3.48/5

471 Navy Federal Credit Union Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 5, 2019

I came to NFCU because I heard so many reviews of how 'good' they are and how they really work with their members. I am a 100% disabled Air Force veteran and I can honestly say that has not been my experience. Now that I look back at who was telling me these great things, none of them were veterans. Only 1 was an active duty member and the rest were 'family' of a member.

For starters, you don't have to be a family member of a veteran or active duty member. If you use the address of one of the above, you can join. If you are unemployed with VERY minimal income, you can get a credit card for almost $10,000! Me as an actual 100% disabled vet couldn't get a penny. I tried for a SMALL personal loan because I need surgery and I knew I would accumulate hospital bill's and wanted a way to help shave it down. I was denied. I tried for a credit card TWICE and was denied. When contacting customer service inquiring an explanation, I was told no one can talk to me directly about that. That department does not speak with members is what they said.

People on Instagram are coaching other people on how to join and get cards while legit members are blocked from everything. I moved my direct deposit from them back to my regular bank and from my personal experience would tell any vet, don't join here. Don't believe the hype. If you're a 'family' member, this is the place for you. Maybe if I were Navy, I would have been treated better.

Original review: July 2, 2019

I was just on the phone for 1 hour and 6 hours and with Navy Federal. I spoke with 4 people, the last I spoke with being Becky on the phone (a supervisor). It was the most horrible phone call of my life. She was awful, verbally abusive, and after that phone call I want to crawl into a hole and die. She was unable to help me, interrupted me repeatedly, raised her voice, blatantly lied about the previous representatives had said, claimed I was lying after I told her what the last two representatives said (check the tapes of the conversation for proof), refused to provide any real help or support, threatened me, refused to allow me to speak with anyone else, refused to close my Navy Federal account, and told me to call back because she refused to speak with me. Becky was by far the worst customer service representative I have ever encountered and top 3 worst human being I’ve ever encountered.

Original review: June 28, 2019

I have submitted two separate mortgage applications through NFCU and each time I have experienced the same issues. In order to get pre-approved for a home mortgage they require you to complete a mortgage application and throughout the process it is impossible to get in touch with the loan officer. I have have been with NFCU for over a decade and have had a great experience with every other department so I assumed that their mortgage department was the same; however, I couldn’t have been more wrong.

Original review: June 24, 2019

Locked out of my account several times and when I call to regain access to my own account they were unable to help and extremely rude about it. Any question I asked was prompted with a rude response and the agent was getting angry at me for not understanding why I couldn't get access to my own account. Then I was told that I would have to fax over the information that I had just provided her with (such as my SSN) to gain access to my account which will take 5-10 business days. Until then I do not have access to my money. When I asked the operator to stop getting mad at me for answering question she claimed she was just being direct and assertive. Horrible experience. Very rude. Constantly locked out of my account.

Original review: June 18, 2019

Was a member of NFCU just over a year - I joined for the convenience as there's a branch near me. We applied for a Home Equity loan to do our 20 yo roof but our handler told us that a missing shingle found during the appraisal would prevent the loan approval! It's approval would be contingent on our having the roof repaired first. She explained that she was trying to save us the cost of a full appraisal since it would now be required(?!), but that she wasn't going to allow us to proceed. Her logic was that we should spend thousands up front to preclude the need for a full appraisal & it's fee. When I pointed out the difficulty involved, she confessed to not knowing "the ins and outs" of the process. I was stunned. BTW USAA does not offer Home Eq' or HELOCs, and the home and our credit are in otherwise great shape. I had no problem getting a loan elsewhere.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navy Federal Credit Union?

Original review: June 12, 2019

Navy Federal Credit Union highlights one of the key benefit to enrolling in its premium Flagship Reward Credit Card is its "cellphone protection." The efforts, the hoops, the impediments/obstacles to collecting on this benefit borders on the absurd--from its website, customer service, emails, duplicative submissions, multiple phone calls--all for the possibility at the end to collect $200 for a damaged iPhone cellphone. Frankly, it is a complete waste of time, which, I believe, is part of the process.

As a 42-year NFCU member, I am very disappointed. Moreover, it makes me question the other flagship touted card service benefits, and what it will take if one were to try avail herself of other stated card benefits and perhaps encounter similar customer service experiences. NFCU's reputation and brand is "hobbled" by this outsourced party. Shame on NFCU.

Original review: June 6, 2019

Company refuses to provide written details of interest rate offers, bait and switch tactics, all done over the phone without paperwork... One week before home closing they request paperwork - change the interest rate - and then send fraudulent information to all parties involved.

Original review: June 4, 2019

I applied for an auto loan online - the process was fast, but there were a couple of things that went very wrong! 1. The auto draft payments box, had to be selected in order to proceed, fine no problem with that- until; the 1st payment was deducted before it was due, then i got a notice that my first payment was late?! It took me 4 uncomfortable conversations with people who talk to you, without care, and rude, because their only objective is to get you off the phone! To finally get my auto loan draft to draft accordingly; half every 14 days opposed to full payments every other week! 2. I also checked the box for GAP insurance, I thought it to be an intelligent move to protect the loan, my investment. I found out 2 months later after reviewing my account online, which by the way is not transparent at all, compared to other financial institutions I transact business with, that I did NOT have GAP insurance!

Called again to be informed, that NAVY FCU DOES NOT PROVIDE GAP INSURANCE FOR VEHICLES YRS/OLDER. My vehicle was an awesome deal, 2011 MB with 49k miles. OK! Even, after the dealership called NAVY FCU and spoke to a representative, and provided all the vehicle information, VIN, YEAR, MODEL Etc. No such information was given! No one was informed. I could have bought GAP insurance then from the dealership or another company! HOME LOAN DEPT. As if that was not enough!

I also applied for a home loan, with NAVY FCU. My loan officer Peggy quoted me amounts without verifying my income! The approval letter was done without her speaking to me, after she cut about 40K from her 1st quote. She kept emailing me all the don'ts of the loan, making me feel hopeless! Didn't like this so spoke to a supervisor, who transferred my loan to be worked by another person, Jenny, who after verifying my income decided to take another 35K from the loans I had already had been pre-qualified for. 3 MONTHS INTO IT THEY MADE ME GIVE UP!! I SAY THIS WITH TEARS! THEY WASTED MY TIME!!

Original review: May 22, 2019

Every person in customer service through the phone is rude and refuse to care about the customer. I regret ever opening a bank here. They are the worst and I will never deal with this type of unprofessional behavior again.

Original review: May 22, 2019

I joined NFCU because I'd heard a few good things and wanted to avoid other big banks. Since joining in 2014, my experience has largely been garbage. USAA has been my main bank since 2008 and I will continue to use them and a local credit union instead. My biggest issue lies with their transaction timelines. Transactions are not posted immediately or even in a timely manner (24 hours and upwards, no postings on the weekends) and because of this I frequently overdraft my account when I use it, believing that the posted balance is what I have to work with, when in reality there can be multiple transactions "pending" that are nowhere to be seen from account management.

This leads to an overdraft, and because I'm not using them for saving, it also means a $30 "return check" fee (however it's $5 from USAA). This bank might not have as bad a rep as others, but I wouldn't trust them either. Anyone who makes it difficult to use *your* money shouldn't be in the business of money. I closed out a CD with them, will either be paying off my credit cards or doing a balance transfer and then closing my account for good.

Navy Federal Credit Union Company Information