Disclosures

PenFed Credit Cards

3.6/5 (108 ratings)

About PenFed Credit Cards

PenFed Credit Cards Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pentagon Federal Credit Union Credit Card?

Original review: Dec. 14, 2022

PenFed ordered my gold card on Nov 13 and on Nov 25 told me it wasn't sent because of production delay and ask if I wanted to pay to have it expedited. I declined. On Dec 3 I was told the card was mailed on Nov 30. Today I was told the mailing address didn't have the apartment number again they want me to pay or wait another 7 days. The card is on my credit report and I have not physically received it. Who does business like this?

Original review: Dec. 7, 2022

Short term member with Penfed for about 3-4 months, applied for two credit cards and got approved. Would like a higher limit but will work on earning it over time and see. So far no complaints, the website seems shaky and outdated it would randomly kick me off the web after certain actions such as after finishing applying for a loan or credit product and I having to log back in. Other than some technicalities, no major complaints so far. This is also my 1st credit union. I hope to have a great experience and relationship.

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2022

I have been with PenFed for 20 years and never had a problem until now. My CC card transactions have not been updated since October 12th. Whatever platform or program they use is either flawed or they don't have the expertise to resolve problems in a timely manner. I was told that they (PENFED) did not have a time frame when this problem would be resolved. Transaction history between banks should be a no brainer. 6 weeks later I'm not even sure that my IT ticket has been reviewed. At one point my statements did not match the transaction history on their website or automated teller. My bank did a deep dive and informed me that this is all on the PENFED side. Both banks are comparable in their assets. This should be a normal to day to day transaction from one from bank to another and has turned into a very unreliable mess.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2022

I've been banking with PenFed for a few year now, Have a auto loan with them and 2 credit cards. I participated in a sweepstakes they were having for 10k prize, entry of sweepstakes is contingent on applying for said credit card and get approved. I applied for the credit card and was approved. Date passes sweepstakes no announcement of winner, nothing on the website dedicated to the sweepstakes, nothing on the Penfed website, you call PenFed none of the representatives know if a winner was announced. So a month later after the sweepstakes ended no one at Penfed can tell if a winner was selected. It was a Scam to get people to apply for their new credit card. Never again! Banking with them is inconvenient because there are no branches or ATM nearby.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2022

THEY WON'T LET YOU GET YOUR MONEY OUT OF YOUR ACCOUNT. I recently closed a $50,000 CD early and asked for them to transfer the funds to an external account I attached to the account. They told me they could not transfer the funds but could only transfer $5000. However, I could transfer any amount to my account. Also, if I paid them $25 they would wire the funds to the same account. What a ripoff. You have to pay to get your money out of your account. DO NOT BANK WITH PENFED. YOU WILL REGRET IT.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2022

I applied for a HELOC on my house I recently bought. Keep in mind, I had been a PenFed customer for 15 plus years already with a prior heloc I'd closed out already due to selling my prior home a few months ago. Despite my busy schedule, I spent a lot of time sending in all required docs. Then, Alex ** spoke with me and said he couldn't do the loan due to lack of enough income. I explained for the 5th time I have both employer W2 and retirement investment income - where he had the documents already. Then that same day he said he was mistaken and he could do the loan after asking his loan department person. He then said I would need to wait for an email from his underwriter or other loan person. I waited two weeks. No email. Not in spam either. Then I called back and he said, "Sorry the loan is closed." He claimed he never told me he could do the loan which was a total lie on his part. He got very snippy and rude towards me.

I called the main number and they put me with a different loan officer who looked at my file and said they could do it, no problem - but the interest rate would be over 2x the amount it was literally 2 weeks earlier! What a racket! Alex ** had such a condescending attitude, I will never deal with Penfed again due to his ideocracy. He needs to get off his high horse and lose the attitude. When I had a heloc for over 15 yrs before, they took many months to close it - but I kept it at the time due to the rate. Do not recommend. Unless, you want to be ripped off, jerked around, and treated poorly.

Resolution response: July 26, 2022

PenFed has corrected issue.

Original review: July 24, 2022

I applied for and received a credit card with a 0% 12 month interest rate on a balance transfer (3% fee). My enclosure states 12 month no interest and then 17% on UNPAID BALANCE. Any purchases would incur interest from date posted. When their site would not allow me to do the transfers, I called Penfed. To my surprise, I was told that if I did not pay the balance transfer within 12 months I would be charged interest from day 1. This is not a 0% interest rate for 12 months, this is a deferred interest for 12 months. I find it very disturbing the way Penfed does business by misleading consumers.

Original review: July 18, 2022

My separated wife took out a personal loan using my social and though my social does not match, I never received any documents, never signed any paper work and never received a call from any agent; they will not talk to me nor turn over the loan disclosures. This is highly illegal and deserves as much attention by the attorney general as Wells Fargo received. It is my guess that I am not the only person affected by this same out right theft, and the fact that they now have blocked both myself and according to my separated wife, her as well, just shows how far they will go to cover up their lack of accountability. I have filed with the attorney general and would love any input as to where to go next. I am in DFW area, not sure which branch this was done at, but companies like this are likely to have this same policy at any branch, so buyer beware.

Original review: June 15, 2022

Don't know how these people are still in business. First, there is NO ONE to contact if you have a problem. Sorry. Talk to their computers all you like. They will just keep repeating the same ridiculous message. No phone number listed on website, nothing! Got a mortgage with these losers, and NEVER AGAIN. Could not access any of my records online, and they stopped sending me invoices. I had no tax records with which to file taxes. Their computer system is from the stone ages, their "customer service" sounds like a bunch of illiterate morons who have no knowledge of any of their businesses or processes. So angry, I can't even! I hope someone reads this and saves themselves the same misery. As other reviews have said, I would give them negative ratings if I could. What a joke of an organization!!!

Original review: March 20, 2022

Both I and my wife applied for a PenFed credit card in February with a perfect credit score of 750 each, we received an approval on Feb 16 and state a credit card is in the process of being mailed and will receive it within 7 to 10 business days. I called PenFed about 12 days later only to be told it's not been mailed out and will do so straight away, I waited a week and still no card card in the mail, I called back and was informed that a card cannot be issued until a account was opened in our names separately as there were two separate applications, so we complied and open an account each with a minimum deposit of $5 each but due to the nature of the transaction I was charge a further $10 by my bank so now I am $20 down in my bank.

A week went by and there was still no card. I called PenFed again and was told that a card cannot be issued due to lack of information (Credit card security information) was needed to be filled before a credit card can be issued and I must add at this point no one has informed us that the whole process is time sensitive. We received the form via email and we printed the form, filled and signed the form and emailed to PenFed as requested, Three days go past and I received an email from PenFed stating that a card cannot be issued because I did not filled in the required information in a timely manner, the plot thickens, We were informed by the supervisor that my wife's credit card was issued on the 3/8/2022 and was definitely in the mail but not mine, so why were we told on the 14th of March that a card cannot be issued until the Credit Security Information was filled buy yet my wife's credit card was issued on the 8th and was in the mail (we still have not received it yet).

This is a Micky Mouse company that does not know how to conduct business in a timely manner and value its customers. Walt Disney does a better job than this. The Supervisor advised me that due to federal laws a credit pull is only valid for a month and they will need to pull another credit If I wanted to apply again for a credit card and they would ask the credit company to withdraw my first inquiry and that would take anywhere up to 2 months to square up with the credit bureau.

I started another application and While I was applying another credit pull was initiated by PenFed without my consent and that when I stopped my application and decided to write this review. I have applied for credit before and I have never experience an Incompetence company that does not have any structure in its process. I have lost points on my credit file, wasted my time and money on a company that does not value its customers' valued time, money or points they have worked hard to gain with the credit bureau, all they want is an account to be opened and try to claw more money from the customer. Join this company at your own peril, you have been warned.

Pentagon Federal Credit Union Credit Card author review by Danni White

Pentagon Federal Credit Union (PenFed) is a large American financial institution that has been around since 1935. It serves all fifty states and some international military bases. Along with other financial services, PenFed offers several Visa and American Express credit cards to members.

• Power Cash Rewards Visa®: This rewards card earns you from 1.5 to 2 percent cash back on all your purchases, with no limit on how much you can earn. It also comes with a $100 bonus statement credit if you spend $1,500 in the first 90 days.

• Platinum Rewards Visa Signature®: This card has no annual fee and allows you to earn five points per dollar spent on gas, three points per dollar on grocery and one point per dollar on everything else.

• Travel Rewards American Express®: This card lets you earn five points per dollar spent on airfare and one point per dollar spent elsewhere. You can redeem for giftcards or a variety of products like luggage or toys.

• Simple credit card options: If you prefer a card that is not a rewards card, you can choose from the PenFed Promise Visa® or the Gold VIsa®. The Promise card has no fees and was named the simplest card in America by credit.com. The Gold has no annual fees, foreign transaction or cash advance fees.

• Digital wallet: You can connect your PenFed credit card with your smartphone and make quick, secure payments. Use Apple Pay, Samsung Pay or Android Pay to take the hassle out of carrying a physical credit card.

by Danni White ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Danni White is committed to providing valuable resources designed to help consumers make informed purchase decisions. Danni specializes in content strategy and development, with over a decade of professional writing and research experience.

PenFed Credit Cards Company Information