2. Finance
  3. Banks and Credit Unions

3.5/5 (272 ratings)

About Navy Federal Credit Union

Navy Federal Credit Union Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navy Federal Credit Union?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navy Federal Credit Union?

Original review: June 14, 2021

Representatives are knowledgeable, always willing to work with you to resolve any issues. I've been with Navy Federal for years, and I plan to stick with them as long as possible as long as I keep receiving the awesome service that I have been getting.

Original review: June 7, 2021

I have been a NFCU member now for over 20 years and cannot say enough about how wonderful they have been. Just recently someone had gotten my credit card information and was charging stuff left and right on my account but thank God NFCU noticed the charges way before I did and placed a stop on all charges to my account and then contacted me to let me know. I have since gotten a new card and was not responsible for any of the charges that were made on my account. I am just so thankful for the great work the NFCU representative did to get me all set up with my new card and assure me everything was good to go and all the charges were cleared against me. I just cannot say how The NFCU team has brought me peace of mind. I recommend them to everyone.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 4, 2021

I have been a member of NFCU for over 40 years and have always experienced fast, friendly and responsive financial service whether in country or internationally. I highly recommend joining NFCU if you're in need of a financial institution and are eligible.

Original review: June 2, 2021

I would have given them a 10 as that is how great the CU is...They are seriously geared towards customer service and their members are number one. I have been with them for 6 years now and I am so glad I switched of crappy BOA. BOA doesn't give one rat's butt about their customers. Navy Federal goes out of their way to make sure you are happy and well taken care of.

Original review: May 31, 2021

I like that they have fingerprint and face recognition when signing on and dual layer protection when signing on with other devices like my tablet/computer. It gives me added assurance when I log in. If I know a pending deposit is waiting to post I can go to their online calendar to see what day it's going to post to my account. Everything I need is easy to navigate to on the app and online. I'm a very satisfied customer of Navy Federal...they helped me with guidance to help build my credit and my rep offered to let me call him during that time with questions, which I did a couple of times. So glad I found them!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

It took 90 days to receive a decision. Loan Officer Andrew, BEWARE! Andrew attempted to charge me $600 for 2nd visit appraisal. Had to speak with supervisor to get correct cost $175. Andrew is unpleasant, poor customer service and unresponsive. Experience reminded me of stories told about lenders who discriminate in ** cities and neighborhoods. Supervisor took responsibility for appraisal cost scam then tried to give lower rate to smooth over incident. Then denied loan for LTV. This is a home without a mortgage or liens. Recently remodeled. The entire interaction with Navy Federal is suspect.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

The Credit Union took money from my rent checking account for a late credit card payment. As soon as I saw the account was short $132, I called to talk to a representative that reassured me twice that the funds would be reverted back the same day. I check my account today and noticed a return check fee, part of the rent money still in the account, and to make matters worse the property manager pulled up while I am on the phone with a representative. I am livid about how I had to hold for 25 mins for their mistake.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

Many years ago, I really loved Navy Federal Credit Union. I recently decided to leave big banking and take 2 very large accounts back to them. I am no longer active duty, but a veteran who was actually proud to be returning to do business with them. There is no way to express just how completely stunned, and disappointed at my experience over the last few months. I have not had a working account yet, all due to things that hsv3 been completely out of my control, and through no fault of Chase, which is one of the banks I was transferring from.

Then to top it off, I have had such horrible experiences with rude representatives on the phone. Along with 2 times being placed on hold for 42 minutes on one call, for which I finally hung up because I knew they were at that point closed, and I could be holding until the next day. Then to be told I should plan to be on hold for over an hour, just to get them to turn loose of money they took from my chase account, and though I have gone into branches to show my identity, they still will not close the account that they apparently opened just to get my money from chase, but then will not let me have access to no matter what I do.

Needless to say, I'm absolutely not leaving chase for an institution that operates like this. I do not know what happened to them, but it is not the same Navy Federal I was once a member of. There is no way I would entrust them with 200 dollars, much less 200k after this experience is finally handled. I'm not sure how they could still even be in business, given what this experience has been like. I am shocked that anyone would entrust them with anything. It has been such an inexcusable, and unpleasant experience from the start, and I only got as far as having them transfer the money from chase to open the account. I guess the only good thing to come from this, is that they have only held me in this hostage situation with a smaller transferred amount of money from my chase account.

I did not leave chase, nor did I transfer a large amount to Navy Federal, so they harmed me no further than just several months of being an absolute maddening nonsensical outrageous business model, disregard, disrespect of my time, while holding the money they managed to take from my bank account with Chase hostage, my going into branches to prove my identity OVER AND OVER, being tossed around, cut off, hung up on, or put on hold to infinity, etc., I will eventually finally be done with this hassle, and this institution and whatever happened to it forever. Thank GOD!! So I cannot at all ever again recommend navy federal credit union for anything, most especially business as important as one's finances. That's for sure.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

Third VA loan with NFCU. Husband is retired military, 22 years, a member of NFCU for 36 years. This loan application has been a nightmare. They keep making mistakes, passing the buck to another person, then moving the goalposts, then blaming us. We’re three weeks past the original closing date. Supposed to clear today, then nothing. Crickets. Horrible experience.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

I opened a business account with Navy Federal 5 months ago. It has been the worst experience of my life for owning a business. I am absolutely canceling my business with Navy Federal and opening with another bank. They put anywhere from 1 to 5 day holds on checks as small as $800. There's no way around it. You can't sign up for anything extra or change anything or do anything. It doesn't matter how good the check is. It doesn't matter about anything. I'm trying to build my business without using credit and being beholden to some crappy Bank like Navy Federal. I don't want to owe them no 18% interest on credit that they ** give me. It's **.

I do not recommend ever open in a business account for anyone under any circumstances with Navy Federal Credit Union. They don't understand business. They're not there to help. Everything is done on East Coast time so if you live on the west coast like I do you're pretty much up the creek. You can't get no help. You're screwed by the time zone difference and when they do help they tell you the wrong information. You got to call three times just to get the right information. We won't even go over how hard it was to get a business debit card. It took me 5 hours and 4 days in order to do it. It took me a whole another week just to get it to set up.

I warned you. Do not open an account with Navy Federal Credit Union. It will be the worst experience of your life. Please go to another bank. You have now been officially warned. Open an account with Navy Federal Credit Union at your own risk. You will be extremely disappointed with the service. You will be extremely disappointed with how the system works and they will hold your money to take your money to make their own money on your money with no valid reason and no valid excuse whatsoever. Thank you and have a good day.

Navy Federal Credit Union author review by Barbara Friedberg

Navy Federal Credit Union was founded in 1933 with seven members and has grown to have 5 million today. Members must be affiliated with the Department of Defense, Coast Guard, National Guard or U.S. Armed Forces. Immediate family members of the Navy Federal Credit Union can also join.

• Products and services: Navy Federal Credit Union offers a complete suite of checking, savings, credit cards and loan products. They also provide online and mobile banking.

• Credit cards: The credit union has credit, debit, prepaid, specialty prepaid and gift cards.

• Membership benefits: There are a variety of promotions and benefits for Navy Federal Credit Union members including low loan rates, loan and insurance discounts, discount partner offers and more.

• Saving benefits: To support saving and financial security, the credit union offers a special high interest rate certificate of deposit.

• Mobile and text banking: The mobile app allows customers 24/7 account access and is supported by Apple, Android and Kindle Fire devices. The text banking provides alerts as well as transfers and account information.

• Advice and planning: The resource center offers extensive information about managing money, retirement, financial planning, taxes, military and work life. This portal also includes financial calculators, free navy financial planning and home buying seminars.

• Security center: The fraud protection portal gives advice regarding credit and debit card fraud, phishing scams, online and mobile security along with ATM security.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor