formerly Springleaf Financial

4.1/5 (443 ratings)

Check Your Personal Loan Rates

It's free and won't impact your credit score

About OneMain Financial

OneMain Financial offers personal loans online and at 1,500 physical locations in 44 states. Customers can choose between unsecured personal loans, secured personal loans and auto loans. You can secure your personal loan with an automobile, RV or boat. In many cases, loans are available the same day you’re approved. OneMain Financial offers loans from $1,500 to $20,000.

Find Personal Loans partners near you

Pros

• Flexible term lengths
    • Secured and unsecured loans
    • Loans from $1,500 to $20,000

Cons

• Charges an origination fee

Bottom Line

OneMain Financial offers secured and unsecured loans with APRs up to 35.99% and terms up to 60 months. OneMain loans have fixed rates and payments and no prepayment penalties.

OneMain Financial Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OneMain Financial?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about OneMain Financial?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

I called them because i was pre approved for a loan. All they were worried about was getting my vin number to my vehicle. They weren't explaining nothing at all to me on why they need my vehicle info. He said they can possibly pay it off and give me my 4000 loan and make my payments the same and I can pay it off in 6 years. No way. This is totally a scam. The person was so rude whoever I was talking to. Do not do it.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

I just want consumers to know that One Main loan company is a rip off. I took this revolving loan out in 1996 for 15,000.00. At the same time I took out a 15 year home equity loan of $80,000.00. I'm almost finish with paying that loan off and is yet to see a dent in the loan I took out with One Main financial. I need someone to investigate them and find out why I have not seen any change in the amount I borrowed. Something is not right.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

They sent an app for an unsecured loan of $15,000. I didn't need it, I work for a good paying company so I could usually take care of my own things, however I was buying my son a car I saw on a site for his birthday/Christmas gift. Nothing special, just a reliable good first car, so I decided ok a small maybe $3000 loan would be ok, Pay it off in couple months of overtime. They kept asking for this paper or that document, of which by the time they kept running it was dropping my score each time. Then after a headache and a run around they said no like 3 weeks later. Basing it ONLY on 1 income source, when I have 3 others and the fact They ran my info so many times it was a fiasco. I called my credit union which I should've done since the beginning. Don't trust this mess, Go to a reputable lender.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

They made my experience very smooth, easy and worked with me to get the loan approved. Best experience ever with a lending company. I will go back again if I ever need another loan. I highly recommend contacting OneMain Financial for all of your Loan needs.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

I took out a loan with OMF last july. It was quick but they gave me 31% apr on an 8k loan payable in 5 yrs! I asked it to be in 2 yrs but they refused. They said my monthly payment is 250 a month so i gave in. But then it turned out to be 315 monthly because they said the interest is DAILY! So if i paid it for 5 yrs it would be 18600 total! They live up to their name of being loan sharks! Also, they took out almost 1k for that loan as fees. I paid for 4 months total of 1300 but my loan balance was still 7760. Out of 1300, only 300 was credited to my loan???? Siyet!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

Predatory lender that brings you in on the assumption that you have gotten approved for a loan and then renege. They want your car as collateral and even then don't come through with the offer they told you about on the phone. Waste of time and SO SO relieved it didn't go through especially after reading these reviews. These people really did me a favor by turning me down.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

This is only my personal opinion. When you are desperate and overwhelmed with debt. It is so easy to fall prey to predatory lenders with a "I am here to rescue you approach". Like a child we fall right into their greedy hands. They make it seem so easy that you actually have blinders on and before you know you are literally in a financial trap.

For me I did my research after I became a consumer....bad mistake on my part. I will only speak on #1 loan because believe it or not I have two. #1 loan has a remaining balance of 2239.18 and it is deducted from my bank on the 5th of every month.... I have paperless billing so I wasn’t watching the bill every month. Trying to see where my balance was in 6-8 months. I could not believe it. It was slowly moving, so I looked at my bill and was shocked to see October statement. I pay them $134.54 each month and $68.37 went toward the principal and $66.17 went to interest.

So I called the 1-800# to try to lower my interest rate because I felt it was excessive. She transferred me back to the East Point branch and I explained my concerns. She tells my rate 35% and it was based on my credit score and the loan was unsecured. I told her I didn’t feel my credit score warranted that score and if it is unsecured I wanted my daughter car title back so I could give it back to her. I feel they be enriched both ways. I just hung up upset.

Now my #2 loan is 19.+percent. I am the same person and I put my car up for collateral. My credit score could not have been that different. It’s may not be the best right now because of my situation but it is still between 627-640. I have learned a hard lesson but if I can stop someone else from making the same mistake I did. I feel that this legalized loan sharking....just be careful while desperate.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

This company will only give you a loan if it is a SECURED LOAN with you using collateral. I applied for a UNSECURED personal loan for $9,200 with the pre offer that was sent to me via email. I had explained how, I didn’t want a secured loan at all. I talked to Sundae, and she had informed me that I could get a unsecured loan if it was offered. I sent all of the documents that where needed to the branch, and I have a 756 credit score with Experian. I called several times on yesterday to speak with Sundae wanting to make sure that, I process everything right. I can tell she was getting a attitude with me after the third call, but that is her job to speak with me following the loan process. Now I make 6 figures a year, and just wanted the loan to make a large furniture purchase. I just knew I would get approved, because I have every single thing that was needed including excellent credit.

I received a call from Sundae this morning telling me my application was declined. I was baffled, and asked her why was I denied? She kept telling me she didn’t know THEY DENIED ME! Who is they? I told her I would just call the corporate office, and she said they could probably tell me why my loan was denied. She said that they don’t give them the reasons why the application was declined at the local branch. WHAT???? That sound crazy! So I called the corporate office, and they told me since the local branch processed the application they were suppose to tell me the reason why. They kept telling me only the local branch have all of that information, and that they couldn’t assist me. The rep that I was talking to Sundae lied to me saying that she didn’t know why my application was declined. I know for a fact, because I didn’t want to take the secured loan giving collateral that is why they denied me.

One Main have hundreds of reviews all over online regarding THEM ONLY WANTING A CAR TITLE OR A VEHICLE to get a loan. After, I told Sundae that, I didn’t want to use my vehicle she said she STILL had to put my vehicle vin number, and information in to proceed with the application. This entire company don’t want to give loans nor lend money UNLESS you are giving them some of your assets! Then Sundae lied like they pull Equifax and they pulled experian! UGH! I regret ever even applying for a loan with them, because they are the worse!!!! At this location they try to act all nice, and want you to do the application. Only to deny you IF YOU ARE NOT DOING A SECURED LOAN WITH A VEHICLE!!!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

This company should not be allowed to do business. They mislead you into loans and try to get you to use anything you have as collateral. In case you default they will not work with you. I was on the verge of default and they said that they can no longer work things out and they were going to file civil charges. Most lenders allow you a certain amount of time to get caught up if you get behind. These guys don’t. If you do decide to get a loan with them be careful what you say the loan is for. Do not mention Alimony, student loans, taxes, or child support. If they try to get you to say any of those things, they are trying to set you up for wage garnishment in case you default. Find another option and do lots of research. Not with the headache.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

I initially took out the loan to pay my taxes, knowing I would pay them off in a few months. My original loan was for $5500 payable for $9000 if I hold the loan for 4 years. I paid $3000 within the first month. However I am still responsible to pay the full $9000 or the loan will not be satisfied, because they do not pay the reduce the balance, they just push the payment due date out 2 years. They will not accept payments from a credit card with a much lower APR%, so I sent them a convenience check in the mail, because they told me I had to mail it in to pay off my ridiculously high APR they were charging me for. They rejected the convenience check.

In other words they make it impossible to pay off the debt at a much lower rate from somebody else. To make things worse, they did not even notify me that they were rejecting my convenience check payment, I had to call them several times after 2 weeks to allow time for mail, only to find out that my payment did not post, and was rejected.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

The ladies at OneMain Financial of Chesapeake were so prompt and professional. The experience that I received was excellent and I would recommend OneMain Financial to anyone. The ladies would keep you up to date on what is going on with your loan and they were always working for me instead of feeling like a number.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

Do not rely on pre-approval letters from OMF. I would not even bother with the lender if not their letter, that I used, and allowed to put hard inquiry on my credit file. In the meantime I had already signed loan with Upgrade Inc. which I have not finalized yet (who btw, signed me with the soft credit pull! Check that company if in temporary financial crisis). OMF took few days to review my case, I was tempted by slightly better % rate and less origination fee, declined me and in the meantime I lost that mentioned opportunity as the signed loan expired and could not be retrieved due to OMF's additional hard inquiry. If your credit situation is so so, check Upgrade Inc. Not recommending OMF and will never ever consider them.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

This company is misleading at best. If you are in a desperate financial situation and absolutely need a loan, do not consider this company. Companies like Onemain should not be allowed to operate. They prey on the desperate and quite frankly not too intelligent individuals! Yes, I consider myself "stupid" for taking out a loan with this horrible company. The customer service is poor, at best! Their reputation is awful! The owners of this company should all be brought up on legal charges. If this is not loan sharking then I'd rather take out a loan with the mob! Stay away from this misleading, borderline illegal, horrible, awful, devious, borderline fraudulent company!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

I was approved for a loan, but they wanted to use my car as collateral. They said they would pay off the $6K left on my car and give me $1K cash. Here is where this loan offer is illogical: They wanted a payment of $268 monthly at 24.4% APR for 5 years totaling more than $16K by the time I paid it off. I would have to pay more than 100% of the loan, just to get $1000 cash and $80 off my car payment monthly (I only have 20 payments left on my car). That is financial insanity.

Beware! Do the math, and don't fall into their trap.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

The process of applying and getting the funding is pretty easy with OneMain. All their fees and the process are upfront. They have very high interest rates, but keep in mind that they finance the high risk group. If you have a bank account with stable income, it's hassle free to make payments from checking account. As long as you are responsible there are no trouble. Personally my experience with OneMain was great. Their local branch staff are very helpful and they don't judge you based on your situation. The borrower needs to be responsible in paying back on time. I would highly recommend them to my friends who might be in urgent need of money with average credit.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

Made an application online for a personal loan to consolidate 3 credit card that I have. I was approved for 8000 loan for a insecure loan to pay 36 month. Few days later an agent contacted me and asked me few question. Now he said I was approved but if I include it my car loan. Jjaja. I only has one year and half to pay my car. And now the only way for them to approve the 8000 loan is include my car loan with them and pay them a 5 years loan. My car has a 3.99 apr now. They offer me a 20.99% apr if I put my car car loan with them. And pay it in 5 years. These people think we are stupid. They just take advantage of you if you don't press attention of what they offer. Do not use this people. The local office of onemain financial in Hialeah Florida. Are very rude. They treat you like you are an animal.. Very unprofessional.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

OneMain Financial is just another title loan company. They run your credit, your get approved and then they want you to upload your vehicle registration and proof of insurance. Their interest rate is 24.49%. They are paying to have their "stuff" pop up on Credit Karma and other sites baiting people to apply. The amount they claim you are approved for is not the amount you will actually be approved for. They are supposed to help in debt consolidation, and while this may be true, the monthly payments aren't really saving anything. Since they are using your vehicle as collateral, you will be required to have full coverage which means you will now be paying more for insurance.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

I had money troubles and started looking around and my Credit Karma told me to look into OneMain Financial for help consolidating credit cards. All it took was getting online, filling out the application, and they called right away. I was informed about what to do next. It couldn't have been any easier. Very professional, the staff. I would and will tell everyone I Know about this experience. Christopher.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

OneMain was very attentive to my needs and went above and beyond to get me the cash I needed in a very short amount of time. The staff answered all of my questions and were very kind. The process of signing the loan documents was a breeze.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

They were very professional. The made me feel comfortable about my situation and they went above and beyond to find a solution to my many problems. If anybody needs help financially I suggest going to OneMain because they are friendly and willing to help you in every way.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

It was fast and easy. They were courteous and I was in and out the same day. I was not humiliated. They were very professional. I didn't expect it to be that easy. I had been in there before as a co-borrower and that could be a reason. I had spent more on pest control than usual but I am on a fixed income.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

I borrowed $6,000. Paid back $7,600 over 5 years with PERFECT payment history. Went back and asked to borrow $1,000 and was turned down!! How about that for leading done human???? There is nothing human about this company. No wonder it only has 2 stars. Go anywhere else.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

I received an offer in the mail to apply to OneMain Financial. I unlocked all my credit bureaus' reports and applied online. Then I got a call from the company. They asked a few more questions and said I qualified for $6900! Apparently this was the pitch they use to get butts into their stores. The employee on the phone told me to wait while he called the local store (at 4:00 in the afternoon). He put me on hold and came back 3 minutes later and said he couldn't get anyone to answer the phone. "No problem!" he said and made me an appointment for the next day. He said all I needed to do now was to upload a copy of my driver's license, a bank statement and voided check. I did that. No one from the store called to confirm the appointment, that they received the forms or verify I had the correct materials to bring the next day.

I changed my plans for the next day so I could visit the store. When I walked into the store (they had to buzz me in) they looked at me like I was a ghost. No one got up from their desk to come up to me. I had to yell my name across the store and that I was there for an appointment. A girl looked at her computer and saw I did have an appointment. Apparently this was news to her. She said she needed a copy of my home property tax bill, my house insurance, car insurance and my income sources. Any of these things I would have brought IF I had been given the courtesy of a call. I live 15 miles away in another town. Then I was told I qualify for $12000!

I thought the trip was worth the trouble. However, she now needed a copy of every credit card statement, too. So I had to go back home in the pouring rain to print all these statements offline. I called to tell her I was running behind because I had to change my ink and my router was giving me some problems. Then she said I had only been approved for $5900 and I had to turn over my car's title as collateral! I turned down this loan from such a disorganized and uncaring company. They wasted my time, gasoline and patience with their chaos. I was not desperate for the loan but wanted to get a loan instead of dipping into my investments. I would have never bothered if I knew these people were so unprofessional and unable to make a concrete decision. Avoid!!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

I have a loan with One Main Financial and I had a complaint with one of the representative. I filed a formal complaint with the CFPB and the corporate office responded to my complaint. Corporate office said, "After reviewing your complaint they see nothing wrong" but they did tell me they did investigate after reading her letter to me and siding that I was in the store which I never went into the store which means that it's a cover-up. Somewhere the representative lied to me. On store level corporate lie to me. On a corporate level is to cover up. I would never recommend this company to anyone because there's a lot of Fraud and they cover up for each other. Lies and deception. The rep push so hard to close alone. She didn't verify the information and just lie to say that the funds would be in my account and cost me a lot of hardship.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

So I applied for secured loan in April 2019. Got approved. Made 1st payment in May before we received car title for collateral. It was their job to obtain title but MGR of Jonesboro, GA. branch, wanted me to do her work in obtaining title. I wasn't successful. Time went by - no communication from them. Rewind: at signing of loan, they gave me 2 checks (which were included in loan that I'm paying interest on) to pay for my new registration & tag to be switched over from another state. By the time I was able to transfer tag over, the fees at tag ofc were decreased so I wrote out a personal check from different funds since the checks that they (main financial) gave me (from my loan), were too much & the tag ofc would not give me change.

I told OneMain Financial what happened so they told me to mail checks back to them & they would give me the funds or put it towards my loan as a payment. I mailed checks to them. Time went by again - no communication. Now this is in May so I got frustrated from being so patient & called them in July for info. MGR tells me she or someone else will call me back later this Fri or tomorrow Sat. No call. So I called on Mon. Spoke to other loan officer. She had no idea what was going on. MGR didn't communicate to her like she promised. Finally I speak to MGR. Now she tells me I can't get my funds (the checks that I sent back to be put towards my loan), that I now have already made 3 payments on with interest, until they get the my car title from the bank. That should have been done before the loan was approved & funds given to me.

It is now August 2019 - still no title & they still have over $500 in funds that I'm still making payments on with interest. It isn't my fault they didn't get the title 1st. I wish I never dealt with them. Like some other dissatisfied customers said, they also danced around my questions & told lies. It's not in the clauses for them to hold someone's funds after loan has been given. They fooled me to send checks back. I took it as a threat when she said they couldn't give my funds back until they get the title but they sure take their payment out of my checking acct monthly to pay back loan. If you're thinking about it don't do it. They also had people answering phones who didn't seem to know anything about correct phone skills. They need to be investigated.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

This loan was a hassle free. I bring all the documents they told me to bring and the next day I receive my money in the bank, also the interest rate is much lower than others, would definitely recommend.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

THIS COMPANY SENT A FLYER TO MY HOUSE OFFERING A LOAN FOR UP TO 25,000 ON A SECURED LOAN FOR EQUITY IN A CAR. I called them and asked if they do unsecured loans and they told me yes to come in. I mentioned my credit wasn't great because I had lost my job over a year ago and had a problem trying to get employed. I just got back in the work force and making a great wage again. They told me that I could use my son who has excellent credit but has a low paying job. We went in and after answering several questions and providing them with our ssi numbers they told me I was approved for the loan amount I was seeking. I was so exciting and it was a relief.

I desperately needed a loan to pay back government for social security contributions I fell short on so I could receive my lifetime benefit and I needed to have the payment to them before I reached my 65th birthday. Or I would have to accept the one time payout which was nothing. Since I did not have a pay stub yet to verify my income they told me it was ok to bring it in the following Friday but I was very assured that my loan was approved and that was the only thing they needed to show proof of the information I gave them.

So after I gave them my pay stub they asked even more questions about previous jobs which made no sense. Then all of a sudden the lady tells me or no there is a mismatch on my ssi number and showed me a ssi number which was nothing close to the number I provided her the previous week. The number she had started with 586 and mine started with 223. Then she says the other way she could offer me a loan would be to refinance one of my cars, I told her my car was just purchased within the last 4 months. This was their game plan all along to tell me yes, let me down knowing I would be desperate, and then thinking they would get me with with a huge refinance on my car with a ridiculous rate. Just to get a small loan of $7500.00. WHAT SCAMMERS THESE PEOPLE ARE. STAY AWAY FROM THEM.

Original review: July 30, 2019

I called them for an auto loan. Was approved for what I thought I called about. Only to find out after the vehicle was totaled that it was a personal loan secured by a title. The insurance company called with a settlement amount. When I called OneMain for a payoff amount they danced around the requested information telling me that they usually speak directly to the insurance company. Now I did have a personal loan with them prior to the car loan. But it was specifically a car loan. They asked for downpayment information and even issued the check to the car dealership directly. If this would be a car loan I'd be getting the difference. But because they weren't honest and had a play on words which the manager admitted the confusing wording (**) I'm without a car without insurance money and still owe 5000 dollars from a loan from almost 4 years ago. Hope they like that insurance check.

Original review: July 30, 2019

I applied for a loan with myself as the applicant and my mother as the co-applicant. We do not live in the same city. And I was told that in order to close the application, that both of us need to be present in the office to sign off. I asked if an exception could be made given that we were indeed approved and nowhere during the application process online did it bring up this rule. I find it hard to believe that now in 2019 that they couldn't (and more importantly wouldn't) find a way for two individuals living in different places to apply for a loan together. Why couldn't my mother just sign the needed forms and mail it in? Or fax it? Email? See there's no shortage of ways to submit paperwork!!!! No exception was made whatsoever. They created an unnecessary barrier to gain a customer.

Original review: July 29, 2019

My son got married in Chile, and my husband and I with my 2 daughters wanted to travel for this family event. For this reason I requested the loan and at the same time reduce my debts to can travel. Was great.

OneMain Financial Company Information

Public
    Ticker Symbol:
    OMF
    1912
    Formerly Named:
    Springleaf
    NTBS-2320 6801 Colwell Blvd.
    Irving