2.75/5
Based on 171 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

LendingTree is an online loan shopping marketplace where consumers can connect directly with lenders for all kinds of financial borrowing needs. LendingTree functions in a similar way to travel, hotel and other online comparison shopping sites by letting consumers compare multiple offers from an industry-wide network so they can find the best deal that is right for them. Loan types include mortgage loans, mortgage refinances, auto loans, personal loans, business loans, student refinances, credit cards and more.

LendingTree Video
A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: April 23, 2018

1132 LendingTree Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 23, 2018

Checking rates for a loan the app was very helpful. It was very easy to use and had some very quick responses from other companies to help me with what I was interested in finding out about. Would use again if needed. Thanks for all the helpful and once again it was a very easy app to use.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 19, 2018

Very good loan. Helped me out a lot. Very fair process. Would recommend to friends. Fair interest rates and very fair terms on loans. No high interest rates like other places. Will definitely use in future when paid off. Very good business people and very professional. Would highly recommend.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Easy online process. Will highly recommend to anyone. I really like that the application is simple and easy. Not a hard process to get thru and very quick. They are good with answering any questions that I had. Got through everything in no time at all. Already told friends about this website.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 17, 2018

When I go on to a website promising to give instant comparative quotes from multiple lenders, that is exactly what I expect, to see multiple quotes after I enter all my info. What I got instead is NO quotes after I entered all my info and for the next 3 days getting never ending calls and emails from multiple lenders. Now, I don't know about others, but if I want to talk to a lender, I will call them, I don't need a website to put my name on their lead list. If I go to a website to get info, that means I DON'T want to talk to anyone and would like the website to provide the info I request. Call me weird but that is just how I am!

Hi Marty,

Thank you for reaching out and we sincerely apologize for your experience. If you are still receiving unwanted calls please email us at LendingTreeSocial@LendingTree.com and we can add you to our DNC list.

Insufficient response received
Original review: April 16, 2018

Wanted a loan to pay off all bills and start over with a clean slate and some extra money for emergencies and was turned down flat because no lender was willing to take a chance on me because of my credit rating! It's like that because of my illness and being in the hospital and giving a so called friend charge of my funds to pay my bills which didn't happen!!! Thanks.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LendingTree?

Original review: April 15, 2018

Excellent service for finding and recommending viable lending sources. Positive results for small, medium, and larger sized loans. Plus you get a free copy of your credit report with other relevant information and home improvement services. I ended up consolidating all of my high interest credit card loans into one convenient loan and lowered my payments significantly along with my payment. Thank you LendingTree!

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 14, 2018

So I applied at Lending Tree and one of their mortgage companies contacted me immediately. After discussing the situation with the mortgage agent they proceeded to tell me that I would have to finish some repairs on my home and that they would contact me in a couple months. Because I have no idea when I'll have this done they proceeded to call me twice a day everyday ever since that day even after I've asked them numerous times to stop. Then Lending Tree itself called. I explain to them what was going on and they proceeded to call me everyday at least once to twice a day.

Then they said there was other things that could have helped me with. Then they called and tried to sell me. I'm getting a loan to finish the house repairs then to apply for the loan which I proceeded to tell them I prefer not to just in case things didn't go through. I didn't want more financial bills piled on so I told them that I would contact them after I repaired the things at the home which they have proceeded to call me once to twice a day every day since then and try to sell me different products every time. It is starting to get very annoying. If you can't help me with the first thing what makes you think I'm going to buy another product from you and make it even more of a financial burden.

Hi Dave,

Thank you for reaching out. I would like to look into this further. Would you mind emailing us at LendingTreeSocial@LendingTree.com with any additional details?

LT Social

Original review: April 13, 2018

I have nothing but good things to say even though I haven't gotten a loan through them as of yet. But that's a good thing. So far they have opened my eyes on the how to build my credit and what it means. If I would have knew then what I know now.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 12, 2018

After filling out their required application, to find out the percentage rate, I changed my mind and X-out of the application without giving my social security number. and subsequently I have received 9 annoying telephone calls from different lenders... all because I wanted to check Interest Rates. Lending Tree is a terrible company and their telephone inquiries are very deceitful. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH LENDING TREE. That is how they get paid, by giving out your info to mortgage companies.

Hi Ernest,

We apologize for your experience! If you are still receiving unwanted calls please email us at LendingTreeSocial@LendingTree.com and we can add you to our DNC list.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: April 10, 2018

Log on to inquire about rates and get none stop emails, phone calls and text all wanting to get me to apply right then and there. Very unprofessional, no telling how many times my credit was run and waiting now to see when my identity get stolen.

Hi Donald,

Please email us at LendingTreeSocial@LendingTree.com and we can add you to our DNC list.

LT Social

Original review: April 5, 2018

Everything went good. The only thing is I hate it when you say pre approved and you're not. You put your information on too many times and free credit score is not free. I know my credit score. Why make me do this. FREE IS FREE. NOT 1.00. Am not putting card information. No way.

Insufficient response received
Original review: April 2, 2018

After giving out my private information, I was provided with loan offers from two different lenders. I expressed interest in one that was to be financed over 5 years the very next day, this miraculously was reduced to 3 years. This was with Upgrade. I said no and went after another. Initial offering was 5 years. The next day, when I went to finish the paperwork, it was 3 years. This was with LoanDepot. 2 lenders, terms reduced in one day. Stay with a reputable bank.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I was exploring the possibility of refinancing now that LIBOR is going crazy and LendingTree site came up so I entered info on their website in order to view current rates, and no I certainly did not give out my SS#! Instead of coming up with their current rates, I had a screen which stated something to the effect that they were inundated with requests for information and advised to try again at another time at which time I would have to enter all the info again! Incredible as no matter how many inquiries they had had, why could I not be linked to their standard rates and terms page, even if they had to show a disclaimer that rates are subject to change, etc? Following that message I had no intention of "trying again".

However, I immediately started to receive emails and a string of phone calls, some of which I Googled and found that they were from other loan companies. Many were robot recordings. I have since put all those numbers into an auto call reject phone app. Some of the numbers being from my local area code, looked legit but further investigation showed that they were spoofed and were coming from the other side of the Country. BEWARE!

Original review: March 28, 2018

Do not trust this company. They used my information to hand out to 3rd party lenders, sending it to different loan companies, that made a hard inquiry on my credit score, without prior authorization. I called LendingTree and they admitted that there would be no reason for them to do this as I did not authorize them to for auto loans and it shouldn't have happened.

Insufficient response received
Original review: March 27, 2018

Heard some remarks from other people about this company and how they helped when others would not. Most were very good. I can't speak right now or give my personal thought at this time. I would use this money for personal use at this time. I prefer that monies not have to paid in 1 lump sum.

Original review: March 6, 2018

I can't really say how the company performs but I can say their customer service isn't very good. I responded to a prequalified loan offer to get more information and to get two basic questions answered. The agent was unable to answer the questions and was more focused on trying to get me to apply. Why would I apply to a company that lacks the ability to answer my questions. I guess to them that is good customer service... To me, if service is poor before I even have an account with you, then that is an excellent reason not to do business.

Please do not insult reader with canned reply of how you value this review and are working hard to solve the issues and how important your customers are to you and all the other garbage that companies use to insult readers. If you want to do better, then do better. We as your customers shouldn't have to write lengthy reviews about service to get companies to address concerns, you say you are recording calls and all this for quality, then use it and improve.

Hi Shelton -

Thank you for your feedback. Would you mind emailing me at LendingTreeSocial@LendingTree.com with more details of your experience with our Customer Service team? I'd like to look into this.

A

Original review: March 6, 2018

You have been very helpful helping me understand how credit works and financing management. Looking forward to doing business with you. Being a senior and never having to deal with money management before because it was handled by others for me. Medical issues are better now and I'm taking care of past debts from my creditors. Now that I'm ambulatory again I'm in need of transportation.

Original review: March 5, 2018

Very sad to have trusted this company. They used my information erroneously, sending it to different loan companies, that made hard inquiries on my credit score, without a clear prior authorization. I cannot recommend them.

Original review: March 3, 2018

I feel they go the distance and then some for their customers. The staff are friendly and care for the needs of the customer. From my dealings with this company I felt very at ease and comfortable in a stressful situation. The list of lenders for your loan needs I think is the largest I can imagine. Would and do I recommend them for my search in a loan? NO!!! They would not be my second choice, but surely my FIRST for each and every time if I need a loan!! Any doubt about debt? Let these professional put your money worries at ease. They did for me!!

Original review: March 1, 2018

I wanted to find out just a little regarding current offers for loans. Immediately I was asked many personal questions as if I am actually applying for a loan but I just wanted information. I declined providing my SS number. The results came back saying I was denied because of a low credit score. How would they know this without consent to pull my credit or all of my info. I will be checking my Credit Karma to verify. By the way my credit score is not bad as I was just approved for a loan elsewhere. I would shy away from a company that requires so much information just to get a little information from them.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

Lending Tree and Lending Club work together with many small financing companies, I applied online and they ended up issuing two loans (I am saying they because one rep said they were the same and the other denied it) but both can see my account with my phone number, I assume if they are not the same, they are very close. My mistake was not to check my bank account on time and of course I set both loans in ignorance and in confusion, you fill out a form in a website and immediately a local company calls you and tells you they are calling in behalf of the site, they didn't tell me the other loan was moving forward. I would call it a scam. So since the loan was granted by a local company in the same day that contacted me through their website in their behalf, I did not pay attention to the other lending company's email.

They ended up charging me twice because their unorganized system can do that and you will end up paying their fees. Period. Never use their service online, your information is released and nobody cares about mistakes of who gets your info or who they send it to, I say that because nobody cared about my issue. I know their lack of good ethics will get them out of business sooner than later. Too bad people like me have to lose money in the process. At any rate I admitted my mistake and asked for help, but you guessed it, customer service is non-existent and all they care is about their greed. For the rest of their business life (hopefully short for the sake of the consumers) I will advise all and any person to never do deal with any of their affiliates. Hope you have a good day. The review star I added is because there is no option to remove it, but they do not deserve not even one star.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

AWFUL. Your personal information is hosed if you give it to LendingTree. Thought I was just checking a pre-qualified rate, next day 7-10 phone calls from various banks!! I feel like my ID is going to be stolen any minute. Can't wait to see my credit report. AVOID. AVOID. AVOID. Go directly to a bank instead.

Hi Dennis,

We apologize for your experience. If you are still receiving unwanted calls please email us at LendingTreeSocial@LendingTree.com and we can add you to our DNC list.

A

Original review: Feb. 20, 2018

There must have been 20 brokers call. All hours of the night and day. What a mistake. You can do better. Just look online for brokers or mortgage companies in your area. Get a couple to look at. Pay close attention to fees! Everybody has pretty much the same rates. Fees and points vary wildly. If you want incessant phone calls, contact LendingTree.

LendingTree response

Hi Gary - we apologize for your experience. If you are still receiving unwanted calls please email us at LendingTreeSocial@LendingTree.com and we can add you to our DNC list.

Alyssa

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

As far as I have seen I have had no problems with them. I have had no problems with them. I love them they have helped me no question asked even with bad credit. I recommend this company to everyone they are great. They really help out when you need it the money. Come going them and try them out. You will be happy you did.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

This site makes everything easy to understand and quick to fill out. Now I've just got to wait to get a result. Thank you. I am trying to get a loan for debt consolidation and this site is very easy. Hopefully it will be just as easily approved so that I can get things going in the right direction and turn my credit around.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

This is ludicrous! It cost roughly 50% of the loan value just to borrow the money and clearly the APR ON A PERSONAL LOAN SHOULD BE MUCH LOWER THAN THAT OF A CREDIT CARD. HERE THEY ARE HIGHER! I most certainly can do way better at my person credit union on my worst day. I would no never EVER consider these ridiculous offers. I would like to add that while my credit may not be 800 it certainly is not bad credit and the company needs to make a little money but do it on reasonable interest rates and I might would consider paying a 25$-35$ application fee if you will but not this!

Hi Chris,

Thank you for reaching out. While LendingTree helps match you with possible lenders, the loan details and offers are based on the individual lenders and their underwriting guidelines. Please feel free to reach out if you have any further questions or concerns.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

When I first went to the website & right away it had you answering some questions, I did not even put in my FULL Social Security number & never authorized ANYONE to hit my credit, after I was finished I thought LendingTree was going to send me something in the email BUT MY credit report was HIT with someplace I did not even know... I am disputing it as I want it off my report!!! Be careful out there!!!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

WOW! If you like to be hounded then this is the site for you! I have been working on rebuilding my credit and now have an excellent credit score. I logged onto their site to get options on lower credit card rates. That was 15 minutes ago. Since then I have had 5 phone calls and 7 emails sent to me! I don't recall asking to be contacted for any type of personal loan. I can't believe how quickly the piranhas have attacked! I am going back to Credit Karma and will never log onto this site again. This is ridiculous! Be forewarned. I should have read the reviews before I logged on as I am not surprised they have several reviews like this.

Hi Susan,

We are so sorry and sincerely apologize! If you are still receiving unwanted calls and emails please send us a note at LendingTreeSocial@LendingTree.com and we can add you to our DNC list!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

They sent me to get a password and I had two lenders then and when I returned there were none?? l don’t understand why they would leave. I really need this loan. It would help me out tremendously. I really need the loan. It would keep me out of a bind and I would be very grateful for this loan. I really don’t know what I’m going to do without it. Thank you for letting me speak my mind.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

This site is easily navigated and is very specific as to what information it needs. Once I got this far it basically grabbed me by the arm and walked me through step by step until I had satisfied their requirements. If you have not satisfied them it will keep bringing you back until the issue is resolved. I repeat, I am called back to the spot where I was before being called back to verify the information is correct.

LendingTree expert review by Michele Lerner

This online broker allows consumers and businesses to request and compare customized loan offers from a network of more than 350 lenders, banks and credit partners. The company's lender network offers a wide range of financial products including mortgages.

• Simple online application: The online application allows potential borrowers to submit a single request that is sent to multiple lenders for evaluation. It is simple to complete and does not require any detailed financial information.

• Instant quotes: Qualified applicants receive personalized loan offers in minutes. All consumers can visit the website to see customized interest rates by filling out a short form that does not require any personal information.

• No credit score impact: Consumers can request quotes and evaluate their loan options without affecting their credit score.

• Free, no-obligation quotes: No-obligation quotes are free, and lenders do not require consumers to pay any upfront fees to guarantee loan offers. Interested consumers can compare quotes to find the best offer for their situation.

• Tools and resources: The website offers online tools and resources, including personal credit scores, to help consumers manage their finances and make informed financial decisions.

• Best for: individuals who want to compare loan offers from multiple lenders and those who want to learn more about the homebuying process.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner

Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

LendingTree Company Information