OneMain Financial

formerly Springleaf Financial

2.8(3,191)

About OneMain Financial

OneMain Financial looks at factors beyond credit scores to help people financially, offering personal loans and credit cards online, by phone and in person at nearly 1,300 community branches across 44 states. You can use OneMain funds for emergency bills, a vehicle, home improvement, debt consolidation, medical bills, a vacation or nearly any other purpose. Loan amounts range from $1,500 to $20,000, and funds are typically available by the following business day. It takes about five minutes to get pre-qualified, with no effect on your credit score.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • Flexible term lengths
  • Secured and unsecured loans
  • Loans from $1,500 to $20,000
Cons
  • Charges an origination fee

Stars Rating

• 17%
  • 27%
  • 14%
  • 5%
  • 38%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OneMain Financial?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OneMain Financial?

Reviewed Dec. 28, 2023

I have had a OneMain Financial loan. I had the payment set up to come out of a specific account. The funds were not there and now they have taken the funds out of another one of my accounts without me providing them the information to that account nor giving them authorization to do so. Please keep in mind this account is with another bank. I am extremely concerned as to how they acquired this information and are able to do this without my permission.

Punctuality & SpeedStaffRates

Reviewed Dec. 28, 2023

They are not a good company to do business with. One issue is that they do not report the payments you make as they should. My credit reports show nothing past May 2023. When I disputed this, they updated June & July with "-". Here it is 6 months later, and they haven't updated anything. So now, Credit Karma comes up and tells me I missed a payment when I pay early every month. I'm tired of disputing them constantly because they can't do their job. On top of that they have super high rates around 25%.

The person below who commented on their sales practices was 100% correct in what they said. In my case, I was sent an actual notice from them saying I was pre-approved to refinance my loan to get additional cash out. When I filled out additional information, the soft inquiry said I was approved. It literally gave me 8 or 10 offers to choose from. I selected the best offer for me. When I submitted it, a hard inquiry was done, and then they denied me and made my credit score drop. They are a terrible company. I would never do business with them again. I have managed to raise my score a lot on my own. I literally closed every single credit card I had, except for 2. Despite what financial experts tell you, that worked for me. I can't wait to be done with this place.

Punctuality & Speed

Reviewed Dec. 6, 2023

I’ve had loans out with OneMain for over 5 years. I’ve even given extra payments. Today I tried to apply for 3000. It said I was approved. I uploaded everything. Then they said my income wasn’t enough wait. But you see I’ve never been late not once and given extra payments several times. Don’t go with them. I live alone. WTH. When I needed them they weren’t there. I’ll take my business elsewhere!! Don’t do it!

Reviewed Nov. 30, 2023

One of the worst "money lenders" out there! I would almost say find a loan shark on the corner because you'd be "almost" better off. They have horrible high-interest rates even with good credit and very high payment for small loans under 20k. Absolutely insane... Like James Bond they say Never say Never. No I absolutely say Never.

Reviewed Nov. 25, 2023

I filled out all required information at a car dealership. Was told I was approved and once I sent over additional information I was denied on $6000 car loan and asked to have a co signer. They hit my credit report three times giving me a decrease on my credit report.

Reviewed Nov. 14, 2023

Was sent an email saying I was pre approved for a loan, decided to give it a go assuming it would be a simple process since I have had loans with them in the past. Nope. The pre approval was a lie and it seems like all they want to do is make a negative impact on your credit score! How can a company be so shady and dishonest without the government stepping in and doing something? This is the wrong way to go about business if you’re trying to keep existing customers and gain new ones.

Reviewed Nov. 13, 2023

I was shopping around to consolidate. Applied through a 3rd party website that stated they do not do hard pulls. Next thing I know OneMain Financial did 2 hard pulls on my credit without my permission. Someone from this location did call and I stated I was still thinking about what I was doing to do. Not once did I give them permission to do a hard pull on my credit. They did a hard pull 2 times. Oct. 9th & Oct.11, 2023. This was completely unethical and illegal.

Reviewed Sept. 15, 2023

This is an extremely unprofessional and shady company. I applied,sent in all requested documents, and was told I was approved. Then three days later, a representative called me to go over the all the details and while putting me on hold for twenty minutes told me I was denied!! Don't go through them, they are not what they represent!

Punctuality & SpeedStaffLoan Process

Reviewed Sept. 10, 2023

I have been a loyal customer with OneMain for several years and I have been pleased with this company up until now. I have been paying my bill on time every month with direct debit, which works very well for me because I am a senior on a fixed income. But now, I am very disappointed with OneMain and it is very upsetting to me.

When I did a loan recently, I asked the young man to set my payments so they can be directly debited from my account on the 21st of each month. He informed me that it would be no problem to do that. Now I am told, after much confusion and nonsense that I cannot have it debited on that date each month and now I am being charged exorbitant late fees each month. This is a hardship for me as a senior on a fixed income and I am disappointed that I was told the 21st would be ok when I first did the loan and not it is a problem. I am currently looking for another company to take out a loan to pay off OneMain and be done with this company once and for all. It’s a shame because up until now, I have loved dealing with OneMain. Now everything is so messed up and it is disappointing to me.

I have several people ask me to recommend a loan company and up until now, I would have gladly recommended OneMain. I will not now. I am upset about the exorbitant late fees I’m being charged when I clearly asked the young man if my payments could come out on the 21st of each month. I will be looking forward to finding a way to pay this loan off as soon as I possibly can. I am upset and tired of seeing my account saying “Past Due” when I asked for a payment date to be set when I first did the loan. I am disgusted and very disappointed with the service and treatment I am receiving.

Annette **

Reviewed Aug. 29, 2023

You get approved for over 5k. Next day you're not approved. Nothing has changed, what is going on? What kinda business are you guys running and why are you giving someone a interest rate of 28% when their credit is at a 705? And you have done multiple loans in the past with you guys. That's beyond greedy. That is not how you keep or retain new customers. You guys need to fix the problem.!!

Reviewed Aug. 18, 2023

I was specifically denied because my house mortgage was in forbearance due to COVID. Everything else checked out and set for approval. They called me and said I could re-apply once the forbearance was over.

Customer ServiceLoan Process

Reviewed Aug. 17, 2023

Horrible company, I hope they allow me to use zero star rating. Paid my personal loan off 2 years early. Their office couldn't process my complete payment notice for 3 months payments still came out after my loan being paid off... called and complained. The refund check they issued for these overpayments BOUNCED. Talk about credit and ratings. They're close to bankruptcy clearly. Do not use! July 2023, still don't have a refund for the money they had no right to take.

StaffLoan Process

Reviewed Aug. 16, 2023

While the team was very nice and helpful, they left out important pieces to the loan process unfortunately. And they’re very busy so I can respect that Trying to get assistance through the company itself is nothing short of a joke. Fast forward to them reaching out to my review on another site and them asking me to contact them. I did immediately and have not heard a word since. Can’t say I’m shocked.

Reviewed Aug. 9, 2023

How dare you complete a soft pull and A HARD PULL on my credit report, then send an email stating "I'M APPROVE" for $9,100 and to complete application. (Which I asked for $8,000) Just to call me and SAY I'M DENIED!! LIKE WHAT?!! AND COULD NOT TELL ME WHY I WAS DENIED. I SENT IN EVERYTHING YOU SPECIFICALLY ASK FOR!

Reviewed June 29, 2023

The Belair road manager, I have found on more than one occasion, to be extremely rude and a terrible representative for OneMain Financial. Recently, we missed one payment due to some banking errors and we had to change accounts. I'm not gonna tell you how many times I've been contacted, even since I've made the payment. And when I called back and speak with this Ms. Jennifer, she is the absolute worst I have ever encountered. And I retired from a desk, myself. But she's terrible. When you call and you try to interact, she'll go on and she'll be like, "Are you finished?" She's just terrible. Just get somebody to call up there and you'll find out for yourself. Sorry, but you all need to get rid of Jennifer.

Reviewed June 13, 2023

I received an pre approved offer from this company for a 9k loan at 26% APR - I continued the application, as I am looking to consolidate my debt into one payment. I wrongfully assumed that because I was preapproved, that I would be able to accept this offer. Instead what occurred, was that they hit my credit, making it worse, and insultingly offered me $1,500 at 25% APR. Not sure how they plan to justify the predatory actions, but I am sure they will. Absolutely disgusted with this company and how it affected my credit. Silly to believe they wish to help anyone.

StaffRates

Reviewed May 25, 2023

They compound interest everyday which they do not disclose. If I could give them a negative review I would. I even did a balance transfer on a no interest for 12 months on a credit card and they continued to take money from my account. DO NOT USE THESE PEOPLE.

Reviewed April 27, 2023

If I could give a negative score this company would get -100. They string you along and ask you to add multiple cosigners and then after hitting your credit file they will deny you. So sad and crooked. PLEASE DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THIS POS COMPANY.

Staff

Reviewed April 9, 2023

This Company uses Credit Karma to try and get your business. When you apply through them online application says WILL NOT hurt credit score. The VERY next day I get hard inquiry on Credit report from these people which has a NEGATIVE impact on your credit score for 2 years.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaffLoan Process

Reviewed March 27, 2023

I applied for an extension of my loan with OneMain Financial. After submitting my paperwork I was told the loan was approved. The young man then said he would check to see if he could get me more money. He told he would check and that he would call me back in an hour. He calls me back an hour later and said it wasn't approved and I thought he was talking about the additional funds. He stated that nothing was approved at all. As you can imagine I felt betrayed because he made it seem like I had funds coming but that was not the case. I am very disappointed in this company.

Punctuality & SpeedLoan Process

Reviewed March 27, 2023

Big waste of time.. Worst so called loan people to deal with in Norfolk Nebraska.. Send them all my information and get pre-approved only to be told no because of income, but of course they had all that info before wasting more of your time and approval. Big con game to get all your personal information.

Reviewed March 9, 2023

OneMain Financial has two credit cards one is a Broadway+ MasterCard the other is just a standard Brightway MasterCard. The Plus card is for people with more established credit. Every financial institution has their own policies and procedures however, I made a payment on this account on February 28 and I was advised that there would be a payment hold placed on that payment until March 10. The ACH payment process through my bank on March 1.

In my opinion, this is way too long for payment holds. I am asked someone in a higher escalation level to contact me however, this company uses a third-party company to service. Their cards called CardWorks. So when you call in and you speak to a customer service representative, you’re actually speaking with an employee of CardWorks and not employed with OneMain Financial. I’m glad I didn’t need or have use for the availability of the credit.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedLoan Process

Reviewed Jan. 21, 2023

I took a loan with OMF in 2018 for $6k and provided my vehicle title as collateral and to this date have paid on time every time. Recently I found myself in need of a bit more cash to take care of some home repairs and was told no sweat, I qualified for a higher amount, so I submit all the required docs and wait. The next day I get a call saying they won't approve me because my debt-to-income ratio is not quite where they need it to be. OK, I said, my current payment is X which is considerably higher than the new payment Y would be which would then put me into your "comfort zone" and they still refused and offered nothing but excuses and hollow platitudes, even worse I have a hard inquiry on my credit report. Once this loan is paid I will *never* do business with them again, because quite frankly the excuses they gave is a load of you know what, and if this review convinces even one person to avoid them I'll consider that a win.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaffLoan Process

Reviewed Jan. 17, 2023

These people are a joke. I guess they only let you get a loan 1 time approved and deny you other times. Either way I’m okay with knowing I will never do business with this company again. Waste of time and no communication. I know I have good credit without a doubt. I do own a 2023 genesis so stating I was denied especially after I paid the 1st loan off in 4 months. Now I’m guessing they didn’t want that because it seems like the last 2 times I have applied I was denied even after I was told I was qualified. I do not recommend this company to nobody ever.

Punctuality & SpeedStaffRates

Reviewed Dec. 16, 2022

I took out a loan to help cover cost and I have been on time for the last 2 years paying off this loans. Monthly payment is S415. Of which $5.00 goes to principal and the rest interest. These people are ripoffs.

Customer ServiceLoan ProcessTransparency

Reviewed Sept. 12, 2022

Just wanted to inform the worst experience I had with OMF.. I applied towards end of August.. No status update just email to submit docs.. Once submitted I wasn’t able to find out status of application.. I've called every time to find out what’s going on.. Supposedly I was approved.. It is the 12 of September and last week I submitted more pics of cars all needed again.. Since I applied I have never received a call nor email to notify me me of status or declining my application.. Come on all. At least 12 days telling me I was approved and today I call, they saying I was declined.. What kind of communication do you have?? I’m very dissatisfied and disappointed.. Definitely bad review from me..

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedLoan ProcessRates

Reviewed Aug. 22, 2022

I have been getting pestered by Onemain for over 1 year. So I was at a point where I needed to get some funds to tide me over until my Heloc loan in January 2023. I supplied them with bank information, documents and ID etc.. Received a call saying I was qualitied for $8600. They asked that I send further documentation and did two "Hard Pulls" on my credit.

I supplied them with my most recent tax returns-2020, bank statements for 6 months, brokerage account information etc. Then they asked that I prove that my 2021 tax return had been processed. It had been submitted to the IRS April 2022 but has still not shown as processed. I sent a duplicate to the IRS last month. The IRS has informed me they are months behind for paper returns- it can take between 6-9 months. I had proof both were sent along with TaxAct documentation. BTW- how can a company only use process-same year returns with the IRS in the rears? I offered to get them a copy from Tax Act etc.. then I was told that I would only qualify for $3000 which included a lien on my Suburban! Waste of time.. Very high interest rates! Untruthful and untrustworthy.

Customer ServiceStaffLoan ProcessRates

Reviewed Aug. 18, 2022

I have received personal loans from OneMain Financial over the years and while the interest rates I received have not been reasonable compared to other companies and credit unions I have dealt with; I took advantage of personal loans on a short-term basis. My most recent experience with One main Financial Centerville branch to secure a small unsecured personal loan could have gone better. I received a prequalified offer online and, in the mail, to take advantage of a personal loan for $18000 which was to pay off my existing loan balance and provide me with another $3800 for home improvements. I provided the branch representative with bank and annuity statements to verify my income and retirement status.

I assumed from my phone conversations with the Branch representative and when I physically arrived at the Branch office that my loan application was vetted and approved. However, after I provided the documents and my ID and I assumed everything was a go, the Branch representative told me that my application was being declined based upon a further review of my income and debt ratio. Since I was prompted to apply and I was told that my application for $18000 looked good, I assumed that it was appropriate for me to drive to the Centerville Branch and that I was good to go.

One Main should have approved my application or told me prior to driving to the Branch that my loan could not be approved and the reasons for declination. This was important not only because I am a current customer in good standing, but also because I was led to believe that my loan application would be approved based upon a review of my credit file and long history as a customer. Customers such as me who receive a pre-qualified approval of a loan must know if their loan applications have been approved before they drive many miles and waste time only to be declined and hit with a hard pull on their consumer credit reports. With very high interest rates and harsh terms, One Main should strive to please its current customers and avoid blindsiding them with a disapproval after they have gone through the effort of providing all the necessary paperwork and being subjected to a hard pull on their consumer credit file.

Reviewed Aug. 4, 2022

I applied for a secured loan. Sent them all the requested documents they asked for. I spent $75.00 faxing over my tax return at Office Depot, which they asked me to do because the file was too large to upload. They led me to believe up until the final underwriting that everything looked great and even scheduled me an appointment to come in and sign the loan agreement. An hour before my appointment, I was told I was denied because there was a discrepancy between my tax return and IRS tax transcripts. How can this be? I got my tax return from H&R Block which was accepted by the IRS and my tax transcripts directly from the IRS website. I offered to log on and retrieve these documents from their office, in front of them. How can there be a discrepancy?

The local branch put in a complaint for me and said I would receive a call from the Customer Care department, which I did the following week. I was then told there is nothing they can do and I will get a letter in the mail which will have a number I can call. She did not address my issue, just an automated response. I thought this was the resolution department? This customer service employee stated she did not even look into this. This experience has been aggravating and caused me a hit on my credit, a waste of weeks of my time, and a cost of $75 out of my pocket. I got nowhere and was denied of no fault of my own.

Loan ProcessRates

Reviewed May 18, 2022

Due dates are the 20th of the month. The next statement is not issued until the 5-7th of the following month. That makes 12 days accumulating daily interest. If trying to make payment for next month say on the 1st or 2nd there is no closing or ending date for the monthly statement so that payment posts to same cycle does not reflect for following month. Worse is next month's is considered a missed payment unless you pay again. The delay in issuing a statement until almost 2 weeks after due date is predatorial in nature as daily interest accumulates.

Punctuality & SpeedLoan Process

Reviewed Jan. 28, 2022

I'm telling you please do not get a loan here. They are the Worst loan company I have ever seen in my life. If you are late 2 days they keep calling. I have a Netspend account, I have a regular bank account which this payment is taking out of. I have credit cards that are in good standing. They do not want to take any credit cards or netspend. I wish I would have just stayed with my original loan company. I am going to get a second job just to pay them off early. Because I cannot deal with these loan sharks. They will make your life stressful, depressed, and just think everyday why you got this crappy loan. DON'T DO IT.

Reviewed Jan. 1, 2022

I took out a loan to catch up on some finances. I paid 138.58 on the loan on Nov 26th for the Dec payment. On Dec 5th they automatically took out another 138.58 and threw my bank account into a negative 165.00. I called them on the 7th Dec and they told me they would reverse the charges if I showed them proof. I sent a bank statement showing two payments were made to them for Dec. payments. They reversed it on their end but never reimbursed my bank account so where is my 138.58. I hope whoever reversed my payment and pocketed my money had a nice Christmas. It now January 1, 2022 and I have still not seen my 138.58 that they were suppose to put back in my bank account.. I will pay off my loan but will never use them again. Don't use these guys at any cost.

Reviewed Dec. 20, 2021

I filled out the information. Get approved an unsecured personal loan. They saw my car loan on my credit file, call me. Want to use my car as collateral, so it is not an unsecured loan. Hang up and tell them, "Don't bother me." And they are pretty rude too, not recommend.

Staff

Reviewed Oct. 22, 2021

At the beginning of Covid-19, I was looking for an Audi Q5. I found one at driven pre-owned in Lenoir NC. I went to check it out and ultimately found a different one I was interested in. Cody at Driven pre-owned contacted Brandy at OneMain Financial to get her to help him coerce me into buying his Audi. Well with both of them contacting me and pressuring me, I went against my better judgement and bought it. The car had so many issues from day one. This was the biggest purchase mistake of my life. The brake light was on, the backup camera didn't work, my taillight fell out on the highway, my engine was gone within a little over a year. I'm stuck with owing $12,000 and the cost to fix it is $11,000.

One main financial had no business teaming with a salesman since Brandy is not a salesman and doesn't know anything about a good vehicle. Brandy should put this Audi in her name. I'm pretty sure what they did was illegal. I do not recommend this company at all. Taking advantage of people during the height of a pandemic is illegal. I'm going to keep reporting these people until something is done.

Reviewed Aug. 23, 2021

I had a loan with One Main and my truck title was tied to the loan. I sold the truck and on August 2, 2021 the loan was paid off. It is now August 23, 2021 and the company that bought my truck still does not have the title. I will never deal with this company again and if you do be please be wary. The truck was sold to an established company, Tooele Auto, in Tooele Utah. One Main has held the title way too long.

Reviewed July 11, 2021

One Main Financial sold me unemployment insurance and when I needed to use the insurance they denied my claim for the one and only thing I asked about when I purchased the insurance. They lied and told me, "Yes sir, it will cover your payment if your contract ends" which was a bald-faced Lie. So I ask you why would I buy insurance if I knew it would not cover anything? The answer is I wouldn't and I have paid for two years on this insurance, I feel like such an idiot but I was lied to and that is not cool. This company has no business ethics at all. Avoid One Main Financial completely.

Customer ServiceRates

Reviewed July 9, 2021

Please stay away. Interest rates high. Lie and never gave my husband paperwork Horrible rates. Liars. Hard get out of it. Customer Service horrible. Try other options. I want people get together class action lawsuit. Please be careful with loans.

Reviewed June 29, 2021

This company is a lender of last resort and they know it. After a divorce, my credit was damaged and I need to make some emergency home repairs. In hindsight, I should have approached a family member first but I was too embarrassed by my credit score. One Main will lend you money when you have a credit score of 580 but it's going to cost you 35% and interest is a daily compound just like a credit card and that is flat out predatory. Avoid them at all cost if you can.

Reviewed June 25, 2021

Debt Cycle to keep you In debt. OneMain is the worse gear to keep you in Debt. I Paid over 8000 on loan for 14000. Still owe 11476. Has not gone down much everything towards interest very little towards principal. Race motivated.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedLoan Process

Reviewed June 23, 2021

I opened a loan account with this company several years ago and never missed a payment and always on time. But due to Covid and my wife had major surgery on her right ankle that left her incapacitated. We had to buy medical equipment so that she could move around and enable her to maintain her hygiene etc. I requested from One Main to allow me to work with me on payments for 2 months max so I could get on my feet and maintain the payments that were over 500 a month. They refused to allow me any leniency and would call me and be extremely rude.

I think now that they preferred repo of my pristine 2014 Challenger SXT that was collateral for the loan. I have recently acquired a mortgage loan and delivered a check for the pay off of the loan and they increased the amount up over the 500 dollar..again they accused me of trying to scam them with a bogus check, which it is not and I have documented proof that it is a valid check of close to 17000.00! They refused the payment and insist that I owed well over 17000 in Hopes they can take my car in their possession ...This company should not be trusted and they need to be under investigation.

Customer ServiceStaffRatesTransparency

Reviewed May 18, 2021

They email me to see my offers, They do not even show me a rate of interest, they right away get a hard inquiry in my credit, Without notice or warning. They call me to see if I would like to apply for the credit, I explain that I'm not interested and please remove the hard inquiry, The customer service representative shows that they don't care about my concern issue if you do not apply for the credit. Before you give them any personal information to see your pre-qualify be aware that they will affect your credit.

Reviewed April 30, 2021

I've been paying my loans on-time since April 2020 (about 13 months). I borrowed $15k and my monthly payments are $569 a month. I'm so disappointed with how little my principal balance has gone down. I should have about half of the loan paid down by now if it wasn't for the ridiculous interest. Instead, I only have less than $2k of interest paid off after paying over $500 a month for this long. These loans are shameful - should be illegal.

Reviewed April 27, 2021

I called requesting a refund to my account and I spoke to the branch manger and another representative. Both were extremely rude and unprofessional. The manager kept yelling and told me to call back then hung up the phone. I called back and no one picked up. I have tried calling this office from 10:13am to 10:38am over 41 times and no one was picking up the phone. They just let the phone rang and go to voicemail purposely. I left several voicemail and email. Never received a call back. Awful response time. I had to call the customer service number for them to reach the branch for me...horrible service quality. If I never had to deal with this Melville branch ever again I would prefer not to. They are rude tone of voice, unfriendly, unprofessional, doesn’t show concern for their customers, Can’t get a hold of a real person, Rude discourteous behavior, Lack of manners....just disgusting.