3.7/5 (484 ratings)

About Citizens Bank

Citizens Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens Bank?

Original review: July 13, 2022

This bank charge a monthly fee for its saving accounts. I had to request and follow up 4 times to close my saving account. It takes an hour to wait to reach them on the phone. It has caused me a lot of inconveniences and consumed my time. Very unprofessional service. They will most likely run out of business someday soon.

Original review: July 12, 2022

I am another HSBC customer who was moved to Citizens, and I will be closing my account and finding an actual bank that takes its institutional responsibilities seriously. This bank is so unprofessional that its operations are almost a scam. Every single attempt at a transaction results in a freeze on the account, and a requirement to call their customer service number. Try to make a Zelle payment. Blocked. Try to add a payee. Blocked. Try to add a phone number. Blocked. Try to use the debit card. Blocked.

As per other reviews, the wait times to speak to an agent are very long, and then they often are unable to resolve the issue. Most recently their verification system was not working (a number is sent by SMS to a selected phone number), and they do not have an alternative. It means that I cannot now access the money in my account. This is not a modern national bank, but an 18th-century provincial store. I recommend never opening an account with this bank.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 12, 2022

Worst credit card customer service ever. Lost my card and reported the same day...after a 36 min hold time on the phone! Was assured my replacement was sent by express mail and would arrive within 3 business days, but it has been 7 business days already and still no card. Called customer service to follow-up and am currently on hold again. It has been 31 min already, as I type this review while on hold. Not even a auto call-back option like other banks/credit card services. The only other way to contact them is via snail mail. No email or online chat.

To top it all off, they provide zero liability protection for unauthorized transactions, so whatever the thief has purchased on your stolen card comes out of your pocket. Avoid the Citizens Bank credit card like the plague. Whatever attractive card features they offer is ultimately useless when the customer service is this pathetic. [Note: this review is specifically for Citizens Bank Credit Card Services, which is outsourced to a different entity. This is not for the bank's in-person regular service for debit card, saving/checking account, etc., that are handled by the bank's branch offices directly].

Original review: July 8, 2022

I applied for a Home Equity Line Of Credit with Citizens Bank on March 14 and was assured that everything looked good and I would be closing on a loan within 30 days. Then they started asking for this document and that document. They changed the loan servicer 3 times and never returned my calls. It's been 4 months and finally I was able to get a hold of the original sales person I dealt with on the phone. He told me the loan was just turned down today which sound like a huge coincidence. This bank is a huge waste of time. I would never give them my business after the way they treated me.

Original review: July 8, 2022

Do not get a mortgage from Citizens. They lie about everything. Very disorganized company. My loan closed months late. Now they are charging me for flood insurance when my house is not in a flood plain.

Original review: July 5, 2022

I had been with HSBC for about 18 years and they closed. Prior to them closing I closed all my accounts and apparently all my info was transferred to this bank. I have always kept all my accounts are on auto-pay with HSBC and I missed one credit card and it charged to my HSBC account, welll apparently it did not, Citizen found the opportunity and claimed I had the account with them, so there was an overdraft fee, plus the charges for having a checking account I never opened. SO now I am in collection and they stated to me that HSBC sold all my info so they are entitled to all these charges.

Original review: July 1, 2022

Every time I paid off a loan, Citizens took forever to issue the necessary paperwork. They had no trouble taking my money, which I paid promptly. But the minute I needed a letter stating I had paid my loan in full, the service was horrendous. Each time, I would call, get put on hold forever, get transferred, and then hung up on. When I got hold of a supervisor, all I got was a No-Can-Do attitude. They don't care if you have an urgent time-sensitive issue, such as a house closing. They just tell you Back Office will get to it in 5-10 business days, which means I won't get the necessary documentation for a month. And there is nothing else that can be done. Customer Service reps have very limited training or knowledge, and sometimes they're also rude. Do yourself a favor and bank anywhere else.

Original review: June 28, 2022

STAY FAR FAR AWAY FROM Citizens Bank. I was ripped off by a scam companies. The company is Universal Health Share. They had been charging my credit card $344.00 every month. I went to my Doctor for a checkup and some Lab work. Bills were sent to Universal Health Share and they never paid one cent. After months and months of call and bills being sent by the Doc. office and myself. I had to pay all the bills myself. I called Citizens to cancel the credit card and file a claim.

The Citizens Rep said I was ripped off and this sounds like a scam and someone from Citizens would call me in 48 hours. Citizens never called. I called Citizens several more time and Citizens said each time someone would call me. Never got a call but did get a letter that said because I sign up for the service they found in favor of Universal Health Share. This is nuts. I talked to the manager at the Citizens branch I go to and she said that was nuts and I was ripped off and she would get this taken care of ASAP. Citizens never did anything to help and I never got 1 cent back... STAY FAR FAR AWAY FROM Citizens Bank.

Original review: June 24, 2022

This bank system and their customer service line is by far the worst. Their online banking is very outdated and they will stop/suspend transaction for no reason and they will do that whenever they feel like doing it. Their customer service is atrocious due to lack of operator's knowledge. When I call them to resolve an issue they had no idea what I'm talking about. They will put you on hold for an hour and they will transfer your call to another person and they will ask you for your personal information again. I do not recommend this bank to anybody. Please avoid this bank at all cost.

Original review: June 9, 2022

Being transitioned from HSBC to Citizens during a GLOBAL PANDEMIC, with no option to look into other banking institutions to fit my needs during the transition, Citizens leaves a lot to be desired, especially for us Americans living overseas.

1- Expats or Americans living in other countries cannot create a log in because we are not on the American continent, we have to call INTERNATIONALLY to make a query.
    2- THE INTERNATIONAL CALL wait time minimum is 1 hour. EXPENSIVE OUT OF OUR POCKET.
    3- Service reps have no idea how to tend to International banking problems. It is all scripted and are usually thrown off when asked a certain question or question is not on script.
    4- I am being charged a percentage atop their foreign currency exchange rate commission averaging over 60$ a month, thievery in every sense of the word.

5- THEY NEVER USE FEDEX when they claim they do.

I WILL SOON CLOSE MY ACCOUNT. The New bank fraud for year 2022 is named CITIZENS BANK.

Citizens Bank Company Information