1.54/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Pentagon Federal Credit Union

Looking for a mortgage lender?

131 Pentagon Federal Credit Union Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I applied for Pen Fed credit card with 0%, to move some balances from my other card (already have one - it was application for second card), my credit is a little down due to some balances, so I got declined, oh well I understand. A few days later I recieved a 25.000 check in the mail from Pen Fed. (Here take it. Pay down cards.) It was a great response from Pen Fed, even though I have to pay interest and it is not too low, but I got all my debt in one and my credit will be up because loans don't affect your debt on the credit as much as credit cards, so as soon as it goes up, I'll have doors open for many options how to save money, refinance and have not much debt.

So gues what, everybody entitle to make profit, keep your credit excellent shape, get low rates and anything you want. Can't keep it up? Pay high rate if you want something. Business is business. You get what you deserve. Me and my husbands are big fans of Pen Fed. I read some reviews and one thing I can say pay bills, so you don't have to pay high rates!!!! Vv.Iv

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

In the 1990s I was 20 years old in the Army and opened a PFCU account since they were there in the building I worked in Northern Va near the Pentagon. This was literally the worst experience ever. I requested a car loan to take advantage of the good loan rates, they quickly denied it and said I did not have enough credit. So I got a new car and the loan through the dealership which was nearly triple the loan APR. I paid on this loan with no late payments for two years. I also had a Good Year credit card and paid off a 1000 general purpose loan I use to buy a PC to help with my college work. So then I was 22 and felt proud of the credit I had built up with 0 loans from PFCU.

One day I applied for the PFCU credit card with the lowest limit, I believe it was $500. They denied the application. They said yes your credit is good but you don’t have much of it yet. Six months later I requested again, and denied again. Same BS explanations from the branch. It was truly unbelievable and surreal. Finally I was 23 and had been with them over three years. I applied to refinance my car and enjoy the better rate and lower car payments. I thought for sure this was finally the time they would approve me. I had been paying on my car nearly three years with no late payments. This new loan would cut my car payment in half.

Naturally, I was denied yet again. I asked to meet with the manager and explained that every time they denied me I was able to get a loan or credit card somewhere else and I paid off a loan early. I asked what the point of being with PFCU was if they would never approve me for anything. Even $500. Talking with him accomplished absolutely nothing. I closed my accounts with them that day and I am happy to say I am with USAA still today. They have never denied me for a single loan. Ever. My credit scores are 800+, I own a house and four automobiles now. It's just strange to me that a bank would exist to serve military members and their families and then deny them anytime they need something. It’s a very odd business model. To this day I would put cash under a mattress before ever putting it in PFCU.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2019

I took a vacation to Iceland this weekend to celebrate 20 years of service in the Department of Defense. I served in the Army and Navy and now Civil Service. I forgot to do the travel notice but I thought I could just call the bank when I landed. I tried all the numbers on the back of my card and to shorten the story none of them worked. I email the bank 8 times because every response gave me a 1-866 number that only allows to do the online services but none lets you do an on the spot travel notification or unblock your credit card due to using in Iceland.

The bottom line is it a disgrace that you can't call the bank when overseas and that the reps don't just use all the identification information from the emails to unblock the card. It is obviously me. Now I have no idea on how to get my luggage home as now Delta charges even for the first bag and it being an international flight. I could have been stranded at the airport if I different have more than one bank but I still don't have enough on that card to get my luggage home. Unreal!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

Terrible interest rates. No one there cares about anything. Disorganized, poor customer service. IRA department cares nothing about your account. I just transferred a IRA CD that matured and they send to the other institution in just a regular envelope. Not an e-mail to me, as to what they have done. No calls, no letters, nothing. Like I didn’t exist. Nasty people in IRA department. Biggest mistake I ever made getting involved with them. I have lost thousands. I recommend stay away from them.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

I would give People need 5 stars for customer service and varied choice of savings and CD accounts and they offer competitive (usually higher than most on line banks) CD 6 months and 1 year rates.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pentagon Federal Credit Union?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

Their support people were great on the phone but then failed to help and follow through on requests on several occasions. It has been next to impossible to get my IRA transferred after 6 weeks of trying..

Original review: July 27, 2019

Don't buy GAP insurance with these guys. You will never get it back partially if you pay your loan off early. Most companies and banks will refund your money when loan is paid off earlier than its original term. These guys Won't after 60 days from original loan date. They will also charge you High interests and insurance Fees if you drop full insurance coverage even if you are not using your car. Stay away if you like headaches. They are a Pain to deal with. Better off with a normal Bank.

Original review: July 22, 2019

You sign in for service other than teller service. However, there’s no REASON FOR VISIT or ARRIVAL TIME on the sheet.... That’s your first clue they are not customer focused. No door on the offices, so we sat in the lobby area listening to an old man giving someone on a speakerphone his personal data. We heard clearly the entire conversation between the two.

We were waiting (30 minutes) to see a notary. When I approached two women employees (both notaries) talking about personal stuff to ask if one of them could help us, one told me curtly that someone would be with us. I responded pleasantly that I understood they were both notaries and that’s what we were waiting for. The one got nasty and said she was busy. A few minutes later another woman came over and called our name. DISGUSTING....UNPROFESSIONAL...run like like it’s in some third world country.

Original review: June 12, 2019

A longtime ardently loyal Penfed customer with 824+, pays cards in full often early each month, never missed any payments due even while on extended distracting trips abroad, yet yesterday & today decided to end a multi-decades primary banking use of this deteriorated institution. Their seemingly backhanded hidden unilateral profit-squeezing actions from, what I firmly believe in my firsthand accounts, the staffing of untrained, incompetent, at least twice outright lying or grossly fabricated & inconsistent query responses by supervisory level staff, has finally pushed me to not hold any sense of trust or honesty in their operations or my fiscal holdings.

I am minimizing then shifting then ending my accounts with PenFed. Perhaps I'll revisit in the future if necessary, but for now, it's a risky prospect for anyone needing a trusted consumer oriented vs unilateral profit making through endless management control changes only communicated to customers who catch them. I want to give all cost/benefits of the doubt latitudes as a cu in a competitive fiscal environment but they proved too costly in time & expense to warrant even measured uses. Watch your nickels, dimes, interest & accounts with these folks as skimming profits are what I've seen them incrementally shift their wily management & bad oversight towards. A great economy for us doesn't translate to greater service or management from Penfed, just the opposite I found after hours over days spent resolving their inept mistakes.

Original review: June 7, 2019

Today, my using PFCU for most of my banking needs has stopped!! First let me state that I have been with PFCU for over "40 years" -- yes, that's right -- 40 years!! Now, in those 40 years I have bought homes, new cars, new boats, vacations and etc.... I always pay off the balance of these charge cards in 30 days and maybe 60 days -- sometimes. My credit score is right at 800. I am taking my granddaughter to Disney in September. I have two Visa credit cards with them. One has a limit of $16,000 the other has a $9,300. I want to use the $9,300 card for the trip. So, I called to extend the limit on the card to $16,000 -- just like the other one. We are only talking about $6,700 more?

They rejected the raising of the limit because -- are you ready for this -- "I have a second person on the charge card"! The second person is my wife of 52 years!! She has been on the card for the 40 years that we have had it!! I talked to two supervisors that state nothing can be done about changing the limit. When I think about all the money they have made off me (and would have made in the future) for over 40 years -- it is mind boggling. If you are even remotely considering using them for "any" banking needs -- run, don't walk to the nearest exit!! Just think, if you join this CU and take out a Visa charge card for let's say $2,000 and 10 years later you decide you want to extend the limit -- if your wife is on the card (let's face it all married people are on the charge cards) -- they will reject it and tell you that you cannot do anything about it!! STUPID!!!

Pentagon Federal Credit Union expert review by Barbara Friedberg

PenFed Credit Union provides financial services and quality customer care to military members, government employees and their families. Established in 1935, PenFed has over 1.4 million members and more than $20 billion in assets.  Their members span the United States and military bases in Puerto Rico, Guam and Okinawa.

• Services and products: The PenFed offerings are tailored to their member population. In addition to typical checking and savings account products, PenFed has a suite of lending offerings for vehicle and home buyers along with personal loans.

• Credit card products: In addition to simple debit and credit cards PenFed has rewards cards and military credit cards.

• Auto loans: The credit union has loans for new, used and refinanced vehicles. Their additional auto loan products include a “payment saver” loan and a car buying service.

• Calculators: To help members take charge of the money, PenFed has a variety of online calculators including mortgage, card comparison, auto loan payment and savings certificate growth calculators.

• Home center: For members seeking to purchase a home, PenFed offers many tools. Their portal includes information for first time home buyers, a home ownership dictionary, rate comparisons as well as loan products.

• Deployment guide: Immediate deployment is a reality of military life. The PenFed site has a complete downloadable guide for deployed members to ease managing financial and life details.

• Financial Hardship Center: The PenFed Credit Union understands that life happens and offers guidance to help its members through tough times with specialized financial-assistance programs.

• Best for: PenFed is ideal for civil servants, government employees, military service personnel and their families.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg