1.73/5

Need a personal loan company?

formerly Springleaf Financial

OneMain Financial, formerly Springleaf Financial, has been in the lending business for over 100 years. We are committed to serving our customers' unique situations and are dedicated to treating them with the respect they deserve.

Our experienced team has serviced 10 million customers and over $120 billion in loans. Let us help you take control of your finances!

3009 OneMain Financial Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I first have to say, after reading several recent reviews. I’m quite confused about the write ups. Some being shocked about the high interest, but they accepted it when they reviewed their docs prior to signing and accepting the loan. One person was upset because they were later asked for collateral i.e. a car to secure the loan after being pre-approved although they said they were approved. Not true, as OneMain operates like every other lender. 1st you submit your docs for pre-approval, then a rep calls to verify your info and check out your actual facts. Then all that info is sent to an underwriter. That’s who makes the final decision, not the sales rep/loan servicer you're on the phone with. Lastly, someone gave a 1 star because they late on payments due to being consumed with a sick spouse. And was upset with the rep for not helping as much as they felt they should have been helped.

Two issues with this review; you default on your bills, they come every month like click work how you forget... When they were calling you 100x and you ignored the call and the voicemails, that was them trying to work out. Lastly, when you take a pan from OneMain they ask you if you would like to buy insurance for a few more dollars to cover you to the life of the loan in case you have a problem paying. You roll the dice when you choose no! People this is a high interest credit lender for people with bad credit, no credit etc.. Bottom line you’ve been denied credit at other lenders who do not trust you to pay the money back. So, yes OneMain will lend you the money... maybe but you will pay a high interest and you may have to put up collateral if your credit is really jacked! But, no one is going to give someone money (who has poor money habits) for free!

Here is the deal if Credit Karma recommended them for you and not JP Morgan Chase Bank that’s because you have poor credit standing. I am no exception to that rule, but I knew what I was walking into with the high interest rate, I did not need to put collateral up and what they said I was approved for, that’s what I got a check for. I am on my 2nd loan with them. I paid the first one off with the 2nd one early to build my credit standing. I have a plan to pay my 2nd one off early with out of pocket funds, so that I’m not paying 2x more back as my interest rate is 16%. But my payment is low and manageable so that I am assured to never miss a payment.

I have insurance in case I get sick and cannot work, and I’m not blind to the fact that this is a ** loan but they were the lender that took a chance with me when no one else would not have. My credit went into toilet after several job lost and failed business and a sick husband, so I’ve had all these issues these people have had but blaming my poor money management, inability to read the leading docs, and my acceptance of a high interest loan on the lender. Bottom line, OneMain is very upfront with who they are. I think some folks need to do a better job at reassessing who they are and their needs. OneMain is a great lender for people with bad credit. They are way better than a payday lender. I would recommend them if you have good credit, healthy cash flow and collateral.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

OneMain was what I needed to get a loan and help my not so great credit score. I knew going in I was going to pay high interest for a loan from any loan agency. OneMain's Melissa was great to deal with. She told me upfront after reviewing my credit score a loan is possible but will be costly. We went over all of the conditions of the loan and she answered all of my questions. I have used OneMain twice and very pleased with the results.

Get expert buying tips about Personal Loans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 5, 2018

I had a previous loan with OneMain when my AC went out. (In the summer in South Texas not good!) OneMain helped secure me a loan to pay for the new AC. Then a financial burden struck my household and I was at risk of losing my home... Once again OneMain came to the rescue and helped save my home from being foreclosed on. They always are there to help me when a crisis hits our household. I don't know where I'd be without OneMain Financial!

Original review: June 21, 2018

I was in need of getting a loan to pay other credit card debt in order to lower my monthly combined credit card debt. OneMain was able to secure a loan for what I needed within a few hours via phone. I didn't have to make multiple trips to them nor jump through any hoops. They were knowledgeable and polite. I left there not feeling like I made a big mistake. I'm on my 4th payment and there have been no surprises. I feel confident I would use them again.

Original review: June 15, 2018

OneMain has taken good care of me. I needed 6,000 and they offered me more than that. Gave me insurance that fit my need not theirs, and monthly payment I can afford. I hit on hard times, so they refinanced me with a lower interest rate. My payments come right out of my account, and I don't have to worry about late payments or fees. Because of them, they have helped raise my credit score, and I always have an agent to answer any questions on how finance work. But the decision are my choice. So I am happy.☺

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OneMain Financial?

Original review: May 16, 2019

This is a con job to get and sell your personal information. You are told for five screens that you are approved. On the 6th screen you are told to upload your supplemental documents. Immediately after uploading, you are told that you are not approved. It is less than a second and the documents are pdf so no way they actually looked at them. It is a con for your personal information. The five star reviews are fake and from India. Do not apply to this company.

Original review: May 14, 2019

I was pre selected for a loan. All the different amounts were posted with the payments I have to pay back. When I spoke to a loan officer the only thing he offered was to take my SUV and pay it off for 53 months. First of all I didn't request to do a refinance. Why would I refinance my truck? Give you my title and start all over again. High interest rates 35-36 percent. No matter what your credit score is. This company is a RIP off. I don't recommend you paying out a loan with high interest rates.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Hate this company. I fell behind with them on a $6,000 loan and no way they would work with me. Instead of working with me, they sent me to collections! Now I have two marks on my credit report from this loan shark company. If you need money----don't and I repeat don't use them.

Original review: May 12, 2019

They were very polite and professional... Did not make the process of getting a loan. Complicated nor confusing...my experience was quick and simple. I provided the documents they requested, provided a few signatures and I was on my way. The following morning the funds were deposited in my checking account.

Original review: April 26, 2019

I took out a $7600 loan with a 35% interest rate. I was not aware that this was a daily interest bearing loan. My loan summary that I receive each month gives me a $7000ish balance. But when I called OneMain Financial they told me my balance was $14,035. That's about 83% interest. I called and inquired about the balance and interest. That's when I learned that the daily rates was $6.35 plus the 35%. This company not only deceives their customer, they deceived their investors also. Perfect example of predatory lending. Those who gave a favorable review probably were paid to do so or they are current employees. They are awful, so please don't take out a loan from them. You will be sooo regretfully sorry. They will reap for cheating their customers.

Original review: April 20, 2019

Everyone was very nice and professional, from the phone calls to in person. One person even saw that my phone had died and lended me a charger while I was there. Excellent experience! Will definitely go back!

Original review: April 18, 2019

Helpful staff and very professional. Took less time than anticipated. I got my loan done in no time and the process is very simple. All I really needed was a paycheck stub to bring in. I was done in no time at all.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Was told that they were going to move my loan date up to match my check deposit dates. Did not happen. So now I am paying a late charge to OneMain plus a overdraft charge to my bank. I think the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. They got to get together on the system to get this stopped. I mean they ARE on the same computer systems.

Original review: April 15, 2019

The company is a BIG JOKE, Don't waste your time! The customer service did not speak good English. They stated I was pre-qualified but at a later time they told me that I was not qualified. No wonder they have a low score on their rating! DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME! TRUST ME.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I called the main office and submitted all my required paperwork and they told me I was approved for an unsecured loan of $9,200 and told to go to their local office to sign loan and receive check. The local office called me and said the main office entered my income incorrectly and now after they reviewed the income the loan was lowered and they wanted to add my car as collateral! The main office assured me I was approved and that the loan was final. This company is a BAIT AND SWITCH company and should be reported for unfair practices! BEWARE. THE FINAL AMOUNT FOR LOAN IS NEVER THE SAME!!! LIES, LIES, LIES!!! They should be ashamed of their services and yes they all are aware of what they are doing because they are ALL trained to do business this way!!!

Original review: April 2, 2019

I already have a loan with this company and have for several years. They call multiple times a year trying to lend you more money. This time they called with "Great News" that I qualify for at least $3,000.00 more. I have had to run my credit cards up lately for some personal reasons, so I thought this would be a good way to pay them down and consolidate. Well, after calling them back, they wanted my truck as collateral (I have unsecured loan with them right now), so obviously I told them that wasn't going to happen. They ran my credit to get to this determination, meaning that it will drop a little again.

Even with all of the purchases that I have made lately, my credit score is still in the mid 600s and BTW, I am on automatic payment, so I have never even been one day late with this company, or any other for that matter. I had heard horror stories like this in the past about OneMain, and now I see it. Unless you want many phone calls telling you that you "qualify" for more money when you actually don't, then stay away from this company.

Original review: April 1, 2019

I went with this company because of Credit Karma. We got an loan from them with a high-interest rate not knowing that we could do better. We got the loan and find out through our credit union that the interest rate was way too high. They got us an interest rate at half of what OneMain was offering. So we went with our credit union. Had to pay back way more. Just got an letter the other day saying we still owe them over 400.00. Mind you we only had the loan for like 10 days before going with our credit union. Please be very careful with OneMain. They make it sound good but not true. OneMain is stealing from people when they need the help the most. Please don't go with this company. Talk to your bank first or credit union. I bet they could do better. I have learn the hard way.

Original review: April 1, 2019

This company refuses to delete negative remarks on my credit for an account that is paid in full and closed. They just keep giving me the run around on the phone when it seems pretty simple. I regret using this company for anything. Bad customer service.

Original review: March 31, 2019

Applied for loan, given $8000 for personal unsecured, $17,000 secured. Went thru process, needed co-signer which provided only $8000 personal + required adding my 2018 Toyota C-HR Premier to obtain the $8000. Told approved, appointment set to close deal 3-29-19 at Coral Springs Florida location. Went through ALL required signing, when asked about 1st payment due date, loan amount NO LONGER $8000, NOW UNDER $5000! BAIT & SWITCH!!!

Original review: March 23, 2019

I was in the market for a used vehicle, but was unable to get financing (I'm a new immigrant) due to my short credit and employment history. Through LendingTree, I found a lender OneMain Financial (Jackson MI), I was contacted by a Ms. Mikayla ** in 10min or less of applying online. Ms. Mikayla helped me or should I say ensured I get the loan as she understood my situation. I highly recommend OneMain Financial Jackson MI to anyone who needs help getting back on track!

Original review: March 22, 2019

Applying for a loan with LendingTree I was approved for a loan with OneMain financial for a collateral loan. I get a call on Monday from a rep at the Athens, TN office of OneMain. We discuss my situation with low credit and income and the only way I could do collateral would be for them to buy the car I was looking at buying she said we can do that. We talked about things a bit more and with my income she didn't want to run credit.

I call back a few days later and asked about adding a cosigner. She said that would work but I had also had explained that my cosigner also had low income and credit. She said, "It would be fine just. Have your cosigner give me a call." Now we have a hard hit on credit with no explanation as to why it wasn't approved. She said the application was kicked out of the system. That makes no sense to me. I think she shouldn't have run credit noting the credit and income situation. It's not a good company to have employees that don't know what they are doing. Don't use them for any reason.

Original review: March 20, 2019

Was approved then go through everything. Then told wasn't... I first applied for a loan without putting anything up. They switched it to having to put my car up which was fine. Then after was told I was approved then have me go through everything. When it was time to go in going to tell me I didn't meet the guilds fully... Waste of time.

Original review: March 20, 2019

Applied for personal loan of $3000.00 for 2nd car to get new car off the road for a while, Decent credit score. Approved for $10,000.00. Requested interest rate info after all docs submitted and approved, told 35%. I said that's the max for GA, she said, "Well you can pay off credit cards," LOL, I said all 3 combined balances are less than $125.00... She said, "Well you have student loans," LOL, I said NOT paying 35% interest on student loans, I said, "Ok, just loan me the $3000.00 I originally asked for." She said our minimum is $3100.00 at which time I said, "No thank you."

I realized that their corrupted game is to MAX OUT interest rate laws in whatever state they operating in because in GA, personal loan interest rate should not exceed 17% if it is $3000.00 or less (unless put in writing). CREDIT KARMA, you should be ashamed for promoting this predatory lender. Think I will just delete my CK account and stick with my Credit Wise acct with Capitol One to manage/monitor my credit.

Original review: March 20, 2019

I have used OneMain Financial several times. The employees was so kind and very understanding of my credit situation. I needed my loan to pay a few bills. The only THING that I DISLIKE about this company is how they harass me with calls a day after the due day. If there is a grace period WHY do you have to call me every month. If I am 30 days behind then I would understand the calls. All you have to do is look at my payment history and see that I make a payment two or three days before the due date. I can't wait until my loan is paid off.

Original review: March 14, 2019

This location is horrible. Very unprofessional staff and most are not very well versed in their jobs! Stay away from this location! I went elsewhere! Alley was not knowledgeable about loans nor was she very professional over the phone! Was put on hold several times for no reason. Finally I hung up and went went another company and that process was wonderful!

Original review: March 12, 2019

Took out a loan, consolidated some debt, the loan ended up being a title loan. I have been paying on it for almost 2 years now, coming directly out of my account. Well, now my vehicle is not repairable and they will not release the lien so I can junk the car. I was told they had to run my credit again to see if they can release the lien. What kind of ** is that, you want my credit to take a hard hit so you can tell me whether or not you will release the lien. It doesn't matter to them that I have been paying on this loan for almost 2 years now, money comes directly out of my account and I have never been late. I didn't ask you to dismiss the loan. Just release lien so I can junk the car.

Original review: March 8, 2019

Anyone who currently have or had a loan from these crooks need to request a copy ASAP. FROM THEIR OWN SITE. Principal Balance X (Annual Interest Rate/ Year Count) X Number of Days Since Last Payment. $6,000 X (24.36% 365) X 31 = $124.13 Standard Monthly Payment Amount – Monthly Interest Due. What I SHOULD be paying. Principal Balance $3100 x (24.36% 365) X 31 = $64.13. What I am being charged? $180.48 3X the amount! I am contacting every agency with this discovery. You may also be a victim and if they refuse your request, its a civil rights violation and the FBI should be contacted. They have a section for internet complaints.

Original review: March 6, 2019

OneMain Financial was so kind and very understanding of my situation. My credit wasn't very good but I got my loan. I needed my loan for medical reasons and they was very prompt. They made me and my wife feel comfortable and wanted. They could have denied my request but they didn't. I will return there for my financial needs in the future. Thank you so much. I recommend them for your financial needs.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I had 2 separate loans through OneMain Financial. From the minute I walked in the door, everything was explained to me in detail, they did not try and hide anything. I never defaulted on my loan, everything went smoothly for the life of the loan. I would definitely use them again for a loan in a pinch.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I found OneMain Financial via Credit Karma (I assume they pay an advertising fee to be featured on their site). I applied for a $2500 loan, got an immediate email saying I was approved for an unsecured loan up to $2500 and secured up to $17,000...ok, makes sense so far. The rep called me and as we walked through the process the rep told me that I needed to bring the title of my car with me. I immediately stopped him and started asking him questions. He could not articulate to me the reason he needed me to bring my title besides that it was the law...I forgot to tell him that I am a 3rd year law student and if he was not a payday lender that required collateral for subprime loans, he would not need my car as collateral.

OneMain Financial is a RIP OFF. It is just another name for payday and title loan lender...it's just a little fancier. They prey of individuals like myself with fair or poor credit. I have worked to get my credit back on track and OneMain Financial is definitely a way to destroy it. RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN AWAY FROM ONEMAIN FINANCIAL - it is a RIPOFF!!! I do not knock their hustle, but it is definitely one that should be closed down because it is not only bait and switch, but they advertise deceptively.

OneMain Financial expert review by Barbara Friedberg

OneMain Financial has been in business since 1912. In 1998, their parent company, Travelers Group, merged with Citicorp and created Citigroup, a global financial services company.  In 2011, after many acquisitions, the company became OneMain Financial with 2,000 branches across 48 states.  This personal lender combines a variety of lending solutions with a comprehensive website complete with financial education articles, calculators and tools.

• Loan amounts: Loans range from $1,500 to $15,000, and the maximum loan amount varies according to state.

• Secured and Unsecured Personal Loans: OneMain offers both unsecured and secured personal loans. The secured loans may offer lower interest rates. The interest rates are fixed for the life of the loan.

• Flexible payment options and no prepayment: OneMain Financial allows borrowers to choose the date they make their payment and the method by which they pay - online, by phone or in person at a branch. There are no prepayment penalties when the borrower repays the loan early.

• 14-day guarantee: OneMain offers a 14-day risk-free guarantee; in other words, a borrower can cancel his loan and return the money within 14 days without penalty.

• Hardship assistance program: The company has a program in place that helps borrowers who encounter a financial hardship and cannot repay their loan.

• Community involvement: OneMain Financial shows their generous and community-minded philosophy by getting involved in many community service endeavors, as well as providing financial education throughout the U.S. for both adults and kids.

• Best for: People looking for an extensive library of information as well as loan options to refinance debt, fund financial hardship such as excessive medical bills and help with expensive home repairs.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg

OMF
    1912
    Formerly Named:
    Springleaf
    NTBS-2320 6801 Colwell Blvd.
    Irving