1.26/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 17, 2018

299 Citizens Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 17, 2018

The bank automatically enrolls you in Overdraft Protection with a Line of Credit. Even if you have two accounts, they don't link those accounts together so any overdraft is taken from the second account. If you accidentally overdraft an account, you get a Line of Credit "loan" which they then charged you 22% interest rate on monthly. There is no notice that you have overdrafted so these "loan" payments continue until you notice a ding in your credit report. It is not even clear online what is happening and you can't even pay off this "loan" online if you wanted to. This has happened twice to me now. I swore that I cancelled this "feature" the first time it happened to avoid this, but just realized it happened again when my credit rating took another dip. The first time this happened, I called the bank and they told me to write a letter to the manager of the branch where the account was opened. I do this, but received NO REPLY.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I have home equity line of credit with Citizens Bank, they decided to raise my interest rate without the Fed raising the prime interest rate. I called the Bank after being hold forever, I was told Wall Street Journal made recommendation. DO yourself a Favor and Bank somewhere else.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 2, 2018

While I made a grave error in judgement your fraud department officials should be fired. I realized my problem from the first time but cancel all accounts (after thirty years) because of single returned check afterward is I believe is really just in necessary and quite frankly a mistreatment of power. I wish I had that individual in front of me because he or she has a real power trip complex. To close the accounts of someone who has over $300k investments with your organization is obviously not important to you or your investors. I did a review of your bank's satisfaction and it is obvious your president and CEO is out of touch with the real world. I don't usually make such posts but felt compelled to do so because of your treatment of me.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I opened an account last year with Citizens Bank in Dudley branch and few months later there was 500 withdrawal out of my account on Feb 2017 - apparently someone walked in and the teller gave them $ 500 out of my checking. I called and explained to them that I only opened my account there. I never walked in ever since and how is that someone is walking in and able to do a withdrawal? They apologize and stated that they investigate the situation and credit my account.

Early March 2018, I received an email indicating that a new card was ship - I was not sure why so didn’t call. I assumed that was their standard - this account is only for saving and transfer rent fee. I have never used it in stores. I did not think anything of it until I received a letter in the mail saying, "Thank you for updating your address or phone number," and if I did not to call, I called and found On March 26 2018, a bank withdrawal at the Dudley in Roxbury location occurred again. $400 was taken out my saving and 300 was taking out my checking saving and 80 was deposit in saving and 20 in checking.

Again the common issues all occurred in the bank where I opened my account - who is doing this I believe in internal. How can some walk in a branch and take money out of someone else account? I strongly believe that is someone who works in the bank. What is the protocol for the Dudley branch in Roxbury? What is the validation of identity? I am extremely disappointed with Citizens Bank of Boston for their lack of verification of identity. Also the person opened a credit card with Citizen under my account. I am extremely schooled. I have been with Bank of America for a very large my time over 20 years and this never happened. I have only been with Citizens Bank less than 2 years and with that time frame 3 incidents occurred.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I have been a customer of Citizens Bank for quite some time and other than their oft-complained about overdraft policies, I have had a relatively good experience and like the staff of my local branch. However, the reason I am writing this review is that all of that has since changed. I originally opened my account following a divorce and should note that I am a single father to a two year old little girl. I was also unemployed at the time, but still frequently used the account. I have recently started a new job and after working for the first month I was issued two corporate bank checks to deposit until my direct deposit becomes effective at the next pay period.

As there is a Citizens Bank branch right down the street from my office, I immediately stopped in and deposited the two checks at the ATM in the drive through lane (early morning on Wed. 3/14). Now, keep in mind my employer is well established and has been a fixture in the community for over 200+ years with no issues. I didn't expect the money to be available first thing Thursday or even Friday, but I was shocked to learn upon my inquiry that the money was being held under a "hard hold" until Thursday 3/22 - over a week!!!

I am a very reasonable individual and could understand if these checks were third party or from grandma or your friend or whatever, but not a corporate payroll check from a better than well-established organization. The frustration begins when I've already been waiting and working for a month to be compensated and when I finally am and want to go and do things for my daughter Citizens Bank has prevented me from doing so. But I am the one left to try and take care of a child and explain to her why we can't do the things we've been a month to do and why we can't buy the things we need even though daddy has earned the money and been paid. I called customer service and spent over 90 minutes of our Saturday morning wasting my time and simply getting the run around. I then waited until Monday morning and went in the branch I deposited the checks, all to no avail.

Finally, as a last resort I decided to drive into my home branch where I opened the account (staff is great here btw). While on my way, which is taking time out of my work day, I call corporate customer service again to see if there is any solution at all. What I am told is that if I can provide a local number and contact from the issuing bank (my organization's corporate banking account) and call Citizens back with that information they can then verify the checks and release the holds. Now this sure seems like I'm doing someone's job for them but having no alternative I decide to try and see where it gets me. I successfully stop into the issuing bank and get a representative to assist me which was great. However, the joy didn't last as when I called Citizens back they told this couldn't be done and the only thing to do for the hard hold to be removed was simply to wait until the 22nd (over a week).

So I am writing this complaint because this is completely unacceptable in our fast paced world of instant everything and computer technology. This bank plays games with people's lives. I'm left at a loss for words to give my little girl and left without access to the money I earned while spending time away from my little girl all because of outdated and antiquated bank policies.

Where is the common sense? My organization is old and has been around forever. Why would one of their payroll checks not be good all of a sudden? The answer is that it is impossible but yet Citizens bank plays with people's lives and well being. There is no reason for this hold and the inconvenience I have encountered. Truth is that I could have went to the issuing bank, Walmart or a check cashing location and had cash on hand. Rather, I used my good standing bank account in which I make significant deposits and get handcuffed for over a week waiting to access MY money.

Citizens bank is simply a terrible awful business and the worst bank I have ever used. My friends in the PA Attorney General's Consumer Protection division have already been forwarded my information and to no surprise have stated the list of Citizens' complaints is long. I suggest taking your business elsewhere and will do everything in my power to bring this company to their knees as that is what they have done to me. It is too bad because they do have some good folks at the local branch levels but overall this is a place you don't want to be associated with and there are many other banks that will treat you like a person in 2018. Citizens bank, it is one thing to play games with me. It is quite different to involve my little girl. This will not be the last you've heard from me. Count on it!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens Bank?

Original review: March 17, 2018

I own many rental properties and have had over 20 mortgages over the decades. I have dealt with many different banks for this. Citizens is the worst by far. Incorrect insurance amounts being paid out of escrow accounts wrong, year after year, they have missed paying property taxes out of escrow accounts at times, a total pain trying to get mortgages paid off early, you can not go into a branch and do ANYTHING with your mortgage as far as paying it down or getting their screw ups corrected, statements come saying the it is auto paid from an account (as is suppose to be) and then followed up with a letter saying you have not paid it. Nothing but constant babysitting their terrible bookkeeping. I quit dealing with their mortgage department 6 years ago and in the middle paying off the last mortgage (24 early) I have with them.

I call and they say, "OK, you are correct, if you get more nasty letters, just ignore them." I just got a "Default" letter on the last $200 balance on a mortgage that was suppose to be closed out 2 months ago, when the monthly statement clearly stated $1100 will be drawn auto out of one of my accounts with them (and it was not), not to mention they have $4,000 of escrow they could use to do it. Hours of dogging them for a messy $200 balance that could (and should have) been paid off automatically. I have several checking accounts with them with a total balance ranging from $100K to $200k with them at all times. Now I am concern they may report this as late in my credit report. I borrow from other banks and have a 850 FICO, so it is important to me. If there is one mark on my credit record I am going to my attorney. They are fine with savings and checking accounts, been with them for 35 years, But I would NEVER EVER go to them for a mortgage.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I applied for a personal loan and was approved. Provided all documentation and signed all the paperwork and downloaded the same. Waited a week still no deposit into my Citizens Bank account. I logged back into the website that I filled out the paperwork on to discover that my loan application had been declined. I have been banking with them for over 15 years, have 3 accounts with them, have an 806 score. I also have their credit card which they have never reviewed for a credit line increase ever and I can't use because it has such a low limit that if I spend over 100 dollars on it then I'm at 10% of my limit and it negatively affects my score.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I've been a client of Citizens Bank for more than 10 years, and they've been progressively going downhill for years. They are one of the most technologically-backward and deficient industry. Their website and app are routinely atrocious in their usability, including randomly not accepting your password, even when you've not changed it, forcing resets. I've probably had to reset my password at least a dozen times in the last six months alone. Their customer service reps are frequently a range of useless, to unhelpful and rude. Their basic and mid-level accounts have few if any perks to them.

Original review: March 8, 2018

On 3/1 I accidentally used the wrong card to pay for an item via PayPal. When I noticed on the 1st (this is not my primary account, though I was planning for it to be... definitely not now), I attempted to make a payment with the "express delivery option" to cover the amount, but the website kept giving me an error message telling me the dollar amount format was incorrect. No matter how I formatted it, I kept getting the same error message. I emailed customer service to let them know about the issue with the website and was expecting a quick reply given that I was trying to pay them, but I have so far received NO REPLY to that communication at all. Calling didn't seem like the most reasonable move, since I doubt it would have been any easier to get in touch with the IT department via phone.

On the 2nd when I hadn't heard back from anyone about the error message, I transferred the small amount of money I had just received via eBay sales from my PayPal account which was just enough to cover the transaction amount. Unfortunately, an overdraft fee was already processing, which I was not made aware of until well after it had gone through.

On 3/6 when I realized there was an overdraft charge on the account, I tried to initiate a transfer from my bank, again getting the same error message that the dollar amount was incorrectly formatted. On a whim, I switched the delivery method to "standard" from "express", and what do you know? It worked. Had the system not been so poorly functioning, I could have made the payment on the 2nd.

BUT WAIT, we're not done. On 3/7 I was charged a "sustained overdraft fee", which I did not even know was a feature of the account, and is completely ridiculous, considering I had already tried to pay for the initial overdraft. Citizen's customer service is some of the worst I've ever received, online, and in person, right up there with Target, and I WILL be closing this account as soon as I get this resolved. Oh, and if you need to write them an email that's more than two short sentences, you're out of luck. There's a character cap on every available written contact method on the website.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

They can set up any account for you within minutes or even hours, but their fees are insane. There’s no loyalty for their account holders. What sense does it make to charge a NSF fee, then additional fees each day your account is negative? If for some fluke or odd reason the account holder falls on hard financial times, the account goes into a negative, then Citizen Bank will access a fee EACH day the account is negative! What goes on in the minds of the board to think “while the account holder is negative, giving them more fees will help him or her to crawl out from the financial hardship faster.” WHO THINKS OF THIS NONSENSE!!! How does assessing more fees on top of fees makes sense!!!

Trust me! Don’t bank with them. You will fall in hard times, this is America. I’m married and middle age, with a small savings with cryptocurrency and other investments, but Citizens Bank robs me at every turn to establish myself with their institution. Most of us live from check to check and the large banking institutions don’t care!!! Don’t do it!!! I bank with 2 credit unions and Citizens bank. Guess what, my direct deposits, savings, and business accounts will go over to my credit unions. There’s a huge difference.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

Citizens did not have my current address on file so I did not know my mortgage amount changed at the start of the new year. I have bill pay set up and sent out the payment for Jan 2018. Because the payment was less than due they refused my money. I did not know this. The only way I found out is that somehow they knew to send my check back to my current address which I received yesterday. I called immediate this morning at the start of business and was informed that I was considered late payment and they sent a ding against my credit. When I asked to address this, they said I would have to take it up directly with the credit agencies.

The part that is incompetent is that they were getting my mail back so they knew I was not informed of changes. They claimed they made calls to my phone which I use 24-7 for business and personal so I answer it 99% of the time. But I did not get any calls from them. And also told they cannot leave messages. Customer service could care less that their customer is upset, distressed and taking time away from their job to address a problem. I give them a big fat F.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2018

We have been loyal Citizens Bank customers for 15 plus years. Overdrafted our account twice in those 15 plus years. I messed up on my check deposits and withdrawals. They charged me 3 times overdrafts this time around and will not even budge on refunding one of them. Imagine being a loyal customer all that time and dealing with them not offering any help at all to you? Alexandra ** manager accounts support department was rude, not helpful and did not care that we were loyal customers for so long. We will be closing our account with Citizens and going to a local bank. I would not recommend Citizens. They treat you like a number not a person.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

The worst customer service. After becoming a victim of fraud and trying to get things resolved I must have hit every wall imaginable in regards to getting my account in order. It took a month to get my account closed and reopen a new account. During that process they never sent a new card. I had to request a new card 3 times. They sent the pin code but no card. I was never reimbursed for the fraud and lost a large amount of money. The customer service was sleeping on the phone, never filed the disputes properly and was told a number of different stories. I wrote down every person's name and number after every conversation. When I called back I was told that person didn't work the department or there was no person by that name. Now that I've been disputing the fraud charges for 6 weeks they say there is nothing they can do.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

Citizens Bank has been the worst bank I have ever dealt with in 30+ years of banking. They were very quick to get us in the door to work with them and offered all kinds of incentives to join their bank so as a small business owner who was looking to partner with a bank, we went with them. What. A. Mistake. It is a very long story and I don't want to bore anyone with the details but Citizens almost caused a small thriving trucking company to close down. Thank goodness we had a savings account (with PNC Bank) to keep us operating while we fought with Citizens with no cooperation whatsoever. So, we moved all of our banking to PNC and closed every account we had with Citizens.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I've been banking with Citizens Bank for 10 yrs since I started my first job and I never had a big issue or at least what I thought wasn't a big issue. I literally got charge a $35 overdraft fee for my account being -.16. Now I called months ago to know what the overdraft policy was because I gotten mixed info from a representative at the actual bank. So I call in and get some help. I was told that if my ACCOUNT was over 5.00 that I would be charged a fee not the item.

So fast forward to now I didn't think my account would be charged for 0.16 so I called to get it straighten out. So NOW I'm being told it's the item not the account and it's nothing they can do and that they're sorry. I was told the wrong info about the overdraft policy. That does help me and I am leaving them this weekend because I am seriously done with this bank. Learn to train your employees better so people get the same information. So NOW I have to pay 70 for a -0.16 on my account. I'm not a fan of them or their customer service. And I'm only giving it a 1 star because I have to, I wish I could give them -10 because that's how I'm feeling right now.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I applied for a personal loan, it came back as Denial Letter. The reason is * the debt to income ratio reflects excessive obligations. So I called the 1888-333-0218 and asked the simple question. If I provide rental income over 75k, my income is 54k a year and I applied as debt consolidation loans why will my loan be a denial letter. (By the way my credit score was over 800.) She said, "If you put the money in your account we don't know if you will pay off your balances." "Ok, do your bank not pay off the debt?" She said no. Citizens Bank please put on your website you DON'T payoff debt if someone applied as debt consolidation. If I know that I would not apply with your bank.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

My Dad used to bank there in Pawtucket, RI. At that time, it was a nice hometown bank. Later they got so big, bought out by Bank of Scotland, that they bought our Charter One in Ohio where we had an equity line of credit. It was convenient over the years for us, but suddenly Citizens bought them. Immediately, they terminated it and charged us to close it out. If you don't pay the charge, they keep a lien against your home. They were really mean! We were told by the manager at our local Citizens bank that we could do nothing about it. Well, just like food you buy, you can do something about it, don't use their services! There are many other banks and credits unions that have helped us out.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

My son made a bid for a NYC condo and had a pre-qualified mortgage with another bank. The condo owners required we take out a mortgage with Citizens Bank, because they had "approved" the building for mortgages. Our lawyer found too many red flags with the condo association including a 2.5 million dollar loan which they wouldn't explain and a lawsuit against the builder who renovated the building. Citizens Bank asked me to co-sign the mortgage to make sure he got the loan. I was hesitant giving a bank we didn't work with my tax returns, but did so.

Citizens turned down the mortgage request without looking at me as a co-signer and asked my son to get better credit and open a bank account with them and turn over his stock portfolio to them. Are you kidding me! We were putting a 50% down payment on a condo and they wanted his stock portfolio turned over to them which is worth way more than what he was borrowing.

So thankful the condo fell through. Too many warning bells with the relationship between the condo and bank. I have to assume Citizens owns the $2.5M mortgage on the building and all the condo owners are responsible to paying off its debt. The whole transaction with Citizens was sketchy from the beginning. They are out of their minds asking my son to transfer his stock portfolio over to them. I have NO TRUST in this bank.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

Worst bank ever. Just keep adding fees and overdrafts. Don't. Notify you till 2 weeks later. That they charged a fee then add another fee. Crooks. Should not be in business. They just. Steal your money.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

My husband and I have good credit and we always pay our bills on time. We received an offer for a personal loan which we were going to use to consolidate some bills. We supposedly were approved for up to 50,000 but only asked for 10,000. We were pre-approved so when we did the rate check it did not affect our credit rating. For some odd reason when the loan went to be approved it was denied. So now it will show up on our credit report and affect our credit. I did some research to see if this is all legal and what I found is most times that you are denied for a pre-approved loan is because you did not respond quickly enough to the offer and perhaps something involving your credit has changed.

This absolutely was not the case as I responded to the offer almost immediately - if anything my credit should have been even better - having recently paid off more debt. Don't believe their commercials that you should ask a Citizen for help - the second I was denied they said bye - no other route to take or anything else. I am even more determined to pay off my debt now - I will never recommend Citizens to anyone! RIP OFF! Don't do it!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

This is for Boylston St Boston branch. On January 2, 2018 I realized I was completely out of checks despite having submitted reorder form to a teller a month earlier. I was upset as I could now not send out checks on time and requested some temporary checks but was told that could not be done. The acting mgr Mike said he would put a rush on new order of checks and they would refund the charge for all my inconvenience. He directed me to bring in the statement when the charge of $58.88 appeared and they will remove charge.

I came back when I received the statement and of course Mike was no longer there. I spoke with several people including assistant mgr and there was nothing they could do but said the manager Heidi would call me later when she arrived. I did not hear from her and called every day for a week and left message. I did not even receive the courtesy of a phone call. I don’t think they understand that customers should not be treated that way. I still have not received the credit due me.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

I’m definitely considering a lawsuit at this point. I’ve had too much taken from my account, from the hands of this Bank. Citizens literally withdrew over $3000, out of my checking account, without my permission, causing, my already scheduled bills, to be returned as unpaid, and now states that I had “insufficient funds”. The statement on their website doesn’t even say what the withdrawal was for - it says, ”Citizens’ Bank DEBIT MEMO”. Can’t wait until this bank is opened today! I’ve had enough of them stealing the money out of my account. Citizens Bank just “helps” themselves to their customers' money. Word of advice to other consumers - this bank has mystery charges, and they will take any money that they can from you, without notification, sending you into negative balance, so that they can collect more “fake fees” from you! RUN, run, run!

Citizens Bank has no shame! This bank doesn't care about their customers. I’ve been with them for 20+ years. Moving on! This bank has taken thousands of $$ in fees from myself and as I can see below, from their “one star” rating, taken from many other customers as well. Guess they didn’t learn from the last class action lawsuit. A judge will show no mercy on this Bank, it’s been one time too many. Simply incredible that Citizens continues to use these shady business practices. Guess they haven’t learned yet. That’s too bad.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

First off, I opened my bank account online. Because I didn’t open my account with a balance initially it was closed (I guess I took too long) and I had to go to a local branch. I did. Reopened my account and made a deposit. The teller and I reviewed some paperwork. I signed and that was the end of that. When Friday rolled by I went and deposited my payroll check. Not aware of this “25 day grace period”. So, there was a hold placed on the funds. I was told it’d be available that Monday. I survived the weekend. The app continued to state funds would be available on 1/22. When I reopened the app in the morning the date changed to 1/26. What?

I call customer service. They claim it was because they couldn’t verify the check. I go to the branch and ask about this verification. A different teller tells me that’s not the case. It has to do with the “grace period”. “What grace period?” I asked. I’m basically looked at like an idiot and dismissed. “Wait until Friday! Oh well” is the attitude I received from the teller. No empathy. I called a different bank and the teller over the phone. Either doesn’t like my voice, or doesn’t like my last name. I got the same treatment from her. Only one teller I can set aside. She definitely tried to help. I wasn’t made aware of any check deposit hold. Had I known I would have never deposited my entire payroll check.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I would NOT recommend this bank to anyone! I am currently banking with them and have been banking with them for about 3-4 years now. When I lived in Lincoln, after MANY times of them doing anything they could to get me to make an account with them, I finally did. At first it seemed like a great bank. Then the past year and a half I've had fishy over-draft fees. When I make a transaction, it automatically tells me my new balance on the online banking app after I refresh it; therefore, I know exactly what I have even if it hasn't gone through on their end yet except for checks of course. So, last night my balance as of like 11pm was $6.01. I went to bed and woke up and it was -$3.67, so I go to the bank to put money in before 10pm, as you have until 10pm of the day that your account goes into the negatives to put the over-drafted amount in to avoid an over-draft fee!

So, I get to the bank and they tell me that my account is actually -$38.67 and as I'm trying to explain everything to them the lady is VERY RUDE and talking over me before I even had a chance to fully explain. So, I ask her... “Is it an overdraft fee?” She says, “It doesn't show one on here,” then I said, “Well I have until 10pm to get money into the bank to avoid an overdraft fee,” and she looks over at the other teller and asks if that was actually true and she says it was true. Mind you... this is the same lady I spoke to the last time something like this happened and you would think she would have done her research after the first time... seeing as you know, she works for the company! So then she was like, “I highly recommend you bring the account back to the positives,” and I told her I don't even feel comfortable with this company having my money at this point and feel like closing the account.

She then told me that I owe so little that I could leave it as is and it wouldn't affect me in any way or go on my credit score and then made an appointment for me to talk to someone tomorrow. So then I call customer service and talk to someone who tells me the extra $35 WAS from an overdraft fee and after trying to get the overdraft fee taken off which they wouldn't do because I had one done back in September and you supposedly only get one a year, which wasn't the original deal, I spoke with a supervisor. The second she got on the phone with me she was EXTREMELY rude and I wasn't rude to her at all. She treated me like an idiot and told me that the overdraft was from a $10 check that went through. So I said, “Well if it went through yesterday then it didn't tell me on the app, otherwise I would have made it to the bank before 10pm to avoid the overdraft fee."

It didn't tell me on my app that it was negative until this morning, so I went to go correct it and they have an overdraft fee already in place? She then feeds me a bunch of lies and basically tries to confuse me to get me off subject and still VERY rude even though I was very polite (just a little stern) and then I ask, “Well if the $10 check made it go into the negatives, then why does it not add up? With the $6.01 balance I had yesterday plus the $3.67 I went negative today only adds up to $9.77.” She ignored the question several times.

I've had a bank teller tell me one time that this happened that they basically put my fund on hold for a long enough time to charge me the overdraft fee and she put the money back into the account for me. The one and ONLY honest bank teller I've ever come across with this bank! I almost let it go too, but she was actually honest with me and figured it out for me and realized they tried to basically steal from me and her being honest corrected it and gave me MY money back!

So anyways, I tell the lady on the phone that I would like to just close my account then and she said I couldn't without it being brought back to a balance of $0. So I go, “Well that's funny because the lady at the bank just told me to leave it as is and eventually it would close itself and not affect me or my credit in any way,” and she was like, “Yes it eventually would affect your credit.” And I go, “No It wouldn't and maybe you guys should stop stealing from people,” and I hung up. This has happened quite a few times too (the fishy overdraft fees). I absolutely think they are trying to steal money from people and are getting away with it!

A LOT of people don't know the 10pm rule (you have until 10pm to make your account positive to avoid an overdraft fee from the day it overdrafted) and there's a lot of bank tellers that don't know that either and don't want you to know. As soon as I can transfer everything over to a new bank I will be leaving Citizens and warning absolutely every person possible that these people are THIEVES! I HONESTLY do not trust them with my money and a lot of the bank tellers don't make you feel welcome. The customer service is the worst I've ever seen and there's no knowledge amongst the employees.

I am more than happy to pay an overdraft fee when it is actually necessary and actually my fault, but not when I know for a fact it is fraudulent. I have now got a bunch of paperwork and other stuff in place just to see if I can figure out every time that this has happened and have there be a lawsuit put in place. I know enough lawyers where this can be figured out and where they could be sued if found guilty. I see a lot of people with the same overdraft problems on here.

No one should have to pay for their own money especially when they are trying to follow all the bank's rules to a T! If I didn't see that overdraft fee before bed last night, then how do I know it didn't come out after mid-night?? Because technically I would then have until today at 10pm to fix the overdraft. Now I can't even trust the app to give me accurate information if it didn't tell me that the check went through yesterday. If my payroll check wasn't going through tomorrow then I would be done with this bank already! And from what I know... when you close an account or leave it as is... you are only responsible for the money you overdrafted, so in my case... the $3.67 are NOT their fees.

But, as for now I will deal with them and try my absolute BEST to keep an EXTRA close eye on my account, so that they cannot steal from me in the meantime. Then I will be calling a lawyer in regards to these over-draft fees. One girl has already admitted to me that they have done it to me before, so I am sure the rest could easily be revealed with enough evidence. And I am not the type to sue people and never have, but I would really hate to see this happen to any other innocent person! Stay far far away people! There are banks out there that won’t do this stuff to people!

I'm a very honest person that is doing whatever I can to keep myself and my kids and little family going. I work my BUTT OFF in college and at work to get by and this stuff with this horrific bank has put me in tears too many times trying to figure out how to pay a overdraft fee that most likely (for probably almost all of them... should have never been there anyways). And now I am just getting angry. If you have Citizens and plan to stick with them, just know your rights and keep a close eye on your account(s).

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

DISCLOSURE: Citizens Bank recently settled a lawsuit for 137.5 million for manipulating transactions to maximize overdraft fees. NOW READ THIS: I have tried to shut down my Citizens Bank account after moving from Philadelphia to Washington, D.C. where there are absolutely no Citizens Banks and was unable to. I tried to shut down the Citizens Bank account because there are NO CITIZENS BANKS IN D.C. and I exceeded the amount of money I could MOBILE DEPOSIT ($5000) and COULD NOT PAY MY RENT OR BILLS.

However, even though I asked for the account to be closed and emptied of all money so I could open a new account at a bank in D.C. so I could pay my rent and bills, I was told by Citizens Bank that the account would reopen if any deduction came through within 60 days after closing the account. 60 DAYS, FOLKS. LET ME REPEAT. 60 DAYS AFTER YOU EMPTY YOUR BANK ACCOUNT AND CLOSE IT, THEY WILL REOPEN IT! I've had a Citizens Bank account for about 10 years and I have set up everything to be automatic deduction.

So, I first checked to see what was coming directly out of my checking account and called those businesses (SPENT AN HOUR RIGHT OFF THE BAT), to update those payments to my new bank account. I also called Citizens Bank and cancelled my Visa/debit card so that any businesses deducting money out monthly would be unable to (like Lyft, Netflix, Amazon, AT&T, etc). At which point, and I AM NOT KIDDING, I was told by customer service and later corporate, that even if I cancel the Visa/debit card, the MONEY WOULD STILL BE DEDUCTED.

I asked Citizens Bank then to tell me exactly what businesses I needed to contact to make sure a deduction wouldn't re-open the closed account and result in an overdraft fee. NO JOKE. THEY COULD NOT TELL ME. In fact, after 3.5 hours of talking to corporate, I received in the mail more than a month later a thick packet of 60 pages of bank statements from April 2017 to December 2017 from Citizens Bank and, specifically, from one Ryan **, office of the chairman, phone number **, saying that Citizens Bank can't figure out which transaction will overdraw a closed account and I need to review and figure it out myself. Uh. What???!!!!

So, I spent 3.5+ hours calling and updating all vendors that I had used the bank Visa/debit card I cancelled. DO YOU KNOW HOW STRANGE THAT IS? THAT IS NOT NORMAL. Only, while I was a postdoc working in gene therapy to save lives, I accessed 2K in credit from Citizens Bank. And I was told by customer service when I asked to close the account that I would receive a coupon book so I could pay the amount back and I’ve been waiting for that coupon book to show up in my mailbox but I never received it.

Instead, what I finally received from Ryan ** was a packet 3 inches thick with 6 months of bank statements with absolutely no direction as to which vendors I should contact to cancel automatic deductions, and absolutely no coupon book, so I can’t pay off the 2k. As a result, in two days, my account will overdraw because I have been unable to put money in or close the account. And this is why this bank needs to go. You want to talk about manipulating transactions to maximize overdraft fees? Look no further. Go ahead, overdraft me, Ryan **. Three words for you: CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT. Because if this is happening to me, who else has this happened to? Judges have a lot less mercy the second time around. 137.5 million? Drop in the bucket.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I could not get a $30,000 HELOC loan from Citizens. I own two homes and only one has a mortgage. My credit score is around 725. I have had the same employer for 10 years and I have lived in my own home for 14 years. My income sources bring in around 140K yearly. So, if I can't get a loan from them then who can? This loan for a line of credit.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Bad Customer service. Finds any way to take money when they can off their customers. They do not give you updates on your own money and gives you false readings of your money on their website. By far worst bank to have money in. I will be switching banks as soon as my deposit start going to my other banks. You guys need to get your people together and stop taking other people's money.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Over 12 years banking with them and they throw you out like an old shoe. No issues until this past November and every department has a different excuse. They say one thing do another. Give an option then you're an idiot 'cause they never said that! Like I am pulling information out of my butt and making things up. I would NEVER recommend this bank to anyone. You can’t even give a disabled person their December monthly income?! Excuses and LIES!!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I could not get a $15,000 loan from Citizens. I own two homes and only one has a mortgage of 30K. My credit score is around 735. I have had the same employer for 15 years and I have lived in my own home for 33 years. My income sources bring in around 100K yearly. So, if I can't get a loan from them then who can?

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

On December 13th I reviewed my accounts online; as I am diligent in doing, and noticed a withdrawal of $3800.00 from my savings account had been made on December 8th. I called immediately to report it and was told I signed for it. I said I most certainly did not...where did this occur and was told, after being put on hold numerous times, at some in-store branch (some store I've never even heard of) in Philadelphia... I live in NH and was at work on December 8th. Then begins the whole process of filing a fraud claim. Understand, I have been with Citizens Bank for ~30 years and for the most part have always been confident and pleased with them.

Having this occur, I now know that my identity has been stolen. From where or how I have no clue, probably the Equifax breach. I have my ATM, I have my checks safely snug at home and use very rarely, I have my license from 2013. Not a duplicate. It really is scary how this can happen to you. I have many steps to go through to cover myself, but the fact that my money left that bank with a withdrawal slip, a phony license and a phony signature that is so unlike my own is unacceptable. I've now had to open up 2 new accounts checking/savings and I asked what's to stop them from doing this again? I mean do you flag the accounts or something? I got a no. They do not flag the new accounts...only the compromised ones.

Why? What good is it to flag an account that is going to need to be closed anyway? In explanation as to how it would not happen again, I was assured that whenever a transaction is made, your signature that is on file pops up on the screen and is supposed to be compared to what is presented. Very low confidence level here.

Again, I check my accounts frequently just for things like this, mystery charges and fees and I see a charge from them today for $12 for rushing me and my husband new ATM cards tied to the new accounts. Seriously? I called, not thrilled at having to spend more time on the phone; as well you can imagine is all I've done for the last week, and they did reverse the charge, it's just frustrating that they never told me there would be a charge in the first place, otherwise I would have disputed it right then and there when I ordered the new cards.

Granted, someone stole my identity of which neither I nor Citizens Bank is to blame, however there is a joint responsibility in this fraudulent activity. They have the obligation when being responsible with people's money in making damn certain that when someone withdraws that kind of money (maybe it's not a lot to some but it is to me); and the history of the account does not reflect this type of thing as normal, that extra scrutiny is applied. Had they even glanced at my on file signature; there would have been no way they would not have noticed the entire differences between those two signatures and it may have made them look much closer at the license.

As of right now I am still waiting for them to put the money "provisionally" back into my account while the investigation continues. I went to a branch and had to have a signed affidavit notarized and mailed out and received by them before they will even put the money back. Most everyone that I have dealt with has been pleasant and helpful but this is still something that I firmly believe would not have happened had professional protocol been followed through. Not to mention they may have been more apt to have caught the person impersonating me. Great way to spend the holidays and end out the year.

Citizens Bank Company Information