3.23/5

445 Navy Federal Credit Union Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 17, 2019

Extremely disappointed with how they treated their member who was unhappy. I never have to call for customer service but in this rare occasion I called and Jessica completely dropped the ball on this one and just based on that experience I will be closing my account with Navy Federal.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I finally found the guts to write a review on any company, but this was beyond kicking a dog when it's down experience. Don't get me wrong that my experience with NFCU was exceptional up until I've been a target for an unrecognized amount taken out of my checking on the same day a mandatory bill was due. Many unpleasant events happens beyond our control. But I will speak based on my experience of working and dealing with other banks myself.

NFCU however, did grant me credit to proceed with this bill and sent me a letter when it will be credited out of my account when recipient is tracked and my account is recovered. I realized that my account was in the negative and asked several times to make a full payment at the branch 10 days after the date because I have major utilities and auto drafts around that date. The bank credit the amount leaving a LARGER negative balance, and my direct deposit on payday still did not cover the balance leaving me without food, gas or my bill paid. I am not granted overdraft protection with the bank and they were aware of this but encouraged me to call the department who also could not help me.

NFCU sent me the following message: "Navy Federal Response 04/09/2019: Unfortunately the reversal of funds for a Merchant Credit is not available for a payment plan. The funds have been reversed as of 4/9/19. We now consider this matter closed." I mean, the only reason why I requested this was NOT because I did not want to pay, but because of the bills I had lined up to be paid around the time. As of this moment, I have mixed feelings about continuing business with this Bank.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 8, 2019

I wanted to know if a lien against my home would disqualify for a 10.1 ARM. The home is worth 1000000 (one million) recent appraisal. The loan is 350,000 and the lien is 150000. They said no problem... Then they did a 180 and said we don't know. It's a rule isnt it? Why is it so hard to decipher their own rules?

Original review: April 4, 2019

I have been with Navy Federal for over two years. I opened a checking and saving account. I went to this bank because my daughter served in army. I had another bank I figure I give this bank a try. Well why did I do that I get paid every week. So on this past week which was 4/4/2019 I goes to check my account and it stated I was overdrawn by 100.00 so I called the representative that suppose to supervisor. He answered the phone very nasty and ignorant. As of 04/04/19 I will not let any of my money go into this account.

The guy was not trying to help me at all neither did he explain to me why my account overdrawn. I told him to close my account he told me I can’t close my account because I have credit card. I told him that bull **. Do not use this bank NFCU. LIES LIES LIES. RUN. It's best to keep your money at home in a secure place. All banks are full of excuses. They don't try help you do much anyway and charge you 1.00 for every time you swipe. RUN. RUN. RUN.

Original review: April 1, 2019

I have been a member with Navy Federal since 1999. It is now 2019. From February to March I've made nearly $9,000 in transactions. Normally there wouldn't be a glitch in any way, especially with Navy Federal. As of recent Navy Federal has been losing my money as well as incorrectly transcribing deposits. I'm not upset about the money aspect, but I'm very hurt that I can no longer trust Navy Federal with my money, which is =, to my time, = my life. I miss the old you Navy Federal and I'm an idiot for trusting any organization. If you value the money you earned I'd recommend staying away from Navy Federal.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navy Federal Credit Union?

Original review: March 28, 2019

The overall handling of the application process fail to meet my high standards. The appraisal was a racist. Entered my home, would not except upgrades nor would he look at blueprints of the home. Comparable so we're not nowhere in the same built as my home. He conducted a shady job just to get paid.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I have been a member for about 13years. I had good experiences when I first joined but it has gone way downhill. I filed a dispute for products that I paid for and never received. In November. In December I was given a credit for $600, which is the amount I was disputing. I sent messages with documents and details... never got a response. I called almost daily to get an update and no one ever knew. I was transferred in circles and had to explain everything over and over again. I went into a beach to try to figure out something and was told oh yeah that sounds like fraud so call the fraud department, we can't help you. Then I randomly get a letter in the mail saying my case was closed... out of nowhere!

I was never given the chance to find out what was going on. I called as soon as I got the letter and was told, "Yeah too bad". I asked for a supervisor and they said nothing they can do and were extremely rude. I sent a message asking for an appeal and I called to speak to another supervisor who was helpful and said my appeal would be sent up as urgent. I get a call from a dispute person who was so rude to me. He called me a liar about speaking with the supervisor and that my case is closed and they are done dealing with it. I stared. I wanted a chance to appeal the case. He said no. I said I would like to speak to someone else. He said no. I said wanted a supervisor. He said no. I asked for corporate information. He said no. He refused to let me speak and constantly talked over me and was the most rude person I have ever encountered.

I feel my rights were being denied which has been the same every time I call. I hung up and called Navy Federal directly to find out how to report them and no one could do anything except get me to another supervisor that did nothing. So in February the original credit I was given was taken back... okay fine. In March they charged me again for the original purchase for another $600! This how left my credit card at $1200. I spoke to a lady in disputes, fraud, and credit cards and finally they said it was an issue on their end because the amount I was disputing was different from the original amount. They said a dispute would be filed (another one). Two weeks go by. Nothing. I call again and nothing has changed no notes no credits, it was like I never spoke to anyone.

This time a woman helped her whole shift to figure it out and she called me back stating the $600 would be credited back to me within 24/48 hours. Well 6 days later still nothing. I call again and was told the same thing that there is no notes regarding any credits owed or any disputes regarding this. I asked for a supervisor. The supervisor said to call during normal business hours. I asked to speak to someone else she said no. I ask to speak to a different supervisor. She said she will give me his voicemail but he probably won't call back. I told her that her tone was condescending and she was being rude. She said she wasn't.

I explained how I have been run around with no solution. She continued to be rude. I told her she should be more respectful of customers. She said ok. I told her to send a message to the original woman I spoke to. She said she would send it to the department but not the person. I asked for her information so I could report her along with the others and she said her name. Then in a childish and ridiculously rude tone said, "Would you like me to spell it for you". I told her, "No. I am capable of spelling. I do have a masters degree".

So here I am almost 6 months later with a $1200 debt and ridiculous frustrations. I have asked for the corporate information countless times and I was told no they can't give it out. When I ask to speak to someone higher than a supervisor they tell me there is no one higher. I have been denied being transferred as well as when I ask for their information they only provide their first name that's it. So to even write a letter to cooperate I have no idea identifying information about their rude employees. I did locate the cooperate mailing address but no phone numbers.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I make my 400 CC payment just to turn around to see another $100 added back on top of the payment I just made. It's like I'm not even making a payment at all and getting $100 added on to my balance every month!!! RUN RUN RUNNN!!! NEVER AGAIN!!!

Original review: March 23, 2019

I have been a member of NFCU for many years. When I first joined, they had an amazing team. I don't know if someone new has taken over or what, but their customer service skills and overall caring has gone down the toilet. I have two loans with them: one for my vehicle and one for dental work. Due to financial hardships, I have fallen behind in paying them, but I have been slowly pulling out of the hole. Unfortunately, they do not seem to care about all this and have pulled any and all deposits I get in the last month to apply towards the loans. I completely understand they need to be paid, and I'm not objecting to that. What I AM objecting to is as follows.

Earlier this month (March 8), I was paid $538. NFCU IMMEDIATELY took $414 of that, leaving me with nothing. Bear in mind, I have bills like electricity, water, phone, and insurance to pay still. Fine. I didn't make a fuss, because it brought my accounts to only 17 days delinquent. I had to have a friend transfer $60 to me so I could survive. I just held on for dear life until my next check. Fast forward to yesterday (March 22) when I got paid $468. They again pulled $414, leaving me worse off than before. I still haven't paid my bills, and I face eviction because of it. When I called them to request they reverse the transfer, I got some snotty guy (I think Tristan was his name) who told me that my loans were over 30 days delinquent. No they weren't. They were 17 days. So he lied to me to justify stealing my money. I would have even been willing to let them keep $200 to put towards the loans, but they weren't willing to work with me.

So I now have nothing, I may be homeless because of it, and NFCU doesn't care one bit. Thanks for spitting in the faces of veterans like me. People wonder why so many of us go crazy and commit suicide. Here's one of the reasons. Unfortunately for you all, I am dating an attorney, so you'd better believe I will be getting some legal advice. If I am able to, I will be suing NFCU. At the very least, I will be closing my accounts with them. The only money they will ever get of mine again is to pay the loans. That's it. Oh, and I will also be telling my story to everyone who will listen. This includes any news outlet looking for a story (and you know they're ALWAYS looking for the next big piece). Due to my military service, I've also got contacts in Congress, so I think they should know what NFCU is doing to its members as well.

Original review: March 23, 2019

Everyone grab your popcorn, candy, and drinks. This is about to get juicy! I have been a customer with Navy Federal for several years and I will say they were nice in the beginning. I don't keep a balance on my cards and keep my utilization under %10 so when I requested a credit limit increase I was declined. I called to see why they decline me and they gave me the runaround and were rude. Anyway I am not using any of my cards with them only once or twice a year so it looks good on my credit report.

I live in a big city where I use cards for going out and Navy Federal credit cards were one of them. They made plenty of money off the merchants. When I swiped my card Navy Federal moves to the bottom of my list for favorite credit cards so hey you guys! If there happens to be a credit card you have and don't like the Bank/Credit union only use cards occasionally to keep them open. Don't use them regularly because banks, credit unions know they make money when we swipe the cards and make hundreds of dollars from our favorite restaurants, stores, etc. Now that the cat's out of the bag happy shopping you guys!

Navy Federal Credit Union expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Navy Federal Credit Union was founded in 1933 with seven members and has grown to have 5 million today. Members must be affiliated with the Department of Defense, Coast Guard, National Guard or U.S. Armed Forces. Immediate family members of the Navy Federal Credit Union can also join.

• Products and services: Navy Federal Credit Union offers a complete suite of checking, savings, credit cards and loan products. They also provide online and mobile banking.

• Credit cards: The credit union has credit, debit, prepaid, specialty prepaid and gift cards.

• Membership benefits: There are a variety of promotions and benefits for Navy Federal Credit Union members including low loan rates, loan and insurance discounts, discount partner offers and more.

• Saving benefits: To support saving and financial security, the credit union offers a special high interest rate certificate of deposit.

• Mobile and text banking: The mobile app allows customers 24/7 account access and is supported by Apple, Android and Kindle Fire devices. The text banking provides alerts as well as transfers and account information.

• Advice and planning: The resource center offers extensive information about managing money, retirement, financial planning, taxes, military and work life. This portal also includes financial calculators, free navy financial planning and home buying seminars.

• Security center: The fraud protection portal gives advice regarding credit and debit card fraud, phishing scams, online and mobile security along with ATM security.

• Best for: Military members and their families who need specialized banking services stateside and overseas.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg