3.79/5
  • 1 star
Based on 62 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution
Get matched with a recommended annuity company
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: May 17, 2017

62 Prudential Annuities Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: May 17, 2017

There is hardly ever a long wait time on the phone. It's very easy to talk to a person and they're happy to help. But people are nice and also speak Spanish fluently. And the payout options are wonderful. I tell all my friends, family and family friends about Prudential Annuities. Even my dog knows about the payout options.

Original review: May 15, 2017

Prudential Annuities has a decent customer service department. Find a good, trustworthy agent to do business with, and build a long term relationship. If you find the right people (and there are many) your service experience will be a good one. My agent did a transfer of assets from another firm straight into this annuity. I checked with my CPA to see what potential tax implications there might be, and then proceeded. Overall, it was a smooth process without any hiccups. Happy with product and performance.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: May 5, 2017

The experience was ok. It will never be what it was everyone should have there. The people tried to help me the best they could or what they knew theirselves. They were fast and thorough. We did not wait too long. The payout options are pretty good. I do get it but sometimes it was a little fast we need to check our slips and make sure it was all alright. The funding is good and accurate and not fraud. We need to always check to make sure there was not a human error. I always check to make sure you all right and it always is.

Original review: May 2, 2017

I had a policy with this company for several years with a retirement fund savings plan. Three months ago I moved from California to Puerto Rico. When I got over here I start looking for a job to cover my payment of my policy. So I decided to canceled it surrendering it and this company promised to send me a check for the cash value of the policy and ask me to given my new address so they can send me a set of forms to be filled out and return to them. I told them to send them via email and they agree. They send them but when I try to open the secured e-mail it did not open following the instructions they say to follow.

So it went for days and days trying to open the email and finally after several calls and many hours of waiting on the phone I finally opened the email and I did printed the forms and send them by mail because they say it was the only option they had. They promised they will send the check from seven to ten days after receiving the forms. I wait that time and one day I received an envelope with a letter where they say that in a different envelope I will receive the check. I kept waiting for that envelope and never receive it till I call them after Easter week and the answer was that my check was returned from the post office. I went to the post office and ask the person that is in charge of the mail in my area. He said that he never returned such envelope.

So Prudential people say they will resend the check and ask me to given a week to receive it. After a week I call them back and they say they had send the check on the 24th of April. That was on Thursday the 27th. Then they say to check the mail by Tuesday the 2nd of May. Today I checked my mail today and nothing. I call them back. The person that answer gave me with a supervisor specialist and this lady came on the phone and told me that my check is in the way since the 24th of April and shouldn't take no longer than June the 8th. So I told her that I better write a review about it and she just say that she apologize for this matter.

Original review: April 30, 2017

Bought this product as it promised to allow market participation with downside protection, but subaccounts in my opinion, since purchase have been corrupted by Pru with Prudential created volatility "stabilizers" for lack of better word to describe them that steal the upside performance almost completely away and am stuck real lying on their guaranteed income returns which means that I am hostage to their annuity as cash value isn't growing at all near the levels it should if they hadn't put those securities into the subaccounts. Should've know this product sounded too good to be true. Avoid my mistake by avoiding Prudential Annuities.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Prudential Annuities?

Original review: Feb. 15, 2017

I have been very pleased with the service received from Prudential, the funding options presented, and the payout options available. I was very unsure of the process in the beginning but was walked through each step with great explanation from the Prudential sales team. The funding options fit with my lifestyle and financial portfolio. I am at this point very certain in how and when I am planning to take my payouts, so I am less concerned with flexibility to be honest. At this point, I am more concerned with paying in, rather than withdrawing. However, I believe that when the time comes that I need to discuss withdraw, I will be pleased with the agreed upon terms. The most important thing is to ask questions, and if you can't get the answers you need, ask to speak to someone else. It's your hard earned money. Prudential was very helpful in making me an informed customer.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2017

When I first called to have everything set up I talked to a very nice and polite receptionist. She helped me with everything just in case I didn't understand anything and at the end of she made sure that I was satisfied. Withdraw option was easy. I like that they make sure you are who you are. They have several security questions that they ask you to make sure no one else are trying to be you. I like that my savings are being protected. Moreover, the funding options are great. They have several different types of Trust that you can put your money in and they will help you if you're undecided. Also, I like that they have several payout options. The more the better because not everybody have the same options the way to get paid.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2017

I've had an annuity with them for 10 years and wanted a fixed rate. They offered me a fixed rate and knowing that I took a monthly draw, didn't explain that if I took a draw from this new "Fixed" account I would pay a penalty. Now I'm stuck and they won't do anything about it.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

I have a Prudential Premier Retirement B Series Annuity. I intend to annuitize it in 2022, which was always my plan. The withdrawal base is adjusted upward and locked in each time the investments inside the annuity reach a new market high. Step ups have occurred 35 times since my investment date, but the most recent step up was 7/3/2014 - indicating this investment is underperforming virtually EVERYTHING else available in an exceptionally bullish period for stocks. But hey - at least for this crummy performance I get to pay some of the highest fees you can find on planet earth.

To anyone considering a Prudential annuity, or any product from Prudential, I urge you to RUN as fast as possible in the other direction. Please note that my customer service score below applies ONLY to the people on the phone - who are courteous and knowledgeable if you have the stamina to endure the incredibly annoying phone menus and get through to a human being. The poor schmucks who have the nasty job of fielding calls are not to blame for the fact that the products are a ripoff.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

The strength of Prudential gave me confidence to invest with them. The advisor was the most knowledgeable financial planner I have ever met. In only a few weeks, he had a tiered plan that made sense. We consolidated some investments that were underperforming and rolled them into a variable annuity that offered low risk, reasonable growth, and a long term solution that lets me focus on other things instead of the ups and downs of the market. Daily rollups are great benefit but I don't expect them to be frequent.:( The financial planner made practical suggestions about withholding cash until distributions begin, and his projections have been spot on! The website is easy to use as well, a great benefit for someone who hates paper and prefers electronic everything. Great job Prudential! You are a good fit for my financial needs and planning!!!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2016

Not the best customer service, but they try. It seems once they get your money, you're not as "important". I wish they cared throughout the entire process. You figure if you have an emergency you should be able to take what you need, if you have it. It was like pulling teeth when I wrecked my car, I needed to take cash out to get a new car. Took me 6 months. It's not as bad as some other ones out there but a little better interest rate would be great. It's not like that would put them out of business. With so many different options out there, I'd be remiss if I didn't say it could be way better. But I'm ok with what I get, just wish it was better.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

They were very professional. They helped me understand the process and worked with me to make sure I knew everything about purchasing an annuity through their company. They answered any and all questions I had. Very helpful and easy. Overall it was a fantastic experience. The employees met my needs easily. It was an extremely pleasant experience and I was happy to be able to work with their great employees who helped the process very easy. Twas a wonderful experience. Everyone was so very helpful in explaining all of my options and they met my needs beyond expectations. I'd definitely recommend them.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2016

The people are very friendly and knowledgeable. The staff was very helpful though. I'm sure there's a penalty for early withdrawal and I don't want to do that yet. I want to stick it out and see what happens. You can get it in a lump sum or spread out depending on the amount. I'm not sure of all the details but hopefully I'll get more knowledgeable and educated on this and read everything I can so I can make better decisions and hopefully make some money.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2016

Very good quality. I found it fast and efficient. I am happy I am using this website. I want to recommend it to my friends. They will enjoy the quality. There are many different way I can withdraw my funds. The site is easy to understand and if assistance is needed it is available. The payouts are quick and easy to get. You can just log on when you need to and you are ready. No fuss at all. Just start and it is easy ready set go. Funding is easy. Just sign right in and get ready to go just access this site and you are ready set go. Just start up, find what you want and you are ready.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2016

Amazing service, they explain their services very well, answer every question with gracefulness, professionalism. They also don't have long hold times when calling in. I get to choose when and how much I want to withdraw, I can also set during what periods I want to withdraw and everything is guaranteed. I have period for certain phases to payout like when and how long after I die. Even if it is a lump sum or in small increments. I am able to fund this however I want... increments paid, lump sum, etc.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2016

Words cannot describe how I feel about the customer service team. They are friendly, experienced, and skilled problem solvers! I know I can trust them. Withdrawals are made very easy for anybody who wishes to do so. I am truly amazed by how simple it is to complete such a task! Incredible. The payout options are pretty good. I have seemingly tons of options to make payouts and I tend to use all of them whenever I feel it's necessary. I can't say enough good things about this company. The funding options are great, just like the other parts of the company. Truly amazing.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

It was hard to get in touch with someone to discuss payment distribution disputes. Often I would get an automated service and would have trouble getting a real person on the phone. The menu of options did not always address what I was looking for. I was hoping to negotiate a lower annuity payment age but they had a nonflexible distribution age requirement. This is an instance where I wanted to speak with someone over the phone. I was happy with their offered layout options. Although they tried to convince me to get a period certain, I ended up going with life with guaranteed term. I was overall pleased with my experience selecting funding options. They offered me single payment, series of payments or social security, and I chose a series of payments.

Original review: July 1, 2016

An associate will guide you and help you understand the situation. Be sure to give them all the necessary information in order to get the best results and most money possible. I am able to withdraw enough money each month to pay all my bills. They helped me get the maximum amount of money that was due to me. My payments are always on time and accessible whenever I need it. I chose to have my payments come on a monthly basis. That helps me to budget my money instead of a lump sum that I may waste or overspend. They had the funds to help me before everything was settled. So I'm satisfied with their funding.

Original review: June 17, 2016

I had a few hiccups in the process but the people who I talked with were very helpful and explained things easily. I contacted customer service about three times twice on the phone and once on an app and each time someone was able to help me with my situation and fix the problem immediately. I think this company is one of the best ones out there. They have people who really know what they are doing and they are very helpful and make me feel like they actually care about what I am doing and who I am as a person. We came to an arrangement that best fit my needs. I was at first told I couldn't do what I wanted to but then with a bit of persuasion then I was able to get my way. There could have been more of these options available but because of my past credit history and other issues I was not able to do exactly as I wanted to but everything worked out fine.

Original review: June 15, 2016

I was new to investing and they were always very helpful and didn't make me feel stupid. I highly recommend this company for people just starting out. I plan to have my money here for a long time and see no need in taking it out. They really helped me make the most of the money I had because they knew like I did, it would have to last me the rest of my life. So they asked me what my plans were for the future, if I wanted to travel, etc and we budgeted that in.

Original review: June 14, 2016

These people were awesome. They got the job done right. I felt like I made the right investment and answered all the questions I had and then some. I walked away knowing I made the right decision. This process was so easy and very user friendly. I had no problems completing my transactions through them. All the tools were there to fully understand what I needed to do, like I was being walked through it with a rep by my side. The payout options are very explanatory and easy to understand. They offer several options on how you would like to payout or cash out your money from them. They will walk you through it til the end. Very happy with how they funded by monies. They offered just the right amount of tools that I needed to feel like I was doing the right thing.

Original review: June 11, 2016

Mostly use designated financial planner that has been very helpful. Keep me informed of progress and usually calls at least two times a year to go over portfolio. Seems knowledgeable and honest. If I have any questions I feel good about being able to ask his opinion. I follow Prudential website periodically to keep up on market. Have not made any withdrawals at this point in my life, but feel I have gained enough to hopefully last my lifetime at this point. I am 67 and still work part time. Option for monthly payouts when I am ready to withdraw, I am not ready to withdraw at this point in my life. May need it for the future however. Some people do not agree with my approach, but do not know how long I will live. Funding options were pretty much predetermined by the board at Prudential according to my options which I chose. I am in an more conservative approach at this point in my life.

Original review: May 31, 2016

It's okay but need a good insurance policy. Might get AARP but not sure yet. Lincoln Mutual is an option also. They do not seem to care much... have been trying to find the very best one so am still looking and the price also matters!! I hope to find one very soon. The payout is too much!! It's a search to find the right one that fits your budget. Just keep checking online is my best guess and ask your friends for their opinion. Eventually you will find the best one to fit you and your family's needs. Good Luck To All!

Original review: May 16, 2016

I work for a Financial Professional and have been calling Prudential Annuities Service Center quarterly for the last two years to obtain client statements. Every time I call for one particular client they tell me the same thing, that my boss is not listed as the Financial Professional. So I spend a half hour to 45 minutes to get it straightened out.

Today I called and asked to speak to a supervisor. After 45 minutes, he assured me the matter was taken care of and that he would send me the clients statements. After waiting two hours, I never received them. When I called Prudential back to find out what had happened, I was told there was no record of our conversation. I asked the person on the phone where they were located and he told me "the Philippines". I will never invest my own money with Prudential. Nothing but awful customer services.

Original review: March 23, 2016

Knowledgeable staff, efficient processing, and good return investment advice. Curious and friendly advisors that are interested in my best interests. Great locations of branches and Internet access. Quick and easy process whenever needed. Staff goes above and beyond normal standard of service. Would definitely recommend to my friends and family. There are a few payout options. Some I prefer more than others but I like having the options available. They are responsive to customers different needs and wants. A perfect combination of versatility and convenience. The funding options are varied and very useful. It is very nice to be able to choose from many options instead of only a few. Staff is helpful and informative.

Original review: March 9, 2016

While I have no experience with the website or 800 customer service, all questions have always been answered promptly by our local agent and his recommendations have worked out quite well. There have always been several ways to add funds to the account and they have all worked when they have been used in the past and continue to be used.

Original review: March 7, 2016

They were very caring and helpful, were very concerned about my needs, answered all my questions efficiently. Even contacted me through emails and phone calls to follow up. I could withdrawal at any time but I did not choose to do so because I'm very confident with this company. They showed a real concern for me. And kept me well informed on all policies. It pays out well. I had no concerns. Like I said I'm very happy with this company and all of their policies. It was a good investment for me and my family. The funding options are perfect for me and my family. I would recommend this company above others that I have tried. I'm very satisfied with everything that they do. Would recommend them.

Original review: March 5, 2016

The application was easy. With the current market I have decided not to use it yet. It has performed well in spite of the current economic situation. Some are better choices than others now. I feel that it's a good investment to supplement retirement (Social Security and other investments). Especially, since the market performance is bad. Have not withdrawn yet. I can but with the current market situation I'm waiting till it increases in value for a better monthly payment. The payout options are good. Especially, if you hold it until it can gives you a maximum or larger monthly amount. You can fund it with other investments that are not doing well in the market or make monthly payments towards the time that you retire or the period you chose and according to the annuity. That's my understanding. Applied for mine after age 65 for additional monthly income.

Original review: March 1, 2016

The customer service was so very helpful and really helped me when I needed to be helped. Withdrawal was an easy and fun way to do business in a time when people do not like to busy themselves with banking on banks like the bank of america and loans and stuff to do in places. What a lot of money I received that day! Funding was really great and I could buy whatever I wanted with the cash that I received. And that cash was really helpful in so many ways that people cannot even imagine.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2016

They were very responsive. timely and thorough. Also were patient with my questions, never interrupting at all. I always got the answer I needed, and they were great at follow-ups. Never any rudeness or rushing at all. I never had any problem whatsoever. They explained any procedures and what the options were for me. Very easy and painless. I got a full accounting and they kept me up to date. They had very good terms. Not the easiest sometimes, but with enough follow through and patience we always seemed to get things done and I was happy with the results. Good options. They explained things very well and provided great information. The process was smooth and they made sure I was happy the whole time.

Prudential Annuities expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Prudential, also known as "The Rock," has been in business for nearly 140 years. Today, Prudential is one of the most recognized and one of the world's largest financial services institutions. Prudential was also one of the few companies that declined to participate in the TARP program in 2009.

• Service online: This secure online resource allows customers to access their account any time for checking values, making transfers, and downloading statements.

• Retirement Red Zone: Prudential helps to educate and inform consumers through its Retirement Red Zone, named for the years during which it is crucial to turn retirement savings into cash that will last a lifetime.

• Highest Daily Lifetime Income: This optional purchase with Prudential variable annuities allows consumers to lock in new account highs daily.

• Find a Financial Advisor: Consumers wishing to discuss Prudential annuities can use the online tool to find local Prudential and independent financial advisors.

• Roadmap to Retirement: Prudential provides this educational reference to current and prospective customers outlining the steps to take, and the conversations to have, when planning for retirement.

• Best for: Savers, savers plus income generators, and retirees.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs