Consumer Reviews and Complaints

• 4 stars20%
  • 3 stars10%
  • 2 stars3%
  • 1 stars14%

LendingTree is an online loan shopping marketplace where consumers can connect directly with lenders for all kinds of financial borrowing needs. LendingTree functions in a similar way to travel, hotel and other online comparison shopping sites by letting consumers compare multiple offers from an industry-wide network so they can find the best deal that is right for them. Loan types include mortgage loans, mortgage refinances, auto loans, personal loans, business loans, student refinances, credit cards and more.

Hi Amber,

Thank you so much for your feedback! We are so happy to hear about your experience.

Thank you!

Alyssa

Original review: June 8, 2016

Their customer support was amazing. They answered all my questions to my satisfaction and made me feel very safe getting a loan through them. The application process was simple and easy. I was able to do it without any difficulty and I don't foresee anyone else having problems with it. The rates and terms were great. There was a variety of options and I was able to see what I was getting before being locked into a rate. The online tools available were very helpful and convenient. I did not run into any problems using them and they worked well for my needs.

Hi Connie,

We are so glad to hear you were able to find what you needed! Thank you for letting us know!

Alyssa

Original review: March 24, 2016

I needed a personal unsecured loan and had tried my bank but their rate was high and I was not fully approved for the amount I needed. Lending Tree immediately gave me options I would never have dreamed about! It was a great experience and I am happy with my decision.

Hi Robert,

We are so happy to hear this! Should you ever need anything in the future please feel free to reach out to me directly at Alyssa.Schaefer@lendingtree.com.

Thanks!

Alyssa

Original review: March 22, 2016

We had a great experience. LendingTree hooked us up with the best lender for our needs. Just closed our new loan and very happy!

Trying to build my credit. So I can purchase a home for my family. I know my credit scores are low but just want to do better in life. Thank you for your time. I've been on my job for six years. Just hoping for a chance to I can be reliable and hope I can build trust.

I was happy with the service and the funds were applied at a decent speed! I would definitely suggest some friends to deal with Pave if they are looking to take out a small loan. If I ever need another one, without question I would go with this online option.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LendingTree?

Hi Joanne,

Thank you for reaching out - was this through a lender you were matched with on the LendingTree site? While we help match you to lenders, the loan details are all handled by the individual lenders. However, I would like to learn more so I can pass this feedback along. Please email me at LendingTreeSocial@LendingTree.com.

Alyssa

Original review: Sept. 23, 2016

Somehow, I missed disclosure about origination fees and when my loan was deposited, it was over $1000 short of what I requested. Despite this, my loan liability is for the full amount originally requested. The origination fee should be more prominently displayed, rather than buried in an arcane, tedious, long document. It would have helpful to see a footnote or asterisk next to/near the amount wishing to borrow that says "calculate your loan origination fee". I'm not blaming anyone other than myself, but in my defense it should be noted that I have previously taken many types of loans (payday, personal, installment, title, debt consolidation) from different lenders and, except for mortgage and car lenders, I have never faced an origination fee for a single one. It's no surprise I wasn't looking for it. I'm merely asking for a more front-end disclosure/warning that an origination fee would be charged.

I received a phone call from a lender in under 1 minute. I discussed options with a lender, sent in my paperwork and was approved within one hour. My personal contact at the lending institution was very friendly. My money was in the bank before the start of business the very next day.

Lending Tree made the process of securing a debt consolidation loan simple and pain-free. Everything was able to be done online, which meant that I was able to complete everything as my schedule would allow. Rates are in line with my local banks, but the Lending Tree process was much easier and the money was in my account within days of my first inquiry. I would definitely recommend Lending Tree.

Hi John,

Thank you for reaching out. While LendingTree helps match you to possible lenders, the final approval decision and loan details are up to each individual lenders' underwriting guidelines.

Alyssa

Original review: Sept. 18, 2016

Lending Tree has never helped me due to my low credit score and derogatory comments. But I have hired a company to help me clean my credit score and since almost all of my credit debtors are over 12 years old we should be able to clean it up quickly. Once my good credit is restored then I will be making the decisions on what lender to use. And I probably will reject all of those lenders that have rejected me.

Hi Jen,

Thank you for reaching out. Was your experience with a LendingTree support person or a lender you found through our site? I would love to learn more about your experience and how we can continue to improve.

Alyssa

Original review: Sept. 15, 2016

The customer support is fast in helping you with whatever problem you might have. They will keep trying to get your problem fixed before they hang up with you. It did take some time to fill out the application, but it did not ask a bunch of stupid question. And if you needed help with it there was someone to ask. The rates seemed reasonable to me for what I needed. And the terms was easy to understand and keep up with on what it was. Can say it was printed to where I could read it. I have not used the online tools much so cannot say a lot about how well they are. But what I have used was easy to use and understand.

Hi Wyatt,

Thank you for reaching out. We only share your information with up to 5 lenders, however I realize that can be overwhelming. Please email me at LendingTreeSocial@LendingTree.com with the phone number and email address you would like to be added to the DNC list and I will add you.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2016

If I would have realized that Lending Tree makes money off selling my personal info to mortgage firms, I would never have used their website. Ultimately I feel as if I posted all my info on the internet for everyone to see. After filling out my info on LT website (I left out my SSN#, and glad that I did). I was impressed that within minutes of requesting mortgage refi quotes I received a phone call from one of their loan agencies, followed by weeks of phone calls and follow ups from firm after firm.

After the calls died down, my email spam nearly quadrupled. First with loan refi spam, which eventual led to erectile and ** pill spam. Now I'm getting text messages from India on my phone about my credit cards that I don't have. I seriously doubt that LT gave my contact info to anyone in India, or anyone peddling pills online, but the timing of all this spam leads me to believe that someone that they sold my info to did. Just goes to show that once you put your information in any digital format it becomes public info.

Hi Sandra,

Thank you for your feedback. I see you only gave LendingTree a one star rating- what could we do to improve?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2016

Very nice people. They was very interested in me and was trying everything to help me be approved but I did not have enough experience. The application took me 30 mins to fill out. I'm not great at filling them out or else I could had it done sooner. I can read applications well - it's just the filling out is harder for me. They may be strict but they will work with you. I have 4 kids and no help so they worked a schedule out that works for me. I'm satisfied with this loan company. The online tools was very easy. It gives you a description on what each symbol, question, or picture. It is very explanatory. I recommend it to everyone.

LightStream was a pleasure to deal with, my loan approval was smooth and legal. But soon after I received several calls from America Lending Hub. They committed several fraudulent transactions on my banking account and they took $1400.00 misrepresenting a financial institution with false ID - scary dangerous experience. Their numbers 1-813 756-1345 and 850-702-2888 where the same man calls himself Benjamin, Maxwell, etc. with electronic voices accents. I do not know how they found my number. They leave no trace for a report with authorities. Their site appears as americalendinghub.com.

Customer support answered all my questions and made the process relatively easy. They were courteous and I had no problems with them. I would recommend this service. The application process was straightforward and did not take a lot time. It was easy to grapple with which I was most pleased. I did not have any problems. The rates and terms were as I expected. There were no any hidden fees or dead and expenses that I was not aware of. No problems in this area of the loan. The online tools made everything easy and sped up the time that it would have normally taken to receive a loan. I had no problems understanding or using the on line tools.

Insufficient response received

Hi James,

Thank you for reaching out. Were you matched with this lender through our site? If so, please email me with more information at LendingTreeSocial@LendingTree.com.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2016

Crappy loan verification and or completion. No loan yet. Runaround too. Then ask survey as though something on your end is done right? Hardly anything done. 2111access snub my application and processing of such as well. I am very dissatisfied with the red tape of trying to get approval for a loan verification and or completion.

Hello -

Thank you for providing this feedback. I have passed it along to our team to look into. Please feel free to email me at LendingTreeSocial@LendingTree.com with any additional information or concerns.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2016

I tried LendingTree to apply for a loan and it quickly gave me two lenders who did not want to quote and one who did offer me a loan I requested, the interest rate, monthly payment. But then when I called the company, they said they had no information on me, they never ran any quotes for me and then denied me a loan up front. It looked like a firm offer to me, not just like a "you are pre-approved" credit card offer you get in the mail. If the lender is going to take time to let it go through their system and decide to approve or deny you, then offer you the amount, interest rate and payment, then say, "Well we changed our minds, that is just a scam to get you on the phone and change the deal." I see no way to contact LendingTree on their site or a customer service number to notify them about Springfield Financial who did this, hit my credit report for inquiry and denied me even though they offered me the loan.

Had many dealings with regular and common questions about the loan application process and services pertinent to the business loan. Usually these were over the phone and/or email. The application process was pretty painless. Although there were the usual delays that we have come to expect when applying for a loan. But the team did a good job communicating these. Rates and terms were competitive. These were in the same ballpark as all the other lending institutions and I felt like the numbers were good for the time of the year. The tool was standard.

This is my first time so I hope to be happy with it. But everybody I talk to tell me they are really good so I pray and hope so so I can pass the word on. So far I been on here and every by been telling me bad thing about other loan place. So I hope to be happy with this one and I don't have to look no more.

I am very pleased with my experience with Lending Tree. The whole process was simple and easy to use and get funds quickly. The way loan processing should be. I will certainly go to them with other loans and/or refinancing in the future. Yes, I am a very happy customer.

Hi Kim,

Was this through a lender you were matched with on the LendingTree site? If so, please email us at LendingTreeSocial@LendingTree.com with further details or reach out directly to your lender. While LendingTree helps match you to possible lenders, the loan details are up to the individual lender you chose.

Alyssa

Original review: Sept. 8, 2016

I requested and was approved for a loan of $12,000. I only received $11,280.00. Where is the rest of the money? The direct deposit was only $11,280.00. Although the application process was easy, it took a little longer than expected and I am not happy that the amount deposited was incorrect.

Hi Patricia,

Thank you for reaching out. Please visit our site at www.lendingtree.com. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at LendingTreeSocial@LendingTree.com.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2016

I need a personal loan to buy a car and pay off our fines get my license. That way we could get a job and get ahead in life. All we want is to be able to live a normal life. We can pay if someone gives us a chance.

Hi Tiffany,

Thank you for your feedback. I would love to learn more about how you think we could create better options and make our site more user friendly. Please email me at LendingTreeSocial@LendingTree.com.

Thank you!

Original review: Sept. 7, 2016

The customer service was average. The application process was a bit unnerving, I really like a straight, stream line process, no hidden Agendas or questions, I like for the process to be simple, since the loan is mostly based on your credit. The online tools were average, I prefer to do all my business online if possible and avoid having to speak to customer service rep if I can, more options would be great, a bit more user friendly would have been great.

Hi Brandie,

Was your experience with a lender that you were matched with through the LendingTree site? If so, please email me with further details at LendingTreeSocial@LendingTree.com. Please include the name of the lender so we can reach out to be sure this does not happen again. While LendingTree helps match you to possible lenders, your full experience from start to finish is very important to us. Thank you for providing this feedback. Thank you, Alyssa

Original review: Sept. 6, 2016

They are very pushy and some of the representatives are beyond unprofessional and rude. One of them called me at work and when I said I had to go and would contact him later, he argued with me via email about whether I hung up on him. Literally there was an on-going email chain of me saying "I didn't hang up with you and that I would like to get the loan", with him replying "yes you did and I closed your application". I asked for his supervisor and he simply replied "why?" I asked again and he all of a sudden didn't have time to reply to my email.

Finally after I threatened to find out myself, he gave me his supervisor. The supervisor was wonderful! He was nice and professional, and he gave me someone else to deal with. So I completed the loan process after what seemed like a million emails. A change had to be made to the contract, part of which I was told I could just ignore... scary. I signed the contract as requested, but somehow they forgot to close the other contract so I received 2-3 emails all weekend asking me to sign a contract I had already signed. If it hadn't been an emergency and I really needed the loan, I would never have completed the process. Be warned. If you have other options, take them!

Hi Patricia,

Thank you for reaching out. Were you matched with Lending Club through LendingTree? LendingTree helps match you to possible lenders, but the loan details are handled by each individual lender. I would suggest reaching out to Lending Club with further questions.

Alyssa

Original review: Sept. 5, 2016

I was very disappointed with the payment scheduling with Lending Club. If it was outlined in documents before I guess I missed it. I think that it's really stupid that you will not take partial payments and if I make let's say a $1000 payment before the due date of the 29th it is considered a payment is not made and I still have to make a payment on the 29th because that's the due date. Also if I make a payment that is due on the 29th a day before on the 28th it is not considered a payment. Who does this? I have never had an account like this before.

The customer service was decent. I wouldn't say that it was exceptional or they went above and beyond however, the representatives always answer my questions and got me the information I needed. They were professional and knowledgeable. The application process was not a bad experience. It was fairly quick. It was straightforward as far as what I needed to bring in in order to get the loan. Overall, I'd say the application process was well done. They offered good monthly terms with a low interest-rate. I was very satisfied with the terms of the loan. They offered options regarding the length of the loan so I felt like there was some flexibility and I was able to accommodate my financial situation. I'm kind of old-school so I did not use very many of the online tools. It seems like they had a lot of options and online was well-designed. But I preferred to make phone calls to speak to someone although I did utilize paying online.

Hi Stephanie,

Thank you for reaching out. Was your experience with LendingTree or a lender you found on our network?

Alyssa

Original review: Sept. 4, 2016

They were all knowledgeable and helpful however told us we were not eligible at the time for a business loan due to school loans still out. They walked us through and talked to us about what was needed. It was kind of long but we went through it. In the end we weren't qualified. We went there. The rates and terms were agreeable. Had it not been for previous student loans which unfortunately affects your credit rating we would be fine. Lots of online help and information to fill out application and describe all the rates and terms. Can easily contact people and it tells you how to do that.

Customer support were friendly and easy to understand - very knowledgeable and were able to answer my questions or get me to the right person who could answer it. Application process was fairly easy. Standard questions were asked and everything was completed online which made the whole process quick and painless. The rate and terms are standard and very comparable to any large bank company that offer business loans. They competed with my current bank's rate and ended up being cheaper. The online tools were easily accessible and easy to use. It helped navigate you through the entire application process from start to finish.

Hi Stephine,

Thank you for reaching out. Was this a lender you were matched with through the LendingTree site? If so, please email me at LendingTreeSocial@LendingTree.com with more information so we can pass this along to the correct team.

Alyssa

Original review: Sept. 2, 2016

I'm a disabled Veteran. I was trying to start up my own business. They were very rude and disrespectful. And very short answered with every question that I asked. It was very complicated and long. Asking personal questions that had nothing to do with the application. Then I waited for a few weeks before I called just to find out they lost my application. I was very dissatisfied with the rates and terms. The rates were outrageous for the terms that they gave me. I would not have anybody go to them. I'll never refer anybody over to them. Online tools they had was very complicated to use. He had to have a degree in computer Sciences to figure out of work this stuff and half the time their server was down and you can't get anybody to talk to.

I had a very positive loan experience. The customer service was exceptional. I will recommend this institution to my friends and family. They were very timely in their response and the process was seamless less. The fund were deposited directly into my account and I did not have to upload any personal documents.

Friendly, down to earth, very outgoing staff. Was willing to go three-year mile to help me secure the funds I needed. Could not have chosen a better company. Simple, straightforward application process. No hidden agendas, very easy to fill out. Only required the necessary information for the loan. Was able to get the rate and term that fit my needs and my abilities. It was tailored to fit just my individual situation and I was also told can be altered if my circumstances changed. One of the best and easily understood apps out there I have ever used thus far, I believe. Even the unknowledgeable could still use with ease and if not they have a wizard to walk you through the steps.

Expert Review

Michele LernerMortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.    More about Michele→

LendingTree is an online broker that allows personal and business consumers to request and compare customized loan offers from a network of more than 350 lenders, banks and credit partners. The company's lender network offers a wide range of financial products such as personal loans, business loans, auto loans, student loans, home loans, credit cards, refinance loans and more. LendingTree has won the Best in Industry award in the Financial Services: Website category at the 2013 New Media Award's Web Awards Competition.

• Simple online application: LendingTree requires consumers to complete a single online application form that is sent to multiple lenders for evaluation.
  • Instant quotes: Qualified applicants receive personalized loan offers in minutes.
  • No footprint: Consumers can request quotes and evaluate their loan options without affecting their credit score.
  • Free, no-obligation quotes: LendingTree provides free, no-obligation quotes and lenders do not require consumers to pay any upfront fees to guarantee or insure loan offers.
  • Tools and resources: LendingTree offers online tools and resources to help consumers manage their finances and make informed financial decisions.
  • Best for Individuals looking to start a business, refinance debt, fund an expensive life event or pay for unexpected expenses.

Lending Tree Company Profile