2. Finance
  3. Personal Loans

formerly Springleaf Financial

3.8/5 (412 ratings)
Compare Offers on Personal Loan Pro

You deserve a great loan.

Receive personal loan offers in minutes on Personal Loan Pro

Get started

About OneMain Financial

OneMain Financial offers personal loans online and at 1,500 physical locations in 44 states. Customers can choose between unsecured personal loans, secured personal loans and auto loans. You can secure your personal loan with an automobile, RV or boat. In many cases, loans are available the same day you’re approved. OneMain Financial offers loans from $1,500 to $20,000.

Pros

• Flexible term lengths
  • Secured and unsecured loans
  • Loans from $1,500 to $20,000

Cons

• Charges an origination fee

Bottom Line

OneMain Financial offers secured and unsecured loans with APRs up to 35.99% and terms up to 60 months. OneMain loans have fixed rates and payments and no prepayment penalties.

Top OneMain Financial Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

The experience that I received was excellent and I would recommend OneMain Financial to anyone. The ladies would keep you up to date on what is going on with your loan and they we...

Verified

They made my experience very smooth, easy and worked with me to get the loan approved. Best experience ever with a lending company. I will go back again if I ever need another loa...

You deserve a great loan.

Receive personal loan offers in minutes on Personal Loan Pro

Get started

What is OneMain Financial?

OneMain Financial is a lender that offers secured and unsecured loans to customers in 44 states. OneMain Financial’s loans have fixed rates and payments, and the company doesn’t charge prepayment penalties. You can check for loan offers on OneMain Financial’s website without affecting your credit score.

To apply for a personal loan with OneMain Financial, visit its website and complete the online application. You provide details like your:

• Desired loan amount
  • Name
  • Email address
  • Address
  • Date of birth
  • Social Security number
  • Monthly income and source of income

Once you complete the application, OneMain provides a quick loan decision. If you’re approved, visit a local OneMain Financial branch to verify the information you entered online and discuss possible loan options with one of its trained loan specialists.

OneMain Financial rates and terms

OneMain Financial charges APRs ranging from 18% to 35.99%. Rates vary depending on factors like credit history, income, debts and more. Term lengths start at 24 months and extend up to 60 months.

OneMain charges all customers a loan origination fee that is either percentage-based or flat, depending on the state you live in and the size of your loan. Flat fees range from $25 to $300, and percentage-based fees range from 1% to 10% of your loan total.

OneMain may also charge late payment fees, insufficient funds fees and government fees. Carefully read your loan contract for more information regarding these fees.

OneMain Financial FAQ

What kind of credit score do you need for OneMain Financial?
OneMain Financial doesn’t have a minimum credit score requirement. Your credit score is still an essential factor in determining your interest rates, loan terms and conditions with OneMain, though.
Does OneMain Financial hurt your credit?
Yes, your credit score typically drops a few points when you take out a personal loan with OneMain Financial because it involves a hard credit check. If you make timely payments, you can make up the difference over the life of the loan.
Can I get a loan with OneMain Financial with bad credit?
Yes, you can apply and qualify for a loan with OneMain Financial if you have bad credit. However, your interest rates are typically higher.
Can you skip a payment with OneMain Financial?
No, you can’t skip a payment with OneMain Financial. Skipping or missing a payment on your loan may result in late fees and interest charges.
Does OneMain Financial require collateral?
OneMain Financial’s secured loans require collateral. If you qualify for a secured loan, work with your loan specialist to determine what item you should use as collateral.

Is OneMain Financial legit?

OneMain Financial has more than 100 years of lending experience and offers unsecured and secured loans in 44 states. If you’re searching for a large loan company with in-store services, OneMain Financial may be a good option. Visit OneMain Financial’s website to start your application and see what rates you qualify for.

OneMain Financial Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OneMain Financial?

Original review: Aug. 23, 2021

I had a loan with One Main and my truck title was tied to the loan. I sold the truck and on August 2, 2021 the loan was paid off. It is now August 23, 2021 and the company that bought my truck still does not have the title. I will never deal with this company again and if you do be please be wary. The truck was sold to an established company, Tooele Auto, in Tooele Utah. One Main has held the title way too long.

Original review: July 11, 2021

One Main Financial sold me unemployment insurance and when I needed to use the insurance they denied my claim for the one and only thing I asked about when I purchased the insurance. They lied and told me, "Yes sir, it will cover your payment if your contract ends" which was a bald-faced Lie. So I ask you why would I buy insurance if I knew it would not cover anything? The answer is I wouldn't and I have paid for two years on this insurance, I feel like such an idiot but I was lied to and that is not cool. This company has no business ethics at all. Avoid One Main Financial completely.

Get buying tips about Personal Loans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 9, 2021

Please stay away. Interest rates high. Lie and never gave my husband paperwork Horrible rates. Liars. Hard get out of it. Customer Service horrible. Try other options. I want people get together class action lawsuit. Please be careful with loans.

Original review: June 29, 2021

This company is a lender of last resort and they know it. After a divorce, my credit was damaged and I need to make some emergency home repairs. In hindsight, I should have approached a family member first but I was too embarrassed by my credit score. One Main will lend you money when you have a credit score of 580 but it's going to cost you 35% and interest is a daily compound just like a credit card and that is flat out predatory. Avoid them at all cost if you can.

Original review: June 25, 2021

Debt Cycle to keep you In debt. OneMain is the worse gear to keep you in Debt. I Paid over 8000 on loan for 14000. Still owe 11476. Has not gone down much everything towards interest very little towards principal. Race motivated.

Original review: June 23, 2021

I opened a loan account with this company several years ago and never missed a payment and always on time. But due to Covid and my wife had major surgery on her right ankle that left her incapacitated. We had to buy medical equipment so that she could move around and enable her to maintain her hygiene etc. I requested from One Main to allow me to work with me on payments for 2 months max so I could get on my feet and maintain the payments that were over 500 a month. They refused to allow me any leniency and would call me and be extremely rude.

I think now that they preferred repo of my pristine 2014 Challenger SXT that was collateral for the loan. I have recently acquired a mortgage loan and delivered a check for the pay off of the loan and they increased the amount up over the 500 dollar..again they accused me of trying to scam them with a bogus check, which it is not and I have documented proof that it is a valid check of close to 17000.00! They refused the payment and insist that I owed well over 17000 in Hopes they can take my car in their possession ...This company should not be trusted and they need to be under investigation.

Original review: May 18, 2021

They email me to see my offers, They do not even show me a rate of interest, they right away get a hard inquiry in my credit, Without notice or warning. They call me to see if I would like to apply for the credit, I explain that I'm not interested and please remove the hard inquiry, The customer service representative shows that they don't care about my concern issue if you do not apply for the credit. Before you give them any personal information to see your pre-qualify be aware that they will affect your credit.

Original review: April 30, 2021

I've been paying my loans on-time since April 2020 (about 13 months). I borrowed $15k and my monthly payments are $569 a month. I'm so disappointed with how little my principal balance has gone down. I should have about half of the loan paid down by now if it wasn't for the ridiculous interest. Instead, I only have less than $2k of interest paid off after paying over $500 a month for this long. These loans are shameful - should be illegal.

Original review: April 27, 2021

I called requesting a refund to my account and I spoke to the branch manger and another representative. Both were extremely rude and unprofessional. The manager kept yelling and told me to call back then hung up the phone. I called back and no one picked up. I have tried calling this office from 10:13am to 10:38am over 41 times and no one was picking up the phone. They just let the phone rang and go to voicemail purposely. I left several voicemail and email. Never received a call back. Awful response time. I had to call the customer service number for them to reach the branch for me...horrible service quality. If I never had to deal with this Melville branch ever again I would prefer not to. They are rude tone of voice, unfriendly, unprofessional, doesn’t show concern for their customers, Can’t get a hold of a real person, Rude discourteous behavior, Lack of manners....just disgusting.

Original review: March 30, 2021

Their website says it won't affect credit scores. The Agent on the Phone took 10 minutes collecting all information. I affirmed that if I do not need an offer if they would do a hard check but they said they won't and then immediately placed a hard check on the account. Their agents need to be trained on differences between hard and soft credit checks.

OneMain Financial Company Information

Public
    Ticker Symbol:
    OMF
    1912
    Formerly Named:
    Springleaf
    NTBS-2320 6801 Colwell Blvd.
    Irving