Key Bank

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

My grandmother died over 7 years ago, in 2010. Then my father died 2 years ago and I closed his estate. Several months ago I received a Key Bank credit card statement forwarded from my father's address, but addressed to my grandmother. It was a statement for her old credit card account and had a balance of $0. No big deal, I called and explained she died over 7 years ago, and they should close her account. I figured I was being courteous and protecting them from possible credit card fraud from an old open account. The woman said she would close it, no problem. She even asked for her date of death and gave her condolences.

But now for the past two months I've been receiving statements saying my dead grandmother now owes a $50 fee! Obviously my grandmother's estate was closed long ago and Key Bank missed their chance to get another $50 from her. My complaints: Having a $50 fee for closing an account is wrong. Using the death of a person as an opportunity to profit is immoral. Having a system that sends $50 charges after they talked to a customer service representative about the situation is unacceptable. Perhaps Key Bank can send ME $50 as a gesture of good will!

After making a check deposit through the ATM... a hold was placed on that deposit. I was told that I was potentially fraud. I can respect that. I was told that after confronting the branch manager since he refused to be honest. I took the necessary steps to show that there was no fraud. The branch received documents from the company that issued the check... confirmation that it was all good and the check has cleared. The branch manager was verbally told it's ok and received a document showing it was ok. They would not remove the hold. The branch manager stated he couldn't release the hold. Customer service and the branch manager from another location told me only the branch manager could release the hold.

I have been given a severe case of the "runarounds" by the branch manager. He blatantly lied to my face in regards to this situation. DO NOT do business with Key Bank. They have the worst customer service and the lies are abundant. What purpose do they have to hold a customer's money when proof has been provided? This branch manager went as far as..."acting as though" he was messaging someone while I was in front of him. Then, when he wanted to make a call... he got up and left his desk... LOL.

I paid my property tax at the local branch in December of 2016. I received a notice in June from the county that I owed a penalty of more that $300 for non-payment. I was not able to find my receipt immediately when I stopped at the branch to see what could be done. My customer experience was not what I expected. Instead of acknowledging that I must be frustrated and how can they help, the "personal banker" wanted to know how they could have accepted my payment if I wasn't a customer. Our local paper, The Westlife, had printed an article about this service offered by Key Bank and I thought I would test drive their service with this initial transaction.

I located my stamped bank receipt the following week verifying that they accepted my payment in December. I have traveled twice downtown to work this out with the county treasurer. I have requested that Key Bank cover the cost of stop payment on my check, but I have not heard back from them. A surprising response from a bank with a large footprint in the Cleveland market.

I was with First Niagara when Key Bank took over. I never had a problem with my checking account. Since the change I have had one nightmare after another. I use my app on my phone like I always had with First Niagara. It deducts money immediately and it shows me what I have to spend. Key Bank's app not only is this not accurate cause they shut it down every day for several hours to update it, then I get an overdraft fee for 1.20 which cost me 38.50. Then I end up with 2 more overdraft fees usually 4 days later resulting from that 1.20 I spent on a bag of chips out of the vending machine. I never use my cards without checking my app. It has never failed me till Key Bank took over.

What a racket they have milked out of people like myself for not having better software to keep their customers updated on what they really have available. I am grateful that the people at my branch cleared me of those overdraft charges, it's not their fault. Otherwise that 1.20 bag of chips would have cost me 115.50 plus the 1.20. To avoid this I will use my card very little and this upcoming week I will change banks. I never want to go through this ever again. I was very pleased with First Niagara, Key Bank should follow their example, but after all why should they, they are making a bundle doing business as is.

I received a letter from a SVP of Key Bank stating that my credit line would be closed because the ownership was not maintained according to their policy. I have not changed the ownership in 10 years! After a number of calls I did receive a refund of the annual fee I paid but am still attempting to resolve the situation through Sarah ** of the Executive Client Relations department. This department does not provide direct phone numbers or email addresses. Ms. ** has promised to call by certain times and reneged twice. She did not return a call or email to a Key Bank Branch manager who attempted to reach her on my behalf. She ignored Key Bank policy of returning calls within 48 hours.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Key Bank?

I have never seen a banking system so terrible as this one. I have depended on my bank balance using online banking for years. This bank is 3 days behind at least on removing ATM withdrawals and paid bills. You will see withdrawals one day and not see the same withdrawals the next day. First Niagara was so much better. Now the balance on your checking account is never accurate. I have so many direct deposits but this bank is the worse experience I have ever had with a bank.

I went to my bank ATM at Key Bank to deposit money. It took quite a while and finally said "we are unable to process your deposit." I then went into the bank to find out what the problem was. The teller tells me that there's no record of my transaction to contact customer disputes and gives me a number. I go home, call the number and am told that they have 3 weeks to go over my dispute. They gave me a dispute number to be able to call and check on the status... my complaint apparently wasn't the only one that particular day... 3 other customers prior to myself had the same thing happen to them. My question is why after the first problem didn't they shut the ATM down??? Now because of a faulty ATM I'm about to have my electricity turned off??? Seriously ridiculous that I'm not even guaranteed to get my paycheck back... I'm telling everyone I know that has Key Bank to switch banks.

We have had personal and business accounts with Key Bank for decades. During this time, particularly over the last few years service and quality has declined rapidly. For example today I noticed several fraudulent charges on my account. In the past the bank would have caught the charges. No matter, I called the phone number given for stolen cards. I went through my whole story to be told, "OK now we transfer you to another number." I have been on hold for 30 minutes! I ask "why did I call this number if I really can only get action by calling another number?" Answer, "that is just the way it is".

Judging by the time I have spent on hold they must have a lot of fraud with their accounts or they have one person in the fraud department. They also changed one of our accounts willy-nilly. We had overdraft protection tied to our savings account. Went along just fine for 5 years and then one day, bank just changed it. Getting it changed back requires 45 minutes on the phone. ANYTHING with this bank requires 45 minutes on the phone!!!

My father died recently intestate. He had accounts at several banking institutions. Every other institution I spoke to was able to tell me if his accounts were frozen, or if there had been any transactions on his account after his death. Key Bank has outright refused to give me that basic information. They refuse to be of any assistance, and each and every person I have spoken to is openly hostile because I am "fishing for information" on an account that my name isn't on. They have refused to even tell me something as simple as, "Do you have a copy of the death certificate?" type questions. I have zero interest in accessing the accounts for withdrawal, I just want to make sure that my father's accounts can't be raided without the legal heir's consent.

My 91 year old mother was asked to close an account with absolutely no reason at all. The stress it put on her and me to change all of her direct deposits over and open a new account at another bank was utterly ridiculous. I just saw in these complaints that she was not the only person who was asked to close their account. She was a loyal customer for years with National City and she couldn't even call the manager or any familiar staff members to ask any questions because they were no longer employed at her branch. I would never recommend this bank for anything. It makes no sense... a new bank in town and they are asking people to close their accounts?

Are they prejudice? Do they only want wealthy clients? Are they not wanting certain nationalities or religions? Something is extremely wrong if they cannot give a reason. I also am a realtor and will never recommend my buyers to use them. I am in a situation currently where my seller's closing has been pushed back a month and we cannot get any answers. The loan originators have no answers and they won't let the underwriters contact us!!! It's plain and simple... this is a terrible bank. Don't use them for ANYTHING!!!

Paid off my credit card in full, and the day after it was at zero balance they socked me with a 68 dollar interest charge. To make matters worse, my card went missing so I cancelled it and asked that a new one be sent out, as my vacation was starting in 8 days. They failed to do this, then when asked to do it again, they had some kind of poor excuse again why it would arrive 2 days after I had left on vacation. Now I will have a credit card floating around when I am not at home to receive it. Third call, third disappointment on the poor business practices they put forth.

When First Niagara changed to Key Bank, the problems began. An unauthorized change was made to my checking account causing over $600 in fees to accumulate in only 3 weeks! Key turned on an overdraft feature without my knowledge or authorization. $600+ in fees was the result in less than 4 weeks. I contacted the bank and they say I turned it on! No way did I turn it on, and they have no signature or other proof that I turned it on. I have been on the phone with Key for the past 3 days and I'm getting nowhere.

Today my social security check was deposited and they took all of it! Now I'm screwed because I can't pay bills. The people at the bank were rude and unwilling to help me. When I asked to speak to a manager when I went to the local branch, THE manager without saying a word pointed to another person. After getting nowhere with this person, she tells me to talk to the manager! WOW! I thought you were the manager! I have never been treated like dog crap on a shoe until my visit to this bank and the people at the 800 number were of no help too.

How does a bank get away with this! If I could give this bank a negative 10 star rating I would. The absolute worst customer service treatment I have ever experienced, ever. I will fight this bank until I die if I have to. This has to be illegal, and I will take them to court over this. They will not admit the mistake and refuse to deduct the fees from my account which they will not even let me close! Anyone considering Key Bank be warned! You will regret doing business with this bank sooner or later. Do some research on this bank before you decide to join it. Worst banking experience of my life. How do they get away with it???

To be short there were multiple instances where money was taken out of my account. I found out this before going out of town. Got the runaround, send me here and there, being promised that money will be temporarily be put back for bills purposes and that it was being noted. I come back and the card is there but no papers to fill out. I go to the bank so I can handle it face to face and he says there no notes but printed me out the transaction history for me to get a head start. It took until yesterday to get an actual claim number. The investigator call today telling me I should have done this and that and asking me why I took so long. Apparently fraud liability is only for certain cases. I feel played and disrespected. I have gotten the runaround so much and I'm so tired of them. They're like "You should have read this and that before signing" and it's like I DIDN'T SIGN ANYTHING! YOU TOOK OVER FIRST NIAGARA!

Business owners beware. Key Bank does not offer any business loan that does not include an early payoff penalty and they do not disclose that until after they have tricked you into signing a contract. Their trick... make so many mistakes in the loan process that by the time loan docs are ready for signature, the customer is so stressed out and desperate to finally get the loan finished that they don't realize they are signing away their own profitability. Banked with them for 10 years. Personal, business, and even referred Key to my employees. About 10 accounts all together. Until a few years ago, Key was on a par with a lifetime of banking experiences. Then, a new CEO came into power and they have been in a downward spiral ever since. Predatory practices. High turnover rate. Untrained employees. Misinformation and downright lies. Employees do not know their jobs.

I suspect Key Bank has been on a mission to replace all of their capable, experienced employees with untrained people in order to delay customer transactions. Delays result in collecting more interest on a loan by making it difficult to pay off and bogus fees as discussed in so many of the complaints I see on this website. I've closed all of the Key Bank accounts I could about a year ago. Loan secured by a semi truck would have been paid off a week ago, but Key Bank has not been able to provide either an accurate payoff number or copy of title. Key Bank is preventing us from trading in our vehicle on a new one. If anyone has started a class action lawsuit against Key Bank for these predatory practices, I want in on it.

Keybank claimed I had a missed payment and this was not accurate. I have made several calls to Key Bank to clear up this issue, each time ending the call very upset. Customer service is extremely slow and not helpful. Each time I explain that I have not been delinquent on my account I have to repeat the entire story to be told the call they made to me was "an attempt to collect debt". I pay the bill online and have NEVER missed or been late with a payment. I feel the number of calls I have received from Key Bank have been harassment. It took me 14 minutes (my phone timed the call) to finally receive a fax number to send proof of payment. I asked to speak to a manager and was given a supervisor more than 21 minutes into the call. When put on hold again, I finally hung up. I would not recommend this bank to anyone.

I had a loan for a boat for over 10 years and was coming up to the last payment. To prevent them from taking out more than needed, I canceled my direct deposit and authorized them an e-check over the phone for the balance due. This is where it all went downhill FAST! First they contacted us to say we were late on our payment, so we called. They said that our e-check "didn't go through". Um huh? They didn't say that there were insufficient funds, but that it just didn't go through. So we reminded them that we had a authorization number that the Key Bank officer gave us and that we were told that it went through. "Sorry... and there is now more interest due." We objected and asked to speak to a supervisor.

After spending two days where someone was going to call us back but never did, we spent hours of callbacks. We finally spoke with a level 2 supervisor to authorize the payment over the phone for the original amount agreed upon. We then looked at our bank account online. They had taken the final amount plus THEY TOOK OUT A COMPLETELY ADDITIONAL PAYMENT!!! YA THE AUTOMATIC PAYMENT WE HAD CANCELED A MONTH OR TWO AGO!!! Arrrhhggghhh! So we called, AGAIN, to get our money back.

Today, they sent us a check FOR THE AMOUNT MINUS THE INTEREST THAT WE FOUGHT SO HARD TO HAVE WAIVED!!! AAArrrhhgggHHH! 2 things to learn from this: #1 Just say no to Key! #2 If you need to stop payments with KEY: Demand to speak to a level 2 supervisor and then call your bank to warn that you made a change to the automatic payment with Key and to DENY them from removing any funds, ASAP!

First I opened account online, that ended with a bunch of requests to verify information. So I went to the branch. At first it was quick. A new account opened and business as usual. Then instead of verifying my Social Security number through DMV or Social Security admin, they made me go do it. So I did. I got wire transfers in for cars I sold. Instantly Key Bank froze my account even withholding the 500 plus dollars already in account. The branch claimed it was a Fraud Department and refused to give a contact number. I of course found it myself online and called. They proceeded to tell me it was not them it was bank manager, the name they gave turned out to be a innocent woman at the Wilbur branch. Not the Colville branch. This manager conveniently I am told is out of town.

Then I get a number to a lady a Consumer Affairs in Seattle. She tells me since it's wire transfers in a new account. This bank treats me a businessman as a scammer, even the people I sold the cars to called in complaining about them refusing me money they sent me for a legitimate purpose. When I talk of bringing a lawyer into it, the lady in Seattle tells me it will all be available this morning. And now you guessed it. About 3900 dollars is not showing in my account. I call customer service, they tell me it is at a branch level. This bank messes with your money, makes excuses and will not give you your money. This has been the worst banking experience of my life. I was a victim of identity theft, and thought I seen it all until this bank. Even a FBI agent said this was crazy what Key bank was doing.

This bank bought our local First Niagara Bank. Today I got a notice that all my accounts were being closed. They refused to provide a reason, and when pressed they stated a clause in the service agreement (which I never signed BTW, you BOUGHT my business against my will) they do not need to provide a reason. Thanks for coming to our community KEY BANK! I am a local business owner with 2 business accounts at this bank. I have no loans, no mortgage, have never missed a payment on my bank credit card. They will not even give me a reason. Watch out fellow Key Bankers!

DON'T BANK WITH KEY BANK!!! If you live anywhere in Colorado, find ANY other bank to use. Key Bank charges fees for things like cashing a check that was written to you by your spouse, who has an account with them and the identical last name. Completely unacceptable. When called on it, NO ATTEMPT WAS MADE TO TRY TO SATISFY ME. Teller, who's name was Beverly, was rude and unhelpful. They also lock their doors minutes previous to their advertised closing time. TERRIBLE BANK!!! Do yourself a favor and go somewhere else. I am telling everyone I know NOT to bank there. My wife is taking her money out and going to another bank.

I was a loyal First Niagara customer and decided to try Keybank when they merged. Since then I've had nothing but issues. When I make purchases or pay bills they take the money out of my account and then put it back in and then take it out again, sometimes over a week later. So you think you have money but you don't. Not to mention the unbelievably slow updates of their online banking information. I used my card and of course they made a deduction that was taken out a week earlier, put back in, and taken out again. As soon as the negative balance showed online I went and deposited cash to cover it, 2 days later it shows I have an overdraft fee because during their "processing" the overdraft showed for the previous day. If the system was accurate and faster and I was aware that I was over that day I would have went and put the money in earlier.

So I get a fee because their system is too slow to keep me updated, and they sneak it in for the day before so you're left hanging with a $38 fee. Completely unacceptable and unprofessional, this is the probably the third or fourth time this happened. I will be switching banks immediately after this last time, I would not recommend Keybank to anyone.

I took my friend of 25 years to cash in her savings bonds and to make a small withdrawal for household expenses. While I was waiting for to sign her bonds I took the withdrawal slip to the teller for my friend. As I stood there waiting for the teller to count out the money she began to drill me... She asked; was my friend my mom? I replied no, just my friend of 25 years, but that wasn't good enough, her next question was, point blank, did I have a job? That's correct, did I have a job?! First of all, it's none of her business if I have a job. The teller then made some condescending remark about how kind I was to help my friend! But it was already quite clear, this overzealous idiot of an employee thought I was going to steal some of the withdrawal money, money she advised she would personally hand over to my friend, that's correct, overzealous employee didn't trust me to walk 8 feet with the withdrawal money!

Talk about profiling, certainly not a good way to attract new customers either!!! Although I called and voiced my complaint to the branch manager she seemed unfazed. I informed my friend as to what took place and I truly hope she moves her money to another bank. I completely understand that banks look out for suspicious people, but this same overzealous idiot was waving my friends stack of bonds in full view of other banking customers, her name and address in full view, her privacy compromised -- that's the real threat and a serious concern! Perhaps overzealous employee should read the privacy act in its entirety if she wants to keep her own job and stop worrying if other people have a job... They treat people like criminals at Key Bank in Lancaster, NY.

I almost don't know where to start when it comes to the issues with this institution. The first red flag for me was the fact that they seriously dropped the ball in regard to transferring all the login info for online banking from First Niagara when the transition was done, then have a senior level member actually lay blame on the customers, as if we never before used any form of online banking. I should have gone with my gut and closed my account then and there, but I thought "Well, that's just one issue, mistakes happen." Now, several months later I highly doubt my accounts will remain open with them for another month.

Online banking is painful process with this bank, as many customers have realized. When I had accounts with Citizens Bank and First Niagara, and transaction debits or credits were essentially done in real time, so there was never any question of the amount remaining in the account. However, with Key Bank, that's not the case. At roughly 9 pm daily you receive a notification that they are "processing" the daily transactions. Due to this I've had quite a few issues with the available balance in my account as it's relatively common for a transaction or two performed well before the daily processing time to be mysteriously missing from the transaction history. Take today for example, where I had to pick up a few things after work at Walmart and spent approximately $33. This transaction was done at 4 pm, and was a POS transaction. However, once their processing began it magically disappeared from the transaction history in my account.

I've actually had transactions that were present before processing disappear for 2 days then reappear, resulting in a obvious discrepancy. I don't have the time to continuously play "find the hidden transactions" on a daily basis, and it's quite annoying to have to continually comb through transactions done just to find the one that's missing. I've never encountered this type of issue with any form of online banking before, and am dumbfounded as to how a modern banking institution can have such inefficient and erroneous processes. I highly doubt that my accounts there will remain there for another 3 weeks, as my threshold of frustration has essentially been met.

This bank took over my former Bank - First Niagara. I have never experienced so much trouble with any business in my life. Unfortunately, I have both my business line of credit and my mortgage with this awful place so things can not be so easily changed. If there is anything to get wrong, Key Bank will manage to get it wrong. I have spent over 5 hours trying to get things accurately switched and it has needed to be repeated by several employees that promise everything and deliver nothing, Not only can I not get a phone call back, but when I am told I have to go to the branch in person (which is not convenient because their hours stink), nothing gets resolved. I am beyond frustrated and wish Key Bank would be bought out by another Bank.

I was a First Niagara customer that came over to Key Bank with a merger and am very disappointed. I was all smiles when I found a great deal on the car I have been looking for and called Key to cash out one of my CDs for the down payment. That was 4 days ago and still no money. How is it I can move money from Barclays (International) into my checking account in one day but they can't move my money from one room to another in a week. Ridiculous. I'm glad I opened a TD account and will be moving all my money over.

I asked my domestic partner to pay my car payment for me. He has been paying it right along ever since First Niagara sold out to Key Bank. Right along there has never been a problem. Today, he called to pay my car payment and was told that he could not pay it because he was not listed on my account. I called Key Bank and was told a third party could not pay my bill, so I requested for the bank to place a note in my account that he was allowed to pay it. I told them that it was very inconvenient for me because of my working hours. They told me no. I told them I did not care who knew my account information and if anybody wanted to pay on my account that they could. I am very upset with this. I will be switching my account over to my bank. Key Bank just lost a good customer. I pay my bills every month and on time. Key Bank needs to review their policies on this matter or they will be losing a lot more accounts. Thank you so much for nothing.

KeyBank used to provide customers with an app that tracked expenditures and analyzed financial health. All of a sudden in the middle of last year, they notified us that they were discontinuing this perfectly good software. They told us the new program, "HelloWallet," would be "better." HW is not better. I could go on and on about its malfunctions. For now, I'll name only two:

First, it automatically categorizes your transactions. You cannot shut off this feature. It labels transactions completely inaccurately, naming as "income" amounts that actually have a minus sign in front of them. It does this consistently with anything that is a check, as opposed to a debit card transaction. You can, of course, correct them if you go in and do so manually. But for checks, there is no way to correct the problem for good. Each new check you write will be labeled "income," even though YOU wrote the check, obviously making it a debit.

Catching these errors is time consuming, but even worse, unless you are checking each day, it is easy to make an error and not catch it at all until you go to download transactions for monthly or annual reporting or in order to prepare taxes. Then, the errors are interspersed throughout the various categories of the report, and you have to review hundreds of transactions to find them. So, to avoid have errors hidden beneath weeks or months of transactions, I literally open my account online to check EVERY DAY, so I won't miss anything.

Which brings me to the second problem: There is no reporting function. You can, of course, download an undifferentiated list, and then sort it yourself. Their "date" function does not work, so no matter what dates you type into the search bar, it downloads your entire history. You can, of course, delete the hundreds of dates that are not the period you want to report on (say, I want to download all of 2016, I will have to delete all the 2017 transactions in order to get a 2016-only report). As you may imagine, the several problems associated with sorting takes hours. A reporting function that KeyBank used to provide took MINUTES to get an error-free report.

Given basic Excel-type programming, it seems HW could easily build in a feature that would allow you to check boxes for specific income and expense categories, then print out reports or subsections of an overall report labeled, "groceries," "auto repair," etc., with automatic sub-totaling But NO. You can't do this. You have cut and paste, move columns and rows, then sort each sub-category that you create by date, and enter your own Excel formulas to create sub-totals.

It's ridiculous for KeyBank to have chosen this as a replacement for something that had functions that HW simply does not have, and therefore cannot replace. When I talked to a KeyBank rep about this at my branch, he kept repeating to me with great irritation, "you're asking it to do something it's not meant to do." I replied, "I'm asking the bank to live up to its promise that HW would do what the old program did." He shook his head at me in exasperation. It seemed it was irritating to him that I just somehow could not get his point that it was fine to take something away, say they would provide a new tool to do what they took away, then blame the customer for too high of expectations when it didn't. Other than this, I don't have serious complaints about KeyBank. Most of the face-to-face service at my own branch is good. But it is highly rep-dependent.

I had my mortgage and credit card through First Niagara, which was purchased by Key Bank. My first experience with Key was when they called me a week or so after my mortgage payment was due, asking me why I missed my payment. I have never missed a payment on anything, and my credit score in all three bureaus is over 800. I told them that I mailed my check in well in advanced to my due date (which it's ridiculous that I can't pay it online without a Key Bank bank account, which I don't want and will never have!). They proceeded to tell me that if I sent in the payment, it is likely their issue, because they lost a large number of payments from former First Niagara customers, and that the transition was causing some issues. It would have been nice if they lead with that, instead of harassing me that I didn't make a payment. I mean, come on, look at my history and see that I have never missed a payment before accusing me of missing it.

The representative then proceeded to tell me that I will not be charged any late fees, but that I should check in another couple of days to make sure that they found it and the payment was made, and that if the payment wasn't make, that I would have to cancel the check and make the payment again... which by the way, I would not reimburse the fee for a cancelled check, even though it was their fault the payment was lost. I waited about 4 days, and finally the payment was made, so luckily I didn't have to battle them on a canceled check fee. When I was on the phone with them they suggested that I open a Key Bank checking account so I can make my payments electronically... SERIOUSLY? You guys are horrible at everything. Why would I trust you with my money? I wish I could choose who owned my mortgage, but with this, I am stuck!

Now, for my credit card experience with them. I loved my First Niagara MasterCard. I used it for everything I did and paid off the balance at the end of each month, so I could gain rewards points to use for travel. They had great customer service, did an amazing job catching fraud, even before I noticed it (which is good considering I am a Criminal Investigator that deals with fraud on a regular basis. I did miss one payment with them a few years back and had no problems. I called when I realized it, zero-balanced my card, and they happily removed the late fee. Unfortunately the card is now Key Bank, since they bought First Niagara, and in a short few months I have already had multiple problems with them.

Last month we had one of the worse snow storms we have had in 30+ years in Upstate NY, and it fell right around the time that my credit card payment was due. Dealing with the digging out and such, I forgot to make my payment. Literally 4 days after my payment due date, I went to make a purchase and was declined. I have never been declined and figured it was an error with the card reader, so I paid cash and moved on. Then I got an email that one of my automated monthly reoccurring payments that uses that card was declined. I immediately called Key Bank and they told me that I did not make my monthly payment, and it is their policy that the card cannot be used until the payment is made. AFTER ONLY 4 DAYS??!? I proceeded to explain what happened with the snow storm and made my payment online right away (which why can I make my credit card payment online, but not my mortgage).

They then told me that it would take up to 2 business days to post to my account. This was on a Friday, so this meant I could not use my credit card until at least Monday. I asked to speak to a manager and asked her to please unlock my card so I could use it since I just made the payment. She said that she was unable to do so.

I asked to speak to HER manager and she said I can go all the way up the change, and no one would be able to do that because it is an automated system that can't be changed. That is crazy. I can see if you went a full month without making the payment, but late by 4 days? She said that as soon as the account is late the credit card is unusable. I understand that they are allowed to do this as a company, but that is a crazy ridiculous policy. SO... I found that I can set up an automated alert to remind me before my payment is due, just to make sure if something is going on, I will be reminded to make sure I made the payment. Which brought on the next issue.

I was easily able to go into my account online and set up alerts for various actions. For instance, when a payment was due, past due, etc. One of the options was to alert when your balance was over a specific amount. I set them all up so I could see what they looked like and how often they triggered, figuring I would go back in afterwards to reduce the noise and shut some off. The problem occurred when I went back in to shut off some of the alerts... I could no longer access the options to change my alerts. I called their tech support and was elevated to level 2 support. I spent well over an hour on the phone with them, and he could not figure out what was going on. After him going back and forth with his manager, he finally said that they have no idea why it's not working and that he was going to have to dig in further and would call me back. Of course, I never got the callback.

I just called this morning, about a week after, and had to go through the entire thing AGAIN. I told them that I had tried three different browsers and my phone's browser, and had the same issue everywhere, and just because I knew they were going to ask, I cleared my cache on all as well. It didn't matter, she wanted to talk me through the steps on clearing my cache. So I did, again, then she forwarded me to their level 2 support. I was having deja vu! I spent another 45 minutes on the phone, and at one point they said that if I wanted to set up text message alerts, they could do it for me without me having to log into my account to do it, so I said, "GREAT, let's do it!" Then she came back and said that text alerts are not support with the credit card accounts, lol. OK, Great, thanks for knowing your job enough to offer me a service you don't even have... good job level 2 support!

Anyway, they had to escalate it to THEIR tech support, and I was told that I would be getting a call back in 3 to 5 days. In the meantime, my email is blowing up with a ton of alerts that I don't want any longer. If I didn't have over a million reward points I would close my account immediately and start using a different card. As soon as I use all my points for travel, I will never use the card again and am steering everyone I know away from Key Bank. I could understand having one issue, but all of this has gotten me fed up, to the point where this is the first time I have ever written a review about anything. I hate you Key Bank and wish you never purchased First Niagara.

This past week has been hell on earth for me with this bank. Let me start by saying I was a customer of this bank for many years dating back to New Haven Savings Bank with NO ISSUES at all through any bank take over since then until now. In the past my available balance was just that, available. I have been charged with overdraft fees all week that have been corrected by someone at a local branch but even though I haven't used the account I am accruing more fees each night because that is when "processing" is done and it takes a day or two for that.

I have gone into my local branch 3 days in a row this week to try to fix this problem. Each time I leave there I leave with a positive balance and leave the account as it is. The next morning I again have a negative balance because of the overnight "processing". I'd close the account today but I have a direct deposit going in so I need to leave it open until I can get a paper check or move it to another bank. Friendly advice, avoid the aggravation I have unfortunately experienced and bank elsewhere.

Opened an account with Key Bank and was never told about the "new account hold". I went to deposit for the first time when I got paid. They told me about the new account hold and that if I deposited any checks for the first 14 days they would be held for a period of 9 days. Went back two weeks later, was told that the new account hold is 30 days. Went back after 30 days, was told it was 60 days. Went back after 60 days and for the first time heard about their "case by case policy" in which they will start holding my checks for up to 5 days to make sure my employer actually has those funds.

After my frustration over the misinformation I asked to close my account and was told I would have to pay $50. I went to another branch and a teller just cashed the check for me. A few weeks later I went to cash another check at a location I have never been to. The teller told me Key Bank will only cash checks if your account balance is equal or greater than the check. My available balance will change several times within a matter of 24 hours even if I only use my card once or not at all. I never actually know what my real balance is at any given time. Customer service representatives through their telephone system cannot help you with anything.

Was given the run around from Key Bank customer service regarding an account that I closed nearly 2 years ago prior to the merger. Apparently the account was not closed and has somehow racked up nearly $800 in charge fees over the past few months. Despite zero activity on the account since the merger Key Bank was unwilling to reverse the charges claiming that I needed to remember the branch I visited 2 years ago when I closed the account so that a paper record could be tracked down. This combined with their practices of prioritizing credits over deposits to charge overdraft fees is 100% illegal and I will be moving forward to pursue legal action. Bank of America just got in trouble for these corrupt banking practices last year - Key Bank you are next.

Key Bank Company Profile