1.59/5
Based on 96 reviews that contain star ratings

104 Pentagon Federal Credit Union Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Have been dealing with PenFed for many years and they always offer top interest rates on their savings accounts. Also get pre approved credit card and loan offers frequently. Money is transferred fast and efficient between other financial institutions.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

What are these negative reviews I am seeing? Pen Fed has been the fairest bank I have dealt with. Customer service is great! It is all how you deal and talk to people. NEVER had one problem. Skip the negative reviews, give PenFed a try, you won't be disappointed!

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I have had numerous issues with PenFed since the 90s! As a single mom, I needed to be on a strict budget and "back then" I thought PenFed was the way to go. WRONG. In the past 10 years I have stressed over what they are doing to me. Just recently, after signing a "WAIVER" in 2017 to delete my flood insurance from escrow... what did they do?? Charged my escrow the flood insurance premium ANYWAY... and sent it to the insurance agency!! When I discovered it... they asked ME to send THEM the money back as it may take 6-8 weeks to get their money back from my flood insurance company.

THEY TOOK THE MONEY FROM MY ESCROW 3 MONTHS IN ADVANCE FROM WHEN THE PREMIUM WAS DUE. This was NOT my error, but Pentagon Federal Credit Union's mistake. My mortgage keeps going up and up and I feel I am contributing to THEIR assets. They are too large, with too many people dealing with our money, and it appears they cannot accurately handle all the accounts they have acquired.

Original review: July 26, 2018

An awful organization who don't care about what you are, all they care about is how much money you have, never again will waste one cent of time towards working with these people, PenFed is the worst credit union and it shows!

Original review: June 22, 2018

I've received a personal loan and two credit cards from PenFed. Process with painless, polite and professional service, and received more funds/credit with Penfed than any of the others. The most highly regarded Corvette dealer in the US highly recommended them to me and he's been dealing ONLY with them for over 20 years. That said, your next car loan should be with Penfed. I don't make anything on this and I'm not related or affiliated with Penfed. I just read the reviews and had an entirely positive experience. Two thumbs way up.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pentagon Federal Credit Union?

Original review: May 26, 2018

Since Pentagon Federal "acquired Valor FCU" customer service is awful and they do not have "real time banking." VERY DISAPPOINTED! Shame because Valor was a Great Credit Union!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

Lost close to 80,000 points on two credit card accounts that I've had open for 10 years. Despite showing that the vice president a card services clearly indicated in 2010 there were "no limitations" on points earned in the accounts, PenFed put wiggle words in their agreement that they expire points yet failed to document this on statements, your accounts page in on my banking, or through online banking messaging. No one else in the credit card industry that I can find expires points on credit cards. No credit unions, no banks, new brokerage houses - except PenFed. Hell, the only loyalty program I can't even find that expires points is Wyndham. And those are loyalty programs, not credit card points.

I had a mortgage with PenFed for nine years, no issues with that. The minute I bring up objections to PenFed having absorbed with no notification almost all the points on my credit card accounts, their executive offices pretty much extend a big middle finger. Basically they're happy to take tens of thousands of dollars in interest income from you for your mortgage, but they're unwilling to provide you actionable information regarding the points on your credit card account in even though it's only a couple of hundred dollars (or in my case close to 1000), they refuse to work with the customer. I expect this from a big bank but in all honesty I've never even had a big bank do this to me.

If you have a rebate card, great you're probably OK. You have a points card... at any point in time I wouldn't expect those points to be in the account anymore because they play way too fast and lose IMO and don't even follow what are clearly industry standards on how this is handled. You're probably better off just putting a couple hundred dollars in cryptocurrencies.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

PenFed has probably the worst customer service. They put you on hold and leave you in the abyss for well over 20 minutes. They don't disclose their policies easily and even when they tell you a policy, such as ability to use one credit report as long as it is within 90 days, after 60 days they want another one. If you open a savings account the only way to transfer money out within the first 6 months is via wire transfer which could cost you as much as $60 depending on what your other bank charges.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

We have had a mortgage with PenFed for nearly 3 years and it has been the most cumbersome account. My husband and I own the home together and both of our names are on the loan, but for whatever reason, they opened the associated savings account under just his name. We don't use the savings account for anything, they just required it to be opened in order to have the mortgage with them. They obviously set it up wrong, since everything else is under both of our names, but they made an error and set up that portion under just his name. I still have to send in a check by mail every single month because we have not been able to set up online access with them. You have to have the member number in order to set up online access, but we never received a member number from them and we don't use the account so we have no need for a member number.

When I call, they refuse to talk to me without a PIN and they won't issue us a new PIN because I am "not on the account" and therefore I'm not authorized to request that they issue us a new PIN. They will only talk to my husband, and every time he has tried to call we can't get anyone on the phone. It's such a ridiculous process and it doesn't seem to matter how many managers we have talked to, no one will listen to reason and look at the fact that I'm on the mortgage and should have every right to set up payment of said mortgage. They also take forever to deposit our checks, which is very odd and unprofessional for a financial institution. It is currently the 16th of January and they still haven't cashed a check that they received on 1/5/18. If we could move our mortgage without losing our rate I definitely would.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

I've been with PFCU since the mid-90s; over 20 years. During that time, I have had 3 car loans and 2 mortgages with them - the rates are very competitive with cut-rate lenders who provide little or no service. PFCU Customer Service has always been there when I needed them, and never had an issue with account lockouts, etc., as described by other folks. Being the largest credit union in the world has advantages, too. Never had a problem accessing and using my PFCU cards and accounts overseas, and the exchange rate is better than what I could get with the money exchangers. Unless things change dramatically, I will continue to use PFCU as my primary financial institution. BTW - the PFCU website is very easy to use for billing paying, account information, requesting loans, and seeing what products PFCU offers.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I have had multiple problems with the Pentagon Federal Credit Union and have experience terrible customer service while trying to resolve them. The last problem involved the bill payment service that resulted in a late fee because the credit union customer service could not resolve the problem. I spoke with five different people in two days and finally paid the bill with a credit card and I am closing the accounts I opened with Pentagon Federal. I do not recommend this credit union.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I was harassed by a female customer care representative, she felt personal about my account and notarized copies of my documents. Just got my account opened few months ago. I am in Delaware on a trip. I used my atm debit card multiple times and in that effect I my card was locked which is weird to me, I even got an automated call from PenFed asking me if I authorized the withdrawal on my card and I said yes. I called PenFed and asked about my locked atm debit card and I was told I needed to send in some notarized copies of my ID's and utility bill which I did, I called back some hours later to know if they got the documents and some lady harassed me saying I don’t own the account, she was a ** on the phone and she even called back to harass me the more which sounded weird. I am still in shock right now if this is the way they treat their customer. I need and demand an apology and my card unlocked. Thanks.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

Horrible customer service on the phone, got impatient and hung up. Kept putting me on hold without telling me she was putting me on hold. Very upset with the way they handle customers through the phone. Impatient and rude, I don’t recommend even trying to apply here. It’s not worth anything.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I've been with them for years. Any problems were taken care of immediately. Like their military 2% cash back on their Credit Card. Got rapid pre-approval on a potential car loan. Will have my daughter, who just graduated from USAF Basic Training, join.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

I have been a member of PenFed for several years and service over the phone nearly always been good (one exception was a car loan and an estate account that I will not bother to go into except to say PenFed will tell you one thing and then when it's crunch time says "we didn't say that.") Most recently I submitted a payoff request for a personal loan when I had the funds to pay it off. I noticed on the online provided payoff that it included an amount for credit insurance. I did not want credit insurance when I opened the loan and I did not sign the line to accept it on the promissory note.

PenFed sent me two follow-up forms to sign for the credit insurance. I shredded the first and called on the second to say I didn't want it. Person said they would notate my account. Fast forward a little over a year later. Since I opened my loan, PenFed has charged me over $630 for credit insurance that I did not authorize. I called PenFed the day I received the payoff information. Young man put me on hold and came back to say "well, you signed the promissory note." I couldn't find my copy so I asked for one to be mailed the following week. Received it and yep, I did not sign the line for credit insurance. I called this morning to tell PenFed that they owed me the over $630 for overcharges that I did not authorize. Waiting to hear back from them. This experience (young kid obviously could not read a promissory note) and reading the other comments here make me wonder what has happened at PenFed?

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I am a US Veteran with a major health related disability. I have had a long relationship with PenFed; close to 20 years. The last 6 months I have been struggling financially due to several unforeseen circumstances and PenFed has went to town on me in unpaid overdraft fees, nearly $400. I have been rebated once, which I am grateful for even though I was given a hard time about it. The fees are excessive and have made my already difficult situation more frustrating. I had money in another account but they never cared enough to call or do a courtesy transfer. I Called 1-800-247-5626 today but I waited over 30+ minutes only to get disconnected; see pic below. Very disappointed! "Our long-standing mission has been to provide superior financial services in a cost-effective manner, while being responsive to members’ needs." Far from superior. Effectively places the cost on their members/customers. Barely responsive.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I opened an account with $5. They gave me a tiny credit limit with a $500 credit score. After 2 months I asked for an increase. They asked for my tax returns. Within 1 hour they offered me a $20000 limit and now I keep $30000 in 2 accounts with them that pay more interest than most 1 year CDs. They also have great mortgage rates. My plan is to use them for my mortgage. I have never had a problem with them.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

I only created this account to write this review. Reason being, I just accidentally stumbled over a web link that showed review after review of negative comments or ratings towards my bank PenFed. I am shocked and amazed. About me: I am a retired disabled Veteran. I've served in two wars and would go to a third one if my country called on me.

I only mention this because in the past I’ve banked with several banks, the last one before PenFed was for over 9 years. It was a large nationally known bank that treated me like garbage. I paid my bills on time, I never asked for anything from that bank. Ever! Then one day after all those years of banking with them, I wanted a credit card, not a large amount cc, just a credit card from that nationally known - well commercialized on TV, bank.They rejected me. RIDICULOUS!! That's the thanks I got for all those years of banking with them. Now I know my FICO score wasn't the highest, but it wasn't the lowest either. Still, some thanks.

Then I read about PenFed on one of my Veteran's forums. Boy am I glad. They have changed and enhanced my life immensely... more than my words can EVER express. I had never heard of them before now. I called them up and WOW! They were AWESOME to me on the phone. (Even with my rejected mediocre credit score that that popular well nationally known bank didn't like.) Hands down. One of the best experiences I've ever had with a bank or business for that matter.

I opened a checking account with them right then on the phone... with $5 in it. That was over two years ago. Now, they now own my ** Dodge Ram loan, I have an AWESOME credit card with them with an AWESOME credit limit... AND with an incredible low APR. They have my savings account, AND my two personal loans. They are the kind of bank that if I call them up on the phone and tell them I need a loan for something, they simply say, the checks in the mail. I love them!!

I'm getting ready to refinance my new Harley Davidson motorcycle with them... sorry Harley Davidson Finance, your finance manager was hot, but my PenFed treats me way better. (I only promised her I'd keep the loan with y'all for a few months anyways... but then I'd be refinancing with my bank, PenFed, just to get that AWESOME great price on my new Street Glide that you gave me. Thank you for that! She knew... so I don't feel bad but damn she smelt good!)

Anyways, I'm a guy, but if PenFed said have my baby... hell... I'd find a way for a guy to have a baby and I'd have it for them. I really do love this bank and all - ALL of its employees. Funny part is, I've never EVER stepped foot into any of its branches. Never ever met one of its employees. All of my transactions have been over the phone or over the internet. They treat me like a king too!! I am very grateful.

So you see when I come across a web link bad mouthing my bank it disturbs me greatly. It frigging perturbs the hell out of me actually. Hence, the reason I created this account with ConsumerAffairs, and am writing this review and sharing my experience with my bank, PenFed. My opinion after reading those folks' negative reviews and them bad mouthing my bank, is those folks don't really have their personal finances in check. Probably no honor either.

If you're an honorable hard working decent person, who's the type of man or woman, who when you give your word to someone or shake their hand on a deal, by God it's a deal. You pay your bills on time and you honor your commitments. If you're that type of person, PenFed is your kind of bank. I highly recommend them.

Especially if you're a Veteran, LEO, or Emergency Medical Services personnel. It seems to me that PenFed knows and appreciates the kind of person it takes to have selfless service and sacrifices, and rewards us for being that type of person. I hope my bank can help you and you will write an awesome review praising PenFed as well. Once again, I highly recommend my bank, Penfed. PenFed is hands down the BEST bank I've ever dealt with in my life.

Original review: July 18, 2017

I called to have money transferred from my Wells Fargo acct to Pen Fed. After a week and payment had not came out of Wells Fargo I called Pen Fed and the CSR stated that the last person doing my transaction had transposed a number. At this time the rep says I will refund late fee and do transaction again. Well he refunded late fee after trashing his co-worker but failed to post payment again. After calling 5 times and holding for over 30 minutes each time we got payment resolved. Then they put a manual hold on dep that had returned in their error and caused another return. Worse place I have ever done business with. Closing acct today!!!

Do not put a checking acct with them. Today I pull up my acct and they have posted someone else’s transactions to my acct!!! Again I have been on hold twice for over 30 minutes. They really need to train their employees better and they need more help, they are always short staffed. Be careful if you call in a payment. Every time I have it has posted wrong or they stick it in your savings and it doesn't get posted.

Original review: June 26, 2017

Purchased a new truck and had it financed with PenFed due to the low interest rate. I finally received a statement online to pay my first payment, however it does not have an account number or address. I managed to get one person on the phone after calling for nearly a week and they could not discuss my account without a pin. They mailed me a PIN number to use when I call. Now I have the pin and can't get anyone on the phone to get my "member" number so I can pay by car payment. My payment will most likely be past due by the time I get someone back on the phone. I also emailed about 2 weeks ago and have yet to receive a reply. This is a joke!!! Will never be using them again for anything!

Original review: June 19, 2017

During the past four months, I have been dealing with PenFed on a refinance, line of credit and making a wire transfer. First it is very difficult to reach PenFed and at times even the main line is busy. If you get though, it can take 10 to 20 minutes to reach a representative. The mortgage representative was very good and after about 100 emails over two months, the mortgage was approved May 11, 2017. However, the process was very, very cumbersome. I then applied for a small line of credit. This was a horrible process. PenFed had all of my documentation from the mortgage application but kept requesting documentation they already had over and over. It is now June 19, 2017 and it still has not been approved.

Lastly, I requested wire transfer from my PenFed IRA account that is typically overnight but got all screwed up. Initially I was told it was sent out on Wednesday, then on Friday and today they said it went out on Thursday morning. I needed it to get to my other IRA agency by today or pay taxed on the roll over. They are now contacting the federal agency that handles wire transfers to see where it is. Some of the representatives were very helpful but in my opinion considerable work needs to be done on the systems for processing mortgages, lines of credit, wire transfers, etc. Many, many hours and much frustration!!!

Original review: June 19, 2017

I was on the phone with PFCU for approximately 35 minutes try to get a skip pay. The first lady I talked passed me on to someone else. The next person I talked has me on the hold for approximately 10 minutes the first? Then put me on hold for another 5 minutes and then she passed me on to someone else. Then this lady had me on the phone for a while telling me I was close too on the date and she needs to talk to someone else, I stop her right there. The skip pay was for only 148.00. They has no problem in the past. I have been with PFCU for 33 years and this has never happen. Very dissatisfied!

Original review: May 31, 2017

From day one I've been dealing with a lady by the name of Judy **. It's hard for her to answer any of my questions. She tell me one then days later it's something different. All I'm trying to do is understand what I'm doing, the type of mortgage I'm getting & the amount I need to finance with my down payment & she can't do that. She had the nerve to tell me ("I have 40 another customers I'm dealing with,") like my money & credit isn't good enough & don't matter. Really??? Maybe mortgage loan people or dealing with too many customers at one time. Not fair to the next person like me??? Supposed to be a great experience buying a house. Not this one, the worst. This not my first buying a home this my first financing one... This company will lose a lot of business because of nasty attitude & being rude to the customers. That's not how a company support to do business. My first & last time dealing PenFed for anything.

Original review: May 23, 2017

Pentagon Federal closed my credit card when I was not late, and was paying on time. They said it was because my credit rating had fallen, and they had no information about what they were talking about.

Original review: May 13, 2017

PenFed is described as very bad business. My experience with PenFed Credit Union was awful, unprofessional, several lost documents, given incorrect fax numbers and nothing but lies told to me...many apologies. I would never ever recommend this credit union. They recommend that I apply with joint and then faxed documents more than three times as well as emailed twice as many... Still couldn't locate documents then get e-mail from chief executive officer K.L. Myers stating that we need certain documents. I called to find out the decision wasn't good but all this time wasted on sending document after document for eight days when it only takes 24 to 48 hours for a decision... LETS JUST SAY PFCU IS BAD NEWS TO DO BUSINESS WITH AND I'M GLAD TO KNOW NOT TO GIVE THEM MY BUSINESS! Even after I've been told a decision I'm still receiving emails saying my application is still being processed...lol. Worst Credit Union ever. - RISING INVESTOR

Original review: May 3, 2017

Retired, my wife and I have credit scores over 800. Minimum debt. Applied for pre-approval. Complied with all paperwork requirements and offered to withdraw more money monthly from savings to boost income if necessary, as we are able to live off little and leave our retirement funds alone. Told to just reduce loan amount request. Offered to put down 50% of purchase price. Denied! Then the clown asks, didn't I say I could increase my income? He resubmitted but I was told too much time had elapsed. Lesson learned - Don't conduct important business with near minimum wage call center employees or businesses that would ask you to.

Original review: April 17, 2017

For the past 1 and 1/2 hour I dialed 8002475626 in vain. First is busy and then automatically cut off after few rings. Though I have in the past accomplished much when a representative talked to me, ** trying to call to no avail overshadows past good experience. TEAM PenFed: wake up your employees! Yes... 800 numbers can be busy but one and half hour is unacceptable! Never been so frustrated... And I sent an email, still no answer.

Original review: March 2, 2017

In January 2008, my husband and I bought what was to be our retirement home. In May we refinanced our primary residence to get some equity out. In August my husband died. I kept up with the mortgage payments on both homes until 2010 when I decided I had to let the retirement home go. After having the house on the market for a year with no offers, I asked PenFed for a Deed In Lieu (a quit claim deed in lieu of foreclosure). They denied my request. When they had difficulty in the title search as part of the foreclosure process, they had the audacity to ask for my help, which would have meant hiring (and paying) an attorney. I said no. They said that if I did, they would "reconsider" my request for a deed in lieu. Notice reconsider, not approve. I declined.

They foreclosed in 2012. I had moved out of my primary residence in 2009 and rented it out. The tenants destroyed my home. I put it on the market in 2012 but got no offers at a fair market value. I asked PenFed to approve a short sale for $25K less than what I owed. They said that if I gave them $20K they would approve it. If I'd had $20K I wouldn't need to ask for a short sale!! They foreclosed in 2014. And I had thought working with a credit union would be a more personal experience than a bank or mortgage company. Ha! Joke's on me.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

I became a member with PENFED back on or about October 10. I opened one checking account, one saving, a car loan and a credit card. I setup my account to receive my payroll from the place I just to worked. On or about November 10 I receive a phone call from their fraud department a guys name "Alex" unprofessional person. Starting asking questions that how get my money from the place I worked? I explain him my fund are the works I was done. Then Alex stated that he is going to returning all my fund back to the payroll services, but I did not agree on that two days later I received a letter stated that everything was resolved in my favor. But the following day the Alex disregarded the letter from his own coworker and returned the money back. Since that day all became personal from Alex.

Then I decided to trade my vehicle and the BMW dealership send them a cashier check to pay off the car but Alex decided to hold their check. Not only that went I trying to pay my credit his keeping refusing my payment, with the only reason to screw my credit. Even more when I asked to talk to their manager they keeping refusing the call, so I did send them several email but never answered. Not matter what, think twice before open or became a member with this credit union.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2016

The experience setting up a new account is completely insane. You won't be able to transfer money in online for 6 months. Transfers in are restricted to $50 which you have to do over the phone and you're not able to create a checking account either. On top of this asinine situation which you're stuck with for 6 months, their website and app experience are absolutely terrible as well. The worst part is that NONE of this is disclosed upfront. Wouldn't touch this steaming pile of garbage with a 10 ft pole.

Pentagon Federal Credit Union expert review by Barbara Friedberg

PenFed Credit Union provides financial services and quality customer care to military members, government employees and their families. Established in 1935, PenFed has over 1.4 million members and more than $20 billion in assets.  Their members span the United States and military bases in Puerto Rico, Guam and Okinawa.

• Services and products: The PenFed offerings are tailored to their member population. In addition to typical checking and savings account products, PenFed has a suite of lending offerings for vehicle and home buyers along with personal loans.

• Credit card products: In addition to simple debit and credit cards PenFed has rewards cards and military credit cards.

• Auto loans: The credit union has loans for new, used and refinanced vehicles. Their additional auto loan products include a “payment saver” loan and a car buying service.

• Calculators: To help members take charge of the money, PenFed has a variety of online calculators including mortgage, card comparison, auto loan payment and savings certificate growth calculators.

• Home center: For members seeking to purchase a home, PenFed offers many tools. Their portal includes information for first time home buyers, a home ownership dictionary, rate comparisons as well as loan products.

• Deployment guide: Immediate deployment is a reality of military life. The PenFed site has a complete downloadable guide for deployed members to ease managing financial and life details.

• Financial Hardship Center: The PenFed Credit Union understands that life happens and offers guidance to help its members through tough times with specialized financial-assistance programs.

• Best for: PenFed is ideal for civil servants, government employees, military service personnel and their families.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg