3.32/5

492 Key Bank Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 15, 2019

Key Bank's website has been down for almost 24 hours. When I had to resort to telephone service to transfer funds between two internal Key Bank accounts, they congratulated themselves for not charging me a $3 transaction fee, as if it were an act of generosity. I held for 15 minutes before I even received any customer service by phone. Problems with the website are not new. This is a second rate bank with inadequate technical support and overwhelmed customer service.

Original review: July 12, 2019

I had closed my bank account with Key Bank because there were features that I missed with Chase Bank. With that said I had got a refund from Groupon and they accidentally refunded it to my closed account with Key cause that was the card I purchased the item with. First time I called Key Bank they automatically told me "The account in closed, the funds will be sent back to the merchant within 3 days." After going back and forth several times between the 2 companies, I had Groupon send me confirmation Key had accepted the funds and that they couldn't assist me any longer cause of it. Next time I called Key Bank they told me the same answer and didn't even pull up my account.

The next call after over an hour of being on the phone, the rep said that yes they did receive the funds and a check will be mailed out after 10 business days. After waiting a few weeks I called them back. The male I talked to wouldn't research my policy. Off the bat he said my account is closed and to call Groupon. I explained to him the situation and that I had talked to a rep there who confirmed she saw the transaction had been refunded. He told me that was not true and that no one there could help me. I asked to talk to a supervisor. After him keeping me on hold for more then 30 minutes, he then hung up on me. That all around was the worst customer experience I have ever received. Needless to say it's been more than a month and I still haven't gotten me refund.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 8, 2019

Probably the worse bank in America. You stay away, is in your best interest! Their computer locked me out of my online banking account apparently because I tried to log in from my home country, after months I was doing so. When called the customer service for help they told me I had to go my branch, in Manhattan, only 9 hours flight away, to certify my identity. Or to get a text message on my phone. When I told them that as I am abroad my U.S. number is not working and they could use the email associated to my bank account they simply told me that they do not do that. So I asked if Key Bank would pay for my trip to go certify my identity as this was clearly a mistake their computer did, they said no.

I called 3 times to call with a supervisor. The first time it took forever and I lost the call. The second time there was not supervisor available, and nevertheless, no one of them could ever solve my problem. My only option was to go in person to my branch. However, they would keep me on the intercontinental phone for over 20 minutes to tell me so. Still doubts? Avoid this bank completely!!! They're great at creating problems, over and over and over again but absolutely never to solve one, no either the one they creates to the customers themselves, and when this happens, and I promise you it will, you will on your own to solve the problems they creates you. Incredible! Probably the worse bank in America!

Original review: July 7, 2019

Ahh, I forgot why 10 years ago everyone did not like banks. They make money for their shareholders and care less about their customers. This pathetic excuse of a business should be shut down for their lack of customer care. Shame on you all! Banking shouldn't be some faceless demigod in consumers lives!!

Original review: June 24, 2019

I had paid my loan ahead by a few payments and on-line, the loan kept saying there was no payment due for each month I paid (presumably because I was several months ahead?). So for one month, I skipped a payment. The on-line loan was showing no payment due for several months out. Except, on the day after the payment is normally due, I start getting late notices. What!?! I have been making my payments all along and even extra ones. So I call customer service who cannot help me. I call the bank directly but re-directed back to customer service. I decided to immediately make a payment. Except the on-line account is telling me no payment is due!?! Somehow I forced it to take my payment. I will make a payment every single month no matter what but my account is still showing my next payment is due 3 months from now.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Key Bank?

Original review: June 21, 2019

Incompetent amateurs!! Returned 4 payments made on bill pay with Key Bank and can't explain why. Finally had to set up account for our bank to make the payments. People will not listen to the customer and act like you are a liar. Given 30 days notice insurance was due but failed to make the payment from escrow. Our insurance was cancelled and we were not covered for 12 days because of their mistake! Then they sent us a letter saying they were going to assign us insurance. Stupid people! You were the ones who didn't pay it. Can't tell me why they didn't pay it just like they couldn't tell me why they returned payments. Beyond reprehensible actions from any company!!

Original review: June 16, 2019

My bank sold out to Key Bank a year ago and I am more than dissatisfied with the Internet banking. Transactions take days to post and the order transactions post changes hourly. One cannot get an accurate balance from their online system. I bet they generate a lot of overdraft fees this way. I have several accounts with other banks and Key Bank is by far the worst. I've had transactions take so long to post that I've had to call businesses to make sure they received my e-payment on time because it was never posted until three days later. This fraudulent behavior is unacceptable and will be reported to the attorney general.

Original review: June 9, 2019

They couldn't even properly update my address on file, they've sent sensitive information and debit cards to an unsecure address, they asked a series of intimate questions that lasted over a half hour on two separate occasions to update my payment profile address and unsuccessfully removed the old address, their lazy reps just added an address. My card was involved in a breach and they refuse to disclose where or when, after a month I still have no access to my funds electronically and they again sent the debit card to an old address after charging 25 dollars two separate times to overnight my card, again they overnighted it to the wrong address twice. This company is a sham.

Original review: June 4, 2019

There are no Key Bank locations in Florida so I took my money to a credit union and I am so glad to rid myself of all the maintenance fees and ridiculous overdraft charges. It was a big hassle to close my account and I am very dissatisfied with Key Bank.

Original review: June 2, 2019

Well I, unfortunately, went to set up an account, checking account to be exact, with KeyBank and when I'm in the branch setting up the account one of the employees recommended I set up two checking accounts so I have one checking account to use for everyday purchases, so that if something were to go wrong like somebody getting ahold of my information, that it would only affect that account! So I set up the second checking account, under his recommendation, to put the most of my money into and transfer as needed to the other account, the one I use for my daily purchases!!!

Well that was a huge mistake because somebody did, SUPPOSEDLY, get a hold of my information and now my account is almost $400 overdrawn for transactions that don't even show on my transaction history! They gave me some explanation, when I called, about some company, I've never heard of, (which it may or may not be accurate) charging my account! But I don't understand why it doesn't show on my statement or my account transactions?

So they recommended I shut that account down! So okay, I agreed to shut that account and I clarified multiple times with the lady I spoke with that only that account I had with them, the one for the everyday purchases which is my or was my hassle free account checking account, would be shut down and I verified that card number that was linked to that account was okay to get rid of and shred! I also clearly asked her, many times, if my other checking account would be affected and my card linked to my other checking account. She clarified and stress the importance of that account would not be affected!!!

Later that day I'm going to go order food and pay for it and my card is declined. So I just said to myself well be maybe I got the cards mixed up 'cause I hadn't shredded the "CLOSED" account card yet! But that card was also declined. So once again I call KeyBank customer service and now I'm told I have to wait 3 days for my account card to be active again! Which it should never have been inactive.

I'm leaving this bank, this is a bunch of bulduky! I don't even know where that crappy charge came from to begin with, that they say happened... with whatever some company at HS company (is all they can give me information on the supposed charge)! But that all set aside, my other account should never even been touched, closed, nothing! I can't get to my money now because I don't have access to a card that works and it's Sunday today and I'm so irate. I'm like seriously in tears right now. So I do not recommend this bank to anybody nor will I ever even look at this bank again let alone go to them for any kind of a bank account, anything, checking, cashing checks. This is the worst bank I've ever heard of in my entire life.

Original review: June 1, 2019

I have been investing in real estate since I was 19. I am 65 now. I have had the opportunity to deal with many banking institutions over the years but this one is the absolute worse one to deal with. They act more like a property manager instead of a bank. Once a year they inspect the property and determine if your property is average, above average or below average. They make a list of recommendations that they expect to be fine. In my case, they found a few cracks in my sidewalk and they felt it needed to be replaced. They determined that my brand new brass door knobs were unsafe. They insisted that I change them all to lever style door knobs. They determined that there were too many leaves in my gutters and I needed to clean out my gutters. I think the bank should only concern themselves with lending money for loans and ensuring that the loan payments get paid on time.

None of my payments have ever been late. However, once or twice a year they want a copy of my operating statement of income and expenses and a rent roll. No big deal, until you take your time to respond for their request for these statements. Apparently my loan documents allow them to charge $500 per month late fee for every month it takes for me to get them these documents. I authorized them to electronically debit my account every month for my normal payment and they just help themselves to this $500/month fee until I get around to responding. This is just bad business practices. If I would have known, I would have never gotten the loan from them. I then thought about getting a loan elsewhere. Now they are going to hit me with a 10% of loan amount prepayment penalty. Stay away from this bank. They are evil and bad. They could care less if you are unsatisfied.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I left Key Bank over a year ago. I closed my account and took all my money to a credit union. Then last week, they hit me with a ton of overdraft fees. The reason is that Netflix still had my card on file and kept trying to bill it. My account was closed, they shredded my card, everything was closed. No, not Key Bank. They kept my account open and started charging overdraft fees over not even $20 worth of Netflix bills until I "owed them" almost $250 dollars! Worst Bank Ever!!!

Anyone that uses them is an idiot. Go to a credit union, do yourself a favor. If you open an account, or have a loan, they will figure out new and interesting ways to bend you over. The worst part is they'll take you to court or put it on your credit report and we have no recourse whatsoever. They just did it to me, and my credit score went from over a 700 to a 653!!! I will figure out every way I can for the rest of my life to get back at them. They're not a bank, they're the mafia.

Original review: May 16, 2019

Their online banking signup site claimed 3-5 business days to send a Debit card. Apparently that's a typo for 3-5 Weeks, because in two days we will have reached 21 days with no receipt of said card. When I complained last week, I suggested they rush the card. This was 5 days ago. I was told they would get it to me quickly, and no fee was mentioned. This morning I was charged $25 and still no card received.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I had issues with my account and went to a local branch to get some help/resolution. In the presence, the relationship manager emailed the district/regional manager asking for help on my behalf. That manager called me and left me one voice message 2 days later. I called her back twice AND sent her a email using the contact information on the card she gave me. I posted on social media. Someone from “expert help” reached out to me asking for details. I sent an extensive email with every issue from the onset. I have yet to hear back from any one at local or corporate level. Their own financial well-being is beyond the importance of any customer. I am completely disgusted. I wouldn’t wish this bank on my worst enemy.

Original review: May 1, 2019

Much like everyone else my account was fraudulently charged. They are still sitting on my money 10 days later. I got a letter that said they closed my account, so I called customer service and they said, "Oh no ma'am. It's still open and active." Every person I have talked to has zero clue. I have spent countless hours on hold and still have no resolution. I wouldn't wish this bank on my worst enemy. To the ONE person that wrote a positive review. Consider yourself lucky and I hope you never have an issue because you will quickly change your opinion. I am not a competitor, just a hardworking single mom that can't pay her rent because they won't give me my own money! Top Notch security? What a joke!

Original review: April 27, 2019

Horrible Customer Service. I am signed up for account alerts. They waited five days to alert me that I had overdrawn a few dollars. Meanwhile sticking it to me with fee after fee. When I called them on the fact that they waited 5 days to alert me, they couldn't give me a straight answer. I threatened to close my account and they told me there would be a $25 fee for that too because my account wasn't that old.

Original review: April 20, 2019

I signed up for the latitude credit card in November 2017 because I received a promotion in the mail stating "$0 / 0% balance transfer fee". I decided to to it and transfer another credit limit over. Well I paid off the balance last week which was approx $4500.00. The next day an automatic payment of $100 was still taken out. I called and she said she would transfer the money back into my checking (great) but I would have to go into a local branch to fill out a form to cancel the automatic payments (weird). So the next day I go to my local branch and I am there for about an hour. The Key Bank employee ended up calling the Key Bank center and in fact we could do it online (annoying!). A few days ago I log onto my account and see an $11.39 interest charge on my latitude card.

I called and spoke with a rude man named SOLOMON And stated it was a remaining balance a 3% interest charge that was charged on the 1500.00 I had transferred over in Nov of 2017. So I got back to my first statement ever in November and see they charged me $60 For a "fee". I questioned this and asked what it was and he chuckled and said something under his breath. I asked him what he has said. He says “I said, you’re just seeing this charge now?" And chuckles again (rude!). He then told me that the $60 was the total 3% interest change, to which I replied that could not be correct because 3% of $1500.00 is $45. SOLOMON then didn’t know what to say and stuttered a little bit. I was on the phone for over an hour and then spoke to Judy, which was nicer but she still did not help me at all. I will be switching banks.

Original review: April 16, 2019

This has been the worst experience I’ve had with a bank. Will never do business with them again. After faxing in multiple forms to set up automatic bank draft, and it not working (this should be able to be achieved with a phone call), automatic draft was finally set up. Except it started drafting twice my payment amount. So now it’s on me again to fax in another form and pray that it works out. I’ve never worked so hard to allow a company to take my money, and have them make it this difficult. Once this loan is paid off, I will never, ever, do business here again.

Original review: April 8, 2019

First of all I was told the interest rate over the phone and then went to sign the papers and it was higher than what was promised. Then there was a problem with obtaining the funds when I got to the bank to pick up the check! Had to go wait out in my car while these idiots figured it out. I had just worked a night shift the night before and was told it would be a "smooth process" because the bank manager sent me to that particular branch because his “buddy” was there and would take care of me. Didn’t happen! Then of course when I tried to contact the bank manager he wouldn’t return any of my calls! If I wasn’t so tired I would have told them to stick their check where the sun doesn’t shine. I will never ever do business with them again and am trying to pay off my loan as quick as possible.

Original review: April 4, 2019

Key Bank continues to lock my account for no reason online. They will charge you for paper statement and make sure that you will not get access online to your account. They keep rising prices for checks. I will go somewhere else.

Original review: March 26, 2019

Fraud. Took my $500. I was looking through my online statements. Saw a fraud use of my debit card to someone in California. 9 days later, I still don't have my provisional credit. They say still investigating. I have been a customer for 14 years. Not acceptable.

Original review: March 25, 2019

I received a text that there was fraud on my account. I was told it would be resolved within 10 days. We are now at day 12 and they gave a provision credit for the money taken. However this put my account in the negative. They will not give me these dees back until they get their money from the retailer where the fraud occurred. I had $14 in the account at the time this fraud took place and I had opted out of overdraft. No one can explain how this happened. Seems they are having issues. If they can't refund overdraft fees that was their fault to begin with. Now I am being told it could be 45 days before I get all my money back. Plus I sent an email one week ago with no response. Time to find another bank.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I wasn't even aware that key had placed a complete hold on my account. I'm still not sure why. But feel I should have at least gotten a notification. I have had my account for a while now and have never had any issues.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I recently had my Key Bank Master Card compromised and had to request a replacement card. Unfortunately, these things happen and credit cards need to be replaced. What is ridiculous is that when I requested and received a new card, all of my Key Bank statements disappeared from the online system. I signed on to pull a statement from 2018 and every one of them was gone.

When I called, they said it was because I had a new credit card issued to me and they could not tie my previous statements to the new card number. Even though I have the same account number with Key that I've always had, and still have, they can no longer link my statements together. Knowing that people have credit cards lost or stolen all the time and therefore need to get replacements. It is shocking that a financial institution in our world today does not have a system that can accommodate this scenario. All customer service can say is "Sorry. If you would like, We can mail you a statement for six dollars." What? They should be sending me my statements at no cost! Get with the program Key Bank!

Original review: March 6, 2019

15 days ago my insurance company issued a check to pay off my car that was totaled in an accident. (I'm fine, thanks for asking :-)). The check still hasn't been applied, meanwhile I have been accruing interest at the rate of approximately $4.00 per day. They claim that the interest will be removed and backdated to the day the check was received. We'll see about that. I was on the phone with a wonderful customer service rep named Stacy, who seemed to be getting to the bottom of it, when I was suddenly transferred back to a "please press one"... menu. I was hoping she'd call me back, but no such luck. I may update this review when the matter is settled.

Original review: March 5, 2019

My family is trying to sell our apartments which have a Key Bank assumable loan on them. The contract was signed in September, 2018 and the process was begun with the bank to transfer the loan. Over 5 months later, Key Bank has still not approved the loan and no one in the bank has any authority to make it happen. Our buyer had a like-kind exchange that was lost due to the delays. Every month, we call for an update. The processor states that they need more paperwork- which ends up being a new financial statement for the month that just ended. Is there a banking commission that Key Bank can be turned into? It seems that the bank is trying not to allow the assumption of the loan (due to its low rate) and by delaying, the sale will not go through. Where can we get help?

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

Paid payment before on 15th of month due to illness of family out of state. On my statement under payment it stated late charge of $10 would be assessed if paid after the 16th of the month. Even though I received confirmation that payment was accepted on the 15th, I was charged the late fee because it did not post the day it was paid but 3 days later. I contacted Keybank customer service and this is the answer I received. They need to changed their statement. Not happy with them at all.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

Honestly, there are way too many issues to state here that I've experienced. My main issues have been with their hidden fees, discretionary use on when they decide to charge overdrafts and lastly how they batch the order of transactions to their benefit, which I thought was illegal. We have tested the order of debit transaction several times and screenshot before and after photos from when it was accurate, to when it was manipulated later in the day (very common).

We have made had several trips to the bank with evidence, stating facts of their terms & conditions, etc. Luckily, to have the some of the Bank Tellers fix issues such as; refund excessive overdraft charges, clear the mysterious "atm fee" charges (we only use Key Bank atm's) reverse unwarranted holds on funds, and more... Lots of work with this bank, in my experience. Their system seems flawed, it's scary and I won't be using them too much longer.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

It is now one year since I opened a simple account. I cannot access it online. Do not get any statements. I have visited the bank 2 times and called 4 times and no resolution. No callback. No letters. I do have access to the ATM but I cannot remove anything or deposit anything.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Every time I go to use my card there is a block put on my card. I have been with this bank for years and all of a sudden this occurs. So what you know is available to you and after you call customer service and lied to, is very embarrassing. I know my deposits as well as my transaction history. I would not advise anyone to bank with the lying customer service they have answering their phones. Discussion over your own account to be blocked is degrading! Think twice. You can’t even get a family member to send you cash because it’s suspect! Truly an inconvenience. How do they expect your life and time is resolved around mess like this!!! “DON’T BANK KEY BANK“!

Key Bank Company Information