1.59/5

397 Navy Federal Credit Union Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

A company called WWW.TOTALAV.COM charged my debit card for $119.95 on 10/09/18, this transaction never happened in any way. I called over 30 times this past week and your representative I spoke to at the intro of everything turned everything around and cancelled my debit card, I was unsatisfied with that decision without him seeking my approval before doing that, that consequently led into something else and he froze my account, your representative froze my only bank account on a payday after my employer paid and that was last Friday.

Today is 10/12/18 and it's another Friday, I got paid into this bank account and it's froze and it's my only bank account. I want this to be here for record purpose. I'm here and I have rights, as a 37 year old man I don't need any bank representative to ditch out instructions to me on when I need to use the money I already earned working back breaking jobs. See you in court.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

This review is specifically about needing technical support for online banking. Every time I go into a branch everyone is fantastic. For a company as big as Navy Federal, technical support for online problems is the worst I have ever dealt with. I originally could not access my account through the desktop computer version. I called technical support to see if they could look into the problem. The representative stated that we needed to reset my password. I quickly learned that the only procedure the technical support knew is to reset a password.

After spending one hour and ten minutes on the phone with the technician, I can not log in to any of my online information. I explained to the representative that I had tried to use Safari, Chrome, Mozilla, Edge, and Explorer and had the same problem on them all. Every time I fill out all of the information for a new password it just says sorry technical difficulties, please try again later. The technician told me to try and visit a branch and he would put in service ticket and I would hear something in 2-5 business days.

I went to the branch today and the women who helped me in the branch were fantastic. Two representatives tried to help me get technical assistance to with no luck. After 45 minutes spent on the phone with a technicians while at the branch I was once again told nothing they could do. I don't understand how Navy Federal doesn't have a technical support representative that I can talk to, that know how to do anything more than a password reset.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

This bank is not here for active, reserves, or vets!!! I have had a payment arrangement set up for my credit line to be paid. This pay period I decided to go with direct deposit from work since I have been getting paper checks. I looked in my account and the loans charge recovery department decided to take more than $1000 from my checking and post it to my credit line, WITHOUT MY PERMISSION. This is the 2nd time this has happened. Regardless of the amount this is happened 1 time too many. If I have a payment set up there should not be a reason why any amount other than specified and agreed upon should be taken out without notifying your members.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I needed an emergency loan and they gave it to me. I asked for more than I needed knowing how they counter offer... They gave me the entire $6k! I applied for the cc a year later with a 10k limit! Holy smokes they are too generous. I allowed my daughter to join and I recommend to join and never miss a payment. They totally take care of you.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Paid $500 for appraisal and home was valued at 426,000 and mind you I owe $250,000 and have good credit. The process was like pulling teeth, most of the time no responses to document submission, emails or phone calls. In fact my processor went on vacation for 2 weeks and never followed up nor did anyone else. Treated me as a nonentity. Now want me to do $10,000 for repairs that existed when I bought this home through them and it was perfectly fine to secure a $20,000 loan. RIDICULOUS. This was all found out by me calling them, they never notified me. Never experienced such a disinterested attitude in all my life.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navy Federal Credit Union?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Claims department tells me to submit a claim after receiving damaged bills from an ATM, and I do so, following the exact instructions I was given. Claims dept then sends me a message telling me essentially, "Not our fault. You fix it." Wow. This is "superior" customer service from a credit union? I have been treated better by the big banks in the past. This is just really, really disappointing.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

We were not approved for mortgage refinance due to recent law requiring 6 month waiting period unless borrowing at higher than original loan amount via VA. I asked for a refund of $36. Answer: No. I told her that NFCU should have known the law before running our credit info and charging us a fee for something we could not obtain even though our credit itself was fine. So we have another hit on our credit and paid NFCU $36 receiving NOTHING in return. NFCU just lost any future vehicle and mortgage loans with us.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I went to the bank to cover some transactions from the weekend that made my account overdrawn. When I get there the line is super long with three windows open. I was on my way to work so I ask the person working upfront if I go put this money in the ATM to cover my overdraft will I still acquire overdraft fees. He tells me, "No as long as you have cash." So going off of that information I deposit the money into the ATM and check the next day and I'm hit with 60 dollars of overdraft fees.

I called to get it figured out and I'm told I put the money in after the ATM cut off time which they say is on the ATM. I tell them I am going off the impression that I will not get any fees based off what I was told from a Navy Federal employee. They pretty much say it's my fault for not seeing the cut off time on the ATM (which I highly doubt is there but I'm going to check tonight). But they give me 40 dollars out of the 60 they took. My money is not to be played around with and I am most likely leaving this bank to find another credit union.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

So I decided to go with Navy Federal Credit Union for my VA Home Loan because they were offering a great mortgage rate (beating my old standby USAA by about 0.5%). After getting approved I decided to look at some of the online reviews for NFCU. Much to my dismay, the reviews posted online (this website in particular) were overwhelmingly negative. This caused me to look at other lenders, however, NFCU had the best rate I could find. So I decided to roll the dice and stick with them.

To my pleasant surprise, they not only came through with the funding but were able to close the loan within three weeks. The closing went smoothly and was completed in about 90 minutes. I will offer a couple of my insights to those considering NFCU: Their response time can tend to be slower than a local bank. I made sure I called and emailed early in the day so as to get a response by late afternoon from them. I got the sense that my loan officer was extremely busy and handling a high volume of loans. There were a couple times I called and she didn't recognize my name (even though I was in contact frequently via phone or email). I also felt a bit rushed when on the phone with her. That being said, she was very knowledgeable and always answered my questions. I would suggest email as a primary way to interact with your loan team.

I live in a state where they do not have a physical branch. Therefore, I had to ensure I downloaded, signed, and then uploaded all their online documents. After that, I ensured I faxed them too (just to be sure). If you're someone who needs lots of guidance, then this is probably not the best lender for you. Personal diligence is imperative. They accept anyone from any of the military branches (not just Navy). That being said, you have to become a member of their credit union. This was pretty simple. For example: Open up an acct for $25 and you're good to go. They'll then review your credit and determine if you meet the specifications for your requested amount.

Overall, based on my experience, I'd recommend NFCU to any service member (former or current) who is looking for an excellent interest rate and isn't intimidated by having to be a little more independent in terms of having to get the paperwork completed. I can see why some get frustrated, but for myself, NFCU was a very good fit. I hope this was helpful. Best of luck.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I am a Navy veteran but did not join when on active duty. When they started accepting veterans, I joined and got a Visa card. I agreed to do everything online. When a Visa statement was available, I was to get an email. I have checked my profile, and my email is correct. I get plenty of junk emails from them promoting things. In a little over a year, they have failed three times to notify me when a statement is available. One of those times resulted in a late charge. The other two, I found by going to the website, which I should NOT have to do. They seem to be uninterested in doing anything. I am reluctantly looking for another credit union to join so I can leave NFCU.

Navy Federal Credit Union expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Navy Federal Credit Union was founded in 1933 with seven members and has grown to have 5 million today. Members must be affiliated with the Department of Defense, Coast Guard, National Guard or U.S. Armed Forces. Immediate family members of the Navy Federal Credit Union can also join.

• Products and services: Navy Federal Credit Union offers a complete suite of checking, savings, credit cards and loan products. They also provide online and mobile banking.

• Credit cards: The credit union has credit, debit, prepaid, specialty prepaid and gift cards.

• Membership benefits: There are a variety of promotions and benefits for Navy Federal Credit Union members including low loan rates, loan and insurance discounts, discount partner offers and more.

• Saving benefits: To support saving and financial security, the credit union offers a special high interest rate certificate of deposit.

• Mobile and text banking: The mobile app allows customers 24/7 account access and is supported by Apple, Android and Kindle Fire devices. The text banking provides alerts as well as transfers and account information.

• Advice and planning: The resource center offers extensive information about managing money, retirement, financial planning, taxes, military and work life. This portal also includes financial calculators, free navy financial planning and home buying seminars.

• Security center: The fraud protection portal gives advice regarding credit and debit card fraud, phishing scams, online and mobile security along with ATM security.

• Best for: Military members and their families who need specialized banking services stateside and overseas.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg