Navy Federal Credit Union

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Been a member for 24 years and used NFCU for a mortgage. Biggest mistake ever. They failed to order the appraisal which delayed the closing of our home, and this happened twice even after appraisal was "rushed". Their lack of execution cost almost cost me the sale. This is not the organization it used to be. I will be moving over to USAA. Caveat emptor.

On Jan. 10th I drove through drive thru to make a deposit. Like normal, I put all my info and deposit in the machine. I had send it and like usual, I pressed the talk to agent or representative. I waited like 7 min., I heard nothing, pressed it again, then I get this rude response; "I'm helping someone else right now, I'll help you when I'm done." I said, "it's fine. I just wanted to make sure someone was there and received my info and deposit. I was here waiting and no had at least let me know that they had received my stuff." The lady was rude. Next time I'll call the 800 number and try to contact their supervisor while I wait. See if they like that!

I deposited a check for $300 drawn off of a Wells Fargo bank account on Monday 01/02/17 at the automated teller in Eastlake, CA. The bank's security dept placed a hold on the check and have now locked my account for 5 business days. I called and was told that the check was flagged as suspicious, and that the system is very rarely wrong. The person I talked to said she had never seen it be wrong before. Yesterday, Wednesday 01/04/17 I went to Wells Fargo bank with the account holder that wrote the check. We were informed that the funds had been released to Navy Federal and that the check had cleared. When I contacted Navy Federal earlier this morning, Thursday, 01/05/17 I was told by the bank’s rep that Wells Fargo doesn't give information about cleared checks and that my account would be locked until next Tuesday, 01/10/17.

I am an Active Duty Sailor in the Navy with over 8 years service, with multiple bills that are now not being paid due to a bank that is supposedly for "Military" discriminating against me. I can only assume it is because I'm not excessively wealthy, and don't have the greatest credit. I'm sure they don't treat wealthy people this way, but if you are an enlisted sailor who is trying to make ends meet, they care nothing about you. It is a shame that thousands of us are risking our lives, sometimes daily, for millions of people. But the institutions that are supposed to be there for us discriminate against the very people they claim to help and be for in their commercials. Don't believe what you see on TV. Navy Federal is not there for the military, and certainly not for the Navy.

Been a NFCU customer for a little over year. I have a platinum credit card with them plus I had 3 car loans and everything has been paid on time and in most cases I paid more than what was due and before it was due. I was turned down for an auto refinance on 12/29/16 that was approved by USAA. I figured I would see if NFCU could give me a better rate so you can imagine how surprised I was when I was turned down. I called and asked to speak with a NFCU manager and was put through to Henry at the Winchester office. Henry looked at my credit with NFCU and agreed that my credit standing with NFCU was outstanding with no blemishes.

The car, I might add that I was refinancing was a 2002 Lexus 430 SC booked out for much more than I needed. Anyway, Henry said he would talk with a loan officer and really agreed with me that this loan should be approved. Today 12/30/16 Henry called and said, "Sorry cannot approve refinance loan." With that I have decided that NFCU really doesn't need my business any longer. USAA seems to care much more for the veterans and their needs than Navy Federal and judging from the reviews I read here I'll be glad to be a USAA customer.

I applied Nov 1st for our loan with the Navy Federal Credit Union. The VERY first thing I did was ask them if they can do this refinance in my husband's name "ONLY" even though he wasn't on title. I had issues with my credit and his was excellent, (750 score). I was very specific! The loan officer told me "Sure, that's not a problem, we can just add him to title later." I called 2 other local banks and they said the same thing. They said we'd be okay because we are married and we can show proof of him making the payments if necessary. "Both" of the other 2 banks offered a slightly better rate and lower costs but the NFC said they'd "match" the deal I got at the other bank (Dollar Bank in Ohio). So I decided to go with them because they were so much easier to deal with 2 previous car loans. And I was afraid the others would drag it out by requesting too many documents.

BIG MISTAKE!!! We had the loan locked in at 2.625% on a 15 year, (before the rates jumped up). November 8th, we received a "Conditional Loan Approval" subject to the appraisal, title work and changing the insurance into their name. I did all 3 by November 11th. I waited to hear back from them. I waited and waited... 2 weeks... 3 weeks... 4 go by. Middle of December I'm told that there's an "issue" with my title work. And they apologize saying that my loan officer is no longer working there and they had to "re-assign" my loan to someone else. The next day, this 'new person' never calls me back, I emailed him, NOTHING! I called again, a week goes by, never got back to me! No one is returning my calls.

Then finally, December 21th, I receive an 'email' not a phone call! from a loan 'processor' saying that they 'cannot' do our loan because of my husband not being on title. I flip out, call and speak with a supervisor. I tell him that I specifically asked my loan officer in the very beginning if my husband not being on title was a problem, I told him how I was told no it's not a problem etc.. This supervisor (Mike **) assures me that everything 'should be okay', that we should be able to work this out. But they'd have to get back to me. Now it's going to be Christmas holiday.

The following Tuesday morning I'm expecting an email saying we have a "Clear to Close" but nothing comes in. Next day at 430 pm I get a phone call from the processor telling me the very same thing she said in her email. That they cannot do the loan because he's not on title. I told her what the supervisor told me on Friday and she said that she knew nothing about that! I left a message and her supervisor called me and told me the same thing. So we have no loan and we lost our opportunity for the 2.625% rate because they have gone up over a point. A big difference in payment on a $200k loan! No apologies! No nothing! This was completely shocking and the worst experience Ever!!! DON'T WAIST YOUR TIME!!! They are more expensive anyways "IF" you can even get a loan!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navy Federal Credit Union?

I have an unsecured loan with Navy Federal and did not make a payment in Nov because I consolidated my debts and payments were going to occur in Dec. So Navy Federal went into my account without any permission and stole 1400 from account. According to them they have the "authority" to go into your account anytime they want! This is the most abuse I have ever encountered with any financial institution. I regret ever banking with them and I won't make the same mistake ever again. Now I'm fighting to get my money since we are a week away from Christmas! As a vet I would discourage anyone from doing business with them because of how they violate their customers. Looking into legal action.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Came to the Ballston location in Arlington to apply for a loan. The loan was to pay for a certification class and moving expenses. After explaining the situation in its entirety to the representative, I was told that I needed to open an account to apply. After opening a checking account, he opened a savings account for me as well although I didn't need it. He then did the loan application and told me to check back in a few days. I decided to call the customer service number about an hour after getting home and was told that my application had been denied. I was also told that the decision was made right away, as in while I was in the branch. After appealing the loan process several times over the course of 4-5 days, I was finally told that Navy Federal does not grant personal loans for job certification purposes, but would be more than happy to help me with my moving expenses.

After applying for a 4th time, I was denied again without a proper explanation. I was told to simply wait for my letter in the mail explaining the decision. I will be starting a new career in California on Monday, Dec. 19, and all Navy Federal has managed to do is waste my time and energy. From the beginning, the representative simply signed me up and left me out to dry. Knowing my application was denied, he told me to simply call back a few days later. Knowing that you don't give loans for certifications, your customer service and lending teams wasted my time and money having me appeal and process several loan applications.

I am going tomorrow to withdraw my money and close my account. I am also recommending my brother, a active member of the (US Army) and my mother, both account holders of Navy Federal to do the same. I have never felt so cheated and swindled by a company in my whole life. I want this to be made very clear: Your company created a checking and savings account for me AND RAN MY CREDIT knowing that the reason for the loan was not something you support. Shame on you and your banking institution for not knowing better.

I wanted to use my credit union for a VA mortgage and thought since they do many military transactions, it would be the best choice. Man, was I wrong! It was the worst experience of my entire home purchasing life, and there have been a number to compare this too. First off, the loan officer who was handling my paperwork was out of their Scripps Ranch, CA office and I had to initiate contact with her every time. The only way I received a response was sending a message through the secure system, as she never answered the phone when called. The first return contact I had from that office was when an assistant to her called and regurgitated everything I had already provided and simply wasted time. I clearly explained we were on a timetable to purchase a new home and that time was of the essence. Not to them it seems.

After filling out loads of paperwork and numerous attempts to contact her, I was informed that the VA would not like the numbers she had and therefore the mortgage could not be done. What? She never asked the VA but simply summarily decided that I could not have a VA mortgage. When I told her we were no longer interested in dealing with her, she then offered me the "opportunity" to apply for a different type of mortgage. What an idiot, because if you do not qualify for a VA mortgage it is very unlikely you will qualify for another with similar terms. Screw Navy Federal mortgage department. Wasted a week of my time and no pre-qualification for a loan in hand.

In steps Wells-Fargo and in a few hours we had the pre-qualification needed to proceed with the home purchase. And for the same VA loan the interest rate was lower. Service was more than great, it was outstanding and we closed on our new home within 50 days. Sadly, many transactions with Navy Federal have been good, although they are slower in some areas than commercial banks. They tout they are all about serving the military and veterans, but their Scripps Ranch office must be staffed with sub-par individuals who just blow off the customers rather than provide good service.

I never had any bad experiences until recently. I went in for a loan and after everything the man helping me literally laughed and went to tell the other people how bad my credit was. Then I tried to deposit my check via mobile deposit, at the ATM and at the teller and each time only $200 was available until anywhere from 1-7 business days when the rest would show up. So if you value your money bank elsewhere! I plan on switching to USAA as soon as I can.

I banked with Navy Federal for 6 months. They ran credit applications on my name without my consent. I got quoted up to two times for Auto loans within a 5 day span. I feel the representatives have a lack of knowledge in their field and the matter should be resolved by Navy Federal Credit Union; known by consumers.

I took out a personal loan with Navy Federal, which I monitor constantly on my personal computer. I noticed Navy Federal will increase the posted balance on my account without my consent and tell me that it was never changed. I know they were not telling me the truth because also write my account balances down at my residence. Also on one instance that I (noticed) I deposited one hundred dollars in both my savings and checking accounts at the same time and in one account my balance increased by one hundred dollars and in the other account my balance showed an increase by ninety-five dollars, so I went inside to tell the manager. I was then told five dollars was subtracted for a initiation fee, even though my account was opened years ago. I don't think this is the first time money was taken out of my account or added to my bills without my consent...

Run... Run far away. I have been a NFCU customer since 1992. I love banking at this credit union. Mortgages and business accounts I guess are just not their thing. I spent 3 months fighting to get a VA loan from these guys. I asked for a complete list of everything they would need so I could start hunting stuff down. The same items were asked for several times and the list just kept growing. One more thing... one more thing... and just when I thought we were done... one more thing. They gave ridiculous estimates for closing costs, $17,500 tried to make the seller pay my funding fee without telling anyone. Communication broke down several times. Demanded I sign a loan disclosure that was total fiction. The last straw was some manager tried to get all stern with me in an e-mail and tell me how things were going to happen. I was so sick to my stomach when I had to drop them and go to another Mortgage company.

2 weeks after the switch, I was waiting for w-2s from the IRS for verification and coasting to closing. Ugly. I tried to then open a business account with NFCU. They kept giving me items to chase down time after time instead of giving me an entire list. When I finally thought I had it all together, giving NFCU the required information was way more difficult than needed. First I took them hard copies, they could not copy them, so I went and made copies. They could not just write down my ECN, they had to have it in writing. I tried forwarding my e-mail with my ECN to them and they could not receive it. They then told me to go to their website and upload it. While on the phone with them, I followed their instructions, uploaded the documents.

I called the next day. They claimed they did not receive them. At this point we are 3 weeks deep trying to get a business account. I gave up. I walked into Wells Fargo and walked out 1 hour later with a business account. I have always loved banking at NFCU. I do not know what happened to NFCU but I hope they figure it out. They lost my mortgage business and my Company business because they did not have their ducks in a row. Very frustrating.

I been a customer of Navy Federal for about 7 months. In the beginning everything was okay but for the past 4 months my account has been overdrawn plenty of times. So I started tracking my spending, and when I bring it to their attention every rep and supervisor say the same thing (the merchant doesn't take the money right away) pretty much stating that I’m spending more than I have. So I decided to withdraw my checks out my account just to see if I would have another overdraft. I checked my account and the next morning and it was 99 dollars overdrawn. I know for a fact something is going on and they are stealing money or someone is hacking into the system and stealing money but they don't care, just as long as it’s not their money being taken. I’m fixing to close this account and I will never do business with Navy Federal again and I will post about my experience every chance I get because they don't help to resolve nothing.

We started shopping around for VA mortgage Loans and since we've been members at Navy Fed for 6 years, naturally we considered them. Their rates and services are attractive, including an option to help cover closing costs and no origination fee. The initial step to get someone on the phone to take down answers for prep qualification was a breeze. The agent was lovely. We were to hear back from our loan officer the next business day and could have pre-approval in as little as 3 business days thereafter. But the positives end there. We PAID UP FRONT to have our credit run, which other banks didn't require us to do. We patiently waited for an agent to contact us but three days later, still nothing. On the fourth, fateful morning after my phone died and when I turned it on after charging, of course I had missed the agent's call. I called her back right away and I got voicemail.

Now a week and three call attempts to NFCU after the first call and still no word from our loan officer. Few more days and we finally received a letter which only told us that they had run our credit which we already knew because, as I said, we PAID FOR IT up front. Mind you, we had already been pre-approved at this point with Veteran's United and already in underwriting with Movement Mortgage. Both of whom didn't charge us a PENNY to get our app started.

We were still trying to lock in their lower rate so I called again. Once directly to the loan officer and when I AGAIN was sent to voicemail I called the general line for home loans. I connected with an agent was checking the status of our loan. All was going great until she put me on hold to try to get an actual person that's working on our loan case. SHE NEVER CAME BACK. Instead I was patched through to our loan officer's voicemail. At this point I'm livid.

My husband finally got in touch with the officer that day and complained. After that we received several correspondence about documents they still required from us. At this point, it's now about (maybe past) 3 weeks later, we had our pre-approval from V.U. and a loan commitment letter from M.M. and had already placed an offer on a house. I emailed our loan officer to cancel our app and told them how disappointed we were in the service. She NEVER responded to the email and to this day, now almost 5-6 weeks later, they are still emailing us to try to complete our application. But no actual call from the agent still.

All this after we told them we needed the process to go as efficiently as possible since our lease is ending at our apt. If we hadn't applied with the two other banks, we would be stuck either homeless or getting stuck signing another year long lease for an apartment because Navy Federal screwed us around and we never would have got a house on time. Run far, far away from these people!

My experience with NFCU was horrible. After two months of processing a refinance for my home they had not started it. After several attempts of contacting them requesting updates I finally discovered the process had not begun. I contacted three managers that assured me that they will take care of their oversight but yet nothing ever happened.

To add insult to the whole fiasco, they charged me for my credit report and didn't credit me after requesting for it and their acknowledgment of their mistake. It all began with my paperwork getting transferred to three different loan processors. The first loan processor quit and instead of handing off my paperwork to another processor to continue they canceled my loan process and sent me a letter in the mail. Then I contacted them and they had no idea this had happened. Then my paperwork stood stagnant through two more processors and after two months my loan had not even begun. What a bad way to take care of a member! In all other aspects of banking I've been satisfied but I will never use NFCU for a mortgage again. Unfortunately I discovered through a hand full of friends and colleagues who also had the similar negative experiences with the NFCU mortgage department. Totally unsat!!

I paid my car loan online and noticed the next day that it did not post as usual. I went back in thinking that it did not go through so I paid again. I was charged twice. I called Navy Federal to have the second charge reimbursed, stating what happen. Although the agent was rude, he stated that it will be redeposited into my account in 3 to 5 business days.

It has been 5 business days and instead of depositing the amount back into my account, they withdrew the amount and then replaced the amount. Not depositing any money, leaving me with zero (0) reimbursement. Not to mention a bank charge. I called and the agent this time was helpful, and stated that I need required documents to have the amount redeposited back into my account.

I am upset now, because the first agent did not mention this whatsoever and they do not reimburse for fees - despite the fee was due to them withdrawing from my account when it should have been a deposit. I have always been a fan of NFCU, but now I am a dissatisfied member. They really should have a better process and make things right when something has happened on their end.

I wanted a Navy Federal account to make it easier to transfer money to another person's Navy Fed account. I had began my application, but had recently moved to a new area, so I did not have all the documentation that I needed immediately. Every few days I would send in one of the documents they required and every few days I would receive an email asking me to "please submit another proof of address from the list below." I kept on sending the types of documents on the list, but they kept telling me they needed something from the list. The last document I sent in was my voter registration card. The emails they sent me told me that it would take about 2 days for them to review my documents.

Over a week later, I called to see what was going on with my application, and they said that they had deleted my application because they hadn't received the required documents in the allotted time and any documents that I had sent in after the cutoff had been deleted. Weird, because they had already mailed my debit card and I had already deposited $5 into it. I would have really appreciated some sort of explanation of why my most recent document hadn't been reviewed. So they advised me to re-apply and resend all the documents that I had sent previously. I did. THEN they emailed me saying that they needed government-issued photo ID, so a week after I started the process, I sent them a photo of my passport.

Over a week later, I still had heard nothing from them so I called and they said they had never received it, but if I would email it to them again, they would put it back in the line and I would hear from them within a few days. I double-checked my sent emails and confirmed that it had gone through. So the issue wasn't on my end and if they hadn't received it the first time, there is no reason they would receive it the second time. And I had definitely emailed it to the correct email address because I had simply replied to the email address I was supposed to sent it.

I told them I wasn't interested in waiting longer just for the exact same thing to happen, but they said that any documents that were entered would get put to the end of the queue and they would review it whenever they got around to it. And they couldn't transfer me to the people that received applicant documents because "they weren't receiving calls." I was so sick of the run-around and the constant delay and being told to wait, that I told them to withdraw my application. I went with USAA instead and it was infinitely easier. And I'm sure that if there were any issues, USAA customer service would have been much more helpful too. I can't stress how little I think of Navy Federal.

I have been a member since 2004 and have enjoyed my service experience with Navy Federal credit union employees until today. I have never felt so insulted and betrayed over trying to have my flagship rewards points redeemed towards a cruise vacation that I had already booked and paid for. My initial call while I was.

Trying to redeem my rewards point, I was disconnected after being put on hold and was never called back. I called again and I believe I was speaking to the same person who again wanted to know everything we had discussed before I was put on hold. I gave them my phone number before this person started to ask questions because of our previous disconnect which I was not even given an apology or anything. I also asked for a confirmation and was told there is none, you have my name which I did not feel any reassurance that I would be taken care off.

I also tried to update my profile at NFCU rewards because they were showing old contact numbers. Even though I have verbally given my new contacts it seems never to get updated in all their accounts for some reason or another. I hope that all employees of NFCU will want to be treated with respect as I have done being a veteran and having served my country for people I didn't even know.

I recently opened an account with NFCU after hearing great reviews from my dad and I read a few online. I decided to try it out and at first I was so excited looking at all the benefits they offer their members. I went into the branch and spoke with a rep about a mortgage loan and she said, "You're right on path" and within the next 4 months I should apply but 1st I'll need to establish some history. I decided to open a credit card after reading about all the high credit limits and besides my dad's credit is worst than mine's and he got approved for a high limit so what the h*ll... that's exactly what I felt next. They ran my credit 2x for one card and the limit was extremely low resulting in a decrease in my credit score. I called and asked if they can give me details on their decision and was told "No you'll receive a letter in the mail." Not only was my questions not answered I now have to work harder to restore the 20 pt dip it took from me.

Navy Federal will not work with you when they make a mistake that puts a bad mark on your credit report. They made a $2 mistake on our Credit Card after we transferred money from one credit card (higher rate outside of Navy Federal to a lower rate with them). They never mentioned a transfer charge which put us over the credit limit. We also were in the process of getting a VA LOAN (I am a disable Veteran) at the same time.

We have made multiple calls with no action on their part. Promised callbacks, but when they call, they just leave their first name and the generic number to call back. So when you call back and ask for that person, they need a last name which is never given. So you can never get a hold of anyone who is a decision maker. After multiple attempts, they have ignored us for 3 weeks, hiding in the background refusing to work with us in correcting this $2 mistake on their part.

We told them that if they do not fix this mistake, we would cancel our accounts (over 25 years as a member) and not take out a VA loan with them if not corrected. So basically, they would rather cut ties with their customers instead of working or supporting their veterans. AVOID THEM AT ALL COSTS!!! If you like to fight with people and get pissed off for a small charge and spend hours trying to get someone to help you, then I would highly suggest you go with Navy Federal Credit Union. I give them 5+++ stars in this area. If you are someone who wants a resolution within 1 - 2 phone calls, then I would NOT suggest Navy Federal Credit Union. I would give them a 1/2 star or less in this area. If you looking for complete disappointment, then go with NFCU.

I borrowed a Loan from Navy Federal under (OOPS) OPTIONAL OVERDRAFT PROTECTION... The Loan consists of $500.00 and you have to pay it back within 30 days. I was one day late a couple of times and Navy Federal DEACTIVATED my checking account, but I spoke with a Navy Federal Representative a couple times and I was told they actually give you 35 days to repay the loan... I asked why was my account deactivated because I was one day late, she told me it shouldn't have been DEACTIVATED. I had to wait 3 days for my account to be ACTIVATED again. Somebody needs to look into their practices.

I am very disappointed in recents events regarding a third party check that was cashed in the amount of $622.80 at the Moyock NC branch under fraudulent conditions. This was my son's 2 week paycheck and was given to a co-worker (per my son's request) to bring to him as we live very close. He was to have brought this check to him on Friday, September 1, 2016. He never did. My son contacted him about this and he made up some sort of lie. Still not too concerned as it was a check! Come to find out this young man writes on the back of the check "Pay to the order of ** - his name and then signs my son's name under his! He walks into the branch, and because he was also a NFCU member, he walked out with cash money... $623.80 to be exact! Now to add insult to injury... NFCU is not responsible because this check was cashed in "good faith!" Wow... it's that easy and nobody is responsible! Thanks Navy Federal Credit Union - Moyock, NC!

Yes you're welcome. Please next time do not make funds available. I have already asked to be check on the 2nd dep. Your security alert alerted me in the very first place then did nothing else. I asked for the bank name and # my loan was coming from and called for fund availability myself what they knew and the rep was so vague. I NEVER ONCE was allowed to talk to security myself, just through rep. My signature was not mine and was not told that these transactions were not deposits but actual stolen checks somehow delp into my account with my forged signature. Then to mislead me into spending all that time copying receipts and communications to submit a fraud incident, knowing it was pointless you already knew (you'd for nothing). Planting hope is incomprehensible to me. I lost my trust in NFCU.

I have been a member of nfcu for many years. I went to get $5.00 of gas in a rental car and card denied. I turned the rental in so I could go get my car out of the repair shop. I came home logged into my account and it wouldn't let me. I called the number and was told my account was frozen. After spending an hour and a half on the phone I was informed I had an illegal deposit going into my account. They told me it was a deposit from Verizon. I knew the deposit well... I have been receiving it for a year and a half... it was my spousal support. They told me the only way I could unfreeze the account was to add my ex-husband as joint owner. (That was a crazy suggestion). Never going to happen or to change the way the deposit was made out. Well, now I have no car because I have no money to get it out of the shop, I have no way to work and no way to pay my bills or buy food.

As of today it has been 10 days, 15 phone calls and 2 visits and I still have no answers and no money. My ex-husband faxed a letter to them explaining it was my allotment for spousal support and he would change the deposit. The credit union received the letter 6 days ago. I called today and was told they are working on it. I just want to know what happened to customer service. No one ever called me or told me there was a problem with the deposit. It should not be legal for them to block all of my money. Customer service sucks. No one has called to tell me anything. I only need my account to be unfrozen for 5 minutes and all of my money will be gone. If I had money I would have an attorney... the late fees I get charged for my bills will be paid for not by me!!! If anyone has ideas on how I can get my money I would appreciate any help.

I have already lost 3 hours of work dealing with this issue. The stress has really played havoc on my health. The way this company does business is not acceptable and no one should have to go through the hell they have put me through. What's really bad I have been a member probably 30 years. If this is how they reward faithful customers I would hate to be on their bad list. The funny thing is security put my account on freeze and members are not allowed to talk to security. I'm sure the person handling my account is some young person that has been enjoying their weekends and time off at my expense. If anyone has any suggestions for resolving this immediately or if I have legal grounds please let me know. You can email.

I am trapped with this visa card from Navy Federal Credit Union. They're charging me interest on the unpaid balance. My credit limit is $14,000.00 which I maxed out on studio equipment. My balance remain same after my monthly payment. This can't and will not be paid according to Navy Federal Credit Union. I will owe this loan forever. What can I do? It's very unfair.

I have two certificates of deposits, and have had nothing but trouble with them. In just one example, it took 5 1/2 hours (2 1/2 on the phone and another 2 in a local branch) to straighten out an issue with a loan payment against one of the cds. Now there is another problem and the payment has again been refused by NFCU - and they are advance payments! Dealing with phone "support" is an additional frustration. They ask questions when the answer is on their screen, then threaten to hang up, or actually hang up when one gets frustrated at their incompetence. Have been put on hold for over 30 minutes several times.

Some of the website pages will not work correctly. For instance, went online to set up automatic payment, but it will not let the amount be put in. No numbers show up on the webpage, even though they are shown on the tablet as being entered. Again, telephone support was condescending and patronizing. NFCU used to be the best financial institution, but now is one of the worst. From processing time in person at a branch, to phone "support" to website. Hate to leave, but as soon as these cds mature my 40 year relationship with NFCU will come to an end!

I was the innocent victim of a suspected fraud claim but NFCU did nothing to assist me and help me out of the bind that I was placed in. There was a transfer of money from one friend’s account to another but the transfer resulted from a misunderstanding. My account was affected because I also received a transfer from the account suspected of fraud. It wasn't fraud but just a misunderstanding like I said. The day after this transfer, my account is locked and I no longer have any access to my funds. I find this out after attempting to make a purchase at McDonalds. No one in the security department ever reached out to me and said, “Hey we suspect that your account may be involved in fraudulent transactions.” I call the contact center immediately and get told that my account is under investigation and will be until the 20th of September and this is on the 4th.

Now I have a family and bills and a ton of responsibilities that require attention and money. I can't attend to those without monetary funds. I have been calling the customer center everyday since I found out about this and I'm usually given these cookie-cutter/fabricated responses that help no one. As days pass I begin to become more and more frustrated by the disappointing low level of help and assistance I receive. One of the supervisors I speak with tells me that if the claim initiator calls and retracts the claim then investigation will stop in its tracks and I'll gain access to my account but that was a lie.

Long story short, the misunderstanding has already been cleared up at a much lower level like it should have been but the NFCU security department still has to pursue this ghost investigation that they are taking their time to complete. They are not concerned with the fact that I have a family to feed or the fact that I have to pay for gas in order to get to work or the fact that I put on a military uniform everyday and serve this country and protection of freedom all to be told that I can't be helped until the 20th of September. I currently have no access to any of my money and have no way to pay for anything. My account is locked/restricted due to something that has nothing to do with me and NFCU doesn't seem to care. No one from security has even reached out to me like the customer contact center has told me they would. Then when I call to speak with the security department I'm told that no one will speak to me as if I'm not important enough.

Oh and last but not least, one of the customer service supervisors I spoke with decided to give me the same lack of concern and empathy that his subordinates showcased and even hung up on me. I admit that I was speaking to the supervisor with much enthusiasm and passion in my voice and I was upset so I may have used some colorful language but when you're back is pushed against the wall how are you not going to react. I found it very disrespectful that he would hang up in my face while I am voicing my extremely important concern.

I would never threaten anyone with violence but when someone tells you tough luck and acts as if they don't care that you can't feed your family that would make any MAN upset enough to want to fight because a MAN goes out and works and puts food on the table for his family and after I have done the work you expect me to be fine with you denying me access to that money that I have put countless hours of work in for on a daily basis. I am VERY unsatisfied with NFCU and would like nothing else to be move my banking services elsewhere because I have been shown nothing but NFCU's true colors once this issue arose.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I am happy to say I was contacted by a real person and was satisfied with their solution. They refunded me the interest before the check was actually cashed. They also stated they are in the process of getting ETF setup for these transactions. I hate to be the squeaky wheel, but I also can't let something like this go unchallenged.

Keith of Monroe, NC on

Original Review

I decided to refinance my loan with NFCU because their rate was lower and they were offering a $200 kickback for doing so. I apply for the loan online to save time. I get an email saying I needed to contact them because they needed more information from me. I call and the info they need is the payoff amount and daily interest, which I gave in my application and to a loan specialist the week before. The person I call says there was actually no reason for me to contact them, that they could get the info from my other bank and he believed it was to just inform me there might be a delay. I told him I stood informed. Shortly thereafter I get an email saying my loan was approved and the check would be mailed to me.

Now here's the scam folks. They will not process this loan electronically, which in all reality would take about 30 seconds. Nope, they are going to start charging you interest as soon as your loan is approved and then mail your check via snail mail to you so you can sign it and the turn around and mail it to your original loan bank, which by the way has a PO box just for this, so even if you send it certified, all you get is certification that it was picked up. Now keep in mind your original bank is collecting interest on your original loan this whole time and NFCU is also charging you interest, and you're not even really using the money till the original banks cashes that check and pays the original loan off.

Now this whole time NFCU is charging you interest, they are also collecting interest on those unused funds in their account till that check gets cashed. Now I know it was only 7 days to complete this process, but take that account and multiply it by the thousands of loans they generate per day and it's a nice chunk of change. Now the question I asked them, which they refuse to answer, is, why can't this be done as quickly as you charge my credit card for a purchase I make? Still no answer. Did receive a couple of cookie cutter answers though. I've been with them going on 30 years, but I feel they have become too big and all the customer care that I remember them for years ago, is gone. Did I mention my mortgage refinancing with them was also terrible? Another story.

My husband has never had any issues with NFCU. I don't think it's because he's any nicer than I am when he calls but I am beginning to (after 21 years of giving them the benefit of the doubt) take it personally. I would love for someone in the highest decision-making echelons of NFCU to personally explain to me their rationale for some of the things they do:

For instance why does everyone in the family get their own access number and yet are not able to see all the accounts under their particular number unless they are the primary or joint owner? How many primary members' spouses have complete control over the finances at home and yet haven't the complete authority to handle (all) the accounts? I find it asinine that our accounts were once frozen while my husband was deployed because I sent a message under his access number and had the audacity to sign my own name. And this was back in the day when you couldn't just email the ship but were still numbering letters (I apparently am a very slow learner).

My new personal favorite is having two separate credit card numbers that pull from the same account. Ironically, I am unable to view either my credit card or the joint account under my own access number. I wonder if this means I then have to pay them? I will give them credit (admittedly, it hurts to write this) but it does make it easier to cancel a card without impacting the account (Were I to actually be able to see the hypothetical account, that is).

Which brings me to my next question (and a topic I've seen a few times in the thread below), why is it that I can't request to stop a recurring payment when I want to? I've been dealing with a recurring charge from Napster/Rhapsody for an embarrassingly long time. According to my canceled account with them, there is no billing information associated with the account which means they are not billing me (Hmmm, I say). And yet, each month there is that non-existent $9.99 charge again. I tried to settle this with NFCU and eventually received a form letter stating they didn't have enough info to deny the recurring charge. Forgive me but it is "my family's" money, not NFCU's, correct? Am I to be made to understand they are doing this for our own good - so as not to incur Rhapsody's legal wrath? I think I'll take my chances. I'm not looking to recoup the lost money - I'll take that as a painfully and apparently necessary heuristic experience.

And yet, perhaps I am doing them a disservice. Their ever vigilant fraud software did manage to "save" us numerous times while being stationed abroad. About once ever three months an alert would pop up on their system freezing the credit card. Usually when we were in the most remote travel destination in Europe. The system could detect us using the card in a small town in Croatia but could not detect the note on their system indicating we were traveling. Or the fact that we had an overseas mailing address.

Honestly, I've always had a pleasant experience with the individual representatives - even when they were telling me no. My frustration is more about feeling absolutely impotent to affect any change. Even if we were to thumb our noses and rage against the machine by switching our accounts, it wouldn't impact the executives who are the decision makers. It would impact us though - we have too much at this point tied into the accounts for it to be a smooth transition. I'm simply one of the "Who!"s without a Horton to sound the alarm.

I deposited money into an atm on Tuesday 8/23 and money is still not showing in my acct. Called NFC everyday since and was told I have to wait til they service the atm, four days later... Are you serious? Customer service rep and supervisors thought it was a joke, snickering and making I don't care noises, when all they had to do was credit my account with my money. What the hell should I lie for? As soon as you overdraft, they take that extra $20 for that $9 bag of Pampers... And what's sad NFC has a nerve to tell their customers... "We are convenient banking with more ways to bank, you get access to your money the way you want, when you want it"... (not me) so whether it's online, on your phone or in person at an atm???? Okay here's the ending, "And because we're member owned, we will always act in your best interest" Ok???? No best interest here...

Compare Banks & Credit Unions