Find a Credit Cards partner

PenFed Credit Cards

4.0/5 (72 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About PenFed Credit Cards

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

PenFed Credit Cards Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PenFed Credit Cards?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pentagon Federal Credit Union Credit Card?

Original review: Sept. 27, 2021

3 months in dealing with the most incompetent people I have ever dealt with. Trying to go VA refinance. Every day for 90 days it’s something new. They are making their own VA rules instead of using the handbook. I wish I read these and the bbb reviews before I applied. I see a class action lawsuit in their future. I have contacted the chairman, trying to find the underwriting manager is like trying to steal gold from Fort Knox.

Original review: May 4, 2021

This has been an ongoing issue with my Penfed account. It started out with some updates if I recall to the webpage which is a well organized webpage. I have had one issue or another with being able to access and pay my penfed visa. First I was not able to review transactions on any device nor the app on my iPhone. Well that appeared to resolve itself however, the other issue developed where I could not pay my visa online. Subsequent to the online issue I moved to paying my visa via the app. Well now neither method works. I have to call and spend upwards of 30+ minutes listening to how great penfed is and how much I matter to them.

Don't get me wrong I have done well with penfed over the years and will continue to use their services if this gets fixed. Sadly we all have better options these days so hopefully penfed will resolve this issue soon. Given the amount of time this has persisted I do not think it will be soon. By then I will have switched to one of my other banking institutions so I can pay my bills without having to contend with these lengthy phone calls just to pay a bill. PLEASE FIX THIS ISSUE PENFED!!

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 1, 2021

Not much to complain about with most PenFed activity since early 2000s, but in Jan 2021, I got a message "Great News! We've streamlined your credit card payment experience." What happened was that before I could log in and see what my balance was and look at current charges (or last invoice - or previous invoices) and then simply select from the right side of the screen to transfer funds from (select one of my accounts) to a credit card, and then select the amount and date to pay, and that was it. Simple and very efficient.

NOW it takes a "Make a Payment" selection from the main screen at the credit card balance section and you are directed to another screen (maybe it's a VISA controlled screen?) to select how and when and how much you want to pay. Very poor and awkward method to pay now. Several complaints - actually suggestions to correct this at first - were met with disinterest and efforts to explain to me - as if I were a kid - how this was such a much better payment method. I do not like this. I started with a Platinum - PenFed call it a Power Cash Rewards - VISA last summer and I find now that if I try to cash in rewards and I select 'apply to my card' it takes a full cycle (a month or more) to get the amount credited. Boy, was I stupid - if I had selected, 'apply to my checking account,' they apply the reward amount in 2 business days. So I learned something this past month waiting for the rewards to be posted! So that is another minor complaint.

PenFed Credit Cards response

Hi Dennis, thank you for your feedback. We're sorry that you are not happy with the update to the payment experience. Please know that your comments will be shared with the team and considered for future enhancements. Thank you for your continued membership with PenFed.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

PenFed should be prosecuted for financial practices that violate their customer's financial well-being and trust! This Bank is a Fraud and treats their customers Horribly! They conduct shady bank dealings without one's knowledge. Be full warned this bank is shady, unethical, and breaches good & fair business ethics, and the goodwill of the people they serve. They should be under investigation and heavily fined for what they do to their members. This Bank is a everything you don't want for you, your family, or business dealings. Trust us all on this thread...Do Not Do It! You Can Do Way Better For Yourself. This Bank should be investigated by the Feds.

PenFed Credit Cards response

Hi Solymar, we regret that we weren't able to resolve your issue to your satisfaction. We hope to be able to have another opportunity to assist you in the future. Please reach out when you're ready.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

I have had many banks, credit unions and PenFed has been the worst. They close one of my accounts without notice while I was out of the country during the pandemic and that lowered my scored and lowered my credit real bad. I contacted them to see if they could re-open it and they won't. I was thinking about using them again for mortgage and other things but will never go back. DO NOT USE THEM. YOU WILL REGRET IT.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2020

I was approved 2 PenFed credit cards In which I barely use my payment is always in advance to maintain 0 balance in each card for the advantage. Have full

Funds when I need it. To my surprise I went to purchase an item and they declined it when I have plenty of funds to use it. So I went to use the other card from PenFed and also declined it with plenty credit funds so I call PenFed and they transfer to the fraud dept and they told me they block the transaction for my protection.

This is the stupidest policy did ever heard. They don’t know the embarrassing moment that I went thru and that not all to verify my. If they ask me lot a question for my if what name last 4 ss, where do I live, phone num, where and when was my last 8 transaction dates and amount, my grandma name and age. My recommendation stay away from this credit union. Tomorrow I will close the account and take my stash to another bank and apply for new credits from another financial institutions. You don’t want credit cards from PenFed where you could get stranded because they block it for your protection and you cannot use it and wait for next day to call PenFed and work the living hell to unblock. When you were in the street well waiting next day to resolve their problems when you had plenty of fund.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2020

Absolutely the worst experience I ever had... Took 3 months to close. Amy ** is the worst manager ever. Michael ** doesn't communicate and doesn't respond to emails. Robert ** is a joke... Dont let the good rates fool you.... If I could give zero stars I would..

Original review: Aug. 26, 2020

I had a high interest rate credit card I wanted Penfed to transfer. Well long story short I filled all the paperwork and was approved. The balance transfer never happened. Seemed all penfed wanted was my bank info.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2020

I would like to think I am a dependable 27 year old customer with 0 debt and a good number of credit lines and limit. Considering the details they have of me they know I would have 0 issue paying the auto loan that I applied for. When I called I was told I got rejected due to the fact that I do not have a 100 year old credit history (limit credit history of 36 months apparently). They also said that to get the loan that I would need to have a co borrower which makes no sense whatsoever. Not only that they sabotaged my ability to get any car loan due to the hard credit check that they did and were not even willing to reconsider the application.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2020

I opened a checking and savings account, on 7/30. I decided to close it after the restrictions placed on the account. PENFED had requested an additional $25 to open the checking account, via, it mail. So I sent it, but in the interim the account was closed, as I requested. I called to inquire about check, I had mailed. I was told, "No reason to be concerned, your check will not be deposited, it will be returned to you because there is no open account." It was deposited, and now they are refusing to refund my money.

I have contacted these people multiple times, each time I am told, "It will sent to you," to date, I do not have my money. So, I decided to call again today, which has been 11 days, since my first contact. I spoke with another rep., I was hold about hour. He could not resolve the issue. He told me, "We do not deposit checks, what is that check no?" Then he transferred me to his manager. He said, we are still checking on this, it should be resolved soon, today or tomorrow. I will call you back. These people are treating me as if I have stolen money from them and they are the thieves. This has been an awful experience, and has not been resolved. I am thankful, I closed this account, it was a wise decision.

Pentagon Federal Credit Union Credit Card author review by Beverly Harzog

Pentagon Federal Credit Union (PenFed) is a large American financial institution that has been around since 1935. It serves all fifty states and some international military bases. Along with other financial services, PenFed offers several Visa and American Express credit cards to members.

• Power Cash Rewards Visa®: This rewards card earns you from 1.5 to 2 percent cash back on all your purchases, with no limit on how much you can earn. It also comes with a $100 bonus statement credit if you spend $1,500 in the first 90 days.

• Platinum Rewards Visa Signature®: This card has no annual fee and allows you to earn five points per dollar spent on gas, three points per dollar on grocery and one point per dollar on everything else.

• Travel Rewards American Express®: This card lets you earn five points per dollar spent on airfare and one point per dollar spent elsewhere. You can redeem for giftcards or a variety of products like luggage or toys.

• Simple credit card options: If you prefer a card that is not a rewards card, you can choose from the PenFed Promise Visa® or the Gold VIsa®. The Promise card has no fees and was named the simplest card in America by credit.com. The Gold has no annual fees, foreign transaction or cash advance fees.

• Digital wallet: You can connect your PenFed credit card with your smartphone and make quick, secure payments. Use Apple Pay, Samsung Pay or Android Pay to take the hassle out of carrying a physical credit card.

by Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

PenFed Credit Cards Company Information