e*Trade

Compare Online Brokers

Research top Online Brokers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have traded for a few years now with Etrade. I understand there are risks involved in the market. As a beginner I was led to believe that you can invest your money and hope to see some sort of gains. After these few years I have learned how manipulating Etrade's platform is. The sad part is they call you a customer elite when you have met a certain amount of trades but when you lose money or need any assistance you're not so elite anymore. Don't be surprised that it is this brokerage firm involved in taking parts of your funds. Every issue I have ever had has never been properly resolved.

I have given up on this company and will be closing my account due to what's left. They may call their strategy a self direct platform where you are responsible for every trade you make but it's actually nonsense. If you deposit money to a brokerage, trust that it will be safe, pay for every trade you make you would think they will guide or help you during your experience of trading.

Etrade is not that type of brokerage that will help you. They will never send a red flag on purchases that may delist or expire. If they were smart enough to design such a platform then they would have designed a system from making highly risky stocks marginable or stocks that will expire tradeable. I have lost so much respect and time for them. Please save yourself the time and "hard earned" money from ever investing in the market or any brokerage firms such as Etrade. These firms are not around marketing to us for our best interests. It's "your money" that they want!!!

After being with E-Trade over 20 years I had not traded in the last couple of years because of investments targeted by the OOovvvomitt administration coal companies to be frank. I decided to set up a traditional Ira and for some reason which they would not tell me they had decided to end our business relationship as they state it. After wasting countless hours talking and being on hold and BS so called customer service I was told the reasons are in the mail? Unbelievable! They can't even be decent enough to tell you texting or by the phone. And behind the scenes closing all my accounts without even telling me!

Evidently you are only valuable to E-Trade when you are still worth tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars. Where was this attitude when I was shoveling day trading money for decades to E-Trade? They use you like a wet rag and throw you out like yesterday's news without even telling you anything. Not man enough to do it even behind a keyboard. Btw they lied about the reasons being sent in the mail! I still have not received that yet previously promised! Bunch of Greedy ** running the company and pansies too IMHO! Beware! E-Trade is as crooked as they come.

My wife and I are staying in Mexico and we let E*TRADE know that and I asked them how to remove my spouse from our joint account. E*Trade advised us to explain in a letter with both signatures and that it be notarized. We sent it a notarized letter and they canceled the correspondence with the explanation they don't accept Mexican notaries. Based on that info E*TRADE restricted the account where we have no access to our money. My US Bank accepted the Mexican Notary. I tried to speak with their legal, but they won't unless you are an attorney. E*Trade can restrict your money by repeating we are protecting both parties, when no one requested a restriction in the first place. Still unresolved. E*TRADE won't even let us close the account.

I opened my account with E*trade in 2004 due to my workplace had given us stocks. I also used it for everything. In the last three years when there was funds they would bounce a check. Since they are not local I would deposit funds using my cellphone. I deposited a check that I had no idea was a fake check and they locked ALL my accounts up and I could not get any funds. They kept my funds locked up–which I had 2 times the amount that would cover the check in the account–for almost a month! When I called them they would tell me one thing and do another. They were not honest. I finally asked them to close the accounts and they said they already had and mailed me the checks. It took me 3 weeks to get any funds and I had to borrow due to using them and not a local bank. You live and learn but they were the worst financial and brokerage institution ever! I found a local person who is wonderful.

Trying to make trades with their representatives is a nightmare. They often talk so much and for so long that the prices have gone up by the time they finally push that buy button causing loss over and over. I had 2 accounts. One morning I was trying to use one of them and had no access to my own money for over 8 hours while they were updating or some excuse. They do not return calls, have little to no expertise in even simple things like stopping a check protocol. Worst banking and worst trading experience of my life.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about eTrade?

I have used e*Trade for over 20 years. I stopped trading with them ages ago fearful of keeping any large amount of money in their bank after numerous mistakes and false information received. For convenience I still use them for a monthly auto pay and take that out immediately and put it into a bank. I know, mistake after mistake. Once I stopped a check and had to send in a letter to continue the stop payment for 6 months. They kept saying they didn't get it no matter how many times I faxed it. Finally I had to close that particular account just so that vendor wouldn't cash the check.

A year later they told me "oh ha ha ha. We seem to have applied that stop payment to allstate" anyway so I know better than to keep anything over a nickel there and blame myself mostly. Thursday Chase gave me $500 from the ATM, though Etrade took $500 twice. Chase manager spoke on the phone for an hour with an idiot who kept giving false information and today, 5 days later I still do not even have provisional credit. Etrade I advise be reported to the Consumer financial protection bureau and the BBB and any other reviews you can as I feel it is my responsibility to tell others about them. Once I get my money I will finally close the accounts but will never stop leaving reviews when and wherever I can about Etrade and individuals who impeded the return of the money Etrade stole from me.

I opened an e*Trade account in the spring of 2016. The brokerage account opening went fine, but it took over a month to get my IRA rolled over to them. I kept being given misinformation. I would get secure messages saying everything was complete, then get request for more info, etc. Finally I had to have a conference call between the company that had my IRA at the time and e*Trade, so that they could tell e*Trade how to take my money. That should have been enough to scare me away from e*Trade, but I figured maybe it was just incompetence on the IRA rollover side.

Everything with the brokerage account was very smooth until November 2016. Using the mobile app, my preferred trading method, I placed a buy order, it failed with no messages whatsoever. It finally worked on the 3rd try. The price increased and I initiated a sell. It failed with an error message (Connectivity issues). I tried 2 more times, same error message. Meanwhile the price had dropped significantly. I contacted e*Trade informing them that they have just cost me money with their connectivity issue. They actually implied that the issue must have been on my end. Even after informing them that nothing else in my home connected to the internet was having issues, including my work laptop, other apps on my tablet, which is the same device I used for the stock trading, and even the e*Trade real-time streaming (which is what I was watching to know when to buy and sell the stock) was working.

If the real-time streaming within the e*Trade app was working, as were other internet connected apps on my tablet, it is highly unlikely that the "connectivity issues" were on my end. e*Trade will take no responsibility for the problem or loss of funds. They insist that they checked with their technical team, and found no issues. Being a technical person myself (working with AIX, Linux, WebSphere, etc), I find it hard, if not impossible, to believe their technical staff found no issues whatsoever. At the very least they should have found the message (connectivity issues) within a log somewhere on their servers since it was their app that produced the message.

It should have been in an error log, java log, application log, firewall log, proxy server log, splunk, etc. It should have been somewhere since it was produced by their app, but they will take no responsibility. It makes me wonder just how many other individuals have had money taken away by e*Trade due to these anonymous errors that their so-called technical team can't find.

I've had an e*trade account for 10 years. Account was initially established as placeholder or institution of our company stock option plans. I have plenty of free flowing cash that is available cash on hand (not tied to stock investments). For the past 3 years every time I write a check out of this account the check is returned by the merchant, business, dealership, even my other banking institution (BOA) has returned the checks.

I've called several times and over and over I get the same explanation that E*trade has no record of the transaction. I've called customer service to see if there were blocks on my account, reordered checks, called in advance to advise and inform of large $ amount that you have written against the account and the check(s) still come back returned. I am out of options and do not know what to do. Please help. This is ruining my credit, my credit worthiness and is awful embarrassment each and every time this occurs. Please help! This is serious and the checks have ranged from a couple hundred dollars to thousands.

E*trade is absolutely the worst. For the past month my password seemed to be suddenly wiped out in their system. Almost every morning I would have to call to ask for a password reset. They explained nothing is wrong with their system. Then 2 weeks ago I could not log on at all. Very obvious there was a system error because people were complaining on Twitter of the same issue. By the time I logged on 4 hrs later I was out 3,000. Angry and frustrated yet Etrade would do nothing. The week after I had a direct deposit coming in for 10,000k I tried to log on my account and pay bills. Once again log in disabled. Called customer service and they reset the password. The reset did not work. I called back again and to my shock the rep said my account was closed and no explanation was given. They said my direct deposit was returned. I was freaking out because my debit cards were linked with them and I was without any living money.

Now I had checks being that were going to bounce. This stupid company whom I have been with for 10 yrs defrauded me. I called my Company to find out about my paycheck and E*trade lied. They claimed E*trade has a hold in it. I can't believe how this is legal. How can a company shut you down, no warning nothing. Put a hold on your direct deposit and refuse to speak to you other than a letter will be in the mail. I can't access nothing. Not even my own statements and trades transactions I need for tax purposes.

It's been 4 days now and I still do not have my paycheck. This is the worst company. Considering E*trade screwed me over with their futures trading and I lost all my money because E-trade teamed up with MF Global who committed fraud by using customers money for trades. E*Trade provided no protection and all clients were locked out of their accounts. I have had it. Do not USE THIS COMPANY. Why are they closing customer accounts suddenly? It's very strange. I'm also making a complaint to every agency I can. This is just wrong!

I spoke to the customer service whether I can sell short and buy to cover on the same day. (I deposited the fund on the day which made my overall balance more than 25K). He replied yes and absolutely. When I tried to cover it up. It said I cannot do it. When I spoke to the other customer service "He said I cannot do it". I just made the trade only after getting the first customer service rep word. No one helped, one guy said he will listen to the tape and return back the call. None helped. I lost a lot of money on the same day. I don't want to be with them with the rest of my life. Thanks e*Trade for screwing me up!

After reading many comments, I guess I am not alone, they canceled my account and took about $250 dollars from my account. They claimed that there was a monthly fee around $60.00 and they try to contact me but they failed. I was never contacted nor received any email, no phone, no mail. Stay away from this website. They are scammers and thieves.

E-trade cancelled my business account with no warning. Their communication is very poor. Do not trust them with your money or your business. I see from many web reviews that I'm not alone in this fate. Avoid.

They claimed they try to reach us by mail that they be closing the account, however we never ever received the mail. There was a 10K balance which they claimed was issued back to us with a closing letter. Again, we never received any mail. When I asked them why they did not call or email us, they simply replied that emails get hacked. So informing us by email that our account will get closed will help hacker how? "So why not making a phone call?" I asked. They put me on hold and told me, "We understand your frustration," but unable to help me.

I asked them to send me the statement by email and they said they can only do it by mail. E*TRADE seriously? No email, no phone call, and no electronic statement? Hmm. Closing argument: It makes no sense why investment company that holds 10K of individual money with zero activity refuses to keep the money but rather decides to close the account. If that is not a red flag, I don't know what is. Exactly what business are you in E*TRADE?

I have been more than 5 years trading, never made money and lost my hard earnings. They know when a stock will go up and down. They know how to trick you to add more than your capital out of tricky market and company news then forfeit everything without your choice. Finally will start keep calling you to cover your debits. CROOKS!!! Blood suckers. Be careful!

Their customer care representative are not knowledgeable. I made a mistake in transferring my account to another trading firm. There was a hidden cost of 60$. I thought that would move My ESPP account, but ETRADE did not move my ESPP account. So after this incomplete transfer they restricted my account for months until I send rescind form. Now I have sent the rescind form still it has taken more than 3 working days. Customer care do not know says it will take some time, they won't give accurate estimate.

Do not trust E*TRADE to invest your $$ in their "Managed" Portfolio. They take you to cleaners with their 1.25% fee and are as careless as a 2 year old with your investments. You will end up in a very unfortunate situation. They create confusion and lie to keep you. Beware and leave if you're unfortunate enough to trust them. Sigh...

I've been an e*Trade account holder for many years. I had a stock trading account, checking and savings account. The debit cards I have are expiring. I called in to request new debit cards and received a letter that they're closing all my accounts with no explanation. I'm not a day trader, but I have direct deposit and links to other bank accounts going through e*Trade. Now I have to redo a lot of work because of the geniuses on staff. This company obviously does not care about their customers. I would recommend no one ever do business with them. Use a financial institution that values your business... like a credit union.

Found 10k check from 2007 E-Trade. Called E-Trade. They quickly said no records that far back, nothing they can do and that was it. Waited a week and called again. Same response. You have 10k of my money. Could I at least have a conversation about it instead of being just dismissed? I got the feeling that they just do not want to be bothered. Had a situation like this in the 90's with a real estate deal. Found an error. They shorted by a little over 11k. Found an attorney who specializes in this type of thing. C but cost me a third of the money but at least he got the money. Guess I have to find an attorney for this E-Trade situation as well.

These ** take my money and then tell me two weeks in something came up in a report and they can't help me. Yet I just opened and traded with a new Fidelity account... no problems, no hassles... like a real company. Then they decide they won't even send my money back and the person in charge of the department can't be reached via phone. Then these idiots put me on hold for 30 minutes at a time. The worst, most unprofessional, idiotic company I have ever dealt with... As a broker I also worked for them for about two weeks. Now I remember why I quit - Do yourself a favor and STAY AWAY from e*Trade unless you want to be ripped off, lied to and not receive any customer service. #EtradeSucks #worstbrokerage

Worst broker in US imo and also for many others seen here. I had 100,000+ balance in e*Trade securities at one point trusting them blindly. But my old school way of checking bank reconciliation helped me catch those thieves. I managed to see a difference of $999.00 difference in balance after making a transaction. The funny thing was the transaction amount was accurate but calculation was 999 bucks short. I mean 99% people would fail to catch this one. When I complained afterwards, they apologized and refund after 2 working days but what if I don't catch it? It's very hard for me to check everything as it takes a lot of time.

I called them because when I went to open a new checking account my social security number came up with a fraud alert to someone else's name and address. When I called them they sent me to different people and refused to help me get to their fraud department. I asked to talk to someone in charge and the person I was talking to also refused to let me talk to someone else. He pretty much demanded I send my social security card, ID and whatever other personal info to verify I was who I said I was. I already have a fraud alert because of them and they want me to send them more personal info without talking to the proper department and without knowing what actually happened.

Long story short. I mislabeled my acct. I thought to protect to keep my computer acct. safe. When I went to correct my error they refused to accept my excuse. I filed a complaint with FINRA. Surprise surprise they sided with E-TRADE. So this senior citizen is now broke and no retirement possible. Hell even Madoff clients got their money back and you people at E-TRADE don't like the truth. Sue me you cowards. My acct is **.

I contacted e*Trade on 1/21/16 to make a simple request- provide me my statement with my full account number (non-redacted). No statement arrived. Further, I made an additional 15 requests for a statement. I contacted e*Trade via telephone, letters, fax, emails and in-person to request my statement. Other companies/banks have statements (non redacted) available online or at their offices. For example, Chase, Bank of America, etc...

e*Trade provided the most dysfunctional customer service I have ever experienced. As of 2/15/16, I still did not have my statement. Their "secure customer message center" was a complete failure. It never fulfilled any request for the statement, yet, it marked all my requests as "fulfilled" and "closed". I made 15 requests all resulting in "no statement". I followed those requests by contacting e*Trade New York Corporate office. Each time I made a request, it clearly and concisely requested an account statement with an account number to be sent to both my email and home addresses. Finally, corporate sends the statement via mail, however, does not send it by email as requested in all 15 requests. e*Trade, you don't deserve my business. Your customer service was totally dysfunctional and you should be ashamed and embarrassed. My funds will live elsewhere!

I established a partnership account with Harris Direct in the late 1990's. Etrade purchased Harris Direct in 2005. In the course of the transfer, they fouled up the registration of the account and locked me out saying I did not have authorization even though the name of the partnership is "my name" Investments and the address and phone number for the account were my home address and phone number. I managed to gain access to the account online but 10 years later when I went to add checking to the account they again said I was not authorized to access the account. It was suggested that I set up a new account. I went through the hassle of setting up a new account including having family partners living all over the country sign the application.

Next they tell me they can't verify my tax ID for the partnership. They have been sending me 1099's for this same partnership for over 10 years!!! I searched through my records to find the IRS' EIN notification letter from 1999 and sent to Etrade. They came back to me a week or two later and said they couldn't verify my address because the address on my year 1999 EIN notification letter was different than the address on my new application. Again, I am using the same name, address, phone number and federal ID# for the new account as the existing account that Etrade has held for over 10 years. It's been months and the new account is still not open.

A fellow guru trader recommended e-trader - he just signed up as well. Long story short, they took my money and now I have limited access to my account. I spoke to 2 representatives yesterday and today and they keep asking me the same question, re-assuring me my account should be okay EOD, and it still has not. I will not be with this company for too long, I could be working right now with another broker but when you block me from my money, we have a problem. Stay away from e*Trade to save yourself heartache, financial loss and pain. Yes, time is money.

I signed up for e*TRADE and placed a few trades that I planned on selling if they went down 7%. After e*TRADE filled my orders to collect the FEE I was then frozen out of my account. They did not give me any reason and the person over the phone was being very secretive with me on why I was frozen. It wasn't until I called back the 3rd or 4th time that someone told me why I was frozen. It was for a SSN glitch.

So instead of having an easy way to fix it so I could sell my now falling stocks they now require pages among pages of a printed and signed documents to be sent to them. It's now been over 3 days and I have no access to my account so I cannot sell my stocks. This had cost me money. Luckily I only put in a minimal amount of money but if I had 10k or 20k on the line this could ruin someone. Please stay clear of this company. Customer service is painfully slow with no communication between departments. THIS COMPANY IS EVERYTHING THAT IS WRONG WITH CORPORATE AMERICA.

I was a member of an investment club for several years. It disbanded, I bought everyone out and had them sign notarized statements to that effect. I had the primary person on the account contact them to change the password. That was months ago. The account was locked up. They refuse to acknowledge the changes and will not deal with us rationally. When I call, I am asked countless questions even after establishing my identity and have not been allowed to move or trade funds. As soon as I can I will move everything to Scottrade. I am at my wit's end with them and am not sure what to do next. When I ask e*Trade and do what they tell me I always get the runaround.

My husband died in March 2013. A lot of our accounts are in our Living Trust. I had no problem putting all of our other accounts into my name as Trustee, except E*Trade Financial. Now almost 3 years later, I am still trying to get the Trust Account transferred to my name as Trustee. Who do these people think they are? I am the customer but not for much longer. I cannot find my social security card and due to ill health I am unable to get to the Social Security office to get a copy. I have never, ever needed it before. I have sent E*Trade Financial copies of my Medicare card (almost same no, as Social Security, except the A), Passport, and Driver's License. None of this satisfies them. They want a copy of the social security card.

They cancelled my original account for the Living Trust and set up a new account no. but they will not send that new account number to me via snail mail. I had previously asked them to only contact me by snail mail so I have everything in writing, but talking to them is like talking to a brick wall. So we are back to writing on email which is not secure at all. They said if I call in they can give me the new account no. How would they know for sure who I was when they were talking to me. By snail mail it comes to my house for just me. These people are the hardest people I have ever tried to deal with. As soon as I get this mess sorted out I shall look for a stockbroker who I can trust. These people are totally unreasonable and they are holding my account hostage. It is disgusting.

I had an investment valued at 13900. It was a cash account. They went in, took the shares, sold them far below the value, gave me 1390 back without my permission and told me, "I'm sorry, you're having a bad day" but they were within their rights to do. So please help me expose the wrong doings that are being done to hard every day working Americans. Shame on e*Trade.

My parents had a joint account with e*Trade. I have legal POA. My father died. My mother has Alzheimer's. I have to remove my father's name from the joint account so I can put my mother's assets into a trust. 10 weeks later no progress. I sent in a death cert. and POA. I was told that I need to fill out the POA from the e*Trade website as the legal one (registered in the courthouse) was not adequate. So I filled out the POA from the web, took Mom to the notary and sent it in. Still not good enough. They demanded a doctor evaluation stating mom was not able to handle affairs on her own. Then they wanted ANOTHER POA that pre-dated her diagnosis. All this to get my father's name removed from the account. The POA I have is dated 2012. Her diagnosis was 2011. They will not accept any POAs I have so the account remains in limbo.

At this time I have contacted an attorney. I will be selling my e*Trade accounts and those of my 2 sons and will never deal with them again. In addition they screwed up the tax forms for 2014 and I had to re-submit everything to the accountant. They are totally incompetent and used unscrupulous business tactics to deter and even intimidate.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

E*TRADE is an online brokerage firm that offers consumers several financial tools for investing. Their online trading platform offers both a simple, easy-to-use interface as well as a more detailed and complex system for more advanced investors. E*TRADE was founded in 1982 and made its first electronic trade the following year.

• Suggestion wizard: E*TRADE’s homepage features a wizard where potential investors can provide some basic information and then receive recommendations on which type of products and assets might be right for them. They do not need to provide any personally identifiable information to receive the recommendations.
  • Platform: E*TRADE’s platform provides clients with a one-page view of all their investments with options for researching more thoroughly. Investors who are concerned about the speed at which their transactions are processed and the way they are executed can find all the relevant information on the E*TRADE site.
  • Resources and tools: The E*TRADE website has stock market news articles, lists of investment ideas, historical charts to track trends and more. Account holders can also access tools like watch lists and advanced searching to screen stocks for their portfolio.
  • Education: Those who want to learn more about finances, trading, the stock market and other related topics can find educational resources on the E*TRADE site. The Knowledge Center section of the site has information articles and videos designed all types of investors.
  • E*TRADE Pro: Those who have an account with more than $250,000 or who execute more than 30 trades during a quarter can access the company’s Pro platform for free. It offers more advanced tools and data for experienced traders.
  • Best for E*TRADE has tools that make it a best choice for all types of investors.

Compare Online Brokers