3.35/5

481 Key Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 17, 2019

I left Key Bank over a year ago. I closed my account and took all my money to a credit union. Then last week, they hit me with a ton of overdraft fees. The reason is that Netflix still had my card on file and kept trying to bill it. My account was closed, they shredded my card, everything was closed. No, not Key Bank. They kept my account open and started charging overdraft fees over not even $20 worth of Netflix bills until I "owed them" almost $250 dollars! Worst Bank Ever!!!

Anyone that uses them is an idiot. Go to a credit union, do yourself a favor. If you open an account, or have a loan, they will figure out new and interesting ways to bend you over. The worst part is they'll take you to court or put it on your credit report and we have no recourse whatsoever. They just did it to me, and my credit score went from over a 700 to a 653!!! I will figure out every way I can for the rest of my life to get back at them. They're not a bank, they're the mafia.

Original review: May 16, 2019

Their online banking signup site claimed 3-5 business days to send a Debit card. Apparently that's a typo for 3-5 Weeks, because in two days we will have reached 21 days with no receipt of said card. When I complained last week, I suggested they rush the card. This was 5 days ago. I was told they would get it to me quickly, and no fee was mentioned. This morning I was charged $25 and still no card received.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 8, 2019

I had issues with my account and went to a local branch to get some help/resolution. In the presence, the relationship manager emailed the district/regional manager asking for help on my behalf. That manager called me and left me one voice message 2 days later. I called her back twice AND sent her a email using the contact information on the card she gave me. I posted on social media. Someone from “expert help” reached out to me asking for details. I sent an extensive email with every issue from the onset. I have yet to hear back from any one at local or corporate level. Their own financial well-being is beyond the importance of any customer. I am completely disgusted. I wouldn’t wish this bank on my worst enemy.

Original review: May 1, 2019

Much like everyone else my account was fraudulently charged. They are still sitting on my money 10 days later. I got a letter that said they closed my account, so I called customer service and they said, "Oh no ma'am. It's still open and active." Every person I have talked to has zero clue. I have spent countless hours on hold and still have no resolution. I wouldn't wish this bank on my worst enemy. To the ONE person that wrote a positive review. Consider yourself lucky and I hope you never have an issue because you will quickly change your opinion. I am not a competitor, just a hardworking single mom that can't pay her rent because they won't give me my own money! Top Notch security? What a joke!

Original review: April 27, 2019

Horrible Customer Service. I am signed up for account alerts. They waited five days to alert me that I had overdrawn a few dollars. Meanwhile sticking it to me with fee after fee. When I called them on the fact that they waited 5 days to alert me, they couldn't give me a straight answer. I threatened to close my account and they told me there would be a $25 fee for that too because my account wasn't that old.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Key Bank?

Original review: April 20, 2019

I signed up for the latitude credit card in November 2017 because I received a promotion in the mail stating "$0 / 0% balance transfer fee". I decided to to it and transfer another credit limit over. Well I paid off the balance last week which was approx $4500.00. The next day an automatic payment of $100 was still taken out. I called and she said she would transfer the money back into my checking (great) but I would have to go into a local branch to fill out a form to cancel the automatic payments (weird). So the next day I go to my local branch and I am there for about an hour. The Key Bank employee ended up calling the Key Bank center and in fact we could do it online (annoying!). A few days ago I log onto my account and see an $11.39 interest charge on my latitude card.

I called and spoke with a rude man named SOLOMON And stated it was a remaining balance a 3% interest charge that was charged on the 1500.00 I had transferred over in Nov of 2017. So I got back to my first statement ever in November and see they charged me $60 For a "fee". I questioned this and asked what it was and he chuckled and said something under his breath. I asked him what he has said. He says “I said, you’re just seeing this charge now?" And chuckles again (rude!). He then told me that the $60 was the total 3% interest change, to which I replied that could not be correct because 3% of $1500.00 is $45. SOLOMON then didn’t know what to say and stuttered a little bit. I was on the phone for over an hour and then spoke to Judy, which was nicer but she still did not help me at all. I will be switching banks.

Original review: April 16, 2019

This has been the worst experience I’ve had with a bank. Will never do business with them again. After faxing in multiple forms to set up automatic bank draft, and it not working (this should be able to be achieved with a phone call), automatic draft was finally set up. Except it started drafting twice my payment amount. So now it’s on me again to fax in another form and pray that it works out. I’ve never worked so hard to allow a company to take my money, and have them make it this difficult. Once this loan is paid off, I will never, ever, do business here again.

Original review: April 8, 2019

First of all I was told the interest rate over the phone and then went to sign the papers and it was higher than what was promised. Then there was a problem with obtaining the funds when I got to the bank to pick up the check! Had to go wait out in my car while these idiots figured it out. I had just worked a night shift the night before and was told it would be a "smooth process" because the bank manager sent me to that particular branch because his “buddy” was there and would take care of me. Didn’t happen! Then of course when I tried to contact the bank manager he wouldn’t return any of my calls! If I wasn’t so tired I would have told them to stick their check where the sun doesn’t shine. I will never ever do business with them again and am trying to pay off my loan as quick as possible.

Original review: April 4, 2019

Key Bank continues to lock my account for no reason online. They will charge you for paper statement and make sure that you will not get access online to your account. They keep rising prices for checks. I will go somewhere else.

Original review: March 26, 2019

Fraud. Took my $500. I was looking through my online statements. Saw a fraud use of my debit card to someone in California. 9 days later, I still don't have my provisional credit. They say still investigating. I have been a customer for 14 years. Not acceptable.

Original review: March 25, 2019

I received a text that there was fraud on my account. I was told it would be resolved within 10 days. We are now at day 12 and they gave a provision credit for the money taken. However this put my account in the negative. They will not give me these dees back until they get their money from the retailer where the fraud occurred. I had $14 in the account at the time this fraud took place and I had opted out of overdraft. No one can explain how this happened. Seems they are having issues. If they can't refund overdraft fees that was their fault to begin with. Now I am being told it could be 45 days before I get all my money back. Plus I sent an email one week ago with no response. Time to find another bank.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I wasn't even aware that key had placed a complete hold on my account. I'm still not sure why. But feel I should have at least gotten a notification. I have had my account for a while now and have never had any issues.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I recently had my Key Bank Master Card compromised and had to request a replacement card. Unfortunately, these things happen and credit cards need to be replaced. What is ridiculous is that when I requested and received a new card, all of my Key Bank statements disappeared from the online system. I signed on to pull a statement from 2018 and every one of them was gone.

When I called, they said it was because I had a new credit card issued to me and they could not tie my previous statements to the new card number. Even though I have the same account number with Key that I've always had, and still have, they can no longer link my statements together. Knowing that people have credit cards lost or stolen all the time and therefore need to get replacements. It is shocking that a financial institution in our world today does not have a system that can accommodate this scenario. All customer service can say is "Sorry. If you would like, We can mail you a statement for six dollars." What? They should be sending me my statements at no cost! Get with the program Key Bank!

Original review: March 6, 2019

15 days ago my insurance company issued a check to pay off my car that was totaled in an accident. (I'm fine, thanks for asking :-)). The check still hasn't been applied, meanwhile I have been accruing interest at the rate of approximately $4.00 per day. They claim that the interest will be removed and backdated to the day the check was received. We'll see about that. I was on the phone with a wonderful customer service rep named Stacy, who seemed to be getting to the bottom of it, when I was suddenly transferred back to a "please press one"... menu. I was hoping she'd call me back, but no such luck. I may update this review when the matter is settled.

Original review: March 5, 2019

My family is trying to sell our apartments which have a Key Bank assumable loan on them. The contract was signed in September, 2018 and the process was begun with the bank to transfer the loan. Over 5 months later, Key Bank has still not approved the loan and no one in the bank has any authority to make it happen. Our buyer had a like-kind exchange that was lost due to the delays. Every month, we call for an update. The processor states that they need more paperwork- which ends up being a new financial statement for the month that just ended. Is there a banking commission that Key Bank can be turned into? It seems that the bank is trying not to allow the assumption of the loan (due to its low rate) and by delaying, the sale will not go through. Where can we get help?

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

Paid payment before on 15th of month due to illness of family out of state. On my statement under payment it stated late charge of $10 would be assessed if paid after the 16th of the month. Even though I received confirmation that payment was accepted on the 15th, I was charged the late fee because it did not post the day it was paid but 3 days later. I contacted Keybank customer service and this is the answer I received. They need to changed their statement. Not happy with them at all.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

Honestly, there are way too many issues to state here that I've experienced. My main issues have been with their hidden fees, discretionary use on when they decide to charge overdrafts and lastly how they batch the order of transactions to their benefit, which I thought was illegal. We have tested the order of debit transaction several times and screenshot before and after photos from when it was accurate, to when it was manipulated later in the day (very common).

We have made had several trips to the bank with evidence, stating facts of their terms & conditions, etc. Luckily, to have the some of the Bank Tellers fix issues such as; refund excessive overdraft charges, clear the mysterious "atm fee" charges (we only use Key Bank atm's) reverse unwarranted holds on funds, and more... Lots of work with this bank, in my experience. Their system seems flawed, it's scary and I won't be using them too much longer.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

It is now one year since I opened a simple account. I cannot access it online. Do not get any statements. I have visited the bank 2 times and called 4 times and no resolution. No callback. No letters. I do have access to the ATM but I cannot remove anything or deposit anything.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Every time I go to use my card there is a block put on my card. I have been with this bank for years and all of a sudden this occurs. So what you know is available to you and after you call customer service and lied to, is very embarrassing. I know my deposits as well as my transaction history. I would not advise anyone to bank with the lying customer service they have answering their phones. Discussion over your own account to be blocked is degrading! Think twice. You can’t even get a family member to send you cash because it’s suspect! Truly an inconvenience. How do they expect your life and time is resolved around mess like this!!! “DON’T BANK KEY BANK“!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I received a check for a service made out to cash from a Key Bank. So, I took it to a local Key Bank to cash. It was there I found out that to negotiate a check from Key Bank at a Key Bank would require payment of a $7.50 fee! I was dumbfounded and struck mute! They charge for negotiating their own check! I would never patronize any business with such a fee structure meant solely to gouge customers.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Key Bank is a joke. Only reason I signed up with them 9 years ago is because my dad was a long time member there and it was close. They will let you keep using your debit card 10 times before they tell you that you're overdrawn and then add $37.50 to each overdrawn transaction. Then they will overdraft you more for being overdrawn. Kick me while I'm already down. Customer members speak very poor English. Started a Roth IRA there 3 years ago and it LOST money so I withdrew it. Never had a good experience with Key. Too many fees, just not a good bank at all. Currently closing all my accounts and switching.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I had just moved to Anacortes, Wa. Also I had been doing business with Umpqua Bank for 20 plus years. I needed a local bank as the nearest Umpqua was over an hour's drive. I chose Key bank. Yesterday, in Texas, there was an attempt by a person to pass a bogus check drawn on my account for $4000. Umpqua Bank needed to close my account but I am 70 years old & on social security. I could not have them close my account. Also, there have been frequent snow storms in Anacortes/ Bellingham area and so it was not safe to drive. I needed a fax so I could fix the situation with my Umpqua Bank. I had my account @ Key Bank and called the staff and asked permission to use their fax the next morning for 3 minutes. It would be safe for me in Key Bank. The staff gave me permission to come in & use the fax for a minute or so the next morning.

This morning I came in & after some minutes was approached by the manager. I feel that she was too aggressive and unkind to me. She said that the problem was not with Key Bank but with my other bank. I agreed & apologized. I explained that the staff gave me permission the day before. I was a Key Bank customer & this was my hometown and I wanted a safe place to fax. I repeated that I was given permission the day before. She argued & I continued to defend my position. I asked for a private room to discuss it. She said no. I was embarrassed & humiliated as other customers were now forming a line behind me. This manager in a loud voice told me to leave & go to UPS. I am new in town & didn't know where one was. A snow storm was on the way and I am 70 years old & new in town and unfamiliar with the roads.

Also I made a special trip to Key Bank to use their fax as it was an emergency and I was frightened. AND I was given permission to use it the day before. Shame on this manager. This unprofessional & mean behavior was not necessary. I went to UPS. It took 37 seconds to send the fax. That's all it would have taken for this manager to help me. I feel that she should have reprimanded her colleagues and not me in such a loud, insulting & public way. I have closed my account. I will NEVER return to Key Bank.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Very disappointed with Key Bank. When I inquired about draft protections they told me to sign up for a line of credit. I did, then got hit with a $50 annual fee. When I asked, they told me no, you should do a draft protection plan on which they take money from savings to cover fees of potentially overdrafting on my checking. (free) Now I’m getting charged with $18 per month for monthly maintenance fee? One thing after another with these guys. Ridiculous.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

Marketing offers - this bank running a scam to offer up to $300 if open a new account. They sent a promotion offer to my address and I opened a new bank account. Once I completed the all eligibility and time frame. They send me a e-mail that this offer is not valid in your area. So, It's totally fraud.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

Each time I called to cancel my account which should have been an easy process was made stressful and drawn out by Key Bank's customer representatives. They did not speak English well. Spoke too fast for you to understand them and didn't seem to understand English well either. Extremely frustrating. Would not recommend Key banking to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Key Bank is a bank that makes frauds, my sister sent the payments of the house and having the receipts, Key Bank sent a letter supposedly 4 months are due and they put the house in foreclosed. Sincerely this bank are robbers.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

My mother passed away and was an account holder with KIS. After her death, I requested beneficiary claims paperwork on 12/17/18 and was told they would send the documents to me immediately. I have never received the documents and have been told twice that they must have been lost in the mail. I have left several messages and have not had a return call as requested. I am now filing complaints with the SEC and FINRA.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

There should be a rating with NEGATIVE STARS. If so, this bank would be a five negative star. I'm not upset as I'm writing this. I'm calm. My company account with over half a million dollars of federal funds for a rural electrification project straight from the US Treasury was closed with NO NOTICE except an email that says "As requested, your account is closed." We did not ask for the account to be closed. The branch manager stated he only found out when I wrote him and after I called him n times. The customer relationship person was on leave. After a dozen calls to the national Customer Service, Customer I.D. and Financial Wellness on several numbers and half a dozen representatives over 24 mad hours I was told that a letter was "found." The letter could not be sent to me via email to view.

The letter was dated 3 months earlier in October 2018 and had been mailed. I said I did not receive ANY NOTICE. I was told only the bank branch manager knew the reason for closure and could Print out the letter! (The attitude of the customer service people is in retrospect just juvenile, "Oh ah can't do that..." That's sort of it. "Oh ok let me put you on hold..." About 10 minutes later... "Oh yeah it's another department let me transfer you.") The branch manager finally wrote a brief email saying that all he found out was that the account was closed because the relationship posed a risk. (During account setup, we provided all the required original legal documentation for the company and personnel, all the funds deposited in the account were US treasury or government funds.) The account balance would be mailed to the USA address in 7-10 days. That was it.

During my phone conversation with the bank manager, 17 days later, he stated he did not have nor saw a letter of closure or such notice in October 2018. Again, 17 days later, no check, I and others are scrambling crazy with vendors and personnel unpaid during Xmas month! We are now told after half a dozen phone calls to the branch manager that the check was mailed to another address overseas, contrary to the bank manager's email and my own instructions to Customer Service. No tracking, no courier. He did not know how or why that happened. OMG. We asked that the check be sent to the Branch for pickup. Not possible says the branch manager. A stop payment will be made, and "depending on that" a new check will be issued, and mailed. But, no definite timeline about this and when the payment will be received.

I ask for the check to be couriered or trackable mailed! It's over half a million dollars, not my personal money either! He does not know anything else. It's out of his control. The other person is still on leave. Some "analyst" (really what better title could the bank have chosen!) from Financial Wellness was on the phone while I was speaking to the branch manager, saying in a condescending dismissive, "Don't waste my time" way, things like, "We will mail the check, ok nothing more to say, ok, ok, that's it, yes you're welcome, you're welcome. Bye." Click. No it's not ok. You and your bank policies and way of doing or not doing things have created a CRISIS in which the customer has NO ROLE.

PS. During the only telephone conversation with the bank manager he was trying to be customer service oriented - "I understand, I understand, but I... Don't know. It's out of your and my control." Who is in control? Who can he call? He does not know either. This was the icing on the cake after all kinds of similar experiences with phone based international or domestic wire transfer payments to vendors - shuttled between departments that know NOTHING of each other. Oh call them ah don't know.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Marketing offers - This bank running a scam to offer up to $400 if open a new account. Be aware - for 12 months you will not be able to close this account without fee and also they charge different monthly fees from this account as well.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I have been banking with Key Bank since 1983. I have NEVER had a problem. Every time I have needed to call customer service the representative has always been polite and helpful. When I moved from one side of the state to another there was no disruption of services during the transfer of my accounts from one branch to another. When I do have to go to the branch the staff has been friendly and courteous even on the busiest days. I love the fact that they have Saturday hours. I don't understand why there have been so many complaints. Maybe those complaints are plans by competitors or maybe the attitude of the caller to begin with is too aggressive.

Key Bank Company Information