ProtectMyID

Compare Identity Theft Protection Companies

Research top Identity Theft Protection Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

ProtectMyID sounds like a good idea at first. Get alerts from one of the major credit reporting companies (Experian) when something unusual is reported to your credit report. But wait! First off, the "alerts" that you get tell you nothing other than the bare appearance of new data on your credit report. In my case, I got repeated alerts while I was shopping for a home loan, all for the same event.

Next, when you choose to "Dispute" the alert (in my case, an incorrectly billed past-due notice from a department store), you are told to "Click this button" to dispute this entry. When you do, a screen tells you that you have no active credit reports and that you can't dispute an item just because they sent you an alert!!! Well, what the ** is your service good for if not for identifying and disputing incorrect items?

Thirdly, and most importantly, I had a credit card that was used in Shanghai, China for 2 purchases during the month of August. I was notified that this was suspicious activity by Bank Of America. I was notified that this was suspicious activity by Credit Karma. I was notified that this was suspicious activity by everyone but... You guessed it! ProtectMyID. Avoid this spurious "service" like the plague and just use Credit Karma. It's free and way, way, way better.

I have had ProtectMyID through AAA for several years now. It's wonderful that I know that something is monitoring my credit and notifying me to make sure that everything is in check but recently I had a situation where I needed their help in resolving a problem. They have a fraud resolution department that they boast will help you and I felt safe knowing that if something came up, they could handle it. Between AAA and ProtectMyID, I pay a lot of money per year for this type of service. I called the fraud resolution department for help with recent activity and all they could do was listen. They ended up patching me over to one of the credit bureaus so that I could handle it with them personally. Was I mistaken to know that they could handle this for me like Discover card does when I have and need fraud resolution with disputes? Apparently so.

What good is a fraud resolution department if they don't resolve fraud for their customers? They are basically sitting there listening to you and then handing you a phone number to call. It's only a form of therapy at first without the help. Everything else they do is great but don't count on their fraud department to help you with anything. They'll give you contacts but they won't resolve a thing on your behalf. That's deceptive because it gave me peace of mind knowing that I could call them like Discover and have them handle it.

I would recommend their customer service to any and everyone. They treated me nicely, and they showed me what real customer service is supposed to be about. I spoke with them without any problems. The cost is beyond affordable. I can't complain at all. To get started, all you need is a dollar. This will get you started with a free-trial. After your free-trial is up, you can cancel or pay a low monthly fee to continue with their services. The way they monitor is incredible. You can and will feel safe with them. They sent me email and postbox notifications, keeping me updated on a daily basis. They have me what I call, Identity Confidence. They are most definitely reliable. Whenever I needed them, to ask a question, they were always there without hesitation. I knew that I could've always counted on them for full support.

They were very quick to respond to me when I had any questions and made the whole process smooth for me. This service was very adequate and was helpful to my needs and did exactly what was said would be done when I signed up for it. It is worth what you pay. I paid a small amount for the service and I think it was a great deal. I think I got a lot more bang for my buck than I expected to get. They updated me any time something seemed fishy on my account and I feel like this service kept anyone from stealing my identity. I would use it again if I felt like I needed it. Very reliable. Never worried if they were going to mess up and if I was going to end up with some type of trouble. It was so easy and very trustworthy to use.

Always there and willing to assist, never needed to investigate but I imagine they would have done a very good job. They were always courteous, attentive and prompt. I would recommend them in a flash. The cost was good for what they do to protect you and your accounts. Very pleased and am glad I was able to reach this service. Good pricing for the length of services they offer. You feel very safe and secure with this company as they are high tech and well aware of how to protect you and your accounts. Very good at what they do. This company is amazing, very up to date and very private and protected when it comes to your accounts and private information.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ProtectMyID?

Should you have any problems at all, the customer service is there for you 24 hours a day. Please do not be afraid if you think your questions are silly to ask because some silly questions can really save you time and money. The cost is actually lower than your top of line services. Same great results and I totally feel comfortable in having this service ProtectMyID. I really feel secure and safe using this service and so will you. Give them a call and check it out for yourself. The best feeling is knowing they care about you. See for yourself and you will not be disappointed. It's like a warm blanket spread out all over you. They are true to their word and rest assured you will sleep like a baby knowing they are there for you and your family. I trust these people and so will you.

I have not had to use their customer service as of yet, but I would think that they would be very helpful in whatever problem or question you may have. This was given to me as a free service from my gas and electric company, as they were compromised and they gave it to their customers in hopes that it would protect them. They send a report each month and note any changes in your account, any inquiries, any new credit card that you may have received. They are very helpful. Very reliable, with their 24 hour monitoring and making note of any compromising activities that may hit you. They will notify you immediately if anything is suspicious.

Very helpful and knowledgeable. They answered my questions and helped me decide which level of protection was right for my needs. Great job, A+ customer service. It is a bit costly but since it offers peace of mind I was okay with paying it. Of course I'd like cheaper but you get what you pay for. Very satisfied. Had a slight mishap when we went out of state and used our credit card. You need to alert them when you're traveling so you're not getting notices when you try to use your credit card outside of your regular purchases. They did what they promise to do. Never had a problem with their reliability. Always available if a question arises, wish more companies were like them.

The company sent me an e-mail regarding a credit report action. The only problem was that their site was down and when I was advised to call their customer care center, they were closed. I won't continue with them. Identity theft protection is too important to waste on this company.

I have a temporary free membership with this company due to a data breach at a college I attended a few years ago. I hoped I would not need the services of this company, but as it turns out, I do. I received a surveillance alert stating that potentially negative information had been added to my credit report. After investigating the alert, I realized it was an account that had already been settled and is now being used against me. I have tried calling ProtectMyID and Experian, but I was unable to get to an actual human. The only options given on the phone are reporting fraud or requesting a security freeze. Because I did not just sign up for this membership, I can't get a copy of my credit report on the website, and it will not allow you to dispute the alert online without purchasing a new credit report. I'm glad I'm not paying for this service. It successfully informed me of a negative hit to my credit, but it gives no options as to how to handle it!

I'd been provided with Protectmyid.com for one year for free as there had been a data theft at Premera Blue Cross in Washington State. Protectmyid is owned by Experian, one of the big three credit agencies. These are the agencies that have so many errors when they report your credit history and fail to remove errors. After going through a major process giving them all my account numbers, I got a monthly notice via email and text that no major changes had occurred. I also got requests to pay for other reports. When I moved and changed all my accounts, that should have triggered a red flag. After all, that's a technique used. They should have checked if I really had. Nope. Guess they don't monitor when all your accounts get changed to a new address.

A few months ago, both American Express and Visa contacted me about suspicious charges. In each case, they removed the charges and provided me with a new card. Thank you! Each month, I continued to get a text saying Protectmyid.com Alert: "There have been no changes to your credit report in the past month. Sign in to www.Protectmyid.com for your credit information." So after that, I emailed them asking them why they hadn't known about the fraudulent use of my card. After all, they should have notified me. They asked me to report it to them so they could get the information. Uhh, why? They should have told me! They seem to get feeds from all the credit card companies about your monthly balance and how much you paid, but they don't get information about fraud on the account?

They say you get what you pay for. My service was paid for by Premera. I think I got less. A reporting company that doesn't know when your accounts change address or have fraud on them is worthless. It's almost fraudulent for them to say they are monitoring things. I could collect money from someone to protect their credit and then do nothing other than send a monthly text. I'm glad I don't rely on this company for protection. It's kind of like getting a bullet-proof vest only to find it was made of toilet paper and offers no protection.

Paying for, and believing you have protection, only to find it offers nothing is worse than having nothing. People are lulled into a belief of safety by a company that makes empty promises to collect money. I have trouble believing I'm the only person with the experience. Though I suffered no problems, my issues are not odd or unique. There must be thousands who have paid them only to find they offer a smokescreen. Seems like those promising to protect you are the ones perpetrating the consumer fraud!

Expert Review

Rob DouglasIdentity Theft Protection Contributing Editor

Rob Douglas is an information security consultant specializing in the investigation and prevention of identity theft and scams. Rob is one of the nation’s leading authorities on the use of social engineering, impersonation, fraud and pretext to steal personal information. For two decades, Rob has assisted the financial services sector, the telecommunications industry, the general business community, government and law enforcement agencies to better understand the scope and methodology of identity crimes through presentations, educational materials, auditing and consultation.    More about Rob→

ProtectMyID is an identity theft company that has its corporate headquarters in Dublin, Ireland. The company belongs to Experian Interactive, and they provide detection and resolution services to customers in need.

• Regular notifications: ProtectMyID uses a surveillance alert notification system to immediately alert users via text or e-mail if there is any suspicious activity regarding their identity. The company will also alert customers when their credit scans are completely clear.
  • Resolution service: The company is dedicated to resolving any issues with identity theft, and they will contact the proper authorities to help get affairs back in order.
  • Insurance: Customers who use ProtectMyID will be provided with a $1 million identity theft insurance policy with a $0 deductible, so that costs are covered should financial damage occur as a result of identity theft.
  • Experian-associated: As one of the three primary credit bureaus, Experian's familiarity with credit reporting and monitoring helps make them a leading expert in identity protection.
  • Lost wallet protection: ProtectMyID offers lost wallet protection, which helps customers who have a lost or stolen wallet cancel and replace their credit and bank debit cards.
  • Best for People who have had personal items or information stolen, people with children who have social security numbers and people who frequently use credit cards.

Compare Identity Theft Protection