1.12/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Key Bank

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Key Bank Reviews

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

Every time I apply with them for a business loan they deny it. 10 years and several applications and always the same grey denial reason. I have a high credit score. Get approved from other banks all the time, but KeyBank is always in deny mode. I think their underwriters are inexperienced and are many of their loan officers. Apply for a loan elsewhere and save yourself a lot of time.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

My original bank was First Niagara and they sold my account to Key Bank. What a nightmare! For few months I was sending the mortgage payments by mail. Now my house is in foreclosure because they said I never send the payments. I have all the proper evidence that shows they did cash the checks but apparently they never applied the payments to my account. I have been back and forth with them. Customer Services is terrible. Every time I call is like I have to make the all story again. The hired a lawyer now to manage all the account information and they don't let me talk to the bank directly. DO not make business with them!

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

Basically I deposited a check I ended up believing was fake. I went to Key Bank and explained everything right away. It took Key Bank 2 weeks to look into this issue, all the while my account was frozen. After two weeks they closed my account. This is my direct deposit account. Now I have to somehow get my check from work. I have been a customer for 6 years now and have not done anything wrong besides this time. So basically Key Bank sucks, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. To just close someones account after one accidental incident is bull.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

Key Bank just closed one of my accounts. Unfortunately for me, it was my direct deposit account. Now I can't even get my paycheck. AFTER 25 YEARS BEING A LOYAL CUSTOMER. THANKS FOR NOTHING KEY BANK. Lynn

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

Apparently someone disputed transactions for payments coming into my account. KeyBank doesn’t notify me and all of a sudden I am out of $765. I tell them this is fraud, open a dispute.... on day 10 I’m told credit will process. Day 11 still no credit. I call them and I’m told they need more information to investigate. Wait, you just realized this on Day 10? Sorry, no. You are scammers and thieves. Then I ask them to email me the document so I can save a little time. They send me the letter, not the document. Call them, on hold 20 min before they ask if they can call Me back? Come on. Moving my money elsewhere immediately. Company is a joke.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Key Bank?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

Cashed third party check in my checking account. Check cleared next day. 14 days later my account is under restrictions for fraud. Bank refuses to talk to me as to what is fraudulent. Filed complaint with CFPB, now they say that’s reason for hold, basically telling me we’re going to punish you for filling complaint. In any case, any law in place to protect consumer, they’re wiping their feet on it.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

I had some fraud happen to my checking account and someone took over $400 and I was in between paydays... Key Bank does not give any credit during the investigation and I’m on day 8 still without my money!!! Don’t do business with this bank. They don’t care about their customers...

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

Don’t even waste your time. Worst customer service ever. Went to local bank AND submitted proof of my address to their email and never received my debit card. They said I didn’t request one. Wouldn’t you think DUH she needs one for a CHECKING ACCOUNT. I never heard of such a thing. Very slow replies. They closed my account due to no activity. I’m sorry but I’m not putting money into the bank account till I get my debit card. They pretty much refused to give me the card despite confirming my address twice, and somehow you guys also didn’t get that information? Ever?

Doesn’t make sense. Just plain stupidity. Worst bank. Waste of my time. I didn’t even know my full bank account number till days before they closed the account. I’m glad I didn’t give my work my new bank account number, that would’ve screwed up EVERYTHING. I’m also glad they closed my account, I will NEVER reach out to their branch EVER again. I just can’t wrap my mind around it still. Crazy.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

I am a small business owner. Went to this vile den of thieves and liars to save money on my business credit card processing and bank fees. What an expensive and stupid idiotic mistake it was for me to believe a word that vomited from their lying criminal mouths. I was already using Square and was looking for a better rate. They sold me on Clover and before I was done I was $260 in the hole on undisclosed fees, equipment charges and processing fees. I called to discuss it with them. Said they would call me back. HAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Guess what? Never happened!! Bite me **.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

I opt out of the overdraft protection to avoid paying $38 for $15 or less transaction from an online charge that I either forgot to cancel after free trial or just simply don’t have the funds and am able to do w/o till funds are there. Key Bank will still charge me for the small things I was hoping to avoid by opting out! I’m a single mother with only one income (not easy to hold on to money, even when I try). If my car breaks, there goes my savings. If I’m sick and need to miss work, there is nobody else to pick up the bills. I handle everything on my own and want to use those charges towards a savings or finish cleaning up my credit which is now only - $1,800. But it burns me up when Key Bank treats me like a dummy just because I don’t have much money after my bills. There is no room for empathy.

I make mistakes and sometimes the mistake isn’t my own, but it will reflect on my record and I’m judged solely on my negative history and not on my improvements. I work two jobs and have no family except for my 7 year old. I have no backup support and it has been very very tough to find funds to improve, however I have been improving! Before I had my daughter, I was married (not to dd father) and he worked and paid the bills. Before that, my father was head of household, so I have had no experience on how to budget or even pay bills till about 10 years ago. This has been a learning process, but Key Bank shouldn’t be anyone’s first choice when learning! They are rude and judgmental and always leave feeling incompetent. Most the time in tears! I hate this bank. I don’t like hating anything, hate is such an ugly word, but I will use it towards them!

Key Bank Company Information