1.66/5

Need a personal loan company?

OneMain Financial

OneMain Financial, formerly Springleaf Financial, has been in the lending business for over 100 years. We are committed to serving our customers' unique situations and are dedicated to treating them with the respect they deserve.

Our experienced team has serviced 10 million customers and over $120 billion in loans. Let us help you take control of your finances!

View More View More

2993 OneMain Financial Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 20, 2019

Was approved then go through everything. Then told wasn't... I first applied for a loan without putting anything up. They switched it to having to put my car up which was fine. Then after was told I was approved then have me go through everything. When it was time to go in going to tell me I didn't meet the guilds fully... Waste of time.

Original review: March 20, 2019

Applied for personal loan of $3000.00 for 2nd car to get new car off the road for a while, Decent credit score. Approved for $10,000.00. Requested interest rate info after all docs submitted and approved, told 35%. I said that's the max for GA, she said, "Well you can pay off credit cards," LOL, I said all 3 combined balances are less than $125.00... She said, "Well you have student loans," LOL, I said NOT paying 35% interest on student loans, I said, "Ok, just loan me the $3000.00 I originally asked for." She said our minimum is $3100.00 at which time I said, "No thank you."

I realized that their corrupted game is to MAX OUT interest rate laws in whatever state they operating in because in GA, personal loan interest rate should not exceed 17% if it is $3000.00 or less (unless put in writing). CREDIT KARMA, you should be ashamed for promoting this predatory lender. Think I will just delete my CK account and stick with my Credit Wise acct with Capitol One to manage/monitor my credit.

Get expert buying tips about Personal Loans delivered to your inbox.

Want to claim this page for your business? Learn More
    Original review: March 20, 2019

I have used OneMain Financial several times. The employees was so kind and very understanding of my credit situation. I needed my loan to pay a few bills. The only THING that I DISLIKE about this company is how they harass me with calls a day after the due day. If there is a grace period WHY do you have to call me every month. If I am 30 days behind then I would understand the calls. All you have to do is look at my payment history and see that I make a payment two or three days before the due date. I can't wait until my loan is paid off.

Original review: March 14, 2019

This location is horrible. Very unprofessional staff and most are not very well versed in their jobs! Stay away from this location! I went elsewhere! Alley was not knowledgeable about loans nor was she very professional over the phone! Was put on hold several times for no reason. Finally I hung up and went went another company and that process was wonderful!

Original review: March 12, 2019

Took out a loan, consolidated some debt, the loan ended up being a title loan. I have been paying on it for almost 2 years now, coming directly out of my account. Well, now my vehicle is not repairable and they will not release the lien so I can junk the car. I was told they had to run my credit again to see if they can release the lien. What kind of ** is that, you want my credit to take a hard hit so you can tell me whether or not you will release the lien. It doesn't matter to them that I have been paying on this loan for almost 2 years now, money comes directly out of my account and I have never been late. I didn't ask you to dismiss the loan. Just release lien so I can junk the car.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OneMain Financial?

Original review: March 8, 2019

Anyone who currently have or had a loan from these crooks need to request a copy ASAP. FROM THEIR OWN SITE. Principal Balance X (Annual Interest Rate/ Year Count) X Number of Days Since Last Payment. $6,000 X (24.36% 365) X 31 = $124.13 Standard Monthly Payment Amount – Monthly Interest Due. What I SHOULD be paying. Principal Balance $3100 x (24.36% 365) X 31 = $64.13. What I am being charged? $180.48 3X the amount! I am contacting every agency with this discovery. You may also be a victim and if they refuse your request, its a civil rights violation and the FBI should be contacted. They have a section for internet complaints.

Original review: March 6, 2019

OneMain Financial was so kind and very understanding of my situation. My credit wasn't very good but I got my loan. I needed my loan for medical reasons and they was very prompt. They made me and my wife feel comfortable and wanted. They could have denied my request but they didn't. I will return there for my financial needs in the future. Thank you so much. I recommend them for your financial needs.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I had 2 separate loans through OneMain Financial. From the minute I walked in the door, everything was explained to me in detail, they did not try and hide anything. I never defaulted on my loan, everything went smoothly for the life of the loan. I would definitely use them again for a loan in a pinch.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I found OneMain Financial via Credit Karma (I assume they pay an advertising fee to be featured on their site). I applied for a $2500 loan, got an immediate email saying I was approved for an unsecured loan up to $2500 and secured up to $17,000...ok, makes sense so far. The rep called me and as we walked through the process the rep told me that I needed to bring the title of my car with me. I immediately stopped him and started asking him questions. He could not articulate to me the reason he needed me to bring my title besides that it was the law...I forgot to tell him that I am a 3rd year law student and if he was not a payday lender that required collateral for subprime loans, he would not need my car as collateral.

OneMain Financial is a RIP OFF. It is just another name for payday and title loan lender...it's just a little fancier. They prey of individuals like myself with fair or poor credit. I have worked to get my credit back on track and OneMain Financial is definitely a way to destroy it. RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN AWAY FROM ONEMAIN FINANCIAL - it is a RIPOFF!!! I do not knock their hustle, but it is definitely one that should be closed down because it is not only bait and switch, but they advertise deceptively.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

Needed to consolidate 2 credit cards. Everything is done by computer, and they click click click. They did the acknowledgments their selves. Then click here to sign. Before I know it, large monthly payment. Insurance out the yin yang. Now after a decent credit score, mine is low. They do not educate people. I found out through mail my interest, my payment and insurance. She said, "This will be less than the payments you are making now." BS. It was higher, and now I am in collections, due to it. I should sue, but don't have the ability to. I can't buy a house thanks to this company.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

Insisted I use my car, They are holding my title. All of a sudden they stopped withholding on Nov 14 2018. They were at my car Wednesday at 10:00 PM. No paper work shown just took my car. The past year I have not had a job which I had informed them (75 applications). We have asked repeatedly for paper work explaining the arrangements. We asked for paper work showing the itemized repossessing. They have never cooperated in this area of paperwork. No I would not use this company again. They don't give a ** about people.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

I have been working to build up my credit for a while now and I finally made it into the 600s and was happy that I am being responsible with taking care of my credit. I used Credit Karma as a tool to help me apply for credit cards and loans because they let me know my approval odds. I recently applied for OneMain Financial and I wish that I had not done so. The only reason I applied for OneMain Financial is because Credit Karma said that I had excellent approval odds for a $2,000 loan I needed for car repairs. After reading the reviews and seeing they had good feedback from other customers I decided to apply.

OneMain Financial approved me for a loan up to $8,000, which I didn't need that much at all. After applying I had to talk to a rep from the local branch to schedule an appointment, but the rep said that I was not approved because of the value of my car which is a 2008 Altima. OneMain Financial approved me for a loan but they were going to use my car as collateral. Nowhere on Credit Karma or their website when you apply do they say anything about using your vehicle as collateral until after you apply and the inquiry hits your credit. The rep said that even if I applied for the minimum $1,500 I still wouldn't get approved because of my vehicle.

When I looked up the value of my vehicle on several websites including KBB, the value of my vehicle for each site was at least $2,500. So I'm not sure why OneMain Financial wouldn't accept my vehicle, and because they didn't, my score dropped and now I have an inquiry on my credit for no reason even though I had excellent approval odds and was approved for up to $8,000. Be aware because the reviews may be misleading or created by people that just work for the company.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

For the last 3 years, I have worked diligently to raise my credit score so I would be able to obtain a mortgage so I can buy a home. One of the ways to do this is by obtaining credit, and maintaining the credit in a responsible manner. I received an email from OneMain Financial advertising an opportunity to obtain a loan, in which email I was assured that my credit score would not be affected by my responding to their advertisement (The first page of the attachment is the email I was sent by OneMail Financial). I responded to their advertisement and filled out an application expecting that my credit score would not be affected. At the bottom of the application, I was again assured that this would not affect my credit score.

The same day I was notified by my Experian notification system of a change to my credit score. Upon logging on, I was notified by Experian that my credit score had been reduced by seven points. I believe that OneMain Financial obviously lied about the effect on my credit score in order to entice me to apply, in spite of the fact that if I had known that doing so would reduce my credit score I would have declined to do so. At best, this is an unethical advertising practice, and at worst, may be illegal. I wish to lodge a formal complaint against OneMain Financial for subjecting me to untrue or misleading advertising practices.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

I first have to say, after reading several recent reviews. I’m quite confused about the write ups. Some being shocked about the high interest, but they accepted it when they reviewed their docs prior to signing and accepting the loan. One person was upset because they were later asked for collateral i.e. a car to secure the loan after being pre-approved although they said they were approved. Not true, as OneMain operates like every other lender. 1st you submit your docs for pre-approval, then a rep calls to verify your info and check out your actual facts. Then all that info is sent to an underwriter. That’s who makes the final decision, not the sales rep/loan servicer you're on the phone with. Lastly, someone gave a 1 star because they late on payments due to being consumed with a sick spouse. And was upset with the rep for not helping as much as they felt they should have been helped.

Two issues with this review; you default on your bills, they come every month like click work how you forget... When they were calling you 100x and you ignored the call and the voicemails, that was them trying to work out. Lastly, when you take a pan from OneMain they ask you if you would like to buy insurance for a few more dollars to cover you to the life of the loan in case you have a problem paying. You roll the dice when you choose no! People this is a high interest credit lender for people with bad credit, no credit etc.. Bottom line you’ve been denied credit at other lenders who do not trust you to pay the money back. So, yes OneMain will lend you the money... maybe but you will pay a high interest and you may have to put up collateral if your credit is really jacked! But, no one is going to give someone money (who has poor money habits) for free!

Here is the deal if Credit Karma recommended them for you and not JP Morgan Chase Bank that’s because you have poor credit standing. I am no exception to that rule, but I knew what I was walking into with the high interest rate, I did not need to put collateral up and what they said I was approved for, that’s what I got a check for. I am on my 2nd loan with them. I paid the first one off with the 2nd one early to build my credit standing. I have a plan to pay my 2nd one off early with out of pocket funds, so that I’m not paying 2x more back as my interest rate is 16%. But my payment is low and manageable so that I am assured to never miss a payment.

I have insurance in case I get sick and cannot work, and I’m not blind to the fact that this is a ** loan but they were the lender that took a chance with me when no one else would not have. My credit went into toilet after several job lost and failed business and a sick husband, so I’ve had all these issues these people have had but blaming my poor money management, inability to read the leading docs, and my acceptance of a high interest loan on the lender. Bottom line, OneMain is very upfront with who they are. I think some folks need to do a better job at reassessing who they are and their needs. OneMain is a great lender for people with bad credit. They are way better than a payday lender. I would recommend them if you have good credit, healthy cash flow and collateral.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I found this company through Credit Karma. Credit Karma had this company (OneMain Financial) as very highly debt consolidation approval for me, taking in consideration all my credit information and past and current history; just to mention it. It's common knowledge Credit Karma have it if any person sign up with them. Before I put all my credit information in one main financial website to get approve, the only requirements were and valid ID, proof of income, and that they were going to verify that my utilities and rent or mortgage monthly payments were not more than my income to afford them; which are not and that's all they need it.

I sent all my documents and fill up all the blanks with my credit and personal information in their (OneMain Financial) website and I was approved ($6000) but now they were adding a collateral; a car for me to have as collateral. Next day their local office call me and ask me few personal question. I told them I did not really need it $6000 but they told me that did not matter the amount i still need it to have a car as collateral. I did not continue.

Now I am rating this company one star because they claim in their website all they need for to approve you it is for you to have a job and proof of it and the utilities and mortgage comparison against your income but never about a car as collateral after they have use your information and created for you an inquiry in your credit report. Why after they create for you an inquiry checking on your information? Why the don't they at least mention that there will be a great chance of the need of a collateral? Inquiry in your credit may not always bad but if there is not need of them even more when some company comes up with tricks and not been clear from the start why to have it. They just cost a no need result just because they just like tricks and not be clear from the start. We do not need these types of companies either. Do not use them.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I wanted to give 0 stars but could not! Do not do this to yourself!!! I took out a loan for 3000 and when I’m done paying, if I pay 140$ per month, I will end up paying 5000 on this loan. I have been paying monthly payments of 140 for 18 months and I still owe 2000!!!! This is one of the biggest mistakes of my life. This company takes advantage of people in need. Never again!!! And on top of that they gave my information to every high interest loan crook around and now I get tons of junk mail!!! Scam, scum. Not sure how the employees can sleep at night!!!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I had fallen behind in loan payments because my spouse was seriously ill and I was paying all the bills. I should of called sooner but had other things like his health on my mind. I finally did. A nice young man made arrangements with me. Said if I keep the next three. The balance will go to end of loan and out of collections. He also told me if any issue comes up call back and let them know so they can work with me.

Today 01-25-19 I called to ask for a 1 day extension from 01-31-19 to 02-01-19. I had to pay an unexpected bill this morning and to not have the electronic payment bounce and get hit with penalty from bank or OneMain. I called and what did the case manager say, "Can you pay less?" Did she hear what I just told her? Incredible. She also said, "I cannot promise it will not go to legal action if not paid." What a bunch of Crooks. They charge high interest and are unworkable. I know collections for 30 years. They could of extending for a day. But they a cruel and heartless. A bunch of blood sucking pythons. I will never do business with this company again once paid in full.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

After telling the branch that I would be paying my entire loan balance off in 17 days of my January due date, I got daily calls regarding a 5-day late payment (never late before ever in 3 years) and advise I would be paying it completely off in 17 days of the due date. Today I got another call (third one, and the worst one) threatening me that if my loan is not paid by 1/31/19 it would be reporting as a 30 day late on my CBR which is a complete violation of the FCRA, my loan due date is Jan 17, 2019. Jan 31st my loan WILL NOT BE 30 days past due, so this company CANNOT report my loan as being 30 days late. This was a threat on me and I know my rights as a consumer, and am not happy with the LACK of customer service I got today.

Again, an ACH customer that NEVER gets calls or calls in, I pay on time every month, and have for 3 years. I will NEVER engage in another personal loan with ONEMAIN again after being told that I will have a 30 day late on 1/31 with a due date of 1/17. This is an unfair practice, and against the Fair Credit Reporting Act. I will be reaching out to the BBB, CFPB, FCRA and Consumer Affairs along with making contact directly with Doug Shulman about this outrageous encounter with this branch in Carrollton TX.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

OneMain Financial was first to call me and she took my information to put in my application in for a $2500 personal loan. She said she’d call me back. About a couple hours later she calls me back to let me know I was approved for up to $8000. The same day I drove to sign on the loan. I was deposited the funds the next business day.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I just recently signed up with Credit Karma and found out that I qualified for a consolidation loan with OneMain Financial for $3,700, which is the exact amount of my total credit card debt. Great! I can have everything in 1 easy payment per month and a set date of completion, rather than paying various cards and juggling multiple log-ins and credit limits for who-knows how long. I clicked on the link and after entering my financial info, it said that I was approved... For $9,700?! After doing a hard inquiry on my credit. :( I never asked for anywhere near that amount of money. **Strike 1!**

I then got a call from OneMain Financial from the person who said that she would be the one working with my loan (she wasn't). **Strike 2!** I already entered my info online and also uploaded financial documents to prove income, etc. Why are we doing this all over again if I provided physical evidence? Why has there been zero discussion about the actual loan amount (that was triple my original request) or the interest rate? A few days later, I get a call from a man who is supposedly the one who will be REALLY taking care of the account (he isn't). He says that I am approved and his underwriter will have an answer for him in about 15-20 minutes. I don't hear back from him for SIX DAYS! **Strike 3!**

The man calls me back this morning and decides to casually mention that I am approved for the loan and that I could qualify for more! Great! Except that: 1) I will need to come to the branch office in person to do a loan closing, 2) He wants additional documents that he did not request before and, 3) the branch office is 2 hours away. **Strike 4!** Nope! I express my obvious concerns about all of this over the phone and then he suddenly says he has to go into a meeting but he will call me back in a few minutes. Of course, he doesn't call back. I call him back this afternoon to cancel the loan request and he then says "Sorry, your loan has not been approved by the underwriter." Really?! They were ready to loan me money 4 hours ago! The only thing that changed from this morning to this afternoon was that I gave OneMain Financial a justified criticism about their bait-and-switch loan tactics.

Do NOT do business with this company. I am actually lucky. I was already going to turn them down, so it worked out. I have more money than I owe (barely), so I can suck it up and just pay off my current debts the slow and old-fashioned way of budgeting and working. But many people in America are not so lucky and predatory lenders are a scourge on honest citizens. Please choose a different company if you wish to take out a loan!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

OneMain Financial is the shadiest company I have ever dealt with. They use deceptive tactics in their business dealings. WARNING. BE VERY CAREFUL OF THIS COMPANY. I hate I was caught up in their scheme and now I am trying to pay this loan off as quickly as I can. I will tell everyone I know to not do business with this company. Everything they do is shady. Please don't let yourself be one of their victims. They ran my credit without me knowing what they were doing and ruined my credit. They call you about a lower payment and have you thinking it's a soft query. It's not! Also, watch how they try and set up an insurance policy. AGAIN, WARNING. I am still asking them to remove the query and they first lied and told me Experian had to remove it. Experian filed a complaint against them too.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I don't currently have CC so we buy things cash. When looking for a loan to avoid expending too much cash all at once for our trip tickets, I came across OneMain Financial. Easy process. We were skeptical because we own 4 vehicles and they asked all the info for the vehicles - weird. They turn around giving us very little money for one of the vehicle and with an outrage interest rate. No thank you. We pay cash or go to a traditional bank as we should. I was upset because they never mentioned that during the whole process till the end. So I advise to be careful, do your research before going with anyone that looks too easy to be true.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Don't take a loan or sign your life away to this company. They will make your loan a living hell because they don't put their loans in collections or work with you properly if you cannot pay. Instead they harass you and your contacts with phone calls. Mail you threatening letters. They will take you to court to get money back for loans not paid if they have to and you could go to jail. There are better loan companies and interest rates to deal with these guys. You will regret taking a loan from them. With their tactics there is a reason they take a chance on guys when no one else will because they know they can make your life a living hell compared to other loan companies if you default or just cannot pay what they are asking for.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

The application process was easy. I submitted all documents online and received a call back same day. The issue was there was a disconnect with the bank they used in New York and their follow up process is horrible. They called a week later and left me a message. I returned the call assuming we were all set to go ahead with the loan, but the woman said they were still reviewing and would call me back. They claim they tried to reach me twice while I didn't hear back and when I logged in online it stated I only had a few days as the loan would expire. I called them again and they said my credit was ran and the loan had already expired. There was never an email letting me know they were still reviewing or a call back regarding the loan expiring. The worst experience and now my credit score is lower and I have no loan!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

Please know that One Main Financial has the type of payment structure that goes almost exclusively to the interest, not the principal, at the beginning (and for quite a while during the lifetime of the loan I assume). I was new to getting a loan and didn't realize that that was how the repayment was structured. It took a couple of months for me to realize it. The realization hit me one day when I was looking over my statement and I saw that the principal of my loan had only gone down $11 although my monthly payment was $339.68. I immediately started looking for a better consolidation loan and was able to get a new loan through my credit union (with a MUCH better interest rate).

The upshot is that I borrowed $10,000 from One Main (plus I signed up for some of their insurance but I don't know how to calculate that into this). After seven months of paying $339.68 towards my loan, my pay off amount was $9895. In other words, I paid $2377.76 on my 10K loan over seven months, but only $105 of that amount went toward the principal. RUN!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I recently ended business with this loan company with a balloon payment done to pay off a small loan with them of 5k which I took out 6 months ago. In those six months I was paying my term way over the minimum and on time every month. Now today in which I decided to pay off the loan in full to finish with that debt. They decide to screw me charging me late fees when I never ever did a late payment and they charge me for some insurance that I never agree on, and as well the balance that I had left over the payments I had done, wasn't the final balance.

They decided to charge me another $100 because just paying off my balance wasn't enough for them, so I am taking action against this company and I do not recommend this company at all even if it works with slightly challenged credit, because it is obvious its there target demographic and they feed off people that don't have all the means to pay of loan fast and even if you do have the means and go into one of there local offices they lie and try to avoid explaining details about what that is charging you on and breaking it down as much as possible. It seems pretty shady, as it was, terrible company, look elsewhere, consumers be warned, or literally pay the price 2.5x the value of the loan you took out.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

In the beginning, One Main Financial was wonderful! I was approved rather quickly and even when I fell behind, they offered to re-fi my loan which allowed me to skip a month during the Holidays! But my health continued to challenge me and I fell behind again. The phone calls started, one to four per HOUR. When I called the branch I was insulted and belittled. It was beyond anything that any of my other creditors had ever done. But, I understand, it was my fault for falling behind. HOWEVER, I finally got better and I paid the loan off in full in one payment. Almost $8, 000.00... And the phone calls continued. They claim that although I paid the loan off in full, I miraculously still owe almost $1K in daily interest. I've had some bad decision loans before but NEVER have I been told that I still owe after paying a loan in full. There are other loans out there. PLEASE do not use One Main!!!!

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

You keep making payments and be late and you will keep paying until you die. You make a 188.00 payment and a few dollars go to your balance. If you pay extra on your payment it does not go to your principal. They need to be out of business!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

We've been with OneMain Financial for years. Already we needed some extra money to fix our vehicle and they had already have that loan with them so they tell us we were approved and we get to our appointment and they tell us they couldn't give us loan because the person that had applied for it couldn't comprehend. Kathy was a lady's name. She couldn't understand anything and she thought the other person didn't understand what she was telling him. I think OneMain Financial is just a lying piece of ** so OneMain Financial is not a good place to go.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

I had been paying OneMain Financial for over a year or so on a $3000 loan. I got the loan down to half of that and was running behind on the payment for November. I received a phone call from OneMain in November stating that they were running a special and I could wait until December to make a payment. Well, I needed new tires for my vehicle and asked if I could get a $500 loan and they said the most they could do was $499. So I go in to sign the paperwork and was told that the monthly payment was going to be $191 instead of what I was paying which was lower.

After I signed the paperwork the $499 on the loan seemed to bring the whole loan amount back to almost $5300. What the heck! What they did, without fully disclosing their intention, was refinance the loan which jacked my payments up, and now I have over $5300 that I have to pay back. All they could talk about was "the special" in November. What the special actually is, is refinancing your loan so they can make more money and the agents get a spiff for closing it. It's an unfair practice and somebody needs to take a look at it. No one verbally told me that they were refinancing a loan.

OneMain Financial expert review by Barbara Friedberg

OneMain Financial has been in business since 1912. In 1998, their parent company, Travelers Group, merged with Citicorp and created Citigroup, a global financial services company.  In 2011, after many acquisitions, the company became OneMain Financial with 2,000 branches across 48 states.  This personal lender combines a variety of lending solutions with a comprehensive website complete with financial education articles, calculators and tools.

• Loan amounts: Loans range from $1,500 to $15,000, and the maximum loan amount varies according to state.

• Secured and Unsecured Personal Loans: OneMain offers both unsecured and secured personal loans. The secured loans may offer lower interest rates. The interest rates are fixed for the life of the loan.

• Flexible payment options and no prepayment: OneMain Financial allows borrowers to choose the date they make their payment and the method by which they pay - online, by phone or in person at a branch. There are no prepayment penalties when the borrower repays the loan early.

• 14-day guarantee: OneMain offers a 14-day risk-free guarantee; in other words, a borrower can cancel his loan and return the money within 14 days without penalty.

• Hardship assistance program: The company has a program in place that helps borrowers who encounter a financial hardship and cannot repay their loan.

• Community involvement: OneMain Financial shows their generous and community-minded philosophy by getting involved in many community service endeavors, as well as providing financial education throughout the U.S. for both adults and kids.

• Best for: People looking for an extensive library of information as well as loan options to refinance debt, fund financial hardship such as excessive medical bills and help with expensive home repairs.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg

OMF
    1912
    Formerly Named:
    Springleaf
    NTBS-2320 6801 Colwell Blvd.
    Irving