Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.48/5

Citizens Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens Bank?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens Bank?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

This bank has been our bank for almost 27 years. When we moved to NH we started with them and have remained with them since. Customer Service is fantastic. I will say during this Covid-19 it has not been always easy to reach them by phone due to high call volume, but always very helpful. Also the financial group they have is great as well. They meet with you at your appointment time, and if you do not call to make an appointment they are calling you to set one up. Great bank overall.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

The staff in both locations I go to remember me and are always nice to me. Their financial advisor was very helpful during these crazy stock market times. I am not charged any fees but I do have a substantial balance in the bank so that might not apply for everyone. I enjoy the drive through options as well.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 13, 2020

Great Process, Staff and overall experience. They kept me informed about process and status of every step. They kept me informed about everything to come and any materials and proofs needed. This old Veteran can't express my gratitude for this service, especially before my double transplant.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

The bank has made several mistakes and has not corrected them even after months of visiting and calling the local branch and calling the corporate office. They stopped sending me monthly statements not by my request and continued to charge me. Although I tried to correct at local bank they never did fix the mistake. They randomly linked my husband's account to mine. Then prevented payments for school Tuition from going through which quickly started to accrue fees. We would call. They would say they fixed it and it still wouldn’t work. The branch refuses to take ownership. They send you to a corporate number and then you are ignored. This has gone on for many months. I have since closed my account.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2020

Nothing they offer or say is true. I received multiple mailings offering great rates saying I was pre-approved for a mortgage. I met every requirement and more for a construction loan. They were even going to match other mortgage companies' rates! Like I said, nothing they offer or say is true! After I paid $750 for an appraisal that came in extremely low, I waited weeks for replies to my emails. And when they did reply, I had to remind them of my loan details and resubmit documents I had submitted weeks earlier. Finally, silence for another month. Three months after I applied, I received an email from my mortgage salesperson saying I should apply somewhere else. Reason? They couldn't verify my income. My w2's that the government accepted for my taxes was not proof enough for them. They never intended to process or approve my loan in the first place. They took my $750 for the appraisal and they were done.

I was approved at Lake Michigan Credit Union 3 weeks later at 2.89%. My rate at Citizens was 4.25%. I don't understand why Citizens hasn't been investigated or convicted of fraud. I hope this helps anyone considering Citizens for any of their products. I wish I had looked them up on the BBB site where I saw 733 complaints and a current lawsuit against them "before" I applied for a loan with them.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2020

I have had Chevron/Visa card through this company for a couple of years. Never late on payments always overpaid. My limit was $1500. I paid them $1200 in June in August they lowered my limit to$330. I have 0 balance on all my other cards with other companies. I got the same lame excuse. Not enough real estate, high credit usage, etc. Unless they paid off my $458,000 home that's not true. My other cards have 0 balances. Before applying for credit anywhere make sure they don't use SYNCHRONY BANK. They did the same thing with my Sam's Club account.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2020

I really liked the branch close to me but they closed it down, and the closest branch was 25 miles away from me so I got a bank closer to home. I properly had closed my accounts in May 2020. They were trying to get me to pay service charges on the account that I had properly closed. I spent an hour on hold before and another half an hour getting the charges taken off. The gentleman who helped me was very understanding and did a great job getting the charges removed. Is this how they treat all former customers or just me?

Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

During my own experience with Citizens Bank attempting to obtain a mortgage, the appraisal came in more than $40,000 lower than the value of the home. After reviewing the appraisal report, it did not take into account that the home - which is in a flood zone - was raised more than 10.6 ft into the area and was FEMA compliant. This renovation significantly reduces insurance requirements and is an expensive renovation, ranging from $50k-150k. They refused to change the appraisal and refused to refund the appraisal fee despite their obvious mistake/completely dissimilar comps.

After researching online, I found a significant amount of similar complaints. It seems Citizens Bank mass markets their mortgage business to collect exorbitant fees during the mortgage/appraisal process, intentionally plummets the deal or prices themselves out of the deal, in an effort to earn as much revenue from fees as possible. This evidence can be found across the mortgage business as well as other business lines. They should be investigated.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

Handled by Loan Officer Jordan **. If Citizens bank believes that a preliminary deal will not go through or will not be beneficial to them, they will drop you and never follow up with you... Tried reaching out to Citizens Bank Heloc applications department because the above officer was not responding for several weeks; on hold for 1.5 hours. Called back in the morning the next day. 1 hour on hold. Sent multiple emails, called several times, left voice mails to the person above...never responded. Reached out to him a month later. Said he would follow up the next day. Did not follow up. Wasted 2 months in total because of this person and citizens bank practices. I do not like leaving bad reviews but it is not right for people to be treated this way. I would suggest to AVOID dealing with Citizens bank on any home loan products.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

Deposited state govt. Unemployment check on 7/31 $2450.00. Was told funds would be available Today the 4th when I went there yesterday. NOPE never told me up front they hold all checks for 7 business days. MY other bank I deposited the $7560 was available that day instantly. I owe a friend money and now can't get it to him until the 10th. He understands the problem. JUST make sure when you open account at reg bank you get everything explained written and signed that day.

Citizens Bank Company Information