1.16/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 13, 2018

401 Key Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 13, 2018

Decided to open an account when I received a promotional offer by mail. The entire experience was unpleasant. Very non-customer-centric bank. Closed the account after just 2 months and will never use the bank for anything ever again.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Key Bank is the worst. I changed bank accounts a few months ago and it was a giant fiasco trying to set up automatic payments from my new checking account. I tried doing this over the phone, and they said I would have to go to one of their branches to set it up. When I went into the branch, they said I required a voided check and would have to email in my application. That alone was extremely inconvenient, and in the meantime I've been making manual payments over the phone.

I recently moved and this month when I called in to make a payment, they said I would not be able to make a payment over the phone for one month since I just moved. Seriously? This bank is an absolute joke. Dealing with the utility company is a less stressful experience. I have no idea how they are still in business, but I can't wait till my loan is paid off so I never have to deal with them. Also, good luck using their online banking. Their password and username requirements are just plain dumb. Overall this bank has not kept up with the times. I can't wait till they go out of business.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 7, 2018

Our business accounts have been with the same bank building for almost 50 years. We have been through at least a dozen acquisitions and name changes without any issues. Recently Key Bank took over from First Niagara and that's when the service went downhill. First to go was the helpful branch manager and her assistant; then the friendly tellers and, finally, the head teller. In their place, you had a bunch of rigid, unfriendly, unhelpful drones. Things finally came to a head when my 80 year old father was unable to cash a $10.00 check because the check was made out to his business and not to him personally. We went down the next day and transferred most of our accounts to another bank.

Original review: April 2, 2018

I have to agree with most of the one star ratings... and that is being generous. I visited the Parker, Colorado branch and what a joke. Perhaps mediocre customer service is a thing of the past and the concept is simply swirling the toilet bowl? Where do I start? I went in to cash a check on their bank. Ultimately, they charged me $7.50 simply to do that. Corrupt. The tellers (if that is the total they hold) simply ignored me for the first fifteen minutes. They ignored the drive up customers, telling one of them that the lobby was full.

Ummmm... I was the only one in line? How deceitful! There were two tellers. They spent more conversing with each other at the same counter than with anyone else. Another teller came in. One teller said he could help me. Well, that wasn't exactly true and he referred me to the "lead" who was ill equipped to answer simple questions. She seemed bothered that I wasn't a customer. Who in their right minds would be? I will never bank here... ever. A word to the wise.

Original review: March 31, 2018

7 years ago I was selling an antique desk online and received a buyer for it who sent me a Navy Federal check. I deposited the check only to find out it was fraudulent. The bank contacted me immediately to let me know. I never withdrew any monies from the check and as far as I knew the incident was over. Now it's 2018 and I go in and open a new account with them and after they deposit my money they tell me my account is flagged because of the fraudulent check that I deposited 7 years ago and they closed my account only to say they didn't wanna do business with me!!! Why allow me to open it in the first place? And why am I being flagged for a check I never withdrew any monies from that I also told them I received as payment from furniture I was selling online?

This is insane. I would've taken my business somewhere else and not used their bank if they had told me up front. I am definitely getting a lawyer to find out why this is legal for them to do to people. They wasted my time and then refused to give me any information on how to remove the flag. Everyone told me that Key Bank was the worst bank ever and that they have been known to use racial slurs among employees but I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Key Bank?

Original review: March 27, 2018

The worst bank ever. The Federal needs to investigate how they do business with customers. This is abuse and stealing. How can you check your account and find that a payment had already came out, so I went and make a deposit. Now today the bank charge me an overdraft fee for something that had been deducted out of my account. What I can’t understand is the fact that the payment was already taken out of my account and I had money left over in the account.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I had a total loss a vehicle. They don’t cash the checks from the insurance money in order to try to get more money from me. How they can do this to anyone is disgusting. My accident was in December. It’s now March and they want payments from me, meanwhile one service rep said no checks are posted to my account. Then I call my insurance company and the checks were posted. Over $19,000 and they still try and make me pay. I call back. This woman now says they do have the checks. This is only when I have my insurance company on the phone. They are scammers and so unprofessional.

Original review: March 12, 2018

This is a combo between the Benson/Old Seward location(s). I've had a past account and recently opened up a brand new checking account with KeyBank. The branch rep that helped me asked all the basic qualifying questions about money in...money out. I told him that I was working on-call and my employment was far from stable and very unpredictable. He suggested the Money Market account. I also had a $200 promo code for qualifying direct deposits of $500 or more. I qualified once I handed in my direct deposit slip to my employer's payroll dept.

So I was set up with a Money Market checking account. I asked about the relationship rewards because of my past account experience and asked the dollar amount of the annual fee and thus I opted in. I cannot remember which of the two I called first or who made the changes to my checking account. But between calling the branch that opened up my Money Market account to the 1-800 Customer Care line; I was advised that Express Checking would fit my needs best. And once I was on the phone with them I realized the BIG difference between the 2 account types.

So they changed my checking account from Money Market to Express Checking. With the relationship rewards in mind I went into my neighborhood branch and was to pay my annual fee and realized that dollar amount was higher because my account type was changed. Now it makes sense, but once you were quoted one thing and therefore wasn't reminded that the relationship rewards dollar amount changes also that caught me a little off guard. I paid that amount nonetheless.

Moving on, I was doing business at my neighborhood bank and asked a branch rep about the $200 promo code. He said it was still listed on my account and I was good for another month a total of 3 months from the time I opened up my checking account. I don't read the fine print entirely (but most really don't). And why shouldn't I of taken the word of the banking rep that stated to me I had time for that $500 direct deposit to hit my account before that $200 promo would make me eligible. He misinformed me long story short. The $200 promo code was good for 2 months only not 3 months which I was quoted by that branch rep.

So between calling the branch that opened up my account, my neighborhood branch and escalations to the Executive Team; I was finally told after back and forth debate that it wasn't the fault of KeyBank and therefore my deadline was up on the $200 promo for brand new accounts. The neighborhood branch manager stated that if he could he would honor the $200 promotion (supposedly) but since I didn't open up my account with them; I had to contact the branch where I opened up my checking account initially. I called and the branch manager finally called me back. He was a listening ear at first and agreed with me that I was misinformed on the promotion deadline.

He asked who gave me the wrong info; I declined to give a name and he later called back and said that there was nothing more they could do. The executive offices were listening too and heard me out, but the conclusion remained the same. There was a small factor for the direct deposit slip on the end of my employer's time frame on the direct deposit? However there should be some accountability for misguided information between the 2 KeyBank branches.

Original review: March 6, 2018

Went into open a savings account for an Etsy shop. I has asked if it was cut and dry where there were no fees unless you obviously overdrafted. Anyway, sat there an hour with a guy and a woman that knew nothing and had no customer service skills, besides talking about their personal life. I have my accounts at American Eagle, I wanted to open an account and keep it separate from our other account in case something bad happened. Anyway, I sat there for almost an hour, no talk about the savings account, just asking me about my personal life, where did I work etc., then her telling me how her parents are building a home around a pool etc.

To the point. I asked "Heather **" IS THERE ANY HIDDEN FEES? SHE SAID NO AS LONG AS I GOT MY STATEMENTS ELECTRONIC AND TO MAKE SURE I DID THAT. The kid wanted me to use an app that you can combine all your banks, I was NOT interested in that, well she didn't hear that she said, and ASSUMED I would be doing that. WELL YOU DON'T ASSUME ANYTHING WITH OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY!!! As it took forever and the kid entering the stuff just sat and stared at me or into space it was awkward, I asked if there something wrong, he said no takes a minute, well it took forever! So, now Heather goes and gets the receipt of my deposit and just so you know, I asked, would I need a checking for what I'm doing, I was told no. Manager in Manchester bank said you would need a checking account.

I'm handed a folder with 5 sheets of paper, and my deposit, which the kid put in the wrong amount, but on deposit slip was correct. LAZY, he looked half asleep. I come home and go to set up the online statements but not before reading the list of FEES SHE DIDN'T TELL ME ABOUT!!! I was fuming! I called her up and she said, "What questions did you have, how can we make you more comfortable." I said, "You wasted an hour of my time, oh IT'S $25 TO CLOSE AN ACCOUNT BEFORE 180 DAYS. THEY TRIED TO CHARGE ME THAT THIS MORNING." I had to make a scene because I went to a different bank across from my house in Manchester as I was in Vernon yesterday, so I had opened there. She was supposed to call over and she did not to the manager at the one near my house!

She admitted to being wrong by ASSUMING I wanted this app. that links different accounts. If I'm opening an account at a different bank because I don't want anyone to have access to my other one, why would I do that? Too many hidden fees at this bank, I felt like she conned me and I told her so! She knew she was wrong when I called her and she still wanted me to keep the account! She never called the other manager. It doesn't look good when someone opens and closes an account within 24 hrs. Just beware and read the fine print first/because they don't give it to you until you are walking out the door! It's too late and you will be paying out your!

Hope this helps someone! They were useless! Only good to sit and chat! First impression, the kid says I always wanted to do this Heather meet Heather as it is both our names, Just unprofessional! Thank you to the Manchester Manager who took care of it minus the call that "Heather was supposed to make on my behalf!"

Original review: March 1, 2018

I got a car loan with Key Bank. Unfortunately, my vehicle was totaled. My insurance company paid them an amount estimated for the vehicle... They sent me a statement showing the payment. My insurance company recalculated the car amount. They are now paying them more. I also have gap insurance. It’s been three months I continued to make payments while my insurance company estimated the value. So after three months of payments no phone call saying my insurance company took the check back and they are sending a new one. They call me and give me a late fee and say I have to make a payment. I was put on hold. Argued with the representative and he put me on hold for 20 minutes while looking up my file. As if I’m just not paying and I still have this vehicle. They have no communication or records kept at all. Very unprofessional.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

I used a Key Bank ATM at 2133 Poquonock Avenue in Windsor CT on February 20th at 11:09. I tried to take out $200. The ATM took a long time to dispense the cash. A red light went on and I received the message that the ATM was unable to process my transaction at that time. I tried again but this transaction failed as well. I then went across the street to a Webster Bank ATM and was able to withdraw $200 from my Key Bank account. I called customer service after I discovered that my account was debited for $200 even though I never received the money. They told me it would take up to 10 days to resolve this issue. It is day 2 and the $200 has still not been credited to my account.

This is too long in my opinion to resolve this type of dispute. I have had similar issues in the past with Bank of America and they always resolved this type of issue in one day. I also told customer support that I would like the foreign ATM fee waived from Webster Bank ATM. First they hesitated to handle this request until I stated that I should not be charged a fee due to the fact that Key Bank ATMs are not as reliable as Webster ATMs. Webster was able to process my withdrawal request and Key Bank was not. Customer support then said that I should call back once the fees are actually charged to my account at the end of the month. This is not the answer that I was looking for. I expect a timely resolution to my issue. My only regret with this problem is that I did not take a photo of the ATM error message but Key Bank should be able to verify this issue by looking at ATM logs for terminal KB2335.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

Had to set up my online payment with them three times. I also had to drive to 20 miles to a branch to hand deliver my ACH information because they only accepted a Fax (which they said they can't confirm they received). After two months they had an issue and I was not notified so I went online to make the payment. My bank info was gone (again) and I had to work with their team for a "workaround" because of an archaic system design. By the way their system for fees and late fees seem to work fine. It seems like a scam to get fees (all have been waived though). Nothing but a headache.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

This banks should be called FEEBANK, not Key Bank. Unscrupulous practices, items pending on a Sunday night when the Federal Reserve is closed are automatically pushed through just to create an overdraft. My family has over 500,000 in this bank and have used them since 1965, when they were Society National BANK. As a third generation banking customer, they cater to people that are in the credit range of 800 and up, and have at least 50,000 in the bank. They can stick their line of credit where the sun does not shine. And their crappy practices as well. I have had great service with Huntington and PNC which I have moved all my accounts to. My branch was in Huron, Ohio. Worst service ever. Went to close my account, and was told to come back another day because a 10.27 dollar charge at a gas station was pending. GO ** yourself KEY/FEEBANK!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I have to agree with others that this bank's practices are completely unscrupulous. Depending on who you talk to, you will receive different information about fees charged to your accounts. I have had false fees removed by some customer service reps but not others. They will flat out lie to you to get you to open accounts then hit you with fees that someone assured you would not incur. I am done with these thieves. Please, entrust your hard earned money elsewhere. This bank should be investigated and closed.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

Key Bank will allow a transaction to go through and then make you pay a service charge. I have had this same experience multiple times. Today (2/6/18), when I called the customer service line, the lady I spoke with told me that "they were helping you out". In what land did "helping you out" involve making you pay for the help? I'm so pissed that I can't even go into the detail of my experience with this Fraud that calls itself a bank. Nevertheless, there are kind people at some of the branches I have visited, but the system is just there to "milk" customers. First thing 9 am tomorrow morning is to go down to the nearest branch and close my account. I have had enough. I wish I could pass with a Zero Star or even a minus Zero... Ha!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

They are unscrupulous. They will edit your debit history, push through transactions and even hold deposits to make sure your balance is screwed up. Then they'll charge big fees. I have 2 account with this bank. Every month they figure out how they made my account go negative to charge overdraft fee's on top over and over again. Every month I'm paid $200.00 dollar about this issue. This is take money off my budget. I need to paid other thing. I can't afford those people take money off my account or manipulation my financial system just to made money for themselves.

We are a working class trying to get ahead on this difficult time not for this bank stolen are blind. On top of all that they have the haughtiness to put a hold on your account for 22 days even when you are paying with money all punishment. Hope someone on the district attorney office take all those complaint on consideration and something can be done for us. This is ridiculous. Run! Run!!! Out of this Key Bank.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

I am closing an account tomorrow morning. I have spent the past six months, first, trying to get Key to acknowledge their mistake, and second, correct it. After the first fraudulent charge I called customer service, who told me to go into a local branch. I did, and the local branch manager told me to call customer service. By the time they removed the first 18.00 charge, two more had been added in the following months. Each time, I called, was told to go into a branch, and was told when I got there to call customer service.

Finally I guess they got tired of me and simply didn't send my statement (October) waiting until the end of November to remove the second eighteen dollar mistake. They had of course added one in September so they still owe me eighteen dollars. I would close the account but I feel like then they still keep the eighteen dollars. This is not a simple mistake; it is a planned profiteering scheme. If I had time I'd write a longer review and send it to the F.T.C.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

If you love throwing money away, this is the bank for you. On several occasions they have held my deposit & my debits go through & have ended up with $100 in fees. I've tried talking with them, the branch people are rude & call center don't care. This place needs investigated. They are ripping people off!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2018

I have had an account with this bank for many years. Recently after having a new automatic deposit of several hundred dollars they started delaying debits to my account in order to put it in Insufficient Funds status. During the middle of Christmas shopping in 2017 they charged me an overdraft fee when my account showed a positive balance. I made a deposit immediately which they delayed posting. So the overdraft fees continued. I had automatic payments I could not stop because of PayPal policies. But mostly because of Key Bank my account is now over $700 in arrears. They have financially ruined me. And they don't seem to care. I fully believe that they did this because of the new direct deposit. They assumed they could collect from that but I was able to change that deposit in time to another bank who truly cares about their customers!!!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

Key Bank white plains location (270). Bad customer service. Today a female teller who must be newly hired refused to cash my check because she did not know me although I am a member of this bank. The way she spoke to me she was completely unprofessional and I was forced to go to a check cashing and pay almost 30 dollars to cash my check so I can pay my rent. Word to the wise go where you are appreciated and treated better. This caused me a hardship as I was forced to spend money I did not have to spend. I would suggest not going to this teller if you enter this bank. You will not be treated fairly or with respect.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

If it seems too good to be true it probably is! I was suckered in by the $200 new account offer. I opened my new account, excited to be done with monthly fees and the promise of an extra $200 - woo hoo! I waited for my new checks and debit card - I needed the checks to change my direct deposit and the debit card to make my required transactions (and you know, to just have access to my account) to qualify for my $200. Then I waited some more... and waited again. I went into the Tigard, OR branch to see what was going on. Lead Teller Deborah ** looked up my account and told me that I should wait another week because the holidays must have slowed things down.

I revisited the branch today because I checked my account through the Key Bank phone app and found that I had been charged an overdraft fee when I had money in my account! Oh, and still no debit card. I was greeted by Deborah again after a 12 minute wait. She looks my account up again and then passed me off to the new accounts manager Tom because she didn't know what was going on. Tom looks up my account and tells me that they have put a hold on my deposit WITHOUT NOTIFYING ME and that my funds wouldn't be released until Saturday. I showed him on my phone app where it didn't list any holds on my account or any pending transactions.

I told him that it was absolutely ridiculous! He asked me if I wanted him to reverse the overdraft fee and said that I absolutely expect that fee to be reversed - IMMEDIATELY. He said that he could order me another debit card and I told him that it isn't necessary because I will be closing my account as soon as my funds are available! I now have to deal with automatic payments that I had authorized and fees involved with those companies for the returned payments. This has been such a NIGHTMARE! NOT WORTH THE PROMOTIONAL MONEY!!!

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I have an checking account with Key. It double dipping on transaction causing the rest of the charges bound so it can charge for bound check. I also have a credit card account with it. I may pay on the beginning of the billing circle and it never update my balance until the end of the billing circle so it can charging interest. I've called them. The call went to Philippine. No one can help me except keep paying until it paid.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

How do they stay in business? Fees. These people are unscrupulous. They will edit your debit history, push through transactions and even hold deposits to make sure your balance is screwed up. Then they'll swoop in and hit you with the big old fees. They need to be shut down.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

I initially opened my account (15+ years ago) with Harleysville National Bank, and never had a problem. It turned into First Niagara, again, never had a problem. Now it has become Key Bank. I was in a hurricane (Category 5- Maria, Sep 19, 2017), that left us without power for several months, no cell-phone service, no internet, and no communications for several weeks. When I was finally able to leave the island and contact Key Bank customer service, they first challenged my claim that I had been through a hurricane (even though the address on file is easily verifiable). They have continued to charge late fees, report non-payment, and charge interest -AND- they have now closed my account.

Every other major card I carry, identified the address with the disaster zone and put all charges, fees, penalties, AND CREDIT REPORTING on hold for 90 days. All other cards (Amazon, Capitol One, Cabelas) did this before I ever contacted them. They linked the address with the disaster zone, and took actions to assist us. Key Bank - still refuses to even admit there was a hurricane, they have refused to remove late fees, they have refused to revoke the negative credit reports, and after speaking with the "highest" level authority in Key Bank, despite their kind words on the phone, they just play dumb, and do nothing.

They will not tell me the reason they have closed my account (although I have never missed a payment, with the exception of Oct, and Nov 2017 due to the hurricane). In December 2017, upon returning to the land of electric, phone, and internet, I made payment as I promised, and the account balance was paid in full. My account is now closed, and no one at Key Bank will tell me why, or explain to me any reasoning behind it, and they continue to ignore the natural disaster that tore through the USVI just 3 months ago. This is the worst bank I have ever dealt with. I advise everyone to run away from this bank as fast as you can. This is the most predatory bank I have ever seen - taking advantage of victims of natural disaster.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I opened my bank account with HSBC about 15 years ago. Never had ANY problems. HSBC turned into First Niagara. Still a fine bank. But since Key Bank took over, it has been one nightmare after another. TWICE Key Bank deposited a check into my account and made it part of my available balance only to (days later) inexplicably take the check amount back out of my account. Why? Well it took me several visits to my local branch and 3 WEEKS to get the explanation (via snail mail) that the check "couldn't be read by our scanner" so it has been voided from my bank account, thus sending my account into overdraft.

Of course I was then hit with multiple overdraft fees. Because of a fault with THEIR system, not due to any issue with me, my money, or my own banking procedures. My local branch tried to figure out what the problem was and to refund my overdraft fees but no success. If your local branch has no power to refund you anything then what is the point of all this? I am closing my account. This is fraud, in my opinion.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

OMG. How could there so many disconnections, wrong departments, and so much internal confusion? All for a fairly straightforward question? Each person I spoke was friendly enough, even in the face of my growing frustration–kudos to them for that–but then would send me to the wrong place, give me the wrong information, or, in one case, inadvertently hang up on me. All the while, messages played about how the queue was 1-3 minutes. It wasn't. I've had accounts with Key for years–a mortgage, investments, etc.–but after today, sadly, I have to look for a new bank, because I cannot stomach that much ineptitude. I am beyond appalled.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

We applied for a home loan in mid July, they said to change to another loan package to save money, it caused a higher estimated payment and a second hit in our credit within one month! We paid money upfront, inspection, etc. They kept changing requirements, charged us for appraisal and we did a year of homeowners on November 3. After several delays and a ridiculous delay of the bank refusing to close because the current homeowners wanted to keep their oil and gas rights and after we were told four different closing dates, we are now into December. The house needs some outside work and we are paying insurance, job verifications complete and every paper trail covered and all requests submitted, 5 months after we start we aren't permitted in this house and finally are denied due to lack of collateral... something never asked for!!!

Now we lose out on over 3k, which is a lot for us. We may get 1k of hand money back, but canceling the homeowners we only get part back, and the rest is gone.

Not to mention we currently rent and gave three notices of moving, luckily the landlord understand delay after delay! So in November I tell the landlord we will be out by mid January... I pay rent twice a month. He has a new tenant... and I have less than 30 days to move with two minor children in school and money for downpayment first month rent etc gone because we used it to buy our first home, we aren't getting now. And we have those credit inquiries we have to start all over! It has been stressful beyond what this process should have been!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

There is definitely predatory and illegal practices going on at this bank. Since when does a bank NOT have to give itemized details of charges? And be able to foreclose on homes by sending a letter (regular mail) stating an astronomical settlement amount to avoid foreclosure. And to add insult to injury the letter will allow you 30 days to come up with the unexplained dollar amount (way more than mtg payments) but you come to find out the foreclosure process has already been started. Then they won't accept payments even if it's within the 30 days. The letter states "payment will be accepted within 30 days from RECEIPT of letter".

When you have customer service reps from different departments tell you that you shouldn't be talking to other departments of the bank...that's a red flag right there. I find it very hard to believe that with all the complaints registered (the ones we can see online) with the Consumer Protection Bureau and other sources, this bank is not in a full investigation. When Key took over for First Niagara both mine and my mother's accounts (home equity loans) were all of a sudden 60 past due. Then our checking accounts started getting charged all kinds of overdraft fees.

I documented every time I checked our balances for "available balance". Somehow like clockwork, 2 to 3 days after a deposit is made and showing as part of the "available" balance, you get hit with overdraft fees for any checks or purchases made since the deposit. I was told more than once it was because the deposit was on hold. If that were the case then the deposit wouldn't have shown as part of the available balance. I was told I needed to start taking pictures of the available balance so I have proof. How many people take pictures of their bank accounts! With this bank you would have to do that several times a day because there's no rhyme or reason why they do things. Easy to say get away from this bank. They get you in a corner and you're stuck.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

Key Bank has the worst system, that I have ever dealt with. You have to be a rocket scientist, to figure out all the coding that they use, for your bank account. From 7 p.m, to 7 a.m., you are unable to access a lot of your needed information. Other days, their system is shut down, and you can't get on, at all. Still other times, they will not notify you, if a check has not been cashed. If you have a credit, under a dollar, in your "line of credit", they just take remove it. They are constantly "apologizing", because of their incompetence. I don't want an apology; I want service. Why do they need 12 hours every day to mess up people's accounts? They can probably do that in a much shorter time frame. As I said: "Worst bank, ever".

Original review: Dec. 6, 2017

Very rude women tellers. Very unwelcoming. Throws your receipt at you, instead of handed to you. Wish I didn't open account with them. I have talk to others customers. They said the same thing about this one particular teller. No manners and no people skills.

Key Bank Company Information