Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.71/5

Navy Federal Credit Union Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navy Federal Credit Union?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navy Federal Credit Union?

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

Navy Federal gave us an excellent rate, they worked with us to get everything done quickly as the seller was in a hurry due to having already purchased another home. Closing went smooth and seamless. They were available and able to answer any questions and concerns we had along the way. I was very pleased with the experience overall. Buying a home is a stressful experience, and they made it as stress free and seamless as anyone possibly could.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

International access (with a REAL PERSON) 24/7, and a HUGE selection of products and services! They have really GREAT rates for savings and loans, a large selection checking and savings accounts, multiple mortgage options, credit card options, certificates and IRAs, and lots of additional services, such as auto-buying programs, frequent promotional rates, financial counseling, and other personalized services. I've been with them for over 40 years, and they've always treated me well!

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 10, 2020

I sold my house and purchased a new home in April during this pandemic. My previous mortgage company was SunTrust and I decided to go with Navy Federal. I was little put off by all the reviews but it was a great experience and better than my previous one. Everything was done online, but I still had a great contact and follow up with the Navy Federal Team. Everyone followed up timely, provided great explanations, and guided me through the process. Even the underwriting team was wonderful which is not a typical experience. I cannot recommend them enough. The portal for loading and receiving documents is easy to understand and very detailed. The support was great and I even had follow up calls after hours. Definitely A+ effortless experience.

Original review: May 13, 2020

I applied for a credit card in January 2020 before all of this pandemic stuff start going on and I was shockingly approved for $9,700. 3 months later in April 2020 I got a email from NFCU saying that they were automatically raising my limit by $500 bringing my credit line to $10,200.The next month in May of 2020 I applied for a pandemic relief loan and was approved for $5,000 with a very good interest rate and option to pay back over 2 years. My credit is not that great 580 Equifax to 650 Transunion. I do have a recent bankruptcy from 4 years earlier in 2016 and they still approved me for everything above. I really like this credit union because they really try to satisfy the customer's needs, and thankfully to God at those times I was the customer whose needs they were meeting.

Original review: April 19, 2020

First off, I see a lot of bad reviews for the mortgage process with NFCU. I also see some good reviews. I wanted to offer my experience that I went through before I completed my refinance on my home. It’s was not all good, but not all bad either, but in the long run I was happy and satisfied with what I received, which is why I gave a 5 star rating.

I have been a USAA customer for years and still use USAA as my main bank for checking. When I started to look into refinancing my house early last year (2019) I shopped around for the best deal I could find. Believe it or not that best deal and rate was from NFCU at the time. In order to apply I had to open a checking account and become a member, which was pretty easy and I completed only on my smartphone. My application for a home loan refinance took about a week to get a response and I was pre approved. I did use the same two programs that other reviews have spoke about to upload documents... very confusing.

My loan processor(s) were very helpful and normally responded to my email within a day. When I tried to call I very really got a returned phone call. My Loan girl changed hands maybe 3-5 times with different loan processors, but each one told me about the number of mortgages applications they had because of the lower rates so I completely understood. I think it was July of 2019 when everything was finalized but closing did not take place until the end of October. This was mainly because of the sheer number of applications they were having to process.

The real thing I like about NFCU, is they keep the mortgage themselves. They don’t sell it off to another third party. My first mortgage was with USAA but that sold it right away to GMAC, who went under and sold it to Ocwen, who then converted to PHH mortgage.... very confusing. But NFCU doesn’t do that, they handle the loan themselves. Long story short, if you're looking for a good deal, good I treat rate and you okay with waiting 8-10 months to close then I would recommend going to NFCU!

Original review: April 9, 2021

I purchased my house through Navy Federal and had an irritating time the first time and thought that it may have just been the loan officer I worked with. Decided to refinance for a lower rate and it’s still lousy communication. Unless you have a Branch close to you where you can physically go speak to them I would avoid financing with Navy Federal. I don’t usually leave reviews but hopefully this helps some other first time homeowners avoid the hassle of dealing with loan officers that have no interest in actually helping you through the mortgage process

Original review: March 26, 2021

Been with them since the military for over 10+ years. Got most of my mortgages needs through them every time I needed to get one. Pre-covid they were awesome. But now.... I don't even know where to start, from the lack of communication that spans for 4 weeks before I get any reply to the 4+ month of delays on the refi. Let me clarify, they literally have a perfect, nothing missing, loan documents for the refi application and I got the pre approval to move forward. Got everything done including the appraisal and inspection 3 months ago. All throughout the application process I get maybe 4 response from them, rest of my email are ignore for months.. I should've came on here before I apply for the refi, could've gone to a local credit union and have a way better experience than this.

So to make a long story short, most people been stating over 5+ months of refi through them and some even randomly get approved all the way until the end and then they denied them the loan after all the waiting. I hope I am not in the same boat to get deny at the end but it seems I forget I even have a refi with them right now because haven't heard from them in a month and I was schedule to get the loan 5 weeks ago. I will probably stop using them after this. If I get approve on the refi I will probably use it as a basic account to just pay the refi with, horrible experience overall and not even near the finish line yet....

Original review: March 25, 2021

Rates may be good. But the customer service is horrible. It takes a week to get a call back. The only time that I received a call is when after about a week, I will did the application again. Got a new loan officer, then the Prior one, would realize that they are not going to get my business. The customer service agents that connect you with the loan officers are nice, and try hard to solve problems. But, I don’t know if the actual loan officers, are contracted or what, but they need proper service skills. For her privacy, I’m not putting her full name, but R. ** was so rude on the phone. I decided to go with a whole different company.

Original review: March 19, 2021

I would not recommend to go with NFCU for your mortgage needs. They cost us a lot of money and time. They made good promises for about 5 weeks and then deny the mortgage at the time we could not get our deposit back and left us no time to shop anywhere else. So we lost the house we want to buy, lots of time and a large deposit.

Original review: March 18, 2021

Military spouse who is self employed. We were pre-approved and went forward with the process of buying a house. We provided every document they could have needed to show income but they acted like I lied and only made 1/3 of what I actually bring in each month. The underwriter clearly didn’t look at the numerous documents we provided. Bye NFCU. I’ll be moving both my personal and business accounts from you too. Sad, I figured my own bank would have taken care of us better. Going with another lender now who knows what they are looking at.

Navy Federal Credit Union author review by Barbara Friedberg

Navy Federal Credit Union was founded in 1933 with seven members and has grown to have 5 million today. Members must be affiliated with the Department of Defense, Coast Guard, National Guard or U.S. Armed Forces. Immediate family members of the Navy Federal Credit Union can also join.

• Products and services: Navy Federal Credit Union offers a complete suite of checking, savings, credit cards and loan products. They also provide online and mobile banking.

• Credit cards: The credit union has credit, debit, prepaid, specialty prepaid and gift cards.

• Membership benefits: There are a variety of promotions and benefits for Navy Federal Credit Union members including low loan rates, loan and insurance discounts, discount partner offers and more.

• Saving benefits: To support saving and financial security, the credit union offers a special high interest rate certificate of deposit.

• Mobile and text banking: The mobile app allows customers 24/7 account access and is supported by Apple, Android and Kindle Fire devices. The text banking provides alerts as well as transfers and account information.

• Advice and planning: The resource center offers extensive information about managing money, retirement, financial planning, taxes, military and work life. This portal also includes financial calculators, free navy financial planning and home buying seminars.

• Security center: The fraud protection portal gives advice regarding credit and debit card fraud, phishing scams, online and mobile security along with ATM security.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor