1.63/5

Need a personal loan company?

OneMain Financial

OneMain Financial, formerly Springleaf Financial, has been in the lending business for over 100 years. We are committed to serving our customers' unique situations and are dedicated to treating them with the respect they deserve.

Our experienced team has serviced 10 million customers and over $120 billion in loans. Let us help you take control of your finances!

View More View More

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

2972 OneMain Financial Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I don't currently have CC so we buy things cash. When looking for a loan to avoid expending too much cash all at once for our trip tickets, I came across OneMain Financial. Easy process. We were skeptical because we own 4 vehicles and they asked all the info for the vehicles - weird. They turn around giving us very little money for one of the vehicle and with an outrage interest rate. No thank you. We pay cash or go to a traditional bank as we should. I was upset because they never mentioned that during the whole process till the end. So I advise to be careful, do your research before going with anyone that looks too easy to be true.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Don't take a loan or sign your life away to this company. They will make your loan a living hell because they don't put their loans in collections or work with you properly if you cannot pay. Instead they harass you and your contacts with phone calls. Mail you threatening letters. They will take you to court to get money back for loans not paid if they have to and you could go to jail. There are better loan companies and interest rates to deal with these guys. You will regret taking a loan from them. With their tactics there is a reason they take a chance on guys when no one else will because they know they can make your life a living hell compared to other loan companies if you default or just cannot pay what they are asking for.

Get expert buying tips about Personal Loans delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

The application process was easy. I submitted all documents online and received a call back same day. The issue was there was a disconnect with the bank they used in New York and their follow up process is horrible. They called a week later and left me a message. I returned the call assuming we were all set to go ahead with the loan, but the woman said they were still reviewing and would call me back. They claim they tried to reach me twice while I didn't hear back and when I logged in online it stated I only had a few days as the loan would expire. I called them again and they said my credit was ran and the loan had already expired. There was never an email letting me know they were still reviewing or a call back regarding the loan expiring. The worst experience and now my credit score is lower and I have no loan!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Please know that One Main Financial has the type of payment structure that goes almost exclusively to the interest, not the principal, at the beginning (and for quite a while during the lifetime of the loan I assume). I was new to getting a loan and didn't realize that that was how the repayment was structured. It took a couple of months for me to realize it. The realization hit me one day when I was looking over my statement and I saw that the principal of my loan had only gone down $11 although my monthly payment was $339.68. I immediately started looking for a better consolidation loan and was able to get a new loan through my credit union (with a MUCH better interest rate).

The upshot is that I borrowed $10,000 from One Main (plus I signed up for some of their insurance but I don't know how to calculate that into this). After seven months of paying $339.68 towards my loan, my pay off amount was $9895. In other words, I paid $2377.76 on my 10K loan over seven months, but only $105 of that amount went toward the principal. RUN!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I recently ended business with this loan company with a balloon payment done to pay off a small loan with them of 5k which I took out 6 months ago. In those six months I was paying my term way over the minimum and on time every month. Now today in which I decided to pay off the loan in full to finish with that debt. They decide to screw me charging me late fees when I never ever did a late payment and they charge me for some insurance that I never agree on, and as well the balance that I had left over the payments I had done, wasn't the final balance.

They decided to charge me another $100 because just paying off my balance wasn't enough for them, so I am taking action against this company and I do not recommend this company at all even if it works with slightly challenged credit, because it is obvious its there target demographic and they feed off people that don't have all the means to pay of loan fast and even if you do have the means and go into one of there local offices they lie and try to avoid explaining details about what that is charging you on and breaking it down as much as possible. It seems pretty shady, as it was, terrible company, look elsewhere, consumers be warned, or literally pay the price 2.5x the value of the loan you took out.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OneMain Financial?

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

In the beginning, One Main Financial was wonderful! I was approved rather quickly and even when I fell behind, they offered to re-fi my loan which allowed me to skip a month during the Holidays! But my health continued to challenge me and I fell behind again. The phone calls started, one to four per HOUR. When I called the branch I was insulted and belittled. It was beyond anything that any of my other creditors had ever done. But, I understand, it was my fault for falling behind. HOWEVER, I finally got better and I paid the loan off in full in one payment. Almost $8, 000.00... And the phone calls continued. They claim that although I paid the loan off in full, I miraculously still owe almost $1K in daily interest. I've had some bad decision loans before but NEVER have I been told that I still owe after paying a loan in full. There are other loans out there. PLEASE do not use One Main!!!!

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

You keep making payments and be late and you will keep paying until you die. You make a 188.00 payment and a few dollars go to your balance. If you pay extra on your payment it does not go to your principal. They need to be out of business!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

We've been with OneMain Financial for years. Already we needed some extra money to fix our vehicle and they had already have that loan with them so they tell us we were approved and we get to our appointment and they tell us they couldn't give us loan because the person that had applied for it couldn't comprehend. Kathy was a lady's name. She couldn't understand anything and she thought the other person didn't understand what she was telling him. I think OneMain Financial is just a lying piece of ** so OneMain Financial is not a good place to go.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

I had been paying OneMain Financial for over a year or so on a $3000 loan. I got the loan down to half of that and was running behind on the payment for November. I received a phone call from OneMain in November stating that they were running a special and I could wait until December to make a payment. Well, I needed new tires for my vehicle and asked if I could get a $500 loan and they said the most they could do was $499. So I go in to sign the paperwork and was told that the monthly payment was going to be $191 instead of what I was paying which was lower.

After I signed the paperwork the $499 on the loan seemed to bring the whole loan amount back to almost $5300. What the heck! What they did, without fully disclosing their intention, was refinance the loan which jacked my payments up, and now I have over $5300 that I have to pay back. All they could talk about was "the special" in November. What the special actually is, is refinancing your loan so they can make more money and the agents get a spiff for closing it. It's an unfair practice and somebody needs to take a look at it. No one verbally told me that they were refinancing a loan.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I received an alert from Credit Karma stating that a hard inquiry was made from OneMain Personal Loan I knew nothing about. On Dec. I received a letter dated Dec.12 from OneMain denying a credit loan application that supposedly I filled out with them. I never ever filled out an application for a personal loan. I wrote to them asking for information. I don't received any response from them. I asked them to rescind the HARD INQUIRY of the fraudulent application as well. Nothing happened. Reference Number: **. Date December 12, 2018.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I received an Equifax alert that a credit inquiry had been made under my name with OneMain Financial. The day after the inquiry was made, I called OneMain, the representative agreed that the application was fraudulent. They agreed to kill the application. I asked them to pull back the credit inquiry. They were not willing to do so. A month later I received a letter from OneMain indicating that they denied my application. I called again indicating that this was a fraudulent application. They refused to take any action.

Now the denial of the loan has been reported to the credit bureaus and my credit score took a big hit due to the denial. OneMain has refused to take any further action. They refuse to let me talk to their fraud department. I think this is reprehensible and shows that they couldn't care less how their actions have impacted me. So beware if you choose to deal with this company. By the way, I called OneMain the next day after the fraudulent application was made.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I really thought these people were here to assist with getting the loan you need. Did an online application with all honesty. "We’re ready to speak to with you, we’ll reach out shortly." Shortly still didn’t happen. Received another email saying just need to finalize my loan. I finalized the application, got approved. Just needed to verify some information. I sent in all documentations. No one called to say they received my via email documents.

When I did call the representative asked me several questions again answered honestly, but if you had received my documents it would have saved me time and gas to travel across town for a denied because I was short of now a $50 more requirement then mention anywhere on my online application and phone interview. How can I get the misinterpretation on Gross and Net when I know what I make and how much I bring home. When you feel you can just switch the wording around via phone versus online application then there’s an issue. All I know is honesty is the key. If you’re going to do business everyone should be on the same page. Meaning documents should be available to you and the customers so when things like this arise everybody can be on the same page. If I answered the online information truthfully I shouldn’t be questioned again by a call.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

I have had personal loan with One Financial for several years. The majority of my contract has been without issues. However, on November 13 I called in to make my regular scheduled payment due on the 21st of month, actually I was early with my payment as usual. Before I could make my payment the young lady told me that looking at my account I was actually a month ahead on my payments and that it would be ok if I chose not to make the payment for the month of November, being close to the holidays I confirmed with her that if decided to take her up on this offer, everything would be ok and I could resume my regular payment in December. She stated yes. The overpayment would be applied to the November bill just as it is done each month.

Forward to December 14th. While reviewing my November statement I noticed that I'm being charged daily interest for the payment in November. Although I was told that I was overpaid for November. Maybe I'm stupid but, how are you changed daily interest on something that was overpaid. When I contacted the Riverside office, I was told by Cindy that it was a promotion that was being offered for the month of November. However, nowhere during my conversation with the rep. In November was it told or offered to me that what was being told to me was simply a promotion otherwise like I mentioned to Cindy, I would have passed on the promotion and stayed one month ahead on my payments.

I feel that this is a very unfair, unprofessional practice. Complete details should have been disclosed so that I could have made a more informed decision. I called the office on the afternoon of December 14th only to be told, "No worries, I completely understood how this would be upsetting. However, it was the promotion we were offering to all of our customers during November." From my understanding, it's a promotional offer when it's an option with full disclosure. When I'm finished paying the loan off, After reading how dishonest One Main seems to be. I will be sure to obtain my personal loan from my credit union. The only reason I'm rating is because it's required in order to submit the complaint.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I wish I had checked the reviews before applying for a loan. My scores were 724, 723 & 725. Approved online and was offered $3800 unsecured and 6200 secured. They called me 10 minutes later. Self employed, proof of direct deposits. Copy of first page of my checking account, copy of my schedule C from my 2017 tax return. Was sent within 30 minutes by fax machine. No call, no answer to my email and when I called the next day pending was the response but I have an Experian and TransUnion alert. They checked both companies. I realize from reading this forum they have denied me a loan because I have 1 vehicle and it's a 2001 small SUV. The representative knew how old my truck was before I submitted all my information and they put a hard inquiry on my credit reports. RUN!!! I am now going to lock my reports. SMH.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Me and my ex-husband got this loan when we were married. I'm a co-signer. After our divorce he got this loan. I got the house loan. The daily nonstop harassment from the Elkhorn WI, office is unacceptable since my ex told them not to call me because I'm disabled and was having surgeries. They continued to call, send mail to my home and e-mailing ME not him. The calls were vicious and malicious. They didn't care that I had nothing to do with the loan and that my ex wasn't even late on the payment. They would call all my phones and call several times a day demanding I call them back that day. I would NEVER recommend this company to anyone! Upper management needs to fire all employees and do a restructuring of the company before I SUE THEM!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

After receiving a “pre-approved” offer in the mail, I decided to apply for a small loan, their minimum of $1,500, to help consolidate some bills. I entered all my info, and they pulled a hard inquiry from my credit report, and offered me a $4,900 TITLE loan. NO!! That is NOT what I applied for, and NOWHERE in the mailed literature or on the website where I applied does it state that this is what would or could be offered. It is a bait and switch. Sleazy and deceptive way for them to get your info. DON’T DO IT!!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Rudy **, a supposed “OneMain Financial specialist" should be severely reprimanded for the disrespect he showed to me today. This company after I’ve been in good standing for ten years called me, my work, and my family after only being a week late on my loan’s monthly payment! When I called to make payment this man and his supervisor were extremely rude to me. I felt like I was treated as if I had broken a law! It was so uncalled for and no apologies were given. In fact, this company hesitated to give me names or a follow up to complain to in their chain of command. The calls are recorded. And somehow I believe mine will be misplaced.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Obtained unsecured loan without a problem. Payment due on first of each month. They would relentlessly call up to 10 times a day beginning on the second of each month. We would give them the date we would pay; they would inform us without us giving them a check by phone for that date, they would still call. I found out this is an illegal practice. They were rude, belittling people to deal with. They would call even with a set to pay; on our jobs even after telling them not to call during work hours. Terrible experience. Never again.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

My experience at this branch was not only a total waste of time, but a disrespectful and discriminating process. The financial representative was fairly new, but pleasant. I was approved online for an unsecured personal loan (they had my whole credit file) in order to pay off a few cards, which I’ve used more than usual, due to my Temporary Disability status from work. My benefits pay was substantial enough to repay the loan without a problem. I presented my pay information with proof that I was still employed and all benefits pay stubs. Then they found every reason to rescind the offer and began to find excuses and knit-pick from my credit file as to why I wouldn’t be approved for any amount, not even a lesser one! I was also told that it was because I was on Temporary Disability. Is this fair? This was the WORST and most unscrupulous experience.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

The day I paid off the loan for my motorcycle in full, I told them THAT DAY... IN PERSON... I want no more communication from OneMain Financial with the ONLY exception of in writing that any and all debts owed to them are satisfied aka paid off in full AND my motorcycle's title. It took at least 7+ weeks (and my bugging them at that at least from the 4th week onward every week) to finally receive my title and found out a local branch of OneMain was HOLDING the damn thing (obviously this was after I paid it off in fully 6-29-18... Well on time mind you). So right there, that's at least 2 stars of rating deducted. I received the first bs ad for a debt consolidation loan in August. I call up the local branch and tell them don't send me any more ads. They told me they would note in my account as such and for me to allow at least 60 days from that same day for the request to be processed and settle.

I received the second advertisement for the same crap between 61 and 70 days later. After calling the same location and asking for the head manager, I receive a polite ** female who assured me of the same thing. Give it 60 days. I said 'that's what the other person... A guy told me. What's different this time.' She tells me he must had forgotten to log my account. I tell her ok. I'll take your word for it but after 75 days from now I had better not receive any more communication whatsoever from OneMain Financial Well. Guess what? It's November 2018 and as of today, 11-13-18, I received yet ANOTHER stupid "debt consolidation loan ad" from them. Yeah... I'm calling the Better Business Bureau and filing a harassment complaint. NO MEANS. NO morons. (LOOKING AT YOU OneMain!!!)

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

I was looking for a personal loan and found One Main on Credit Karma (they also sent me mailers). After giving my personal information S.S. number and more, they will do a HARD CREDIT INQUIRY (which drops your credit score). I did not want a secured loan, which my bank would do for a much lower interest rate. I think they are deceptive in not telling you anywhere in the application process that they will offer you a loan if you have a Car Title. I would give a negative star if I could. I will have to settle for the lowest rating possible due to they're misleading even by omission Secured Title Loan. Very happy I did not get any further with this less than honest company.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

Three years ago we transferred from overseas to a job site in MD. We incurred major debt because the Army Finance Center taxed the Travel Claim; we went to OneMain and they were rude, brash, and harassed us then and during subsequent visits and phone calls. We had just bought a house so our money was tight - we got behind in our payments and the phone rang off-the-hook. One manager even told me our jobs could be in jeopardy if we didn't pay this loan off in accordance with the contract. We were unable to pay, so they took us to court; we were unable to attend the court date so the judge ruled in their favor. My wages are now garnished, and life is rather difficult for us nowadays. I tried to work out a lesser payoff but their attorney/rep wasn't able to bring this to reality. We now pay almost $800/month including interest, finance charges, attorney fees, and court costs.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I was approved for a personal loan in writing only for a couple thousand dollars. And they requested me for verifications such as D/L, proof of auto insurance, paycheck stub etc. Which I have no problem with. When I called them, they first put me on hold for a long period of time. I had to hang up and called back again. One of the associates apologized and again she put me on hold again for another 10 min. or so...then she came back on line and said that she needed more info from me. She begin to asked for my personal information that has nothing to do with the loan, things such as life insurance, how many bank accounts, what kind of cars and “How many cars do you have, what are your cars' vin numbers”...a lot other things which I think was none of their business.

Then she turned around and said, “Oh we can't give you the loan, cause you don't have enough equity on the auto loan that you have.” I said to her that, “I am borrowing a personal loan only for couple thousands dollars. What does that do with my auto loan.” She said, 'Well, we were going to take over your car loan, and if there is some equity from it...you can use.' I said to her, 'Wait a minute, who said anything about letting you guys take over my car loan in the first place?' My existing auto loan carries only 5% interest, what kind of interest are they going to give me, taking over my car loan! Come on people, when I first got approved for the personal loan, they didn't mention any condition at all what-so-ever.

Now, they are trying to scam me to switch bank on my car loan...so I will be stuck with a high interest rate car loan for a few years, in order to get couple thousands dollars out (Cause it is a brand new car after all). Are they out of their mind! Besides, I have a luxury car that is all paid off. If OneMain Financial cannot afford to loan any money out, just tell people so...why waste our time! Just to rip off our personal information so you guys can sell it to others. Big Big Scammer this company is. I will report this to the State Atty General, and all concerning gov. departments. A big waste of time.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I was able to refinance and save me some money and paid off my loan with them. On 10/9/2018, I called and got the payoff amount. I went into their office on 10/19/2018 and was told they still have not received payment, but I should still make my monthly payment to make sure I would not be charged a late fee of 20.00. I made the payment of 300.00+ and I checked my account on the following Monday the 22nd and it showed they processed my payoff check and my monthly check on 10/19/2018 even though they said they did not receive it.

Now I have to wait until 11/6/2018 to get my refund of 300+. Why do I have to wait that long? I paid with a debit card and they received the money that day. It is not like they have to wait for a check to clear. I received something in the mail from them to refinance and was told I needed collateral again, but my score went up, but the value of my car went down. I ended up using someone else and got 7% lower plus did not have to use collateral. Use them with caution.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

OneMain Financial In La Puente CA 91744. Hi My name is Mario **. My balance was $12,335.04. I ask for a payoff and they told me it was $12 585.84 for Oct 14, OK, my payment was due on the 15th of Oct. so I called them and told them I was not going to make my monthly payment because I was going to pay off the loan by next week the Wednesday 24-or Thursday the 25th of Oct, I got a loan from credit union and to pay off the loan, Credit Union send $12,708 to OneMain Financial because that's the amount that I applied for and One Main Financial refunds me $28.39. Isn't a payoff a pay off of total amount???

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

I had a great first initial relationship with OneMain until my payments each month had problems. One month they’d take it out of my closed acct that I specifically asked to be removed and they charge me loads of returned check fees. The next month they wouldn’t take it out at all and I would get another fee. The service is horrible and no one can seem to get payments right. Save yourself the stress.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

Applied for a loan online. Told I was approved and to just submit certain documentation for the qualifications. I did that, and then no response, so I called the next day. They said they needed my husband on the loan, because of the income I claimed, so I added him to the loan. And now no feedback, if I am not approved I am fine with that, but let me know. A phone call or an email takes two minutes.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I didn't submit the complete app but OneMain pulled my score and gave me a denial. I don't understand why they spend so much on advertising but don't actually want to loan money at such a huge interest rate.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

APPLIED FOR JUST A 13 K LOAN, I HAVE EXCELLENT CREDIT, FICO SCORE IS 767... THEY WANTED TO CHARGE ME 34% INTEREST! I TOLD THEM TO get bend and to cancel my application. I knew they were shady when I kept asking the rep what is the interest rate and he kept avoiding the question... Then he passed me to someone else, a real fast talker, he kept asking me to verify info and then asked me if I had a life insurance policy and how much? I told him, "None of your business" and again, "What is the interest rate"? Don't do business with this company, they really need to be shut down!!!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Applied for a loan that said I was approved. Submitted all information needed only to be called to inform me that they couldn’t approve my loan because my vehicles didn’t have a high enough value! I own 5 cars. 2001 Mercedes, 1997 Mercedes with only 60,000 miles and a 1998 Dodge. When they called I was just informed that they couldn’t process my claim. Waste of my time. So I did a title loan just on one vehicle for 1,250. Would never refer anyone to go here! Waste of my time.

OneMain Financial expert review by Barbara Friedberg

OneMain Financial has been in business since 1912. In 1998, their parent company, Travelers Group, merged with Citicorp and created Citigroup, a global financial services company.  In 2011, after many acquisitions, the company became OneMain Financial with 2,000 branches across 48 states.  This personal lender combines a variety of lending solutions with a comprehensive website complete with financial education articles, calculators and tools.

• Loan amounts: Loans range from $1,500 to $15,000, and the maximum loan amount varies according to state.

• Secured and Unsecured Personal Loans: OneMain offers both unsecured and secured personal loans. The secured loans may offer lower interest rates. The interest rates are fixed for the life of the loan.

• Flexible payment options and no prepayment: OneMain Financial allows borrowers to choose the date they make their payment and the method by which they pay - online, by phone or in person at a branch. There are no prepayment penalties when the borrower repays the loan early.

• 14-day guarantee: OneMain offers a 14-day risk-free guarantee; in other words, a borrower can cancel his loan and return the money within 14 days without penalty.

• Hardship assistance program: The company has a program in place that helps borrowers who encounter a financial hardship and cannot repay their loan.

• Community involvement: OneMain Financial shows their generous and community-minded philosophy by getting involved in many community service endeavors, as well as providing financial education throughout the U.S. for both adults and kids.

• Best for: People looking for an extensive library of information as well as loan options to refinance debt, fund financial hardship such as excessive medical bills and help with expensive home repairs.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg

OMF
    1912
    Formerly Named:
    Springleaf
    NTBS-2320 6801 Colwell Blvd.
    Irving