Call toll free
2.23/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

LendingTree is an online loan shopping marketplace where consumers can connect directly with lenders for all kinds of financial borrowing needs. LendingTree functions in a similar way to travel, hotel and other online comparison shopping sites by letting consumers compare multiple offers from an industry-wide network so they can find the best deal that is right for them. Loan types include mortgage loans, mortgage refinances, auto loans, personal loans, business loans, student refinances, credit cards and more.

LendingTree Video
View More View More

1180 LendingTree Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I was browsing rates. Within 30 seconds of entering my info emails, text messages, and phone calls flooded. I have called LendingTree 3 times to get them to stop. To which they said that I was removed from the call list and my information deleted, but to give it 24 to 48 hours to take full effect. 1 week later I am still receiving 5 phone calls per minute (no exaggeration). I am now paying for AT&T call blocker to somewhat help. I've reported them and still no help. I guess my next option is to get a whole new phone number and email. Words can't describe how bad this is. I wish someone would shut the LendingTree scam site down before it happens to others.

Get expert buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I was just trying to see what kind of mortgage loans and rates were available, just browsing. 5 Seconds after I entered my mobile number in their website I started getting phone calls. 10-20 phone calls within the next 15 minutes, all asking about my "loan application." Wow, they even say they "take your privacy seriously." They don't. Do NOT give them your number or any information, and honestly just stay away from LendingTree altogether, it's not worth it. Extremely shady.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

High pressure tactics. Not a pleasant experience. Would not recommend to anyone. Badgering via phone. When I expressed I was no longer interested, I was very rudely badgered and pressured to explain my change of mind and that my actions of having filled out their online information speaks louder to my interest than me verbalizing no longer being interested. The caller behaved in a very unprofessional manner. Blocked their phone number and they called again from different number.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

They give out your info and the credit people pull multiple reports. They don’t give recommendations. They just give out info and I had 20 calls in about an hour.

Some pull reports correctly others don’t. I have had to contact credit agencies to remove inquiries. Legally if it is for a single item like mortgage, home equity, auto loan etc. only the final lender is supposed to remain. Not all of LendingTree's lenders correctly give the info. I wanted recommendations not harassing calls. Avoid them at all costs. I got my home equity outside their site. Better rate and local people. Will never use or recommend ever. Not even to my enemies.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

A few years ago I made the regretful mistake of going to LendingTree’s website and searched for a mortgage lender. Well that was the beginning of a nightmare of harassing phone calls constantly all day everyday even after 9PM! They were relentless! Even after telling them to stop calling they continued and then other mortgage lenders called and called. It was horrible! My credit score dropped tremendously after hard credit pull after pull! I finally got them to stop calling but it took months! Well a few days ago my wife didn’t remember my horrible experience with them and just went to the site put her name and number in and then she said “I don’t feel comfortable putting the last 4 of my social on the site” and I asked “which site?” She said “lending tree”. My heart sunk. I quickly said “Oh my god no do not give them any information because they are relentless vultures that will not leave you alone!”

She exited the site thinking we dodged the bullet. Nope! Within 10 minutes the relentless harassment started. Call after call after call after call! Will not stop! I’ve gotten on the phone and cussed people out! It’s after 9pm right now and a lender just called, she declined the first attempt but I answered on the second attempt thinking it might be someone else since it is after 9pm. Nope it was a lender. I told the lady to stop calling and remove this number from the call list and she proceeds to ignore what I said and starts to tell me about mortgage rates and asking questions so I had to be rude and tell her to, "Stop ** harassing us and remove us from the call list you ignorant harassing ** !" I hung up. I’m sure we’ll receive a bunch of calls tomorrow as well. Do not give them any information!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LendingTree?

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I knew LendingTree was a marketplace. I assumed they would give my information to a few screened and vetted lending agents. Wrong! They gave my phone number to dozens and dozens. I'm being harassed all hours of the day and night. If I just let the phone ring, some call my number every few minutes. They must be roto dialing. My advice is never, never give any information to LendingTree unless you want to be harassed for a very long time. I've learned my lesson.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

High pressure tactics. Not a pleasant experience. Would not recommend to anyone. Badgering via phone. Blocked their phone number and they called again from different number. I felt like was at an auto dealership.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I really did not have any major issues/problems with this company. If it came to it... I would really recommend this to all my family and friends. Hopefully... they will have the same easy-going experience as I did.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

The LendingTree website makes it seem as though it will provide you with a list of the most appropriate lenders for your needs. In reality, what the LendingTree does is give out your phone number to dozens and dozens of lenders, who then just want to call you several times a day at home. I would say we have been swamped over 150 phone messages within 10 days, with several of those lenders leaving 10 or more messages each. It's a ridiculous situation and goes to show that all the LendingTree really does is pass your contact information indiscriminately to as many lenders as possible. Bottom line: DON'T give the LendingTree your phone number, and instead, do your own research on various institution's interest rates and reputations.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

Too much on credit cards, mortgage company didn’t pay RE taxes until I received notice my property was going up for sheriff sale. I called mtg co and they tracked down taxes. A year later I received a $1,400+ bill stating I needed to pay for taxes or pay $535? Monthly payment. Of which I could not do either. I tried. They reduced my payment to $435. Just too much and I couldn’t do anything. I was way over extended. I did try to refinance but the answer was no. I have filed Bankruptcy.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I contacted LendingTree for a home equity line for home improvements. I had several people contact me in regards to this via email and they promised that they would not do a hard pull on my credit, they did. Not only that the rates were unbelievably high my credit is not bad and I should have gone to the bank to begin with. Now my phone is ringing off the hook. I have blocked over 200 calls in a week. Do not let them have your information!!!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

Went to the website and was given options of who would approve to refinance my auto loan. Followed up with a phone call, giving all personal information requested to complete the loan. I was told everything looked good. Never received a confirmation email or any follow up emails. Called The number I had received a call from to ask if I was approved or not. I was told "No, we cannot approve you." I asked why when the website offered an APR rate and monthly payment amount. I was told that’s a pre-approval not definite approval. I get pre-approvals all the time for car loans and credit cards and I GET the loan. I’m not denied after being pre-approved. Screw Lending Tree for misleading me as a consumer and doing a hard credit inquiry for nothing! Will not recommend.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

Their app states it will "NEVER affect your credit" and yet when I was playing around in it looking at various options it presented I got a notification from Experian they had just made a "hard pull" on my credit! I'm trying to improve my credit using the app, not destroy it! Consumer Affairs, please take note at the many others below who said the same thing. This is outright FRAUD. They say over and over they only do soft pulls. When I called them, they refused to do anything about this saying it's in the disclosure when I signed up for the app (almost a year ago!!) I never willingly agreed to a hard pull. They present this intentionally in a hidden manner that is NOT FAIR by FTCR or any other act. Please shut their ways down!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

They sold my information to external vendors which used the last 4 digits of my SSN to get my full SSN from Experian. In the process, it EXPLICITLY states that this will not be hard pull off your credit. WRONG! I have several inquires on my credit report. Beware of rateGenius, too!!!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

A scam-artist site. Register and get inundated with so-called "loan specialists" that are not even licensed or trained. Operating from their homes, they call to solicit business hoping to get a finders fee or worse, get your personal information. This is representative of the caller: "I would like to speak with you about a personal loan" (nope, I submitted application specifically about home equity). Caller tried to answer questions about home equity and could not, interrupted to put her "husband" on phone. A baby was crying in background... no answers... no info, just "I am sure we can help you get a personal loan." LendingTree is simply an umbrella with "associates" that have no knowledge of what one is seeking. Site ran like of a "dating site" with "cuties" trying to connect you with their pay for play webcam site.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I have been working on my credit for months. I visited LendingTree to see what my financing options are for an automobile. It clearly stated that only a soft pull would be performed. That is the only reason I gave them my information. Now they have sent my information to several lenders and I have had several hard pulls without my permission. I will looking into legal action. I did not authorize my information to be used to apply for a loan. This is identity theft.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I went through the LendingTree process that specifically states that it will not affect your credit score. I received two hard hits which lowered my TransUnion score. This is misleading and fraudulent. Now to control the spam in my email.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

If you have a good or excellent credit rating (750+) Do Not Use Lending Tree for anything but research for the best Credit Card offers. Their Loan affiliates and other Lenders are rip-off artists offering extremely high interest rate loans with short terms of loan payback lengths. It had not been 2 hours since I hit the enter button when I was inundated with emails, texts and cell phone calls from lenders I had no intention of doing business with (with the high rates they were offering). I laughed.

What really got me is I'm sitting at my dining table trying to eat lunch and one company, Freedom Loan, called 4 times in 5 minutes on my home phone. I finally picked up the phone and told them I had no intention of doing business with anyone who couldn't stop dialing the phone repeatedly within minutes of hanging up the last attempted phone call. What a desperate joke. I will never use an online service like this again. I will do it the old fashioned way... with local businesses... with people... keyword... people. Customer service skills cannot be misinterpreted when facing your customer.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

I am looking for a car loan. I am 43 raising a 12 and 11 yr. Old and need a car to take them to where they need to go, I live for my children. My children have places they want to go for school and without my ability to get them to these places they miss out. I don't think that is very fair for them to miss out. They deserve every opportunity I had as a child their age to make great grades and succeed.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I applied for a debt consolidation loan through LendingTree website. I got a pre-approval instantly. I then had to email them last 2 recent copies of my pay stub & previous year tax w2 form that they requested. Within 2 days I had the final approval & funds transferred to my bank. I think with so many negative comment reviews it’s because a lot of people don’t show they make enough money (debt to income ratios) to pay the loan back or they can’t provide the adequate documents requested. My only complaint would be they took $500 out of my loan proceeds (to cover administrative costs) which I didn’t think was fair since I’m paying very high interest rate which will generate over $3,000 in profit to their investors on my loan in 3 years but even so this loan term will help me see the light on some high balance credit cards that would have taken me 10 years to pay off & now it’s only 3 years on this loan.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I submitted my information to LendingTree with the sole purpose of finding out what might be available in the way of a refinancing of an auto loan, consolidation loan, etc. I had no intention of applying for anything, however, until after I had talked with a local banker that I know. However, one of the forms I submitted was apparently a request for credit, which I didn't realize until I received a notice from a company that I had been turned down. I called the company, and the representative with whom I spoke said that this happens quite frequently from people who have accounts with LendingTree; he suggested that I call them to see what they could do to resolve the problem. I did so; the representative was very accommodating by deleting the inquiry that I never meant to file as well as my account altogether.

However, she also said that she could "see why this might have been confusing," putting the blame completely on me for the mistake rather than acknowledging that their website might be confusing because of their design rather than my inability to understand what I am reading. Furthermore, it is too late to remove the inquiry that did get processed, which will now negatively affect my credit rating. I now regret ever giving LendingTree my information.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I can't believe this company hasn't been shut down by class action lawsuits by now. Just curious to see what it would tell me on a mortgage, clicked through the LendingTree website and signed up during break time at work. Within 15 seconds of my last click I get my first phone call from a lender. Within 24 hours they had my Verizon voicemail completely full. I'm blocking numbers left and right since I'm at work and can't deal with all the calls. I filled out a helpdesk request with them to remove me from their list. Since receiving their email saying they will put me on a block list, I've gotten 19 more calls, 5 more voicemails, and an email. They are constantly texting me too. This is abusive harassment. This company should shut down permanently.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I did a quick Google search today for a calculator that could take my income and estimate the loan I could potentially receive for a house. I clicked on the Lending Tree link because it said it was free and would not impact my credit, and it was a familiar name. Creating an account was required, but it also asked for the last 4 of my social which should have been a HUGE red flag. The site had come across as benign so I ignored it. Maybe an hour later I started receiving tons of calls and a text from SeatGeek (no idea what that is). Suspicious, I logged into the account, clicked on "Loan Requests" and saw THERE WERE 4 REQUESTS FOR $117,000 IN HOME LOANS SENT OUT.

I looked up some reviews, and saw where some people with similar Lending Tree experiences had their credit scores go down by about 10-20 points because of hard inquiries done by lenders through Lending Tree. I called immediately and had them cancel the requests and close my account. From my experience calling in, and the reviews I read, what happened to me isn't uncommon. So I will steer anyone and everyone away from this company, and will be keeping an eye on my IDShield membership and credit score.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I did a Google search to get average re-fi rates and LendingTree was a search result and presented a page to get average rates NOT to be contacted by mortgage lenders. They bait and switch you on the website so they can get your contact information and blast it out to 1000's of lenders who immediately start calling and emailing. I must have received 50 calls a day for 3 days. So I called and told them to block my number and they said they would but the calls kept coming. At night, on Saturdays, all the time. Very annoying. They get revenue by providing leads to mortgage lenders so they trick people into giving up their contact info. Sleazy operation.

Hi Brad,

We are very sorry for your experience. If you are still receiving unwanted calls, please email us at LendingTreeSocial@LendingTree.com and we will be sure you are added to the DNC list.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: July 16, 2018

Investing in LendingTree is a money in, no money out experience. They refuse to pay any of your principal out, even after it is freed up with the involved loans being repaid. They simply hold the money in a non-interest bearing account. Forget about ever receiving any of the supposed interest return, those funds never are released. I notified LendingTree over a year ago to close my account; so far not one cent has been paid to me, even though there are uninvested funds held by them. Calling is a joke; I waited over an hour with a constant recorded message saying everyone was on the phone; so it was never answered. I strongly recommend that on investment be placed with LendingTree under any circumstances unless you want the funds held effectively forever, so you never receive your principal back nor any of the supposed investment return on your principal.

Hi David,

Thank you for reaching out. While LendingTree helps match you with possible lenders, the loan and loan terms are based on the lender you chose. Were you matched with this lender through LendingTree? Please email us at LendingTreeSocial@LendingTree.com with more information.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: July 15, 2018

I applied with a personal loan with this company and was turned down, I have some late payments, and a lot of inquiries from searching for a lender to help me, credit scores are 640-612-621. I, like a lot of others have fallen into the installment loan trap and was just looking for a lender willing to take a chance on me and pay off those debts where I would have had just one payment a month. When searching for loans for people with poor credit this company is at the top of the Google search, but don't expect to be able to grab an apple from this tree. I wish that there was truly a lender out there that really caters to people with poor credit who are trying to get their lives back in order, this company was not that for me.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I recently tried to write a review of Allied Mortgage who had 5 stars on Lending Tree. I explained that I am a veteran and my spouse is a minority and we were looking for a VA Loan to replace a 1st and 2nd mortgage on our main residence. After the hurricane last year our current loan holder is allowing us to refinance with them or go elsewhere. We were told my credit score was 610 and they needed a minimum of 630 to refinance with Allied. I have Experian and my credit score is 670 while my wife's is over 700. Now when that bridge is crossed we are told that our modification with my current lender is not from the hurricane, which it is. The process has taken 3 of 4 months and we just want everything done. When we tried to put this in a review with 2 stars for Allied, Lending Tree denied the review. Is this how Allied has a 5 star rating?

Hi Mark -

Thank you for reaching out and providing this feedback. Can you send us more information about your experience to LendingTreeSocial@LendingTree.com so we can take a look?

LendingTree

Original review: July 9, 2018

I have been treated fair. The people have been very nice and helpful to me. LendingTree has helped me get my life and credit better. I can't thank them enough. I will tell friends and family to go to Lending ???? for all their loans and help. Thank you.

Original review: June 27, 2018

Don't believe the screen that says "This won't affect your credit". I had my credit score open while my husband filled out the LendingTree inquiry and I watched it happen. He clicked "Submit" and my credit score went down immediately. I refuse to do business with anybody who is going to lie to me right off the bat!

Original review: June 21, 2018

I wish I would have read all these reviews before looking at the website. All I wanted was to check rates on refinancing of my car. Had no idea that this would result in having hard pulls on my credit. If they had somewhere on this form that my credit was going to be pulled and maybe many many times never would I have agreed. Shortly after I fill in the form I received an alert that my credit was pulled. Called lending tree immediately ask them to take my information down and the women assured me that I would only have "one" credit pull. Not the case another credit pull the next day appeared. This could totally ruin your credit. Now I spoke to a supervisor and was informed that all these hard pulls would be deleted except for one if I did not shop around for a car loan in 14 days - hopefully this manager is right. This is just wrong and totally unacceptable.

LendingTree expert review by Michele Lerner

This online broker allows consumers and businesses to request and compare customized loan offers from a network of more than 350 lenders, banks and credit partners. The company's lender network offers a wide range of financial products including mortgages.

• Simple online application: The online application allows potential borrowers to submit a single request that is sent to multiple lenders for evaluation. It is simple to complete and does not require any detailed financial information.

• Instant quotes: Qualified applicants receive personalized loan offers in minutes. All consumers can visit the website to see customized interest rates by filling out a short form that does not require any personal information.

• No credit score impact: Consumers can request quotes and evaluate their loan options without affecting their credit score.

• Free, no-obligation quotes: No-obligation quotes are free, and lenders do not require consumers to pay any upfront fees to guarantee loan offers. Interested consumers can compare quotes to find the best offer for their situation.

• Tools and resources: The website offers online tools and resources, including personal credit scores, to help consumers manage their finances and make informed financial decisions.

• Best for: individuals who want to compare loan offers from multiple lenders and those who want to learn more about the homebuying process.

Profile picture of Michele Lerner
Michele Lerner Mortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.

LendingTree Company Information