1.30/5
  • 1 star
Based on 85 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Citizens Bank

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 19, 2018

276 Citizens Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I would NOT recommend this bank to anyone! I am currently banking with them and have been banking with them for about 3-4 years now. When I lived in Lincoln, after MANY times of them doing anything they could to get me to make an account with them, I finally did. At first it seemed like a great bank. Then the past year and a half I've had fishy over-draft fees. When I make a transaction, it automatically tells me my new balance on the online banking app after I refresh it; therefore, I know exactly what I have even if it hasn't gone through on their end yet except for checks of course. So, last night my balance as of like 11pm was $6.01. I went to bed and woke up and it was -$3.67, so I go to the bank to put money in before 10pm, as you have until 10pm of the day that your account goes into the negatives to put the over-drafted amount in to avoid an over-draft fee!

So, I get to the bank and they tell me that my account is actually -$38.67 and as I'm trying to explain everything to them the lady is VERY RUDE and talking over me before I even had a chance to fully explain. So, I ask her... “Is it an overdraft fee?” She says, “It doesn't show one on here,” then I said, “Well I have until 10pm to get money into the bank to avoid an overdraft fee,” and she looks over at the other teller and asks if that was actually true and she says it was true. Mind you... this is the same lady I spoke to the last time something like this happened and you would think she would have done her research after the first time... seeing as you know, she works for the company! So then she was like, “I highly recommend you bring the account back to the positives,” and I told her I don't even feel comfortable with this company having my money at this point and feel like closing the account.

She then told me that I owe so little that I could leave it as is and it wouldn't affect me in any way or go on my credit score and then made an appointment for me to talk to someone tomorrow. So then I call customer service and talk to someone who tells me the extra $35 WAS from an overdraft fee and after trying to get the overdraft fee taken off which they wouldn't do because I had one done back in September and you supposedly only get one a year, which wasn't the original deal, I spoke with a supervisor. The second she got on the phone with me she was EXTREMELY rude and I wasn't rude to her at all. She treated me like an idiot and told me that the overdraft was from a $10 check that went through. So I said, “Well if it went through yesterday then it didn't tell me on the app, otherwise I would have made it to the bank before 10pm to avoid the overdraft fee."

It didn't tell me on my app that it was negative until this morning, so I went to go correct it and they have an overdraft fee already in place? She then feeds me a bunch of lies and basically tries to confuse me to get me off subject and still VERY rude even though I was very polite (just a little stern) and then I ask, “Well if the $10 check made it go into the negatives, then why does it not add up? With the $6.01 balance I had yesterday plus the $3.67 I went negative today only adds up to $9.77.” She ignored the question several times.

I've had a bank teller tell me one time that this happened that they basically put my fund on hold for a long enough time to charge me the overdraft fee and she put the money back into the account for me. The one and ONLY honest bank teller I've ever come across with this bank! I almost let it go too, but she was actually honest with me and figured it out for me and realized they tried to basically steal from me and her being honest corrected it and gave me MY money back!

So anyways, I tell the lady on the phone that I would like to just close my account then and she said I couldn't without it being brought back to a balance of $0. So I go, “Well that's funny because the lady at the bank just told me to leave it as is and eventually it would close itself and not affect me or my credit in any way,” and she was like, “Yes it eventually would affect your credit.” And I go, “No It wouldn't and maybe you guys should stop stealing from people,” and I hung up. This has happened quite a few times too (the fishy overdraft fees). I absolutely think they are trying to steal money from people and are getting away with it!

A LOT of people don't know the 10pm rule (you have until 10pm to make your account positive to avoid an overdraft fee from the day it overdrafted) and there's a lot of bank tellers that don't know that either and don't want you to know. As soon as I can transfer everything over to a new bank I will be leaving Citizens and warning absolutely every person possible that these people are THIEVES! I HONESTLY do not trust them with my money and a lot of the bank tellers don't make you feel welcome. The customer service is the worst I've ever seen and there's no knowledge amongst the employees.

I am more than happy to pay an overdraft fee when it is actually necessary and actually my fault, but not when I know for a fact it is fraudulent. I have now got a bunch of paperwork and other stuff in place just to see if I can figure out every time that this has happened and have there be a lawsuit put in place. I know enough lawyers where this can be figured out and where they could be sued if found guilty. I see a lot of people with the same overdraft problems on here.

No one should have to pay for their own money especially when they are trying to follow all the bank's rules to a T! If I didn't see that overdraft fee before bed last night, then how do I know it didn't come out after mid-night?? Because technically I would then have until today at 10pm to fix the overdraft. Now I can't even trust the app to give me accurate information if it didn't tell me that the check went through yesterday. If my payroll check wasn't going through tomorrow then I would be done with this bank already! And from what I know... when you close an account or leave it as is... you are only responsible for the money you overdrafted, so in my case... the $3.67 are NOT their fees.

But, as for now I will deal with them and try my absolute BEST to keep an EXTRA close eye on my account, so that they cannot steal from me in the meantime. Then I will be calling a lawyer in regards to these over-draft fees. One girl has already admitted to me that they have done it to me before, so I am sure the rest could easily be revealed with enough evidence. And I am not the type to sue people and never have, but I would really hate to see this happen to any other innocent person! Stay far far away people! There are banks out there that won’t do this stuff to people!

I'm a very honest person that is doing whatever I can to keep myself and my kids and little family going. I work my BUTT OFF in college and at work to get by and this stuff with this horrific bank has put me in tears too many times trying to figure out how to pay a overdraft fee that most likely (for probably almost all of them... should have never been there anyways). And now I am just getting angry. If you have Citizens and plan to stick with them, just know your rights and keep a close eye on your account(s).

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

DISCLOSURE: Citizens Bank recently settled a lawsuit for 137.5 million for manipulating transactions to maximize overdraft fees. NOW READ THIS: I have tried to shut down my Citizens Bank account after moving from Philadelphia to Washington, D.C. where there are absolutely no Citizens Banks and was unable to. I tried to shut down the Citizens Bank account because there are NO CITIZENS BANKS IN D.C. and I exceeded the amount of money I could MOBILE DEPOSIT ($5000) and COULD NOT PAY MY RENT OR BILLS.

However, even though I asked for the account to be closed and emptied of all money so I could open a new account at a bank in D.C. so I could pay my rent and bills, I was told by Citizens Bank that the account would reopen if any deduction came through within 60 days after closing the account. 60 DAYS, FOLKS. LET ME REPEAT. 60 DAYS AFTER YOU EMPTY YOUR BANK ACCOUNT AND CLOSE IT, THEY WILL REOPEN IT! I've had a Citizens Bank account for about 10 years and I have set up everything to be automatic deduction.

So, I first checked to see what was coming directly out of my checking account and called those businesses (SPENT AN HOUR RIGHT OFF THE BAT), to update those payments to my new bank account. I also called Citizens Bank and cancelled my Visa/debit card so that any businesses deducting money out monthly would be unable to (like Lyft, Netflix, Amazon, AT&T, etc). At which point, and I AM NOT KIDDING, I was told by customer service and later corporate, that even if I cancel the Visa/debit card, the MONEY WOULD STILL BE DEDUCTED.

I asked Citizens Bank then to tell me exactly what businesses I needed to contact to make sure a deduction wouldn't re-open the closed account and result in an overdraft fee. NO JOKE. THEY COULD NOT TELL ME. In fact, after 3.5 hours of talking to corporate, I received in the mail more than a month later a thick packet of 60 pages of bank statements from April 2017 to December 2017 from Citizens Bank and, specifically, from one Ryan **, office of the chairman, phone number **, saying that Citizens Bank can't figure out which transaction will overdraw a closed account and I need to review and figure it out myself. Uh. What???!!!!

So, I spent 3.5+ hours calling and updating all vendors that I had used the bank Visa/debit card I cancelled. DO YOU KNOW HOW STRANGE THAT IS? THAT IS NOT NORMAL. Only, while I was a postdoc working in gene therapy to save lives, I accessed 2K in credit from Citizens Bank. And I was told by customer service when I asked to close the account that I would receive a coupon book so I could pay the amount back and I’ve been waiting for that coupon book to show up in my mailbox but I never received it.

Instead, what I finally received from Ryan ** was a packet 3 inches thick with 6 months of bank statements with absolutely no direction as to which vendors I should contact to cancel automatic deductions, and absolutely no coupon book, so I can’t pay off the 2k. As a result, in two days, my account will overdraw because I have been unable to put money in or close the account. And this is why this bank needs to go. You want to talk about manipulating transactions to maximize overdraft fees? Look no further. Go ahead, overdraft me, Ryan **. Three words for you: CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT. Because if this is happening to me, who else has this happened to? Judges have a lot less mercy the second time around. 137.5 million? Drop in the bucket.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I could not get a $30,000 HELOC loan from Citizens. I own two homes and only one has a mortgage. My credit score is around 725. I have had the same employer for 10 years and I have lived in my own home for 14 years. My income sources bring in around 140K yearly. So, if I can't get a loan from them then who can? This loan for a line of credit.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Bad Customer service. Finds any way to take money when they can off their customers. They do not give you updates on your own money and gives you false readings of your money on their website. By far worst bank to have money in. I will be switching banks as soon as my deposit start going to my other banks. You guys need to get your people together and stop taking other people's money.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Over 12 years banking with them and they throw you out like an old shoe. No issues until this past November and every department has a different excuse. They say one thing do another. Give an option then you're an idiot 'cause they never said that! Like I am pulling information out of my butt and making things up. I would NEVER recommend this bank to anyone. You can’t even give a disabled person their December monthly income?! Excuses and LIES!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens Bank?

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I could not get a $15,000 loan from Citizens. I own two homes and only one has a mortgage of 30K. My credit score is around 735. I have had the same employer for 15 years and I have lived in my own home for 33 years. My income sources bring in around 100K yearly. So, if I can't get a loan from them then who can?

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

On December 13th I reviewed my accounts online; as I am diligent in doing, and noticed a withdrawal of $3800.00 from my savings account had been made on December 8th. I called immediately to report it and was told I signed for it. I said I most certainly did not...where did this occur and was told, after being put on hold numerous times, at some in-store branch (some store I've never even heard of) in Philadelphia... I live in NH and was at work on December 8th. Then begins the whole process of filing a fraud claim. Understand, I have been with Citizens Bank for ~30 years and for the most part have always been confident and pleased with them.

Having this occur, I now know that my identity has been stolen. From where or how I have no clue, probably the Equifax breach. I have my ATM, I have my checks safely snug at home and use very rarely, I have my license from 2013. Not a duplicate. It really is scary how this can happen to you. I have many steps to go through to cover myself, but the fact that my money left that bank with a withdrawal slip, a phony license and a phony signature that is so unlike my own is unacceptable. I've now had to open up 2 new accounts checking/savings and I asked what's to stop them from doing this again? I mean do you flag the accounts or something? I got a no. They do not flag the new accounts...only the compromised ones.

Why? What good is it to flag an account that is going to need to be closed anyway? In explanation as to how it would not happen again, I was assured that whenever a transaction is made, your signature that is on file pops up on the screen and is supposed to be compared to what is presented. Very low confidence level here.

Again, I check my accounts frequently just for things like this, mystery charges and fees and I see a charge from them today for $12 for rushing me and my husband new ATM cards tied to the new accounts. Seriously? I called, not thrilled at having to spend more time on the phone; as well you can imagine is all I've done for the last week, and they did reverse the charge, it's just frustrating that they never told me there would be a charge in the first place, otherwise I would have disputed it right then and there when I ordered the new cards.

Granted, someone stole my identity of which neither I nor Citizens Bank is to blame, however there is a joint responsibility in this fraudulent activity. They have the obligation when being responsible with people's money in making damn certain that when someone withdraws that kind of money (maybe it's not a lot to some but it is to me); and the history of the account does not reflect this type of thing as normal, that extra scrutiny is applied. Had they even glanced at my on file signature; there would have been no way they would not have noticed the entire differences between those two signatures and it may have made them look much closer at the license.

As of right now I am still waiting for them to put the money "provisionally" back into my account while the investigation continues. I went to a branch and had to have a signed affidavit notarized and mailed out and received by them before they will even put the money back. Most everyone that I have dealt with has been pleasant and helpful but this is still something that I firmly believe would not have happened had professional protocol been followed through. Not to mention they may have been more apt to have caught the person impersonating me. Great way to spend the holidays and end out the year.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

Very frustrating! I received a personal consolidation loan about 6 months ago. Since then, my credit has improved tremendously! I contacted them today about refinancing for a lower rate (4% lower than my current according to their website and my credit score), and they told me that they do not have a process set up for refinancing at this time. You also can't apply for a separate Citizens Bank loan to pay off the existing. I've never once heard of this "not being able to refinance a loan". Take your business elsewhere!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2017

I have read reviews and it seems like I have the same situation. I have been a customer at Citizens Bank before when it was Charter One Bank for at least 15 years. I have overdraft in the past and willingly pay the fees knowing my arrears however I'm not always been happy with it. I was led to believe there was three waiver a year and a $5 Grace when. I had a automatic withdrawal from a gym membership come out for 2005 I purchase headbands for $4 the same day neither processed till two days later. Because of their withdrawal rules it process the gym membership before the $4 purchase which resulted in a -19 overdraft when I was really only short a dollar. So now I'm paying $36 or a $1 overdraft and the overdraft is still pending. It doesn't show up on my account yet and I wasn't aware of that.

Perhaps it would be helpful if you let the consumer know through email or text at the time when it overdrafts as opposed to waiting till it's too late and sending an email after the fact. I did call and spoke to a representative who said maybe they'll waive it because it was a dollar then spoke to the supervisor who said there's nothing they can do. They suggested I read some information how to avoid overdrafts. Yes I understand I wish you were a dollar however if they would have processed the gym membership fee first then it would have charged a fee at all and I have the money just didn't realize it. Christmas is in 6 days and I no longer wish to bank with Citizens. This isn't the first time this has happened where it's about the way they withdraw the money and I thought I asked them to deny if there was any overdrafts possible.

I will discourage any family and friends from future banking with them and look to change Banks first thing in the morning. Unfortunately I have to pay the $36 or I could end up paying $250 or whatever the limit is if I don't again I was short $1, I have the money and the overdraft fee is still pending. Is there not a way a supervisor or customer representative can override and action when they see that an issue like this has occurred? I honestly do not like to complain or leave bad reviews. This is not the first time this has happened and again I understand I am responsible however I think I will look for a bank that is more customer-friendly and I'd rather pay them anything than pay another overdraft fee at this establishment. Again it's 6 days before Christmas and there's nothing they can do even though they know that this is ridiculous.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

I had an issues with a company withdrawing money without me knowing. The customer service rep at Citizens told me to file a claim to stop payment and get money back without all the daily overdraft fees. I specifically asked more than once if the company can access my account to put money back because then I would have gotten it back twice. She assured me they can't... But they did so citizens then wanted their money back too. They set a draft date 2 days before my pay so I called electronic banking asking to delay the draft date. She said it was set and fine. Having a problem with claim filed already I asked a few times if she was sure... Said "yes it definitely will not draft" then it did so I called same dept to complain.

The same girl, Maria, must be only one in whole department. She saw her note but said management missed it so I asked to speak with her. Told her Maria promised me it wouldn't draft... Just as claims rep said other company can't access my account. Manager said no one promised me anything!!! Ohh ok. Then she said as a courtesy they will return all overdrafts from their mistake. Then I. Keep get negative balance letters so I called to tell them I was promised a courtesy to return overdrafts from what they took..

It's like they have no idea what that could ever mean and said they can only do one, once a year! That wasn't the deal. It's like dealing with one idiot after another. The 1st advice was totally wrong, 2nd has no clue what 1st said and they are wrong and 3rd person has no clue what 1st or 2nd person said and then they are wrong. Now I sell insurance and I read companies' reviews where 99.9% of complaints are people just not knowing insurance, what it includes and excludes but this banking issue is 100% clueless people who will give you wrong advice and cost you a lot of money.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I have accounts with a few other banks and I work for a financial but have never found a worse customer experience or nickel and diming than with Citizens Bank. Fees to get hard copy statements. Incoming wire fees. Deeply troubled website and ability to log in. Blocking ACH's from large verified US Banks. Charging income wire fees ($18). Generally terrible customer service and stonewalling for speaking with supervisors and a general runaround. Worst of all they won't close my account and send me my money. Don't do business with this bank... There are plenty of other options of banks that will appreciate your relationship.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

Citizens Bank took two payments out last month and they have no idea how it happened. Here it is a month later and still I cannot get my money back. Apparently it is okay to steal from your customers. Called again today and they continue to hang up on me. I have been charged overdraft fee up the you know what and this company will do nothing to fix their mistake. Will not be making another truck payment until I hear something back and some sort of resolution is put in place. DO NOT BANK HERE. THEY ARE CRIMINAL.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2017

I went to Citizens in NH to apply for a VA loan for my son who was deployed, they asked for the same paperwork 4-5 times, did not know what they were doing, told him that when he deployed I could not sign as his POA, and that he could not use the VA loan because when he finally got back to the States he was getting out of military full time and doing the weekend and 2 weeks and going into a different line of work with the DOD.

All the Citizens Bank underwriters did was lie to us for 3 months with promises. Now we are starting all over again with another loan company and the sellers are not happy but are willing to work with us because my son was in the military!! DO NOT use Citizens for any loans. They drain the blood right out of your body, no one knows what they are doing. Too much paperwork changing hands and not enough knowledgeable people in their loan dept.

I did call the VA and YES he can use a VA loan and you DO NOT have to be in the same field to get a VA loan!!! I have been a faithful customer of Citizens for over 50 years along with my boys since they were born, now we will be leaving this bank and going elsewhere!!! We had 2 closing dates that at 530 the night before were canceled last minute, mind you the sellers live 6 hours away so they were already here. Someone definitely needs to investigate Citizens Mortgage Dept!!!

This is not right for anyone to have to go through such an emotional experience to own a home. Now I know why there are so many homeless Veterans with PTSD. This is a disgrace to our country for putting them through this!!! I hope whoever reads this will investigate this because every day it was something different which before my son was to start at the DOD. He took a month off from Dec 6 - Jan 6 because he is starting 2nd week of January and because the DOD could not give a definite date of start they dumped my son's loan in the trash and all they could say is sorry!!! Any guidance would be very helpful in this matter. One last thing is they waited for the POA to expire November 30th then they said to me, "Sorry we cannot talk to you anymore." REALLY!!!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

When I was 12 years old in 1985 (32 years ago) I walked up to my local Citizens branch where I am still at till this day and opened up my first account. I've been a loyal customer ever since and even used Citizens when I owned my own business from 1998-2009. This past September 27th my application for a HELOC loan went through and within 3 days I received a letter saying that I was conditionally approved. I own my own home free and clear (appraised at ($250,000), my credit score was fine. The only issue I have had was the fact that I have 3 jobs but all 3 jobs are relatively new. I started them all 6 months ago.

As of today's date it has been over 8 weeks and my loan officer, who has been great can't get in touch with anyone to find out what's going on. I talk to him at least a few times a week and have given them everything they've asked for. At least 4 separate times they've asked me for different documents and each time I've got them back to my loan officer that day. At this point I just want an answer. In my opinion waiting over 8 weeks for an answer is unacceptable. Especially seeing as how they were so quick to conditionally approve me after 3 days. The last time I spoke with my loan officer, he literally told me he's out of options and has no idea what else to do.

The underwriter/woman working on my application refuses to answer his calls or emails and she'll go weeks without even looking at it. She asked me for employment verification over 3 weeks ago and I brought it to my loan officer within hours and over 3 weeks later, he told me she hasn't even looked at it. What am I to do if my own loan officer has given up & tells me he had no idea what to do? I believe that I deserve better after been unconditionally loyal to Citizens for 32 years now. This loan will either save me & my daughter or completely break us. It looks like it's going to be a sad, sad Xmas this month.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

My Atm card had a password reset, or so I thought after I spoke with customer service. When I went to withdraw money it retained my card on the weekend no less. 3 days later I got back. Had to get a pin mailer. In the meantime it allowed me to use my card as credit. While doing so since the pin on my card was no good, I reset the pin to get into my mobile app, that went funky on me. Expecting my Christmas bonus from work and knowing if something went wrong I would get a text alert. Fast forward a week when I got my weekly balance text and saw my account was negative over $400!!!! As soon as I could I grabbed literally every dollar I could and deposited $525. Should be ok, NO WAY! After my deposit I was still negative $311!!! How... FEES!!!! 12 OF THEM TO BE EXACT AT $35 EACH!!! No text alert, nothing in the mail...no call to see if my card was stolen...NOTHING.

I call "customer service" on the back of my card and explain what happened. I'm a single mom of 2 boys. Literally a month ago received a diagnosis for my 4 year old of Autism and have his first speech therapy appointment today actually which now I have no money to cover the co pay since my insurance requires I meet a deductible first. I explain I work and have direct deposit every 2 weeks which will more than cover what I'm negative as well as being in great standing with this account which included a pretty decent balance thought out the year. This literally was the perfect storm which cost me $420!!! I beg for at least 3 FEES back and the "manager" continued to speak to me like I was stupid and kept repeating "since the FEES were charged correctly she could not help".

I asked to speak to her manager and she, Alexandra, told me she doesn't have one, she was the highest I could go without writing a letter to an office in Rhode Island because anyone who may be above her refuses to speak to customers. Again I pleaded for help. His appointment is the next day, today, and I needed help. The logo says "we 're here when you need us". Weeelll no you're not. Received no sympathy whatsoever for the situation I found myself in. I understand I accrued the FEES however this is clearly a one time mistake that spiraled out of control that does NOT match with the past activity on my account so to be treated with a black and white decision is horrifying. What happened to hometown banks when peoples lives actually mattered????

I'm heartbroken and disgusted and now have to plead with children's specialized hospital to bill me for the appointment until I can catch up from being in the hole $420 with no knowledge of how to stop the bleeding until it's too late... I will close my account and take this to the Burlington County Times and Philadelphia Inquirer to show everyone how quickly your life can be turned upside down from one mistake that you didn't know was a mistake until it was too late. Banks don't care about their customers anymore, apparently they only care about FEES and allow Managers of their call centers to be the end all be all on customer satisfaction.

I'm not sure how they can do that with no authority to help. To me it seems like they have a sweet job. No thinking, no reviewing. Just by the book answers and providing addresses to write letters because no one above them will speak to customers. So no matter how urgent the issue I have to wait for my letter to be answered??? Not even an email. A LETTER... THROUGH THE MAIL!! Here we come Santander...

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

Yesterday out of clear blue received a letter stating my account is closed, also my business account. Called. They can't discuss it. The letter received from Citizens Bank doesn't even have a name of the person who wrote the letter. Stay away from this bank! Not consumer friendly and not Business friendly. Run away from them!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

I've been with the bank for some time now and I just deposited a check from NYS and the next day allowed me to go to the branch and withdraw money. Now because of that they put a hold on all my money until it clears. They put an extended hold on a NYS check. Wtf. I can't get a dollar out. I just had unemployment deposit Tuesday. Can't get a dollar of the that because of their mistake. A family goes without Thanksgiving dinner and is forced to struggle until they say it's cleared and on my bank app I can't see all the money in there. Lots of ** up mistakes. They tell me it's up to the back office to release the funds. My lawyer is not happy. I'm just waiting. I was told funds would be available tomorrow. Wtf.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2017

I opened my account online. Went to get a counter check to get my direct deposit going. They say they don't do counter checks anymore. I ask if I'm getting a couple in the mail with like a welcome packet. They say "No, you only get them if you open a account in branch." What discrimination. I ask if they have any coin counters at any of their branches. They say "No but you can use a machine at the entrance of the store and they charge you." I say "Why would I pay someone else to do your job." Terrible service. Won't be banking with them long. Murrysville, PA Giant Eagle location.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

Citizens Bank is shady. They keep allowing certain transactions to go through on my account (ACH transactions) when I do not have the funds to cover them so I am charged with a $35.00 fee. I am not enrolled in overdraft protection because I'd rather the transaction be declined. When I called Citizens Bank, the representative told me it is up to the bank's discretion whether or not they will cover a transaction! I'm a single mother of three and I can not afford to pay an extra $35.00 because the bank just decides to cover it for me.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I took a trip to Citizens Bank today, I decided to get rid of my overdraft on my bank accounts, so if I don't have enough I'm my checking account they can take the rest out of my savings, guess how much I need in my checking account so I won't be charged a fee (5,000) dollars. Going to transfer my money to Navigant bank. (BYE SEE YA)

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

I have had accounts with Charter One Bank aka Citizens Bank, since 1992. On 11-14-17 I discovered that fraudulent activity occurred on my checking account. I contacted customer service and had extreme difficulty understanding the c.s.r. who spoke with a heavy Hispanic accent. They outsource customer service to Panama City! My husband's debit card info had been compromised, so I asked her to block his card.

A short time later I attempted to use my debit card and it was declined. I call again and speak to someone else and find out they blocked the wrong card. There is a $12 fee to get a new card expedited to me and no way to waive this charge. There is also no way to unblock my card, either. I'm told I can call and ask that the fee be refunded after I see the charge hit my account. Due to their incompetence, I have to beg for the $12 back and endure more time on the phone with them. I am very dissatisfied with my experience and bothered to know that my bank outsources their customer service to another country. Time to find a new bank!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

Run from them. They stole my vacation money I transferred into my account to celebrate my son's one year and something months out of the hospital. It has been stuck in processing while we are at Disney world. I will be make this a lawsuit matter as I am done being transferred around on the phone and will be sharing with the media. They are thriving crooks.

Citizens Bank response

We're going to have our Office of the Chairman investigate your situation, Ashley. Please send an email to AskCitizensBank@Citizensbank.com with your full name and phone number, as well as more details about this issue.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I was getting issued another card (not my idea), and they asked for my updated address. I gave them my new address, a week passed and still no card but I was able to get a hold of my money so I thought nothing of it. Another week passed so I called again to check and they once more asked for my address and I told them, number by number and spoke slowly. The third week comes and still no card, as I go to buy my son's milk my card is declined so I call them. They state that the new card was returned to them because they sent it to the wrong address and I couldn't get a new one until four days later. So here I am with a hungry nine month old and not able to use or get a hold of my money because of their three weeks of not listening.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

Today (Monday Nov. 6, 2017) at approximately 10 am I attempted to deposit a check made payable to me (as I have dozens of times over the last 15 years that my business account has been open) and I was told that this was not a valid payee. This is the second time in the last month that I have been questioned on a deposit to my account at this Branch. Both of these instances have occurred at the Stoughton, MA Route 138 Branch (not the Stop and Shop branch). I have deposited funds there numerous times over the past 15 years at this very location. I have no idea as to why I am being questioned, when I have no issues with the Cobbs Corner and Sharon, MA branches that I also frequent.

As an individual whose practice deals almost exclusively with small businesses in the Stoughton area, I will not be able to continue to recommend Citizens Bank as a bank that my current and future clients should consider as the source of their business banking needs. Additionally, as I mentioned I have been a long time customer of Citizens for my business needs. I went to Citizens to obtain a SBA loan in 2004 which I received and in fact paid back early. I used the Stoughton, MA branch to facilitate that transaction at that time. As I told the assistant branch manager today, I will not be setting foot in that location ever again. I sent this same posting upon my return to my office to Citizens Bank Investor Relations through their online portal. I have not heard back from them as of the posting of this item here.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I am not surprised at all that Citizens Bank rates only a star and a half. If there had been the option of a rating with no stars, that would have been my choice. I have been with Citizens Bank for quite a while and over time their service has just continued to get worse and worse- but today takes the cake. This morning at about 6:30am I checked my checking account to see if a check that I deposited on Saturday had cleared the account yet. According to my mobile banking app, it had cleared. Fast forward to 8:30am and I'm now on my way to work. I stop at the Citizens Bank in downtown Boston to use the ATM machine and I get a message about how my card has been deactivated- “Please go see an associate.” So I do. I go in and ask the lady what's going on with my account. She takes my information and reviews the account.

She proceeds to tell me that my account was placed on a hard hold until November 14 because they are reviewing the check I deposited Saturday. I asked her, “Why? What was the matter with the check?” She did not know. I asked her about what was going to happen when my direct deposit hit the account in a few days? Again she has no answer for me. So as soon as I get to work, I called the customer service number only to be given the runaround for an hour. They transferred me here and then there, requiring me to repeat my story over and over. Then someone tells me they are transferring me to the appropriate department but instead disconnect the line.

So I called back and again no one can give me any answers. One lady starts being all cryptic saying she can't tell me but I can go into a branch if I wanted additional information. I told her that I was just at a branch location and they couldn't tell me anything. Finally after wasting 2 hours of my life I go back over to the branch location and ask to speak with the Branch Manager. He tells me the same thing but also tells me my card is no longer active at all and I will need to order a new one! I am completely outraged. I am a single mother of a 1 year old. I live check to check and I need to know if my paycheck is going to be available or not. This is by far the worst run institution in Boston. In the past, I've been too lazy to change banks. Well not anymore. Citizens will not get my business a day longer.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

As a 10+ year customer of Citizens Bank I deposited my payroll check on a Friday as I had been for the previous month via the mobile check deposit. Deposited before 10 pm means the 'funds' are available the next day. As someone who lives paycheck to paycheck, I need to pay bills that next day. I noticed Sunday evening my account was negative several hundred dollars. I immediately called customer service. They stated the payroll check hadn't actually cleared but it was going to by tomorrow.

The next day I had even more of a negative balance and went to the bank. They couldn't tell me anything except the check had been returned, and now I was forced to pay return check fees and a whole lot more. Long story short, the other bank never even received the request from Citizens to cash the check. Citizens Bank failed to make the transaction complete and I am now stuck paying fees that are not my fault. I will NEVER mobile deposit again and will be changing banks as soon as possible. Only two stars because the teller who tried to help me was very nice, otherwise it would be 1 star.

Citizens Bank response

We understand this process did not go as it should have for you, Renee. We're going to have our Office of the Chairman review the mobile deposit you made, and reach out to speak with you in more detail. Please send an email to AskCitizensBank@Citizensbank.com with your full name and best phone number to reach you. We're going to investigate these fees for you.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

My elderly mother has a credit card through Citizens Bank. I have Power of Attorney (POA) for her. We recently had a problem with her credit card and I called customer service for assistance. They would not talk to me because they had no record of the POA. I went into our local branch with my POA paperwork. I explained my mother was no longer able to handle her own affairs and living in a home.

The customer service rep had to contact their credit card section after he could not enter the POA into their system and it was explained to the customer service rep that the bank would not honor the POA because it was older than 365 days. I asked if I could close the account. I was advised that I could not. Our only recourse is to stop using the card and let it go dormant. Should someone else start using the card we will be helpless to do anything about it based on Citizens Bank logic... Luckily I am not a Citizens Bank customer and never will be.

Citizens Bank response

We're going to have our Office of the Chairman take a look into this account for you, William. Please send an email to AskCitizensBank@Citizensbank.com with your full name and best phone number to reach you, so we can dig deeper into this POA for you.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

These people have no respect for you. They steal and steal and steal with their overdraft fees. I was charged multiple overdraft fees without me even noticing. These people disgust me and I do not think you should join here ever.

Citizens Bank response

We understand you weren't notified of these overdraft fees, Michael. We're going to have our Office of the Chairman reach out to talk in more detail with you about this. Please send an email to AskCitizensBank@Citizensbank.com with your full name and phone number, so we can review your account.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

In August 2017 I called customer service because I had over drafted by $.14. And was charged $35. I thought I had overdraft protection? So I called to make sure. Apparently it changed so I enrolled in overdraft protection once again. Didn't receive anything in the mail to sign approving the switch. 2 months later, a similar situation occurred. $225 in overdraft fees until they sent me any mail. (Received 5 days after date on letter) The switch to Overdraft protection never happened. I called, was transferred 5 times. Nobody could answer any of my questions. I never signed anything to switch out of the overdraft protection!!! Another class action lawsuit is coming their way. This bank is a giant thief. I will be switching. Stay away at all costs.

Citizens Bank response

We're going to have our Office of the Chairman take a look into these overdraft charges for you, James. Additionally, we're going to dig deeper into why you weren't signed up for overdraft protection as you had thought. Please send an email to AskCitizensBank@Citizensbank.com with your full name and best phone number to reach you, along with a brief description of your concerns. We're going to look deeper into this for you.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

This company needs to properly train your employees in customer service. My experience earlier this afternoon at a Philadelphia branch was completely unacceptable. The moment one of their employees could no longer provide me with information that could help me quickly resolve a lost debit card incident, was the exact moment she should have apologized that she could not be of more assistance, or even suggesting the corporate number. Instead, she chose to get an attitude and speak to me rudely, and disrupt the emergency phone call I made to my parents, who due to their own employees breaking the rules upon setting up my account, were the only ones who would be able to help me secure my account.

This is a very stressful circumstance; my money was unsecured for an undefined amount of time, and instead of being sympathetic, she became argumentative. I will never do business with this disgusting bank again, and will dissuade others from wasting their time. A lot can go wrong. It's someone's financial information is at risk, and attitude was the absolute last thing I needed.

Citizens Bank Company Information

Providence
RI
www.citizensbank.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use