3.8/5 (200 ratings)

Find Banks and Credit Unions partners near you

About Key Bank

Find Banks and Credit Unions partners near you

Key Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Key Bank?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Key Bank?

Original review: Nov. 21, 2021

KeyBank keeps charging me overdraft fees when I only overdraw by a couple dollars. I wasn't aware that the overdraft fees would cost so much. Why can't KeyBank inform us about these things before we go and overdraw our accounts? I will never recommend KeyBank. Do not bank with KeyBank. Sincerely, Disappointed.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

I have tried to close an account with Key Bank for 5 months now. I have talked to 10 different staff members at this point. Two members who are from the executive office. The story as far as how the process to close an account keeps changing. The first few representatives initially insisted pending charges had to clear and the balance to reach $0. However, when this is done a charge is processed and fees are charged to lock a client in a fraudulent and costly loop. Upon realizing this I contacted members who supposedly maintained higher positions in the organization.

During these conversations, I was told I was supposed to receive a phone call once the charges cleared. Then I was told a representative is supposed to contact the client once this occurs to finalize the closing of the account. It was confirmed by Jennifer that a request to close an account is supposed to be processed the first time the request is made and within 2 business days. She then advised I would be able to complete a document to finalize the closing of the account. I was unable to touch base with her again, however. I informed a customer service agent that I needed to speak with someone who had more authority amid the institution because I was aware of this information.

Once I reached one of the executive managers she stated that Key Bank is actually able to place a restriction on the account if you have the intention of closing it. I have documentation that the charges they claim are occurring are coming out of my other account. Yet, Key Bank is attempting to dismiss me and state I need to contact the institution that is charging the account. However, when I contacted those institutions they state only one of those payments (the payment from my actual account) processed.

Key Bank is literally locking me in an account I do not want and charging fees. The customer service representatives are taught to pacify and deflect in order to retain a clientele. When one reaches the executive office, they utilize the same tactics. Recently, I spoke to a representative name Angel, the second member at the executive office I spoke with, she stated I would need to contact customer services after she verified closing the account with them was not a one call or one-step process as it is with other credible banking institutions. I was obviously frustrated because she kept insisting she transfer me to customer service despite acknowledging this. Thus, upon my inquiring about what her competencies were as a leader in the company and she was unable to answer.

I have verified that this is extremely unlawful and shall proceed to take action. I have no idea how much money this fraudulent banking institution has collected from me in fees alone, and I do not intend on paying anymore of those exorbitant charges. In fact, I intend to recoup those losses since it is my understand that they capitalize off of individuals who do not understand their rights. I have two different banking accounts, a savings account, and an investment account. I am a multi-licensed insurance agent in the process of obtaining a notary certification. I have never encountered such a horrific ordeal, and I am well versed enough to understand that this is absolutely illegal. Please do not bank with this institution. It is predatory practice, and considering many individuals are losing their incomes due to the pandemic, this is unfortunate.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2021

Key Bank is the worst bank on planet Earth I was charged $33 overdraft fee plus a $38.50 tear to overdraft and a 28.50 recurrent overdraft for a .67 cent. This has happened 3 times in 1 month. PLEASE DON'T BANK KEY BANK.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

I did a mobile deposit on the 21st of August. It is now the 27th and I still do not have access to my paycheck. I have contacted customer service and I have also contacted executive offices and no one has been able to assist. I work for a hotel chain that has luxury properties throughout the world and I have been told that my paycheck is fraudulent. They have refused to call the 800 number on the front of the check to verify it which would solve the whole problem. I was actually called a thief, and yes that word was actually used by one of the customer service agents. I have made several phone calls. Nobody's helping. Stay away from KeyBank!,

Original review: Aug. 2, 2021

I was handling the affairs of a family member who had passed away, and had trouble at every turn, until I entered Key Bank Southwest Branch! Christine ** and Deborah ** provided amazing customer service! Thank you!

Original review: July 30, 2021

On July 15th 2021 at approximately 12:30 pm I called your Keybank branch on 33 3rd street Troy, NY 12180. ** took the call. I proceeded to let Mr. ** know that I was a client of the bank and I was attempting to wire money from my personal checking account to one of my business partners personal checking account. Although I use multiple banks and have multiple personal and business accounts for the various companies I own and operate, I’m partial to Key bank and that specific location. It used to be a HSBC then First Niagara and I’ve had an account at both of them before Key bank arrived.

Recently I had my partner open up a Key bank account in NYC to make it easier for me to send him money for expenses as we just started a new LLC in the city and as of yet we haven’t opened up a business account for it. My partner wanted to bank elsewhere, I however convinced him Key bank was the way to go. With that said I told Mr ** what my intent was at which time he told me he could not do it over the phone. I asked Mr. ** why not and his response was he could not verify who I was. I responded that you absolutely can verify me. Key bank verifies me over the phone all the time by asking me certain questions that only I should have access to. After a little back and forth he then tells me well it's our policy to have a customer come in person. I proceeded to tell him the whole purpose for me to wire was so that I don't have to come into the bank and I would like to do it on the computer to save myself time.

Mr ** once again said “well, we cannot verify you and it's not our policy to do wire transactions over the phone”. I said once again “you can verify me as your reps have done many times in the past for various other banking needs over the years”. Then I proceeded to tell him “if it's not your policy then just say it's not your policy, but what you keep saying is you can't verify me and that is an inaccurate statement”. I proceeded to tell him that I hold multiple degrees in communication and the way you’re communicating is not proper. All he had to say was it's not our policy and I would have accepted that but what he kept saying was he can't verify me and that’s not true you can verify me there are many ways.

The next thing I know Mr ** clearly agitated with me at this point slams the phone on me. I was shocked and appalled so I called back and he answered again and I said to him “Sir did you just hang up on me?” and he said, “Yes I did because you were yelling so I hung up.” I said to him “not only is that disrespectful it's extremely unprofessional to hang up on your client and I wasn’t yelling I was on speaker and I was projecting my voice and all you had to do was say sir, your voice is a little loud could you please lower your tone” but to hang the phone up on me with no warning was very unprofessional. I proceeded to let him know that I own five different LLC’s and I run a prominent Non for profit foundation that does a lot for the community and is supported by the Mayor of Albany here in the capital region. And I would no longer be putting my money in this bank.

I then hung up and went into the bank myself at which time I asked the teller if she could get me in contact with the branch manager who I was informed was out on vacation and that Mr ** was running things. I told her what I was trying to do and she said, "Well if you put the key bank app on your cell you could transfer money to anyone." I replied well it would have been nice to know that in advance of coming here. I found it odd that Mr **, who is the man in charge, didn't think it was important to tell me. So not only was he rude and unprofessional he didn’t even give me pertinent information that could have allowed me to resolve my issue and save me time and energy by not having to come into the bank.

Original review: July 6, 2021

Well here we are again waiting for KeyBank to put the money that Washington State paid them for my unemployment on my card. It has been about 30 hours since the money was given to the bank and I still have nothing. Rent was due yesterday. They extended until today but I won't get paid until tomorrow at the soonest because for whatever reason, they hold your money and don't disperse it when they get it. I would have to guess that I have something to do with the money that they are making by using our money to generate money for themselves at our expense. I wish the Washington state would pull out of the key Bank situation and shut them down for the fraud that they're committing against the people who are depending on unemployment benefits.

It seems to me that since the policy says if the money is deposited prior to 6:00 p.m. that it will be posted on that day that I should already have my money but I called and spoke to somebody at key Bank one time in regards to their holding my money away from me for the time. That they do and they said that the bank only communicates with the unemployment department one time per day and that when that one time happens that you're credited instantly.

The lady explain to me that it was completely and totally automated and no human contact was needed yet if there's a holiday, for some reason, even though Washington state pays the unemployment to KeyBank, the automated system for some reason makes the people who are dependent on the unemployment wait an extra day to get paid which makes no sense to me since it's all automated and no humans are needed to make the transfer. I would call it a scam or a fraud or a screwing in progress anything except for fair.

KeyBank needs to learn to adhere to its own policies or not expect the rest of us to. They are not the payees, they are simply a middleman who we are stuck dealing with because ultimately, they are working for us and they've got it all wrong when they're snotty and rude and think that they don't need us. I would wager that key Bank is so accustomed to getting all this unemployment money that if all of the states that utilize KeyBank for unemployment were to just pull out of their programs altogether, they would go out of business and would realize quickly how much they did need us and how much better they could have treated us and didn't.

I don't agree with the holding of my money for an extra day because the holiday that we just had was the 4th of July which fell on Sunday, not Monday. They should not be allowed to just decide arbitrarily to close down without notice and withhold all of the unemployment money that is being withheld from people as I speak. I think a class action lawsuit is in order. I I'm willing to be an organizer but will need help if anybody else would like to join in and be an organizer let me know. My contact information is current and correct. **

Original review: May 24, 2021

I've had a Key2Benefits card since 2013. My state uses the system to manage child support payments. In the eight years that I've been a customer, I have successfully logged into the site less than 10 times. Per the customer service agent I spoke to today, the site is very glitchy. I've tried resetting my password, recovering my user name, resetting my PIN, using an incognito window, accessing via Microsoft and Apple products, and everything else customer service has recommended with no success. Every time I try to access the site, it's a 30-60 minute waste of time. I can't believe the federal government thought this monstrosity of a website was a good idea for processing stimulus payments.

Original review: May 4, 2021

Two months I closed out my checking account and tried to close out my credit card. Key Bank wouldn’t let me. Said I have to wait for them to make sure I don’t have any outstanding credit even though I had no money in my checking account because I had already closed it out .So I called them again why they have not sent me my money they owe me on the credit I have remaining. This was in March. Said I didn’t close out my credit card account. So now it’s April they finally closed my account out. Said it would take 10 business days so I waited the 10 days. Still no money. I called this time to talk to a supervisor. She told me there was a glitch in the system. Said I would have to wait to get my money. So what do you think. Dishonest. Never bank with Key Bank And have their credit card.

Original review: April 27, 2021

Be Very Careful With Their Promotions. Opened a KeyBank Checking account with a $500.00 Promotion. The catch was you had to deposit $500 dollars within 60 days. Here I was, having all my payroll checks from a part-time job deposited within 60 days. The checks all totaled well over $500. This was on 9/22/2020. I called the bank after 90 days and they told me it could take up to 6 months to get my promo check. I called again on April the 26rh, 2021, and was told I did not qualify because I did not make ONE deposit of $500 or more... Seriously? I had all my payroll checks deposited within 60 days.

Folks, read the fine print and don't switch banks over promotions that have hidden catches to them. Shame on me but a bigger shame on them for not being an honest bank and telling me after numerous phone calls that all my money was no good for the promotion. Unscrupulous trickery. I immediately had my direct deposit switched to a bank that is more upfront and doesn't take 8 months of direct deposits before telling the customer he didn't meet the one lump deposit of $500. I was warned by a co-worker not to get involved with Key Bank. I should have listened. Live and learn.

Original review: April 14, 2021

I have never experienced such poor and careless customer service in my entire life. I was automatically signed up and issued a Keybank account to receive the unemployment benefits I recently started receiving. It's now mid April and my very first unemployment deposit was made to the Keybank account on March 3rd. After sending to wrong address the card was cancelled immediately but took numerous emails. They sometimes responded to asking for specific documents to verify my correct address. After sending appropriate document that was approved ... I waited over 3 entire weeks and still hadn't received replacement card. After inquiring about this ... I was told I had to send appropriate documents to verify my correct address AGAIN! After doing so ... I was told the new card would be expedited and expect to receive it within 2-3 business days!???

So almost 2 weeks later a replacement card FINALLY shows up in my mailbox. I call to activate the card and was transferred to a live agent who then explained that this newly/FINALLY received replacement card had been reported lost/stolen and that card I physically had in my hands had been cancelled (which I absolutely made no calls to report anything lost or stolen or sent or called to cancel ANYTHING)!!! They said ... However ... That ANOTHER card was on the way and was sent out on March 30th.

At this point it was now the 2nd of April! On Saturday I had that card cancelled because it had been well over 10 days let alone well over the 2-3 days I was told to expect it. I had a new card expedited that I have to pay $15.00 out of my own pocket. It's now Wednesday ... No card STILL? This is absolutely ridiculous and I can't wait until it arrives so I can withdraw the entire balance at once and never have to deal with Keybank ever again in my life. I have had no issues receiving my unemployment via direct deposit into my real bank account.

Original review: April 13, 2021

Key Bank is by far the worst bank ever. I will never do business with this bank again. Every time you call you're on hold from anywhere to 20-45 minutes. Then you speak to a rep and they are absolutely no help at all. I spoke to a Kaitlyn. She was rude, she filed a dispute that they gave me credit back for then took my credit back from me with no letter or any communication informing me of this. Needless to say I closed my account with these clowns. Do not bank with key bank. They also steal people's money by double charging your account and acting like it was a bank error. They are a huge scam!

Original review: April 3, 2021

Tried to open an account. Lady was clueless and didn’t know how. Had to wait four days before she had instructions. Then set up account wrong. She told me it would be two more days for them to fix the account. So told them to just give me my money back and forget the whole thing. I never left the bank, never received checks or a debit card. They refused to give me all of my money back that day to close the account. Don’t ever go to Key Bank in Thornton as they are completely clueless, and management doesn’t know what they are doing either.

Original review: March 20, 2021

No matter how many times I update my account with notes regarding international travel, my debit card is always shut off. I work abroad and am always using my card in foreign countries. Despite knowing this, my card is continuously turned off due to "suspicious" transactions. This last "suspicious" transaction was an 84 cent tip for an Uber driver. Tips on Uber are routed through their international headquarters in the Netherlands, and, because I had only told the bank I was in Colombia, they turned the card off leaving me stranded, alone, at night, on the Colombian streets with no way to get home. This bank operates at a 1977 standard and is useless in 2021. Making matters worse, the only way to turn your card back on is -- you guessed it -- through your US phone number. (Apparently, the bank can't afford to make international phone calls.) I am continuously disappointed (and put in serious risk) because of this bank.

Original review: March 11, 2021

I bought my truck last year and it was financed through Key Bank. I had a habit of paying my loan at the last minute. Only 2 or 3 times it was late. As soon as the date was up the company called my work 3-4 times a day asking for me. I called the company several times to tell them to stop calling. They even called after I made a payment! I put it in writing to stop calling. For months they called my work. The company said they only had my work number after I changed it to my cell, several times. I just refinanced and thank goodness.

Original review: March 4, 2021

I am going through the Unemployment Insurance thing with KeyBank also. I get my puny checks no problem. Once they add the 300 dollars, they didn't pay me the first two checks. The total is $843, KeyBank rep tells me, "I see $600, I see $550." Those checks are one and they do not add up to $843. $600 was Stimulus duh, and 550 was a one-time payment for making us wait 10 years for our unemployment payments. I talk to KeyBank, nobody knows anything. Nobody will talk to anybody or nothing. KeyBank hung me out to dry and I am sooo done with these antics.. Go Credit Union. They treat you like a human!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

After spending the last two days on hold and numerous hours speaking with representatives from KeyBank it has come to my attention that there is possibly a Nationwide Unemployment Fraud taking place that needs to be looked into further. I am bringing this to Consumer Affairs because I am hoping that this is something other people can be made aware of the current situation.

I spoke to KeyBank representatives from Customer Service, a manager from Disputes, and a manager from the Fraud Alerts Department. They all assured me that this was a larger unemployment fraud issue that is going on and not localized to just me or KeyBank, but rather many banks and unemployment as a whole. As if that should give me assurance after explaining to each of them that someone had accessed my Login information, changed it and then proceeded to extract funds over three days and three transactions leaving me with $0.11 in my account.

The fraudulent party had access to my Login username, password, and two of five security questions which rotate to gain access to my account. Thankfully this Login information is unique to this account only. This sounds like an internal and/or an even larger issue at this point. KeyBank and Unemployment is giving no warnings to their account holders at this time. After filing a claim with their disputes department their only answers to the current situation are to cancel my current debit card, change my login information which I can't access until I receive my new debit card in seven to ten business days, and wait an additional ten to fifteen business days to hear from disputes. In an already struggling situation for the individual, this response on their behalf seems criminal from a large banking corporation that is profiting from unemployment distribution.

KeyBanks' hold times are insane even in Covid time, gauged in days not hours, customer service is woefully uninformed and non sympathetic, both managers were utterly clueless and had kids screaming in the background while on the phone. Hopefully this is something that with the internet and research, Consumer Affairs can help educate the public on the broader scope of the fraud.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

I discovered on 1/31/21 that someone had made fraudulent ACH transfers on my card clearing out my account. I only discovered this when I went to check my online account and I was locked out. I called the number on the back of the card and the automated system said my balance was $45 dollars. I was immediately alarmed bc there was over $2000 in my account. I call back to speak to a representative and she notifies me that on 1/28/21 my PIN was changed and from 1/28-1/31 $500 was taken out each day amounting to $2000. She continues to tell me that it was done through an ATM which I explain is impossible because I had the card in my possession. She says the card can be spoofed and proceeds to try to pass through a fraud claim but kept getting a prompt from the system saying they cannot verify my identity. She tells me to call back the next day.

I couldn’t sleep at all that night and found another number to call so at 3am I call and the customer service representative informs me that the PIN was changed and the money was taken but not from an ATM but through ACH transfer. I ask how this could be and if she had any info of where the money wound up and she tells me she can’t access that information. She also tries to push through my fraud claim but gets the same message-they cannot verify my identity. She also tells me to call back during normal business hours. I call back the next day, wait 2 hours on hold. Have to explain the whole story again because the previous representatives didn’t make notes like they said they would. This representative gets the same prompt they cannot verify my identity. I was directed to send in a proof of identity and address which I did. I was told that I had to call them back in 3 days to check the status.

I call back and they finally confirm my identity and the person on the phone informs me that they will begin the fraud claim and hopefully I will get my money back. Hopefully?! It’s $2000!! A few days later I received a letter informing me that after they performed a “thorough” investigation they have closed the claim and concluded that NO ERROR OCCURRED! The following reason for denying the claim was because “the cardholder authorized the transaction“. I was absolutely livid. These are my unemployment funds that have been wrongfully taken from me. I call the number on the letter and speak to someone. I ask to speak to a higher up or whomever conducted this supposed “thorough” investigation to which he replies that he doesn’t even know who that is and has never had access to that department or anyone in it.

Meanwhile, I have no access to my account online because it will not let me log in. The customer service representative tells me to type up a letter saying everything I told him plus proof of identity and fax it over. All the legwork is left on me. Anxious and broke and violated. I finally log into my account to find that the ACH transfers were sent to someone in Milwaukee, WI with no other information. I sent over the fax along with my FTC report, CFPB claim, FBI internet crime claim report as well as a BBB claim report. I am currently waiting on hold for over an hour to speak to someone to see if they even received my fax because keep in mind they will never contact you. If my password is changed on Amazon or Gmail I am automatically notified that it was but a financial institution that deals with unemployment benefits allows any stranger to change your information and they don’t even let you know.

Not only am I out $2000 but this has caused undue physical and mental stress. My stomach condition has flared up and I have been bedridden for days since this happened. I have a family to support and this is unacceptable especially during a pandemic where work is scarce. I am the victim. I am not only a victim of fraud and theft but identity theft but this bank has made me out to be the criminal. I am glad to know that someone in Milwaukee is enjoying my money without a care in the world while the bank is basically like “it’s okay that you stole money”. I demand not only my stolen funds be returned but the bank in which the money was transferred to be disclosed along with any other information regarding this fraudulent transaction. If this isn’t resolved I will be in contact with local news as well as my local congressman.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

This Bank is completely and utterly worthless. I'm not sure how or why First Niagara even got bought by these clowns in the first place. For starters their website and their computer system is by far terrible. There's no TIMESTAMPS on deducted transactions whatsoever so they can arrange for your deductions to work against you on your account. They secretly double deduct from your account but claim they don't. There have been times with pending transactions that the amount has been deducted and then when it clears you're hit with it again. They also claim they can check if you have incoming deposits to your account which is another lie. Whatever you can do on the online banking aspect is exactly what those customer service reps can see on your account and nothing more.. they "act" like they can.

Another thing is if you have disputes they will screw you over. They will give you the credit and then reverse it without any type of notice or anything a month later. Once you call in and tell them you never received anything they "apologize". Well, that apology doesn't mean jack when you have an overdrawn account soon afterwards even after you use your check register to double check. This bank is one shady company and they don't care unless you reach their corporate office. Then all of a sudden they can magically "fix" things.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2021

Every time I call Key2benefits I get put on hold for hours at a time and not speak to anybody. The one time I did speak to someone they couldn't tell me why a block was on my card and transferred me to a different department only to get told the same thing eventually ending up transferred back to the first person I spoke to and still being told nothing about my card being blocked.. going on day 3 in a row of this same thing, being on hold for hours and just getting no answer..

Original review: Dec. 23, 2020

This is the biggest fraud that no one in America is talking about because everyone's too concerned with Trump! This bank is defrauding the American public and no one is doing anything about it. Went to Chase ATM for money to buy groceries. ATM with Key Bank Unemployment Card deducts money from my account and gives me no money!!!

The Chase Bank slip says, "We can't complete your withdrawal right now. To make sure your account is credited correctly, contact your bank. All the info you need to open a claim is included on this receipt from your transaction." I checked my balance on Key2Benefits and money has been deducted. I've now been waiting for 22 minutes and I'm being told that I have to be transferred to the dispute department, which is close. So, the woman transfers me to a closed department. I just wasted 22 minutes of my life on hold for a department that's closed. Tell me Key Bank, where is the money that I did not get at the ATM? THIS IS FRAUD!!!!

They hope that you'll give up, meanwhile they keep your money.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

I was scammed & lost $500 a day for a whole week 7 days. Didn't know till I went to pay a bill-- NO notice from bank. Filed claim 23 days ago & NOW when I call I WAIT on hold for 45 minutes or longer & as soon as someone picks up it disconnects me & last time I talked to someone last week they said wait for letter, but I haven't RECEIVED a letter either. One rep said, "Hopefully you will get money back".. My thought is I BETTER GET my money back.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

Since the implementation of the new ATM system, I have been unable to make a cash deposit. I've told Cust Service and the tellers with no satisfaction. Others are having the same problem. Please advise when this will be resolved.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

I will never refer any of my family or friends to bank with Key Bank, I will never refer anybody, they charge me for no reasonable reason at all and with the unprofessional maybe racist Customer representative make it worse, they act like they own the money in your account, I remember this one Key Bank representative telling me I can only withdraw $500 from my account, when I was able to call and withdraw $1000 before, and she added period at the end of the statement saying only $500 period, I was so angry. I could not talk her anymore. I had to hang up the phone.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

I receive unemployment on a Key Bank card... This is the 2nd week that my money is not on the card due to their system... I will never use them again!!! Why do you keep holding my money? Then 2 days after I'm due to be paid you decide to release my funds!!!

Original review: Oct. 17, 2020

Leave it to Illinois to hire this company to take care of people’s unemployment benefits... The company has no regard for the fact they have people’s livelihood at stake. The customer service is absolutely unacceptable. The mail comes always late. I’m currently on hold waiting for a rep for 57 minutes!!!! This is because the last two reps gave me misinformation because again they seem to not care that people’s livelihoods are at stake. This company is absolutely ridiculous. It is seriously mind blowing how incompetent they are.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

My KeyBank journey has been frustrating, to say the least: I opened an account 4/2/20 with a sign-up bonus and called KeyBank customer service afterward to ensure I met all of the terms. At that time they told me I had and to give it 60-90 days to appear on my account. I called back after that time only to be told that I had not fulfilled all of the terms and to go into a branch to appeal. I went into a branch 8/26 and they said there was nothing they could do. I called KeyBank customer service back and they said the best they could do would be to look up the call recording in April when I was misinformed, but it was probably erased. They said they would call back and never did.

All the while, on the same account I called 7/24 to dispute a maintenance fee. They refunded the fee and reminded me to pay mortgage directly from account and direct deposit every month, which I have been doing. Had to call back 9/29 because they deducted maintenance payment for August and September again. At that time they said I haven’t fulfilled the terms because I haven’t set up ACH, only payment transfer payment. I was upset this wasn’t explained to me when I called 7/24 and they waived the September fee but couldn’t waive August because they couldn’t see it in their system. So, not only did the misinformation from the customer service team help me lose out on my sign-up bonus, it has also cost me in maintenance fees. I will be closing my account.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2020

If I could give them negative stars I would. First sent it to the wrong address. Then took an Act of God to get another card sent after being on hold for hours and days and dealing with rude customer service agents who didn’t seem to care and hung up on me multiple times. Now have 3 pending hotel incidental charges that were released by hotels almost a months ago and still haven’t returned to balance. Dont put this card on file anywhere for incidentals or deposits. Could really use that $300, Key. You suck.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

I opened an account a couple months ago, drawn in by the $200 bonus for setting up direct deposit. We've had nothing but issues with this bank. When you order groceries online, and the total charges change (they didn't have a product, or they substituted with a lower price), they remove the initial charge and recharge you the correct amount. Unlike our last bank, which just updates the charge, Key removes the charge, waits a day or two, takes the money out, waits another day, then the charge shows up on the transaction list.

Are you relying on a direct deposit? Be prepared to wait. Sometimes it's there when I wake up Monday morning, sometimes it's there later in the morning, and right now, it's not there at all. My deposit is split to two accounts. The other bank has my direct deposit. Key has neither my or my husbands paycheck. My pay stub says it was sent to the correct account. It's not my work, my husband's work. It's the bank.

Need to use the ATM? Be prepared to pay fees constantly. There is only two Keybanks "near" me. I used a "surcharge-free" ATM labelled as an Allpoint ATM at a gas station three times. No fees come out right away from Key so I figured I'm good to go. Nope, here we are this morning and a $15 fee hits my account when I only have $4 available at the time, waiting for my paycheck to hit before my last charge posts so I don't get hit with a $34 overdraft fee. Apparently they charge the fees all at once for the month before. The fee schedule says it will hit at the end of the statement cycle. It's the 18th.

I constantly monitor our bank account. We used to be homeless, so money is something I keep tight control over. If you like to see an accurate display of what you have at any given time, Key is not the bank for you. If you like to have your paycheck on time every week, Key is not the bank for you. If you want 24 hour customer service, Key is not the bank for you. If you don't like paying fees to get access to your own money, Key is not the bank for you. And lastly, if you don't want to wait DAYS for a check from your 401K to be cleared when you are desperate after having a lower amount of funds due to a global pandemic, Key is not the bank for you. I am closing my account out ASAP.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2020

This is my third time writing a one star review. I started receiving my unemployment money through Keybank just before the summer started and I’ve had to call customer service well over 10 times for different problems. I recently misplaced my card so I reported it lost. Because my card was lost keybank signed me out of my key2benefits online account. I then waited over a week for my new card to be sent and when I got it I tried to sign it up to a new online account and was not able to. I then called customer service and waited 45 mins for them to answer and ask me all the same questions they’ve asked me the other 10 times.

When they realized I was doing everything the correct way, the employee told me she couldn’t do anything to help me because there’s a problem on their end that won’t let people sign up for an account a second time, even though they sent me a second card. Now I either have to drive 2 hours away out of state to get my money out of a keybank atm (because there’s none in my state) or pay the fee to take the money out of a different atm.

Since I got the card I’ve felt like keybank just tries to scam you out of the largest percentage of your money that they can. I’m only writing this review because I feel like it’s the only thing I can do so they don’t completely get away with it. I also hope that somebody reads this or the hundreds of other one star reviews before they agree to send their money into keybank and decides against it. I’ve never been this stressed out due to a corporation and until they get shut down they will just keep trying to get over on people. If you have any other option, choose that option! Worst experience of my life with any company.

Key Bank Company Information