2. Finance
  3. Banks and Credit Unions

3.6/5 (226 ratings)

About Pentagon Federal Credit Union

Pentagon Federal Credit Union Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pentagon Federal Credit Union?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pentagon Federal Credit Union?

Original review: April 8, 2021

Bad bad bad! They said I was approved for a credit card, but still have my account as restricted. They keep telling me I have submitted all required information but keep asking for documents I uploaded already. It has been over 90 days!

Original review: March 29, 2021

I wish I could give a NEGATIVE 5 star score. I have been a member of Pentagon Federal since active military duty in the 1980's and in the past I had no issues with their customer service. Recently I decided to refinance my mortgage with them. I spoke with a loan officer named Rocky, who seemed like he knew what he was doing. He offered a great VA loan rate and I decided to go through the process. He never discussed locking the interest rate and I was shocked when many weeks later the loan processor called and questioned why the rate had not been locked. This step had not been discussed with me and I was made to feel that it was my fault for their lack of attention to detail.

I sent an email to Rocky's supervisor requesting the initial loan offer be honored as it was a clear and unmistakable error on the part of the loan officer. Several days later after emailing, calling and texting, the supervisor named Manny finally called back and told me there was nothing he could do. They offered me a loan with a higher interest rate and additional costs, none of which was in the original loan offer. I was so incredibly disappointed with their lack of ethics and poor customer service that I discontinued the loan process and went to a local credit union. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND NOT DOING BUSINESS with Pentagon Federal Credit Union. They lack transparency and are unconcerned about customer service and satisfaction.

Original review: March 28, 2021

Had a horrible experience with PenFed Mortgage Department, I was on hold for a long time every time I called them and the loan officer “Randina” was totally useless and unprofessional, she never answered any of my question correctly, although I sent her all my documents ahead of time she never done her part to qualify me right, I worked with her for 2 months before I get into contract and sent her everything she asked me, when I actually got into the contract and after paid $300 to do the home inspection she told me that they can not get the loan done, she wasted so much of my time and not only that I paid for home inspection for no reason. I have many emails in writing from her that she confirmed that I am good to go for the loan.

She stopped communicating with me without any explanation as why she put me through all this, I even emailed the head of the mortgage team “Joe **” to see if he can help me to see why they put me through all this for no reason but I have not even received any replay from him either. These people were so unprofessional and this whole time I was honest with my response to them and tried my best to be nice and follow their process but at the end I was out of a lot of time and money and no one even bother to contact me and explain what is going on?

They simply stop communicating with no resolution or explanation. I don't recommend PenFed to anyone, they are so messed up, do not give them the chance to do what they did to me. Hope someone from PenFed call me and give me the answers I deserve, do not waste your time working with people like “Randina”, can not expect much more from her when “Joe **” her boss do not care either. Horrible experience, never deal with them again.

Original review: March 11, 2021

Don't leave a bad review. They will drag their feet and become more inept. My wife and I are trying to refinance our home, but once we hit 140 days waiting to close, and for them to do their jobs, my wife wrote a review saying that they are slow. Know today, we hit 183 days!!! We have an email telling us closing would be in a few days. THINKING it was finally over, what happens they never pulled the title. BLOW US OFF. NOT EVEN A CANCELATION EMAIL, NO PHONE CALL, NOTHING!!!

HERE IS THE BEST PART. THE VA (YES THIS WAS A SECURED LOAN) APPRAISAL expires at the 180 mark and guessed what THEY NEVER INFORMED US UNTIL I CALLED TODAY. We HIT 183 days so we have to start all over. TO MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS that have Served they don't care. They Claim to be overworked and it's not their fault. PENFED likes to pass the buck. PICK SOME other company!!!! This will happen to you! Day 1 or 182. AIR FORCE 81st (A-10).

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

I started the VA Loan process on 9 June 2020 and received a closing date of 10 AUG 20020. I was contacted a few days prior and told that, “due to covid” the closing would be postponed, but my rate (2.5%) would carry until closing. I requested an increase in the loan percentage, I borrowed, and lowered the APR, but all paperwork was completed by 7 OCT 2020. It’s now 16 FEB and the closing dates I was given (one at a time) “the end of January” and when that didn't work, “5 FEB” have both passed, uneventfully!

Last night I spoke with a senior manager, Andy, and he hung-up on me when I got frustrated and said “I’m tired of this [**]” (meaning the lack of responding back to me, the length of time it's taking, etc.). He immediately said "I do not have to tolerate that kind of language" and promptly hung-up. Are you kidding me??? This snowflake didn’t even give me a chance to apologize for saying it (which I was started to), when the phone went dead. I called back and told him that PenFed had "horrible customer service" and that I expect someone to call me immediately and tell me when the closing date is. It’s now 16:16 on 16 FEB 2021 and so far no calls or emails. They really don’t seem to care! Run Away!!!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2020

We started a home loan with PenFed in July with a closing date of Dec 31, 2020. They waited until Nov 15 asking for a ton of information, to process it, which we provided. Then on Dec 2, 2020, they tell us they can not get an appraisal done before closing which meant we would lose the house. This left us scrambling to find a new mortgage company with less than a month of closing. Very bad service with no concern to help with this.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2020

They froze my debit card for unusual charge to a vender that I make monthly purchases from. No text, call or email asking to verify purchase. Instead you have to call and wait on hold for about 30 minutes to get verified by one agent then they transfer you to another agent who you are placed on a long hold again. Then you have to verify as well with that person and start over like they have no idea who you are or why you are contacting them. This was a huge time consuming process but I could deal with that. These things happen especially this time of the year.

The biggest issue is that they don't care that you were inconvenienced in any way. They treat it as if this ordeal happened because of something I personally done and it was me inconveniencing them. When I tried to make them aware of my experience they just ignored my experience and rushed me off the phone. I have had a couple of ok experiences with them but for the most part they are bad. I would steer clear from this company.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2020

Sad to report that PFCU mortgage let me down. Once a place to get great products and service no more... I have been struggling since July 2020 on a PFCU equity refinance. The PFCU mortgage folks found a great 15 year fixed solution for me. The problem, it took nearly 5 months to close. Now the refinance with PFCU to a fixed 15 year is finally closed November 13, 2020 and we were able to payoff the first mortgage, the PFCU equity line, and a PFCU VISA card balance. Pretty awesome...

Unfortunately, it's December 8, 2020 and despite the closing documents indicating a $24K PFCU VISA payoff the VISA card is still not paid-off. Over three weeks after closing on the loan and a payoff check from title company cannot be located?? A check from PFCU Mortgage to PFCU VISA is missing?? Why is this my problem?? Multiple calls and e-mails to executive management to rectify this situation and I still have a balance on my VISA account. To be fair to PFCU, the individuals I have spoken to have been professional and courteous. My issue is the length of time it is taking to resolve this matter. No one can tell me a date / time my balance will be paid off...

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

I would greatly appreciate a reason why my wife and I can't get a straight response from PenFed for this awkwardly long refi process. We have made financial plans based on the constant coming and going of closing dates we've received for the last seven months and it's deflating. We have made numerous attempts to get in touch with someone and when we did, shortly thereafter the contact stop. This experience has been so disappointing compared to our previous transaction with PenFed. I'm in finance with my work and the way my wife and I have been treated currently by PenFed is totally deplorable. At this point, it is beyond getting the refi request to feelings of being disregarded, disrespected and totally neglected. I'm sure, in the past seven months business didn't stop for PenFed, but for whatever reason PenFed business stopped for us. Prayerfully, someone from PenFed will give my wife and I some clarity or closure. Thanks.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

So for many years we were highly satisfied customers not Belvoir Federal Credit Union... then Penfed (initially we thought the 2 merged, quickly realized that Penfed took over.) We also realized that we were dealing with the “Kmart of banking”. Familiar Tellers were gone with young or foreign born replacements, void of the basic customer service skills we had experienced before. Long lines, unexpected closures, no working ATMs, etc. now I’m sitting in a drive through line with 10 others cars and finally. Considering a bank change ASAP after an unannounced week long closure where a note was posted on the door with no reason that they would be closed. I’m done. I’ve voiced concerns before with no service recovery efforts returned on their part???‍♀️ Do not even consider trusting your money with this organization.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

Over 5 months to get a simple refinance in which Pen Fed is already the mortgager. No one calls back. Suddenly added points to the loan- saying lock expired- and wants me to pay for their incompetence.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

Penfed Credit Union was a great decision. Jeremy ** was our loan officer and if I could give 10 stars, I would. He was great and very helpful in the whole process. Not only did the rate beat every other rate, but Jeremy also took time to answer my texts, emails and calls to help walk me through every step of the process. He responds quickly to all of our questions and was a great help on each and every step of the entire process. I had an amazing and impressive customer experience because of Jeremy. Highly recommend Penfed and Jeremy in particular! Thanks to both!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2020

Factual. Approved in 2 days on 10/06/20. As of 11/14/20, no funds have arrived. Multiple calls, I stopped the check 11/6 requested a replacement. They said sending Express mail. Still no check. Pmt due.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

I applied for VA refinance of my home on June 8, 2020, and had my VA appraisal completed on June 16, 2020. On July 2, 2020, PENFED after advising my loan was approved advised they had everything to process my loan. I paid for my the appraisal and began asking for a closing date. The first excuse given by loan officer was that my loan was low priority because it was not under contract for a home sale. The second excuse given was that the loan officer takes 60-70 days to close a loan. Then I was told on September 16, 2020, my loan was sent to underwriting, this was relayed by the third loan processor assigned to my loan. Twenty seven days later the loan officer claimed the loan processor had completed my loan and it was ready for submission to underwriting.

It has now passed 135 days since I signed my loan documents after being told it was approved. I still do not have a closing date as of today, October 19, 2020. The Chairman of the Board of Directors has not even responded to his own online porthole were members are to communicate directly with him nor has any customer service representative or supervisor to include the loan officer answer any of my concerns in the many phone calls and emails. As a 100% disabled veteran I can attest that PENFED does not adhere to or acknowledge their own mission statement directed at active duty and retired military members. This federal credit union is a disgrace and certainly includes their leadership from top to bottom. They do not serve for the better of our military families and community. Today I filed a formal complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, The Better Business Bureau, and will continue to voice concern to the State of Florida and it's consumer protection agencies.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2020

Worst customer service ever had...Each day different stories from different people. They dont have any knowledge about what they are saying. I was reported ID theft numerous times for 2 credit card fraudulent charges but they never took serious about that. Now they are reported one more credit card opened in my name so total 3 cards (credit limit 90k..cant believe) now charged off and 2 previous cards they sold to UHG I LLC. Now I am facing legal issues for those cards' fraudulent charges because of Penfed's negligence not taking any action even after I reported ID theft, I am suffering now.. mentally, financially, emotionally and they screwed my credit file. They threatened me by calling to pay the cards even if I reported ID theft. They are irresponsible due to ID theft for those 2 cards they got paid by Insurance according to Penfed rep., but now they are denying what they told me.. STAY AWAY FROM THIS SCAMMER!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2020

I had back to back BAD experiences with Penfed over the past months starting with their mortgage department. I just needed a final quote for the closing on our house 9/8/2020. The title company had sent them a request (with our signatures) more than 3 times, several weeks prior but no response. Long wait over 4 hrs and whoever answered cannot help me anyway. I was the one who actually solved the problem when I mentioned to the customer rep to guide me through the new mortgage system they touted on the phone while I was waiting for someone to answer. Lo and behold, the final quote was in a letter form along with instructions for the title company what to do. They need better training for these customer reps. She did not even offer to check the new system. By the way Penfed's new mortgage online system is excellent.

The 2nd bad experience I had was when we applied online for the Premium savings account which Penfed touted as quick and easy application. Not really. They emailed back that we need to fill in a signature card and send back the form to them by mail or by their secure upload link. We did that. Penfed incorrectly documented the ownership designation (payable upon death) was incorrect. We indicated owner and joint owner with survivorship in our application. I called them, I emailed them several times. I uploaded the scanned forms again as instructed.

It's been more than a month of trying to fix the problem. Today, I was so fortunate to have LARRY, customer rep who did an extra mile to solve my problem. Within a few minutes, the problem was solved. Owner designation on our premium savings account was corrected. Wow! I spoke with his supervisor right away and expressed my appreciation for this person who did things right. That is why TODAY I am giving Penfed 5 stars!!!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

I only gave 1 star because there is not another option. Negative 5 stars would be fair. We refinanced our house and a month later, PenFed bought the Mortgage (I hate that this can happen without consent from us, but...). Before our first payment was due, we got a notice that we had an "escrow shortage" and needed to pay or have higher monthly payments, so I paid the shortage after taking several weeks to get in touch with someone. I was told our payments would be the amount listed on all the refinance paperwork since we had paid the shortage. The first payment we made has been the only payment that was the amount our mortgage paperwork states.

Why have we not had any communication stating that our payment is going to be higher? I don't know and have been calling and emailing, and sending messages through PenFed's website, my account on PenFed's website, and with my own personal email account. I could spend an hour here documenting the dates of phone calls and emails, but I don't have that kind of time. The hours on hold to only be disconnected, told we called the wrong number, or be transferred to be on hold another hour and then disconnected is absolutely infuriating. The only time I was able to get a response (prior to our first payment due date, when it took several weeks), I got a call back and was told that I could call ______ (a supposed supervisor for the mortgage department) or email her anytime directly.

Lo and behold the very next month, my auto payment was not made on the first as we signed up for, and the amount was higher, so I have been calling and emailing (Mortgage supervisor) and anyone else I can but to no avail. My husband and I have excellent credit and the fact that we don't get communication about a monthly mortgage increase and we can't talk to or even get a response from the company about our inquiries is beyond being a poor business model. I have never been involved with a mortgage company with such terrible customer service.

I will pay whatever I have to to refinance our mortgage again and even pay a higher payment just be rid of PenFed. I just want to know why our payment isn't taken out on the timeline set up, the payment is higher than what our paperwork says, and why we can't find someone to talk to or even get a response from when we send a message. I do not have 2 hours to sit on hold every day until I get a response.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

We applied for a mortgage on the 24th of July. It is now September 16 and we are in jeopardy of losing our sizeable deposit due to the terribly inefficient processing and managers at PenFed. We had a 45 day closing window and we were told that we were on track. Excellent credit and 26% loan to value. File sat around for 3 weeks before anyone looked at it. We asked all through the process if more info was needed. No, as no one had looked at the file. Email today stating that they are meticulously reviewing the file, which means that we are not closing due to PenFed taking on way too many applications. Run, run away from this credit union. Their emails are vague and do not answer the questions you ask. We will never deal with these folks again.. The company is not staffed well so applications sit around waiting, no matter how much you impress on them how timely this is for us. Absolutely terrible workflow and terribly inefficient.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

If I could give PenFed negative stars I would and I recommend everyone choose any other lending institution than PenFed for their banking needs. PenFed has been the worst experience I’ve had with any company, and especially with any lending institution. When opening the account, the representative made multiple mistakes and asked for documentation that was previously provided multiple times. Further, the representative stated the process should only take two weeks and the process took well over six weeks to complete due to the representative’s delay and incompetence. I should’ve taken the representative’s incompetence as an indication of things to come, but I was a couple weeks into the process and I didn’t want to start over with another bank.

However, I should’ve started over because it would’ve saved time in doing so. After opening the home equity line of credit, PenFed came out with a new policy that wires could no longer be used to access a home equity line of credit and checks should be used instead. However, PenFed only provides four checks, which is an issue if you have a project that requires you to pay multiple people/companies. In addition, PenFed doesn’t allow ordering checks via its online portal. Instead, you have to call PenFed’s customer service line. So, after calling its customer service line and waiting over two hours to talk to a representative, the representative informed me that my home equity line of credit had been closed. I asked why and he didn’t know. I said that had to be a mistake, so he said he’d transfer me to another department.

However, he didn’t transfer me to another department and instead I was transferred back to the original prompts when I initially called. I followed the prompts again to get the home equity line of credit department and after waiting over an hour I was disconnected by PenFed’s automated customer service line. Needing to access the funds in home equity line of credit, I called back and this time waited 3 hours and 35 minutes to speak with someone. While you’re waiting, the estimated time to talk to someone jumps between a seemingly random number of minutes, which tries ones sanity. For me, the time jumped from over 200 minutes to 63 minutes to 117 minutes to 45 minutes to 72 minutes and a handful of other minutes, none of which seem to indicate how long one actually has to wait.

When I finally reached someone after 3 hours and 35 minutes, the representative informed me the account was not closed. So I asked her to send additional checks to access funds in the home equity line of credit and she said she’d do so. However, I have not received them yet and am skeptical whether the checks will ever come. To add icing on the cake, I received a notification that my account has been suspended from making online payments. In sum, choose someone else, anyone else for your banking needs and save yourself the consternation of having to deal with PenFed.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

So we are in process on a new purchase home loan. One week after applying for loan, we finally get request to pay for appraisal. $490 paid same day. Now, 4 days later, we get notice that appraisal is $700. Unacceptable. The home is a brand new home, in a community 90% sold. It is selling at a price the developer is selling a new home at.

First of all, it is nuts to require an appraisal at all for a home loan that is 30% loan to value. But, whatever. Now the price changes. And the appraisal is not likely to be completed within the 21 day dues diligence period, since they have already blown through 12 days of it. Rate was low, and I've had 2 previous mortgages with them that were problem free. But service has badly deteriorated. I would not use them again at this point.

Original review: July 28, 2020

Opened account to buy used car - easy process and set up because it was automated online application. They DO have best rates on everything but if you can stay with the checking/cc side of finances you will be good. Avoid the mortgage department - financing or refinancing your home - absolute nightmare of ignorance and lack of professionalism: you will spend days waiting on the phone; if you leave a message you will never hear back from anyone. Save yourself the headache. Those agents must late their work or are paid to do nothing (since PenFed has no closing costs).

Original review: July 14, 2020

PenFed has continued to hit lows in all aspect of service on our mortgage -- right back to the application. Every month we pay a little extra as a principal only payment and EVERY MONTH they misappropriate the money. This has happened at least 9 of the last 12 months and EVERY TIME I have to spend hours on hold and wait weeks to get them to fix their errors. I send the payment in with "PRINCIPAL ONLY" written on the check, accompanied by a letter that says "PRINCIPAL ONLY" and every time they put money in escrow and double charge me interest for the month (since they've already taken interest out of my normal payment). EVERY MONTH I send it multiple emails, letters and wait on hold for 30-60 minutes (I'm not exaggerating) only to be told that they'll have to open a ticket for someone to look into it and then it takes days to weeks to get the money paid back to our principal. I HATE THIS COMPANY!!!!

Original review: June 17, 2020

First off, I currently have a used auto loan with PenFed. I have had the loan since 2017 for a truck I bought, and everything has been simple - until now. I applied for a loan on a classic car from 1971. The loan amount was about $16,000 after I paid for some in cash, and I was pre-approved right there on the spot. The car is a completely rebuilt classic with only 2,400 miles on the new engine and transmission. The car is in pristine condition.

First I was told they needed pictures of everything outside and within the car. Okay, easy enough. I got pictures of the inside, outside, engine, trunk, etc., and the title. Everything was good there, too. Next they wanted an appraisal. Alright...a pain, but I went through and got the appraisal completed by a local Chevrolet dealer. In big words on the top of the page are "USED CAR APPRAISAL FORM" which apparently wasn't "what PenFed was looking for" and wanted a full appraisal of what made this car worth $16,000.

The car was rebuilt by the previous owner out of his own pocket. He didn't take it somewhere to have it done, he worked on it for over 4 years to get it where it's at today. The previous owner and I sat down with the appraiser and listed out all of the things that were done with the car, and the appraiser still signed off on the appraised amount of the car. That is the job of this person, he appraises cars. Apparently a Chevrolet dealer isn't a "certified" appraiser, and PenFed wanted someone different to look at it. I refused, as this is absolute nonsense. I should not have to be running around left and right for all of this to get a car loan. ESPECIALLY when NADA auto sales appraises the car at $14,219. It is absolutely ridiculous.

Mind you, I mentioned my auto loan I currently have. I have paid over $10,000 on this loan and NEVER missed a single payment. I have a 753 credit score. I would consider myself to be extremely LOW RISK to lend money to. My credit history is perfect in terms of payments made on time and everything else. With all of this nonsense running around for this vehicle, I will be refinancing my current loan so I don't pay a single penny more to PenFed. They have lost all trust and faith in an active duty service member, and I will be ABSOLUTELY sure to tell all of my battles to never use PenFed for any type of service. They are a disgrace to their claim of being there for service members. I will gladly let all I know to never walk in to their bank. I would rather pay a higher interest rate to a company that takes care of its members than to pay money to a company like PenFed.

Original review: June 1, 2020

I have been with PenFed for over 20 years, going back to when I was in the military. PenFed was a good deal 20 years ago but they have failed to keep up with the times. The first issue is PenFed is unable to deliver a functioning mobile app. This is no longer a luxury but a requirement. Paying bills using the mobile app works maybe 10% of the time and the app usually requires 2-3 restarts just to be able to view transactions. After complaining about this to the bank I was told to use the "web browser. It works fine". I know the web browser works fine - I want to use the mobile app that you gave me that doesn't work... I am tolerant of bugs in apps and that they take time to correct but this has been going on for 2 years. The app is garbage. Where does the $60 per year online bill-pay fee go?

The second issue is that I have applied for some form of credit approximately 5 times in the last 20 years and have been denied by PenFed on 4 of those occasions - I simply visited another bank, applied and was approved for credit in each case. The odds of getting a loan from PenFed are about the same odds as winning the lottery. Several of my friends and colleagues have had the same experience. Why be a member of a credit union if I cannot get credit?

Next comes the fraud detection department and associated process. I have been doing banking with another institution for a while now, I had a small business account with them and a personal account - never with has my debit or credit card with this other bank been locked due to basic activities. PenFed's fraud detection system is equivalent to a helicopter parent keeping their child safe from the dangers of walking through a grassy field.

It's a constant nuisance and has caused several issues for my family when trying to pay for something only to have to switch to another card (from another bank) because the PenFed card is locked. Why have a card with PenFed that is suddenly locked every so often? The final concern I have is the excessive advertising that PenFed does. It strikes me that they are overly focused on recruiting new members instead of keeping the ones they have. It is a lot of work to leave a bank that you've been with for a long time but I have had it - I'm out.

Original review: May 10, 2020

I have never dealt with a bank as bad as this. The hold times on the phone are insane. They will fee you for ANYTHING and everything under the sun. Even if it's THEIR fault. The menu to even get to a live person is clunky and deliberately made to make it hard (they want you to use the automated system). I was so fed up with PenFed that I asked them to do a ACH transfer (ALL MY MONEY) to Chase.

They transferred a few dollars. I was charged a fee. Even though they transferred the wrong amount they still argued with me that I was responsible for the fee! I also racked up 300 dollars in insufficient funds fees for a bunch of small first class letter shipping charges I did through paypal for business. They WOULD NOT waive the fees, despite it being an accident that I quickly caught and called in about. The customer service is extremely rude. I dealt with about 10 people there and only 1 of them was pleasant. I signed up with PenFed initially planning on getting an Auto Loan. NO WAY NOW. I will never have a relationship here again.

Original review: May 9, 2020

My NRA card account was taken over by PenFed. The first bill I got from them said my payment was past due. I never carry a balance. Paid in full immediately online and submitted a complaint. Got call from their robot the next day with message to call. I called thinking they wanted to discuss my complaint. Nope, they said my account was delinquent and they wanted payment. I told them I paid in full yesterday. They argued about it. Finally after several minutes they were like "Oh, there it is, now I see it." No apologies, condescending tone, their auto pay options are so lacking compared to other cards I have. Like simply a selection to draft my account for statement balance.

Also, if I didn’t sign up for paperless relationship they were going to charge me a fee. So I did, only to be told they would not send me a statement or a reminder when statement is due. They said I was just going to have to remember to log on on the 2nd of each month. Very lacking in capability, very poor attitude and almost every comment made was condescending. I didn’t even ask to be their customer. They told me previously that they would be opening up an account and issuing me a card and That there was nothing I could do to stop it because their opt out date had passed. I really do not like the way this relationship has started. I will probably cancel my membership. Just an awful experience with the 2 representatives I have talked to so far. They probably feel the same because I let them have it.

Original review: April 8, 2020

Let me tell you something. This bank is living in the stone age. The customer service hours are terrible. The customer service representatives are not helpful. They accused me of fraud because I applied to open a joint account with my grandmother. They put my money on hold for a week and counting. They asked for extra information. I gave it to them and I'm still waiting to have access to MY money. They don't return phone calls. I also cannot bank in person or online! They blocked me from my own money. The moment I get my money back I will close every account with them. Never again.

Original review: March 30, 2020

Took at an auto loan at the bank. Everything started smoothly and suddenly that changed. I closed my checking and savings kept my low interest credit card. For some reasons the bank will not surrender my title.

Original review: March 19, 2020

I have had the worst experience in my life with PenFed's Mortgage process. First of all, it took them 4 months to complete my loan. This should of been a big sign, right! I could not get a response on the status of my loan via email or voicemail. Apparently everyone is in different States that you talk to. My loan was re-started by 2 loan officers because I guess the person doing my loan quit. Well, I finally got loan approval, however they included my Condo (personal) insurance in the loan. Condo HOA's pay the entire homeowners insurance for everyone and individual homeowner insurance is paid for by the individual. I pay this on my own. I called Penfed to take this off of my monthly invoice because I already pay this on my own. They told me over the phone to request this be removed from my impounds via email, which I have done 8 times. I have also sent them a letter in writing, still no response.

My first email when to them the first week of January... we are now at the in of March and still not response. It is still on my bill. As of now, I am paying my insurance twice every month. One to the insurance company and one to Penfed. They will not respond. I've also called a representation and they say they have the information and someone will get back to me. These are the same people that tell you that all you need to do is send them an email and request to take it off your impounds. Easy Peasy…. right.... WRONG. They need to get their customer service and loan staff trained better in all areas and hire more people to handle what they are offering. I do not believe they know what they are doing when it comes to home loans. Maybe credit union, credit cards and banking but not home loans. I don't think they are the best in this business. They have a long way to go. Signed, Still waiting for a Response

Original review: March 14, 2020

I cannot express how TERRIBLE THEIR Customer service has become, GOOD LUCK getting anything done by email or phone, and be prepared to be on hold for a long time when you call. The latest screw up, I was closing on a property and arranged a wire transfer. The wire department said all was good to go. Next day, I'm about to close on the property and I see the wire hasn't happened. Couldn't even get a simple wire transfer right. If you need to do anything more complex than a basic account creation, it will be hell on earth getting one. Perhaps it's not too difficult if you are actually in their office, but for someone who lives in Florida with no nearby branches, it's SO BAD, I will be leaving them as soon as I can get rid of my loan balances. They used to be awesome for military and government members. Maybe they have downsized with the internet and cut personnel or new management, who knows, but I'm so fed up with them.

Pentagon Federal Credit Union Company Information