1.09/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

456 Key Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Key Bank is a bank that makes frauds, my sister sent the payments of the house and having the receipts, Key Bank sent a letter supposedly 4 months are due and they put the house in foreclosed. Sincerely this bank are robbers.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

My mother passed away and was an account holder with KIS. After her death, I requested beneficiary claims paperwork on 12/17/18 and was told they would send the documents to me immediately. I have never received the documents and have been told twice that they must have been lost in the mail. I have left several messages and have not had a return call as requested. I am now filing complaints with the SEC and FINRA.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

There should be a rating with NEGATIVE STARS. If so, this bank would be a five negative star. I'm not upset as I'm writing this. I'm calm. My company account with over half a million dollars of federal funds for a rural electrification project straight from the US Treasury was closed with NO NOTICE except an email that says "As requested, your account is closed." We did not ask for the account to be closed. The branch manager stated he only found out when I wrote him and after I called him n times. The customer relationship person was on leave. After a dozen calls to the national Customer Service, Customer I.D. and Financial Wellness on several numbers and half a dozen representatives over 24 mad hours I was told that a letter was "found." The letter could not be sent to me via email to view.

The letter was dated 3 months earlier in October 2018 and had been mailed. I said I did not receive ANY NOTICE. I was told only the bank branch manager knew the reason for closure and could Print out the letter! (The attitude of the customer service people is in retrospect just juvenile, "Oh ah can't do that..." That's sort of it. "Oh ok let me put you on hold..." About 10 minutes later... "Oh yeah it's another department let me transfer you.") The branch manager finally wrote a brief email saying that all he found out was that the account was closed because the relationship posed a risk. (During account setup, we provided all the required original legal documentation for the company and personnel, all the funds deposited in the account were US treasury or government funds.) The account balance would be mailed to the USA address in 7-10 days. That was it.

During my phone conversation with the bank manager, 17 days later, he stated he did not have nor saw a letter of closure or such notice in October 2018. Again, 17 days later, no check, I and others are scrambling crazy with vendors and personnel unpaid during Xmas month! We are now told after half a dozen phone calls to the branch manager that the check was mailed to another address overseas, contrary to the bank manager's email and my own instructions to Customer Service. No tracking, no courier. He did not know how or why that happened. OMG. We asked that the check be sent to the Branch for pickup. Not possible says the branch manager. A stop payment will be made, and "depending on that" a new check will be issued, and mailed. But, no definite timeline about this and when the payment will be received.

I ask for the check to be couriered or trackable mailed! It's over half a million dollars, not my personal money either! He does not know anything else. It's out of his control. The other person is still on leave. Some "analyst" (really what better title could the bank have chosen!) from Financial Wellness was on the phone while I was speaking to the branch manager, saying in a condescending dismissive, "Don't waste my time" way, things like, "We will mail the check, ok nothing more to say, ok, ok, that's it, yes you're welcome, you're welcome. Bye." Click. No it's not ok. You and your bank policies and way of doing or not doing things have created a CRISIS in which the customer has NO ROLE.

PS. During the only telephone conversation with the bank manager he was trying to be customer service oriented - "I understand, I understand, but I... Don't know. It's out of your and my control." Who is in control? Who can he call? He does not know either. This was the icing on the cake after all kinds of similar experiences with phone based international or domestic wire transfer payments to vendors - shuttled between departments that know NOTHING of each other. Oh call them ah don't know.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Marketing offers - This bank running a scam to offer up to $400 if open a new account. Be aware - for 12 months you will not be able to close this account without fee and also they charge different monthly fees from this account as well.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I have been banking with Key Bank since 1983. I have NEVER had a problem. Every time I have needed to call customer service the representative has always been polite and helpful. When I moved from one side of the state to another there was no disruption of services during the transfer of my accounts from one branch to another. When I do have to go to the branch the staff has been friendly and courteous even on the busiest days. I love the fact that they have Saturday hours. I don't understand why there have been so many complaints. Maybe those complaints are plans by competitors or maybe the attitude of the caller to begin with is too aggressive.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Key Bank?

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I called the 1-866-295-2955 and I get is the ** language of the US. This is America and the official language US is English, didn't you people get the email from President Trump? I pressed the operator button 50+ times and could get nothing for a response.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Absolutely the WORST customer service and service in general when dealing with your bank. I am paid ahead on my loan, so I asked when my next payment would be due, I was told 1/24/19 for .00. Well if nothing is owed then that can't be my next due date. They said, "Well the system won't tell us that..." Really??? That answer makes ZERO sense. I asked, "Well can you call someone in loan department and ask them?" "No, but I can give YOU a number to call." Seriously?!?! WHY is it so hard for Key Bank employees to know or find out how to properly process a payment and be able to answer simple loan inquiries? I HATE dealing with your company, if it hadn't been a dealer loan I never would have had a loan with you and never will again.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

No help on disputing a charge. Never sent paperwork or followed up. I had to be my own advocate. Bank hours are terrible. Employees act like they hate working there. They see you as a dollar sign not as a person. No point to invest money into this place. They don’t care. BEWARE!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Take your money elsewhere, there is no point in trying to work with these people. Their online information is not up to current banking standards and often times does not exist. I have tried for over a month to gain access to my data online, but they are unable to assist.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Giving everybody a heads up about Key Bank annuity and trying to get money. The broker keeps saying the check is in the mail when we need money for Mom's bills and rent. Still waiting and she past away Thanksgiving.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

If I could give Key Bank 000000 Stars I would. I only to deal with Key thru my job. They issued us pay cards... Well mine's was damaged and I called to get a new card... because my address wasn't updated by me but by Corporate. I am beyond pissed. I got paid 11/2/2018... And still can't order a card. I received a 5 day notice yesterday because I haven't been able to pay rent due to me not having a working card. This is ** and I'm calling BBB once I finish posting my review. Went online and opened an account with NAVY FEDERAL and was able to transfer 250 - the most they allow... While my other monies is just sitting on that card.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

The loan department has been nothing but a headache and nightmare since the day they bought out First Niagara Bank. Records from a vehicle loan are lost, primary phone number and Customer is wrong, and refuse to change it. They repeatedly call over and over again every day except for Sunday to talk to the primary person that does not live here. Even when the bill is paid they still call and tell you it’s late. They returned payment for lack of funds even though the funds are there and then say I’m going to charge you a Late fee.

When funds are released for payment they don’t pull them until it is already late and then charges a late fee. If you call them to tell them to take the money out they don’t. Car payment was made that kept the money until it was late and then charge the fee and then credit the account. A payment was made early and it went towards the principal instead of the payment. Late fee was charged and another payment needed to be made. Meanwhile credit reports her being ruined. Under no circumstance should anybody use this bank EVER!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

My Grandmother has been paying for my deceased sister's student loans from Key Bank for the past two years. Every other loan for her Masters Degree was forgiven even through other private banks. Key Bank is by far the most crooked company ever. I called. They tried several times to get me off the phone with them just because I asked about the student loans after the student's death. I was just trying to ask them for information, nothing account specific. DO NOT use Key for any borrowing! PNC just asked for a death certificate and we never heard a peep about anything.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

We originally had our mortgage with First Niagara. Since Key Bank took it over, it has been nothing but a nightmare. They refuse to accept and properly handle payments made to principal only. We were told we cannot make payments to principal only in excess of our monthly payment because their computer programs cannot handle this. We were told in addition we can not make payments to the principal either 5 days prior to our automatic withdrawal, or 5 days after. This is all illegal, and seems like bank fraud. They make it extremely difficult to make extra payments - why? So they can steal more money from you. This is a nightmare. Please join me in filing a lawsuit against them, and going to every oversight agency. Consumers do not deserve this.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

We had to use Key Bank being that they bought out our previous bank. We should have realized there would be issues when our home went without insurance for a few months because they “forgot” to pay it with our mortgage. Now they have a newer policy where they hold a check for 5 days till they deposit it if you have overdrafted within the last 6 months.

I can see that with a personal check but with a corporate check from an insurance company, no. We needed that money to pay to fix my car, now I have to wait 5 days extra till I get my car back...ridiculous! So not only do they get you with the overdraft charges, now this. Oh and the teller says to me “you can avoid overdrafting with a line of credit or a credit card through us,” seriously, so it’s all to make more money, they don’t care about the consumer. The only good they ever did for us was catch a fraudulent charge on our account and I’m grateful for that. We will be joining a credit union very soon!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Since I've been with Key Bank it's been nothing but a hassle to get things done. Just this week I've tried to send my son money online 4 times and every time they restrict my account and tell me I need to go in for them to unlock it which is extremely tough when you work on a fishing boat. Key Bank hates to release your funds. Period. Each time they blamed the restriction on strange activity when in reality there is nothing strange about it. Not once did I make report or buy anything that may raise a flag. I simply made attempts at sending him money overseas which is consistently blocked by the bank.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

Opened a Money Market at Collier Twp. Branch. Explained that I knew rates were probably going up but because of a relative being ill and me just moving I had little time to follow increase in rates. Woman employee guaranteed she would mark on her computer a reminder to call with any rate increases. After interest rates were raised (and Key Bank's money market rates were increased 10 days prior) I contacted Kelly, who claimed she had been sick and they were short handed at the bank. Shared with her that none of this were my problem. I had even said at initial meeting that if she was too busy I would understand, but she guaranteed she would let me know.

With absolutely no satisfaction, from Kelly, just lame excuses, contacted bank manager. He used the same excuses... I shared that when I was off sick I made sure that my boss knew of any necessary business that I had to conduct and asked her to either take my place or contact parent to let them knew I was sick and wold handle as soon as I returned... Told manager this was not McDonald's and asked when she became ill.

He said last week, which meant rates were already increased and that they had increased before she became ill. Also, I contacted her and probably would never have been contacted... Reached out to corporate and was treated with no respect. Key Bank should have offered me retroactive interest, but they apparently do not care about their customers... Tried to reach Christoher M. Gorman. A number was listed on website, but was non-functioning... Guess with a one star rating he could not take the heat. Mr. Gorman you stated that a bank is only good as its customers... if so, where was my respect. Will be leaving your back ASAP. Mr Gorman maybe you should review your reviewers! Do not make statements that claim customers are important and then treat them with no respect or dignity.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

I had a small hobby business checking account. I used it solely for occasional transactions like business license fees, membership dues, and occasional derives. As a busy mom, the business was inactive for a while; I had another baby and stopped looking at my account statements because I knew there was no activity. Many months later, I go to write a check and go online to view my balance. The bank had initiated a $5 service fee and had halved the amount in my small account by the time I noticed. Yes, I should have paid attention.

The manager said he could only refund $5. The customer service response via email was smug and snarky about how I should have noticed the small fine print at the bottom of a statement detailing the new fee was being added. Don’t trust this bank. Watch your accounts at Key Bank very carefully because they will add fees and hope you don’t notice. I was almost too embarrassed to write this. But hopefully someone will be forewarned - and it was a good lesson for $150. I’ve closed all my accounts at Key.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I have been with Key Bank for years and have never been charge for using the ATM by my house and I have always used it all the time more than twice and they will not refund my $45 that they took at the end of September for an ATM withdrawal fee for using that ATM more than twice and previous months. I have use that ATM more than twice but they refused to give me my money and they say that that’s just how it is. So please don’t ever go to this bank. It is just ridiculous and I’m over being overdrawn all the time for ridiculous fees that I have never heard of.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I would not even give this bank one star if less than that was an option. The customer service is the absolute worst of any bank I've dealt with. They take days sometimes up to 5 days to process transactions, some of which are bills that I have had set up through auto pay for years and never had this issue before when it was First Niagara so I'm well aware this is an issue with KeyBank and not the other businesses processing time. I have had them give overdraft fees when my check was deposited the same day as the charge but processed the charge before my check. I have also deposited checks and they have taken multiple days to put the money into my account causing overdraft.

Most recently I had an unauthorized payment taken out for something that was cancelled and the bank informed me it would take 10 business days to refund me the money, one I don't believe it should take that long since I spoke to the company that made the charge for a loan and they agreed it was the error so there did not need to be any investigation or dispute, they are actually the ones that told me to contact my bank and report it as an unauthorized payment so it could be credited. But here it is October 10th and I still have not had my money refunded.

This bank is honestly a disgrace to any financial institution and after all this I plan to close my account and go elsewhere. I strongly recommend people not even considering this bank as option. I know this sounds harsh but I have only been with this bank maybe a few years and honestly have had nothing but issues with them and initially tried to give them the benefit of the doubt when they first took the place of First Niagara but it had never improved and if you try to talk to them about any issues the customer service is rude and not helpful at all.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I was referred to Key bank by Nordstrom Heating and AC Inc. I was told no interest for 15 months. I called my local Key Bank near Arlington WA to ask if that is true. Answer was yes no interest on new loans for 15 months. When my first statement arrived I had been charged a $250 fee. They have refused to refund it.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I get this error every time I've tried to sign in today: The User ID or password is incorrect. Please try again. The only way to log in is to keep changing your password. Also there are JavaScript errors and the only way to log out is to just dump the browser. The fonts on the site are all distorted and will not render properly. I am a former IT specialist: software and website development. I called Key customer service three times and they tell me there is nothing wrong with the site, yet the first one I spoke to, Michelle told me they had been working on the site today.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

I know hate is a strong word and probably not a good term to describe an emotion, but I HATE this bank!! I check my balance on a daily basis before using my debit card for purchases just to be sure I'm not overdrafting. Every time I call the customer service or even the branch, I'm always lied to or getting the runaround!! Within 2 days I was charged $212 in overdraft fees after being told several different times by several different people that my account will not be overdrawn!!! So I deposited the money into the account to bring the acct positive so that I can close it IMMEDIATELY! After I deposited the money into the account I called customer service to close the acct, they asked me why do I want to close the acct? I told them the truth which is their fees are ridiculously high!! All of sudden after telling the rep my reason for wanting to close this acct, she says, "Well you can't close the acct today due to a returned charge pending."

I said, "Well when can I close it?" She said, "Since the charge will be cleared tomorrow you can close it tomorrow!" I asked her several times since I just made a deposit (which included the overdraft fee for the returned charge that she's telling me about), "Will my acct still be in the positive?" She assured me that it would! Lo and behold this morning I wake up to another overdraft fee that took my account right back in the negative even after the rep told me this would not happen since I already included the overdraft fee for that returned charge she was telling me about. So I called customer service again, just to be told that the previous rep must have overlooked something! I was pissed! I already opened another acct with another bank. As soon as the branch open, I am closing this trifling acct IMMEDIATELY and will NEVER bank with Key Bank again! I see why people call Key Bank FEE BANK!!!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Horrible service - staff lacks obvious training and they possess no desire to do a good job. How can you be working in a bank and be unfamiliar with FDIC Insurance? They were terribly rude as well, Suyen ** claims to be a compliance officer on LinkedIn, Luis ** the banker who also called himself the Officer in Charge and the silly kid named Damion ** who made what he considered to be a silly joke about my appearance - How rude. Avoid this place.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I closed my checking account on the 5th of September and was told my $3300.00 would be mailed to me in 10 days. It's now September 29th and still no check. When I call it's always another department that is responsible for the situation. They have ran out of the excuse, "It's in the mail." Where is my $3300.00??

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

When we obtained our mortgage, Key Bank mandated that we set up an escrow account. In spite of having sufficient funds in the escrow account, Key Bank neglected to pay our homeowner's insurance bill by the due date, which resulted in my receiving a cancellation notice. I have made several phone calls and been placed on hold, then transferred, then placed on hold again. On 3 different days, after these exasperating calls, I have been assured that the payment would be overnighted that same night. And yet it has not happened. My insurance company tells me that no claim will be processed for the period that the policy is in unpaid status. If my house burns down tonight, it will be a total loss to me... and Key Bank! LAWSUIT TIME I guess...

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I redeemed my points with Relationship Rewards program and close this service same day. I specifically ask Key Bank rep if this is OK to close it same day. I was ensure that she check with Relationship Rewards team and I'm going to receive a gift card. After 2 month I realized I did get it! I call Key Bank and Relationship Rewards team. Relationship Rewards told me my redeem did not go thru... They can redeem it if I sign up for this program again. Pay $40 fee and THEN they give me $25 gift card.

Few years ago I pay school tax online. Key Bank was need 4 days before they send my check and I was late with my payment. As you know Tax collector need envelope stamp be before due day. I was charged fee. Contact Key Bank. They refused to pay my fee because "I should not use Key Bank to pay tax". Lesson learn. You keep it in mind too...

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

Key Bank stopped a check I was cashing from my employer. I always got direct deposit but my employer gave me a personal check. I went to a branch and cashed it. I put it directly in my account. I was thinking it may take a day to get in my account but nope. The branch "back office" at this branch submitted to fraud. The reason, because it was a personal check and it looked suspicious. Mind you it's around the same time I get paid. I think they saw a brown person walk in to cash a check and held it. I don't see no other reasons. I called the fraud department but they couldn't take the hold off because the "back office" of this branch has to take the hold off. Well the branch is telling me their "back office" did it and can't take it off. At the same time customer service is saying, Their back office at their branch could take it off. Anyway it's a week later. Still no money in my account. Nothing's wrong with my employers check. I don't know what's going on.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

My elderly father (91 years old) recently relocated from Pennsylvania to California to live with me. We submitted an online change of address and shortly afterwards his ATM card was declined. We called the number on the back of the card and was told the problem had to be resolved by the branch and we needed to call back Monday. Called the branch Monday. They were busy. Left messages. Calls were not returned, Tuesday tried again from the number on back of the card. Was told by an operator to speak with the branch manager.

Contacted him Wednesday. Was told to email him a notarized letter stating the transfer was properly authorized. Did this Wednesday. Have been leaving messages for the past two days, was hung up on by someone in the branch today (Friday) because Jeremy was with a client and they were busy. I was referred to customer service where I have been waiting for 23 minutes. It has been a week and the funds are still frozen after I followed their instructions and cannot find out the status.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

I've been banking with Key for close to 2 years. I've deposited every single paycheck I've received since changing to Key. Today I deposited my paycheck via my mobile account. Usually when depositing my check, I'm given access to 100.00, until the check clears. Today I found out that you're not given access to any money when doing it by the mobile account. That doesn't make any sense to me. I've deposited checks by the same company before, and was given the 100.00, but not when doing it this way. I'm done with Key Bank. They're never there when you need them.

Key Bank Company Information