2. Finance
  3. Banks and Credit Unions

3.4/5 (261 ratings)

About Citizens Bank

Citizens Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens Bank?

Original review: Sept. 11, 2021

I have a checking account w/ Citizens Bank. I accidentally overdrew my account and was my card was allowed to remain active for a week (accumulating $430 in fees). I called the customer service # for help. Immediately was offended by the rep I talked to. Asked for supervisor repeatedly, finally he transferred me to a woman. Not sure this woman was in fact a supervisor! She was not much help either. Asked for her boss, to no avail. My service experience ended there. She advised me to go to a branch. When I went in the branch, I discover once again they were understaffed. No one with any authority to help me.

I cannot believe that Citizens would take advantage of their customer who was experiencing a financial hardship. All of which had been explained to the rep on telephone. I know that some of the fault is my own and I was willing to pay some of the fees but $430 is insane!! I will forever be reminded of how they took advantage of those who needed a little help in this trying time. ** Gave them 2 stars because the rep in the branch was friendly w/ genuine concern.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

First of all, it is now impossible to speak to customer service on the phone. You have to directly deal with branches. They also didn’t process my closed home equity creating problems with a mortgage lender.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

The branch at 152 Everett Ave, Chelsea, Massachusetts is the worst. Waiting in line for over 20 minutes to withdraw money, because drive thru machine always run out of money or mostly because it is always under repair (broken), poor customer service probably bad management. Going inside entrance of building only has one atm and has the same issues as drive thru. When branch is open there is another atm (fairly new) which runs out of money also, so wait in line 20 minutes to do a two minute transaction. So sad this location has for customer experience management needs to step up its bar. Right now it is at bottom. Good news is that it could be worse.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

Has all the earmarks of a bank going out of business. 1 800 number leads you to an endless computer menu that takes you nowhere and gives you no answers. They have an online chat system but nobody answers. You go to the branch and you find all the drive-up windows boarded up. You go inside and get a few disinterested employees who do not wish to talk to you or even deal with you never mind hear about a problem with the bank. Run people. Don't walk away. Run. I am soon to be a 40-year former customer.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

As per my experience, they are real stealers and loot all your earnings in a very fraudulent way. I have experienced with them for more than 20 years. Stay away from these looters. Don't give up your hard earned money.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

They got our names misspelled. Had a limit on how much you could transfer and yet the offer demanded a certain amount in a 10 day period, yet their limits wouldn't allow for that time period. They consistently got information wrong though, went to different branches to resolve and called helpline and talked to supervisor and still could not resolve...was a waste of time...leave your money in a different bank...you may not be able to get it out of this one!!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

The Greenwich, CT branch has the poorest service, poorly trained staff, English is a second language at this branch. Very unlikely to recommend to anyone! They don't respond promptly to email, or telephone call backs. If a depositor has a problem, they refer you to an 800# where you can wait 30 minutes, or more to get a human voice.

Original review: July 29, 2021

My father had a home equity line of credit with the company. After he passed away I tried to contact them regarding his account. Understandably they needed info from me to give me information. I supplied what they requested. When I sold the house and needed pay off information they would not give me any information after repeated phone calls and supplying the same info I provided before. They finally wanted to mail me the info I requested but I needed the payoff info for a closing not when our mail service could get me the account number from them. Very difficult to communicate with, would not put me through to a supervisor. Would not recommend them as a bank to deal with at all. My dad had problems with them over the course of his loan as well. NOT applying payments when he had proof of them being received, not returning phone calls when he tried to inquire, etc.., Customer service is very much in need of improvement.

Original review: July 18, 2021

Four months ago (during April), while Covid-19 was still in the upswing, I ordered through the Uber Eats app using my Citizens Bank debit card. Three different times the Uber Eats driver brought the food cold, and then on the third time, the driver brought someone along with him who was not masked up and was not wearing gloves. The bags each time were also open, or were not properly sealed. I complained to Uber for violation of Covid-19 and health food safety policies, who refused to refund my money and instead demanded I contact the business, who then blamed it in turn on Uber. I was left with no alternative to contact my bank and file a dispute with them as a recourse.

The bank processed my claim and said on the form that what I was trying to do was an option since the business was refusing to cooperate. Four months later the bank decided to overturn and give the money back because someone in the claims department decided to audit my account I guess. It's been downhill ever since. I have spoken with three people in the office of the chairmen. They have hollered and screamed me over the telephone, stating I will get no one there and it was my fault about ordering from Uber Eats and that I should've paid for a new Uber to take the food back if I suspected there was something wrong with the food.

One of the women who hollered at me suggested that if I felt so strongly about the way citizens bank was treating me, then perhaps I should pursue a case against them in small claims court to get the $54.00 back. When I asked her if she was really suggesting that, she yelled at me and said she didn't suggest that. When I reminded her that she told me the calls were being recorded she told me she'd have someone higher up than her call me back. That was a month ago. Then she hung up on me. I filed a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau and Citizens bank has refused to respond to the complaint so far.

Do not bank with these people. They are very abusive people. I even sent them messages informing them their actions are criminal in the state of New Hampshire and they have thumbed their nose at both the civil and criminal statutes. If you want to get anywhere with Citizens Bank, then you will need to pursue a case against them in court. Believe me you won't be the first person/organization that has sued them. Just Google search them. They have been dragged into federal court multiple times. They have lost almost each and every time. Some of the people taking them to court has been in fact the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. I think some of these positive reviews are fake. and that they are being written by employees.

Original review: July 14, 2021

I have been a Citizens customer for many years. I ran into an issue when my mortgage company charged me twice in one month when they were only supposed to charge me once. I called Citizens customer service and said this is my mortgage company which I had many years and I have had no issue with them previously. I just need to dispute this one charge. The rep disputed the charge and then had the three bounce check fees refunded.

The rep never informed me that my mortgage company would be blocked from charging me for the next six months. So when the next mortgage payment went to process, it never went through. The mortgage company said the payment was being returned and that they were being blocked by Citizens Bank. I called Citizens Bank customer service again and asked if my mortgage company was being blocked. The rep said no so then I tried to make a mortgage payment again and it was blocked and I continued to receive insufficient fund fees.

Citizens should be liable for my insufficient fund fees because their rep never informed me that if I dispute a charge, my mortgage company would not be able to charge my account for six months. I never requested that my mortgage company be blocked at all. I just disputed being charged twice in the same month when the mortgage company was only supposed to charge me once. I was told in order to get the block taken off my account, I had to stop by the branch in person. It took me 90 minutes at the branch trying to get my account unblocked. Because it was mission critical that I get my mortgage company unblocked, I was not able to address a previous unrelated issue with the branch.

I have since paid off my mortgage free and clear. I have never been late on my mortgage nor any other line of credit in over 21 years and was deeply offended to be charged all these insufficient fund fees when I had more than enough money in my checking account. The service at my branch (Naaman's Rd Wilmington DE) is pretty dismal. For example, the rep informed me that I was "pre-approved" for an $18K credit line, zero interest on purchases and balance transfers for 18 months. I said I don't need a credit card as I have 0% plus 2-3% cash back on purchases. Because I was floating all my debt on zero interest credit cards so I could pay off my mortgage early, I took them up on their "offer" because it was a few months additional of "0%" than what I was currently using.

Except the claim of 0% for 18 months on purchases is a hoax. Citizens Bank I am now told makes no such offers. It's supposed to be 0% on balance transfers but they don't actually give you the opportunity to make a balance transfer. They say you have to wait for the checks to come in the mail with the 0% transfer offer but no such checks ever arrive (for the record, I used to get several of these check offers a week from their competitors pre-COVID and still get several offers a month now).

It was an incredible waste of time to switch all my reoccurring monthly charges from a credit card that pays 0% and 2-3% cash back to the Citizens Bank credit card which is not only no cash back, not 0% and even charges you interest if you pay off the balance every month. This mistake has been costing me in interest and unearned cash back about $30 a month until I just closed this card out. It is very frustrating because it marks the first time I have paid interest on a credit card since 2005.

To top it all off, a representative from the company Chairman's office contacted me. I thought this was a positive development but it went absolutely nowhere. There's nothing they can do about a local branch lying about zero interest on credit offers for purchases because it was done in person there are no call recordings to pull.

While they can pull the recordings of customer service reps handling my request to "dispute this charge from my mortgage company just this one time" and then putting a six month block on my account without telling me and then telling me my account was not being blocked when I followed up on another date, they said they cannot be liable for fees being charge by another finance company as a result of their negligence. So overall I am highly dissatisfied and will likely close out my accounts and go elsewhere after carefully evaluating alternatives.

Citizens Bank Company Information