3.9/5 (324 ratings)

About Key Bank

Key Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Key Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Key Bank?

Original review: June 15, 2022

I had a truck loan through Keybank. I bought a new vehicle on May 17th, and the remaining two years of truck payments through Keybank was fully paid off. On May 26th, they still took the $500 truck payment from my bank account anyway. I called immediately, expressed my frustration that they stole $500 from my account right before Memorial Day weekend. I'm a father of 4, and $500 is a lot of money to be missing. The first customer service rep I talked to told me, "I don't know why you're so upset, it's not like we can keep it."

It is now June 15th, and I still have not gotten my $500 back. I have talked to multiple people at Key Bank's customer service and supervisors. I was constantly given different information as to when I would be getting my money back. Some were at least somewhat helpful, but some were rude. When I asked for a supervisor to one rep, I was told, "Why, they are just doing to tell you the same thing I just did." and then she hung up on me.

As of today, supposedly the check was written yesterday and mailed. But when all is said and done, they stole $500 of my money for a month. I would love to say that I have enough money that $500 missing doesn't affect me, but it did greatly. I absolutely need that money. I will never use Keybank again for anything. I am disgusted by their actions and the way they handled it.

Original review: May 20, 2022

We began using this bank recently, it sounded so good at first! I was not aware that if you have anything on Auto pay, and there is not money in there, it will deduct anyway, allowing you to go negative. Most recently I had 308.00 in overdraft fees for a 2 day period. My paycheck went in and due to the overdraft fees I had a little over 100 left of my paycheck. Everyone I spoke to said it could not be helped. The man at one branch told me every bank allows auto pays to come out, like I should have known that. Well my previous bank sure didn't! Things are expensive enough in the world, yet everyone's income stays the same. And your own bank is taking money and now there are even more bills you can't pay. I am beyond disgusted with Key Bank. I will be looking for somewhere else to do business because they will rob you blind and not care. Look somewhere else if you are looking for a new bank.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 22, 2022

Transferred recently to this bank, thinking of all the things they offered sounded great. NOT. Warning! This bank is a scam, my account was overdraft once, but they didn't send any notification stating it was overdraft, so I move money from my savings to checking to cover any negative balance, then they proceed to charge me $240 in overdraft fee! When I made sure I paid the negative balance and even had extra money just in case. Do not open an account with this bank, they will take your money and leave you hanging dry! And no, they will not reimburse you the money, they will tell you they can't help you with anything. Read reviews! Save your hassle of signing up with a Bank that takes all your money! Had to immediately close my account, since they left me with just 10$ in my account, a single mother that lives paycheck to paycheck, I will make sure everyone knows about this!

Original review: April 21, 2022

Warning. I went to Key Bank on a Saturday to deposit, in person, $6500.00 so I could buy a car. When I arrived, I realized that the bank was closed. I decided that I would have to make my deposit at the ATM if I were to buy the new car that day. I had all $100.00 bills so I thought it wouldn’t be important, (Boy was I wrong) I inserted my ATM card and put my money in the ATM, I could hear the ATM counting out my deposit then all the sudden the machine beeped and started spitting out money. I didn’t know what had gone wrong just that something did.

I grabbed all the money the machine spit out and thought well I’ll just make a second deposit. At that point I looked up and saw that there was a warning sign on the ATM. It was then that I tried to retrieve my debit card back, only to realize that the machine would not return my card, I tried to figure out what to do but Key Bank’s machine didn’t even give me a receipt on the money it had taken and seeing's how the machine didn’t return my card I counted up the money the machine had returned to me and figured out that it had kept $5200.00 of mine. I stood there in front of the machine and got on my cell phone and called customer service thinking they could give me a service code to deposit the remaining balance of my deposit.

I was told they didn’t know what went wrong and that there was nothing they could do and I would need to come back to the bank in person on Monday to try and straighten out what went wrong, I begged them and pleaded with them explaining that I was supposed to buy a car that day. To my dismay no one could help me. So, first thing Monday morning I was first to the bank before they opened and when they did, I went in and retold my story to a bank employee only to be told there was nothing they could do until Wednesday because that’s when they were scheduled to reconcile, they’re AT, I was flabbergasted, I could understand how they could just keep $5200.00 of my money after their machine malfunctioned. I pleaded with them to no avail.

I left and called customer care and explained what was happening and had to be transferred to a supervisor before finally I was told they would count their til that day and call me, I headed back to the bank. By the time I got there they had counted the ATM and had found my $5200.00 BUT they told me they shouldn’t have counted their ATM money according to their manager and area supervisor so I was going to have to wait until they followed their policy and although they knew they had my money they could not return it to me or deposit it to my account. At that point I was beside myself and said I would have to write up a critical review. That’s when I was transferred to corporate and was told this would be thoroughly investigated and that I was in the right place to have this handled.

Yet it still took them approximately 1 week before my money was returned to me and in between time I asked for 10% for my troubles and for the fact that I lost the car I was going to buy. After my money was returned to me, I was told by corporate that they had not completed their investigation and I waited two more weeks only to be contacted by corporate and told their investigation was final, I did not receive the 10% I asked for, so I asked for the $200.00 I was out for the money I had put down on the car, I was told I would not be getting that either.

I didn’t even receive an apology or an explanation as to what had gone wrong. So, consider that before doing business with Key Bank. I personally would give Key Bank an “F” rating and have closed my accounts with them and move my banking business elsewhere. In summary, Key Bank's machine malfunctioned and ate $5200.00 of my money, then they held my money hostage, despite locating it the first business day, for ten days, causing me to lose the car and $200.00 car deposit.

Original review: April 13, 2022

Key Bank was fine when I opened my account in 1996. That didn't last long. Key Bank is all about hidden, weird secrets & way too many fees. Zero accountability & they profit from their poor customers. Really pathetic. Community & caring... That is smoke & mirrors.

Original review: March 31, 2022

A MUST READ REVIEW!!! My brother in-law passed away in December 2020 and had checking accounts at the KeyBank in Martinsville, IN. My husband is the Administrator of his estate and KeyBank even fought him all the way. After thorough research of his accounts we found numerous occurrences of fraudulent activity. When KeyBank was notified all we got was the run around. The regional manager wouldn't even talk to us and the manager of the branch was the one that let the fraud occur. Eventually, all the branches were informed not to speak to my husband and especially myself.

I tried everything to get them to communicate with me. We even filed complaints with the OCC which was a joke as well. We even sent a letter to the CEO which we found out went nowhere. The complaint finally reached the Executive team in January 2021 which is suppose to be the highest level at KeyBank. By looking at the fraudulent checks that were written on his accounts and even the signature card adding a signer, it was obvious that the signatures were forged. But all my persistence and claims have all been denied with KeyBank stating they followed procedures and since my brother in-law did not file a forgery claim (which he did try but the branch manager would not assist him) the forgeries are denied. As an Administrator for someone you are there to protect the deceased estate which is what my husband tried to do and KeyBank refused to let him. DO NOT BANK AT THIS INSTITUTION!! They cannot be trusted with your money.

Original review: March 28, 2022

I had my checking acct closed and received no notice. When my tax return direct deposit was sent to the bank they didn't contact me. They didn't decide to deposit it to my savings that was opened st same time. They sent it back so that I would have to wait another month to 2 months to wait for a check.

Original review: March 26, 2022

This bank is horrible from its mobile app to its service. Do not make a mistake and overdraft your account. 4.50 overdraft earned 38.50 cents. Unreal! Wanting to check your account on the mobile app? Nope it always seems to be unavailable or having a system error. That is if you can get it to load at all. Are they trying to be bad? Cause it sure seems like it. Even the customer service is lacking.

Original review: March 5, 2022

Key Bank is a rip off, do not trust them to do the right thing. I was making payments every two weeks in hope of paying my truck off sooner. They kept the extra money on hold every time until it added up to a full payment. It was supposed to be going to principal. When I called them out on it, only thing I got was, "I'm sorry."

Original review: Feb. 20, 2022

Key Bank is the absolute worst bank I have ever used. Customer service is terrible. Platform is terrible. Website is horrendous. No matter how good the rate looks don’t use them! It’s not worth it! I had direct deposit for 4 years and constantly was getting charged late fees. You try to contact customer service and not only is no one available but when someone finally contacts you it’s like talking to a tree. Zero intelligence no common sense. Awful awful awful bank.

Key Bank Company Information