1.21/5
Based on 97 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

328 Citizens Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

My Grandfather started a savings account for myself and my little sister back before he passed away. Over the years my account has steadily grown but at some point in time Citizens changed the terms of the investment without my awareness or approval. About a year ago I noticed that they were now charging us higher annual fees, so much so that the value of the account was declining.

After waiting on hold multiple times over the period of a week I was able to find someone who told me about the numerous steps I needed to complete in order to close my account. I received a check in the mail a couple weeks after completing the steps. The check was worth less than what the account started with after the fees to process and close my account. No documentation was given about why the check was so low and I had to call and wait on hold to find out why the check was so low. I will never do business with this bank again.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I'm nearly 60 and have had many bank accounts over my life, both personally and for 3 businesses that I own. I have never dealt with any bank that charges such fees. They charge overdraft fees when nothing over drafted! For example, if you have $5,000 in your account and pay a bill for $2,000, but there are bills lined up in queue for future dates that have not been paid and the money is sitting in the account they consider that an overdraft! Even though another deposit was made well before any of those bills were up to be paid. Nothing ever bounced, there was always thousands of dollars in the account but they charged me $117 in overdraft fee in anticipation that something could but didn't bounce! Citizens bank has done this numerous times. I'm looking into other banks and switching but I wanted to share this with others. Stay away from Citizens Bank!!!

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

When I opened my account, there was a promotion stating that I would receive $200 if I made a direct deposit of $500 or more within 60 days. The deposit was made so I call after a week to find out if the bonus would be credited to my account. After being on hold for an HOUR, I’m told that he looked in their system and no such promotion exists. I told him I had it screenshot where it said that it did. He put me on hold for another 20 minutes and came back and told me that the promotion already passed. I told them I read in the fine print which I also have screenshot the dates that the promotion was good through and I did in fact open it in time. He put me on hold for another 15 minutes and when he came back he basically told me he had no idea what I was talking about.

I’m not about to argue with anyone over $200 but I don’t think it’s right how you post fake promotions and then when the person calls asking about their money, you pretend to not know what they’re talking about. Just a scam to get you to open an account. Not pleased at all! Will be looking for another bank to do business with as this one isn’t trustworthy.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I deposited $400 into my account to start using it. After making purchases, I saw that my account was at $81, and all my purchases were pending and on the account. Knowing this, I pulled out $40 from my account. Two days later, I get a call from my husband that our account was overdrawn. After calling the bank, and sitting on hold for 30 minutes, the CSR tells me the final purchase I made hadn't in fact posted to my account, so when I withdrew money from my account, I went over $16, and they charged me a $35 overdraft fee for a total of $51 overdrawn. I told him my account had already shown the purchase posted, but he acted like I didn't understand how overdrafts happen. I called back because he told me that there are two balances, your account balance - and your available balance.

I only saw 1 balance. Upon calling back, I talked to a manager who said she thought that maybe the seller hadn't claimed the funds the bank had put on hold for me and the money was returned, without notice. Then maybe the seller claimed the purchase so that's why my account was short when I withdrew the $40. I'm irritated because despite using online banking, and despite checking my account, I'm still going to be charged because somehow the money wasn't accepted fast enough for a purchase I made the same day as another purchase for the same company, which was claimed.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2018

I have been trying to contact Citizens Bank concerning fraud on my debit card. I have spent over an hour and a half trying to contact them and I have not resolved my problem. Yesterday, I connected with them after waiting 30 minutes on the phone and they said they could not hear me. Today, I connected after 15 minutes and talked to a rep. Then, she passed me on to another rep and had to end the call because I was waiting for over 25 minutes. This is crazy!! How can such a reputable bank do this to their customers. I am going to shop for another bank!! DO NOT DO YOUR BANKING AT CITIZENS BANK!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens Bank?

Original review: July 31, 2018

Bruce Van Saun and the executive team at Citizens Bank are criminals. They use advanced algorithms to reorder transaction history, in consequence creating frivolous overdrafts fees. They will even rationalize such by stating "we reorder transaction history to ensure your largest purchases get paid first." Example of how this transpires: Let's say you charge 8 items on your debit card, on a Friday. Those 8 items leave your account with x amount in positive funds. Monday morning comes around, and a housing payment goes through, rendering your account negative, let's say by 1 penny. They subsequently reorder the 9 transactions, 8 on Friday which should not elicit an overdraft, and the one on Monday, which should. Now all 9 are assessed an overdraft fee, in the amount of 9x $35 = $315.

Only one should have legally been assessed if the order of events were adhered to. The algorithm was created at CMU, and they have put great emphasize on finding ways to screw over consumers. Additionally, many other complains are congruent to such. This is NOT speculation, it's a fact. The executive team is comprised of criminals, and they should go to jail.

Original review: July 18, 2018

They are charging me overdraft fees for no reason, the first one I noticed was via text stating I was overdrawn, go in my app... $-3.14 after they took out the $39 fee. That in no way makes any sense. I would have had $35.96. Then it happened the next day... That was my business account... Check mine and my husband joint account and they were charging him fees too! We never noticed because he had the money to cover it without notification... They also with these fees do not send out letters like they do for legit overdraft charges. The company should be investigated!

Original review: July 16, 2018

Citizens Bank is abusing people freedom and rights. I'm out of country just now I find out when clients of this ** bank who are out of country they have no access to their accounts. I spend two hours on phone with idiots from this bank who told me it must be my computer, they make me delete stuff, change settings, and after 1.5 hours they said, “Oh we forgot to tell You the bank changed the policy now outside USA, You cannot use online banking.” That is the bigger abuse I got from any bank in the world so far, now if I want to check any transaction or even check my balance I have to call the ** bank and pay $0.50 /minute.

How nice and remember it take about 25 to 40 minutes to be connected with the **... lest all I got from them is, “We are sorry for the problems.” They don't realize they blocking me from my money when I'm out of country with the kids what a freaking mess, why nobody informed me about that change. I was in this ** bank 3 days before leaving asking for exchanging fees... I’m out of this ** bank. I was client for 12 years. It’ss time to change for something more human.

Original review: July 12, 2018

Horrible customer service. Every month I send them my regular car payment plus an additional $1000 to the principal amount. This month the person applied the entire amount to the payment and after multiple calls to them no one has fixed my problem. Finally they reversed the charge and applied the ENTIRE amount to principal only. And now I am getting frustrated with getting that fixed. I'd much rather pay a point or two higher interest rate instead of dealing with these incompetent, unprofessional employees that they have.

Original review: July 4, 2018

So we had been account holders for almost 20 years. We also bank with a credit union in the northern part of the state. To make a large purchase I wrote a check for cash at Citizens using the northern bank. The Citizens teller had to get approval and after quite a few attempts finally located someone on the phone. The approved told her to confirm that funds were available in my account at the other bank. No problem. I provided our account number and their phone number. She called and was told that there were sufficient funds to cover the check.

The teller calls her approver back, relays the confirmed funds information and is told to tell me that her approver “is not comfortable” approving the check. Result? I was totally amazed. Then I was told I could “drive to the other bank.” I told her that was 3 and a half hours away. She then used the platitude that all businesses say but rarely mean. That is the words, “I’m sorry” which usually translates as, “You’re out of luck and there’s nothing I’m going to do about it for you.” Mind, the funds for the check were confirmed. It could happen to your money.

Original review: July 3, 2018

I had been banking with Citizens Bank over 10 years until about a month ago. Over the years, and I have over drafted the account before. Whenever this happened I would receive a notice in my email and recently, in late 2016 I signed up for text alerts for the account. Nothing has changed in my life that would make it hard to communicate with me. In the past if said account was over drafted and I did not remedy the issue within the same business day a fee would be charged, I remember the fee being $25 for each day in overdraft.

On May 31st I got paid. I scheduled 2 payments to come out of the account that day, forgetting that my new payment date for car insurance was coming out automatically on the 5th. I knew Netflix comes out on the 4th. I spent 60$ on grocery on the 1st. Come the 4th and Netflix comes out and the grocery. Neither payment to Eversource had posted or even show up as pending that day. I did not check my balance on the 5th.

On the 6th my account shows a negative balance, 2 payments to Eversource appear to have posted on the 4th along with the groceries, but the Netflix is now showing posted the 5th along with the car insurance, and 2 overdraft charges at 35$ each. WTF. I called and said, "Hey how come no one got a message to me yesterday, I could have fixed this." She will not waive any fee because 2 transactions while in overdraft means they can charge 2 fees. She promised no third fee would be charged. She says that am not signed up for alerts. I said that I was sure I was and to put that back on. She says I have to do that myself on the website. I said that was stupid. She put me on hold. Transfers me to someone in IT and he is laughing saying that I was never signed up for alerts.

On the 7th I log in and see a third overdraft fee dated the 6th, and my payroll direct deposit. Well I closing the account I told myself, this is theft. On my lunch break I went to the bank to close the account. Teller says she can't do that. I ask why she says because the third overdraft fee is still pending and you need to keep funds in the account to cover that. I got loud and the manager came and looked with her says they can’t close it because of another automatic payment that was scheduled for the 8th not the overdraft fee. Makes me even madder. I took all my money out except what was needed to cover that. I decided to call customer service and complain again that afternoon, ended up getting the 3rd fee waived. He called it a one time courtesy. He was actually returning stolen money to me.

Went to the Stop and Shop Branch to close the account on the 8th. No argument from this teller but then she said, "I hope you do not have anything scheduled to come out automatically, if you do it will reactivate your account and will charge an overdraft fees." I said that was stupid. If the account closes why would the bank be obligated to pay my debts? "That's the policy," she said. I said she should work someplace where stealing money from your customers was against policy, not where stealing from us is the actual written policy. The manager told her to stop talking to me and asked me to leave nicely. Nicer than the last manager I had dealt with by far. A policy that allows Zombie bank accounts to accrue fees is 100% intended to make the bank profit.

Original review: June 27, 2018

This bank has horrible Customer Service! I had an open checking and savings account for the past few months with Citizens Bank. Apparently there was a balance from a 2015 account that they collected on, without my knowledge. This was taken out of my account at the SAME time as when I paid a bill, therefore causing my account to become overdrawn. Now they are charging me overdraft fees for something that they caused and won't let me close the account so they can keep adding fees. Worse bank I have ever dealt with and did I mention their customer service is awful, they are rude and don't have a clue what they are doing or which dept to send you to, etc.

Original review: June 25, 2018

I have been a 20 year customer with this bank, from their start up in our state. That’s called loyalty. Something no longer appreciated at the top echelon of businesses anymore. I initially liked that the bank was local but could service me regionally when on the road with business. I have had it with this bank. I am done. I have multiple accounts including a business account, and have experienced the worst customer care. Citizens seems to have a constant turn over of bank and call center managers, supervisors and workers so there is never one person that gets to know who you are. Plan to take off an entire work day if there is a problem and to be on hold forever with customer care.

It’s a full-time job to try to accomplish resolving a problem. My problem has continued for nine months calling every month only to be given a new case number to no resolution. Their CEOs have quite a nerve to sit up in their ivory towers and not provide access to them when everything is failing beneath them. Do not do business with this bank. They will not adequately service you. They are not worthy of our money.

Original review: June 21, 2018

About 2 weeks ago I opened a checking acct. here. They went over all the rules/regs/fees with me and I agreed. The rep asked me if I wanted checks. and I said that I rarely use checks because I just use my debit card. He then asked me if I would like "just a few checks to have on hand". I shrugged and said yah, I guess that would be good. He never said that by saying that I would be charged $9.99 for one book of checks. During the next week I withdrew some cash leaving a balance of about $5.

I knew that my SS check would be going in a couple more weeks. The next day I received a package containing 1 book (30) checks... no check register, no plastic checkbook cover. I assumed these were the few checks he had offered me. Two days later I get a letter in the mail telling me that my acct balance was now minus $90 because I had overdrawn my account by the $9.99 that they took out for the checks that I had ordered! I knew this must be a mistake and I called the 800 number to straighten it out. They refused to admit that it had been a misunderstanding and refused to wipe out the fees. I am SO angry. They misled me and I am livid. I am now making arrangements to stop my direct deposit for the next month and I will open another account at a more reputable bank. Lesson learned.

Original review: June 20, 2018

For the past year my fiance's payroll check has been going through every Friday morning, over the weekends we would pay our bills and do our shopping like normal. Never any issue. Well this past weekend we had a total of $503 after a check was deposited. We spent a total of 425 over 6 different transactions. We did end up over drafting on Monday by $96 including a $35 fee which we had intended to bring current Tuesday. By Tuesday morning I discovered our account was negative $306... They are trying to charge us overdraft for the 6 transactions that were covered by the money that was deposited by his check. This is an outrage!!! I will be looking into filing a lawsuit, and will definitely be switching banks once these charges are fixed!

Original review: June 19, 2018

Do not bank with Citizens! I've been a customer with them for over 10 years and today learned they wiped out my account leaving me with $50 to survive on due to being late on my student loan payment. I called in advance to inform them this month's payment would be late (after paying consistently and on time) but they still took the money AND my monthly payments are $150! I called to explain that $50 is not nearly enough for me to survive on for two weeks and they basically said "sorry." As soon as I am paid again I'm withdrawing all my funds and moving to another bank. If I had not taken out cash yesterday for other purposes I would have no way of getting through these next two weeks. Inhumane practices and sub-par customer service, at best. Stay away from them!

Original review: June 16, 2018

I have been banking with Citizens Bank for over 4 years, and have yet experience anything positive with them. My latest disappointment is how they are handling my "account takeover" (fraud) situation. Two weeks prior to the incident taking place, I had to call in and replace my Debit card due to a fraudulent charge to my account even though the card was in my possession. At the time of my call, they only ask (for identity verification purposes) very minimal questions, super basic. Two weeks later, my account was hacked and looks like someone called in pretending to be me, created a whole new account and took out a bunch of cash from several ATMs.

The bank has not been helpful in making me feel safe in any way shape or form. In addition, they are taking their sweet time in putting the money back into my account. It's been over 8 days since I reported the incident and the bank has done nothing to resolve this problem or to ensure me that they will make an effort in protecting everyone's identity. Ironically enough, while I was at the bank talking to a representative another customer walked in saying his account was hacked too. It seems that only Citizens have such poor protection for clients against fraud, I never hear this from Bank of America. Can't wait to switch! DO NOT BANK WITH CITIZENS!!! - You've been warned!

Original review: June 15, 2018

This bank took $700.00 out of my account because of an error with Zelle. I spend over 2 Hours on the phone with them. They DON'T have any explanation about where the money is. They only tell me it take 52 hours to come back into the account. Sam ** is the worst customer service manager! This man was rude and has no business calling himself a manager or supervisor, he should call himself a **! The best part is how when you try to complain online, it will not send it to customer service.

Original review: June 11, 2018

I made a claim for the first time since 1999 when I got my account and the claims department was very nasty to me. The lady asked me am I sure someone used card. I told her it was a fraud charge cancel the card send another one. Why would she make that type of statement. I spoke to her manager and she agreed that she shouldn't have said that to me. They act like it's their money they are using for the claims. Why do they care? They have insurance on money for fraud incidents. I called another day to ask about the claim and I got the same lady and she said how did this happen. So I take it she does that to all claims callers. This is sad and I will cancel my card and account. I will not be treated like this and I am the victim.

Updated on 06/28/2018: I was told to get a police report and my claim will be looked at. I talked to Cindy and Daniella in the claims department. Both are managers. They talk to me like I was a low life scum bag. I told them I made the report and they said they will close my claim for fraud and told me to let the police dept handle it. They have fraud protection and why am I told the police will handle my claim and they don't work for citizens. Today I will close my account. They talk to you unprofessionally like the money is coming out of their account. Very disgusted with this bank and these two employees. I am the victim.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I was very happy with Citizens Bank for my mortgage until (post divorce) I went to refinance. First, I refinanced back to 30 years to afford the payments (17 years ago). Then, 7 years ago when interest rates went down, I tried to refinance from a 6% mortgage to a 3.5% rate. They turned me down!!! I was good enough, despite my low income, to pay 6%, but not good enough to pay 3.5%. I was furious!!! Three years ago I found another financial institution with a great reputation, and they accommodated me. I paid off Citizens and took my business elsewhere. Overall, I really like Citizens Bank, but turning me down, esp when I had a great source of equity and an excellent credit rating made no sense. Shame on them. I will even pay off my mortgage ahead of schedule.

Original review: June 2, 2018

My car loan was through Citizens Bank. I was always on time with all my payments because it was being automatically taken out from my checking account. I thought my loan was already paid off but it was not. I got a phone call yesterday stating that I have never made my last payment and it reported to the credit bureaus because I was over 90 days late. She stated that the last payment has to be manually sent in which I was never informed before. I even called in before it was paid off to ask how will I be receiving my car title after it’s paid off but that representative never mentioned to me about the last payment has to be sent in.

They never sent me any notice in the mail to inform me before reporting to the credit bureaus. I have never intended not to pay my bills and they had my bank information all along to take the money out for the past four years. This is very unethical of them to ruin my credit for something that I was totally unaware. I will never do business with them ever again. Please be aware of Citizens bank!

Original review: June 2, 2018

Citizens Bank. It's all about the customer. They're available 24/7. They communicated with realtor, title company and me. Never missed a beat. Excellent service.

Original review: May 23, 2018 Customer service is the worst. You're held on the phone for around an hour. Message them online and they take at least a week to reply when they claim "24 hrs".

High fees probably the highest of any bank. Charge overdraft fees for going a penny negative when website states no overdraft fees for transactions under $5.00 but they lie. I called and they told me it doesn't work like that and there's nothing they can do for me. Plus their locations are very limited.

Original review: May 16, 2018

In spite of a lawsuit for overdraft fees in 2012, they are doing it again. Not processing deposits while processing fees. In 45 days, they assessed me more than $800 and processed fees before the deposit to do so.

Original review: May 16, 2018

I overdraft my account 7 dollars. The next day I put the 7 dollars back in. My account was good after that. 2 days later it said negative 69 dollars like where the hell did that come from? Dont make sense. I gotta pay 69 for 7 bucks. SMH. I'm not paying it. They better waive that or close my account.

Original review: May 8, 2018

I received 11 overdraft fees in one month. 7 came in one day while I was on vacation. I never got any notification. I just kept getting charged. I’m going to get a mortgage and I never overdraft in my account. It’s going to be tough to explain this to a loan officer. I been banking with Citizens Bank for 10 years and they only offered to waive 3 of the fees. I think it’s wrong that they keep giving you fees for buying a small coffee. Why should a coffee cost 35 dollars?

Original review: April 30, 2018

Citizens Bank is the worst bank that I have ever dealt with. I made large deposit after speaking with rep. Made large deposit took three attempts to checks right. Attempted to clean up liens on home that were already paid. It's been one week and find out Citizens wrote down incorrect number book/volume. Still waiting for them to fix it, told they have to investigate. I will be withdrawing all funds from this bank. Also they charge family members $8.50 a check when you write them out. Don't use Citizens. You will regret. I gave them several attempts to fix problem and it still is not fixed.

Original review: April 24, 2018

Citizens opened a checking account in my name without my knowledge, the account was attached to a scam artist tax preparer, who opened this account without my knowledge, he used a email address that he created with his own telephone number on account and signed my name on Account! He apparently opened account in a Acme store location! I was just made aware that other Banks are involved in class action suits for being involved in the same behavior of opening accounts without person's knowledge!

I visited a Citizens Bank after perhaps receiving the ATM card by accident on this fraudulent account and was told by branch manager that they would look into this and I never heard back from them. It’s been some time now however I never understood the severity of someone doing this, this account is closed now but how do you know how many other accounts have been opened in your name by scam artists out there while you have no knowledge of this? Banks usually require a driver's license or some form of legal identification to open a account! I have no idea who in this bank committed this fraud and let this man open account without having any of My legal information, driver's license, etc. nor person on account even being present while this account is being opened. I do know it was open by a male not a female!

Original review: April 21, 2018

I was a customer for over 10 years. The advertisements for this bank state "no minimum balance" and "no monthly fees", these statements are untrue. This bank has taken over $120. on 2 separate occasions due to my balance getting close to a .65 balance. Within 24 hours of the balance being so close to $0, I was charged $42, another time last year when this happened I was charged $42. and it doubled because I did not catch it within their 2 week cut off, another $84. I was told it doubles every 2 weeks, so if I had not caught it, it would have been $168? I had 2 checking accts and there was plenty of $ in the other acct., but they do not help you by transfer, to not go to the under $1 and again NO loyalty such as a phone call or email to give a heads up, like in the old days.

There is no loyalty with this bank, they obviously need the money more than us poor folk and they do NOT negotiate so don't waste your time trying. BTW, when you try to stay on the up & up, you are treated very poorly! I hope this helps others when trying to find a bank to do business with, whether you are rich or poor. I closed all of my accounts today, they did not even ask "why" after all these years, they do not care and have very poor business acumen.

Original review: April 17, 2018

The bank automatically enrolls you in Overdraft Protection with a Line of Credit. Even if you have two accounts, they don't link those accounts together so any overdraft is taken from the second account. If you accidentally overdraft an account, you get a Line of Credit "loan" which they then charged you 22% interest rate on monthly. There is no notice that you have overdrafted so these "loan" payments continue until you notice a ding in your credit report. It is not even clear online what is happening and you can't even pay off this "loan" online if you wanted to. This has happened twice to me now. I swore that I cancelled this "feature" the first time it happened to avoid this, but just realized it happened again when my credit rating took another dip. The first time this happened, I called the bank and they told me to write a letter to the manager of the branch where the account was opened. I do this, but received NO REPLY.

Citizens Bank Company Information

Providence
RI
www.citizensbank.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business