Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.64/5

Navy Federal Credit Union Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navy Federal Credit Union?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navy Federal Credit Union?

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

Navy Federal gave us an excellent rate, they worked with us to get everything done quickly as the seller was in a hurry due to having already purchased another home. Closing went smooth and seamless. They were available and able to answer any questions and concerns we had along the way. I was very pleased with the experience overall. Buying a home is a stressful experience, and they made it as stress free and seamless as anyone possibly could.

Original review: July 10, 2020

I sold my house and purchased a new home in April during this pandemic. My previous mortgage company was SunTrust and I decided to go with Navy Federal. I was little put off by all the reviews but it was a great experience and better than my previous one. Everything was done online, but I still had a great contact and follow up with the Navy Federal Team. Everyone followed up timely, provided great explanations, and guided me through the process. Even the underwriting team was wonderful which is not a typical experience. I cannot recommend them enough. The portal for loading and receiving documents is easy to understand and very detailed. The support was great and I even had follow up calls after hours. Definitely A+ effortless experience.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 13, 2020

I applied for a credit card in January 2020 before all of this pandemic stuff start going on and I was shockingly approved for $9,700. 3 months later in April 2020 I got a email from NFCU saying that they were automatically raising my limit by $500 bringing my credit line to $10,200.The next month in May of 2020 I applied for a pandemic relief loan and was approved for $5,000 with a very good interest rate and option to pay back over 2 years. My credit is not that great 580 Equifax to 650 Transunion. I do have a recent bankruptcy from 4 years earlier in 2016 and they still approved me for everything above. I really like this credit union because they really try to satisfy the customer's needs, and thankfully to God at those times I was the customer whose needs they were meeting.

Original review: April 19, 2020

First off, I see a lot of bad reviews for the mortgage process with NFCU. I also see some good reviews. I wanted to offer my experience that I went through before I completed my refinance on my home. It’s was not all good, but not all bad either, but in the long run I was happy and satisfied with what I received, which is why I gave a 5 star rating.

I have been a USAA customer for years and still use USAA as my main bank for checking. When I started to look into refinancing my house early last year (2019) I shopped around for the best deal I could find. Believe it or not that best deal and rate was from NFCU at the time. In order to apply I had to open a checking account and become a member, which was pretty easy and I completed only on my smartphone. My application for a home loan refinance took about a week to get a response and I was pre approved. I did use the same two programs that other reviews have spoke about to upload documents... very confusing.

My loan processor(s) were very helpful and normally responded to my email within a day. When I tried to call I very really got a returned phone call. My Loan girl changed hands maybe 3-5 times with different loan processors, but each one told me about the number of mortgages applications they had because of the lower rates so I completely understood. I think it was July of 2019 when everything was finalized but closing did not take place until the end of October. This was mainly because of the sheer number of applications they were having to process.

The real thing I like about NFCU, is they keep the mortgage themselves. They don’t sell it off to another third party. My first mortgage was with USAA but that sold it right away to GMAC, who went under and sold it to Ocwen, who then converted to PHH mortgage.... very confusing. But NFCU doesn’t do that, they handle the loan themselves. Long story short, if you're looking for a good deal, good I treat rate and you okay with waiting 8-10 months to close then I would recommend going to NFCU!

Original review: March 2, 2020

We used to have TIAA Bank as our mortgage lender. I didn't like them! Their system made it very difficult to pay the bill and communicate effectively with them. My husband served in the US Navy and when he contacted NFCU, they made things easier for me since he gives me the $$$, and I pay the bills. NFCU offered us a better rate and more professional service. We didn't even have to leave our home for the closing. The lawyer came to us!!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

NFCU is a racist organization that falsely claimed a lower credit fico score than it is. Their racist loan questions are a violation of the fair housing act. Their credit score was 80 plus points below what we were actually looking at while talking to an incompetent loan officer. Their questions about race are illegal as I am a licensed RE broker and violation of Federal law.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

We took out our mortgage with NFCU in 2017, and had nothing but good to say about them. But tried to refinance in 2020 and everything has changed. Believe the negative reviews, they hold you up and there is no way of getting in contact with real people. Just look around their site. Try to find a place where there is a phone number to a human or an email address. It doesn’t change after you apply. You are left in the dark waiting on information from people you have no way to contact. PreCOVID you could walk in and talk to people, but since you can’t anymore, there is no accountability as they hide behind the excuse that the demand is high. We applied in mid November and in mid January have yet to receive a single email or phone call from our processor. I have a feeling we won’t end up finishing this refi with NFCU.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2021

Yesterday, while attempting to make a cash deposit at Navy Federal Credit Union located in Laurel Maryland, I experienced prejudice, intolerance and embarrassment. It was 38 degrees as I patiently waited in the entrance line forming down the sidewalk. The line moved fairly consistent so it wasn’t more than 5 to 10 minutes before I was invited to walk in.

Upon entering, the person at the door stated, “There is hand sanitizer in the center, proceed to the open teller”. “I can’t use alcohol-based sanitizers,” I replied. A 2nd attempt at forcing me to use some unknown chemical product was made. I asked Chris, the person attempting to force compliance “show me Navy Federal's policy that denies a veteran access for not using hand sanitizer if they have a medical condition.” At this point, my son and I were kicked out of the location. Dewayne, the bank manager, walked out. Again, I requested to see Navy Federal's policy that denies a veteran access due to not using hand sanitizer who has a medical condition and cannot use hand sanitizers. Dewayne replied, “what they have us doing with things that are happening is I can take your transaction out here.”

“So, you can deny me access with a medical condition for not using hand sanitizer, are you sure under the American disability act that’s the proper thing to do?” “Yes”, Dewayne replied. Dewayne wanted me to make my financial transaction on the sidewalk in front of everyone. It wasn’t until I made several requests did, he finally take care of my deposit in some sort of privacy. Fortunately, I recorded a video of the entire event and will file a complaint with the US Department of Justice.

While I understand the importance of hygiene, Navy Federal should understand immunology, genetics, and the potential side effects from a chemical reaction before forcing the use of topical skin agents. Unlabeled chemical sanitizers are absorbed by the skin and can agitate Psoriasis and cause numerous medical reactions even in people without autoimmune disease. This type of discrimination only adds to the social and psychological burden of the disease. In addition, they embarrassed me by forcing me to publicly state my private medical information in front of a public crowd. This caused my son to start crying because he didn’t understand why Navy Federal wouldn’t help us. In a time of real anxiety, maybe Navy Federal should focus on education and empathy verse the absurd, cruel, and counterproductive practices.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

Great folks to work with, always willing to help. Whole process is extremely easy, from start to finish. Repayment plans more than flexible enough to meet my need in these ever changing times of uncertainty.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2020

I have been a Navy Federal customer for almost 20 years. They were my first and only choice when it came to a Home Loan. I wish I had believed the reviews here. Like most of the reviews when my Loan went to the Loan Processor everything went to hell. I started my application towards the end of May with a desired closing date of July 15th. Loan # **. I spoke with my Loan officer (Ronja **) on the phone, she was friendly, great and we received our Pre-Approval quickly. At first I went with the Realty Plus program that they offer, but we were not assigned a real estate agent until 2 weeks later, I missed out on making offers on all of the houses on our search except our last choice.

Although I like my current home, I missed several opportunities to buy a newer house with a larger amount of acreage that went for the a similar price as our current home. I uploaded all the required documents and my Loan was sent to the Loan Processor. (Rushana **) She emailed me on June 3rd and said she needed a few more items from me. I emailed her the required items and she said everything looked good. She would be sending everything to the underwriter and she would reach out if she needed anything else. At this point I assumed everything was good and I went about my life as if I was moving my family Across the country to our new home.

Fast Forward to Friday, July 10th and I was contacted by the title attorneys and they had not received all the paperwork to close on the 15th. I was told that they don't send out the paperwork more than a couple of days before closing. We loaded up the U-Haul and stated driving from California to West Virginia. On Monday July 13th, I was told I needed to send in more paperwork to make sure I close on time and that I had a new Loan processor. The next day I was told I would not close on the July 15th like expected because my Loan had not been sent to the Underwriter. We did not close until a week later on July 22nd. I had an extra week of U-Haul fees, Hotel Costs, and eating out every day. I reached out and asked to speak to a supervisor, but was only left an voice mail.

When I attempted to return the phone call and email again, I was ignored. I had to ask my command for extra leave and my family was stressed not knowing if we were going to actually move into our new home. I'm sure everyone involved still made their commissions and moved forward like nothing happened. I was finally contacted after I made a complaint through BBB, but it was just, "Sorry for your experience and send receipts so we can see if we can reimburse you." No reimbursement happened.

Navy Federal Credit Union author review by Barbara Friedberg

Navy Federal Credit Union was founded in 1933 with seven members and has grown to have 5 million today. Members must be affiliated with the Department of Defense, Coast Guard, National Guard or U.S. Armed Forces. Immediate family members of the Navy Federal Credit Union can also join.

• Products and services: Navy Federal Credit Union offers a complete suite of checking, savings, credit cards and loan products. They also provide online and mobile banking.

• Credit cards: The credit union has credit, debit, prepaid, specialty prepaid and gift cards.

• Membership benefits: There are a variety of promotions and benefits for Navy Federal Credit Union members including low loan rates, loan and insurance discounts, discount partner offers and more.

• Saving benefits: To support saving and financial security, the credit union offers a special high interest rate certificate of deposit.

• Mobile and text banking: The mobile app allows customers 24/7 account access and is supported by Apple, Android and Kindle Fire devices. The text banking provides alerts as well as transfers and account information.

• Advice and planning: The resource center offers extensive information about managing money, retirement, financial planning, taxes, military and work life. This portal also includes financial calculators, free navy financial planning and home buying seminars.

• Security center: The fraud protection portal gives advice regarding credit and debit card fraud, phishing scams, online and mobile security along with ATM security.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor