Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.33/5

Key Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Key Bank?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Key Bank?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

I enjoy banking with Key Bank. The tellers are very nice. The hours are constant for me. Saturday hours are a plus. They are about 2 miles from my house. I use the night drop when I need to deposit after hours.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

Banks are so not personal, and my bank Manager Christine knows me and my needs and she has allowed a financial relationship that has been so important to my financial needs. She has helped with new products for myself and family members. This is a great bank.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 10, 2020

I’m doing this review for my mom it’s based solely on unemployment benefits using the key2benefit debit card. The first couple of weeks everything was smooth then about 2 weeks ago her card stop working...She couldn’t withdraw funds and if she try to make a purchase it says decline. It was so confusing because we were looking at the card activity and there was nothing suspicious (thank god). We called customer service trying to get some answers and after waiting on hold for 45 mins the call disconnect. My mom freaked out lol and added her bank information to have it switched, we called back 2 days later and got hold of someone within 10 mins the guy was super polite and helpful. He said we can wait 7 days for a replacement card or pay $15 for 3 days that’s until he notice there was a DISPUTE CHARGE on my mom card and he couldn’t process the replacement.

We spoke with a rep from the claims DEPT. and she asked if my mom was aware of a charge, she said yes and the woman unlocked my mom card which she was able to use within 5 mins. I am sorry to all the people that is having trouble accessing their funds especially in a time like this. I would say this company is serious with privacy and if there’s a unknown transaction on your card, it will lock unless you call to confirm you're aware. I took 1 star away because there could have been some sort of communication letting my mom know her card was lock because of a dispute charge. Other than that I will recommend using if you’re on unemployment. God is good. Blessings to everyone.

Original review: May 22, 2020

KeyBank has been stealing. I been doing some shopping on Amazon. KeyBank takes off the money, puts it on hold, never Releases it so amazon takes out money off of my account and the money that was on hold never gets returned to my account. KeyBank steals it...and when you call they tell me Talk to amazon about it.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2020

Leave it to Illinois to hire this company to take care of people’s unemployment benefits... The company has no regard for the fact they have people’s livelihood at stake. The customer service is absolutely unacceptable. The mail comes always late. I’m currently on hold waiting for a rep for 57 minutes!!!! This is because the last two reps gave me misinformation because again they seem to not care that people’s livelihoods are at stake. This company is absolutely ridiculous. It is seriously mind blowing how incompetent they are.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2020

My KeyBank journey has been frustrating, to say the least: I opened an account 4/2/20 with a sign-up bonus and called KeyBank customer service afterward to ensure I met all of the terms. At that time they told me I had and to give it 60-90 days to appear on my account. I called back after that time only to be told that I had not fulfilled all of the terms and to go into a branch to appeal. I went into a branch 8/26 and they said there was nothing they could do. I called KeyBank customer service back and they said the best they could do would be to look up the call recording in April when I was misinformed, but it was probably erased. They said they would call back and never did.

All the while, on the same account I called 7/24 to dispute a maintenance fee. They refunded the fee and reminded me to pay mortgage directly from account and direct deposit every month, which I have been doing. Had to call back 9/29 because they deducted maintenance payment for August and September again. At that time they said I haven’t fulfilled the terms because I haven’t set up ACH, only payment transfer payment. I was upset this wasn’t explained to me when I called 7/24 and they waived the September fee but couldn’t waive August because they couldn’t see it in their system. So, not only did the misinformation from the customer service team help me lose out on my sign-up bonus, it has also cost me in maintenance fees. I will be closing my account.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2020

If I could give them negative stars I would. First sent it to the wrong address. Then took an Act of God to get another card sent after being on hold for hours and days and dealing with rude customer service agents who didn’t seem to care and hung up on me multiple times. Now have 3 pending hotel incidental charges that were released by hotels almost a months ago and still haven’t returned to balance. Dont put this card on file anywhere for incidentals or deposits. Could really use that $300, Key. You suck.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

I opened an account a couple months ago, drawn in by the $200 bonus for setting up direct deposit. We've had nothing but issues with this bank. When you order groceries online, and the total charges change (they didn't have a product, or they substituted with a lower price), they remove the initial charge and recharge you the correct amount. Unlike our last bank, which just updates the charge, Key removes the charge, waits a day or two, takes the money out, waits another day, then the charge shows up on the transaction list.

Are you relying on a direct deposit? Be prepared to wait. Sometimes it's there when I wake up Monday morning, sometimes it's there later in the morning, and right now, it's not there at all. My deposit is split to two accounts. The other bank has my direct deposit. Key has neither my or my husbands paycheck. My pay stub says it was sent to the correct account. It's not my work, my husband's work. It's the bank.

Need to use the ATM? Be prepared to pay fees constantly. There is only two Keybanks "near" me. I used a "surcharge-free" ATM labelled as an Allpoint ATM at a gas station three times. No fees come out right away from Key so I figured I'm good to go. Nope, here we are this morning and a $15 fee hits my account when I only have $4 available at the time, waiting for my paycheck to hit before my last charge posts so I don't get hit with a $34 overdraft fee. Apparently they charge the fees all at once for the month before. The fee schedule says it will hit at the end of the statement cycle. It's the 18th.

I constantly monitor our bank account. We used to be homeless, so money is something I keep tight control over. If you like to see an accurate display of what you have at any given time, Key is not the bank for you. If you like to have your paycheck on time every week, Key is not the bank for you. If you want 24 hour customer service, Key is not the bank for you. If you don't like paying fees to get access to your own money, Key is not the bank for you. And lastly, if you don't want to wait DAYS for a check from your 401K to be cleared when you are desperate after having a lower amount of funds due to a global pandemic, Key is not the bank for you. I am closing my account out ASAP.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2020

This is my third time writing a one star review. I started receiving my unemployment money through Keybank just before the summer started and I’ve had to call customer service well over 10 times for different problems. I recently misplaced my card so I reported it lost. Because my card was lost keybank signed me out of my key2benefits online account. I then waited over a week for my new card to be sent and when I got it I tried to sign it up to a new online account and was not able to. I then called customer service and waited 45 mins for them to answer and ask me all the same questions they’ve asked me the other 10 times.

When they realized I was doing everything the correct way, the employee told me she couldn’t do anything to help me because there’s a problem on their end that won’t let people sign up for an account a second time, even though they sent me a second card. Now I either have to drive 2 hours away out of state to get my money out of a keybank atm (because there’s none in my state) or pay the fee to take the money out of a different atm.

Since I got the card I’ve felt like keybank just tries to scam you out of the largest percentage of your money that they can. I’m only writing this review because I feel like it’s the only thing I can do so they don’t completely get away with it. I also hope that somebody reads this or the hundreds of other one star reviews before they agree to send their money into keybank and decides against it. I’ve never been this stressed out due to a corporation and until they get shut down they will just keep trying to get over on people. If you have any other option, choose that option! Worst experience of my life with any company.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

I took out a home mortgage 15 months ago with KeyBank. The house is worth three times what the mortgage is, by the Bank's own appraisal. 3 months ago I had hail damage to my roof for which our insurance company wrote me a check. The check has KeyBank my name and my wife's name on it and I went to the local branch on Grand Island to get them to sign off on the check, the branch manager refused. I then requested the check to be put on the mortgage and the branch manager refused, the district manager for all of Western New York refused, and the regional President for Western New York refused to accept the check for the mortgage. Unbelievable!

The Consumer complaint division for the President of the company All refused to accept the check to be put toward the mortgage. They said we will only accept the check to be placed into an escrow account with nominal interest, until the mortgage is paid in 14 years, or the roof is replaced. There is no requirement by the insurance company to fix the roof. There is no leaking or damage sustained that compromises the integrity of the house. They said the reason for their decision is proprietary information and will not be written down or shared with the consumer. At best, horrible customer service at worst, a money grab by Keybank.

Key Bank Company Information