1.43/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Pentagon Federal Credit Union

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Pentagon Federal Credit Union Reviews

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

Well this bank tops the charts for the worst customer service I have ever received in my life. One star does cover it. Waited about a month for a replacement debit card as I watch my cash sit in a bank I can’t access. There should be laws against this. Think twice before using this bank. You’ll be talking to them about problems more than you’d like.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

For three days straight I have called PenFed Credit Union to get information on a HELOC Program and each time I am told that all the loan officers are busy and because my call is important they will forward my information on to the mortgage department and they will call me back as soon as possible. In three days I have yet to receive a call from any mortgage officer.

In other attempts to get in contact with them I went on their website to the HELOC page and selected to apply for a HELOC. It asked me my name and contact information and that was it. The first time I received a call back a few hours later from a lady asking me if I was indeed interested in getting a HELOC loan. I said yes and she said< "Great. Unfortunately all of our mortgage people are busy...blah, blah, blah..." After telling her I've heard this the past few days and have never received a call she said she was sorry and she would "expedite" my information to get a call back quickly. It never happened.

Today I both filled out the form again to apply and I called in and wouldn't you know it was the same response once again. I told the lady I'm sick of this and all she could say was, "Oh well we are swamped." BS, they are not swamped. They apparently just don't want new business. It sounds like they are working out of a garage or something. I advise all to stay away from this poor excuse for a credit union.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

Pentagon Federal Credit Union has changed for the worse. The customer service of simply deplorable!!! They’re extremely rude, and insensitive to the customer needs. I’ve been calling for two weeks to determine why they’re NOT receiving my loan payments from my banking institution. However they’re the least helpful! My banking institution shows paid but of course PenFed can’t assist; they have various PO Boxes so maybe some of the issues are the damn boxes. My loan will not be into week three showing LATE and more than likely they’ll send out to the credit report. I’m in tears dealing with PenFed and I’m working to loans from them to my other credit union in an effort to continue holding a very good credit rating. I’m working on a story trying to sale it to the media who will hopefully investigate this institution; it should be CLOSED PERMANENTLY!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

I am moving back to the US from an overseas assignment. Got my orders, ready to purchase new car and potentially a new home. In order to check rates and potentially use PFCU, I applied for their membership. They state they will do a "credit check" to open a membership (just like other banks); however, they do NOT clarify that it is a HARD PULL. Every other bank I have dealt with (USAA, NFCU, BOA, CHASE, etc) DO NOT do hard pulls to join their bank. I DID NOT apply for any of PFCU's loans. I called their customer service rep and her supervisor, and the explanation they gave me was that it was a requirement by the Patriot Act. What a Joke. No other bank does it but they are required to do so? So, thanks to them, now I will potentially lose lots of money for having a horrible APR with multiple hits on my credit. Thanks for serving your customer base Pentagon Federal Credit Union. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I applied for Pen Fed credit card with 0%, to move some balances from my other card (already have one - it was application for second card), my credit is a little down due to some balances, so I got declined, oh well I understand. A few days later I recieved a 25.000 check in the mail from Pen Fed. (Here take it. Pay down cards.) It was a great response from Pen Fed, even though I have to pay interest and it is not too low, but I got all my debt in one and my credit will be up because loans don't affect your debt on the credit as much as credit cards, so as soon as it goes up, I'll have doors open for many options how to save money, refinance and have not much debt.

So gues what, everybody entitle to make profit, keep your credit excellent shape, get low rates and anything you want. Can't keep it up? Pay high rate if you want something. Business is business. You get what you deserve. Me and my husbands are big fans of Pen Fed. I read some reviews and one thing I can say pay bills, so you don't have to pay high rates!!!! Vv.Iv

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pentagon Federal Credit Union?

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

In the 1990s I was 20 years old in the Army and opened a PFCU account since they were there in the building I worked in Northern Va near the Pentagon. This was literally the worst experience ever. I requested a car loan to take advantage of the good loan rates, they quickly denied it and said I did not have enough credit. So I got a new car and the loan through the dealership which was nearly triple the loan APR. I paid on this loan with no late payments for two years. I also had a Good Year credit card and paid off a 1000 general purpose loan I use to buy a PC to help with my college work. So then I was 22 and felt proud of the credit I had built up with 0 loans from PFCU.

One day I applied for the PFCU credit card with the lowest limit, I believe it was $500. They denied the application. They said yes your credit is good but you don’t have much of it yet. Six months later I requested again, and denied again. Same BS explanations from the branch. It was truly unbelievable and surreal. Finally I was 23 and had been with them over three years. I applied to refinance my car and enjoy the better rate and lower car payments. I thought for sure this was finally the time they would approve me. I had been paying on my car nearly three years with no late payments. This new loan would cut my car payment in half.

Naturally, I was denied yet again. I asked to meet with the manager and explained that every time they denied me I was able to get a loan or credit card somewhere else and I paid off a loan early. I asked what the point of being with PFCU was if they would never approve me for anything. Even $500. Talking with him accomplished absolutely nothing. I closed my accounts with them that day and I am happy to say I am with USAA still today. They have never denied me for a single loan. Ever. My credit scores are 800+, I own a house and four automobiles now. It's just strange to me that a bank would exist to serve military members and their families and then deny them anytime they need something. It’s a very odd business model. To this day I would put cash under a mattress before ever putting it in PFCU.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2019

I took a vacation to Iceland this weekend to celebrate 20 years of service in the Department of Defense. I served in the Army and Navy and now Civil Service. I forgot to do the travel notice but I thought I could just call the bank when I landed. I tried all the numbers on the back of my card and to shorten the story none of them worked. I email the bank 8 times because every response gave me a 1-866 number that only allows to do the online services but none lets you do an on the spot travel notification or unblock your credit card due to using in Iceland.

The bottom line is it a disgrace that you can't call the bank when overseas and that the reps don't just use all the identification information from the emails to unblock the card. It is obviously me. Now I have no idea on how to get my luggage home as now Delta charges even for the first bag and it being an international flight. I could have been stranded at the airport if I different have more than one bank but I still don't have enough on that card to get my luggage home. Unreal!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

Terrible interest rates. No one there cares about anything. Disorganized, poor customer service. IRA department cares nothing about your account. I just transferred a IRA CD that matured and they send to the other institution in just a regular envelope. Not an e-mail to me, as to what they have done. No calls, no letters, nothing. Like I didn’t exist. Nasty people in IRA department. Biggest mistake I ever made getting involved with them. I have lost thousands. I recommend stay away from them.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

I would give People need 5 stars for customer service and varied choice of savings and CD accounts and they offer competitive (usually higher than most on line banks) CD 6 months and 1 year rates.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

Their support people were great on the phone but then failed to help and follow through on requests on several occasions. It has been next to impossible to get my IRA transferred after 6 weeks of trying..

Pentagon Federal Credit Union expert review by Barbara Friedberg

PenFed Credit Union provides financial services and quality customer care to military members, government employees and their families. Established in 1935, PenFed has over 1.4 million members and more than $20 billion in assets.  Their members span the United States and military bases in Puerto Rico, Guam and Okinawa.

• Services and products: The PenFed offerings are tailored to their member population. In addition to typical checking and savings account products, PenFed has a suite of lending offerings for vehicle and home buyers along with personal loans.

• Credit card products: In addition to simple debit and credit cards PenFed has rewards cards and military credit cards.

• Auto loans: The credit union has loans for new, used and refinanced vehicles. Their additional auto loan products include a “payment saver” loan and a car buying service.

• Calculators: To help members take charge of the money, PenFed has a variety of online calculators including mortgage, card comparison, auto loan payment and savings certificate growth calculators.

• Home center: For members seeking to purchase a home, PenFed offers many tools. Their portal includes information for first time home buyers, a home ownership dictionary, rate comparisons as well as loan products.

• Deployment guide: Immediate deployment is a reality of military life. The PenFed site has a complete downloadable guide for deployed members to ease managing financial and life details.

• Financial Hardship Center: The PenFed Credit Union understands that life happens and offers guidance to help its members through tough times with specialized financial-assistance programs.

• Best for: PenFed is ideal for civil servants, government employees, military service personnel and their families.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg