1.53/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

414 Navy Federal Credit Union Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I do not recommend NFCU to anyone looking for a bank. They advertise they support their members but this is not true. I have been a member for over 20 years and through their policies are keeping almost 3,000.00 dollars I have in escrow. I have tried numerous times to have them issue my money to me but they are refusing to do so. 3K may not seem like a lot of money to them but apparently if you become a member you are just another number…

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

NFCU beat bank I've ever had. Hands down. Always help out in a pinch. Fees aren't crazy for overdrafts and it's really hard to believe that all the reviews on here are negative. Some people must not have ever banked with a large bank. Thanks NFCU for helping me out all the time.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

My veteran husband passed leaving me as a beneficiary and or joint on the accounts. I submitted the death certificate immediately and complied with their paperwork requirements. They have delayed access to accounts either visually or to funds. It's been a month. That's scary for anyone that needs to pay bills. They had a glitch throughout all Navy recently and it showed no money in the accounts. That's great! Beware!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I recently had an uncle who was killed accidentally in a car accident, my family sued and recovered a settlement, of course, it’s not enough and could never replace my uncle. However, my grandmother wanted to make sure that all the grandchildren were given something from my uncle. So, she sends cashier’s checks for Christmas from Commerce Bank. Navy Federal put a hold on the “cashier’s check” during Christmas. NFCU could call Commerce to verify the funds in five minutes. NFCU branch superior “Teresa” actually said that Commerce Bank does not verify their cashier's checks “REALLY”, which I know that any bank that is FDIC insured must verify funds, especially to another Bank! This was relayed to me by NFCU call center supervisor “Kate.” Because “Teresa,” refused my call.

I was forced to call Commerce Bank myself and ask this simple question and “Lacy” with Commerce’s Bank, of course, stated that was not true there is 800 number that is printed on the check to verify funds. So, both of the NFCU supervisors get a fail! For NOT helping a customer with 20 years of membership and profiling my family and yes, I do think this was racially motivated! YOU CAN DO BETTER NFCU!!!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

*WARNING*! All the NEGATIVE MORTGAGE REVIEWS ARE TRUE!! Their customer service is the WORST! READ YOUR DOCS CAREFULLY and FEES BREAKDOWN! They were inconsistent and fees were outrageous! They avoid answering your emails, voicemails, and never give you any updates! It was very difficult to get a hold of our loan officer! She obviously was avoiding us! She Flat out lied to us about NOT CHARGING the [NON-REFUNDABLE] Appraisal fees! We hadn’t even submitted all required docs nor schedule any Appraisal appointment!

Mallory ** swore up and down, had reassured us that an appraisal fee would NOT BE CHARGED until we gave her the ”OK” o proceed! We had just spoken to her to hold off on the loan, and guess what?! She charges us the appraisal fee that same evening! After a week of trying get a hold of her- she finally took our call and said the fee is NON-Refundable. We confronted her regarding our previous conversation and she says: that she sees that the $495 fee is being refunded and we’d have to wait until 3 business days. Ugh. BTW, and yes she’s going to be on vacation too (for almost 2 weeks). SMH! AVOID them!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navy Federal Credit Union?

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I tried to get an account opened and they had trouble verifying my info, they asked for a photo ID and a utility bill which I sent via their secured document link. Got an email saying the documents were received. Today I got a letter asking for the documents again. If they cannot manage to keep track of important documents sent and received, I sure wouldn't trust them with my $$. I'm really regretting sending the documents now, with all the identity theft issues, I think these folks are incompetent...

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I've been with Navy Federal for several years, and no problems to date. Got a secured credit card with $500 being held, then after 9 months or so, my credit card was upgraded to a $2,000 and my $500 security was returned. Keep in mind, folks, that the 99% of customers that have a fine experience, so don't really think of coming to write a review on it.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

The fraudulent department is so horrible. I been fighting for my $41,200 for 3 years - keep getting denied because they want to say civil and good faith. This bank let my ex cash my cashier check written in my name, never had joint accounts. We were separated, she had a restraining order against me. I was incarcerated the day she forge and cashed my check, have proof of it and they keep denying me. Someone please let me know if anybody can help. This make me homeless and ever since it be a struggle.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

My wallet got stolen, I tried to stop all transaction and they never did, let my account overdrawn from fraud activity. After many request along with police report to close my account they never did. For $168 (fraud activity) charge, they put $730 fees in 30 days and then close my account. (Never did when I asked to.) And then started recovering $730. Says they help military, but instead take advantage for every little bit. Already dealing with identity theft and now this greedy bank, that takes money any time. We stopped all transaction through them and started paying their fees (that shouldn't be there in the first place) in fear of spoiling credit in monthly installment.

Next, the check of $50 that suppose to go in IRA account, without permission or notifying they just ate up along with monthly installment that I am paying regularly. Do any laws or rules stop these greedy people, taking advantage like this? Why they can still advertise as a military supporter after cheating a number of families as they have already done? I wish I can afford to pay the court fees to fight against such unethical organization.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

After reading these reviews, seems like they screw a lot of folks on fraud. Aka they do not want to protect you aka payout. Anywho, So, I used Navy federal for 9+ years. I had many personal loans, car loans, credit cards etc. All paid In good standing and on time. Well one day, I had $3800+ of a fraudulent transaction on my account. I had physical proof that it was fraud. Well Navy Federal refunded the money. (Money was used for car repairs, shop charged when I was not even there) So I paid another shop to actually do the work and fix the car.

Few days later, Navy Fed reversed the reversal they did and said they were accurate charges. Now I had already been told by 2 members at the branch this was clear as could be, fraud. NAVY FED told me I had 30 days to pay back the negative balance (it took me negative to have that amount yanked from my account due to already paying the other shop). Well Navy Fed received my direct deposits. So I asked them to add up what I make, and to add up how much I pay them monthly, and how the thought I had the money to pay that In 30 days. (No I don't make enough to cover all the Bills and this now negative amount.) They continued to tell me, "If it's not paid in 30 days it will go to collections," boom there goes my credit. But wait, if I pay it, then my Bills are going to be late. Boom! It's a lose-lose situation.

Long story short it's all getting charged off and they are not receiving a dime from me. Oh that's because they yanked the money I had left over, and my direct deposit that was hitting the next day so I was forced to file bankruptcy. The one time I needed them to do what they are supposed to. Protect me, and they hurt worse than the fraud did.

Don't get me started on what they just did to my roommate. Long story short, they somehow managed to get 2 vehicle loans on the same vehicle, made him sign a promissory note stating he will register the title to the d.m.v as him and Navy Federal as the lien holders, yet he can't due to they messed up and allows a second loan to go out knowing they had another customer with a loan not paid off aka has a lien on it, gave him 30 days to get it fixed or his interest would go up 10%+ due to they would convert it to unsecured loan, for their mistake. They even admitted that it was not done properly and he should not of even been able to get the loan, but somehow he has to fix something. But funny part is Navy Fed already owns the vehicle. Sigh. Reading all these reviews, sounds like Navy Federal is going to **.

Navy Federal Credit Union expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Navy Federal Credit Union was founded in 1933 with seven members and has grown to have 5 million today. Members must be affiliated with the Department of Defense, Coast Guard, National Guard or U.S. Armed Forces. Immediate family members of the Navy Federal Credit Union can also join.

• Products and services: Navy Federal Credit Union offers a complete suite of checking, savings, credit cards and loan products. They also provide online and mobile banking.

• Credit cards: The credit union has credit, debit, prepaid, specialty prepaid and gift cards.

• Membership benefits: There are a variety of promotions and benefits for Navy Federal Credit Union members including low loan rates, loan and insurance discounts, discount partner offers and more.

• Saving benefits: To support saving and financial security, the credit union offers a special high interest rate certificate of deposit.

• Mobile and text banking: The mobile app allows customers 24/7 account access and is supported by Apple, Android and Kindle Fire devices. The text banking provides alerts as well as transfers and account information.

• Advice and planning: The resource center offers extensive information about managing money, retirement, financial planning, taxes, military and work life. This portal also includes financial calculators, free navy financial planning and home buying seminars.

• Security center: The fraud protection portal gives advice regarding credit and debit card fraud, phishing scams, online and mobile security along with ATM security.

• Best for: Military members and their families who need specialized banking services stateside and overseas.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg