3.7/5 (480 ratings)

About Navy Federal Credit Union

Navy Federal Credit Union Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navy Federal Credit Union?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Navy Federal Credit Union?

Original review: July 1, 2022

I called into the customer service line because I needed to get a rental and left my cards at home except for my Navy Federal credit card however the limit wasn’t high enough to get the car for that many days with the deposit. I called in and expressed my issue and Janel was able to get my credit limit increases immediately. She was awesome and I am very appreciative. Thank you Janel.

Original review: June 28, 2022

Tell you lies, disrespectful, question your integrity. I would not recommend this bank to any fellow veterans. They don't seem to have any integrity at all. It makes no sense to lie. Just be honest, respectful to your customers.

Original review: June 23, 2022

My husband took out a personal Loan. It was immediately approved. Email received in acct. paid a bill. Somewhere after it was removed then given back next day. They tacked on $500 advance and took his savings to bring account back up. Even though they made error they say we are responsible. Never trust when the banker states “Your Money Is In The Acct, you can use now”. We are fighting this.

Original review: June 6, 2022

I would rather bury my money in the back yard. I have reached out by mail, email and phone. All to no avail. They don't seem to be willing to open accounts. They are very good and being rude and condescending and apparently no one wants to do their job. I've tried and tried, I'm done.

Original review: June 1, 2022

I have financed and paid off vehicles with NFCU so I know the process. So when the lien paperwork arrived in the mail, I filled it out and returned it in the addressed envelope provided. About a month passes and I received another letter. I discarded it because it must've been sent in error. Some time passes and I receive another. I decided to just go ahead and fill it out and send it back. Some more time passes I get a notification tag on my door from UPS. I had no idea what it was because I was not expecting anything. Apparently, this UPS package was "signature required" and they kept trying to deliver it within the 9am-5pm work day while I was, ummmm, actually at work! During this time, I noticed my payment had been increased. And after speaking to several representatives, I found out the package was from NFCU. They were trying to send me the title. All they could say was that it should not be "signature required" but it was!!

What?!!! Ultimately, the title got sent back because I was never home when they tried to deliver it. The rep then told me, my payment would remain increased until they received notice that the title was signed over. They insisted that they didn't receive the signed paperwork that I had sent to them TWICE! I was then presented with the option to wait until they resent the title back to me. Meanwhile, I'd be paying more for my payment. I requested to speak with a manager because this was bogus! I had to wait for a call back, which took a day or 2. After speaking with him, I was presented with 2 options....wait for them to send it back to me and process through DMV myself or bring it to the branch and they would process it but would take longer.

I am the veteran and a very busy single sports mom...I didn't have time to take off work to walk this through DMV or keep paying the increased auto payment. And in regards to the payment, all they kept saying was, "You MAY get reimbursed for the overage after they receive the paperwork but that determination would be made in a different department."

In the midst of all of this, I received another set of paperwork in the mail for the lienholder. I signed it and sent it back in the self-addressed envelope again. I wanted to sent it with tracking but I had missed the PO that Sat and I did not want to wait so I dropped it inside the PO slot. After a little over a week, I called NFCU again. They stated that they had not received it. The lady asked the address I had sent it to. I told her it was the envelope that came with it...a Florida address. Then, I remembered, I had taken a picture of it at the PO. I told her the address and she told me that that was not the correct address...that address was to a branch. THIS WAS THE SELF-ADDRESSED ENVELOPE THAT CAME WITH THE LETTER! What kind of game is this?!!! She then said that I should go into the branch and sign the papers and let them send it.

I was shocked...this was an option over these last 2 months??!!!! Why didn't any of the other reps/managers tell me this from the beginning!!! That Sat morning, I went into the branch and did just that...EASY! Meanwhile, I'm paying the inflated payment and it's not likely I'll get my money back! About 4 more weeks have passed and I called because my payment hasn't changed and I haven't heard anything. I called today and while they did receive the paperwork, it's still being processed so I won't see my regular payment reinstated until it's complete.

I asked the rep about receiving my funds back. She told me that I would NOT be receiving anything back because "it's been an ongoing process to receive the paperwork". Are you freaking kidding me! I asked her, "Have you looked at ALL the notes and how long I've been talking to you guys to get this straight?!!!" Yes it's been an ongoing process with YOU guys, not me!!! I'm not done because this is absolutely ridiculous!!!! It's been almost 20 yrs and I've managed to have a semi-decent relationship with NFCU. I've heard negative stories but was happy to not be a part of one. Well, I guess it was my turn. They have been very unhelpful and up until the rep before this last one...No one cared!

Original review: May 24, 2022

If I could give zero stars, I would. Please go elsewhere for your mortgage needs!!! The mortgage department is a waste of resources. They will waste your time and money. Do not expect communication, professionalism, accountability, customer service or knowledgeable employees if you do attempt to apply for a mortgage.

Original review: May 24, 2022

The mortgage dept. is incompetent and after you lose $$$$ from paying bills that they tell you to pay.. they will wait a week before you are scheduled to close to tell you they made a mistake and you’re not really approved.. They will not take responsibility at all.. I will tell all my clients and colleagues to be aware of Navy Federal CU .... Save yourself time, money and pain .. Get your mortgage loan someone else!!

Original review: May 13, 2022

I have never appreciated Navy Federal more in my life. They just saved me $500 because they spotted a scam and placed my account on hold. Forcing me to call in, the representative pointed out all the red flags to the person I was sending money. This is who I want protecting my money!

Original review: May 13, 2022

The mortgage officer I had was new and inexperienced. 1st time buyer and it was the worst experience ever. Laughed at. Told to shop elsewhere. And loan officer was in vacation mode instead of focusing on my closing. Unfortunate because I loved this bank I have had a membership for 10 years. Now I don't really trust them. Was told to amend taxes then denied for amended taxes and told different reason for denial. Games played and I was lied to also.

Original review: May 10, 2022

My husband passed of Service connected ALS in 2020. They are no help to widows.. I couldn't even get a credit card.. They are very stringent with wives and widows and I feel very untrusted.. I am moving my savings out of here and just keep a small amount of money. They will say no to everything. I own my home. My car.. Very little debt but it doesn't matter if you are a widow or spouse. Don't ask for anything. It will be NO. My husband gave his life. A 25 year veteran..

Original review: May 9, 2022

Poor customer service....inaccurate charges, and terrible money management. I wouldn't recommend it. I don't feel like a valued customer. There's always something. I've gotten my family members to open accounts and now regret it.

Original review: April 29, 2022

NFCU has been an excellent bank, except for their Bill Pay service, which I would avoid. Bill Pay is managed by an outside for-profit company which services many other organizations and is very difficult to work with. Questions about missing checks, which they show as "paid" but which never arrived, have taken hours on hold with no documentation forthcoming. Bill Pay appears to be a quagmire that Navy Federal cannot penetrate.

Original review: April 20, 2022

In all of my years as a c.card holder and currently 12 major cards, NFCU by far is the worst. When it comes to protecting their cardholder they offer almost none. On several occasions it has been my experience that they require the cardholder to summit unrealistic proof for dispute whereas other companies will normally credit the customer until or unless the merchant in question prove their counterclaim. On this last claim four different dispute agents failed to read previous notes which added to frustrations and difficulties to follow up and resolve... SMH.

Original review: April 13, 2022

Navy Federal helped me obtain a joint checking account. I am a U.S Veteran who lives in the UK. Wells Fargo made me lose my checking account since I couldn't provide a U.S address. Navy Federal appreciate its Veterans, unlike Wells Fargo. Two thumbs up for their customer service!

Original review: March 31, 2022

For the first time in years received a paper payroll check and deposited that check at my local NF ATM. I called days later to see why the full check had not been deposited. To my surprise, I was told a 5 business day hold was on my check b/c it 'looked like it wouldn't clear'. Called my employer, found out that was not true. They offered to provide verification if NF would call them. Then I contacted my coworkers. Everyone in the building had their money except the 3 of us who had Navy Federal. Also found out from another employee who deposited their check days after I deposited mine, they had received their money *the same day*. Their check was more money than mine. How is that possible. Called NF back, no explanation for any of this, just stonewalling. In addition to this, they refused to call my employer to verify the check. This is the poorest service I have ever received from a bank or credit union. NF you just lost a long term customer.

Original review: March 31, 2022

FIRST AND FOREMOST MY HUSBAND IS A 100% DISABLED VETERAN WITH DIRECT DEPOSIT FOR THE LAST 8 YEARS. So it went without question that we recommended them to our daughter when she was ready to purchase her first vehicle on her own. They FLAT OUT denied her when she has near perfect credit. She turn right around and apply with another institution and was approved for over $60,000. Then my husband applied for a platinum Visa with well over a six and a half figure income to only be told they need 2-3 days to make their decision on whether or not do even approve him.

Implying that a ** MAN is not able to obtain that type of income, when they are the institution that houses most of our finances monthly. So we are going to flash forward to me being in a professional field where I handle credit scores and finances. One of my clients, A ** MAN (former soldier) with under a 625 credit score and less monthly income of my husband was able to walk into NAVY FEDERAL CREDIT UNION, complete a signature loan for $25,000 no questions asked. So please make that make sense. No one can because it doesn't. It has and will always be able a racial divide no matter how hard we try.

Original review: March 28, 2022

WILL NOT RELEASE FUNDS OR SPEAK TO A MANAGER TODAY. I unfortunately do not have the luxury of direct deposit with my employer. Manual Paychecks are released at 4:30pm on payday. My last payday was Friday, March 25, 2022. That day I purchased a newer vehicle at a dealership and received the loan through this bank. It took well over an additional one hour on the phone and well over a half an hour in a local branch to complete this after receiving a preapproval.

Due to their delays, my paycheck was submitted after their 6:00pm deadline. If submitted prior to that time, after the very small amount released after the check is approved, the remainder is released on the next day (Saturday). Per a call to the bank today, Monday, March 28, 2022; I am being told the remainder of my funds will not be available until Tuesday, March 29, 2022. This is 4 days after my check. Again due to their delays. I was also informed that I could not speak to a manager for 1 to 2 business days, due to their turnaround. This will be after my funds will be available. So, this bank is will to lose both my loan and banking, due to their delays. DO NOT DO any business with this bank or they will screw you.

Original review: March 21, 2022

Not sure what the problem is but they gave my husband grief over adding me to his account. Like I'm not his wife. Like I'm not also a U.S. Army combat veteran. Then to make matters worse, when I click for login help they act like they didn't give me a debit card. I used my birthdate and social to try to get logged in and was denied. I tried my husband's birthdate and social and was denied. When I finally got logged in using the credit card info and his birthdate and social all I could do was change his password. I Don't Want To Change His Password! I Want Access To My Account!

Original review: March 21, 2022

My family and I have banked at Navy Federal for over a decade. My partner and I decided to make a big jump to try and purchase our first new home, and were excited to include our bank in the pre-approval process. With excellent credit scores, and high six figure incomes, our only concerns were with debt-to-income ratios due to student loans. After getting underwritten pre-approval with 3 other lenders, Navy Federal's loan representative was too busy to talk, incompetent, and unprofessional in handling our loan file.

As a result, she submitted our loan file with inaccurate information, refused to discuss the profile and help clean up the inaccuracies (there were duplicates on our credit profiles that all three other lenders identified and fixed while she refused to even discuss it), and we received an instant denial after paying an excessive credit pull fee (a fee that no other lender charged). I would not recommend this bank for any mortgage, especially with how ripe the market is with quality competent options.

Original review: March 18, 2022

I have a credit score over 700. My transparency on this matter is crystal. I have had issues with Navy Federal Credit Union dating back to 2008 and 2009 while deployed to Iraq. NFCU failed to uphold a portion of a contractual agreement. I was forced to pay hardship insurance on my credit card. An additional interest on the balance to cover your expenses incase of a hardship. My ex-wife files for divorce while I'm deployed. NFCU denies my hardship request lying and saying the request has to go through an outside agency. I contact the other company and was told no, I am to go through NFCU. They are the institution that receives payment. NFCU lies and say I denied coverage. As a ** man in America in 2008 and 2009 timeframe there is no denying anything that would fatten the corporate world pockets. Not to mention no factual documents can be generated by navy federal.

When asked for my contracts I was told that would take legal action. I assume a subpoena. NFCU also stole money out of my savings account. NFCU took the initial $5.00 you must use to start the account. The initial $5.00 the member can never take out of the account. There was never no agreement signed by me in 2008 or 2009 and any action for that was illegally enforced by NFCU. This place knowingly charge servicemembers over 6% interest knowing they are active duty. Navy Federal Credit Union is a corrupt, racist, non-patriotic organization. It gets former service member to be the face to give the façade of supporting troops. This company is the glorified veteran that goes around taking advantage of new servicemembers. Flossing that rank and ripping the privates off claiming to support troops. There are numerous lawsuits against this POS institution just google.

Original review: March 11, 2022

Here's the bottom-line of their game: "Lock" you into a rate for 30 days. Drag their feet with requiring the same forms be submitted multiple times, contact by several people besides your mortgage broker, "just one more thing" questions along every step of the process. Then, after running out the clock, "offer" you the benefit of purchasing an extension of your rate lock to continue the process. I've refinanced a couple of times, never with Navy Federal. They were, by far, the worst. I felt like, as a veteran, I'd be treated fairly and respectfully. I was wrong. I can't believe Navy Federal runs a scam. Amazing.

Original review: March 10, 2022

Conditionally approved for a line of credit, charged $570 for an appraisal, the appraisal was more than needed, 4 months later the line of credit was denied for making a few small purchases with a credit card. They are either woefully inept or predatory. They lost my paperwork 3 times, promised an answer in 30 days, took four months. Horrible company, stay away.

Original review: March 4, 2022

UPDATE 2: After spending an hour on the phone with them this morning, I asked for a callback. I gave them specific times when I was available. A "Susan" called me 5 minutes before I had to go into a meeting. She promised to call back this evening and didn't. NFCU is pretty much saying: Go bank somewhere else. I'm happy to oblige.

UPDATE: Today I got an email saying that if I don't provide the document that takes the IRS 10-14 days to send within 5 days, they will deny my business application. Seems like NFCU really doesn't want business accounts. We opened a few personal accounts with Navy Federal Credit Union a few weeks ago. The process was fairly easy but when we tried to set up our online banking, they had several outages. We finally have our online accounts and access set up.

Opening a business account has proved to be much more difficult. You have to jump through a lot of hoops, provide documentation, and have NFCU's staff personally assist you on the phone. To make matters worse, they are only open East Coast hours. If you're on the West Coast, you have a smaller window to reach someone. It took me 3 days to speak to a person. Each time I called there were extensive hold times. When I did reach someone, they said they have had phone outages.

I completed the application online and have all of the numerous documents they require ready except an "EIN" certification that I have to get from the IRS. That's going to take 10-14 business days. I have opened quite a few business accounts in my day, I have never had to work this hard or wait this long to give an organization my business. I went with NFCU because a family member and others highly recommended them. So far, my experience has not been positive. I was going to close my accounts with a bigger mainstream bank but I've decided not to do that now.

Original review: March 1, 2022

NFCU calls itself a credit union, but they act like a big bank too big to fail. Their customer service is awful. I had recently moved and was trying to set up deferments on my accounts for the period of my move transferring from a foreign country back to the United States. I was one day late on posting a payment on my signature loan and I was blocked from entering my account. I set up a payment to pay the loan immediately. (First I would like to say, I set up to wire transfer $1000 from Fidelity that should have been deposited the day before, so I could pay my loan and the Navy Credit Union decline the wire transfer, please explain that logic to me.)

After I logged out and went into my account again the same day, I received the same message and couldn't enter my account and was taken to the page to make a payment. I check and there was no payment pending. I set up the payment again. This happen 3 times, remember they rejected my wire transfer from my fidelity account. I couldn't figure out what was happening. Then I found out that they had posted 3 payments to my fidelity account. You got to be kidding me. They never showed a pending payment. They blamed it on the software and told me there was nothing they could do about it, that they couldn't stop the process because it was done online and not by them.

I told them that they needed to address this with the enterprise system that they use for their own banking and the customer service representative told me they could not do that. I told her that was not true, that the thing with enterprise systems is they take recommendations from their customers for new features. I worked with large systems for half my life working for a software company and my clients included some of the largest dot coms and even companies who provided enterprise systems to customers. Otherwise, I know better.

This is not the only time I have had issues with the Navy Credit Union. That I have felt frustrated, this is just the one I am having today. Navy Credit Union, may want you to think they are a credit union, and maybe in some ways they are, but their customer service and their attitude are not one of a credit union. I have banked with a state employee's credit union in the past and a credit union through my job. Neither of those credit unions had customer service that was distant, defensive, and blamed the customer.

I have two loans right now with the credit union, and I have a plan to pay off all loans in 1/3 the time, and when I have them paid off, I am moving my money and my service to another bank. Most likely back to one of the other credit unions I had in the past since I am back living in the United States I have more options.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2022

I was told I could open a new account because my old account which was in the negative for over 10 years was dormant and I was allowed to open a new checking and savings account. I was excited that I had the chance to get a account again with Navy Federal Credit Union. So, I was told I had to fund my new accounts and I did, then I deposited more money in both accounts. When I tried using my card to pay a bill my card was declined, so I call navy federal and was told the account was opened in error and I told the representative that the money deposited was for my current light bill and water bill and that I would be down to the branch to withdraw the funds. So, before I had that chance to withdraw the funds my accounts had 0 balance and I was told that money was transferred and adjusted to that account I had 10 years ago.

I called the bank and was told I could not get that money back. Now my water and lights will be shut off due to the representative error, which was not my fault. So now I will be in the dark with no heat or water thanks to navy federal. This situation that happened to me was liked I've been scammed and lied to and I wish this on no one. So if anyone reading this has a old negative account with Navy Federal credit union please be aware that they will lie you just to get you to open a new account and then take your money and put it towards your old balance without your knowledge or approval. Navy Federal should be ashamed of themselves for lying and misleading me the way they did. It should be against the law to do a customer they way they did me. They have no remorse that my lights and water will be shut off in this winter season. Shame on you navy federal!!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2022

My son zelled me $100 and they shut my account and my debit card off. They also shut my Zelle and did not restore it. I was on the phone for over 4 hours all together and 2 hours of that time ON HOLD!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2022

I always try to make extra payments to decrease interest. Payments come out of checking immediately but never post to loan for at least 24 hrs (or 72 on weekends). Pretty sure computers transfer ASAP.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

Unfortunately, they lack customer care. Applied for a VA mortgage-took a week. Called, reply was email. USAA approved, they didn't. They also had "VA required" for a "nearest family member not living with you." Utter garbage, USAA and Rocket Mortgage -- "not required by VA". I checked the VA website and it is not mandatory. Navy Fed reminds me of the old school banks who are grossly concerned with their bottom line, the most restrictive requirements to get a loan, and little to have rates that are comparable.

3.1% with USAA and same with Navy. Go to Nerdwallet and compare Vet United (at your own risk), Navy Fed - (bad support, backwards online application - want purchase agreement before you can get a pre-approval). USAA was good, superior customer service/follow up with them not computer. Though USAA's interest rates and numbers for closing are a mixed bag. I would not recommend doing business with Navy Fed. Beware too of contingent upon purchase pushed by loan officer--"as long you pay this off by closing, we'll provide the loan." And if you can't, you lose the house and the money, nightmare!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2022

I will leave separate reviews for other aspects of banking with NFCU but when it comes to business accounts, they're absolutely incompetent. In summary, NFCU is a community credit union that wants to be as powerful as a large financial institution but seemingly does not have a strategy other than "raise rates, nickel and dime". When it comes to Business banking, they're just clueless. They took their personal banking square peg and just shoved it through the round hole of business banking. It's like a cheap fast-food franchise trying to offer an elevated dining experience. It simply does not work. There is no dedicated team of representatives to talk to on the phone and the situation is even worse at the branches.

Most of their enhanced services are outsourced ("partnered") so expect a conflict of interest when dealing with investment accounts and mortgages. On the Business banking side of things, I can't even trust them to deposit a client check and for them to honor their own hold policy. They send you a confirmation email that they will hold it for 2 days and then they hold it for 7. Even when you call them out on their errors, they simply point the finger to someone else outside of NFCU, even the Fed. Absolutely terrible. USAA they are not! I've been with them for 28 years and I wish I had the energy to find a better bank for business accounts. Right now they're the devil I know.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2022

My mortgage payment is due on the first of each month and I received a call on the 4th asking when my payment will be made and will I pay today. I explained that I have had this mortgage going on 3 years and never late once so why are you calling me when it is not late until the 16th of the month and the payment she called about was paid so she explained that she didn't have up to date info this has never happened before and I made it known that this is very disrespectful and I expect it to never happen again. My payments have always been on time and I am appalled that this happened.

Navy Federal Credit Union Company Information