2. Finance

PenFed Credit Cards

PenFed Credit Cards
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.05/5

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

PenFed Credit Cards Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PenFed Credit Cards?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pentagon Federal Credit Union Credit Card?

Original review: June 24, 2020

The design of their website is really lousy. You can never get the correct information you request from their website. And their customer service is even worse. It took like forever for them to pick up your call. And they don't even have call back service. Unbelievable. After struggling with them for one whole month, I finally decided to close my checking account and saving account from them and requested all my money back. Well, that's when the real nightmare began.

First they requested me to provide identity authentication (they opened an account for one month and they claimed they didn't confirm my identity yet, think about it). I uploaded all the documents they requested through the so-called secure link emailed to me, TWICE. But I got no any response from them, no email, no call, no anything, for FIVE DAYS. And they just closed my checking account and transfer all my money to my saving account (I never requested any of these).

I still didn't receive my money back. Yes, the money is still in the bank after FIVE DAYS I uploaded all the documents they requested. So I had to make that forever waiting customer care call again. After another hours waiting time, finally some real person picked up the call. And they claimed they never received my documents. I asked her to transfer my call to the supervisor. Now the supervisor found out that my documents were already in their system. And finally the supervisor said she would mail the check to me the next day. I hope that's the last time I ever dealt with PenFed in my whole life. Because that's the worst service I ever had in my whole life and I don't want it happen again, not in this life.

Original review: June 1, 2020

Discrimination. Discrimination. Discrimination. I was pre-approved and then approved for their credit card. The computer gave me a generous term based on my credit history and my financial behavior history. I am also a current member of USAA. Then someone from the "Fraud Prevention (** people advancement prevention)" department doesn't like my racial background. Locked my saving account access and freezed the credit card. A letter said I have to "fax only" many lengthy documents, including 2 years of tax returns and all the following schedules. Who has fax machine at home nowadays? They want me to Fax a book at Office Depot in the midst of COVID-19?

Once I complained through many online posts, customer service told me I could now just upload my ID, Social security card and one utility bill from their website. Well, the "Fraud prevention (** people advancement prevention)" department have my membership login access blocked too. I don't even want the card anymore. I am now only concerned about the existing information these people already have on me... The customer services and sales reps are nice. But the people in the back office have very questionable motives...

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 22, 2020

I'd give zero stars if I could. PenFed took over my NRA account. Logged in one time, set up everything and now unable to get logging in again. The automated system is horrible, clunky, multiple options to only be put on hold for 30+ minutes regardless of the time calling even within their "open" hours. I've spoken to six people, two "supervisors" and their tech support team. Nobody is able to reset my password or provide any help to get me back into my account. Comments on their side: No we can't do that, I've never seen that, oh that error is weird, it's your browser, it's your computer, it's your phone, it is your internet provider. They are unable to link my external account to them or provide me an alternative way to pay my balance off. Is this even a real bank? Disgusted!

Original review: April 29, 2020

Need a laugh? Try to get a credit card from this credit union. They will bombard you with emails to apply because you are a member. They will email you so much and then wear you down so you apply. Even with good credit they will turn you down. Only to add a hard pull on your credit. They actually hurt your credit by applying. I have received credit from more reputable companies like Discover and Citibank. Penfed will treat you like a name on a piece of paper. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME with PenFed. This Credit Union are rude to you. Penfed please stop contacting me, I don't want to be a member anymore :-(

Original review: June 5, 2019

A long time ago they used to offer a 5% cash back card on gas purchases. Super simple. Now it looks like to get cash you have to get a gift card in the mail (dangerous, since anyone can take mail). It also looks like there is a fee to get the gift card by mail. PenFed site will not state the fees on gift card fees. With travel, it looks like you have to use their website which could easily be more expensive than Travelocity. There could also be a fee involved for booking. Why not just give cash back? I detest point systems. They are meant to trick the consumer. So confusing. They took a great card and complicated the heck out of it. The trickster creating this should be fired. Giving credit unions all over the US a bad name.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Twice I asked for their help in a dispute. One time never heard again. The second time they were so late in responding I did not know what purchase they were addressing. Buy gas with the card and nothing else. They don't help if you get in a jam.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

PenFed abruptly closed my Visa Promise card one month after opening, citing a request to verify income. They didn't ask for my income when I applied for the card and went on to freezing all of my accounts until they saw a copy of my tax return. I furnished the tax return to them and had to wait a week for them to resolve anything. Rude Risk Manager named Matt ** made matters worse. Steer clear of this Credit Union. They will violate your trust and leave you hanging.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Redeeming rewards will cost more than the item's face value. A $250 gift card redemption costs $294.10 in reward points. In other words, they steal a whopping 8.5% back from you at the time of redemption. So any reward percentage they quote you is fraudulent. Any other bank's card would be a better value, and actually honest.

Original review: May 26, 2018

Worst experience with a card ever. My bill said no payment due on a balance. Nevertheless, I submitted a payment that was a few days past the end of the period. They suspended my card, and somehow the payment, sent from my bank went to my savings account instead of the credit card. It took several long phone calls to straighten the mess out, and then they dinged my credit report as late missed payment. The customer service aspect of this organization is amateur beyond belief. They promised to review my complaint, but nothing ever happened. My revenge is leaving $5.00 in my savings account! Stay away from these clowns.

Original review: May 20, 2018

Was charged CA sales tax on a service which is non taxable and contested that charge for the amount of sales tax. Contacted Vendor for same. What amazes me is the verbatim excuse received from both Pen Fed and vendor. Even though I was not contesting the whole transaction both their responses were exactly the same, After checking with State Board of Equalization (CA) I was told the sales tax should not have been charged, therefore I was asking for a refund of the sales tax. None received. Filed a complaint with CA SBE for taxes charged for non taxable services.

Pentagon Federal Credit Union Credit Card author review by Beverly Harzog

Pentagon Federal Credit Union (PenFed) is a large American financial institution that has been around since 1935. It serves all fifty states and some international military bases. Along with other financial services, PenFed offers several Visa and American Express credit cards to members.

• Power Cash Rewards Visa®: This rewards card earns you from 1.5 to 2 percent cash back on all your purchases, with no limit on how much you can earn. It also comes with a $100 bonus statement credit if you spend $1,500 in the first 90 days.

• Platinum Rewards Visa Signature®: This card has no annual fee and allows you to earn five points per dollar spent on gas, three points per dollar on grocery and one point per dollar on everything else.

• Travel Rewards American Express®: This card lets you earn five points per dollar spent on airfare and one point per dollar spent elsewhere. You can redeem for giftcards or a variety of products like luggage or toys.

• Simple credit card options: If you prefer a card that is not a rewards card, you can choose from the PenFed Promise Visa® or the Gold VIsa®. The Promise card has no fees and was named the simplest card in America by credit.com. The Gold has no annual fees, foreign transaction or cash advance fees.

• Digital wallet: You can connect your PenFed credit card with your smartphone and make quick, secure payments. Use Apple Pay, Samsung Pay or Android Pay to take the hassle out of carrying a physical credit card.

by Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

PenFed Credit Cards Company Information