1.01/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

130 Voya Financial Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

I have been dealing with Voya for months now. In October I have sent my request to withdraw my 401k after being laid off. The request was approved. I got my paperwork notarized and sent to my old employer and Voya. After it was approved, I received confirmation that it was being distributed to me. After I haven’t received any distribution for a few days I reach back out Voya and they said that I cancelled my request even though the confirmation email says that I cannot cancel my request and I know I did not. I told them that I did not cancel my request so they asked me to redo all the paperwork. I had to go get the paperwork notarized again and mail it back.

After I didn’t hear anything from Voya I reached out to them and asked about my distribution. They said they never received the mailed paperwork and for me to redo everything. So I redid my paperwork and re-mailed them the paperwork and emailed that paperwork to them. They still said they did not receive it so then I faxed my paperwork to them. After I faxed my paperwork to them and haven’t heard from them they said they never received the faxed paperwork. Since I put a lot of time in re-doing the paperwork, a lot of money in getting it faxed, mailed and notarized I threatened to involve my lawyer. A few minutes after, they changed their mind and said that they actually did receive the paperwork because I have proof that they received the paperwork from my fax.

After that it was approved since I filled out all the required documentation for the 7th time. I recently asked for a date when it will be distributed to me. They replied and said that I never signed the paperwork and asked for me to repeat the process an 8th time. I know I signed the paperwork. I have proof. It has been an inaccurate excuse each time for Voya to avoid them giving me my distribution.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

To many things were not disclosed when we signed up with Voya. First we were promised a 6% annual increased yearly, has not happened yet after 3 years. We were not told there was a surrender value if we decided to pull our money out, which is thousands less than what we invested. Then also the beneficiary value is less than what we invested. Needless to say we were hoodwink by a shady consultant (Mr. **). We are considering contacting a lawyer.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

My son was killed and had a small pension with them. They had a nine page form to fill out. After sending 4 death certificates and 4 court orders to pay his parents as beneficiaries, it finally got done. You think this would be the end, but they continue to send mail to my dead son. I have called twice and ask them please do send mail to him as it is very hurtful to our family and they have lots of documentation to that effect. My complaint was escalated and the answer was they could do nothing about taking his name off whatever they have. According to the courts, all correspondence should go through us, but sure enough, today my dead son received another letter. This company has no social responsibility or compassion for their customers. I feel sorry for other families that deal with this same scenario. Please change the Mission Statement of your company to one of compassion and train your employees to have some empathy with your customers.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

My best friend who used to work for the State of Nevada passed away on January 10th 2018. Right before she died in the hospital she told me that she had listed me as a beneficiary on her State Retirement and with Voya Financial. After she passed away the State sent me paperwork to fill out to receive the benefits that she had left for me. I filled out the paperwork and turned it in. A couple of months later I received a check in the mail. But Voya never contacted me to let me know that she had left me benefits with them. Fortunately she told me right before she passed away because otherwise I wouldn’t even know that she had left me money with them. It has been almost a year now and I still haven’t gotten the money that she left me. I have contacted them several times but every time I speak to them they come up with reasons why they can't pay the benefits to me.

They even told me that they couldn’t email the paperwork to me. They said that they had to mail it to me which takes 7 to 10 days to get it in the mail. When I finally did get the forms in the mail they were Blank generic forms that they could have easily emailed to me. I paid a professional $50 to fill them out for me because I didn’t want to take the chance that they would be filled out wrong. It didn’t matter though! Because it’s been almost a year and they are still giving me the run around. Every time I think that I am finally done and will get the money they come up with more forms or documents that they require. I think that they are intentionally stalling me probably hoping that I will go away or maybe pass away myself so that they don’t have to pay out the benefits and keep the money for themselves. In my opinion they are Scam Artist!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

My husband and I have had a life insurance policy with Voya for over 20 years, and made regular premium payments. Suddenly about a year ago they raised the cost of this policy by hundreds of dollars disguised as a policy "adjustment". Now we are regularly receiving these policy adjustments every other month, with the threat if we don't pay the policy will be canceled. I am willing to abandon this policy, but I want the money back we have put into this policy in good faith.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Voya Financial?

Original review: Dec. 25, 2018

To make a long story short after about a year of getting the runaround and around and around I finally gave up and told them that I was going to just let the law handle it. After doing so they finally sent the monies from my sister's IRA account in equal amounts to me and my other living siblings. My advice to anyone who is listening is that if you have a choice in the matter you will be much better off doing your homework and going with a different financial company.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

If I could have given this company a negative star I would have... I quit my job, requested my 401K the next day. No problem... 2 to 3 business days. 5 days later call they sent it to the wrong bank. Now have to wait again. This is the sorriest company! Criminals need to stop holding everyone's money and put it where it goes. What a horrible way to do business.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I had the same bad experiences with many who had with them. They messed up my address and date of birth, asked me to fax my driver's license and lease agreement to correct them! I did! After back and force calling them a few times, it still has not been done! I would be happy to work with any lawyers who wish to help suing them!!!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I submitted withdraw paperwork in the beginning of October. It is now December and they are blaming the plan sponsor for not submitting paperwork. They also said I have the wrong fax number because they haven’t received my paperwork. After reaching a manager because the customer service agents cannot drill down in a person's file, said, "Oh yeah I see you’ve submitted your paperwork twice. We will look into it and get back to you in 3-5 business days." They promised to call me back that night regardless of what they found and never did. I have been laughed at by employees and managers as my frustration grows. Today I spoke to a manager who said that there is no one above me and that I can leave the request with him and I can receive a call in 2 days.

I have 38 pages of documentation and emails from Voya stating they’ve received my paperwork, they called me a liar and said that the email was from a request for withdraw. I said so it’s a coincidence I received after I sent a fax to you. Their reply yes. I have left another voicemail as did the plan sponsor. So far no calls back. This company is a nightmare to deal with. I have never been treated with such disrespect. I apologized as I was getting loud with the Voya reps but they have to understand my frustration. They are robots who read from a script and offer NO explanation for anything. They just want to rush you off the phone.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

As part of my divorce settlement, I received 20k from my ex's retirement account (he got the house). They never notified me that the change had happened. They make it impossible to log into their site, you have to request that a pin number be mailed to you, but if you have moved, or changed your name, you must mail or fax (number doesn't work) them proof of your address and name change. After that is all done, then you can call and request that they mail you the stupid pin number AGAIN to try to actually access or find out anything whatsoever about the account. They aren't open on the weekend, so plan to do all of this during your workday.

I can't wait until I can move the money out of this horrible horrible institution and into Fidelity where by the way, I could simply upload all of my name and address change documentation online. They are available when I need them and are incredibly helpful. No I don't work for Fidelity, I'm just insanely fed up with trying to deal with Voya. If you have any choice at all, stay away. They will do anything they can to keep you from getting to your money.

Voya Financial Company Information