1.02/5

112 Voya Financial Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I fell and broke my femur at a bakery where I work one day a week. They called 911 and I was taken to Cleveland clinic as a trauma 1. I had a intermodal titanium rod put through my broken bone to straighten it a huge screw in my hip and two screw three my femur. They denied my claim as for profit.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I called to have my money deposited in my checking account. I gave them the info. Told I had to wait 7 days. Called back then I needed to fill out a form and fax it to have it direct deposit. Did that, called. Closed out acct on Sept 10th. Suppose to be direct deposited in 3-5 days. Wasn't, it was mailed. I didn't want mail. I am out of town and not getting my mail and I need the money now. A bunch of clowns, unprofessional and I am stuck and no one can help.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I've been working with Voya Financial trying to get a 401K distribution which I'm 100% vested for over 16 weeks and somewhere around 20 phone conversations. Their communication and responses are 100% non existent. They state they'll do things to assist in the distribution, but never responded to me in regards to status. The last response from Voya after 16 weeks of trying to get a distribution is that they cannot get a response from the Company's owner and I need to call and place a claim with the Department of Labor. Then Voya states that it'll take approximately 6 months for Department of Labor to rectify claim.

A little history (to be fair) is that I worked for a company that closed its doors and company's owner is required to sign off on 401K distribution. He has not responded to them and they have never returned any communication to me explaining the situation. I've experienced the runaround upon every call and this has dragged the process out increasing my frustration with Voya. Should you have a voice in deciding partnering with Voya Financial in regards to your IRA's or 401Ks, you need to consider my comments because their customer service is 100% non functional.

Original review: July 31, 2018

Filed accident claim to where I had surgery but to my surprise since it was on the same job that I had taken the insurance policy out on claim denied. Be aware of what Voya does cover you if you get hurt on the job. You have paid for nothing... not one single thing you have give them you will never see.

Original review: July 18, 2018

January 2018 we contacted VOYA to convert a life policy. Face value was only 52k but we needed the insurance. Voya made multiple mistakes issuing the policy, they actually had to pull their calls to confirm their mistakes because they tried to get out of processing the request. The policy was issued at the wrong age 1.5 months after the process was started. I called the Friday I received the policy, explained the issue and unfortunately my father-in-law passed that Sunday. Voya never corrected the issue age. The check was finally released 1.5 months after his death. The check was short $3245.00. A month later I am calling them asking where the money is.

On three separate occasions speaking with several managers I have been told the check would be released and sent next day air. Again this morning I was lied to. They never sent the check. Death is a nightmare, somewhere along the line Voya forgot purpose of life insurance. We paid over 3400 for 6 months and they can't release a check for 52k, not to mention the fact that my father-in-law had paid into the policy for 20 years.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Voya Financial?

Original review: July 8, 2018

For months I've been jerked around by Voya. They keep losing my claims until the statute of limitations runs out then denies my claims. Their website says 10 business days but it's actually 20 business days or longer. Liars.

Original review: June 24, 2018

Routine inquiries, any customized assistance or shopping for better offers is nigh impossible or very very difficult. This is not all Voya's (formerly ING's) fault since this company's products are offered through a "gate-keeper" agency, i.e., Colorado Public Employees' Retirement Association (CoPERA). The problem with Voya is they've created a totally automated customer service platform that really is just another investment-bot product, which CoPERA promotes and defends for undisclosed/unknown compensation and/or reasons.

The complaint is two fold and runs both directions: CoPERA claims that they, and not Voya, create the available investment funds offered (?); and CoPERA's track record at investing and many things is so dismal that such a claim can only dissuade CoPERA members from signing-up or staying with Voya; but trying to leave Voya puts the member at risk of Voya messing up the distribution (which CoPERA may count on happening in order to either punish members for leaving CoPERA sponsored investment vehicles or at best intercede to pressure Voya to correct their error and then claim accolades for CoPERA being so responsive!).

Complaints related to CoPERA should probably go to the CoPERA Board or Colorado's State Attorney General, but Voya's website is often down for maintenance, and is a such an average product (for a large group subscription) with which too many things that can go wrong, that are compounded and not improved by having a "gatekeeper" sponsor like CoPERA to "help" in the event of a problem. In other words, whatever the quid pro quo is between Voya and CoPERA, it does not seem to benefit individual investors either through investment fund returns or customer service (although fees are reasonable, the funds' performance are subject to the maxim of, "You get what you pay for.").

Original review: June 22, 2018

I wish I knew before now!! I submitted a death claim in April and 2 months later, I am still getting the runaround from this company. I thought a life insurance policy was suppose to help with the expenses of a love one when they die. Not SO!! I am still waiting! Unacceptable and inexcusable. SHAME on Voya Financial. If you're thinking about taking out a policy with this company... DON'T.

Original review: June 14, 2018

VOYA goodbye. After numerous calls during which many instances of invalid information was given us, our attempts to transfer via a standard rollover did not happen (unlike that of which my E*TRADE brokerage account took one day to complete after its on-line transaction for the same type of business having no complications!). The second person we talked with at VOYA said that it could be effected on-line. After working with her for 40 minutes, she said she could do it "at my (her) end" and we were assured it would be done within a couple of weeks. After finding no action had taken place and no funds were transferred, we again initiated contact. We were told that forms would have to be mailed to us, at which time we balked and asked that they be faxed instead. We completed, signed, and faxed to release documents back the same evening.

Here we are just about a month later (from the 21st to the 19th of the next month), and the funds are still not transferred. Originally, we had asked for a partial transfer, but the process was so problematic at VOYA that we changed it to a complete withdrawal for the rollover. Three times calls were dropped. Signed withdrawal forms (9 pages) per VOYA were faxed to a third party processing company on June 1 at 4:38 for "approval". Today, on a call to that firm at six PM, we are informed that the fax went out on June 5 to the same number that we were told to use by VOYA this day and on June 1. VOYA claims they were never received. Re-transmission today or early tomorrow is assured but VOYA said they will not call to confirm receipt.

In addition to all the above encumbrances and delays, each call had an automated voice demanding a PIN, which number we had never received; after a convoluted exchange with the robot, and minutes later, we were told by a clerk that it was not necessary. This dialog with the PIN issue happened on each call. In addition to the extreme difficulty getting our own money out of that company, now in its fourth week of being run around, I reminded them that when we had signed on with them that in large bold lettering on the "contract" the figure "3.5%" appeared whereas the most recent rate on the fund is 1.34% - the real icing on the cake.

The most disgusting part of the whole mess is that each time we called, estimated to be as much as a dozen times, we had to hear "VOYA - A MOST ETHICAL COMPANY." Hardly, I would say. The upshot of the above is that the money will be MAILED, not wired as requested, and could be received at the other end in as much as twelve days, this, according to VOYA's representative this evening, and no, they will not call us when the mail goes out. Conclusion - why do they even get even one star?

Original review: June 11, 2018

This is the second time VOYA mishandled a simple request to roll over my funds into another retirement account. Their excuses are always, "Sorry our system is down," the back office did something wrong, there was a process delay with the checks, etc... I am taking all my money out of VOYA Financial, if they can't handle a simple request to rollover funds (after completing the appropriate forms) and doing what I have to do can't imagine they can handle any money management. Inexcusable for a financial institutional. I will be filing a complaint with the Attorney General's office and any other entity governing financial management institutions.

Original review: June 8, 2018

Requested a distribution from my 401k to meet my required minimum distribution because I just turned 70 1/2. Made the request on 5/13/18 after completing and faxed the forms required. Receive a letter 2 days later that the forms were received and approved and that the funds would be deposited in my bank account. The money was taken out of my Voya account on the date of the letter. The money did not arrive in my bank after a week. I called and was informed that because my checking account is in a trust I would need to have the forms I sent in to be notarized. I did not understand what my bank account being in a family trust would be relevant since it is only receiving the money. My Voya account is not in the trust and is the account sending the money.

When I spoke to Voya about not receiving the money they said my option would be to receive the check by mail. They told me to allow 10 business days (excluding weekends and holidays) for the check to arrive. I live in Northern California and the check is coming from Iowa. It takes 4 to 5 days for mail to get from me to my children in Washington DC, but I let that go. 16 days after the check was supposedly mailed (Mailed on 5/23/18 called on 6/8/18) I was told I should wait until Monday 6/11 in case it arrives then at which point I could request a new check. I asked how it was mailed. I was told that they are sent via regular US Mail with no tracking number available as would be the case with US Priority Mail.

Today I asked to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor Marvin told me that they only discovered yesterday that no checks got printed on 5/23/18 because of a glitch and that they were not mailed. They have since been mailed via regular 1st class US Mail. Why didn't the people I spoke with before asking to speak with him not know this? Marvin didn't have an answer for this as he only just found out himself. I asked when I should expect the check. Marvin said by Monday or Tuesday and that he would call me to follow up.

I asked for a case number for my complaint to reference if another call was required and Marvin said that he would just keep a note to follow up with me. I asked if he could provide me with a contact person to lodge a formal complaint as these people have a lot of my retirement savings. Marvin said that no such department existed but that I could write a letter and fax it to Voya. I will be transferring my retirement savings from Voya.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I recently requested a withdrawal from Voya last Tuesday 5/29/18. I happened to call and ask for a UPS tracking number, that's when I was informed the requested was rejected. Not one person contacted me to ask questions or email me when a update. On Friday I was told by a line supervisor name Chris I would we be contacted by phone within 48 hours. I still haven't received a call. I called 4 times in one and each representative states, "I'm notating the account, a decision hasn't been determined." I have spoken with several retired individuals and they state for the headache I should redirect the money to another source or financial advisor. If the online system allows you to make the request, naturally the individual will assume the system is approving and processing the request. I will update the outcome once I get a definitive answer.

Original review: May 12, 2018

Voya's customer service is poor at best. It appears to be outsourced even if it isn't. They have messed up the cash out of my father's estate by sending checks by mail when I paid for overnight service. They took forever to get it figured out and I had told them the timing of the cashout was time-sensitive. I had two cashouts on the same day, executed the same way with the same forms and they processed them both completely differently. They sent one overnight and the other by snail mail. They wouldn't send them so I could them before 8 pm at night even though I requested that and would pay for it.

I was passed from one rep to another even though I asked for a manager. They all treated me the same. I feel like they did only the very minimum and wanted to get off the phone so they could leave issues to the next person who answered the phone. Really bad service. I'll be moving the rest of my money to another company going forward. I want to know that when I need help it will be competent and caring. This is not the case at this point with Voya. My recommendation: don't park your money here unless mediocrity is ok with you on all levels. "Most Ethical Company" - I don't think so.

Original review: April 9, 2018

Voya spent 6 months trying to delay the payment of a life insurance claim on my Mom. When they were pressured enough with threats from me and the Minnesota Insurance, they issued a claim check. Voya then bounced the claim check twice. Either their finances are very flaky or the claims underwriters are the most vile and despicable individuals the planet has. They will abuse the bereaved and do all to cheat the policyholder. I would say, “Shame on you Voya”, but you have no shame.

Original review: April 2, 2018

Employer-provided accident insurance - These guys procrastinate as much as possible in hopes of claimant giving up and going away. They have only one concern and that's collecting premiums, customer service is much like processing claims. Nonexistent at best. I have decided to inform my employer and coworkers to cancel their accident insurance, it's a waste of funds on a policy that can never be depended upon.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I was considering signing up for long term disability insurance but the customer service gal from the customer service # would not help me with "GENERAL" Policy definitions and questions unless I disclosed my full name. What a joke! She said it was for security purposes and refused to answer what "effective date of coverage" meant. How are people supposed to research if a policy suits their specific needs unless the company discusses fine print and disclaimers? Talk about no transparency. I then asked her for her full name and she said she could not divulge for security/privacy reasons. What an idiot. Where do they find these people? I will NOT be purchasing a 401K or LT Disability Policy with Voya. No thank you!

Original review: March 20, 2018

Recently transferred a high-value 401K managed by VOYA for Yum Brands to another financial institution. VOYA seemed to throw roadblocks up right and left to delay the transfer. It took six weeks to transfer the funds when it should have taken 10 days at most. They acted like they were doing everything they could to hold onto the funds as long as they could. It may not seem like a lot, but I lost over $500 in interest because of the delays. Simply unacceptable.

Original review: March 17, 2018

When taking a $1,000 loan from my 401k plan which was approved and the check sent to me I took it to two places and got a response of nonsufficient funds declined. Why?? I am trying to figure out if the check is good and so is the creditors.

Original review: March 11, 2018

Having 401K account at Voya I twice had difficulties to resolve simple issues: first, being retired, when I wanted to start withdrawing my money on monthly basis, it took for them no less than 2 weeks to process my request. Then later I decided to receive annual distributions each December INSTEAD of monthly ones, I called them in September 2017 about it, they OKd it, but have never send me any confirmation letter or email and to my big surprise in December 2017 they transferred annual distribution ON TOP of the previous 9 monthly distributions...

I contacted them, it took about a week to be connected to the manager who refused to admit their fault starting annual distribution in 2017 on top of previous monthly distributions instead of the next year. Clear poor management: dealing with customers' money and not having a system to confirm future transactions by at least email is just unacceptable practice for a financial institution.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

This is the worst company I have ever done business with. State of Oregon decided to have this horrible company manage our Oregon Growth Plan. I withdrew money on 1/3/2018 spoke with an employee named Shekoa. She asked me if I wanted to have federal tax and state tax withheld, I told her, "No, only Federal tax," twice. Well when the money is deposited they deducted federal and state tax.

Since January 11, 2018, I have been given the run around about getting the money back. The supervisor Janice that I spoke with on 11/11/2018 said she would have to pull the tapes and listen to them before she could process the refund. When I called on 2/7/2018, I find out on 2/7/2018 when I make another call to find out where is my money that Janice only listened to the tapes on 2/2/2018, 22 days later. According to supervisor Michael ** whom I spoke with on 2/7/2018 that this was going to be expedited and Michael ** would call on Friday, February 9, 2018. Guess what, no phone call or message from Michael **. I called back today, 2/12/2018, to find out after speaking to supervisor Janice that the money will not be coming until 2/20/2018, forty days after the request. Horrible, horrible company to do business with. Consumer Affairs really needs to look into this company's practices. Employees lie to customers, shame on them.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

My father died in September. It is now February and I am still dealing with this horrible company who transfers me 5 times every time I call and then won't give me information. I have filled out forms and more forms, and then they decide they want more forms and more documents. One time, faxing is ok, one time it is not. THE WORST!!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

My employer recently switched from a well-known, reputable financial company to Voya to service our 403(b) retirement plans. The problems for me started right away because I had a loan already existing from the previous company, which Voya was supposed to just start serving. In all paperwork it says Voya will debit the monthly loan payment from my supplied checking account (which it took me weeks to successfully enter into their website/system). A couple weeks after Voya took over, I get a loan default notice from them. The loan I had was in good standing when we switched. After numerous calls and emails to them (their customer service is terrible and each person you talk to will tell you something different) they agreed there was an error and reinstated the loan (not without first making me pay $500.00).

Since that whole fiasco every month since they have not taken out my monthly payment “automatically” as they state and each month they then send a “loan default warning” letter. I have to then call their hapless customer service AND my plan admin and then they then fix it. Another huge issue besides the fact they never debit your monthly loan payment and it triggers all sorts of warnings and scary letters, you can’t go on their website to make a payment yourself! The only payment you can make online is for the whole loan balance. If you are thinking you might need a loan sometime from your 401k or 403b - go anywhere else besides Voya. Employees at my company fought HR once they announced our upcoming switch - now I know why. I’ve hated dealing with them.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I have been forced by the state of Michigan (my employer) to use this company for my retirement management for years and it has been nothing short of a train wreck. I am a seasonal employee and am laid off for 3 months in the winter each year. I have taken 401k loans out 2x now and there is never a problem getting the money. The problems start when you try to repay the loans! I had payments set up to come out of my check. When I went into layoff, I discovered that they don't accept personal checks for payment, or wire transfers (unless you set up an automatic withdrawal - no way, I don't trust them!). The only payment they will take is a post office money order in the EXACT AMOUNT. If it is even a penny over they will send the check back to you and say you are late on your payment and in danger of default.

Even when I sent in two money orders to cover the current and now late I get another late warning letter, dated two weeks from the day it was received and stating that the payment is due yesterday. I call customer service and they say "sorry, the late notices are sent out automatically, they don't even know if you're paid up or not". WHAT?! So, the newest issue is this: I got a loan re-amortization notice in the mail today stating that I have a higher payment now. In the same mailbox in a separate envelope is my money order for this month's payment, returned, saying that it's the wrong amount (because of the re-amortization). How am I supposed to know that they changed my loan and the payment is different??? I never authorized this action. I called customer service and they say they decided to re-amortize because I am in "leave of absence status". I am laid off, not on leave of absence and that has only been for 4 weeks.

What is different this year, compared to the previous 3 years of this loan? I get laid off every year! What will it be next?! The representative on the phone then tried to get me to allow Voya to automatically withdraw funds monthly to pay the payments. No way! I'm not allowing Voya to dig into my bank account, too. Can't wait to change jobs and move my money out of Voya. I have a feeling they have no intention of ever making that easy. They act like it's their money.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

Not only did they have the wrong address on file, going from correct to not, but they send everything weeks late. I did a process of drawing my retirement on the 3rd, and changing to paperless. There is no confirmation. No tracking number. Nothing. So they decide to send the check with UPS. I call multiple times over 2 weeks to ask what’s going on. I get “no idea” and “do you want to cancel and try again?” Which would take probably another 2 weeks in their “3 to 5 day timeline”.

I talk to multiple people, finally I get a someone who knows about this tracking number I haven’t been given at any point, though it was asked for, he looks it up and tells me it was delivered Monday to an address that doesn’t exist and that no one signed for it...so they left it...a check for thousands of dollars at an apartment complex. Of which my relative is the office manager, who also hasn’t seen it or heard of it. They did manage to tell me on the phone that no one cashed it. One good part.

Best part, the confirmations on paper, of both the withdrawal being approved and sent as well as the GOING PAPERLESS LETTER, all arrived Sunday and Friday. Yesterday...11 days after the “check arrived” and 15 days after they were supposed to arrive, 5 days after the grace period of 10 days after “sending”. I will be calling on Monday to lose my mind because it was not handled the way it was supposed to be on Friday. Voya is a crook. They want your money to never leave, and they’re “processing time” is a part of that. If I do have to cancel this check on Monday. It will be deposited into my account Monday. I promise you that.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

These people SUUUCK. I never signed up for additional benefits on the plans my employer offers and these thieves sign me up anyway and start deducting my paycheck! I have to waste my time and call to cancel and when I ask for reimbursement on the money they stole (I have physical evidence that I didn't sign up for their plans and they just signed me up without my consent) they said they don't do it! I told my employer that they wont reimburse me. My employer said, "Yes they are supposed to". It took a supervisor calling them for them to admit they will reimburse me but it will take two months since they have to wait for the January bill to come through and then it takes a month after that. So end of Feb I'll get my money. You can bet your bottom dollar I won't forget VOYA and if you don't reimburse my money I'll be calling. Thieves. I had cancer and need every cent I earn and they just steal it like that. That is very unprofessional and just WRONG.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I filed my wellness claim Jan 2 and I have both critical and accident insurance. I received my benefit from my critical illness but not my accident. We are now on day 7 and all they can tell me is that they have expedited it and have managers involved and they will contact me within 24 hours. I have been told this several times now and I don't know what you all think expedite means but to me it means that is priority and should be done quickly.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Customer Service is terrible. You can tell by the tone and attitude in their voice that they are not in the mind frame to actually provide customer service to you - the consumer (how dare we call and bother them). I had a general question about my wellness claim. Before I could even finish my question the rep rudely cut me off and informed me that it takes up to 5 days to process my claim. She just dove right into the generic, pass the buck and good luck way of doing business. Had she listened to my question fully before cutting me off, she would have heard that it does not matter when I submitted my claim, my question had nothing to about the processing time. It seemed like she didn't even want to deal with or even touch my case, look up my information or answer my questions until after 5 days. WTG Voya for training your employees and making sure your customers are well cared for!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

Letter in September gave the amount of increase in premium effective November. Allotment was increased effective October. Got a letter in November stating decrease of face amount due to non receipt of increase. Numerous phone calls and a Fax showing the increase in allotment later the matter was supposedly resolved. Received a letter stating that in early December. Today received a letter dated Dec. 21 stating decrease in face value due to non receipt of increase. This matter will be turned over to the insurance commissioner!

Updated on 02/06/2018: I posted in December about the problems we have with VOYA!! And the story continues - they are getting the correct premium EVERY month but continue to send a letter every month informing us about a decrease in face value - got another letter on Saturday!! Called today and it became obvious that they do not know what they are doing - had to submit proof of payment AGAIN!!! Since I can't cancel this policy - only VOYA can do that. I feel I am forced to cancel my allotment altogether. VOYA has been collecting my premiums since November 1992 but I will not see a penny of this money nor will my wife if I were to die today!!!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

Applied for a over 59 1/2 withdrawal the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Still waiting for the funds on 12/15. Nothing but worthless lip service from Voya reps. They made a lower bid to manage my employee 401k fund and took over from Hewitt. Big mistake on the part of my employer.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

My employer recently switched our profit sharing retirement accounts to Voya Financial. This morning a coworker of mine and I had difficulty registering to access our accounts on their site. After registering, I couldn't get into my account. Called the place numerous times with no success. Still can't access my account online. Had to do it online. I wouldn't choose them if I was given a choice!

Voya Financial Company Information