3.27/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Merrick Bank is a top 20-issuer of Visa® credit cards with nearly two million customers, specializing in helping customers establish, re-establish, or rebuild their credit. The Bank offers two types of lending products for this purpose, unsecured credit cards and secured credit cards. Additionally, Merrick Bank provides consumer financing for marine and recreational vehicles, and Merchant Services throughout the United States.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1560 Merrick Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

Made my first payment and upon making the payment was told funds would be available the next business day. Funds processed through my bank and cleared on Monday the 17th. Decided to use this card to go on vacation and it declined on my first attempt to buy gas on Saturday the 22nd around noon. I called customer service and asked what was going on and he said he would ask his supervisor but would not let me speak to the supervisor about the issue and that I needed to call back in 2 hours.

I waited 5 hours and called back to be told that the last representative I spoke to said I was told that I needed a bank statement showing it cleared my bank account. This never happened. The case is I paid the bill with my business account and they need to verify ownership of the account before they post the payment to the account by calling the bank and asking the bank to verify my ownership and that the correct amount of the payment had processed like with every other of my 4 credit card I have had to do this with. Instead the second representative decided to argue and tell me no he needed a bank statement copy front and back showing the payment cleared before they would release my payment as processed. Then refused to cancel the account or let me speak to a supervisor.

Problem 1: a bank statement will not be issued until the end of the month and most likely will be delayed because of it being December 31st. Problem 2: this will still not prove ownership of the account from a copy of the business bank statement and the bank will still have to be called. Advice: Deal with a different company that understands that the customer may have some insight about situations that they do not have experience dealing with and to respect their customers because without customers they do not have jobs. Very unprofessional and would not cancel the card either when I asked them to but instead continued feeding me a line about a bank statement. I do not feel comfortable with them viewing my business banking statement transaction left either to be quite frank. I eventually hung up because we were not getting anywhere.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Updated on 01/16/2019: I closed the credit card account with a 0 balance. On 1/16/2019 there was a 20.00 balance because of a "returned check". There should not have been activity. Complaint has been filed with the Better Business Bureau. This is the second occurrence of this issue.

Original Review: I paid off the statement balance and the day after the check cleared the account showed a 0 balance. They then tried to debit my savings account for 50.00 which was returned. Now they show a 20.00 balance on the card.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I have had a Visa credit card with Merrick Bank for several years. I would use it occasionally as a backup. I always paid on time and never had a problem until now. I went to their website online and found that my account had been closed. I called to ask why and was told it was because of no activity in 6 months and it could not be reversed. I am very unhappy about this because they never notified me of what they did. I'm glad I wasn't depending on this card. I will not do business with Merrick Bank again.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I called them to see about waiving the $4 a month annual fee and that I wasn't interest in paying them to use their card. They told me that there wasn't anything they could do. They are liars because every other card company can do something about except them. It was easy for them to lose my business over $4 a month, they didn't care. I would not get this care. Find someone else like Capital One or something.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I got a pre-approval today. Applied, got denied. Seems ridiculous I am pre-approved to just get denied. This is the 2nd time in two months they sent me a pre-approval. My credit hasn't changed for them to deny me. They need to stop sending me these stupid pre-approvals. All other cards I have gotten pre-approvals for have accepted and sent me cards, but this one is a joke!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Merrick Bank?

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Merrick Bank loves to send pre-approved credit card applications, then reject the applicant. Merrick Bank needs to get itself together. This bank is one of the worst in the USA for many reasons because it DOES NOT care about the consumer.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I just received in today's mail an offer for a "doubling of a limit" if I paid my account on time. It was an offer based on a pre-screen. I have had a wonderful experience with Capital One so I thought I would expand my options and apply for an additional card. I read many of the one-star ratings in addition to the 5-star ratings. I reviewed the company's website and bank ratings and determined that I should apply. Well, you guessed it. An immediate decline. I will get the information as to why in the mail next week. The pre-screen seems like a sham. So, beware.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

Thought I was good using this bank to help build up my credit. Well, found I was dead wrong!! I used my available credit. I mean most of it. Like a responsible person was never late. Yes, I spent too much. Thinking it was a good thing. I paid it off. Stuck the card in a drawer so I wouldn't be tempted to go crazy again. Because I knew I had paid it off even left an average on the account. I hadn't checked on it. Well in the months I hadn't used it apparently I was incurring fees. Not a lot. Just $4 a month. As I said never late. Paid off. Didn't know there were still fees. Well now 90 days in Seriously Delinquent hits my credit report. I'm at a loss. I've been on top of my bills, most are paid off, not sure where this is coming from. Pull my report. Sure enough it's Merrick. They reported it seriously delinquent for $23, not only that they closed the account.

So not only did they hit my credit rating. What if I had decided to use the account. You know how embarrassing it is to have your card declined! I understand that's practice but what about notice. I was never informed. They took all this negative action against me and yet not a notice. They talk about helping to helping your credit rating, being a better consumer. Maybe they should actually practice this. Sorry went on a rant. So I contacted Merrick to clear this up because really $23 compared to the $1000s I've had on credit. What happens. There is nothing they can do. Really?!! I can't pay the $23. Not even an option. How about clearing the report. You know the one that says Never Late balance paid but seriously delinquent. It's like I got penalized for paying off the card. Thanks for the experience. I will make sure to always avoid services like yours in the future.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

My experience with Merrick has been, unequivocally, outstanding in every regard. They are generous with clients who have, in their own words, maintained their account in an excellent manner! I appreciate their candor and the manner in which they treat their clients.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

No complaints. My experience with Merrick has been positive. I make payments by due date, usually more than minimum and have been rewarded with 2 increases in credit line. Merrick has been a good vehicle for repairing my damaged credit. I will continue to use their card.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I responded to their mailer, and found that there was no annual fee, and they would reward my on time payments with a credit increase. Yes, the interest rate is higher than most, but at a time when I needed to start rebuilding my credit, they sent me a card.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

High interest rate rip off. Merrick doesn't look at timely payments for an interest reduction. Pretty sad since some people only have to choose a high int card as a temporary means because of fraud that turned into bankruptcy.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I really enjoy the new look of Merrick Bank online. It’s easy to use and shows all of my relevant information upfront. The payments are quick and easy to make as well. Overall, a great card and a great user experience.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

Having the Merrick card has been excellent for us. As promised after 7 months they doubled our credit line. Since then in a total of 14 months we have had 2 more credit line increases, almost tripling our original credit line. Payments are posted same day as long as the payment is made before the close of business. Our statements are available online within a day or 2 of the close of month. The app is very easy to maneuver through.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

After 5 years of being an EXCELLENT CUSTOMER, NEVER a late fee, usually paid entire monthly balance and bringing my FICO from 500 to 707, Merrick Bank will NOT are negotiate the TERMS. I called today, 11/26/18, to ask to remove the monthly $4 fee and was told “NO, we NEVER are negotiate our terms”. So basically Merrick Bank has ZERO appreciation for GREAT CUSTOMERS! Don’t be sucked in by this bank. They’ll do NOTHING to help you once you’ve re-established your credit. Try something, ANYTHING else. An UnAppreciated LOYAL Merrick Customer.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I received a pre approve letter in the mail. Thought about it for a while, did some research. Since I had just purchased a car, I figured I could use another line of credit to try and boost my credit score. Applied and was decline. Question: Why send a preapproved letter and then declined it? SMDH!!!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I was sent a piece of mail saying I could rebuild my credit with their credit card and was pre-approved. I went online and filled out their application with the approval number and was then denied. Don't send me mail stating one thing for people trying to rebuild credit to just ding their credit and deny them. I feel the mail they send out is simply a scam. I mean why else would someone agree to their extremely high rates other than to rebuild credit. I will be letting everyone know about their shenanigans before applying.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I contacted Customer Service to tell them the webpage is not working, neither in Internet Explorer nor in Google Chrome Explorer. I contacted them 3 weeks ago with no results. The error I get is: A communication error occurred: "". The Web Server may be down, too busy, or experiencing other problems preventing it from responding to requests. You may wish to try again at a later time. Tech support information: tcp_error more. For assistance, contact your network support team." Until today November the 15th, 2018 no response has or solution has been given.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I am not a fan, Merrick. You got my information because my student loan was handed over to you and you have the audacity to mail me a terrible, scammy credit card with all sorts of self important wording on the envelope. I am already tens of thousands of dollars in debt to you, and you still want to extract more money from me. And on top of that, you don't even have the decency to set up a customer service email address. I do not have a phone because I am tens of thousands of dollars in debt to you, so instead I need to post on this website to complain. Not a fan Merrick, not a fan.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

These idiots don’t even know who they are loaning money to. Everyone should borrow money from them and not pay it back because they will bill somebody else. I know, they have turned me over to a collection agency and I never heard of them before.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

My experience with Merrick has been extremely positive. Their online payment system makes it super easy to pay my credit card and most important they are not intrusive like many other card services can be. Their customer service is helpful and they don’t outsource their care.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Not a bad card at all. Just make sure you make your payments on time and everything is ok. They always give you a credit increase after few months long as payments are on time... Definitely helped me raise my credit and gave me a chance at a credit card when no other card would approve me.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I have had a Merrick Bank credit card for over two years now. It started with a $700 credit limit when I first got it and I have had regular increases in my limits to now be up to $1900. The card is great. I can check my balances and make payments online and set up regular recurring payments so that I never get charged a late fee. I originally got the card when I had not so great credit. Since then not only have I had the regular credit increases, I’ve qualified to buy a house, and continued to use my card wisely.

My only complaint is the annual fee on the card. I paid the fee and fall as part of my balance when I first got the card in my first year. Now I get charged a fee every month as a partial payments towards my annual fee. In some ways it’s nice to spread out the annual fee, but I have also found out about people who have the same card and don’t pay any fee at all. I understand that my credit was not great when I first got the card but with all of the increases in my credit limit that I’ve gotten you would think that there would have been an offer to waive my annual fee by now.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I think it's a good card so far except for the activation fees are ridiculous but I think it would be hopefully a good card. It's been good to me so far and I think giving people 500 credit men taking part of that but these you should give him a little more credit.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I love my Merrick credit card. I have no complaints. I pay everything on time. And I have had zero issues with my card. Merrick raises my credit every few months because I always pay on time and I Love that! Thank you Merrick.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I have been a satisfied Merrick card holder since 2014. I have had nothing but positive experiences with the service I have received. Whenever I have a problem Customer service is always very courteous and helpful. They listen to my issue and are very helpful and committed to getting it resolved. I get fraud alerts whenever they suspect suspicious activity which gives me peace of mind. They also give periodic credit line increases which is also great. I would definitely recommend Merrick to anyone looking to open a credit card account.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

For years I used cash only and had no credit. I was fortunate to find Merrick Bank almost a decade ago. They have consistently served my needs while building my credit. I would highly recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

Merrick Bank extended credit to me during a time of need, I have been faithful in making payments toward my account, as a result I have been extended credit beyond the original allowance two additional times, this showed me that they have confidence in helping me to receive earned benefits. I am thankful for the way in which they are doing business.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

Merrick Bank was extremely instrumental in helping me to rebuild my credit following a divorce. With timely payments, often in excess of the minimum due, my credit line was consistently increased. They did NOT charge outrageous annual fees which I found was a condition of many other credit cards I received. I have always found their representatives to be friendly and helpful. My credit score steadily increased and I found it very convenient to be able to monitor my Transunion score right on the website. Overall my experience has been very positive. Rebuilding credit is a process that requires responsible account management and patience.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

So I had this card, got divorced and couldn't pay my credit card bills. Instead of filing bankruptcy I did credit counseling and paid them off thru them. Well that was over 8 years ago and recently I applied for a loan and got turned down because one of my accounts (Merrick is only 1 left on there) reported my account in debt consolidation. I have asked Experian to remove this account for the second time now and if it doesn't get removed next step will be Better Business Bureau. This is ridiculous. I paid my debt to them and they're going to flag my credit forever. Don't trust them. They charge to much interest anyway. I have excellent credit now however this is not the end until this gets resolved.

Merrick Bank Company Information