Citizens Bank

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I've just spent 30 minutes of my lunch hour time trying to access my online mobile account to pay my bill that is due today. First, it didn't recognize my password. Then, when it accepted it, it told me I had no internet access, although I clearly did. Then when I switched to a desktop computer, it locked me out and informed me I'd had "too many log-in attempts" and needed to change my password. When I tried to do so, it asked for my debit/ATM card number, even though I was on the credit card log-in site and DO NOT have a checking or savings account with Citizens Bank.

This continued to happen, even after calling several numbers to try to make a payment online or get technical assistance. When I finally did think I could make a payment, I was then asked for my checking account and routing number on file (which I have used for every past online payment) which of course I didn't have with me. Again, no option to speak with a CSR for help. At NO TIME during this whole satanic, Orwellian experience DID I EVER SPEAK TO A REAL HUMAN BEING. I tried four different customer service nos. and different automated options, until after 25 minutes I SOMEHOW got through to an automated system that had my checking and routing info online and took my payment.

This is by far ONE OF THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE DEPARTMENTS I'VE EVER ENCOUNTERED. I shudder at the thought of trying to get hold of SOMEONE to try to access my online account, from which I've apparently been locked out. I am very tempted to transfer my $7k balance to another bank just from the aggravation of this alone. For god's sake, fix this and hire real people and make them an option when you call in. You are only going to lose money, not save money as you're totally robotic system was obviously meant to do.

I received and electronically deposited a refund check from my son's college into my Citizens account. After waiting for it to clear the usual 24 hours and noticing the funds were still not in my account, I called both the Citizens branch and Customer Service number. After getting the runaround for several hours (no answers as to why the delay, no calls back, false promises, and ultimately no resolution), I was told the check was suspected of fraud and Citizens had a high concern based on the financial institution and security features shown on the check that it would not clear. They said the funds won't be released until 9/19 at the earliest - 10 days after deposit! They escalated the case to the Office of the Chairman and I was told they would respond quickly... I am still waiting for a response.

In the mean time, I've contact the college (which is a VERY reputable and financially stable school in Providence) and they said there was no problem with the check. They contacted the bank on which the check is drawn (Wells Fargo) and Wells Fargo confirmed the validity of the check; in fact, they said THE FUNDS HAD ALREADY CLEARED. Yet still, I wait for the funds to hit my account or a call back, while my son away at college is without his money for supplies and living expenses. I am VERY VERY disappointed with Citizens Bank. Shame on you for fraudulently holding up my money while saying the check itself is fraudulent. This is just another good reason to do business with my small-town bank, and avoid the bureaucracy and red tape of a bank too big and ineffective to serve its customers well.

I am charged overdraft fees all the time. For example. On Monday 9/11/2017 my account was fine, on Tuesday 9/12/2017 my account was fine. Now I know there is a $300 check out there going to be cashed but as of Tuesday 9/12/2017 it was not there. On Tuesday 9/12/2017 I deposited money into my account knowing this check will eventually come through. On Wednesday 9/13/2017 they put the check through and back dated the date. It went through to 9/11/2017 then charged me an overdraft fee. The check cleared of course because I put money in the bank on 9/11/2017 so when the check actually came through on 9/13/2017 funds were available. But they still back dated the check and charged me.

This happens all the time. I go to the bank and argue about this often. I bring pictures of my bank account showing examples on how checks have not gone through then days later they put a check through then back date the checks then charge me fee. After arguing the conversations always ends with the bank manager saying they can see transactions that we can't and that why this happens. This happens very often. They get anywhere from $35 to $245 from my business account every month.

I started an account at Citizens even though my some family members and friends warned me but I fell for the SCAM. Citizens Bank charged fees for mistakes they've made. You can be charged $35 For a pending overdraft fee that hasn't happened yet. I Deposited money into my account that has overdraft protection, oh by the way they charge you $12 to transfer from your saving to cover that and then you still get an overdraft charge, who's protecting me. Try asking for a supervisor (joke) they will stick to a script or better yet maybe I was talking to a Robot. Bottom line for whatever reason you are considering Citizens Bank don't. Regardless of your financial status your money should be protected and grow. With this bank neither will happen.

I would research. Believe they advise people who care about you give and look at reviews, you can tell a pissed off Customer from someone that genuinely has concerns and issues with this Bank. There are several banks that can meet your needs. Take your time and find it. Ask questions about fees, how they occur, how the post account info and how long does their system take to see activity on your account. Be diligent. Be aware and it's your money, so take time and use a bank that understands that. Unfortunately Citizens Bank is not it, good luck. Stay informed. Btw I have 1 star only because you are required to fill in something other. Nothing about Citizens Bank deserves a star!!!

We'd like to have our escalation unit take a look into these fees for you, Sonya. Please send an email to AskCitizensBank@Citizensbank.com with your full name and phone number, so we can further review your account.

I have been a customer of Citizens Bank for over 10 years and am still appalled by the lack of customer service I recently received. I wrote a check to my brother-in-law and his wife to celebrate their wedding and help provide funds for their honeymoon. All seemed well as they cashed the check and it cleared prior to them leaving; however, a day later Citizens took it upon themselves to reverse the check. I noticed this and called customer service and am still dumbfounded by their ineptitude and lack of empathy for potentially ruining a newlyweds’ honeymoon. Long story short, their only solution was for me to write them another check. Despite them being out of the country and Citizens having the account information where they initially deposited the funds, their only remediation was for me to write another check.

I am still awestruck. I am all for fraud protection; however, how is it possible to do something without even contacting the customer to verify that fraud existed? The first customer service agent had no clue why the deposit was reversed initially, which makes me feel real safe as a customer. When escalated to a supervisor their only response was that my signature didn't match what was on file. I am no handwriting specialist; however, I cannot imagine that my signature has changed that much in my 35 years... and even if so, I cannot imagine that it would be acceptable to do such a reversal without any contact with the customer. So imagine a bank that couldn't care less than newlyweds are out of the country with $1000 less then than think they have to spend; and claim to have their hands tied with no possible means to rectify an error on their end. If this is acceptable to you, by all means bank with Citizens. If not, then feel free to join Wells Fargo like I just did.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens Bank?

I being a customer for over 10 year and never had any problem with Citizens Bank. The bank teller are so nice and honest. They are always there to help and answer all your questions.

I have been with Citizens Bank since I was 12 years old!!! I opened the account with my mom, I have been very loyal to them and can't believe what has happened before my eyes. I was a victim of fraud and my account number routing number and debit cards were all stolen and made charges of preauthorized debit. Just a week before Citizens called me to tell me my account would have been "drained" if I didn't cancel my card, so I did. Now, just a week later I have all these charges appearing, I immediately contacted Citizens and was told I have four overdraft fees totaling up to 175 dollars! As a student who pays everything on their own that takes away my groceries etc! I have student loans with Citizen, regardless I am now waiting on my claim to come back and to quickly close my account and NEVER reopen one again.

The saddest part about this is that they can't close my account unless the balance is 0.00! So the person who has my account information can continue on abusing my account! To top it off, the first time I called I stayed on the phone for an hour and thought I was filing my claim - after I got off the phone with the representative who seemed somewhat concerned - DIDN’T PROCESS MY CLAIM! Thank god I called back wondering what would happen to my paycheck on Friday because the second teller finally processed my claim!! I am disheveled by this process! I believe Citizens Bank is a total scam and am looking into other options such as Bank of America. They seem much more reasonable... Four OD fees and not one call! Bad banking! Untrustworthy! Can’t wait to close my account! Citizens is UNETHICAL!

I received a check for $3500, inviting me to be a secret shopper. I discussed it with a teller - we both agreed to be careful about possible fraud. I deposited it, with the understanding that we would wait "at least 3 - 4 days" for check to clear. I deliberately cleaned all remaining funds out of my account, leaving only the $3500 deposit. Four days later, I returned and was told that check had cleared. Teller - different from 4 days earlier - specifically told me that the check had "cleared" and that the funds were "in (my) account". Repeatedly, she advised that money was in my account and available for withdrawal. I withdrew the cash and, as instructed, made a purchase for several hundred dollars and then wired 3K to directed recipients. It sounded strange, but I knew that Citizens Bank had reassured me that the check had cleared and that the funds were IN MY ACCOUNT!

You can imagine what happened. A few days later, I returned on another matter and was told that the check had been "returned". Citizens was now demanding full reimbursement of bounced check. I was outraged. Over next several months, I spent untold hours with managers, customer resolutions department, attorneys for Citizens Bank. Managers responded with some sympathy, but Customer Resolutions and bank attorneys replied with lies and deceit. I was told, or should have known, they insisted, that the money was just being made "available" and that the check had not cleared.

Why on earth would I have wired money if I was not told repeatedly that the check had cleared and that the funds were in my account? I had even explained the entire circumstance to both tellers! The bank next stole my social security money which came in the following week, and subsequently shut my account down, ruining my credit and preventing me from opening accounts at other banks. Their commercials about "fraud prevention" and "protection of customers" makes me sick.....

Overdrafting is a huge problem with Citizens Bank. Overdraft 1 hour you're already charged fees. That's wrong. It's highway robbery but they tell me it's ok and they're doing nothing wrong even though I put the money right back that **.

Citizens Bank has a variety of interest bearing account to serve your needs, including many types of checking that do not have fees. When your circumstances change they are willing and able to change types of account to meet your needs, even if only temporary. Their bank card services are great. Includes no fee cards with nice rewards.

The Citizens Bank financial planner was the worse. He suggested I would need $59k a year to retire and I currently bring home the same amount and save aggressively.

Citizens Bank is misleading customers about banking with them. I opened up a account and was told I should receive my card within the next few days. So I got my card and tried to activate it, and it asked me for my pin. Meanwhile I never know I had to wait for a pin to come in the mail just to access my funds. The banking agent I set with for 3 hrs failed to mention I had to wait for a pin by mail. I feel like I was tricked into opening up my account with them. Now I have to wait 5 more days after receiving my card by mail just to withdraw my funds by ATM. Whoever thought of this stupid idea need to really rethink it over. I'm closing my account with them and I will Bank with Bank of America because they allow you to setup your pin upon opening up a account.

My elderly mother received a fraudulent check drawn on Citizens Bank. I know that Citizens was not the source of the fraud, but some bad people who have now turned off their phone number. I went online to the company (Investec, a real company) who supposedly sent out this letter promising $250,000 if you call them and cash a Citizens Bank check for $2,870. I was able to search Investec and easily report the fraud by sending them pictures of the letter and check, and they already emailed me back, confirming this exact fraud, all in FIVE minutes! However, I've spent almost a half hour trying to contact Citizens Bank online, by email, by phone, trying to speak to a human being. FINALLY got through, was transferred to a fraud department and left a message because no one there could speak with me. Based on reading all the reviews I've seen here, mostly very negative, and my experience, I would NEVER set up an account with Citizens Bank.

I set up a checking account in person at Citizens for the first time, and was explicitly mislead by a banker, causing financial harm to my person. I spent 2 hours at the bank meticulously going through any expenses and fees associated with a checking account. I questioned the banker if there were fees associated with a transfer from the Citizens Acct to an external account such as Eastern Bank. They said there were not. I reiterated this question a several times in very clear language, and they stated in equally clear terms that there were no fees associated with transfers from a Citizens account to an external account. I was clear this was an absolute requirement, and that I would not open the account if it was not met. I just tried to make such a transfer online, and was hit with a 3 dollar fee.

When I called the bank, they said there is no way to make such a transfer without a 3 dollar fee, they additionally said they were unwilling and unable to make any changes to my account to fix the problem. The definition of legal fraud according to dictionary. law.com is, "the intentional use of deceit, a trick or some dishonest means to deprive another of his/her/its money, property or a legal right."

I cannot know the absolute intention of the banker, but I know they repeatedly conveyed misinformation to me, and that their goal was for me to set up an account, an action which because of the fees associated, would cause me financial harm. I can't find a better word than this to describe these events -- of course I am no lawyer, but I've been a Wells Fargo customer, and I know what it's like to be mislead about accounts, have accounts opened when they shouldn't be, and suffer other legally dubious financial harm. I thought Citizens would be better than Wells Fargo, but I guess they're all institutionally corrupt snake oil salesmen.

I deposited a check (on a Thurs) and as expected it first showed as pending. The next day it showed as fully available so I paid some bills. On Tuesday I looked online to confirm the funds had gone to the bills only to discover they had pulled back the check to "on hold" and I was negative hundreds of dollars. I called, the man I spoke to had a barely intelligible southern accent and a surprisingly terrible attitude, very patronizing, sarcastic and totally non apologetic. I felt like I was taking crazy pills. I cannot close my account fast enough but the hold won't be released for 3 more days! AAAHHH!

After having an auto-pay loan for 65 out of a 66 month term loan with Citizens Bank I received a paper bill for my final payment of the vehicle. I thought this was odd as every other payment had been automatically taken from my bank account. But I figured whatever. The payment due date was 8/1. I have a Citizens branch local to me and thought I would just send a team member to make the payment for me as I was out of town on a business trip. I was shocked when she called me on 7/28 and said the bank had refused my check because it was the wrong amount. Because it was a couple days early my check was for $1.15 more than was due.

The teller said because it was a final payment she wasn't able to give change nor would she accept the check even though it was for the correct amount on the paper bill sent to me by the bank. When we finally returned with the correct amount I then called customer service and explained what happened and how dissatisfied a customer I was. I then was told that this is just the way it is. Their computer system doesn't allow for any final payments to be automatically taken as the last 65 had been. The attitude of the people at the bank was indifferent to my situation. Offered no real explanation as to why in the 21st century they are still using ancient technology to operate a financial institution with and doesn't really care what an inconvenience the entire situation has been. I will never recommend this institution to anyone for anything.

I have an auto loan that is financed through Citizens Bank. I lost my job and I fell behind a month on my payments due to job loss. I requested a deferment, and my account has been in confusion ever since. Once I fell behind in payments, I stopped receiving billing statements. I received calls about my past due amount as that and my monthly payments were two separate things. I use the one-time online bill pay, but the amount owed online is always different than if I were to call. My point is, I want to pay my bill, but this bank will not easily provide the correct information.

My account is current and I have requested electronic statements. I was directed me to sign up for automatic bill pay. On my account, I still do not see the total balance of my loan. This is bank had made it difficult for me to keep track of what I owe. If they are making changes and pushing for people to sign up for automatic bill pay, then an e-mail would have been nice. I have to call again tomorrow to ask them to reinstate my paper statements again. This is my third time calling.

Stay away from this bank. They could care less about their customers. I deposited a dividend check with the assurance that funds would be available the next business day for my daughter who was traveling out of the country. Citizens put a 10 day hold on the check because it "didn't look typical"?? What the hell does that mean? TD Ameriprise is about 10,000 times larger than little 'ol Citizens Bank and Tackle shop. I spent 8 hours on the phone with corporate and local branch manager to no avail, although the branch mgr tried his best. They could care less that I need to get funds to my daughter's acct while she was out of the US. Needless to say, my accts will be moved to my Credit Union and I suggest all do the same!! Horrible customer service!! No stars!!

My husband and I were securing an apartment in Los Angeles (from Philly) for our daughter, who was starting a Summer Internship there. We found a safe and beautiful apartment through Craig's List. I had been in touch with the gentleman renting this apartment for several weeks. He asked that make a bank to bank transfer for the rent and then we would receive the keys.

So, on Mother's Day morning, I convinced my husband to go to the only Citizen's Bank Branch open on a Sunday in our area -- at the local Giant Food Store in East Norriton, PA. We waited in line and asked to speak with the teller in an office. The teller, Steve, was happy to oblige. Once in the office, we explained our situation. We wanted to know if it was safe to make a bank to bank transfer. I specifically asked about there being a possibility of no apartment, would we be able to get our money back. He assured us that we would. I showed him the correspondence, the bank account number at Key Bank in Seattle, etc., I asked again, "If this is fraud, are we safe to get our money back?" His response was, "Absolutely, yes!"

We wired the money, and never heard back from the scammer. We went back to the bank the next morning, waiting for it to open. No Steve, No manager available, no way to get our money back. Apparently, Steve, the teller was mistaken. Too bad for us. Happy Mother's Day to me! I went back to the branch twice after that to meet with a manager. Both times, the manager had just happened to step out. I received no phone call from Citizen's Bank, no follow-up, no apology, no explanation. I have convinced my entire family to withdraw all of our money from all of our Citizen's accounts. Shameful!

WOW! I see from all the negative experiences that Citizens Bank is ripping many many people off not just me! I am so sick of their fake fees and the way they want to mix numbers around on my account to keep charging me overdraft fees that are false. There will be another lawsuit guaranteed and I will be first in line. This can't be legal! They love to talk around and make excuses to justify their FAKE fees. I would stay far away from this bank if you haven't been a victim yet. Beware. Look how recent the dates are of all the complaints. Unbelievable! Put people's money back.

Never invest through Citizens Bank. They sold us a market-based CD that lost money until the very end of the 6 year investment period and then magically in the last 4 months of the investment, it suddenly came up to the original investment amount and then gave us 1/2 of one percent interest TOTAL at redemption time. When we redeemed the coupon, they charged us $95.00 to take out our own money and made us wait a week to receive a check sent by REGULAR MAIL, not even certified!

I cancelled with Citizens Bank Nov. 4 after I back all the overdraft and then in Feb. I go to Cornerstone and they seen everything going on. Call Citizens back and said "You owe $40." 2 days later it was $60. Go to pay them. They said it was waived and get another letter. I owe $60 and go pay it again. It taken care of. Then received another letter "You owe $200" and call and explain what going then me that I need to talk to the branch and they need to talk to each other to straighten out business. I go today to see what going on and they said they can't find it and it went into collections. Now I've to wait till Mon in betweenness both jobs. They have to call collection agency to straighten this out. Credit unions are the way to go. Never again. The worst bank ever.

I went to close my account with Citizens Bank at 251 Washington St, Attleboro. I asked for the fees to waived or some of them. There is a new Branch Manager and he looked at the account, never acknowledged me, had a miserable look on his face and said to the young lady "no". I have never had a fee before and said close the account and then told that it can be reopened and charged another 35.00 for fees if they put it thru again. Damn. If the account is closed then closed means closed. I said, "But I am closing it and that should be fine." The Branch Manager sitting next to the young lady looked at me with the worse smirk on his face. I was not pleased with this man at all. His attitude needs to be adjusted and he is NOT CUSTOMER FRIENDLY AT ALL. I will never recommend anyone to do business there.

Worst banking experience - I ended up with Citizens Bank because it has acquired a bank I liked. It seems the culture at the Citizens Bank is very tense, incompetent and inconvenient. Look at their website! The tellers are tense, especially in the North Haven branch. The management is pretty incompetent in the Middletown branch. I have not had problems with Durham, New Haven and East Haven branches. Try not to open a home equity line of credit. You cannot get out of it for 10 years! It is in the fine print. Finally I just MOVED to TD. What a difference! A bank that actually wants you to have a good experience!

Citizens Bank is a sham of a bank. I have money in my account right now, and they are telling me I have FIVE OVERDRAFT FEES! This is so stupid. I'm done with this. If these are not waived I will switch banks immediately. I am over this nonsense. I talked to a manager and they couldn't care less. Transactions on hold disappear, and he told me I should have paid attention. How dare they! I monitor my account every day. I don't make one purchase without reviewing my account. They purposely pull Funds on Hold so you cannot see them and then charge you overdrafts. This defeats the purpose of online banking! There is a Funds on Hold section, and they hide them from you. GOODBYE CITIZENS! I will tell everyone how deceitful they are. Americans deserve to know the truth.

I have been a customer for Citizens Bank for almost 13 years. 2 years ago I moved to the west coast where Citizens bank doesn't have branches. I left over $1000 on my online checking account and haven't used the account. Recently I transferred some more money into the account and discovered that they have been charging me a $5 dormant fee every month for almost a year. I have never heard about this so I called the bank. According to them, since I haven't used the account for over a year, my account became dormant and therefore they need to charge this fee every month. It looks like unless you actively use the account, otherwise, they will charge for leaving money in your account. I asked if I can get refunded and continue using the account. They refused to refund and don't really care about losing a long-term customer at all. I should have closed the account two years ago to save my money from being stolen by them!

I had a customer write me a check drawn on a Citizens Bank account. I took the check to the local Citizens Bank branch to cash it, thinking I would have to pay a 7-10 dollar fee as I do not have an account with the bank. They charged me no fee and explained they don't charge a fee. Every other bank I've been to in the last decade has charged me a fee for cashing a check if I don't have an account with them. It was very refreshing to not have to endure a fee for cashing a check drawn on one of their accounts. I recommend them for this reason.

We have had an account with Citizens Bank for over 2 decades and really haven't had to interact too much with the staff in the Sandwich office. However, our recent experience there motivated me to write to say this branch excels in customer service. We dealt with Paul **, whose title is "Relationship Manager," which is very appropriate! He is personable, knowledgeable and an excellent representative of this bank.

My review is for current experience handling a friend's bank transactions with Citizens Bank since he is disabled and unable to do it himself. I had an account with them years ago which I got rid of because of their terrible service and pitiful website. Citizens Bank is by far the worst bank I have ever used and I have three bank accounts with real banks that do not treat their customers like this.

On May 3, 2017, I used Citizens Bank's bill pay service on their website to pay one of his utility bills for $587.61. At the time it was paid I was forced into selecting a pay date of May 8 which is highly unusual since there was only a weekend and no holidays during that period. Now on May 10, I see on the utility company's website only $5.88 has been paid and that isn't even showing on Citizens Bank's website nor is there any pending charge for the $587.61. Where is the rest and why hasn't it posted yet? Their website showed a check had been sent on Monday. It is now Wednesday and it only shows the money will be withdrawn when Citizen Bank's check is cashed. This never happened before.

Whatever happened to electronic fund transfer? I could have sent a check myself and it probably would have been cashed already. Citizens Bank needs to get into the 21st Century. I pay his bills long before the due date. Citizens Bank is sitting on it for no reason. What good is a bill paying service on their website if they won't release the payment? I have never heard of putting a hold on a bill payment then paying only a small portion (the $5.88). From now on I'll pay the utility companies directly. Zero stars. They aren't worth even one star.

This is my final request to have the remainder of $235 in overdraft fees rebated to me before filing in small claims. I am being represented by Arguss Law Firm. I submitted a complaint regarding my account when I was charged over $1095 in overdraft fees in March and April 2017 even though I never elected to have overdrafts allowed on my account. I was refunded $860. I am seeking the remaining $235 to be refunded or I will bring the matter to small claims.

Citizens Bank Company Profile