2. Finance
  3. Personal Loans

formerly Springleaf Financial

Compare Offers
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.98/5

OneMain Financial offers personal loans online and at 1,500 physical locations in 44 states. Customers can choose between unsecured personal loans, secured personal loans and auto loans. You can secure your personal loan with an automobile, RV or boat. In many cases, loans are available the same day you’re approved. OneMain Financial offers loans from $1,500 to $20,000.

BOTTOM LINE

OneMain Financial offers secured and unsecured loans with APRs up to 35.99% and terms up to 60 months. OneMain loans have fixed rates and payments and no prepayment penalties.

PROS

• Flexible term lengths
  • Secured and unsecured loans
  • Loans from $1,500 to $20,000

CONS

• Charges an origination fee

Top OneMain Financial Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about OneMain Financial?

The experience that I received was excellent and I would recommend OneMain Financial to anyone. The ladies would keep you up to date on what is going on with your loan and they were always working for me instead of feeling like a number.

They made my experience very smooth, easy and worked with me to get the loan approved. Best experience ever with a lending company. I will go back again if I ever need another loan. I highly recommend contacting OneMain Financial for all of your Loan needs.

OneMain Financial Compare Offers

You deserve a great loan.

Receive personal loan offers in minutes on Personal Loan Pro

Get started

You deserve a great loan.

Receive personal loan offers in minutes on Personal Loan Pro

Get started

What is OneMain Financial?

OneMain Financial is a lender that offers secured and unsecured loans to customers in 44 states. OneMain Financial’s loans have fixed rates and payments, and the company doesn’t charge prepayment penalties. You can check for loan offers on OneMain Financial’s website without affecting your credit score.

To apply for a personal loan with OneMain Financial, visit its website and complete the online application. You provide details like your:

• Desired loan amount
  • Name
  • Email address
  • Address
  • Date of birth
  • Social Security number
  • Monthly income and source of income

Once you complete the application, OneMain provides a quick loan decision. If you’re approved, visit a local OneMain Financial branch to verify the information you entered online and discuss possible loan options with one of its trained loan specialists.

OneMain Financial rates and terms

OneMain Financial charges APRs ranging from 18% to 35.99%. Rates vary depending on factors like credit history, income, debts and more. Term lengths start at 24 months and extend up to 60 months.

OneMain charges all customers a loan origination fee that is either percentage-based or flat, depending on the state you live in and the size of your loan. Flat fees range from $25 to $300, and percentage-based fees range from 1% to 10% of your loan total.

OneMain may also charge late payment fees, insufficient funds fees and government fees. Carefully read your loan contract for more information regarding these fees.

OneMain Financial FAQ

What kind of credit score do you need for OneMain Financial?
OneMain Financial doesn’t have a minimum credit score requirement. Your credit score is still an essential factor in determining your interest rates, loan terms and conditions with OneMain, though.
Does OneMain Financial hurt your credit?
Yes, your credit score typically drops a few points when you take out a personal loan with OneMain Financial because it involves a hard credit check. If you make timely payments, you can make up the difference over the life of the loan.
Can I get a loan with OneMain Financial with bad credit?
Yes, you can apply and qualify for a loan with OneMain Financial if you have bad credit. However, your interest rates are typically higher.
Can you skip a payment with OneMain Financial?
No, you can’t skip a payment with OneMain Financial. Skipping or missing a payment on your loan may result in late fees and interest charges.
Does OneMain Financial require collateral?
OneMain Financial’s secured loans require collateral. If you qualify for a secured loan, work with your loan specialist to determine what item you should use as collateral.

Is OneMain Financial legit?

OneMain Financial has more than 100 years of lending experience and offers unsecured and secured loans in 44 states. If you’re searching for a large loan company with in-store services, OneMain Financial may be a good option. Visit OneMain Financial’s website to start your application and see what rates you qualify for.

OneMain Financial Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OneMain Financial?

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

Very satisfied with the service. I especially like Angela. She explained the loan process and everything done on line in the office. When I need money in a hurry One Main was the one, banks unless you got perfect credit won't even. I love the absolute about them. I love the direct deposit of my payment so it is never late monthly. If you need a loan I would recommend One Main Financial. Ask for Angela. Marlton NJ office.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

One Main Financial representatives truly care about you as an individual, are empathetic to your needs, and go out of their way to help. They are a reputable company and very easy to do business with. Payments are easy to set up on line. I highly recommend One Main Financial for your personal loan needs.

Get buying tips about Personal Loans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

OneMain looks for the best choices for me with payment options. I call and tell them what I need and in the same day they are calling me back with options for me. I love the "small town" atmosphere with them and how they assist me.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

Every month I am reminded what scum this company is. People, like myself, who are struggling apply for these loans because of emergencies. I understand interests rates but this is ROBBERY!! $300.00/monthly payments for only $20-$30 going towards the actual principal... This should be ILLEGAL!! How anyone with sense can give this place a good rating is fraud!!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

I had two loans with OneMain - Secured with a car - paid off and a consumer loan. I ran into some problems paying the consumer loan on time and they sued. Asked for about 35% more than what I owed. Then I negotiated a settlement with their lawyer and paid as agreed in court. Now they are trying to garnish my wages, not keeping to the agreement. They were very predatory while I was a customer, refinancing over and over again, then treated me terrible. Do not do business with OneMain.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2020

OneMain doesn't care about you. Just like any other company they only care about the $$$. I have been off work since March 2020. I finally applied for the unemployment insurance that I took with my loan. I was denied the insurance claim because I am receiving (PUA) pandemic unemployment assistance instead of regular (UI) unemployment insurance. To me being unemployed is being unemployed. What other thing could it mean?

Original review: Dec. 9, 2020

On November 19th, 2020 I was contacted by a OneMain rep to refinance a loan I had with them. So I submitted everything online and was contacted by a different rep to complete the process. Background, I have had 4 loans with Onemain. The first two I paid off early, the second two are active and one was being refinanced which would make it loan number five. So everything was fine and I even asked the rep since there was a payment due on the loan being refinanced should I expect the payment to come out or would the new loan override it. She assured me everything was fine and the money won't come out of my bank account. So we closed and I signed all the docs digitally. Was told to wait the 3 days for the money to be in my bank account.

By the third day when I checked my bank account, there was no deposit and the money for the payment was taken out. So I called and was told there was a "fund deposit issue" and they would call me back with answers. So a day and a half goes by with no return call. So I called and was handed over to a different rep. She said the same that there was a "fund deposit issue" and they were resubmitting my paperwork. Long story short, they never returned my calls, if a wanted any info as to what was going on I had to call them. On numerous occasions, I was told they would call me (even saying the branch manager would call me) but they never did. I as the customer always had to call them.

When I finally did get a call it was at 6:30 PM Friday evening and I was at the grocery store and right away the rep starts going over the closing statement. I let her know that I didn't have access to a computer to digitally sign the paperwork and we agreed that she would call me back on Monday between 3-6 PM. Well on Monday 6:00 PM came and went so I called them. The woman who answered the phone stated that the rep who was suppose to call me left for the day. I received a call15 minutes later and the rep I spoke with tried to explain that the whole process of "booking" the closing would have to be done all over again. So we agreed that she would call me the next day at 2:00 PM. Yes, you guessed it 2 PM came and went with no call.

She did however call after 3:00 to say they were having yet more issues and that she would call me later. I explained to her that in the past it would take two days at most and was wondering why we were now at the end of the second week and still couldn't get this done. I also asked her why no one from that office has reached out to the me to keep me informed on what was happening with their loan and why I had to keep calling them back (I waited some times a few days for a call but never got one). She had no response except to keep saying sorry. Well she never did call me back later.

So I called another lender Freedom Plus. Within 2 hours I had a loan for $20,000.00 with them paying off one of the Onemain loans and two other credit cards and put some money in my pocket. In two hours they made it happen, OneMain was going into week three with zero results, no calls from any reps being informative to the customer on what was happening, no planning with the customer on when the "closing" or "booking' was going to happen. Just one huge lack of any coordination on Onemain' s part all together as to NOT inconvenience the customer or in this case keep a long time customer. Prior to calling Freedom, I did call Onemain back one last time. After eight minutes on hold, I hung up. Lastly, the branch where I live knew about what was happening and filed a complaint with corporate. That was last week, still haven't heard back and doubt I ever will.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

They keep sending me advertisements for no reason at all and looking into my personal info to lure me into a high rate loan with them and calling them does not help because they are rude on the phone.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2020

Personal loans always seem to be needed at the worst possible times. No one wants to have to take out a loan to simply live, to pay for an emergency, to overreach in order to have enough money for a reliable vehicle. Let's just be real, personal loan company's are in the business to make money off of you. When you have no other choice, you have to bite the bullet and get hammered with ridiculous interest rates. It doesn't matter how hard you work, how good of a person you are, or what the need is. They are overly nice, they oversell what you can afford, and let's not forget the extras: ie auto plan. So all that said by the time you get to signing the paperwork you get the pucker factor when you hear your monthly payment. If you can avoid personal loans that is best. If you cannot, go in with a solid borrow amount and do not allow them to talk you into financing more than you can afford.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

Received a offer in the mail and needed a loan. What I didn't realize was the interest was just unbelievable but I justified it in my mind thinking I could handle this. For months I did. Onemain is a great company to get you that HIGH interest loan but like any other loan company it's about you paying back not about you as a person. I had to turn it over to a National Debt Relief company to get out from under the high interest rates. So I don't recommend One Main loan. Tried to talk to them but their answer was to, "Come in and let's see if we can lower your payments" but in fact in doesn't lower your high interest rates. It just sets up to to pay way longer than you planned.

OneMain Financial Company Information

Public
    Ticker Symbol:
    OMF
    1912
    Formerly Named:
    Springleaf
    NTBS-2320 6801 Colwell Blvd.
    Irving