1.96/5

Need a personal loan company?

formerly Springleaf Financial

OneMain Financial, formerly Springleaf Financial, has been in the lending business for over 100 years. We are committed to serving our customers' unique situations and are dedicated to treating them with the respect they deserve.

Our experienced team has serviced 10 million customers and over $120 billion in loans. Let us help you take control of your finances!

Need a personal loan company?

OneMain Financial Reviews

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

The process of applying and getting the funding is pretty easy with OneMain. All their fees and the process are upfront. They have very high interest rates, but keep in mind that they finance the high risk group. If you have a bank account with stable income, it's hassle free to make payments from checking account. As long as you are responsible there are no trouble. Personally my experience with OneMain was great. Their local branch staff are very helpful and they don't judge you based on your situation. The borrower needs to be responsible in paying back on time. I would highly recommend them to my friends who might be in urgent need of money with average credit.

Original review: May 30, 2019

You know what? You go to OneMain because you can’t get a loan anywhere else. You have bad credit it’s your fault. I went to the branch in Cordova Tennessee. The interest was high yes. But that’s because I have bad credit. They did take a title but that is collateral, again I have bad credit. There were no surprises. Read the contract. Make sure you have equity in a vehicle. 24% is high but not as high as a title loan. I had to give collateral on a different loan I have with a bank. I am very pleased and I’m going to pay it off quick.

Get expert buying tips about Personal Loans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 23, 2019

I was in the market for a used vehicle, but was unable to get financing (I'm a new immigrant) due to my short credit and employment history. Through LendingTree, I found a lender OneMain Financial (Jackson MI), I was contacted by a Ms. Mikayla ** in 10min or less of applying online. Ms. Mikayla helped me or should I say ensured I get the loan as she understood my situation. I highly recommend OneMain Financial Jackson MI to anyone who needs help getting back on track!

Original review: March 6, 2019

OneMain Financial was so kind and very understanding of my situation. My credit wasn't very good but I got my loan. I needed my loan for medical reasons and they was very prompt. They made me and my wife feel comfortable and wanted. They could have denied my request but they didn't. I will return there for my financial needs in the future. Thank you so much. I recommend them for your financial needs.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I first have to say, after reading several recent reviews. I’m quite confused about the write ups. Some being shocked about the high interest, but they accepted it when they reviewed their docs prior to signing and accepting the loan. One person was upset because they were later asked for collateral i.e. a car to secure the loan after being pre-approved although they said they were approved. Not true, as OneMain operates like every other lender. 1st you submit your docs for pre-approval, then a rep calls to verify your info and check out your actual facts. Then all that info is sent to an underwriter. That’s who makes the final decision, not the sales rep/loan servicer you're on the phone with. Lastly, someone gave a 1 star because they late on payments due to being consumed with a sick spouse. And was upset with the rep for not helping as much as they felt they should have been helped.

Two issues with this review; you default on your bills, they come every month like click work how you forget... When they were calling you 100x and you ignored the call and the voicemails, that was them trying to work out. Lastly, when you take a pan from OneMain they ask you if you would like to buy insurance for a few more dollars to cover you to the life of the loan in case you have a problem paying. You roll the dice when you choose no! People this is a high interest credit lender for people with bad credit, no credit etc.. Bottom line you’ve been denied credit at other lenders who do not trust you to pay the money back. So, yes OneMain will lend you the money... maybe but you will pay a high interest and you may have to put up collateral if your credit is really jacked! But, no one is going to give someone money (who has poor money habits) for free!

Here is the deal if Credit Karma recommended them for you and not JP Morgan Chase Bank that’s because you have poor credit standing. I am no exception to that rule, but I knew what I was walking into with the high interest rate, I did not need to put collateral up and what they said I was approved for, that’s what I got a check for. I am on my 2nd loan with them. I paid the first one off with the 2nd one early to build my credit standing. I have a plan to pay my 2nd one off early with out of pocket funds, so that I’m not paying 2x more back as my interest rate is 16%. But my payment is low and manageable so that I am assured to never miss a payment.

I have insurance in case I get sick and cannot work, and I’m not blind to the fact that this is a ** loan but they were the lender that took a chance with me when no one else would not have. My credit went into toilet after several job lost and failed business and a sick husband, so I’ve had all these issues these people have had but blaming my poor money management, inability to read the leading docs, and my acceptance of a high interest loan on the lender. Bottom line, OneMain is very upfront with who they are. I think some folks need to do a better job at reassessing who they are and their needs. OneMain is a great lender for people with bad credit. They are way better than a payday lender. I would recommend them if you have good credit, healthy cash flow and collateral.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OneMain Financial?

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

Provided me a qualified report based on a $13000 loan at a 5 year term and rate and then when went to complete paperwork and provide my pay slips they reduced the amount. Wanted to put notes on both my vehicles and increase the rate to over 30%. I want to call Experian and bitch about their tactics through their site. They provided much of my data to these turds. I really dislike this crap. Trying to find a solution only to be screwed over and damaged by them pulling my credit.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

I called them because i was pre approved for a loan. All they were worried about was getting my vin number to my vehicle. They weren't explaining nothing at all to me on why they need my vehicle info. He said they can possibly pay it off and give me my 4000 loan and make my payments the same and I can pay it off in 6 years. No way. This is totally a scam. The person was so rude whoever I was talking to. Do not do it.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

I just want consumers to know that One Main loan company is a rip off. I took this revolving loan out in 1996 for 15,000.00. At the same time I took out a 15 year home equity loan of $80,000.00. I'm almost finish with paying that loan off and is yet to see a dent in the loan I took out with One Main financial. I need someone to investigate them and find out why I have not seen any change in the amount I borrowed. Something is not right.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

They sent an app for an unsecured loan of $15,000. I didn't need it, I work for a good paying company so I could usually take care of my own things, however I was buying my son a car I saw on a site for his birthday/Christmas gift. Nothing special, just a reliable good first car, so I decided ok a small maybe $3000 loan would be ok, Pay it off in couple months of overtime. They kept asking for this paper or that document, of which by the time they kept running it was dropping my score each time. Then after a headache and a run around they said no like 3 weeks later. Basing it ONLY on 1 income source, when I have 3 others and the fact They ran my info so many times it was a fiasco. I called my credit union which I should've done since the beginning. Don't trust this mess, Go to a reputable lender.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

They made my experience very smooth, easy and worked with me to get the loan approved. Best experience ever with a lending company. I will go back again if I ever need another loan. I highly recommend contacting OneMain Financial for all of your Loan needs.

OneMain Financial expert review by Barbara Friedberg

OneMain Financial has been in business since 1912. In 1998, their parent company, Travelers Group, merged with Citicorp and created Citigroup, a global financial services company.  In 2011, after many acquisitions, the company became OneMain Financial with 2,000 branches across 48 states.  This personal lender combines a variety of lending solutions with a comprehensive website complete with financial education articles, calculators and tools.

• Loan amounts: Loans range from $1,500 to $15,000, and the maximum loan amount varies according to state.

• Secured and Unsecured Personal Loans: OneMain offers both unsecured and secured personal loans. The secured loans may offer lower interest rates. The interest rates are fixed for the life of the loan.

• Flexible payment options and no prepayment: OneMain Financial allows borrowers to choose the date they make their payment and the method by which they pay - online, by phone or in person at a branch. There are no prepayment penalties when the borrower repays the loan early.

• 14-day guarantee: OneMain offers a 14-day risk-free guarantee; in other words, a borrower can cancel his loan and return the money within 14 days without penalty.

• Hardship assistance program: The company has a program in place that helps borrowers who encounter a financial hardship and cannot repay their loan.

• Community involvement: OneMain Financial shows their generous and community-minded philosophy by getting involved in many community service endeavors, as well as providing financial education throughout the U.S. for both adults and kids.

• Best for: People looking for an extensive library of information as well as loan options to refinance debt, fund financial hardship such as excessive medical bills and help with expensive home repairs.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg

OMF
      1912
      Formerly Named:
      Springleaf
      NTBS-2320 6801 Colwell Blvd.
      Irving