3.6/5 (312 ratings)

Find Banks and Credit Unions partners near you

About Citizens Bank

Find Banks and Credit Unions partners near you

Citizens Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens Bank?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens Bank?

Original review: April 30, 2022

I went inside the Citizens bank in Oak Park Michigan and 9 mile rd. to deposit a check. Was told by another customer the machine inside was acting up (not working). I went into the bank and was told by the Manager the system was down. I then walked out after saying I would just go to the drive-up window. I went to the drive-up window and attempt to deposit my check, and the machine took my card and check at the same time while shutting down on me. I asked the same lady if she could have someone in the bank to assist me, and I was told by the customer the manager said a repairman had to open the machine on Tuesday 4 days later.

I was so disgusted I went into the bank and asked the manager Lakesha ** and staff why aren’t they assisting customers with these two machines that aren’t working, and why are customers helping me more than staff. I asked, “Why not just place a piece of paper over the broken machine informing customers of the temporary issue."

I then walked out and called Corporate Office to put in a Claim for my card and check in addition filing a report against the manager and staff. Of course, I will NEVER go into that branch on 9 mile and Coolidge ever again. Because, I work hard for my money. It’s sad that some folk have forgotten how to provide good service.

Original review: April 21, 2022

I was an HSBC customer and I had no choice but to transition to Citizens Bank after being with HSBC for 20 years. I went overseas for vacation and I used my debit card as usual at the supermarket, restaurants etc. I noticed after my vacation all the Foreign ATM or Pos FEE "exchange fees" for every transaction I made. The fee amount they charged me varied from $2.24 up to $4.50 (I made 10 transactions with my debit card and they charged me 10 post fee transactions). I have never been charged for using my debit card out of the county with my previous bank HSBC. The country I went to visit use Dollars not a foreign currency. So, I had to pay fees in order to use my own money. I'm very disappointed on how Citizen's bank steals money from customers.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 18, 2022

Good heavens - yet another reluctant ex-HSBC customer based overseas. Citizens Bank has the worst customer service I've ever experienced. First, hold times to reach anyone on the phone is never less than an hour - never. No matter what time you call. Morning, night, doesn't matter - you'll wait an hour. There is no way to reach anyone by email or through any other channel. Second, no one on the other end of the phone has any idea how to help you. The first time I tried to transfer money out of my new Citizens account, my transfer was flagged for fraud.

I received an automated email telling me to call customer service to unblock the transfer. I called customer service on two separate occasions to provide the information they wanted, waiting an hour both times to talk to someone. Both times I was told there was no problem, and I had received the email in error. Yeah, no. Three days later, the transfer was rejected because I hadn't provided the requested information, and my access to my online account was locked. I am now stuck overseas, have no access to my funds at all, no access to online banking, and I've been sitting here on hold for an hour. I have tried to contact them on Twitter, tried to email everyone at the bank, even written their executives on LinkedIn. No reply. Absolutely awful. RUN.

Resolution response: April 20, 2022

Resolved.

Original review: April 15, 2022

https://www.citizensbank.com/student lending/scholarship.aspx. As a ** man, why am I being denied an opportunity to help further my education? How is this not racial inequality? I'll make sure to find bank who accepts all races. Citizens should be ashamed.

Original review: April 8, 2022

I had been an HSBC customer for 15 years when Citizens bank acquired my account. I was a satisfied HSBC customer because they offered international wire transfers with online banking and a mobile app to securely manage my funds. Unfortunately, citizens bank only offers telephone banking for international customers with no way to provide us with access to our funds. Citizens provides no methods for transferring money overseas.

As international customers we can only call to check our balance, and are prohibited from using the app and online banking resources. A bank unable to provide access to funds is a worthless bank. To ask any questions or to make any changes to the account we must wait on hold for an hour to speak to the unskillful staff who are unable to provide any assistance.

Besides the horrible banking experience due to the complete lack of services needed by international customers and ridiculous hold times to speak to incompetent agents, citizens bank accounts do not pay interest and charge high fees unless high standards are met. In conclusion, if you are considering an economically sound bank account that features convenient ways to manage your money, run from citizens bank as fast as you can. It's a disaster.

Original review: April 8, 2022

Ex HSBC customer whose checking/credit account was transferred to Citizens Bank. Debit Card arrived 6 weeks late, followed by Credit Card. Unable to activate/use Credit Card as I don’t have an SSN. No communication about this from citizens bank. Excessive hold times for a customer service advisor. Luckily I was able to open another US Bank account so if Citizens are still useless in three months time I will transfer everything from Citizens to reduce the risk that this banking transfer has created. On paper Citizens Bank looks like a really good bank. But this is let down by their abysmal customer service.

Original review: April 8, 2022

I reside outside of the US and I relied on monthly wire transfers to my foreign bank. Due to streamlining operations, my account was turned over to CITIZENS BANK. First impressions are important. My first interaction with CITIZENS BANK was a phone call to get some info on how they handled international wire transfs. I was greeted by a yelling man chastising me for repeated phone calls. (I guess they have a quota) I took the high road and explained I was being proactive and looking to find out about wire transfers. She asked if I had an account number. (I did not since the bank sale was still in transition). Their operator told me to call back when I had an account....not a great start.

The next episode was trying to contact CITIZENS BANK to set up my account. Wait times were "up to one hour" at the best of times. More than two hours was common. Often you were disconnected or put on hold with the person on the other end never returning. (I spent a small fortune on international calls). My online experience was awful as well. The IT guy meant well, but when I entered a new US phone number for personal verification, my previous foreign number appeared, so I was never able to access my funds online and phone access was next to impossible.

On to the next chapter: I remembered a seldom used US-based credit card I possessed. I ended up making fifteen trips to a ATM machine (because of the withdrawal limits) to empty my savings/checking accounts to zero. I put just over 350 miles on my vehicle to accomplish this. After I hit the zero dollars mark I lucked out and was able to close down my accounts using their online chat. Amazingly the person I interacted with was super helpful and polite. Bottom line CITIZENS BANK is a mix of rudeness and incompetence. For brevity I didn't go into detail on all my phone (when I managed to get through) but stay far, far away from this bank, especially if you live outside the US. I closed my account April 4th. That day will be a annual family holiday from now on.

Original review: April 7, 2022

Am another reluctant transferee from HSBC with high frustration in the incompetence and poor service of this bank. Call center is in Costa Rica and while voices there are polite they have incomplete or inadequate training or ability to take care of customer concerns. Run don't walk from this bank. There are many others to depend on for your banking needs these days.

Original review: April 5, 2022

I can't think of another organization in America that has performed so poorly for so long for so many people. From what I can tell, Citizens Bank actively goes out of its way to make things difficult for the people who choose to bank with them. What's the point of having the bank locations in Stop and Shop if they also lock you out of your account without notice and have ZERO recourse when you need to take money out. I will say they do a good job of taking your money, they just haven't quite figured out how to give it back. As someone that hates everything large banks stand for, do yourself a favor, bank with BoA.

Original review: March 30, 2022

I was one of the few unfortunate clients of HSBC USA that got auto-transferred over to Citizens Bank in 2022. After 8 attempts to get in touch with their customer service reps, each call putting me on hold for OVER AN HOUR, I officially gave up and switched banks. The last call had me on hold for over 1 hour and 17 minutes before I just gave up. Save yourself the headache and make the switch while you can.

Take a Mortgage Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

Citizens Bank Company Information