Call toll free
2.03/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

LendingTree is an online loan shopping marketplace where consumers can connect directly with lenders for all kinds of financial borrowing needs. LendingTree functions in a similar way to travel, hotel and other online comparison shopping sites by letting consumers compare multiple offers from an industry-wide network so they can find the best deal that is right for them. Loan types include mortgage loans, mortgage refinances, auto loans, personal loans, business loans, student refinances, credit cards and more.

LendingTree Video
View More View More

1208 LendingTree Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I bought my first home thanks to LendingTree app and I'm grateful. It helps me keep my credit good and it gives me info on my finances and what's available to me like personal loans, and credit cards, and financial tips so that I can prosper. I love it.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I entered in all my personal information to see a mortgage quote, thinking that I'd have a diverse set of decent mortgage rates. Instead, after completing the application they were in NO WAY competitive on rates and had a terrible selection of products offered (no ARMS, I/O, only 30 yr fixed). My contact information was then given to a number of banks, who bombarded me with robocalls and emails. Their service really isn't worth the time or hassle, I'd go to your local banker and see their offerings instead.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I was interested in seeing what rates I would qualify for under a home equity loan. LendingTree says that after you submit your basic information, they will let you see your rates. However, after clicking submit, the beast awakens! I have received 12 calls, leaving 5 voice messages, from a number of lending companies trying to get my business. I was using LendingTree in hopes of NOT having to chat with a ton of salespeople until after I had a chance to do some basic review of my options. This deluge of calls is so crazy disrespectful of our time!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

This company is fraud. It’s all a scam just to get your account info. DO NOT take a chance with them, they are the kind of people who make it seem like they want to help you but in reality they want your account info and once they get the info they want they stop answering your calls, won’t call you back. It’s all a scam. Don’t believe anything this company tells you and don’t make the same mistake the rest of the people did who tried this company. If you need a loan go to a bank. Don’t waste your time with these thieves. All they are is fraud.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

LendingTree says that you can check to see if you qualify for loans and it will not impact your credit. Lo and behold, I got an alert from one of the credit services I use indicating that a hard pull was made on my report from First Invst Svc/first out of Houston, TX and I have no idea who they are or why they are pulling my credit report when LendingTree said there would be no impact. Be aware that they just flat out lied and/or they have no controls in place to ensure this doesn't happen. Bad. Would not recommend.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LendingTree?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

LendingTree has been very very helpful to me, and I know to other people. They will help you in any way they can, this is one company I would do business with anytime. Thank you, for keeping in touch all the time and anytime. I am very pleased to have you in my corner. Keep staying in touch with me and in the future.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I have opened an account with LendingTree. This just shows me the rate incorrect. Suggested me two different bank for mortgage and when I applied to them they offered higher rate so this doesn't make sense to apply LendingTree. Second this is LendingTree selling our information which we start receiving a lot of paper from all over. So LendingTree waste of time. Does not give any service beside selling your information making extra money. Okay friends take suggestion not headache.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

Thieves, scammers, and not even part of the BBB. Loan will cost you money to get, TRUE LOANS are "apply, and receive". Any form of payment for the loan first is fraudulent, so people don't trust online loans. They will steal your identity, mess up your credit. Just friendly advice, thanks and good luck to anyone who wants a loan.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I have been curious about home loans and wanted information about the typical financing options for people with similar salaries as me. When setting up my profile I indicated that I did NOT want to be in contact with any lenders. Sure enough, I received immediate phone calls after submitting my information and five emails. All within minutes. I requested privacy and was immediately overwhelmed and disgruntled. How dare LendingTree go so blatantly against their word. NEVER trust a company that tells you they will do one thing and then does the exact opposite. I hope you see this review before you make the same mistake I did.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I decided to try and rebuild my credit, after having rid myself of credit cards for the past year. After filling out an online application, I was unable to secure a single line of credit, even for the most minimal of amounts. If I specified that I wanted a card or a line of credit for less than $1000, I was pointed to lenders who would require a minimum of $1500-$2000 line of credit requested. After becoming increasingly frustrated, I followed one of the links on the Lending Tree website to another site that was the same business of aggregating lenders. After trying again to find a credit card or line of credit, I decided to give up and just go shopping elsewhere.

The following day, I received numerous calls, all right in a row, from Lending Tree. All went voicemail, as Google and T-Mobile have their numbers marked as spam. The messages left were from LT, but contained wording and mannerisms which are contrary to what one would expect from a reputable company. I never returned their call.

A day later, I was bombarded with 56 emails, all of which seem to come from the same server, but from different websites and masked email accounts. All of them were of the typical FedEx scams, meet for sex, visit my webcam, or notifications that I won a fabulous prize. I never had this kind of spam volume before in my life, until after visiting LT and their partner sites. I would advise staying away from this company altogether, as they obviously don't Vet their partners very well. I would advise going to your bank and talking with a representative there as a first step in finding a loan or credit card.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I was trying to inquiry about rates, fees terms and conditions and as soon as I clicked submitted my phone explode with lots of people for different companies trying to get me in some type of loan. I honestly blocked all those calls and do not want to talk with anybody. I was looking into a online solution not to talk with a hustler. This people are just a marketing tool and they will send your contact information to multiple companies, not consultants or whatsoever. PLEASE BE AWARE.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

This morning I did an inquiry for a potential mortgage, thinking I might buy within a year thinking this would be an easy way to get preapproved, find out if there was anything negative that needed repaired etc. I am getting hundreds of calls from all kinds of lending providers, none of which are banks I have heard of, in the past hour, my phone has not stopped ringing and all of these places are asking for personal information over the phone. I am also getting credit alerts like crazy as various lenders are running my credit information, checking my score, all of which happened minutes after submitting an application with this one company. Definitely not helpful as my score lowered 10 points in just minutes due to the inquiries.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Auto loan: They send your information to other 5 banks and they run your credit 5 time. I don't recommend this company. Don't do if you care about your credit. Bad company. Don't like. Get your own bank. Don't used their service.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Thanks for your assistance. I really appreciate your staff taking the time out to help me in any way they can. I could use a little assistance from time to time especially on this topic. I do not know the ins and outs of this business. I also do not know how to go about fixing my credit. The only things on my credit report ate my federal student loans. I am currently an accounting student at Post University in Connecticut.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I filled out the form to compare mortgage loan rates. They seem to have provided my information to every mortgage lender in the country. The calls and emails won't stop. Some companies call 3 or 4 times a day. This is ridiculous.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

When entering phone numbers you have to backspace some numbers and reposition cursor to complete the Phone number. Usually the problem is with the area code of the phone number. You start keying the area code and the three numbers transpose themselves so the first number you want will probably end up in the middle instead of at the beginning.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

Fast and courteous. They was able to connect me with a lender to try for approval even though I wasn't given any offers to start with so hopefully I'll get approved for a car loan and pray for decent loan terms and finance rates. I'm also hoping that I will not have to pay a down payment for the car loan either.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

If I could give a zero rating I would. Do not use their pre-approval tool ever. They hard pull and it will make your credit score go down. Last night just to see what I would qualify for because I am giving my almost paid off car to my daughter I checked their pre-approval tool for car loans. Honestly, it was completely out of curiosity seeing how she isn’t taking the car until March of 2019. Well I woke up this morning to a notification from Experian that I had a credit update. Turns out my LendingTree pre-approval curiosity ended with a hard pull only from Roadloans.com. There were other companies also listed on the Preapproval. None of the other companies hard pulled. The pull just came from Roadloans.com.

When I left work today I called Roadloans.com to tell them to remove the tradeline. The first girl Samantha (loan specialist) that I talked to blamed LendingTree and told me I had to call them. Meanwhile, the line on my credit report clearly says Roadloans.com and NOT LendingTree. She also transferred me to her manager Marva (Senior Loan Specialist). Marva proceeds to tell me that people call them all the time with the same complaint I had. My thoughts: “yeah of course people call you all the time because it is an unethical thing to do and false advertising”. She offered up a phone number for their credit department on the east coast. They are in the central time zone. However, I am also on the east coast and of course their credit department was closed seeing how they work a normal 8 am to 5 pm like I do.

She also told me (single mom of two with no help) to take time out of my work day tomorrow to call and talk to the credit department that would only be open while I was at work. She transferred me over to her boss Danny ** (Department Manager) when she got tired of talking to me. At this point I am pulled over in a parking lot with pen and paper and NOT getting home to my kids after being gone all day at work. Danny did nada. All he could do was keep telling me what the disclosures said. I also asked him for the contact information of the person from his company that my lawyer would need. He was unable to provide it.

The blame kept being put in LendingTree by Roadloans.com even though they are the ones on my credit report, their practices clearly are unethical AND people keep complaining. The company is obviously not run very well either seeing how they lacked the knowledge of credit and all they could do was recite disclaimers. The customer service was terrible and I actually feel bad for people that have them as a lender.

After I got off the phone with Roadloans.com I called LendingTree. The women that answered the phone also proceeded to do nothing. Partially because the company listed on my credit report is not LendingTree. The hard pull came directly from Roadloans.com. The point of all of this is do not trust LendingTree for Preapproval. They will screw you over and not care for a second. All of this and damage to my credit is because I was curious. Clearly after the experience today LendingTree also supports the unethical practices of their third party vendors seeing how they could care less in regards to how Roadloans.com does business. I am not the first one this has happened to and I am sure unfortunately it will happen again to someone.

Please find other sites to get Pre-Approved for things. Examples: Directly through the lender/bank, Credit Karma (even though they do not give a real credit score. It is a vantage score), MyFico, Experian, NerdWallet and so on. All of those Preapproval sites are much safer and can be trusted by you the consumer to do right by you.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I visited LendingTree to receive and compare quotes from lenders. I gave them my email and phone number knowing I might be contacted but still expected to be able to view, compare, and select lenders on the site. Instead I received three calls within moments of entering my data. The information LendingTree gave me was limited and not enough to decide between lenders, they listed the best in each category but not how they compared to one another. My whole reason for using the LendingTree site was to gather information without having to speak to high pressure sales agents over the phone which I greatly dislike. I feel angry and misled. I should have educated myself about their service before I used it and been more careful in reading the fine print.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

LendingTree is awesome. You get your credit score free and they give you advice on how to better your credit as well as alerts on changes in your score to prevent fraudulent charges. Highly recommend to anyone trying to better themselves. I'll be passing this company down to all my family members, friends, and coworkers. To say the least this company's only goal is to help you improve your credit and above all they do it for free.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Read almost every other review on this site. Mine reads the same. Terrible. Spammed - endless calls. Called only one officer back. Insisted I was not ready to move forward with application yet, still inquiring. Welp, they went ahead and pulled my credit without authorization. NOT what it says when entering your SSN on the LendingTree website. It's LendingTree's responsibility to police these loan officers. Not the case... They don't seem to monitor the officers they send your way. Terrible. Never, ever again. Wish I'd paid attention to the reviews. 1 star doesn't lie!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Never borrowed money from this company. Because they never would let me and I really need it to catch up on some doctor bills and to get my 4 grandkids their Christmas. Nobody wants to give me a chance to let me borrow some money and trust me that I will pay it back. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

Three weeks ago I was doing some research about home equity loans and ended up on LendingTree to compare rates. I made the mistake of sharing my email and phone number, which was required to get the lender comparison results. Not even 2 minutes later, the calls and emails started. These were from 3rd party vendors that LendingTree had shared my info with. The first hour, I must have received 30 calls and about 20 emails, none of which I asked for or agreed to (unless I missed the LendingTree fine print of course).

Emails lasted for another two weeks after that, but they finally gave up. Calls are still coming through at the rate of 5-10 per day and night since I am also receiving those way past 10pm. I am blocking them as they stream in, and my number is on the national do-not-call list, but new numbers pop-up every day. This is absolutely not OK LendingTree and I would not advise anyone to use your system. I wish you were more honest and upfront about the consequences of running a search on your site. Finally, note that due to this very bad experience, I will not be doing business with any lender associated with your site.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I entered all the information related to my specific circumstance and the results were incompatible. The filters are useless - process was just a waste of time. Seems that the site is really designed to drive aggressive sales rather than competent match of need and provider.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

Like many of the reviews that I have now read about Lending Tree, I can only say that I wish I would have read about them prior to submitting my request for a mortgage loan. My opinion, like many others, a deceptive and misleading organization. All I can say after my experiences is: Never again, hard lesson learned and shame on Lending Tree. This experience has cost me money, wasted time and energy, multiple hard hits to my credit, and has now, in part, cost me my ability to acquire financing through a viable lending institution in my local area.

The lenders through Lending Tree that I experienced dealings with - nothing more than deceptive. Companies like this can only thrive and hurt people for so long before eventually the tables turn on them and enough complaints get filed against them. I myself, am going to pursue filing a complaint through the attorney general's office and any other agencies possible. Lending Tree: your business reputation is starting to take a big hit through the communications of the public and social media. Just a suggestion: you might want to rethink your company's strategic plan and start paying attention to the people you sabotage.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

So far my experience with this business is good. The process seems easy and simple and customer service is good. I've heard this bank Lending Tree has the best apr for Mobile homes and manufactured home. Hopefully everything gets approved and I begin my journey in finding and new home with this company! I'm super excited.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I had checked my Credit Karma which told me that I should apply for a loan to consolidate all my high interest debts on credit cards. Well I did. It was one of their companies they suggested. After finishing all of the application which was not supposed to go on my credit report I was pre-approved. A personal loan in the amount of $7,500. Next I get a call from LendingTree who asked me to verify security information over the phone which I did. Then they sent me to a man I think his name was Mark in the loan department who told me I would get an email whether this loan was approved or not within a day or two. Today I received another phone call asking me to verify the same thing - my Social and all these other things, address, phone number, Etc.

I told her to put me through to somebody to get me off of this list and withdraw from any future calls or loans offers. I also told them to cease and desist. Do not call my phone number ever again. He then tells me if I apply in the future I may not get the same rate. Very threatening and very sarcastic because I didn't go along with their tactics. I would never recommend this place and I told them that period and Credit Karma needs to stop telling people to apply for these loans and what is easy and what is not. As far as I'm concerned they have no idea what they're talking about either. I'll be getting rid of them also. If anybody calls you in the future and you don't want it make sure you tell them to cease and desist. Keep track of every call time and date and if they call you again Sue them.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

Rude caller. We decided to not use LendingTree. Kevin ** was rude and wouldn't take my word for it. Hung up on me. We want to use a bank we can be face to face with. That's all we ask. No offense to the company that called. We no longer want any affiliates of LendingTree to call us or mess with our credit score. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I was browsing rates. Within 30 seconds of entering my info emails, text messages, and phone calls flooded. I have called LendingTree 3 times to get them to stop. To which they said that I was removed from the call list and my information deleted, but to give it 24 to 48 hours to take full effect. 1 week later I am still receiving 5 phone calls per minute (no exaggeration). I am now paying for AT&T call blocker to somewhat help. I've reported them and still no help. I guess my next option is to get a whole new phone number and email. Words can't describe how bad this is. I wish someone would shut the LendingTree scam site down before it happens to others.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I was just trying to see what kind of mortgage loans and rates were available, just browsing. 5 Seconds after I entered my mobile number in their website I started getting phone calls. 10-20 phone calls within the next 15 minutes, all asking about my "loan application." Wow, they even say they "take your privacy seriously." They don't. Do NOT give them your number or any information, and honestly just stay away from LendingTree altogether, it's not worth it. Extremely shady.

LendingTree expert review by Michele Lerner

This online broker allows consumers and businesses to request and compare customized loan offers from a network of more than 350 lenders, banks and credit partners. The company's lender network offers a wide range of financial products including mortgages.

• Simple online application: The online application allows potential borrowers to submit a single request that is sent to multiple lenders for evaluation. It is simple to complete and does not require any detailed financial information.

• Instant quotes: Qualified applicants receive personalized loan offers in minutes. All consumers can visit the website to see customized interest rates by filling out a short form that does not require any personal information.

• No credit score impact: Consumers can request quotes and evaluate their loan options without affecting their credit score.

• Free, no-obligation quotes: No-obligation quotes are free, and lenders do not require consumers to pay any upfront fees to guarantee loan offers. Interested consumers can compare quotes to find the best offer for their situation.

• Tools and resources: The website offers online tools and resources, including personal credit scores, to help consumers manage their finances and make informed financial decisions.

• Best for: individuals who want to compare loan offers from multiple lenders and those who want to learn more about the homebuying process.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

LendingTree Company Information