3.7/5 (717 ratings)

About Citizens Bank

Citizens Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens Bank?

Original review: Oct. 27, 2022

Customer service is terrible. They are completely unaccommodating. Thousands of dollars were stolen from my savings account and not a single alert of possible fraud by them. I was studying abroad and only had a limited number of minutes for international calls and they just said “too bad you’re still going to have to be placed on hold for 45 minutes plus”. They couldn’t do anything over chat, their mobile app doesn’t even have a chat option, and they essentially have one number for everything. I will be going to any other bank but them.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2022

If I could give a zero, I would. Their customer service is horrendous! They’ve had issues with just processing my payment, whether it’s online or over the phone from the beginning of this loan. Always, always gets “returned”. They had too many numbers in the account. I’ve spoken to an enormous amount of people to try and fix it, but to no avail. They would always say " Ok, it's been fixed!" but the next month, same old story. I had finally fixed it (deleted all my info and re-entered it) and the last two months, no issues.

NOW, I tried and get another loan? Guess what… I have late payments due to their incompetence… I called to speak to a supervisor, and what a joke. The girl is combative and rude from the get-go. Won’t help, and I have to prove my innocence “who’d you talk to” crap... Are you kidding me?!? I had also called earlier this morning to “someone will call you back” which no one ever bothered. I am super frustrated and devastated by their incompetence and unwillingness to help nor listen. I’m at my wit's end to what to do. My credit is damaged, and they're the cause of it. FYI, I've been waiting for the past two hours for a callback and still nothing.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2022

My wife and family built a home with Citizens. The home was transferred to a permanent mortgage over 7 months ago. We went auto pay because Citizens said, "Oh, here’s a little discount." "Ok, no problem," we said. Bank with Citizens. Well, here’s where things get super interesting. Our mortgage comes out the same time, each month, on the same day via autopay through Citizens. Citizens goes on to lock my mortgage account, report to the credit agencies, and make me lose 135 points from 800 plus to 650 give or take. The kicker here is, I am on freaking auto pay. The payment was actually received, just like it does each month. But some genius in their department did something with my payment that threw the system for a loop and it showed them it didn’t process.

Mind you, I have both the mortgage statement and the checking statement showing payment, plus where principal and interest, and escrow was applied. The October payment couldn’t process because they decided to freeze my autopay? How the hell does a company that literally has all of my money, has me set up on autopay, that can be confirmed through statements, freeze my brand new mortgage, mess with my livelihood, try to recoup money that didn’t belong to them and money that was already received, get away with this type of scamming? They essentially said they didn’t get payment and sent me to collections when in fact they did. They received the payment and now clearly much more.

I had to lay into their representatives and explain to them how I have a family, work hard, built my credit up over the years and have never missed a payment in my life. I told them that all of these issues are brand new to me and all of them are from Citizens and Citizens alone. Then they had the nerve to try and tell me my credit report was an error and they didn’t report it to them. I guess that’s why I can see a 30-59 day late payment for Citizens.

Citizens now admits that they made the mistake, and how very sorry they’re, and they can understand my frustration. I mean I can’t believe how angry I am right now with this organization. How does a bank screw up autopay from the same damn checking account that belongs to them, then go on and and try to take more money from me because they assumed I missed a payment? Honestly, banking with Citizens has been by far the worse decisions we made. I don’t recommend this bank to anyone, regardless of the nice interest rate. I would rather have a higher rate than deal with these life altering situations.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2022

Over 1 month ago someone tried to hack my online account. They were not successful but Citizens Bank locked my online account. Since then I have spent at least 10 hours with Customer Service. Most of that time was on 'hold' while they bounced my call from department to department. I also went into my local branch. While the branch manager went out of his way to help me he was caught with the very same customer service that I was dealing with. I was at the branch for more than a few hours while the branch manager spent most of his time on hold being bounced around different departments.

I have jumped through many 'hoops' to get my online account back. The problem is that when you call customer service you are always connected to someone different who has a different process that they want you to follow. In other words they keep 'moving the goal post' so you can never accomplish anything. I have dealt with customer service from many different corporations including IBM, AT&T, Verizon, Fidelity and many more. Without question Citizens' 'customer service' is far and away the very worst that I have ever had to deal with. I am now in the process of closing all my accounts with Citizens and moving to another bank.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2022

This bank rather you lose your home than to help you. I’ve sent in all documents they require and they still asking for the same documents. I had to fill out another application due to them taking so long. I applied in July this year and here we are almost in October and they still asking for paystubs that been submitted. They only care about themselves, never mind you. They are SUPPOSEDLY there to help their customer which it’s a HUGE lie.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2022

Citizens Bank at 165 Needham, Newton was totally unprofessional bank I ever visited. Two associates did not know what they were doing and did not bother to find out how to do it but were condescending, arrogant, snappy, cranky, irritable and rude. It seemed there was no limit in how far they deviate from expected professional manner.

During my visit around 315 PM, there was no other customer and two associates were idly chatting. I asked the guy to find out why the address change was not made accordingly despite the letter acknowledging address change. Instead of finding out if account address was updated in the system as I asked, he insisted that the letter says the address is updated, the address is apparently updated and there was no need to check it at all. Instead of checking it out, he pointed and read the letter three times to me. He must think that his job is to repeatedly reading letters from the Citizens Bank to customers whose intelligence is not his match to understand a letter.

In fact he was the one who was totally lost, illogical and stubborn to understand that I was asking to straighten the discrepancy in the letter and letter still being sent to old address. I told him that there was no reason for him to repeatedly pointing the line in the letter that I fully comprehend. I asked him to check if account address has been updated on the system since as of September 16, 2022, two months later, I am still getting letter to the old address. Only after asking 4 times, he reluctantly told to the female associate to check out. She was no better than him. She demanded the letter from the bank again which the male associate read three times already.

So I went through multiple envelopes with address changes from several banks to find the letter from the Citizens. However, she yelled irritably "give me any". So I handed over one from Eastern Bank. Then she says "it is not Citizen's". I told her that I was looking for the Citizen's but she asked for "ANY". It was not so difficult for her to figure that I would not have multiple letters from the Citizen's. She found that the address on the system was not updated. They did not know why and would not pursue what was next step to figure it out. Neither of them was apologetic or knew what they were doing.

I asked the guy for his name. He refused and he started rambling nonsense and lying to the customer who just walked in that he was trying to help me but I was being rude. I asked for his name again. But instead he handed over the business card of the branch manager. I NEVER experienced this sort of absolutely absurd behavior of incompetence combined arrogance at other banks. TD banks, Rockland Trust, Cambridge Trust, Bank of America and Eastern Bank treat customer with utmost respect and courtesy and get work done professionally in timely manner. Stay away from Citizens bank and this branch.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

We have an equity line of credit. We were told we were able to have a fixed rate after 12 months and now that we tried they say we cannot. A individual by the name of Alex in HELOC department had us on hold and continued to give us a hard time when requesting information. Even to get to customer service was challenging we spend 1.5 hours on this call. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE the way they treat their customers. BEWARE!!!!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2022

Several times now (over the course of roughly 3 months) I have attempted to log on to the mobile banking only to be notified that I have “exceeded the number of password attempts.” Keep in mind this message shows after attempting to sign/log on once after weeks of not logging on. I’m so tired of this issue, and of never getting a straight answer from customer ‘service’.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2022

I had a card cancelled due to fraud. Makes sense. Then the clowns at Citizens took over a MONTH to get me a replacement. I called 6-7 times, with an average on hold time of 45 minutes. They sent me a replacement, declared it stolen and cancelled it. But it wasn't stolen, it was in my hand. Then they sent me a second replacement (I asked for Priority Mail, they failed to do that), it was returned to them 2 weeks ago, but they never told me. Today is almost a month after losing my account access. I am writing this as I am on hold, again. But wait, after 1 hour, 9 minutes and 56 seconds of being on hold and passed around, they dropped the call. So, back to square 1. Hard to believe, but true.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2022

Thieves, unprofessional, the worst bank ever. Don't put your money into this bank. This is the worst bank ever. Don't put your money into this bank. I'm gonna close my account and go to another bank. A few months ago, someone stole my wallet, I did lose everything. Later after less than 1 hr, I try to call customer service, but no one answered, I did spend almost 1hr trying to find someone, but it was impossible. The funny thing is that Citizens send me a text message if I'm using my card at the CVS, and I reply no. But they let transactions go through. And the next day, I went to a branch citizens to file a claim. And they return my money to my account.

3 months later, I saw transactions called miscellaneous charges from citizens, when I call to try to find out, what was going on, they told me, my claim was wrong, and they take my money back. That agent was very rude and disrespectful, And I lose my money. Don't put your money over there, they are thieves, and unprofessional. That's why I transfer to a better bank.

Citizens Bank Company Information