3.31/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Merrick Bank is a top 20-issuer of Visa® credit cards with nearly two million customers, specializing in helping customers establish, re-establish, or rebuild their credit. The Bank offers two types of lending products for this purpose, unsecured credit cards and secured credit cards. Additionally, Merrick Bank provides consumer financing for marine and recreational vehicles, and Merchant Services throughout the United States.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1606 Merrick Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Credit card customer with Merrick for a few years now. Everything with company has been great! -Just wish they didn't charge annual fees (paid monthly) and high rates. Especially when the Fed charges them under .05-2%!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Merrick Bank gave me a legitimate credit card when I was rebuilding my credit and as I proved myself and increased my credit score they increased my credit limit on a regular basis. Their app made tracking my account and making payments easy. Now I qualify for top tier CC's!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I would recommend the periodic credit line increases to be more like my other credit cards accounts in good standing and payment history should be considered for 1,000 increases to build a stronger portfolio.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I have not had any really bad experiences with Merrick Bank. They have been good & unlike some others when they see that you do pay your bills they raise your limit. I was very happy to see that! I have not had to contact them for any reason so am not sure how the customer service department is.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

To the glory of God in my Lord and SAVIOUR CHRIST Jesus Merrick Bank has been truly a Godsend. It is all around a game changer for anyone who is committed to rebuilding their credit. God bless in Jesus glorious and wonderful name. Amen.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merrick Bank?

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I have had no problems with Merrick since opening a credit account with them. Customer Service very polite and helpful. I got my card because my parents have had a card with them for years and have been happy with their service.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I think Merrick Bank is a great company in which to do business with. My husband and I both have accounts with their credit cards, and are very pleased with their service. I would certainly recommend anyone wanting to get a credit card to give them a try first before other places. We are very pleased with their service!!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I am happy to be a Merrick Bank customer and have been for over a year. When I was in college I had more than one credit card and didn't use them wisely. Now in my 30s I wanted to start rebuilding my credit. Merrick Bank constantly reviews my account, and has increased my credit limit on multiple occasions. This means that a card that started out as a small builder card is now a card I could use in nearly any emergency and know that I'm covered! It's amazing to have a company willing to build on the customer/bank relationship in such a way! Customer service is also generally polite and incredibly helpful. I would recommend Merrick Bank to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I was at first skeptical about joining Merrick Bank because of the reviews, but I went for it and I love this card. So far, it’s been great and it does what it says, brings up my credit score. I would recommend this card to anyone.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I enjoy using my card, but get tired of paying the 3.00 fee per month when I don't have a balance. Have even considered closing my account because of this. Too many good cards out there to put up with this fee.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

It started out ok. Had no issues for a while. Then one day, I booked a reservation for a hotel with their card on my cell phone. Then there were three fraudulent charges made for $1100. I disputed them. Within 2 weeks, after investigating, they ruled in my favor. The money was credited back to my account. About two months later, they took back their clearance, and charged me the $1100. When I called, they said the other party challenged, and Merrick Bank sided with them. Their reason was, it wasn't fraud since the perpetrator had my address. Of course the perpetrator would have my address along with my credit card number. I disclosed it when I made the reservation, since it was my billing address.

Merrick bank said in order to reopen the fraud claim, I would have to write them a letter. I wrote them a letter, about six weeks went by and nothing happened. When I questioned them, they just said, "We have no letter." I have had many credit cards, and never an issue. Do not do business with them, sooner or later, you will be sorry.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

Bad enough getting charged an annual service fee BUT these guys charge you a single payment for the first year. BUT after that they charge you $4.00 monthly. No option to pay the whole year in advance... just plain irritating getting a bill for $4.00 every month. They won't take an advance payment either. If you try to pay the whole year in advance they will send the balance back to you after 90 days and start billing you again. And the obvious... if you were ever late on that $ 4.00 payment... BAM goes on your credit. BIG COMPANY DUMB COMPUTER NONSENSE. FIND A BETTER BANK AND CARD.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I applied for this card and received an approval status and was asked to send my deposit. I sent it and called to verify if they received. The lady in customer service stated, "You will receive a letter." 1st off if you say approved that mean approved. Why would you ask for a deposit and I’m not approved. Then it’s taking 21 days for me to get my money back but took you 5 seconds to snatch it out my account. Furthermore this is a secured card which I’m using my own money so why would I be denied. I do not recommend this card at all. It’s false advertisement.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I was over the limit this month by 18.00. What did these scumbags do?? Reported me to the credit bureaus. No call, email or letter. Absolutely disgusting. Closing card soon. This is beyond unethical!!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

There was a block put on my card due to potential fraudulent charges. I needed to use my card and when I called in to address the issue I was put on hold for over an hour before I finally had to give up. I have a screenshot of the call to prove it. There is no doubt the lady on the other end of the phone did not want to help me, put me on hold and left me there.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I have over 2500 available credit, but card was decline, I was connected to security department and person by name Carlos, was very rude and because probably he don't like my accent he just give me runaround and hung up on me. I think you shouldn't keep people like this working with the customers. My card is block. You losing money, and this to the longtime loyal customer. Most likely I will never use this card again.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

Customer service dept is great as is the credit card in general, never have a problem with these people. The couple times I had to call customer service, they were super friendly and helpful. Didn't charge me anything to replace my cards when I broke them. And when I was off work and missed a payment they didn't call my phone excessively like the others. Thank you Merrick for taking care of your customers!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

I tell everyone Merrick is great of all the credit cards. I always will stay with Merrick credit card as soon as I am praying to pay off my other credit cards and then am closing them sticking with only my Merrick credit card. Thank You.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

Call center employee MOSES solicited family member SS number. Was told to call back with number. Subsequent Call center contacts refuse to explain the request. Account closed immediately at my request. I wonder what they do with all those Social Security numbers.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I needed to change my payment date on this closed account. I have paid faithfully for over 3 years. The customer service person said they would not do this and that I would be charged a late fee even though the account is closed. They will not cut you any slack even for a couple of days.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I have had a Merrick CREDIT CARD account for nearly 18 months. I have found using it as well as making online payments at the web site, reconciling the account, etc., to be a seamless process. I am thankful that Merrick has periodically increased my credit line as I demonstrate responsibility.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

This company, though the rates are high, has always treated me respect. They've monitored my credit at no additional cost, increased by credit limits periodically, and provide awesome customer service when there are fraudulent transactions. I have no complaints. Couldn't give 5 stars because of the high interest rate and annual fee.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I would gladly recommend Merrick Bank. I have never had any issue's using my card both domestically and internationally. Customer service is Friendly and helpful. They give periodic credit line increases (wish you could request) however they do offer them frequently. They offered me credit when I was rebuilding my score and helped me towards achieving the credit score I have today. The credit lines they offer are decent to start. Having a account with Merrick Bank get's you access to your fico score monthly and as I stated friendly customer service. I am happy I accepted the invitation to apply and have not one negative thing to say towards Merrick Bank. If you are looking for a credit card either secured or unsecured I recommend Merrick bank. I've been a happy customer for several years.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I called about the possibility of lowering my interest rate several months ago and the female I spoke with was so cold and uncaring. I understand that it’s policy not to lower interest rates but the information could of been delivered with much more compassion.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I enjoy my Merrick Bank card. The website is easy to use and I feel very safe. I am rewarded for making my payments on time and kept informed of any changes. I would recommend Merrick Bank to anyone interested in a credit card.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I was not so pleased when I received a statement for $135 for “account set up” and an annual fee and a extra card for my wife. I feel as though that information should be written in bold print for new customers to see. I feel what they did was sneaky and not customer friendly. Not very please with this.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I have been a member of Merrick Bank for over a year. I started out with a low account balance and within 6 months My account was increased to a larger balance. I always pay my bill on time and is in good standing with my account. I have nothing bad to say about Merrick Bank. I would easily recommend this Bank to a friend.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I like Merrick Bank - the only thing I'm not happy with is the $5.00 they charge me monthly as an "Annual Fee". That means even with a zero balance I will always have a monthly payment to them. Not happy with that.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I had a Merrick Bank card a few years ago. They raised my Credit limit & all was fine until there were some charges that were not mine & when I disputed them they wouldn't remove them. Long story short I stopped paying. It got so bad. Last year I got a letter from a collections company that offered a settlement for a much lesser amount. I paid it & received a letter from an attorney stating the account was 'paid in full.' That was last April. Today I got a 1099-C from Merrick Bank for the amount of $1423.00 charge off! I assume they are sending this for me to file on my 2018 taxes as income. This said 'charge off' but my paid off letter from an attorney said 'paid in full' even though it was a lesser amount. It was a 'settlement'. I am perplexed & rather upset. Calling the attorney tomorrow. Just thought this information might be helpful for other consumers who have been burnt by Merrick Bank.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

DO NOT open an account with Merrick Bank. I was in collections and had payment arrangements set up with TRUE ACCORD (creditor) to pay off my balance. They deducted one payment and set up the next two to be automatically deducted from my checking account. Now I have a second creditor calling me (CARSON SMITHFIELD LLC) stating that my account is now with them and I owe the ORIGINAL BALANCE (my payment to TRUE ACCORD was not deducted from the amount).

I called Merrick Bank and was told by their lovely customer service agent that they are allowed to sell their accounts to any collector they want, regardless of any pending payment arrangements already made. This is not RIGHT and sounds highly illegal to me. I now have to prove my payment plan existed with the original collector and that money was deducted from my account, all while my credit score is being negatively affected by this. I refuse to pay the entire balance and am very strongly considering hiring an attorney. STAY AWAY FROM MERRICK BANK!

Merrick Bank Company Information