1.13/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 20, 2017

369 Key Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Asking for help when my account was considered blocked. I did nothing wrong. Although I believed a CO. was legitimate. It was not, now I am being looked at as a fraud. I just want an acceptable company who can provide me with a checking account!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

I got a Discover personal loan deposited into my Key Bank account. They money has been in the account for almost a month. I do not use this account much, so I wanted the money to sit until I needed it for closing cost on a home and wedding expenses. We went to withdraw some of the funds as a cashier's check to give to the title company at the closing and was told we couldn't get it, that they had to verify where the funds came from. It clearly says an ACH deposit from Discover.

So for 2 weeks now, my account has been restricted. I have faxed in documentation from Discover. I have been hung up on, talked to rudely and given the runaround. The branch that put the restriction on the account says I need to talk to someone named Jamie, someone name Franklin says I need to talk to the branch. The branch manager said he would reach out to Jamie. I call the next day and he says he forgot to do it. They are not telling me how to resolve this. We missed the closing on the house and are now out of money. They do not seem to care. Someone from the executive offices called me. I told her everything and she said she would look into it and that she would be my point of contact. I still have not heard back from her.

How long does it take to call the branch and ask why have you restricted this account and then tell me a solution. Banks hold a check for 7 business days to make sure the funds will clear, this was a deposit of funds from Discover Bank that has been in the account for almost a month. Why do you need to verify the funds? Discover even told me that they have a number that can be called to verify the funds. I have automatic payments set up to pay for the Discover loan that I can't even access, that payment will be due soon. Why does it take two weeks to call and verify funds? They do not care that this money is needed. They DO NOT care about their customers. They play with your finances and lives for no reason at all.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I just opened a business account at Key Bank. The manager, Isaac **, assisted us. The service I received was exceptional. He explained all my options. He answered all my questions and he did not rush me or push me in any direction other than the one I told him I wanted to achieve. Best bank customer service I have ever received. AAA+.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Seems to be a theme with Key Bank. I was charged overdraft fees when they first merged with First Niagra. The transfer of accounts messed up all my bills and I was charged too many overdraft charges to count. They took days to refund them and I owed additional fees to creditors because of their error. Fast Forward to today. Zero overdrafts to date since then. Noticed a low balance on the Key Bank app. Transferred money to cover. 2 days later the transaction ledger was 'edited' to show a charge prior to the charge. Backdating. In addition, the fee was compounded all other debits by adding charges to that. Hard to follow right? After 8 days and 10 overdraft fees, a direct deposit to cover well in excess and 'recurring overdraft' fee for having the overdrafts I was told, "we can't help you."

Understood. The worst part was when I went into the bank on Day 5 to confirm no other charges are pending, they looked me in the eye and said 'we are not showing any pending transactions'. AND not consenting to allowing KeyBank to pay the charges. The following day another 2 overdrafts were on the ledger. One for a check from six weeks prior. Are you kidding me? I am not. The total cost of this ended up being $409. The local bank will do nothing to overturn it or contact the parties needed to overturn it.

I am leaving Key Bank. Especially after being at this same location for over 20 years and multiple acquisitions. They are losing in excess of $6000 in deposits from us personally not to mention the 3 non profit organizations that my wife and I are part of. I will be sure to let everyone know of my experience. 1st time shame on me. Oh well. BUT 11? Seriously? I am currently taking screenshots. This is deceptive practice. Need to change this. If the money isn't there, don't pay it!!! Lastly, I am not part of overdraft and I specifically gave 'NO CONSENT' to pay if my charge exceeds my balance. Onto the OCC to file a complaint and onto the state government of Connecticut and onto the Attorney's and onto the Better Business Bureau.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

We applied for a mortgage with Key Bank and we realized it would be in the words of the loan officer an "uphill battle, but do-able"! After 2 MONTHS of jumping through hoops and providing the underwriter with everything they requested including getting documents from Germany where my husband was stationed translated, paying for an appraiser etc. and getting close to our CLOSING DATE these unprofessional cowards SENT US A AUTO-GENERATED LETTER to let us know we did not get the loan even though we had been in phone contact on an almost daily basis!

The realtor received a phone call as did the seller's realtor that WE did not get the loan, so EVERYONE knew we did not get the loan but US! Until we got the letter 2 days later! How unprofessional is that! We lost not only 2 months of our lives, waiting, stressing, worrying because we were in temporary housing with 4 kids with no heating, a lot of money we had invested for appraisers, downpayment etc. and ended up losing our dream home! Not even so much as a valid explanation and now they won't even return our calls or all of our documents we provided!

On top of that we have had nothing but problems with all other aspects of Key Bank, such as online banking, bill pay (people don't receive their money for 10-14 days AFTER initiating the payment! And not letting us know when changes to our account have been made such as reducing the amount that we can withdraw at an ATM. I have a special account set up for my mother in Germany to access the account per ATM and she depends on being able to withdraw $1000 on the first to pay her bills on time.

I was ASSURED by the branch manager after 2 months of issues that he had permanently raised the limit to $1000 only to find out again today that this was reduced again because of a new policy! AGAIN WITHOUT INFORMING US! And then I am spoken to in a rude manner by the teller because I am clearly upset! Horrible bank! In every aspect!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Key Bank?

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

We have had nothing but problems with this bank since they took over our old bank. When they took over, they screwed up our account so bad that what they claim to have seen and what we were seeing was two completely different account histories. This caused a conflict with auto bill pay. They then changed to Key Holdings, while still keeping the branches as Key Bank. This again caused issues with auto bill pay, as well as direct deposit. This was also done without notifying their customers. They have changed policies without notification as well as refuse to provide documentation of the policy changes. They have also held direct deposits, and debits for an extended period of time. At times going 2+ weeks, and at one point over a month. We have also found that they have altered the final payment on a loan that was from the previous bank that would cause the loan not to be paid off as required in the terms of the loan.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I’ve had Key Bank since they bought first Niagara. Never had any issues other than charging overdraft fees which are honestly insane. But that’s another story. So I deposited a check and upon realizing it was a scam, called my bank to let them know and ask if they could do anything about it. They said no, just wait they’ll investigate. I said thank you. A few days later, I checked my account, and it was negative the amount the check was written for. I called them and asked about it. They told me to wait until tomorrow for the check to clear. I said, "Fine I’ll check again and call you tomorrow."

SAME THING. They kept putting me on hold, told me to wait, that there was nothing they could do. I told them that was unacceptable, that I’d had to call four different times, and they would have to figure something out. They just told me to go to the branch. I said, "no, I don’t live by a branch anymore otherwise I wouldn’t have been calling you so often." I asked them repeatedly to get rid of the account and they said no. Honestly the worst customer service I have ever experience. I’m so upset.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I have had my Key Bank open for less than 6 months and, somehow, have paid close to $600, if not more, in overdraft fees. According to the branch manager, at the Smoky Hill and Buckley location in Colorado, Key Bank doesn't have "live banking," meaning transactions can be posted days later, depending on how Key Bank feels. I had several transactions, 9 to be exact, that should have been posted and processed on Saturday, when I had a positive balance, instead it was processed 4 days after my account had a few cents in it. So, of course, my account became negative due to these transactions posting days after and my account incurred 9 overdraft fees at $37 each. The branch manager refunded 3 and told me to blast Key Bank on social media so hopefully there is a change but he couldn't do a thing about it, besides be nonchalant and careless. DO NOT BANK AT KEY BANK!!!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I opened an account with Key in March prior to a move to a new state. I had to call them to get them to send me a debit card which was perhaps the first sign of trouble. This past Monday, I received a call from their fraud detection department with the news that someone had attempted to make a fraudulent purchase using my card. This happened once when I was with PNC, so I understand that these things happen and that this is the price we pay for the convenience of using these cards on a regular basis. Unfortunately, things could have been handled in a far more efficient fashion. I was told that it would take 3-5 business days for them to send a new card; it's now Saturday, 6 days after the call. I have no card, and we won't have mail again until Tuesday.

There's no reason for this kind of delay, but what was truly galling was when the account representative gave me the "opportunity" to have a card shipped to me in an expedited fashion for $25, a steep price for a sliver of plastic. I can't help but wonder about the ethics of taking advantage of customers who face these circumstances. Though the representative told me that I could pick up a temporary debit card at a local office, an unspecified error prevented this, so I have no access to my account or the ability to update automatic payments linked to the card until next week. I'm very disappointed with Key's lackadaisical approach to issuing new cards following fraudulent activity and their willingness to charge customers more to expedite the process above.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I have done banking with several banks in the past, however, I have NEVER been treated or taken advantage of like I have with KEY BANK. This bank constantly overdrafts accounts that have a positive balance and try to justify their actions as they talk in circles around you. The bottom line, after several phone calls, no refund and extremely unprofessional. I shredded my debit card immediately, stopped all direct deposits and closed all accounts. I cannot believe how dishonest and crooked Key Bank is and would never ever recommend them to anyone for anything. I will also be having all the overdrafts looked into as they were unjustified. MAKE COPIES OF EVERYTHING IF YOU BANK HERE!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

When I opened my account, the account manager is very "nice". I asked her in very detail to make sure no any maintenance charge. After about 6 months, I found I was charged $3 for no reason. So, I closed that account immediately. I have another direct deposit account with Key Bank. They told me that account is "safe" since I have direct deposit. They will never charge me. I received a statement today, I was charged $18 "maintenance service charge". I have more than $8000 there, and deposit $1000 each month. What kind of greedy bank? I have account with TD bank for more than 15 years. They never charge me with anything. The minimum balance is only $250.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

If negative stars was possible, I'd give negative 3. Twelve years ago I signed on as co-signer for my under-age college bound daughter's overdraft protection. Twelve years later after receiving zero communication from Key Bank, my daughter calls to tell me she cannot access her over-draft account and it is only in my name. I check with the bank to find it is now $10,000, been converted to a high-interest loan and I am already three months past due. Not sure yet what was going on. I made a payment of over $700 to get the account current. What I find is that they were "notifying" her via online documents, which you can only see online, regarding overdraft fees and automatic transfers. Nothing comes to you immediately.

First I had to jump through some hoops to be able to look at her checking account as I wasn't automatically given access. Then, in reading through statements which had to be printed off from the online documents - I see they were trying to force checking account customers to use the online notification process by charging a fee if you were not on it. First it was $1 and eventually it was increased to almost $5 per month if you weren't signed up for electronic notification. Now to me, electronic notification means I get a text message or email, but no, you have to go to the website to see what messages there are - including overdraft notices. How often does a person go online to look at their account?

Secondly, this is overdraft protection. Normally I would expect to see a maximum of $500 to $1000 for this kind of account. How the hell was it allowed to grow to $10,000, and to receive zero notices by mail, email or phone?? From 2011 to current she has been charged $14,726.29 in Advances and Fees and $7,827.06 in interest and fees. Each time her balance hit zero they advanced her in increments of $100 and she was charged with a $10 fee. It wasn't enough that she had to pay interest on that at 18%!

In looking through the online only statements you would not even notice that you had been advanced money and charged a fee for it. What stood out was that your balance was x and your minimum payment was y. It was very sneaky in my opinion. Yes, my daughter had to know she was building up a balance and she is not without guilt, but as a co-signer shouldn't I have been notified that this account was in trouble? I've asked for documentation showing that I owe this money. In this electronic age and a bank that insists on doing business electronically I have been now waiting for over two weeks for this information.

I'm sure hundreds of young college-age students were taken advantage of by this bank. The manager told me they had had to do this with "many" accounts. I'm trying to retire and now have a totally unexpected $10,000 debt. This seems like it was designed to do exactly what it did. Build up a big debt without the account holder knowing what was happening. I STILL have received no official notice from the bank, nor any statements or anything. No requests for payment, no documentation, nothing.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I transferred my business accounts to Key Bank and they offered a line of credit. I agreed, on condition they never impose an annual fee. A few years later, without notice, they began to charge an annual fee, and when I protested, they responded by adding late fees and other charges. I wrote numerous letters, including to the CEO, but received no response. The branch manager assured me she would "look into it", but that was the last I heard from her. Key subsequently reported me as a default creditor for what is a paltry amount, thereby injuring my credit. A very bad and unresponsive bank. Stay clear of these guys.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

This bank is crooked and horrible! They have bad customer service on the phone and the manager is crap! I opened my account on a Friday! Deposited cash once at the counter and by Monday my account was closed and no one could tell me why. They also took my money and made the deposit disappear! I spent a whole day trying to get my money back and even then I only got 100 of it. Smh they scam people or something. I don't know but I'll never go back or refer anyone to go there. Bad bad bank.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

This is the second time I have my debit card compromised on a KEY BANK DEBIT CARD. This makes no sense. The first time my Key Bank debit card was four months ago. Here it is September 2017 and now my new debit card had someone making a purchase on the card while I had my debit card in my hand. This makes no sense. I had to wait seven days for KEY BANK to refund my money on a new debit card. There is something going on with KEY BANK DEBIT CARDS. I have never seen where a debit card transaction goes through as Credit card transaction. There is something fishy going on with this bank. If, you have had your debit card hacked or compromised please report this to the police in any state. KEY BANK sucks!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

Seeking a job, a man in New York offer me a job and sales commission. Money was transfer to my account to transfer to other buyers and was deposited to Key Bank. There were checks issue and checks were pending to be cleared.There were 3 checks issued. The last two checks were pending and Key Bank allowed them to be transfer back to sender of the checks. I was held liable for all of the fraudulent checks issued. I filed a report to Key Bank fraud department but the department did not investigate and claim I am liable.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

Deposited a check from trust account in Key Bank. Expected a hold but now 5 days and account is overdrawn. Wow. Bank said you get 100.00 upfront rest when released. Ok so I checked my balance had 77.00 in there and took 60.00 out 2 days later in 90.02 overdrawn went in ask about it. They said something about fees they didn't seem to concern, they said "Your funds will be posted N.L.T. the 18th." My rent is due the 10th so more service fees. I'm going to go back to Wells Fargo when check is posted.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

The branch manager at Latta Road & Long Pond named "Pam" is worthless for any assistance in matters. Every interaction I have had with her she could not arrange for a settlement fairly. She treats me as I am just any other client and for me being a long term client and more than monies to settle any issue she will account for this a positive issue for the client. I guess I am having exactly what I keep hearing from most clients that have been taken over by Key from HSBC and initially was Marine Midland. It just seems to me that Key doesn't consider long term clients to be worth keeping and they would just as soon the client move on to another bank rather than to make concessions that could be positive for the client.

For this I guess you don't really need a bank as I have enough headaches without them given to me by the banking manager. This manager is always full of sorrys and apologies, but when it comes to the nitty gritty of business and assistance with different that help out the clients she hasn't a clue what this means. I guess with great regret initially I may have to pull my 6 or so and business accounts out and may have to seek out Canandaigua National Bank with my banking issues from now on since Key is only interested in making money from their clients and not client satisfaction.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

I have been a customer with Key Bank for years. Since their merge with First Niagara it has been nothing but a nightmare. They are so far behind in processing, transactions go through before deposits made on same day resulting in a domino affect of overdraft fees. When this first happened a few months ago I contacted the executive offices and 2 weeks later I was reimbursed over 1,000 in fees and told it was only half as they can only go back 60 days. There's an old saying, "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me." Should have closed my account then. After coming back for being out of country my account was overdrawn due to a payment being released earlier than it was suppose too, first how did they allow that to happen???

Second I immediately entered more than enough cash to cover it. Don't you know 3 days later the fees start coming. I submitted a complaint to CFPB and on the 15th day (they have 15 days to respond) they respond that I am not authorized on the account. Now I opened this account for my business many years ago and have been doing business as a signer ever since. When I spoke with Key Bank regarding this they states that they are going through documents and don't see anything for me listed. I HAVE THE OPENING OF ACCOUNT WITH MY SIGNATURE RIGHT ON IT!!! They are thieves and should be shut down. I have already started moving my stuff to a credit union (WHICH BY THE WAY IS AMAZING). I will never bank with this bank again. BEWARE!!!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

We are totally dissatisfied with Key Bank. I receive child support from my ex via check from his account. I do not have an account there. I have been cashing the checks at both Amsterdam and Johnstown branches for years. A few weeks ago I went through the Johnstown Branch to cash the check and was told that since I do not have an account there I would have to go in. I had my young daughter in the car who was sleeping. I went in and cashed the check.

Really?! Because I don't have an account there, I am not able to use the drive thru?! So, today I go to the Johnstown Branch and gave them my passport and the check. The cashier didn't want to cash it because I didn't have my driver's license… unreal. She finally cashed it and told me it is a $7.50 processing fee because I don't have an account with them. Gee… I wonder why. I told the clerk that I have been cashing the said checks for years at their branch and Amsterdam and that Amsterdam even allows me to go through the drive through and that no one has ever told me about said fee. She charged me the fee.

I went to my car and told my husband. He went in to the bank and spoke to a manager. I went back in with him and explained the situation. I told her all of the above… she told me that I could go to Amsterdam and cash it, they don't allow people with no account to go through drive thru because we have to show ID. I told her that I always sent my ID. Needless to say, I was given my $7.50 back, but I am not happy. I will never, ever use Key Bank and my husband is closing his. Customer service is horrible. Greed is another issue.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

This bank is horrible. They placed my payment in some "unapplied" category and it triggered a letter to me saying I am in default of my mortgage, with no remedy and they would be expecting full payment of the loan balance! Their mistake, they had the money in their hands and I get this letter! Disgusting. Then I was told that I have to wait until the next statement to see that they "fixed" the mistake. Hopefully there won't be a lock on my door when I come home from work. Something wrong with upper management and the way this bank is run.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

I am disgusted by all the fees that banks come up to hit their customers with. It is outright robbery. Stop payment on a check should cost you 30.00? They are all thieves.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

Key took 4 days to process a bill pay that I set up with my checking account. So when it finally posted it overdrew my account, although I made a deposit to cover the charge before it posted. I will not be banking with them anymore and I've been a customer for ten years. I am sick of the way they do things!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

I get notifications about activity on my card. Someone did an international transfer and took ALL my money. I only have this card because the state of Alabama uses it for child support. All my child support money was gone and I just received a deposit last week.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

I have been with Key Bank for over 30 years with several personal accounts and for 20 years with business accounts. They have been getting worse and worse over the years with increased fees, horrible customer service and a MONEY HUNGRY drive. Every time I turn around there is a fee, they just closed our overdraft protection account saying "It doesn't meet certain standards" but, can open a new overdraft protection account that of course has tons of fees associated with it, transfer fee and yearly membership fee. They have no problem attaching a fee to anything and everything. They should change their name to Fee Bank, and the tag line use the red fee. I am in the process now of moving accounts to other banks, mortgage was already moved and several business transactions no longer happen with Key. Everyone needs to save themselves some grief and bank someplace else.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

On July 17th a withdraw was made at an ATM at 96 S. Main Street in Franklinville N.Y. which is about 60 miles south of where I live. I noticed it and quickly called the fraud department and filed a dispute. I was nowhere Franklinville that day and haven't been there in years. I received a letter that their investigation determined my card and account was not compromised and there would be no adjustment made.

If I wished I could call and have the documentation that led to their decision was made. I did call and they gave me a runaround. They told me since it was not a Key Bank ATM there was nothing they could do. So I asked whose ATM it was and if a picture of the person who made the transaction was available. They would not tell me who owned the machine and there was nothing they could do and Key Bank refused to cover my loss. That it was against their policy. They suggested I go to The police department in Franklinville and file a report of fraud.

I went there and lo and behold there is no 96 S. Main street. I called Key Bank and tried to point out that the ATM did not exist at that location. They pretty much just blew me off. I went to the police station and the officer (a very nice fellow) said he never heard of such a thing, nor did he know how to file that particular type of report. Tomorrow I am severing my relationship with Key Bank and urge everyone I know, or who reads this to do the same before they let someone take your money and leave you out to dry. They are crooks and working or in my case retired people should avoid any business with this shady institution.

Original review: July 25, 2017

Unfortunately I bought a new car in Nov 2016 and agreed to use Key Bank. It is only now that I hear nightmare stories even from my bank manager. Their website to pay loan online is awful, my last payment after getting to submit popped up a message "unable to process at this time". I logged out, tried 3 more times to log in and finally did. Entering info again... The same amt for the past four months, the loan plus extra toward principal. The next day I saw they took a double payment. The first payment was not even the full amt I always pay. It was just the car payment.

They refused to put back into my account and I had to scramble because my mortgage was clearing thru. I went to People's Bank to place a dispute for fraudulently taking two payments. I am told to call when my Aug loan is due and they will transfer from my principal where they placed the payment... Seriously. I am trying to get another loan but of course it's a used car now and more money is needed to offset... Where is banking oversight for this dishonest bank?

Original review: July 24, 2017

Bank manager screwed up my cards. Tried to file email complaint and link ends up with a submission error... Wasted much time and tried Chrome and Edge and both don't work. Tried online chat and was worse because I kept getting sent to same broken submission. Whole process wreaks of incompetence... AVOID.

Original review: July 15, 2017

My grandmother died over 7 years ago, in 2010. Then my father died 2 years ago and I closed his estate. Several months ago I received a Key Bank credit card statement forwarded from my father's address, but addressed to my grandmother. It was a statement for her old credit card account and had a balance of $0. No big deal, I called and explained she died over 7 years ago, and they should close her account. I figured I was being courteous and protecting them from possible credit card fraud from an old open account. The woman said she would close it, no problem. She even asked for her date of death and gave her condolences.

But now for the past two months I've been receiving statements saying my dead grandmother now owes a $50 fee! Obviously my grandmother's estate was closed long ago and Key Bank missed their chance to get another $50 from her. My complaints: Having a $50 fee for closing an account is wrong. Using the death of a person as an opportunity to profit is immoral. Having a system that sends $50 charges after they talked to a customer service representative about the situation is unacceptable. Perhaps Key Bank can send ME $50 as a gesture of good will!

Original review: July 14, 2017

After making a check deposit through the ATM... a hold was placed on that deposit. I was told that I was potentially fraud. I can respect that. I was told that after confronting the branch manager since he refused to be honest. I took the necessary steps to show that there was no fraud. The branch received documents from the company that issued the check... confirmation that it was all good and the check has cleared. The branch manager was verbally told it's ok and received a document showing it was ok. They would not remove the hold. The branch manager stated he couldn't release the hold. Customer service and the branch manager from another location told me only the branch manager could release the hold.

I have been given a severe case of the "runarounds" by the branch manager. He blatantly lied to my face in regards to this situation. DO NOT do business with Key Bank. They have the worst customer service and the lies are abundant. What purpose do they have to hold a customer's money when proof has been provided? This branch manager went as far as..."acting as though" he was messaging someone while I was in front of him. Then, when he wanted to make a call... he got up and left his desk... LOL.

Key Bank Company Information