2. Finance
  3. Banks and Credit Unions

3.6/5 (259 ratings)

About Citizens Bank

Citizens Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens Bank?

Original review: April 29, 2021

We have mortgaged through Citizens for the past three houses. Since we have our savings/checking through them also, going online to check your balances is so nice to have all your mortgage info available on the same page and location. The staff has always been very helpful and I believe they do have my best interest at heart. Only wish re-financing wasn't so darn costly.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

Interest rate is ok. Easy to communicate. After we checked with other places, we settle with Citizens Bank. They are comparatively same with other top student loan providers. Having the same loan for two students from the same household.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2020

I've been with Citizens Bank for almost a month now, I have a checking account. I dropped M&T and went to citizens. I absolutely love them! Fantastic customer service! I don't like the overdraft so well, but hey it's called keep your account out of negative then! :) I have nothing bad to say, I love the card! Bank locations are extremely near me which is very convenient and easy! (State of Delaware) I recommend them! So far so good.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

This bank has been our bank for almost 27 years. When we moved to NH we started with them and have remained with them since. Customer Service is fantastic. I will say during this Covid-19 it has not been always easy to reach them by phone due to high call volume, but always very helpful. Also the financial group they have is great as well. They meet with you at your appointment time, and if you do not call to make an appointment they are calling you to set one up. Great bank overall.

Original review: July 18, 2021

Four months ago (during April), while Covid-19 was still in the upswing, I ordered through the Uber Eats app using my Citizens Bank debit card. Three different times the Uber Eats driver brought the food cold, and then on the third time, the driver brought someone along with him who was not masked up and was not wearing gloves. The bags each time were also open, or were not properly sealed. I complained to Uber for violation of Covid-19 and health food safety policies, who refused to refund my money and instead demanded I contact the business, who then blamed it in turn on Uber. I was left with no alternative to contact my bank and file a dispute with them as a recourse.

The bank processed my claim and said on the form that what I was trying to do was an option since the business was refusing to cooperate. Four months later the bank decided to overturn and give the money back because someone in the claims department decided to audit my account I guess. It's been downhill ever since. I have spoken with three people in the office of the chairmen. They have hollered and screamed me over the telephone, stating I will get no one there and it was my fault about ordering from Uber Eats and that I should've paid for a new Uber to take the food back if I suspected there was something wrong with the food.

One of the women who hollered at me suggested that if I felt so strongly about the way citizens bank was treating me, then perhaps I should pursue a case against them in small claims court to get the $54.00 back. When I asked her if she was really suggesting that, she yelled at me and said she didn't suggest that. When I reminded her that she told me the calls were being recorded she told me she'd have someone higher up than her call me back. That was a month ago. Then she hung up on me. I filed a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau and Citizens bank has refused to respond to the complaint so far.

Do not bank with these people. They are very abusive people. I even sent them messages informing them their actions are criminal in the state of New Hampshire and they have thumbed their nose at both the civil and criminal statutes. If you want to get anywhere with Citizens Bank, then you will need to pursue a case against them in court. Believe me you won't be the first person/organization that has sued them. Just Google search them. They have been dragged into federal court multiple times. They have lost almost each and every time. Some of the people taking them to court has been in fact the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. I think some of these positive reviews are fake. and that they are being written by employees.

Original review: July 14, 2021

I have been a Citizens customer for many years. I ran into an issue when my mortgage company charged me twice in one month when they were only supposed to charge me once. I called Citizens customer service and said this is my mortgage company which I had many years and I have had no issue with them previously. I just need to dispute this one charge. The rep disputed the charge and then had the three bounce check fees refunded.

The rep never informed me that my mortgage company would be blocked from charging me for the next six months. So when the next mortgage payment went to process, it never went through. The mortgage company said the payment was being returned and that they were being blocked by Citizens Bank. I called Citizens Bank customer service again and asked if my mortgage company was being blocked. The rep said no so then I tried to make a mortgage payment again and it was blocked and I continued to receive insufficient fund fees.

Citizens should be liable for my insufficient fund fees because their rep never informed me that if I dispute a charge, my mortgage company would not be able to charge my account for six months. I never requested that my mortgage company be blocked at all. I just disputed being charged twice in the same month when the mortgage company was only supposed to charge me once. I was told in order to get the block taken off my account, I had to stop by the branch in person. It took me 90 minutes at the branch trying to get my account unblocked. Because it was mission critical that I get my mortgage company unblocked, I was not able to address a previous unrelated issue with the branch.

I have since paid off my mortgage free and clear. I have never been late on my mortgage nor any other line of credit in over 21 years and was deeply offended to be charged all these insufficient fund fees when I had more than enough money in my checking account. The service at my branch (Naaman's Rd Wilmington DE) is pretty dismal. For example, the rep informed me that I was "pre-approved" for an $18K credit line, zero interest on purchases and balance transfers for 18 months. I said I don't need a credit card as I have 0% plus 2-3% cash back on purchases. Because I was floating all my debt on zero interest credit cards so I could pay off my mortgage early, I took them up on their "offer" because it was a few months additional of "0%" than what I was currently using.

Except the claim of 0% for 18 months on purchases is a hoax. Citizens Bank I am now told makes no such offers. It's supposed to be 0% on balance transfers but they don't actually give you the opportunity to make a balance transfer. They say you have to wait for the checks to come in the mail with the 0% transfer offer but no such checks ever arrive (for the record, I used to get several of these check offers a week from their competitors pre-COVID and still get several offers a month now).

It was an incredible waste of time to switch all my reoccurring monthly charges from a credit card that pays 0% and 2-3% cash back to the Citizens Bank credit card which is not only no cash back, not 0% and even charges you interest if you pay off the balance every month. This mistake has been costing me in interest and unearned cash back about $30 a month until I just closed this card out. It is very frustrating because it marks the first time I have paid interest on a credit card since 2005.

To top it all off, a representative from the company Chairman's office contacted me. I thought this was a positive development but it went absolutely nowhere. There's nothing they can do about a local branch lying about zero interest on credit offers for purchases because it was done in person there are no call recordings to pull.

While they can pull the recordings of customer service reps handling my request to "dispute this charge from my mortgage company just this one time" and then putting a six month block on my account without telling me and then telling me my account was not being blocked when I followed up on another date, they said they cannot be liable for fees being charge by another finance company as a result of their negligence. So overall I am highly dissatisfied and will likely close out my accounts and go elsewhere after carefully evaluating alternatives.

Original review: June 29, 2021

We have our mortgage with them and every time we ask them for something. It takes them a month to process and then they would never response, and when you call them they would say it’s denied for some bogus reason. Honestly if I knew this is what I’d be dealing with, I would’ve never bought the house.

Original review: June 24, 2021

I had an issue where OnStar was allowed to take 4 payments out of our account with expired credit card info. They were denied 8 times and then Citizens let it go through on the 9th! I called the 800 # and was told that I had to cancel my debit card and get a new one. When I refused they said they “could not help me”. The bank let the payment go through with expired info. Onstar sent the payment. I did nothing wrong. Why should I be the inconvenienced and has to run around and change my other auto payments? “Supervisor Allan Z“ helped me. He was rude, not helpful and just repeated himself and He refused to give me his employee # or full name. Worst experience. Unprofessional and a wasted of time. I spent a half hour on the phone for nothing.

Original review: June 18, 2021

So my son received 3 checks from Giant Eagle for a job he had there last year. The checks were mailed to him in May 2021. He deposited them in June 2021. These were payroll adjustment checks. They were dated in 2020 but had no "valid for 180 days" or indication that they would expire. He deposited them through the mobile app. All three were returned and he was charged 60$ by Citizens for the three checks. Two were for 5$ or less. When we went to the branch to try and reason with them they flat out said checks were no good after 180 days. If so why did they process them? Why wouldn't they reject them right away, why process them. They wouldn't explain or accept any responsibility. Of course we are disappointed. Especially disappointed at the way we were treated, as if we were dumb criminals. Time to change banks. Goodbye anticitizens.

Original review: June 9, 2021

I was in the covid relief plan for 3 months last year. My hardship ended and I resumed making payments and accepted deferral on 1/13 to move the 3 payments to the end of my mortgage. I was then told that after I make my JAN payment over the phone that I would be able to resume making payments online in FEB. I was then told on 2/12 by Jade, 3/15 by Sharon, 4/13 by Denise, and 5/10 by loss mitigation the same thing, that my loan was still being restored/setup and I would be able to resume online payments "next month"... it is always "next month". I've had enough of the lies.

Citizens Bank Company Information