Call toll free
2.56/5
Based on 127 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

LendingTree is an online loan shopping marketplace where consumers can connect directly with lenders for all kinds of financial borrowing needs. LendingTree functions in a similar way to travel, hotel and other online comparison shopping sites by letting consumers compare multiple offers from an industry-wide network so they can find the best deal that is right for them. Loan types include mortgage loans, mortgage refinances, auto loans, personal loans, business loans, student refinances, credit cards and more.

1163 LendingTree Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

If you have a good or excellent credit rating (750+) Do Not Use Lending Tree for anything but research for the best Credit Card offers. Their Loan affiliates and other Lenders are rip-off artists offering extremely high interest rate loans with short terms of loan payback lengths. It had not been 2 hours since I hit the enter button when I was inundated with emails, texts and cell phone calls from lenders I had no intention of doing business with (with the high rates they were offering). I laughed.

What really got me is I'm sitting at my dining table trying to eat lunch and one company, Freedom Loan, called 4 times in 5 minutes on my home phone. I finally picked up the phone and told them I had no intention of doing business with anyone who couldn't stop dialing the phone repeatedly within minutes of hanging up the last attempted phone call. What a desperate joke. I will never use an online service like this again. I will do it the old fashioned way... with local businesses... with people... keyword... people. Customer service skills cannot be misinterpreted when facing your customer.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I am looking for a car loan. I am 43 raising a 12 and 11 yr. Old and need a car to take them to where they need to go, I live for my children. My children have places they want to go for school and without my ability to get them to these places they miss out. I don't think that is very fair for them to miss out. They deserve every opportunity I had as a child their age to make great grades and succeed.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I applied for a debt consolidation loan through LendingTree website. I got a pre-approval instantly. I then had to email them last 2 recent copies of my pay stub & previous year tax w2 form that they requested. Within 2 days I had the final approval & funds transferred to my bank. I think with so many negative comment reviews it’s because a lot of people don’t show they make enough money (debt to income ratios) to pay the loan back or they can’t provide the adequate documents requested. My only complaint would be they took $500 out of my loan proceeds (to cover administrative costs) which I didn’t think was fair since I’m paying very high interest rate which will generate over $3,000 in profit to their investors on my loan in 3 years but even so this loan term will help me see the light on some high balance credit cards that would have taken me 10 years to pay off & now it’s only 3 years on this loan.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I submitted my information to LendingTree with the sole purpose of finding out what might be available in the way of a refinancing of an auto loan, consolidation loan, etc. I had no intention of applying for anything, however, until after I had talked with a local banker that I know. However, one of the forms I submitted was apparently a request for credit, which I didn't realize until I received a notice from a company that I had been turned down. I called the company, and the representative with whom I spoke said that this happens quite frequently from people who have accounts with LendingTree; he suggested that I call them to see what they could do to resolve the problem. I did so; the representative was very accommodating by deleting the inquiry that I never meant to file as well as my account altogether.

However, she also said that she could "see why this might have been confusing," putting the blame completely on me for the mistake rather than acknowledging that their website might be confusing because of their design rather than my inability to understand what I am reading. Furthermore, it is too late to remove the inquiry that did get processed, which will now negatively affect my credit rating. I now regret ever giving LendingTree my information.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I can't believe this company hasn't been shut down by class action lawsuits by now. Just curious to see what it would tell me on a mortgage, clicked through the LendingTree website and signed up during break time at work. Within 15 seconds of my last click I get my first phone call from a lender. Within 24 hours they had my Verizon voicemail completely full. I'm blocking numbers left and right since I'm at work and can't deal with all the calls. I filled out a helpdesk request with them to remove me from their list. Since receiving their email saying they will put me on a block list, I've gotten 19 more calls, 5 more voicemails, and an email. They are constantly texting me too. This is abusive harassment. This company should shut down permanently.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LendingTree?

Original review: July 19, 2018

I did a quick Google search today for a calculator that could take my income and estimate the loan I could potentially receive for a house. I clicked on the Lending Tree link because it said it was free and would not impact my credit, and it was a familiar name. Creating an account was required, but it also asked for the last 4 of my social which should have been a HUGE red flag. The site had come across as benign so I ignored it. Maybe an hour later I started receiving tons of calls and a text from SeatGeek (no idea what that is). Suspicious, I logged into the account, clicked on "Loan Requests" and saw THERE WERE 4 REQUESTS FOR $117,000 IN HOME LOANS SENT OUT.

I looked up some reviews, and saw where some people with similar Lending Tree experiences had their credit scores go down by about 10-20 points because of hard inquiries done by lenders through Lending Tree. I called immediately and had them cancel the requests and close my account. From my experience calling in, and the reviews I read, what happened to me isn't uncommon. So I will steer anyone and everyone away from this company, and will be keeping an eye on my IDShield membership and credit score.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 17, 2018

I did a Google search to get average re-fi rates and LendingTree was a search result and presented a page to get average rates NOT to be contacted by mortgage lenders. They bait and switch you on the website so they can get your contact information and blast it out to 1000's of lenders who immediately start calling and emailing. I must have received 50 calls a day for 3 days. So I called and told them to block my number and they said they would but the calls kept coming. At night, on Saturdays, all the time. Very annoying. They get revenue by providing leads to mortgage lenders so they trick people into giving up their contact info. Sleazy operation.

Hi Brad,

We are very sorry for your experience. If you are still receiving unwanted calls, please email us at LendingTreeSocial@LendingTree.com and we will be sure you are added to the DNC list.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: July 16, 2018

Investing in LendingTree is a money in, no money out experience. They refuse to pay any of your principal out, even after it is freed up with the involved loans being repaid. They simply hold the money in a non-interest bearing account. Forget about ever receiving any of the supposed interest return, those funds never are released. I notified LendingTree over a year ago to close my account; so far not one cent has been paid to me, even though there are uninvested funds held by them. Calling is a joke; I waited over an hour with a constant recorded message saying everyone was on the phone; so it was never answered. I strongly recommend that on investment be placed with LendingTree under any circumstances unless you want the funds held effectively forever, so you never receive your principal back nor any of the supposed investment return on your principal.

Hi David,

Thank you for reaching out. While LendingTree helps match you with possible lenders, the loan and loan terms are based on the lender you chose. Were you matched with this lender through LendingTree? Please email us at LendingTreeSocial@LendingTree.com with more information.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: July 15, 2018

I applied with a personal loan with this company and was turned down, I have some late payments, and a lot of inquiries from searching for a lender to help me, credit scores are 640-612-621. I, like a lot of others have fallen into the installment loan trap and was just looking for a lender willing to take a chance on me and pay off those debts where I would have had just one payment a month. When searching for loans for people with poor credit this company is at the top of the Google search, but don't expect to be able to grab an apple from this tree. I wish that there was truly a lender out there that really caters to people with poor credit who are trying to get their lives back in order, this company was not that for me.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: July 10, 2018

I recently tried to write a review of Allied Mortgage who had 5 stars on Lending Tree. I explained that I am a veteran and my spouse is a minority and we were looking for a VA Loan to replace a 1st and 2nd mortgage on our main residence. After the hurricane last year our current loan holder is allowing us to refinance with them or go elsewhere. We were told my credit score was 610 and they needed a minimum of 630 to refinance with Allied. I have Experian and my credit score is 670 while my wife's is over 700. Now when that bridge is crossed we are told that our modification with my current lender is not from the hurricane, which it is. The process has taken 3 of 4 months and we just want everything done. When we tried to put this in a review with 2 stars for Allied, Lending Tree denied the review. Is this how Allied has a 5 star rating?

Hi Mark -

Thank you for reaching out and providing this feedback. Can you send us more information about your experience to LendingTreeSocial@LendingTree.com so we can take a look?

LendingTree

Original review: July 9, 2018

I have been treated fair. The people have been very nice and helpful to me. LendingTree has helped me get my life and credit better. I can't thank them enough. I will tell friends and family to go to Lending ???? for all their loans and help. Thank you.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Don't believe the screen that says "This won't affect your credit". I had my credit score open while my husband filled out the LendingTree inquiry and I watched it happen. He clicked "Submit" and my credit score went down immediately. I refuse to do business with anybody who is going to lie to me right off the bat!

Original review: June 21, 2018

I wish I would have read all these reviews before looking at the website. All I wanted was to check rates on refinancing of my car. Had no idea that this would result in having hard pulls on my credit. If they had somewhere on this form that my credit was going to be pulled and maybe many many times never would I have agreed. Shortly after I fill in the form I received an alert that my credit was pulled. Called lending tree immediately ask them to take my information down and the women assured me that I would only have "one" credit pull. Not the case another credit pull the next day appeared. This could totally ruin your credit. Now I spoke to a supervisor and was informed that all these hard pulls would be deleted except for one if I did not shop around for a car loan in 14 days - hopefully this manager is right. This is just wrong and totally unacceptable.

Original review: June 21, 2018

They promise to show you how much house you can afford by entering some information and without your explicit consent, they immediately sell your number and email address to many third-parties that begin to harass you constantly. If you fill out your "opt out" form, they will tell you that this harassment will stop in 72 hours, but it does not end. It never ends!

One of the companies even contacted me offering to help me figure out how to end the harassment as a tactic to get me to choose them over all of the others! So, it is clear to everyone involved that people are bound to fall into this trap unintentionally and then be harassed as a result. One of these companies has called me 8 times from 8 separate numbers in 3 days! I cannot block the numbers fast enough! This is harassment plain and simple and I am going to report it to law enforcement.

I understand that they do include some disclosures of their practice in some fine print somewhere on their website if you can even manage to find it. That might technically cover them against lawsuits, but it doesn't make it right. This company knows full well that they are misleading people, but they just don't care. My advice would be to stay away from this company and not use any of their services whatsoever. Hey LT, Inc! Please, just leave me alone!!!

Original review: June 13, 2018

If I could give Lending Tree zero stars I would. I have used Lending Tree before to determine what loans and rates I would qualify for as it promises to not have a hard inquiry or affect my credit. Well yesterday I decided to see what I would qualify in the form of an auto loan. I logged in and went through the normal process where it says it won't affect my credit and sure enough a lender pulled a hard inquiry. There is very fine print at the bottom of the confirmation to submit that states that the lenders may pull a hard inquiry. It is a VERY misleading business practice and I would advise staying away from them.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I had a very poor experience with LendingTree - I submitted some information online to view quotes that were gated by a form, and at the end of it I noticed in fine print that I had 'consented to contacted' by agents. Not only was this not true, there was no actual way to opt out of this - at least nothing that was made clear or easily accessible. Over the next few days, I was repeatedly called and texted by folks - sometimes not even able to pick up before they'd hang up. A lot of these numbers were also hidden or marked as 'Scam likely'.

After reaching out via email to LendingTree to complain, and also submit a 'Do not call' option, I was not contacted back and continued to receive a number of phone calls, voicemails and texts. Reaching out again, I was assured that I was marked as 'Do not call' and asked to provide numbers that were still calling me. Even after submitting screenshots of the calls, I still continued to get phone calls. It is now Tuesday, and I submitted the form on the prior Thursday, and it's hard to recommend a company this shady or that has such little regard in a potential customer's information.

Hi Farhan,

We sincerely apologize for your experience. Please email us at LendingTreeSocial@LendingTree.com if you are still receiving unwanted calls. It can take a few days for it to be fully put in place, but we completely understand your frustration and will be happy to look into it ASAP.

Original review: June 11, 2018

Pretty cool, so far so good! Thanks for whoever invented this website!! It's very convenient and easily accessible on my phone. Hopefully I can get what I need out of this website, so far no lucky but I have poor credit so what can you say! Otherwise, still great website.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I’m very disappointed in the idea your business thinks it’s ok to e-mail loan approval and then there isn’t one and the whole time the process keeps dinging the credit score!! Not cool. Maybe the process should be a little more clear especially when we tapping credit scores with such a high impact and it says there are several lenders and mine seems to be being accessed by all and half of them I haven’t even authorized.

Hi Mindi,

Please email us at LendingTreeSocial@LendingTree.com with more information & details so we can look into this.

LT Social

Original review: June 7, 2018

Need help with moving expenses, which is hard for me to ask. And making sure my child is fed in the process. I have a job that's forcing me to chase down a paycheck since I've moved as well. This would help the start-up costs with moving into a new place as well.

Insufficient response received
Original review: June 3, 2018

Never got that far!!!??? I wanted information about the harp program and never got it. What must I do to get the information that I requested??? It is very stressful. It would be very good to put a telephone number on the form. Then people will be able to reach out to you and get information requested.

LendingTree response

Hi Maria - please email us at LendingTreeSocial@LendingTree.com and we can help.

Thanks,

Insufficient response received
Original review: May 31, 2018

Disappointed. Applied for a $5,000 loan to have my house painted. When the funds were deposited in my account, it was $300 short. Called to get an explanation. Was told there was a $300 original application fee that was on my original application. Called twice more to get a copy of my original application, so I could see it in black and white. I was told that they cannot do that. Also told that it was on the Truth in Lending Statement, which I didn't get until after the loan approval. That's kind of convenient. Total Scam!!!

Hi Donna,

Thank you for your feedback. While LendingTree helps match you with possible lenders, the lending and loan process is up to the individual lender you chose. Was this a lender you were matched with from our site? If so, please email us at LendingTreeSocial@LendingTree.com with more details and the company name so we can share this feedback.

Insufficient response received
Original review: May 29, 2018

Didn't get any fund offers beyond payday loans. I have a shipment waiting for me and cannot get the funds to obtain it and now it will be accruing interest on storage fees which will eventually consume the value of the shipment. Without this shipment I cannot start my business and continue to move forward. Starting over is such a bear.

Original review: May 27, 2018

I like how fast your pages download. I don't have to wait very long for a respond. Even if I don't get Loan you guys always redirect me to another available site and you guys don't have all those surveys other sites have. I also like the fact that your site doesn't have all those popups and advertisement asking to choose this and that before they can process anything.

Original review: May 17, 2018

Applying and have approval for a loan but can't seem to get to closing. I have the approval in my portal but AFMC is pre-selling my loan to Wells Fargo. I didn't know there would be 2 underwriting processes, so when the lender talks about selling your loan, know this is how it is, 2 sets of underwriters! Got approval on May 8th, but that doesn't mean we close. It means we move on to the next underwriter, yikes! Too many personnel changes too, including, 3 different loan processors.

Insufficient response received
Original review: May 16, 2018

I responded to a pre-qualified offer just to see what the rates might be. I decided to proceed based on an offer that was made stating the terms, rates, etc. I provided all the required documentation within hours of request. They state they fund within days of completing documentation. I heard nothing, so I called twice (hard to do since they bury phone numbers) and emailed several times with no response. Finally got through on a call and was told they had requested additional information -- which they never did. I supplied it immediately. Then got notice less than 12 hours later that they would not fund the loan. Very poor communication! Multiple hard inquiries on my credit! They do not stand behind their offers - so don't waste your time.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I applied for an auto refinance loan and was 1st pre-approved at 3% interest rate. I also applied for a business loan and was also pre-approved at around 10% interest. For refinance, I was 'pre-approved' at 3-5%. For the business loan, I was pre-approved at 6-9%. If nothing else please read the final paragraph because that was the most horrible part of the experience. I have all the emails and phone records to confirm my experience but I am not certain if I am allowed to post those so for now, I wont. Before I go further, let me save you some time. Go directly to a bank, credit union or whatever and do the work yourself. You'll save your credit score reduction by at least 15 points.

Literally dozens and dozens of b-list loan brokers each called me 3-5x per day and to boot, I'd say 3-5 calls per hour from 8 am-8 pm. The countless emails were more intense... By the way, you're not really 'approved.' You have to go through an entire new process sharing personal and financial information with whichever loan brokerage company you want to submit an app. Then again, fill out complete applications for each lender. For me on the auto refinance, there was only 1 legitimate loan company. The rest with names like "loans r us' and so on

So the "real" loan approval after days of figuring out who's legit and who's not, ends up being different. For example, my auto loan refinance ended up at 11% (with a 700+ credit score) not 3% as originally offered with the bogus 'pre-approval'. The business loan was officially "approved" at, are you ready? At 39%. not 3.9% but thirty nine percent! The loan term was for 12 months. This is the worst part... LendingTree claims there are only 'soft pulls' on your credit. Second, I only applied with one loan company (the real one). Because of the inquiry through LendingTree, my credit score dropped over 20% in 2 weeks. And I ended up turning down the loans. Do not fall for this con.

Original review: May 13, 2018

I really enjoyed. The site is was fast and easy... and I havent found anything like it. I'm trying to get home for me and my daughter to be with family and friends and I would like to use the funds for car and gas expense and moving cost. Thank you.

Original review: May 12, 2018

Wow LendingTree is great. My experience was powerful and enlightening. I realized how great and easy it is to be able to get a loan with lendingtree. I can't wait to move into my new apartment with my great dogs. My fiance and I are very grateful for the opportunity to receive this help.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I just recently applied for a personal loan with LendingTree. They seem to be a good financial avenue for people like me with less than perfect credit score a second chance. I currently have poor credit score. Not really bad credit but has room for improvement. And mainly just pay my bills on time. A few months of monthly payments should strengthen my credit score for the good. I applied for a couple credit cards for bad credit with a ranking of.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I really need this loan to be able to help me get back in school and pay for books. Please and thank you! If given the opportunity I believe I can strive for excellence in my career. Conditions permitting. Which is why I turned to LendingTree for a fresh start if you will.

LendingTree expert review by Michele Lerner

This online broker allows consumers and businesses to request and compare customized loan offers from a network of more than 350 lenders, banks and credit partners. The company's lender network offers a wide range of financial products including mortgages.

• Simple online application: The online application allows potential borrowers to submit a single request that is sent to multiple lenders for evaluation. It is simple to complete and does not require any detailed financial information.

• Instant quotes: Qualified applicants receive personalized loan offers in minutes. All consumers can visit the website to see customized interest rates by filling out a short form that does not require any personal information.

• No credit score impact: Consumers can request quotes and evaluate their loan options without affecting their credit score.

• Free, no-obligation quotes: No-obligation quotes are free, and lenders do not require consumers to pay any upfront fees to guarantee loan offers. Interested consumers can compare quotes to find the best offer for their situation.

• Tools and resources: The website offers online tools and resources, including personal credit scores, to help consumers manage their finances and make informed financial decisions.

• Best for: individuals who want to compare loan offers from multiple lenders and those who want to learn more about the homebuying process.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner

Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

LendingTree Company Information

Charlotte
NC
www.lendingtree.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business