1.86/5
  • 1 star
Based on 55 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Navy Federal Credit Union

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 17, 2018

349 Navy Federal Credit Union Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

Navy Federal notified me by phone that someone was fraudulently using my credit card. The representative advised of the charges and situation and said they would handle it, and not to worry. I kept in contact with them regarding the additional charges that were made. They cancelled my card and husband's cards and sent new cards by overnight mail. 3 months later the larger of the fraudulent charges were placed by on my account with my knowledge. I went online to make my payment and noticed my card was way over the limit. I put in a dispute for the charges and the agent basically accused me of lying because there is a chip in my card. Since I'm not a criminal, I know nothing about Chips. I've spoken with 3 representatives and they still have not removed the charges. My credit scores have been affected by this, since my card is over it's limit! Terrible customer service!!!!!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

I've been a member since the first few weeks of boot camp in Jan 2001. In that 17 years they've only me no once when I needed a loan or credit and had nowhere else to turn. I'll admit the interest rates could be better for some of the services, especially for a long-term member; but they are still competitive with the market. Overall, I love being a member!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

My husband and I have been banking with NFCU for over 7 years now. He was active duty in the USMC, but now he is retired. We also bank with Truliant, and the only reason we didn't use NFCU is because they didn't provide the type of account we needed. NFCU has always really helped us out through many different situations of financial hardship, but I'll just share the experience I had today with them.

I had made some purchases on eBay using my PayPal account, apparently I didn't notice it defaulted to the incorrect PayPal account that had no funds in it, so when eBay tried to charge me it couldn't and therefore they decided to charge my bank account; but our NFCU account didn't have funds at the time. So subsequently we were charged the $29.00 fee... 4 TIMES! So here I was with $116 in fees due to a simple mistake. I called NFCU looking to have them help me out with this, and explained the situation to the representative.

They completely removed the fees... I mean, all $116!!! It's 5 days from Christmas, so everyone knows it's a time of year where finances are very tight (especially with our 4 children!). I can't express my gratitude to NFCU. They are truly not your normal bank/credit union. I was actually taken aback by all the negative reviews on here. I can't speak much about home loans (we went through someone else for ours) but we have a car loan with them as well, again, no issues.

I can honestly say Navy Federal truly cares for their members. I plan to continue banking with them for as long as they are in existence. There are so many wonderful things about NFCU. Their refund of ATM fees, their $500 OOPS overdraft, their extremely wonderful customer service. I mean, these aren't your average qualities of your average bank/credit union. They simply want YOU as a member, not just your money.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I had applied for a small personal loan. I make more than enough money to pay the loan back but we had an emergency and I asked to borrow $7K. I have been with them for years. Twice they screwed my credit up by making hard inquiries and denying a credit increase. Last time they put it in the system like 8 times and it dropped my score. My credit score is in the 600s. It’s not great but could be worse they told me. We use not only credit but other factors, after giving the woman my information I get "oh I'm sorry you have been denied". What? You know that after 5 minutes on the phone with me?

So basically it IS credit based and you don't care a bit about Veterans and any emergencies we might be having? These guys are like any other bank. It’s all about what they can do for themselves. It’s sad so many people take advantage of Veterans and it’s hard to find someone who cares. DO NOT let this bank ruin your credit score. They do not care about you.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I paid a credit card off in full to Navy Federal. Had payments taken out of my Wells Fargo account, told them to stop after I paid them in full, Navy Federal would not stop nor would they despot the money back into my Wells Fargo account. They said I gave them permission to take money out... not for ever. I did not. My account was paid in full and they kept taking money even after I told them not to... STAY AWAY FROM HERE. Going to a lawyer. And they are charging me for my checks I charged back to them, going to small claims court. DO NOT SET UP AUTOMATIC PAYMENTS. THEY WILL NOT STOP TAKING MONEY!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navy Federal Credit Union?

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

This bank is horrible, they help themselves to your hard earned money! Don’t dare have a emergency and be behind on a payment, not only will they take it out of your account without your permission, they will freeze your account! Thanks for being understanding Navy Federal, had a family emergency and they took my child care payment out of my account and left the account in the negative, now my loan payment is not 5 days past due anymore but I can’t go to work!! Wouldn’t even let me make the payment up next week!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I lost my car in electrical short wire 5 mos. ago. So I wanted to get car loan for another car. They "no" in 1 minute now. My credit is low now. But I have been with Credit Union for 25 years. Now can't work any overtime because of no car. Well I'm upset. This credit union get 4 F's in attitude toward Veterans like me not let succeed.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

My husband deposited the gift I gave him into Navy Federal Credit Union. Navy Federal Credit Union kept the deposit, froze his account and lied to both the CFPB and Senator John McCain about the deposit. I found the CFPB response letter where Navy Federal Credit Union states the names provided do not constitute sufficient information to enable us to identify any applicable accounts at Navy Federal Credit Union. I have sent a copy of that letter and Navy Federal Credit Union account statement showing how long the account has been open to both the CFPB and Senator John McCain.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

This is the second time they took my money without my authorization. I had an overdraft account that I told them I would pay off in December. I moved over $300 to my savings. They grabbed it out my account today and said it was sent over to my old account. No one sent me a letter saying they were going to do this or nothing.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I will say I had an amazing experience being financed with NFCU since 09/2013 for my vehicle. My funding process was very fast, and I was able to maintain all my payments on time; in fact I was paid ahead by 7 months on my payments. Unfortunately, my vehicle was totaled this month, 11/2017, but the process to payoff the car was as smooth as can be. Additionally, I made a payment right before my vehicle was paid off, which had been prescheduled, and within 48 business hours of my payoff posting to the account, I had my refund amount available in my savings account with NFCU! Working in the autofinancing industry myself, I know that many institutions get a bad wrap when things occur, but I will say in every interaction that I had with NFCU, I had a pleasant experience.

At this time, I have a credit card with them as well, and of course my personal checking and savings account. I did not finance my new vehicle with them because I found a lower interest rate at another financing company, but should things not go as smoothly there, I may be refinancing my loan to NFCU. I am also looking forward to possibly obtaining financing for my home through NFCU. It has been an amazing experience so far, and I cannot wait to see how our relationship grows!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Navy Federal is a joke. Do NOT buy gift cards from there - they will steal your money in a service fee of $5 per month if you do not use card. They stole $40 from my son. Card had expiration date of 1/21 and he didn’t get to use any of his cards - he was saving up and Navy Federal took all his money.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Navy Federal scammed me out my money. Sent my loan to collections as charged off, so when I deposited my daughter college refund check they took all her money. I don't care who you have debt with and who you owe. Nobody should be able to watch your account waiting for a deposit just to snatch your money to clear a debt. People fall short all the time, I have learned that Navy Federal got sued last year about how they wrongfully go about collecting money to clear loans that their customers fall short to pay. I hope they get sued again, but I will be taking legal action hiring me a lawyer. They don't care about families. All they care about is meeting their quotas to get a debt paid. They have lost my business and my daughter will not be banking with them anymore either.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

Teller: **, refuse to serve me even though I was a joint owner on the account. She did not give me a receipt and continued to argue with me about having a debit card, that has my spouse name on it. They have too many revolving rules. One day I go up there and use my ID and her account number never questioned about. She decided to take her time using the information I gave her and I sat there for 15 minutes. Navy Federal really needs to educate the staff and make it known what can and cannot be used when making a deposit. These bad experiences happen at least every 6 months or so with them!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

The Navy Federal Credit Union - NFCU allowed a third party entity to garnish over $65,000 in retroactive pay from the Veterans Disability Compensation department. This amount was awarded to me due to physical and mental injuries I've incurred from military service. The NFCU violated the Veterans Disability Protection Act of 2010, violates Title 38, Section 5301(a)(1) and violates 31 CFR 212.6. I've reported the institution to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, the Better Business Bureau and I initiated a Congressional Inquiry via the Honorable David Valadao of Hanford, California. To this day, the NFCU has failed to provide a formal response.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

Trying to get some money transferred from a savings account to the charged off debit card so I can that crap off my credit so I can get a mortgage. Mind you I haven't used this bank since I switch to USAA in 2010 for checking. I've had a credit card through them and had to finish paying off my car loan. Both ended in 2014. Had a really bad financial situation and paying the credit card wasn't important as Oh say paying rent, my car, or my utilities so I waited. Now I can but they're making it super hard to get anything done.

I've moved like 5 times since the charge off. I give them all my info; name, social, birthday blah, and forgot the last known address on file. They refuse to tell me even though it's MY personal information. And they expect me to trust them with my other private info like what I gave them to verify it's me!!! Hypocrisy to say the least. Then I transferred around and around when all I want to do is pay off the stupid charge off account. I get mad of course. All the crap they did to my account in 2008-2010, I just want to be rid of them forever.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Nothing I have ever, ever done with this credit union is simple or easy. There is ALWAYS some reason my funds are unavailable or they are taking money for credit cards, they've done credit checks on me without my permission, consistently turn me down for any kind of loan despite my having good credit and have never been late for a single payment on any credit card. Depositing verified CASH into any other ATM results in a FIVE DAY hold that is irreversible. It is the year 2017, with all the other institutions capable of doing things so quickly how is that even possible for it to take five days to make available HARD AMERICAN CURRENCY that is verified by the ATM at the time of the deposit? There is quite literally no benefit to using Navy Federal over any other institution as far as a checking account is concerned.

I've had PayPal transfers be delayed for security reasons on PayPal's end, only to find that now my own bank is placing another hold on the account despite the funds being verified and released by PayPal. Again, NO ONE at NF could or would do anything about it. I've closed my account there in favor a pre-paid Walmart debit card, which stunningly offers more versatility, faster and more reliable customer service, and they're never putting random holds for egregiously long amounts of time on any of my funds! Unless you're well-off in the military and are hoping for some low interest rates on getting a loan for your new Camaro, do not bank with Navy Federal. I'm thoroughly disgusted with this institution. 0/10.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

Took in some coins to deposit, just like I have done at Pentagon Federal, Bank of America, Wells Fargo, Citibank and others over the years, only to have the teller at the Sterling Virginia branch compare the length of each of the 4 rolls to another one right in front of me this time, another time weighed the rolls of coins right in front of me. Literally the ONLY place that has done this right in front of me in DECADES. Guy at the desk said that was Navy Federal POLICY. REALLY STUPID this day and age, spending lots of money on ads and other items for customer acquisition, doing penny ante stuff like this which torpedoes customer retention. I'm a senior IT professional, upper income bracket, dress and act accordingly, too many other places to invest my money to put up with this crap.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

This mortgage department is unable to do simple math. For example, if you have a mortgage that is 1,000 dollars a month and you send them 500 dollars from one bank and 500 from another bank, on the same day, they will "apply both to principal" because alone they do not add up to your payment amount. Your next statement will have two months worth of payments due plus a late fee.

Applying it to principal sounds cool and all, but after paying double mortgage payments some months and always paying a little extra on every payment, my balance has come down 20,000 dollars over 11 years now. Each payment has been 1,300 or more. Like I said, sometimes double. I've sent them roughly 172,000 dollars on a 150k loan. Without the extra money I've sent in. So if they were applying all of that money to principal, I would think it would come down more than 20k.

Refinance for a better rate you say? I've contacted them about such a thing and with all of the fees I'd end up losing all of the ground I made up. Pointless. Their mortgage is so bad I moved out of that house and continue to pay it. I financed with a new company on my second house and after a year, the balance is dropping. No issues with allocating funds correctly and people you can speak to instead of spending 30 minutes trying to get a password or access code.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

Initially I had tried to work with Navy Federal to lower my credit card interest rate from the 19% it's at now but the manager at the branch that I went to told me that they could not help me. After a year I'm still unable to get the rate lowered. Two days ago I went into a different branch to make a payment on my credit card and today I get a notice that I'm delinquent. When I called the number in the e-mail they told me that the branch destroyed my check because they did not accept my identification; I guess my access code and password are not acceptable when making a payment.

To be clear, I was only making a payment, not trying to cash a check or draw funds from an account. And when does a bank destroy a customers payment? I was able to resolve the payment over the phone but will not visit a Navy Federal branch again if possible, they seem to be incompetent and have little regard for the customer. There was a time when their customer service was great, now the customer is irrelevant. I've found a bank that appreciates my business and when this card is paid off I will be free of Navy Federal Credit Union.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

In their description of overdraft protection transactions less than or equaling $5 would not incur the $20.00 "service" fee... What a lying crock! They had a new accounts promotion at the V.A. hospital in Los Angeles… neglecting to inform the vets that the nearest branch was 400+ miles away! I was charged $20 each for $2, $3 etc totaling less than $5 in a 24 hour period. Usury laws have gone the way of habeas corpus, posse comitatus, and our civil rights in general. Corporate America has declared "open season" on the public.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

I was buying a home and the first red flag should have been when the loan officer told me he didn't want to start the process to lock in my rate until after inspection because processing a loan is "a lot of work"... That's your job. Secondly, once we knew the closing date, turns out I was going to be overseas. I called and the loan officer confirmed that my agent could be my power of attorney to approve closing costs and close for me. He even went to a supervisor who concurred it was ok. I get a Power of Attorney and submit it asap.

3 weeks go by and before I go overseas we get the clear to close. So I am overseas and finally get email access and I find out that Navy Fed has a policy (that no one knows about) that anyone with a "conflict of interest" can not be POA; my agent has a financial stake so she is out. I go round and round with them asking for an exception (they even admitted the loan officer and supervisor made a mistake) but they refuse. They suggest I get a friend or family member to be POA. I remind them (because they know this) that I am out of the country and there is no way I can get anything notarized as I am nowhere near an Embassy or Consulate.

I then get a phone call from a supervisor who straight up lies to me saying even if they did give me an exception to this policy no one knows about, the VA doesn't allow it. I inform her that isn't true as I did it before on a previous VA loan. She gets combative with me on the phone and I end up hanging up on her. They are liars and frauds. As soon as I close, once I get back in the country, I will be refinancing. Avoid Navy Federal at all costs.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

Ok so I have been with NFCU for almost a year. When I first open a account through them I applied for a credit card and was turned down 3 times after I sent 3 reconsideration letters via message online. Ok so weeks roll by. When they call to setup my account I told the woman on the phone what happen and she had me apply again and miraculously a few hours later I receive a message saying I was approved for a $1000 credit line.

Next maybe about a month or two later I say I'll try to refinance my car through them. NOPE. They deny me that also! I didn't even bother with a reconsideration letter. I continue to use my card for everything, make payments before the bill is even due paying well over the minimum most months. So this month rolls around. I decide to ask for a credit line increase. Can you guess what? They denied me that too!! Their reason was because of my BANKRUPTCY. The same bankruptcy I had since May of 2014 also the same one that was on there when I got approve for the credit card! I sent a reconsideration letter via message and the response I got was, "Since this message didn't include any change we must stand by our decision." What in the heck? I absolutely hate NFCU. I'm waiting for the day to come for me to pay the card off and never use it again! Definitely don't recommend to anyone!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

I just recently moved to El Paso Texas. Went to a business and they took my cashier’s check and gave me no service. About an hour ago a security officer called me, because I made many attempts to get my stolen money back. The CSR's are extremely rude and lazy. This has been my credit union for twenty years. This place is sinking downhill and seems to have financial issues. The institution seems to be finding ways to rip people off in any way they know how. It is not ethical, to allow a customer to be ignored. Signed Navy Veteran who fought in a war. Thank You Navy Federal Credit Union for making me feel unappreciated. Now that's customer service...

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I called Navy Federal because online it was showing a late payment on my account. The late payment showed that I owed for 2 payments instead of the one that I originally owed. I called customer service and they stated that they show 2 payments down on your account whenever you are just one day late. I told her that it did not give that explanation online. After stating this, the Representative obviously got annoyed with me and stated, "Can I help you with anything else?" I told her that she can get a supervisor due to her being very short with me. She asked, "May I place you on hold?" I told her, "No. Please get a supervisor." She stated that, "I am finished with this call." And just held the phone. I called her an idiot and she stated that I can not speak to a supervisor and hung up. I just want an explanation that makes sense. She was very rude and should not be speaking to customers at all. I am very upset with Navy Federal.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I am very satisfied with the service and quick update of all transaction on my accounts. The transfer of fund from one account to my children is amazing.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

I have been with NFCU for over 10 years. I love the customer service, their security and the fact that it doesn't cost me anything to bank with them.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

When my husband died 22 years ago, our account was with NFCU. I have had no problems with the credit union and have gone in for personal assistance on more than one occasion. Have always received outstanding service and information.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

If you can get a membership, it is well worth it. Online banking is the best, and ATM's are all over the country. Great rates on all types of loans... can't be beat.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

Sends text messages whenever there are extraordinary charges or fraud so I can call and either explain my purchases or tell them I am not in Kansas at a hotel. Very vigilant at this!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

The absolute best experience we've had with Navy Federal Credit Union has been refinancing our mortgage. Before that, we had been bounced around to 3 other banks as our mortgage was bought and sold repeatedly. We were fed up with that and refinanced with NFCU. Their promise: They will never sell our mortgage, ever. Nor do we get the constant stream of spam mail dealing with the other banks always brought. They've been dependable, reliable and always courteous both in person and over the phone. Very happy we are with them.

Navy Federal Credit Union expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Navy Federal Credit Union was founded in 1933 with seven members and has grown to have 5 million today. Members must be affiliated with the Department of Defense, Coast Guard, National Guard or U.S. Armed Forces. Immediate family members of the Navy Federal Credit Union can also join.

• Products and services: Navy Federal Credit Union offers a complete suite of checking, savings, credit cards and loan products. They also provide online and mobile banking.

• Credit cards: The credit union has credit, debit, prepaid, specialty prepaid and gift cards.

• Membership benefits: There are a variety of promotions and benefits for Navy Federal Credit Union members including low loan rates, loan and insurance discounts, discount partner offers and more.

• Saving benefits: To support saving and financial security, the credit union offers a special high interest rate certificate of deposit.

• Mobile and text banking: The mobile app allows customers 24/7 account access and is supported by Apple, Android and Kindle Fire devices. The text banking provides alerts as well as transfers and account information.

• Advice and planning: The resource center offers extensive information about managing money, retirement, financial planning, taxes, military and work life. This portal also includes financial calculators, free navy financial planning and home buying seminars.

• Security center: The fraud protection portal gives advice regarding credit and debit card fraud, phishing scams, online and mobile security along with ATM security.

• Best for: Military members and their families who need specialized banking services stateside and overseas.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg

www.navyfederal.org

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use