4.0/5 (539 ratings)
Author picture
Written by Jessica Render
Edited by Justin Martino

About LendingTree

LendingTree is an online marketplace that helps connect you with various types of potential lenders. Whether you’re looking for a mortgage, an auto loan, a personal loan or another form of financing, you can answer a few questions on the LendingTree website to have the company put you in touch with the right match for you. The service is free and doesn’t affect your credit score, and it’s available nationwide.

Pros

• Free service
  • Comparing offers doesn’t affect credit
  • Large lender network

Cons

• You might not qualify for advertised rates
  • Could receive lender ads after signing up

Bottom Line

LendingTree is an online marketplace that matches you with qualified lenders. The service is free, and checking rates won’t affect your credit. You can browse mortgages, auto loans, personal loans and other financial products.

Top LendingTree Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

… The entire process went smooth and was quick. Eric followed up with me immediately when items were needed and walked me through the entire process. He was very professional and ...

Verified

I found the right mortgage lender using Lending Tree. I will go to them in the future before I search for a company on my own. Perfect place to shop, compare rates and speak to po...

What is LendingTree?

LendingTree is an online marketplace that connects you with its extensive lender network so you can find the right loan for your situation. Its partners offer home loans, personal loans, auto loans, business loans, debt relief, debt consolidation, credit cards, insurance plans, credit repair services and other financial products.

You can compare loans directly on LendingTree’s site or contact loan officers to negotiate rates. Some of its lenders can fund loans in as little as 48 hours. You can sign up for a free LendingTree account to check your credit score and get started.

The company also suggests ways to improve your credit and can help you find loans that beat your current rates if you’re already paying off a loan.

How does LendingTree work?

LendingTree can match you with several loan offers within just a few minutes. Its partners offer a variety of financial products, including:

• Mortgages
  • Debt consolidation
  • Debt relief
  • Credit cards
  • Credit repair

After answering a brief series of questions, you receive a list of lenders suited to your situation. Typically, you can apply with the lender immediately — but you can also simply compare rates if you’re not ready to move forward with a specific offer.

Make sure you have financial information ready when applying, including your income and a list of debts and assets. Each lender has its own borrower qualifications, so having a handle on your profile can help you easily compare the most realistic annual percentage rates (APRs) and loan terms.

LendingTree also offers helpful tools like calculators, informational resources and credit-checking services. If you’re planning to buy a home, for instance, the site’s multiple loan calculators show your mortgage options, advice on whether you should rent or buy and other relevant information for potential homebuyers.

LendingTree rates

LendingTree’s matching services are free, but APRs from its partners vary by lender, your financial profile, the product and your location. Be sure to compare offers to find the most favorable rates, terms and fees.

Interest rates can also change daily, so comparing offers is the best way to get an idea of the range you can expect to receive.

Typically the lender sets your rate based on your credit score (you can expect to get decent rates if your credit score is in the upper 600s or higher — if your score is around 620 or below, you may have difficulty qualifying at all, especially for a good rate).

LendingTree loan products

LendingTree FAQ

Does LendingTree hurt your credit?

LendingTree does a soft pull on your credit when you request loan offers on its website, which doesn’t affect your credit score. When you apply for a loan, however, the lender usually conducts a hard inquiry into your credit history. This typically lowers your credit score by several points, but making on-time payments on your new account can help bump your score back up.

Can you get a personal loan with a credit score of 550 from LendingTree?

LendingTree does offer loan options for borrowers with less-than-ideal credit, but you’re not likely to qualify for a lender’s best rates if your credit score is in the low 600s or below.

What credit bureau does LendingTree use?

LendingTree provides access to your VantageScore, which is a combination of your TransUnion, Experian and Equifax scores.

How long does it take to get money from LendingTree?

Some of LendingTree's partners offer fast application processing, which means you could qualify for funding within 48 hours of approval.

Is LendingTree legit?

LendingTree’s free loan comparison tools can save you a significant amount of time and effort as you research potential lenders. It offers a wide array of services and access to a large lender network.

Whether you need a mortgage, an auto loan, a personal loan to fund a large purchase or another form of financial assistance, LendingTree can help you quickly compare offers and find the best rates and terms for your situation.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LendingTree?

Original review: March 18, 2022

Omar was amazing to work with! He kept me in the loop about everything that was going on with the loan to refi my car. Could not have been a smoother transaction!! I would recommend to friends and family anytime!

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2021

I filled out a mortgage inquiry on Lending Tree and received phone calls almost immediately from lenders about my inquiry. The process was easy and put me in contact with the right lender based on my information. Arjun ** from First Commonwealth mortgage was one of the first lenders to reach out to me. He listened to me and started working on my application immediately and was able to close my loan as promised! He was readily available and on top of my application every step of the way. He made the entire process stress-free and really worked hard to get me a great loan and a great rate! I highly recommend him to anyone looking for a home loan!

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

Put my information in on their website to get an ONLINE quote… made the mistake of using my real number. NEVER AGAIN! My phone was hammered with calls in 5 minutes as soon as I hit submit. Obnoxious.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2021

Beware! The second you hit "submit" to get the quotes, your phone will blow up and you will get hundreds of calls, non-stop. I am still blocking numbers and had to turn off my phone for days. It still has not stopped. I had to tell all my clients to text me and I will call them back since I can't turn my phone back on. I refuse to do business with any of the Lending Tree lenders due to their overly aggressive phone calling.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2021

Checking loan rates aren't supposed to have any impact on your credit score. However the companies Lending Tree works with do hard inquiries. So you fill out an application with Lending Tree then get 3 - 6 different hard hits on your credit which lowers your score. Checking rate aren't supposed to trigger hard inquiries. You're better off going to an individual company like your bank or credit union first. Stay away from market places like this.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2021

They didn't even try to locate any possible lenders. Just said, "Nope. Your credit is horrible and we want you to pay us to fix it." Basically never even ran a report. I never entered my social security information so how would they even know what's on my report.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

Ever since I requested quotes from LendingTree, my phone has been called dozens of times a day. There is no way for me to make it stop and it is driving me nuts!! I'm pretty sure they sold my number to some list makers or something, as I'm now getting calls not just in regards to refinancing my mortgage, but also to buy my home. I would advise everyone to use a real broker and stay away from these guys, or use a burner phone you can throw away when you're done finding the lender you want to work with.

Original review: May 18, 2021

I just responded to an unsolicited pop-up from LendingTree. I was curious about the current refinance mortgage rates. After answering their questions and hitting "submit", my phone started blowing up, even before LendingTree responded with their 5 best offers. I did not see on LendingTree's page anywhere where they revealed that they would share my info, but I have probably, over the last three days, blocked over 100 phone numbers on my phone and I am still getting calls and emails. These calls are originating all over the United States. I am also getting text messages, asking when a "good time to have a convo about my mortgage needs". Beware. Avoid the LendingTree trap.

Original review: May 13, 2021

I was trying to document a negative experience with one of the lenders on LendingTree. However, when I post the review on their website, it gets rejected every time. I have followed the exact guidelines for posting reviews.

Original review: April 29, 2021

A reputable company, they do make it possible for more than one Lenders to give a quote for rates. But the calls can become extensive and bothersome. We ended up using a Lender not arranged by them. We did so because the Lender we chose was the most responsible and had the best rates and conditions of the mortgage companies.

LendingTree Company Information