2.7/5 (156 ratings)

Find Banks and Credit Unions partners near you

About Navy Federal Credit Union

Find Banks and Credit Unions partners near you

Navy Federal Credit Union Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navy Federal Credit Union?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navy Federal Credit Union?

Original review: Oct. 29, 2021

Sandra went above and beyond to make sure 1. My rent check was processed. (wonderful service, thank you) She also in detail explained your bill pay service and convinced me to give it a try. In general, Navy Federal Credit Union ROCKS. Y'all are wonderful and will be my family bank as long as possible. Thank you for your service and dedication.

Original review: June 14, 2021

Representatives are knowledgeable, always willing to work with you to resolve any issues. I've been with Navy Federal for years, and I plan to stick with them as long as possible as long as I keep receiving the awesome service that I have been getting.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 7, 2021

I have been a NFCU member now for over 20 years and cannot say enough about how wonderful they have been. Just recently someone had gotten my credit card information and was charging stuff left and right on my account but thank God NFCU noticed the charges way before I did and placed a stop on all charges to my account and then contacted me to let me know. I have since gotten a new card and was not responsible for any of the charges that were made on my account. I am just so thankful for the great work the NFCU representative did to get me all set up with my new card and assure me everything was good to go and all the charges were cleared against me. I just cannot say how The NFCU team has brought me peace of mind. I recommend them to everyone.

Original review: June 2, 2021

I would have given them a 10 as that is how great the CU is...They are seriously geared towards customer service and their members are number one. I have been with them for 6 years now and I am so glad I switched of crappy BOA. BOA doesn't give one rat's butt about their customers. Navy Federal goes out of their way to make sure you are happy and well taken care of.

Original review: May 31, 2021

I like that they have fingerprint and face recognition when signing on and dual layer protection when signing on with other devices like my tablet/computer. It gives me added assurance when I log in. If I know a pending deposit is waiting to post I can go to their online calendar to see what day it's going to post to my account. Everything I need is easy to navigate to on the app and online. I'm a very satisfied customer of Navy Federal...they helped me with guidance to help build my credit and my rep offered to let me call him during that time with questions, which I did a couple of times. So glad I found them!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

Unfortunately, they lack customer care. Applied for a VA mortgage-took a week. Called, reply was email. USAA approved, they didn't. They also had "VA required" for a "nearest family member not living with you." Utter garbage, USAA and Rocket Mortgage -- "not required by VA". I checked the VA website and it is not mandatory. Navy Fed reminds me of the old school banks who are grossly concerned with their bottom line, the most restrictive requirements to get a loan, and little to have rates that are comparable.

3.1% with USAA and same with Navy. Go to Nerdwallet and compare Vet United (at your own risk), Navy Fed - (bad support, backwards online application - want purchase agreement before you can get a pre-approval). USAA was good, superior customer service/follow up with them not computer. Though USAA's interest rates and numbers for closing are a mixed bag. I would not recommend doing business with Navy Fed. Beware too of contingent upon purchase pushed by loan officer--"as long you pay this off by closing, we'll provide the loan." And if you can't, you lose the house and the money, nightmare!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

I will leave separate reviews for other aspects of banking with NFCU but when it comes to business accounts, they're absolutely incompetent. In summary, NFCU is a community credit union that wants to be as powerful as a large financial institution but seemingly does not have a strategy other than "raise rates, nickel and dime". When it comes to Business banking, they're just clueless. They took their personal banking square peg and just shoved it through the round hole of business banking. It's like a cheap fast-food franchise trying to offer an elevated dining experience. It simply does not work. There is no dedicated team of representatives to talk to on the phone and the situation is even worse at the branches.

Most of their enhanced services are outsourced ("partnered") so expect a conflict of interest when dealing with investment accounts and mortgages. On the Business banking side of things, I can't even trust them to deposit a client check and for them to honor their own hold policy. They send you a confirmation email that they will hold it for 2 days and then they hold it for 7. Even when you call them out on their errors, they simply point the finger to someone else outside of NFCU, even the Fed. Absolutely terrible. USAA they are not! I've been with them for 28 years and I wish I had the energy to find a better bank for business accounts. Right now they're the devil I know.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

My mortgage payment is due on the first of each month and I received a call on the 4th asking when my payment will be made and will I pay today. I explained that I have had this mortgage going on 3 years and never late once so why are you calling me when it is not late until the 16th of the month and the payment she called about was paid so she explained that she didn't have up to date info this has never happened before and I made it known that this is very disrespectful and I expect it to never happen again. My payments have always been on time and I am appalled that this happened.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

This credit union has a creed about their customers first. I can say this is not true. I was an USAA members switched to Navy Federal Credit Union, had nothing but problems from the start. Set up a direct deposit from my money from VA benefits. Would not let me take any money out even with a military ID and driver's licenses. I had to go home and get a paper bill to prove I live at this address. Which I did when I set up the account, I just wanted my money. Then they locked me out from the online part, still to this day two months now I still can't get online. I keep calling and they tell me they're working on it. YES, I will be closing soon.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2021

I have been with them for 25 years but that is soon to end. After 3 attempts to do a mortgage they did not do any of them, because they can't even compete at a basic customer service level with any major or minor lender. They won't get back with you, they are inexperienced and they do not follow up. The last straw is when they refused to process a wire transfer to close on a loan, because they have exceedingly ridiculous internal controls that defy all logic and reason when it comes to service, but at least they are protecting me from wire fraud. When I am only dealing with another major bank and a title company. This company has really gotten to be one of the worst customer service in the banking industry no matter the type. Their hold times are ridiculous for a CU that specializes (or used to) in remote banking.

Take a Mortgage Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Navy Federal Credit Union author review by Barbara Friedberg

Navy Federal Credit Union was founded in 1933 with seven members and has grown to have 5 million today. Members must be affiliated with the Department of Defense, Coast Guard, National Guard or U.S. Armed Forces. Immediate family members of the Navy Federal Credit Union can also join.

• Products and services: Navy Federal Credit Union offers a complete suite of checking, savings, credit cards and loan products. They also provide online and mobile banking.

• Credit cards: The credit union has credit, debit, prepaid, specialty prepaid and gift cards.

• Membership benefits: There are a variety of promotions and benefits for Navy Federal Credit Union members including low loan rates, loan and insurance discounts, discount partner offers and more.

• Saving benefits: To support saving and financial security, the credit union offers a special high interest rate certificate of deposit.

• Mobile and text banking: The mobile app allows customers 24/7 account access and is supported by Apple, Android and Kindle Fire devices. The text banking provides alerts as well as transfers and account information.

• Advice and planning: The resource center offers extensive information about managing money, retirement, financial planning, taxes, military and work life. This portal also includes financial calculators, free navy financial planning and home buying seminars.

• Security center: The fraud protection portal gives advice regarding credit and debit card fraud, phishing scams, online and mobile security along with ATM security.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Advisor