2. Finance
  3. Banks and Credit Unions

3.6/5 (241 ratings)

About Key Bank

Key Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Key Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Key Bank?

Original review: July 6, 2021

Well here we are again waiting for KeyBank to put the money that Washington State paid them for my unemployment on my card. It has been about 30 hours since the money was given to the bank and I still have nothing. Rent was due yesterday. They extended until today but I won't get paid until tomorrow at the soonest because for whatever reason, they hold your money and don't disperse it when they get it. I would have to guess that I have something to do with the money that they are making by using our money to generate money for themselves at our expense. I wish the Washington state would pull out of the key Bank situation and shut them down for the fraud that they're committing against the people who are depending on unemployment benefits.

It seems to me that since the policy says if the money is deposited prior to 6:00 p.m. that it will be posted on that day that I should already have my money but I called and spoke to somebody at key Bank one time in regards to their holding my money away from me for the time. That they do and they said that the bank only communicates with the unemployment department one time per day and that when that one time happens that you're credited instantly.

The lady explain to me that it was completely and totally automated and no human contact was needed yet if there's a holiday, for some reason, even though Washington state pays the unemployment to KeyBank, the automated system for some reason makes the people who are dependent on the unemployment wait an extra day to get paid which makes no sense to me since it's all automated and no humans are needed to make the transfer. I would call it a scam or a fraud or a screwing in progress anything except for fair.

KeyBank needs to learn to adhere to its own policies or not expect the rest of us to. They are not the payees, they are simply a middleman who we are stuck dealing with because ultimately, they are working for us and they've got it all wrong when they're snotty and rude and think that they don't need us. I would wager that key Bank is so accustomed to getting all this unemployment money that if all of the states that utilize KeyBank for unemployment were to just pull out of their programs altogether, they would go out of business and would realize quickly how much they did need us and how much better they could have treated us and didn't.

I don't agree with the holding of my money for an extra day because the holiday that we just had was the 4th of July which fell on Sunday, not Monday. They should not be allowed to just decide arbitrarily to close down without notice and withhold all of the unemployment money that is being withheld from people as I speak. I think a class action lawsuit is in order. I I'm willing to be an organizer but will need help if anybody else would like to join in and be an organizer let me know. My contact information is current and correct. **

Original review: May 24, 2021

I've had a Key2Benefits card since 2013. My state uses the system to manage child support payments. In the eight years that I've been a customer, I have successfully logged into the site less than 10 times. Per the customer service agent I spoke to today, the site is very glitchy. I've tried resetting my password, recovering my user name, resetting my PIN, using an incognito window, accessing via Microsoft and Apple products, and everything else customer service has recommended with no success. Every time I try to access the site, it's a 30-60 minute waste of time. I can't believe the federal government thought this monstrosity of a website was a good idea for processing stimulus payments.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 4, 2021

Two months I closed out my checking account and tried to close out my credit card. Key Bank wouldn’t let me. Said I have to wait for them to make sure I don’t have any outstanding credit even though I had no money in my checking account because I had already closed it out .So I called them again why they have not sent me my money they owe me on the credit I have remaining. This was in March. Said I didn’t close out my credit card account. So now it’s April they finally closed my account out. Said it would take 10 business days so I waited the 10 days. Still no money. I called this time to talk to a supervisor. She told me there was a glitch in the system. Said I would have to wait to get my money. So what do you think. Dishonest. Never bank with Key Bank And have their credit card.

Original review: April 27, 2021

Be Very Careful With Their Promotions. Opened a KeyBank Checking account with a $500.00 Promotion. The catch was you had to deposit $500 dollars within 60 days. Here I was, having all my payroll checks from a part-time job deposited within 60 days. The checks all totaled well over $500. This was on 9/22/2020. I called the bank after 90 days and they told me it could take up to 6 months to get my promo check. I called again on April the 26rh, 2021, and was told I did not qualify because I did not make ONE deposit of $500 or more... Seriously? I had all my payroll checks deposited within 60 days.

Folks, read the fine print and don't switch banks over promotions that have hidden catches to them. Shame on me but a bigger shame on them for not being an honest bank and telling me after numerous phone calls that all my money was no good for the promotion. Unscrupulous trickery. I immediately had my direct deposit switched to a bank that is more upfront and doesn't take 8 months of direct deposits before telling the customer he didn't meet the one lump deposit of $500. I was warned by a co-worker not to get involved with Key Bank. I should have listened. Live and learn.

Original review: April 14, 2021

I have never experienced such poor and careless customer service in my entire life. I was automatically signed up and issued a Keybank account to receive the unemployment benefits I recently started receiving. It's now mid April and my very first unemployment deposit was made to the Keybank account on March 3rd. After sending to wrong address the card was cancelled immediately but took numerous emails. They sometimes responded to asking for specific documents to verify my correct address. After sending appropriate document that was approved ... I waited over 3 entire weeks and still hadn't received replacement card. After inquiring about this ... I was told I had to send appropriate documents to verify my correct address AGAIN! After doing so ... I was told the new card would be expedited and expect to receive it within 2-3 business days!???

So almost 2 weeks later a replacement card FINALLY shows up in my mailbox. I call to activate the card and was transferred to a live agent who then explained that this newly/FINALLY received replacement card had been reported lost/stolen and that card I physically had in my hands had been cancelled (which I absolutely made no calls to report anything lost or stolen or sent or called to cancel ANYTHING)!!! They said ... However ... That ANOTHER card was on the way and was sent out on March 30th.

At this point it was now the 2nd of April! On Saturday I had that card cancelled because it had been well over 10 days let alone well over the 2-3 days I was told to expect it. I had a new card expedited that I have to pay $15.00 out of my own pocket. It's now Wednesday ... No card STILL? This is absolutely ridiculous and I can't wait until it arrives so I can withdraw the entire balance at once and never have to deal with Keybank ever again in my life. I have had no issues receiving my unemployment via direct deposit into my real bank account.

Original review: April 13, 2021

Key Bank is by far the worst bank ever. I will never do business with this bank again. Every time you call you're on hold from anywhere to 20-45 minutes. Then you speak to a rep and they are absolutely no help at all. I spoke to a Kaitlyn. She was rude, she filed a dispute that they gave me credit back for then took my credit back from me with no letter or any communication informing me of this. Needless to say I closed my account with these clowns. Do not bank with key bank. They also steal people's money by double charging your account and acting like it was a bank error. They are a huge scam!

Original review: April 3, 2021

Tried to open an account. Lady was clueless and didn’t know how. Had to wait four days before she had instructions. Then set up account wrong. She told me it would be two more days for them to fix the account. So told them to just give me my money back and forget the whole thing. I never left the bank, never received checks or a debit card. They refused to give me all of my money back that day to close the account. Don’t ever go to Key Bank in Thornton as they are completely clueless, and management doesn’t know what they are doing either.

Original review: March 20, 2021

No matter how many times I update my account with notes regarding international travel, my debit card is always shut off. I work abroad and am always using my card in foreign countries. Despite knowing this, my card is continuously turned off due to "suspicious" transactions. This last "suspicious" transaction was an 84 cent tip for an Uber driver. Tips on Uber are routed through their international headquarters in the Netherlands, and, because I had only told the bank I was in Colombia, they turned the card off leaving me stranded, alone, at night, on the Colombian streets with no way to get home. This bank operates at a 1977 standard and is useless in 2021. Making matters worse, the only way to turn your card back on is -- you guessed it -- through your US phone number. (Apparently, the bank can't afford to make international phone calls.) I am continuously disappointed (and put in serious risk) because of this bank.

Original review: March 11, 2021

I bought my truck last year and it was financed through Key Bank. I had a habit of paying my loan at the last minute. Only 2 or 3 times it was late. As soon as the date was up the company called my work 3-4 times a day asking for me. I called the company several times to tell them to stop calling. They even called after I made a payment! I put it in writing to stop calling. For months they called my work. The company said they only had my work number after I changed it to my cell, several times. I just refinanced and thank goodness.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2021

After spending the last two days on hold and numerous hours speaking with representatives from KeyBank it has come to my attention that there is possibly a Nationwide Unemployment Fraud taking place that needs to be looked into further. I am bringing this to Consumer Affairs because I am hoping that this is something other people can be made aware of the current situation.

I spoke to KeyBank representatives from Customer Service, a manager from Disputes, and a manager from the Fraud Alerts Department. They all assured me that this was a larger unemployment fraud issue that is going on and not localized to just me or KeyBank, but rather many banks and unemployment as a whole. As if that should give me assurance after explaining to each of them that someone had accessed my Login information, changed it and then proceeded to extract funds over three days and three transactions leaving me with $0.11 in my account.

The fraudulent party had access to my Login username, password, and two of five security questions which rotate to gain access to my account. Thankfully this Login information is unique to this account only. This sounds like an internal and/or an even larger issue at this point. KeyBank and Unemployment is giving no warnings to their account holders at this time. After filing a claim with their disputes department their only answers to the current situation are to cancel my current debit card, change my login information which I can't access until I receive my new debit card in seven to ten business days, and wait an additional ten to fifteen business days to hear from disputes. In an already struggling situation for the individual, this response on their behalf seems criminal from a large banking corporation that is profiting from unemployment distribution.

KeyBanks' hold times are insane even in Covid time, gauged in days not hours, customer service is woefully uninformed and non sympathetic, both managers were utterly clueless and had kids screaming in the background while on the phone. Hopefully this is something that with the internet and research, Consumer Affairs can help educate the public on the broader scope of the fraud.

Key Bank Company Information