1.02/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

119 Voya Financial Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Changing Mother's account to a new address - fourth try: Started request May 4 of 2018. Name on account doesn't match legal name. Won't accept Driver License, Passport or SS Card. Wants Birth Certificate for 92 year old? Sends blank forms and if not correctly filled out, is rejected and sent by snail mail. When calling takes 20 minutes each time called to find the right person. Rejects POA with legal name and then wants POA to match the name on the account, legal name does not count. Certainly loves to give customers the runaround and not provide assistance. Don't use VOYA in financial matters.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

Great day in the market and close to retiring, so I wanted to move another 20% of my money into fixed principal. With 10 minutes to go, logged in, but every time I tried to reallocate, I'd get a "Sorry call 800..." or "Session Timeout" to protect me (5 seconds after logging in doesn't require a timeout). Amazing that as soon as the market closed, I could reallocate. Great... So tomorrow, if the market drops 500 points and I forget to cancel or get pulled away from my desk or get timed out by the website and not able to stop it. Voya has high fees, low fixed principal interest and poor fund choices. I can't wait to retire and get as far away from this dog as possible.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I purchased Voya accident insurance through my employer. I broke my femur while on vacation. I filed a claim and submitted all necessary paperwork and they said it would take 10 business days to review. After 10 business days, I called to check the status of my claim only to be told it was still processing. The call center employee said she would escalate and they would respond via email in 24 hours.

After not receiving the email, I called in the next day and was told they were asking for employer verification, which I would have thought would occur as part of the process within the 10 business days. I then confirmed my employer sent verification and called back the next day, only to be told that they were waiting on employer verification. I let them know that verification had been done, and they had no more excuses, only said someone will call me with a status update. After reading the reviews regarding Voya and rejection of claims, I am not sure I will ever get paid. My advice is buy AFLAC instead.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Needed to perform a simple rollover and request a distribution check. I was on hold with Voya for several minutes (not a big deal) but then was told that they have an incredibly small limit on how many characters can fit onto the recipient name on a check. I then had to call my new 401k provider to request an approved alternative super-short recipient name, then call Voya back to request the check under this name. The man I spoke with then said there was a "problem" with his system that wouldn't allow him to look up some essential information to complete this transaction, so I would have to talk to someone else.

I'm like, "Ok no problem, I guess just transfer me to someone else?" And he says, I kid you not, that his phone can't transfer calls right now either, he needs me to hang up and call again. I don't believe this for a second but, whatever, I hang up and call a third time, and guess what? This same guy answers. I tell him my name and he immediately hangs up on me! I call a FOURTH time and finally get someone who is willing to do their job and get my check in the mail. Good riddance Voya.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

My husband and I have filed a complaint with the California Insurance commissioner's office today, October 19, 2018. The c A brief overview of the case is as follows: We purchased a universal life policy from Midwestern United Life Insurance Company in 1988 with a death benefit of $25,000. The policy is now with VOYA Insurance. We have paid the $230 annual premiums every year for 31 years with the last payment being made in Feb, 2018.

We received a notice early this month that if we did not pay an additional $211.01 that the policy would lapse in 10 days. I called them and they indicated that we really owed them $489 and that the annual premiums would increase from $230 per year to over $1750 per year which is over a 664% increase starting in February 2019. In their analysis (attached) they indicate that this estimated increase may be conservative. More likely, the premiums will increase more than those stated. These guys advertise themselves as the most "ethical company in America". If that is true, are all in trouble.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Voya Financial?

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I requested my money be rolled over by phone authorization over 2 months ago. Then they send a form. Then I have to get through 2 password sign ins for the "PlanWithEase.com" to request an authorizations letter. I had to call twice to get in with the password I set a month ago. Go through about 25 clicks to get the letter I have to send back to VOYA to get MY money out! So they made money off my money for over 2 more months after my original request. Beware the "Plan With Ease." It was NOT easy.

y.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I have been fighting with them and their system to roll over my Roth 401k to a different company. But their "check printer does not support a lengthy address". Which the company I'm trying to roll over to has a lengthy address. Any time I call support (if they even stay on the phone with me), they just tell me to use the online functionality or call the company I'm rolling over to and get a shorter address. Their investment elections have cost me thousands of dollars in the past year, as I have been trying to get this rollover. Their site is bloated and hard to navigate. I would never suggest anyone invest with this company. I just pray at some point, they will decide to just hand write a check, so that I have get MY money away from them.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I fell and broke my femur at a bakery where I work one day a week. They called 911 and I was taken to Cleveland clinic as a trauma 1. I had a intermodal titanium rod put through my broken bone to straighten it a huge screw in my hip and two screw three my femur. They denied my claim as for profit.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I called to have my money deposited in my checking account. I gave them the info. Told I had to wait 7 days. Called back then I needed to fill out a form and fax it to have it direct deposit. Did that, called. Closed out acct on Sept 10th. Suppose to be direct deposited in 3-5 days. Wasn't, it was mailed. I didn't want mail. I am out of town and not getting my mail and I need the money now. A bunch of clowns, unprofessional and I am stuck and no one can help.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I've been working with Voya Financial trying to get a 401K distribution which I'm 100% vested for over 16 weeks and somewhere around 20 phone conversations. Their communication and responses are 100% non existent. They state they'll do things to assist in the distribution, but never responded to me in regards to status. The last response from Voya after 16 weeks of trying to get a distribution is that they cannot get a response from the Company's owner and I need to call and place a claim with the Department of Labor. Then Voya states that it'll take approximately 6 months for Department of Labor to rectify claim.

A little history (to be fair) is that I worked for a company that closed its doors and company's owner is required to sign off on 401K distribution. He has not responded to them and they have never returned any communication to me explaining the situation. I've experienced the runaround upon every call and this has dragged the process out increasing my frustration with Voya. Should you have a voice in deciding partnering with Voya Financial in regards to your IRA's or 401Ks, you need to consider my comments because their customer service is 100% non functional.

Voya Financial Company Information