3.8/5 (476 ratings)

About Navy Federal Credit Union

Navy Federal Credit Union Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navy Federal Credit Union?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navy Federal Credit Union?

Original review: June 23, 2022

My husband took out a personal Loan. It was immediately approved. Email received in acct. paid a bill. Somewhere after it was removed then given back next day. They tacked on $500 advance and took his savings to bring account back up. Even though they made error they say we are responsible. Never trust when the banker states “Your Money Is In The Acct, you can use now”. We are fighting this.

Original review: June 6, 2022

I would rather bury my money in the back yard. I have reached out by mail, email and phone. All to no avail. They don't seem to be willing to open accounts. They are very good and being rude and condescending and apparently no one wants to do their job. I've tried and tried, I'm done.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 1, 2022

I have financed and paid off vehicles with NFCU so I know the process. So when the lien paperwork arrived in the mail, I filled it out and returned it in the addressed envelope provided. About a month passes and I received another letter. I discarded it because it must've been sent in error. Some time passes and I receive another. I decided to just go ahead and fill it out and send it back. Some more time passes I get a notification tag on my door from UPS. I had no idea what it was because I was not expecting anything. Apparently, this UPS package was "signature required" and they kept trying to deliver it within the 9am-5pm work day while I was, ummmm, actually at work! During this time, I noticed my payment had been increased. And after speaking to several representatives, I found out the package was from NFCU. They were trying to send me the title. All they could say was that it should not be "signature required" but it was!!

What?!!! Ultimately, the title got sent back because I was never home when they tried to deliver it. The rep then told me, my payment would remain increased until they received notice that the title was signed over. They insisted that they didn't receive the signed paperwork that I had sent to them TWICE! I was then presented with the option to wait until they resent the title back to me. Meanwhile, I'd be paying more for my payment. I requested to speak with a manager because this was bogus! I had to wait for a call back, which took a day or 2. After speaking with him, I was presented with 2 options....wait for them to send it back to me and process through DMV myself or bring it to the branch and they would process it but would take longer.

I am the veteran and a very busy single sports mom...I didn't have time to take off work to walk this through DMV or keep paying the increased auto payment. And in regards to the payment, all they kept saying was, "You MAY get reimbursed for the overage after they receive the paperwork but that determination would be made in a different department."

In the midst of all of this, I received another set of paperwork in the mail for the lienholder. I signed it and sent it back in the self-addressed envelope again. I wanted to sent it with tracking but I had missed the PO that Sat and I did not want to wait so I dropped it inside the PO slot. After a little over a week, I called NFCU again. They stated that they had not received it. The lady asked the address I had sent it to. I told her it was the envelope that came with it...a Florida address. Then, I remembered, I had taken a picture of it at the PO. I told her the address and she told me that that was not the correct address...that address was to a branch. THIS WAS THE SELF-ADDRESSED ENVELOPE THAT CAME WITH THE LETTER! What kind of game is this?!!! She then said that I should go into the branch and sign the papers and let them send it.

I was shocked...this was an option over these last 2 months??!!!! Why didn't any of the other reps/managers tell me this from the beginning!!! That Sat morning, I went into the branch and did just that...EASY! Meanwhile, I'm paying the inflated payment and it's not likely I'll get my money back! About 4 more weeks have passed and I called because my payment hasn't changed and I haven't heard anything. I called today and while they did receive the paperwork, it's still being processed so I won't see my regular payment reinstated until it's complete.

I asked the rep about receiving my funds back. She told me that I would NOT be receiving anything back because "it's been an ongoing process to receive the paperwork". Are you freaking kidding me! I asked her, "Have you looked at ALL the notes and how long I've been talking to you guys to get this straight?!!!" Yes it's been an ongoing process with YOU guys, not me!!! I'm not done because this is absolutely ridiculous!!!! It's been almost 20 yrs and I've managed to have a semi-decent relationship with NFCU. I've heard negative stories but was happy to not be a part of one. Well, I guess it was my turn. They have been very unhelpful and up until the rep before this last one...No one cared!

Original review: May 24, 2022

If I could give zero stars, I would. Please go elsewhere for your mortgage needs!!! The mortgage department is a waste of resources. They will waste your time and money. Do not expect communication, professionalism, accountability, customer service or knowledgeable employees if you do attempt to apply for a mortgage.

Original review: May 24, 2022

The mortgage dept. is incompetent and after you lose $$$$ from paying bills that they tell you to pay.. they will wait a week before you are scheduled to close to tell you they made a mistake and you’re not really approved.. They will not take responsibility at all.. I will tell all my clients and colleagues to be aware of Navy Federal CU .... Save yourself time, money and pain .. Get your mortgage loan someone else!!

Original review: May 13, 2022

I have never appreciated Navy Federal more in my life. They just saved me $500 because they spotted a scam and placed my account on hold. Forcing me to call in, the representative pointed out all the red flags to the person I was sending money. This is who I want protecting my money!

Original review: May 13, 2022

The mortgage officer I had was new and inexperienced. 1st time buyer and it was the worst experience ever. Laughed at. Told to shop elsewhere. And loan officer was in vacation mode instead of focusing on my closing. Unfortunate because I loved this bank I have had a membership for 10 years. Now I don't really trust them. Was told to amend taxes then denied for amended taxes and told different reason for denial. Games played and I was lied to also.

Original review: May 10, 2022

My husband passed of Service connected ALS in 2020. They are no help to widows.. I couldn't even get a credit card.. They are very stringent with wives and widows and I feel very untrusted.. I am moving my savings out of here and just keep a small amount of money. They will say no to everything. I own my home. My car.. Very little debt but it doesn't matter if you are a widow or spouse. Don't ask for anything. It will be NO. My husband gave his life. A 25 year veteran..

Original review: May 9, 2022

Poor customer service....inaccurate charges, and terrible money management. I wouldn't recommend it. I don't feel like a valued customer. There's always something. I've gotten my family members to open accounts and now regret it.

Original review: April 29, 2022

NFCU has been an excellent bank, except for their Bill Pay service, which I would avoid. Bill Pay is managed by an outside for-profit company which services many other organizations and is very difficult to work with. Questions about missing checks, which they show as "paid" but which never arrived, have taken hours on hold with no documentation forthcoming. Bill Pay appears to be a quagmire that Navy Federal cannot penetrate.

Navy Federal Credit Union author review by Barbara Friedberg

Navy Federal Credit Union was founded in 1933 with seven members and has grown to have 5 million today. Members must be affiliated with the Department of Defense, Coast Guard, National Guard or U.S. Armed Forces. Immediate family members of the Navy Federal Credit Union can also join.

• Products and services: Navy Federal Credit Union offers a complete suite of checking, savings, credit cards and loan products. They also provide online and mobile banking.

• Credit cards: The credit union has credit, debit, prepaid, specialty prepaid and gift cards.

• Membership benefits: There are a variety of promotions and benefits for Navy Federal Credit Union members including low loan rates, loan and insurance discounts, discount partner offers and more.

• Saving benefits: To support saving and financial security, the credit union offers a special high interest rate certificate of deposit.

• Mobile and text banking: The mobile app allows customers 24/7 account access and is supported by Apple, Android and Kindle Fire devices. The text banking provides alerts as well as transfers and account information.

• Advice and planning: The resource center offers extensive information about managing money, retirement, financial planning, taxes, military and work life. This portal also includes financial calculators, free navy financial planning and home buying seminars.

• Security center: The fraud protection portal gives advice regarding credit and debit card fraud, phishing scams, online and mobile security along with ATM security.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Advisor