2. Finance
  3. Credit Cards

3.8/5 (80 ratings)

About Merrick Bank

Merrick is an invitation-only bank that provides clients with opportunities to build or reestablish poor credit. Its FDIC-insured products include a secured Visa credit card, personal loans and certificates of deposit. Through a variety of programs, such as goScore, goSpecial and goLearn, Merrick Bank offers monthly FICO scores, shopping discounts and financial education to its customers.

Pros

• Cards and loans for low credit scores
  • Financial education resources
  • goScore program

Cons

• Minimum $25,000 for CDs
  • No balance transfers

Bottom Line

Merrick Bank specializes in credit repair products and services for people looking to rebuild or fix their credit. Some of its credit cards come with high fees, but its Platinum Visa card has double credit limit increases.

Merrick Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merrick Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merrick Bank?

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

Merrick is one of my top banks. I am very happy with the way we manage my account. They have been there when I needed credit and (as long as you make your payment on time) had trusted me enough to raise my credit limit. I am extremely happy with Merrick Bank!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

There are too many steps to confirm that bill has been paid. I have made an online bill payment at least 3 other times that led to me paying a late fee. I assumed that the bill was paid only to discover that it was not. This is the only credit card that I have experienced this issue out of 5 credit cards.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

I have only needed to speak with customer service one time, for something was truly was my mistake, and they graciously gave me a couple day reprieve. It was very much appreciated and definitely needed at the time. I would certainly recommend Merrick Bank to my friends and family!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

Merrick being a credit building company for those who need a second chance, I cannot thank them enough! Limit increases automatically as long as you do your part. I hope this company continues to grow!

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

A few years ago I applied to Merrick Bank for a credit card. My credit wasn't in good standings. Merrick approved a credit card for me and it was my first one. It has helped me raise my credit score. They also increased my credit limit twice. I would recommend Merrick Bank to anyone.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

I started out with Merrick Bank several years ago and they really helped me establish my credit. They have given me increases when I deserved them and when I have ever had a question or any information their customer service representatives have always been helpful and knowledgeable. I would definitely recommend Merrick bank to anyone looking to start their credit journey or just need a good reliable credit card.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2021

I started my account with $600 limit with an annual fee and paid on time for 6 months and it was automatically doubled to $1200 as promised in agreement and now after another year has gradually been raised to $1900. I have not had any adverse responses from the company nor problems tracking my transactions or payments on the website account.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2021

I applied for a cc. Was approved, however I quickly decided that this was not something that I needed- I did not want to keep this account and I wrote them to close it within a week of approval. I hadn't even received the card yet in the mail, it was never activated. Within a few weeks I was being hassled about my "payment being overdue." When I made contact via BBB for mediation, they responded telling me that I owe the "annual fee" regardless of whether or not I kept the account or even used the card. So to just get approval, I was immediately locking myself in for their "yearly fee", even after immediately closing the unused account. After my bbb report, they suddenly claimed that they had sent me a confirmation of account closure immediately after receiving the request- this was a lie as I NEVER received any confirmation letter.

After they got another bbb complaint, they quickly sent a bunch of "copies" of the statement of funds owed and a confirmation letter that they clearly typed up and put a date on that correlated with their story. But a letter that I had never actually received after requesting the account closure. They remain repugnant and insist the annual fee and now late fee are mandatorily owed. In addition to the $75 annual fee, they tacked on $45 for "overdue/late" status and some other nonsensical fees, which now put me at over $120 in debt. For nothing. Because I stupidly applied for the cc. Go ELSEWHERE unless you're sure you want to be indebted to these crooks forever.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

I like to pay my credit card account on the phone rather than on computer or cell phone. A few occasions I have spoken live to your staff and everyone has been knowledgeable and polite and were able to help me solve my problem.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

I like my Merrick card because your reward program is so simple and I never had to wait, or accumulate points, blah, blah, blah. I get the credit, how ever much it is immediately. The other cards kill you with complicated programs. Nuts to that!

Merrick Bank Company Information