Consumer Reviews and Complaints

• 4 stars18%
  • 3 stars9%
  • 2 stars4%
  • 1 stars14%

LendingTree is an online loan shopping marketplace where consumers can connect directly with lenders for all kinds of financial borrowing needs. LendingTree functions in a similar way to travel, hotel and other online comparison shopping sites by letting consumers compare multiple offers from an industry-wide network so they can find the best deal that is right for them. Loan types include mortgage loans, mortgage refinances, auto loans, personal loans, business loans, student refinances, credit cards and more.

Hi Amber,

Thank you so much for your feedback! We are so happy to hear about your experience.

Thank you!

Alyssa

Original review: June 8, 2016

Their customer support was amazing. They answered all my questions to my satisfaction and made me feel very safe getting a loan through them. The application process was simple and easy. I was able to do it without any difficulty and I don't foresee anyone else having problems with it. The rates and terms were great. There was a variety of options and I was able to see what I was getting before being locked into a rate. The online tools available were very helpful and convenient. I did not run into any problems using them and they worked well for my needs.

Hi Connie,

We are so glad to hear you were able to find what you needed! Thank you for letting us know!

Alyssa

Original review: March 24, 2016

I needed a personal unsecured loan and had tried my bank but their rate was high and I was not fully approved for the amount I needed. Lending Tree immediately gave me options I would never have dreamed about! It was a great experience and I am happy with my decision.

Hi Robert,

We are so happy to hear this! Should you ever need anything in the future please feel free to reach out to me directly at Alyssa.Schaefer@lendingtree.com.

Thanks!

Alyssa

Original review: March 22, 2016

We had a great experience. LendingTree hooked us up with the best lender for our needs. Just closed our new loan and very happy!

The best customer service. Very helpful. Let me know every detail of the transaction. Nothing hidden. All out in the open. I'd definitely recommend. Fast, simple, and easy to say the least especially since I received so much help from the customer service representatives. They just made it that much more easy. Great rates and terms. Better than I was offered anywhere else and even better than I expected. Very easy to accept and better than any other type of loan I've ever received. The online tools made everything very simple, easy, and run smoothly. Made sure I had online support and made the application a breeze. The service online is must for other companies to follow.

Hi Ernest,

Was this a lender you were matched with through the LendingTree site? If so, please email me more details around which lender this is at LendingTreeSocial@LendingTree.com.

Alyssa

Original review: Aug. 19, 2016

I was treated very poorly yesterday, with a total lack of respect, by your operator. As I said in my other message the number of employees I work with 1200 not 25000 often ask about the status of my loan. I willing say look for another lender. This one is no good. Not respectful at all.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LendingTree?

The process was quick and simple. After the initial application I was contacted to verify my information by friendly and helpful staff. Upon completing I received regular updates as to the processing of my application. The funds were received within a few days of acceptance of my application. Everything went through with no hassle or unneeded forms or delays.

Hi Travis,

We sincerely apologize for this. Where did you submit a comment and receive no response? I want to pass this along to be sure it does not happen again.

The only product where hard credit pulls happen is with our auto loan. If you have experienced something else, please let me know so I can look into it.

Also, I will personally add you to the DNC list so the calls will stop. Please email me at LendingTreeSocial@LendingTree.com.

Alyssa

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

I signed up with LendingTree less than 24 hrs ago. Since then I have been inundated with phone calls – 25 at last count. They say they'll match you with 5 lenders, but I have been called by 13 different numbers. Only 2 of those have bothered to leave a message. Many of those who have called, have done so repeatedly – one of the callers has called at least 7 times! And this is in less than 24 hrs!! I would put myself on the DNC list but LendingTree doesn't even recognize my login information but yet they managed to distribute my info to everyone. I tried submitting a request to have my password reset – NOTHING! No response at all.

I tried submitting an comment to them regarding my troubles – again NOTHING! It appears all LendingTree is capable of doing is distributing our vital information to anyone it can. And if what I'm reading on this site is correct – their "partners" are doing unauthorized HARD CREDIT PULLS without our authorization – which is a violation of the law. LendingTree "terms of use" is even deceptive, and I quote "Please note that hard inquiry of credit will be performed by LendingTree or its network of [lenders] unless you authorize us to do so by submitting a completed loan request."

Even though it says as you’re entering your information to get lenders rates – that doing so WILL NOT affect your credit. LendingTree rep, who routinely responds to these posts, will point out that credit agency's ignore multiple inquiries if you obtain a loan. That still flies in the face of their assurance that your credit will not be affected. Everyone needs to be very aware of LendingTree’s deceptive business practices. Protect yourself and AVOID LENDINGTREE. For myself I'll be contacting these "lenders" myself, as well as the 3 big credit reporting agencies – in addition to my Congress person – to inform them of my experience with LendingTree.

I was recommended to use this site on my next car purchase. Overall, this seemed easy to navigate.

Cardinal Financial was great to work with and Quoc ** did an outstanding job of keeping me updated. They seemed to move the process along pretty well. The appraisal company and the title office were another story. Appraiser took forever to submit the appraisal and title company would not accept court documents that were sufficient in years passed. It will be determined later whether their nitpicking things will be worth the delay. Hats off to Quoc and his team.

Hi Glenn,

Thank you for reaching out. There are many different factors that lenders require in addition to credit score. Each lender has their own guidelines. I would be happy to look into this more, if you would like. Please email me at LendingTreeSocial@LendingTree.com. Thank you!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2016

How can someone with a 800 credit score not be able to find a lender on your network? This seems to me to be just another phishing scam, and will make me far less likely to do business with anyone who might be inclined to call me from your "network".

Customer support with this company was absolutely outstanding! By far one of the best. They work well with you to help you get what you need and at monthly payments you can afford. The application process was a lot easier than I intended. Of course there were questions and papers to be filled out but the overall process was quite easy and quick! The rates and terms are always one of the top things to keep in mind when going through this process. Theirs were easy to understand and not outrageously crazy. Their online tools were super easy to decipher. Easy to maneuver and find what you need when you need it. Lots of extras you wouldn't think you need, but actually do.

This was by far the easiest it has ever been for me to get a loan. The service people were great, the loan approved quickly and money in my bank account in just a couple days. I didn't have to do anything more than talk to them once. It just doesn't get any easier. For me it was just a great loan experience.

Insufficient response received

Hi Brenda,

Thank you for your feedback. We apologize you were not able to find what you needed. While LendingTree helps match you to possible lenders, the rates and loan details are all based upon the individual lenders' underwriting guidelines.

Alyssa

Original review: Aug. 16, 2016

Never can find a company willing to work with me. I been trying for over 2 years and it always the same answer... You can't help... Thank you for the time but please if you can't help then don't ask for all my information then to beer down... Again thank you for nothing.

Everything was simple and easy to understand, getting this loan helped me to consolidate some loans. I am very appreciative and would like to help Lending Tree with all of their help. Anyone needing money for whatever reason really needs to check into Lending Tree. It's easy, simple, and fast if you qualify, so don't wait to check them out. I'm glad I did!

I have no complaints. Everything went well very speedy. I got the money. I needed fast. The request was very easy to understand and I had no problem filling out the information on the computer. I would recommend it to people that need money fast. I will recommend this to my friends that may need a little extra money for bills or any emergencies that may come up.

The entire process from completing an application with Lending Tree to finding 2 matches willing to honor my loan request to completing the application process with Lending Club and them depositing the funds in my account took 4 days! I'm on my way to being debt free in 2 1/2 years!

Received a quote immediately on a weekend and the interest rate beat my credit union's rate by 4 points. Received the money in my account within 72 hours. Simple, easy and efficient. Great experience. Would recommend LendingTree to all. Before you go with your local bank or credit union, get a quote from LendingTree. Compare and save. That's what I did.

Hi John,

Thank you for your feedback. While LendingTree helps match you to possible lenders, the loan process and details are up to each individual lender. However, it is very important to us that you have a good experience from start to finish. Please email me with more details at LendingTreeSocial@LendingTree.com and I will pass this feedback on.

Alyssa

Original review: Aug. 10, 2016

Through Lending Tree I got connected with Consumer Direct Mortgage. They are a joke and very unprofessional. Stay away. The senior loan officers are great salespersons and get you committed. Beyond that beware. The processor expects you to do all of the leg work. You end up working with several individuals which seem to bring no added value just someone else to be handed off to. Then there is the cash out. I didn't get my money when promised although it was supposedly wired to my bank. BEWARE. STAY AWAY!!!

We are getting ready to move into a new place. Need money for a deposit and moving expense. We are ready right now. We have to wait 30 days to get a $3,000 deposit back. So we have to run a truck and hire labor to be able to move into a house instead of a town home where we live now. My wife wants a yard. Thanks so much.

I needed help getting an apartment. You guys helped me find what I needed financially to get my new place and to furnish it and food and electric. I am a veteran and my debt to income ratio is low. Thank you for your service. And for your consideration.

Lending Tree helped me fulfill my business dreams and supported me along the way. I couldn't have done it without their help and great service. The application process was easy and clear. Their customer support team walked me through it and helped me obtain the documents I needed. The rates are reasonable and I was able to manage my business while paying off this loan. The terms were fair and reasonable. Yay for Lending Tree. Online tools are user friendly and easy to navigate. The web design is attractive and easy to read. The site is part of my daily routine.

Very helpful and available. Truly solved my problem. I would not hesitate to use them again. Very friendly and prompt customer service. Exactly what I need. Hassle-free, very simple, and straightforward, and easy to apply, and I cannot think of a better experience. I'm looking forward to having to use this again. Their rates and terms were not necessarily the most optimal on the market however with the conjunction customer service and it's applicable to me, probably best choice. Online tools are incredibly important especially application. Very consistent easy to use and incredibly important to have and to be able to access whenever you need them.

Insufficient response received

Hi Beverly,

Thank you for reaching out. Was this experience through a lender that you were matched with on our site? At LendingTree, we help match you to possible lenders, however the loan details are handled and decided by the individual lenders. Should you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to me at LendingTreeSocial@LendingTree.com.

Alyssa

Original review: Aug. 5, 2016

Representative was informative and helpful. All went well. I had given my cell phone number on my application and that is the only number I can be reached on. What I didn't like was that the representative called the land line she found in my credit files. I did not give this number because this is my ex-husband's number. The rep left a message there so he got it. Now he knows that I applied for a loan. This is none of his business. That was the only upsetting part of the process.

The customer support was excellent and provided all of the information I requested. The application process took a bit longer than expected but was worth it. The rates and terms were very responsible and it worked out great for me and my partner when we really needed it for our business.

First time with Lending Tree. Keep seeing Lending Tree ads on the television and decided to try them. I will be able give a better review after talking and working with Lending Tree. Now having to write or type at least 50 words is annoying. Other than that, everything else was okay.

Hi Curt,

Thanks for reaching out! What email address did you send your request to? I will be sure somebody receives it. Please email me this information at LendingTreeSocial@LendingTree.com.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2016

I have not heard from Lending Tree yet on my request for some information on a reverse mortgage. I just sent the Lending Tree an email about 5 minutes ago, I am not currently interested in any offers other than from the Lending Tree. I have heard that they are the best at the reverse mortgage.

Hi Charles,

Thank you for reaching out. Was the application process for LendingTree or the lender you chose from our site? While LendingTree helps match you to possible lenders, the final rates and loan details are up to each individual lender. However, I would like to hear more about your experience and thoughts on ways we can improve. Feel free to reach out to me at LendingTreeSocial@LendingTree.com.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2016

It's ok. It takes a while to get anywhere but when you do they try their best to help you. I've seen worse in my life. Wasn't as bad as some other customer services I've dealt with. They are very long and tedious. I wouldn't wanna fill out the paperwork again. One of the worst application processes I've ever done in my life. The interest rates are very bad. It's a grueling process but in the end it's definitely worth it. Hard work will pay off and I would do it again. They're one of the better aspects of this and it's well put together. I'd recommend it. Very easy to navigate and very easy to understand. Best I've seen.

Hi Greg,

Thank you for reaching out. Only our auto product involves a hard credit pull, however when loan shopping credit bureaus count multiple credit inquiries given within a typical loan shopping period as just one single inquiry that won’t damage your credit score. We are continuously working to improve our customer experience so greatly appreciate your feedback. Please email me at LendingTreeSocial@LendingTree.com if you have any other questions or concerns.

Alyssa

Original review: Aug. 2, 2016

I thought this site was just giving me pre-approvals. Instead, they give your information out to creditors to do hard inquiries. Never once through the process did they provide a very clear statement saying they were going to do this. Apparently, after talking to one of the lenders, it is somewhere in fine print. The way they have this set up is extremely deceptive and shouldn't be legally allowed. Permitting a hard inquiry should be clear, not hidden. I should be able to decide what lender can do a hard inquiry and click a separate box permitting each one of them. I am very upset with this company and will do my best to try to get something legally changed about this. I would tell everyone to stay away from them until they change their application process so that it lets you know exactly what you are getting into instead of creating an interface that seems like it is nonintrusive but has big impacts hidden in fine print.

Hi Joan,

Thank you for reaching out! Are the email address & phone number provided here the ones you used to sign up? If not, please email me at LendingTreeSocial@LendingTree.com with the correct one and I will have you added to our DNC list.

Alyssa

Original review: Aug. 1, 2016

Please stop my request for people to contact me. I do not want anyone else to call me. I am not ready to do any refinancing at this time. We don't need any quotes and want to cancel the request to have lenders contacting us at our number or email as well.

Pretty easy process, though it was killer to wait for a few days. No problems, though. Thanks. I was having a hard time with the accumulation of different interest rates I had. I didn't get my first choice, but you guys came through great. I really like that you can choose your payoff length and amount.

Expert Review

Michele LernerMortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.    More about Michele→

LendingTree is an online broker that allows personal and business consumers to request and compare customized loan offers from a network of more than 350 lenders, banks and credit partners. The company's lender network offers a wide range of financial products such as personal loans, business loans, auto loans, student loans, home loans, credit cards, refinance loans and more. LendingTree has won the Best in Industry award in the Financial Services: Website category at the 2013 New Media Award's Web Awards Competition.

• Simple online application: LendingTree requires consumers to complete a single online application form that is sent to multiple lenders for evaluation.
  • Instant quotes: Qualified applicants receive personalized loan offers in minutes.
  • No footprint: Consumers can request quotes and evaluate their loan options without affecting their credit score.
  • Free, no-obligation quotes: LendingTree provides free, no-obligation quotes and lenders do not require consumers to pay any upfront fees to guarantee or insure loan offers.
  • Tools and resources: LendingTree offers online tools and resources to help consumers manage their finances and make informed financial decisions.
  • Best for Individuals looking to start a business, refinance debt, fund an expensive life event or pay for unexpected expenses.

Lending Tree Company Profile