Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.16/5

ProtectMyID Reviews

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

This is a member's benefit from AAA and it is basic protection with option to upgrade to premium. It was easy to Sign up for and seems thus far to do a good job.

Original review: July 29, 2019

The employees answering the phone when I called to report identity theft earlier this month. He told me no, no, no!! "You don't want to put a freeze on your credit." What?? Of course I want to freeze it so no one takes out credit in my name. Now I have no idea what's happening. I've been locked out of Experian. They said I am not who I say I am. This is terrifying. I need help and nowhere to turn. Hackers are taking over and getting away with their scams!

Get expert buying tips about Identity Theft Protection delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 5, 2019

S.C. TAX COMM. Had a breach. Offered a free year of Experian ProtectMyID to all breached. I had it for 4 family members. Decided to continue with annual billings for over 10 years. Then in October of 2018 they emailed me there would be a price increase of tenfold. I replied I needed to cancel all 4 memberships and gave them the 4 account numbers. All went well...THEN today I see on my credit card statement a annual charge for one of the accounts. I called to be informed I may pay for all four accounts but could only cancel mine. That the one account was still active.

After some follow up questions, like how had I canceled the other 3 then, they agreed they had made a mistake. Would cancel that last account and would refund me a PRORATED refund. So I will have to pay for their mistake. In the scheme of day to day problems, it is my wasted time asking people twice to do what they are supposed to do. And instead of an apology and a refund. I would still have to pay for their mistake. So I will let you judge this. Experian swindled me out of my time, and 9 buck. Hope it was worth it to them...Barry

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I had a yearly subscription for two years. The first year was free because Experian compromised my information. Everyone should remember that this service to protect one's ID came into being because the credit rating agencies continually failed to do so. The outrage over their leaks is why we can do a credit freeze for free. You can get a free Experian credit report with the membership. But you dont need a membership if you just want the credit report, everyone in America is entitled to a free report from each agency on an annual basis. So the only value left in the membership is the insurance. This is identity insurance, the rest of the services are just to lure you in.

There is no free base membership. This is actually very odd because the main competition, Transunion and Equifax, offers a free base membership with their identity protection. The free memberships at other agencies can also send out notifications when there are changes to the credit report. So really, the membership is for INSURANCE.

You cannot delete your credit card information in their account information portal. I called and canceled my membership as soon as I noticed a charge. I did not receive a billing reminder so when I got billed I was not happy. I did not like their call center. I actually had to call twice because they said the "system was down because it was updating." This might be true but it seemed odd to me. Also they do not give reference numbers nor call customers back; this is important because if you call and their system goes down, you have to start all over with a new rep.

This product might be advisable if you want to monitor your credit before getting ready for a large loan or mortgage application. But before going with ProtectMyID, check the coverage of the main competitors; they offer the same services but the insurance coverage varies. If you don't see yourself applying for a loan within the next couple years, just freeze your credit (free) and you wont have to worry about monitoring your identity/credit report.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

The short story: Rude, incompetent, sketchy reps who take your info and you feel more insecure using the service than not. DO NOT USE. Felt like the reps were harvesting personal information. Long Story: Had service through University. Liked it. Renewed service. Logged in as normal. Try to log in a week later, system has no record of me. Call customer service. First representative is rude and chewing while talking. Hang up. Call second representative, she transfers me to another department, who says they have nothing to do with memberships. Call again, pay for membership. Rep asks me if I want password reset. Answer security questions and she sends link. Never get link. Call back, rep asks me more questions, which she says I did not answer correct and I will have to call back in 24 hours. Speak to supervisor and ask to cancel service. Get cancelation email. Ask for refund, told that I was benefiting from services and could not get refund.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ProtectMyID?

Original review: March 10, 2018

Years ago, my information the state had got hacked and they signed me up with a free credit monitoring service... ProtectMyID. When it was up to renew I renewed it and gave them my credit card information. Later, during the great Equifax hack, I switched to another credit monitoring service. Got a notice from ProtectMyID that my account was going to auto-renew, went into the account and there is absolutely no way, aside from the obscure language I was able to find in the contract to cancel. Tried calling and was left on hold for hours, no answer - like WOW, what if I actually needed this damn service, lol!!

The website looks like a complete hack job, if this company is really supposed to be associated with Experian I'd assume they'd be able to hire some decent programmers, right?? So, I've sent them the lengthy notice to please cancel my damn account, but really doubt that will do anything - so I called the bank and told them to refuse payment to them. Please!! Please!! Don't have anything to do with this company - it's stinks to high heaven of a scam. Not like we've had enough of that already right. : (

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

Called Experian/ProtectMyID this a.m. - on hold over 1.5 hrs and gave up on trying to reach anyone! Attempted to contact via email - 2 different addresses - first one came back stating not in service, still awaiting reply from 2nd attempt. They send alerts periodically stating all is well but is it really? I am trying to cancel their service. Unable to remove my credit card from their website so I contacted the credit card company to flag my account for cancellation of services. Would not recommend dealing with this company!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Worst customer service and website. The website does not function properly. It will not allow more than one item to be saved under Debit Cards or Medical Cards. Email link for assistance does not function - blank blue screen asking to choose an email address - with no addresses visible. I've called three times with no help at all. Last time I was told that there was a "service ticket" assigned, but I've had no follow-up yet. It's been a week since I've called and the website still does not function. AAA who promotes this inferior product does not respond to emails about it either. I've attempted to use the website on two different computers, with three different browsers, and two different search engines. It still doesn't work properly. Save your time and money - Avoid this product.

Original review: June 20, 2017

I received a "free trial period" for this company, after a "break in at my university divulged the information of my SSN and address to hackers". I never ATTENDED that university, and I contacted the University (who's number was not on the paperwork) and they had no record of such a break-in occurring! Please please do not join this company, it is a fraud to GET your SSN and credit card numbers. FRAUD!

Original review: March 27, 2017

I received free membership of ProtectMyID as part of an earlier identity theft issue affecting another service provider. As other reviewers have stated, during my membership period I have had my credit cards cloned and fraudulently used, but never have any of these breaches been picked up by ProtectMyID. Ironically, when I have received an alert about possible breaches of my identity, these have occurred while I have been working overseas - where risk of identity theft is usually higher - and from where it is physically impossible to access the ProtectMyID website to find out what the alert is! The site does not allow access from non-US based web servers it would seems. A ludicrous state of affairs and another reason why I would never recommend this company or its products.

Not sure about ProtectMyID?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right identity theft protection for you.

ProtectMyID expert review by Rob Douglas

Complete plan that offers identity theft detection, protection and resolution in one package. Optional child ID theft protection available. Plan includes credit monitoring, suspicious internet alerts and monthly surveillance alerts if no potential threats are uncovered.

• Three-in-one plan: The ProtectMyID plan is offered from Experian, so they provide direct credit-monitoring, as well as tools to detect identity theft, protect your information and assist you in case recovery, is needed. National change of address monitoring also included.

• ChildSecure option: Once you enroll in ProtectMyID, you have the choice to sign up for the ChildSecure add-on plan for any children under your care.

• Includes text or email alerts: Be alerted at home or on the go with texts and emails to alert you of potential threats with daily detection. You’ll also get a clear surveillance report each month if there is no suspicious activity uncovered.

• $0-deductible ID theft insurance: Plans include a recovery team and coverage up to $1 million in qualified expenses in the event of identity fraud with no deductible.

by Rob Douglas Identity Theft Protection Contributing Editor

Rob Douglas is an information security consultant specializing in the investigation and prevention of identity theft and scams. Rob is one of the nation’s leading authorities on the use of social engineering, impersonation, fraud and pretext to steal personal information. For two decades, Rob has assisted the financial services sector, the telecommunications industry, the general business community, government and law enforcement agencies to better understand the scope and methodology of identity crimes through presentations, educational materials, auditing and consultation.

ProtectMyID Company Information