Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.52/5

Navy Federal Credit Union Reviews

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

I was skeptical at first to move my money from one bank to a new one, but I am glad I did! The Customer Service, which is what I was lacking at my previous bank has been phenomenal. Whether I am calling or visiting a branch, the customer service has been amazing. I have had some credit issues and struggles and I decided one night I was up late to apply for a CC and I shouted so loud when I found out I was approved with a big credit limit. They do believe in 2nd chances and I will sure treasure this opportunity and not mess it up.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

I’ve read a lot of these reviews and I’m shocked! My family experience has been great! I constantly get alerts on my phone when a charge is made. My eDeposits are available immediately, customer service is super friendly. Why I stayed? I had (still do USAA for YEARS). 4 years after my bankruptcy they denied me getting a credit card so I can reestablish credit, & denied my loan for a mortgage (1st time buyer). Seems I'm only eligible to buy whatever products they’re selling. I’m only keeping USAA because my direct deposit is available early.

I just knew Navy Fed was going to do the same thing since I’ve only been a member for 2 years. & Surprisingly, after applying for a mortgage loan & credit card, I was approved. The woman on the phone even laughed when I screamed. Even my credit card limit was high (my interest rate is 7.7%) I was shocked and extremely happy. I had my son joined. So far he’s had 3 separate instances of someone putting fraudulent charges on his account. Each time, navy fed alerted him and he got his money back. Maybe the institution varies where you live? Hopefully I never experience anything as awful as the other reviewers.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

First of all, I'll start off by saying ALL Credit Unions I've had are FAR AND AWAY SUPERIOR to ALL BANKS PERIOD. 7 Years ago I already have my accounts with San Diego County Credit Union for YEARS. Love them, very small local only bank, very friendly people, they're great. 3 years ago, NFCU opened a new Branch near me, my brother & Nephews all bank with NFCU & kept after me to open an account, but I didn't see the point, I was happy with SDCCU, why should I open another account with yet another bank? I also have an online only Capital One 360 account for the past 15 years.

So finally they talked me into it, I opened a Personal Bank/Savings account with NFCU only because this made it made money transfers to and from my brothers/Nephews easier. It's been over 3 years now, I have to say I'm very very impressed! NFCU Online access experience is Superior to SDCCU. Then last year they approved a $25.000 Platinum Card @ only 8.24% Rate after 0% interest runs out in 15 months, with only a "GOOD" credit score rating. How can you beat this?

Well, now I just found out from my Nephew they will allow me to apply again for 2 more of these same Platinum cards! (Apparently they allow anyone up to 3 cards total, even if all 3 are Platinum Cards!) SO, they just approved my brother for his 2nd 0% platinum card RIGHT when he needed it MOST, even though his credit is only fair due to high Utilization, which this card is now going to help with TREMENDOUSLY! At this point, Impressed is an understatement! I have absolutely nothing negative to say about NFCU.

One last piece of VERY GOOD advice... Never ever under any circumstances should anyone ever bank or have anything to do with Bank of America or Chase! The two worst banks ever in the history of mankind! Total stupidity to have anything to do with BOA or Chase! And many of you are nodding your head in agreement with this right now, aren't you?

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

As a military veteran, I have to say that I've enjoyed my banking time with both Navy Federal CU (NFCU) and USAA Bank for their online resources specific to a not-so-small segment of the population that is often misunderstood and stereotyped by the general population and by social media. We are also 2x as likely to have data breach incidents and identity theft than civilians, from independent studies. What both NFCU and USAA have provided me are less headaches, stress and anxiety, and stomach ulcers from banks and credit unions that "claim" they wish to honor service-members, retirees, dependents and survivors, and veterans. Most will say the same about emergency services and their sacrifices as well.

Having been a former Wells Fargo, Bank of America, Chase Bank, US Bank NA, and a local credit union customer (San Francisco/Bay Area CA) that needs to remain nameless, and I'm embarrassed to admit that I WAS a member of Capital One online banking services, NFCU and USAA have been there for me as an aging member of the national population plus done their utmost to stay in touch and contact me when I have any concerns or questions as to my bank accounts, credit cards, insurance, etc, etc.

I've had NO sudden overdraft fees or hidden fees/penalty fees due to payments being withheld and taken out of order; I haven't found myself suddenly in negative balances in the minus hundreds with the excuse that "there are insufficient funds available" and "overdraft protection is your friend, relax Mr. **!" Nor did they understand when I suddenly became frozen and emotionless yet still quite visibly angry. In the past, I've had to be escorted off the premises by the police and insulted by a teller, with witnesses present, due to being a former service-member. By phone, text, or online has been no better for me.

Again, the exception being NFCU and USAA who go out of their way to treat me with respect as a person and for being a veteran. I've had nine (9), data breaches and identity thefts in 2018-2019 alone, the most recent is a month old, Gmail & Google accounts and NFCU's and USAA's separate efforts of multi-layered security, 2-process identity verification online log on, multi-process phone identity verification, and so on in my personal experience, far surpass the banks/credit union previously mentioned above. I've lost very little sleep knowing they actually value me as a customer. My credit monitoring services all list me as being Exceptional-rating or A-rating when it comes to paying bills, etc., so NFCU and USAA KNOW THIS and it is part of their separate pattern-recognition protocols and have contacted me when I've made a digital or reality purchase and a SNAFU (situation normal, all fouled-up) has occurred. Every time!

Not brag or boast but mere fact backed-up by paperless accounting, online accounts, AND text messaging. These fine folks are also veterans, dependents and/or survivors, retirees, former Department of Defense, former government officials, former emergency services, or have known or know military-related people and emergency-service personnel, and college students so they can actually relate to our perspectives. They definitely understand my goofy sense of humor and my take on personal responsibility, security and safety, and why I'm compelled to honor my word.

They continue to understand and compliment me when I make necessary info changes such as my choice of cancelling all my Google product accounts including Gmail, which took 2 days to delete years of information Google collected on me including everything, yes everything! From the Spam folder collected over the years as part of Google's "privacy protection"; changing emails; password changes; my verification of goods and services over a certain amount; online shopping credentials; online veteran services credentials; I could go on and on with praises but I think I've said more than enough about NFCU and USAA except to say, that for them, it's just another regular day at the office providing help and assistance. With deepest gratitude and warmth, they have earned my thanks many times over.

Original review: July 16, 2019

In May 2019, after reviewing rates, I decided to apply for a VA mortgage with Navy Federal Credit Union. I submitted everything that was required per information on their website and I received pre-approval in a very short period of time. My loan officer was Ms. ** and she was phenomenal, she contacted me a couple of times to verify some information, and once she had everything in order, passed my information to the loan processor, Mr. **. He immediately contacted me and explained where I was in the process (awaiting VA appraisal and titling). He also told me that Ms. ** had done an outstanding job of preparing my loan packet and he was sending it for the first review.

Once the VA appraisal was completed, he notified me, verified a a couple of more things, and informed me that my loan packet was going for final review. This is where things slowed down considerably. I was about a week from my scheduled closing date (15 July 2019) and still had not received final approval. The Thursday before closing, Mr. ** sent me an email at 3:15pm informing me that the reviewer had began working on my packet.

At 3:37pm I received another email from Mr. ** congratulating me on being approved. Mr. ** called me and apologized for the delay and explained that they were a little backed up because so many people were applying for mortgage loans due to the low interest rates. I completely understood. I read a lot of negative reviews about the NFCU mortgage process but I can honestly say that Ms. ** and Mr. ** kept me informed every step of the way and made this a very smooth process for me. I highly recommend NFCU!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navy Federal Credit Union?

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

20 years relationship is over. I start this by saying that in years past I have enjoyed many good seasons with Navy Federal, but the last few years have undone every good experience. My first problem occurred several years ago when I was selling my home. Mind you that I purchased that home in 2004 and made every payment on time except that final one which I had called and discussed with them. The house was in Florida and closing was put on hold for a hurricane passing through. Because all of the documents were awaiting signature, I told the representative that I was not posting that payment due to a sale in progress. They still tacked a delinquency on my credit. Mind you I weathered the housing market crash and pretty well took a breakeven deal to honor my commitment to them.

Fast forward to now and recently requested a home equity loan with nearly 100K equity on my home. Requesting 75K, the greedy Navy Federal mortgage department offered me an inflated double digit interest deal that was completely ridiculous given the secured nature of the loan. Now I just received a letter denying my loan request that I turned down because of their greedy rates. I guess they need to save face... Done with this horrible credit union. Steer clear everyone!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

DO NOT USE NFCU FOR A MORTGAGE LOAN - REGARDLESS OF THE RATES!! I decided to apply for a mortgage refinance through NFCU due to their competitive rates. I started the process early November of 2019 with the understanding that it would take approximately 80 days to close (it sounded like a warning from one of the managers but I could wait for that period of time). We are beyond 90 days and I am still waiting to finalize what shouldn't be a complicated loan (excellent credit score and LTV).

The worst part of the experience is the uncertainty due to the lack of response from the loan processor. It is extremely difficult to get a hold of the assigned processor and when you contact the 877 line, there is little they can do to actually help or update you on the loan process. They will literally direct your call to the processor (who won't answer, respond to voice mails or e-mails promptly); or escalate the issue to a department which again does nothing to substantially help. I am not sure how much longer I will have to wait to finally close on this refinance, but it has definitely not been worth the wait and a total unsatisfying experience. Will never use their mortgage service department again.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

I am a veteran and joined with the intention of assuming an existing VA loan which was non-performing. After 10 weeks of different depts. I decided I would pay cash and the hell with Navy Federal and their complete incompetence. Absolutely the worst customer service and experience I have ever had at any financial institution. I have a 800+ credit score and the loan I was striving to assuming was non-performing. It seemed they would rather foreclose than have someone pay them on time.

I would rather have cancer and have no choice but to go the VA Hospital (we veterans know how bad that is) than deal with Navy Federal Credit Union ever again. I closed my acct and I never want to see their name again. How they are the largest, I have no idea as they have no concept of people's time or keeping their word about calling you back. If you need something, do not be fooled thinking they care about Veterans. They can care less. Run, don't walk away from this institution.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

Every day you hear about banks being broken into left and right. It's not that the hackers are so clever that they can hack a system in a matter of time. It's the fact that banks like Navy Federal Credit spend close to nothing on securing your information. As a merchant, we received 2 credit cards that we knew were stolen. We contacted them in 1 week from the two attempts. So being responsible we contacted Navy Credit Union to report them as possible fraud, and navy federal credit union did nothing to stop the card from being used even though we were suspicious and knew it was fraud. They refused to at least contact the cardholder and ask them. They refused to put the card oh hold. Both times they gave us bs responses as if they dont care.

After researching Navy Credit, we found discovered that they use FISERVE to hold all your information, bank info, social security information, street the works. FISERVE is known to get hacked every 30 seconds and sued by dozens of banks. (Google fiserve lawsuit) and see the number of times they get sued for breaches life and right. Next time we get another hacked card, the convo is going to get recorded with any personal info bleeped out and everyone can see for themselves just how banks so called protect your info.

Case in point, they dont make up their own security measures. If you ever wondered if you called a few banks or had accounts with different banks and just wondered why their procedures for logging into systems or getting account info over the phone is close to identical. How dumb is that? if that technique gets hacked every single bank that uses that technique gets in jeopardy. And what are the chances of all banks or majority of banks using the same identical procedures? Think about that. And we'd watch the next time you use their so called mobile banking app. Where do you think 99.9% of the viruses out there come from and are targeted at. Would never use navy federal credit or get an app for them. I'd burn it!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

Please save your own time and skip NFCU for your mortgage. Attempting to complete a mortgage approval is insanely tedious. Does anyone even work in the Processing Department? At every turn they want you to do the work that they are supposed to be doing. My refinance completely stalled because they used my contact address in place of the refinance property address. This was a loan initially from NFCU!! They wanted every document again from the inspections, HOA, etc because the development wasn't approved for lending!? How can it be, you ask? It's as if this department is a completely isolated and independent contractor with no internal links to NFCU.

Appalling customer service. At this point not a single person answers their phones and the voicemail boxes don't even have a recorded message from the recipients, haha. THAT'S NO JOKE! They are trying to ghost their own customers (and shareholders if you still believe that "CU" in the name means anything). Do you want a 22 year old Florida native (no offense Florida) handling your 400k loan, i.e. 40k down?

Not sure about Navy Federal Credit Union?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right mortgage company for you.

Navy Federal Credit Union expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Navy Federal Credit Union was founded in 1933 with seven members and has grown to have 5 million today. Members must be affiliated with the Department of Defense, Coast Guard, National Guard or U.S. Armed Forces. Immediate family members of the Navy Federal Credit Union can also join.

• Products and services: Navy Federal Credit Union offers a complete suite of checking, savings, credit cards and loan products. They also provide online and mobile banking.

• Credit cards: The credit union has credit, debit, prepaid, specialty prepaid and gift cards.

• Membership benefits: There are a variety of promotions and benefits for Navy Federal Credit Union members including low loan rates, loan and insurance discounts, discount partner offers and more.

• Saving benefits: To support saving and financial security, the credit union offers a special high interest rate certificate of deposit.

• Mobile and text banking: The mobile app allows customers 24/7 account access and is supported by Apple, Android and Kindle Fire devices. The text banking provides alerts as well as transfers and account information.

• Advice and planning: The resource center offers extensive information about managing money, retirement, financial planning, taxes, military and work life. This portal also includes financial calculators, free navy financial planning and home buying seminars.

• Security center: The fraud protection portal gives advice regarding credit and debit card fraud, phishing scams, online and mobile security along with ATM security.

• Best for: Military members and their families who need specialized banking services stateside and overseas.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor