3.50/5

471 Navy Federal Credit Union Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 16, 2019

In May 2019, after reviewing rates, I decided to apply for a VA mortgage with Navy Federal Credit Union. I submitted everything that was required per information on their website and I received pre-approval in a very short period of time. My loan officer was Ms. ** and she was phenomenal, she contacted me a couple of times to verify some information, and once she had everything in order, passed my information to the loan processor, Mr. **. He immediately contacted me and explained where I was in the process (awaiting VA appraisal and titling). He also told me that Ms. ** had done an outstanding job of preparing my loan packet and he was sending it for the first review.

Once the VA appraisal was completed, he notified me, verified a a couple of more things, and informed me that my loan packet was going for final review. This is where things slowed down considerably. I was about a week from my scheduled closing date (15 July 2019) and still had not received final approval. The Thursday before closing, Mr. ** sent me an email at 3:15pm informing me that the reviewer had began working on my packet.

At 3:37pm I received another email from Mr. ** congratulating me on being approved. Mr. ** called me and apologized for the delay and explained that they were a little backed up because so many people were applying for mortgage loans due to the low interest rates. I completely understood. I read a lot of negative reviews about the NFCU mortgage process but I can honestly say that Ms. ** and Mr. ** kept me informed every step of the way and made this a very smooth process for me. I highly recommend NFCU!!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I am saddened to see that they only have 1 and a half stars on here as of writing this. I have been a NFCU member for 4 years, and I have never had any problems with them. A local credit union, Vystar, has given me so many more problems, mainly with their website and lack of knowledge on the call center portion. I used to love them. But Navy Federal has my heart now. Like I said, I've been with them for 4 years. I have multiple savings accounts, checking accounts, business accounts, a credit card, and will soon be buying a home through them. I cannot recommend them enough. They have always been there when I needed them, are upfront about everything, and provide exceptional customer service.

Coming from a woman who expects nothing but the best out of the companies that I give my money to, they meet, if not exceed, my expectations. They are exactly how banks and credit unions should be, and to be honest, how other companies should act. Professional, knowledgable, and courteous. I have never gotten the runaround from any representative, they are all on top of everything, and if they were in trouble financially as a credit union, they are someone I would invest in. Also, note the fact they have never had to have a government bailout unlike SOME banks which I shall never do business with. Absolutely nothing bad to say about Navy Federal. Will DEFINITELY be with them for life.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I've been a member with NFCU since 1979 and NEVER had any issues with any of their products. Maybe I fortunate. Did a lot of business with them while I was on active duty (1988-2011) being stationed all over the world and they've always been there when I needed a loan, credit cards, or help me set up bill-pay. That's more than I can say for my other financial institution (USAA-with them since 1986 and closed everything in late 2017). The returns (interest rates, promos, etc.) on their products are much better than most banks.

I've always stayed on top of my finances and saved for emergencies in case I didn't have a paycheck. I also didn't use my credit card or checking if the money wasn't there to pay off a bill. It doesn't work for everyone, but it's interesting how many people want their banks to give them money with little to no collateral. NFCU (like many institutions) has so many notification tools to keep you updated on the status of your accounts. I guess it's no surprise when certain media outlet report that on average 40% of adults don't have enough savings to cover a $400 emergency. If your expectation is for this credit union to give you money for nothing (no interest or collateral)--then you might want to consider looking elsewhere. If you're on top all your finances and are looking for competitive rates, offers/promos, good phone app/security features--then you won't be disappointed.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

So I decided to go with Navy Federal Credit Union for my VA Home Loan because they were offering a great mortgage rate (beating my old standby USAA by about 0.5%). After getting approved I decided to look at some of the online reviews for NFCU. Much to my dismay, the reviews posted online (this website in particular) were overwhelmingly negative. This caused me to look at other lenders, however, NFCU had the best rate I could find. So I decided to roll the dice and stick with them.

To my pleasant surprise, they not only came through with the funding but were able to close the loan within three weeks. The closing went smoothly and was completed in about 90 minutes. I will offer a couple of my insights to those considering NFCU: Their response time can tend to be slower than a local bank. I made sure I called and emailed early in the day so as to get a response by late afternoon from them. I got the sense that my loan officer was extremely busy and handling a high volume of loans. There were a couple times I called and she didn't recognize my name (even though I was in contact frequently via phone or email). I also felt a bit rushed when on the phone with her. That being said, she was very knowledgeable and always answered my questions. I would suggest email as a primary way to interact with your loan team.

I live in a state where they do not have a physical branch. Therefore, I had to ensure I downloaded, signed, and then uploaded all their online documents. After that, I ensured I faxed them too (just to be sure). If you're someone who needs lots of guidance, then this is probably not the best lender for you. Personal diligence is imperative. They accept anyone from any of the military branches (not just Navy). That being said, you have to become a member of their credit union. This was pretty simple. For example: Open up an acct for $25 and you're good to go. They'll then review your credit and determine if you meet the specifications for your requested amount.

Overall, based on my experience, I'd recommend NFCU to any service member (former or current) who is looking for an excellent interest rate and isn't intimidated by having to be a little more independent in terms of having to get the paperwork completed. I can see why some get frustrated, but for myself, NFCU was a very good fit. I hope this was helpful. Best of luck.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Just wanted to my compliments to your staff at the Marron St, Carlsbad location. Your representative Ms. ** was a joy to interact with. While my business was pedestrian in nature, she treated me with great verve and professional talent. My experience was both uplifting and rewarding. I only wish other social businesses would observe such performance. I understand this little bit of, pay it forward, fluff doesn't always show up on the big radar of corporate. Nevertheless... I just wanted to testify. Kudos, to your personnel and again to Ms. **... she is very deserving of high praise. Thanks.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navy Federal Credit Union?

Original review: July 16, 2019

I went to this branch because it is close to my work and should be convenient. My transmission blew so I took money out of my fidelity account to cover it and some other bills I had. They sent a check and on 7/10 I went into the branch to deposit it thinking as a customer in good standings it shouldn’t be an issue. I was not informed until after the deposit that it was placed on a 5 day business hold and as I was told there is nothing they can do about it. I called the bank numerous times over the next 3 days because I have never had this happen before and was told it wasn’t mandatory, the branch manager could release it and if I had used the ATM it would have been on hold for only 2-days. I ended up having to rent a vehicle and pay storage fees while my FIXED truck sat at the repair shop while I waited for this to clear.

On 7/15 I went to the branch to speak to the branch manager as this was an inconvenience and it is MY MONEY. The assistant manager was the only one in and too busy to speak to me so I ended up with someone else who didn’t have the authority to release anything. I asked them to release the check which they would not and I had to BEG them to release at least enough of my money to get my truck out. After keeping me waiting almost half an hour they released just enough for me to get my truck.

That same night 7/15 at 10 pm while I was out in town and my bank account switched to saying I was overdrawn by $-4300. I was stuck with no access to my money and no way of ordering a ride home. I had to call and wake up a friend to come pick me up. I talked with a rep and they said there were no notes put on my account saying I was authorized the release. I had to explain to them that if a limit on a card is $3000 I would have had to have called and spoken with someone to have it upped for the transaction. This person did not help at all and my account is still stuck overdrawn on 7/16. I now have to wait until the bank is open to go in and deal with this AGAIN. After this is done I will never visit that branch again as they are not about customer service at all.

Original review: July 16, 2019

Would like to say this without a doubt is the best bank I have ever dealt with. Never had a issue cashing a check, unlike with some banks that charge fees. Always friendly and helpful employees. Now that I bank with them the whole banking experience is even better. NFCU tries really hard to make your banking experience easy as can be.

Original review: July 11, 2019

So, I was getting things talked out with a security on phone. Can I say...they need to stop being rude and start being a little nicer. Oh!! AND a bank teller lady can use a smile too. Get more people who is nicer and not a you know what! Thanks!

Original review: July 10, 2019

I have had great experiences with Navy Federal in the past. I have been a long time customer of about 13 years and usually it's my first choice for loans. However customer service in many departments and rates have been suffering quite a bit recently. I was in the process or purchasing my next home (4th home purchase in 7 years, so I am not new to the experience). I sat down with an agent to submit my mortgage application without shopping around as I have had great rates in the past. With an 800 credit score I was approved for a loan at 4.8% interest for a conventional loan no money down. I thought great, I didn't even bother to shop around. I get an approved offer in on a house and submit all my documents required for loan approval etc (income, W-2's, rental income, asset statements, etc) all within 24 hours.

It took them 72 hours to contact me about my documents (supposed to be a 24 hour turn around). They ask for more documents. I submit them very timely (within 24 hours again). I am in my contingency window and begin the normal things such as ordering a home inspection and having contractors come out to do estimates for repairs to negotiate my price down further. I also put an earnest check down of 2300 that's required. I try contacting them on Monday morning to start ordering the appraisal to get the ball rolling and ensuring there will not be any contingency issues that will not fund the loan. I don't get a call back till Friday (96 hour turn around) and finally get the appraisal ordered.

It took 20 days for the appraisal to come back and the underwriting department to review it. I submit multiple counter offer changes and amendments (change in price, seller closing costs, among other amendments) with minimal contact from the loan officer, they never sent me new loan estimates with increased seller contributions or reduced price on the home. I ask multiple times about point buy downs spreadsheet to lower my interest rate and it took a week to get that. Finally all said in done I'm in the home stretch and I'm 7 days to close. I had to submit a new closing date as I would not be in the area to sign documents but have not sent that to Navy Federal quite yet as I am waiting for the sellers to sign it.

I get a call from Navy Federal 7 days before my initial close date that they have contingencies?!?! This is well outside the contingency window time frame. They need the leaks in the basement to be repaired that are not listed in the appraisal, the appraisal says there is minor standing water with no structural issues. So now I'm supposed to contact my realtor and tell them this, this is potentially going to cost thousands of dollars to seal a few minor cracks and then get another dampness certificate to get this to fund.

At this point the seller has the option to walk away with my 2300 earnest money and just say "no". My family was moving back in country from Japan and I was about to be homeless. I managed to find another lender that offered me a 4.0% interest rate with 5% down and willing to fund within 10 days of my closing date with no contingencies as standing water in basements is common in the state I am purchasing a home.

I send a very detailed letter about my frustrations to my loan officer, her assistant, and her boss hoping to rectify this and help me out, I never received a response. They lost 200k in interest payments and didn't even bother to contact me back apologizing for anything. I have shopped around for rates for my next vehicle loan and found other lenders to be much lower. At this point I am only keeping my checking account, CD's and credit card (due to 13 year credit history account on the cc) with Navy Federal and will be taking all of my business elsewhere. Very sub par customer service and communication for a 200+ k loan. I will never be using them again for lending needs.

Original review: July 6, 2019

I have been a member of NFCU since 1974. In the last year the website has been down more than in the previous 40 years. Lack of sound management practices leaves us members trying to visit our accounts in a quandary. How can this happen in today's world? We are flying faster than the plane we are riding. Right now, 6 JUL 2019 at 0933 hrs MST, the website is down again. Tried the backup site, and it denies access also. Anyone that understands this knows the system, outside of the web, is robust and running fine. Call them, and they have access to everything, while you don't.

The IT department, which I presume the web manager is under that umbrella, should have a reorg to find the simple ways other financial institutions use to keep their websites up and available. They should quit advertising on most sporting TV events and invest our money in sound backup and management practices. Already the world’s largest Credit union, what more do you want at the expense of members you already have?

Navy Federal Credit Union expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Navy Federal Credit Union was founded in 1933 with seven members and has grown to have 5 million today. Members must be affiliated with the Department of Defense, Coast Guard, National Guard or U.S. Armed Forces. Immediate family members of the Navy Federal Credit Union can also join.

• Products and services: Navy Federal Credit Union offers a complete suite of checking, savings, credit cards and loan products. They also provide online and mobile banking.

• Credit cards: The credit union has credit, debit, prepaid, specialty prepaid and gift cards.

• Membership benefits: There are a variety of promotions and benefits for Navy Federal Credit Union members including low loan rates, loan and insurance discounts, discount partner offers and more.

• Saving benefits: To support saving and financial security, the credit union offers a special high interest rate certificate of deposit.

• Mobile and text banking: The mobile app allows customers 24/7 account access and is supported by Apple, Android and Kindle Fire devices. The text banking provides alerts as well as transfers and account information.

• Advice and planning: The resource center offers extensive information about managing money, retirement, financial planning, taxes, military and work life. This portal also includes financial calculators, free navy financial planning and home buying seminars.

• Security center: The fraud protection portal gives advice regarding credit and debit card fraud, phishing scams, online and mobile security along with ATM security.

• Best for: Military members and their families who need specialized banking services stateside and overseas.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg