1.05/5

439 Key Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I had a small hobby business checking account. I used it solely for occasional transactions like business license fees, membership dues, and occasional derives. As a busy mom, the business was inactive for a while; I had another baby and stopped looking at my account statements because I knew there was no activity. Many months later, I go to write a check and go online to view my balance. The bank had initiated a $5 service fee and had halved the amount in my small account by the time I noticed. Yes, I should have paid attention.

The manager said he could only refund $5. The customer service response via email was smug and snarky about how I should have noticed the small fine print at the bottom of a statement detailing the new fee was being added. Don’t trust this bank. Watch your accounts at Key Bank very carefully because they will add fees and hope you don’t notice. I was almost too embarrassed to write this. But hopefully someone will be forewarned - and it was a good lesson for $150. I’ve closed all my accounts at Key.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I have been with Key Bank for years and have never been charge for using the ATM by my house and I have always used it all the time more than twice and they will not refund my $45 that they took at the end of September for an ATM withdrawal fee for using that ATM more than twice and previous months. I have use that ATM more than twice but they refused to give me my money and they say that that’s just how it is. So please don’t ever go to this bank. It is just ridiculous and I’m over being overdrawn all the time for ridiculous fees that I have never heard of.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I would not even give this bank one star if less than that was an option. The customer service is the absolute worst of any bank I've dealt with. They take days sometimes up to 5 days to process transactions, some of which are bills that I have had set up through auto pay for years and never had this issue before when it was First Niagara so I'm well aware this is an issue with KeyBank and not the other businesses processing time. I have had them give overdraft fees when my check was deposited the same day as the charge but processed the charge before my check. I have also deposited checks and they have taken multiple days to put the money into my account causing overdraft.

Most recently I had an unauthorized payment taken out for something that was cancelled and the bank informed me it would take 10 business days to refund me the money, one I don't believe it should take that long since I spoke to the company that made the charge for a loan and they agreed it was the error so there did not need to be any investigation or dispute, they are actually the ones that told me to contact my bank and report it as an unauthorized payment so it could be credited. But here it is October 10th and I still have not had my money refunded.

This bank is honestly a disgrace to any financial institution and after all this I plan to close my account and go elsewhere. I strongly recommend people not even considering this bank as option. I know this sounds harsh but I have only been with this bank maybe a few years and honestly have had nothing but issues with them and initially tried to give them the benefit of the doubt when they first took the place of First Niagara but it had never improved and if you try to talk to them about any issues the customer service is rude and not helpful at all.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I was referred to Key bank by Nordstrom Heating and AC Inc. I was told no interest for 15 months. I called my local Key Bank near Arlington WA to ask if that is true. Answer was yes no interest on new loans for 15 months. When my first statement arrived I had been charged a $250 fee. They have refused to refund it.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I get this error every time I've tried to sign in today: The User ID or password is incorrect. Please try again. The only way to log in is to keep changing your password. Also there are JavaScript errors and the only way to log out is to just dump the browser. The fonts on the site are all distorted and will not render properly. I am a former IT specialist: software and website development. I called Key customer service three times and they tell me there is nothing wrong with the site, yet the first one I spoke to, Michelle told me they had been working on the site today.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Key Bank?

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I know hate is a strong word and probably not a good term to describe an emotion, but I HATE this bank!! I check my balance on a daily basis before using my debit card for purchases just to be sure I'm not overdrafting. Every time I call the customer service or even the branch, I'm always lied to or getting the runaround!! Within 2 days I was charged $212 in overdraft fees after being told several different times by several different people that my account will not be overdrawn!!! So I deposited the money into the account to bring the acct positive so that I can close it IMMEDIATELY! After I deposited the money into the account I called customer service to close the acct, they asked me why do I want to close the acct? I told them the truth which is their fees are ridiculously high!! All of sudden after telling the rep my reason for wanting to close this acct, she says, "Well you can't close the acct today due to a returned charge pending."

I said, "Well when can I close it?" She said, "Since the charge will be cleared tomorrow you can close it tomorrow!" I asked her several times since I just made a deposit (which included the overdraft fee for the returned charge that she's telling me about), "Will my acct still be in the positive?" She assured me that it would! Lo and behold this morning I wake up to another overdraft fee that took my account right back in the negative even after the rep told me this would not happen since I already included the overdraft fee for that returned charge she was telling me about. So I called customer service again, just to be told that the previous rep must have overlooked something! I was pissed! I already opened another acct with another bank. As soon as the branch open, I am closing this trifling acct IMMEDIATELY and will NEVER bank with Key Bank again! I see why people call Key Bank FEE BANK!!!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Horrible service - staff lacks obvious training and they possess no desire to do a good job. How can you be working in a bank and be unfamiliar with FDIC Insurance? They were terribly rude as well, Suyen ** claims to be a compliance officer on LinkedIn, Luis ** the banker who also called himself the Officer in Charge and the silly kid named Damion ** who made what he considered to be a silly joke about my appearance - How rude. Avoid this place.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I closed my checking account on the 5th of September and was told my $3300.00 would be mailed to me in 10 days. It's now September 29th and still no check. When I call it's always another department that is responsible for the situation. They have ran out of the excuse, "It's in the mail." Where is my $3300.00??

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

When we obtained our mortgage, Key Bank mandated that we set up an escrow account. In spite of having sufficient funds in the escrow account, Key Bank neglected to pay our homeowner's insurance bill by the due date, which resulted in my receiving a cancellation notice. I have made several phone calls and been placed on hold, then transferred, then placed on hold again. On 3 different days, after these exasperating calls, I have been assured that the payment would be overnighted that same night. And yet it has not happened. My insurance company tells me that no claim will be processed for the period that the policy is in unpaid status. If my house burns down tonight, it will be a total loss to me... and Key Bank! LAWSUIT TIME I guess...

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I redeemed my points with Relationship Rewards program and close this service same day. I specifically ask Key Bank rep if this is OK to close it same day. I was ensure that she check with Relationship Rewards team and I'm going to receive a gift card. After 2 month I realized I did get it! I call Key Bank and Relationship Rewards team. Relationship Rewards told me my redeem did not go thru... They can redeem it if I sign up for this program again. Pay $40 fee and THEN they give me $25 gift card.

Few years ago I pay school tax online. Key Bank was need 4 days before they send my check and I was late with my payment. As you know Tax collector need envelope stamp be before due day. I was charged fee. Contact Key Bank. They refused to pay my fee because "I should not use Key Bank to pay tax". Lesson learn. You keep it in mind too...

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Key Bank stopped a check I was cashing from my employer. I always got direct deposit but my employer gave me a personal check. I went to a branch and cashed it. I put it directly in my account. I was thinking it may take a day to get in my account but nope. The branch "back office" at this branch submitted to fraud. The reason, because it was a personal check and it looked suspicious. Mind you it's around the same time I get paid. I think they saw a brown person walk in to cash a check and held it. I don't see no other reasons. I called the fraud department but they couldn't take the hold off because the "back office" of this branch has to take the hold off. Well the branch is telling me their "back office" did it and can't take it off. At the same time customer service is saying, Their back office at their branch could take it off. Anyway it's a week later. Still no money in my account. Nothing's wrong with my employers check. I don't know what's going on.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

My elderly father (91 years old) recently relocated from Pennsylvania to California to live with me. We submitted an online change of address and shortly afterwards his ATM card was declined. We called the number on the back of the card and was told the problem had to be resolved by the branch and we needed to call back Monday. Called the branch Monday. They were busy. Left messages. Calls were not returned, Tuesday tried again from the number on back of the card. Was told by an operator to speak with the branch manager.

Contacted him Wednesday. Was told to email him a notarized letter stating the transfer was properly authorized. Did this Wednesday. Have been leaving messages for the past two days, was hung up on by someone in the branch today (Friday) because Jeremy was with a client and they were busy. I was referred to customer service where I have been waiting for 23 minutes. It has been a week and the funds are still frozen after I followed their instructions and cannot find out the status.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I've been banking with Key for close to 2 years. I've deposited every single paycheck I've received since changing to Key. Today I deposited my paycheck via my mobile account. Usually when depositing my check, I'm given access to 100.00, until the check clears. Today I found out that you're not given access to any money when doing it by the mobile account. That doesn't make any sense to me. I've deposited checks by the same company before, and was given the 100.00, but not when doing it this way. I'm done with Key Bank. They're never there when you need them.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

Unprofessional, amateur staff. Hidden and surprise fees that go unexplained even after many attempts to get an explanation. Terrible website that is down as much as it is operational. Stone age app. Intentionally decreases credit scores in their assessment for loans in order drive up the interest rate they can charge you. Disgusting, dishonest and probably fraudulent bank. Disaster.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I was at the White Plains Key Bank, not for the first time, for notarizing medical reports (I know where ALL the notaries are at various banks near my nine offices). The notary, Ms. Jean **, was rude, acted like I was bothering her and FOUR TIMES notes that notaries are nothing to do with banking. Fair enough, but I need my reports notarized by law. IN 30 years of doing these reports and getting notaries, NO ONE has been as clear that I was wasting her valuable work time as Jean **. The bank was EMPTY, btw, at the time. She also meddled into the content of my reports, which is against federal HIPAA guidelines to discuss or look into by non-medical staff. She alone in 30 years of this activity, asked for my SS#, and was looking me up online. Talk about over-stepping your boundaries!

I bank at Key, and wonder if it is time to move to TD, where I am never asked about my SS#, or treated rudely. Ask for my ID, sure, but I am sorry if I was especially busy this week, with a lot of reports, creating deposits that help Key to make money, as well. Unprofessional, rude and not what I expect of a Key branch assistant manager at all! I never get this treatment at the branches in Poughkeepsie, Nanuet or Newburgh, all of which I also use for notaries and banking. If it's too much trouble, let go of your notary license, Jean.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2018

Key Bank Car Loan - I get paid every two weeks. I make my car payment my first paycheck of each month (single mom with two kids causes me to live paycheck to paycheck). My payment is due on the 7th. They start calling me 4x a day every day starting on the 7th up until 4 days AFTER I have made my payment because it takes them that long to process the payment. It comes out of my checking account the day I make the payment but takes them 4 days to show it on my account. Horrible threatening customer service and harassing in their payment follow ups. "I don't need 4 calls a day to tell you the same thing," I just told the last non-English speaking person. If I had the means, I would refinance the car and get it away from them. By the way, I pay at LEAST an extra $100 in principal each and every month and it never gets to the point where a late fee is charged. They are terrible.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I was planning a trip to Peru last spring and I met a person on an online dating site from Peru of whom I had gotten to know for a few months. This person I met on this online dating site told me she was working with a travel agency in Peru who was offering tour packages and that she could arrange with them to provide a beach resort package for me at a fair price. After knowing the person for a while I decided to go with her to the travel agency in Peru to see what they had to offer in beach resort packages. While speaking to the representative at the travel agency I was shown pictures of the featured resort he was offering to sell me. The photos he showed me of the resort were of a state of the art beach resort, but after purchasing and arriving at the actual resort I realized that the resort he showed me online and the resort where I was dropped off at were not the same and that the agent had misrepresented the beach resort he had actually sold me.

I filed a police report immediately in the town where the resort was located. After realizing that the authorities in Peru were not going to do anything about my claim I returned to the United States and filed a fraud claim with my bank KeyBank, National Association. After filing the claim I was provided provisional funds $1794.24. The bank says they investigated the claim and rejected it and now claims I owe them the provisional funds. The bank never adequately investigated the claim to in fact determine if it was a valid fraud claim. The bank is now claiming I owe them the provisional funds because it was a loan.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

So I was thinking of possibly switching from Chase to Key Bank. I put a 50 dollar deposit in the Key Account that I opened online. The 50 dollars took a week to post to the account. I thought Key lost my money so I had Chase reverse the deposit. Key sent my account to fraud for closure without a call, email or text. Before it was closed I did a 1 dollar deposit for a test. Key Bank failed my test with flying colors. No word on the dollar I put in. I’m just happy I got my 50 back from Chase and I only lose a dollar for dealing with these fools. Do yourself a favor. Don’t deal with Key Bank at all if possible. If you do give them the bare minimum or you will regret it. They will lose your money in a heartbeat. I only had them for 10 days and it was 10 very bad days. Never had any issues in 10 years with Chase. Only reason I even gave this sorry bank a chance was for the 400 new customer offer. But now I would pay 400 not to use them ever again...

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I opened a Key Bank Checking account last May 2018. I signed up for Online Banking as well. I applied and received the Latitude Credit Card with a credit limit of 15,000, zero percent interest and no balance transfer fee. I transferred a balance to the Latitude card for 2,700. Each month I had to prove to Latitude that I paid my monthly payment on time with a phone call and 45 minutes of working with a service rep. Each time they apologized, I was told by a supervisor the first time that they sent out a late payment notice prematurely. I was credited. However, the credit of 27.50 although appeared on my online statement they never actually credited the balance therefore generating another notice and late fee.

My most recent payment was initiated three days before the due date. I was then charged another late fee and my minimum payment jumped over double. I called today as I received another notice for a delinquent payment and yet, I have my statements. Please understand I have very good credit. I have not made a late payment on anything in many years. So I was told last July by a rep named Helena she would monitor the account and make sure my payment is recorded, and the 3 late payments were credited yet they only showed online, as stated before, never credited.

I was told today by service rep Marise that she could not even find my June payment. (I must backtrack a bit here; No one could tell me my minimum payment amount as the online had one amount, the service line auto system had a different one and the service rep Helena had yet a different one as well. After corrections my min payment was 36.00. I paid 45.00 as I always in all history pay a little over the min amount due. But that 45 dollar payment resulted in today's notice that I failed to pay the minimum amount last month and now I owe them $72.00. However Online it said 82 dollars. So I paid it because I am sick and tired of calling them and the frustration it causes as well as time wasted re-explaining from the beginning and getting my corrections.)

When I started using online banking with my Key Bank checking account it was promoted as being very convenient to just pay the Key Bank Latitude card by transferring directly from my checking account. But Latitude did not process it for 4 days throwing me into a pseudo late payment again. We also tried Key Bank Bill Pay... ONCE. I paid my new car to Toyota Financial via Bill Pay. My online checking account was not deducted for 8 days. I called Toyota and they said Key Bank in their recent experiences will not pay them for days, even over 10 in some cases. Toyota told me that as soon as I paid them online I received a copy of the confirmation of my intentions therefore they will not penalize me.

We closed our checking account and went back to our original bank, Putnam Bank (we had not closed our Putnam Checking.) So, as for today I immediately went to the bank manager at my Key Bank branch in Putnam. He printed out proof of my June payment to prove Marise was incorrect. With this letter today, it came from a collection agency to my horror. I gave up. I went online and paid 82.00, applied for a Wells Fargo Card, approved and within 10-14 days Latitude will receive a slight overpayment to pay it off in full. Regarding the online checking account; The amount of time to deduct most purchases would take 1 day sometimes, but mostly a random 4-8 days with everything. I do have paperwork and notices etc. to support everything I am typing.

Also speaking to David the mgr at my branch after I got off the phone with Marise, and asked him under the circumstances would you call as a manager of Key Bank and help fix this. I offered to provide the email confirmation that my payment was submitted 2 days before the due date, 7/13/18. He told me he has no more clout than me regarding this ongoing situation. That "Whether they receive the info from you or me makes no difference." I was disappointed and informed him I may seek an attorney due to erroneous late fee charges, suspicious 50 cent interest charges and credits, fraudulence and not abiding by the contract, which I have read concerning payments. I paid on or before each due date.

The information I get from all sources has conflicting minimum payment amounts. Although my situation will be solved by paying them off and closing the account my concern is the legality of their internal functions. The algorithm I allege is intentionally set up to make a customer fail. All late payments were credited back as I stated, per each month's phone call proving it to them. It's basically, fraud. This bank is set up for short term profit and resale, not long term and relationship building.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I did a wire transfer to Germany for 5000 Euros through Key. The bank employee put an incorrect recipient name on the form (the bank instead of the individual) but all other information is correct and I have sent money to this person several times before, The funds never got through and Key is not attempting to recall the funds. My local branch manager is suggesting that indeed the funds got through and the recipient is lying about getting them. I asked him if there was a way to check if they got deposited and he said no, which is absurd. I have since filed complaints with the attorney general of my home state and Ohio which is Key's corporate state. I also filed a complaint with the CFPB.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

They closed my account on July of 2018. I had a direct deposit payment in there that they have of mines. I have called the 1(800) number as well as the branch. They have poor customer service at the cooperate office and branch. Nothing should be processing if my account is closed. They got their little 30.23 for their fees. Now I want my money that is not affiliated with them. Yes I'm pissed and will never deal with this bank nor do I recommend anyone else using this bank. I place them in the category of Bank of America. Beware of Key Bank. They not right.

Original review: July 28, 2018

THEY charged me close to 2k in overdraft fees. YES overdraft fees totaled this month. Not including the transactions that I disputed for some apparent scam websites online. No lie. I have been round and round with them. I told them even with health conditions limiting my ability to get out, I shopped online a lot. If your card is ever stolen and used, they punish the customer for it. Meanwhile all my utilities are going back bounced. I've been inside the branch, on the phone, email... you name it. I got the same response. I have to wait 10 days. I offered to file a police report and was told I didn't need to. Now of course I can't make my dad's (79 years old) car payment due to all this.

Original review: July 22, 2018

I pay off my loan earlier. For that they charging me illegal $150 penalty and I request them give my loan payoff letter. No answer from them. Can someone please help me where to file complaints against them?

Original review: July 16, 2018

I overdraw my account on 7/10. They like to post debits before they post credits. They refunded the money on the 12th and then the 13th I had another overdraft fee of 37.00. I look and have a positive balance. I show that it was positive until they overdrew me and then they charged me for overdrawing me. Essentially one overdraft that they credited me for 34.00 is now 177.00 in fees in 5 days. I look at my statement and it doesn't match what they are saying. They say the online is showing it wrong. I can not afford as a single mom to pay them 177.00 for an overdraft that never should have happened. This has never happened and they refuse to help me.

Original review: July 14, 2018

Seriously disappointed in services from this company and we will never recommend & will be switching banks ASAP. Someone stole my card info and spent hundreds of dollars of my hard earned income, we reported it A WEEK AGO and not only do we have to carry those charges on our account but we have been saddled with multiple overdraft fees (that occurred only because of the fraud) and what is equaling out to OUR MORTGAGE PAYMENT is gone and the bank isn't doing anything to fix it in a timely manner. I have 4 children and my entire limited income was swallowed whole by the charges & we have nothing to use for groceries or our essential bills and NO ONE HAS FIXED THE ACCOUNT AND WE HAVE CALLED EVERYDAY FOR A WEEK.

Original review: July 12, 2018

Key Bank claims to have hassle free checking account but it is just the absolute opposite. They business practices are horrible and they will charge you overdraft fees on your account even though money is in the account to cover YOUR TRANSACTIONS! I have spoken with their agents multiple times and told them the money in my account why I am being charged multiple overdraft fees. Well my account overdrew for 39 CENTS!! 39 CENTS and they charge me $39 for 39 CENTS that then send my account into a snowball effect where the fees just keep climbing because I am not putting in my account to cover the fee just my transactions.

Well if you hadn't charged me the first fee this wouldn't be happening now would it! I cannot stand KEY BANK like it is absolutely ridiculous. I say go to Huntington or Chase because Key Bank will undoubtedly take your money for 39 FREAKING CENTS. I see why people hate banks and rather deal with cash or prepaid cards. I have spent too much money in fees it's crazy.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I purchased a product from KeyBank labeled Hassle Free Checking Account which advertised standard checking account services along with a bill paying service with an optional mobile check deposit feature to utilize at my discretion within the daily limits set by KeyBank's Business Policies. In exchange for having to supply the customer with personal checks to use on their account the bank offers to waive minimum balance fees on the account and includes a free online account payables service to utilize with them instead. I have money on deposit with KeyBank for a working service product that does not work as was intended and they have refused all offers to settle with me.

The only feature of this product that even worked at all was the mobile upload check deposit feature. None of the other features worked. I called their customer service numbers 11 times over three days and no remedy was given. I then drove two hours away to the only store branch in the region and asked them to either repair my service product or replace it with a working one and apply my cleared deposits to the new product after issuing my return of deposit for the broken item. The BRANCH MANAGER of this bank had NO IDEA WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT. The MANAGER of the BRANCH of this institution could not comprehend ANY part of what I was saying and became so confused by my asking her to write her branch policies down for me so I could compare them to my contract with KeyBank.

She called the police and asked them to make me leave her branch office telling them I had been rude to her. I am the customer who has paid good money for a useless product that I gave them several thousand dollars of legal tender in good faith for its services and they refuse to issue a return of my cleared deposits as requested after they refused my offer of repair or replacement of the malfunctioning product. They openly admit their internal accounting procedures are designed to stop the services their product was intended to provide and they falsely claim the federal government has forced them to purposely break the product whenever someone utilizes the mobile deposit feature services.

They knowingly took deposits from me for services they never intended to provide. But I am the one who is threatened with arrest and asked to leave their filthy establishment where I had legitimate business. I had not and was not then committing any crime. KeyBank was. They are fraudulently using my account without my express written consent. I am publishing this as a formal demand for replacement or return of deposit from KeyBank NA and/or all incorporated variations of said tradename with or without vested interest in total assets of this corporation regardless of entity structure as long as it's registered by the licensing state. Process will be served upon all registered agents listed with the Secretary of State in Washington State, Idaho State and Ohio State USA.

Original review: June 19, 2018

Beware, balance transfers you make on the phone aren't necessarily going to go through. I spent an an enormous amount of time to do a balance transfer still 3 days before the deadline. The person I spoke to seemed to not know anything about it, and kept having to go back to her manager every time to ask basic questions: the length of the promotion, the fees, the time it would take. Despite me being used to speaking with people with very heavy accents, my family included, her accent was so difficult to understand.

After a grueling amount of time, she confirmed it went through and that it would be done in 7 to 10 days. Arianna was her name. Her supervisor, Jason or Ron. Then nothing came through and I called June 19 to find out why. They were on the phone 20 minutes too and said my promotion was filed 2-3 days before the promotion to be sent and that was too closer to the deadline because it was a holiday.

5/28 is a holiday? Then the 31? Then they said I called on the deadline which still is allowed since their promotion says the 31st. They then said they could offer me a balance transfer for the non-promotional rate. Nope! They said even if they listen to the call they couldn't do anything about it. I asked for all their info and details, the manager wouldn't give his operator number but Kelsey #** did, Chris her manager wouldn't. They said they'd go listen to the call and call me back. I am glad they said they will because this is a scam if they are offering balances and then drop the ball. I'll edit this if they do call.

Original review: June 14, 2018

Honestly this is the worst bank I have ever had. I switched to Bank of America but kept Key Bank as my secondary checking and worst decision ever they aren’t well in guest service. They are always short on tellers and I’ve dealt with a branch the guy asked me what the deposit bag was. Are you kidding me? This bank is a joke. They love taking fees and can’t provide the times stuff was pulled out your account.

Original review: June 8, 2018

I canceled my father's credit card, which was a horrible process. Three months later I get a statement saying there was a fifteen dollar charge which now totals 75.50 with late fees. We called last night to inquire. Rep took all of his information, including his permission to have rep talk to me - he’s 89. She was to call right back. She did not. I called from work this morning. They can’t talk to me unless he is present. So, we will go through entire process this evening. Can’t even begin to tell you how frustrated we are.

Key Bank Company Information