Key Bank

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Deposited a check from trust account in Key Bank. Expected a hold but now 5 days and account is overdrawn. Wow. Bank said you get 100.00 upfront rest when released. Ok so I checked my balance had 77.00 in there and took 60.00 out 2 days later in 90.02 overdrawn went in ask about it. They said something about fees they didn't seem to concern, they said "Your funds will be posted N.L.T. the 18th." My rent is due the 10th so more service fees. I'm going to go back to Wells Fargo when check is posted.

The branch manager at Latta Road & Long Pond named "Pam" is worthless for any assistance in matters. Every interaction I have had with her she could not arrange for a settlement fairly. She treats me as I am just any other client and for me being a long term client and more than monies to settle any issue she will account for this a positive issue for the client. I guess I am having exactly what I keep hearing from most clients that have been taken over by Key from HSBC and initially was Marine Midland. It just seems to me that Key doesn't consider long term clients to be worth keeping and they would just as soon the client move on to another bank rather than to make concessions that could be positive for the client.

For this I guess you don't really need a bank as I have enough headaches without them given to me by the banking manager. This manager is always full of sorrys and apologies, but when it comes to the nitty gritty of business and assistance with different that help out the clients she hasn't a clue what this means. I guess with great regret initially I may have to pull my 6 or so and business accounts out and may have to seek out Canandaigua National Bank with my banking issues from now on since Key is only interested in making money from their clients and not client satisfaction.

I have been a customer with Key Bank for years. Since their merge with First Niagara it has been nothing but a nightmare. They are so far behind in processing, transactions go through before deposits made on same day resulting in a domino affect of overdraft fees. When this first happened a few months ago I contacted the executive offices and 2 weeks later I was reimbursed over 1,000 in fees and told it was only half as they can only go back 60 days. There's an old saying, "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me." Should have closed my account then. After coming back for being out of country my account was overdrawn due to a payment being released earlier than it was suppose too, first how did they allow that to happen???

Second I immediately entered more than enough cash to cover it. Don't you know 3 days later the fees start coming. I submitted a complaint to CFPB and on the 15th day (they have 15 days to respond) they respond that I am not authorized on the account. Now I opened this account for my business many years ago and have been doing business as a signer ever since. When I spoke with Key Bank regarding this they states that they are going through documents and don't see anything for me listed. I HAVE THE OPENING OF ACCOUNT WITH MY SIGNATURE RIGHT ON IT!!! They are thieves and should be shut down. I have already started moving my stuff to a credit union (WHICH BY THE WAY IS AMAZING). I will never bank with this bank again. BEWARE!!!

We are totally dissatisfied with Key Bank. I receive child support from my ex via check from his account. I do not have an account there. I have been cashing the checks at both Amsterdam and Johnstown branches for years. A few weeks ago I went through the Johnstown Branch to cash the check and was told that since I do not have an account there I would have to go in. I had my young daughter in the car who was sleeping. I went in and cashed the check.

Really?! Because I don't have an account there, I am not able to use the drive thru?! So, today I go to the Johnstown Branch and gave them my passport and the check. The cashier didn't want to cash it because I didn't have my driver's license… unreal. She finally cashed it and told me it is a $7.50 processing fee because I don't have an account with them. Gee… I wonder why. I told the clerk that I have been cashing the said checks for years at their branch and Amsterdam and that Amsterdam even allows me to go through the drive through and that no one has ever told me about said fee. She charged me the fee.

I went to my car and told my husband. He went in to the bank and spoke to a manager. I went back in with him and explained the situation. I told her all of the above… she told me that I could go to Amsterdam and cash it, they don't allow people with no account to go through drive thru because we have to show ID. I told her that I always sent my ID. Needless to say, I was given my $7.50 back, but I am not happy. I will never, ever use Key Bank and my husband is closing his. Customer service is horrible. Greed is another issue.

This bank is horrible. They placed my payment in some "unapplied" category and it triggered a letter to me saying I am in default of my mortgage, with no remedy and they would be expecting full payment of the loan balance! Their mistake, they had the money in their hands and I get this letter! Disgusting. Then I was told that I have to wait until the next statement to see that they "fixed" the mistake. Hopefully there won't be a lock on my door when I come home from work. Something wrong with upper management and the way this bank is run.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Key Bank?

I am disgusted by all the fees that banks come up to hit their customers with. It is outright robbery. Stop payment on a check should cost you 30.00? They are all thieves.

Key took 4 days to process a bill pay that I set up with my checking account. So when it finally posted it overdrew my account, although I made a deposit to cover the charge before it posted. I will not be banking with them anymore and I've been a customer for ten years. I am sick of the way they do things!

I get notifications about activity on my card. Someone did an international transfer and took ALL my money. I only have this card because the state of Alabama uses it for child support. All my child support money was gone and I just received a deposit last week.

I have been with Key Bank for over 30 years with several personal accounts and for 20 years with business accounts. They have been getting worse and worse over the years with increased fees, horrible customer service and a MONEY HUNGRY drive. Every time I turn around there is a fee, they just closed our overdraft protection account saying "It doesn't meet certain standards" but, can open a new overdraft protection account that of course has tons of fees associated with it, transfer fee and yearly membership fee. They have no problem attaching a fee to anything and everything. They should change their name to Fee Bank, and the tag line use the red fee. I am in the process now of moving accounts to other banks, mortgage was already moved and several business transactions no longer happen with Key. Everyone needs to save themselves some grief and bank someplace else.

On July 17th a withdraw was made at an ATM at 96 S. Main Street in Franklinville N.Y. which is about 60 miles south of where I live. I noticed it and quickly called the fraud department and filed a dispute. I was nowhere Franklinville that day and haven't been there in years. I received a letter that their investigation determined my card and account was not compromised and there would be no adjustment made.

If I wished I could call and have the documentation that led to their decision was made. I did call and they gave me a runaround. They told me since it was not a Key Bank ATM there was nothing they could do. So I asked whose ATM it was and if a picture of the person who made the transaction was available. They would not tell me who owned the machine and there was nothing they could do and Key Bank refused to cover my loss. That it was against their policy. They suggested I go to The police department in Franklinville and file a report of fraud.

I went there and lo and behold there is no 96 S. Main street. I called Key Bank and tried to point out that the ATM did not exist at that location. They pretty much just blew me off. I went to the police station and the officer (a very nice fellow) said he never heard of such a thing, nor did he know how to file that particular type of report. Tomorrow I am severing my relationship with Key Bank and urge everyone I know, or who reads this to do the same before they let someone take your money and leave you out to dry. They are crooks and working or in my case retired people should avoid any business with this shady institution.

Unfortunately I bought a new car in Nov 2016 and agreed to use Key Bank. It is only now that I hear nightmare stories even from my bank manager. Their website to pay loan online is awful, my last payment after getting to submit popped up a message "unable to process at this time". I logged out, tried 3 more times to log in and finally did. Entering info again... The same amt for the past four months, the loan plus extra toward principal. The next day I saw they took a double payment. The first payment was not even the full amt I always pay. It was just the car payment.

They refused to put back into my account and I had to scramble because my mortgage was clearing thru. I went to People's Bank to place a dispute for fraudulently taking two payments. I am told to call when my Aug loan is due and they will transfer from my principal where they placed the payment... Seriously. I am trying to get another loan but of course it's a used car now and more money is needed to offset... Where is banking oversight for this dishonest bank?

Bank manager screwed up my cards. Tried to file email complaint and link ends up with a submission error... Wasted much time and tried Chrome and Edge and both don't work. Tried online chat and was worse because I kept getting sent to same broken submission. Whole process wreaks of incompetence... AVOID.

My grandmother died over 7 years ago, in 2010. Then my father died 2 years ago and I closed his estate. Several months ago I received a Key Bank credit card statement forwarded from my father's address, but addressed to my grandmother. It was a statement for her old credit card account and had a balance of $0. No big deal, I called and explained she died over 7 years ago, and they should close her account. I figured I was being courteous and protecting them from possible credit card fraud from an old open account. The woman said she would close it, no problem. She even asked for her date of death and gave her condolences.

But now for the past two months I've been receiving statements saying my dead grandmother now owes a $50 fee! Obviously my grandmother's estate was closed long ago and Key Bank missed their chance to get another $50 from her. My complaints: Having a $50 fee for closing an account is wrong. Using the death of a person as an opportunity to profit is immoral. Having a system that sends $50 charges after they talked to a customer service representative about the situation is unacceptable. Perhaps Key Bank can send ME $50 as a gesture of good will!

After making a check deposit through the ATM... a hold was placed on that deposit. I was told that I was potentially fraud. I can respect that. I was told that after confronting the branch manager since he refused to be honest. I took the necessary steps to show that there was no fraud. The branch received documents from the company that issued the check... confirmation that it was all good and the check has cleared. The branch manager was verbally told it's ok and received a document showing it was ok. They would not remove the hold. The branch manager stated he couldn't release the hold. Customer service and the branch manager from another location told me only the branch manager could release the hold.

I have been given a severe case of the "runarounds" by the branch manager. He blatantly lied to my face in regards to this situation. DO NOT do business with Key Bank. They have the worst customer service and the lies are abundant. What purpose do they have to hold a customer's money when proof has been provided? This branch manager went as far as..."acting as though" he was messaging someone while I was in front of him. Then, when he wanted to make a call... he got up and left his desk... LOL.

I paid my property tax at the local branch in December of 2016. I received a notice in June from the county that I owed a penalty of more that $300 for non-payment. I was not able to find my receipt immediately when I stopped at the branch to see what could be done. My customer experience was not what I expected. Instead of acknowledging that I must be frustrated and how can they help, the "personal banker" wanted to know how they could have accepted my payment if I wasn't a customer. Our local paper, The Westlife, had printed an article about this service offered by Key Bank and I thought I would test drive their service with this initial transaction.

I located my stamped bank receipt the following week verifying that they accepted my payment in December. I have traveled twice downtown to work this out with the county treasurer. I have requested that Key Bank cover the cost of stop payment on my check, but I have not heard back from them. A surprising response from a bank with a large footprint in the Cleveland market.

I was with First Niagara when Key Bank took over. I never had a problem with my checking account. Since the change I have had one nightmare after another. I use my app on my phone like I always had with First Niagara. It deducts money immediately and it shows me what I have to spend. Key Bank's app not only is this not accurate cause they shut it down every day for several hours to update it, then I get an overdraft fee for 1.20 which cost me 38.50. Then I end up with 2 more overdraft fees usually 4 days later resulting from that 1.20 I spent on a bag of chips out of the vending machine. I never use my cards without checking my app. It has never failed me till Key Bank took over.

What a racket they have milked out of people like myself for not having better software to keep their customers updated on what they really have available. I am grateful that the people at my branch cleared me of those overdraft charges, it's not their fault. Otherwise that 1.20 bag of chips would have cost me 115.50 plus the 1.20. To avoid this I will use my card very little and this upcoming week I will change banks. I never want to go through this ever again. I was very pleased with First Niagara, Key Bank should follow their example, but after all why should they, they are making a bundle doing business as is.

I received a letter from a SVP of Key Bank stating that my credit line would be closed because the ownership was not maintained according to their policy. I have not changed the ownership in 10 years! After a number of calls I did receive a refund of the annual fee I paid but am still attempting to resolve the situation through Sarah ** of the Executive Client Relations department. This department does not provide direct phone numbers or email addresses. Ms. ** has promised to call by certain times and reneged twice. She did not return a call or email to a Key Bank Branch manager who attempted to reach her on my behalf. She ignored Key Bank policy of returning calls within 48 hours.

I have never seen a banking system so terrible as this one. I have depended on my bank balance using online banking for years. This bank is 3 days behind at least on removing ATM withdrawals and paid bills. You will see withdrawals one day and not see the same withdrawals the next day. First Niagara was so much better. Now the balance on your checking account is never accurate. I have so many direct deposits but this bank is the worse experience I have ever had with a bank.

I went to my bank ATM at Key Bank to deposit money. It took quite a while and finally said "we are unable to process your deposit." I then went into the bank to find out what the problem was. The teller tells me that there's no record of my transaction to contact customer disputes and gives me a number. I go home, call the number and am told that they have 3 weeks to go over my dispute. They gave me a dispute number to be able to call and check on the status... my complaint apparently wasn't the only one that particular day... 3 other customers prior to myself had the same thing happen to them. My question is why after the first problem didn't they shut the ATM down??? Now because of a faulty ATM I'm about to have my electricity turned off??? Seriously ridiculous that I'm not even guaranteed to get my paycheck back... I'm telling everyone I know that has Key Bank to switch banks.

We have had personal and business accounts with Key Bank for decades. During this time, particularly over the last few years service and quality has declined rapidly. For example today I noticed several fraudulent charges on my account. In the past the bank would have caught the charges. No matter, I called the phone number given for stolen cards. I went through my whole story to be told, "OK now we transfer you to another number." I have been on hold for 30 minutes! I ask "why did I call this number if I really can only get action by calling another number?" Answer, "that is just the way it is".

Judging by the time I have spent on hold they must have a lot of fraud with their accounts or they have one person in the fraud department. They also changed one of our accounts willy-nilly. We had overdraft protection tied to our savings account. Went along just fine for 5 years and then one day, bank just changed it. Getting it changed back requires 45 minutes on the phone. ANYTHING with this bank requires 45 minutes on the phone!!!

My father died recently intestate. He had accounts at several banking institutions. Every other institution I spoke to was able to tell me if his accounts were frozen, or if there had been any transactions on his account after his death. Key Bank has outright refused to give me that basic information. They refuse to be of any assistance, and each and every person I have spoken to is openly hostile because I am "fishing for information" on an account that my name isn't on. They have refused to even tell me something as simple as, "Do you have a copy of the death certificate?" type questions. I have zero interest in accessing the accounts for withdrawal, I just want to make sure that my father's accounts can't be raided without the legal heir's consent.

My 91 year old mother was asked to close an account with absolutely no reason at all. The stress it put on her and me to change all of her direct deposits over and open a new account at another bank was utterly ridiculous. I just saw in these complaints that she was not the only person who was asked to close their account. She was a loyal customer for years with National City and she couldn't even call the manager or any familiar staff members to ask any questions because they were no longer employed at her branch. I would never recommend this bank for anything. It makes no sense... a new bank in town and they are asking people to close their accounts?

Are they prejudice? Do they only want wealthy clients? Are they not wanting certain nationalities or religions? Something is extremely wrong if they cannot give a reason. I also am a realtor and will never recommend my buyers to use them. I am in a situation currently where my seller's closing has been pushed back a month and we cannot get any answers. The loan originators have no answers and they won't let the underwriters contact us!!! It's plain and simple... this is a terrible bank. Don't use them for ANYTHING!!!

Paid off my credit card in full, and the day after it was at zero balance they socked me with a 68 dollar interest charge. To make matters worse, my card went missing so I cancelled it and asked that a new one be sent out, as my vacation was starting in 8 days. They failed to do this, then when asked to do it again, they had some kind of poor excuse again why it would arrive 2 days after I had left on vacation. Now I will have a credit card floating around when I am not at home to receive it. Third call, third disappointment on the poor business practices they put forth.

When First Niagara changed to Key Bank, the problems began. An unauthorized change was made to my checking account causing over $600 in fees to accumulate in only 3 weeks! Key turned on an overdraft feature without my knowledge or authorization. $600+ in fees was the result in less than 4 weeks. I contacted the bank and they say I turned it on! No way did I turn it on, and they have no signature or other proof that I turned it on. I have been on the phone with Key for the past 3 days and I'm getting nowhere.

Today my social security check was deposited and they took all of it! Now I'm screwed because I can't pay bills. The people at the bank were rude and unwilling to help me. When I asked to speak to a manager when I went to the local branch, THE manager without saying a word pointed to another person. After getting nowhere with this person, she tells me to talk to the manager! WOW! I thought you were the manager! I have never been treated like dog crap on a shoe until my visit to this bank and the people at the 800 number were of no help too.

How does a bank get away with this! If I could give this bank a negative 10 star rating I would. The absolute worst customer service treatment I have ever experienced, ever. I will fight this bank until I die if I have to. This has to be illegal, and I will take them to court over this. They will not admit the mistake and refuse to deduct the fees from my account which they will not even let me close! Anyone considering Key Bank be warned! You will regret doing business with this bank sooner or later. Do some research on this bank before you decide to join it. Worst banking experience of my life. How do they get away with it???

To be short there were multiple instances where money was taken out of my account. I found out this before going out of town. Got the runaround, send me here and there, being promised that money will be temporarily be put back for bills purposes and that it was being noted. I come back and the card is there but no papers to fill out. I go to the bank so I can handle it face to face and he says there no notes but printed me out the transaction history for me to get a head start. It took until yesterday to get an actual claim number. The investigator call today telling me I should have done this and that and asking me why I took so long. Apparently fraud liability is only for certain cases. I feel played and disrespected. I have gotten the runaround so much and I'm so tired of them. They're like "You should have read this and that before signing" and it's like I DIDN'T SIGN ANYTHING! YOU TOOK OVER FIRST NIAGARA!

Business owners beware. Key Bank does not offer any business loan that does not include an early payoff penalty and they do not disclose that until after they have tricked you into signing a contract. Their trick... make so many mistakes in the loan process that by the time loan docs are ready for signature, the customer is so stressed out and desperate to finally get the loan finished that they don't realize they are signing away their own profitability. Banked with them for 10 years. Personal, business, and even referred Key to my employees. About 10 accounts all together. Until a few years ago, Key was on a par with a lifetime of banking experiences. Then, a new CEO came into power and they have been in a downward spiral ever since. Predatory practices. High turnover rate. Untrained employees. Misinformation and downright lies. Employees do not know their jobs.

I suspect Key Bank has been on a mission to replace all of their capable, experienced employees with untrained people in order to delay customer transactions. Delays result in collecting more interest on a loan by making it difficult to pay off and bogus fees as discussed in so many of the complaints I see on this website. I've closed all of the Key Bank accounts I could about a year ago. Loan secured by a semi truck would have been paid off a week ago, but Key Bank has not been able to provide either an accurate payoff number or copy of title. Key Bank is preventing us from trading in our vehicle on a new one. If anyone has started a class action lawsuit against Key Bank for these predatory practices, I want in on it.

Keybank claimed I had a missed payment and this was not accurate. I have made several calls to Key Bank to clear up this issue, each time ending the call very upset. Customer service is extremely slow and not helpful. Each time I explain that I have not been delinquent on my account I have to repeat the entire story to be told the call they made to me was "an attempt to collect debt". I pay the bill online and have NEVER missed or been late with a payment. I feel the number of calls I have received from Key Bank have been harassment. It took me 14 minutes (my phone timed the call) to finally receive a fax number to send proof of payment. I asked to speak to a manager and was given a supervisor more than 21 minutes into the call. When put on hold again, I finally hung up. I would not recommend this bank to anyone.

I had a loan for a boat for over 10 years and was coming up to the last payment. To prevent them from taking out more than needed, I canceled my direct deposit and authorized them an e-check over the phone for the balance due. This is where it all went downhill FAST! First they contacted us to say we were late on our payment, so we called. They said that our e-check "didn't go through". Um huh? They didn't say that there were insufficient funds, but that it just didn't go through. So we reminded them that we had a authorization number that the Key Bank officer gave us and that we were told that it went through. "Sorry... and there is now more interest due." We objected and asked to speak to a supervisor.

After spending two days where someone was going to call us back but never did, we spent hours of callbacks. We finally spoke with a level 2 supervisor to authorize the payment over the phone for the original amount agreed upon. We then looked at our bank account online. They had taken the final amount plus THEY TOOK OUT A COMPLETELY ADDITIONAL PAYMENT!!! YA THE AUTOMATIC PAYMENT WE HAD CANCELED A MONTH OR TWO AGO!!! Arrrhhggghhh! So we called, AGAIN, to get our money back.

Today, they sent us a check FOR THE AMOUNT MINUS THE INTEREST THAT WE FOUGHT SO HARD TO HAVE WAIVED!!! AAArrrhhgggHHH! 2 things to learn from this: #1 Just say no to Key! #2 If you need to stop payments with KEY: Demand to speak to a level 2 supervisor and then call your bank to warn that you made a change to the automatic payment with Key and to DENY them from removing any funds, ASAP!

First I opened account online, that ended with a bunch of requests to verify information. So I went to the branch. At first it was quick. A new account opened and business as usual. Then instead of verifying my Social Security number through DMV or Social Security admin, they made me go do it. So I did. I got wire transfers in for cars I sold. Instantly Key Bank froze my account even withholding the 500 plus dollars already in account. The branch claimed it was a Fraud Department and refused to give a contact number. I of course found it myself online and called. They proceeded to tell me it was not them it was bank manager, the name they gave turned out to be a innocent woman at the Wilbur branch. Not the Colville branch. This manager conveniently I am told is out of town.

Then I get a number to a lady a Consumer Affairs in Seattle. She tells me since it's wire transfers in a new account. This bank treats me a businessman as a scammer, even the people I sold the cars to called in complaining about them refusing me money they sent me for a legitimate purpose. When I talk of bringing a lawyer into it, the lady in Seattle tells me it will all be available this morning. And now you guessed it. About 3900 dollars is not showing in my account. I call customer service, they tell me it is at a branch level. This bank messes with your money, makes excuses and will not give you your money. This has been the worst banking experience of my life. I was a victim of identity theft, and thought I seen it all until this bank. Even a FBI agent said this was crazy what Key bank was doing.

This bank bought our local First Niagara Bank. Today I got a notice that all my accounts were being closed. They refused to provide a reason, and when pressed they stated a clause in the service agreement (which I never signed BTW, you BOUGHT my business against my will) they do not need to provide a reason. Thanks for coming to our community KEY BANK! I am a local business owner with 2 business accounts at this bank. I have no loans, no mortgage, have never missed a payment on my bank credit card. They will not even give me a reason. Watch out fellow Key Bankers!

Key Bank Company Profile