3.0/5 (120 ratings)

Find Banks and Credit Unions partners near you

About Key Bank

Find Banks and Credit Unions partners near you

Key Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Key Bank?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Key Bank?

Original review: Dec. 20, 2021

This call I made to make a payment was ok... I was behind my mortgage payment due to Corona virus problem. I took the forbearance program. At the end I was ready to start making my payments, but they did not want to accept the payment. They didn't want to accept my payments, but rather foreclosure my house....saying I didn't qualify for any program. They wanted all the money at once or foreclosure...no matter what the law says. Customer service at Key bank are the worse in my opinion. There are some people there who are just waiting for a client to be in a littler bit of trouble to start sucking their blood like vampires.

There's a young guy there who was very nasty with me and just wanted to send my account to foreclosure with no interest to help me. I told these people that if they don't accept my payment I'm going to go to the county clerk to deposit my payment and ask a judge to look at my case....and that I could also go to a bankruptcy court I told them. Then a young woman came to the phone and arranged my payment right away. I wonder how many people lost their home because these people....they are not Americans. They are vampires!... in my opinion. I wish they sell my account to another institution. The minute I can refinance, I'll do it...just to see No KeyBank in my life.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2021

I was scammed by this bank. They charge you upfront for loan fees then change their product and offer. If you complain, it doesn't matter since they already made their money. Very unprofessional. The beginning start with a certain agent, then the following communications is with a different agent. They can reach you but you can't reach them.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2021

KeyBank keeps charging me overdraft fees when I only overdraw by a couple dollars. I wasn't aware that the overdraft fees would cost so much. Why can't KeyBank inform us about these things before we go and overdraw our accounts? I will never recommend KeyBank. Do not bank with KeyBank. Sincerely, Disappointed.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2021

I have tried to close an account with Key Bank for 5 months now. I have talked to 10 different staff members at this point. Two members who are from the executive office. The story as far as how the process to close an account keeps changing. The first few representatives initially insisted pending charges had to clear and the balance to reach $0. However, when this is done a charge is processed and fees are charged to lock a client in a fraudulent and costly loop. Upon realizing this I contacted members who supposedly maintained higher positions in the organization.

During these conversations, I was told I was supposed to receive a phone call once the charges cleared. Then I was told a representative is supposed to contact the client once this occurs to finalize the closing of the account. It was confirmed by Jennifer that a request to close an account is supposed to be processed the first time the request is made and within 2 business days. She then advised I would be able to complete a document to finalize the closing of the account. I was unable to touch base with her again, however. I informed a customer service agent that I needed to speak with someone who had more authority amid the institution because I was aware of this information.

Once I reached one of the executive managers she stated that Key Bank is actually able to place a restriction on the account if you have the intention of closing it. I have documentation that the charges they claim are occurring are coming out of my other account. Yet, Key Bank is attempting to dismiss me and state I need to contact the institution that is charging the account. However, when I contacted those institutions they state only one of those payments (the payment from my actual account) processed.

Key Bank is literally locking me in an account I do not want and charging fees. The customer service representatives are taught to pacify and deflect in order to retain a clientele. When one reaches the executive office, they utilize the same tactics. Recently, I spoke to a representative name Angel, the second member at the executive office I spoke with, she stated I would need to contact customer services after she verified closing the account with them was not a one call or one-step process as it is with other credible banking institutions. I was obviously frustrated because she kept insisting she transfer me to customer service despite acknowledging this. Thus, upon my inquiring about what her competencies were as a leader in the company and she was unable to answer.

I have verified that this is extremely unlawful and shall proceed to take action. I have no idea how much money this fraudulent banking institution has collected from me in fees alone, and I do not intend on paying anymore of those exorbitant charges. In fact, I intend to recoup those losses since it is my understand that they capitalize off of individuals who do not understand their rights. I have two different banking accounts, a savings account, and an investment account. I am a multi-licensed insurance agent in the process of obtaining a notary certification. I have never encountered such a horrific ordeal, and I am well versed enough to understand that this is absolutely illegal. Please do not bank with this institution. It is predatory practice, and considering many individuals are losing their incomes due to the pandemic, this is unfortunate.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2021

Key Bank is the worst bank on planet Earth I was charged $33 overdraft fee plus a $38.50 tear to overdraft and a 28.50 recurrent overdraft for a .67 cent. This has happened 3 times in 1 month. PLEASE DON'T BANK KEY BANK.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

I did a mobile deposit on the 21st of August. It is now the 27th and I still do not have access to my paycheck. I have contacted customer service and I have also contacted executive offices and no one has been able to assist. I work for a hotel chain that has luxury properties throughout the world and I have been told that my paycheck is fraudulent. They have refused to call the 800 number on the front of the check to verify it which would solve the whole problem. I was actually called a thief, and yes that word was actually used by one of the customer service agents. I have made several phone calls. Nobody's helping. Stay away from KeyBank!,

Original review: Aug. 2, 2021

I was handling the affairs of a family member who had passed away, and had trouble at every turn, until I entered Key Bank Southwest Branch! Christine ** and Deborah ** provided amazing customer service! Thank you!

Original review: July 30, 2021

On July 15th 2021 at approximately 12:30 pm I called your Keybank branch on 33 3rd street Troy, NY 12180. ** took the call. I proceeded to let Mr. ** know that I was a client of the bank and I was attempting to wire money from my personal checking account to one of my business partners personal checking account. Although I use multiple banks and have multiple personal and business accounts for the various companies I own and operate, I’m partial to Key bank and that specific location. It used to be a HSBC then First Niagara and I’ve had an account at both of them before Key bank arrived.

Recently I had my partner open up a Key bank account in NYC to make it easier for me to send him money for expenses as we just started a new LLC in the city and as of yet we haven’t opened up a business account for it. My partner wanted to bank elsewhere, I however convinced him Key bank was the way to go. With that said I told Mr ** what my intent was at which time he told me he could not do it over the phone. I asked Mr. ** why not and his response was he could not verify who I was. I responded that you absolutely can verify me. Key bank verifies me over the phone all the time by asking me certain questions that only I should have access to. After a little back and forth he then tells me well it's our policy to have a customer come in person. I proceeded to tell him the whole purpose for me to wire was so that I don't have to come into the bank and I would like to do it on the computer to save myself time.

Mr ** once again said “well, we cannot verify you and it's not our policy to do wire transactions over the phone”. I said once again “you can verify me as your reps have done many times in the past for various other banking needs over the years”. Then I proceeded to tell him “if it's not your policy then just say it's not your policy, but what you keep saying is you can't verify me and that is an inaccurate statement”. I proceeded to tell him that I hold multiple degrees in communication and the way you’re communicating is not proper. All he had to say was it's not our policy and I would have accepted that but what he kept saying was he can't verify me and that’s not true you can verify me there are many ways.

The next thing I know Mr ** clearly agitated with me at this point slams the phone on me. I was shocked and appalled so I called back and he answered again and I said to him “Sir did you just hang up on me?” and he said, “Yes I did because you were yelling so I hung up.” I said to him “not only is that disrespectful it's extremely unprofessional to hang up on your client and I wasn’t yelling I was on speaker and I was projecting my voice and all you had to do was say sir, your voice is a little loud could you please lower your tone” but to hang the phone up on me with no warning was very unprofessional. I proceeded to let him know that I own five different LLC’s and I run a prominent Non for profit foundation that does a lot for the community and is supported by the Mayor of Albany here in the capital region. And I would no longer be putting my money in this bank.

I then hung up and went into the bank myself at which time I asked the teller if she could get me in contact with the branch manager who I was informed was out on vacation and that Mr ** was running things. I told her what I was trying to do and she said, "Well if you put the key bank app on your cell you could transfer money to anyone." I replied well it would have been nice to know that in advance of coming here. I found it odd that Mr **, who is the man in charge, didn't think it was important to tell me. So not only was he rude and unprofessional he didn’t even give me pertinent information that could have allowed me to resolve my issue and save me time and energy by not having to come into the bank.

Original review: July 6, 2021

Well here we are again waiting for KeyBank to put the money that Washington State paid them for my unemployment on my card. It has been about 30 hours since the money was given to the bank and I still have nothing. Rent was due yesterday. They extended until today but I won't get paid until tomorrow at the soonest because for whatever reason, they hold your money and don't disperse it when they get it. I would have to guess that I have something to do with the money that they are making by using our money to generate money for themselves at our expense. I wish the Washington state would pull out of the key Bank situation and shut them down for the fraud that they're committing against the people who are depending on unemployment benefits.

It seems to me that since the policy says if the money is deposited prior to 6:00 p.m. that it will be posted on that day that I should already have my money but I called and spoke to somebody at key Bank one time in regards to their holding my money away from me for the time. That they do and they said that the bank only communicates with the unemployment department one time per day and that when that one time happens that you're credited instantly.

The lady explain to me that it was completely and totally automated and no human contact was needed yet if there's a holiday, for some reason, even though Washington state pays the unemployment to KeyBank, the automated system for some reason makes the people who are dependent on the unemployment wait an extra day to get paid which makes no sense to me since it's all automated and no humans are needed to make the transfer. I would call it a scam or a fraud or a screwing in progress anything except for fair.

KeyBank needs to learn to adhere to its own policies or not expect the rest of us to. They are not the payees, they are simply a middleman who we are stuck dealing with because ultimately, they are working for us and they've got it all wrong when they're snotty and rude and think that they don't need us. I would wager that key Bank is so accustomed to getting all this unemployment money that if all of the states that utilize KeyBank for unemployment were to just pull out of their programs altogether, they would go out of business and would realize quickly how much they did need us and how much better they could have treated us and didn't.

I don't agree with the holding of my money for an extra day because the holiday that we just had was the 4th of July which fell on Sunday, not Monday. They should not be allowed to just decide arbitrarily to close down without notice and withhold all of the unemployment money that is being withheld from people as I speak. I think a class action lawsuit is in order. I I'm willing to be an organizer but will need help if anybody else would like to join in and be an organizer let me know. My contact information is current and correct. **

Original review: May 24, 2021

I've had a Key2Benefits card since 2013. My state uses the system to manage child support payments. In the eight years that I've been a customer, I have successfully logged into the site less than 10 times. Per the customer service agent I spoke to today, the site is very glitchy. I've tried resetting my password, recovering my user name, resetting my PIN, using an incognito window, accessing via Microsoft and Apple products, and everything else customer service has recommended with no success. Every time I try to access the site, it's a 30-60 minute waste of time. I can't believe the federal government thought this monstrosity of a website was a good idea for processing stimulus payments.

Take a Mortgage Quiz