1.69/5
Based on 56 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

370 Navy Federal Credit Union Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 14, 2018

Have been fighting almost a year to receive my money that was taken out of my account by Stg Auto Chrysler and Santa Ana. It seems I jumped out of the frying pan into the fire. These companies have taken everything. Chrysler wiped my account out. Chrysler lies and say they didn’t and the proof is there. Stg Auto refuses to pay back what they took. It had no reason to take credit card payments. I didn’t even own a credit card. No security alert. No call for unusual activity. Nephi Navy dropped the ball. While I’m fighting another 500 comes through. No mention of all of these charges. I’m finding out by different representatives as well as different rules. When does it ever become OK to lose your money and be told it’s too late or it’s been too long. I give a damn if it’s been one day before Jesus returns if I didn’t authorize it if it wasn’t my doing and if it was my money and I didn’t spend it it’s due to me.

The reason why it’s so long they’re making me fight for my money and prove that I didn’t do it. Where does the bank do its job? I call for an audit. I can’t get it. It’s all these different rules everyone says something different but refuses to put it in writing so I’m calling for investigation of some sort. I need help. I’m not satisfied and I’m overwhelmed. My case is proven fraud and they refuse to do anything. I’m scheduled to be homeless within days and I can’t find justice anywhere. Why should I believe in something that’s not even for me? I don’t get it.

Why can’t I have my money? I have documentation to prove the fraud from the dealership of charging me for a quick minute I don’t have. Selling a car keeping it in my name refinancing it with family members it’s so much on top of my head I can’t even think. I need an attorney to help me settle The statements that I have made. I swear under oath that this is true and is not made up and I’ll speak the same words in a court of law.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Navy Federal Credit Union you should be ashamed of yourselves. So this is how you treat families of our service men and women. I've been dealing with these people for over 2 months now. All they did was put me off, keep me on the phone for hours, make me fax forms over and over again. They told me my check went out 5/31. Today I find out nothing went out, nothing was in my file. So I said, "You guys basically just lied." She said, "Yes." This is totally UNACCEPTABLE. I will continue posting, filing complaints everywhere I can.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 6, 2018

This credit union is completely incompetent at sending international bank transfers. They cannot seem to comprehend that other countries do not have things like postal codes. They need to hire people with some international experience so they can better understand how to do business globally.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I applied for membership at NFCU 6 months ago. I opened a savings account and deposited money in the account. I then received a credit card from the company but was never given access to the card because the account was restricted. They asked for verifying documents of my address and identity which I complied with. Never heard a response back from them. I had to chase them down and asked the status. They told me to drive to a branch location (nearest was 2 hours away) to provide the supporting documentation.

Still no response. After 6 months of me chasing them I finally called again today only to be told that the restriction was permanent and will never be removed. Haha! Mind you, the credit card had already been showing on my credit report for months. ALSO, my card was stolen from my car which I had filed a police report. Their fraud department is an absolute joke. I filed a claim and was never followed up with. Two months later I received a notice of a late payment fee and that my account was in jeopardy of being marked late on my credit report.

I never had access to the card myself, maybe the thief and NFCU were in cahoots. Long story short they've done me a favor by restricting my account. NOW I'm currently being told in order to get my money back from the savings account to close the account I need to drive another 2 1/2 hours to a branch to do so. It ain't happenin'... these folks are so extremely delusional at this place. I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMEND looking at USAA Federal Savings Bank long before you ever put trust in this un-trustworthy financial institution. What an absolute joke, and they are supposed to be 'helping' veterans.

Original review: May 10, 2018

Navy Federal Credit Union has worse customer service than NetSpend, my wallet was stolen. I filed a police report and fraud claim on charges that were on my card. For three days I called and they did nothing, mind you I had already been into the bank and she did not tell me that they had frozen my account. She just gave me a new card and said it would be ready to use. I tried to go to the gas station and found out I couldn’t do anything with my account via debit card or in the branch.

I get direct deposit every single week that I could not touch until they unfroze my account, This would cause my bills to be late and extra fees to be added on. They had no sympathy and no urgency in handling this matter and I spoke with three different people for three days straight before they even put the fraud claim in. For this to be a military credit union it definitely doesn’t operate under the humility and standards of our military. The branch employees and phone customer service representatives are rude and inconsiderate. I would not recommend anyone create a new account with Navy Federal try another credit union.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navy Federal Credit Union?

Original review: May 7, 2018

What a lousy organization. $1 Charge to withdraw money even from their own atms. 5 day hold on checks deposited. Others at least release 10%. Staff doesn't seem to care. Why do business with this organization? Not me. Average rating 2 stars well deserved if not less!

Original review: April 25, 2018

Today was launch of new system. I can't get in to view account details and balance. After updating with new password, screen is blank and because it is after hours there is no one to help. New system should have been thoroughly tested before implementation and there should be extended customer service for implementation period (at least a few days)...apparently neither so that the type of customer service to expect. Other negative review about 30+ minute hold times support my opinion.

Original review: April 24, 2018

The reason is they are a terrible credit union! I will tell you that they do not know what they are doing. They approved my mom's check I deposit on the mobile app. My mom forgot to sign it, I did not catch it so two days later on they just froze everything. I was really upset I called the security of the bank. They said, "We cannot unfreeze your account for five days!" A weird lady started asking me, "Oh you have too much money going out of your account!" She was asking me questions that did not pertain to the check. I was upset. I went to the bank to try to close my account and they said my account is frozen. I was upset I started cussing and I am 100% disabled Veteran. I am manic depressive disorder.

A heavyset man told me to leave the bank now! I kept telling them I wanted my so called money and I kept asking for his name. He would not give it to me! I was upset. I pushed him, I am sorry I did that but they do not know my condition. I have never been through this before in my whole life. Then a man calls me up and he is calling from Florida Mortgage telling me that I am not allowed at their branches. I just want my money! Now I cannot go in. I do not have no money. They froze everything like a bunch of idiots. I will be going back to the V. A. hospital, I want something done about all this.

I want the heavy man out of there. I want my money! How am I gonna live now, I am not married and I am sick. This will be the third time I am in the V. A. Hospital! You do not treat Vets and military people like this. We served for our country. Is not that enough. Please get back with me as soon as you can. You have my number and my email. I want my money. I will bank at Deer Valley Credit Union. Please help me out, I also want the lady that put a freeze on everything fired! Thank you. I am sorry I got so upset at the bank and barely pushed the man. He would not give me his name. Thank you whoever takes this. I was in the Navy. Now I am sick!? I will give you my access number.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I regret opening my bank account here because of the problems me and my wife have encountered when we have to service our account. Maybe you will be lucky and not have any issues, but anytime I go into the local branch every worker there has an attitude and gives the general feeling of not wanting to work there. What's worse is when I come to them with my issue they correct me as if I caused the problem. If that's not an example of poor customer service I challenge you to find worse. I tend to be an understanding guy, but screw the idiots at this bank and branch. Even Wells Fargo wasn't this bad.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I have been a member of NFCU for 43 years and have found the credit union to be top notch. I’ve had bank accounts with other banks over the years. Primarily because the company I worked for would auto deposit my pay only at their bank. But I have always maintained my NFCU account. NFCU has financed every car I’ve bought in the past 20 years and they even finance my house. The staff are always friendly and go out of their way to be helpful and resolve any issue that arises. Everyone in my family is a member and I encourage everyone who qualifies to join.

Original review: April 10, 2018 I applied for Navy Federal Platinum credit while the zero percent balance transfer promotion was going on in February 2018. The day after I received the Navy Federal Credit Card, I also received a call that my father had died. I had left my wallet on top of my car and drove home in shock. My wallet was lost forever.

Navy Federal would not issue me another card without my sending proof of my identification, which of I course was lost with my wallet.

When I finally received the card. It was past the tone that I could get the zero percent balance transfer and they cut my card off three days after I received it for not paying the expediting fee on the first card, which I had discussed with a representative immediately after I had lost the card. Now they are billing me again and I’m not late on a darn thing. I can’t talk to the same person at any time that I talk to them. Do NOT get this card. You will be raped in the woods.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I and my business partner took an early Friday morning off to set up a business checking account at NFCU. I had everything prepared application, certificate of formation, consent from directors and an EIN verification. We arrived at 1000 hrs at a branch in Sugar Land, Texas. We were told to wait in the lobby and within 5 minutes a young man shows up and I noticed that his badge was upside down so I let him know (this was an omen). He explains to us that not only do the two of us have to be on the account but our 2 other Board of Directors as well. I tell him no, that does not sound right. So he calls the business HQs and they tell him that the other directors do not need to be on the account but eligible to be members.

I told him that does not sound right either. So he called another rep and she took our documents uploaded them to the Business HQ department and we were told we would receive word within 3 business days. I called back 2 days after I received a voicemail. The guy on the other line was an ignoramus who tells me that not only do the other directors need to be members but that I need to resubmit my certificate of formation paperwork to state that my name really has a Jr after it because that is what my account says. I did curse telling him that this was BS. He told me that according to The Secrecy Act of 1970 that I had to do this. I asked him fine send me the policy - He tells me that NFCU is not obligated to send me the policy.

I hung up and called Customer Service a day later. I told the rep what had happen to me and told her she was the 3rd person I talked to in order to get a business account. She tried to put me through to Business HQ Dept - Leader a Ms. **. Ms ** was in a meeting so she told me she would leave a message and that Ms. ** would call me back within 48 hours. No call from Ms. **. Lo and behold it's Friday again a week later and my business partner says we got a business access number from NFCU. So he calls NFCU and the rep in the Business HQ Dept and she says just put no on the application and the directors need to be eligible but no necessarily members and to disregard the Secrecy Law of 1970. So we create a new application go back to the same branch. We asked to speak to a manager. The manager pawns us off on another worker who is training another worker.

She listens as we tell her that she is the eighth person we have talked to in order to get a business account. She calls the Business HQ Dept and they tell her that the directors of our board have to be members. I thought I was going to lose my mind. So I tell her that one of our boards of directors is in Korea living out of tent on active duty and that it is midnight there because of the 14 hour difference. She apologizes but tells us she cannot help us any further. I give my business partner the "My PTSD is at an all-time high" look and we go across the street to BBVA Compass and open up a business account in less than an hour. This is a true story - I promise I can't make this stuff up.

Original review: April 5, 2018

I've seen a lot of post bad experience, but mine has been by far a really good experience. Any fraudulent activities on my account had been taken care of immediately regardless if it was my credit card or checking. I recently found out about getting my paycheck released a day early and that is always a plus when something happens. When I need to get that done, the rep just verifies some information and my funds are available within minutes. Yes, the return check fee is a bit high, but that's where you should be responsible with spending. I think my only issue would be that the interest on the credit cards are too high. Other than that my family and I all love Navy Fed.

Original review: March 14, 2018

I wanted to refinance my house, and in talking to NFCU's representative, they said it would be faster to apply for membership with a deposit. I went online several times and tried to get an account. Their temporary pin and verification system was a nightmare. After they gave me the loan information, I decided not to refinance. So, about 20 months later from when I opened my account, I got a letter informing me I owed NFCU money. I discovered NFCU had been charging me $5/month for an "e-checking" account from my ($100) savings account. I don't know if the checking and savings accounts are severable; but if it had been an Everyday Checking a $50 deposit would have covered any fees.

Since I never intended to use the NFCU account if I didn't get a loan, I wouldn't have signed myself up for another checking account with a debit card, and certainly not one which have cost me $5/month. I called Customer Service. NFCU could have deleted the checking account and credited me the $100 towards my savings account; they give credits for referrals, but NO, they were very apologetic. So, I closed my account. See ya! Maybe you don't need customers like me; but then you don't need my money either.

Original review: March 12, 2018

My husband is been with Navy Federal 24 years. The last 5 years Navy Federal is a pain in my **. Customer services is the worse. They no want to help or have some excuses, I have two loan with them. One is a consolidation loan. I ask for put the 2 loan in one. They say, "No. We no do consolidation loan." Really? I have one with them, I no ask for more money. I ask put the two loan in one payment one interest. They say no, they want to have two payments. Every time I say this to another person say this is really no right that why I change bank.

Is been really good. I know I still need to pay the loan but I have better atm, I have better bank, customer service is better, every time you deposit is in your account same day or next day. We're no the only with this problem and with other problem people have we Navy Federal. I put this for the people know my EXPERIENCE AND THAT YOU OUR VETERANS AND ALL OUR SOLDIERS DESERVE BETTER DEAL AND BETTER CREDIT UNION OR BANK.

Original review: March 10, 2018

These idiots must think people are stupid (maybe we are for banking with them)!!! I had an available credit of $10,350.71 on my credit yesterday. I used my card for business purposes and spent $4,125.54, which left me with a remaining credit of $6,374.63. I made a payment of $6,000 after my purchases. This should give me an available credit of $12,374.63 once the payment clears. I went onto the site to see if the payment cleared, and found out that I had an available balance of $2,374.63. Then it showed I had a credited amount of $4,009.78.

I called the bank and was told that it was because of my payment of $6,000. I asked her how since the payment was on hold and had not been posted to the account. She tried to tell me that once it cleared I would have a balance of $8000+. After presenting her with the pending transactions, I literally had to make the representative go item by item to show her that her and the bank's calculations do not add up. After we reviewed everything, she admitted that I was correct and wanted to speak to her supervisor about it. When she came back, she went back to saying what she was saying originally. I was told that I would be able to see what she is saying on Tuesday.

So not only did they take my available credit, but now I have to wait until Tuesday to see if my account has been reconciled. In addition to this, I use my credit card for business purposes and now I have to put my business needs on hold until this mess is cleared up. I have NEVER had a bad experience with any bank like this before!!! The representative's attitude was condescending and rude! Once my balance is paid completely, I will be cancelling this account!!! The absolute worst!!!

Original review: March 10, 2018

I've been banking with NFCU since 2000. I finally have the chance to find out how their customer service department and "digital service department" treat their client. I have a monthly direct deposit to my account hoping to accumulate funds for my kids future. I forgot my password for online access so I contacted the customer service department and digital service department. I went through almost 6 hours of hassle attempting to have my "code word" removed.

I sent faxes of my government issued photo(s) identifications and signature which I was instructed by the rep. "Dave, Austin, Antony and Tamera." I provided my SSN, DOB, and whatever else they request and yet they weren't able to assist me. I finally get a chance to speak to their supervisor "Brady" after I requested to have my code word removed. Note: Brady and Tamera was pretty helpful but the rest of the reps should find another occupation other than customer service profession. All these hassle and frustration, I request to closed my account.

Original review: March 7, 2018

I applied for a pre-qual mortgage letter and received one after providing all required information including the fact that I have an approved retirement date. Having received an approved pre-qual I signed a contract on a home, paid for a home inspection and proceeded with the purchase process until I was notified that they would in fact NOT lend me the money to purchase a home as I was retiring in eight months. After I was denied I asked if they would please email me the credit report that they charged me $18.50 for and they refused stating that I would receive a copy from Equifax in 7-10 business days. Even though they had a digital copy of my report, they refused to send a copy to me. I have borrowed from Navy Fed for mortgages twice before without issue or concern but the level of service and lack of thorough screening in the pre-qual process cost me $348.50 that could have been avoided.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

My husband and I have been going through Navy Federal and taking advantage of his VA benefits for our new mortgage. Navy Federal has been the absolute worst when it comes to this process. It started out great, low interest rate, getting information over to them and getting decent feedback. Then all of a sudden our rep through Navy Federal dropped us to a new person. We have since then been bounced between these two reps without any explanation as to why. And that person then started asking for information we had already provided. Claiming it wasn't received. Then we would get the info into them again, ask if they needed anything else, receiving a "no" response.

The next day we would get a call "If you don't get ____ information into us by close of business today we will be forced to extend your closing date." This happened 4 times! Yesterday my husband called in and approved our closing date. I just got a call saying they never received approval. I'm fed up with Navy Federal and will not be going through with them with my next home unless the interest rate is a multitude lower than the others! This process has been a nightmare. I didn't expect it to be the easiest process, but I didn't expect them to lose all my information, claim we never provided it and bounce us between representatives.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

We have been with NFCU for 30+ years. We recently applied for a mortgage loan and were promised for a prompt response. We have an outstanding credit 800+. It took our mortgage officer over a week to call us regarding our application and it was very apparent that she had never looked at our application when she called. She did not even know who the vet was and I had included the DD214 in the package. I asked that her supervisor give me a call. It has been six weeks. No call. I have called and it is impossible to reach anyone to speak with them. We went through NFCU before and it was wonderful. Their practices and ethics have taken a nose dive. Do NOT use this company. There are no longer any ethics. They will lie when the truth would do better.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

I didn't care for them the last time I used them. I thought well maybe things are better after 10 years or more. I was wrong. First, if you have any money in your account and you are late on a bill they take all they need. I've talked to other people this has happened to. Second, no matter how many loans you have they will be due on the same date. The date is based on your account number. Apparently, the 11th is my date. I asked a lady to change it... her response was "well... pay your bills a month early." While that would be nice, I hope to get to that point.

I asked another lady. Her response was nice and she had never heard of a bank not being able to change it either. She had worked several places before. Oh and if you or they 'accidentally' transfer your money for a bill twice, they won't cancel a transfer for you. You can just starve and overdraft your other bank! I am doing everything I can to get away from them for good. The people you talk to are nice but they can never ever help you. They blame their 'system.' "Oh the system won't allow me," is their answer for everything!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

Navy Federal notified me by phone that someone was fraudulently using my credit card. The representative advised of the charges and situation and said they would handle it, and not to worry. I kept in contact with them regarding the additional charges that were made. They cancelled my card and husband's cards and sent new cards by overnight mail. 3 months later the larger of the fraudulent charges were placed by on my account with my knowledge. I went online to make my payment and noticed my card was way over the limit. I put in a dispute for the charges and the agent basically accused me of lying because there is a chip in my card. Since I'm not a criminal, I know nothing about Chips. I've spoken with 3 representatives and they still have not removed the charges. My credit scores have been affected by this, since my card is over it's limit! Terrible customer service!!!!!

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

I've been a member since the first few weeks of boot camp in Jan 2001. In that 17 years they've only me no once when I needed a loan or credit and had nowhere else to turn. I'll admit the interest rates could be better for some of the services, especially for a long-term member; but they are still competitive with the market. Overall, I love being a member!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

My husband and I have been banking with NFCU for over 7 years now. He was active duty in the USMC, but now he is retired. We also bank with Truliant, and the only reason we didn't use NFCU is because they didn't provide the type of account we needed. NFCU has always really helped us out through many different situations of financial hardship, but I'll just share the experience I had today with them.

I had made some purchases on eBay using my PayPal account, apparently I didn't notice it defaulted to the incorrect PayPal account that had no funds in it, so when eBay tried to charge me it couldn't and therefore they decided to charge my bank account; but our NFCU account didn't have funds at the time. So subsequently we were charged the $29.00 fee... 4 TIMES! So here I was with $116 in fees due to a simple mistake. I called NFCU looking to have them help me out with this, and explained the situation to the representative.

They completely removed the fees... I mean, all $116!!! It's 5 days from Christmas, so everyone knows it's a time of year where finances are very tight (especially with our 4 children!). I can't express my gratitude to NFCU. They are truly not your normal bank/credit union. I was actually taken aback by all the negative reviews on here. I can't speak much about home loans (we went through someone else for ours) but we have a car loan with them as well, again, no issues.

I can honestly say Navy Federal truly cares for their members. I plan to continue banking with them for as long as they are in existence. There are so many wonderful things about NFCU. Their refund of ATM fees, their $500 OOPS overdraft, their extremely wonderful customer service. I mean, these aren't your average qualities of your average bank/credit union. They simply want YOU as a member, not just your money.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I had applied for a small personal loan. I make more than enough money to pay the loan back but we had an emergency and I asked to borrow $7K. I have been with them for years. Twice they screwed my credit up by making hard inquiries and denying a credit increase. Last time they put it in the system like 8 times and it dropped my score. My credit score is in the 600s. It’s not great but could be worse they told me. We use not only credit but other factors, after giving the woman my information I get "oh I'm sorry you have been denied". What? You know that after 5 minutes on the phone with me?

So basically it IS credit based and you don't care a bit about Veterans and any emergencies we might be having? These guys are like any other bank. It’s all about what they can do for themselves. It’s sad so many people take advantage of Veterans and it’s hard to find someone who cares. DO NOT let this bank ruin your credit score. They do not care about you.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

I paid a credit card off in full to Navy Federal. Had payments taken out of my Wells Fargo account, told them to stop after I paid them in full, Navy Federal would not stop nor would they despot the money back into my Wells Fargo account. They said I gave them permission to take money out... not for ever. I did not. My account was paid in full and they kept taking money even after I told them not to... STAY AWAY FROM HERE. Going to a lawyer. And they are charging me for my checks I charged back to them, going to small claims court. DO NOT SET UP AUTOMATIC PAYMENTS. THEY WILL NOT STOP TAKING MONEY!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

This bank is horrible, they help themselves to your hard earned money! Don’t dare have a emergency and be behind on a payment, not only will they take it out of your account without your permission, they will freeze your account! Thanks for being understanding Navy Federal, had a family emergency and they took my child care payment out of my account and left the account in the negative, now my loan payment is not 5 days past due anymore but I can’t go to work!! Wouldn’t even let me make the payment up next week!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I lost my car in electrical short wire 5 mos. ago. So I wanted to get car loan for another car. They "no" in 1 minute now. My credit is low now. But I have been with Credit Union for 25 years. Now can't work any overtime because of no car. Well I'm upset. This credit union get 4 F's in attitude toward Veterans like me not let succeed.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

My husband deposited the gift I gave him into Navy Federal Credit Union. Navy Federal Credit Union kept the deposit, froze his account and lied to both the CFPB and Senator John McCain about the deposit. I found the CFPB response letter where Navy Federal Credit Union states the names provided do not constitute sufficient information to enable us to identify any applicable accounts at Navy Federal Credit Union. I have sent a copy of that letter and Navy Federal Credit Union account statement showing how long the account has been open to both the CFPB and Senator John McCain.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

This is the second time they took my money without my authorization. I had an overdraft account that I told them I would pay off in December. I moved over $300 to my savings. They grabbed it out my account today and said it was sent over to my old account. No one sent me a letter saying they were going to do this or nothing.

Navy Federal Credit Union expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Navy Federal Credit Union was founded in 1933 with seven members and has grown to have 5 million today. Members must be affiliated with the Department of Defense, Coast Guard, National Guard or U.S. Armed Forces. Immediate family members of the Navy Federal Credit Union can also join.

• Products and services: Navy Federal Credit Union offers a complete suite of checking, savings, credit cards and loan products. They also provide online and mobile banking.

• Credit cards: The credit union has credit, debit, prepaid, specialty prepaid and gift cards.

• Membership benefits: There are a variety of promotions and benefits for Navy Federal Credit Union members including low loan rates, loan and insurance discounts, discount partner offers and more.

• Saving benefits: To support saving and financial security, the credit union offers a special high interest rate certificate of deposit.

• Mobile and text banking: The mobile app allows customers 24/7 account access and is supported by Apple, Android and Kindle Fire devices. The text banking provides alerts as well as transfers and account information.

• Advice and planning: The resource center offers extensive information about managing money, retirement, financial planning, taxes, military and work life. This portal also includes financial calculators, free navy financial planning and home buying seminars.

• Security center: The fraud protection portal gives advice regarding credit and debit card fraud, phishing scams, online and mobile security along with ATM security.

• Best for: Military members and their families who need specialized banking services stateside and overseas.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg