3.54/5

455 Navy Federal Credit Union Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 11, 2019

Best mortgage I have ever had and I have had several. Great company all the way and they don’t sell your mortgage. Excellent service, rates and options. A really good experience. The company is only open to military and veterans.

Original review: May 10, 2019

From the first day I spoke with Reece ** I knew this wouldn't be a pleasant experience. He was very monotone and acted as if he could care less. My husband told him to call me at 5pm, he didn't call until almost 5:30pm. He either takes forever to respond to emails or he doesn't respond at all. My husband sent him a couple emails and he never responded until I began to email him and call. When I told him we didn't receive a response he showed ZERO remorse and obviously didn't care. Reece really lacks customer service. I understand he may not like his job, but the customer should never feel that.

Original review: May 6, 2019

We jumped through hoops to apply for a mortgage with Navy Federal because we were told by friends that they have great rates. Had to pay $5 to open an account and become a member before we could even start the mortgage application process. They have you fill everything out, and then buried in tiny text at the very end is a disclaimer that they charge you $18.95 per person to run your credit.

We tried calling FOUR times to close our account and get refunded. We never submitted the mortgage application because we already had several offers from competitors that didn't charge for our credit. They would not let me close it because I am not the primary account holder. Would not let the primary account holder close it because they "couldn't confirm who he was". They had no problems taking money from us but won't let us close out an account that we don't need. Now we have to go try and locate an actual branch location and figure out how to un-do this mess. This is an absolute nightmare and not the kind of additional stress we need when purchasing a home.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I have been back and forth with this bank in regards their practices of fees. They would charge fees twice for a same transaction. I also bank with Chase who does not have these practices. I switched back to Chase after experiencing this issue with NFCU. I was told that it was good to bank with a credit union, however, this was not my experience with NFCU. Their charges are lower than other banks but they add up significantly. I personally believe that this "military" bank is not here for us. I would recommend anyone to look for other options out there.

Original review: April 26, 2019

I've used NFCU as my bank for as long as I can remember and have always had an amazing experience with them. The best customer service and services out there! Except when it came time for me to purchase my first home, and my loan officer was Eliana **. There was not one situation in which they were responsive, prompt, or on time. For each step of the process, I found myself having to leave multiple voicemails and emails each day, and not hearing back until the end of the week. This became such an issue that I was charged in TWO different scenarios to amend my contract to close on the house because Eliana didn't initiate my appraisal when she said she would (it wasn't even the same week).

Then when it came to the final closing disclosure, she had the prices, services and closing date wrong. Once I finally got in touch with her, instead of just adjusting those three numbers that Tuesday and sending it back over, she said I would receive it by the end of the week. Now it's Friday, and in preparation for this, I emailed and called yesterday to make sure we were still on time, no response. It's now the end of day on Friday, I again have called, left voicemails, E-mails, no response. I'm not going to be able to close on the agreed date, and now I'm calling my realtor to discuss the charges I'll incur for changing the contract once again.

All the while trying to convince the seller I truly am serious as they are getting impatient and regretting not going with another interested buyer. everything in the home buying experience has been smooth except for the NFCU mortgage department, who has made it an absolute hellish experience, causing me to spend more money, and push dates back affecting my apartment rental exit, moving reservations, and a million other things that depend on them doing what they said they would do when they said they would do it. Since it's Friday, it's guaranteed I won't hear back until next week when I start calling them again to start the process over and hope they can keep up with one of these dates so I can close.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navy Federal Credit Union?

Original review: April 17, 2019

Extremely disappointed with how they treated their member who was unhappy. I never have to call for customer service but in this rare occasion I called and Jessica completely dropped the ball on this one and just based on that experience I will be closing my account with Navy Federal.

Original review: April 12, 2019

Updated on 04/26/2019: I was advised by NFCU to consider having OOPS, during the chaos of having my account confiscated on February 15th. This action caused delay on my bills with late fees added on. Yes, NFCU granted me credit but taken back when my account was already in the negative and after a plea to pay in full just a couple of days later. I can not purchase anything with a negative balance but yet they went beyond reach to draft the credit; which made the negative account balance larger. As insisted by NFCU, on April 22nd I called before noon for the OOPs, Get a message on April 24th that it was declined because of a negative balance. Why am I still dealing with this bank? I was laid off from Wachovia before Wells Fargo taken over, I have over 16 years of banking experience. I thought being with a CU would be better, I am wrong and been with them too long!

Original Review: I finally found the guts to write a review on any company, but this was beyond kicking a dog when it's down experience. Don't get me wrong that my experience with NFCU was exceptional up until I've been a target for an unrecognized amount taken out of my checking on the same day a mandatory bill was due. Many unpleasant events happens beyond our control. But I will speak based on my experience of working and dealing with other banks myself.

NFCU however, did grant me credit to proceed with this bill and sent me a letter when it will be credited out of my account when recipient is tracked and my account is recovered. I realized that my account was in the negative and asked several times to make a full payment at the branch 10 days after the date because I have major utilities and auto drafts around that date. The bank credit the amount leaving a LARGER negative balance, and my direct deposit on payday still did not cover the balance leaving me without food, gas or my bill paid. I am not granted overdraft protection with the bank and they were aware of this but encouraged me to call the department who also could not help me.

NFCU sent me the following message: "Navy Federal Response 04/09/2019: Unfortunately the reversal of funds for a Merchant Credit is not available for a payment plan. The funds have been reversed as of 4/9/19. We now consider this matter closed." I mean, the only reason why I requested this was NOT because I did not want to pay, but because of the bills I had lined up to be paid around the time. As of this moment, I have mixed feelings about continuing business with this Bank.

Original review: April 8, 2019

I wanted to know if a lien against my home would disqualify for a 10.1 ARM. The home is worth 1000000 (one million) recent appraisal. The loan is 350,000 and the lien is 150000. They said no problem... Then they did a 180 and said we don't know. It's a rule isnt it? Why is it so hard to decipher their own rules?

Original review: April 4, 2019

I have been with Navy Federal for over two years. I opened a checking and saving account. I went to this bank because my daughter served in army. I had another bank I figure I give this bank a try. Well why did I do that I get paid every week. So on this past week which was 4/4/2019 I goes to check my account and it stated I was overdrawn by 100.00 so I called the representative that suppose to supervisor. He answered the phone very nasty and ignorant. As of 04/04/19 I will not let any of my money go into this account.

The guy was not trying to help me at all neither did he explain to me why my account overdrawn. I told him to close my account he told me I can’t close my account because I have credit card. I told him that bull **. Do not use this bank NFCU. LIES LIES LIES. RUN. It's best to keep your money at home in a secure place. All banks are full of excuses. They don't try help you do much anyway and charge you 1.00 for every time you swipe. RUN. RUN. RUN.

Original review: April 1, 2019

I have been a member with Navy Federal since 1999. It is now 2019. From February to March I've made nearly $9,000 in transactions. Normally there wouldn't be a glitch in any way, especially with Navy Federal. As of recent Navy Federal has been losing my money as well as incorrectly transcribing deposits. I'm not upset about the money aspect, but I'm very hurt that I can no longer trust Navy Federal with my money, which is =, to my time, = my life. I miss the old you Navy Federal and I'm an idiot for trusting any organization. If you value the money you earned I'd recommend staying away from Navy Federal.

Navy Federal Credit Union Company Information