1.53/5
Based on 62 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

383 Navy Federal Credit Union Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

I have been a loyal member of NFCU since I first enlisted in the Marine 10 years ago, and I honestly felt that being a member at NFCU is a special privilege for those who served. However, I recently lost $4,500 to an online fraud that have really devastated my family. This is result of someone gaining access to my NFCU account and transfer $4,500 from my checking to an external account claimed to be under my name. Despite NFCU knowing the external account does not belong to me, NFCU is holding me accountable, and is only willing to request the return of fund from Bank of America. The account does not belong to me and the fund transferred to that external account is long gone.

What is even more frustrating is the fact I informed NFCU of the fraudulent transfer less than 24 hours after it occurred, and they waited a week to request the return of fund when the money is long gone. They also is not willing to tell me which devices I have is compromised, simply says your device you did. The agent I spoke to says it is most likely me because it is not likely my device is hack?! And it's not their responsibility to care where the money went except I (my device) made the transfer?!

I also cannot get the information on which one of my devices made the transaction, and have to have the police file a Subpoena?! I honestly felt I had the best bank in the world until when I needed my bank to step up and help. It is a shame this is one of the few banks available to military members when it won't protect its own customers.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

If I can give this bank zero stars I would. First we went to talk to a mortgage representative who was rude when we told her we wanted the 30 year fixed rate and zero downpayment. We knew from beforehand talking from talking to an earlier representative this was possible. She started telling us we would have to pay 18k in downpayment not including 10k for closing cost. When we asked her to explain she ignored us and kept pestering us to pick a plan without actually explaining. Finally we left to another bank representative. At this point we found someone to help us.

We finally received a loan officer who ignored our calls, emails (yes we know she ignored us because we called different times of the day and still no answer but when we called the main branch she answered). We finally found out we were denied. We tried asking her why and she just said "You can speak to another representative on that." She was such in a rush to hang up on us. She hung up right in the middle of our sentence. RUDE ALL around!!! Unhelpful.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I applied for a home equity loan with Navy Federal Credit Union. Being a veteran, I figured they would have better rates and would take good care of me. Stupid me!!! My wife and I have excellent credit, and a lot of equity so this should have been simple. The AVM that the credit union uses lowballed my appraisal so they were going to force me to pay anywhere between $450 and $500 for a full appraisal. They told me three different prices with the loan process.

They said that because it came in lower, I either had to pay for the appraisal or pay a higher interest rate. Having been in the real estate appraisal filed for over 25 years, I know the value of my home and the AVM came in $100,000 under the actual value of my home. I cancelled the loan and went to a local bank where I got more money then I requested from the credit union, at a lower interest rate and in half the time. Navy Federal Credit Union takes advantage of people who may not have real estate knowledge and should be closed down.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

When applying online, In which you must considering there aren't any mortgage loan officers inside of the actual branches here in Georgia, the process is hell. It takes them about 72 hours or more to acknowledge your online application, and another 48 hours to assign it to a loan officer. During my process I worked with Deneen ** (now ** I believe) **. What a complete disappointment. She was non responsive to emails or phone calls. She did not show up for our arranged meeting and told me that she would have to reschedule.

Mind you, I had to drive almost a hour to meet her at the branch she was at in Alpharetta. I called for several days with no response. I finally called and angrily requested a supervisor who then transferred my paperwork over to another loan officer Sandra **. This officer was attentive in the beginning, and promised to call me back with the next steps. Never heard back. Called her and she stated she had a rough weekend and promised me a call the following day once she caught up on work. Don't hold your breath! She never called or returned any of my emails.

Needless to say, I think Navy Federal has a long way to go in the loan application process. I am happy I did not move forward with this Credit Union for such a huge purchase. I could only imagine the nightmares I would have experienced down the road. My advice would be to steer clear of Navy Federal on a mortgage or at least of these two horrible customer service driven individuals!!!

Original review: July 31, 2018

I believe NFCU is just crooked. The rules of processing change depending on the day of the week or what rep answers your call. And they aren't willing to listen. Not people friendly. Not for the people by any means. They find every way possible to charge fees and are unwilling to even accommodate a one time courtesy adjustment. Ex: I have a direct deposit that hits the 15th & last day of the month every month. Deposit in question is for 7/31.

I requested a transfer to a separate (but still NFCU) account for the same day 7/31. Instead - they took the direct deposit and all debits and ran them on 7/30 - NFCU completed the requested transfer on 7/31 and charged numerous fees for overdraft. When I called for explanation as to why some were done on the 30th - Before my official payroll (direct deposit) release and why the internal transfer was done last and on a different day - truly wanting to know how to avoid this going forward. I was at first told - my transfer scheduled for 8/01 - (if that's the case - they are wrong for doing it early) then I was told it depends on merchant posting - not true at all. Everyone gave me a different answer - Spoke to 3 people - completely contradicting what the one directly before had said. and after an hour of back and forth they say we can't explain why it posted this way but it did and the fees will stay.

#1 - it should not have been processed early - No one, anywhere, ever posts things early at any financial institution I have ever been to. #2 - As an Acct Services Supervisor I would expect that in order for you to justify charges you should be able to explain in a clear fashion (and one that is supported by the fact I should have known- rather from the fine print or elsewhere) which it was not. But I think they should be able to explain and justify charges before saying sorry it's the way it is and the charges will stay.... very poor, uneducated representatives working there.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navy Federal Credit Union?

Original review: July 25, 2018

I've cashed the exact same type of paycheck from the same company for over a year at Navy Federal, it has always cleared with no problem and now suddenly there has been a 3 day hold on all of my checks. The first time it happened I was not told by the woman at the drive through until after I deposited my check. So ever since I've gone inside to deposit my check and asked the teller about the hold, 3 times in a row I got a male teller and they waived the hold with no problem explaining to me that it is up to teller discretion whether or not to waive the hold and that all the teller has to do is look and see that my check has not bounce and there has been no suspicious activity. Well this last time I went in and got a woman teller again, she refused to waived the hold then proceeded to lie to me and say that they aren't allowed to waive holds. I told her they've waived it before and she lied again saying they can't waive it more than once.

I told her that's not true. They've done 3 times in a row and she still refused to waive it even after I explained to her that if my money wasn't in the bank my son could lose his health insurance. She uncaringly shrugged and said no. I told her to give me my check back so I could cash it elsewhere. I had to go all the way to Wal-Mart, cash my check and deposit the cash, which made me extremely late for work, so that I could have the money in the account for the insurance payment. Will very likely be using another bank from now on. And what funny is when we had a lot on our savings account I was never treated like this, we recently had car issues which took a lot out of our saving and suddenly are treated like garbage. I guess if you cash big bucks they treat you great but if you aren't doing so hot they act like you're trash.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Just wanted to my compliments to your staff at the Marron St, Carlsbad location. Your representative Ms. ** was a joy to interact with. While my business was pedestrian in nature, she treated me with great verve and professional talent. My experience was both uplifting and rewarding. I only wish other social businesses would observe such performance. I understand this little bit of, pay it forward, fluff doesn't always show up on the big radar of corporate. Nevertheless... I just wanted to testify. Kudos, to your personnel and again to Ms. **... she is very deserving of high praise. Thanks.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I used Navy Federal for the biggest loan of my life a mortgage and it was a mistake. You would think they would have their stuff together and be great at VA loans but not at all. They were asking for documents the day of my closing. Then they promised me I could buy down my interest rate the day I closed. I even told them I wanted by my interest rate down if I was within 1500.00 when I closed. When I closed I was 300$ from being able to buy down 1 point. They screwed up and didn't do it and then they tried to fix it after. They said all documents would need to be resigned by me and the seller.

The sellers broker and the title company said what Navy Fed was trying to do was illegal. They also stated that the home loan was between me, and Navy Fed and if they wanted to change it they could without the seller being involved. This statement sounds correct to me however Navy Fed said, "No. It's not correct." They have no idea about home loans and screwed me over at a higher interest rate. Please go anywhere else for a home loan and avoid the headaches with Navy Fed. My realtor, the title company, and brokers all said they hate trying to work with navy fed but now I'm stuck. For autos they do a good job but stay away from home loans!

Original review: July 10, 2018

I paid for my husband and I to eat at a small restaurant and the girl that swiped my card had swiped it a couple times because she said the card wasn’t going through after the second or third swipe it went through. I signed the receipt and left. A couple days later I noticed on my bank account that the restaurant charged me 3 times when I should have been charged once. I called the bank to let them know and as I spoke to a woman it kinda seemed like she didn’t really believe me but I told her it makes no sense why I would eat at the same place 3 times in one day!

She said they’ll look into it. In the meantime I got my money refunded back to my account. Almost 3 months later I notice that my account was being deducted for the amount that was refunded back to me, I called the bank and asked them why are they doing this and the first guy I spoke with said that they had their investigates look into it and that they found no proof that the restaurant made any mistake swiping my card more than once and charging me the same amount more than once on the same day and he said he couldn’t tell me any more.

So I asked him to speak to a supervisor and he said even if I speak to one that the supervisor can’t tell me anything other than what he told me. I told him to please put a supervisor on the phone and the supervisor came on the phone and said that there wasn’t anything that they can do because there was no proof and or paper saying that the restaurant will refund me my money, but the proof is on my bank statement I told him. He said that he can put in a request to ask for a signed receipt from the restaurant to show that I only signed one receipt. I asked him why didn’t they do that from the beginning? And again he couldn’t tell answer me... I feel robbed of this bank, I’ve never in my life had to deal with this from my other bank. Navy Fed should have helped me, but didn’t.

Original review: July 6, 2018

I’m a veteran who opened account because I was told this was a good bank. Boy was I wrong! I have never been able to use the account. Now I am being told that the account was closed a month ago. Mind you I have received no notice of this in the mail and I actually received a statement from them last month! I am currently sitting in a branch. They can see where the account was closed and there has been no check issued to me returning my funds but they don’t know where the money is! HOW?! That doesn’t even make sense. I have been here for almost an hour and I am on hold in the phone and have been for a long time now. I’m just getting the runaround which seems to be the norm for them. Do not use this bank. RUN! They will take your money and leave you high & dry! I have a terrible feeling that I will be leaving without my money today.

Original review: July 1, 2018

Just spent the last 30 minutes attempting to verify my account after representative decide to put a security alert because she heard me on speakerphone with my son on the previous call. After requesting to speak to a supervisor he began to make me start from the beginning with his additional questions! Horrible customer service and have had my accounts for over 15 years!!! Out of disbelief I actually started to record the conversation!

Original review: June 29, 2018

I have been with Navy Federal for 25 years. I have always felt that there was some fraud going on because it always seemed as if money was surreptitiously being taken out of my account. In June 2018 I deducted every amount that I spent from my initial monthly deposit and I came up 150.00 short. I noticed this when I realized an item seemed to be deducted from my checking twice. When I told NavFed, I received sarcastic nasty answers from the clerk, and being a vet with PTSD I served it right back. I sent an email to them (NavFed) and they stated go to the nearest bank. Why? Then they stated that they would send me statements in PDF files and to let them know what the discrepancy was. WHY? I told you what it was and what I did. You could do the same thing just as easily. I subtracted all of the items from my account.

Three times and I was short. Now, on June 27, my statement said I would be getting a deposit in the 29 of June for x amount of money. I have 2 deposits, VA and OPM. Well instead of both payments coming on the 29th as stated, the VA deposit came in on June 28? And the OPM deposit was now scheduled to come in in JULY 2nd. WHAT! I have never, ever received an OPM payment, when the 1st is on a Sunday the day after... AND why did it change from the 29 as initially stated in my statement.

I asked the clerk why and she seemed like she made up an answer that I have never ever heard of. Last month, in May. I asked if I could have the money deposited a day earlier in my account and they obliged. She said since I did that I was automatically enrolled in some kind of program that allocated funds a day earlier. Well, if that is the case why have I had to ask several times over the course of the year of our Lord 2018, to do that, even request to speak to a supervisor because uneducated NavFed phone clerks insist that it can’t be done. I think something is verily sneaky going on. Every time I say that, just yesterday matter of fact I get a long silence and the... I think you have issues going on in your head treatment. Something is going on.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I have had 8 years to finally come out of the fog that I have been living in. Eight years ago I had to go through trying to save my 26 year old daughter from drugs, we got behind our mortgage, for 33 years we were never behind paying our mortgage, at the time all I could think of was saving my baby! My daughter died in 2010. I then tried to get back on track with our mortgage and try to save our home, especially for my son. When I called to get help the women I spoke with just laughed and said even if I tried to pay I would lose my home anyway.

To this day the call haunts me as she could care less. She was part of our losing our home and my husband never could get out of his depression and left me after 42 years of marriage. My 39 yr. old son started drinking and never got over the loss and died Feb. 2018. My husband was in the Army for 23 yrs. and went to the Middle East a few times which was hell. I still hear that women's voice in my head and I guess I always will. What an evil person! Be careful dealing with the Navy Fed. Credit Union! Please be careful.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Have been fighting almost a year to receive my money that was taken out of my account by Stg Auto Chrysler and Santa Ana. It seems I jumped out of the frying pan into the fire. These companies have taken everything. Chrysler wiped my account out. Chrysler lies and say they didn’t and the proof is there. Stg Auto refuses to pay back what they took. It had no reason to take credit card payments. I didn’t even own a credit card. No security alert. No call for unusual activity. Nephi Navy dropped the ball. While I’m fighting another 500 comes through. No mention of all of these charges. I’m finding out by different representatives as well as different rules. When does it ever become OK to lose your money and be told it’s too late or it’s been too long. I give a damn if it’s been one day before Jesus returns if I didn’t authorize it if it wasn’t my doing and if it was my money and I didn’t spend it it’s due to me.

The reason why it’s so long they’re making me fight for my money and prove that I didn’t do it. Where does the bank do its job? I call for an audit. I can’t get it. It’s all these different rules everyone says something different but refuses to put it in writing so I’m calling for investigation of some sort. I need help. I’m not satisfied and I’m overwhelmed. My case is proven fraud and they refuse to do anything. I’m scheduled to be homeless within days and I can’t find justice anywhere. Why should I believe in something that’s not even for me? I don’t get it.

Why can’t I have my money? I have documentation to prove the fraud from the dealership of charging me for a quick minute I don’t have. Selling a car keeping it in my name refinancing it with family members it’s so much on top of my head I can’t even think. I need an attorney to help me settle The statements that I have made. I swear under oath that this is true and is not made up and I’ll speak the same words in a court of law.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Navy Federal Credit Union you should be ashamed of yourselves. So this is how you treat families of our service men and women. I've been dealing with these people for over 2 months now. All they did was put me off, keep me on the phone for hours, make me fax forms over and over again. They told me my check went out 5/31. Today I find out nothing went out, nothing was in my file. So I said, "You guys basically just lied." She said, "Yes." This is totally UNACCEPTABLE. I will continue posting, filing complaints everywhere I can.

Original review: June 6, 2018

This credit union is completely incompetent at sending international bank transfers. They cannot seem to comprehend that other countries do not have things like postal codes. They need to hire people with some international experience so they can better understand how to do business globally.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I applied for membership at NFCU 6 months ago. I opened a savings account and deposited money in the account. I then received a credit card from the company but was never given access to the card because the account was restricted. They asked for verifying documents of my address and identity which I complied with. Never heard a response back from them. I had to chase them down and asked the status. They told me to drive to a branch location (nearest was 2 hours away) to provide the supporting documentation.

Still no response. After 6 months of me chasing them I finally called again today only to be told that the restriction was permanent and will never be removed. Haha! Mind you, the credit card had already been showing on my credit report for months. ALSO, my card was stolen from my car which I had filed a police report. Their fraud department is an absolute joke. I filed a claim and was never followed up with. Two months later I received a notice of a late payment fee and that my account was in jeopardy of being marked late on my credit report.

I never had access to the card myself, maybe the thief and NFCU were in cahoots. Long story short they've done me a favor by restricting my account. NOW I'm currently being told in order to get my money back from the savings account to close the account I need to drive another 2 1/2 hours to a branch to do so. It ain't happenin'... these folks are so extremely delusional at this place. I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMEND looking at USAA Federal Savings Bank long before you ever put trust in this un-trustworthy financial institution. What an absolute joke, and they are supposed to be 'helping' veterans.

Original review: May 10, 2018

Navy Federal Credit Union has worse customer service than NetSpend, my wallet was stolen. I filed a police report and fraud claim on charges that were on my card. For three days I called and they did nothing, mind you I had already been into the bank and she did not tell me that they had frozen my account. She just gave me a new card and said it would be ready to use. I tried to go to the gas station and found out I couldn’t do anything with my account via debit card or in the branch.

I get direct deposit every single week that I could not touch until they unfroze my account, This would cause my bills to be late and extra fees to be added on. They had no sympathy and no urgency in handling this matter and I spoke with three different people for three days straight before they even put the fraud claim in. For this to be a military credit union it definitely doesn’t operate under the humility and standards of our military. The branch employees and phone customer service representatives are rude and inconsiderate. I would not recommend anyone create a new account with Navy Federal try another credit union.

Original review: May 7, 2018

What a lousy organization. $1 Charge to withdraw money even from their own atms. 5 day hold on checks deposited. Others at least release 10%. Staff doesn't seem to care. Why do business with this organization? Not me. Average rating 2 stars well deserved if not less!

Original review: April 25, 2018

Today was launch of new system. I can't get in to view account details and balance. After updating with new password, screen is blank and because it is after hours there is no one to help. New system should have been thoroughly tested before implementation and there should be extended customer service for implementation period (at least a few days)...apparently neither so that the type of customer service to expect. Other negative review about 30+ minute hold times support my opinion.

Original review: April 24, 2018

The reason is they are a terrible credit union! I will tell you that they do not know what they are doing. They approved my mom's check I deposit on the mobile app. My mom forgot to sign it, I did not catch it so two days later on they just froze everything. I was really upset I called the security of the bank. They said, "We cannot unfreeze your account for five days!" A weird lady started asking me, "Oh you have too much money going out of your account!" She was asking me questions that did not pertain to the check. I was upset. I went to the bank to try to close my account and they said my account is frozen. I was upset I started cussing and I am 100% disabled Veteran. I am manic depressive disorder.

A heavyset man told me to leave the bank now! I kept telling them I wanted my so called money and I kept asking for his name. He would not give it to me! I was upset. I pushed him, I am sorry I did that but they do not know my condition. I have never been through this before in my whole life. Then a man calls me up and he is calling from Florida Mortgage telling me that I am not allowed at their branches. I just want my money! Now I cannot go in. I do not have no money. They froze everything like a bunch of idiots. I will be going back to the V. A. hospital, I want something done about all this.

I want the heavy man out of there. I want my money! How am I gonna live now, I am not married and I am sick. This will be the third time I am in the V. A. Hospital! You do not treat Vets and military people like this. We served for our country. Is not that enough. Please get back with me as soon as you can. You have my number and my email. I want my money. I will bank at Deer Valley Credit Union. Please help me out, I also want the lady that put a freeze on everything fired! Thank you. I am sorry I got so upset at the bank and barely pushed the man. He would not give me his name. Thank you whoever takes this. I was in the Navy. Now I am sick!? I will give you my access number.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I regret opening my bank account here because of the problems me and my wife have encountered when we have to service our account. Maybe you will be lucky and not have any issues, but anytime I go into the local branch every worker there has an attitude and gives the general feeling of not wanting to work there. What's worse is when I come to them with my issue they correct me as if I caused the problem. If that's not an example of poor customer service I challenge you to find worse. I tend to be an understanding guy, but screw the idiots at this bank and branch. Even Wells Fargo wasn't this bad.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I have been a member of NFCU for 43 years and have found the credit union to be top notch. I’ve had bank accounts with other banks over the years. Primarily because the company I worked for would auto deposit my pay only at their bank. But I have always maintained my NFCU account. NFCU has financed every car I’ve bought in the past 20 years and they even finance my house. The staff are always friendly and go out of their way to be helpful and resolve any issue that arises. Everyone in my family is a member and I encourage everyone who qualifies to join.

Original review: April 10, 2018 I applied for Navy Federal Platinum credit while the zero percent balance transfer promotion was going on in February 2018. The day after I received the Navy Federal Credit Card, I also received a call that my father had died. I had left my wallet on top of my car and drove home in shock. My wallet was lost forever.

Navy Federal would not issue me another card without my sending proof of my identification, which of I course was lost with my wallet.

When I finally received the card. It was past the tone that I could get the zero percent balance transfer and they cut my card off three days after I received it for not paying the expediting fee on the first card, which I had discussed with a representative immediately after I had lost the card. Now they are billing me again and I’m not late on a darn thing. I can’t talk to the same person at any time that I talk to them. Do NOT get this card. You will be raped in the woods.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I and my business partner took an early Friday morning off to set up a business checking account at NFCU. I had everything prepared application, certificate of formation, consent from directors and an EIN verification. We arrived at 1000 hrs at a branch in Sugar Land, Texas. We were told to wait in the lobby and within 5 minutes a young man shows up and I noticed that his badge was upside down so I let him know (this was an omen). He explains to us that not only do the two of us have to be on the account but our 2 other Board of Directors as well. I tell him no, that does not sound right. So he calls the business HQs and they tell him that the other directors do not need to be on the account but eligible to be members.

I told him that does not sound right either. So he called another rep and she took our documents uploaded them to the Business HQ department and we were told we would receive word within 3 business days. I called back 2 days after I received a voicemail. The guy on the other line was an ignoramus who tells me that not only do the other directors need to be members but that I need to resubmit my certificate of formation paperwork to state that my name really has a Jr after it because that is what my account says. I did curse telling him that this was BS. He told me that according to The Secrecy Act of 1970 that I had to do this. I asked him fine send me the policy - He tells me that NFCU is not obligated to send me the policy.

I hung up and called Customer Service a day later. I told the rep what had happen to me and told her she was the 3rd person I talked to in order to get a business account. She tried to put me through to Business HQ Dept - Leader a Ms. **. Ms ** was in a meeting so she told me she would leave a message and that Ms. ** would call me back within 48 hours. No call from Ms. **. Lo and behold it's Friday again a week later and my business partner says we got a business access number from NFCU. So he calls NFCU and the rep in the Business HQ Dept and she says just put no on the application and the directors need to be eligible but no necessarily members and to disregard the Secrecy Law of 1970. So we create a new application go back to the same branch. We asked to speak to a manager. The manager pawns us off on another worker who is training another worker.

She listens as we tell her that she is the eighth person we have talked to in order to get a business account. She calls the Business HQ Dept and they tell her that the directors of our board have to be members. I thought I was going to lose my mind. So I tell her that one of our boards of directors is in Korea living out of tent on active duty and that it is midnight there because of the 14 hour difference. She apologizes but tells us she cannot help us any further. I give my business partner the "My PTSD is at an all-time high" look and we go across the street to BBVA Compass and open up a business account in less than an hour. This is a true story - I promise I can't make this stuff up.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I've seen a lot of post bad experience, but mine has been by far a really good experience. Any fraudulent activities on my account had been taken care of immediately regardless if it was my credit card or checking. I recently found out about getting my paycheck released a day early and that is always a plus when something happens. When I need to get that done, the rep just verifies some information and my funds are available within minutes. Yes, the return check fee is a bit high, but that's where you should be responsible with spending. I think my only issue would be that the interest on the credit cards are too high. Other than that my family and I all love Navy Fed.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I wanted to refinance my house, and in talking to NFCU's representative, they said it would be faster to apply for membership with a deposit. I went online several times and tried to get an account. Their temporary pin and verification system was a nightmare. After they gave me the loan information, I decided not to refinance. So, about 20 months later from when I opened my account, I got a letter informing me I owed NFCU money. I discovered NFCU had been charging me $5/month for an "e-checking" account from my ($100) savings account. I don't know if the checking and savings accounts are severable; but if it had been an Everyday Checking a $50 deposit would have covered any fees.

Since I never intended to use the NFCU account if I didn't get a loan, I wouldn't have signed myself up for another checking account with a debit card, and certainly not one which have cost me $5/month. I called Customer Service. NFCU could have deleted the checking account and credited me the $100 towards my savings account; they give credits for referrals, but NO, they were very apologetic. So, I closed my account. See ya! Maybe you don't need customers like me; but then you don't need my money either.

Original review: March 12, 2018

My husband is been with Navy Federal 24 years. The last 5 years Navy Federal is a pain in my **. Customer services is the worse. They no want to help or have some excuses, I have two loan with them. One is a consolidation loan. I ask for put the 2 loan in one. They say, "No. We no do consolidation loan." Really? I have one with them, I no ask for more money. I ask put the two loan in one payment one interest. They say no, they want to have two payments. Every time I say this to another person say this is really no right that why I change bank.

Is been really good. I know I still need to pay the loan but I have better atm, I have better bank, customer service is better, every time you deposit is in your account same day or next day. We're no the only with this problem and with other problem people have we Navy Federal. I put this for the people know my EXPERIENCE AND THAT YOU OUR VETERANS AND ALL OUR SOLDIERS DESERVE BETTER DEAL AND BETTER CREDIT UNION OR BANK.

Original review: March 10, 2018

These idiots must think people are stupid (maybe we are for banking with them)!!! I had an available credit of $10,350.71 on my credit yesterday. I used my card for business purposes and spent $4,125.54, which left me with a remaining credit of $6,374.63. I made a payment of $6,000 after my purchases. This should give me an available credit of $12,374.63 once the payment clears. I went onto the site to see if the payment cleared, and found out that I had an available balance of $2,374.63. Then it showed I had a credited amount of $4,009.78.

I called the bank and was told that it was because of my payment of $6,000. I asked her how since the payment was on hold and had not been posted to the account. She tried to tell me that once it cleared I would have a balance of $8000+. After presenting her with the pending transactions, I literally had to make the representative go item by item to show her that her and the bank's calculations do not add up. After we reviewed everything, she admitted that I was correct and wanted to speak to her supervisor about it. When she came back, she went back to saying what she was saying originally. I was told that I would be able to see what she is saying on Tuesday.

So not only did they take my available credit, but now I have to wait until Tuesday to see if my account has been reconciled. In addition to this, I use my credit card for business purposes and now I have to put my business needs on hold until this mess is cleared up. I have NEVER had a bad experience with any bank like this before!!! The representative's attitude was condescending and rude! Once my balance is paid completely, I will be cancelling this account!!! The absolute worst!!!

Original review: March 10, 2018

I've been banking with NFCU since 2000. I finally have the chance to find out how their customer service department and "digital service department" treat their client. I have a monthly direct deposit to my account hoping to accumulate funds for my kids future. I forgot my password for online access so I contacted the customer service department and digital service department. I went through almost 6 hours of hassle attempting to have my "code word" removed.

I sent faxes of my government issued photo(s) identifications and signature which I was instructed by the rep. "Dave, Austin, Antony and Tamera." I provided my SSN, DOB, and whatever else they request and yet they weren't able to assist me. I finally get a chance to speak to their supervisor "Brady" after I requested to have my code word removed. Note: Brady and Tamera was pretty helpful but the rest of the reps should find another occupation other than customer service profession. All these hassle and frustration, I request to closed my account.

Navy Federal Credit Union expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Navy Federal Credit Union was founded in 1933 with seven members and has grown to have 5 million today. Members must be affiliated with the Department of Defense, Coast Guard, National Guard or U.S. Armed Forces. Immediate family members of the Navy Federal Credit Union can also join.

• Products and services: Navy Federal Credit Union offers a complete suite of checking, savings, credit cards and loan products. They also provide online and mobile banking.

• Credit cards: The credit union has credit, debit, prepaid, specialty prepaid and gift cards.

• Membership benefits: There are a variety of promotions and benefits for Navy Federal Credit Union members including low loan rates, loan and insurance discounts, discount partner offers and more.

• Saving benefits: To support saving and financial security, the credit union offers a special high interest rate certificate of deposit.

• Mobile and text banking: The mobile app allows customers 24/7 account access and is supported by Apple, Android and Kindle Fire devices. The text banking provides alerts as well as transfers and account information.

• Advice and planning: The resource center offers extensive information about managing money, retirement, financial planning, taxes, military and work life. This portal also includes financial calculators, free navy financial planning and home buying seminars.

• Security center: The fraud protection portal gives advice regarding credit and debit card fraud, phishing scams, online and mobile security along with ATM security.

• Best for: Military members and their families who need specialized banking services stateside and overseas.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg

Vienna
VA
www.navyfederal.org

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business