3.3/5 (286 ratings)

About Voya Financial

Voya Financial Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Voya Financial?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Voya Financial?

Original review: June 9, 2022

I have been trying to get access to my retirement account, and the company is not able to help me. I called five times, and every time I get different instructions, and get passed down from one person to another, and nobody is able to help me. The only thing they tell me is "we cannot get access to your account," and then pass me down to another department. This has been going on for two months. The company has my name, my social security number, and my former employer information - yet, they cannot get me an access to my account. I am at a loss of what to do.

Original review: May 17, 2022

I recently took a loan against my 401K for a home purchase. Was told by Voya that a check would be mailed. Did not receive. Phoned Voya. Was told I have to sign a document (had not be told this before). Where is document? Must be signed and faxed. Finally locate document and send back via efax. Voya cancels application because I took too long (only 2 days had passed and the documentation said I'd have 30 days to complete paperwork). New application started. Was told a check was sent via UPS for an extra fee of $50. No tracking number available. No check arrived via UPS.

Phoned Voya. Was told actually check was sent ACH. My bank showed no record of this. Phoned Voya. Was told there was a "problem" with the bank. Phoned bank. No problems to report. Phoned Voya. Was told the ACH was denied and money would go to a third-party who would then mail a check. Which third party? Voya didn't know. No way to track where the money was. Phoned bank. They show no record of an ACH and no record of having denied an ACH to my account from Voya. Phoned Voya. No, money is with a secret third-party and a check will be mailed out. What secret third party? They could not say.

Phoned Voya. Actually, the secret third party is State Street Financial in Boston. Phoned State Street Financial. They have no information about Voya transactions and if they had sent a check, Voya would know of it. Phoned Voya. No, they wouldn't know of it. Phoned Voya (many more times). Asked to speak with a supervisor. No can do, but one will phone you asap (that was 10 days ago). Phoned Voya. Was told the issue would be "escalated" and given "high priority" and I would receive a call-back in 24-48 hours. No call back. Ever. Finally a check arrives yesterday, dated 2 weeks prior to my first call to Voya to inquire about the check status.

Summary: Worst customer service experience. Ever. I would sooner try to communicate with fish than talk with Voya customer service again. Complete disregard for customers. Complete inability to provide even the most basic information. Avoid at all costs.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 4, 2022

So, our central air went out. In NC, in spring time. The HVAC guy told us it would be $4500 out the door for a new system. No problem. I called Voya, and got the information to pay off a small balance on a previous loan, so I could get another loan for the $4500. I have been with the same company for almost 25 years, and have quite a bit in my 401k. It is my preference to use it from time to time as needed for emergencies to keep from draining our savings. I sent the check to pay off the balance of the old loan. I got a cashiers check ($8 fee) and sent it via overnight mail ($26) through the post office. The check arrived the next day and the payoff was reflected on my account the next business day. Things started to go downhill from there. I went online to get the new loan, and was met by a message that said I wasn’t eligible for a new loan for 8 days. Seriously? Why is there a waiting period to get your own money?

So we were stuck in a hot house for a week with no air. The HVAC guy let me know that the price would most likely go up. After the 8 days had passed, the loan was able to be processed. I paid an extra $50 to have it expedited, hoping it would come before the price of the unit doubled and we died of heat stroke. This was on a Thursday. Monday came and went. No check. Tuesday came. No check.

Finally, on Wednesday afternoon I got a UPS notification saying the label had been created for delivery the next day. They cut a check a check and sat on it for 5 days before it ever got mailed!! And that was “expedited.” So now, after a two week fiasco, trying to get my own money, we are finally getting a new AC unit, for $1000 more than the original quote. Never in my life, have I ever dealt with a more inept company. I have taken out several loans over the years, and I never remember it being this much of a headache. I’m certain there are better companies out there. Beware!!

Original review: April 29, 2022

I was told that I was getting $717 for my hardship loan after all the taxes and fees but instead got only $581. They lied and mislead me to what I would actually be getting. SMH. Worse customer service people ever.

Original review: April 21, 2022

I am required to use VOYA due to a partnership with my employer. They have disappointed me every single time I have interacted with their website or customer service staff. Anything you want to do with your money will be made more difficult through working with them.

Original review: March 19, 2022

I purchased a $10,000 lump sum VOYA Critical Illness Insurance through my employer. I suffered a heart attack in September 2021 and submitted a claim a month later. Heart attack is clearly one of their eligible conditions to receive the benefit payout. After submitting all my paperwork, they asked for a specific form from the hospital, a UB-04 which I obtained and submitted. VOYA then paid out $700, not the $10,000 lump sum they clearly owe me. I've paid nearly $700 a year for this policy since 2018.

Original review: March 19, 2022

Deceitful conflicting correspondence. Delay after delay. Mismanaged. Out and lie to you. I cannot believe UPS is even associated with company. They can't correctly process a simple hardship withdrawal correctly. How are they handling our retirement. All of the UPS folks that have had problems should start contacting UPS Corp Compliance and Ethics and make complaints.

Original review: March 17, 2022

Trying to get 401k disbursement from Voya as plan was terminated. Filled out paperwork and sent it in in Dec. 2021. Here it is March 17 2022 and still waiting. I have talked with numerous people including supervisor and get the same answer - call back in 10 business days if check doesn't arrive. Same run around. Then they claimed I needed a pin # that I never had. I was told that pin would be overnighted to me by UPS. Nine days later I am still waiting. Then I was told again that check has been issued and mailed. My bank has still not received it. My opinion is these people are very dishonest and are trained to lie to their customers just to get them off the phone. Will definitely not deal with these people again. Not sure where to turn for help.

Original review: March 14, 2022

I made a claim w/ the Security Exchange Commission after 3 months of the run around. They wouldn't close or quit charging me. Finally got it closed after 2 months of calls. I didn't need a specific pin to set up the account online and give them my money. However when time came to cash it out they claim I needed a different pin that I never set up when I enrolled?!?!

So they claim they sent it to me 4 times. I waited for 2 months. Nothing. They won't talk to me without it. Finally they agree to accept a notarized letter to send it to my email, which I sent with tracking. In the meantime I get a pin in the mail on 3.10 dated 3.3. I call in with it and guess what, it's expired?!?! They claim they did not receive my notarized letter, yet USPS tracking shows it was delivered and accepted on 3.10. So they're still denying me access to my funds for no reason. They need to be audited and shut down. Fraud...run run run!!

Original review: March 9, 2022

Mid year of 2020 I set up a 401K plan for our medical practice. I entrusted a local Financial Advisor to guide us through the process. My preference was fidelity or Trans America. Our advisor persuaded us to go with Voya. Big mistake! The customer service is almost non existent. I have had Fidelity and Merrill Lynch and could always get support right away. In January of 2022 I decided to change my personal election from moderate risk to conservative risk. I went to the website and changed the election. In reviewing my account in early February I saw I had lost significant money and that I was still in the Voya managed funds. I emailed and called. Days later I got a callback. The person I talked to said she could see where I made the change but could not figure out why it did not change in the system. I went into my account again and changed the election.

As of March 7, 2022 my account was still in the managed funds and the YTD loss was 15%. If that rate sustains for 2022 it will annualize at a 60% loss. Additionally my contributions are quite lower than my employer records indicate. I had our employer records audited and they are correct. No one at Voya has contacted me to correct this additional problem.

Huge disappointment. We entrust professionals who have a fiduciary responsibility only to find my hard earned money not only not gaining but losing principal. The biggest frustration is no one at Voya attempting to remedy the problem. I do not hold them responsible for the market but I do hold them responsible for a technology platform not working and no support to correct the problem and stop the bleeding.

I emailed and got an email response that they would be in touch with me within two business days (which is too Long) but they have not even gotten with me in that time frame. It is now day four and my financial losses are increasing each day because Voya will not follow through on customer service and correct the problem.

Voya Financial Company Information