1.87/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 10, 2018

361 Navy Federal Credit Union Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 10, 2018

I have been a member of NFCU for 43 years and have found the credit union to be top notch. I’ve had bank accounts with other banks over the years. Primarily because the company I worked for would auto deposit my pay only at their bank. But I have always maintained my NFCU account. NFCU has financed every car I’ve bought in the past 20 years and they even finance my house. The staff are always friendly and go out of their way to be helpful and resolve any issue that arises. Everyone in my family is a member and I encourage everyone who qualifies to join.

Original review: April 10, 2018 I applied for Navy Federal Platinum credit while the zero percent balance transfer promotion was going on in February 2018. The day after I received the Navy Federal Credit Card, I also received a call that my father had died. I had left my wallet on top of my car and drove home in shock. My wallet was lost forever.

Navy Federal would not issue me another card without my sending proof of my identification, which of I course was lost with my wallet.

When I finally received the card. It was past the tone that I could get the zero percent balance transfer and they cut my card off three days after I received it for not paying the expediting fee on the first card, which I had discussed with a representative immediately after I had lost the card. Now they are billing me again and I’m not late on a darn thing. I can’t talk to the same person at any time that I talk to them. Do NOT get this card. You will be raped in the woods.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I and my business partner took an early Friday morning off to set up a business checking account at NFCU. I had everything prepared application, certificate of formation, consent from directors and an EIN verification. We arrived at 1000 hrs at a branch in Sugar Land, Texas. We were told to wait in the lobby and within 5 minutes a young man shows up and I noticed that his badge was upside down so I let him know (this was an omen). He explains to us that not only do the two of us have to be on the account but our 2 other Board of Directors as well. I tell him no, that does not sound right. So he calls the business HQs and they tell him that the other directors do not need to be on the account but eligible to be members.

I told him that does not sound right either. So he called another rep and she took our documents uploaded them to the Business HQ department and we were told we would receive word within 3 business days. I called back 2 days after I received a voicemail. The guy on the other line was an ignoramus who tells me that not only do the other directors need to be members but that I need to resubmit my certificate of formation paperwork to state that my name really has a Jr after it because that is what my account says. I did curse telling him that this was BS. He told me that according to The Secrecy Act of 1970 that I had to do this. I asked him fine send me the policy - He tells me that NFCU is not obligated to send me the policy.

I hung up and called Customer Service a day later. I told the rep what had happen to me and told her she was the 3rd person I talked to in order to get a business account. She tried to put me through to Business HQ Dept - Leader a Ms. **. Ms ** was in a meeting so she told me she would leave a message and that Ms. ** would call me back within 48 hours. No call from Ms. **. Lo and behold it's Friday again a week later and my business partner says we got a business access number from NFCU. So he calls NFCU and the rep in the Business HQ Dept and she says just put no on the application and the directors need to be eligible but no necessarily members and to disregard the Secrecy Law of 1970. So we create a new application go back to the same branch. We asked to speak to a manager. The manager pawns us off on another worker who is training another worker.

She listens as we tell her that she is the eighth person we have talked to in order to get a business account. She calls the Business HQ Dept and they tell her that the directors of our board have to be members. I thought I was going to lose my mind. So I tell her that one of our boards of directors is in Korea living out of tent on active duty and that it is midnight there because of the 14 hour difference. She apologizes but tells us she cannot help us any further. I give my business partner the "My PTSD is at an all-time high" look and we go across the street to BBVA Compass and open up a business account in less than an hour. This is a true story - I promise I can't make this stuff up.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I've seen a lot of post bad experience, but mine has been by far a really good experience. Any fraudulent activities on my account had been taken care of immediately regardless if it was my credit card or checking. I recently found out about getting my paycheck released a day early and that is always a plus when something happens. When I need to get that done, the rep just verifies some information and my funds are available within minutes. Yes, the return check fee is a bit high, but that's where you should be responsible with spending. I think my only issue would be that the interest on the credit cards are too high. Other than that my family and I all love Navy Fed.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I wanted to refinance my house, and in talking to NFCU's representative, they said it would be faster to apply for membership with a deposit. I went online several times and tried to get an account. Their temporary pin and verification system was a nightmare. After they gave me the loan information, I decided not to refinance. So, about 20 months later from when I opened my account, I got a letter informing me I owed NFCU money. I discovered NFCU had been charging me $5/month for an "e-checking" account from my ($100) savings account. I don't know if the checking and savings accounts are severable; but if it had been an Everyday Checking a $50 deposit would have covered any fees.

Since I never intended to use the NFCU account if I didn't get a loan, I wouldn't have signed myself up for another checking account with a debit card, and certainly not one which have cost me $5/month. I called Customer Service. NFCU could have deleted the checking account and credited me the $100 towards my savings account; they give credits for referrals, but NO, they were very apologetic. So, I closed my account. See ya! Maybe you don't need customers like me; but then you don't need my money either.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navy Federal Credit Union?

Original review: March 12, 2018

My husband is been with Navy Federal 24 years. The last 5 years Navy Federal is a pain in my **. Customer services is the worse. They no want to help or have some excuses, I have two loan with them. One is a consolidation loan. I ask for put the 2 loan in one. They say, "No. We no do consolidation loan." Really? I have one with them, I no ask for more money. I ask put the two loan in one payment one interest. They say no, they want to have two payments. Every time I say this to another person say this is really no right that why I change bank.

Is been really good. I know I still need to pay the loan but I have better atm, I have better bank, customer service is better, every time you deposit is in your account same day or next day. We're no the only with this problem and with other problem people have we Navy Federal. I put this for the people know my EXPERIENCE AND THAT YOU OUR VETERANS AND ALL OUR SOLDIERS DESERVE BETTER DEAL AND BETTER CREDIT UNION OR BANK.

Original review: March 10, 2018

These idiots must think people are stupid (maybe we are for banking with them)!!! I had an available credit of $10,350.71 on my credit yesterday. I used my card for business purposes and spent $4,125.54, which left me with a remaining credit of $6,374.63. I made a payment of $6,000 after my purchases. This should give me an available credit of $12,374.63 once the payment clears. I went onto the site to see if the payment cleared, and found out that I had an available balance of $2,374.63. Then it showed I had a credited amount of $4,009.78.

I called the bank and was told that it was because of my payment of $6,000. I asked her how since the payment was on hold and had not been posted to the account. She tried to tell me that once it cleared I would have a balance of $8000+. After presenting her with the pending transactions, I literally had to make the representative go item by item to show her that her and the bank's calculations do not add up. After we reviewed everything, she admitted that I was correct and wanted to speak to her supervisor about it. When she came back, she went back to saying what she was saying originally. I was told that I would be able to see what she is saying on Tuesday.

So not only did they take my available credit, but now I have to wait until Tuesday to see if my account has been reconciled. In addition to this, I use my credit card for business purposes and now I have to put my business needs on hold until this mess is cleared up. I have NEVER had a bad experience with any bank like this before!!! The representative's attitude was condescending and rude! Once my balance is paid completely, I will be cancelling this account!!! The absolute worst!!!

Original review: March 10, 2018

I've been banking with NFCU since 2000. I finally have the chance to find out how their customer service department and "digital service department" treat their client. I have a monthly direct deposit to my account hoping to accumulate funds for my kids future. I forgot my password for online access so I contacted the customer service department and digital service department. I went through almost 6 hours of hassle attempting to have my "code word" removed.

I sent faxes of my government issued photo(s) identifications and signature which I was instructed by the rep. "Dave, Austin, Antony and Tamera." I provided my SSN, DOB, and whatever else they request and yet they weren't able to assist me. I finally get a chance to speak to their supervisor "Brady" after I requested to have my code word removed. Note: Brady and Tamera was pretty helpful but the rest of the reps should find another occupation other than customer service profession. All these hassle and frustration, I request to closed my account.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I applied for a pre-qual mortgage letter and received one after providing all required information including the fact that I have an approved retirement date. Having received an approved pre-qual I signed a contract on a home, paid for a home inspection and proceeded with the purchase process until I was notified that they would in fact NOT lend me the money to purchase a home as I was retiring in eight months. After I was denied I asked if they would please email me the credit report that they charged me $18.50 for and they refused stating that I would receive a copy from Equifax in 7-10 business days. Even though they had a digital copy of my report, they refused to send a copy to me. I have borrowed from Navy Fed for mortgages twice before without issue or concern but the level of service and lack of thorough screening in the pre-qual process cost me $348.50 that could have been avoided.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

My husband and I have been going through Navy Federal and taking advantage of his VA benefits for our new mortgage. Navy Federal has been the absolute worst when it comes to this process. It started out great, low interest rate, getting information over to them and getting decent feedback. Then all of a sudden our rep through Navy Federal dropped us to a new person. We have since then been bounced between these two reps without any explanation as to why. And that person then started asking for information we had already provided. Claiming it wasn't received. Then we would get the info into them again, ask if they needed anything else, receiving a "no" response.

The next day we would get a call "If you don't get ____ information into us by close of business today we will be forced to extend your closing date." This happened 4 times! Yesterday my husband called in and approved our closing date. I just got a call saying they never received approval. I'm fed up with Navy Federal and will not be going through with them with my next home unless the interest rate is a multitude lower than the others! This process has been a nightmare. I didn't expect it to be the easiest process, but I didn't expect them to lose all my information, claim we never provided it and bounce us between representatives.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

We have been with NFCU for 30+ years. We recently applied for a mortgage loan and were promised for a prompt response. We have an outstanding credit 800+. It took our mortgage officer over a week to call us regarding our application and it was very apparent that she had never looked at our application when she called. She did not even know who the vet was and I had included the DD214 in the package. I asked that her supervisor give me a call. It has been six weeks. No call. I have called and it is impossible to reach anyone to speak with them. We went through NFCU before and it was wonderful. Their practices and ethics have taken a nose dive. Do NOT use this company. There are no longer any ethics. They will lie when the truth would do better.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I didn't care for them the last time I used them. I thought well maybe things are better after 10 years or more. I was wrong. First, if you have any money in your account and you are late on a bill they take all they need. I've talked to other people this has happened to. Second, no matter how many loans you have they will be due on the same date. The date is based on your account number. Apparently, the 11th is my date. I asked a lady to change it... her response was "well... pay your bills a month early." While that would be nice, I hope to get to that point.

I asked another lady. Her response was nice and she had never heard of a bank not being able to change it either. She had worked several places before. Oh and if you or they 'accidentally' transfer your money for a bill twice, they won't cancel a transfer for you. You can just starve and overdraft your other bank! I am doing everything I can to get away from them for good. The people you talk to are nice but they can never ever help you. They blame their 'system.' "Oh the system won't allow me," is their answer for everything!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

Navy Federal notified me by phone that someone was fraudulently using my credit card. The representative advised of the charges and situation and said they would handle it, and not to worry. I kept in contact with them regarding the additional charges that were made. They cancelled my card and husband's cards and sent new cards by overnight mail. 3 months later the larger of the fraudulent charges were placed by on my account with my knowledge. I went online to make my payment and noticed my card was way over the limit. I put in a dispute for the charges and the agent basically accused me of lying because there is a chip in my card. Since I'm not a criminal, I know nothing about Chips. I've spoken with 3 representatives and they still have not removed the charges. My credit scores have been affected by this, since my card is over it's limit! Terrible customer service!!!!!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

I've been a member since the first few weeks of boot camp in Jan 2001. In that 17 years they've only me no once when I needed a loan or credit and had nowhere else to turn. I'll admit the interest rates could be better for some of the services, especially for a long-term member; but they are still competitive with the market. Overall, I love being a member!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

My husband and I have been banking with NFCU for over 7 years now. He was active duty in the USMC, but now he is retired. We also bank with Truliant, and the only reason we didn't use NFCU is because they didn't provide the type of account we needed. NFCU has always really helped us out through many different situations of financial hardship, but I'll just share the experience I had today with them.

I had made some purchases on eBay using my PayPal account, apparently I didn't notice it defaulted to the incorrect PayPal account that had no funds in it, so when eBay tried to charge me it couldn't and therefore they decided to charge my bank account; but our NFCU account didn't have funds at the time. So subsequently we were charged the $29.00 fee... 4 TIMES! So here I was with $116 in fees due to a simple mistake. I called NFCU looking to have them help me out with this, and explained the situation to the representative.

They completely removed the fees... I mean, all $116!!! It's 5 days from Christmas, so everyone knows it's a time of year where finances are very tight (especially with our 4 children!). I can't express my gratitude to NFCU. They are truly not your normal bank/credit union. I was actually taken aback by all the negative reviews on here. I can't speak much about home loans (we went through someone else for ours) but we have a car loan with them as well, again, no issues.

I can honestly say Navy Federal truly cares for their members. I plan to continue banking with them for as long as they are in existence. There are so many wonderful things about NFCU. Their refund of ATM fees, their $500 OOPS overdraft, their extremely wonderful customer service. I mean, these aren't your average qualities of your average bank/credit union. They simply want YOU as a member, not just your money.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I had applied for a small personal loan. I make more than enough money to pay the loan back but we had an emergency and I asked to borrow $7K. I have been with them for years. Twice they screwed my credit up by making hard inquiries and denying a credit increase. Last time they put it in the system like 8 times and it dropped my score. My credit score is in the 600s. It’s not great but could be worse they told me. We use not only credit but other factors, after giving the woman my information I get "oh I'm sorry you have been denied". What? You know that after 5 minutes on the phone with me?

So basically it IS credit based and you don't care a bit about Veterans and any emergencies we might be having? These guys are like any other bank. It’s all about what they can do for themselves. It’s sad so many people take advantage of Veterans and it’s hard to find someone who cares. DO NOT let this bank ruin your credit score. They do not care about you.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I paid a credit card off in full to Navy Federal. Had payments taken out of my Wells Fargo account, told them to stop after I paid them in full, Navy Federal would not stop nor would they despot the money back into my Wells Fargo account. They said I gave them permission to take money out... not for ever. I did not. My account was paid in full and they kept taking money even after I told them not to... STAY AWAY FROM HERE. Going to a lawyer. And they are charging me for my checks I charged back to them, going to small claims court. DO NOT SET UP AUTOMATIC PAYMENTS. THEY WILL NOT STOP TAKING MONEY!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

This bank is horrible, they help themselves to your hard earned money! Don’t dare have a emergency and be behind on a payment, not only will they take it out of your account without your permission, they will freeze your account! Thanks for being understanding Navy Federal, had a family emergency and they took my child care payment out of my account and left the account in the negative, now my loan payment is not 5 days past due anymore but I can’t go to work!! Wouldn’t even let me make the payment up next week!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I lost my car in electrical short wire 5 mos. ago. So I wanted to get car loan for another car. They "no" in 1 minute now. My credit is low now. But I have been with Credit Union for 25 years. Now can't work any overtime because of no car. Well I'm upset. This credit union get 4 F's in attitude toward Veterans like me not let succeed.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

My husband deposited the gift I gave him into Navy Federal Credit Union. Navy Federal Credit Union kept the deposit, froze his account and lied to both the CFPB and Senator John McCain about the deposit. I found the CFPB response letter where Navy Federal Credit Union states the names provided do not constitute sufficient information to enable us to identify any applicable accounts at Navy Federal Credit Union. I have sent a copy of that letter and Navy Federal Credit Union account statement showing how long the account has been open to both the CFPB and Senator John McCain.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

This is the second time they took my money without my authorization. I had an overdraft account that I told them I would pay off in December. I moved over $300 to my savings. They grabbed it out my account today and said it was sent over to my old account. No one sent me a letter saying they were going to do this or nothing.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2017

I will say I had an amazing experience being financed with NFCU since 09/2013 for my vehicle. My funding process was very fast, and I was able to maintain all my payments on time; in fact I was paid ahead by 7 months on my payments. Unfortunately, my vehicle was totaled this month, 11/2017, but the process to payoff the car was as smooth as can be. Additionally, I made a payment right before my vehicle was paid off, which had been prescheduled, and within 48 business hours of my payoff posting to the account, I had my refund amount available in my savings account with NFCU! Working in the autofinancing industry myself, I know that many institutions get a bad wrap when things occur, but I will say in every interaction that I had with NFCU, I had a pleasant experience.

At this time, I have a credit card with them as well, and of course my personal checking and savings account. I did not finance my new vehicle with them because I found a lower interest rate at another financing company, but should things not go as smoothly there, I may be refinancing my loan to NFCU. I am also looking forward to possibly obtaining financing for my home through NFCU. It has been an amazing experience so far, and I cannot wait to see how our relationship grows!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Navy Federal is a joke. Do NOT buy gift cards from there - they will steal your money in a service fee of $5 per month if you do not use card. They stole $40 from my son. Card had expiration date of 1/21 and he didn’t get to use any of his cards - he was saving up and Navy Federal took all his money.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Navy Federal scammed me out my money. Sent my loan to collections as charged off, so when I deposited my daughter college refund check they took all her money. I don't care who you have debt with and who you owe. Nobody should be able to watch your account waiting for a deposit just to snatch your money to clear a debt. People fall short all the time, I have learned that Navy Federal got sued last year about how they wrongfully go about collecting money to clear loans that their customers fall short to pay. I hope they get sued again, but I will be taking legal action hiring me a lawyer. They don't care about families. All they care about is meeting their quotas to get a debt paid. They have lost my business and my daughter will not be banking with them anymore either.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

Teller: **, refuse to serve me even though I was a joint owner on the account. She did not give me a receipt and continued to argue with me about having a debit card, that has my spouse name on it. They have too many revolving rules. One day I go up there and use my ID and her account number never questioned about. She decided to take her time using the information I gave her and I sat there for 15 minutes. Navy Federal really needs to educate the staff and make it known what can and cannot be used when making a deposit. These bad experiences happen at least every 6 months or so with them!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

The Navy Federal Credit Union - NFCU allowed a third party entity to garnish over $65,000 in retroactive pay from the Veterans Disability Compensation department. This amount was awarded to me due to physical and mental injuries I've incurred from military service. The NFCU violated the Veterans Disability Protection Act of 2010, violates Title 38, Section 5301(a)(1) and violates 31 CFR 212.6. I've reported the institution to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, the Better Business Bureau and I initiated a Congressional Inquiry via the Honorable David Valadao of Hanford, California. To this day, the NFCU has failed to provide a formal response.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

Trying to get some money transferred from a savings account to the charged off debit card so I can that crap off my credit so I can get a mortgage. Mind you I haven't used this bank since I switch to USAA in 2010 for checking. I've had a credit card through them and had to finish paying off my car loan. Both ended in 2014. Had a really bad financial situation and paying the credit card wasn't important as Oh say paying rent, my car, or my utilities so I waited. Now I can but they're making it super hard to get anything done.

I've moved like 5 times since the charge off. I give them all my info; name, social, birthday blah, and forgot the last known address on file. They refuse to tell me even though it's MY personal information. And they expect me to trust them with my other private info like what I gave them to verify it's me!!! Hypocrisy to say the least. Then I transferred around and around when all I want to do is pay off the stupid charge off account. I get mad of course. All the crap they did to my account in 2008-2010, I just want to be rid of them forever.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Nothing I have ever, ever done with this credit union is simple or easy. There is ALWAYS some reason my funds are unavailable or they are taking money for credit cards, they've done credit checks on me without my permission, consistently turn me down for any kind of loan despite my having good credit and have never been late for a single payment on any credit card. Depositing verified CASH into any other ATM results in a FIVE DAY hold that is irreversible. It is the year 2017, with all the other institutions capable of doing things so quickly how is that even possible for it to take five days to make available HARD AMERICAN CURRENCY that is verified by the ATM at the time of the deposit? There is quite literally no benefit to using Navy Federal over any other institution as far as a checking account is concerned.

I've had PayPal transfers be delayed for security reasons on PayPal's end, only to find that now my own bank is placing another hold on the account despite the funds being verified and released by PayPal. Again, NO ONE at NF could or would do anything about it. I've closed my account there in favor a pre-paid Walmart debit card, which stunningly offers more versatility, faster and more reliable customer service, and they're never putting random holds for egregiously long amounts of time on any of my funds! Unless you're well-off in the military and are hoping for some low interest rates on getting a loan for your new Camaro, do not bank with Navy Federal. I'm thoroughly disgusted with this institution. 0/10.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

Took in some coins to deposit, just like I have done at Pentagon Federal, Bank of America, Wells Fargo, Citibank and others over the years, only to have the teller at the Sterling Virginia branch compare the length of each of the 4 rolls to another one right in front of me this time, another time weighed the rolls of coins right in front of me. Literally the ONLY place that has done this right in front of me in DECADES. Guy at the desk said that was Navy Federal POLICY. REALLY STUPID this day and age, spending lots of money on ads and other items for customer acquisition, doing penny ante stuff like this which torpedoes customer retention. I'm a senior IT professional, upper income bracket, dress and act accordingly, too many other places to invest my money to put up with this crap.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

This mortgage department is unable to do simple math. For example, if you have a mortgage that is 1,000 dollars a month and you send them 500 dollars from one bank and 500 from another bank, on the same day, they will "apply both to principal" because alone they do not add up to your payment amount. Your next statement will have two months worth of payments due plus a late fee.

Applying it to principal sounds cool and all, but after paying double mortgage payments some months and always paying a little extra on every payment, my balance has come down 20,000 dollars over 11 years now. Each payment has been 1,300 or more. Like I said, sometimes double. I've sent them roughly 172,000 dollars on a 150k loan. Without the extra money I've sent in. So if they were applying all of that money to principal, I would think it would come down more than 20k.

Refinance for a better rate you say? I've contacted them about such a thing and with all of the fees I'd end up losing all of the ground I made up. Pointless. Their mortgage is so bad I moved out of that house and continue to pay it. I financed with a new company on my second house and after a year, the balance is dropping. No issues with allocating funds correctly and people you can speak to instead of spending 30 minutes trying to get a password or access code.

Navy Federal Credit Union expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Navy Federal Credit Union was founded in 1933 with seven members and has grown to have 5 million today. Members must be affiliated with the Department of Defense, Coast Guard, National Guard or U.S. Armed Forces. Immediate family members of the Navy Federal Credit Union can also join.

• Products and services: Navy Federal Credit Union offers a complete suite of checking, savings, credit cards and loan products. They also provide online and mobile banking.

• Credit cards: The credit union has credit, debit, prepaid, specialty prepaid and gift cards.

• Membership benefits: There are a variety of promotions and benefits for Navy Federal Credit Union members including low loan rates, loan and insurance discounts, discount partner offers and more.

• Saving benefits: To support saving and financial security, the credit union offers a special high interest rate certificate of deposit.

• Mobile and text banking: The mobile app allows customers 24/7 account access and is supported by Apple, Android and Kindle Fire devices. The text banking provides alerts as well as transfers and account information.

• Advice and planning: The resource center offers extensive information about managing money, retirement, financial planning, taxes, military and work life. This portal also includes financial calculators, free navy financial planning and home buying seminars.

• Security center: The fraud protection portal gives advice regarding credit and debit card fraud, phishing scams, online and mobile security along with ATM security.

• Best for: Military members and their families who need specialized banking services stateside and overseas.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg