Disclosures

3.6/5 (119 ratings)

About Merrick Bank

Merrick Bank specializes in programs for those looking to build or rebuild their credit. The FDIC-insured company has served nearly 3 million cardholders and extended over $5.3 billion in credit. It also provides consumer finance options to marine, RV and horse trailer dealers. With its merchant acquiring services and independent sales organizations, it supports a wide range of merchant categories and offers multinational and dynamic currency services, next-day funding and daily reconciliation.

Pros

• Cards and loans for low credit scores
  • Financial education resources
  • goScore program

Cons

• Minimum $25,000 for CDs
  • No balance transfers

Bottom Line

Merrick Bank specializes in credit repair products and services for people looking to rebuild or fix their credit. Some of its credit cards come with high fees, but its Double Your Line credit card has double credit limit increases.

Merrick Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merrick Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merrick Bank?

Original review: Nov. 22, 2022

Even when simply making a payment, I get a written response reminding me that I am valued as a customer. In addition, I am kept well informed of many events that may concern me. Other than that. It's a great bank.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2022

Merrick has been very helpful in assisting me with building my credit back. I would definitely recommend them to anyone. The app is very easy to use and helpful also. I absolutely love Merrick Bank! I now am able to rebuild my credit and have purchase power to get the things I need. Thank you Merrick Bank!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2022

I am very glad because I am doing a good job with my credit to get a better credit score and I hope continuing to do it in order to get more credit and I also recommended for more people in the same situation.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2022

I love the treatment I receive from Merrick. They let me feel as if I am their only customer. When they receive a payment (usually electronic payments), they would email me to say, "We have received your payment" and whenever I happen to call, they sound only too happy to hear from me.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2022

Sent a payment of 50$ on Nov. 14 and still hasn't posted but all in all great bank to do business with. Would recommend to all friends. Customer service is nice and friendly, and very honest and helpful. Love my card, great credit card Co.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2022

I still haven’t received a working card but I’ve had to pay $172. Customer service isn’t always helpful. I’m starting to think it’s a scam. I haven’t been able to set up an online account to manage my account and the bill always comes after it is due so I get a late fee. I’m paying for a card that I have yet to use. If I don’t get the card within the week I’m closing the account.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2022

I was surprised when I got my invitation from Merrick Bank because I'm trying to rebuild my credit and they gave me a very nice card with a generous amount on it and they report to my credit bureaus all the time and it has brought up my credit score quite a bit and it was very easy to do the online part of it.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2022

Very helpful in explaining why my payment did not go through, very understanding and helpful. The representative was able to process the payment successfully. I had just received the card and was making my first payment. Fortunately, there was no penalty processed. Thank you so much.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2022

I do appreciate you giving me a chance to show that I can be responsible with credit. I have not had any issues, am sure if I did you would be fair with customer service. With the holidays around the corner am sure we could use some credit increase.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2022

Merrick Bank has been very helpful in reaching out to me and offering helpful solutions to my personal needs. Customer service has been outstanding. Any questions that I have had have been answered to my satisfaction. I have not had any bad experiences using Merrick Bank.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2022

I am very happy with this card. My only complaint is a wish you didn’t change a yearly fee. I feel the interest rate should be enough. But other than that I have had no problems with the Merrill credit card.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2022

Merrick Bank credit card has really helped me build my credit and I use it on a regular basis. I am very pleased with Merrick Bank. I wasn't sure about getting another credit card but but I am glad I went ahead and got the Merrick Bank card.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2022

The worst experience I have ever had with you offshore customer service. I called in 6 different times in two days, waited 1 and 1/2 hours one call and hour and 45 minutes the second time for a manager to help because after four calls my pin was not fixed. My issue is still not fixed. Will pay off card and close account.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2022

I really enjoy the Merrick Master Card, the only thing I wished they would have left it as a Visa. Some places I go don’t take Master Card but it’s a great card to have. They treat you very well if you need assistance with something.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2022

I'm terrible with names, but the sweet lady that helped me was awesome! She had the sweetest voice, was so patient and zero attitude. She even went above and beyond to make sure that my card would arrive before the Holidays. She genuinely seemed to care, that's a quality that is hard to come by these days.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2022

So Far my experience with Merrick has been great from online to questions asked on the phone. I am very satisfied thus far. I have not had any issues with logging in or the website. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2022

On three occasions I decided to pay off credit card balance after I made the on time payments within the same month and all three times Merrick bank held the monies for 7-15 days even though they came from the same bank I make all payments with! They gave the excuse saying they occasionally do this because sometimes banks take back the money even after it has been cleared and removed from the account! They say it’s randomly done but it only happens when I make a second payment after I made the monthly payment on or ahead of due date!

I also got from one so called customer service rep “it shows a pattern” and when I asked what pattern ie “that I pay on time and zero the balance each month” the rep just kept using and stating the word “pattern” but could not elaborate or even give the reason why paying on time is considered a bad thing? I just did it for a fourth time and was told by three different reps three different dates when my available credit would reflect my payments! Today 06NOV22 is the second date told to me by an “advanced rep” and tomorrow was the first date given 07NOV22 but I highly doubt it as I will be calling Merrick in the morning and closing the account after confirming they have released the total payments to clear balance to zero!

It’s as if they are punishing me for keeping up on my payments and paying more then once a month! They want you to be late to charge you outrageous fees and fines and when you show them you are very capable of never going into the red and receive fees they hold your money as captive at their discretion as punishment! I contacted my bank and they say it’s next to impossible for them to “take back monies they have cleared if the monies were available in their system”. Would look for other credit cards if I were you as they also have failed in multiple months to report my perfect payment history to the credit bureau and made my score not increase due to perfect payments!!!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2022

I recently opened a credit card account with Merrick Bank. I was never informed that I would be sent a pin to use the first time. After that I would be allowed to set my own pin number. I called to get my pin set and the rep was very rude. She did not understand that I had not been told this. She also could not understand that a pin was not mailed to me. I ask her to set my pin after she verified it was me by asking numerous questions. I answered them all. She stated all she could do was send out my pin again. I should receive it in 7 - 10 days. She never offered any other options or tried to get a supervisor to help her to see if the issue could be resolved while I was on the phone. At this point I have already had my card for 4 weeks. I am not at all pleased with the customer service I received.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2022

I’m a new cardholder & so far my experience has been great. No issues at all so far… Also the app works great. Have not had any problems with the app so far also… Customer service is also good. Talked to them a few times in the experience was good..

Original review: Sept. 29, 2022

Never a problem with this card. They understand my credit needs and never any exorbitant fees or charges! Don't know what else you can say about a creditor that never pushes an unwelcome agenda. They continue to upgrade their services in all sorts of areas.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2022

This bank has given me a chance to rebuild my credit which I am very appreciate of the opportunity, and I will do everything possible to stay in good faith with this company. Thank you Merrick Bank. My family is in Ah Of me having a credit card but I tell them all about Merrick Bank how they gave me a chance, I advise them to do an application just try and see what happens.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2022

Customer service has always been prompt and easy to deal with and they are great about giving you timely credit line increases as long as you keep your bill current. The online account access and monitoring is also very easy to deal with.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

I have had no issues with this card. I like the app. I like to card. I don't like the great service. You're a tiny man. The only thing I would say is I would like to be considered to have my but my limit raised.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

I'm very happy with everything with Merrick Bank. It's fast and easy to get the card. The staff always knows their stuff on the 1st call. Again I'm very happy with staff there. I have not received any incentive for this review.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

I understand I have a few time return payment, but I have security deposit fee, thousand but even though I missed two or free payment they close my account. I think this is not acceptable. If possible, I would like to have this account reinstated.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

Low APR and great customer service. I would highly recommend if you’re looking for a great credit card company and looking to rebuild your credit. I have had my credit limit increased annually and the annual fee is very low.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

I want you to lower my interest rate and you won't. So I will be looking for a new card that has a better interest rate, plus by doing so they have 0% to start and you have nothing to offer me I guess.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

I would exclaim to them that it's great opportunity to establish or enhance their credit. Moreover it can also help with the ability to make it through the economic crunch we all can face at some point. I have been satisfied with the use of the service.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

I have had an account for years only had 1 or maybe 2 increase. I had a late payment in 2018 that's this on my report due to me getting less hours but things are much better now. My payment is on track. Card paid off. This no increase.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2022

My account was restricted for paying a balance in full over the credit limit. In addition I had to pay $15.00 to fax my bank account statements to get my card working and account. Yes I'm unhappy with the service and procedures of this company. I just like better service and at the least be restricted for a real reason and not for paying the card in full.

Merrick Bank Company Information