Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.80/5

Navy Federal Credit Union Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navy Federal Credit Union?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navy Federal Credit Union?

Original review: April 19, 2020

First off, I see a lot of bad reviews for the mortgage process with NFCU. I also see some good reviews. I wanted to offer my experience that I went through before I completed my refinance on my home. It’s was not all good, but not all bad either, but in the long run I was happy and satisfied with what I received, which is why I gave a 5 star rating.

I have been a USAA customer for years and still use USAA as my main bank for checking. When I started to look into refinancing my house early last year (2019) I shopped around for the best deal I could find. Believe it or not that best deal and rate was from NFCU at the time. In order to apply I had to open a checking account and become a member, which was pretty easy and I completed only on my smartphone. My application for a home loan refinance took about a week to get a response and I was pre approved. I did use the same two programs that other reviews have spoke about to upload documents... very confusing.

My loan processor(s) were very helpful and normally responded to my email within a day. When I tried to call I very really got a returned phone call. My Loan girl changed hands maybe 3-5 times with different loan processors, but each one told me about the number of mortgages applications they had because of the lower rates so I completely understood. I think it was July of 2019 when everything was finalized but closing did not take place until the end of October. This was mainly because of the sheer number of applications they were having to process.

The real thing I like about NFCU, is they keep the mortgage themselves. They don’t sell it off to another third party. My first mortgage was with USAA but that sold it right away to GMAC, who went under and sold it to Ocwen, who then converted to PHH mortgage.... very confusing. But NFCU doesn’t do that, they handle the loan themselves. Long story short, if you're looking for a good deal, good I treat rate and you okay with waiting 8-10 months to close then I would recommend going to NFCU!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

I’ve read a lot of these reviews and I’m shocked! My family experience has been great! I constantly get alerts on my phone when a charge is made. My eDeposits are available immediately, customer service is super friendly. Why I stayed? I had (still do USAA for YEARS). 4 years after my bankruptcy they denied me getting a credit card so I can reestablish credit, & denied my loan for a mortgage (1st time buyer). Seems I'm only eligible to buy whatever products they’re selling. I’m only keeping USAA because my direct deposit is available early.

I just knew Navy Fed was going to do the same thing since I’ve only been a member for 2 years. & Surprisingly, after applying for a mortgage loan & credit card, I was approved. The woman on the phone even laughed when I screamed. Even my credit card limit was high (my interest rate is 7.7%) I was shocked and extremely happy. I had my son joined. So far he’s had 3 separate instances of someone putting fraudulent charges on his account. Each time, navy fed alerted him and he got his money back. Maybe the institution varies where you live? Hopefully I never experience anything as awful as the other reviewers.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

First of all, I'll start off by saying ALL Credit Unions I've had are FAR AND AWAY SUPERIOR to ALL BANKS PERIOD. 7 Years ago I already have my accounts with San Diego County Credit Union for YEARS. Love them, very small local only bank, very friendly people, they're great. 3 years ago, NFCU opened a new Branch near me, my brother & Nephews all bank with NFCU & kept after me to open an account, but I didn't see the point, I was happy with SDCCU, why should I open another account with yet another bank? I also have an online only Capital One 360 account for the past 15 years.

So finally they talked me into it, I opened a Personal Bank/Savings account with NFCU only because this made it made money transfers to and from my brothers/Nephews easier. It's been over 3 years now, I have to say I'm very very impressed! NFCU Online access experience is Superior to SDCCU. Then last year they approved a $25.000 Platinum Card @ only 8.24% Rate after 0% interest runs out in 15 months, with only a "GOOD" credit score rating. How can you beat this?

Well, now I just found out from my Nephew they will allow me to apply again for 2 more of these same Platinum cards! (Apparently they allow anyone up to 3 cards total, even if all 3 are Platinum Cards!) SO, they just approved my brother for his 2nd 0% platinum card RIGHT when he needed it MOST, even though his credit is only fair due to high Utilization, which this card is now going to help with TREMENDOUSLY! At this point, Impressed is an understatement! I have absolutely nothing negative to say about NFCU.

One last piece of VERY GOOD advice... Never ever under any circumstances should anyone ever bank or have anything to do with Bank of America or Chase! The two worst banks ever in the history of mankind! Total stupidity to have anything to do with BOA or Chase! And many of you are nodding your head in agreement with this right now, aren't you?

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

As a military veteran, I have to say that I've enjoyed my banking time with both Navy Federal CU (NFCU) and USAA Bank for their online resources specific to a not-so-small segment of the population that is often misunderstood and stereotyped by the general population and by social media. We are also 2x as likely to have data breach incidents and identity theft than civilians, from independent studies. What both NFCU and USAA have provided me are less headaches, stress and anxiety, and stomach ulcers from banks and credit unions that "claim" they wish to honor service-members, retirees, dependents and survivors, and veterans. Most will say the same about emergency services and their sacrifices as well.

Having been a former Wells Fargo, Bank of America, Chase Bank, US Bank NA, and a local credit union customer (San Francisco/Bay Area CA) that needs to remain nameless, and I'm embarrassed to admit that I WAS a member of Capital One online banking services, NFCU and USAA have been there for me as an aging member of the national population plus done their utmost to stay in touch and contact me when I have any concerns or questions as to my bank accounts, credit cards, insurance, etc, etc.

I've had NO sudden overdraft fees or hidden fees/penalty fees due to payments being withheld and taken out of order; I haven't found myself suddenly in negative balances in the minus hundreds with the excuse that "there are insufficient funds available" and "overdraft protection is your friend, relax Mr. **!" Nor did they understand when I suddenly became frozen and emotionless yet still quite visibly angry. In the past, I've had to be escorted off the premises by the police and insulted by a teller, with witnesses present, due to being a former service-member. By phone, text, or online has been no better for me.

Again, the exception being NFCU and USAA who go out of their way to treat me with respect as a person and for being a veteran. I've had nine (9), data breaches and identity thefts in 2018-2019 alone, the most recent is a month old, Gmail & Google accounts and NFCU's and USAA's separate efforts of multi-layered security, 2-process identity verification online log on, multi-process phone identity verification, and so on in my personal experience, far surpass the banks/credit union previously mentioned above. I've lost very little sleep knowing they actually value me as a customer. My credit monitoring services all list me as being Exceptional-rating or A-rating when it comes to paying bills, etc., so NFCU and USAA KNOW THIS and it is part of their separate pattern-recognition protocols and have contacted me when I've made a digital or reality purchase and a SNAFU (situation normal, all fouled-up) has occurred. Every time!

Not brag or boast but mere fact backed-up by paperless accounting, online accounts, AND text messaging. These fine folks are also veterans, dependents and/or survivors, retirees, former Department of Defense, former government officials, former emergency services, or have known or know military-related people and emergency-service personnel, and college students so they can actually relate to our perspectives. They definitely understand my goofy sense of humor and my take on personal responsibility, security and safety, and why I'm compelled to honor my word.

They continue to understand and compliment me when I make necessary info changes such as my choice of cancelling all my Google product accounts including Gmail, which took 2 days to delete years of information Google collected on me including everything, yes everything! From the Spam folder collected over the years as part of Google's "privacy protection"; changing emails; password changes; my verification of goods and services over a certain amount; online shopping credentials; online veteran services credentials; I could go on and on with praises but I think I've said more than enough about NFCU and USAA except to say, that for them, it's just another regular day at the office providing help and assistance. With deepest gratitude and warmth, they have earned my thanks many times over.

Original review: July 16, 2019

In May 2019, after reviewing rates, I decided to apply for a VA mortgage with Navy Federal Credit Union. I submitted everything that was required per information on their website and I received pre-approval in a very short period of time. My loan officer was Ms. ** and she was phenomenal, she contacted me a couple of times to verify some information, and once she had everything in order, passed my information to the loan processor, Mr. **. He immediately contacted me and explained where I was in the process (awaiting VA appraisal and titling). He also told me that Ms. ** had done an outstanding job of preparing my loan packet and he was sending it for the first review.

Once the VA appraisal was completed, he notified me, verified a a couple of more things, and informed me that my loan packet was going for final review. This is where things slowed down considerably. I was about a week from my scheduled closing date (15 July 2019) and still had not received final approval. The Thursday before closing, Mr. ** sent me an email at 3:15pm informing me that the reviewer had began working on my packet.

At 3:37pm I received another email from Mr. ** congratulating me on being approved. Mr. ** called me and apologized for the delay and explained that they were a little backed up because so many people were applying for mortgage loans due to the low interest rates. I completely understood. I read a lot of negative reviews about the NFCU mortgage process but I can honestly say that Ms. ** and Mr. ** kept me informed every step of the way and made this a very smooth process for me. I highly recommend NFCU!!

Original review: July 10, 2020

I sold my house and purchased a new home in April during this pandemic. My previous mortgage company was SunTrust and I decided to go with Navy Federal. I was little put off by all the reviews but it was a great experience and better than my previous one. Everything was done online, but I still had a great contact and follow up with the Navy Federal Team. Everyone followed up timely, provided great explanations, and guided me through the process. Even the underwriting team was wonderful which is not a typical experience. I cannot recommend them enough. The portal for loading and receiving documents is easy to understand and very detailed. The support was great and I even had follow up calls after hours. Definitely A+ effortless experience.

Original review: June 19, 2020

This company said they sent a check as I refinanced with them as a veteran, but now the other company didnt receive the check from them.... And I made payments but they submitted my account as late when they made the mistake.. 1 star.. And will never recommend to anyone since they are not taking responsibility...

Original review: May 30, 2020

We have 5 accounts with NFCU, personal, business, credit etc.. Went in to my local branch yesterday *Bel Air* after being shut in for 12 weeks, so it was a necessity, we are running a business... Long story short.. the door was locked, they didn't want us to come in, they let 1 person at a time.. I was asked what I wanted, and The response I got was "use the atm"! "Excuse me, no.. I need to come inside".. If you are this strict, how about state that on your website??? After all, even the grocery store lets 10 people in and have smiling faces, this lady acted like everyone is getting on her nerves.. It's our MONEY??? Last time I checked??!!

Original review: May 27, 2020

Do not go to NFCU for mortgage loans!!! They advertise rate match but no one goes out of their way to get the rate matched! They use all sorts of excuses to explain why they failed as if they don't want your business. Go to Prosperity Mortgage instead, you will be glad you did!!!

Original review: May 22, 2020

Highest rates, horrible customer service. As soon as I can get away from this company, I am taking my business elsewhere. I'm active duty, almost 14 years, never dealt with a "military friendly" company like this one. DO NOT USE NFCU. Go to your local CU. These guys are not pro-military.

Navy Federal Credit Union author review by Barbara Friedberg

Navy Federal Credit Union was founded in 1933 with seven members and has grown to have 5 million today. Members must be affiliated with the Department of Defense, Coast Guard, National Guard or U.S. Armed Forces. Immediate family members of the Navy Federal Credit Union can also join.

• Products and services: Navy Federal Credit Union offers a complete suite of checking, savings, credit cards and loan products. They also provide online and mobile banking.

• Credit cards: The credit union has credit, debit, prepaid, specialty prepaid and gift cards.

• Membership benefits: There are a variety of promotions and benefits for Navy Federal Credit Union members including low loan rates, loan and insurance discounts, discount partner offers and more.

• Saving benefits: To support saving and financial security, the credit union offers a special high interest rate certificate of deposit.

• Mobile and text banking: The mobile app allows customers 24/7 account access and is supported by Apple, Android and Kindle Fire devices. The text banking provides alerts as well as transfers and account information.

• Advice and planning: The resource center offers extensive information about managing money, retirement, financial planning, taxes, military and work life. This portal also includes financial calculators, free navy financial planning and home buying seminars.

• Security center: The fraud protection portal gives advice regarding credit and debit card fraud, phishing scams, online and mobile security along with ATM security.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor