1.94/5
  • 1 star
Based on 79 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a personal loan company?

OneMain Financial

OneMain Financial, formerly Springleaf Financial, has been in the lending business for over 100 years. We are committed to serving our customers' unique situations and are dedicated to treating them with the respect they deserve.

Our experienced team has serviced 10 million customers and over $120 billion in loans. Let us help you take control of your finances!

OneMain Financial Gallery (3)
    A+BBB Rating
    FIND OUT MORE FIND OUT MORE
    Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Jan. 12, 2018

2873 OneMain Financial Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

If I could leave -100 stars I would! I got a 15.97% interest loan ($17262 doesn't include payback) to pay off credit cards and had an in depth discussion on never close cards because it affects credit score. They offered to send in the payment for the loans. When I checked the counts, 6 of the 7 had closed. I contacted every company and everyone said they had received a letter from ME with my signature instructing them to close my account. It dropped my credit score 52 points. OneMain told me they hadn't done this, who are you going to believe 1 person or 6 people?! I had the one company send me a letter so that I have proof. Can you say forgery?!

I went thru my normal lender, got 5.99% interest and paid $13707 off within a week of taking the loan out. Balance $2707, I'm giving you #'s so you can see the grasp of this. My payments would have been $607 a month but because I was paid so far ahead, I didn't make 2 payments because I was waiting on a check to finish off the balance. Keep in mind, these payments weren't late because I was paid up to the year 2020. When I got the final payoff yesterday, they added $642 interest for 2 months. I understand interest accrual, this is ridiculous. No interest accrual was listed on my November, December & January statements. The loan is now paid off and I have contacted legal representation to see what recourse I have especially for the forgery. IF you get a loan thru them, proceed at your own risk.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I have read through the other reviews, but regarding myself, I am very pleased with the Customer Service of this Institution. I have been doing business with them for several years starting when they were American General, then they emerged to Springfield Financial and recently emerged to OneMain Financial. They have always been friendly and sensitive to my needs. I hold this Institution in High Regard. They have helped me several times when no one else could. I have not had any wrong or shady dealings with this firm. They have always been honest with me. When I walk in through the door they welcome me on a first name basis. Over the years, they have been very helpful and all their employees are knowledgeable in their business. I have no Negative statements to say about this Financial Institution. They have been very helpful to me. I could sum them up with one word... PROFESSIONAL.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

First, they took forever getting back to me after I called them back. Then they neglect to tell you the ridiculous interest rate until the day you sign. Once the loan was signed, they give you a ten day grace period on the due date. But on the first day after the due date they call incessantly. At least once a day sometimes more. l would mail my payment to the Ohio address, and if it was a day late arriving they tack on a late fee and harass you about that. Most places look at the postmark and if it was mailed before the due date they waived the late fee. Not these buttheads, nope not a chance. And as I said they call daily expecting you to send the late fee right now. Did they help in a time of need? Yes they did.

They kept the payment where I needed it to be. The interest rate will kill me. Joke's on them, they gave a $6,000 loan on a vehicle that only has a Kelly Blue Book Value of $3,000-$3500. It has 135000 miles on it and is just about worn out. With a 6 year loan the vehicle won't be worth squat when the loan comes to maturity. Now would I recommend them to a friend, no. Heck I would not recommend them to an enemy. They remind me of a company from years ago called Household Finance. They had the same practices and went belly up after a few years. Do not know what happened to their loans though. To end stay away from this company if you can. If not be very careful and ignore the harassment. Be sure and make your payments.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2018

I had an investment home and I ran out of money to fix it. I went to this company and in my desperate moment I pulled the trigger to apply. Since I was approved so quickly I was relieved... well since I was approved 6 months ago for 6,000 I still owe 5,700. About 100 dollars goes to my balance... DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE. EVERYONE ON THIS FEED MADE YOU'RE BETTER OFF GETTING A PAYDAY ADVANCE... This is the worse thing I did in 2017. Stupid me!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

Waste of time -- they fraudulently lure you into their office through an online scam they run to get applications, then change the rules once you've submitted the paperwork. Customer service is **, as well. Rude, slow, and condescending. Let the market eat them. They will die (thankfully) when subprime loans take a ** again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OneMain Financial?

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

I paid off my loan with the company and now I’m waiting for my title. No one can locate my title so I’ve been told. I have to pay 95$ dollars for a new one because they don’t feel they need to send me my original one because I paid 200$ less than my account because I settled. If I knew how much of a headache they would cause I would’ve gave them all of it. They suggested the settlement! Not to mention they do the most pettiest stuff when it comes to reporting to the credit bureaus... As she settled for less you said all that but I did what I agreed to do! So why is it I can’t get my title? Bad karma. That’s why y’all changed the name because y’all did so many people wrong. I pray that I never have to deal with a company like this. They even sent me forms with the incorrect VIN number. You guys definitely fooled me but I definitely know better. OneMain is the worse mistake I have made during my 20s.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

Yes, they will be there to loan you money. But beware of the life long loan you’re entering into. High interest. No way to refi, but they’ll tell you you can. Late fees. Rolling interest. Never can get a live person on the phone. Don’t deal with them. You will regret it.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

I had an auto loan with Springleaf, which turned my account over to this company. I was one day late on a payment after being on time since my first payment a year in, and instead of giving me the courtesy of removing it from my credit report, considering my perfect payment history, they left it. Then, I had a bad car accident, in which my insurance paid off my car as it was a total loss. I was always in touch with OneMain to make sure whatever balance was left, that I could work out payment arrangements. Mind you, I only owed $214, which I split into two payments. They agreed on this arrangement. Instead, they reported me again, to my credit bureaus as "late payment". I have finally paid them off and I will NEVER go back. Horrible customer service, they do not care about the customers.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

Our 2nd mortgage company was bought out by OneMain and ever since has been a struggle paying it off. Finally got it paid off by new mortgage. OneMain on same day as payoff, put the loan in their COLLECTIONS department with requiring ME to write a DISPUTE letter!!! OneMain Financial should be renamed SNAFU Financial. It is SO SCREWED UP!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

Said I was approved online with very good approval odds with Credit Karma. The day to call them I did and some guy took application from me who didn't have clue what he was doing. Very hard to understand him. Never returns call. Get voice mail when calling bank. Beware.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

Used them for an auto title loan because I was in a pinch. I paid the high 22 percent interest rate payments for almost 2 years and refinanced through my local credit union to pay them off with a 9 percent interest rate. They received my check on the 14th (apparently) when I mailed it on the 8th and auto withdrew another $221 payment on the 15th. I contacted them about a refund and was told they have 15 days to refund and close my account. It is now 20 days and still have nothing. Do not deal with them. Their staff is trash and the company is even worse.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I got a loan from my local place in Toms River, NJ after a death in the family. Having recently retired my credit was stretched thin and I couldn't get the funds anywhere else. They offered me a significant amount but the amount I received has become almost 1/3 less than what I am paying! I believe it is around 30% interest, plus when you sign look closely. They add all these extra costs on for insurance and such and tell you it will be added with the finance charge, but you are also paying interest on it! I have about 375.00 payment monthly, statement shows 250 goes to interest, 125 goes to principal. Then I got papers in the mail for a lower interest, but they wanted it changed from a personal loan to a secured title loan!!! Watch those papers closely. Easy to slip an extra form in there!!!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I initially applied for the loan because I was quitting my job soon (put in my two weeks) and needed basically kind of a safety net while I was working on this other job but nothing was guaranteed and I explained this to the lady helping me, mind you I only requested 1500 and got approved for 7000 but I guess they said I got denied because I didn’t have a job. Like I’m dumb enough to apply for a loan with no employment. No I just wanted to use the money in case. I work at US bank making 65k+ and I drive a BMW. I’m not worried about not paying a loan back so that’s why I dissatisfied with this company because they could have called my job and verified. I still work their technically for the next couple weeks but because I said I’m putting in my two weeks they couldn’t approve it which is dumb but that’s what I get for going with a bank like this instead the one I worked for silly me.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

I already had a loan outstanding secured by my truck. I borrowed the money originally to replace my air conditioner which was over 10 years old and could not be repaired and had to be replaced. A year and a half later I had to have a number of teeth extracted and an upper and lower partial and my portion of the cost was well over $1000.00. Kassie ** reviewed my payment history and was able to rewrite my loan to provide me with the extra funds to pay my portion of the cost. I own my own home which has a ground well that provides water to my home. I have a washer and dryer which I cannot use because of the high iron content. I needed a water filtration system. Again OneMain was able to help me finance my system allowing me to hook up the washer and dryer.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

We've paid off many loans with Springleaf (and the former American General). OneMain is NOT the same. We had a current loan when the merge happened and I hate it. Our loan will probably be a decade getting paid off (started as a 4 year loan) every day past due date. They add approx $5 (+33% interest) a day, to the end of loan. When I questioned some things, lady got evasive, then defensive. AVOID ONEMAIN AT ALL COSTS. I have over 20 years of loans and payoffs with American General and Springleaf. This current loan will be YEARS unless we fall to a heap of money. DO NOT TRUST THIS COMPANY.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

These people don't understand the concept of cease and desist. I repeated told them to stop calling my family member at work, whenever I was a day or two late and they decided to just do it from multiple phones. I gave them a check so they could just debit my account on the date I set, but they decided to take it out two to three days early and put my bank account into overdraft. Then they lied and said I never gave them a check in the first place. DO NOT take their offers, these people are ridiculous.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I have recently acquired my 3rd personal loan from OneMain Financial. I have used this company for about 4 years to assist when I needed a small personal loan for various reasons. Originally I went with OneMain (formerly Springleaf) due to my credit limitations with other lenders. Even after improving my credit scores, I continue to go back to OneMain. The staff is always very courteous, knowledgeable and efficient. They worked around my paydays to schedule auto-drafts for loan payments which is very beneficial to me personally. I have also used the OneMain Rewards site for financial advice, money savings tips and as an added bonus, I have used the rewards points earned to purchase gift cards throughout the year. This is a great company!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

One Main has been so helpful. This is our second loan with them. They are so nice, and make the loan process easy and don't ask a ton of questions. Staff is amazing as well. I'd recommend them to anybody.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2017

I have paid on my account in a timely manner. This month a double payment was taken out of my account without prior notification. I am in the process of refinancing my home, and will pay off loan at this time. This company by taking out a double payment, may have jeopardized my refi. Taking this to my attorney. I don't understand how or why a double payment was taken out, when last month's payment was made. Be careful when dealing with this company.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I received mail from OneMain Financial stating that I was "Guaranteed" a loan for X amount of money. Upon applying I was denied and told I could not receive any loan. I proceeded to ask what their definition of "Guaranteed" was and they were unable to answer my question with a straightforward answer.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I recently got a loan at OneMain Financial. The staff were very friendly and kind. I got the needed information to verify my income and was approved the same day. I like this branch. I would like for Chris and Renee to get those snacks back in the office. Sometimes that little extra touch for the customers, make the customer feel welcome and look forward to coming back again.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Do not do business with these people. They are real eager to give you a loan because they charge an exorbitant amount of interest and make lots of money on you. They really push all kinds of insurance on you right before you get ready to sign and the process is long and drawn out. The staff is rude and inconsiderate and God forbid you run late or have unforeseen circumstances, they will hound you to death with phone calls and emails and even call your personal contacts. Don't let them trick you into lending you more than you need because this is what they do, they are scam artists and they will drain you for every penny and they could care less about you, believe me. I know. Don't do it.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

After a week of sending federal tax copies, then State, then more Federal Tax forms, I was told my application was sent to "underwriting". Two days later I was called back and offered a TITLE LOAN!?! Beware of this bait and switch loan shark operation.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

Recently I was conditionally approved for a loan. I called 4 times to speak with a loan officer to get information and left my contact number each time. They have yet to call me back. I read the numerous reviews here and 90% are bad. From what I have read their terms and hidden fees are outrageous! Thank you Consumer Affairs before I made a costly mistake!!!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Multiple calls within 30 minutes when payments are scheduled. Multiple calls during the day beginning at 830 or 9 am and continuing at 740 pm. They can total up to 10 calls a day! It's like signing on to a loan shark!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

I got a prescreened offer for $7,000.00 in the US mail from OneMain Financial. It was listed as an actual check to be deposited. When I called the location in Carpentersville they said yes I could actually deposit this "check" and my loan would begin!!! After it's deposited they do a security measures check and "call me" to verify I deposited this. They request a photo ID and ask if I am me! I asked how on earth it is legal to send $7,000.00 in the US mail when anyone can steal this and deposit it and steal my identity. Anyone make an ID saying they are me and speak the words they are me.

For crying out loud I never applied for this loan, never asked for this "money" and they said they buy people's information from third party companies and then solicit that way hoping to get loans. So apparently it's legal to send real checks that are loans to people in the regular mail and they could care less if it gets stolen and we who are on the receiving end that have no idea this is happening just have to hope no one steals our mail and our identity never gets stolen cause apparently any of these companies can do whatever they want legally.

According to Christina the assistant brand manager who has work at this location for 5 years and she also has no idea where they buy our private personal information from or how far back it's dated that their company gets our private personal information. So be aware everyone. This is a very very very big problem and we can have our identity stolen and this company would never protect us if someone other than you yourself deposits this actual money they are sending in the regular US mail!!! If anyone knows a way to stop this from happening please post this and hopefully we can band together to get this stopped and people's rights for privacy protected!!!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

Auto loan that I received was terrible. I have been paying on this vehicle for three years and my principal balance is still about the same as when I got the car. Granted I did take a loan out a very small loan which caused the loan to refinance. But still it's like nothing was paid on the loan at all. And I never missed one payment. To me mathematically it don't make sense.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

Very irate and disappointed in OneMain. They are a rip off. I've been paying on loan since 2007 for a small loan of 11,000.00. I have now paid over 20,000.00. When I tried to pay off loan recently they are still telling me I owe 3400.00. I ask them to lower this payment since I've been paying since 2007 and I would pay it off today. I was told there was nothing they could do in lower payment.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

So I am very dissatisfied with OneMain Financial. I got a conditional approval upon verification I sent in all my information they requested. Waited all day and then got denied even though I sent all documentation they required and everything was exactly as I told them. I even had collateral. And no one will give me a reason why. I am super dissatisfied with my experience.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

OneMain has worked with us multiple times. They are very kind, courteous, professional and knowledgeable. The ladies in Turlock are very nice and funny. They go above and beyond to meet the needs of their customers.

OneMain Financial Company Information

Public
    Ticker Symbol:
    OMF
    1912
    Formerly Named:
    Springleaf
    NTBS-2320 6801 Colwell Blvd.
    Irving
    TX
    www.onemainfinancial.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use