1.55/5
Based on 104 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

112 Pentagon Federal Credit Union Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

“BE WARE DO NOT BE DECEIVED BY THE LOW APR AND SWEET TALK DURING APPLICATION PROCESS”. 1, Customer service: they all have one answer for the entire Question? "We can’t provide that information at this time". 2, Managers never available and by chance you get them they will also have The same answer which is “we can’t provide that information at this time”. 3, Managers or the customer service people will not bring the credit reporting Department on line and they will simply use any excuses they can’t to waste your time until you disconnected the line.

4, By chance we file a dispute with credit bureau only then they would do something and even in that point they will buy as much time they can to update any information and some time it can take up to 120 days and still find any reason to make simple mistake so that report won’t be right after all. 5, they will steal any leftover money on any account and will not send us a check unless you ask for it. Even if you do they will take the sweet time to send it back. It can take up to 90 days or more.

6, over all, Pentagon federal credit Union one of the lowest to the lowest services bank I have ever work with yet I have over 62 Credit card in my credit file and I have all them in good standing but pen fed visa card. 7, At last, while I was letting one of the manager know about the consumer act of credit reporting law he said “we don’t care about that. We do what we do. If you not happy with that do what you can". Don’t ever do any business with pen fed as they are very bad company...

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

They have been approved transaction that I have nothing to do with it. I have give them a police report, they're telling me my money will be refunded to my account. This was from 2018 and I'm still waiting for someone to respond to my email or phone call. No one do anything for clarifying that issue, they pass the ball one to another. No one has explained to me how my account was negative more than 2,000 dollar from a debit card without a Visa or Mastercard logo. This card was used just for ATM machine and my balance was just 1,200 in that time. Now I'm paying back 4,800 in a negative balance and I'm still waiting for them to give me an explanation.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

Tried several times to reach a representative on the phone. Wait time 20-30 minutes each time. I also emailed my frustration along with my contact information. I received an email reply that “a representative would be contacting you shortly“. Three days later, still have not been contacted by PenFed Representative. Very bad “Customer Service”! I was trying to open an account but, I will not trust an institution like this with my hard earned money. I travel a lot, I’m very fortunate I found out how bad PenFed is while I’m still stateside. I will definitely look elsewhere. Only reason for 1 star is you must add a rating. “0” would be my official rating.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

Holy crap. They make it hard! Short version is they wouldn't accept my application online. Kept telling me the issue was fixed. Finally bothered to look into it, then told me I needed to apply via paper but never would answer my question about why, even when I told them the "why" would determine whether it was worth my time. Yeah, it definitely wasn't. Crappy customer service.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

My parents have an account with PenFed. A joint account. My mother passed away last month. My father told them about my mother's passing so they froze the account. His retirement and social security are deposited in this account. Isn't a joint account jointly owned? When my father told me of this today and I am furious. I feel this is an illegal maneuver by PenFed and just plain bad form. I told my father to call the State he lives in and file a complaint with the State Attorney. PenFed, you just might be fined for your actions. Shame on you. My father is 81 years old.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pentagon Federal Credit Union?

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

PenFed is very difficult to work with. They screwed me out of points on a new credit card promotion. And you can never talk with someone. They only will email you. Very disappointing experience. Not happy with their customer service.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Absolutely the worst experience in my life dealing with anything related to a mortgage or loan. After applying for a home equity loan and being harassed to supply documents that I've already given them and explained things over and over again, for days on end, they just keep asking for more of the same documents and for me compile more letters of explanation for everything under the sun. After more days of frustration, I gladly withdrew my application. I do not recommend Pentagon Federal Credit Union for anything.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

The loan was paid off and waited for my title in the mail, but never came. When called, I was told they already mailed it out a few weeks ago. When asked if they can trace it, and they said no. They sent out in regular mail. They told me to go to DMV and get a replacement title on my own cost. Nice!! Will never do business with this company again. Stay away!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Have been dealing with PenFed for many years and they always offer top interest rates on their savings accounts. Also get pre approved credit card and loan offers frequently. Money is transferred fast and efficient between other financial institutions.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

What are these negative reviews I am seeing? Pen Fed has been the fairest bank I have dealt with. Customer service is great! It is all how you deal and talk to people. NEVER had one problem. Skip the negative reviews, give PenFed a try, you won't be disappointed!

Pentagon Federal Credit Union expert review by Barbara Friedberg

PenFed Credit Union provides financial services and quality customer care to military members, government employees and their families. Established in 1935, PenFed has over 1.4 million members and more than $20 billion in assets.  Their members span the United States and military bases in Puerto Rico, Guam and Okinawa.

• Services and products: The PenFed offerings are tailored to their member population. In addition to typical checking and savings account products, PenFed has a suite of lending offerings for vehicle and home buyers along with personal loans.

• Credit card products: In addition to simple debit and credit cards PenFed has rewards cards and military credit cards.

• Auto loans: The credit union has loans for new, used and refinanced vehicles. Their additional auto loan products include a “payment saver” loan and a car buying service.

• Calculators: To help members take charge of the money, PenFed has a variety of online calculators including mortgage, card comparison, auto loan payment and savings certificate growth calculators.

• Home center: For members seeking to purchase a home, PenFed offers many tools. Their portal includes information for first time home buyers, a home ownership dictionary, rate comparisons as well as loan products.

• Deployment guide: Immediate deployment is a reality of military life. The PenFed site has a complete downloadable guide for deployed members to ease managing financial and life details.

• Financial Hardship Center: The PenFed Credit Union understands that life happens and offers guidance to help its members through tough times with specialized financial-assistance programs.

• Best for: PenFed is ideal for civil servants, government employees, military service personnel and their families.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg