3.48/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Merrick Bank is a top 20-issuer of Visa® credit cards with nearly two million customers, specializing in helping customers establish, re-establish, or rebuild their credit. The Bank offers two types of lending products for this purpose, unsecured credit cards and secured credit cards. Additionally, Merrick Bank provides consumer financing for marine and recreational vehicles, and Merchant Services throughout the United States.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1523 Merrick Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I have many credit cards and honestly think this one is my favorite. The interest rate is a little higher, but the way they have it set up makes paying and viewing your bill simple. I can pay my bill the day after a charge and do not have to wait for 30 days or until processing. I prefer to keep my card low, but show activity so paying it within a few days of use is what I like. Many other cards do not allow you to pay days after a charge or you are unable to make multiple payments per month. Merrick Bank is easy to work with and fair. I’ve received multiple credit line increases and am notified by a simple email and have electronic bills. Perfect card for beginners, too.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I have had a Merrick Credit card for about 2 years and there's no way to request a credit line increase. No late payments and have always paid hundreds more than minimum due. I have $90,000 in a line of credit account and can only spend it with checks or my credit cards. I love my Merrick card but they are missing out on large profits as I am forced to use my other cards. I will provide a copy of my bank statement if it will get me a credit line increase. I am forced to apply for other cards to meet my credit needs as I am remodeling my home.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

We needed a card to re-establish credit with, and Merrick was perfect. They provided credit score info, were easy to work with in terms of online payments, and increased our credit over time. Have recommended to others.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I would recommend Merrick Bank. I love that you are able to make payments online in many different ways, not just with a checking account. Your limits will increase when you pay on time with no charge.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

After our bankruptcy, we were so concerned about obtaining credit again. Merrick took a chance on us and we have been perfect with our payment history. They even increased our limit three times! Thank you Merrick for giving us the chance to prove ourselves worthy.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merrick Bank?

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

So far I am extremely pleased with all dealings with Merrick Bank! While I do have cards with other banks, this has become my favorite to use, as customer service is excellent, and they have been appreciative of my business!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I have had only good results with you. Only one problem, I have recently had changes in my insurance... now $650 a month deductible. I had surgery in May with follow up visits. Prior to this, ALL medical was covered. Because I receive $20 more a month on SSDI, I now have $650 mo deductible. This has caused many problems... Aug 14th I lost sight in my left eye... and have now gone to 4 eye doctors in an attempt to find the problem. Now I understand that is not your problem. But just wanted to explain, I am short on cash. I had set up auto payment, but had to cancel because I didnt have the funds. I called to see if I could set up auto pmt for 10-4-18 for $100 to avoid a late payment penalty, but was told they dont do that. So... my payment is late and I HATE that. I have not missed a payment so that might be something to consider...

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

While the interest rates can be cringe-worthy after the 1st year, Merrick is not a bad way to rebuild from a devastating financial disaster. I would recommend once you have rebuilt yourself to find better and cheaper alternatives.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I have had my problems with paying the bill online at times because I've had trouble getting in the bank site, so I can pay my bill. Since I'm pretty bad on a computer anyway, I get really disgusted with myself for not knowing how or what to do. I give up and that cost me money cause it makes me late on my payment. I think the bank thinks I don't pay my bill on time because I don't want to. 99.9% is what I wrote above that. 1% happens but it isn't normal, but anyway lately I seem to be getting in a little easier. Now that I said next time I go to pay it, it will probably be a pain in the neck again.

I know if all else fails call the helpline. I have a hard time figuring out what or how to explain what my problem is. I have called twice. The first time was a young woman, she helped me right through it, but the second time was some guy which, took a long time back and forth with him 'til we figured it out, and then ended up costing me money which wouldn't have happened if I could have got in to pay my bill. Now that I got that off of my chest, either wise I like the way everything works that I have seen.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I made a payment twice on my account. The payment shows in your record as pending from the same account I have used in the past. Yes was I able to charge on my card. I asked that the hold be removed, but your rep refused. I was unable to use my card for a transaction of $20 even though I had a balance of over $500 on my account. I asked for a supervisor but the rep told me none was available.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

I was offered a Merrick Bank Visa shortly after we had completed a chapter 13 bankruptcy. A relatively small credit line with promise to double it in 7 months if I was responsible. It had been 4+ years since we had credit, and they offered a card with no annual fee and a grace period. That made me feel like I was worthy again for credit! I accepted, and in the 3 yrs we have had the card, our credit rating has increased as has our credit limit. I have only paid interest twice, as I pay the balance off each month. Always early or on time. Thanks Merrick Bank for the "2nd chance". We have learned from our financial struggles from 2007 to 2014 how to use credit responsibly!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

Satisfied, except for monthly fees. I have been a customer for years and I think Merrick bank should consider removing these charges based on experience with customers. I always pay on time and never go over the limit.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I had two fraud charges post to my account. When I noticed the charges on my August 2018 statement, I called to report the fraud. I was told the charges would be investigated, no payment would be required on the disputed charges, the charges would "suspended" pending the investigation, and a new card would be issued. Several weeks later I received my new card. My September 2018 statement cycled and the charges were still showing in the balance with a minimum payments requirement. I called back to Merrick Bank today to inquire why. The rep told me I was still responsible for the charges until such time as the investigation was completed. What a joke. The "rude service reps" are an even further stain on this company.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I just got off the phone with a Merrick Bank credit card services representative and a supervisor and I am livid. Over the last 2 days, Citibank, Chase and Capital One all have taken my request to lower my APR and raise my credit line. Merrick Bank will do neither as they do not allow customers to ask for an increase and they will never lower an existing APR according to the supervisor. I have had my card for three years with 100% on time payments. Since I am not appreciated at MERRICK BANK, I will no longer use my card and pay down 95% of its balance by year's end. I am extremely disappointed and will not recommend anyone doing business with MERRICK BANK and it 27% - 32% rates. Definitely sharing to my network and asking them to share as well.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I had a zero balance and hadn't used the card in over a year because I kept it for emergencies only. Well, they dropped my limit from $2200 to $300 without notice and then promptly sent me a letter stating that my account would be closed in 30 days for non-use and even if I used the card now nothing would change this. Very unprofessional company. If you have other options, you'd be wise to go elsewhere.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I'm very happy in my dealings with Merrick Bank. I am in the process of rebuilding my credit & they took a chance on me. What they said they would do, they have & I've had no problems with them at all! Was scared to deal with any credit card people but am glad I decided on Merrick!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

You are the greatest I've heard of in many years. Two hours after midnight at 2:00 AM the day after my seven monthly payments, the balance increased just as you said it would. Thanks to all of your staff. God bless all of you!!!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

My Merrick Experience, as I call it, has be awing. When learning of a credit card that can help rebuild credit and increase the credit limit with on-time payments. It's like being rewarded for being responsible. It has been great having this card. I have recommended to several in similar situations. Thanks Merrick Bank.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I am satisfied, with Merrick Bank. They keep their promise. And that is what I was looking for. Good, very good and I keep looking for people like that. I will give a 10. to Merrick Bank. If someone ask for recomendation I will stand.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I am very happy with my Merrick Bank credit card account. No complaints. I had to contact customer service once because for some reason I couldn't get my password to work and they helped right away. I would recommend this card.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

When I received the pre-qualification offer, what stuck out to me was line of credit $900. But after building a 7 month I believe relationship in good standing the line of credit would double! This card works for me as a revolving credit card, meaning monthly bills, cell phones, credit sesame, Microsoft Office subscription etc. Every month auto pays! And as promised line of credit just doubled! I highly recommend Merrick Bank, and they report to all 3 credit agencies! Thank you Merrick for finding me, and look forward to many years as a customer!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I have found Merrick Bank to be a blessing in helping me to rebuild my credit. They have been more than generous with their credit limit. And then the increase seven months later. I love them. Thank you Merrick Bank.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

It is a privilege and an honor to have a Merrick Bank credit card. The monthly payments are very reasonable and easy. It is accepted anywhere. I got an unexpected credit increase which was a very wonderful and useful surprise. THANK YOU Merrick Bank for the outstanding service!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

What attractive me about this particular bank was the fact that they were willing to give me a second try although my credit wasn't the best. They took a chance and because of that their chance on me, I was able to provide for my family in the time of crisis and emergency.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I am happy to have this card as it is pulling my credit score up a little every month. Interest is higher than I like, but it will get better. Would like to see a credit increase also, as a reward for on-time payments.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Merrick Bank credit card is one of the best cards I have ever had. They started me out with a good credit limit and in 6 months if I paid on time they would double the limit which they did. So I cut up a few of my other cards and have this one now. Great job Merrick. Keep up the good work and your word.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I only use credit cards for emergency such as a auto breakdown or travel. I mailed my bill on the 9th of last month. The bill was due on the 14th. I was charged a late fee. The woman on the phone was very pleasant and waived the fee. I am grateful for that. But it concerns me about your processing of mailed paid bills and your eagerness to charge late fees in a inappropriate manner. I will be hesitant to use your card before others in my possession.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Just want to say that Merrick's bank card gave me a chance and I will not let them down. I use that card and they doubled my amount and I really appreciate that. So to all the people that work there thank you and you are the best.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

It's a credit card... I mean the rates arent the best, but they are pretty good with credit line increases. My issue with them is the late charge... If you forget (we are all human) and rush around to do a bank transfer and the bank transfer comes in the day after the due date even though you initiated it on the due date I dont think they should charge you the 35.00 late fee.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I have been a cardholder for eight months now and I have had a very good experience with the card and the customer associates who have helped me when I needed a clarification. They are quick and knowledgeable too.

Merrick Bank Company Information