3.7/5 (281 ratings)

About Navy Federal Credit Union

Navy Federal Credit Union Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navy Federal Credit Union?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navy Federal Credit Union?

Original review: June 7, 2021

I have been a NFCU member now for over 20 years and cannot say enough about how wonderful they have been. Just recently someone had gotten my credit card information and was charging stuff left and right on my account but thank God NFCU noticed the charges way before I did and placed a stop on all charges to my account and then contacted me to let me know. I have since gotten a new card and was not responsible for any of the charges that were made on my account. I am just so thankful for the great work the NFCU representative did to get me all set up with my new card and assure me everything was good to go and all the charges were cleared against me. I just cannot say how The NFCU team has brought me peace of mind. I recommend them to everyone.

Original review: June 2, 2021

I would have given them a 10 as that is how great the CU is...They are seriously geared towards customer service and their members are number one. I have been with them for 6 years now and I am so glad I switched of crappy BOA. BOA doesn't give one rat's butt about their customers. Navy Federal goes out of their way to make sure you are happy and well taken care of.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 31, 2021

I like that they have fingerprint and face recognition when signing on and dual layer protection when signing on with other devices like my tablet/computer. It gives me added assurance when I log in. If I know a pending deposit is waiting to post I can go to their online calendar to see what day it's going to post to my account. Everything I need is easy to navigate to on the app and online. I'm a very satisfied customer of Navy Federal...they helped me with guidance to help build my credit and my rep offered to let me call him during that time with questions, which I did a couple of times. So glad I found them!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

Navy Federal gave us an excellent rate, they worked with us to get everything done quickly as the seller was in a hurry due to having already purchased another home. Closing went smooth and seamless. They were available and able to answer any questions and concerns we had along the way. I was very pleased with the experience overall. Buying a home is a stressful experience, and they made it as stress free and seamless as anyone possibly could.

Original review: July 10, 2020

I sold my house and purchased a new home in April during this pandemic. My previous mortgage company was SunTrust and I decided to go with Navy Federal. I was little put off by all the reviews but it was a great experience and better than my previous one. Everything was done online, but I still had a great contact and follow up with the Navy Federal Team. Everyone followed up timely, provided great explanations, and guided me through the process. Even the underwriting team was wonderful which is not a typical experience. I cannot recommend them enough. The portal for loading and receiving documents is easy to understand and very detailed. The support was great and I even had follow up calls after hours. Definitely A+ effortless experience.

Original review: June 19, 2021

Wait six Months for refinancing my home. Eventually, I End up withdrawing the application. Then, I apply for a mortgage pre-approval letter to buy a house then they cancel the application because I requested as per the customer service agent. But I never sent an email asking that. The agent scream at me over the phone, saying that I did that. Lately, it has become the worst bank. Maybe Everyone is overwork.

Original review: June 16, 2021

Navy Federal's Advertisements state that it is a resource for Veterans and their families But, it seems to cause more harm than good. I started my loan process back in March. I was very proactive asking what else do I need to do. I don't want to lose a home because my paperwork can't get completed in time. I finally got a contact accepted in June. Well needless to say the Mortgage loan officer was unresponsive and unprofessional. I sent an email and called asking for her to call me and after 2 years she called. I emailed her supervisor and he responded after I posted a message about the situation on social media. He supported and made excuses for her responses, rather than apologize for situation. She proceeded to say that I would not be able to close for 35 to 60 days.

This is now June and I started this process in March. So I am going to have to start over with another lender or lose my property. Yet, you have the audacity to be nonchalant and matter of fact about it. She lacked the basic customer service skills that someone working in a customer oriented industry should possess. I would not advise anyone to go with Navy if you don't want to get the put into a long frustrating process just to possibly have to start over with another lender. I have also written emails to two members of their leadership. DO BETTER NAVY FEDERAL!!!

Original review: June 16, 2021

Navy Federal looks appealing upfront, They suck you in with attractive rates and low fees, but don't let that fool you. I'm in the middle of a new home purchase loan and the process at NFCU is atrocious. My closing date has been changed twice, and they want to push it again. I am in jeopardy of losing the home altogether. There is very little communication from them....I call, email, leave voice messages and get nothing in return until right before a deadline. I was in limbo for three weeks and was eventually told my loan processor quit and my file was misplaced. Really?

This bank is a complete shot in the dark. They have requested documents that don't pertain to me or make any sense....and their home squad (online document) system doesn't seem to interface with reality. Nothing from them was uploaded to the system, and I couldn't upload anything unless they submitted an entry to allow me to do so. Not user friendly at all. NFCU has been a horrible experience...I'll never do business with them again. Don't take my word for it....look on the web for reviews. They do not hold any of the principles that military members, their prime customer base, hold dear. Trust the hundreds of customers who have been burnt by NFCU...and go somewhere else.

Original review: June 14, 2021

Representatives are knowledgeable, always willing to work with you to resolve any issues. I've been with Navy Federal for years, and I plan to stick with them as long as possible as long as I keep receiving the awesome service that I have been getting.

Original review: June 8, 2021

I just love Navy Federal because of the professionalism of all the associates. They are helpful and have a great understanding for all your banking needs. Whenever I called their response is right on it.

Navy Federal Credit Union author review by Barbara Friedberg

Navy Federal Credit Union was founded in 1933 with seven members and has grown to have 5 million today. Members must be affiliated with the Department of Defense, Coast Guard, National Guard or U.S. Armed Forces. Immediate family members of the Navy Federal Credit Union can also join.

• Products and services: Navy Federal Credit Union offers a complete suite of checking, savings, credit cards and loan products. They also provide online and mobile banking.

• Credit cards: The credit union has credit, debit, prepaid, specialty prepaid and gift cards.

• Membership benefits: There are a variety of promotions and benefits for Navy Federal Credit Union members including low loan rates, loan and insurance discounts, discount partner offers and more.

• Saving benefits: To support saving and financial security, the credit union offers a special high interest rate certificate of deposit.

• Mobile and text banking: The mobile app allows customers 24/7 account access and is supported by Apple, Android and Kindle Fire devices. The text banking provides alerts as well as transfers and account information.

• Advice and planning: The resource center offers extensive information about managing money, retirement, financial planning, taxes, military and work life. This portal also includes financial calculators, free navy financial planning and home buying seminars.

• Security center: The fraud protection portal gives advice regarding credit and debit card fraud, phishing scams, online and mobile security along with ATM security.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor