Voya Financial

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have requested to withdraw my money from this company going on 4 months now. The company I worked for was bought out by another company so my retirement fund was transferred from Fidelity Investments to Voya, where all of my problems started. From the get-go I was told that withdrawing my money would be an easy process, I would just need to fax a copy of my social security card to verify my account since it was transferred. I did this immediately and waited the week long period in which it would take to appropriately verify my account as I was told by the customer representative. Once I called back, I was told that none of my information could be verified and that I would have to call the HR representative at my work because they must be transferring information over incorrectly so Voya does not currently see ANY account open under my name.

Keep in mind I have been receiving mail from them with all of my account information on it for a couple of weeks now, so I have no idea why they cannot see any of my account information. Also keep in mind I never worked for this company, I worked for the company that was bought out, so they no longer have any of my HR information. It took weeks of couple multiple people, multiple times to figure out that when I sent over my social security card months before, it appeared that the wrong social security number was entered, so I now had two accounts open, one under the correct SSN with none of my account information in it and one under the incorrect SSN with all of my account information in it. Once this was figured out, I verified with the customer service representative I was speaking with 3 TIMES what the correct SSN was so we could merge the two accounts and I could withdraw my money.

I waited the week like I was told before calling back to confirm the accounts were merged. AGAIN, all of my information was merged under the WRONG SSN. At this time I was assured that in a couple of days because this is now an ongoing account that it would only a couple days to correctly merge the accounts. It has now been another week and my accounts are still merged under the wrong account. I will never again put my money with Voya because they are obviously not responsible with the account information that is given to them nor concerned about the time it takes to perform simple tasks.

I have contacted Voya Financial regarding Hardship Withdrawal roughly 3 weeks ago, explaining the clear urgency of my situation which was covered under one of their options that will qualify for Withdrawal. It was denied, but none of them would even call or email me to advise what it is they would need to help expedite this process. I was told I had to redo the request package over. I did it again and this time I made sure there is every thing they say they need to be able to approve it. On July 14, 2017 I spoke to one of the managers and he said he would "elevate" it because EVICTION is a serious matter. We both assured that all the documents are in good order.

I called Voya everyday to get status update. No one told me anything other than it is still "under review." I kept calling once every day to get update, 10 days later I spoke to another manager, he said something is missing in my document (which no one ever told me in the last 10 days something was missing, even though I asked if there is anything they need from me to speed it up). The manager I spoke to (two different ones in two days in a row) said there is a note stating there is something missing, perhaps page two (but page two is not applicable to my case according to this manager), but the note didn't really specify what exactly.

There is ZERO communication between these people. The managers ensured me that they are unable to "CALL" their customer when they find a problem (even though the customer is in dire urgent need of help), the ONLY person that can call is the ONLY person (according to managers) who can make a phone call would be the person who review the documents to make sure they are good to go. But the managers said, "this person can only be reached at the moment by email and there is no reply from him/her yet" (10 days later). So there is this big mystery, of what it is they need from me and why can't they tell me what is missing so that I can fax it to them. And why no one is able to use phone to call customer to tell them what is the problem is beyond me.

One day the system is down, the next day I get on hold for a manager for over 50 minutes. There is always something with Voya. The customer service reps who answer the phone calls initially are all lovely, but no one can do anything to help you. Even the managers. They are all lost (except for one man, Mr. **, he said for them to take 10 days to process and review and still not come up with solution to work with me is unacceptable,) I agree with him - especially I am going to get evicted. I have children and I had just gone through a bad divorce where I lost everything even though my ex wife had the affairs! In summary: The communication between departments at Voya is terrible. They are unable to call you, or they will not to inform you of any issues in order to help you in your time of urgent need!

There was one small info that is missing in the request package - knowing full well that this is URGENT (it got elevated by manager) situation, but yet they choose to mail you a denial letter about why it is they are unable to process the request. They are very vague because no one seems to know anything, it is a big secret. And when I asked them if they could call that particular department and person to discuss what they need, they all said they CANNOT!!! Every time I call, I am left with nothing, no answer, no progress, and very frustrated. If it is urgent, call your customer! They have a lot of red tape (perhaps simply poor management), they are definitely not there to HELP anyone. They act as if you are begging for the money that isn't yours and your problems is not theirs.

In my whole life, I have NEVER before - on God's honor have this much difficulties, terrible service and problems dealing with any institution or company (including DMV, Veteran's affairs, and many other terrible places in America for service.) And I have NEVER wrote any complaint for anyone before either. After my divorce and 18 months of lawyer's fees and custody battles, I am robbed of everything that I own except my clothes. I simply asked them politely day after day after day that I need help and I will be on the streets and I will lose my kids.

But they never took it to heart. All they can say like bunch of robots is, "I am sorry" or "it's under review, " or "I am not sure" or "we cannot." Why is this institution still around? Why does Lockheed Martin still use them, is this what your employees deserve? Today is the 11th day. How can they not call each other in different department to assist the customer??? How are they not able to call each other on the phone to ask what the problem is, how can they sit on anything this urgent and tell their customer they don't know what is wrong because only ONE PERSON knows it and they cannot get a hold of this person by phone??? By their contract they must process no later than 7 business days.

The fact that they cannot do it in that time, they simply denied it and cook up a reason why they cannot grant the request. Because I don't know what else I can do to make this right. No one has given me any solution, and I have asked three different managers, at least 18 other customer service reps what do I need to do, and even offered some solutions to them, but nothing! It feels like I am trying to drill a tunnel into a face of a mountain with my bare fist. Yes... until these people get a proper leadership, and proper management - stay clear from them!!! I need this issue resolved. I will keep going, if I have to go to the television and my Congressman, I will.

This company is honestly the worse ever. I had shoulder surgery on May 30th 2017, I'm only suppose to be off work 10 weeks, they said they can't start payment until after 30 days, then on top of that they can only mail you the check once a week, no direct deposit. So every week on Friday I go check my mail to see if my check has arrived, smh, sometimes it’s there during the week sometimes it’s not. Today is Monday July 24th 2017, I didn't get my check from last week so hopefully this week they send both of them. People who are off work due to an injury are already on a set income, I use my short term disability check to buy groceries and put gas in my car which I haven't been able to do and feel like a straight bum, I’m for sure getting Aflac next time.

Nothing this company and their retirement offerings are standard. None of the funds have legitimate ticker symbols, so you can't follow them. You cannot get in-service withdrawals after 59.5. We have a stupid management and they stay with this jacksticks.

My father passed away last December. Voya is the plan administrator for his savings plan of which my brother and I are beneficiaries. It's been over 6 months and we are still trying to transfer the funds to a new plan. Consistently, we are told "The system is down," "You need to now fill out this form," "Once you fill out the form, it will be another 5-7 days and then you need to complete another form," "Call back tomorrow." In addition, I have spent hours on the phone only to be disconnected randomly. Each call back requires me to start over with why I am calling. The experience has been the same for my brother. My financial advisor stated, "We have never experienced anything as awful as Voya." Do not willingly choose to work with them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Voya Financial?

I'm not sure why people have left so many bad reviews. I called customer service on Friday, June 2, 2017 around 4:30 pm to request a loan from my 403(b) retirement account. The customer service rep I spoke with was very courteous. The phone call only took about 10 minutes. I checked the website and my documents were available to print. I printed and faxed them into Voya. At 4:54 pm, I received a confirmation email that my documents had been received and would be and reviewed and/or processed.

Wednesday at 1:01 am, I received an email stating my loan was approved and I would receive payment in about 2-3 business days. At 10:00 am, on Wednesday the funds were deposited into my account. The whole process took 2 business days. Maybe it's not Voya, but the companies you work/ed for. They have to approve the loan and which fund the money can come from. My experience with Voya was wonderful. It just goes to show, you can't trust reviews and you should always go off your own judgment.

The worse retirement company ever! I left my job four years ago. I literally have been trying to get my money from my 401k for four years. I just gave up trying. So I started back last week trying to get my money. I called again, and was told I have to go through the employer to get the papers I need to withdraw my money. The employer has since been bought out. VOYA would not give me any information on my money. MY address has changed six times in the four years. I have no freaking idea what address they have on file. This company is a nightmare and should not be in business. The customer service sucks. Worst place by far to trust with your money. I see countless reviews all recent in regards to this company. I WANT MY MONEY AND I WANT IT NOW!!!! My brother is a lawyer and I will be discussing my options.

Totally useless customer support. The stall tactics and feigned mistakes and lack of communication are all part of their well rehearsed game.The CEOs and managers go to school to learn that stuff. They say "It's just business". Well be clear their business is to keep your money as long as possible until you just give up trying to get it. It's legalized robbery. Of course they should earn fees for investing your money but they do not seem to care that you have a contract, They do not honor it. They have not paid a dime to my mother-in-law who is 93 and in an expensive Alzheimer's facility since her husband's death over 2 years ago despite calls, emails, forms notaries, powers of attorney and 2 sets of lawyers (all using up the gains accrued by investing with Voya). Also our pain and suffering emotionally knowing that my father-in-law is turning over in his grave knowing what he worked so hard to provide for his wife's care has been stolen.

Shame on you. Very unethical practices. If you work for Voya you should quit so maybe you can sleep at night because you will have a clear conscience. If you are a client, file a complaint with your state insurance commissioner or join a class action lawsuit if you know of any. My fellow teachers beware. You may never see your retirement savings either. I have pleaded with California State Teacher's Retirement system to STOP endorsing and promoting them for annuities.

I applied for a hardship loan (401k Voya) on April 6, 2017 and still have not received my money. I have been given the runaround for almost three weeks. I just called and was told that I would have my money by Friday because it takes 2-3 business days after it is approved. Friday will be too late, I needed the Money by April 20, 2017. Their customer service and managers suck. I can't believe that companies invest our money in a company that provides bad customer service.

I spoke to a customer service representative about withdrawing a loan from my 403B. I told him it was a hardship loan yet he told me he would mail the forms for me to fill out. After 4 days of waiting for the forms I called back and they told me it could take up to 7 days. I asked them if they had a quicker process and then they decided to finally tell me I could go to the website, print the forms and fax them. I did that a week ago and the next day they withdrew the funds from my 403B account but still haven't deposited it in my bank account. I called them and they said it takes 7 days to process the withdraw. I have never had to wait so long for a loan from my 403B and I have invested with several other companies. They also have horrible customer service.

When I tried to get my mother's 401k out after she passed away they sent me a bunch of forms that had to be notarized. So I took my 90 year old father to the notary to get it all done and sent it all in. Eventually they sent me back a note that it was not done properly. It had to have a Silver Seal notary or some such. So I had to find one and take my father to the bank to get it notarized again. There was no possible reason to send the wrong paperwork in the first place other than to give us the run around. Very poor customer service.

Voya representatives act snotty and lack sympathy and common sense. They don't care for their clients. My client performed a trustee to trustee transfer of retirement money (leaving Voya). Voya even sent a check made out to "XYZ Trust FBO Client Name" and then issues a 1099-R. Obviously this is trustee to trustee transfer, and an erroneous 1099-R. It's an easy fix but they won't do it.

Voya is the company for which I have my 401k account through my employer. I had a situation come up where I needed to pay off a loan I had taken out previously so I could take out another one. Called Voya for the address where I could mail a check & pay off the balance, I was given ONE address & proceeded to overnight a check to the address given. I followed up with Voya calling multiple times throughout the week & was told to give it a few more days. I proceeded to call again on Monday & was then told I had mailed the check to the wrong address & there was a special address to overnight checks. I knew nothing of this separate address because I was only given the one. There was a claim opened to try & find the check that was delivered Tuesday, March 21 at 2:20 pm.

I proceeded to continue to call Voya multiple times every day this week, March 27, 28, & 29 being told that they are looking for the check & I will hear from someone when it's found. I've talked to multiple Supervisors who have told me I will receive a call back from them & I have heard nothing. This is an emergency situation that I need the loan for & the fact that Voya can't find the cashiers check from a bank that was delivered to them 8 days ago is troubling. Even more troubling to me is the fact that there seems to be no communication going on about the matter between departments & then giving me any information as to what is going on. The last time I called I was told they are open until 9 pm & I should hear something by then. I will continue to call & hope the 2500.00 check is found. Something really needs to be done about the lack of communication & customer service in this matter.

Not only did it takes weeks after weeks as they kept changing my address now I haven't received my tax information for filing my taxes for 2016 and they say they don't know if they sent the required info but want me change my address again. This is the worst company I have ever dealt with and urge you to NOT invest in it. I finally got my disbursement because a postal worker went PO Box to PO Box and found the wrong number had been put on it. Incredible. California teachers don't invest your 403Bs in this company.

Voya mailed me a notice that "I authorized them to change my address....". I absolutely did not give Voya permission to change my address. And, they changed my address to my former address of 11 years ago. When I was at my former address, I survived the nightmares of having my identity stolen. The notice from Voya struck all the wrong nerves. The Voya customer service blamed their vendor for making the unauthorized change. He explained that the vendor did that whenever there is "returned mail". He offered to change my address back. But when I asked him what happens when USPS fails again to deliver a Voya mail to me. He said, "Call me back and I will change it again". I called my broker/agent, who told me to "take a deep breath", and asked that I do not send her the Voya notices.

After I reflected my gross disappointment over her lack of interest to address this issue, she eventually offered the name and contact of a senior VP. I called the senior VP, who had no idea that the "auto change of address" procedure was in place. He did not assure me that these unauthorized changes will not happen again. I gave up all hopes that Voya cares. One more thing. I noticed that my account grew at 1.2% compound for the past 6 years, and over 40% of my investments are in equity. My broker/agent basically did not have an explanation. She tried to put the blame on Voya taking over ING. She later sent me the Callan Table, where I calculated what my account should have gained over the past 6 years. I wrote to her asking why my account seems to be short by over $150,000. I have not received an answer. I am switching to a different institute.

This company claims to be highly ethical but my experience certainly does not support any of their claims. Instead they are ARROGANT, ARROGANT, ARROGANT. I withdrew money from a 401 (k) Plan administered by Voya. They withheld taxes at double the rate that is required. I, nicely, pointed out their error and asked them to fix the problem and send me the rest of my money. Their answer - error could not be corrected.

After doing some research I sent them an article from the Cornell Law School which pointed out that errors like this could be corrected and detailed how to go about doing so. After less than 24 hours (in other words not nearly enough time to review what I had sent them) received another answer - basically saying tough, no matter what others said they were not going to do anything to resolve the problem. Now isn't that a great example of ethical customer service!!!

This company commits fraud every month. Today, 2/28/17 they are asking me to pay my January-April 2017 premiums. I paid my January premium 10-days late because I did not know that the due date was January 10. They returned that check. So I paid January and February premiums as soon as I received that return check on 2/12/17. Today, 2/28/17, that check has been returned by VOYA and they will only accept payment through April 30, 2017. Why would I need to pay my April premiums on February 28? This company commits fraud every month with me. What about other customers who are not able to push back? I'm reporting them to the State of AZ Attorney General's office and the Consumer Financial Protection Board today. Do not buy insurance from these people unless you want to have fraud perpetrated against you every month.

My wife received a notice from Voya saying she needed to request a minimum distribution from her KS Board of Regents 403B plan. I helped her with the required paperwork and mailed it 1-6-2017. Since there was no response I called Voya and was told she had to request the withdrawal online. I was transferred to "planwithease.com" and held for 40 minutes. Finally a lady named Kat come on the line and told me she could only speak with my wife. We were both on the speaker phone but Kat would not let me speak.

She was extremely rude to my wife and hung up on us. We then tried to log onto their website but received error messages six times. After numerous phone calls to a representative where my wife used to work, we were told that office referred to "planwithease" as "plan with PAIN!" We still have not been able to get the withdrawal request processed. We have spent seven hours on this matter to no avail! The Securities Exchange Commission needs to investigate Voya or better shut them down!

I closed my account on the 6th and paid a few to have my check sent expedite and by UPS. Well after a week got nothing. I called to get a tracking number and they explained it got sent accidentally regular mail and they would refund the 50 dollar fee. Well now 2 weeks no check and I called every day for a week straight and spent over 2 hours each day on the phone with different supervisors giving me conflicting stories and excuses and to have a racial comment made was the icing on the cake. I got almost 3k stolen from me from this company that is lost somewhere in regular mail by these people and I want to take legal action and go public about the racial comment made.

Please any help on who to contact next and what steps to take would be greatly appreciated. I'm shocked that Starwood Hotels would allow people 401 and retirement to be handled by people and a company like this. I contacted the BBB already and going to contact the local news station and email the new Marriott people involved since they merge with Starwood. I can't believe after all we done and having a President of color that people are still racist and treat people of color the way they do and to steal someone money and not having a tracking number or any clue of where my money is. Not acceptable. I never will do 401 with any company or recommend it to anyone.

I mistakenly on-line signed up for a one-time repayment on a personal loan from my 401k, immediately I contacted the service via email and attempt by phone. I followed this up with 2 more phone calls explaining the error and requesting to make a 3 year auto pay installment on my loan, I was assured this could be taken care of. Alas! VOYA attempts to withdraw the entire loan from my bank account, I respond saying "hey! Wait, I was under the understanding this was reallocated!" I was told that I had to repay the loan in FULL otherwise be taxed for taxable income! I repaid in full and received a 1099R for a MUCH MUCH like 12 x's the amount of the loan as taxable income! Which is insane as I repaid the loan in full in less than 30 days that I was told it had to be!!! I have NO STARS for VOYA as their customer service was robotic and difficult! BOOO VOYA is the WORST!

I have a sizable 6 month TD with ING. It was automatically rolled over a week or so ago but the interest rate they are paying fell by 70 basis points. The RBA only reduced rates by 25 basis points so I called up and asked why the big drop. ING gave me no answer other than to say "it is what is." I said I can get more elsewhere - again the answer was "it is as it is." OK I said I will take by money out. I was then told I had to give 31 days notice and that for the entire time of the term deposit I would now only receive 0.045% interest. That is $4.50 per year interest for every $1,000 invested. I decided the bite the bullet and close all my ING accounts down. They got me this time but they will not be ripping me off again!

I have recently decided to refinance with St George Bank, moving from ING. My husband and I approached St George in August and filled in necessary documentation to proceed. This past week I have spoken with St George to follow up and they advised me they have been in contact with ING on a weekly basis to have this application settled, but ING have sat on it and are doing nothing. Yesterday I spoke with ING who informed me they received the paperwork on the 8th of September but have failed to do their job. After speaking with a number of people I was told to wait and it will be done soon.

I have spoken with them again today and they still have not acted. It is obvious they are just hanging on as long as possible to receive their Interest payments monthly and that is disgusting. I have found their Staff to be rude and unhelpful considering they are taking a wage from my money and yet are unwilling to sort out this situation and let us move on. I can't understand how as Customers we are held to ransom by ING, when they have had our paperwork for 5 weeks now. I want this sorted out now and I will never be a returning Customer. This is not our first run in with ING but it will definitely be our last.

We have 2 business loans accounts with them ING. Since their so called "upgrade" to their website it has nothing but trouble. Our accounts can no longer be view on online, several phone calls and emails has been made and sent to but nothing has been resolve. Fancy enough their website works effectively on direct-debiting but nothing else.

No physical branch therefore there is no "real person" you can go to for assistance... If you are looking for Customer Service with ING, don't bother cause there is none. The words "Customer Service" are not part of their vocabulary at ING. Whatever advertised on their website regarding customer care "We're here to help 24/7", is nothing but a lie and a joke. "A 5 STAR TERRIBLE SERVICE AWARD FOR ONLINE BANKING OF 2016 GOES TO ING AND THE COMING YEAR". Applaud to all ING staff, well done keep up with the bad service!!!

My late husband opened a tax deferred TSA with ING. He passed away in 1998, and the account was left to my two minor aged sons. We have been struggling with the VOYA customer service. They told us that the account was "closed in 2013". That money was taken from my late husband's paycheck--it is my children's, not VOYA. This fight is not over. My sons need that money to pay for college. I am a teacher and a union member. VOYA often sends representatives to our schools. You can bet your life that I have alerted the Union and the Wisconsin Education Association Council to NOT endorse this company. They are thieves.

I have been trying to do a roll over for nearly 3 months. They keep making me jump through hoops; every time I try to call I wait on hold for at least 5 minutes. But the most infuriating trouble is trying to obtain the account number, they know that is what keeps a roll over from happening. Like millions of people, I will change jobs and employers use different providers, a roll over is very common. I have never experienced anything like this. I will never use Voya/ING or affiliates ever again.

My In-Laws purchased a contract from ING that has now become Voya. Do not even think of calling Customer Service unless you enjoy speaking to a phone clerk with limited English language ability. You will NOT get ANY straight answers, period. The annuity contract and the statements are nothing more than smoke and mirrors. They say that you cannot track the performance of the funds you have invested in and there is no association in mutual funds available off the Street. Such a dazzling bit of magic will allow Voya to REDUCE your investment by secret FEES and CHARGES. AGAIN with no possible way to track what is happening to your Money, ALL without explanation. I lodged a complaint and a week later Suzy ** claims they need 2 more weeks because an actuary is required to investigate... MORE SMOKE AND MIRRORS. Bottom line... Do not BUY anything from Voya. Leave your money in a cookie jar, you can STEAL from yourself.

Me and my partner went to open a joint account. It has been a 2-week process. We keep being told different information each time we call up, after a minimum 15-minute wait time. I have been with ING for 2 years now and even have my super with them. I can no longer see the point and will most likely change banks and super accounts in the near future.

I've had an ING Direct account and mortgage for nearly 10 years, and am one of those that should have benefited from the Rate Renewal Class Acton suit. Since I never received a check, I inquired. The staff was utterly incompetent, repeating again and again that the remaining funds were given to charity. Again and again I said that I knew that, but wanted to know where my check was. After literally an hour of babbling, the agent "escalated" the call. At that point I was given a defunct website and telephone number. I should say I was "blown off," because I told the agent at the beginning that the website and telephone numbers no longer worked. This is one of many frustrating experiences I've had with the company's support staff. And please note that they lost a class action suit due to their fraudulent refi claims. The rates are sometimes good; the service is terrible.

My wife lost her job and is 59 1/2 and was told that she could make a lump sum withdraw from her 403 account but we were only sent 20% and we were told that we could only take out 20% over a 5-year period. We may lose our home due to this company. I would not ever trust this company as we were lied to the whole time. Seems they want to benefit from keeping her money and really do not care about their customers.

About eight years ago I opened an account with ING Direct. Now it seems that the company has moved overseas and I am no longer able to access my account. I can't call the number because it is an international number and my phone will not call overseas. It is not a lot of money, however, it is still money that belongs to me. This is frustrating at best! How do I contact this company to access my online account. I do not remember my username and password. Their website has ridiculous hoops to go through in order to get in and I am unable to jump through all of them without speaking to someone.

Voya Financial Company Profile