2. Finance
  3. Personal Loans

formerly Springleaf Financial

3.9/5 (3397 ratings)
Compare Offers on Personal Loan Pro

You deserve a great loan.

Receive personal loan offers in minutes on Personal Loan Pro

Get started

About OneMain Financial

OneMain Financial offers personal loans online and at 1,500 physical locations in 44 states. Customers can choose between unsecured personal loans, secured personal loans and auto loans. You can secure your personal loan with an automobile, RV or boat. In many cases, loans are available the same day you’re approved. OneMain Financial offers loans from $1,500 to $20,000.

Pros

• Flexible term lengths
  • Secured and unsecured loans
  • Loans from $1,500 to $20,000

Cons

• Charges an origination fee

Bottom Line

OneMain Financial offers secured and unsecured loans with APRs up to 35.99% and terms up to 60 months. OneMain loans have fixed rates and payments and no prepayment penalties.

You deserve a great loan.

Receive personal loan offers in minutes on Personal Loan Pro

Get started

OneMain Financial Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about OneMain Financial?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about OneMain Financial?

Original review: Oct. 23, 2019

This company should not be allowed to do business. They mislead you into loans and try to get you to use anything you have as collateral. In case you default they will not work with you. I was on the verge of default and they said that they can no longer work things out and they were going to file civil charges. Most lenders allow you a certain amount of time to get caught up if you get behind. These guys don’t. If you do decide to get a loan with them be careful what you say the loan is for. Do not mention Alimony, student loans, taxes, or child support. If they try to get you to say any of those things, they are trying to set you up for wage garnishment in case you default. Find another option and do lots of research. Not with the headache.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

I initially took out the loan to pay my taxes, knowing I would pay them off in a few months. My original loan was for $5500 payable for $9000 if I hold the loan for 4 years. I paid $3000 within the first month. However I am still responsible to pay the full $9000 or the loan will not be satisfied, because they do not pay the reduce the balance, they just push the payment due date out 2 years. They will not accept payments from a credit card with a much lower APR%, so I sent them a convenience check in the mail, because they told me I had to mail it in to pay off my ridiculously high APR they were charging me for. They rejected the convenience check.

In other words they make it impossible to pay off the debt at a much lower rate from somebody else. To make things worse, they did not even notify me that they were rejecting my convenience check payment, I had to call them several times after 2 weeks to allow time for mail, only to find out that my payment did not post, and was rejected.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

The ladies at OneMain Financial of Chesapeake were so prompt and professional. The experience that I received was excellent and I would recommend OneMain Financial to anyone. The ladies would keep you up to date on what is going on with your loan and they were always working for me instead of feeling like a number.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2019

Do not rely on pre-approval letters from OMF. I would not even bother with the lender if not their letter, that I used, and allowed to put hard inquiry on my credit file. In the meantime I had already signed loan with Upgrade Inc. which I have not finalized yet (who btw, signed me with the soft credit pull! Check that company if in temporary financial crisis). OMF took few days to review my case, I was tempted by slightly better % rate and less origination fee, declined me and in the meantime I lost that mentioned opportunity as the signed loan expired and could not be retrieved due to OMF's additional hard inquiry. If your credit situation is so so, check Upgrade Inc. Not recommending OMF and will never ever consider them.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

This company is misleading at best. If you are in a desperate financial situation and absolutely need a loan, do not consider this company. Companies like Onemain should not be allowed to operate. They prey on the desperate and quite frankly not too intelligent individuals! Yes, I consider myself "stupid" for taking out a loan with this horrible company. The customer service is poor, at best! Their reputation is awful! The owners of this company should all be brought up on legal charges. If this is not loan sharking then I'd rather take out a loan with the mob! Stay away from this misleading, borderline illegal, horrible, awful, devious, borderline fraudulent company!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

I was approved for a loan, but they wanted to use my car as collateral. They said they would pay off the $6K left on my car and give me $1K cash. Here is where this loan offer is illogical: They wanted a payment of $268 monthly at 24.4% APR for 5 years totaling more than $16K by the time I paid it off. I would have to pay more than 100% of the loan, just to get $1000 cash and $80 off my car payment monthly (I only have 20 payments left on my car). That is financial insanity.

Beware! Do the math, and don't fall into their trap.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

The process of applying and getting the funding is pretty easy with OneMain. All their fees and the process are upfront. They have very high interest rates, but keep in mind that they finance the high risk group. If you have a bank account with stable income, it's hassle free to make payments from checking account. As long as you are responsible there are no trouble. Personally my experience with OneMain was great. Their local branch staff are very helpful and they don't judge you based on your situation. The borrower needs to be responsible in paying back on time. I would highly recommend them to my friends who might be in urgent need of money with average credit.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

Made an application online for a personal loan to consolidate 3 credit card that I have. I was approved for 8000 loan for a insecure loan to pay 36 month. Few days later an agent contacted me and asked me few question. Now he said I was approved but if I include it my car loan. Jjaja. I only has one year and half to pay my car. And now the only way for them to approve the 8000 loan is include my car loan with them and pay them a 5 years loan. My car has a 3.99 apr now. They offer me a 20.99% apr if I put my car car loan with them. And pay it in 5 years. These people think we are stupid. They just take advantage of you if you don't press attention of what they offer. Do not use this people. The local office of onemain financial in Hialeah Florida. Are very rude. They treat you like you are an animal.. Very unprofessional.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

OneMain Financial is just another title loan company. They run your credit, your get approved and then they want you to upload your vehicle registration and proof of insurance. Their interest rate is 24.49%. They are paying to have their "stuff" pop up on Credit Karma and other sites baiting people to apply. The amount they claim you are approved for is not the amount you will actually be approved for. They are supposed to help in debt consolidation, and while this may be true, the monthly payments aren't really saving anything. Since they are using your vehicle as collateral, you will be required to have full coverage which means you will now be paying more for insurance.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

I had money troubles and started looking around and my Credit Karma told me to look into OneMain Financial for help consolidating credit cards. All it took was getting online, filling out the application, and they called right away. I was informed about what to do next. It couldn't have been any easier. Very professional, the staff. I would and will tell everyone I Know about this experience. Christopher.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

OneMain was very attentive to my needs and went above and beyond to get me the cash I needed in a very short amount of time. The staff answered all of my questions and were very kind. The process of signing the loan documents was a breeze.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

They were very professional. The made me feel comfortable about my situation and they went above and beyond to find a solution to my many problems. If anybody needs help financially I suggest going to OneMain because they are friendly and willing to help you in every way.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

It was fast and easy. They were courteous and I was in and out the same day. I was not humiliated. They were very professional. I didn't expect it to be that easy. I had been in there before as a co-borrower and that could be a reason. I had spent more on pest control than usual but I am on a fixed income.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

I borrowed $6,000. Paid back $7,600 over 5 years with PERFECT payment history. Went back and asked to borrow $1,000 and was turned down!! How about that for leading done human???? There is nothing human about this company. No wonder it only has 2 stars. Go anywhere else.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

I received an offer in the mail to apply to OneMain Financial. I unlocked all my credit bureaus' reports and applied online. Then I got a call from the company. They asked a few more questions and said I qualified for $6900! Apparently this was the pitch they use to get butts into their stores. The employee on the phone told me to wait while he called the local store (at 4:00 in the afternoon). He put me on hold and came back 3 minutes later and said he couldn't get anyone to answer the phone. "No problem!" he said and made me an appointment for the next day. He said all I needed to do now was to upload a copy of my driver's license, a bank statement and voided check. I did that. No one from the store called to confirm the appointment, that they received the forms or verify I had the correct materials to bring the next day.

I changed my plans for the next day so I could visit the store. When I walked into the store (they had to buzz me in) they looked at me like I was a ghost. No one got up from their desk to come up to me. I had to yell my name across the store and that I was there for an appointment. A girl looked at her computer and saw I did have an appointment. Apparently this was news to her. She said she needed a copy of my home property tax bill, my house insurance, car insurance and my income sources. Any of these things I would have brought IF I had been given the courtesy of a call. I live 15 miles away in another town. Then I was told I qualify for $12000!

I thought the trip was worth the trouble. However, she now needed a copy of every credit card statement, too. So I had to go back home in the pouring rain to print all these statements offline. I called to tell her I was running behind because I had to change my ink and my router was giving me some problems. Then she said I had only been approved for $5900 and I had to turn over my car's title as collateral! I turned down this loan from such a disorganized and uncaring company. They wasted my time, gasoline and patience with their chaos. I was not desperate for the loan but wanted to get a loan instead of dipping into my investments. I would have never bothered if I knew these people were so unprofessional and unable to make a concrete decision. Avoid!!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

I have a loan with One Main Financial and I had a complaint with one of the representative. I filed a formal complaint with the CFPB and the corporate office responded to my complaint. Corporate office said, "After reviewing your complaint they see nothing wrong" but they did tell me they did investigate after reading her letter to me and siding that I was in the store which I never went into the store which means that it's a cover-up. Somewhere the representative lied to me. On store level corporate lie to me. On a corporate level is to cover up. I would never recommend this company to anyone because there's a lot of Fraud and they cover up for each other. Lies and deception. The rep push so hard to close alone. She didn't verify the information and just lie to say that the funds would be in my account and cost me a lot of hardship.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

So I applied for secured loan in April 2019. Got approved. Made 1st payment in May before we received car title for collateral. It was their job to obtain title but MGR of Jonesboro, GA. branch, wanted me to do her work in obtaining title. I wasn't successful. Time went by - no communication from them. Rewind: at signing of loan, they gave me 2 checks (which were included in loan that I'm paying interest on) to pay for my new registration & tag to be switched over from another state. By the time I was able to transfer tag over, the fees at tag ofc were decreased so I wrote out a personal check from different funds since the checks that they (main financial) gave me (from my loan), were too much & the tag ofc would not give me change.

I told OneMain Financial what happened so they told me to mail checks back to them & they would give me the funds or put it towards my loan as a payment. I mailed checks to them. Time went by again - no communication. Now this is in May so I got frustrated from being so patient & called them in July for info. MGR tells me she or someone else will call me back later this Fri or tomorrow Sat. No call. So I called on Mon. Spoke to other loan officer. She had no idea what was going on. MGR didn't communicate to her like she promised. Finally I speak to MGR. Now she tells me I can't get my funds (the checks that I sent back to be put towards my loan), that I now have already made 3 payments on with interest, until they get the my car title from the bank. That should have been done before the loan was approved & funds given to me.

It is now August 2019 - still no title & they still have over $500 in funds that I'm still making payments on with interest. It isn't my fault they didn't get the title 1st. I wish I never dealt with them. Like some other dissatisfied customers said, they also danced around my questions & told lies. It's not in the clauses for them to hold someone's funds after loan has been given. They fooled me to send checks back. I took it as a threat when she said they couldn't give my funds back until they get the title but they sure take their payment out of my checking acct monthly to pay back loan. If you're thinking about it don't do it. They also had people answering phones who didn't seem to know anything about correct phone skills. They need to be investigated.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

This loan was a hassle free. I bring all the documents they told me to bring and the next day I receive my money in the bank, also the interest rate is much lower than others, would definitely recommend.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

THIS COMPANY SENT A FLYER TO MY HOUSE OFFERING A LOAN FOR UP TO 25,000 ON A SECURED LOAN FOR EQUITY IN A CAR. I called them and asked if they do unsecured loans and they told me yes to come in. I mentioned my credit wasn't great because I had lost my job over a year ago and had a problem trying to get employed. I just got back in the work force and making a great wage again. They told me that I could use my son who has excellent credit but has a low paying job. We went in and after answering several questions and providing them with our ssi numbers they told me I was approved for the loan amount I was seeking. I was so exciting and it was a relief.

I desperately needed a loan to pay back government for social security contributions I fell short on so I could receive my lifetime benefit and I needed to have the payment to them before I reached my 65th birthday. Or I would have to accept the one time payout which was nothing. Since I did not have a pay stub yet to verify my income they told me it was ok to bring it in the following Friday but I was very assured that my loan was approved and that was the only thing they needed to show proof of the information I gave them.

So after I gave them my pay stub they asked even more questions about previous jobs which made no sense. Then all of a sudden the lady tells me or no there is a mismatch on my ssi number and showed me a ssi number which was nothing close to the number I provided her the previous week. The number she had started with 586 and mine started with 223. Then she says the other way she could offer me a loan would be to refinance one of my cars, I told her my car was just purchased within the last 4 months. This was their game plan all along to tell me yes, let me down knowing I would be desperate, and then thinking they would get me with with a huge refinance on my car with a ridiculous rate. Just to get a small loan of $7500.00. WHAT SCAMMERS THESE PEOPLE ARE. STAY AWAY FROM THEM.

Original review: July 30, 2019

I called them for an auto loan. Was approved for what I thought I called about. Only to find out after the vehicle was totaled that it was a personal loan secured by a title. The insurance company called with a settlement amount. When I called OneMain for a payoff amount they danced around the requested information telling me that they usually speak directly to the insurance company. Now I did have a personal loan with them prior to the car loan. But it was specifically a car loan. They asked for downpayment information and even issued the check to the car dealership directly. If this would be a car loan I'd be getting the difference. But because they weren't honest and had a play on words which the manager admitted the confusing wording (**) I'm without a car without insurance money and still owe 5000 dollars from a loan from almost 4 years ago. Hope they like that insurance check.

Original review: July 30, 2019

I applied for a loan with myself as the applicant and my mother as the co-applicant. We do not live in the same city. And I was told that in order to close the application, that both of us need to be present in the office to sign off. I asked if an exception could be made given that we were indeed approved and nowhere during the application process online did it bring up this rule. I find it hard to believe that now in 2019 that they couldn't (and more importantly wouldn't) find a way for two individuals living in different places to apply for a loan together. Why couldn't my mother just sign the needed forms and mail it in? Or fax it? Email? See there's no shortage of ways to submit paperwork!!!! No exception was made whatsoever. They created an unnecessary barrier to gain a customer.

Original review: July 29, 2019

My son got married in Chile, and my husband and I with my 2 daughters wanted to travel for this family event. For this reason I requested the loan and at the same time reduce my debts to can travel. Was great.

Original review: July 27, 2019

I was made to feel comfortable and the staff are all very helpful and explained everything to me where I could understand it. I have had a positive experience with them. I will recommend OMF to everyone that needs loans.

Original review: July 24, 2019

I needed money to fix my car and some personal things to pay off. They approved for a very high amount, which was like wow great because I can use the money. I understand how interest works, however, it doesn't in this loan company. Your principal goes down over time not because you pay extra towards the principal, but each payment a generous amount goes towards the principle to bring it down. You may more more of interest in the beginning, but not nearly the entire monthly payment. 8 dollars of 332 towards the principal does not make anything go down. or 8 dollars a day interest on a $9200 loan.

Here's the catch, it's a false percentage, in reality they are collecting their interest before they allow a real dent to hit the loan. That's not working by percentage, but by how far along you are in your payments. I know, this happened to my father as well. This should be brought up in a legal matter. Because there is some false play that is probably very illegal in the matter. They helped me in an emergency but they are robbing me in the end.

Original review: July 13, 2019

I will NEVER get another loan for this company again. They are con artist. I requested my payoff amount for my $4000 loan. After paying $160 a month for 2 years my payoff amount is still $3000. Cool. I don’t have any problems. I’m preparing to pay it off in 2 weeks. I get a call from a customer care associate telling me that she hates to see me leave and asking me the reasons why I am paying my loan off early. I tell her the interest rate is too high and I’m basically paying double back on loans so I just want to get it off my back. She tells me I can lower my interest rate on my current loan since I’ve been a valued customer and all I have to do is authorize them to pull my credit report. I ask if that is a hard pull and she says yes and I tell her no thanks because I don’t need any more hard pulls on my credit right now.

My score has been growing and I’m also preparing to try to get a mortgage in the next few months. She doubles back and says, "Are you sure you don’t want a lower interest rate. I think it’s worth it." After talking she pursued me and I authorize it and give her my updated financial information. She then tells me my local branch will give me the details of my new interest rate. When my local branch calls me they tell me that I was approved for an extra $7000 and ask why it is that I need more money. I was flabbergasted???? I tell her that I made it clear from the start that I never wanted more money and I only authorized the hard pull because I was told I could get a lower interest. Her and her manager tell me that it’s not possible but since I’ve already done the hard pull “I might as well accept the money and it’ll be at the same 35% interest”.

I immediately filed a complaint and called back customer care and I was then told a manager would be calling me back shortly. After 10 hours passed I called back was told by another associate that the same manager will be reviewing the conversation and will call me back before the end of the business day. I call back at 9:50 pm 10 minutes before they close and demanded to speak with the manager. Manager Travis ** finally came to the phone and apologized and promised me he would call me back by the next business day and ensured me I would not have to call back and took down my contact information personally.

It’s now been 4 days and still not one call, but yet I’ve received several offers via mail and email over the last couple days. I’ve now sent a message through the company website and still nothing. I don’t appreciate them playing with my credit and these tricks they play to try to get you to take out another loan and I am disgusted with the professionalism of this company. I wish I could give 0 stars. I will never recommend this company and look forward to never dealing with them again. Completely unprofessional and will tell you anything they want rather it’s true or not.

Original review: July 2, 2019

So I took out a personal loan to pay off credit card debt. I have never missed a payment. Last week I was in a car wreck. I called OneMain Financial to defer my payment. No problem, they said. I went through their process and the deferment was completely. I was not supposed to make the payment until July 11th. I wake up this morning, check my account, they never cancelled my payment. No, my account is all messed up. I called them. They said I have to wait until my bank clears the payment which after calling them takes 10 business days and obtain all the fees in the meantime. They told me there is nothing that can be done, that’s the policy. So they make the mistake and don’t even try to fix it. I would never ever deal with this company again or recommend them to anyone!!

Original review: July 2, 2019

When they asked me do I have any “other” payday loans I knew it was trouble. I have a credit score of 780 and you quote me an interest rate of 35% - nope, not when I just financed my car at .09% interest. BUYER BEWARE!!!

Original review: June 25, 2019

This place sends ME pre approved offers constantly, for an unsecured loan. Ok. Well I've been on FMLA due to heart problems and could use a loan, so I try. I tell them my story, that I have missed a lot of work this year so far but need a cardioversion which I am getting this week, then an ablation in August so I will be fully back to work next Monday. The person tells me "You should be fine for this loan". Then a day later she calls me and says due to my lack of work, they will not only need my car title (that isn't an unsecured loan lol) but they must also dictate exactly where the money goes, including a credit card I'm paying on which has zero interest until November and will be paid off by then, which in effect takes interest free money and converts it to their loan shark rate of 39.9. They were rude and very impersonal. Stay away. They are more of a "debt counseling" place than a loan place it seems to me....

Original review: June 14, 2019

2 days ago I deposited a check for $200 drawn on my OneMain Financial account into my bank checking account. Today 2 days later I see the check was returned by OneMain Financial with no explanation, except to go back to the check owner, who happens to be me. I immediately called OneMain Financial and I was told by a customer service rep that due to a "glitch" many checks were returned as if there were insufficient funds in the accounts. I asked to speak to the supervisor to get a response as far as getting a written explanation, never got to speak to one. He/she sent a message by the customer service rep that they are just gathering information. I never heard of anything like this. I can imagine how many people are affected missing payment deadlines.

OneMain Financial is really very bad. Keeping account opened for an emergency. To order checks, unless you used up ALL of them, they will NOT order checks for you. This is supposedly for your protection! Last fall I received sheets of checks, NOT a check book, this is their new format. Overall, same as previous Spring Leaf, very bad. It is not the people, but the system. Not to be able to order checks until you have 0 checks and it takes 1 month to get new ones makes no sense whatsoever. They have had the same policy for years now.

Original review: June 8, 2019

I needed a personal loan to help with my vacation expenses. I was approved that day and sent out with a check! The customer service was very respectful. I would highly recommend anyone to use them... Great company!

OneMain Financial Company Information

Public
Ticker Symbol:
OMF
1912
Formerly Named:
Springleaf
NTBS-2320 6801 Colwell Blvd.
Irving