1.99/5

Need a personal loan company?

OneMain Financial

OneMain Financial, formerly Springleaf Financial, has been in the lending business for over 100 years. We are committed to serving our customers' unique situations and are dedicated to treating them with the respect they deserve.

Our experienced team has serviced 10 million customers and over $120 billion in loans. Let us help you take control of your finances!

View More View More

2943 OneMain Financial Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Applied for a loan that said I was approved. Submitted all information needed only to be called to inform me that they couldn’t approve my loan because my vehicles didn’t have a high enough value! I own 5 cars. 2001 Mercedes, 1997 Mercedes with only 60,000 miles and a 1998 Dodge. When they called I was just informed that they couldn’t process my claim. Waste of my time. So I did a title loan just on one vehicle for 1,250. Would never refer anyone to go here! Waste of my time.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I was solicited by email suggesting that I check my rate without harm to my credit score. After requesting a small amount I was approved for that amount and much more. I provided all of the information requested including accurate income details. I was approved but required to jump through time consuming hoops after agreeing to a credit score damaging hard pull of my credit report. After they received verification of exactly what I had reported they withdrew approval and declined any loan. Total waste of time and a scam.

Get expert buying tips about Personal Loans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I got the extra money I needed unsecured. When I got to closing I was explained my loan. Had I known I was getting the interest rate for unsecured loan I would have secured it. But when the branch is an hour away and you need money ASAP. You have to take what they offer at the time.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

OneMain was what I needed to get a loan and help my not so great credit score. I knew going in I was going to pay high interest for a loan from any loan agency. OneMain's Melissa was great to deal with. She told me upfront after reviewing my credit score a loan is possible but will be costly. We went over all of the conditions of the loan and she answered all of my questions. I have used OneMain twice and very pleased with the results.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

My initial experience was a positive one, I was approved and funded for a loan well above what I needed. Down the road, all my payments are on time and I've paid a little extra every month and I find myself in need again. I'm prequalified, call the branch office where the agent who helped me stressed over every little derogatory thing on my credit report - much better than when I first took out my loan, tells me to try again in a few months if I still need additional funding. Prequalified again a few months later, payments still on time, still paying extra... same scenario as previous time. My plan is to pay this loan off asap and not do business with them again. Thanks for helping me initially take responsibility for cleaning up my credit report a little.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OneMain Financial?

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

Completing my loan application was a great experience. I rec’d my requested amount in my bank a/c with 24 hours. The loan reps. at One Main made the application process very easy and stressless. AAA in my mind and I’d recommend One Main Financial for anyone!!!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

When I applied for a loan through OneMain Financial, I was offered a plan called Auto Plus. I was told that it provided legal services in addition to towing and travel, etc. I told the loan officer that I was going to move soon and anticipated problems with my crook of a landlord. He said, "Sure,just give them a call at the 1-800 number and they can help you with that." Turns out, my landlord isn't the only crook out there! I called when I needed legal advice and was told by the person at Auto Plus that it is only legal services related to my vehicle! I had been paying for this service and it is useless! I would say to everyone, do not do business with these people because they are liars outright! You will be promised the moon and get nothing!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I asked for 7000 $ to pay off my debt and provided them with all kind of documentation, such as proof of income, bank statements, employment verification, pay stubs. I even gave them my car details and insurance as they said they will use it as a collateral, and I was still being denied and discriminated against, cause I don't see any other reasons. Worse they put their dirty fingerprint on my credit and damaged it even more. I could still take it if it was a regular loan institution, but their people pretend to help those with bad credit and that's a lie.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

Had major repair I had to come out of pocket with. Had a previous loan with OneMain. Called a week ahead before my bills were due and explained that I need to see if I could receive funds. If not I needed to know so that I could arrange to call my creditors and let them know that I would be late. I was told that they would call me but never received a call. Called to find status and was placed on hold for long amounts of time and told that they were very busy and short handed and someone would call me back. Never did receive call back after several attempts.

I had to go into the store and the rep that assisted me was not in. Several days went by and finally a call stating that my loan could not be approved after going on web and dashboard stated it had been approved. This Put me in a bind because I needed time enough to contact creditors to arrange payments. Thank goodness I had money coming in to cover a $300 electric bill. The staff was unprofessional and didn’t seem to care. Now I can’t make their payment until late and have to arrange for everyone else to be paid late. I am glad that I have good credit and creditors didn’t give me any issues. As soon as I pay OneMain off I will not be obtaining any more money from them.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Borrowed 3500. Had to pay off 4800 or so. Had an emergency. Borrowed 500. Didn’t get the loan papers until next week when I looked at the loan papers my loan was 7800 to pay back. Come on! For 500 these people are ridiculous.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

My mother has had an account for 4+ yrs, pays her payment every month at the 3rd, due date is 6th, but has until 11th, never late, never behind, but every month they call her about her payment several times. Sometimes more than once a day, treating her as if she's not paying her payment. When she tells them she already paid her payment, they ask her if she wants to come to the office to set up a date to make the payment.

She constantly has to tell them she's already made her payment, stop calling her, yet they continue month after month. If she was behind, I would understand the calls, but she's very good with timely payments. She only took a loan from them to pay off medical bills, and Every time her loan gets close to being paid off, they offer her extra money, sucking her in for a refinance. Her credit rating is excellent, I believe they harass her to get her in to refinance again because she makes payments directly now, instead of going to the branch. Now every month she gets so upset from the calls, she's in tears because they harass her like she doesn't pay her bills. I would never recommend them, and I think they target senior citizens.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

My experience with OneMain has been nothing but satisfying. I have been utilizing this company for over 10 years (even through name changes) and has been nothing but a positive experience. The staff has always been friendly, helpful and professional. I would recommend this company to anybody. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

My experience seems to be very different from what I am reading. The representatives were professional and did not judge me or my circumstance. Everything was handled in a respectful way and I am pleased to do business with OM.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

This is a very deceptive company. We wanted to build a barn on our property and this was the finance company they work with. I filled out the first information form and got an immediate email that said we were approved. Then the insanity began! We own two pieces of property and are never late with payments. We own a business which has been in existence for 30+ years. Our credit scores are very good. We have hundreds of thousands in life insurance and receive a pension and social security. They wanted document after document.

At one point I asked Agnes, "How much are we asking for? Wasn't it just $10,000?" She apologized but the insanity didn't stop. More pay stubs, letters from my retirement, letters from social security. Each time she came back wanting more. Finally she wanted documentation of the amounts we receive for our adopted son. I refused, and we were unceremoniously refused the loan. I was left feeling like they were just gathering our information for dishonest purposes. I honestly expect our identities to be stolen and all our accounts drained. If they weren't willing to finance $10,000 to us, I can't imagine that there is anyone who will qualify for their financing.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

They lie, lie, and lie. I applied for a loan with the Carson branch in California after receiving an email stating I was approved. I asked them if this will show as a hard inquiry on my report and they said "no" it will only show as a light inquiry. I proceeded with the process only to be denied. Now my report is showing a hard inquiry that will not be removed until the next 24 months. Please beware of their misleading offers.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I have had loans in the past with this company, paid off, never any issues or even a day late. Have a small current loan 2/3rds paid off, again NO issues, never 1 day late. Attempted to borrow an additional 1000. For some emergency repairs, I was treated like a NEW Customer, no regards to my past history with them, gave them updated info, then they wanted more (fine). But the so-called branch mgr... CARMIN... The one handling the case, would not return my phone call, after she lied and said she would. Then after hours of waiting, called her, again ANOTHER LIE. She said she believed she did call. Not True, have Caller ID, so Unprofessional Branch Mgr, with no customer skills, but good fibbing skills. I would never recommend anyone to trust One Main Financial NORFOLK NE 68701, till they clean house first and foremost "CARMIN", Branch Mgr.

Original review: July 27, 2018

After looking for a place to do a quick loan to get me by I stumbled across OneMain. Did the application online and got an email shortly after saying I was APPROVED in very bold letters. After two phone calls to the local office and an hour on the phone I was told that I was not approved and that I needed a co-signer. Wife called up and co-signed and was still denied. So watch carefully and ask questions because if you get an email that says APPROVED in bold letters from OneMain after you submit an app it's just them baiting you.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I had the loan about 2 years, even went back to get additional funds about a year ago. Each payment deducted from my account each month without issue or problem. I started really looking at the loan and the fact that it seemed to not go down. I spoke with someone at the branch and they suggested I make additional payments. I did that and saw no change, upon review I saw they did not apply my additional funds to the principal... I called them on it and decided to pay off the account. I was quoted an amount, but was told by the branch manager to wait until the next week so he could fix the problem with the payments. I waited and then visited the website that Tuesday, made a payoff. The very next day I was charged an additional $64 that I still am not clear on why. I paid it to be done with the inept staff but I will never EVER deal with them again. They are crooks!!!

Original review: July 23, 2018

Credit Karma stated that I have an excellent approval odd for this company, which I went ahead and applied to consolidate my credit card bills. I was instantly approved for 9,000 unsecured or 15,500 secured (I pay all my bills on time). Message stated that a specialist will give me call to go over some things in regards my approved loans. After a few days, someone by the name of Julian finally called me. We went over some questions and he stated that he will have to send my application to underwriting and will call me back the next morning. Never heard back from him. So in a couple days, I called and spoke with him, he stated that underwriter can approved me for 5000 only and wasn't sure how to explain to me why.

He transferred me to his manager Penny. She stated that she will be able to probably approved me for 9000 with my truck as a collateral, and will call me back that late evening or first thing next morning. Never heard back from her either. I waited a few days to call them again. This time, Julian was out of the office, so I asked to speak with Penny. She got on the phone and sounded a little aggravated by the sound of her voice, and stated that Julian is out of the office and is still working on my loan.

So I told her, that I was transferred to her last week because Julian didn't know how to explain to me why I was only approved for 5000 (pretty much didn't know how to do his job) and she was supposed to be calling me back in regards my loan. Then she stated that their system is down, so she's not able to pull my information up that she will give me a call back as soon as the system comes up (now this was said at 10 am). She didn't call back until 2 pm, just to tell me that underwriter declined my approved loan.

Now how does any of this even makes sense. Sounds to me, like she didn't like for that fact that I put her in her place this morning, because she is managing an employee that doesn't know how to do his job and her as a manager is unprofessional for stating that she will give me a call back, and it never happened (and it's been almost 2 weeks now since I applied). So because of that, my application got declined. How did it go from, I was approved online for 9000 unsecured or 15,500 secured, to they can only approved me for 5000 unsecured, to they might be able to approved me 9000 secured, to not being able to approved for any loan at all. Tell me what you guys think???

I'm more upset for that fact that, I applied due to excellent odd (which I was approved) and jacked up my credit score for no reason, just because the people that worked in this local office is unprofessional. And I'm not crazy for even thinking that they will declined me for putting them in their place for being unprofessional (in a very nice, not rude way). I'm a underwriter case manager myself, so I know how stuff works in the underwriting world. Someone can be more than approved for a loan, but it just depends if the underwriter/manager want to deal with that client or not. That's how it works. I will give this company a 0 star if I had the option, but I don't. Oh well, it is what it is!!! Thanks for nothing!

Original review: July 22, 2018

I was very impressed with OneMain Financial. Their team took care of my loan needs quickly and with a very pleasant and professional attitude. I never once felt judged for my situation and was treated with respect. I would definitely recommend this company to anyone needing a loan!

Original review: July 14, 2018

Being in a hard spot I had to get a loan. With 42% interest I wouldn't recommend this place anyway. One of my friends was also in a hard spot. He asked where I got the loan. I remembered that they told me if I recommended someone I would receive $100. Do you really think they gave me that money? If you guessed no you are exactly right! The guy Garrett told me that I would get it after asking about it, so I waited a month never got the money so I called again. This time I spoke Hector the manager. He was very unfriendly from the start, put me on hold to figure out how to get around this issue that was in front of him. So he gave me a bs story why he couldn't give me the money. Bottom line don't use this place for a loan. Go to Avant. They are much nicer and will give you your reference money.

Original review: July 13, 2018

So far has been a pleasant experience with them, friendly, professional, and thorough. They gave me the loan when both of my financial institutes turned me down, my score isn’t perfect but my record with them is perfect. Therefore I would like people to know if they are turned down by others to give them a try. If anything happens in the future I will update this review.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I applied for $5,000 through Credit Karma because my chances of getting approved was “excellent”, I did get approved for $6,800 and was told to send in documents. I sent in everything that was required, then I was told to send in a couple more documents by Nate that was handling my case and that he would be able to get me closed out afterward. A day later I couldn’t even get in contact with Nate and had to deal with other reps and neither knew what to do. They said I had to do security questions, then they say I didn’t have to do security questions, then the questions wouldn’t generate for them. I was told to send in a W2, social security card, or one more other document (I don’t remember what it was) that shows the last four of my social security number.

I sent in a copy of my social security card that I had in my files, as my social security card was ripped in missing a number, and I sent a W2. So I sent in two of the three when only one was required. I was then told that I couldn’t use any of those documents and that they need to see the actual blue social security card, not a copy or a W2. (I took a screenshot of what was asked of me online for uploading documents.) And what they was asking was different from what the online uploading the documents part was asking.

I sent document after document with no hesitation and was told they would send it in and that I should be fine with the copy of the social security card and will be able to sign my loan agreement within the next couple hours. I called back after 4 hours and put my last 4 in, then the automated system told me I was denied, which was a shock to me because every other time I called, it kept saying that my application is almost complete. I just want to know who dropped the ball in my loan application process? How do I go from being approved for an amount larger than I asked for to being denied and no one can tell me why? Then when I asked for a supervisor, all of them all in a meeting and no one can help me. Very disappointed, and to think I turned down Avant because I “thought” the reviews were better for OneMain Financial, lies...

Original review: July 9, 2018

They did a rush job on me and by the time I started paying (I haven't missed any payments anywhere) after 2 years I pay 124 in interest and 126 in principal. No they won't return phone calls and honestly I would think that their practices are just barely legal. They are the most undesirable company I have ever worked with and I advise EVERYONE here and those I talk to to avoid them at all cost.

Original review: July 6, 2018

They may have an offer in line for you, but it's most likely "conditional," so as soon as you call to finish up the application they'll force you to finance more or deny you. For example, I just wanted a $5000 loan to consolidate credit card debt and they saw that I owed $30,000 on my car, so the "condition" was that I MUST finance $35,000 or no loan. This was AFTER pulling my credit, being "approved for a small loan." Be VERY careful and honestly don't use them if they can't tell you the truth upfront.

Original review: July 6, 2018

This place needs to be checked out. They approve you on the phone with the 800 number. When you call the office they tell you that you been approved and when you go in person they tell you that you haven't been approved, they ask for paperwork for what -they still going to denied you. You have to call them like 10 time for someone to answer and get information. They are a waste of time. They're no help and they full of **.

Original review: July 5, 2018

I had a previous loan with OneMain when my AC went out. (In the summer in South Texas not good!) OneMain helped secure me a loan to pay for the new AC. Then a financial burden struck my household and I was at risk of losing my home... Once again OneMain came to the rescue and helped save my home from being foreclosed on. They always are there to help me when a crisis hits our household. I don't know where I'd be without OneMain Financial!

Original review: July 5, 2018

The staff was very helpful and getting the loan was easy, I just wish the interest rate wasn't so high. I will use OneMain again but only if the interest rate comes down, now that I have been a customer.

Original review: June 30, 2018

I am a current customer and a financial crisis came up and I could not make my payment one month. They worked with me and refinanced that month within a few hours. That helped out so much for me. Thanks guys.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I hope someone can find this review helpful. If you are considering taking out a loan from OneMain don't do it, you will be paying it back triple. I made the huge mistake of taking out a loan from them but never again. I don't recommend them to no one.

OneMain Financial expert review by Barbara Friedberg

OneMain Financial has been in business since 1912. In 1998, their parent company, Travelers Group, merged with Citicorp and created Citigroup, a global financial services company.  In 2011, after many acquisitions, the company became OneMain Financial with 2,000 branches across 48 states.  This personal lender combines a variety of lending solutions with a comprehensive website complete with financial education articles, calculators and tools.

• Loan amounts: Loans range from $1,500 to $15,000, and the maximum loan amount varies according to state.

• Secured and Unsecured Personal Loans: OneMain offers both unsecured and secured personal loans. The secured loans may offer lower interest rates. The interest rates are fixed for the life of the loan.

• Flexible payment options and no prepayment: OneMain Financial allows borrowers to choose the date they make their payment and the method by which they pay - online, by phone or in person at a branch. There are no prepayment penalties when the borrower repays the loan early.

• 14-day guarantee: OneMain offers a 14-day risk-free guarantee; in other words, a borrower can cancel his loan and return the money within 14 days without penalty.

• Hardship assistance program: The company has a program in place that helps borrowers who encounter a financial hardship and cannot repay their loan.

• Community involvement: OneMain Financial shows their generous and community-minded philosophy by getting involved in many community service endeavors, as well as providing financial education throughout the U.S. for both adults and kids.

• Best for: People looking for an extensive library of information as well as loan options to refinance debt, fund financial hardship such as excessive medical bills and help with expensive home repairs.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg

OMF
    1912
    Formerly Named:
    Springleaf
    NTBS-2320 6801 Colwell Blvd.
    Irving