1.27/5
Based on 99 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

315 Citizens Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 21, 2018

About 2 weeks ago I opened a checking acct. here. They went over all the rules/regs/fees with me and I agreed. The rep asked me if I wanted checks. and I said that I rarely use checks because I just use my debit card. He then asked me if I would like "just a few checks to have on hand". I shrugged and said yah, I guess that would be good. He never said that by saying that I would be charged $9.99 for one book of checks. During the next week I withdrew some cash leaving a balance of about $5.

I knew that my SS check would be going in a couple more weeks. The next day I received a package containing 1 book (30) checks... no check register, no plastic checkbook cover. I assumed these were the few checks he had offered me. Two days later I get a letter in the mail telling me that my acct balance was now minus $90 because I had overdrawn my account by the $9.99 that they took out for the checks that I had ordered! I knew this must be a mistake and I called the 800 number to straighten it out. They refused to admit that it had been a misunderstanding and refused to wipe out the fees. I am SO angry. They misled me and I am livid. I am now making arrangements to stop my direct deposit for the next month and I will open another account at a more reputable bank. Lesson learned.

Original review: June 20, 2018

For the past year my fiance's payroll check has been going through every Friday morning, over the weekends we would pay our bills and do our shopping like normal. Never any issue. Well this past weekend we had a total of $503 after a check was deposited. We spent a total of 425 over 6 different transactions. We did end up over drafting on Monday by $96 including a $35 fee which we had intended to bring current Tuesday. By Tuesday morning I discovered our account was negative $306... They are trying to charge us overdraft for the 6 transactions that were covered by the money that was deposited by his check. This is an outrage!!! I will be looking into filing a lawsuit, and will definitely be switching banks once these charges are fixed!

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 19, 2018

Do not bank with Citizens! I've been a customer with them for over 10 years and today learned they wiped out my account leaving me with $50 to survive on due to being late on my student loan payment. I called in advance to inform them this month's payment would be late (after paying consistently and on time) but they still took the money AND my monthly payments are $150! I called to explain that $50 is not nearly enough for me to survive on for two weeks and they basically said "sorry." As soon as I am paid again I'm withdrawing all my funds and moving to another bank. If I had not taken out cash yesterday for other purposes I would have no way of getting through these next two weeks. Inhumane practices and sub-par customer service, at best. Stay away from them!

Original review: June 16, 2018

I have been banking with Citizens Bank for over 4 years, and have yet experience anything positive with them. My latest disappointment is how they are handling my "account takeover" (fraud) situation. Two weeks prior to the incident taking place, I had to call in and replace my Debit card due to a fraudulent charge to my account even though the card was in my possession. At the time of my call, they only ask (for identity verification purposes) very minimal questions, super basic. Two weeks later, my account was hacked and looks like someone called in pretending to be me, created a whole new account and took out a bunch of cash from several ATMs.

The bank has not been helpful in making me feel safe in any way shape or form. In addition, they are taking their sweet time in putting the money back into my account. It's been over 8 days since I reported the incident and the bank has done nothing to resolve this problem or to ensure me that they will make an effort in protecting everyone's identity. Ironically enough, while I was at the bank talking to a representative another customer walked in saying his account was hacked too. It seems that only Citizens have such poor protection for clients against fraud, I never hear this from Bank of America. Can't wait to switch! DO NOT BANK WITH CITIZENS!!! - You've been warned!

Original review: June 15, 2018

This bank took $700.00 out of my account because of an error with Zelle. I spend over 2 Hours on the phone with them. They DON'T have any explanation about where the money is. They only tell me it take 52 hours to come back into the account. Sam ** is the worst customer service manager! This man was rude and has no business calling himself a manager or supervisor, he should call himself a **! The best part is how when you try to complain online, it will not send it to customer service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens Bank?

Original review: June 11, 2018

I made a claim for the first time since 1999 when I got my account and the claims department was very nasty to me. The lady asked me am I sure someone used card. I told her it was a fraud charge cancel the card send another one. Why would she make that type of statement. I spoke to her manager and she agreed that she shouldn't have said that to me. They act like it's their money they are using for the claims. Why do they care? They have insurance on money for fraud incidents. I called another day to ask about the claim and I got the same lady and she said how did this happen. So I take it she does that to all claims callers. This is sad and I will cancel my card and account. I will not be treated like this and I am the victim.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I was very happy with Citizens Bank for my mortgage until (post divorce) I went to refinance. First, I refinanced back to 30 years to afford the payments (17 years ago). Then, 7 years ago when interest rates went down, I tried to refinance from a 6% mortgage to a 3.5% rate. They turned me down!!! I was good enough, despite my low income, to pay 6%, but not good enough to pay 3.5%. I was furious!!! Three years ago I found another financial institution with a great reputation, and they accommodated me. I paid off Citizens and took my business elsewhere. Overall, I really like Citizens Bank, but turning me down, esp when I had a great source of equity and an excellent credit rating made no sense. Shame on them. I will even pay off my mortgage ahead of schedule.

Original review: June 2, 2018

My car loan was through Citizens Bank. I was always on time with all my payments because it was being automatically taken out from my checking account. I thought my loan was already paid off but it was not. I got a phone call yesterday stating that I have never made my last payment and it reported to the credit bureaus because I was over 90 days late. She stated that the last payment has to be manually sent in which I was never informed before. I even called in before it was paid off to ask how will I be receiving my car title after it’s paid off but that representative never mentioned to me about the last payment has to be sent in.

They never sent me any notice in the mail to inform me before reporting to the credit bureaus. I have never intended not to pay my bills and they had my bank information all along to take the money out for the past four years. This is very unethical of them to ruin my credit for something that I was totally unaware. I will never do business with them ever again. Please be aware of Citizens bank!

Original review: June 2, 2018

Citizens Bank. It's all about the customer. They're available 24/7. They communicated with realtor, title company and me. Never missed a beat. Excellent service.

Original review: May 23, 2018 Customer service is the worst. You're held on the phone for around an hour. Message them online and they take at least a week to reply when they claim "24 hrs".

High fees probably the highest of any bank. Charge overdraft fees for going a penny negative when website states no overdraft fees for transactions under $5.00 but they lie. I called and they told me it doesn't work like that and there's nothing they can do for me. Plus their locations are very limited.

Original review: May 16, 2018

In spite of a lawsuit for overdraft fees in 2012, they are doing it again. Not processing deposits while processing fees. In 45 days, they assessed me more than $800 and processed fees before the deposit to do so.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I overdraft my account 7 dollars. The next day I put the 7 dollars back in. My account was good after that. 2 days later it said negative 69 dollars like where the hell did that come from? Dont make sense. I gotta pay 69 for 7 bucks. SMH. I'm not paying it. They better waive that or close my account.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I received 11 overdraft fees in one month. 7 came in one day while I was on vacation. I never got any notification. I just kept getting charged. I’m going to get a mortgage and I never overdraft in my account. It’s going to be tough to explain this to a loan officer. I been banking with Citizens Bank for 10 years and they only offered to waive 3 of the fees. I think it’s wrong that they keep giving you fees for buying a small coffee. Why should a coffee cost 35 dollars?

Original review: April 30, 2018

Citizens Bank is the worst bank that I have ever dealt with. I made large deposit after speaking with rep. Made large deposit took three attempts to checks right. Attempted to clean up liens on home that were already paid. It's been one week and find out Citizens wrote down incorrect number book/volume. Still waiting for them to fix it, told they have to investigate. I will be withdrawing all funds from this bank. Also they charge family members $8.50 a check when you write them out. Don't use Citizens. You will regret. I gave them several attempts to fix problem and it still is not fixed.

Original review: April 24, 2018

Citizens opened a checking account in my name without my knowledge, the account was attached to a scam artist tax preparer, who opened this account without my knowledge, he used a email address that he created with his own telephone number on account and signed my name on Account! He apparently opened account in a Acme store location! I was just made aware that other Banks are involved in class action suits for being involved in the same behavior of opening accounts without person's knowledge!

I visited a Citizens Bank after perhaps receiving the ATM card by accident on this fraudulent account and was told by branch manager that they would look into this and I never heard back from them. It’s been some time now however I never understood the severity of someone doing this, this account is closed now but how do you know how many other accounts have been opened in your name by scam artists out there while you have no knowledge of this? Banks usually require a driver's license or some form of legal identification to open a account! I have no idea who in this bank committed this fraud and let this man open account without having any of My legal information, driver's license, etc. nor person on account even being present while this account is being opened. I do know it was open by a male not a female!

Original review: April 21, 2018

I was a customer for over 10 years. The advertisements for this bank state "no minimum balance" and "no monthly fees", these statements are untrue. This bank has taken over $120. on 2 separate occasions due to my balance getting close to a .65 balance. Within 24 hours of the balance being so close to $0, I was charged $42, another time last year when this happened I was charged $42. and it doubled because I did not catch it within their 2 week cut off, another $84. I was told it doubles every 2 weeks, so if I had not caught it, it would have been $168? I had 2 checking accts and there was plenty of $ in the other acct., but they do not help you by transfer, to not go to the under $1 and again NO loyalty such as a phone call or email to give a heads up, like in the old days.

There is no loyalty with this bank, they obviously need the money more than us poor folk and they do NOT negotiate so don't waste your time trying. BTW, when you try to stay on the up & up, you are treated very poorly! I hope this helps others when trying to find a bank to do business with, whether you are rich or poor. I closed all of my accounts today, they did not even ask "why" after all these years, they do not care and have very poor business acumen.

Original review: April 17, 2018

The bank automatically enrolls you in Overdraft Protection with a Line of Credit. Even if you have two accounts, they don't link those accounts together so any overdraft is taken from the second account. If you accidentally overdraft an account, you get a Line of Credit "loan" which they then charged you 22% interest rate on monthly. There is no notice that you have overdrafted so these "loan" payments continue until you notice a ding in your credit report. It is not even clear online what is happening and you can't even pay off this "loan" online if you wanted to. This has happened twice to me now. I swore that I cancelled this "feature" the first time it happened to avoid this, but just realized it happened again when my credit rating took another dip. The first time this happened, I called the bank and they told me to write a letter to the manager of the branch where the account was opened. I do this, but received NO REPLY.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I have home equity line of credit with Citizens Bank, they decided to raise my interest rate without the Fed raising the prime interest rate. I called the Bank after being hold forever, I was told Wall Street Journal made recommendation. DO yourself a Favor and Bank somewhere else.

Original review: April 2, 2018

While I made a grave error in judgement your fraud department officials should be fired. I realized my problem from the first time but cancel all accounts (after thirty years) because of single returned check afterward is I believe is really just in necessary and quite frankly a mistreatment of power. I wish I had that individual in front of me because he or she has a real power trip complex. To close the accounts of someone who has over $300k investments with your organization is obviously not important to you or your investors. I did a review of your bank's satisfaction and it is obvious your president and CEO is out of touch with the real world. I don't usually make such posts but felt compelled to do so because of your treatment of me.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I opened an account last year with Citizens Bank in Dudley branch and few months later there was 500 withdrawal out of my account on Feb 2017 - apparently someone walked in and the teller gave them $ 500 out of my checking. I called and explained to them that I only opened my account there. I never walked in ever since and how is that someone is walking in and able to do a withdrawal? They apologize and stated that they investigate the situation and credit my account.

Early March 2018, I received an email indicating that a new card was ship - I was not sure why so didn’t call. I assumed that was their standard - this account is only for saving and transfer rent fee. I have never used it in stores. I did not think anything of it until I received a letter in the mail saying, "Thank you for updating your address or phone number," and if I did not to call, I called and found On March 26 2018, a bank withdrawal at the Dudley in Roxbury location occurred again. $400 was taken out my saving and 300 was taking out my checking saving and 80 was deposit in saving and 20 in checking.

Again the common issues all occurred in the bank where I opened my account - who is doing this I believe in internal. How can some walk in a branch and take money out of someone else account? I strongly believe that is someone who works in the bank. What is the protocol for the Dudley branch in Roxbury? What is the validation of identity? I am extremely disappointed with Citizens Bank of Boston for their lack of verification of identity. Also the person opened a credit card with Citizen under my account. I am extremely schooled. I have been with Bank of America for a very large my time over 20 years and this never happened. I have only been with Citizens Bank less than 2 years and with that time frame 3 incidents occurred.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I have been a customer of Citizens Bank for quite some time and other than their oft-complained about overdraft policies, I have had a relatively good experience and like the staff of my local branch. However, the reason I am writing this review is that all of that has since changed. I originally opened my account following a divorce and should note that I am a single father to a two year old little girl. I was also unemployed at the time, but still frequently used the account. I have recently started a new job and after working for the first month I was issued two corporate bank checks to deposit until my direct deposit becomes effective at the next pay period.

As there is a Citizens Bank branch right down the street from my office, I immediately stopped in and deposited the two checks at the ATM in the drive through lane (early morning on Wed. 3/14). Now, keep in mind my employer is well established and has been a fixture in the community for over 200+ years with no issues. I didn't expect the money to be available first thing Thursday or even Friday, but I was shocked to learn upon my inquiry that the money was being held under a "hard hold" until Thursday 3/22 - over a week!!!

I am a very reasonable individual and could understand if these checks were third party or from grandma or your friend or whatever, but not a corporate payroll check from a better than well-established organization. The frustration begins when I've already been waiting and working for a month to be compensated and when I finally am and want to go and do things for my daughter Citizens Bank has prevented me from doing so. But I am the one left to try and take care of a child and explain to her why we can't do the things we've been a month to do and why we can't buy the things we need even though daddy has earned the money and been paid. I called customer service and spent over 90 minutes of our Saturday morning wasting my time and simply getting the run around. I then waited until Monday morning and went in the branch I deposited the checks, all to no avail.

Finally, as a last resort I decided to drive into my home branch where I opened the account (staff is great here btw). While on my way, which is taking time out of my work day, I call corporate customer service again to see if there is any solution at all. What I am told is that if I can provide a local number and contact from the issuing bank (my organization's corporate banking account) and call Citizens back with that information they can then verify the checks and release the holds. Now this sure seems like I'm doing someone's job for them but having no alternative I decide to try and see where it gets me. I successfully stop into the issuing bank and get a representative to assist me which was great. However, the joy didn't last as when I called Citizens back they told this couldn't be done and the only thing to do for the hard hold to be removed was simply to wait until the 22nd (over a week).

So I am writing this complaint because this is completely unacceptable in our fast paced world of instant everything and computer technology. This bank plays games with people's lives. I'm left at a loss for words to give my little girl and left without access to the money I earned while spending time away from my little girl all because of outdated and antiquated bank policies.

Where is the common sense? My organization is old and has been around forever. Why would one of their payroll checks not be good all of a sudden? The answer is that it is impossible but yet Citizens bank plays with people's lives and well being. There is no reason for this hold and the inconvenience I have encountered. Truth is that I could have went to the issuing bank, Walmart or a check cashing location and had cash on hand. Rather, I used my good standing bank account in which I make significant deposits and get handcuffed for over a week waiting to access MY money.

Citizens bank is simply a terrible awful business and the worst bank I have ever used. My friends in the PA Attorney General's Consumer Protection division have already been forwarded my information and to no surprise have stated the list of Citizens' complaints is long. I suggest taking your business elsewhere and will do everything in my power to bring this company to their knees as that is what they have done to me. It is too bad because they do have some good folks at the local branch levels but overall this is a place you don't want to be associated with and there are many other banks that will treat you like a person in 2018. Citizens bank, it is one thing to play games with me. It is quite different to involve my little girl. This will not be the last you've heard from me. Count on it!

Original review: March 17, 2018

I own many rental properties and have had over 20 mortgages over the decades. I have dealt with many different banks for this. Citizens is the worst by far. Incorrect insurance amounts being paid out of escrow accounts wrong, year after year, they have missed paying property taxes out of escrow accounts at times, a total pain trying to get mortgages paid off early, you can not go into a branch and do ANYTHING with your mortgage as far as paying it down or getting their screw ups corrected, statements come saying the it is auto paid from an account (as is suppose to be) and then followed up with a letter saying you have not paid it. Nothing but constant babysitting their terrible bookkeeping. I quit dealing with their mortgage department 6 years ago and in the middle paying off the last mortgage (24 early) I have with them.

I call and they say, "OK, you are correct, if you get more nasty letters, just ignore them." I just got a "Default" letter on the last $200 balance on a mortgage that was suppose to be closed out 2 months ago, when the monthly statement clearly stated $1100 will be drawn auto out of one of my accounts with them (and it was not), not to mention they have $4,000 of escrow they could use to do it. Hours of dogging them for a messy $200 balance that could (and should have) been paid off automatically. I have several checking accounts with them with a total balance ranging from $100K to $200k with them at all times. Now I am concern they may report this as late in my credit report. I borrow from other banks and have a 850 FICO, so it is important to me. If there is one mark on my credit record I am going to my attorney. They are fine with savings and checking accounts, been with them for 35 years, But I would NEVER EVER go to them for a mortgage.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I applied for a personal loan and was approved. Provided all documentation and signed all the paperwork and downloaded the same. Waited a week still no deposit into my Citizens Bank account. I logged back into the website that I filled out the paperwork on to discover that my loan application had been declined. I have been banking with them for over 15 years, have 3 accounts with them, have an 806 score. I also have their credit card which they have never reviewed for a credit line increase ever and I can't use because it has such a low limit that if I spend over 100 dollars on it then I'm at 10% of my limit and it negatively affects my score.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I've been a client of Citizens Bank for more than 10 years, and they've been progressively going downhill for years. They are one of the most technologically-backward and deficient industry. Their website and app are routinely atrocious in their usability, including randomly not accepting your password, even when you've not changed it, forcing resets. I've probably had to reset my password at least a dozen times in the last six months alone. Their customer service reps are frequently a range of useless, to unhelpful and rude. Their basic and mid-level accounts have few if any perks to them.

Original review: March 8, 2018

On 3/1 I accidentally used the wrong card to pay for an item via PayPal. When I noticed on the 1st (this is not my primary account, though I was planning for it to be... definitely not now), I attempted to make a payment with the "express delivery option" to cover the amount, but the website kept giving me an error message telling me the dollar amount format was incorrect. No matter how I formatted it, I kept getting the same error message. I emailed customer service to let them know about the issue with the website and was expecting a quick reply given that I was trying to pay them, but I have so far received NO REPLY to that communication at all. Calling didn't seem like the most reasonable move, since I doubt it would have been any easier to get in touch with the IT department via phone.

On the 2nd when I hadn't heard back from anyone about the error message, I transferred the small amount of money I had just received via eBay sales from my PayPal account which was just enough to cover the transaction amount. Unfortunately, an overdraft fee was already processing, which I was not made aware of until well after it had gone through.

On 3/6 when I realized there was an overdraft charge on the account, I tried to initiate a transfer from my bank, again getting the same error message that the dollar amount was incorrectly formatted. On a whim, I switched the delivery method to "standard" from "express", and what do you know? It worked. Had the system not been so poorly functioning, I could have made the payment on the 2nd.

BUT WAIT, we're not done. On 3/7 I was charged a "sustained overdraft fee", which I did not even know was a feature of the account, and is completely ridiculous, considering I had already tried to pay for the initial overdraft. Citizen's customer service is some of the worst I've ever received, online, and in person, right up there with Target, and I WILL be closing this account as soon as I get this resolved. Oh, and if you need to write them an email that's more than two short sentences, you're out of luck. There's a character cap on every available written contact method on the website.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

They can set up any account for you within minutes or even hours, but their fees are insane. There’s no loyalty for their account holders. What sense does it make to charge a NSF fee, then additional fees each day your account is negative? If for some fluke or odd reason the account holder falls on hard financial times, the account goes into a negative, then Citizen Bank will access a fee EACH day the account is negative! What goes on in the minds of the board to think “while the account holder is negative, giving them more fees will help him or her to crawl out from the financial hardship faster.” WHO THINKS OF THIS NONSENSE!!! How does assessing more fees on top of fees makes sense!!!

Trust me! Don’t bank with them. You will fall in hard times, this is America. I’m married and middle age, with a small savings with cryptocurrency and other investments, but Citizens Bank robs me at every turn to establish myself with their institution. Most of us live from check to check and the large banking institutions don’t care!!! Don’t do it!!! I bank with 2 credit unions and Citizens bank. Guess what, my direct deposits, savings, and business accounts will go over to my credit unions. There’s a huge difference.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Citizens did not have my current address on file so I did not know my mortgage amount changed at the start of the new year. I have bill pay set up and sent out the payment for Jan 2018. Because the payment was less than due they refused my money. I did not know this. The only way I found out is that somehow they knew to send my check back to my current address which I received yesterday. I called immediate this morning at the start of business and was informed that I was considered late payment and they sent a ding against my credit. When I asked to address this, they said I would have to take it up directly with the credit agencies.

The part that is incompetent is that they were getting my mail back so they knew I was not informed of changes. They claimed they made calls to my phone which I use 24-7 for business and personal so I answer it 99% of the time. But I did not get any calls from them. And also told they cannot leave messages. Customer service could care less that their customer is upset, distressed and taking time away from their job to address a problem. I give them a big fat F.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

We have been loyal Citizens Bank customers for 15 plus years. Overdrafted our account twice in those 15 plus years. I messed up on my check deposits and withdrawals. They charged me 3 times overdrafts this time around and will not even budge on refunding one of them. Imagine being a loyal customer all that time and dealing with them not offering any help at all to you? Alexandra ** manager accounts support department was rude, not helpful and did not care that we were loyal customers for so long. We will be closing our account with Citizens and going to a local bank. I would not recommend Citizens. They treat you like a number not a person.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

The worst customer service. After becoming a victim of fraud and trying to get things resolved I must have hit every wall imaginable in regards to getting my account in order. It took a month to get my account closed and reopen a new account. During that process they never sent a new card. I had to request a new card 3 times. They sent the pin code but no card. I was never reimbursed for the fraud and lost a large amount of money. The customer service was sleeping on the phone, never filed the disputes properly and was told a number of different stories. I wrote down every person's name and number after every conversation. When I called back I was told that person didn't work the department or there was no person by that name. Now that I've been disputing the fraud charges for 6 weeks they say there is nothing they can do.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

Citizens Bank has been the worst bank I have ever dealt with in 30+ years of banking. They were very quick to get us in the door to work with them and offered all kinds of incentives to join their bank so as a small business owner who was looking to partner with a bank, we went with them. What. A. Mistake. It is a very long story and I don't want to bore anyone with the details but Citizens almost caused a small thriving trucking company to close down. Thank goodness we had a savings account (with PNC Bank) to keep us operating while we fought with Citizens with no cooperation whatsoever. So, we moved all of our banking to PNC and closed every account we had with Citizens.

Citizens Bank Company Information