Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.82/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Take an Identity Theft Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

ProtectMyID Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ProtectMyID?
        How do I know I can trust these reviews about ProtectMyID?

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

I enjoy having ProtectMyID, but my only complaint is that notifications of changes to my credit report are not sent as quickly as other credit monitoring services that I use. Providing quicker notifications is an area where I feel ProtectMyID can improve on. Otherwise, they're great.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

I do not have any issues so far with this company. I have used them for several years. I feel like the monitoring services are very thorough. They also have good coverage. I do not have much comparison because I have not used other companies.

Original review: April 29, 2020

This isn't the best I'd plan but being on a fixed income it the one I can afford. It really doesn't matter to "protect" my identity but lets me know when I'm hacked & to change my password, etc. I Wish I could afford better plan...

Original review: April 27, 2020

I got this as a part of my AAA membership for free. However, I have been charged $12.95/month for three years now. After a lot of back and forth with the company and AAA nothing has resolved. They beat me down and I have now justified to myself that $12.95/month is not too high a price to pay for protection. I have kept my identity so far! The monthly emails are uninformative and force you to go onto their website. I'd much rather prefer some sort of quantitative summary of my account within the text of the email.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

This is a member's benefit from AAA and it is basic protection with option to upgrade to premium. It was easy to Sign up for and seems thus far to do a good job.

Original review: July 29, 2019

The employees answering the phone when I called to report identity theft earlier this month. He told me no, no, no!! "You don't want to put a freeze on your credit." What?? Of course I want to freeze it so no one takes out credit in my name. Now I have no idea what's happening. I've been locked out of Experian. They said I am not who I say I am. This is terrifying. I need help and nowhere to turn. Hackers are taking over and getting away with their scams!

Original review: April 5, 2019

S.C. TAX COMM. Had a breach. Offered a free year of Experian ProtectMyID to all breached. I had it for 4 family members. Decided to continue with annual billings for over 10 years. Then in October of 2018 they emailed me there would be a price increase of tenfold. I replied I needed to cancel all 4 memberships and gave them the 4 account numbers. All went well...THEN today I see on my credit card statement a annual charge for one of the accounts. I called to be informed I may pay for all four accounts but could only cancel mine. That the one account was still active.

After some follow up questions, like how had I canceled the other 3 then, they agreed they had made a mistake. Would cancel that last account and would refund me a PRORATED refund. So I will have to pay for their mistake. In the scheme of day to day problems, it is my wasted time asking people twice to do what they are supposed to do. And instead of an apology and a refund. I would still have to pay for their mistake. So I will let you judge this. Experian swindled me out of my time, and 9 buck. Hope it was worth it to them...Barry

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I had a yearly subscription for two years. The first year was free because Experian compromised my information. Everyone should remember that this service to protect one's ID came into being because the credit rating agencies continually failed to do so. The outrage over their leaks is why we can do a credit freeze for free. You can get a free Experian credit report with the membership. But you dont need a membership if you just want the credit report, everyone in America is entitled to a free report from each agency on an annual basis. So the only value left in the membership is the insurance. This is identity insurance, the rest of the services are just to lure you in.

There is no free base membership. This is actually very odd because the main competition, Transunion and Equifax, offers a free base membership with their identity protection. The free memberships at other agencies can also send out notifications when there are changes to the credit report. So really, the membership is for INSURANCE.

You cannot delete your credit card information in their account information portal. I called and canceled my membership as soon as I noticed a charge. I did not receive a billing reminder so when I got billed I was not happy. I did not like their call center. I actually had to call twice because they said the "system was down because it was updating." This might be true but it seemed odd to me. Also they do not give reference numbers nor call customers back; this is important because if you call and their system goes down, you have to start all over with a new rep.

This product might be advisable if you want to monitor your credit before getting ready for a large loan or mortgage application. But before going with ProtectMyID, check the coverage of the main competitors; they offer the same services but the insurance coverage varies. If you don't see yourself applying for a loan within the next couple years, just freeze your credit (free) and you wont have to worry about monitoring your identity/credit report.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

The short story: Rude, incompetent, sketchy reps who take your info and you feel more insecure using the service than not. DO NOT USE. Felt like the reps were harvesting personal information. Long Story: Had service through University. Liked it. Renewed service. Logged in as normal. Try to log in a week later, system has no record of me. Call customer service. First representative is rude and chewing while talking. Hang up. Call second representative, she transfers me to another department, who says they have nothing to do with memberships. Call again, pay for membership. Rep asks me if I want password reset. Answer security questions and she sends link. Never get link. Call back, rep asks me more questions, which she says I did not answer correct and I will have to call back in 24 hours. Speak to supervisor and ask to cancel service. Get cancelation email. Ask for refund, told that I was benefiting from services and could not get refund.

Original review: March 10, 2018

Years ago, my information the state had got hacked and they signed me up with a free credit monitoring service... ProtectMyID. When it was up to renew I renewed it and gave them my credit card information. Later, during the great Equifax hack, I switched to another credit monitoring service. Got a notice from ProtectMyID that my account was going to auto-renew, went into the account and there is absolutely no way, aside from the obscure language I was able to find in the contract to cancel. Tried calling and was left on hold for hours, no answer - like WOW, what if I actually needed this damn service, lol!!

The website looks like a complete hack job, if this company is really supposed to be associated with Experian I'd assume they'd be able to hire some decent programmers, right?? So, I've sent them the lengthy notice to please cancel my damn account, but really doubt that will do anything - so I called the bank and told them to refuse payment to them. Please!! Please!! Don't have anything to do with this company - it's stinks to high heaven of a scam. Not like we've had enough of that already right. : (

ProtectMyID Company Information