1.63/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Navy Federal Credit Union

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Navy Federal Credit Union Reviews

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

First of all, I'll start off by saying ALL Credit Unions I've had are FAR AND AWAY SUPERIOR to ALL BANKS PERIOD. 7 Years ago I already have my accounts with San Diego County Credit Union for YEARS. Love them, very small local only bank, very friendly people, they're great. 3 years ago, NFCU opened a new Branch near me, my brother & Nephews all bank with NFCU & kept after me to open an account, but I didn't see the point, I was happy with SDCCU, why should I open another account with yet another bank? I also have an online only Capital One 360 account for the past 15 years.

So finally they talked me into it, I opened a Personal Bank/Savings account with NFCU only because this made it made money transfers to and from my brothers/Nephews easier. It's been over 3 years now, I have to say I'm very very impressed! NFCU Online access experience is Superior to SDCCU. Then last year they approved a $25.000 Platinum Card @ only 8.24% Rate after 0% interest runs out in 15 months, with only a "GOOD" credit score rating. How can you beat this?

Well, now I just found out from my Nephew they will allow me to apply again for 2 more of these same Platinum cards! (Apparently they allow anyone up to 3 cards total, even if all 3 are Platinum Cards!) SO, they just approved my brother for his 2nd 0% platinum card RIGHT when he needed it MOST, even though his credit is only fair due to high Utilization, which this card is now going to help with TREMENDOUSLY! At this point, Impressed is an understatement! I have absolutely nothing negative to say about NFCU.

One last piece of VERY GOOD advice... Never ever under any circumstances should anyone ever bank or have anything to do with Bank of America or Chase! The two worst banks ever in the history of mankind! Total stupidity to have anything to do with BOA or Chase! And many of you are nodding your head in agreement with this right now, aren't you?

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

As a military veteran, I have to say that I've enjoyed my banking time with both Navy Federal CU (NFCU) and USAA Bank for their online resources specific to a not-so-small segment of the population that is often misunderstood and stereotyped by the general population and by social media. We are also 2x as likely to have data breach incidents and identity theft than civilians, from independent studies. What both NFCU and USAA have provided me are less headaches, stress and anxiety, and stomach ulcers from banks and credit unions that "claim" they wish to honor service-members, retirees, dependents and survivors, and veterans. Most will say the same about emergency services and their sacrifices as well.

Having been a former Wells Fargo, Bank of America, Chase Bank, US Bank NA, and a local credit union customer (San Francisco/Bay Area CA) that needs to remain nameless, and I'm embarrassed to admit that I WAS a member of Capital One online banking services, NFCU and USAA have been there for me as an aging member of the national population plus done their utmost to stay in touch and contact me when I have any concerns or questions as to my bank accounts, credit cards, insurance, etc, etc.

I've had NO sudden overdraft fees or hidden fees/penalty fees due to payments being withheld and taken out of order; I haven't found myself suddenly in negative balances in the minus hundreds with the excuse that "there are insufficient funds available" and "overdraft protection is your friend, relax Mr. **!" Nor did they understand when I suddenly became frozen and emotionless yet still quite visibly angry. In the past, I've had to be escorted off the premises by the police and insulted by a teller, with witnesses present, due to being a former service-member. By phone, text, or online has been no better for me.

Again, the exception being NFCU and USAA who go out of their way to treat me with respect as a person and for being a veteran. I've had nine (9), data breaches and identity thefts in 2018-2019 alone, the most recent is a month old, Gmail & Google accounts and NFCU's and USAA's separate efforts of multi-layered security, 2-process identity verification online log on, multi-process phone identity verification, and so on in my personal experience, far surpass the banks/credit union previously mentioned above. I've lost very little sleep knowing they actually value me as a customer. My credit monitoring services all list me as being Exceptional-rating or A-rating when it comes to paying bills, etc., so NFCU and USAA KNOW THIS and it is part of their separate pattern-recognition protocols and have contacted me when I've made a digital or reality purchase and a SNAFU (situation normal, all fouled-up) has occurred. Every time!

Not brag or boast but mere fact backed-up by paperless accounting, online accounts, AND text messaging. These fine folks are also veterans, dependents and/or survivors, retirees, former Department of Defense, former government officials, former emergency services, or have known or know military-related people and emergency-service personnel, and college students so they can actually relate to our perspectives. They definitely understand my goofy sense of humor and my take on personal responsibility, security and safety, and why I'm compelled to honor my word.

They continue to understand and compliment me when I make necessary info changes such as my choice of cancelling all my Google product accounts including Gmail, which took 2 days to delete years of information Google collected on me including everything, yes everything! From the Spam folder collected over the years as part of Google's "privacy protection"; changing emails; password changes; my verification of goods and services over a certain amount; online shopping credentials; online veteran services credentials; I could go on and on with praises but I think I've said more than enough about NFCU and USAA except to say, that for them, it's just another regular day at the office providing help and assistance. With deepest gratitude and warmth, they have earned my thanks many times over.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 16, 2019

In May 2019, after reviewing rates, I decided to apply for a VA mortgage with Navy Federal Credit Union. I submitted everything that was required per information on their website and I received pre-approval in a very short period of time. My loan officer was Ms. ** and she was phenomenal, she contacted me a couple of times to verify some information, and once she had everything in order, passed my information to the loan processor, Mr. **. He immediately contacted me and explained where I was in the process (awaiting VA appraisal and titling). He also told me that Ms. ** had done an outstanding job of preparing my loan packet and he was sending it for the first review.

Once the VA appraisal was completed, he notified me, verified a a couple of more things, and informed me that my loan packet was going for final review. This is where things slowed down considerably. I was about a week from my scheduled closing date (15 July 2019) and still had not received final approval. The Thursday before closing, Mr. ** sent me an email at 3:15pm informing me that the reviewer had began working on my packet.

At 3:37pm I received another email from Mr. ** congratulating me on being approved. Mr. ** called me and apologized for the delay and explained that they were a little backed up because so many people were applying for mortgage loans due to the low interest rates. I completely understood. I read a lot of negative reviews about the NFCU mortgage process but I can honestly say that Ms. ** and Mr. ** kept me informed every step of the way and made this a very smooth process for me. I highly recommend NFCU!!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I am saddened to see that they only have 1 and a half stars on here as of writing this. I have been a NFCU member for 4 years, and I have never had any problems with them. A local credit union, Vystar, has given me so many more problems, mainly with their website and lack of knowledge on the call center portion. I used to love them. But Navy Federal has my heart now. Like I said, I've been with them for 4 years. I have multiple savings accounts, checking accounts, business accounts, a credit card, and will soon be buying a home through them. I cannot recommend them enough. They have always been there when I needed them, are upfront about everything, and provide exceptional customer service.

Coming from a woman who expects nothing but the best out of the companies that I give my money to, they meet, if not exceed, my expectations. They are exactly how banks and credit unions should be, and to be honest, how other companies should act. Professional, knowledgable, and courteous. I have never gotten the runaround from any representative, they are all on top of everything, and if they were in trouble financially as a credit union, they are someone I would invest in. Also, note the fact they have never had to have a government bailout unlike SOME banks which I shall never do business with. Absolutely nothing bad to say about Navy Federal. Will DEFINITELY be with them for life.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I've been a member with NFCU since 1979 and NEVER had any issues with any of their products. Maybe I fortunate. Did a lot of business with them while I was on active duty (1988-2011) being stationed all over the world and they've always been there when I needed a loan, credit cards, or help me set up bill-pay. That's more than I can say for my other financial institution (USAA-with them since 1986 and closed everything in late 2017). The returns (interest rates, promos, etc.) on their products are much better than most banks.

I've always stayed on top of my finances and saved for emergencies in case I didn't have a paycheck. I also didn't use my credit card or checking if the money wasn't there to pay off a bill. It doesn't work for everyone, but it's interesting how many people want their banks to give them money with little to no collateral. NFCU (like many institutions) has so many notification tools to keep you updated on the status of your accounts. I guess it's no surprise when certain media outlet report that on average 40% of adults don't have enough savings to cover a $400 emergency. If your expectation is for this credit union to give you money for nothing (no interest or collateral)--then you might want to consider looking elsewhere. If you're on top all your finances and are looking for competitive rates, offers/promos, good phone app/security features--then you won't be disappointed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navy Federal Credit Union?

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

I’ve read a lot of these reviews and I’m shocked! My family experience has been great! I constantly get alerts on my phone when a charge is made. My eDeposits are available immediately, customer service is super friendly. Why I stayed? I had (still do USAA for YEARS). 4 years after my bankruptcy they denied me getting a credit card so I can reestablish credit, & denied my loan for a mortgage (1st time buyer). Seems I'm only eligible to buy whatever products they’re selling. I’m only keeping USAA because my direct deposit is available early.

I just knew Navy Fed was going to do the same thing since I’ve only been a member for 2 years. & Surprisingly, after applying for a mortgage loan & credit card, I was approved. The woman on the phone even laughed when I screamed. Even my credit card limit was high (my interest rate is 7.7%) I was shocked and extremely happy. I had my son joined. So far he’s had 3 separate instances of someone putting fraudulent charges on his account. Each time, navy fed alerted him and he got his money back. Maybe the institution varies where you live? Hopefully I never experience anything as awful as the other reviewers.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

821 Credit score. Applied for mortgage refinance last July and completed all paperworks at the same month. It is now Nov13 and still waiting for closing date. Telephone calls and emails are mostly ignored.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

NFCU is a predatory lender with sneaky and underhanded policies designed to lure veterans in to reach unachievable financial goals. My year old credit card has been paid on-time and over the minimum for 12 months. 12 months ago I was informed by a Supervisor that if I does just that my interest would be reduced to something more manageable. I currently am paying 17% APR and me and my wife are struggling to keep up with this payment because of the high interest. But nevertheless, we have been on-time and well over the minimum payment with both the credit card and the mortgage.

Today It took another supervisor less than 15 seconds to tell me that I am not eligible for a reduced interest rate and to have a nice day. All of our hard work, the nights not eating nicer meals, staying in, pouring our hearts out at work....summed up in a 15 second call. Dear NAFCU, I will now default on this and settle to a collection agency, your company is NOT here to help veterans, that is NOT your mission statement...Your mission statement should be "NAVY FEDERAL...Just like Wells Fargo."

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

We started our refinance process in June. Turned In every paper/document they asked us for within a 24 hour period. Our agent would not return our calls without us including his manager on the email. They had no idea about solar loans or the subordination process with solar loans. Which I emailed to the agent. He ignored the documents and told us not to worry about that. It is now November and we still have not closed, nor will we. Because of their incompetence we are having to change lenders. They wasted 6 months of our time, charged us fees (that could’ve been avoided). Do yourself a favor and choose a different lender.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

I’ve read the prior reviews and my complaint is exactly the same, this is ridiculous. I had unauthorized transaction on my card, I called, waited 20 mins to speak to rep, just for her to say call the company first...I was confused but I didn’t want to any friction so called the company who said they would reverse and I also needed to wait for their email, well I didin't see credit or email, which email not takes no days so I called my bank back to get the disputed going and credit since I just put the money in Navy Federal to cover car and rent..But the unauthorized fee that came out will make my car payment short.

So I called them back and they were no help at all, the rep was questioning me like I had something to do with the charge, absolutely no customer service. The charge was a merely 9.99 and instead of them crediting my account, they gave me a run around, as a customer I’m stuck like oh so I’m going owe navy federal too if it doesn’t go through? Answer is yes, the rep had the nerve to say I should have money in account before setting up bill pay...which I did have in there. That’s the reason the money is there, but an unauthorized charge is my fault? If I never put my money in that back and got a cashier's check or money order from 711 I would be ok. Lesson for me why is even use this bank, I have a safe interest isn’t that high for these problems.

Navy Federal Credit Union expert review by Barbara Friedberg

Navy Federal Credit Union was founded in 1933 with seven members and has grown to have 5 million today. Members must be affiliated with the Department of Defense, Coast Guard, National Guard or U.S. Armed Forces. Immediate family members of the Navy Federal Credit Union can also join.

• Products and services: Navy Federal Credit Union offers a complete suite of checking, savings, credit cards and loan products. They also provide online and mobile banking.

• Credit cards: The credit union has credit, debit, prepaid, specialty prepaid and gift cards.

• Membership benefits: There are a variety of promotions and benefits for Navy Federal Credit Union members including low loan rates, loan and insurance discounts, discount partner offers and more.

• Saving benefits: To support saving and financial security, the credit union offers a special high interest rate certificate of deposit.

• Mobile and text banking: The mobile app allows customers 24/7 account access and is supported by Apple, Android and Kindle Fire devices. The text banking provides alerts as well as transfers and account information.

• Advice and planning: The resource center offers extensive information about managing money, retirement, financial planning, taxes, military and work life. This portal also includes financial calculators, free navy financial planning and home buying seminars.

• Security center: The fraud protection portal gives advice regarding credit and debit card fraud, phishing scams, online and mobile security along with ATM security.

• Best for: Military members and their families who need specialized banking services stateside and overseas.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg