Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.05/5

Key Bank Reviews

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

Beware of this bank. They have very strict rules and unnecessary fees. In fact I applied for a small car loan and even though my credit score was above 700 my application was rejected because I had previously sought the help of a debt consolidation company. Afterwards I received a 400 dollar offer from Key Bank stating that if I deposited 500 dollars or more into a new account they in turn would deposit 400 dollars into that account. However as soon as I opened the new account they placed a restriction on it and froze my initial deposit. Worst yet they then proceeded to close the account and retain my initial deposit. Frankly speaking Key Bank is horrible. Take your money somewhere else.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

My truck came with a defective part which I pointed out to the sales manager. He refused to replace it because it is not one of 'their' parts. It was a part to hold down the cover on the back of a pickup truck. They promised then to replace when I spoke to the Sales manager and told them they could have the truck back because it was dangerous to drive the truck without the part as the whole cover would SLAM up against the back window when it is windy out. This was over 5 weeks ago that he ordered it and now refuses to take my call when I call for status of the piece. I called Key Bank saying I won't pay for a truck that is too dangerous to drive, and they told me to call a lawyer. THAT IS ALL!!!! THEY WON'T STAND BEHIND MY PURCHASE.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

Good advise.. Take your money to another ACCREDITED BANK.. This bank is not reliable, they grossly mismanage accounts and they make you jump through hoops and red tape then put UNREASONABLE HOLDS on checks deposited into your account. This bank is into doing dirty shady wrongful business and their customer assistants are the bottom of the barrel and are #BOTTOMFEEDRS in all respects.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

Security is too secure. Can't get in my own account. Password does not work and should. Failed security questions and should not have because I write everything down in case I forget. They are very insistent on texting verification, sorry I do not text. Now this bank says I have to go to my branch which always has a long line due to lack of tellers. Now after nearly an hour on the phone with Key Bank and now speaking to a supervisor who also insist on text finally comes up with a resolution for voice mail to leave me the code. This finally worked and the first person I talked to should have offered.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

They nail you with all sorts of ridiculous fees, especially when using your debit card. For at least 4 months, there was a charge of $28.75 that they kept saying I was taking out of my cash machine. YOU CANNOT TAKE THAT AMOUNT OFF A CASH MACHINE. No one ever has access to my card or account, but the activity kept occurring. They have not, to this day, found out the reason for this odd transaction to take place. I've spent so much time on the phone with them, its ridiculous.

I deposited a $5,000 check for Christmas. The teller told me she would NOT put a hold on it, as she knew it was for my children's Christmas present. I began shopping, and 2 days later, they put a hold on it, claiming they thought it was fake. The check was from Wells Fargo, a well known bank. At this point my account had everything bouncing. I have had to stop 3 debit cards, and we all know how frustrating it is to have to put all of our new information into how we pay our on-line bills etc. It has been a NIGHTMARE! If you use your debit card at a business that runs your card as an ATM withdrawal, Key charges $12 dollars, which you don't know about until it's already taken from you. Who the hell does that?? All I can say, is that I will never go back to Key, nor will anyone I know. Banking should be simple. My entire experience with them has been awful.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Key Bank?

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

Pros: Was able to easily open up an account online. Approval was fast. There are lots of branches and atm's all over (which should normally be a convenience). App works reasonably well. Only $10 required to open. Cons: Security questions I just set up didn't work. My first deposits were mobile deposits. A hold was placed on them for 8 days (from 01/14 to 01/22). No part of the funds were made available to me. I was told that I would be receiving a debit card in a week, but no debit card had been sent at all.

When I called customer service I was treated rudely and the representative I spoke to didn't understand what I meant by "Deposit Agreements" even after I explained it to her. I was also mailed documents which I was told I needed to sign and return then found out from the branch manager (Scott) that there were no such documents required.

I became dissatisfied with the "service" I received and decided to close the account only to find out that I had accidentally agreed to pay a $25 closing fee during the first 6 months. After I closed the account and paid the $25 fee I decided to un-enroll from online banking because I don't need it now and was told (via chat) that if I did I would never be permitted to open an online account through KeyBank again. Never. NEVER. That seems kinda strange to me, but I consented.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

The Key Bank website prompts customer to answer questions to which have never been asked to gain access to the individual's own account. Upon calling in hopes of getting back into my account and being sent to numerous departments and being asked many questions and answering them correctly, I am still no further to gaining access to my personal information. NO THANKS TO KEY BANK. Highly do not recommend using this banking institute.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

A few years back Key Bank abruptly locked my account with no explanation when I was traveling, effectively stranding me in South Carolina. When I got on the phone with them they told me the only way I could unlock the account (they erroneously locked for no reason) was to appear in person at a Key Bank branch and prove my identity. When I asked for the location of the nearest branch, I was informed it was in Virginia, something the customer representative I was speaking with found endlessly amusing. I on the other hand did not. I had to borrow money from a relative to buy a plane ticket home because I had no access to the $5,000+ sitting in my checking account.

Needless to say, I immediately removed all of my funds from Key Bank when I returned home and set up all my accounts with another bank. To add insult to injury, however, Key Bank bought out my new bank a couple of years later, making it necessary to change banks AGAIN to get away from them. They are the worst bank on earth. Avoid them at all costs.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

An unauthorized person fraudulently accessed my checking account, with the assistance of a Key Bank employee, emptied all the money out of it ($44,470) by transferring it into his account at the same bank, then closed my account. And despite numerous contacts with Key, they refuse to do anything about it, even resorting to lying to me to try to find an excuse for how it happened! I'm being forced to go to the police because Key bank refuses to admit their responsibility in this matter.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

Do not waste your time or money with Elkhart Indiana branches. They are constantly hitting people up with NSF fees for 38 dollars and 18 dollar service fees. Took 100 for a 7 dollar mess up when I was in hospital with heart attack causing a financial burden in return taking food out of my children's mouth. Called. Told my situation with a lying response saying their hands tied....B.S! I'm taking my business elsewhere. Beware they will steal from you!

Not sure about Key Bank?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right mortgage company for you.

Key Bank Company Information