1.55/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 7, 2017

339 Navy Federal Credit Union Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

Navy Federal is a joke. Do NOT buy gift cards from there - they will steal your money in a service fee of $5 per month if you do not use card. They stole $40 from my son. Card had expiration date of 1/21 and he didn’t get to use any of his cards - he was saving up and Navy Federal took all his money.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Navy Federal scammed me out my money. Sent my loan to collections as charged off, so when I deposited my daughter college refund check they took all her money. I don't care who you have debt with and who you owe. Nobody should be able to watch your account waiting for a deposit just to snatch your money to clear a debt. People fall short all the time, I have learned that Navy Federal got sued last year about how they wrongfully go about collecting money to clear loans that their customers fall short to pay. I hope they get sued again, but I will be taking legal action hiring me a lawyer. They don't care about families. All they care about is meeting their quotas to get a debt paid. They have lost my business and my daughter will not be banking with them anymore either.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

Teller: **, refuse to serve me even though I was a joint owner on the account. She did not give me a receipt and continued to argue with me about having a debit card, that has my spouse name on it. They have too many revolving rules. One day I go up there and use my ID and her account number never questioned about. She decided to take her time using the information I gave her and I sat there for 15 minutes. Navy Federal really needs to educate the staff and make it known what can and cannot be used when making a deposit. These bad experiences happen at least every 6 months or so with them!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

The Navy Federal Credit Union - NFCU allowed a third party entity to garnish over $65,000 in retroactive pay from the Veterans Disability Compensation department. This amount was awarded to me due to physical and mental injuries I've incurred from military service. The NFCU violated the Veterans Disability Protection Act of 2010, violates Title 38, Section 5301(a)(1) and violates 31 CFR 212.6. I've reported the institution to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, the Better Business Bureau and I initiated a Congressional Inquiry via the Honorable David Valadao of Hanford, California. To this day, the NFCU has failed to provide a formal response.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

Trying to get some money transferred from a savings account to the charged off debit card so I can that crap off my credit so I can get a mortgage. Mind you I haven't used this bank since I switch to USAA in 2010 for checking. I've had a credit card through them and had to finish paying off my car loan. Both ended in 2014. Had a really bad financial situation and paying the credit card wasn't important as Oh say paying rent, my car, or my utilities so I waited. Now I can but they're making it super hard to get anything done.

I've moved like 5 times since the charge off. I give them all my info; name, social, birthday blah, and forgot the last known address on file. They refuse to tell me even though it's MY personal information. And they expect me to trust them with my other private info like what I gave them to verify it's me!!! Hypocrisy to say the least. Then I transferred around and around when all I want to do is pay off the stupid charge off account. I get mad of course. All the crap they did to my account in 2008-2010, I just want to be rid of them forever.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navy Federal Credit Union?

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Nothing I have ever, ever done with this credit union is simple or easy. There is ALWAYS some reason my funds are unavailable or they are taking money for credit cards, they've done credit checks on me without my permission, consistently turn me down for any kind of loan despite my having good credit and have never been late for a single payment on any credit card. Depositing verified CASH into any other ATM results in a FIVE DAY hold that is irreversible. It is the year 2017, with all the other institutions capable of doing things so quickly how is that even possible for it to take five days to make available HARD AMERICAN CURRENCY that is verified by the ATM at the time of the deposit? There is quite literally no benefit to using Navy Federal over any other institution as far as a checking account is concerned.

I've had PayPal transfers be delayed for security reasons on PayPal's end, only to find that now my own bank is placing another hold on the account despite the funds being verified and released by PayPal. Again, NO ONE at NF could or would do anything about it. I've closed my account there in favor a pre-paid Walmart debit card, which stunningly offers more versatility, faster and more reliable customer service, and they're never putting random holds for egregiously long amounts of time on any of my funds! Unless you're well-off in the military and are hoping for some low interest rates on getting a loan for your new Camaro, do not bank with Navy Federal. I'm thoroughly disgusted with this institution. 0/10.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

Took in some coins to deposit, just like I have done at Pentagon Federal, Bank of America, Wells Fargo, Citibank and others over the years, only to have the teller at the Sterling Virginia branch compare the length of each of the 4 rolls to another one right in front of me this time, another time weighed the rolls of coins right in front of me. Literally the ONLY place that has done this right in front of me in DECADES. Guy at the desk said that was Navy Federal POLICY. REALLY STUPID this day and age, spending lots of money on ads and other items for customer acquisition, doing penny ante stuff like this which torpedoes customer retention. I'm a senior IT professional, upper income bracket, dress and act accordingly, too many other places to invest my money to put up with this crap.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

This mortgage department is unable to do simple math. For example, if you have a mortgage that is 1,000 dollars a month and you send them 500 dollars from one bank and 500 from another bank, on the same day, they will "apply both to principal" because alone they do not add up to your payment amount. Your next statement will have two months worth of payments due plus a late fee.

Applying it to principal sounds cool and all, but after paying double mortgage payments some months and always paying a little extra on every payment, my balance has come down 20,000 dollars over 11 years now. Each payment has been 1,300 or more. Like I said, sometimes double. I've sent them roughly 172,000 dollars on a 150k loan. Without the extra money I've sent in. So if they were applying all of that money to principal, I would think it would come down more than 20k.

Refinance for a better rate you say? I've contacted them about such a thing and with all of the fees I'd end up losing all of the ground I made up. Pointless. Their mortgage is so bad I moved out of that house and continue to pay it. I financed with a new company on my second house and after a year, the balance is dropping. No issues with allocating funds correctly and people you can speak to instead of spending 30 minutes trying to get a password or access code.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

Initially I had tried to work with Navy Federal to lower my credit card interest rate from the 19% it's at now but the manager at the branch that I went to told me that they could not help me. After a year I'm still unable to get the rate lowered. Two days ago I went into a different branch to make a payment on my credit card and today I get a notice that I'm delinquent. When I called the number in the e-mail they told me that the branch destroyed my check because they did not accept my identification; I guess my access code and password are not acceptable when making a payment.

To be clear, I was only making a payment, not trying to cash a check or draw funds from an account. And when does a bank destroy a customers payment? I was able to resolve the payment over the phone but will not visit a Navy Federal branch again if possible, they seem to be incompetent and have little regard for the customer. There was a time when their customer service was great, now the customer is irrelevant. I've found a bank that appreciates my business and when this card is paid off I will be free of Navy Federal Credit Union.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

In their description of overdraft protection transactions less than or equaling $5 would not incur the $20.00 "service" fee... What a lying crock! They had a new accounts promotion at the V.A. hospital in Los Angeles… neglecting to inform the vets that the nearest branch was 400+ miles away! I was charged $20 each for $2, $3 etc totaling less than $5 in a 24 hour period. Usury laws have gone the way of habeas corpus, posse comitatus, and our civil rights in general. Corporate America has declared "open season" on the public.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

I was buying a home and the first red flag should have been when the loan officer told me he didn't want to start the process to lock in my rate until after inspection because processing a loan is "a lot of work"... That's your job. Secondly, once we knew the closing date, turns out I was going to be overseas. I called and the loan officer confirmed that my agent could be my power of attorney to approve closing costs and close for me. He even went to a supervisor who concurred it was ok. I get a Power of Attorney and submit it asap.

3 weeks go by and before I go overseas we get the clear to close. So I am overseas and finally get email access and I find out that Navy Fed has a policy (that no one knows about) that anyone with a "conflict of interest" can not be POA; my agent has a financial stake so she is out. I go round and round with them asking for an exception (they even admitted the loan officer and supervisor made a mistake) but they refuse. They suggest I get a friend or family member to be POA. I remind them (because they know this) that I am out of the country and there is no way I can get anything notarized as I am nowhere near an Embassy or Consulate.

I then get a phone call from a supervisor who straight up lies to me saying even if they did give me an exception to this policy no one knows about, the VA doesn't allow it. I inform her that isn't true as I did it before on a previous VA loan. She gets combative with me on the phone and I end up hanging up on her. They are liars and frauds. As soon as I close, once I get back in the country, I will be refinancing. Avoid Navy Federal at all costs.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

Ok so I have been with NFCU for almost a year. When I first open a account through them I applied for a credit card and was turned down 3 times after I sent 3 reconsideration letters via message online. Ok so weeks roll by. When they call to setup my account I told the woman on the phone what happen and she had me apply again and miraculously a few hours later I receive a message saying I was approved for a $1000 credit line.

Next maybe about a month or two later I say I'll try to refinance my car through them. NOPE. They deny me that also! I didn't even bother with a reconsideration letter. I continue to use my card for everything, make payments before the bill is even due paying well over the minimum most months. So this month rolls around. I decide to ask for a credit line increase. Can you guess what? They denied me that too!! Their reason was because of my BANKRUPTCY. The same bankruptcy I had since May of 2014 also the same one that was on there when I got approve for the credit card! I sent a reconsideration letter via message and the response I got was, "Since this message didn't include any change we must stand by our decision." What in the heck? I absolutely hate NFCU. I'm waiting for the day to come for me to pay the card off and never use it again! Definitely don't recommend to anyone!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

I just recently moved to El Paso Texas. Went to a business and they took my cashier’s check and gave me no service. About an hour ago a security officer called me, because I made many attempts to get my stolen money back. The CSR's are extremely rude and lazy. This has been my credit union for twenty years. This place is sinking downhill and seems to have financial issues. The institution seems to be finding ways to rip people off in any way they know how. It is not ethical, to allow a customer to be ignored. Signed Navy Veteran who fought in a war. Thank You Navy Federal Credit Union for making me feel unappreciated. Now that's customer service...

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I called Navy Federal because online it was showing a late payment on my account. The late payment showed that I owed for 2 payments instead of the one that I originally owed. I called customer service and they stated that they show 2 payments down on your account whenever you are just one day late. I told her that it did not give that explanation online. After stating this, the Representative obviously got annoyed with me and stated, "Can I help you with anything else?" I told her that she can get a supervisor due to her being very short with me. She asked, "May I place you on hold?" I told her, "No. Please get a supervisor." She stated that, "I am finished with this call." And just held the phone. I called her an idiot and she stated that I can not speak to a supervisor and hung up. I just want an explanation that makes sense. She was very rude and should not be speaking to customers at all. I am very upset with Navy Federal.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I am very satisfied with the service and quick update of all transaction on my accounts. The transfer of fund from one account to my children is amazing.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

I have been with NFCU for over 10 years. I love the customer service, their security and the fact that it doesn't cost me anything to bank with them.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

When my husband died 22 years ago, our account was with NFCU. I have had no problems with the credit union and have gone in for personal assistance on more than one occasion. Have always received outstanding service and information.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

If you can get a membership, it is well worth it. Online banking is the best, and ATM's are all over the country. Great rates on all types of loans... can't be beat.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

Sends text messages whenever there are extraordinary charges or fraud so I can call and either explain my purchases or tell them I am not in Kansas at a hotel. Very vigilant at this!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

The absolute best experience we've had with Navy Federal Credit Union has been refinancing our mortgage. Before that, we had been bounced around to 3 other banks as our mortgage was bought and sold repeatedly. We were fed up with that and refinanced with NFCU. Their promise: They will never sell our mortgage, ever. Nor do we get the constant stream of spam mail dealing with the other banks always brought. They've been dependable, reliable and always courteous both in person and over the phone. Very happy we are with them.

Original review: July 26, 2017

I have my payment submitted. Paying a credit balance to $0.00 but it takes them up to 72 hours to process payment. When I called to see if they could temporarily raise the limit so I could finish my purchase while still taking advantage of the incentives I get for using their financial institution, they were less than willing. Way to lose a customer on something so simple. I can go find a credit card company that wants to work with their customers who regularly keep a $0.00 balance on their cards because they pay them off within a month. It could have been so simple to retain a customer/member. But instead you wanted to suggest that I wait a "couple more days" and sit on the floor while I wait for you to get your ducks in a row. No thanks. I have the cash.

Original review: July 21, 2017

My husband and I initially tried to use Navy Federal to buy a house back in 2015. We got such a runaround and such poor service that I'm not sure why we started trying to use them again now for a home refinance, other than that they offer more generous terms than many others. Well, still a mistake. The underwriting process was going fine until the home appraisal. The appraisal came in laughably low, which caused us to look into what was going on. Turned out that the appraiser was a trainee. So we started the appeal process with the underwriting department. It felt a little bit like that conversation from Idiocracy about plants and electrolytes. We would give them an appeal, they would return it and say, "You can't talk about X in your letter." We would say, "We didn't." They would say, "You did." And we would say, "Where in the letter do you see this?" Silence. Brawndo's got what plants crave.

Finally, after doing a lot of investigating and calling around ourselves -- including to the Bureau of California Real Estate Appraisers! -- we realized that the appraiser had made a more serious error than we thought. The trainee's supervisor has signed *as the appraiser* instead of as the supervisor. This is hugely illegal in California, and we're currently working with the Bureau of Appraisers in their investigation of how this even got through. Not only was the appraiser wrong to do this, but Navy Federal's underwriting department should have definitely caught the problem, since the trainee admitted in the report that he did all of the work, including the inspection.

So, already, I'm catching things that Navy Federal should have caught. (I should emphasize that I have never worked in the mortgage business or anything like it. I'm just a person with an internet connection and some research skills. I can't even imagine what they do to screw over the servicemen and women who don't have these things, or the time to investigate what's going on with their refinances.) We decide to give them another shot on the appraisal. I get a voicemail from the appraiser that is just someone shouting "CONFUSION PHONE."

I do a reverse search on the number and discover that the appraiser 1) is not local; 2) has a website that, as charitably speaking as I can, is just not in English. When she tried to call me back to set up an appointment, I was not able to communicate with her well enough to ask whether she has done any appraisals in my area before or even to set up an appointment. I have no idea where I am supposed to go from here, or how this person has years of experience (according to Navy Federal) doing appraisals in English.

When notified of this problem, Navy Federal dug in its heels and said that the appraiser had 12 years of experience but they weren't going to tell us where, or how to solve our communication problem. I asked if it was possible to get a translator to set up the appointment at least, and they refused. I believe we are being retaliated against for pointing out the problem with the first appraisal. I wish I knew of a government agency to which to report this problem, because none of this feels very legal. Bottom line: just don't go down this path. I don't know why we keep going down this path. It never works.

Original review: July 18, 2017

If I could give it a zero star I would, that's how pissed off I am at this ** bank. Calling to get something resolve is like talking to a ** wall. Everyone I call to speak to someone in customer service it always leads to nothing getting fix. They treat their customer so poorly when stuff happens. There's so much I could say about this bank but I'm not going to waste anymore of my time to.

Original review: June 28, 2017

Unbelievably incompetent: screwed up wire transfers, failed to send wire transfers and did not inform me, and froze accounts with no notice or explanation while I was overseas. YOU CANNOT SPEAK TO A HUMAN BEING so you have to call multiple times through the computer system, and then re-explain your problem each time to a new person. Finally, had HAD IT and closed my accounts, which the bank re-opened without my permission or telling me, and began accepting deposits into an account for which I no longer had access. NEVER SEEN such horrible practices -- and it's obvious that management and leadership DO NOT CARE. I over the years had over $1M there and couldn't even get anyone to address the problems. Or even return a phone call.

Original review: June 25, 2017

The Office in San Diego Cal 92117, they gave me false information about getting a new Debit Card. I asked for a manager and the manager continued to give me wrong information about receiving a new debit card. I then called the phone customer service and a women named Jacklyn said I would receive my new debit card the next day by Federal Express. They said it would be a duplicate to the one I had. It never came. I went to the San Diego Office 92117 and asked about the issue. They said, "For the information but you can not receive a duplicate card". The office did not care about resolving the situation. I was upset and told them why are they lying to me. This went on for 4 days.

They asked me not to raise my voice. They did not want others to hear about my complaint. I told them sorry they need to honor their code of ethics on their website. I left and went to another branch and after that branch took care of the issue, the police showed up asking if I owned a gun. I said no. The officers they said the other Branch at 92117 said I was upset so they assumed I was a threat. I am filing legal action against the bank for harassment and for calling the police and filing a false police report. Navy Federal Code of Ethics is not honored by their employees or the company. I want not suggest putting your money in a Bank that has no honesty or truth.

Original review: June 17, 2017

Approximately twenty years ago as a retired Navy Chief having successfully raised two, retired with 5 Navy Achievement Medals, 1 Navy Commendation Medal and a Meritorious Mast from the USMC when comms was lost I took over the rescue of the USS Vancouver's AAVs in Operation Sea Angel off Bangladesh; I had a twenty something try to educate me on handling my financial affairs. I moved my money, leaving $100 in my acct, to NICU where I still bank today. I only maintained the use of my NFCU Visa ever since. I have tried to register to access my Visa Acct online several times over the years and have always had something blocking me from doing so. In real life there is a statute of limitations but for this notice which I found out was supposedly an outstanding check (which I never wrote) it's apparently been twenty years and they're still pursuing it. The one thing that NFCU excels in is growth, but don't expect Customer Service.

Original review: June 10, 2017

I began the process of refinancing my existing mortgage with Navy in April 2017. The trail of tears is as follows: Ran a preliminary analysis and quoted me 3.25 + 0 points. Received preliminary approval 3.25 + 5.0% points. Said rate change because I was in their B class due to FICO score (below 720—barely). I told them did they want to believe the FICO or the fact that I had 3 loans with them always paid as agreed. They said it did not matter. Members and Off the Street—same. After arguing and me escalating the matter up the chain, I was offered 3.5 + 0.5% points. I said OK and gave them permission to order $625 appraisal per preliminary closing statement. Appraisal came in lower than expected (surprise..! All appraiser are writing conservative values). Their new offer 4.25% on a 3-year ARM. I am currently paying 4.25% for 30 year fixed loan.

You can't make this stuff up. I informed them they were idiots and suggested they re-look at their numbers. Got new offer of 3.65% provided write a check for $11,000. On June 7 (appropriate day), I told them to go pound sand. June 8, I receive invoice on appraisal. It was $350.00. Clear violation of disclosure (aka fraud). Anyhow, I am a bank regulator, former real estate lender, CPA, MBA, etc. I have never in my 30 years of experience have ever been yanked around like this. I reported Navy to the CFPB and am requesting my $625 back. I also reported them to the NACU. Navy is a stain to the mortgage industry.

Original review: June 1, 2017

Worst experience of my life, almost worse than boot camp. Customer service non-existent and a high degree of loan officer incompetence. Loan date made incorrect to begin with and told by my loan officer Deanna ** that I need to apply for new interest rate on behalf of her error. From then on, everything that could go wrong went wrong, up to the day I closed. I am still waiting on credits to my account. Please, use anyone but Navy Federal for your home loan, you have been warned!

Original review: May 20, 2017

Long story short: Opened an account online Apr 24, 2017 and funded with $50 via debit card from Chase. Accessed the account online ok. Two hours later the account was locked. Called and was told I was not eligible - fine - they would mail a refund check to the address of record. Waited 30 days, no check. Now I am told there is a security issue, and I need to go to a branch, which is 30 miles away. Thanks for communicating so well. Little do they know they missed out on two substantial trust accounts. They're not crooks, just lazy.

Original review: May 3, 2017

I have been a victim of chip card cloning twice in the past 4 months. Physical copies of my card were made and purchases of thousands of dollars were allowed to go through in several different states and even in the UK in a matter of minutes without being detected by their fraud department. Federal regulations prevent banks from holding you financially responsible for fraudulent purchases but Navy Federal has found a way to draw out the process as long as humanly possible. When the purchases are made they go into a pending status which affects your available balance. At this point Navy Federal will not do anything until the charges actually clear which can take two to five business days depending on the merchant. You then must submit a fraud claim to them which will take another two to five business days.

You must realize that weekends and holidays draw out the process even longer so you are without funds for at least a week. If you have loans or bills to pay with Navy Federal in that time you must contact the individual departments to avoid late penalties, overdraft fees, etc... Which requires long waits and dealing with poorly trained representatives. Just about every other bank out there will give you a provisional credit immediately after reporting fraudulent activity realizing that you as the customer require funds to live. Navy Federal is only looking out for their own bottom line and do not care if their policies hurt you and your family.

Navy Federal Credit Union expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Navy Federal Credit Union was founded in 1933 with seven members and has grown to have 5 million today. Members must be affiliated with the Department of Defense, Coast Guard, National Guard or U.S. Armed Forces. Immediate family members of the Navy Federal Credit Union can also join.

• Products and services: Navy Federal Credit Union offers a complete suite of checking, savings, credit cards and loan products. They also provide online and mobile banking.

• Credit cards: The credit union has credit, debit, prepaid, specialty prepaid and gift cards.

• Membership benefits: There are a variety of promotions and benefits for Navy Federal Credit Union members including low loan rates, loan and insurance discounts, discount partner offers and more.

• Saving benefits: To support saving and financial security, the credit union offers a special high interest rate certificate of deposit.

• Mobile and text banking: The mobile app allows customers 24/7 account access and is supported by Apple, Android and Kindle Fire devices. The text banking provides alerts as well as transfers and account information.

• Advice and planning: The resource center offers extensive information about managing money, retirement, financial planning, taxes, military and work life. This portal also includes financial calculators, free navy financial planning and home buying seminars.

• Security center: The fraud protection portal gives advice regarding credit and debit card fraud, phishing scams, online and mobile security along with ATM security.

• Best for: Military members and their families who need specialized banking services stateside and overseas.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg