1.06/5

470 Key Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 21, 2019

I wasn't even aware that key had placed a complete hold on my account. I'm still not sure why. But feel I should have at least gotten a notification. I have had my account for a while now and have never had any issues.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I recently had my Key Bank Master Card compromised and had to request a replacement card. Unfortunately, these things happen and credit cards need to be replaced. What is ridiculous is that when I requested and received a new card, all of my Key Bank statements disappeared from the online system. I signed on to pull a statement from 2018 and every one of them was gone.

When I called, they said it was because I had a new credit card issued to me and they could not tie my previous statements to the new card number. Even though I have the same account number with Key that I've always had, and still have, they can no longer link my statements together. Knowing that people have credit cards lost or stolen all the time and therefore need to get replacements. It is shocking that a financial institution in our world today does not have a system that can accommodate this scenario. All customer service can say is "Sorry. If you would like, We can mail you a statement for six dollars." What? They should be sending me my statements at no cost! Get with the program Key Bank!

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 6, 2019

15 days ago my insurance company issued a check to pay off my car that was totaled in an accident. (I'm fine, thanks for asking :-)). The check still hasn't been applied, meanwhile I have been accruing interest at the rate of approximately $4.00 per day. They claim that the interest will be removed and backdated to the day the check was received. We'll see about that. I was on the phone with a wonderful customer service rep named Stacy, who seemed to be getting to the bottom of it, when I was suddenly transferred back to a "please press one"... menu. I was hoping she'd call me back, but no such luck. I may update this review when the matter is settled.

Original review: March 5, 2019

My family is trying to sell our apartments which have a Key Bank assumable loan on them. The contract was signed in September, 2018 and the process was begun with the bank to transfer the loan. Over 5 months later, Key Bank has still not approved the loan and no one in the bank has any authority to make it happen. Our buyer had a like-kind exchange that was lost due to the delays. Every month, we call for an update. The processor states that they need more paperwork- which ends up being a new financial statement for the month that just ended. Is there a banking commission that Key Bank can be turned into? It seems that the bank is trying not to allow the assumption of the loan (due to its low rate) and by delaying, the sale will not go through. Where can we get help?

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

Paid payment before on 15th of month due to illness of family out of state. On my statement under payment it stated late charge of $10 would be assessed if paid after the 16th of the month. Even though I received confirmation that payment was accepted on the 15th, I was charged the late fee because it did not post the day it was paid but 3 days later. I contacted Keybank customer service and this is the answer I received. They need to changed their statement. Not happy with them at all.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Key Bank?

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

Honestly, there are way too many issues to state here that I've experienced. My main issues have been with their hidden fees, discretionary use on when they decide to charge overdrafts and lastly how they batch the order of transactions to their benefit, which I thought was illegal. We have tested the order of debit transaction several times and screenshot before and after photos from when it was accurate, to when it was manipulated later in the day (very common).

We have made had several trips to the bank with evidence, stating facts of their terms & conditions, etc. Luckily, to have the some of the Bank Tellers fix issues such as; refund excessive overdraft charges, clear the mysterious "atm fee" charges (we only use Key Bank atm's) reverse unwarranted holds on funds, and more... Lots of work with this bank, in my experience. Their system seems flawed, it's scary and I won't be using them too much longer.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

It is now one year since I opened a simple account. I cannot access it online. Do not get any statements. I have visited the bank 2 times and called 4 times and no resolution. No callback. No letters. I do have access to the ATM but I cannot remove anything or deposit anything.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Every time I go to use my card there is a block put on my card. I have been with this bank for years and all of a sudden this occurs. So what you know is available to you and after you call customer service and lied to, is very embarrassing. I know my deposits as well as my transaction history. I would not advise anyone to bank with the lying customer service they have answering their phones. Discussion over your own account to be blocked is degrading! Think twice. You can’t even get a family member to send you cash because it’s suspect! Truly an inconvenience. How do they expect your life and time is resolved around mess like this!!! “DON’T BANK KEY BANK“!

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I received a check for a service made out to cash from a Key Bank. So, I took it to a local Key Bank to cash. It was there I found out that to negotiate a check from Key Bank at a Key Bank would require payment of a $7.50 fee! I was dumbfounded and struck mute! They charge for negotiating their own check! I would never patronize any business with such a fee structure meant solely to gouge customers.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Key Bank is a joke. Only reason I signed up with them 9 years ago is because my dad was a long time member there and it was close. They will let you keep using your debit card 10 times before they tell you that you're overdrawn and then add $37.50 to each overdrawn transaction. Then they will overdraft you more for being overdrawn. Kick me while I'm already down. Customer members speak very poor English. Started a Roth IRA there 3 years ago and it LOST money so I withdrew it. Never had a good experience with Key. Too many fees, just not a good bank at all. Currently closing all my accounts and switching.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I had just moved to Anacortes, Wa. Also I had been doing business with Umpqua Bank for 20 plus years. I needed a local bank as the nearest Umpqua was over an hour's drive. I chose Key bank. Yesterday, in Texas, there was an attempt by a person to pass a bogus check drawn on my account for $4000. Umpqua Bank needed to close my account but I am 70 years old & on social security. I could not have them close my account. Also, there have been frequent snow storms in Anacortes/ Bellingham area and so it was not safe to drive. I needed a fax so I could fix the situation with my Umpqua Bank. I had my account @ Key Bank and called the staff and asked permission to use their fax the next morning for 3 minutes. It would be safe for me in Key Bank. The staff gave me permission to come in & use the fax for a minute or so the next morning.

This morning I came in & after some minutes was approached by the manager. I feel that she was too aggressive and unkind to me. She said that the problem was not with Key Bank but with my other bank. I agreed & apologized. I explained that the staff gave me permission the day before. I was a Key Bank customer & this was my hometown and I wanted a safe place to fax. I repeated that I was given permission the day before. She argued & I continued to defend my position. I asked for a private room to discuss it. She said no. I was embarrassed & humiliated as other customers were now forming a line behind me. This manager in a loud voice told me to leave & go to UPS. I am new in town & didn't know where one was. A snow storm was on the way and I am 70 years old & new in town and unfamiliar with the roads.

Also I made a special trip to Key Bank to use their fax as it was an emergency and I was frightened. AND I was given permission to use it the day before. Shame on this manager. This unprofessional & mean behavior was not necessary. I went to UPS. It took 37 seconds to send the fax. That's all it would have taken for this manager to help me. I feel that she should have reprimanded her colleagues and not me in such a loud, insulting & public way. I have closed my account. I will NEVER return to Key Bank.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Very disappointed with Key Bank. When I inquired about draft protections they told me to sign up for a line of credit. I did, then got hit with a $50 annual fee. When I asked, they told me no, you should do a draft protection plan on which they take money from savings to cover fees of potentially overdrafting on my checking. (free) Now I’m getting charged with $18 per month for monthly maintenance fee? One thing after another with these guys. Ridiculous.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

Marketing offers - this bank running a scam to offer up to $300 if open a new account. They sent a promotion offer to my address and I opened a new bank account. Once I completed the all eligibility and time frame. They send me a e-mail that this offer is not valid in your area. So, It's totally fraud.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

Each time I called to cancel my account which should have been an easy process was made stressful and drawn out by Key Bank's customer representatives. They did not speak English well. Spoke too fast for you to understand them and didn't seem to understand English well either. Extremely frustrating. Would not recommend Key banking to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Key Bank is a bank that makes frauds, my sister sent the payments of the house and having the receipts, Key Bank sent a letter supposedly 4 months are due and they put the house in foreclosed. Sincerely this bank are robbers.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

My mother passed away and was an account holder with KIS. After her death, I requested beneficiary claims paperwork on 12/17/18 and was told they would send the documents to me immediately. I have never received the documents and have been told twice that they must have been lost in the mail. I have left several messages and have not had a return call as requested. I am now filing complaints with the SEC and FINRA.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

There should be a rating with NEGATIVE STARS. If so, this bank would be a five negative star. I'm not upset as I'm writing this. I'm calm. My company account with over half a million dollars of federal funds for a rural electrification project straight from the US Treasury was closed with NO NOTICE except an email that says "As requested, your account is closed." We did not ask for the account to be closed. The branch manager stated he only found out when I wrote him and after I called him n times. The customer relationship person was on leave. After a dozen calls to the national Customer Service, Customer I.D. and Financial Wellness on several numbers and half a dozen representatives over 24 mad hours I was told that a letter was "found." The letter could not be sent to me via email to view.

The letter was dated 3 months earlier in October 2018 and had been mailed. I said I did not receive ANY NOTICE. I was told only the bank branch manager knew the reason for closure and could Print out the letter! (The attitude of the customer service people is in retrospect just juvenile, "Oh ah can't do that..." That's sort of it. "Oh ok let me put you on hold..." About 10 minutes later... "Oh yeah it's another department let me transfer you.") The branch manager finally wrote a brief email saying that all he found out was that the account was closed because the relationship posed a risk. (During account setup, we provided all the required original legal documentation for the company and personnel, all the funds deposited in the account were US treasury or government funds.) The account balance would be mailed to the USA address in 7-10 days. That was it.

During my phone conversation with the bank manager, 17 days later, he stated he did not have nor saw a letter of closure or such notice in October 2018. Again, 17 days later, no check, I and others are scrambling crazy with vendors and personnel unpaid during Xmas month! We are now told after half a dozen phone calls to the branch manager that the check was mailed to another address overseas, contrary to the bank manager's email and my own instructions to Customer Service. No tracking, no courier. He did not know how or why that happened. OMG. We asked that the check be sent to the Branch for pickup. Not possible says the branch manager. A stop payment will be made, and "depending on that" a new check will be issued, and mailed. But, no definite timeline about this and when the payment will be received.

I ask for the check to be couriered or trackable mailed! It's over half a million dollars, not my personal money either! He does not know anything else. It's out of his control. The other person is still on leave. Some "analyst" (really what better title could the bank have chosen!) from Financial Wellness was on the phone while I was speaking to the branch manager, saying in a condescending dismissive, "Don't waste my time" way, things like, "We will mail the check, ok nothing more to say, ok, ok, that's it, yes you're welcome, you're welcome. Bye." Click. No it's not ok. You and your bank policies and way of doing or not doing things have created a CRISIS in which the customer has NO ROLE.

PS. During the only telephone conversation with the bank manager he was trying to be customer service oriented - "I understand, I understand, but I... Don't know. It's out of your and my control." Who is in control? Who can he call? He does not know either. This was the icing on the cake after all kinds of similar experiences with phone based international or domestic wire transfer payments to vendors - shuttled between departments that know NOTHING of each other. Oh call them ah don't know.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Marketing offers - This bank running a scam to offer up to $400 if open a new account. Be aware - for 12 months you will not be able to close this account without fee and also they charge different monthly fees from this account as well.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I have been banking with Key Bank since 1983. I have NEVER had a problem. Every time I have needed to call customer service the representative has always been polite and helpful. When I moved from one side of the state to another there was no disruption of services during the transfer of my accounts from one branch to another. When I do have to go to the branch the staff has been friendly and courteous even on the busiest days. I love the fact that they have Saturday hours. I don't understand why there have been so many complaints. Maybe those complaints are plans by competitors or maybe the attitude of the caller to begin with is too aggressive.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I called the 1-866-295-2955 and I get is the ** language of the US. This is America and the official language US is English, didn't you people get the email from President Trump? I pressed the operator button 50+ times and could get nothing for a response.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Absolutely the WORST customer service and service in general when dealing with your bank. I am paid ahead on my loan, so I asked when my next payment would be due, I was told 1/24/19 for .00. Well if nothing is owed then that can't be my next due date. They said, "Well the system won't tell us that..." Really??? That answer makes ZERO sense. I asked, "Well can you call someone in loan department and ask them?" "No, but I can give YOU a number to call." Seriously?!?! WHY is it so hard for Key Bank employees to know or find out how to properly process a payment and be able to answer simple loan inquiries? I HATE dealing with your company, if it hadn't been a dealer loan I never would have had a loan with you and never will again.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

No help on disputing a charge. Never sent paperwork or followed up. I had to be my own advocate. Bank hours are terrible. Employees act like they hate working there. They see you as a dollar sign not as a person. No point to invest money into this place. They don’t care. BEWARE!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Take your money elsewhere, there is no point in trying to work with these people. Their online information is not up to current banking standards and often times does not exist. I have tried for over a month to gain access to my data online, but they are unable to assist.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

Giving everybody a heads up about Key Bank annuity and trying to get money. The broker keeps saying the check is in the mail when we need money for Mom's bills and rent. Still waiting and she past away Thanksgiving.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

If I could give Key Bank 000000 Stars I would. I only to deal with Key thru my job. They issued us pay cards... Well mine's was damaged and I called to get a new card... because my address wasn't updated by me but by Corporate. I am beyond pissed. I got paid 11/2/2018... And still can't order a card. I received a 5 day notice yesterday because I haven't been able to pay rent due to me not having a working card. This is ** and I'm calling BBB once I finish posting my review. Went online and opened an account with NAVY FEDERAL and was able to transfer 250 - the most they allow... While my other monies is just sitting on that card.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

The loan department has been nothing but a headache and nightmare since the day they bought out First Niagara Bank. Records from a vehicle loan are lost, primary phone number and Customer is wrong, and refuse to change it. They repeatedly call over and over again every day except for Sunday to talk to the primary person that does not live here. Even when the bill is paid they still call and tell you it’s late. They returned payment for lack of funds even though the funds are there and then say I’m going to charge you a Late fee.

When funds are released for payment they don’t pull them until it is already late and then charges a late fee. If you call them to tell them to take the money out they don’t. Car payment was made that kept the money until it was late and then charge the fee and then credit the account. A payment was made early and it went towards the principal instead of the payment. Late fee was charged and another payment needed to be made. Meanwhile credit reports her being ruined. Under no circumstance should anybody use this bank EVER!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

My Grandmother has been paying for my deceased sister's student loans from Key Bank for the past two years. Every other loan for her Masters Degree was forgiven even through other private banks. Key Bank is by far the most crooked company ever. I called. They tried several times to get me off the phone with them just because I asked about the student loans after the student's death. I was just trying to ask them for information, nothing account specific. DO NOT use Key for any borrowing! PNC just asked for a death certificate and we never heard a peep about anything.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

We originally had our mortgage with First Niagara. Since Key Bank took it over, it has been nothing but a nightmare. They refuse to accept and properly handle payments made to principal only. We were told we cannot make payments to principal only in excess of our monthly payment because their computer programs cannot handle this. We were told in addition we can not make payments to the principal either 5 days prior to our automatic withdrawal, or 5 days after. This is all illegal, and seems like bank fraud. They make it extremely difficult to make extra payments - why? So they can steal more money from you. This is a nightmare. Please join me in filing a lawsuit against them, and going to every oversight agency. Consumers do not deserve this.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

We had to use Key Bank being that they bought out our previous bank. We should have realized there would be issues when our home went without insurance for a few months because they “forgot” to pay it with our mortgage. Now they have a newer policy where they hold a check for 5 days till they deposit it if you have overdrafted within the last 6 months.

I can see that with a personal check but with a corporate check from an insurance company, no. We needed that money to pay to fix my car, now I have to wait 5 days extra till I get my car back...ridiculous! So not only do they get you with the overdraft charges, now this. Oh and the teller says to me “you can avoid overdrafting with a line of credit or a credit card through us,” seriously, so it’s all to make more money, they don’t care about the consumer. The only good they ever did for us was catch a fraudulent charge on our account and I’m grateful for that. We will be joining a credit union very soon!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Since I've been with Key Bank it's been nothing but a hassle to get things done. Just this week I've tried to send my son money online 4 times and every time they restrict my account and tell me I need to go in for them to unlock it which is extremely tough when you work on a fishing boat. Key Bank hates to release your funds. Period. Each time they blamed the restriction on strange activity when in reality there is nothing strange about it. Not once did I make report or buy anything that may raise a flag. I simply made attempts at sending him money overseas which is consistently blocked by the bank.

Key Bank Company Information