2. Finance
  3. Online Brokers

e*Trade

e*Trade
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.07/5

Looking for a Financial Advisor?

SmartAsset can help.

Find my match

Unsubscribe at any time.

Looking for a Financial Advisor?

SmartAsset can help.

Find my match

e*Trade Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about e*Trade?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about eTrade?

Original review: June 24, 2020

Time wasters, unreliable and definitely swindlers. Birman law, wealth recovery or most of these recovery companies can't be of help. You need to either venture into the darknet and get a trusted hacker or reach out to Petru at Hackwithme. tech. You'll be surprised how things are done from that side of the internet. I got 2.9btc back in no time, gave him his share and it was an amazing feeling.

Original review: June 19, 2020

I've been using e*Trade for more than three years now. Generally, until recently, I've been satisfied with the service. Given my experience, one would think a long-time customer with zero problems would be entitled to some sort of courtesy or benefit of the doubt or just plain accommodation. Not with e*Trade. I've transferred funds in from both my business bank account and from a personal bank account without issue. Never were any of my transfers questioned nor were my accounts verified. So picture my surprise when recently I went to transfer funds in from an account I've already used without incident. The e*Trade system said the account had to be verified. Don't know why since e*Trade accepted fund transfers from this account previously, but okay.

So, I go to verify the account, and the only option offered is through cell phone text. The number I have on file (and have for more than three years) is my business landline office number, which does not accept texts. It asks for an alternative mode of verification, and the only option offered is cell phone text. No option for email verification, no option for voice call verification, no option for making small deposits to the account, all methods used by other brokerages I've used -- no option for anything that respects the preferences of a client.

Again, okay, I add my cell phone number, which I've had for three years. And it says the phone isn't in my name (it is) and so won't recognize it. I ask for an alternative mode of verification, and it goes back to my office number. This has happened multiple times and the system remains in this kind of endless loop. This is a totally moronic system and I've previously discontinued using companies that only rely on cell phone text verifications given how inconvenient they are.

I sent an email to e*Trade's so-called customer service since I consider my time as valuable as theirs and don't want to go through the hassle of calling. It took several days to get a response, and basically all the response did was reiterate what I already knew, though it did say my number would be approved in a few days. It's been almost two weeks now, and the number has not been approved. There was a suggestion to use their app to deposit a check, and I don't want to go through the hassle of doing that since I use my cell phone as little as possible, and as a phone, not a camera. They also suggested a wire transfer, which costs money. As for their explanation as to why they accepted a fund transfer from this same account previously with no verification, they said it was done as a "courtesy" (translate, greed, to get money in, but if it was a courtesy they'd approve the same account).

Needless to say, I've had it with trying to deal with this completely inflexible and inaccurate system. I understand e*Trade has been sold, and I hope the new owner will have more respect for their clients. Needless to say, this whole experience has been very frustrating to me.

Original review: June 10, 2020

I wanted to like them, and they do not deserve to be in business. The GOOD: Opening an account is easy (take 3 days with wire), the website is complex but offer a lot of options. The BAD: If you need to contact them be ready to wait a long time more than 2 hours each time, and they care at all. Put your money in another place with decent policy and services. The UGLY: Employees on the phone are overstressed and are understand, it seems like a small family business, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Original review: June 9, 2020

These crooks have locked me out from trading. I can do nothing with my money. And they won't answer the phone either. 5 hours on hold yesterday. 2 hours so far today. These crooks don't deserve 1 star.

Original review: June 9, 2020

I do not know how these people are still in business. I tried to wire money from my account but the link is down. Tried the customer support chat, that is down. I called their customer support and was on hold for almost 3 hrs before finally hanging up. Unfortunately my company's ESPP plan is through them so I have to use them for those transactions (thankfully nothing else). If this is how their customer service operates good luck with them.

Original review: June 4, 2020

Tried to open an account and waited the 3 business days for money to be available. Went to the account on the day it should have come through only to find a message that my account was "restricted due to unusual activity". Never got an explanation of what that was because by the time I got to speak to a person I was pissed off enough to close my account entirely. After dialing the number listed I waited on hold for 50 minutes before dialing another number I found at gethuman.com (kudos to them btw their instructions worked and I got a person).

After speaking to a person, it still took half an hour for him to correct whatever was wrong and get the money transferred back to my regular bank account. At least the rep (I think his name was Dave) was polite and got the task done, but he sounded tired and a little bit resigned, like he had heard this a million times. I felt sorry for the guy because it sounded like he was a genuinely nice guy, overworked handling problems for a company that doesn't care for its customers, which is not a good sign. Only reason this is not a one star review is because of that nice guy.

Original review: May 30, 2020

Horrible. Do not sign up for E trade E*Trade E-Trade. Make you do allll sort of time wasting things. Sells your stock without your permission after the market goes down! Customer service is a nightmare. Worst thing is that once you sign up you are trapped. You cannot cancel!!! So DO NOT SIGN UP with E trade.

Original review: May 21, 2020

I was a customer of E*Trade for 7 years. I bought stock and I did futures trading. The future platform will make you lose money. Lags, is super slow. If you ask for help they will not help you. The waiting time to get someone in the phone is 45 minutes. I will not recommend to anyone. You can find better companies than E*Trade.

Original review: May 7, 2020

I have been a member since the company started. While the platform is user friendly, they impose equity requirements on positions anytime they want for no reason. Many times with no advance notice! A stock Roth 55% equity requirement right before paying a huge dividend and doubling in value in the past month was raised to an equity requirement of 70%. Are you kidding me?

Original review: April 13, 2020

I opened an account with e*Trade and funded it with $2000.00 from a bank transfer. I made one trade, OKE (oneok) for 50 shares at 16.09. A good trade which has since gained about 40%. After that trade my account was locked and a few days closed with no explanation. The message comes up, "Call etrade, your account has been locked." Well, try to call etrade. One number that is never open to a real person, just hold till our next service agent is available. You can hold for hours, days and probably weeks and you will not get an agent. There is no email or any other means to contract them. I'm 72 and this by far is the absolute worst company I've ever dealt with. They actually stole 2000 plus the gain on stock. I guess this is the way they can make no commission trades, just take your money when they want it.

e*Trade Company Information