worst interest loan we had ever been offered: 11%. It was miserable from that point on. We were given the incorrect payment address twice, the posting always ended up late by the time it reached the correct department. Their explanation: they were being divided and administered by different companies. I would get calls from outside the country because we were "late" - no, we were not. Finally was able to speak with someone in Salt Lake who told us he would be our contact and then, of course, he was soon no longer there. Once we signed up for auto withdrawal, it calmed down.... until my granddaughter graduated, she paid just fine until she moved out of state, could not find a job.

After her savings were depleted, she called to let them know she needed hardship relief. She believed they gave forbearance, but we were getting up to 8 robocalls each (husband and I) per day and emails saying she did not pay. We tried to to get them to help, received poor and incorrect information and the calls continued. Sometimes they would speak with us, sometimes not. We were told she was NOT in forbearance but could do so online - not true. Finally, my daughter who works in Finance spent time helping - received incorrect information then finally getting someone to help with forbearance stated it was her SECOND forbearance. So all the while she was in forbearance, we were receiving robocalls, emails and letters saying we were behind and because she did not pay we were responsible.

I threatened them with the Consumer Finance Protection Agency and reminded them that according to the Consumer Fair Debt Collection Practices act this could be considered harassment. They finally stopped the calls, but now, even though she is in confirmed forbearance, we are receiving emails we are behind. Though their representative have been polite in the discussions, they have given incorrect information. I find them to be an unbelievably poorly run, opportunistic and unprofessional loan company, and would leave them if I could. But they have probably affected our and my granddaughter's credit, so she will likely have trouble finding a re-fi loan. They have caused great distress for us and our granddaughter. I would NEVER EVER recommend them to anyone under any circumstance.

Original review: May 11, 2019

It ONLY took 12 years to pay-off the undergrad loan. Med school was financed thru Parents and Will probably get paid off in less time. My only issue will be if Politicians pass laws to forgive debts. What about everyone who has been paying monthly debt for over a decade? There is no discussion about repaying those who have diligently paid down debt. Will any Student Loans be reimburse (probably not).

Original review: April 27, 2019

I called Sallie Mae a few months ago after they doubled my loan payment unexpectedly. I told them they can either change it back to what it was or expect it to default. I don’t care about my credit and have no desire to own a home anytime soon so it’s no sweat off my back. Of course they were unwilling to work with me except for putting it in forbearance, so they can add the grossly accumulated interest onto the principal. So I stopped paying. I didn’t have a co-signer so the only person that hurts is myself.

Today my grandpa informed me that Sallie Mae called him in regards to my loan. Again, I have NO co-signer for this loan. The guy was asking him personal questions and for his SSN. My grandpa told him nothing. But the action on Sallie Mae's end seems pretty illegal. I wouldn’t touch Sallie Mae with a 5321 foot pole if I didn’t have to.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I co-signed a loan for my daughter's undergraduate tuition and expenses. The interest rate continued to rise. Although we paid early and twice or three times the minimum each month, Sallie Mae would not work with us to lower or refinance the loan. Even though we were told this would be an option down the road. When calling, their customer service representatives were not helpful and sometimes rude. I would not recommend Sallie Mae.

Original review: April 8, 2019

WARNING-I worked in fraud. It seems to me from the questions I was asked today that some of their reps are trying to get information to sell. What this company asked me for today is NOT NORMAL. I tried to open a two year CD here for a small amount. First time their website crashed during the verification. Second time it went through after asking me to verify everything under the sun including my ex sister in law's name who hasn’t been married to my brother in 15 plus years. Next day I get an email asking me to verify more. I call and verify the account, get transferred to fraud. Fraud says there is a problem with my address. I verify it as well as another property we owned in the 15 years I continually owned the other. They leave me on hold forever. I tell them they can verify with the tax assessor. That’s not proof they say. Then they start asking the weirdest garbage. Who my mobile carrier is and whose name my phone account is under? My pets' names.

Then they got ludicrous. How did I hear about Sallie Mae? (A weird question from a fraud department. But I was assured it was fraud related). Why did I open an account? (Seriously. Why did I open a two year CD? To save money. Smh.) Did anyone have access to my account? (Me. “Why? Do you show someone else accessing the account.” “No. We just ask.”) This goes on a long while. Then they want to call my bank the electronic transfer is coming from and verify over the phone which would have meant a rep from their office hearing my passwords. When I tell them they’re starting to sound like scammers, they scoff and say the security of my account is important. I ask to close the account. They lie and say it’s already been funded and they can’t close it. (I checked with the bank. It had not). But I wonder...why do they want to get my bank passwords if they had already taken out the money?

I ask the speak with a supervisor. They say I can when I verify more. Then they ask me more insanely stupid questions and afterwards say a supervisor will call me back. The passive aggressive crazy rep hangs up. I call back and told they are closed at 2:30 pm MST! This place is a nightmare and I’d be very wary about some call center rep wanting to know your mobile carrier, who owns your mobile account, passwords to your bank account - they can take over your phone and steal. Don’t trust these guys. There is something not right about this “bank” and the reps working in their centers. I resolved the issue by paying for a stop payment with my bank so the account wouldn’t be funded. A truly horrible and creepy experience. Wish I had never gone down this road.

Original review: April 6, 2019

I had a horrible experience with Sallie Mae. They contacted me repeatedly to consolidate my credit card debt. After spending lots of time giving them all the information they wanted and lots of calls from them telling me that I would definitely get a loan, I logged on to check on my loan and the results said I had no application on file. They just erased everything because the "proprietary method" they used said that my income wasn't enough. When I called to ask about it, the representative said that the person with whom I had been working was in and he would connect me. He then proceeded to put me on hold 6 times while he asked this person about my loan (he clearly was too cowardly to tell me that he had turned me down after assuring me that my loan would be approved) and finally I just gave up and said I would go through my credit union. Awful, awful customer service. Just a ghastly experience.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I am so glad I'm not the only one that has had a horrible experience with Sallie Mae. I thought I was helping my two sons with alternative loans to go to college but this company has made life after college difficult for my sons to start life. My sons have bachelor degrees and pay close to $700 dollars a month to Sallie Mae. The most they owe is 40,000. The interest my husband and I paid on these loans during the four yrs of college did not help our sons' interest as it was explained to us it would. FALSE ADVERTISEMENT!!!

I was told my son's loan was a fixed rate, wrong. I remember specifically signing a fixed rate loan. My son graduated and his loan is variable. Not only were we not aware that the loan has to be paid off in ten years from the first day of college but an additional two years has been added to the loan due to the variable interest. So we are currently working very hard to refinance the student loans with another company. Maybe someday my son will be able to buy his first home. My advice to parents is if you cannot pay for your child's college education, do not let them go away to college. Community colleges are a lot cheaper, a degree is a degree.

Original review: March 28, 2019

This was quite some time ago, but I did have a loan with them and it is was simple and easy to take care of. Was transferred a few times, but nothing changed. The other lenders were just as pleasant. Glad when it was paid off!!

Original review: March 22, 2019

I had a savings account with Sallie Mae. Three weeks ago I was informed, with no advanced warning, that my account had been closed due to (what they said was) "suspicious activity." They refuse to tell me what this suspicious activity was supposed to be, they refuse to tell me when I will get my money back or how much of it I will get back -- they won't tell me anything. Again, this was three weeks ago.

To be clear, I am a college professor, excellent credit, good financial habits. I have not had so much as a speeding ticket in my entire adult life. There was no "suspicious activity," unless my account was hacked. The only thing I EVER did with this account was put money in it. So if you think Sallie Me would never do this to you, think again. DO NOT TRUST THIS COMPANY.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I have multiple accounts with passwords and never have issues. With Sallie Mae, however, after being locked out of my account continuously, even when using saved passwords, written-down-so-I-don’t-forget passwords, etc, I STILL get locked out. When you call, don’t expect any help either. You will get hung up on before you navigate the automated system. Literally the worst bank ever. I have emailed to request someone please call me instead, hoping I can talk to someone long enough to close my account.

Original review: March 18, 2019

This is one of the worst student loan program ever. I would never recommend this program to anyone. They make it so hard for students to make the payments that they wants from student that just got out of college. Not a good one. : (

Original review: March 15, 2019

High Yield Savings Account/Unacceptable Business Practices. While I have not lost any money there are several reasons to not choose Sallie Mae's savings accounts based on my experience: 1) If you transfer $5K or more, they will hold ALL of the deposit for more than 10 days for no apparent reason other than I presume to play the float against us. 2) You cannot change or delete a transfer of funds once it is submitted unless you call in. 3) Calling in is a joke, they automatically hang up on you after telling you they are very busy at the time.

I have accounts with other firms, like Marcus, and they have none of these issues and higher interest rates. So, if you are looking for a solid high yield savings account, I would go there or choose someone other than Sallie Mae. Separately, Capital One also is questionable on their deposits as they play you on the float too. Marcus plays no such game no matter how much I send over there.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I signed up for two fixed rate graduate student loans, and one is just fine. The other, and larger, loan magically turned itself into a variable rate loan. Despite presentation of origination documents showing 'fixed rate', Sallie Mae keeps coming back with a processing sheet saying they processed it as a variable rate loan. Obviously, that is not what I signed up for. One would think this would be an easy fix, but Sallie Mae refuses to fix the problem. They have since raised the interest rate by a factor of 8 from the changes in the 'liber rate' they site as the need for the increases. These guys are straight up crooks. They learned absolutely nothing from the financial crisis or from Wells Fargo.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I took out two student loans to finish nursing school in 2014 and 2015. My brother was kind enough to co-sign those loans. Since graduating they have raised the interest rates with zero notification and pulled my co-signer's credit report 4 times for some unknown reason. I have not ever been more than 5 days late on a payment and had automatic debit as well. This month for some reason my automatic payment wasn't taken and I didn't know it until they started calling and harassing my father who is not my co-signer, my co-signer, and then pulled mine and my co-signers credit report.

My payment should have been taken but somehow it magically didn't get charged. Now they will try to raise my interest rate and I realized that this is the game they play so they can increase interest rates. "Forget" to withdrawal payments on automatic debits and then raise rates without notification. What kind of company is this??!! Morgan and Morgan need to start a class action lawsuit and I hope all my documentation and records will help start the process.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Well, Sallie Mae is at it again. I’m on SSDI. Full disabiltiy. I quit school because of the disabilities. I told Sallie Mae this. After almost 2 years, they have now sent a collection agency after me. I’m not afraid of them. I’ve had sound advice from an attorney and they cannot touch or garnish my SSDI or my husband’s retirement. In Tennessee, you can exempt up to $10,000 in personal property from being seized. We own no real property. They better leave us alone.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I unfortunately needed to take out loans in order to complete my college schooling. The aftermath of this has entirely made me regret going to college and has essentially ruined my adult life. Sallie Mae no longer consolidates their loans, which they don't tell you beforehand, and they are completely unwilling to help -- despite the fact that someone who just graduated college may not be in a place to pay their insane monthly payments. Each month, they currently take over half of my monthly paycheck.

I've tried to contact them and request assistance and was essentially told to suck it up or that I could put my loans on hold for one month to a year, but that would cause my interest rates to skyrocket. These payments have completely depleted any savings that I had, because whether they believe it or not you do need some of your paycheck left to live off of. I'm stuck in a horrible dead-end, with no escape. Whatever you do, do not take out loans with Sallie Mae.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

This loan is the worst. They do not care about your problems when you're going through it. I wouldn't recommend this loan to anyone at all. This loan is the death of everyone, interest is high and when you thought you're half way done you're back from step one. PLEASE DO YOUR RESEARCH AHEAD OF TIME. DO NOT SIGN UP WITH THEM. I missed two months of payment and they send it to the credit report department, lowered my credit score down 100 points. Insane is not the word.

Sallie Mae Company Information