Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.38/5

Navy Federal Credit Union Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navy Federal Credit Union?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navy Federal Credit Union?

Original review: July 22, 2020

I have been with Navy Federal for 15 years. They have denied me a car loan, and given me personal loans at horrible rates. My credit rating is incredible, yet I can't help but notice one thing I keep getting flagged on: young account. 15 years old, YOUNG?? Finally, they blocked my car just because I was using Google pay. I am done with Navy Federal. They are just as abusive towards veterans as the VA.

Original review: July 10, 2020

I sold my house and purchased a new home in April during this pandemic. My previous mortgage company was SunTrust and I decided to go with Navy Federal. I was little put off by all the reviews but it was a great experience and better than my previous one. Everything was done online, but I still had a great contact and follow up with the Navy Federal Team. Everyone followed up timely, provided great explanations, and guided me through the process. Even the underwriting team was wonderful which is not a typical experience. I cannot recommend them enough. The portal for loading and receiving documents is easy to understand and very detailed. The support was great and I even had follow up calls after hours. Definitely A+ effortless experience.

Original review: May 30, 2020

We have 5 accounts with NFCU, personal, business, credit etc.. Went in to my local branch yesterday *Bel Air* after being shut in for 12 weeks, so it was a necessity, we are running a business... Long story short.. the door was locked, they didn't want us to come in, they let 1 person at a time.. I was asked what I wanted, and The response I got was "use the atm"! "Excuse me, no.. I need to come inside".. If you are this strict, how about state that on your website??? After all, even the grocery store lets 10 people in and have smiling faces, this lady acted like everyone is getting on her nerves.. It's our MONEY??? Last time I checked??!!

Original review: May 27, 2020

Do not go to NFCU for mortgage loans!!! They advertise rate match but no one goes out of their way to get the rate matched! They use all sorts of excuses to explain why they failed as if they don't want your business. Go to Prosperity Mortgage instead, you will be glad you did!!!

Original review: May 22, 2020

Highest rates, horrible customer service. As soon as I can get away from this company, I am taking my business elsewhere. I'm active duty, almost 14 years, never dealt with a "military friendly" company like this one. DO NOT USE NFCU. Go to your local CU. These guys are not pro-military.

Original review: May 5, 2020

I have been a client of this bank for about 5 years, I pay monthly all my bills and don't bother them. Covid-19 hit and I was laid off my job, I found another that paid about 80 percent less and am barely getting by with it. I called asking for an extension on my credit card for 200 dollars so I could pay my lights and get food for me and my child. They declined and declined a pandemic relief loan. I cried and begged them to help and they could have my full 300 dollar check come a week from now. They still declined. This is a bank who is denying assistance to starving, struggling members amid a pandemic they did not create. They do not care. They will not help.

Original review: May 2, 2020

I should've known we were heading for trouble when the Buyer's loan officer began our conversation by telling me all the things her company couldn't or wouldn't do. "Our loans are taking a minimum of 60+ days to close!" she relayed from her script. "Thanks!" I replied. "I look forward to working with you too!" Back on February 20, 2020, one of my Seller clients (a nice active-duty Navy family) went under contract with some Buyers who also happened to be an active-duty military family. The Buyers were using a VA loan through Navy Federal Credit Union. Our transaction was scheduled to close by March 26th. We navigated through the home inspection, which revealed that the roof was at the end of its effective service life and needed replacement. Several qualified 3rd party contractors confirmed that assessment, and the Sellers agreed to have the roof replaced prior to closing.

On March 23rd, I received a text from the Buyer's broker stating that the appraisal had come in $22K below our contract sales price. I inquired about invoking Tidewater, an initiative that allows you to contest the appraiser's price opinion by providing additional comparative sales data (It's worth noting that the roof was replaced AFTER the appraiser toured the property).

After a week or so of waiting for NFCU to respond about invoking Tidewater, I called the appraiser myself and was informed that he had finished his appraisal around the 18th of March, and had attempted to contact the loan processor at NFCU several times regarding the low appraisal. The loan processor was the only POC (point of contact) on the file. Since he was unable to reach her, he had no choice but to submit the file to the VA.

I relayed this information onto the Buyer's broker. Shortly thereafter, I was contacted by the Loan Processor's Supervisor at NFCU. She assured me that she was overseeing the file, and would be working with the appraiser to explore any options. In passing, she shared that the loan processor assigned to the file had been out on vacation when the appraiser called about the low appraisal. So the reason Tidewater was never invoked was because the loan processor was off on vacation and NFCU had made no provision for someone to manage her files in her absence.

Obviously, the only option available to us at this point was to file an ROV (Reconsideration of Value). This is a formal process where you can appeal the appraisal directly to the VA. You fill out a form with comparative evidence that supports a higher value, and provide some limited commentary as to why the comparative evidence is more accurate. In that commentary, I also included the cost of the roof replacement. Once the ROV is submitted to the VA Regional Office it normally takes 7-10 days for them to reach a determination. I was told by the Loan Processor Supervisor that the ROV had been submitted on April 6th.

After two weeks of crickets from NFCU, I made some inquiries and was able to connect with the person at the VA Regional Office in Denver who is in charge of fielding ROV's. He informed me that an ROV for our appraisal had never been submitted to his office. On April 27th, I forwarded this information onto the Supervisor. Two days later, she called to let me know that the ROV had been submitted to the VA, and that it would take up to 10 days to process. She offered no credible rationale as to why it had not been submitted, and offered no apology for the added delays. The Buyer's Loan Officer has been conveniently absent throughout this entire ordeal.

In summary, I've never experienced a company that so intentionally sets up virtual roadblocks, making it literally impossible for you to reach anyone to pose inquiries or obtain information about a loan in process. And when you do finally make contact, their response is abysmally slow, accompanied by an attitude of indifference, and a total lack of culpability.

While Navy Federal Credit Union may offer reasonable levels of service for their traditional banking services, their mortgage department is clearly negligent in the way they treat the valued active-duty service members and honored veterans who entrust them with funding the purchase of their homes. It's sad when a mortgage company whose name specifically targets our valued active-duty service members and veterans fails so miserably to serve those who have faithfully served our Country!

Original review: April 25, 2020

Take it from me! Do not ever do a overdraft or line of credit that they call it with Navy Federal. It is my fault but when you need money and help because you're down and out and struggling you have no choice but to go to a bank. I have been paying on this line of credit since I was 18 and today I am 27 years old. No matter how much you pay Navy Federal charges 71.25 for a finance charge which is ridiculous. To be honest I will never be able to pay this off unless I hit the lottery and that is the truth.

When I pay the minimum they take that and then overdraft me again because of their finance charge then here is the kicker - they slap it on your credit that you are over your limit because of their finance charge. I do not understand how this credit union says they help active and retired veterans and their dependents but you might as well go to another bank if they are going to do this kind of stuff. I am really sorry I did this with them but like I said you do not have a choice when you are trying to make it in the world.

Original review: April 22, 2020

Due to Covid-19, I recently lost my job, withdrew my retirement account just to pay off the balance on the line of credit checking with NFCU and learned that NFCU only cares about charging their members interest during this unfortunate time. A customer service representative who handled the COVID-19 member assistance offered me to open another loan account with low interest. Unbelievable as we are not in this together since NFCU only cares about making their profits even when all of us are dealing with the horrible pandemic.

Original review: April 1, 2020

How a company with 1 and a half stars overall on this site can get first 5 reviews on this site at a perfect 5 stars tells you a lot. The bad reviews are the same problems I had 2 plus years ago when I first signed up with them and applied for a HELOC, Home Equity Line of Credit. They still haven't learned or refuse to correct their mistakes and keep making them. A recent call confirmed they're the same horrible customer service when a Representative decided to argue with me over the phone. He wanted me to put my concerns in writing...I'm now doing so, but not for them as I'm supposed to be recorded. Doubt it. They are the worst credit union in the country and all you have to do is look up their reviews. Do it.

Navy Federal Credit Union Company Information