Navy Federal Credit Union

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I originally applied on 3/27/17 via the website to Navy Federal Credit Union to become a member due to my wife being a part of this credit union. I Sent over all of the required documents that was needed to process my new membership with Navy Federal Credit Union. A week had gone by and I didn't receive a response so I called and sent an email via their website. I didn't get anywhere with that so I've spoken to several representative and still no membership and it's now 4/13/17. It's very frustrating when this credit union is rated #1. I really don't understand how? It's now 4/13/17 and I still am not a member due to my information not being accepted per the security department EVERY rep conversation is when I speak with someone.

My wife sent over the same exact documents when she opened her account with Navy Federal Credit Union and didn't get any of the feedback that I am receiving. The representative along with management isn't considerate to the fact that I am a new customer and this isn't the way to treat me. It's going on a month and NO MEMBERSHIP! I've spoken to several different supervisors and haven't gotten anywhere. I want this to be handled immediately! I am getting the runaround with this whole thing. I need the entire world to know where I am coming from. It's inconsiderate to me and myself and my family. I am just frustrated and feed up with this CREDIT UNION WITH NAVY FEDERAL. I have been calling and trying to get an answer. I am now in the process of writing Cutler Dawson which is the CEO of NAVY FEDERAL CREDIT UNION about my experience joining Navy Federal Credit Union.

Joining was a hassle since I didn't live near a branch so I joined online at which point they screwed up my paperwork and placed a hard hit on my credit report lowering my score. After this was all straightened out I asked about the CD they advertised on their site claiming a 3% interest rate and was told that I would receive that rate so I took $3,000 and funded it to the maximum allowed amount. Three days later the CD showed up but was only 1% interest which is the old classic switch and bait fraud car dealers used to use. I didn't make a fuss because I was hope to get help in a home mortgage through them and when they prequalified me in the letter they gave me a limit of $259,660 so I applied.

From the start I was honest explaining I had only a school loan on my credit but that the Dept of Ed had me down still as unpaid but that I had in my possession the payoff letter which I had received showing the matter as settled. I further explained that I had only been behind because I was disabled and on SSI which had given me an income of only $889.40 a month to live on and that if I had gone through with the forgiveness process it would have counted as "taxable income" which would have left me without the SSI check and a tax bill I couldn't pay making matters even worse!

Fortunately in the meantime I had been surprised by the VA finding me as service related disabled at 100%, raising my income to $2,915.55 a month allowing me to pay off that loan and several other debts I was behind on because of trying to survive on SSI. Needless to say they turned me down for "excessive collections" and "unpaid collection accounts" despite the DoE letter and my 1/3 page letter of explanation that they either couldn't be bothered to read of the 5th grade level I wrote it at to keep things simple was beyond them. So now I am trying to rid myself of a switch and bait CD that pays less interest than my Ally savings account without the penalties so I can end this nightmare relationship.

Don't be stupid and believe what their site says. They have no interest in helping Vets on active duty service people in fact because they were in such a hurry to roll out a chipped ATM card they stranded tens of thousands of deployed men, women and their families without funds by cancelling their old ATM cards after sending out replacement cards they couldn't activate due to lack of infrastructure in their area of deployment. As far as I am concerned this is just another Wall Street con, no different from BoA, Chase, or Wells Fargo who cheat customers while making promises they will never keep or intended to in the first place!

Have been harassed from NFCU for the past 7 months. In August 2016 I refinanced my vehicle with NFCU when they had a promotion going on (low interest and $200 into account). I didn't have an account with NFCU previously, so I had to fill out all of the membership paperwork in order to open an account and deposit $25 in order to qualify for this financing promotion. Once that was complete, I was able to successfully refinance my vehicle. The payments for the vehicle were set up on a direct draft from my actual checking account so I didn't have to mess with anything. A short time after, I received a promotion and moved to Alaska.

Upon arrival to Alaska, I provided my new mailing and residential address. I then started receiving my savings account statements - which showed federal income tax withheld. I have never held a savings or checking account where federal income tax was withheld. I've received very little to no interest income on this account as it is less than $200.

When I inquired as to why or how federal income tax is being withheld, the response I received was because they didn't have my Federal Tax ID on file. I inquired as I am not a business and I did provide my SSN on my membership application. The representative indicated they did not have a membership application on file. I asked how that was possible as I opened an account with it - which she verified - and I refinanced a vehicle with it - which she verified. Nonetheless, the response was without a membership application on file, NFCU will withhold Federal Income Tax from my account. How is that legal?

Then I was receiving letters indicating NFCU did not receive all of the vehicle information and/or lien on the new registration since I moved to Alaska. They threatened to change my vehicle loan to a signature loan with a much higher interest rate if they did not receive the DMV title indicating they hold the lien. I had to resend that paperwork 3 different times to them, even after I confirmed with the DMV that NFCU was listed as the lien holder. Ironically, about the same time I was receiving these letters, I was receiving emails from NFCU stating I needed to verify my address as the one on file was incorrect. Weird, I could've sworn I was receiving my bank statements and all of this vehicle paperwork at my mailing address.

When I inquired this morning about these emails - I had to give my assigned access account number to reach an operator, then I had to verify name, last four and date of birth to even speak with her. I then had to subsequently had to verify my mailing and physical address on file and then she wanted my phone number so she could text a passcode to me, which I had to read back to her so she could initiate changes to my account - which there were none. Everything on file was correct (probably because of the missing membership application). I understand security and protecting information, but too much is absolutely ridiculous. I even had to delete the app because it was constantly wanting or indicating my password was incorrect. I will be closing these accounts as I have never had this much trouble through a financial institution.

I've had NFCU for years and never had a problem until I ran into financial issues. Unfortunately, I had credit cards, auto loan and personal loan with the bank which is the worst mistake ever. PLEASE DO NOT GET MORE THAN ONE ACCT with any bank. Nowadays they have it set up that they will take funds out of any account to pay for past due accounts or balances. They say to call and schedule an appointment to have payments made but that isn't honored because their automated system automatically takes the money out the account and there's nothing their customer service can do about it.

So you're left without your own money. Without knowledge upon opening account you are unaware that you underlining signed an agreement authorizing them to withdrawn funds from any available account. Then I tried to get my interest rate lowered, they do not want to assist. I tried to settle credit card payment and they do not take anything less than 85%. The loyalty of being with them for years means absolutely nothing to NFCU. They do not try to assist families in need. PLEASE DO NOT open several accounts with just one bank. In the long run it will bit you in the ass. I had to open another account with another bank because of this situation. NFCU is hopeless!

I noticed that money I had deposited last month for personal reasons, in my daughter's account was completely depleted, then a certain amount returned to the account without Navy Federal notifying me. When I called, the wonderful customer service staff that placed me on hold to figure out the problem from 12pm-8pm between 5 different representatives. Everyone was clueless. By 8 p.m. they finally found out that the other joint owner on the account withdrew all the funds, then replenish a small amount before closing all his accounts with the institution.

I asked how the hell can a joint owner be placed on the account when I walked in there with 3 small children and was the only person that sign as the guarantor for this account. Still clueless. Next day walked into location where I open the account to retrieve a copy of the paperwork that none of the wonderful reps I spoke to the day before could find.

The 2 pieces of paper they had on file listed only one person on the account as a signer - myself. So they sent it to the fraud department. I was upset and spoke with the fraud investigator who 2 days later stated that the matter was going to be closed. Closed because due to some clerical error the other parent was somehow added years ago even though I never noticed out of 3 children statements. And the other parent never had any activity until those 2 day period and because we are both the child's parents there is nothing they can do about it. Then asking the other parent nicely if he'll give it back instead of doing what you know is ethical right as a banking institution. But I told the fraud investigator I would spread the word about NFCU incompetence and failure to protect their customers funds they trust them with.

Great job Navy Federal by not abiding by your own legal terms stated on your minor set up account contract. Under the guidelines of Minors Accounts of Navy Federal forms "Federal law requires all financial institutions to obtain, verify and record information that identifies each person who opens an account, including Joint Owners and authorized signers." Thanks for allowing a clerical mistake to cost a single mother a financial loss because of your fraud justifications. Be vigilant of who you trust with your money, I know I have my eyes open now.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navy Federal Credit Union?

Put in a auto loan application couple month ago and I was declined, the services representative in Cherry Hill, New Jersey, told me to try again in couple month, that I did Feb 25, 2017, And my application was declined again and my credit score is better than last year. Thing is why I don't understand I had two auto loan in the past with Navy Federal Credit Union and I paid off in 2015 and 2016, I was never late, and I had two personal loan with them also and I paid off the loan. How can Navy Federal Credit rate me no limited credit experience, bankruptcy that it is 10 years old, high revolving credit and slow payment etc... And then this is last year made a $4000 personal loan and I was approved but they won't approve my auto loan.

Before I begin, if you cannot resist the lure of Navy Federals offers at least do this one thing: DO NOT under any circumstances close out your old checking and savings accounts with other banks. Especially if you are not being charged a monthly fee. If you have checking, savings, loans and credit cards with

Navy Federal and no other, you are in for a NIGHTMARE! NFCU was recommended to me by family and coming from military lineage it seemed like some kind of benefit or was earned in some way. I applied and easily opened a free checking account which I had never experienced before and a min. savings account was required.

The jaw-dropper came when I applied for a Signature Visa and was approved a very generous limit even with my mediocre credit score. I also got a checking line of credit after signing and returning an authorization form. All sounded great and it was like a dream come true having had nothing but a $300 store credit card to my name for many years.

The problem started when I was late one day on the overdraft. They took it out of my checking without notification. I had agreed to it on the auth form, so not the end of the world. But from that day forward as they say: "Let the games begin". The direct deposit from my menial occupation would go to them

Monday nights and they would indicate it was received but not post it for three business days since that day-late payment. Before it would be posted the next evening. During this new delay NFCU would take out any payments due that week BEFORE letting me access it via atm or online banking the following Thursday.

Having had quite enough of this Chicago Syndicate-style of banking, I changed my direct deposit back to my old bank and began taking payments into NFCU as they became due. It's been about three weeks since I did this and today I get a letter from Navy Federal stating my credit accounts are being closed due to a poor credit score. Now, this is after paying them EVERY month for over four years. I highly expect a closing statement any day now demanding payment in full for both accounts within thirty days, which will be impossible and inevitably destroying my credit rating for years to come. Imagine if I had a mortgage with them? Or perhaps a second? Don't let this happen to you. They want to run your entire financial life or you get booted out the door.

Do NOT bank with Navy Federal Credit Union! I had put $310.00 to transfer to my husband's ex-wife for child support. I was late one day on my credit card payment and they automatically transferred the whole amount onto my credit card balance. When I had called to get it reversed, the representative stated, "It's out of their hands because I was late for my credit card payment. Any money that would be deposited in the account would be automatically transferred over." Mind you, I did not give any consent to do this transaction. So, not only have they put my husband at risk for going to jail for not paying child support, but now my stepson will not have any support whatsoever this half of the month! The representative had no answers, wasn't willing to make a payment arrangement, wasn't helpful at all! So do yourself a favor and NEVER, I repeat, NEVER bank with Navy Federal Credit Union!!! Worst Bank EVER!

I have a credit card, checking account and savings account with Navy Federal. I also opened a savings account for my 3 kids. They automatically take money out of my checkings to pay my credit card without my permission if I'm behind. Even the little bit of child support that I do get when he finally decides to pay something. They told me that they have the right to do that and they can also take money from my children's savings as well. I stopped my direct deposits from going there because of this. Looks as if I'm not the only one with this issue. Sounds like a class action may come of this. I used to be a satisfied member, but not anymore.

My daughter and son had issues with settlement on their home in Aug 2015 due to Navy Federal dropping the ball on due date for settlement. Was told they would be compensated NEVER happened. Now one and half years later they get a letter stating mortgage payment going up $400 per month!! Who can afford that?? Why wasn't escrow taking enough money out for a shortage? Have owned several homes and NEVER had a payment go up this high!!! Poor very poor customer service and support! !! Only gave 1 star since I had to. NEVER use them. 2nd time Navy Federal has not given good service.

Recommend you allow reviews to have Zero Star option. Irrelevant perhaps, to this complaint but telling on the Ranks and records of the NFCU Board. I start by saying that I am a Disabled Vet as the result of a Ship's CO ordering me to expose myself to Ionizing Radiation and instigating a cover up. This event crippled me with Malignant Ependymoma Cancer to my spine and Malignant Soft Tissue Sarcoma Cancer. I Apologize, I just feel the board and employees treats their customers as Squids. I was rank of Commander when I could no longer work and was drummed out.

As required by Federal Bankruptcy Laws in 1989, I was required to report all creditors no matter the amount of the debt. $500.00 was owed to NFCU. I could have paid it but my attorney said it was illegal to show preference to creditors. Since that time I have acquired considerable wealth and don't need credit. But I would like to have access to MY accounts. My children have accounts with ADM NFCU and sometime I like to transfer money to them. (In a way I do use online banking because my wife and I have shared accounts.

I have to log in using her log in credentials. (I'm not as stupid as NFCU is.) BUT every time I have asked to be able to set up online banking I have been told, "You are not allowed to use online banking BECAUSE you owe us $500.00." This is an aggressive punitive action but mostly petty. DISCHARGED means I don't owe them squat and they just need to get over it. NFCU needs to be known more as good citizens instead of babies. Here's a hint to readers: USAA opened many years enrollment to all enlisted service members.

This bank has failed in every humanly possibly way. They literally can't even notarize something correctly. Seriously, everything has been a nightmare with them. My husband was in Germany for training, along with hundreds of other soldiers. Their debit cards were cancelled while they were over there. Navy Federal sent out chipped debit cards after they left for training, and there was apparently some type of deadline for activating these new cards (which was apparently emailed), and the old cards would be deactivated. Sure enough, all of these soldiers in Germany (who did not have access to email at the time), and I'm sure Iraq, Afghanistan and everywhere else overseas, their cards were deactivated. Imagine that for a moment. A bank that serves the military community, not even taking in to consideration our men and women, serving overseas, who did not have access to email.

When the card came, I did not activate it, as it would have deactivated the card he had with him. I'll also say there was no mention of there being a deadline, in the paperwork that came with the card. Before my husband headed to Germany, we took our POA in to the local Navy Federal in Richmond Hill, GA, only to find out it never was put on file. I had to go back SIX times, and still it was not on file. We once did an auto loan through them, which I would not advise. We had to fill out the same paperwork several times, and mail it in, and somehow, every single time, it was lost. We refinanced that loan after only three or so months, as we are simply done with Navy Federal. They are super unorganized, and their lack of customer service is appalling.

On April 28 2016 Navy Federal withdrew my car payment without my authorization from my bank account because I was two day late. When I call them to ask why they did it they told me they can do that with no other explanation even though I was still in my grace period to pay the car. I did not have automatic payment and I did not sign any paperwork for them to withdraw any car payment.

Been a member for 24 years and used NFCU for a mortgage. Biggest mistake ever. They failed to order the appraisal which delayed the closing of our home, and this happened twice even after appraisal was "rushed". Their lack of execution cost almost cost me the sale. This is not the organization it used to be. I will be moving over to USAA. Caveat emptor.

On Jan. 10th I drove through drive thru to make a deposit. Like normal, I put all my info and deposit in the machine. I had send it and like usual, I pressed the talk to agent or representative. I waited like 7 min., I heard nothing, pressed it again, then I get this rude response; "I'm helping someone else right now, I'll help you when I'm done." I said, "it's fine. I just wanted to make sure someone was there and received my info and deposit. I was here waiting and no had at least let me know that they had received my stuff." The lady was rude. Next time I'll call the 800 number and try to contact their supervisor while I wait. See if they like that!

I deposited a check for $300 drawn off of a Wells Fargo bank account on Monday 01/02/17 at the automated teller in Eastlake, CA. The bank's security dept placed a hold on the check and have now locked my account for 5 business days. I called and was told that the check was flagged as suspicious, and that the system is very rarely wrong. The person I talked to said she had never seen it be wrong before. Yesterday, Wednesday 01/04/17 I went to Wells Fargo bank with the account holder that wrote the check. We were informed that the funds had been released to Navy Federal and that the check had cleared. When I contacted Navy Federal earlier this morning, Thursday, 01/05/17 I was told by the bank’s rep that Wells Fargo doesn't give information about cleared checks and that my account would be locked until next Tuesday, 01/10/17.

I am an Active Duty Sailor in the Navy with over 8 years service, with multiple bills that are now not being paid due to a bank that is supposedly for "Military" discriminating against me. I can only assume it is because I'm not excessively wealthy, and don't have the greatest credit. I'm sure they don't treat wealthy people this way, but if you are an enlisted sailor who is trying to make ends meet, they care nothing about you. It is a shame that thousands of us are risking our lives, sometimes daily, for millions of people. But the institutions that are supposed to be there for us discriminate against the very people they claim to help and be for in their commercials. Don't believe what you see on TV. Navy Federal is not there for the military, and certainly not for the Navy.

Been a NFCU customer for a little over year. I have a platinum credit card with them plus I had 3 car loans and everything has been paid on time and in most cases I paid more than what was due and before it was due. I was turned down for an auto refinance on 12/29/16 that was approved by USAA. I figured I would see if NFCU could give me a better rate so you can imagine how surprised I was when I was turned down. I called and asked to speak with a NFCU manager and was put through to Henry at the Winchester office. Henry looked at my credit with NFCU and agreed that my credit standing with NFCU was outstanding with no blemishes.

The car, I might add that I was refinancing was a 2002 Lexus 430 SC booked out for much more than I needed. Anyway, Henry said he would talk with a loan officer and really agreed with me that this loan should be approved. Today 12/30/16 Henry called and said, "Sorry cannot approve refinance loan." With that I have decided that NFCU really doesn't need my business any longer. USAA seems to care much more for the veterans and their needs than Navy Federal and judging from the reviews I read here I'll be glad to be a USAA customer.

I applied Nov 1st for our loan with the Navy Federal Credit Union. The VERY first thing I did was ask them if they can do this refinance in my husband's name "ONLY" even though he wasn't on title. I had issues with my credit and his was excellent, (750 score). I was very specific! The loan officer told me "Sure, that's not a problem, we can just add him to title later." I called 2 other local banks and they said the same thing. They said we'd be okay because we are married and we can show proof of him making the payments if necessary. "Both" of the other 2 banks offered a slightly better rate and lower costs but the NFC said they'd "match" the deal I got at the other bank (Dollar Bank in Ohio). So I decided to go with them because they were so much easier to deal with 2 previous car loans. And I was afraid the others would drag it out by requesting too many documents.

BIG MISTAKE!!! We had the loan locked in at 2.625% on a 15 year, (before the rates jumped up). November 8th, we received a "Conditional Loan Approval" subject to the appraisal, title work and changing the insurance into their name. I did all 3 by November 11th. I waited to hear back from them. I waited and waited... 2 weeks... 3 weeks... 4 go by. Middle of December I'm told that there's an "issue" with my title work. And they apologize saying that my loan officer is no longer working there and they had to "re-assign" my loan to someone else. The next day, this 'new person' never calls me back, I emailed him, NOTHING! I called again, a week goes by, never got back to me! No one is returning my calls.

Then finally, December 21th, I receive an 'email' not a phone call! from a loan 'processor' saying that they 'cannot' do our loan because of my husband not being on title. I flip out, call and speak with a supervisor. I tell him that I specifically asked my loan officer in the very beginning if my husband not being on title was a problem, I told him how I was told no it's not a problem etc.. This supervisor (Mike **) assures me that everything 'should be okay', that we should be able to work this out. But they'd have to get back to me. Now it's going to be Christmas holiday.

The following Tuesday morning I'm expecting an email saying we have a "Clear to Close" but nothing comes in. Next day at 430 pm I get a phone call from the processor telling me the very same thing she said in her email. That they cannot do the loan because he's not on title. I told her what the supervisor told me on Friday and she said that she knew nothing about that! I left a message and her supervisor called me and told me the same thing. So we have no loan and we lost our opportunity for the 2.625% rate because they have gone up over a point. A big difference in payment on a $200k loan! No apologies! No nothing! This was completely shocking and the worst experience Ever!!! DON'T WAIST YOUR TIME!!! They are more expensive anyways "IF" you can even get a loan!

I have an unsecured loan with Navy Federal and did not make a payment in Nov because I consolidated my debts and payments were going to occur in Dec. So Navy Federal went into my account without any permission and stole 1400 from account. According to them they have the "authority" to go into your account anytime they want! This is the most abuse I have ever encountered with any financial institution. I regret ever banking with them and I won't make the same mistake ever again. Now I'm fighting to get my money since we are a week away from Christmas! As a vet I would discourage anyone from doing business with them because of how they violate their customers. Looking into legal action.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Came to the Ballston location in Arlington to apply for a loan. The loan was to pay for a certification class and moving expenses. After explaining the situation in its entirety to the representative, I was told that I needed to open an account to apply. After opening a checking account, he opened a savings account for me as well although I didn't need it. He then did the loan application and told me to check back in a few days. I decided to call the customer service number about an hour after getting home and was told that my application had been denied. I was also told that the decision was made right away, as in while I was in the branch. After appealing the loan process several times over the course of 4-5 days, I was finally told that Navy Federal does not grant personal loans for job certification purposes, but would be more than happy to help me with my moving expenses.

After applying for a 4th time, I was denied again without a proper explanation. I was told to simply wait for my letter in the mail explaining the decision. I will be starting a new career in California on Monday, Dec. 19, and all Navy Federal has managed to do is waste my time and energy. From the beginning, the representative simply signed me up and left me out to dry. Knowing my application was denied, he told me to simply call back a few days later. Knowing that you don't give loans for certifications, your customer service and lending teams wasted my time and money having me appeal and process several loan applications.

I am going tomorrow to withdraw my money and close my account. I am also recommending my brother, a active member of the (US Army) and my mother, both account holders of Navy Federal to do the same. I have never felt so cheated and swindled by a company in my whole life. I want this to be made very clear: Your company created a checking and savings account for me AND RAN MY CREDIT knowing that the reason for the loan was not something you support. Shame on you and your banking institution for not knowing better.

I wanted to use my credit union for a VA mortgage and thought since they do many military transactions, it would be the best choice. Man, was I wrong! It was the worst experience of my entire home purchasing life, and there have been a number to compare this too. First off, the loan officer who was handling my paperwork was out of their Scripps Ranch, CA office and I had to initiate contact with her every time. The only way I received a response was sending a message through the secure system, as she never answered the phone when called. The first return contact I had from that office was when an assistant to her called and regurgitated everything I had already provided and simply wasted time. I clearly explained we were on a timetable to purchase a new home and that time was of the essence. Not to them it seems.

After filling out loads of paperwork and numerous attempts to contact her, I was informed that the VA would not like the numbers she had and therefore the mortgage could not be done. What? She never asked the VA but simply summarily decided that I could not have a VA mortgage. When I told her we were no longer interested in dealing with her, she then offered me the "opportunity" to apply for a different type of mortgage. What an idiot, because if you do not qualify for a VA mortgage it is very unlikely you will qualify for another with similar terms. Screw Navy Federal mortgage department. Wasted a week of my time and no pre-qualification for a loan in hand.

In steps Wells-Fargo and in a few hours we had the pre-qualification needed to proceed with the home purchase. And for the same VA loan the interest rate was lower. Service was more than great, it was outstanding and we closed on our new home within 50 days. Sadly, many transactions with Navy Federal have been good, although they are slower in some areas than commercial banks. They tout they are all about serving the military and veterans, but their Scripps Ranch office must be staffed with sub-par individuals who just blow off the customers rather than provide good service.

I never had any bad experiences until recently. I went in for a loan and after everything the man helping me literally laughed and went to tell the other people how bad my credit was. Then I tried to deposit my check via mobile deposit, at the ATM and at the teller and each time only $200 was available until anywhere from 1-7 business days when the rest would show up. So if you value your money bank elsewhere! I plan on switching to USAA as soon as I can.

I banked with Navy Federal for 6 months. They ran credit applications on my name without my consent. I got quoted up to two times for Auto loans within a 5 day span. I feel the representatives have a lack of knowledge in their field and the matter should be resolved by Navy Federal Credit Union; known by consumers.

I took out a personal loan with Navy Federal, which I monitor constantly on my personal computer. I noticed Navy Federal will increase the posted balance on my account without my consent and tell me that it was never changed. I know they were not telling me the truth because also write my account balances down at my residence. Also on one instance that I (noticed) I deposited one hundred dollars in both my savings and checking accounts at the same time and in one account my balance increased by one hundred dollars and in the other account my balance showed an increase by ninety-five dollars, so I went inside to tell the manager. I was then told five dollars was subtracted for a initiation fee, even though my account was opened years ago. I don't think this is the first time money was taken out of my account or added to my bills without my consent...

Run... Run far away. I have been a NFCU customer since 1992. I love banking at this credit union. Mortgages and business accounts I guess are just not their thing. I spent 3 months fighting to get a VA loan from these guys. I asked for a complete list of everything they would need so I could start hunting stuff down. The same items were asked for several times and the list just kept growing. One more thing... one more thing... and just when I thought we were done... one more thing. They gave ridiculous estimates for closing costs, $17,500 tried to make the seller pay my funding fee without telling anyone. Communication broke down several times. Demanded I sign a loan disclosure that was total fiction. The last straw was some manager tried to get all stern with me in an e-mail and tell me how things were going to happen. I was so sick to my stomach when I had to drop them and go to another Mortgage company.

2 weeks after the switch, I was waiting for w-2s from the IRS for verification and coasting to closing. Ugly. I tried to then open a business account with NFCU. They kept giving me items to chase down time after time instead of giving me an entire list. When I finally thought I had it all together, giving NFCU the required information was way more difficult than needed. First I took them hard copies, they could not copy them, so I went and made copies. They could not just write down my ECN, they had to have it in writing. I tried forwarding my e-mail with my ECN to them and they could not receive it. They then told me to go to their website and upload it. While on the phone with them, I followed their instructions, uploaded the documents.

I called the next day. They claimed they did not receive them. At this point we are 3 weeks deep trying to get a business account. I gave up. I walked into Wells Fargo and walked out 1 hour later with a business account. I have always loved banking at NFCU. I do not know what happened to NFCU but I hope they figure it out. They lost my mortgage business and my Company business because they did not have their ducks in a row. Very frustrating.

I been a customer of Navy Federal for about 7 months. In the beginning everything was okay but for the past 4 months my account has been overdrawn plenty of times. So I started tracking my spending, and when I bring it to their attention every rep and supervisor say the same thing (the merchant doesn't take the money right away) pretty much stating that I’m spending more than I have. So I decided to withdraw my checks out my account just to see if I would have another overdraft. I checked my account and the next morning and it was 99 dollars overdrawn. I know for a fact something is going on and they are stealing money or someone is hacking into the system and stealing money but they don't care, just as long as it’s not their money being taken. I’m fixing to close this account and I will never do business with Navy Federal again and I will post about my experience every chance I get because they don't help to resolve nothing.

We started shopping around for VA mortgage Loans and since we've been members at Navy Fed for 6 years, naturally we considered them. Their rates and services are attractive, including an option to help cover closing costs and no origination fee. The initial step to get someone on the phone to take down answers for prep qualification was a breeze. The agent was lovely. We were to hear back from our loan officer the next business day and could have pre-approval in as little as 3 business days thereafter. But the positives end there. We PAID UP FRONT to have our credit run, which other banks didn't require us to do. We patiently waited for an agent to contact us but three days later, still nothing. On the fourth, fateful morning after my phone died and when I turned it on after charging, of course I had missed the agent's call. I called her back right away and I got voicemail.

Now a week and three call attempts to NFCU after the first call and still no word from our loan officer. Few more days and we finally received a letter which only told us that they had run our credit which we already knew because, as I said, we PAID FOR IT up front. Mind you, we had already been pre-approved at this point with Veteran's United and already in underwriting with Movement Mortgage. Both of whom didn't charge us a PENNY to get our app started.

We were still trying to lock in their lower rate so I called again. Once directly to the loan officer and when I AGAIN was sent to voicemail I called the general line for home loans. I connected with an agent was checking the status of our loan. All was going great until she put me on hold to try to get an actual person that's working on our loan case. SHE NEVER CAME BACK. Instead I was patched through to our loan officer's voicemail. At this point I'm livid.

My husband finally got in touch with the officer that day and complained. After that we received several correspondence about documents they still required from us. At this point, it's now about (maybe past) 3 weeks later, we had our pre-approval from V.U. and a loan commitment letter from M.M. and had already placed an offer on a house. I emailed our loan officer to cancel our app and told them how disappointed we were in the service. She NEVER responded to the email and to this day, now almost 5-6 weeks later, they are still emailing us to try to complete our application. But no actual call from the agent still.

All this after we told them we needed the process to go as efficiently as possible since our lease is ending at our apt. If we hadn't applied with the two other banks, we would be stuck either homeless or getting stuck signing another year long lease for an apartment because Navy Federal screwed us around and we never would have got a house on time. Run far, far away from these people!

My experience with NFCU was horrible. After two months of processing a refinance for my home they had not started it. After several attempts of contacting them requesting updates I finally discovered the process had not begun. I contacted three managers that assured me that they will take care of their oversight but yet nothing ever happened.

To add insult to the whole fiasco, they charged me for my credit report and didn't credit me after requesting for it and their acknowledgment of their mistake. It all began with my paperwork getting transferred to three different loan processors. The first loan processor quit and instead of handing off my paperwork to another processor to continue they canceled my loan process and sent me a letter in the mail. Then I contacted them and they had no idea this had happened. Then my paperwork stood stagnant through two more processors and after two months my loan had not even begun. What a bad way to take care of a member! In all other aspects of banking I've been satisfied but I will never use NFCU for a mortgage again. Unfortunately I discovered through a hand full of friends and colleagues who also had the similar negative experiences with the NFCU mortgage department. Totally unsat!!

I paid my car loan online and noticed the next day that it did not post as usual. I went back in thinking that it did not go through so I paid again. I was charged twice. I called Navy Federal to have the second charge reimbursed, stating what happen. Although the agent was rude, he stated that it will be redeposited into my account in 3 to 5 business days.

It has been 5 business days and instead of depositing the amount back into my account, they withdrew the amount and then replaced the amount. Not depositing any money, leaving me with zero (0) reimbursement. Not to mention a bank charge. I called and the agent this time was helpful, and stated that I need required documents to have the amount redeposited back into my account.

I am upset now, because the first agent did not mention this whatsoever and they do not reimburse for fees - despite the fee was due to them withdrawing from my account when it should have been a deposit. I have always been a fan of NFCU, but now I am a dissatisfied member. They really should have a better process and make things right when something has happened on their end.

I wanted a Navy Federal account to make it easier to transfer money to another person's Navy Fed account. I had began my application, but had recently moved to a new area, so I did not have all the documentation that I needed immediately. Every few days I would send in one of the documents they required and every few days I would receive an email asking me to "please submit another proof of address from the list below." I kept on sending the types of documents on the list, but they kept telling me they needed something from the list. The last document I sent in was my voter registration card. The emails they sent me told me that it would take about 2 days for them to review my documents.

Over a week later, I called to see what was going on with my application, and they said that they had deleted my application because they hadn't received the required documents in the allotted time and any documents that I had sent in after the cutoff had been deleted. Weird, because they had already mailed my debit card and I had already deposited $5 into it. I would have really appreciated some sort of explanation of why my most recent document hadn't been reviewed. So they advised me to re-apply and resend all the documents that I had sent previously. I did. THEN they emailed me saying that they needed government-issued photo ID, so a week after I started the process, I sent them a photo of my passport.

Over a week later, I still had heard nothing from them so I called and they said they had never received it, but if I would email it to them again, they would put it back in the line and I would hear from them within a few days. I double-checked my sent emails and confirmed that it had gone through. So the issue wasn't on my end and if they hadn't received it the first time, there is no reason they would receive it the second time. And I had definitely emailed it to the correct email address because I had simply replied to the email address I was supposed to sent it.

I told them I wasn't interested in waiting longer just for the exact same thing to happen, but they said that any documents that were entered would get put to the end of the queue and they would review it whenever they got around to it. And they couldn't transfer me to the people that received applicant documents because "they weren't receiving calls." I was so sick of the run-around and the constant delay and being told to wait, that I told them to withdraw my application. I went with USAA instead and it was infinitely easier. And I'm sure that if there were any issues, USAA customer service would have been much more helpful too. I can't stress how little I think of Navy Federal.

Expert Review

Barbara FriedbergPersonal Finance Contributing Editor

Barbara Friedberg, MBA, MS is a former investment portfolio manager with decades of financial experience. Friedberg taught Finance and Investments at several universities. Her work has been featured in U.S. News & World Report, Investopedia, Yahoo!Finance and many more publications.    More about Barbara→

Navy Federal Credit Union was founded in 1933 with seven members and has grown to have 5 million today. Members must be affiliated with the Department of Defense, Coast Guard, National Guard or U.S. Armed Forces. Immediate family members of the Navy Federal Credit Union can also join.

• Products and services: Navy Federal Credit Union offers a complete suite of checking, savings, credit cards and loan products. They also provide online and mobile banking.
  • Credit cards: The credit union has credit, debit, prepaid, specialty prepaid and gift cards.
  • Membership benefits: There are a variety of promotions and benefits for Navy Federal Credit Union members including low loan rates, loan and insurance discounts, discount partner offers and more.
  • Saving benefits: To support saving and financial security, the credit union offers a special high interest rate certificate of deposit.
  • Mobile and text banking: The mobile app allows customers 24/7 account access and is supported by Apple, Android and Kindle Fire devices. The text banking provides alerts as well as transfers and account information.
  • Advice and planning: The resource center offers extensive information about managing money, retirement, financial planning, taxes, military and work life. This portal also includes financial calculators, free navy financial planning and home buying seminars.
  • Security center: The fraud protection portal gives advice regarding credit and debit card fraud, phishing scams, online and mobile security along with ATM security.
  • Best for Military members and their families who need specialized banking services stateside and overseas.

Compare Banks & Credit Unions