1.12/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Voya Financial

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Voya Financial Reviews

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

I have been trying to access my 401K account through the Voya online website and I kept getting an error message. I called November 4, 2019 and spoke to a rep named Keith who said my date of birth did not match what they had in their system. He told me to fax over my driver's license and it would take up to 2 business days to update in their system. I called Voya November 6 to make sure they received my fax, which I have the fax confirmation in case they said no, and the rep said they received it and it was STILL in process. All I need is my retirement statement. So I called November 8 and asked to speak to a manager. Rondrell whom answered stated she was a manager. Rondrell tells me she sees notes in their computer of my date of birth issue. Then Rondrell tells me she will send me a PIN by overnighter with UPS and someone had to sign for this delivery on November 12, 2019, 8am to 5pm.

I called today November 12, 2019 about 9 am and spoke with Stephanie who tells me she can see a letter was sent from their office. When I asked for the routing number Stephanie doesn’t see one in the computer so I ask to be transferred to Rondrell and of course she is not available. Stephanie takes my phone number and states Rondrell will get my message and call me back.

It’s 11:58, no call back so I call back and speak to Michelle who NOW after 4 reps tells me that accessing/registering for the first time with Voya a PIN has to be entered along with our social security number. UNBELIEVABLE, JUST UNBELIEVABLE!!!! And again the rep asks for my phone number to forward the message to Rondrell who still has YET to call me and it is still November 12, 2019, 5:45 pm. And I tell the rep if you so call have my information why are you asking for my phone number AGAIN??? Why wasn’t I told this since my first conversation!! Now I’ve got this ugly feeling of FRAUD. I truly feel OUR money is in the WRONG hands. I think I have to get legal advice on this. And I will be contacting HR first thing tomorrow morning. I work for the City of Milwaukee and I hope to open up some eyes & ears and they cancel this group out!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

Seasoned investor stay away from this firm. Not only will you not make market returns you will also pay the highest fees I have ever seen. Inherited an IRA and was shocked with the dismal returns for the past 10 years in a bull market. I used their trading desk to execute a stock trade to place holdings in cash. Their fee was $45 dollars for one trade. Then on top of that when you you transfer your money they charge you another $35 for the pleasure of returning your money to you. And just a side note when these investments were bought there was a 4% upfront fee just to buy less than stellar investments. In this 200k account that's $8000 dollars gone in then a day. Good Luck if you decide to do business with this firm. You're going to need it.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2019

Unfortunately, my employer involuntarily enrolls its employees in retirement plans with Voya. On/about October 18, 2019, I called Voya to request a loan from my retirement plan. The representative told me they needed to send me a pin because they cannot process transactions over the phone and/or send me the paperwork needed to request said transaction. He told me I could also log in online without the pin (just use my DOB and SSN). However, the website would not allow me to use my DOB and/or SSN. So, I had to call back and speak with a supervisor, who, told me Voya did not have an exception to policy and/or faster process for hardship situations, but that he would put a rush on my request for a pin.

After I got the pin, I still could not create a request online for the loan. I had to print out documents and either fax or e-mail them in. Next, even though they told me I could obtain the funds within two business days of them receiving my request, when I added my checking account to my profile, they said I had to wait seven ("7'') days for them to approve of my banking information - which brings me to October 30, 2019. On October 30, 2019, when I saw no funds in my account, I called Voya and customer service began reprimanding me because I did not write in a phone number and/or my SSN on the paperwork - which was an oversight on my part because since the form was pre-filled/populated, I thought all I had to do is sign/date it.

So, customer service claims that although I the form has my address and online I requested electronic communications (to my e-mail of **), that because I didn't list my telephone number on the request for a loan, that they had no requirement to reach out to me. Mind you, when Voya received my faxed request for the loan, I received an automated message saying they would reach out to me upon REVIEW OR PROCESSING. Therefore, again, they had my e-mail and mailing address to reach out to me if my documents were incomplete - yet refused to do so.

Lastly, the customer service representative was pushing back to NOT transfer me to a supervisor because he said the supervisor could not do a thing for me because my paperwork was missing the SSN and telephone number, but after I insisted to speak to a supervisor and requested that the supervisor rectify the situation, the supervisor went ahead and took my tel. and SSN and put in some transaction for the request to go through (which I'm still waiting to see if I get the funds). However, the supervisor, required me to swear that I am a U.S. Citizen and that under penalty of perjury that this "is" my SSN, when on the loan paperwork doesn't make such a requirement.

In sum, the Voya website does not work as promised; Voya does not tell you the entire procedure involved in making the loan; has the audacity to charge you $100 to inefficiently process your request; refuses to contact you regarding the status on your application (i.e. if you are missing something); and, creates multiple and unnecessary hurdles to prolong/delay your ability to obtain the funds you are entitled to.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

One word "pathetic". Do not do business with these people. As many others have stated, as soon as you need to make any kind of withdrawal, they immediately come up with every excuse possible to not give you your money. I have an account there for 9 years. I had a financial emergency and Completed all the crazy paperwork which is ridiculous, but I faxed it in, and just like that everything ground to a halt. You need a signature here, you need a date there, etc. Went on and on. When talking to customer service they obviously didn't care. I petitioned the money on 8/22. It's 4 weeks later and they still don't have a date as to when I can expect the check. It's my money! Why do I have to jump through hoops for my money?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

I requested a termination withdrawal in June, and was told I couldn't get it until August. I requested again in August and was told the request was required prior to July 31. Now it's October and I log in to make a request and cannot access my account online because I changed my cell number and it wants to "verify" me using ONLY sms text. I cannot even request email verification. I cannot change anything over the phone because I need my verification PIN which is found in My Profile - in an account I cannot access, which I can't make changes to without a PIN, which is in my Profile, etc. Horrible financial institution.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Voya Financial?

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

I requested a hardship withdrawal from my 401K because I had no other place to get the money to handle my hardship. I sent them the medical bills requested and had to send updated ones and this took two weeks to process my request. I had to jump through so many hoops. After I satisfied the documentation request a "third party consultant" had to approve it, then my employer had to approve it. After all that, they did not even expedite it by FedEx as I requested. I waited three days and when I called to check on it was told that I had to wait until 8 days because, even though I paid $50 to have it sent by FedEx, they did not do it. Beyond frustrated. I'm thinking I could put that money in a regular savings account and a Roth IRA and do better. It's my own money. I should be able to borrow (which I can't) or withdraw it. They're going to charge a penalty anyway.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

Called and texted about a transaction, got different answers. Called the following day and got another different answer. This went on for 5 business days. Finally today 9-27-19 I was told it would to next Friday to complete my transaction. Basically over 2 1/2 weeks from my first interaction. I'm beyond frustrated.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

My husband and I tried cashing out his 401k and every time we called and talked to a rep that asked for his social then hung up. Before that they told him nothing was in it so they transferred him to the appropriate dept. After giving us the runaround and hanging up on us every time we called, not once did we ever actually get to talk to anyone. ** scammers. ** you VOYA. Karma is a ** and that ** is real, you don't treat hard working ** like this. That's why your company will never truly succeed or grow because all you do is ** people. That's exactly why y'all are outside of Texas because we don't put up that ** down south. XOXO

Original review: Sept. 2, 2019

Beyond the excessive fees charged for simple requests, the customer service and website interface was very poor in my opinion. Customer service representatives were rude and argumentative over the phone, emails were not answered, and something simple such as a change of address could not be completed via the online platform. I do not recommend opening an account with this business.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

I have been waiting on my distribution for 5 months now and every week I call there is a different excuse of why they haven't sent me my money that I put in from my paychecks. The latest excuse was because they're doing an audit and it can take a few weeks. This was 3 months ago and still no money or call about what is going on. It's to the point now that I had to hire a lawyer and get proof of this audit because it seems I'm not the only one who is having this problem. They are known for using an audit as an excuse and holding off as long as possible to give your money.

Voya Financial Company Information