2. Finance
  3. Personal Loans

formerly Springleaf Financial

3.9/5 (3397 ratings)
Compare Offers on Personal Loan Pro

You deserve a great loan.

Receive personal loan offers in minutes on Personal Loan Pro

Get started

About OneMain Financial

OneMain Financial offers personal loans online and at 1,500 physical locations in 44 states. Customers can choose between unsecured personal loans, secured personal loans and auto loans. You can secure your personal loan with an automobile, RV or boat. In many cases, loans are available the same day you’re approved. OneMain Financial offers loans from $1,500 to $20,000.

Pros

• Flexible term lengths
  • Secured and unsecured loans
  • Loans from $1,500 to $20,000

Cons

• Charges an origination fee

Bottom Line

OneMain Financial offers secured and unsecured loans with APRs up to 35.99% and terms up to 60 months. OneMain loans have fixed rates and payments and no prepayment penalties.

You deserve a great loan.

Receive personal loan offers in minutes on Personal Loan Pro

Get started

OneMain Financial Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OneMain Financial?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about OneMain Financial?

Original review: June 8, 2019

I went researching for a loan, for people with less than perfect credit. I had gotten a phone call from OneMain Financial. I don't borrow what I can't afford, so when the guy on the phone asked me how much I was looking for laughed when I said, just $500, I told him, that I would take the full $3,000, that they approved me for. GREAT! But, I was told, that I had to purchase insurance at $200, and once this was paid, the $3,000 plus the $200 I paid for the insurance. I asked several times that, once I paid the $200, would the money be transferred into my account, they said yes.

About 40 minutes into my phone call with them yesterday, I was told that I needed to pay $1,000 in state taxes for the State of Colorado. I have NEVER had to pay money, to get money. This leads me to think, that it was a scam. I had given them my last $200 in my pocket and still Cathy, who sounds like she's from the Middle East (as did EVERY PERSON that I spoke with did), didn't even care when I told her that I had just given them my last dollars. When I told her, Cathy, that I called Colorado Department of Revenue, she became upset and asked why did I call them. She accused me of yelling at her, which I didn't. I was, however, upset, that I was lied to about the money, after paying the insurance portion. It seems they deal in shady business.

Original review: May 31, 2019

I took a loan out to consolidate some bills The interest rate was awful. On top of that DAILY finance charges. I took out a loan through a different company. First thing I did was go to OneMain to see what it was today. Manager said that is ONLY good for today. Went to my bank. Got a cashier's check. Went directly back to OneMain and paid them off. Can't wait like others to get my pink slip back on my truck. I would give this company a negative star, but that's not an option! So long OneMain! Never again!!

Original review: May 30, 2019

They are a joke. I have dealt with multiple loan companies and never had such a runaround. They popped up on Credit Karma as a loan company I could get approved for and when I filled out the application it said I was approved for a $4000 loan. However I needed to call them so I did. I was told I needed a cosigner. Talked with my fiancé (who by the way had no trouble getting a AR loan for $40,000). He said he would cosign. They turned him down. Said he didnt have enough credit. His mother then said she would cosign for me (she has great credit). When she called them to give her information they couldnt find my application.

I called and had to give them her information as they mysterious found my application again. I was told I would receive a call with the outcome, I waited and waited until 3pm the next day to call them and was told it takes time. Was called back at 3:15 needing more information on myself. Gave it to her, she called back 20 minutes later saying I was declined. They are a joke.

Original review: May 30, 2019

You know what? You go to OneMain because you can’t get a loan anywhere else. You have bad credit it’s your fault. I went to the branch in Cordova Tennessee. The interest was high yes. But that’s because I have bad credit. They did take a title but that is collateral, again I have bad credit. There were no surprises. Read the contract. Make sure you have equity in a vehicle. 24% is high but not as high as a title loan. I had to give collateral on a different loan I have with a bank. I am very pleased and I’m going to pay it off quick.

Original review: May 30, 2019

My loan was with Springleaf at the time before it converted to OneMain Financial. My loan was for $1500 but to OneMain it was $2000 but spent paying $84.95 for a period of more than 3 years, my loan was in 2014 and I am still paying for it. Since the conversion between Springleaf and OneMain there is no contract stating how many months was my loan for. Plus the interest charges varies every month.

Original review: May 29, 2019

Nice people here working very efficiently, but this company thrives off the poor and desperate using predatory tactics. I was approved yet I declined their loan as I was expected to pay 29k for a 14k loan. Pro: you will get a loan. Con: a very very expensive loan, they will lie on the phone to get you on site in person. I do not recommend this company.

Original review: May 27, 2019

Back in 2003 I got a loan to help with some home improvement and then I became disabled my disability insurance thru OneMain formerly HFC. Paid my payments which was wonderful until I found out thru dunning me they never stopped the finance charges and late fees that now has affected my credit score. I have begged and asked for info and to clear these charges but they will not budge on it. They harass me by phone and mail with threatening msgs. I would never use these companies again.

Original review: May 24, 2019

I was in trouble financially and needed a short term loan. I had good credit, but needed the money fast. I didn't have the option of turning to family or friends. What they came back with was an outrageous interest rate and forced me to bundle a present car loan into the package. The origination fee was obscene and the terms ridiculous! Later, to add insult to injury, I received a registered letter from their corporate attorney because the person I was dealing with at the Layton location accused me of threatening her. First, that would be totally out of character and second, She totally fabricated the entire incident. BTW, my wife was in the car and said she witnessed no such activity. I will not ever use them again and I would strongly encourage all who read this to find another way. OneMain Financial is a predator and not worthy of your business! Try something else! Horrible business with horrible people!

Original review: May 16, 2019

This is a con job to get and sell your personal information. You are told for five screens that you are approved. On the 6th screen you are told to upload your supplemental documents. Immediately after uploading, you are told that you are not approved. It is less than a second and the documents are pdf so no way they actually looked at them. It is a con for your personal information. The five star reviews are fake and from India. Do not apply to this company.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I was pre selected for a loan. All the different amounts were posted with the payments I have to pay back. When I spoke to a loan officer the only thing he offered was to take my SUV and pay it off for 53 months. First of all I didn't request to do a refinance. Why would I refinance my truck? Give you my title and start all over again. High interest rates 35-36 percent. No matter what your credit score is. This company is a RIP off. I don't recommend you paying out a loan with high interest rates.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Hate this company. I fell behind with them on a $6,000 loan and no way they would work with me. Instead of working with me, they sent me to collections! Now I have two marks on my credit report from this loan shark company. If you need money----don't and I repeat don't use them.

Original review: May 12, 2019

They were very polite and professional... Did not make the process of getting a loan. Complicated nor confusing...my experience was quick and simple. I provided the documents they requested, provided a few signatures and I was on my way. The following morning the funds were deposited in my checking account.

Original review: April 26, 2019

I took out a $7600 loan with a 35% interest rate. I was not aware that this was a daily interest bearing loan. My loan summary that I receive each month gives me a $7000ish balance. But when I called OneMain Financial they told me my balance was $14,035. That's about 83% interest. I called and inquired about the balance and interest. That's when I learned that the daily rates was $6.35 plus the 35%. This company not only deceives their customer, they deceived their investors also. Perfect example of predatory lending. Those who gave a favorable review probably were paid to do so or they are current employees. They are awful, so please don't take out a loan from them. You will be sooo regretfully sorry. They will reap for cheating their customers.

Original review: April 20, 2019

Everyone was very nice and professional, from the phone calls to in person. One person even saw that my phone had died and lended me a charger while I was there. Excellent experience! Will definitely go back!

Original review: April 18, 2019

Helpful staff and very professional. Took less time than anticipated. I got my loan done in no time and the process is very simple. All I really needed was a paycheck stub to bring in. I was done in no time at all.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Was told that they were going to move my loan date up to match my check deposit dates. Did not happen. So now I am paying a late charge to OneMain plus a overdraft charge to my bank. I think the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. They got to get together on the system to get this stopped. I mean they ARE on the same computer systems.

Original review: April 15, 2019

The company is a BIG JOKE, Don't waste your time! The customer service did not speak good English. They stated I was pre-qualified but at a later time they told me that I was not qualified. No wonder they have a low score on their rating! DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME! TRUST ME.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I called the main office and submitted all my required paperwork and they told me I was approved for an unsecured loan of $9,200 and told to go to their local office to sign loan and receive check. The local office called me and said the main office entered my income incorrectly and now after they reviewed the income the loan was lowered and they wanted to add my car as collateral! The main office assured me I was approved and that the loan was final. This company is a BAIT AND SWITCH company and should be reported for unfair practices! BEWARE. THE FINAL AMOUNT FOR LOAN IS NEVER THE SAME!!! LIES, LIES, LIES!!! They should be ashamed of their services and yes they all are aware of what they are doing because they are ALL trained to do business this way!!!

Original review: April 2, 2019

I already have a loan with this company and have for several years. They call multiple times a year trying to lend you more money. This time they called with "Great News" that I qualify for at least $3,000.00 more. I have had to run my credit cards up lately for some personal reasons, so I thought this would be a good way to pay them down and consolidate. Well, after calling them back, they wanted my truck as collateral (I have unsecured loan with them right now), so obviously I told them that wasn't going to happen. They ran my credit to get to this determination, meaning that it will drop a little again.

Even with all of the purchases that I have made lately, my credit score is still in the mid 600s and BTW, I am on automatic payment, so I have never even been one day late with this company, or any other for that matter. I had heard horror stories like this in the past about OneMain, and now I see it. Unless you want many phone calls telling you that you "qualify" for more money when you actually don't, then stay away from this company.

Original review: April 1, 2019

I went with this company because of Credit Karma. We got an loan from them with a high-interest rate not knowing that we could do better. We got the loan and find out through our credit union that the interest rate was way too high. They got us an interest rate at half of what OneMain was offering. So we went with our credit union. Had to pay back way more. Just got an letter the other day saying we still owe them over 400.00. Mind you we only had the loan for like 10 days before going with our credit union. Please be very careful with OneMain. They make it sound good but not true. OneMain is stealing from people when they need the help the most. Please don't go with this company. Talk to your bank first or credit union. I bet they could do better. I have learn the hard way.

Original review: April 1, 2019

This company refuses to delete negative remarks on my credit for an account that is paid in full and closed. They just keep giving me the run around on the phone when it seems pretty simple. I regret using this company for anything. Bad customer service.

Original review: March 31, 2019

Applied for loan, given $8000 for personal unsecured, $17,000 secured. Went thru process, needed co-signer which provided only $8000 personal + required adding my 2018 Toyota C-HR Premier to obtain the $8000. Told approved, appointment set to close deal 3-29-19 at Coral Springs Florida location. Went through ALL required signing, when asked about 1st payment due date, loan amount NO LONGER $8000, NOW UNDER $5000! BAIT & SWITCH!!!

Original review: March 23, 2019

I was in the market for a used vehicle, but was unable to get financing (I'm a new immigrant) due to my short credit and employment history. Through LendingTree, I found a lender OneMain Financial (Jackson MI), I was contacted by a Ms. Mikayla ** in 10min or less of applying online. Ms. Mikayla helped me or should I say ensured I get the loan as she understood my situation. I highly recommend OneMain Financial Jackson MI to anyone who needs help getting back on track!

Original review: March 22, 2019

Applying for a loan with LendingTree I was approved for a loan with OneMain financial for a collateral loan. I get a call on Monday from a rep at the Athens, TN office of OneMain. We discuss my situation with low credit and income and the only way I could do collateral would be for them to buy the car I was looking at buying she said we can do that. We talked about things a bit more and with my income she didn't want to run credit.

I call back a few days later and asked about adding a cosigner. She said that would work but I had also had explained that my cosigner also had low income and credit. She said, "It would be fine just. Have your cosigner give me a call." Now we have a hard hit on credit with no explanation as to why it wasn't approved. She said the application was kicked out of the system. That makes no sense to me. I think she shouldn't have run credit noting the credit and income situation. It's not a good company to have employees that don't know what they are doing. Don't use them for any reason.

Original review: March 20, 2019

Was approved then go through everything. Then told wasn't... I first applied for a loan without putting anything up. They switched it to having to put my car up which was fine. Then after was told I was approved then have me go through everything. When it was time to go in going to tell me I didn't meet the guilds fully... Waste of time.

Original review: March 20, 2019

Applied for personal loan of $3000.00 for 2nd car to get new car off the road for a while, Decent credit score. Approved for $10,000.00. Requested interest rate info after all docs submitted and approved, told 35%. I said that's the max for GA, she said, "Well you can pay off credit cards," LOL, I said all 3 combined balances are less than $125.00... She said, "Well you have student loans," LOL, I said NOT paying 35% interest on student loans, I said, "Ok, just loan me the $3000.00 I originally asked for." She said our minimum is $3100.00 at which time I said, "No thank you."

I realized that their corrupted game is to MAX OUT interest rate laws in whatever state they operating in because in GA, personal loan interest rate should not exceed 17% if it is $3000.00 or less (unless put in writing). CREDIT KARMA, you should be ashamed for promoting this predatory lender. Think I will just delete my CK account and stick with my Credit Wise acct with Capitol One to manage/monitor my credit.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I have used OneMain Financial several times. The employees was so kind and very understanding of my credit situation. I needed my loan to pay a few bills. The only THING that I DISLIKE about this company is how they harass me with calls a day after the due day. If there is a grace period WHY do you have to call me every month. If I am 30 days behind then I would understand the calls. All you have to do is look at my payment history and see that I make a payment two or three days before the due date. I can't wait until my loan is paid off.

Original review: March 14, 2019

This location is horrible. Very unprofessional staff and most are not very well versed in their jobs! Stay away from this location! I went elsewhere! Alley was not knowledgeable about loans nor was she very professional over the phone! Was put on hold several times for no reason. Finally I hung up and went went another company and that process was wonderful!

Original review: March 12, 2019

Took out a loan, consolidated some debt, the loan ended up being a title loan. I have been paying on it for almost 2 years now, coming directly out of my account. Well, now my vehicle is not repairable and they will not release the lien so I can junk the car. I was told they had to run my credit again to see if they can release the lien. What kind of ** is that, you want my credit to take a hard hit so you can tell me whether or not you will release the lien. It doesn't matter to them that I have been paying on this loan for almost 2 years now, money comes directly out of my account and I have never been late. I didn't ask you to dismiss the loan. Just release lien so I can junk the car.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Anyone who currently have or had a loan from these crooks need to request a copy ASAP. FROM THEIR OWN SITE. Principal Balance X (Annual Interest Rate/ Year Count) X Number of Days Since Last Payment. $6,000 X (24.36% 365) X 31 = $124.13 Standard Monthly Payment Amount – Monthly Interest Due. What I SHOULD be paying. Principal Balance $3100 x (24.36% 365) X 31 = $64.13. What I am being charged? $180.48 3X the amount! I am contacting every agency with this discovery. You may also be a victim and if they refuse your request, its a civil rights violation and the FBI should be contacted. They have a section for internet complaints.

OneMain Financial Company Information

Public
Ticker Symbol:
OMF
1912
Formerly Named:
Springleaf
NTBS-2320 6801 Colwell Blvd.
Irving