1.85/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Navy Federal Credit Union

Looking for a mortgage lender?

499 Navy Federal Credit Union Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

As a real estate professional, I will be apprehensive in the future to accept a loan through Navy Federal. Several clients have been extremely disappointed using them for a home loan-mortgage. The title says it all! They ask for repeat paperwork, they do not answer calls, they do not communicate with the client/buyer, nor the title co, atty offices, or the real estate broker/agent. Sub-par is an understatement. Frustrating and should be avoided unless you like guessing and waiting until last minute if the loan will close or not! There are much better choices of lenders out there. Veterans, do your homework before choosing this company! A whole lot of frustration, even if you have a shining high credit score. Shameful and disrespectful to our vets. Buyer/Mortgage shopper beware!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

As a realtor who works with dozens of mortgage lenders each year, I have to say that my recent transaction that closed today with Navy Federal Mortgage was one of the worst transactions I’ve experienced in 14 years. There was a complete lack of responsiveness and communication on the part of the loan originator, loan processor and management. The transaction was delayed more than once and the loan team didn’t seem to have any sense of urgency. Customer relations was pitiful. There are MANY great lenders who have loan products for veterans. Do yourself a service and utilize one of the other companies that actually care about meeting deadlines and taking care of their buyer clients.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

I joined NFCU in 1987. In my 32 years of using this credit union, this recent experience is the worst I've had dealing with "any" financial institution in my entire adult life. We applied for a mortgage refinance to pull cash out from our existing VA home loan. We applied for this loan on July 8, 2019. We just got an email letting us know we will close on September 6, 2019. Our first Mortgage processor was horrible at communication whether by phone or email. I had to call customer service several time to reach a supervisor before I got a response in the first two weeks from this processor. The assigned processor's poor customer service continued through the first month and was finally replaced after my last complaint by a more "seasoned" processor. With the new processor we had to resubmit several time-sensitive documents again, which further delayed the overall process.

The only reason we stuck it out with NFCU is because it was the best offer over USAA and others at this current time. NFCU as a whole has been great in person. However, this Mortgage Loan experience requires tremendous patience on our part. Luckily we were not in a financial bind and in need of the money right away. My trust in NFCU has been shaken, so much so that my future business with them may come to an end over this entire fiasco. Bad customer service to me means I should take my business where I am treated with respect and taken care of the first time around. If you have a better option I recommend you explore that option first if you can. Hopefully, this review helps in your process of making the best decision for you.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

My husband and I are members of Navy Federal Credit Union. We have sent them multiple times the attached SSA-89 form request by Navy Fed in conjunction with other documents. My husband online account has been blocked since July-29, we went to their office located on 2699 Roosevelt Blvd Clearwater, FL 33760, on August 3rd and provided 2 statements. 1 from Spectrum and the other from Sprint, we also provided evidence of driver's license, including the SSA-89 form which was signed on that same date.

In addition, we also submitted this documents through the secure online system. For the 3rd time we sent this requested evidence to email: ** on August 21, 2019 provided by a Navy Fed representative by phone and we do not understand what is taking so long in order for someone to take action on this matter. We have both spoken with several representatives from Navy Fed and there is always a new excuse to help us, tomorrow will be a month with the online account being blocked and none of their representatives has bothered to help us.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

Last month over 1,000.00 was taken from my checking account. While on the phone with the fraud department the operator informed me that at that very moment 4500.00 was being taken. Over the recorded line I told her that this was not authorized. She had my checking account closed and issued me a new checking account number. I filed a police report soon after. 10 days later I received an email from NFCU stating that my claim was denied after a thorough investigation and that I was responsible for the nearly 5500.00. I called the investigator, David, four times (and documented those times in my rebuttal letter) and never got a call back. I sent my IP address to them and I questioned whether this "thorough investigation" involved actually checking the sender's IP address as well as whether they listened to my voice conversation at the time of incident stating that the charges were fraudulent.

If neither of these things had occurred, how can the investigation be "thorough?" Further, for the investigator to not have returned any of my four phone calls is highly unprofessional and discourteous to say the least. He had three full days to do so. Is he that busy? Then the question comes up: What is going on with security that the fraud investigator is so busy at NFCU that he can't return calls as part of his job? I have been a member for 21 years. I have never experienced a situation where my money was under the watch of NFCU, someone robbed me under their watch, and they held me responsible for the lost money. This entire situation with NFCU has been completely unsatisfactory. As of this writing this situation has still not been resolved. The money was taken July 30 and July 31 respectively. NFCU has not responded to my rebuttal letter sent Tuesday night, either.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navy Federal Credit Union?

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

Have been with Navy CU since 2013. We opened an account for our daughter before she joined college three weeks ago. We went to the main branch in Vienna, VA and provided original passport, SS card, University ID card and DoD orders. Our daughter was provided with an ATM debit card on the spot and was told that all was fine. When she tried to use the ATM card it was declined. We called them only to be told that we were missing an IRS form which we provided. Then the card was declined again. We stopped by the branch only to be told that they were missing proof of ID, proof of address and SS number which we did provide again. Then we were told that the account was flagged by their fraud department because our daughter's address was different than ours.

We tried in vain to explain that our daughter had just returned from overseas as we were still on orders and had an APO address while she was staying behind in the States to attend college. Days went by and no "supervisor" could help. We finally provided the educational transportation orders with our daughter's shipping address on them that they accepted. We then asked that an interim statement be mailed to her as proof of address for the DMV so that she could get her driving permit. Two weeks and multiple phone calls would provide conflicting information. One would say that the statement was sent the other that it was not. Another five days went by with no statement in the mail. The final phone call with a representative insisted that we had to stop by the main branch to request that again and would not transfer us to any of the people we had been discussing our issues with for almost three weeks.

We ended up driving to the branch for the fourth time only to be told again that the statement was mailed. We insisted on a printed out statement and an envelope from Navy CU with our daughter's printed address that we had to mail to her ourselves. One of the supervisor's had told me on one occasion that she would follow up the next day and call me back. I never received a call back so drove to the branch and when I asked for Heather I was told that she was off Thursday and Friday!!!! THEY DO NOT CARE.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

I contacted NFCU and inquiring about refinancing my home loan. I was assigned to a “Mortgage Processor", I provided all documents they requested and told they are working on my application. I waited a for a month and I did not hear anything from the “Mortgage Processor". I contacted them again and asked about the status of my application, the “Mortgage Processor" replied “Approval letter has been sent out”. I waited another 30 days and I did not hear back from them again.

I called and asked if my application still active, I was passed around to different people until someone told me that my application has been denied, she couldn’t give me an answer why it was denied. I wasted 3 months waiting for nothing. I contacted other lenders and their customer service is 300% better. Just stay away from this bank.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

I was very displeased with the service provided by Navy Federal. It was hard to get ahold of my refinancing team members. I would leave voicemails and send emails. They were terrible at returning messages. When my loan was transferred to the 2nd half of the process the same thing happened but even worse. It would take a week or two for them to get back with me. Finally after 4 months of trying to deal with this company I decided to pull out and go with another company. I had cc'd the supervisors with no response as well. After I decided not to use this Navy Federal anymore a supervisor contacted me. I asked her how long it usually takes to get a refinancing complete and she told me 45-60 days. I then asked her why after 4 months are we still in the process. She could not answer. If you want horrible customer service then stick with Navy Federal. I went with Veterans United and from start to finish it took 3 1/2 weeks to close.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

Convenient, trustworthy, and reliable. I have been with them for 25 years. Whether it was a mortgage, car loans, or investments they can be counted on for fast, confident services. No matter what time of day they are there with the help you need. With many convenient locations or by email or phone they are there to assist.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

I applied for a home equity loan. Prior to do so and to ensure we did not waste our time or others’ time and to avoid paying for credit reports for nothing, I advised the representative what our credit scores were and asked if that met the minimum to apply for Navy Federal’s Home Equity Loan. The associate assured me there was no minimum. We went through a 2 week process of research and filling out and submitting documents and paid for two credit reports. I waited about a week, and, when I did not hear anything, I called and inquired and was transferred to “Molly”, a processor. She advised we were declined. I asked why, and she stated in a demeaning way, “Your credit score is 537.” Her tone clearly presented her prejudice against that score.

The call should be recorded, and someone needs to listen and take action. I asked if there was a minimum, and Molly advised that there is and that score is 610. I asked why that was not disclosed upfront, and Molly advised they are not allowed to refuse an application. If that was disclosed, no one with a credit score below 610 would waste their time and money. But most of all, Molly needs to treat people with compassion and empathy. I will not be happy with anything other than Navy Federal refunding the credit report fees and firing Molly for her disregard for basic human kindness.

Navy Federal Credit Union Company Information