3.4/5 (73 ratings)

About Merrick Bank

Merrick Bank specializes in programs for those looking to build or rebuild their credit. The FDIC-insured company has served nearly 3 million cardholders and extended over $5.3 billion in credit. It also provides consumer finance options to marine, RV and horse trailer dealers. With its merchant acquiring services and independent sales organizations, it supports a wide range of merchant categories and offers multinational and dynamic currency services, next-day funding and daily reconciliation.

Pros

• Cards and loans for low credit scores
  • Financial education resources
  • goScore program

Cons

• Minimum $25,000 for CDs
  • No balance transfers

Bottom Line

Merrick Bank specializes in credit repair products and services for people looking to rebuild or fix their credit. Some of its credit cards come with high fees, but its Double Your Line credit card has double credit limit increases.

Merrick Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merrick Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merrick Bank?

Original review: May 24, 2022

A flight was booked using a Merrick Bank card in early Jan. I had covid and could not fly per the country's regulations. Merrick could not help in refunding the money after I was not able to receive help from the airline. They denied my case although for other purchases placed on other credit cards all were refunded. I am looking towards cancelling my account as my other cards are much better.

Original review: May 15, 2022

My one complaint is that I had it set on my computer to automatically log in which worked great for a year. My computer re-freshened and forgot the login and password. I do not remember them and have been unable to get online again due to the impossibility of getting them on the phone. It tells me to go online, but without a login or password, it tells me to call them. A perfect catch 22.

Original review: May 14, 2022

We love our Merrick card. Merrick bank is a great company, bank to deal with. They have Easy and convenient ways to pay, we like the notifications - it has been a great experience doing business with Merrick bank card.

Original review: May 11, 2022

Called MB on a Saturday to have a new card sent to me, expedited, and agreed to the $29 rush fee. Told to call back on Tuesday for tracking. Called and no tracking. Called the next day and MB confirms this was sent out yesterday, standard. MB confirmed notes in the account that the replacement was to be rushed. Agent put me on hold for a bit and came back and told me they would send it out today, expedited, and waive the fee. Great! Asked for a tracking number and put on hold, call unfortunately disconnects.

Called back and the new agent has no record of the conversation I just had with the agent who allegedly expedited my card and got the fee waived but sees a new card issued, standard and not expedited again. Literally asked the agent if this is a scam or am I living in the Twilight Zone. New agent said they would have it expedited, so I asked for tracking or a confirmation number. Agent informs me I would get an email saying it is expedited, normally would get one saying 5-7 business days and to not worry. Great! Hung up. Get an email saying I would get my card in 5-7 business days, NOT expedited. Seriously...

Original review: May 10, 2022

I like the credit card and had no bad experience until I decided to pay my payment earlier than the due date. I decided to pay my bill on the 1st thinking I would get it over with so I wouldn't have to worry later. Well they ended up on the following month saying that I never paid. I called and was told that because I paid on the 1st it was put on the previous month as I paid 2 times for that month. I was so livid because I was never told in any of the paperwork that you would be penalized for paying early. Which the lady I was connected to also stated how it's not my fault because they don't tell anyone. But yet I still have to pay twice the payment amount they had me pay a payment and added another at the end of the month. Which makes it 2 payments I have to pay and was not told that during the conversation on the phone. I had to find out when I looked on my statement. Lesson learned. I will not pay any of my credit card bills early again.

Original review: May 7, 2022

Great communication via email. They offer autopay which is awesome. You don’t have to request a credit limit increase as they periodically check your eligibility and give you one if you meet their standards financially. They don’t have any monthly fees unlike this First Premier card I had that would charge $6 a month even with a $0 balance.

Original review: May 6, 2022

I love this credit card. They are very helpful when you have questions and up your spending limit when you are keeping your account in good standing. The extra credit comes in handy. I just moved into a new place and the extra credit came in handy. That was great. I didn’t have to ask. Thanks.

Original review: May 6, 2022

I would highly recommend Merrick bank to anyone. Great company. Always there when you need them for anything. Customer service is amazing. Very helpful and knowledgeable. I definitely am a life long merrick card holder. Of all the cards I got merrick is the absolute best. One low interest. Very fair reviews of my credit and very honest. Love this company.

Original review: May 6, 2022

I found my experience with Merrick Bank satisfying, because it has given me an opportunity to reestablish my creditworthiness among other things. Merrick Bank offered me a generous line of credit to start, a chance to maintain the ability to use the Merrick VISA credit card in a responsible manner, and all the while help me increase my overall credit scores. I was then able to rebuild my credit, showing that I was deserving of the chance, and I went on to establish a good relationship with a creditor. Thank-You Merrick Bank! Ms. Terri

Original review: May 1, 2022

I'm happy with having the advantage of a Merrick Bank card and would recommend to a friend or other. I've never experienced any issues and like the ability to view my account online. Paperless is good, paying online is great.

Original review: April 30, 2022

I’m enjoying the service. It was my first credit card. The APR is somewhat high but my credit score was crappy when I applied for it. Just wish the limit increases didn’t take so long or were so little. I think I’ve had 3 increases. Had the card over 3 yrs.

Original review: April 29, 2022

Merrick Bank has been great for me. I would recommend my friends and family to them. Customer service was great. They resolved my issues and will remain loyal to Merrick Bank. Merrick Bank keeps me updated on what's happening and when it's time to review my account.

Original review: April 28, 2022

I paid my bills on time perfectly. Never missed a payment. I got approved for other CC and accidently forgot to utilize my Merrick CC for a little while. Next then you know, my account is closed without warning for lack of use after 8 years! Called CS and they were so callous about it, just kept saying over and over, "Sorry it's in the policy." Matter fact, I actually did not get not ONE sorry from any of the customer service. Don't waste your time with Merrick, they hate on their own customers. Spiteful and jealous corporation. Total **!

Original review: April 12, 2022

Got qualified for a Visa. Received my card instantly and activated. My beef is that they sent me a separate PIN in a mailer which would not work. When I called their support to get it changed, got a very foreign speaking rep who first asked for my full account number, then my full SOC. I don't think so. Didn't trust that. I hung up.

Original review: March 23, 2022

Does not follow through with offers they make to get you to open account. Their guaranteed credit line increase after 6 on time payments is scam. It doesn't happen. The so called guaranteed increase is just to sucker people in.

Original review: March 22, 2022

After being a single mom for years, my credit was not exactly good. Merrick Bank gave me the opportunity to gradually increase my credit worthiness with regular increases for maintaining a good payment history. The automatic reviews are convenient rather than having to submit a form to increase my credit limit. I would definitely recommend this card to a friend.

Original review: March 19, 2022

I have so appreciated Merrick's "trust" in me...when I first got this card my credit wasn't the best...but Merrick trusted me...gave me a chance...and has often increased my credit limit. This means so much to me. You are a great bank...and the couple times I have called customer service they were very helpful. Thanks a million. I love you guys...Bob **

Original review: March 19, 2022

Merrick is not a company I would recommend anyone get a credit card with. They are horrible to their clients. I put a dispute in and had all the proof that merrick asked of me. The company I was disputing dispute me back. And even though merrick had all my proof they sided with the company. Capital One would have never done that. That’s why as soon as my balance is paid off, I will be closing the account. I will tell all my friends who are looking to open an account with merrick to just stick to capital one. Merrick does not value its customers. It’s all about money.

Original review: March 14, 2022

I was scammed on Paypal. My bank, and Capital One both reversed charges. Said not my fault. Merrick did not. Said valid charges and screwed me with almost a thousand in charges. Will be paying off and dropping this card.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2022

I consider Merrick to be a fair and awesome company and I always recommend them to my friends and family. I really appreciate them because they are very friendly, courteous and professional to do business with. Thanks very much Merrick.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2022

After paying my balance in full my account has been restricted. It has been one week after the payment cleared my bank. I checked the available balance before trying to use the card and was embarrassed trying to make a purchase only to be declined. Customer service informed me I needed a letter from the bank stating the balance was paid. How can this happen when they see it has been paid in full. I have never been late and only one month from double my limit. Must be their way to get rid of you, but customer service also refused consumer request to close account with zero balance.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2022

You can be assured that Merrick Bank will help you find the resources that best suit you. I have a credit card with Merrick Bank that I have never had an issue with. You can trust the services that Merrick Bank offers.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2022

I am very happy with the bank. Their app makes it very easy to keep track of spending and making payments. It's always worked. No glitches. Recommend to friends and acquaintances looking for a good bank card.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2022

I have a couple issues with Merrick bank's credit card. Firstly, they have reported my credit usage at the highest point of my credit use. That is awful because I have always paid my monthly credit card bill in full well before the due date each month. I have NEVER carried over any balance whatsoever. I currently have zero balance, but my credit usage has not been updated with the credit bureaus! Because my credit lines are limited, the high credit usage on my credit report has adversely affected my credit score by -30 point over the past two months. It's making me feel sick to my stomach.

Second issue, I tried to set up my bank information to make payments direct from my checking account. It's not letting me do this and I have to go through a 3rd party payment system and pay $2.95 each time I pay my bill. I contacted customer care, they directed me to contact my bank to get a letter, yadda yadda... but seriously. That is just extra!

Third Issue, there is no way to contact customer service via their online website/app. They have a link for a secure message center that does not allow us to send them messages. The only way to contact them is by calling their customer service number. So I called and was put on hold for over an hour and ultimately decided to hang up. I decided to call back and choose the option where they will phone me back... estimated wait time for that was 2-3 hours. :(

Original review: Jan. 27, 2022

When I call, it is impossible to increase the credit limit or to review my interest rate. Never missed a payment that I am aware of, and always paid more than the requested/required/suggested amount. When I did finally get through to a representative, she very curtly said, "We don't increase credit limits at the request of customers." Could have said, "We don't increase credit limits until it is time for a review." Would have probably been better received. Thank you, I haven't closed my account, only paid it off.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2022

I have misplaced my card in my home. I want to cancel and get a new one but you cannot do that in the app or online like you can with literally every other reputable bank. There is not a chat feature either, so my only option is to call and wait on hold. The wait time was over 30 minutes and there was not a call back option so I hung up and still do not know where my card is. I got a new phone and do not remember my password to pay my bill. I cannot reset my password or get my username because it requires knowing the account number. I do not know the account number and do not know where the card is. The lack of customer service is appalling.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2022

The reason I love Merrick Bank is because compared to other credit card companies, in my opinion, this bank is quietly doing the right thing. I have never had a problem that they did not handle quickly. My issues which have been few over the past 10 years was not problems with the bank and the way it operates. I honestly believe that when I never have problems with my bank it is because they are doing things the right way ALL the time, not some of the time.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2022

2 items ordered but never received. Charged to my account through PayPal **. Merrick Bank was great in standing behind the purchase. I did not know PayPal was involved. I thought it was going on my Merrick bank card. And there was no indication on the site that it was coming from China. I would never have ordered. Thanks for helping me with this!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2022

I'm fairly happy with my card. I appreciate the occasional review for limit increases and the fact that there is no annual fee. I'm not happy with my interest rate and ask that it be reassessed for a lower rate. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2021

After realizing that my card was missing/lost, I put a quick stop on the website. Now, I've called several times to speak with someone about a replacement and discover that my wait time is unacceptably long. I'll try again tomorrow, Monday 12/20.

Merrick Bank Company Information