1.13/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

373 Citizens Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I went to sleep my account was positive. In the morning it was negative, one hour later I was about to pay the negative and boom they charge me $35 fee and they post the account was negative the day before. I don’t know if they are magicians but it helps them rob their customers with no shame. I’m closing my account right after I start receive direct deposit into another account from my job.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

So I open an account with the promise that I would get a $200 sign up bonus incentive. I sign up in August and was required to have a direct deposit set up to receive the incentive. I set up my direct deposit right away and started having money put into this account on October 1st. I was told I'd get the incentive within 6 weeks, after 6 weeks I went into the branch and they said it's 90 days. I wait 90 days and still nothing. I go back into the branch and they say, "Just wait another week and it'll be in your account."

Another week goes by and nothing and we are beyond the 90 days. I go back into the branch and they make a call to find out where the money is and apparently since my account went in to the negative for a very short period of time that it cancels the incentive. Guess what Citizens if you gave me the incentive like you promised my account wouldn't of went into the negative!! I've had nothing but bad luck with this bank, everything from them having a horrible ATM lock on their door to horrible ATM machines. Not only that but the notary at the bank (Mike) actually tried picking up my wife while she was trying to get something stamped. Guess what Citizens I was gonna put all my tenant income into your bank but you lost out big time! I'll take my business to a real bank next time. Oh yea my auto loan I had with you is being moved also. Thanks for the horrible experience.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

In Sept 2017 I opened an auto loan account, everything was ok except their site is not user-friendly. I made payments on time every month like a good customer. In October 2018 my daughter had an accident in the car and it was totaled. My insurance company very quickly sent a payment (less than one week after the accident). Because there was still a balance on the loan I continued to make payments. I had GAP insurance which requested several documents before issuing a check. I got everything I needed from each place EXCEPT Citizens Bank.

I called them to get my payoff statement and payment history, and after being placed on hold for over an hour they told me it would be sent. Nothing was sent. I called them once a week for the entire month of November and no one could send me these simple documents. Finally, I got them to fax them to me and after three attempts they got me the correct documents. Great I could get gap to pay them off. I paid November's loan payment. Two weeks after GAP sent the check to pay off (which was over the amount owed). They finally cashed it and applied it to the account. The balance was zero and the account closed. However I also canceled out the extended warranty and they mailed a check to my home addressed to myself, my husband AND Citizens Bank. So I had to endorse the check and mail it to Rhode Island. Citizens bank told me that they would just endorse the check and mail it back to me. THAT never happened.

They cashed the check, wrote my account number on the front but did not deposit it into an account of mine. In fact, no one knows where the money is. After a month they finally sent me a check for the amount. It was a Citizens Bank check. fine whatever, I have the money. Or so I thought. I deposited that money into the account at Navy Federal Credit Union which is my normal bank. Well, Navy Federal put a hold on it until it cleared which is fine because that is normal policy. However, three days later CITIZENS BANK placed a stop payment on this check, throwing my account into the red and activated my overdraft account.

I immediately called Citizens bank and their response is, "We will have to investigate where that check is. We do not know why you even got a check." I told them it was warranty cancellation money and it was owed to me. "Well, our BACK OFFICE has to investigate which can take 7-10 business days". So as it is right now CITIZENS BANK has stolen my money and refused to give it back. I need that money. I feel so taken advantage of right now.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Have accounts and loans with Citizens Bank. They reported 30 days late on 2 loans. One from 7 years ago and another from 2 years ago. Both paid off and my credit score fell. I take issue with the one from 7 years ago being reported now, along with the newer one. Lesson learned. So worse interest rates for me but good news for my new bank.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I needed to contact someone about my account and have made 4 calls and have been redirected every time until the call is finally dropped on their end. Literally hours wasted! They are quick to take your loan application but impossible to contact.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens Bank?

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I came across this review board somehow searching Google. I have been using Citizens Bank for a little over a year. I have 3 accounts with them, the standard OD service and as long as I use the accounts & transfer at least one cent to each one via their transfer from account to account I NEVER get a monthly fee. As far as overdrafts, I know the rules and I agreed to the terms. If I do OD my account I have 11 hours to put the money in to cover what I overdrew and only after 11 hours there will be a 35.00 fee. If I put the money in within the time frame they allow I have NO fee. The CS has always been friendly, kind, knowledgeable & courteous. They are human beings. Treat others as you yourself want to be treated. Anyway, I love this bank.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I use this account only for my small side business. I only put money in and take the same amount out. Well, I find out today that my account got overdrawn for .37¢. Yes, .37 CENTS!! I was charged a total of $160 in fees for this small error!!! Things kept snowballing. I was able to get two of the $35 fees refunded, but I am still being charged $90!! This is completely unacceptable. I guess this small petty change error really hurt Citizens Bank to cover. Not once did I even get a letter sent saying that it was short .37¢. Talk about robbing the customer with fees!!! I don't even write checks from this account.

Obviously the customer does not mean anything to them. I was told that it is all computer generated. I get that may be so, but they could and did see that it was such a small amount and they could of waived all of these charges. Well, it's apparent my small error really put Citizens in a financial bind that they had to gouge my pockets for this high ridiculous amount!! I will be going elsewhere and telling everyone I can of their tactics!!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

Terrible experience. Had 6k stolen with fake checks from my account. I reported the fraud the day after the fake checks cleared. Was told 6-8 weeks until the money can be returned and it’s now 10 weeks and I just get the runaround when I call. Opened a new account at a local bank and am leaving Citizens Bank. Garbage bank. Stay far away.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I call the bank about a transaction that I do not recognize on my account. The representative provides the merchant name and telephone number. When I called the merchant in Sioux Fall and indicated that they had charge my account for services I do not have as I am located in Pittsburgh; the merchant told me that the Accounting Department would not be in the office until later. I called the bank back and indicated that the charge was fraudulent based upon the information I received. Since the transaction was pending the representative stated that she could not stop the transaction. I requested to speak with a Supervisor. The supervisor verified the information and indicated that I had been given the wrong information about the transaction. After she provided the corrected information, I was able to confirm the transaction. I requested that she remove the dispute and hold on the account. She stated that she would.

In the next week I remit payment to the same merchant and this payment was reversed because the bank had a hold on the account. I started calling around 11:00 a.m. Eastern time and continue to call to get a representative who understanding processes within Citizens Bank. Each experience is consistent: 1. Long hold time. 2. representatives who lack adequate training and tools to hear and perform their job. 3. Be prepared to constantly repeat yourself. 4. Inaccurate information and indifference (not mean spirited) tone death. Representatives in the Dominican Republic should be trained to handle Tier 1 and Tier 2 calls. Horrible experience. I have to shop around for a better service today or I will lose my mind with Citizens Bank. It will be noon soon and I still do not have the issue resolved. One hour to resolve issues is unacceptable.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

You open an acct. they vaguely go over the details. Then a year later when you haven't used the acct. for several months instead of them sending a letter or email or dang pigeon at least to let you know they are charging dormant fees...they just start at 9.99 a month. Now they've taken close to 100 from me and only refunded last 2 charges. Thanks Citizens for NOT taking care of your citizens. If it could be half a star they'd get that.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I have had a Home Equity with Citizens Bank of PA for over 15 years. Recently was unable to balance my monthly statement, $50 discrepancy. Called told that they started adding in that amount to balance which is the amount they estimate the recording fee's to be "WHEN" I pay my loan off. Has anyone else run into this situation? I am not paying my loan off at this time, so this charge has not been incurred. This will be charged when I pay my loan off, right now I am paying additional interest on $50. I would like to hear from other Citizens Bank customers who have run into this situation.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I have an account with Citizens Bank for over 2 years now. They are not clear when you open an account and will charge you a lot of ridiculous fees. I will close my account with them in a couple days. A customer shouldn’t feel unsecured or worried when it comes to banking. Bye Citizens, you suck.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

In August of 2018, my information was stolen and someone stole $800 from my account. It took Citizens a month to get my money back to me! When I called to report the transaction (you can't do it online like at USAA), the representative asked me several times if I made the transactions. They told me that I needed to contact the place where the charge was made, but I didn't have an account with the unauthorized business that made the charge. Finally, after calling twice, they got around to investigating to find that I didn't authorize the charges.

Now, roll forward to December 2018, I log into my account and once again, my money has been stolen. I called immediately and the lady asked me if I called Capital One. I do not have a Capital One account so why would I call them first??? She filed a claim but told me that it will take 10-15 days to investigate and get my money back. This is ridiculous. All the other banks I have had always give back the money while they investigate and then if deemed to be an authorized charge, they take the money back from the account. I am absolutely finished with Citizens Bank and will never recommend their services after this! My money has been stolen more there in the past 6 months than it has in the 8 years I have had an USAA account. (The only reason I had it was to have a local bank to put cash into.)

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

If I could I would give them zero stars. My father had problems with Citizens Bank rolling over a CD for another year and not notifying him, then I had a POA (legal document but was from 1999) and it literally took 3 hours of running around to satisfy them, and now my father passed away a month ago. I am a named beneficiary-confirmed by my father and the bank during the POA mess. Citizens Bank was informed a week ago, all the documents they asked for were sent- death certificate, photo id, and will that names me executor, and NOTHING has been changed on the accounts. And when I mean nothing, I mean NOTHING.

My dad's name is still on the account and I'm named the trustee. I call the local branch this morning and talk to the manager. He says he hasn't seen any paperwork faxed and that he is busy and will call me back. Well guess what? I'm still waiting. DO NOT open an account or do any business and that means brick and mortar banking, online savings accounts, credit cards, etc. They are an absolute nightmare and I have no idea why the Feds haven't shut them down.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I deposited a valid check on Nov. 6 and 6 business days later it still has not cleared. I'm closing my account as soon as the check clears. In this digital age of banking there is no excuse for taking this long to cash a check that has been deposited. I have 4 other banks I do business with and after depositing checks with them they clear in 1 or 2 business days. Citizens Bank is a fraud.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I had three checks clear my account that I did not write. On October 24th I reported this to my branch and they started the paperwork with the fraud department. I was told that it will take 6 to 8 weeks to resolve. I called at the end of November for an update and I was told it was being worked on and reminded of the 6 to 8 weeks. On December 5th I received a letter dated 12/1 stating they have reached out to the other bank. I call the number on the letter and was told that they did nothing until 12/4, remember I reported this on 10/24 and a letter dated 12/1 stated they started the process. I was then told the 8 weeks is a minimum and they have no idea how long this process will take and it takes what it takes. It could be tomorrow or 3 months from now.

I asked to speak to a supervisor. Was hung up on. I then went to my branch and they said the manager was out but they would speak with the regional manager. I have heard nothing. I don't know but 1000 dollars out of your account at Christmas is a lot. But to be treated so rudely is shocking. I was shopping them for mortgage but that is not going to happen. This bank is rude and does not care about their clients.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

My payroll check is deposited electronically the first of the month. They rolled back three automatic payments to the 30th of Nov to adjust for the weekend. I manually went in and changed the date back to December knowing there would not be money in that account until the first of the month. They overrode my manual change and paid all three on November 30. Which sent my account into overdraft. I called on November 30. Spoke to foreigner who put me on hold and then came back and said sorry for the delay then disconnected me. I immediately called back (drilling down through the normal menu and waiting my turn for 10 minutes) and spoke with Dawn of Pittsburgh. She confirmed that there was enough money for the first $50 payment and the second $350 payment. The third $1400 payment caused the overdraft.

She said when the overdraft charge appeared on Monday to call back and they would refund because of my long-term history with the bank dating back to 1970 Mellon Bank. On Monday Citizens rearranged those bill pays. They first took the $1400 which immediately threw my account to overdraft. So then they charged two more overdrafts for the two smaller deposits. Now there are three overdrafts. I again called and spoke to three separate people over an hour. While we were on the phone I was told by Eugene there were no notes from my conversation with Dawn??? (no surprise) and they would elevate this issue and return my call. They also told me that I probably forgot to hit save when I made those date changes (really??) and I told them I am certain I actually went back in twice to make sure the date was correct so I would not overdraft.

They also told me that I probably made the change too late and the payments were on their way. I reminded them that their system does not allow me to make changes to the dates when their system is tagged “in process”. This was 9 AM on Tuesday and I never received a return call. Wednesday morning they returned one overdraft fee without making a return phone call. Not to mention I had to call my mortgage company and explain the situation so I was not charged a fee for making a payment with no funds in the bank. First, they changed and overrode my payment dates causing overdraft. Second, after the fact and two payments were made they rearranged the dates so now three overdraft fees instead of one was reflected. Three, they never returned a call. Four, they told me there was no record of my call with Dawn. Five, tried to make it my mistake that I forgot to hit save.

Six, they tried to make the excuse that I changed the date while the payments were already on their way which is impossible to do in their system. This exact same thing happened to me 10 years ago when they charged me five overdraft fees. I am elevating this to my Government representatives, and FDIC, Citizens executives, State insurance department. They are holding me hostage for two $35 fees because of their mistake. No way would I entrust them to my 401(k) nor my two pension rollovers nor my mortgage. I am not incompetent nor careless. I hold a BS Engineering degree and I am a manager for 40 years conducting million dollar contracts for in a major nuclear corporation.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

Everyone quick to blame the next person on a claim I made about a charge from Secretary of State that gave me blank license plate tabs and so I went to another machine that gave me what I wanted. I called to get a refund on the first charged and this guy says we have to put it in a fraud. Well 4 months later Secretary of State didn't get paid and I no longer have a legal vehicle. Citizens Bank admits it's their fault but won't help me in any way. Now I have late charges and no way to work. Thanks a lot Citizens.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I’ve been banking with them since June and haven’t had any problems up until now. When I deposit my checks they take at least 3+ days to clear. As I start making purchases, I notice they pend for a couple days then go through, but my balance doesn’t accommodate to what I’ve spent. My balance was $218 until I spent about $20 yesterday but when I check my account it says I have $219 (No I didn’t deposit any money) and the purchases are nowhere in sight/still pending... They try to post/hide your purchases until you spend too much and end up in the negatives! Some purchases won’t even show up until a few days, then I realize I spent way past my limit since it shows my balance as more than what it actually is! Any tactic for them to get extra money, they’ll use it. Be careful with this bank.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I went into the Citizens Bank branch in the Walmart at 2101 Blair Mill Rd Willow Grove, PA 19090 and asked if I could deposit or exchange $35.00 of rolled coins I rolled the night before from all the loose change in my car. When entering the branch there were 2 young tellers sitting at desks talking to each other and made me feel as though by coming in...I was disturbing them. I told them what I wanted to do...and immediately the one teller said they would only do anything if I had an account (which I do have). Before I could even answer, she asked how much rolled change I had... I answered then she asked the other teller if she needed change and if she did then to take it but if she didnt then they couldnt help me.

SO, I looked at her and asked, "If you dont need any change (coins) other than at banks where do you suggest I deposit or exchange rolled coins?" To which she replied, "To the other teller." "Ok you can take $20 of it but you have to count it all out." Then looking at me...she said, "'cause I'm feeling nice". SO, while they were counting change (of course we all know what a terrible burdening hardship it is for a banker to have to count money)...she "did me a favor" by accepting the remaining $15 I had in rolled coins.

Sarcasm - I am so thankful that Citizens took pity on my low petty wrapped coins as to accept them and convert them into paper currency. I realize the 1:38 it took to count such a bounty was extremely taxing on the tellers (it took both of them to count $35) and I apologize from the bottom of my heart to Citizens Bank for having the audacity to actually go into one of their branches to perform a minute banking transaction. Seriously - It is clear that employees of Citizens Bank are NOT trained well in dealing with customers. At this branch you can match the professionalism with that of a public playground...in the bad side of town. Question - I will leave this one open ended. Can Citizens answer this question for me? If not at a bank...where do people go to deposit or exchange rolled coins?

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I wrote out my loan check for $1,100 just like I do every month. This morning I woke up to an $11,000 cashed check! I pulled up the check to make sure I didn’t make a mistake, and clear as day it was written for $1,100. I called them and they said I need to contact my bank and file a claim (that will take 10 days to rectify) and that they cannot help me. I spoke to a supervisor and she sat there over and over telling me there is nothing they can do. So this bank makes a mistake and I have to have my bank make them fix it? Right in time for the holidays. I do not recommend them for any customer issues or any concerns you have. Maybe because I don’t use them as a bank and only have a loan through them that is their reason to not care, I don’t know. However, after this experience, I will never use them for anything ever again! Terrible treatment of someone who pays on time every month with no issues ever!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

This is the worst bank ever!!! They steal my money with 35 dollar overdraft fees and I had a refund from Amazon they never processed so therefore here come 35 fee because of their mistake! Be aware. Don't use this bank.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

Citizens Bank is so shady! They literally would post a transaction the next day and backdate it just so they can charge you an overdraft fee! And then they claim that it was not a bank error and try explaining that to a manager. This happened to me twice!!! And they literally take forever to post a transaction just so you can make more purchases and then overdraft your account! I also deposited money to my negative account within the same day and they still gave me an overdraft fee! If I didn’t call in the next morning, they wouldn’t have refund the fee! They literally steal your money through overdraft fee and I’m literally going to close this bank tomorrow. I had it for less than a year!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I have used 0% promotional periods for credit cards. I used their 0% promotional checks they send to current card members. They're the only company that charges interest if you don't pay in full on balance transfer fee. I've had credit cards since I was 18... I HAVE NEVER HAD TO PAY THE BALANCE TRANSFER FEE IN FULL IN ORDER TO QUALIFY FOR NO INTEREST.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

On 11/14/18 I personally opened in my name a 15 months CD at the Kendall Sq. Branch (#841) in Cambridge, MA. When it came to setting up a routine "Beneficiary Payable at Death", the Manager [D.K.] refused to accept a 'Trust' established over 14 years ago, until I present IN PERSON the original document. My explanation that the document is presently stored with other legal papers with my lawyer, and I DO NOT POSSESS it anymore (but know all details!), was not convincing. As this whole transaction took place in a rather 'customer unfriendly' atmosphere, I decided not to press it any further, and next day called Citizens Bank Customer Service.

After a very lengthy process, I ended up talking to a Supervisor Alexandra **. who told me, that a "special form has to be filled out and this form is available ONLY in person at any of the Bank's branches and cannot be mailed to me ahead of time". She refused to provide me with either the e-mail address of the CEO of the Bank, Mr. Bruce Van Saun, making it impossible to file appropriate complaint.

It has to be added that at this time I own several CDs with FOUR OTHER BANKS, where the same Trust is indicated as "Beneficiary Payable at Death", and in no case was I forced to make repeated personal appearances, fill out special forms or present original Trust documents. Despite my rather advanced age (almost 85) I will probably have to take my chance to survive for next 15 months, as to comply with the Citizens Bank mindless rules and/or personnel is a bit difficult.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Citizens Bank has been stealing my money through overdraft fees. It is never the right balance on the account. I have been fighting with them so they can refund me but they refused. I closed the account. Worst bank to deal with.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I am banking with Citizens Bank branch located at 125 Stephenson Hwy, Troy, MI- 48083, Stephenson and 14 mile Road in Troy, MI for almost 1-2 years. I am a business bank account holder with this bank. Worst exp ever with any bank in my last 15 years. I had to get in touch with the manager in the absence of ** (nice guy, who always been kind and helpful). I called ** for a reference letter on 11/8/18, he said it's only manager, **, who is authorized to do this and he is out of office till 11/13/2018. When I talked to ** on 11/13, he said that to fax or scan email any such reference letters is against their policy and need to be collected physically at the branch.

I requested him that if he could have someone ready, he said it will be prepared and just matter of 5-10 mins and I explained him, I will be in a hurry and would be able to spend no more than 15 mins, need to leave by 3:20 for another important thing and he accepted and assured saying OK and will pass on the message to some called Ms. ** and it shouldn't take more than 5-10 mins. However, I am prepared to spend even 20 mins or more if needed and agreed to meet up at around 3:00 PM.

I went there at 3:05 PM, there was no one even showing up, that's ok. They are busy... There were 2 ladies serving customers at the cash counters and then I walked up to a lady when they both got freed up with their cash counter work and explained that ** wanted me to meet up with ** for a reference letter and that lady said, "Well, the other lady by her side is **," and said she is busy with some other work in spite of me explaining the sense of urgency and what's surprising was the lady ** kind of giving "ohh what?" kind of looks to the other lady and not even care to communicate with me for courtesy sake. She asked me to wait until she finishes her other work where that lady ** went into her back office I guess from the cash counter saying, "I have other work to take care."

I waited to 5-10-15 mins. No one came up and what's surprising was none of them at least had a courtesy to come up to me or communicate to me about anything... I have been banking with Chase (Previously Bank one) for almost 14 years (of course have all our personal and other business accounts with them), never I even had to experience even 1% of this in my entire 14 years. In spite of there are a few or many good people, some careless employees really bring bad name to the bank by choosing to serve their customers such unprofessional way and yes, I am almost decided to draft a complaint to corporate and done with banking with this because of this reason and will sure not be hesitant to share my experience with others... PS: Excuse verbiage and typos as didn't have time to proofread.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I have been a loyal Citizens Bank customer for over 10 years without any complaints. I've experienced 3 account hacks in the last 3 months, each time resulting in a frozen account and not having access to my money. I wouldn't be upset if I did something to jeopardize my account, but by their own admission (and an official warning sent out by the FBI) they've been experiencing system wide hacks where hackers get into the bank's system and are able to alter your account, making charges that can look normal so you and the bank won't notice. 3 times in 3 months is insane. 3 debit cards, 3 bank accounts, 3 new direct deposit forms. The holidays are around the corner and I can't access my own money without being on hold with customer service for hours. I'm closing my account immediately.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I recently opened a checking account with Citizens Bank in August and have had nothing but issues since. Citizens Bank website is always under maintenance making it nearly impossible to gain access through the online banking feature. The few times I have been able to access my account online the account balance takes forever updating after making a transaction or will read that transactions cannot be displayed at this time. When trying to call and inquire about my account balance via the customer service number it will mention they are having technical difficulties accessing my account and connects me to a representative. I have spoken to at least 5 different reps about these same issues and they apologize and submit a complaint but so far nothing has changed. I have already opened another checking account with another institution and am closing down my account with Citizens ASAP. I do not recommend this bank!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2018

So here it is on a Saturday morning and I go and try to deposit balances from Venmo and Square. Turns out that they were both rejected because Citizens Bank is DOWN. I cannot use my debit card for anything. No withdraws and no deposits. This has been an almost weekly thing with Citizens.

Citizens Bank Company Information