3.34/5

Get matched with a recommended annuity company

Get matched with a recommended annuity company

Prudential Annuities Reviews

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

1 - Customer Service reps are mostly subcontractors located off-shore. Difficult to understand. Not very helpful. They keep asking the same questions over and over again. Purposely undertrained.

2 - When finally getting to the point of being able to withdraw your funds, the ONLY option one is given is to pick a DATE of the month. Considering Prudential takes 1 day to balance your account, 1 day to send the funds out EFT and DAYS for one's bank to process the deposit, you could wait up to 7 DAYS (maybe more) for YOUR money depending on holidays or weekends.

Requests for Prudential to allow withdrawals on the DAY of the month similar to SS (example - 3rd Tuesday of every month) is simply ignored. RARELY will you get your funds in a reasonable and predictable timeframe. They always have an excuse using the DAY of the month method. "We can't process withdrawals on a weekend or holiday." "Your bank can take 3 to 5 days to release the funds," (Banks never take that long). "The bank is closed for the weekend or a holiday. The stock market is closed for the weekend or a holiday." "Prudential is closed for the weekend or holiday." "It takes us 1 business day to process." "It takes 1 business day for the EFT to process." Based on the 3 business days to process, all the federal holidays and weekends, 8 months (maybe more) out of 12 you won't get your money in 3 days. No salesperson will EVER tell you this when TAKING your money.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I called Prudential to ask some tax related questions for my grandma who is a US citizen if doesn’t live on the US. After asking me a million questions about my name and other stuff and basically treating me like I’m some nuisance to get rid of despite my politeness the lady transfers me to a certain David who can help me. After David has zero interest in finding out what my question is because he obviously doesn’t like his job he tells me he can’t tell me anything and I need to get data from the IRS and gives me completely incorrect data about what my grandma needs to fill out.

Then he hangs up telling me to continue to the survey which I agreed to do and actually cuts me off from doing it. Very unpleasant very impolite two customer service reps. No interest in help, you're a nuisance, a piece of garage to dispose of. I absolutely gave no reason for this. I was very detailed in my question and answers and very patient and nice. I did nothing on my part to warrant this kind of treatment.

Get expert buying tips about Annuities delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 22, 2019

Prudential and the representative agent are only agreed to take your money, not caring how to better manage your savings & retirement. They work for their own profit only! Be aware of this if you choose Prudential. I want to state this, so this will not happen to other people!! I had an annuity account with New York Life and was not happy with the 1% given, and was advised by a Prudential agent that they could handle and do better than the 1 %, to end up making 0%!

I have $74K and had to lost $2K in surrender fee and after the first year, the agent came with "good news", "You didn't make any, but didn't lose any too!" He persuade and convinced me that whatever I would make on Prudential, would compensate the loss on penalty paid for taking the money out to make nothing! When questioned, they just said I agreed with everything and the agent is not suppose to handle my account anymore! I am fighting to get the money out from these greedy people! Stay away from Prudential!!!

Original review: April 16, 2019

I also am the victim of a huge financial annuity loss December 2018 by Prudential/AXA! Like those who have lost upwards of $60-70,000 in value of their portfolio I experienced the same. I have tried for six months (as of April 2019) to close out my account and have been unable to! From an agent not showing up for a scheduled meeting to calls to the head office to close the account, nothing is moving! Once these crooks have your money, you can kiss your financial future goodbye! Prudential is a Ponzi scheme as many here have related. Without your hard earned money coming into their pockets they have nothing!

Original review: March 27, 2019

Apply for a hardship loan after my son had cancer and receiving a bone marrow transplant. Had all paperwork from the hospital doctor. Bills over $47,000. 2 months later we had a hail storm and wind damage in my house with $15,000 of damage. Requested $25,000 out of my $50,000 available. Gave them over 300 pages of documents and they continue to say not enough paperwork, not enough proof then I was approved then denied then approved then denied over three times. I'm at the end. I never got a penny. Never got a dime out of them. I gave up. Oh after 2 months of fighting for my money the money I put in they will not give me anything. This is an overseas account. They are still in the American money. It's racketeering. Someone needs to get together and have a class action lawsuit against these people. It's unfair. It's not right what they're doing to the American people. They're stealing our money.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Prudential Annuities?

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

They were the most unhelpful people to handle your funds, they all say different things and to this day I am waiting on my funds. It has been months! Set up your own retirement! They are not professional at all!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

As of this date... I have lost $60,000 dollars out of my annuity value. Prudential invests in themselves it seems and it's a losing deal. I cannot/will not recommend Prudential. Find someone else for investment management. I never receive any literature from them in the yrs I have been with them. No year end statements no agent calls to review account. Nothing. They took my money and have squandered it. In my opinion, they can't manage their way out of wet paper bag!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I opened this annuity through a broker, and after 10 years it has stopped growing. Knew this up front. No problem, but trying to get my annual check or even my balance was incredibly difficult. I had electronic access up until their "new server". I live overseas, and since they had a problem verifying the ip, because it was Myanmar, their IT department decided the correct approach was for me to purchase (at my expense) a VPN account which I successfully used for the last three years. In August their "new server" no longer allows VPN access, and after a month they had no solution. Kept trying to tell me it was my computer.

Finally got someone in IT to admit it was because they no way to access the computer in Myanmar to verify it was me. Password, three challenge questions, two factor authentication but gee... no way. Even a pinky swear wouldn't work. Had to call my broker to have them work as a middle man. To eliminate the hassle, I tried to set up an automatic ACH deposit to my stateside bank. Oh we need a voided check, now remember I am 10,000 miles away and no one accepts checks in this country... so obviously no checks. I contacted my VERY supportive bank Navy Federal Credit Union, and they said "no problem" and created a form with the correct routing number and account number in the form of a voided check complete with usage instructions.

I have had this account since I was overseas in the Navy which dates back to the 70s but because they numbered the voided check 100... Prudential declined it suggesting that it was a "starter check". No cross check with the institution just NOPE. Avoid these idiots like the plague, and please tell everyone you talk to.

Thanks - ps system wouldn't let me give then a "no stars".

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I am trying to find somewhere to post my displeasure at this company so others avoid going through the same problems. It’s taken 14 months to cash out my pension plan and I have read the same from other folks. My plan was in the UK so the issue is company wide. For 14 months I went in circles trying to get my money, by the time I did the value of the dollar dropped and cost me a few thousand dollars. I am currently trying to get reimbursed for all my costs, so anyone looking to invest go elsewhere.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

My wife and I were told by the Prudential salesperson that we would, if we left or 300k annuity untouch for ten years, we would then be guaranteed a minimum of 60k per year for life. Five years into the contract we learned that we were in fact guaranteed only half that amount. As it turns out, we will have to live into our late 80's to have this investment make sense. The company refuses to allow us a meeting in person with someone from personal relations. It has been a nightmare experience for us. I urge anyone considering a Prudential annuity, or any other annuity for that matter, to consult an independent expert who can evaluate whether this EXTREMELY complex instrument is right for you.

Prudential Annuities expert review by Jim Blankenship

Prudential, also known as "The Rock," has been in business for nearly 140 years. Today, Prudential is one of the most recognized and one of the world's largest financial services institutions. Prudential was also one of the few companies that declined to participate in the TARP program in 2009.

• Service online: This secure online resource allows customers to access their account any time for checking values, making transfers, and downloading statements.

• Retirement Red Zone: Prudential helps to educate and inform consumers through its Retirement Red Zone, named for the years during which it is crucial to turn retirement savings into cash that will last a lifetime.

• Highest Daily Lifetime Income: This optional purchase with Prudential variable annuities allows consumers to lock in new account highs daily.

• Find a Financial Advisor: Consumers wishing to discuss Prudential annuities can use the online tool to find local Prudential and independent financial advisors.

• Roadmap to Retirement: Prudential provides this educational reference to current and prospective customers outlining the steps to take, and the conversations to have, when planning for retirement.

• Best for: Savers, savers plus income generators, and retirees.

Profile picture of Jim Blankenship
      Jim Blankenship Investments and Retirement Planning Expert

Jim Blankenship is a Certified Financial Planner with over 30 years of experience in the financial services industry. He is the founder and principal of Blankenship Financial Planning, Ltd., has earned the Enrolled Agent designation and is a NAPFA-registered financial advisor. Prior to establishing his independent firm, Jim operated a successful tax preparation service and managed information technology operations for a major financial services corporation. Jim is the author of three books and a contributor to the blog, Getting Your Financial Ducks in a Row.

Prudential Annuities Company Information