Navy Federal Credit Union

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I took out a personal loan with Navy Federal, which I monitor constantly on my personal computer. I noticed Navy Federal will increase the posted balance on my account without my consent and tell me that it was never changed. I know they were not telling me the truth because also write my account balances down at my residence. Also on one instance that I (noticed) I deposited one hundred dollars in both my savings and checking accounts at the same time and in one account my balance increased by one hundred dollars and in the other account my balance showed an increase by ninety-five dollars, so I went inside to tell the manager. I was then told five dollars was subtracted for a initiation fee, even though my account was opened years ago. I don't think this is the first time money was taken out of my account or added to my bills without my consent...

Run... Run far away. I have been a NFCU customer since 1992. I love banking at this credit union. Mortgages and business accounts I guess are just not their thing. I spent 3 months fighting to get a VA loan from these guys. I asked for a complete list of everything they would need so I could start hunting stuff down. The same items were asked for several times and the list just kept growing. One more thing... one more thing... and just when I thought we were done... one more thing. They gave ridiculous estimates for closing costs, $17,500 tried to make the seller pay my funding fee without telling anyone. Communication broke down several times. Demanded I sign a loan disclosure that was total fiction. The last straw was some manager tried to get all stern with me in an e-mail and tell me how things were going to happen. I was so sick to my stomach when I had to drop them and go to another Mortgage company.

2 weeks after the switch, I was waiting for w-2s from the IRS for verification and coasting to closing. Ugly. I tried to then open a business account with NFCU. They kept giving me items to chase down time after time instead of giving me an entire list. When I finally thought I had it all together, giving NFCU the required information was way more difficult than needed. First I took them hard copies, they could not copy them, so I went and made copies. They could not just write down my ECN, they had to have it in writing. I tried forwarding my e-mail with my ECN to them and they could not receive it. They then told me to go to their website and upload it. While on the phone with them, I followed their instructions, uploaded the documents.

I called the next day. They claimed they did not receive them. At this point we are 3 weeks deep trying to get a business account. I gave up. I walked into Wells Fargo and walked out 1 hour later with a business account. I have always loved banking at NFCU. I do not know what happened to NFCU but I hope they figure it out. They lost my mortgage business and my Company business because they did not have their ducks in a row. Very frustrating.

I been a customer of Navy Federal for about 7 months. In the beginning everything was okay but for the past 4 months my account has been overdrawn plenty of times. So I started tracking my spending, and when I bring it to their attention every rep and supervisor say the same thing (the merchant doesn't take the money right away) pretty much stating that I’m spending more than I have. So I decided to withdraw my checks out my account just to see if I would have another overdraft. I checked my account and the next morning and it was 99 dollars overdrawn. I know for a fact something is going on and they are stealing money or someone is hacking into the system and stealing money but they don't care, just as long as it’s not their money being taken. I’m fixing to close this account and I will never do business with Navy Federal again and I will post about my experience every chance I get because they don't help to resolve nothing.

We started shopping around for VA mortgage Loans and since we've been members at Navy Fed for 6 years, naturally we considered them. Their rates and services are attractive, including an option to help cover closing costs and no origination fee. The initial step to get someone on the phone to take down answers for prep qualification was a breeze. The agent was lovely. We were to hear back from our loan officer the next business day and could have pre-approval in as little as 3 business days thereafter. But the positives end there. We PAID UP FRONT to have our credit run, which other banks didn't require us to do. We patiently waited for an agent to contact us but three days later, still nothing. On the fourth, fateful morning after my phone died and when I turned it on after charging, of course I had missed the agent's call. I called her back right away and I got voicemail.

Now a week and three call attempts to NFCU after the first call and still no word from our loan officer. Few more days and we finally received a letter which only told us that they had run our credit which we already knew because, as I said, we PAID FOR IT up front. Mind you, we had already been pre-approved at this point with Veteran's United and already in underwriting with Movement Mortgage. Both of whom didn't charge us a PENNY to get our app started.

We were still trying to lock in their lower rate so I called again. Once directly to the loan officer and when I AGAIN was sent to voicemail I called the general line for home loans. I connected with an agent was checking the status of our loan. All was going great until she put me on hold to try to get an actual person that's working on our loan case. SHE NEVER CAME BACK. Instead I was patched through to our loan officer's voicemail. At this point I'm livid.

My husband finally got in touch with the officer that day and complained. After that we received several correspondence about documents they still required from us. At this point, it's now about (maybe past) 3 weeks later, we had our pre-approval from V.U. and a loan commitment letter from M.M. and had already placed an offer on a house. I emailed our loan officer to cancel our app and told them how disappointed we were in the service. She NEVER responded to the email and to this day, now almost 5-6 weeks later, they are still emailing us to try to complete our application. But no actual call from the agent still.

All this after we told them we needed the process to go as efficiently as possible since our lease is ending at our apt. If we hadn't applied with the two other banks, we would be stuck either homeless or getting stuck signing another year long lease for an apartment because Navy Federal screwed us around and we never would have got a house on time. Run far, far away from these people!

My experience with NFCU was horrible. After two months of processing a refinance for my home they had not started it. After several attempts of contacting them requesting updates I finally discovered the process had not begun. I contacted three managers that assured me that they will take care of their oversight but yet nothing ever happened.

To add insult to the whole fiasco, they charged me for my credit report and didn't credit me after requesting for it and their acknowledgment of their mistake. It all began with my paperwork getting transferred to three different loan processors. The first loan processor quit and instead of handing off my paperwork to another processor to continue they canceled my loan process and sent me a letter in the mail. Then I contacted them and they had no idea this had happened. Then my paperwork stood stagnant through two more processors and after two months my loan had not even begun. What a bad way to take care of a member! In all other aspects of banking I've been satisfied but I will never use NFCU for a mortgage again. Unfortunately I discovered through a hand full of friends and colleagues who also had the similar negative experiences with the NFCU mortgage department. Totally unsat!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navy Federal Credit Union?

I paid my car loan online and noticed the next day that it did not post as usual. I went back in thinking that it did not go through so I paid again. I was charged twice. I called Navy Federal to have the second charge reimbursed, stating what happen. Although the agent was rude, he stated that it will be redeposited into my account in 3 to 5 business days.

It has been 5 business days and instead of depositing the amount back into my account, they withdrew the amount and then replaced the amount. Not depositing any money, leaving me with zero (0) reimbursement. Not to mention a bank charge. I called and the agent this time was helpful, and stated that I need required documents to have the amount redeposited back into my account.

I am upset now, because the first agent did not mention this whatsoever and they do not reimburse for fees - despite the fee was due to them withdrawing from my account when it should have been a deposit. I have always been a fan of NFCU, but now I am a dissatisfied member. They really should have a better process and make things right when something has happened on their end.

I wanted a Navy Federal account to make it easier to transfer money to another person's Navy Fed account. I had began my application, but had recently moved to a new area, so I did not have all the documentation that I needed immediately. Every few days I would send in one of the documents they required and every few days I would receive an email asking me to "please submit another proof of address from the list below." I kept on sending the types of documents on the list, but they kept telling me they needed something from the list. The last document I sent in was my voter registration card. The emails they sent me told me that it would take about 2 days for them to review my documents.

Over a week later, I called to see what was going on with my application, and they said that they had deleted my application because they hadn't received the required documents in the allotted time and any documents that I had sent in after the cutoff had been deleted. Weird, because they had already mailed my debit card and I had already deposited $5 into it. I would have really appreciated some sort of explanation of why my most recent document hadn't been reviewed. So they advised me to re-apply and resend all the documents that I had sent previously. I did. THEN they emailed me saying that they needed government-issued photo ID, so a week after I started the process, I sent them a photo of my passport.

Over a week later, I still had heard nothing from them so I called and they said they had never received it, but if I would email it to them again, they would put it back in the line and I would hear from them within a few days. I double-checked my sent emails and confirmed that it had gone through. So the issue wasn't on my end and if they hadn't received it the first time, there is no reason they would receive it the second time. And I had definitely emailed it to the correct email address because I had simply replied to the email address I was supposed to sent it.

I told them I wasn't interested in waiting longer just for the exact same thing to happen, but they said that any documents that were entered would get put to the end of the queue and they would review it whenever they got around to it. And they couldn't transfer me to the people that received applicant documents because "they weren't receiving calls." I was so sick of the run-around and the constant delay and being told to wait, that I told them to withdraw my application. I went with USAA instead and it was infinitely easier. And I'm sure that if there were any issues, USAA customer service would have been much more helpful too. I can't stress how little I think of Navy Federal.

I have been a member since 2004 and have enjoyed my service experience with Navy Federal credit union employees until today. I have never felt so insulted and betrayed over trying to have my flagship rewards points redeemed towards a cruise vacation that I had already booked and paid for. My initial call while I was.

Trying to redeem my rewards point, I was disconnected after being put on hold and was never called back. I called again and I believe I was speaking to the same person who again wanted to know everything we had discussed before I was put on hold. I gave them my phone number before this person started to ask questions because of our previous disconnect which I was not even given an apology or anything. I also asked for a confirmation and was told there is none, you have my name which I did not feel any reassurance that I would be taken care off.

I also tried to update my profile at NFCU rewards because they were showing old contact numbers. Even though I have verbally given my new contacts it seems never to get updated in all their accounts for some reason or another. I hope that all employees of NFCU will want to be treated with respect as I have done being a veteran and having served my country for people I didn't even know.

I recently opened an account with NFCU after hearing great reviews from my dad and I read a few online. I decided to try it out and at first I was so excited looking at all the benefits they offer their members. I went into the branch and spoke with a rep about a mortgage loan and she said, "You're right on path" and within the next 4 months I should apply but 1st I'll need to establish some history. I decided to open a credit card after reading about all the high credit limits and besides my dad's credit is worst than mine's and he got approved for a high limit so what the h*ll... that's exactly what I felt next. They ran my credit 2x for one card and the limit was extremely low resulting in a decrease in my credit score. I called and asked if they can give me details on their decision and was told "No you'll receive a letter in the mail." Not only was my questions not answered I now have to work harder to restore the 20 pt dip it took from me.

Navy Federal will not work with you when they make a mistake that puts a bad mark on your credit report. They made a $2 mistake on our Credit Card after we transferred money from one credit card (higher rate outside of Navy Federal to a lower rate with them). They never mentioned a transfer charge which put us over the credit limit. We also were in the process of getting a VA LOAN (I am a disable Veteran) at the same time.

We have made multiple calls with no action on their part. Promised callbacks, but when they call, they just leave their first name and the generic number to call back. So when you call back and ask for that person, they need a last name which is never given. So you can never get a hold of anyone who is a decision maker. After multiple attempts, they have ignored us for 3 weeks, hiding in the background refusing to work with us in correcting this $2 mistake on their part.

We told them that if they do not fix this mistake, we would cancel our accounts (over 25 years as a member) and not take out a VA loan with them if not corrected. So basically, they would rather cut ties with their customers instead of working or supporting their veterans. AVOID THEM AT ALL COSTS!!! If you like to fight with people and get pissed off for a small charge and spend hours trying to get someone to help you, then I would highly suggest you go with Navy Federal Credit Union. I give them 5+++ stars in this area. If you are someone who wants a resolution within 1 - 2 phone calls, then I would NOT suggest Navy Federal Credit Union. I would give them a 1/2 star or less in this area. If you looking for complete disappointment, then go with NFCU.

I borrowed a Loan from Navy Federal under (OOPS) OPTIONAL OVERDRAFT PROTECTION... The Loan consists of $500.00 and you have to pay it back within 30 days. I was one day late a couple of times and Navy Federal DEACTIVATED my checking account, but I spoke with a Navy Federal Representative a couple times and I was told they actually give you 35 days to repay the loan... I asked why was my account deactivated because I was one day late, she told me it shouldn't have been DEACTIVATED. I had to wait 3 days for my account to be ACTIVATED again. Somebody needs to look into their practices.

I am very disappointed in recents events regarding a third party check that was cashed in the amount of $622.80 at the Moyock NC branch under fraudulent conditions. This was my son's 2 week paycheck and was given to a co-worker (per my son's request) to bring to him as we live very close. He was to have brought this check to him on Friday, September 1, 2016. He never did. My son contacted him about this and he made up some sort of lie. Still not too concerned as it was a check! Come to find out this young man writes on the back of the check "Pay to the order of ** - his name and then signs my son's name under his! He walks into the branch, and because he was also a NFCU member, he walked out with cash money... $623.80 to be exact! Now to add insult to injury... NFCU is not responsible because this check was cashed in "good faith!" Wow... it's that easy and nobody is responsible! Thanks Navy Federal Credit Union - Moyock, NC!

Yes you're welcome. Please next time do not make funds available. I have already asked to be check on the 2nd dep. Your security alert alerted me in the very first place then did nothing else. I asked for the bank name and # my loan was coming from and called for fund availability myself what they knew and the rep was so vague. I NEVER ONCE was allowed to talk to security myself, just through rep. My signature was not mine and was not told that these transactions were not deposits but actual stolen checks somehow delp into my account with my forged signature. Then to mislead me into spending all that time copying receipts and communications to submit a fraud incident, knowing it was pointless you already knew (you'd for nothing). Planting hope is incomprehensible to me. I lost my trust in NFCU.

I have been a member of nfcu for many years. I went to get $5.00 of gas in a rental car and card denied. I turned the rental in so I could go get my car out of the repair shop. I came home logged into my account and it wouldn't let me. I called the number and was told my account was frozen. After spending an hour and a half on the phone I was informed I had an illegal deposit going into my account. They told me it was a deposit from Verizon. I knew the deposit well... I have been receiving it for a year and a half... it was my spousal support. They told me the only way I could unfreeze the account was to add my ex-husband as joint owner. (That was a crazy suggestion). Never going to happen or to change the way the deposit was made out. Well, now I have no car because I have no money to get it out of the shop, I have no way to work and no way to pay my bills or buy food.

As of today it has been 10 days, 15 phone calls and 2 visits and I still have no answers and no money. My ex-husband faxed a letter to them explaining it was my allotment for spousal support and he would change the deposit. The credit union received the letter 6 days ago. I called today and was told they are working on it. I just want to know what happened to customer service. No one ever called me or told me there was a problem with the deposit. It should not be legal for them to block all of my money. Customer service sucks. No one has called to tell me anything. I only need my account to be unfrozen for 5 minutes and all of my money will be gone. If I had money I would have an attorney... the late fees I get charged for my bills will be paid for not by me!!! If anyone has ideas on how I can get my money I would appreciate any help.

I have already lost 3 hours of work dealing with this issue. The stress has really played havoc on my health. The way this company does business is not acceptable and no one should have to go through the hell they have put me through. What's really bad I have been a member probably 30 years. If this is how they reward faithful customers I would hate to be on their bad list. The funny thing is security put my account on freeze and members are not allowed to talk to security. I'm sure the person handling my account is some young person that has been enjoying their weekends and time off at my expense. If anyone has any suggestions for resolving this immediately or if I have legal grounds please let me know. You can email.

I am trapped with this visa card from Navy Federal Credit Union. They're charging me interest on the unpaid balance. My credit limit is $14,000.00 which I maxed out on studio equipment. My balance remain same after my monthly payment. This can't and will not be paid according to Navy Federal Credit Union. I will owe this loan forever. What can I do? It's very unfair.

I have two certificates of deposits, and have had nothing but trouble with them. In just one example, it took 5 1/2 hours (2 1/2 on the phone and another 2 in a local branch) to straighten out an issue with a loan payment against one of the cds. Now there is another problem and the payment has again been refused by NFCU - and they are advance payments! Dealing with phone "support" is an additional frustration. They ask questions when the answer is on their screen, then threaten to hang up, or actually hang up when one gets frustrated at their incompetence. Have been put on hold for over 30 minutes several times.

Some of the website pages will not work correctly. For instance, went online to set up automatic payment, but it will not let the amount be put in. No numbers show up on the webpage, even though they are shown on the tablet as being entered. Again, telephone support was condescending and patronizing. NFCU used to be the best financial institution, but now is one of the worst. From processing time in person at a branch, to phone "support" to website. Hate to leave, but as soon as these cds mature my 40 year relationship with NFCU will come to an end!

I was the innocent victim of a suspected fraud claim but NFCU did nothing to assist me and help me out of the bind that I was placed in. There was a transfer of money from one friend’s account to another but the transfer resulted from a misunderstanding. My account was affected because I also received a transfer from the account suspected of fraud. It wasn't fraud but just a misunderstanding like I said. The day after this transfer, my account is locked and I no longer have any access to my funds. I find this out after attempting to make a purchase at McDonalds. No one in the security department ever reached out to me and said, “Hey we suspect that your account may be involved in fraudulent transactions.” I call the contact center immediately and get told that my account is under investigation and will be until the 20th of September and this is on the 4th.

Now I have a family and bills and a ton of responsibilities that require attention and money. I can't attend to those without monetary funds. I have been calling the customer center everyday since I found out about this and I'm usually given these cookie-cutter/fabricated responses that help no one. As days pass I begin to become more and more frustrated by the disappointing low level of help and assistance I receive. One of the supervisors I speak with tells me that if the claim initiator calls and retracts the claim then investigation will stop in its tracks and I'll gain access to my account but that was a lie.

Long story short, the misunderstanding has already been cleared up at a much lower level like it should have been but the NFCU security department still has to pursue this ghost investigation that they are taking their time to complete. They are not concerned with the fact that I have a family to feed or the fact that I have to pay for gas in order to get to work or the fact that I put on a military uniform everyday and serve this country and protection of freedom all to be told that I can't be helped until the 20th of September. I currently have no access to any of my money and have no way to pay for anything. My account is locked/restricted due to something that has nothing to do with me and NFCU doesn't seem to care. No one from security has even reached out to me like the customer contact center has told me they would. Then when I call to speak with the security department I'm told that no one will speak to me as if I'm not important enough.

Oh and last but not least, one of the customer service supervisors I spoke with decided to give me the same lack of concern and empathy that his subordinates showcased and even hung up on me. I admit that I was speaking to the supervisor with much enthusiasm and passion in my voice and I was upset so I may have used some colorful language but when you're back is pushed against the wall how are you not going to react. I found it very disrespectful that he would hang up in my face while I am voicing my extremely important concern.

I would never threaten anyone with violence but when someone tells you tough luck and acts as if they don't care that you can't feed your family that would make any MAN upset enough to want to fight because a MAN goes out and works and puts food on the table for his family and after I have done the work you expect me to be fine with you denying me access to that money that I have put countless hours of work in for on a daily basis. I am VERY unsatisfied with NFCU and would like nothing else to be move my banking services elsewhere because I have been shown nothing but NFCU's true colors once this issue arose.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I am happy to say I was contacted by a real person and was satisfied with their solution. They refunded me the interest before the check was actually cashed. They also stated they are in the process of getting ETF setup for these transactions. I hate to be the squeaky wheel, but I also can't let something like this go unchallenged.

Keith of Monroe, NC on

Original Review

I decided to refinance my loan with NFCU because their rate was lower and they were offering a $200 kickback for doing so. I apply for the loan online to save time. I get an email saying I needed to contact them because they needed more information from me. I call and the info they need is the payoff amount and daily interest, which I gave in my application and to a loan specialist the week before. The person I call says there was actually no reason for me to contact them, that they could get the info from my other bank and he believed it was to just inform me there might be a delay. I told him I stood informed. Shortly thereafter I get an email saying my loan was approved and the check would be mailed to me.

Now here's the scam folks. They will not process this loan electronically, which in all reality would take about 30 seconds. Nope, they are going to start charging you interest as soon as your loan is approved and then mail your check via snail mail to you so you can sign it and the turn around and mail it to your original loan bank, which by the way has a PO box just for this, so even if you send it certified, all you get is certification that it was picked up. Now keep in mind your original bank is collecting interest on your original loan this whole time and NFCU is also charging you interest, and you're not even really using the money till the original banks cashes that check and pays the original loan off.

Now this whole time NFCU is charging you interest, they are also collecting interest on those unused funds in their account till that check gets cashed. Now I know it was only 7 days to complete this process, but take that account and multiply it by the thousands of loans they generate per day and it's a nice chunk of change. Now the question I asked them, which they refuse to answer, is, why can't this be done as quickly as you charge my credit card for a purchase I make? Still no answer. Did receive a couple of cookie cutter answers though. I've been with them going on 30 years, but I feel they have become too big and all the customer care that I remember them for years ago, is gone. Did I mention my mortgage refinancing with them was also terrible? Another story.

My husband has never had any issues with NFCU. I don't think it's because he's any nicer than I am when he calls but I am beginning to (after 21 years of giving them the benefit of the doubt) take it personally. I would love for someone in the highest decision-making echelons of NFCU to personally explain to me their rationale for some of the things they do:

For instance why does everyone in the family get their own access number and yet are not able to see all the accounts under their particular number unless they are the primary or joint owner? How many primary members' spouses have complete control over the finances at home and yet haven't the complete authority to handle (all) the accounts? I find it asinine that our accounts were once frozen while my husband was deployed because I sent a message under his access number and had the audacity to sign my own name. And this was back in the day when you couldn't just email the ship but were still numbering letters (I apparently am a very slow learner).

My new personal favorite is having two separate credit card numbers that pull from the same account. Ironically, I am unable to view either my credit card or the joint account under my own access number. I wonder if this means I then have to pay them? I will give them credit (admittedly, it hurts to write this) but it does make it easier to cancel a card without impacting the account (Were I to actually be able to see the hypothetical account, that is).

Which brings me to my next question (and a topic I've seen a few times in the thread below), why is it that I can't request to stop a recurring payment when I want to? I've been dealing with a recurring charge from Napster/Rhapsody for an embarrassingly long time. According to my canceled account with them, there is no billing information associated with the account which means they are not billing me (Hmmm, I say). And yet, each month there is that non-existent $9.99 charge again. I tried to settle this with NFCU and eventually received a form letter stating they didn't have enough info to deny the recurring charge. Forgive me but it is "my family's" money, not NFCU's, correct? Am I to be made to understand they are doing this for our own good - so as not to incur Rhapsody's legal wrath? I think I'll take my chances. I'm not looking to recoup the lost money - I'll take that as a painfully and apparently necessary heuristic experience.

And yet, perhaps I am doing them a disservice. Their ever vigilant fraud software did manage to "save" us numerous times while being stationed abroad. About once ever three months an alert would pop up on their system freezing the credit card. Usually when we were in the most remote travel destination in Europe. The system could detect us using the card in a small town in Croatia but could not detect the note on their system indicating we were traveling. Or the fact that we had an overseas mailing address.

Honestly, I've always had a pleasant experience with the individual representatives - even when they were telling me no. My frustration is more about feeling absolutely impotent to affect any change. Even if we were to thumb our noses and rage against the machine by switching our accounts, it wouldn't impact the executives who are the decision makers. It would impact us though - we have too much at this point tied into the accounts for it to be a smooth transition. I'm simply one of the "Who!"s without a Horton to sound the alarm.

I deposited money into an atm on Tuesday 8/23 and money is still not showing in my acct. Called NFC everyday since and was told I have to wait til they service the atm, four days later... Are you serious? Customer service rep and supervisors thought it was a joke, snickering and making I don't care noises, when all they had to do was credit my account with my money. What the hell should I lie for? As soon as you overdraft, they take that extra $20 for that $9 bag of Pampers... And what's sad NFC has a nerve to tell their customers... "We are convenient banking with more ways to bank, you get access to your money the way you want, when you want it"... (not me) so whether it's online, on your phone or in person at an atm???? Okay here's the ending, "And because we're member owned, we will always act in your best interest" Ok???? No best interest here...

Let's begin by saying I am or was four days before closing on a home loan and was told yesterday that my loan with Navy Federal was not approved by the underwriter. I was not given an explanation, options to get the loan approved, nor any resolution to the issue. I was contacted Monday, the week of closing that I would not be getting the loan. Please let me remind you I have a pre-approval and no changes since the pre-approval. The whole process with Navy Federal has been nothing short of a nightmare and anxiety attack. The loan processor would not communicate with me and when I would speak with her, she would say, we are on track and still schedule for closing on 8/25.

To add insult to injury, I already gave notice to my landlord that I am moving, and have to be out of my place the end of the month. Something else I made Navy Federal aware of. I have tried to contact a supervisor to discuss my concerns and to just get a freaking explanation to what happened and no one will return my calls or email. To all that reads this, find another lender that will appreciate their customers and not treat them with utter disrespect.

Where do I start? Should I talk about the collections rep who told me that I kept asking her the same questions over and over and she was doing me a favor by not hanging up on me (yep she did with the nastiest tone ever). Or should I talk about how I submitted a dispute for a purchase I made online and never received merchandise (btw I made this dispute in March). Navy Federal charged back a $140.00 on my account because I did not provide proof ( once again this dispute was in March). The charge back was done 2 days ago. I am completely lost on how they are charging back a credit from 5 months ago, but clearly transparency isn't this company's sweet spot. When the claim was submitted the rep NEVER I repeat NEVER told me I needed to provide any type of proof (once again this was in March).

So here we are today, I noticed the charge on my account and I called Navy Federal. I got the collections department and the 1st rep I talked to (the first of 6) completely switched my words around, I had to remind her that the call was being recorded. After being transferred a zillion times. I got another collections rep, she started off really nice. But I guess me saying Navy Fed customer service was horrible pissed her off. Because she then told me "I'm trying to assist you so don't get sassy with me or I will gladly hang up on you." (Shocked yet, there more.) I said "Wow, they allow you to speak to members like that." You would think she would fix her attitude but it gets worse from here. The rep proceeds to tell me all I'm doing is asking the same questions over and over and she is taking time out of her day to help me and I should be happy she is not asking me for a payment.

BUT wait there is more, she then tells me I got 3 options - 1. CALL THE DISPUTE DEPARTMENT 2. LEAVE A VOICEMAIL FOR A SUPERVISOR or 3. PAY WHAT I OWE. I was completely flabbergasted by this young ladies attitude and comments. I asked her to speak to her supervisor because she was being extremely rude.

Guys and gals - the "hold" put on your money from when it's deposited to when it's available isn't laziness or ineptitude, it's a profit-generating mechanism. Every minute they have your money and aren't allowing you to withdraw it, they're earning interest on it. Hypothetical: 100,000 customers, 2,400,000 paychecks a year, average paycheck $1,200, average hold time 2 days. That's 48 days every year that they have an extra 2,880,000,000 in the market. This is also why, in 1987, legislation was put in place to regulate banking hold times and what banks are allowed to do with those funds. NFCU pushes the boundaries of both, and while their practice is legal, it is thoroughly immoral.

It's insulting that they're allowed to have "Navy" in their name. They affiliate themselves as best they can for the sole reason that it is nearly impossible for someone on active duty to fail to pay back loan or credit card. Worse comes to worse, they'll just contact your command. Check out USAA. They deal in "real time" and they don't BS you about what "overdraft protection" is. Overdraft protection, from most banks, is exactly the OPPOSITE of overdraft protection.

For most banks (NFCU included), overdraft protection means "We'll let you draw your account negative, then charge you $35 per transaction and $17/day until the account is brought positive. And you have to opt out of it. Even Chase, who I actually really like as a bank because of the discounts they offer veterans, is a little sleazy when it comes to this. USAA just flat out tells you the reality of having and not having protection, you tell them the reality you want, and they make it happen.

NFCU, on the other hand, operates as: 1) "We got your money on Thursday, but you don't get it until Monday." 2) "Sneeze and we freeze your account." 3) "While no other bank freezes your account for overseas use, we will, because it's so RARE for SAILORS to use their banking overseas." Avoid this bank like the effing plague.

My husband and I recently relocated to TN to help care for my ailing father-in-law. We were staying with family hoping to buy a house since mortgages are often more affordable than rent on the same type of property. We both have student loans, and have owned a home before so we understood the process and that we might qualify for a higher rate or not at all, but we needed to know in a timely manner since we needed to get settled sooner rather than later. Within a week of arriving I called Navy Federal's Mortgage Department to get pre-approval on a loan on a Friday morning so we could begin looking at houses. The website promises 1-2 business days on most pre-approvals, and after giving all our information to the person on the phone, we were told we should know after the weekend. Monday went by, then Tuesday with no word, no e-mails... nothing.

I called Wednesday only to be told that the process generally took 3-5 business days before anyone would even be in contact, and that my assigned loan officer was on the phone but would be contacting me "shortly." Another day goes by with nothing--no calls, no e-mails. I called on Thursday morning asking for the name and contact information for my loan officer (Jennifer **) only to be told yet again that she was on a phone call and would be contacting me "shortly." I e-mailed her and asked when I could expect a decision since we were past pre-approval interest and had found a house we liked already. She then asked me for information that was easily accessible in the documentation I had already sent her the week prior.

Another two days passed with no information. The application was finally sent to the credit committee a full week after I initially applied for pre-approval (much longer than the 1-2 business days the website promises). I then had to call, email, and hound her for the decision. After being told she was on the phone yet again, she told me she had the decision and would e-mail it to me. I waited over an hour with no e-mail, and finally contacted Navy Federal Customer Service to complain. About 30 minutes after that I received a one-sentence e-mail that simply said that the loan had been denied based on credit history. I was immediately on the phone with Lending Tree who put me in touch with Mortgage Lenders of America who had me pre-approved for a USDA mortgage within 24 hours. In waiting for Navy Federal, the house we initially wanted received an offer and was pulled off the market, but luckily we found something else.

I had been pleased with Navy Federal prior to this experience. They were highly recommended by my brother-in-law (a Navy vet), and everything has been smooth with the checking/savings account we opened last year. The mortgage department, however, is another story. I don't mind if they didn't find us credit-worthy. That happens and there are other lenders and we were willing to rent if necessary. But extending a promised 1-2 days for pre-approval into well over a week and not communicating with your clients unless they hound you (I still never once spoke with my loan officer--only short e-mails), is unacceptable. People have the right to know your decisions in a timely manner so they can explore other options if necessary.

I bank with Navy Federal Credit Union (NFCU). I recently made a debit charge to my account knowing what balance I had in my account. My checking account immediately showed that the debit amount was drafted out leaving a lower balance. The following day another draft was made from my account from a creditor that I had set out to pay via their online payment system. This transaction did not show up until the next day after midnight. The debit purchase that was made on the twenty ninth showed that it cleared my account but they charged me an over-draft protection fee, then again they charged another over-draft protection fee on the second charge.

When I called to speak with the manager he explained that the system processed the debit transaction after the credit payment. I asked them "so why is it that you provide your customers with online banking, phone apps, etc., showing their current balance when it is untrue." I demanded a credit for the debit overdraft transaction because I saw when it was removed from my account showing a positive balance. I would be interested in learning how many customers are suffering from these deceitful processes, overdrafts with horrible excuses from these lending institutions. Customers have no way of knowing what happens from the bank end and if they are truly processing these transactions as they choose. It is unfair to the customers and something has to be done. Banks, credit unions, etc., know they are getting away with it and so they continue to abuse the situation.

First the good, the Navy Federal Credit Union was excellent following up on the home loan process, however very inconsistent in requirements for a loan. I had to resend my faxes several times because they could/would add something else. I did get preapproved and they sent the preapproval letter to my home. I lost the preapproval letter and contacted them over and over again to please send me the letter, via email most and one phone call, never got it. Always how is the mortgage process going? Never was I told that the preapproval process was on good for 90 days and now they want to recharge me so that is about $30 for what they already charged me before because the loan application has expired. See ya!

I've only been banking with NFCU for a year and a half. However my experience has been better in that short time than the experience I had with 121 Financial for 20 years. The Customer Service Representative go well beyond the call of duty. I am very happy with Navy Federal Credit Union.

I want to first start off by saying that I was forced to join NFCU when I enlisted into the U.S. Navy 20 years ago. Looking back now, it seems pretty jacked up to me. With that said, I recently applied for a mortgage pre-approval online with NFCU. I researched their website beforehand to see what required documentation I would need and obtained it (i.e. W2s, pay stubs, asset information, etc.). I was assigned a loan officer the next day and was able to upload these documents via their secure document upload. The following day after that I received an email from my loan officer asking me to upload the very same documents. I responded in kind informing her I had already done so. A couple of more days go by and I still had yet to hear anything.

As with most things in life, I am ignorant when it comes to home loan pre-approvals. Especially since this is my first time applying for one. However, the website claims 2-3 business days. So two days later I emailed the loan officer asking if there is anything else that was needed from me since I had not heard anything (it was my nice way of saying "Hello? Anybody there?"). I received an email from my loan officer only telling me that she was busy and would get to my application as soon as possible. Nothing more.

A week passes by and now I try calling my "loan officer" only to get her voicemail. I went to their Facebook page to ask a general question of how long a pre-approval should take. Instead of answering the question they directed me to their 1-800 mortgage line number. So I called the mortgage line and the only help they could provide me was to inform me that I was assigned a loan officer. I told them I knew that and that she had not contacted me and it had been a week already. They apparently made contact with her somehow and the representative was able to relay a message from her to me... To tell me she is busy and would contact me later.

I waited a couple of hours and did not hear from her so I called only to get her voicemail again. I again emailed her via the message site and I did receive a response this time. Again, apologizing and only telling me her that she is busy and will get to my application as soon as possible. I had it at this point so I went online to research other lenders. I was put in contact with one and after providing the same information over the phone, I received a written pre-approval authorization within THREE HOURS and at a lower rate than advertised on the NFCU website. This is not the first time I have had such poor service from them either. I should have jumped ship a long time ago. I will certainly fix that here soon. It saddens me that other institutions take better care of military members.

First of all let me start by saying that I despise navy federal. They hire idiots to work for them and they tell you lie after lie. They also allow people who have stolen your identity open accounts in your name. Long story short, I refinanced my car with them and then someone opened a fraudulent account with my California ID. I told them who the person was and they still locked my account by the way has been locked since July 26, 2015. I ended up losing my main income and when I called to tell them that I was no longer working and trying to get my social security started they did not care.

As of this date my car note is two months behind and my checking account which was locked last year still has money in it to cover some of my car note. I should have kept my behind with Nissan motors credit. I would have been finished paying for my car next may, but since I refinanced it with navy federal I am stuck another three years and they keep telling me that I have not even started paying the principal, just the interest.

Do not do business with this credit union because they are not for the military families and definitely not for the civilians who are sponsored by family members. I am looking out of my door every few minutes to make sure that they don't repossess my car. I need my car. I have a nineteen-year-old autistic son that's non-verbal who I need to get to doctors & hospitals in case of emergencies. I need answers on how to get my car out of this situation. My credit score dropped 300 points fooling with this place. I cannot finance a piece of bubble gum. How far behind does the car note have to be before I get a knock on my door from the repo company? I want to start a class action lawsuit against navy federal credit union.

My experiences with Navy Federal have been poor the last month. I'm a retired Army member, so there has never been any question of my qualification to join. Sent proper paperwork to membership. Received welcome e-mail and applied for credit card, checking plus savings, and checking line of credit same day. Until a month again my account got hack. Someone deposited some money into my account. They took money out of my account. Now Navy stated I am held accountable for it. No one wants to help me or No one can give me answers, and I've asked three different departments.

I called them to challenge the charges and now disputing the charge. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that I will prevail, but NFCU makes it hard. In the past, I was charged over $3000 by someone who had gotten my checking account and savings account information number. I asked NFCU to investigate but they told me "it just wasn't worth it". I have won every time, but they still fight me. I'm ready to give my business to someone who cares.

Compare Banks & Credit Unions