1.78/5
Based on 83 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need a personal loan company?

OneMain Financial

OneMain Financial, formerly Springleaf Financial, has been in the lending business for over 100 years. We are committed to serving our customers' unique situations and are dedicated to treating them with the respect they deserve.

Our experienced team has serviced 10 million customers and over $120 billion in loans. Let us help you take control of your finances!

OneMain Financial Gallery (3)
    Read More Read More

Last updated: May 21, 2018

2902 OneMain Financial Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 21, 2018

I am fairly certain that the good reviews are fake and paid for. I should have listened when I read the reviews stating that they are unreliable and unprofessional because that is the truth. Gregory called me basically saying it was a sure thing with my loan. I had to give him a few other pieces of information then I was good. So I sent that through then like 2 days later he said, "Actually you need a cosigner and all will good." So I did. I ran around getting all of this information today for him to say on Friday "sorry unfortunately you were not approved" as if that's a justifiable reason/response for how much we've been in contact and with you basically confirming I had the loan initially.

My co-signer has an above average credit score. It makes no sense. During the whole process Gregory was unprepared and unprofessional. Absolutely ZERO phone skills - mumbling, studdering, talking low, NEVER had the information in front of him. I only ignored his lack of professionalism because he was assuring me a loan. This is the Abington, PA branch by the way. Honestly do NOT waste your time. They recently changed their name to OneMain and I'm fairly certain it was because they had such bad ratings before and they are trying to appear like a different place. Horrible.

Original review: May 5, 2018

A loan was processed in my name without my permission in the amount of $10,000. for vacation funds. I went directly to their closest office and filed a written "victim's complaint" which was faxed to their main office. I have heard nothing from them. I sent 4 emails to the address on the document; but no action. I believe they were hacked, but will not admit they have security flaws that could affect thousands. Their system does not protect us and they have not proven they even care.

Get expert buying tips about Personal Loans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I already have an account with OneMain and last year I fell behind on my payments, I spoke to my local branch to explain that I was having financial hardship due to divorce. The guy asked me if I could borrow money from a friend or family member and then they would call me MULTIPLE times a day until I blocked them. Recently I was able to catch up on my account and applied for another loan and was approved for the amount I needed and was instructed to call my branch. I call and the same guy tells me they sent my account to their home office and they can't give me a loan bc my loan is in their collections.

How could I have gotten pre-approved then approved if the company policy says I'm not eligible. He said their system doesn't recognize that info... your system doesn't recognize my SSN? Isn't that the purpose of a pre-approval/approval process??? Now I'm taking a hit on my credit and not even getting the loan I was approved for.

Original review: April 14, 2018

I applied online. Was informed would be able to do a lesser amount. Ok no problem. They called me and said could only do it with a cosigner. Got a cosigner then it changed to they wanted collateral. They told me they do no collateral but a lower amount so I said fine. It still was enough to do most of what I wanted. I spent an entire day running around getting proofs and everything they wanted. Together my cosigner went up to sign everything and they then say, "Nope. Still want collateral".

After everything I was pissed. Talked to her and said, "Well I'm buying a vehicle. Can you use the vehicle I'm buying for the collateral?" "Sure no problem." I was told, "Get the vin and we'll see how much." Did that and was told, "Ok no problem. Can do this much now back up again." Then get a call an hour later. "Nope. Have to only use the cosigner's vehicle. They won't allow the one you're buying to be used now". So basically after a huge runaround getting everything they wanted and being told yes then it changing then yes again under different terms and no again and yes I got the full RUNAROUND FROM THEM. Would not recommend for any reason.

Original review: April 12, 2018

Was told I was pre qualify and then they run my info and now not qualify. Wow. Very disappointing. Was told they was going to use my additional income from wife but they ran her info so we both got hit on credit report.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OneMain Financial?

Original review: April 11, 2018

I'm not even a customer. I have never heard of them until December 2017. They called me to tell me I am late in a payment. I was surprised to hear from them. They let someone open an account, using my information. When I got paperwork, half of the information is wrong, including a signature. They sent it to a collection agency to put on my credit report. I had to contact the credit bureau. They are still calling. I may have to seek legal help. I would love to see who walked into that office that day and time using my information.

Original review: April 10, 2018

I have had a loan with this company for several years, not by choice, the actions of my ex left me no choice. I have asked very nicely for them not to call me during my work hours - they are really good at ignoring that request. I am receiving sometimes 4 calls a day from them. Now they are using branches from outside the area code to see if I will answer the phone. I am dropping off a cease and desist letter today. Enough is enough. If they would learn how to look at their computer, they would see the payment is set up off the website. March 20th 2018 – 4:27pm. March 21st 2018 – 10:55am. March 22nd 2018 – 10:31am, 3:45pm and 4:42pm. March 23rd 2018 – 12:14pm, 1:57pm, 2:02pm, 4:04pm. March 24th 2018 – 8:30am. March 31st 2018 – 8:53am, 9:59am, 11:42am, 12:20pm. April 2nd 2018 – 11:08am. April 6th 2018 – 12:20pm. April 9th 2018 – 11:11am, 1:13pm, 4:40pm. April 10th 2018 – 10:03am, 3:42pm.

What part of do not call me during work hours do they not understand? Perhaps I should try a different language. This is a perfect example of crappy customer service from a company who doesn't give a rats ** about the customer. This is also the perfect example of harassment, which even debt collectors are not allowed to do.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Unless you are hard up for money, be very careful with these guys. I know my credit isn't the best, but it is better than a lot of others, they offered me a $13k loan at 38% interest for 6 yrs, I quickly did the math, even doubling up on payments which I could, I would be paying more in interest than the CC. I turned them down right away as I can make the payments just fine the way I am doing them now, would have been nice just to clean it all up. Today I got an email from them saying after consideration, they cannot fund my loan. They are sharks!!!

Original review: April 10, 2018

After having a rough couple of years I needed to take out a loan to consolidate some debt and to be able to give my girls' birthdays this year. I went through Lending Tree for a small or loan so went through their system again to get a larger one. OneMain Financial was the pre-approved company that had the best interest rate. I completed their application online, I did have some difficulty getting documents to submit. I was called the next business day from OneMain Financial by Heather in the Nixa, Missouri office. She was very easy to work with, very professional, very relatable, and very sympathetic. I went in early that same business day with required documentation and the money was in my bank the following day. Yes they do include an additional program with their quote but given what's all in in that program. Overall I am saving money per month, have extra perks as well as life insurance and vehicle reimbursement costs.

Original review: April 6, 2018

I contacted them about taking out a loan. I asked for a 900.00 loan. The guy on the phone told me the minimum for a loan in my state Georgia is $3000.00 but I can pay back the 2100.00. I gave all my info. I make 50,000 a year. I don't have a home or a car to put on the loan which he failed to tell me. Ran my credit, told me I was approved then asked for my checking account information. I gave him my information and then he tells me I need a co signer and he noticed I own a car I paid off my credit on my report. I can use it to acquire the loan. Which the car has been totaled for 4 years. Please stay away from this company. I found them through Credit Karma.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I was extremely pleased with the service received. I had an existing loan with OneMain and received a mailer indicating that I was eligible for an additional sum of money. I put it aside to think about it and the following day received a phone call from Joey at OneMain. After a brief conversation he set up an appointment for me later that same day to come to see what I would qualify for. The procedure was quick and easy and the money was in my account the following day!

Original review: March 31, 2018

This is for location in LIHUE KAUAI, when I got a loan I couldn't believe how eager the staff was to me with making sure they got my business, here I went back to them to try and get another loan to consolidate some bills. When I went there the staff wasn't so helpful as the first time. After giving all my information all of a sudden she stopped and said, "I will call you this afternoon or tomorrow if you are approved." That was 1 week and still no call. I notice that if they want to give you money they are all into helping you but if you are not approved they really don't care.

This is the second time I got the same treatment. The last time I called and had to ask if I was approved, I was told that she called and left me a message. Well that call never came and it happened again this time with no call. Very rude and disrespectful, I pay them every month for the loan I did make with them. They should give the same treatment I got the first time. I would not recommend any of my friends to this place and after I finish paying my loan if I need another one I will go someone where else.

Original review: March 30, 2018

I applied for a loan with a co-signer and got a notice that I was approved. I submitted all the documentation and was told everything looked great and would need to be sent to my local office for signing. 48 hours - no response. I tried calling but their customer service number asks for social to access account info and then doesn't find an account. No way to reach a live person. Finally contacted my local office and they said I couldn't have an out of state co-signer but they would try to approve it with just me. I was told it was likely I could be approved, then nothing for 3 days. I called and they said it had been disapproved. Two days later I finally received the email declining me, but telling me I could add a co-signer. My only co-signer is out of state! Over a week and a half wasted on this and false hope all along the way. I needed it for medical treatment.

Original review: March 29, 2018

Applied for a loan and was approved for more than I asked for. Sent all the documentation that was requested and was told everything was a go. Scheduled an appointment to sign documents later in the afternoon. Called back to make sure all was ready to go, since I would have to leave work to make the appointment and was told that now the loan was denied because of DTI. Which they knew about and approved. No explanation of the quick turn around or follow up services. Very disappointed in the lack of customer service and help. Staff were absolutely underwhelming and not enthusiastic to help or respond.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I had an overall bad experience with OneMain Financial, first of all the manager with the mullet in the Englewood office was the most unprofessional and rudest excuse for a manager I have ever seen in my life. The entire office looked depressed under his operation and it obviously reflects in their customer service. I highly recommend that no one uses this company due to their software is unsecured and your personal information is not under lock and key. I uploaded at least 20 documents before I got to the office and they had received none of them, I have no idea who has my personal information now. OneMain Financial is just a pawn and loan shop with a new name, ultimately they want your car to give you a loan.

Original review: March 26, 2018

Applied last Friday and was approved online without collateral for more than I had requested. Someone from the Corpus Christi branch called me and asked me to send in all my documents which I did the same day. Here it is 5 pm end of business day on Monday and I have yet to hear back from them. I have read a lot of bad reviews of them not calling people back. I think if you're going to take all my information you should be giving me some kind of update.

Original review: March 23, 2018

After 2 weeks of sending federal tax copies, then State, then more Federal Tax forms, I was told my application was sent to "underwriting". It was denied and I even had a great co-signer however, now I am getting mail from other bs loan companies like America Web Loan telling me I’m pre-approved for $500 plus. Beware of this bait and switch loan shark operation, they are selling your personal info! SCAM ARTISTS!

Original review: March 21, 2018

I had a great experience dealing OneMain. The customer service was great. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. I had already closed on my auto loan for a '06 Altima, I had got some bad info on the car and didn't want it but wanted a different car. They let me redo my loan and add the other car 2004 Toyota Camry instead and I am so happy I was able to change. They didn't give me no type of hassle at all.

Original review: March 19, 2018

Already have an account and when I log on there are 4 approval offers. I started sending them my verification documents and a rep called me. She saw I had a One Main account already. Then she pulled my credit and reviewed with me. 2 hours later I get a call stating that since I already have a loan they won’t do another loan with me, even though the new loan was a collateral. My issue is, if you knew you wouldn’t lend to me with me already having another loan, why would you have the approval offers when I logged on to my account on my main screen... Not the generic site login... On my actual login page and then proceed to run my credit? Not happy. There should be a few more checks and balances to avoid stringing someone along and putting another hit on their credit.

Original review: March 19, 2018

HORRIBLE customer service. The website is even worse. It only records online payments. If you make another type of payment via check or by phone it doesn't update in history. Ms. ** isn't helpful. Sends confusing miscommunication emails.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I should have listen to the thousands of reviews but I kept getting "pre-approved" letters and email. So filled out the online app and was approved. I receive a guaranteed amount for life as income. I added in other income that verified on my bank statement. Received a call that I can't use the "other" income or provide recent checks for monthly income verification. I would need to provide at least last year's tax return. Now they won't even loan on the guaranteed amount which is only slightly lower than what I had submitted without something to SECURE the loan... Figures. Everyone all over the internet said they do this all the time. And kicker is that my credit is good. All accounts always current. Not ONE late payment... Don't waste your time with this company.

Original review: March 7, 2018

One of the WORST loan experiences I've ever had. If I wanted to buy their life insurance and additional insurances my interest rate was lower. The minute I said I was not interested my interest rate went up. This is got to be one of the WORST practices I have ever seen from any lender. I do plan to contact the State Insurance Commissioner first thing tomorrow as well as any other organization that deals with regulating the financial institutions that use these practices. I am also going to reach out to several news organizations informing them of these practices.

I currently have a blog with about 2.3 million followers who on a daily basis share my opinion and I intend to use this platform at every opportunity to voice my disgust with the way this company runs its business. I would also like to add I made several attempts to contact their corporate office and was either transfer to a answering machine or was disconnected. Just trying to find out who runs the business or contact anybody in public relations customer service, the complaint department is next to impossible. I would also like to add that I declined their loan and I would recommend if this happens to you get up and run because it is not right that you're forced to purchase things you don't want or need just to have a reasonable interest rate.

Original review: March 6, 2018

I had such high hopes with this company. I read reviews and really investigated before I decided to go with them. I got an email confirming I had been approved for $5500 dollars. I would be getting a call from them sometime within 24 hours. Well 24 hours came and went I finally called them. I was transferred 3 times before I was given a number for our local branch. I talked to a gentleman at the local branch and he took forever to find my application. Once he found it he said I should hear back from him that night or the next morning.

Once again, no call in the morning, so I called him. He told me they hadn't even looked at it and he would put a rush on it and get back to me within 30-40 minutes. Two hours later I got a phone call to tell me I was declined. Why the heck would you put someone through all the BS. I turned down several other places that were willing to loan me money because I THOUGHT I was approved through you. Very disappointing experience. Will not try using them ever again.

Original review: March 2, 2018

I needed roughly Five K to take care of some medical bills that had been sent to collections. My credit was on an upswing before the hospital had sent them to collections but because of that, all regular avenues of loan servicing were cut off from me, even with a 650 credit score. I went to AM-One and they paired me with several lenders, one of which was OneMain. But, because of some of the negative reviews I had read, I tried a couple of the other lenders. One was nice enough to give me half of my asked for amount for a payment of over 400.00 for 13 months. I declined the loan. So I decided to give OneMain a try and I WAS AMAZED.

Yes the interest rate is a tich bit high but the terms of the loan are very reasonable, the payment is reasonable and affordable, and I was approved and received funding in a day and a half. I worked with the Taylorsville Utah Office and my loan officer was Madison. She was so helpful and so nice and I was in and out of the office in a half hour, with my funding happening the next day. Don’t believe everything you read when it comes to OneMain. You won’t be disappointed.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

I have been late on payments a few time due to disability. I have never missed payments but only late. They continue to say I missed payments just made me make three payments. There are payments missing. And beware if you are late. They take your entire payment and put it to interest and nothing at all to the principal of the loan. I am not sure how they are getting away with this. I was out on disability twice and made it impossible to get help even when you have the insurance. And on top of everything else let’s not forget about the harassing phone calls. They blow up your phones all day long. I feel that I should have been charged a late fee. But to keep taking my payments and not give credit. Is insane. Please people stay away.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

Despite being approved for a loan in late January for $7,500.00 and scheduled to come in to sign for the loan on 02/15/18 I was contacted the day before - 02/14/18 and told an issue needed clarification, which was accomplished satisfactorily. I was then told, the following day was told not to come in as management had declined the loan and gave no reason. Don't waste time with this group - regardless of how long they have been in business, they are a predatory lender, whose staff is unprofessional and uninformed - how they have avoided lawsuits is startling! Hide behind the years business. SPENT SIX WEEKS BEING LIED TO and extending personal information / very disturbing experience.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

They didn't explain that the insurance was optional, I canceled it a couple of weeks later and they didn't refund me the amount that they charged me over $400 less. This is ain't right. Never again, and also the interest rate is way too much.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I absolutely love our local branch. They helped find a solution when we were financially having hard times. They always work with us and appreciate that we have been great customers for many years now. During our first loan we always paid on time, but this last time around the last few months were hard and they didn't judge us or harass us at all like some places would. We are now back on track because they helped us find a solution. I will never go anywhere else for a loan.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

This company is horrible. Bad customer service, very high employee turn around. Bad information passed along and they try to do the bait and switch, which unfortunately I fell for. I defaulted on my loan after paying on it for a number of years. Due to some unexpected hardships I was unable to make further payments nor were they willing to settle for lower payments. They garnished my wages and that paid off the borrowed amount. They have now sold the $8000 unpaid interest amount to an attorney who now wants the money. I would have been better off filing for bankruptcy to begin with. Stay away from them. They'll kick you when you are already down.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

If I could leave -100 stars I would! I got a 15.97% interest loan ($17262 doesn't include payback) to pay off credit cards and had an in depth discussion on never close cards because it affects credit score. They offered to send in the payment for the loans. When I checked the counts, 6 of the 7 had closed. I contacted every company and everyone said they had received a letter from ME with my signature instructing them to close my account. It dropped my credit score 52 points. OneMain told me they hadn't done this, who are you going to believe 1 person or 6 people?! I had the one company send me a letter so that I have proof. Can you say forgery?!

I went thru my normal lender, got 5.99% interest and paid $13707 off within a week of taking the loan out. Balance $2707, I'm giving you #'s so you can see the grasp of this. My payments would have been $607 a month but because I was paid so far ahead, I didn't make 2 payments because I was waiting on a check to finish off the balance. Keep in mind, these payments weren't late because I was paid up to the year 2020. When I got the final payoff yesterday, they added $642 interest for 2 months. I understand interest accrual, this is ridiculous. No interest accrual was listed on my November, December & January statements. The loan is now paid off and I have contacted legal representation to see what recourse I have especially for the forgery. IF you get a loan thru them, proceed at your own risk.

OneMain Financial expert review by Barbara Friedberg

OneMain Financial has been in business since 1912. In 1998, their parent company, Travelers Group, merged with Citicorp and created Citigroup, a global financial services company.  In 2011, after many acquisitions, the company became OneMain Financial with 2,000 branches across 48 states.  This personal lender combines a variety of lending solutions with a comprehensive website complete with financial education articles, calculators and tools.

• Loan amounts: Loans range from $1,500 to $15,000, and the maximum loan amount varies according to state.

• Secured and Unsecured Personal Loans: OneMain offers both unsecured and secured personal loans. The secured loans may offer lower interest rates. The interest rates are fixed for the life of the loan.

• Flexible payment options and no prepayment: OneMain Financial allows borrowers to choose the date they make their payment and the method by which they pay - online, by phone or in person at a branch. There are no prepayment penalties when the borrower repays the loan early.

• 14-day guarantee: OneMain offers a 14-day risk-free guarantee; in other words, a borrower can cancel his loan and return the money within 14 days without penalty.

• Hardship assistance program: The company has a program in place that helps borrowers who encounter a financial hardship and cannot repay their loan.

• Community involvement: OneMain Financial shows their generous and community-minded philosophy by getting involved in many community service endeavors, as well as providing financial education throughout the U.S. for both adults and kids.

• Best for: People looking for an extensive library of information as well as loan options to refinance debt, fund financial hardship such as excessive medical bills and help with expensive home repairs.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg

OMF
    1912
    Formerly Named:
    Springleaf
    NTBS-2320 6801 Colwell Blvd.
    Irving