Pentagon Federal Credit Union Credit Cards
1.45/5
Based on 20 reviews that contain star ratings

Looking for a great Credit Card?

Pentagon Federal Credit Union Credit Cards

23 Pentagon Federal Credit Union Credit Cards Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Redeeming rewards will cost more than the item's face value. A $250 gift card redemption costs $294.10 in reward points. In other words, they steal a whopping 8.5% back from you at the time of redemption. So any reward percentage they quote you is fraudulent. Any other bank's card would be a better value, and actually honest.

Original review: May 26, 2018

Worst experience with a card ever. My bill said no payment due on a balance. Nevertheless, I submitted a payment that was a few days past the end of the period. They suspended my card, and somehow the payment, sent from my bank went to my savings account instead of the credit card. It took several long phone calls to straighten the mess out, and then they dinged my credit report as late missed payment. The customer service aspect of this organization is amateur beyond belief. They promised to review my complaint, but nothing ever happened. My revenge is leaving $5.00 in my savings account! Stay away from these clowns.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 20, 2018

Was charged CA sales tax on a service which is non taxable and contested that charge for the amount of sales tax. Contacted Vendor for same. What amazes me is the verbatim excuse received from both Pen Fed and vendor. Even though I was not contesting the whole transaction both their responses were exactly the same, After checking with State Board of Equalization (CA) I was told the sales tax should not have been charged, therefore I was asking for a refund of the sales tax. None received. Filed a complaint with CA SBE for taxes charged for non taxable services.

Original review: May 11, 2018

PenFed is despicable. I was approved for a credit card in the morning. By evening my approval has been rescinded. First I was told I can accept the $1000 I was approved for or if I would like an increase I should send in my income documents. Once I did they said it was fake and subsequently rescinded my approval. My income documents are genuine documents and are used for tax purposes with the government. I went back and spoke with a supervisor who promised to call me back and even left me his number and seem genuinely committed to helping me reverse the course of events. But it’s been two weeks there’s been no call from him even after I left him several messages to call me back. I am dumbfounded.

Original review: March 1, 2018

Claiming that PenFed has customer service is a little like saying that North Korea has a Bill of Rights: it ain't so and it's not likely to happen!! Actually, I feel bad for the poor PenFed souls that struggle with PenFed's unhappy customers: they seem willing but appear strapped for the necessary resources and power to do anything meaningful. After over 25 years as a customer, I closed my last credit card with PenFed today. Following this action, I made a simple request, "Kindly email a written confirmation that this credit card account is closed".

The response, "oh dear, I'm not sure we can do that; can I put you on hold to see if an email by can be sent to you?" After nearly four years of struggling with an increasingly outsourced organization, I'm exhausted this and similar requests for service! And by the way, don't try to provide PenFed a travel notice the day prior to departure: they need at least THREE business days to initiate this action! AVOID THIS ORGANIZATION AT ALL COSTS: CONSIDER NAVY FEDERAL CREDIT UNION (so far, they DO have real customer service)!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pentagon Federal Credit Union Credit Card?

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

Penfed Credit Union Platinum Credit Card Rewards - We finally redeemed our points on 1/6/2018. Still waiting for any information regarding the delivery. I called for a trace a week ago, still nothing. Unacceptable.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

PenFed Travel Rewards - They offer 5X on all purchases but the amount of miles required to purchase a ticket is 5X on what the airline(s) actually require. You are better off with an American Express Platinum Card, which will give you 5X on Airline Ticket purchases. 1 for each $ spent on other purchases. You can then transfer up to 200,000 reward points per year to Delta, for example. Don't know what other airlines do but that works best for me. So this is a much better deal than what PenFed is offering and significantly easier to redeem.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

5 years after BK they approved me for a Visa card after multiple denials. Credit limit was $1000. 2 years later I asked for a credit increase and got approved for $17,500. Rate is about 11% with no cash advance fees. Easy to transfer up to $5000 between accounts online daily. A premium card that can only help your credit score.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2017

PenFed has the worse website I have ever encountered, very hard to navigate, not user-friendly at all. They could take some lessons from the other credit card companies. A lot of bogus charges and interest rate too high. Will be closing this card out very soon. The statements are hard to read, no beginning balance, payment ending balance, it is a guessing game. Called customer service to get my balance. She quoted me a higher balance than on statement. Do not trust this credit union. Will be paying off and closing and good riddance.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2016

I've been with Penfed about 6 months. Since then I have 1 credit card and a bill consolidation loan (which is about paid off); I recently applied for an increase in credit line on my card and was denied!!! I did a recon and still denied!!! My problem is this... Penfed is extending 10k in credit to those with a past bankruptcy and they only give me 3k.

I have no negative accounts, no late payments, good account length history and my only inquiries are those from mortgage shopping. I make about 75k a year and DTI is well below their thresh hold. I joined because my friend (one with the bankruptcy who was approved for 10k on a 31k salary) said great things about them. But I have received all negative experiences. The reps aren't of any help and claim to be getting supervisors who say the exact thing they did (scripted). I just am appalled. I can't get a CLI when my credit report is in awesome shape... how does a bank trust those with bankruptcy showing but not those with no negative accounts or payments? I'm considering closing all these accounts and going elsewhere.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2016

This credit union is the worse ever. They made me submit tax returns when I tried to update my credit card info. They also made me make a payment on my card before I could use it. Once I made the payment of $115 dollars they still wouldn't allow me to use my card and it was only 7 days after the due date. They say it's all for your protection due to fraud when they are the one that's committing fraud.

Resolution response: Feb. 27, 2017

Sorry for a late update. I almost forgot it. I got a phone call from a manager of Pentagon Federal Credit Union and got my credit finally. She sincerely apologize for all inconveniences due to internal technical errors they had and gave me credit card very timely. Her attitude touched me a lot and even making a better impression. We all make mistakes, but hard to apologize sincerely. Saying is easy but doing is different. However, it's powerful and changes a lot when you have courage. Thank you,

Original review: Sept. 5, 2016

I got a credit card approval July 24th, but still cannot get credit card yet on labor day (9/5/2016). I called more than 4 times to their customer service including today, they kept saying the card would be your home 7~10 days. I got fed up with their same comments. I spent $5 for opening checking account and $14 for charity for military communities. I don't mind donating who served military, but do mind their very unprofessional customer service. I have very good credit score and already have several credit cards from major banks. I never had this issue before. Highly disappointed and very bad impression on them!!! They treat valued card member like this and get salary? What a nonsense to me. They should have taken a lesson or training what's customer service... They wasted my time with the same issue more than 4 times. If it's their best, shame on them.

Original review: May 25, 2016

Not sure what all the negatives are about. I have had nothing but wonderful experiences with them. I initially joined because I wanted a credit card and a place to stash some savings. Application was approved within one day. I really like the fact that they actually review your credit report and not just go by a score. Then I noticed they had debt consolidation loans. Same deal, applied and approved within a day. They helped me cut more than 1/3 of my monthly expenses by consolidating my credit cards. I only have moderate credit too. The only thing that was weird was when I applied for the loan. I anticipated being shown a loan offer (amount, interest rate, payment amount) after which I would approve/decline, but before I knew it the check was mailed. I've yet to run into an unfriendly CSR either. Would recommend.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2015

At first, I was very impressed by PenFed. I applied for a car loan with them, it was handled incredibly smoothly and entirely online. Then, after some experience, they offered me a low interest credit card with a $20,000 credit line. Again, I was very impressed and managed entirely online and seamlessly. I transferred some of my higher interest balances over to their card and almost immediately afterwards - they closed the account. Their stated reason was that my credit score fell below their guidelines. Perhaps that happened - but the amazing part is, once they 'close' your account - they make it impossible for you to pay your account online - you'll have to write out a paper check and mail it in the old fashioned way.

To add insult to injury, until your balance is completely paid off - it sits on your credit report as 100% of your available credit being used - thereby further damaging your credit score which was their supposed reason for closing your account in the first place. In my opinion, they're as bad as any of the big banks that we hear so much about. I can't wait to get rid of them.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2015

They froze my card, I called the service center - waited on hold about twenty minutes or so answered all of their questions (wasted another 10 minutes) then was transferred to the credit card security department. Where I was on hold for 30-35 minutes MORE. Answered about 5-6 questions and couldn't answer my member number as my log in to the website is a personalized one so I never use it. I asked is there anything else you can ask - "no we need your member number" so we can't unlock your card. I offered up other info that was more personal such as other accounts I have with PFCU or other family members that have accounts - no the member number only. Totally stupid.

So I asked if they could just close the account (more than 90 minutes wasted with both people I talked to here). They said NO I would have to call their card service center. I called back got the same idiot named Aden who was totally unaware what the term customer service meant - he could care less about my frustration. I closed two credit cards with him and said when I could log in I would be closing all accounts with PFCU - he was jovial saying oh sure I can close the credit cards and he closed a card I did NOT ask to close and he had to put me on hold to reverse the closing.

Didn't want to close it because I had a balance on it and I had hoped someone at PFCU with even the slightest notion of what customer service means would contact me. It's been a few days - nothing. Keep in mind I have over $50k on deposit in IRA CD's with these idiots - which I plan on moving one by one to another financial institution that has a clue what "member service" or "customer service" actually means.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2014

I paid $22000 for my charge off accounts to be paid in full. Credit Union Mr. ** and Terry ** (Proctor) sent letter stating accounts settled in full as of Jun 2009. Continue to list charge off amounts of $3,741 and $27,978 which does not reflect payment and agreement. Someone misappropriated the money or ? I have attempted numerous times to straighten this out with the Pentagon Federal Credit Union, and Nation Wide Credit Corp, their collection reporting and the credit bureaus, NCUA and Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. Contacting legal for legal actions in progress.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2013

VERY DECEPTIVE!!! BE WARY. Their credit card that gives 5% back on gas and 3% back on groceries actually is FAR less. When you try to cash in those points, they tack on a 900 point fee per each $50 gift card. In other cards for 5000 points, you get a $50 card BUT with PenFed, you need to use 5900 points to get a $50 card. From there, it just gets worse in value should you get 'other' rewards. This really seems to be cheating their customers... and the bulk of their customers are military so they are shafting their own troops!!

When you call to redeem points, be prepared for hassles galore, starting with their phone messaging. They have their bases covered with answers like some good con-man who is running a shady deal. They keep the ball rolling according to THEIR agenda and not yours. Their banking is not much better. They nickel and dime you for everything... $1 paper statements, $5 to pay your bill by the phone. Their computer system and phone system are antiquated and about the worst I have seen for a financial company. What do they do with all these charges here and there, credit unions are not subject to the same taxation, etc. that banks are. They are money making machines... at YOUR expense. When you get down to it, you are getting around 4% net back on gas and not 5%, and on groceries 2% net, not 3%.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2013

Been with PFCU for 30 years but now time to leave for another credit union. They want to force me to receive electronic credit card statements. If I don't sign up they are charging me $1.00 per month. Although it isn't much, it is the principle that PFCU is making money off of my use of their credit card yet they want to force me to do something I don't want to. Really arrogant and quite frankly just poor customer service. They no longer seem to care about their customers.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2013

I've had a PenFed Credit Union credit card for almost 4 years. Today (9-6-13) I checked my rewards balance and was shocked to discover they had abruptly and without warning changed the rewards redemption last month - dropping the value by about 20% (or over $70 for me). In the cardholder agreement, they state they have a right to change or cancel the program at their discretion. I understand that is their right, but I would have thought they would have at least had the integrity and customer care to a) be transparent in such changes, and b) provide at least the courtesy of a month (or even a day) warning of the change. Apparently PenFed has neither integrity nor courtesy for their customers. Beware!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2013

PenFed is a scam. I wish I read these reviews before I decided to apply for a credit card. Long story short, I have excellent credit. My score is about 800 and have never been turned down for a card in my life. They will ask you to donate money to apply for a card, but then deny you for no reason. I'm sure they keep that money you donate to a "charity" of choice. I would love to sue them for false advertising. Stay away. You have been warned.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2010

Pentagon Federal Credit Union has established a policy of switching credit card accounts to paperless without the customer's authorization. This has happened to me twice this year. Each time I called to have that switched back, the representative informed me that PFCU has numerous complaints. That maybe true, but they aren't doing anything about them.

If you don't get your statement, you may not have a reminder to pay the bill and therefore have late fees and credit report issues.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2009

Cash back Rewards - I bought a Dell computer that I needed. Pentagon Federal Credit Union offered 5% cash back at Dell, so I used my PenFed card. When I got statement, it was credited at a regular 1.25%. Here we are 60 days after purchase and I'm still trying to get my 5% cash back. I wonder how many people have been scammed and don't check this.

Original review: June 12, 2009

Stay away from PenFed! My purpose in joining PenFed Credit Union was to obtain the benefits of a PenFed credit card. This $20 that they now describe as a "donation" was described to me as an account activation fee for nonmilitary members. After opening the account, I was informed that the credit card would be "in the mail." After a month of waiting for the credit card which never arrived, I contacted PenFed. I was told that I now have to submit two years of tax returns in order to be considered for a credit card.

PenFed was aware from the outset that my purpose in opening an account with them was to obtain a PenFed credit card. I assumed that my credit record (well over 800) was checked at the time of applying for the prerequisite savings account. I was never informed that I would have to submit tax records as a condition for obtaining a credit card. I have never been asked for tax records to obtain a credit card, and I have never been denied a credit card. Requesting tax records from me--and only after I had to call them a month after I was supposed to have received this card--is highly irregular and suspicious. I feel that the entire process of obtaining a credit card from PenFed has been misrepresented to me.

Pentagon Federal Credit Union Credit Card expert review by Beverly Harzog

Pentagon Federal Credit Union (PenFed) is a large American financial institution that has been around since 1935. It serves all fifty states and some international military bases. Along with other financial services, PenFed offers several Visa and American Express credit cards to members.

• Power Cash Rewards Visa®: This rewards card earns you from 1.5 to 2 percent cash back on all your purchases, with no limit on how much you can earn. It also comes with a $100 bonus statement credit if you spend $1,500 in the first 90 days.

• Platinum Rewards Visa Signature®: This card has no annual fee and allows you to earn five points per dollar spent on gas, three points per dollar on grocery and one point per dollar on everything else.

• Travel Rewards American Express®: This card lets you earn five points per dollar spent on airfare and one point per dollar spent elsewhere. You can redeem for giftcards or a variety of products like luggage or toys.

• Simple credit card options: If you prefer a card that is not a rewards card, you can choose from the PenFed Promise Visa® or the Gold VIsa®. The Promise card has no fees and was named the simplest card in America by credit.com. The Gold has no annual fees, foreign transaction or cash advance fees.

• Digital wallet: You can connect your PenFed credit card with your smartphone and make quick, secure payments. Use Apple Pay, Samsung Pay or Android Pay to take the hassle out of carrying a physical credit card.

• Best for: Pentagon Federal Credit Union members.

Profile picture of Beverly Harzog
    Beverly Harzog Credit Cards Contributing Editor

Beverly Harzog is a nationally-recognized credit card expert, consumer advocate and author. She’s appeared on Fox News, CNN Newsource, NBC New York and more. Her advice has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Money Magazine, CNNMoney.com, The New York Times, Kiplinger, Real Simple, Time.com, Family Circle and much more.

Pentagon Federal Credit Union Credit Cards Company Information