PenFed Credit Cards

PenFed Credit Cards

3.9/5 (135 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About PenFed Credit Cards

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

PenFed Credit Cards Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PenFed Credit Cards?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pentagon Federal Credit Union Credit Card?

Original review: March 20, 2022

Both I and my wife applied for a PenFed credit card in February with a perfect credit score of 750 each, we received an approval on Feb 16 and state a credit card is in the process of being mailed and will receive it within 7 to 10 business days. I called PenFed about 12 days later only to be told it's not been mailed out and will do so straight away, I waited a week and still no card card in the mail, I called back and was informed that a card cannot be issued until a account was opened in our names separately as there were two separate applications, so we complied and open an account each with a minimum deposit of $5 each but due to the nature of the transaction I was charge a further $10 by my bank so now I am $20 down in my bank.

A week went by and there was still no card. I called PenFed again and was told that a card cannot be issued due to lack of information (Credit card security information) was needed to be filled before a credit card can be issued and I must add at this point no one has informed us that the whole process is time sensitive. We received the form via email and we printed the form, filled and signed the form and emailed to PenFed as requested, Three days go past and I received an email from PenFed stating that a card cannot be issued because I did not filled in the required information in a timely manner, the plot thickens, We were informed by the supervisor that my wife's credit card was issued on the 3/8/2022 and was definitely in the mail but not mine, so why were we told on the 14th of March that a card cannot be issued until the Credit Security Information was filled buy yet my wife's credit card was issued on the 8th and was in the mail (we still have not received it yet).

This is a Micky Mouse company that does not know how to conduct business in a timely manner and value its customers. Walt Disney does a better job than this. The Supervisor advised me that due to federal laws a credit pull is only valid for a month and they will need to pull another credit If I wanted to apply again for a credit card and they would ask the credit company to withdraw my first inquiry and that would take anywhere up to 2 months to square up with the credit bureau.

I started another application and While I was applying another credit pull was initiated by PenFed without my consent and that when I stopped my application and decided to write this review. I have applied for credit before and I have never experience an Incompetence company that does not have any structure in its process. I have lost points on my credit file, wasted my time and money on a company that does not value its customers' valued time, money or points they have worked hard to gain with the credit bureau, all they want is an account to be opened and try to claw more money from the customer. Join this company at your own peril, you have been warned.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2022

If you are active military, a vet, the son, or the daughter of a veteran, please please do not support this credit union. They don't care about you!!!! Penfed should be ashamed of themselves. I was using a power cash visa for personal and business purposes for 6+ years. Out of nowhere they seized $17,368 in rewards points earned and claimed it was because I violated the terms and conditions of the card. My father served in the Vietnam war and recommended I support Penfed with our business spend. All these years of spending millions with this bank and then out of nowhere, they pulled the rug out without any warning and literally deleted my rewards account. Do you think this bank needs my $17,000? THEY SHOULD ABSOLUTELY BE ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES.

I even told them, I wanted to donate a large percentage of the money and all the agents want to do is read from a script. Literally, every time I made a payment I had to speak with a supervisor to push the large payments. That means the hundreds of times I called, not a single supervisor told me I should not be using this card for business. NEVER! I subsequently learned that I was in fact not following the terms and conditions. There is no denying that.

In their letter, they said I violated, "Section 7 - account abuse/misuse and fraud". The issue I have is why couldn't they notify me 6 years ago. Why couldn't they shut the account down after 1 month, 1 year, 2 years, 4 years, etc. Why couldn't they call me? Why couldn't they warn me? Talk about COWARDS! They waited and waited till I accumulated a large sum of rewards dollars and then basically said, ok it's game over. Your rewards are being seized. They called me a criminal basically. It's not like their credit card is any more beneficial than my capital one spark where I get 2% cash. If you are active military, a vet, the son, or the daughter of a veteran, please please do not support this credit union. They don't care about you!!!!

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2022

Used points to buy VISA gift cards as gifts. Website wouldn't print out the e cards. Rewards customer service was no help. Said it was problem for Pen Fed Visa. Asked them to cancel purchase and return points. That's up to Pen Fed Visa. Why do the cards expire after 6 months? That's up to Pen Fed Visa.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2021

Logged into my account to find out Penfed froze my account due to my son's account being scammed. Now when we went to the bank last summer to open him an account and explained it needs because he was headed to college next year they never once told me I would be responsible for his account. I was told that I could transfer money via accounts for his books and such without it cost. Well fast forward to today my account has been frozen with no way for me to pay my bills because his be account was scammed. I have been a good and loyal consumer for years with no negatives on my account whatsoever. At the very least they should have informed me of all the pros and cons of opening an account for my son but they deliberately attached it to my own account and froze my account when something happened with his. I will be leaving this bank after years for bad practices and not fully informing their customers.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2021

3 months in dealing with the most incompetent people I have ever dealt with. Trying to go VA refinance. Every day for 90 days it’s something new. They are making their own VA rules instead of using the handbook. I wish I read these and the bbb reviews before I applied. I see a class action lawsuit in their future. I have contacted the chairman, trying to find the underwriting manager is like trying to steal gold from Fort Knox.

Original review: May 4, 2021

This has been an ongoing issue with my Penfed account. It started out with some updates if I recall to the webpage which is a well organized webpage. I have had one issue or another with being able to access and pay my penfed visa. First I was not able to review transactions on any device nor the app on my iPhone. Well that appeared to resolve itself however, the other issue developed where I could not pay my visa online. Subsequent to the online issue I moved to paying my visa via the app. Well now neither method works. I have to call and spend upwards of 30+ minutes listening to how great penfed is and how much I matter to them.

Don't get me wrong I have done well with penfed over the years and will continue to use their services if this gets fixed. Sadly we all have better options these days so hopefully penfed will resolve this issue soon. Given the amount of time this has persisted I do not think it will be soon. By then I will have switched to one of my other banking institutions so I can pay my bills without having to contend with these lengthy phone calls just to pay a bill. PLEASE FIX THIS ISSUE PENFED!!

Original review: March 1, 2021

Not much to complain about with most PenFed activity since early 2000s, but in Jan 2021, I got a message "Great News! We've streamlined your credit card payment experience." What happened was that before I could log in and see what my balance was and look at current charges (or last invoice - or previous invoices) and then simply select from the right side of the screen to transfer funds from (select one of my accounts) to a credit card, and then select the amount and date to pay, and that was it. Simple and very efficient.

NOW it takes a "Make a Payment" selection from the main screen at the credit card balance section and you are directed to another screen (maybe it's a VISA controlled screen?) to select how and when and how much you want to pay. Very poor and awkward method to pay now. Several complaints - actually suggestions to correct this at first - were met with disinterest and efforts to explain to me - as if I were a kid - how this was such a much better payment method. I do not like this. I started with a Platinum - PenFed call it a Power Cash Rewards - VISA last summer and I find now that if I try to cash in rewards and I select 'apply to my card' it takes a full cycle (a month or more) to get the amount credited. Boy, was I stupid - if I had selected, 'apply to my checking account,' they apply the reward amount in 2 business days. So I learned something this past month waiting for the rewards to be posted! So that is another minor complaint.

PenFed Credit Cards response

Hi Dennis, thank you for your feedback. We're sorry that you are not happy with the update to the payment experience. Please know that your comments will be shared with the team and considered for future enhancements. Thank you for your continued membership with PenFed.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

PenFed should be prosecuted for financial practices that violate their customer's financial well-being and trust! This Bank is a Fraud and treats their customers Horribly! They conduct shady bank dealings without one's knowledge. Be full warned this bank is shady, unethical, and breaches good & fair business ethics, and the goodwill of the people they serve. They should be under investigation and heavily fined for what they do to their members. This Bank is a everything you don't want for you, your family, or business dealings. Trust us all on this thread...Do Not Do It! You Can Do Way Better For Yourself. This Bank should be investigated by the Feds.

PenFed Credit Cards response

Hi Solymar, we regret that we weren't able to resolve your issue to your satisfaction. We hope to be able to have another opportunity to assist you in the future. Please reach out when you're ready.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

I have had many banks, credit unions and PenFed has been the worst. They close one of my accounts without notice while I was out of the country during the pandemic and that lowered my scored and lowered my credit real bad. I contacted them to see if they could re-open it and they won't. I was thinking about using them again for mortgage and other things but will never go back. DO NOT USE THEM. YOU WILL REGRET IT.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

I was approved 2 PenFed credit cards In which I barely use my payment is always in advance to maintain 0 balance in each card for the advantage. Have full

Funds when I need it. To my surprise I went to purchase an item and they declined it when I have plenty of funds to use it. So I went to use the other card from PenFed and also declined it with plenty credit funds so I call PenFed and they transfer to the fraud dept and they told me they block the transaction for my protection.

This is the stupidest policy did ever heard. They don’t know the embarrassing moment that I went thru and that not all to verify my. If they ask me lot a question for my if what name last 4 ss, where do I live, phone num, where and when was my last 8 transaction dates and amount, my grandma name and age. My recommendation stay away from this credit union. Tomorrow I will close the account and take my stash to another bank and apply for new credits from another financial institutions. You don’t want credit cards from PenFed where you could get stranded because they block it for your protection and you cannot use it and wait for next day to call PenFed and work the living hell to unblock. When you were in the street well waiting next day to resolve their problems when you had plenty of fund.

Pentagon Federal Credit Union Credit Card author review by Danni White

Pentagon Federal Credit Union (PenFed) is a large American financial institution that has been around since 1935. It serves all fifty states and some international military bases. Along with other financial services, PenFed offers several Visa and American Express credit cards to members.

• Power Cash Rewards Visa®: This rewards card earns you from 1.5 to 2 percent cash back on all your purchases, with no limit on how much you can earn. It also comes with a $100 bonus statement credit if you spend $1,500 in the first 90 days.

• Platinum Rewards Visa Signature®: This card has no annual fee and allows you to earn five points per dollar spent on gas, three points per dollar on grocery and one point per dollar on everything else.

• Travel Rewards American Express®: This card lets you earn five points per dollar spent on airfare and one point per dollar spent elsewhere. You can redeem for giftcards or a variety of products like luggage or toys.

• Simple credit card options: If you prefer a card that is not a rewards card, you can choose from the PenFed Promise Visa® or the Gold VIsa®. The Promise card has no fees and was named the simplest card in America by credit.com. The Gold has no annual fees, foreign transaction or cash advance fees.

• Digital wallet: You can connect your PenFed credit card with your smartphone and make quick, secure payments. Use Apple Pay, Samsung Pay or Android Pay to take the hassle out of carrying a physical credit card.

by Danni White ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Danni White is committed to providing valuable resources designed to help consumers make informed purchase decisions. Danni specializes in content strategy and development, with over a decade of professional writing and research experience.

PenFed Credit Cards Company Information