1.16/5
Based on 92 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Key Bank

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 21, 2018

390 Key Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Had to set up my online payment with them three times. I also had to drive to 20 miles to a branch to hand deliver my ACH information because they only accepted a Fax (which they said they can't confirm they received). After two months they had an issue and I was not notified so I went online to make the payment. My bank info was gone (again) and I had to work with their team for a "workaround" because of an archaic system design. By the way their system for fees and late fees seem to work fine. It seems like a scam to get fees (all have been waived though). Nothing but a headache.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

This banks should be called FEEBANK, not Key Bank. Unscrupulous practices, items pending on a Sunday night when the Federal Reserve is closed are automatically pushed through just to create an overdraft. My family has over 500,000 in this bank and have used them since 1965, when they were Society National BANK. As a third generation banking customer, they cater to people that are in the credit range of 800 and up, and have at least 50,000 in the bank. They can stick their line of credit where the sun does not shine. And their crappy practices as well. I have had great service with Huntington and PNC which I have moved all my accounts to. My branch was in Huron, Ohio. Worst service ever. Went to close my account, and was told to come back another day because a 10.27 dollar charge at a gas station was pending. GO ** yourself KEY/FEEBANK!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I have to agree with others that this bank's practices are completely unscrupulous. Depending on who you talk to, you will receive different information about fees charged to your accounts. I have had false fees removed by some customer service reps but not others. They will flat out lie to you to get you to open accounts then hit you with fees that someone assured you would not incur. I am done with these thieves. Please, entrust your hard earned money elsewhere. This bank should be investigated and closed.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

Key Bank will allow a transaction to go through and then make you pay a service charge. I have had this same experience multiple times. Today (2/6/18), when I called the customer service line, the lady I spoke with told me that "they were helping you out". In what land did "helping you out" involve making you pay for the help? I'm so pissed that I can't even go into the detail of my experience with this Fraud that calls itself a bank. Nevertheless, there are kind people at some of the branches I have visited, but the system is just there to "milk" customers. First thing 9 am tomorrow morning is to go down to the nearest branch and close my account. I have had enough. I wish I could pass with a Zero Star or even a minus Zero... Ha!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

They are unscrupulous. They will edit your debit history, push through transactions and even hold deposits to make sure your balance is screwed up. Then they'll charge big fees. I have 2 account with this bank. Every month they figure out how they made my account go negative to charge overdraft fee's on top over and over again. Every month I'm paid $200.00 dollar about this issue. This is take money off my budget. I need to paid other thing. I can't afford those people take money off my account or manipulation my financial system just to made money for themselves.

We are a working class trying to get ahead on this difficult time not for this bank stolen are blind. On top of all that they have the haughtiness to put a hold on your account for 22 days even when you are paying with money all punishment. Hope someone on the district attorney office take all those complaint on consideration and something can be done for us. This is ridiculous. Run! Run!!! Out of this Key Bank.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Key Bank?

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

I am closing an account tomorrow morning. I have spent the past six months, first, trying to get Key to acknowledge their mistake, and second, correct it. After the first fraudulent charge I called customer service, who told me to go into a local branch. I did, and the local branch manager told me to call customer service. By the time they removed the first 18.00 charge, two more had been added in the following months. Each time, I called, was told to go into a branch, and was told when I got there to call customer service.

Finally I guess they got tired of me and simply didn't send my statement (October) waiting until the end of November to remove the second eighteen dollar mistake. They had of course added one in September so they still owe me eighteen dollars. I would close the account but I feel like then they still keep the eighteen dollars. This is not a simple mistake; it is a planned profiteering scheme. If I had time I'd write a longer review and send it to the F.T.C.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

If you love throwing money away, this is the bank for you. On several occasions they have held my deposit & my debits go through & have ended up with $100 in fees. I've tried talking with them, the branch people are rude & call center don't care. This place needs investigated. They are ripping people off!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

I have had an account with this bank for many years. Recently after having a new automatic deposit of several hundred dollars they started delaying debits to my account in order to put it in Insufficient Funds status. During the middle of Christmas shopping in 2017 they charged me an overdraft fee when my account showed a positive balance. I made a deposit immediately which they delayed posting. So the overdraft fees continued. I had automatic payments I could not stop because of PayPal policies. But mostly because of Key Bank my account is now over $700 in arrears. They have financially ruined me. And they don't seem to care. I fully believe that they did this because of the new direct deposit. They assumed they could collect from that but I was able to change that deposit in time to another bank who truly cares about their customers!!!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

Key Bank white plains location (270). Bad customer service. Today a female teller who must be newly hired refused to cash my check because she did not know me although I am a member of this bank. The way she spoke to me she was completely unprofessional and I was forced to go to a check cashing and pay almost 30 dollars to cash my check so I can pay my rent. Word to the wise go where you are appreciated and treated better. This caused me a hardship as I was forced to spend money I did not have to spend. I would suggest not going to this teller if you enter this bank. You will not be treated fairly or with respect.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

If it seems too good to be true it probably is! I was suckered in by the $200 new account offer. I opened my new account, excited to be done with monthly fees and the promise of an extra $200 - woo hoo! I waited for my new checks and debit card - I needed the checks to change my direct deposit and the debit card to make my required transactions (and you know, to just have access to my account) to qualify for my $200. Then I waited some more... and waited again. I went into the Tigard, OR branch to see what was going on. Lead Teller Deborah ** looked up my account and told me that I should wait another week because the holidays must have slowed things down.

I revisited the branch today because I checked my account through the Key Bank phone app and found that I had been charged an overdraft fee when I had money in my account! Oh, and still no debit card. I was greeted by Deborah again after a 12 minute wait. She looks my account up again and then passed me off to the new accounts manager Tom because she didn't know what was going on. Tom looks up my account and tells me that they have put a hold on my deposit WITHOUT NOTIFYING ME and that my funds wouldn't be released until Saturday. I showed him on my phone app where it didn't list any holds on my account or any pending transactions.

I told him that it was absolutely ridiculous! He asked me if I wanted him to reverse the overdraft fee and said that I absolutely expect that fee to be reversed - IMMEDIATELY. He said that he could order me another debit card and I told him that it isn't necessary because I will be closing my account as soon as my funds are available! I now have to deal with automatic payments that I had authorized and fees involved with those companies for the returned payments. This has been such a NIGHTMARE! NOT WORTH THE PROMOTIONAL MONEY!!!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I have an checking account with Key. It double dipping on transaction causing the rest of the charges bound so it can charge for bound check. I also have a credit card account with it. I may pay on the beginning of the billing circle and it never update my balance until the end of the billing circle so it can charging interest. I've called them. The call went to Philippine. No one can help me except keep paying until it paid.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

How do they stay in business? Fees. These people are unscrupulous. They will edit your debit history, push through transactions and even hold deposits to make sure your balance is screwed up. Then they'll swoop in and hit you with the big old fees. They need to be shut down.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

I initially opened my account (15+ years ago) with Harleysville National Bank, and never had a problem. It turned into First Niagara, again, never had a problem. Now it has become Key Bank. I was in a hurricane (Category 5- Maria, Sep 19, 2017), that left us without power for several months, no cell-phone service, no internet, and no communications for several weeks. When I was finally able to leave the island and contact Key Bank customer service, they first challenged my claim that I had been through a hurricane (even though the address on file is easily verifiable). They have continued to charge late fees, report non-payment, and charge interest -AND- they have now closed my account.

Every other major card I carry, identified the address with the disaster zone and put all charges, fees, penalties, AND CREDIT REPORTING on hold for 90 days. All other cards (Amazon, Capitol One, Cabelas) did this before I ever contacted them. They linked the address with the disaster zone, and took actions to assist us. Key Bank - still refuses to even admit there was a hurricane, they have refused to remove late fees, they have refused to revoke the negative credit reports, and after speaking with the "highest" level authority in Key Bank, despite their kind words on the phone, they just play dumb, and do nothing.

They will not tell me the reason they have closed my account (although I have never missed a payment, with the exception of Oct, and Nov 2017 due to the hurricane). In December 2017, upon returning to the land of electric, phone, and internet, I made payment as I promised, and the account balance was paid in full. My account is now closed, and no one at Key Bank will tell me why, or explain to me any reasoning behind it, and they continue to ignore the natural disaster that tore through the USVI just 3 months ago. This is the worst bank I have ever dealt with. I advise everyone to run away from this bank as fast as you can. This is the most predatory bank I have ever seen - taking advantage of victims of natural disaster.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I opened my bank account with HSBC about 15 years ago. Never had ANY problems. HSBC turned into First Niagara. Still a fine bank. But since Key Bank took over, it has been one nightmare after another. TWICE Key Bank deposited a check into my account and made it part of my available balance only to (days later) inexplicably take the check amount back out of my account. Why? Well it took me several visits to my local branch and 3 WEEKS to get the explanation (via snail mail) that the check "couldn't be read by our scanner" so it has been voided from my bank account, thus sending my account into overdraft.

Of course I was then hit with multiple overdraft fees. Because of a fault with THEIR system, not due to any issue with me, my money, or my own banking procedures. My local branch tried to figure out what the problem was and to refund my overdraft fees but no success. If your local branch has no power to refund you anything then what is the point of all this? I am closing my account. This is fraud, in my opinion.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

OMG. How could there so many disconnections, wrong departments, and so much internal confusion? All for a fairly straightforward question? Each person I spoke was friendly enough, even in the face of my growing frustration–kudos to them for that–but then would send me to the wrong place, give me the wrong information, or, in one case, inadvertently hang up on me. All the while, messages played about how the queue was 1-3 minutes. It wasn't. I've had accounts with Key for years–a mortgage, investments, etc.–but after today, sadly, I have to look for a new bank, because I cannot stomach that much ineptitude. I am beyond appalled.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

We applied for a home loan in mid July, they said to change to another loan package to save money, it caused a higher estimated payment and a second hit in our credit within one month! We paid money upfront, inspection, etc. They kept changing requirements, charged us for appraisal and we did a year of homeowners on November 3. After several delays and a ridiculous delay of the bank refusing to close because the current homeowners wanted to keep their oil and gas rights and after we were told four different closing dates, we are now into December. The house needs some outside work and we are paying insurance, job verifications complete and every paper trail covered and all requests submitted, 5 months after we start we aren't permitted in this house and finally are denied due to lack of collateral... something never asked for!!!

Now we lose out on over 3k, which is a lot for us. We may get 1k of hand money back, but canceling the homeowners we only get part back, and the rest is gone.

Not to mention we currently rent and gave three notices of moving, luckily the landlord understand delay after delay! So in November I tell the landlord we will be out by mid January... I pay rent twice a month. He has a new tenant... and I have less than 30 days to move with two minor children in school and money for downpayment first month rent etc gone because we used it to buy our first home, we aren't getting now. And we have those credit inquiries we have to start all over! It has been stressful beyond what this process should have been!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

There is definitely predatory and illegal practices going on at this bank. Since when does a bank NOT have to give itemized details of charges? And be able to foreclose on homes by sending a letter (regular mail) stating an astronomical settlement amount to avoid foreclosure. And to add insult to injury the letter will allow you 30 days to come up with the unexplained dollar amount (way more than mtg payments) but you come to find out the foreclosure process has already been started. Then they won't accept payments even if it's within the 30 days. The letter states "payment will be accepted within 30 days from RECEIPT of letter".

When you have customer service reps from different departments tell you that you shouldn't be talking to other departments of the bank...that's a red flag right there. I find it very hard to believe that with all the complaints registered (the ones we can see online) with the Consumer Protection Bureau and other sources, this bank is not in a full investigation. When Key took over for First Niagara both mine and my mother's accounts (home equity loans) were all of a sudden 60 past due. Then our checking accounts started getting charged all kinds of overdraft fees.

I documented every time I checked our balances for "available balance". Somehow like clockwork, 2 to 3 days after a deposit is made and showing as part of the "available" balance, you get hit with overdraft fees for any checks or purchases made since the deposit. I was told more than once it was because the deposit was on hold. If that were the case then the deposit wouldn't have shown as part of the available balance. I was told I needed to start taking pictures of the available balance so I have proof. How many people take pictures of their bank accounts! With this bank you would have to do that several times a day because there's no rhyme or reason why they do things. Easy to say get away from this bank. They get you in a corner and you're stuck.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

Key Bank has the worst system, that I have ever dealt with. You have to be a rocket scientist, to figure out all the coding that they use, for your bank account. From 7 p.m, to 7 a.m., you are unable to access a lot of your needed information. Other days, their system is shut down, and you can't get on, at all. Still other times, they will not notify you, if a check has not been cashed. If you have a credit, under a dollar, in your "line of credit", they just take remove it. They are constantly "apologizing", because of their incompetence. I don't want an apology; I want service. Why do they need 12 hours every day to mess up people's accounts? They can probably do that in a much shorter time frame. As I said: "Worst bank, ever".

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Very rude women tellers. Very unwelcoming. Throws your receipt at you, instead of handed to you. Wish I didn't open account with them. I have talk to others customers. They said the same thing about this one particular teller. No manners and no people skills.

Resolution response: Jan. 16, 2018

KeyBank was very attentive to my concerns. My concerns were taken care of immediately

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Unfortunately I left my long term bank. Key Bank had a 200 incentive if you move your account to Key. DON'T FORGET THE FINE PRINT consumers! I bought expensive checks, enrolled in programs and set up mobile banking. Then I get a fee for paper billing. I then inquire as to where my 200 incentive is? It's in the fine print that you don't get promised incentive if you are overdrawn. What a scam. Beware elderly. Begrudgingly give them one ☆.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

If I can encourage anyone out there looking for a bank GO TO YOUR LOCAL BANKS! They have way better service fees and you can also avoid those other nonsense fees. Bank fees here and there add quickly. With Key Bank it’s all about discretion. You can even open a free account without meeting some guidelines. I recommend simple hassle free experience. Key Bank doesn't really give you that experience.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Asking for help when my account was considered blocked. I did nothing wrong. Although I believed a CO. was legitimate. It was not, now I am being looked at as a fraud. I just want an acceptable company who can provide me with a checking account!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I got a Discover personal loan deposited into my Key Bank account. They money has been in the account for almost a month. I do not use this account much, so I wanted the money to sit until I needed it for closing cost on a home and wedding expenses. We went to withdraw some of the funds as a cashier's check to give to the title company at the closing and was told we couldn't get it, that they had to verify where the funds came from. It clearly says an ACH deposit from Discover.

So for 2 weeks now, my account has been restricted. I have faxed in documentation from Discover. I have been hung up on, talked to rudely and given the runaround. The branch that put the restriction on the account says I need to talk to someone named Jamie, someone name Franklin says I need to talk to the branch. The branch manager said he would reach out to Jamie. I call the next day and he says he forgot to do it. They are not telling me how to resolve this. We missed the closing on the house and are now out of money. They do not seem to care. Someone from the executive offices called me. I told her everything and she said she would look into it and that she would be my point of contact. I still have not heard back from her.

How long does it take to call the branch and ask why have you restricted this account and then tell me a solution. Banks hold a check for 7 business days to make sure the funds will clear, this was a deposit of funds from Discover Bank that has been in the account for almost a month. Why do you need to verify the funds? Discover even told me that they have a number that can be called to verify the funds. I have automatic payments set up to pay for the Discover loan that I can't even access, that payment will be due soon. Why does it take two weeks to call and verify funds? They do not care that this money is needed. They DO NOT care about their customers. They play with your finances and lives for no reason at all.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I just opened a business account at Key Bank. The manager, Isaac **, assisted us. The service I received was exceptional. He explained all my options. He answered all my questions and he did not rush me or push me in any direction other than the one I told him I wanted to achieve. Best bank customer service I have ever received. AAA+.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Seems to be a theme with Key Bank. I was charged overdraft fees when they first merged with First Niagra. The transfer of accounts messed up all my bills and I was charged too many overdraft charges to count. They took days to refund them and I owed additional fees to creditors because of their error. Fast Forward to today. Zero overdrafts to date since then. Noticed a low balance on the Key Bank app. Transferred money to cover. 2 days later the transaction ledger was 'edited' to show a charge prior to the charge. Backdating. In addition, the fee was compounded all other debits by adding charges to that. Hard to follow right? After 8 days and 10 overdraft fees, a direct deposit to cover well in excess and 'recurring overdraft' fee for having the overdrafts I was told, "we can't help you."

Understood. The worst part was when I went into the bank on Day 5 to confirm no other charges are pending, they looked me in the eye and said 'we are not showing any pending transactions'. AND not consenting to allowing KeyBank to pay the charges. The following day another 2 overdrafts were on the ledger. One for a check from six weeks prior. Are you kidding me? I am not. The total cost of this ended up being $409. The local bank will do nothing to overturn it or contact the parties needed to overturn it.

I am leaving Key Bank. Especially after being at this same location for over 20 years and multiple acquisitions. They are losing in excess of $6000 in deposits from us personally not to mention the 3 non profit organizations that my wife and I are part of. I will be sure to let everyone know of my experience. 1st time shame on me. Oh well. BUT 11? Seriously? I am currently taking screenshots. This is deceptive practice. Need to change this. If the money isn't there, don't pay it!!! Lastly, I am not part of overdraft and I specifically gave 'NO CONSENT' to pay if my charge exceeds my balance. Onto the OCC to file a complaint and onto the state government of Connecticut and onto the Attorney's and onto the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

We applied for a mortgage with Key Bank and we realized it would be in the words of the loan officer an "uphill battle, but do-able"! After 2 MONTHS of jumping through hoops and providing the underwriter with everything they requested including getting documents from Germany where my husband was stationed translated, paying for an appraiser etc. and getting close to our CLOSING DATE these unprofessional cowards SENT US A AUTO-GENERATED LETTER to let us know we did not get the loan even though we had been in phone contact on an almost daily basis!

The realtor received a phone call as did the seller's realtor that WE did not get the loan, so EVERYONE knew we did not get the loan but US! Until we got the letter 2 days later! How unprofessional is that! We lost not only 2 months of our lives, waiting, stressing, worrying because we were in temporary housing with 4 kids with no heating, a lot of money we had invested for appraisers, downpayment etc. and ended up losing our dream home! Not even so much as a valid explanation and now they won't even return our calls or all of our documents we provided!

On top of that we have had nothing but problems with all other aspects of Key Bank, such as online banking, bill pay (people don't receive their money for 10-14 days AFTER initiating the payment! And not letting us know when changes to our account have been made such as reducing the amount that we can withdraw at an ATM. I have a special account set up for my mother in Germany to access the account per ATM and she depends on being able to withdraw $1000 on the first to pay her bills on time.

I was ASSURED by the branch manager after 2 months of issues that he had permanently raised the limit to $1000 only to find out again today that this was reduced again because of a new policy! AGAIN WITHOUT INFORMING US! And then I am spoken to in a rude manner by the teller because I am clearly upset! Horrible bank! In every aspect!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

We have had nothing but problems with this bank since they took over our old bank. When they took over, they screwed up our account so bad that what they claim to have seen and what we were seeing was two completely different account histories. This caused a conflict with auto bill pay. They then changed to Key Holdings, while still keeping the branches as Key Bank. This again caused issues with auto bill pay, as well as direct deposit. This was also done without notifying their customers. They have changed policies without notification as well as refuse to provide documentation of the policy changes. They have also held direct deposits, and debits for an extended period of time. At times going 2+ weeks, and at one point over a month. We have also found that they have altered the final payment on a loan that was from the previous bank that would cause the loan not to be paid off as required in the terms of the loan.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I’ve had Key Bank since they bought first Niagara. Never had any issues other than charging overdraft fees which are honestly insane. But that’s another story. So I deposited a check and upon realizing it was a scam, called my bank to let them know and ask if they could do anything about it. They said no, just wait they’ll investigate. I said thank you. A few days later, I checked my account, and it was negative the amount the check was written for. I called them and asked about it. They told me to wait until tomorrow for the check to clear. I said, "Fine I’ll check again and call you tomorrow."

SAME THING. They kept putting me on hold, told me to wait, that there was nothing they could do. I told them that was unacceptable, that I’d had to call four different times, and they would have to figure something out. They just told me to go to the branch. I said, "no, I don’t live by a branch anymore otherwise I wouldn’t have been calling you so often." I asked them repeatedly to get rid of the account and they said no. Honestly the worst customer service I have ever experience. I’m so upset.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I have had my Key Bank open for less than 6 months and, somehow, have paid close to $600, if not more, in overdraft fees. According to the branch manager, at the Smoky Hill and Buckley location in Colorado, Key Bank doesn't have "live banking," meaning transactions can be posted days later, depending on how Key Bank feels. I had several transactions, 9 to be exact, that should have been posted and processed on Saturday, when I had a positive balance, instead it was processed 4 days after my account had a few cents in it. So, of course, my account became negative due to these transactions posting days after and my account incurred 9 overdraft fees at $37 each. The branch manager refunded 3 and told me to blast Key Bank on social media so hopefully there is a change but he couldn't do a thing about it, besides be nonchalant and careless. DO NOT BANK AT KEY BANK!!!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I opened an account with Key in March prior to a move to a new state. I had to call them to get them to send me a debit card which was perhaps the first sign of trouble. This past Monday, I received a call from their fraud detection department with the news that someone had attempted to make a fraudulent purchase using my card. This happened once when I was with PNC, so I understand that these things happen and that this is the price we pay for the convenience of using these cards on a regular basis. Unfortunately, things could have been handled in a far more efficient fashion. I was told that it would take 3-5 business days for them to send a new card; it's now Saturday, 6 days after the call. I have no card, and we won't have mail again until Tuesday.

There's no reason for this kind of delay, but what was truly galling was when the account representative gave me the "opportunity" to have a card shipped to me in an expedited fashion for $25, a steep price for a sliver of plastic. I can't help but wonder about the ethics of taking advantage of customers who face these circumstances. Though the representative told me that I could pick up a temporary debit card at a local office, an unspecified error prevented this, so I have no access to my account or the ability to update automatic payments linked to the card until next week. I'm very disappointed with Key's lackadaisical approach to issuing new cards following fraudulent activity and their willingness to charge customers more to expedite the process above.

Key Bank Company Information

www.key.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use