2. Finance
  3. Personal Loans

formerly Springleaf Financial

Compare Offers
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.98/5

OneMain Financial offers personal loans online and at 1,500 physical locations in 44 states. Customers can choose between unsecured personal loans, secured personal loans and auto loans. You can secure your personal loan with an automobile, RV or boat. In many cases, loans are available the same day you’re approved. OneMain Financial offers loans from $1,500 to $20,000.

BOTTOM LINE

OneMain Financial offers secured and unsecured loans with APRs up to 35.99% and terms up to 60 months. OneMain loans have fixed rates and payments and no prepayment penalties.

PROS

• Flexible term lengths
  • Secured and unsecured loans
  • Loans from $1,500 to $20,000

CONS

• Charges an origination fee

Top OneMain Financial Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about OneMain Financial?

The experience that I received was excellent and I would recommend OneMain Financial to anyone. The ladies would keep you up to date on what is going on with your loan and they were always working for me instead of feeling like a number.

They made my experience very smooth, easy and worked with me to get the loan approved. Best experience ever with a lending company. I will go back again if I ever need another loan. I highly recommend contacting OneMain Financial for all of your Loan needs.

OneMain Financial Compare Offers

You deserve a great loan.

Receive personal loan offers in minutes on Personal Loan Pro

Get started

You deserve a great loan.

Receive personal loan offers in minutes on Personal Loan Pro

Get started

What is OneMain Financial?

OneMain Financial is a lender that offers secured and unsecured loans to customers in 44 states. OneMain Financial’s loans have fixed rates and payments, and the company doesn’t charge prepayment penalties. You can check for loan offers on OneMain Financial’s website without affecting your credit score.

To apply for a personal loan with OneMain Financial, visit its website and complete the online application. You provide details like your:

• Desired loan amount
  • Name
  • Email address
  • Address
  • Date of birth
  • Social Security number
  • Monthly income and source of income

Once you complete the application, OneMain provides a quick loan decision. If you’re approved, visit a local OneMain Financial branch to verify the information you entered online and discuss possible loan options with one of its trained loan specialists.

OneMain Financial rates and terms

OneMain Financial charges APRs ranging from 18% to 35.99%. Rates vary depending on factors like credit history, income, debts and more. Term lengths start at 24 months and extend up to 60 months.

OneMain charges all customers a loan origination fee that is either percentage-based or flat, depending on the state you live in and the size of your loan. Flat fees range from $25 to $300, and percentage-based fees range from 1% to 10% of your loan total.

OneMain may also charge late payment fees, insufficient funds fees and government fees. Carefully read your loan contract for more information regarding these fees.

OneMain Financial FAQ

What kind of credit score do you need for OneMain Financial?
OneMain Financial doesn’t have a minimum credit score requirement. Your credit score is still an essential factor in determining your interest rates, loan terms and conditions with OneMain, though.
Does OneMain Financial hurt your credit?
Yes, your credit score typically drops a few points when you take out a personal loan with OneMain Financial because it involves a hard credit check. If you make timely payments, you can make up the difference over the life of the loan.
Can I get a loan with OneMain Financial with bad credit?
Yes, you can apply and qualify for a loan with OneMain Financial if you have bad credit. However, your interest rates are typically higher.
Can you skip a payment with OneMain Financial?
No, you can’t skip a payment with OneMain Financial. Skipping or missing a payment on your loan may result in late fees and interest charges.
Does OneMain Financial require collateral?
OneMain Financial’s secured loans require collateral. If you qualify for a secured loan, work with your loan specialist to determine what item you should use as collateral.

Is OneMain Financial legit?

OneMain Financial has more than 100 years of lending experience and offers unsecured and secured loans in 44 states. If you’re searching for a large loan company with in-store services, OneMain Financial may be a good option. Visit OneMain Financial’s website to start your application and see what rates you qualify for.

OneMain Financial Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OneMain Financial?

Original review: Nov. 25, 2020

Very satisfied with the service. I especially like Angela. She explained the loan process and everything done on line in the office. When I need money in a hurry One Main was the one, banks unless you got perfect credit won't even. I love the absolute about them. I love the direct deposit of my payment so it is never late monthly. If you need a loan I would recommend One Main Financial. Ask for Angela. Marlton NJ office.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

One Main Financial representatives truly care about you as an individual, are empathetic to your needs, and go out of their way to help. They are a reputable company and very easy to do business with. Payments are easy to set up on line. I highly recommend One Main Financial for your personal loan needs.

Get buying tips about Personal Loans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

OneMain looks for the best choices for me with payment options. I call and tell them what I need and in the same day they are calling me back with options for me. I love the "small town" atmosphere with them and how they assist me.

Original review: March 30, 2021

Their website says it won't affect credit scores. The Agent on the Phone took 10 minutes collecting all information. I affirmed that if I do not need an offer if they would do a hard check but they said they won't and then immediately placed a hard check on the account. Their agents need to be trained on differences between hard and soft credit checks.

Original review: March 5, 2021

Due to COVID, I requested assistance numerous times with me struggling to keep up with my payments. One Main Financial called me at 4 times a day every after refusing assistance. Finally, I stopped asking for assistance and may my payments without going into 2 payments past due. Then Texas winter storm caused additional issues with over 3,000.00 in pipe damages and very high Homeowners deductible. Therefore, this caused even a more financial hardship.

Again I was inundated with several harassing and debt collector tactic calls a day even from different One Main branches. I called my One Main Financial Branch in which I was told the manager was calling about my payment. The representative asked me to hold while I waited for the manager to come to the phone. The representative asked me was I affected by the Winter Storm and replied, "Yeah, with over $3000.00 in damages." He explained it would be a forbearance but without documentation. This concerns me without me signing paperwork.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2021

I am giving one star to the concept of borrowing a large sum of money at a high credit card rate. The fact that OneMain Financial specializes in these loans is why I am giving them one star. They are leaders in a sector of banking that I wish didn’t exist. But I am not mad in them, or even disappointed in them. I just wish I – and many others – hadn't needed them, or could have found a better way to get through without such bad loans. I am writing during a peaceful ending to an expensive relationship with OneMain Financial. I had an $11,000 loan (the product of being refinanced one time), and the interest rate was 27 percent. In the first 1-1/2 years of $345 payments, the principal dropped only $2,000. My interest payments in this period were more than $4,000. Yuk.

I made all the same mistakes with my loan that many other one-star reviewers did. I took the loan because they offered it to me. I paid little attention to the horrible interest rate. And I only later wanted out of the loan. Luckily, I have a 401(k) I can borrow out of, so I am self-re-financing this loan, which is unfortunate. But this OneMain Financial loan’s interest rate is really bothering me. By borrowing the pay-off out of my 401(k), I will drop my interest to 3.5 percent, and I will pay back my retirement account very aggressively, to do the least damage. And I will save myself from wasting another $4,000 in interest. Taking this loan was not a good move for my overall financial picture. I should have taken a second job. Nothing I bought with that money was worth wasting $4,000 in interest in just 18 months.

But I am not angry at OneMain Financial! They did not force me to take the money, they offered it. The interest rate and all the useless add-ons they offer are completely disclosed in the paperwork you sign. I declined all of their add ons. NOTE: They position those add-ons as required, and you can – like I did – cross out every one of them before signing. There is no predatory lending here. I signed for the loan, and that’s on me, not them. There was no coercion, no sleight of hand. Granted, this is hardly an A-Team of banking executives. It has the feel of a used car lot finance office, in the appearance of the staff and the behavior of some of them. But the borrowing transaction was honest and convenient. (It is NOT dishonest to charge a lot of money for a service.). To be expensive is not the same as being predatory.

For the person who is going to sue over predatory lending, you most assuredly will lose. To be a lender, any lender, is to be in the risk business. They are taking great risk in lending to those of us who have, or had at the time, poor credit. All lenders charge more for higher risk loans, and most refuse to lend to low credit score borrowers in the first place. Try to focus on the reality: at the time my score was barely 600, I signed my name and they deposited $11,000 in my checking account. $11,000 is real money. I was happy at the time. As the account aged, the regret started to set-in. Lately, refinancing this loan has become a bit of an obsession for me.

I am talking to you if you are considering one of these high-interest loans. Before you sign, is this absolutely necessary? Can the purchase(s) wait? Can you borrow the money from family, or out of retirement? Can you pick up a side job, in say delivery or security? Because once you sign, and they give you a big chunk of money, there will be a day when you are sad about the amount of interest you are paying. And you may or may not be able to re-finance. Don’t waste thousands and thousands of dollars in interest. Thank you for reading.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

Every month I am reminded what scum this company is. People, like myself, who are struggling apply for these loans because of emergencies. I understand interests rates but this is ROBBERY!! $300.00/monthly payments for only $20-$30 going towards the actual principal... This should be ILLEGAL!! How anyone with sense can give this place a good rating is fraud!!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2020

I had two loans with OneMain - Secured with a car - paid off and a consumer loan. I ran into some problems paying the consumer loan on time and they sued. Asked for about 35% more than what I owed. Then I negotiated a settlement with their lawyer and paid as agreed in court. Now they are trying to garnish my wages, not keeping to the agreement. They were very predatory while I was a customer, refinancing over and over again, then treated me terrible. Do not do business with OneMain.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2020

OneMain doesn't care about you. Just like any other company they only care about the $$$. I have been off work since March 2020. I finally applied for the unemployment insurance that I took with my loan. I was denied the insurance claim because I am receiving (PUA) pandemic unemployment assistance instead of regular (UI) unemployment insurance. To me being unemployed is being unemployed. What other thing could it mean?

Original review: Dec. 9, 2020

On November 19th, 2020 I was contacted by a OneMain rep to refinance a loan I had with them. So I submitted everything online and was contacted by a different rep to complete the process. Background, I have had 4 loans with Onemain. The first two I paid off early, the second two are active and one was being refinanced which would make it loan number five. So everything was fine and I even asked the rep since there was a payment due on the loan being refinanced should I expect the payment to come out or would the new loan override it. She assured me everything was fine and the money won't come out of my bank account. So we closed and I signed all the docs digitally. Was told to wait the 3 days for the money to be in my bank account.

By the third day when I checked my bank account, there was no deposit and the money for the payment was taken out. So I called and was told there was a "fund deposit issue" and they would call me back with answers. So a day and a half goes by with no return call. So I called and was handed over to a different rep. She said the same that there was a "fund deposit issue" and they were resubmitting my paperwork. Long story short, they never returned my calls, if a wanted any info as to what was going on I had to call them. On numerous occasions, I was told they would call me (even saying the branch manager would call me) but they never did. I as the customer always had to call them.

When I finally did get a call it was at 6:30 PM Friday evening and I was at the grocery store and right away the rep starts going over the closing statement. I let her know that I didn't have access to a computer to digitally sign the paperwork and we agreed that she would call me back on Monday between 3-6 PM. Well on Monday 6:00 PM came and went so I called them. The woman who answered the phone stated that the rep who was suppose to call me left for the day. I received a call15 minutes later and the rep I spoke with tried to explain that the whole process of "booking" the closing would have to be done all over again. So we agreed that she would call me the next day at 2:00 PM. Yes, you guessed it 2 PM came and went with no call.

She did however call after 3:00 to say they were having yet more issues and that she would call me later. I explained to her that in the past it would take two days at most and was wondering why we were now at the end of the second week and still couldn't get this done. I also asked her why no one from that office has reached out to the me to keep me informed on what was happening with their loan and why I had to keep calling them back (I waited some times a few days for a call but never got one). She had no response except to keep saying sorry. Well she never did call me back later.

So I called another lender Freedom Plus. Within 2 hours I had a loan for $20,000.00 with them paying off one of the Onemain loans and two other credit cards and put some money in my pocket. In two hours they made it happen, OneMain was going into week three with zero results, no calls from any reps being informative to the customer on what was happening, no planning with the customer on when the "closing" or "booking' was going to happen. Just one huge lack of any coordination on Onemain' s part all together as to NOT inconvenience the customer or in this case keep a long time customer. Prior to calling Freedom, I did call Onemain back one last time. After eight minutes on hold, I hung up. Lastly, the branch where I live knew about what was happening and filed a complaint with corporate. That was last week, still haven't heard back and doubt I ever will.

OneMain Financial Company Information

Public
    Ticker Symbol:
    OMF
    1912
    Formerly Named:
    Springleaf
    NTBS-2320 6801 Colwell Blvd.
    Irving