Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
PenFed Credit Cards
3.66/5

PenFed Credit Cards

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

PenFed Credit Cards Reviews

Original review: June 5, 2019

A long time ago they used to offer a 5% cash back card on gas purchases. Super simple. Now it looks like to get cash you have to get a gift card in the mail (dangerous, since anyone can take mail). It also looks like there is a fee to get the gift card by mail. PenFed site will not state the fees on gift card fees. With travel, it looks like you have to use their website which could easily be more expensive than Travelocity. There could also be a fee involved for booking. Why not just give cash back? I detest point systems. They are meant to trick the consumer. So confusing. They took a great card and complicated the heck out of it. The trickster creating this should be fired. Giving credit unions all over the US a bad name.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Twice I asked for their help in a dispute. One time never heard again. The second time they were so late in responding I did not know what purchase they were addressing. Buy gas with the card and nothing else. They don't help if you get in a jam.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

PenFed abruptly closed my Visa Promise card one month after opening, citing a request to verify income. They didn't ask for my income when I applied for the card and went on to freezing all of my accounts until they saw a copy of my tax return. I furnished the tax return to them and had to wait a week for them to resolve anything. Rude Risk Manager named Matt ** made matters worse. Steer clear of this Credit Union. They will violate your trust and leave you hanging.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Redeeming rewards will cost more than the item's face value. A $250 gift card redemption costs $294.10 in reward points. In other words, they steal a whopping 8.5% back from you at the time of redemption. So any reward percentage they quote you is fraudulent. Any other bank's card would be a better value, and actually honest.

Original review: May 26, 2018

Worst experience with a card ever. My bill said no payment due on a balance. Nevertheless, I submitted a payment that was a few days past the end of the period. They suspended my card, and somehow the payment, sent from my bank went to my savings account instead of the credit card. It took several long phone calls to straighten the mess out, and then they dinged my credit report as late missed payment. The customer service aspect of this organization is amateur beyond belief. They promised to review my complaint, but nothing ever happened. My revenge is leaving $5.00 in my savings account! Stay away from these clowns.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pentagon Federal Credit Union Credit Card?

Original review: May 20, 2018

Was charged CA sales tax on a service which is non taxable and contested that charge for the amount of sales tax. Contacted Vendor for same. What amazes me is the verbatim excuse received from both Pen Fed and vendor. Even though I was not contesting the whole transaction both their responses were exactly the same, After checking with State Board of Equalization (CA) I was told the sales tax should not have been charged, therefore I was asking for a refund of the sales tax. None received. Filed a complaint with CA SBE for taxes charged for non taxable services.

Original review: May 11, 2018

PenFed is despicable. I was approved for a credit card in the morning. By evening my approval has been rescinded. First I was told I can accept the $1000 I was approved for or if I would like an increase I should send in my income documents. Once I did they said it was fake and subsequently rescinded my approval. My income documents are genuine documents and are used for tax purposes with the government. I went back and spoke with a supervisor who promised to call me back and even left me his number and seem genuinely committed to helping me reverse the course of events. But it’s been two weeks there’s been no call from him even after I left him several messages to call me back. I am dumbfounded.

Original review: March 1, 2018

Claiming that PenFed has customer service is a little like saying that North Korea has a Bill of Rights: it ain't so and it's not likely to happen!! Actually, I feel bad for the poor PenFed souls that struggle with PenFed's unhappy customers: they seem willing but appear strapped for the necessary resources and power to do anything meaningful. After over 25 years as a customer, I closed my last credit card with PenFed today. Following this action, I made a simple request, "Kindly email a written confirmation that this credit card account is closed".

The response, "oh dear, I'm not sure we can do that; can I put you on hold to see if an email by can be sent to you?" After nearly four years of struggling with an increasingly outsourced organization, I'm exhausted this and similar requests for service! And by the way, don't try to provide PenFed a travel notice the day prior to departure: they need at least THREE business days to initiate this action! AVOID THIS ORGANIZATION AT ALL COSTS: CONSIDER NAVY FEDERAL CREDIT UNION (so far, they DO have real customer service)!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

Penfed Credit Union Platinum Credit Card Rewards - We finally redeemed our points on 1/6/2018. Still waiting for any information regarding the delivery. I called for a trace a week ago, still nothing. Unacceptable.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

PenFed Travel Rewards - They offer 5X on all purchases but the amount of miles required to purchase a ticket is 5X on what the airline(s) actually require. You are better off with an American Express Platinum Card, which will give you 5X on Airline Ticket purchases. 1 for each $ spent on other purchases. You can then transfer up to 200,000 reward points per year to Delta, for example. Don't know what other airlines do but that works best for me. So this is a much better deal than what PenFed is offering and significantly easier to redeem.

Pentagon Federal Credit Union Credit Card expert review by Beverly Harzog

Pentagon Federal Credit Union (PenFed) is a large American financial institution that has been around since 1935. It serves all fifty states and some international military bases. Along with other financial services, PenFed offers several Visa and American Express credit cards to members.

• Power Cash Rewards Visa®: This rewards card earns you from 1.5 to 2 percent cash back on all your purchases, with no limit on how much you can earn. It also comes with a $100 bonus statement credit if you spend $1,500 in the first 90 days.

• Platinum Rewards Visa Signature®: This card has no annual fee and allows you to earn five points per dollar spent on gas, three points per dollar on grocery and one point per dollar on everything else.

• Travel Rewards American Express®: This card lets you earn five points per dollar spent on airfare and one point per dollar spent elsewhere. You can redeem for giftcards or a variety of products like luggage or toys.

• Simple credit card options: If you prefer a card that is not a rewards card, you can choose from the PenFed Promise Visa® or the Gold VIsa®. The Promise card has no fees and was named the simplest card in America by credit.com. The Gold has no annual fees, foreign transaction or cash advance fees.

• Digital wallet: You can connect your PenFed credit card with your smartphone and make quick, secure payments. Use Apple Pay, Samsung Pay or Android Pay to take the hassle out of carrying a physical credit card.

• Best for: Pentagon Federal Credit Union members.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

PenFed Credit Cards Company Information