3.11/5

423 Citizens Bank Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 10, 2019

Went for a refinance with Citizens having a lower 800 credit score, plenty of income, all my files sent in diligently and electronically and over $330G in equity... 4 months later and still no closing in sight and lost my lock-in rate (now paying an 1/8 of a point higher with another bank). Original Mortgage Originator quit the bank, assigned to his manager that was slow and did not communicate at all, after complaining to CFPB I was assigned a "corporate advocate", who also never communicated and fell off the face of the earth and now I am filing complaints with Dept. of State, Federal Reserve and BBB. Stay clear from Citizens Bank and go with a mortgage person that communicates well.

Original review: July 9, 2019

I was approved for a Citizens credit card on 6/7/19 and was told the standard line the card would arrive in 7-10 business days. After MORE than the standard 10 days (7/2/19), I called Citizens again to let them know I still had not received the card. This was followed up with a guaranteed overnight delivery via FedEx that should arrive by 7/3 but at the latest 7/5/19 (due to the holiday). Both of those dates came and went and I still did not received the card. Now today (7/8/19), I called again to say I never received the credit card sent through OVERNIGHT mail back on 7/3/19.

The representative promptly begins reciting her script to tell me starting with 1) “Wait an additional 7-10 business days,” then 2) “The tracking number says it was delivered to your address on 7/3,” next 3) “Did you check your mail and are you receiving your other mail,” and finally 4) “I can resend your card AGAIN via FedEx with overnight delivery.”

I was then sent to a manager named Alexa who tells me all they can do is send a THIRD card using the same overnight delivery via FedEx again. Except this time asked could it be sent to my work to guarantee it gets to me. Additionally, I requested the option of a signature requirement upon delivery and was told they can't do that and it's not in their agreement with FedEx. Finally, after being on the phone with these people for 45 minutes, I then I asked for a tracking number this time for the card being mailed to my work. The manager Alexa informed me that they don't receive tracking numbers for credit card deliveries until the DAY THE PACKAGE IS SCHEDULED FOR DELIVERY. I'm honestly amazed at the incompetency of this bank's customer service and I haven't even received my approved card from them!

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 8, 2019

I have had an account for over a year with them. I've been noticing that they will process debits first, before they process deposits.. which oftentimes can make your account go into the negative. And this doesn't show up when you check online. If you rely on online banking, you're scr*w*d. The last time my account went negative, I went into the branch and successfully argued for them to remove the overdraft fee, because the only reason I went negative was they did not process my deposit till after 5p. So my account went negative before bank closing, even though I made my deposit before 8, which is when the ATM says deposits will be processed same day.

After going negative, I went into my account online and set up an overdraft alert. I know I did this. 100 percent. Well, I recently had 2 automated transactions clear last week. When I checked online, I was NOT in the negative on my account, and since I hadn't put any charges through I figured I would be ok. I'm not sure how but somehow I ended up -4. FOUR DOLLARS. This should have triggered my alert. But no, it didn't. Instead they slapped me with an initial overdraft fee of 30. Then when I hadn't rectified it, they slapped me with another. So now I am 65 in the hole. I hardly check this account online..I checked it over the weekend and found all this out.

I was puzzled, as I knew I had set up alerts. When I logged in ALL THE ALERTS WERE OFF. So..what does Citizens Bank do, default your account to ALERTS OFF every few weeks or something? This seems intentional. I know they got into trouble..had a class action lawsuit over their overdraft fees. Looks like it's time for another one because they did NOT learn their lesson.

Original review: June 24, 2019

I have banked with this bank for well over 20 years. I have used online banking for the last 6 plus years. They will no longer allow me to pay my home equity loan, which is with this bank, from my checking account, which is also with this bank. After many hours on the phone, they still refuse to fix their problem. Their solution is for me to go into the bank and pay it out of the same account thru the teller. Ridiculous. The only thing I can figure is they have no knowledge of their own online banking system. Needless to say we are leaving this bank.

Original review: June 21, 2019

They literally screwed, such as inappropriately charging me interesting, restricting my cash back services, rude customer service representatives and other things that I don't really feel like going through all of it, but what I'll say is you bank with them at your own risk.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens Bank?

Original review: June 18, 2019

I got an auto loan through this company. The dealership got it for me. Their website and app to pay my loan were very glitchy in the first place. Once I traded the vehicle in, the dealership took a while to send them the payoff. I informed them I had traded the car in, but they still added me as having made a late payment on my credit report even after I traded the car in. They also refused to remove it from my credit report and were pretty rude about the entire ordeal.

Original review: June 17, 2019

They make any excuse to steal your money, then when you call about it they say "I'm sorry for all the misleading information. I don’t know why they would give you that information." Now I know why they got Sued and lost. Sad that they're still playing the same games after the fact. Read all the reviews before you even think about opening an account with them. You will be regretting it.

Original review: June 14, 2019

I had suspicious activity on my account, called immediately. They cancelled my debit card, overnighted a new one. Fraud continued, 4 more calls, overdraft charges. It had nothing to do with card. It was the account. I'm out over $450. They tell me in a few weeks once they investigate it will be corrected. Why do I have to wait a few weeks? I've never reported fraud to them before, a customer for over 20 years. I think the money would be a very small impact to them. I was disconnected, hung up, no customer service. Typically spoke to India. It was a horrible experience and now I'm changing my bank!!

Original review: June 10, 2019

I opened an online CD account in January, no assistance from any actual employees, I did all the work to open the account and deposit my money. In March, I lost my job. In May, 1 month before starting my new job, realized I was slightly shy on cash and called to access some of the cash, but intending to keep the majority in the account - even open a new one. They wouldn't do partial anything, and the penalty cut into the principal amount. When they suggested I provide documentation to substantiate the hardship, all they can accept is hard copies. So, I do the work online to send in my money and the only way to retain it in a hardship is to spend money and send you hard copy of personal information by snail mail?

I proposed several options that would retain me as a customer with 80% of my original deposit with their bank. Clearly, the penalty is more important than retaining customers and working with them during real life situations. I'm more upset because they are cutting into money I worked really hard for - I understood I shouldn't be entitled to the interest earned, but their penalty was higher than the interest! Nothing comes easy, nothing is free. Will redeposit the balance with our own bank, in a separate account. Less interest and earning potential, but also no aggravation like this. Hope the $117 was worth it.

Original review: June 10, 2019

I was charged fee after fee when trying to close my account!!!! The root of this problem is their super lame mobile app that didn't show the amount of money that I had in real time even though I have checked if I had outstanding payments. Do not bank with them. Period.

Original review: June 7, 2019

I have had this account 4 months. I swear if I even look at my card, I incur a fee. My major issue is I get the same deposits on the same days every single month. I signed my electric bill up for bill pay. Well they processed the bill payment before they posted my direct deposit. They then didn't pay my electric bill but charged me 70.00 in overdraft fees. The electric company then charged me 35.00 for the returned check and now I cannot write a check to them for a year. I am in a fee nightmare. They charge money to get a paper statement last month so I was in the negative. I have news for them, no more money is going into that account EVER. Already cut the card up. I also never received the 400.00 I was supposed to get after opening my account. Even though I went over the direct deposit amount needed in 60 days to receive the 400.00. DO NOT GET AN ACCOUNT HERE!

Original review: June 3, 2019

I have a mortgage loan with Citizens Bank. That process was seamless. Fast forward a couple of months, my escrow payments are not correct. I am paying significantly higher than what I need. I have been calling and calling and have not been able to speak with anyone! On numerous occasions I have been on hold for 30, an hour even two hours!!!! THIS IS HORRIBLE. They are taking my money and now I cannot talk to anyone to fix this issue. DO NOT OPEN AN ACCOUNT WITH THEM.

Original review: June 1, 2019

I have spent the last 1 1/2 years trying to close an account. I have made multiple trips to branches and multiple calls over the phone. After a year of no bills and multiple assurances that the account was closed I received a new bill for $125. I then spent half an hour on the phone speaking with incompetent people. I would suggest running the other way in order to avoid dealing with these people.

Original review: May 29, 2019

Had an account with them since 2013. 6 years later they just debited almost $200 from my savings stating I owed them for a "charge off" on my account. No notice, no letter, no phone call. When I called the customer service they put me in touch with the recovery line. They stated they didn't have a current address or phone number on me which is a complete LIE!!!! Any overdrafts are promptly paid and I owed them nothing. Go into branches all the time and nothing said. Needless to say I will close my account tomorrow after my direct deposit posts. I will also file a complaint with FDIC. Going to a credit union. This isn't ok!!!

Original review: May 25, 2019

Been traveling abroad for the past 12 years with Citizens bank as my desired credit card of choice until recently. Typically I would phone a Citizens rep to report my travel destinations, they would ask for info to confirm my identity and I would provide that information. On this one occasion - after 12 years of traveling abroad - the rep stated he would need to verify my identity via text message. As I explained I'm using a mobile not registered with the bank (mobile phone typically used when traveling internationally) and if needed, I can verify all personal info including the exact amount of my last transaction. The representative denied my request to note my card for travel even after consulting with a supervisor. Fortunately for me I had second credit card on hand and was able to note that card of my travel dates and countries (ALL AUTOMATED) in less than 5 minutes. Needless to say I will close ALL accounts with Citizens as soon as I step foot back on American soil.

Original review: May 23, 2019

There have been issue since the first week I opened an account. I opened a new account and had to wait a 10 days for the card. Fine, no problem but the card comes in my name is incorrect on the card so it can’t be used. Fast forward a few months and they call me to tell me there has been fraudulent activity and they cancel my card and and tell me I’ll need to update all my payments that come out automatically. I didn’t receive the card for over a month. On top of that I removed my money from that account to another I have there and I’m charged an overdraft fee because my payments that they told me would need to be updated are still coming out. I can understand paying for the things that were taken out automatically but you would think they would refund me the overdraft fees for giving me false information. Nope, still requires to pay them as well. I’m definitely closing my accounts.

Original review: May 22, 2019

I opened an account with them, didn’t have any issues at first. Once I set up online banking with them and I started watching everything I noticed fraudulent charges on my account some in which were out of country, never been out of country nor bought anything out of country. So I called them. They would freeze and deactivate my old debit which I was thinking good, until they kept sending my debit card to the wrong address. I opened my account in the branch in the town I lived in. The first 1 I ever got was sent to the right address then they kept sending a new to wrong address, I had to call multiple times about fraud so they kept repeating this over and over again and mailing my new card to wrong address. I had to keep calling FedEx to bring it back to their station so I could pick up up. I still kept getting fraud charges on my account, so I finally had it with them.

I stopped my direct deposits into the account and I called them told them and told them I stopped my direct deposits and wanted to close the account. What made me decide on that was they were racking up overdraft fees and every other type of fees on my account because they were doing nothing about the fraud charges. When I called and told them about the canceling my direct deposits and closing the account I was told by the reps and even a rep manager that they would do it all and do an investigation on all the fraud charges.

After a few months went by they sent me a letter in the mail telling me I owed them over $1500. So I logged back on to my old online info and they never deactivated the account as agreed upon, instead left it fully up and running and allowed charges to continue to go through on it even with me already using another bank for everything. And I watched them rack up all these fees on me on an account I stopped using, stopped adding money to, and told them to close. They wouldn’t stop calling me and sending me mail, so I changed my phone number, but they kept and still keep sending me mail, multiple mail a day telling me I owe them and that I agreed to pay it. I never even spoke to them to agree on anything, and the fact is they are telling me that they have direct access to my USPS info and that If I move they will know without me needing to tell them.

If what they're saying is true that means the USPS allowed them my access info to my account, that or Citizens Bank is yet again commiting fraud and just think they can threaten me with lies. They lie and abuse your account and steal your money then try everything to get you to pay for it. And if you don’t they try reporting you to credit bureaus and or Chexsystems. Don’t bank with these people unless you wanna be robbed by people in suits that say they are a bank.

Original review: May 14, 2019

If I could give this bank a 0 I would. The bank teller Jeffry at the Lower Burrell PA branch is a sarcastic, condescending jerk. Instead of explaining in a professional manner why they can't answer a simple question about MY account he gets condescending and treats you like an idiot. Absolutely REFUSES to show you on a computer at the branch how to set up online banking. Gives you an 800 number to call customer service who tells you to go to the branch for help. Now he's REFUSING to deposit my checks when there's money in the other account from where it's coming from to cover it. It's a HUGE runaround.

Also another teller transferred the wrong funds to a wrong account and ended up overdrawing the one account. When I complained about their incompetence they said there was nothing they could do about it. Sorry, you're SOL. Their response ALWAYS is "I can't tell you that" about any little question about YOUR account. If you want to keep your sanity DO NOT BANK AT CITIZENS BANK!!!

Original review: May 11, 2019

The bank is living before the stone age. I started with them because of great mortgage loan rates. (Better than my other Banks). My first month I try to pay my mortgage from my account & every time I do it keeps sending me to another site. It wants me to sign up so I do but it won't let me without approval. This is on a weekend (my days off). I search around & can only get approval when I'm at work but my company is strict on personal phone use at work. The whole process was a big hassle. I get signed up & you have to jump through hoops for a password, but I still can't pay my mortgage through my account.

I finally get to where I'm set & the next month I can't use my password & have to go through the same crap again to reset my password to make my payment. Every time you transfer money between regular bank accounts you don't know if the money moves out not because nothing changes to indicate it has happened so if you attempt to move the money twice it could move once or twice and then you bounce a check for insufficient funds. You never know what is going to happen. Then you can only reverse one insufficient funds free per year. Though you can't see your money move or know that it happened or not if something goes wrong it is automatically your fault. So in turn they steal your money by blaming their crappy online system on your doing things wrong. How do I know if I do it right or wrong if I can't see my money move???!!! The worst bank I've ever dealt with in my life.

Their ATM turned my $2200 check into $220000 and ate my ATM card and I couldn't get it back for over 1 week then never turned it back on for me so I got rejected the next time I went to deposit into another ATM. Most recently I was playing on my mortgage & didn't see my money move once again and I've been charged 2 overdraft fees in just a matter of days. I give this bank 5 negative stars. Sad thing is the people in the bank are great to work with but their hands are tied in most all of this crap and nobody seems to want to listen to them or me in any of this crap.

Complaints??? There is nobody to complain to. I searched all over to find a way to complain with no luck till I found this page. I did find a loan officers FB page & complained thinking it was the bank's page. He was quite upset with me and asked me to remove my post as it was affecting his business to which I apologise & removed the post. I later found him again on im and he said he no longer worked for them and was somewhere else so I congratulated him on the strip up.

This bank is horrible & I will not be using them much longer. I paid it about $10k and will probably have to pay another 10k just to dump them. I would have been better if to keep my higher interest rate than to go with them. I wish I had found this info before I decided to use them. Don't put yourself through the headache of dealing with them. Run away. Run far far away as quickly as possible.

Original review: May 7, 2019

When calling Citizens Bank Cust Service line, you are on hold each and every time for at least 5 mins! The call is answered by an overseas office - India in my case - and the language barrier makes it impossible to have a quick and easy call after waiting for someone to pick up. I have asked to be transferred to an American office and have been left holding for another 15 mins with NO ONE picking up the line. All of this in the middle of my work day. After calling back AGAIN - I was forced to speak to a person in India who, after being put on hold once again, was not able to understand nor correct the issue I was having. He just kept repeating the same sentences over and over again. I am through with Citizens. There are so many companies wanting to pay me $300-$400 to open a checking account with them. It is now time.

Original review: May 3, 2019

A fraudulent charge was made in another state (GA - I live in MN) at a Mariott Hotel for $980 OVER my limit. Not only should the charge have been declined by Citizens, but it should have rung alarm bells and been reported immediately to me as being a strange charge. Ten years back, Bank Of America, notified me immediately by phone about a charge made in the UK and also IMMEDIATELY refunded the amount to my card. Their mistake, their cost.

So, after finding the fraud myself on my bill and calling Citizens, I was told that yes, they concur it is a fraud and yes, it should have been declined because it went almost $1000 over my balance (I have been declined by this card for $12 over, mind you!). But "OH SORRY.. YOU will have to keep the $980 charge on your card for up to three billing cycles" (THREE MONTHS!), meaning that I would not be able to use nearly $1000 for three months. I was on the hook for Citizens mistake, and would be responsible for "loaning" the money to them for their mistake!

Furious, I borrowed 8,000 (at zero interest!) and paid off their card and cancelled the account. What a load of BS! Hilarious, really, since my credit just shy of 800 AND I've been a customer of theirs since 1998! This company feels its borrowers are trapped and they can do whatever they please. GOOD RIDDANCE!! Anyone who accepts this company is a fool. This is not the only problem I have had with them, but I never complained and was always polite even when it killed me - this was totally unacceptable.

FINALLY, 5 MONTHS AFTER paying the balance in full and cancelling the card, I got someone to say they will send me a check for the few dollars I overpaid (they could only give an estimate on payoff balance 5 months ago) and finally stop the statements to a card that doesn't exist (I HOPE). The account (by phone) continues to say I have access to all credit - though the card was cancelled. I have checked twice with Citizens and have been assured, but these people are morons and I will have to keep an eye on my credit.

AND BY THE WAY, CITIZENS BANK: You do know you were making more from me on interest while I kept a balance on this stupid card. You lost much more money treating a customer as if they had no choice but to pay for your stupidity and poor service. So glad to be free of the debt, and free from your awful company. A CUSTOMER SHOULD NOT PAY FOR FRAUDULENT CHARGES THAT EVERY OTHER COMPANY REFUNDS ON THE SPOT. Also... you should have caught it, while we're at it. Your service personnel is rude, lazy, unapologetic, and stupid. And so are your policies. Anyone reading this: choose literally any other company for credit. Fraud charges should be refunded immediately, not left for you to suck up for three months. Be sure to check your lender's policy!

Original review: May 3, 2019

I have never had so many issues with a bank as I am having with the Citizens Bank in Newtonville. I opened an account for my 16-year-old daughter with Jay the manager well over 3 months ago and Jay has misinformed me from the day I met him. The promotion offered to me, required one direct deposit of $1,000 to get $400 (below screenshot) which I complied with. To qualify for a new checking bonus you must open your first new personal checking account, excluding Student Checking, between 1/31/19 and 5/16/19 and have at least one single direct deposit post to your new checking account by the date stated in the table below based on your account open date.

Bonus amount and payout date will vary (see tables below for details). If single direct deposit is at least: Bonus will be: $500 $200, $1,000 $400, $2,000 $600. Account(s) opened in month of: Single $500 Direct Deposit to new checking account: Bonus will be paid by: January 2019 March 31, 2019 April 30, 2019; February 2019 April 30, 2019 May 31, 2019; March 2019 May 31, 2019 June 30, 2019; April 2019 June 30, 2019 July 31, 2019; May 2019 July 31, 2019 August 31, 2019.

To make matters worse, I was charged a $9.99 monthly maintenance fee for a student account that Jay specified would have no fees. I have called the bank numerous times in the last couple of months to speak to Jay and he hasn’t returned one call, strange when the branch manager doesn’t want to speak to his customers?!? I have spoken to Justin, Will and another gentleman whose name I don’t recall. During my conversation with Justin I was told that the maintenance fees were being waived and guaranteed me that I would get the promotional deposit on April 25th. He also assured me that he would follow up with me and unfortunately, both promises were not kept. Jay keeps avoiding call and worse not returning them! I hope that someone at the corporate level can look into this and please get back to me.

Original review: May 2, 2019

I've been with Citizens Bank for over fifteen years, checking, savings, home equity loan. Ten years never made a late payment to this bank or any other creditors of mine. I put a payment in and it was one day late. This bank reported me to my credit report. I have always maintained a 100 percent on time payment on my credit reports with all my credit cards and car loans. Now because I was one day off, without any phone calls or warnings from Citizens. They reported me and my credit score dropped 50 points and I no longer have a perfect payment history. This bank had no care for their clients. I will pass my experience off to everyone I meet. Hopefully I can put a little dent in their reputation.

Original review: April 30, 2019

**, Bart **. Worst customer service agent I have ever dealt with in my life. Wouldn't even work with us or try to help us with a refinance. Told us go with the other guys because the other companies said they would approve us but he was having a hard time doing so, so he basically brushed me off. What the heck is that? Crazy. I am glad we didn't go with them anyways, what a joke.

Original review: April 20, 2019

They sent me a misleading letter saying it was 0% for 15 months. I opened an account. It gave me a low limit, thank god because they charged me interest rate. Also this bank online website is terrible. Eventually I got no apologies about the misleading rate and I went ahead and just shut down the account. Don't use them.

Original review: April 16, 2019

This is the absolute worst bank I have ever had an experience with. They do not give one single ** about you or your money. I had $11 in my account and someone UNAUTHORIZED attempted to take out $975… and this ** place let them! So I am now down over $1000 because of this banks carelessness. No one called me. No one locked my card. They didn’t find it suspicious. I have never spent that much money in one rip in my entire life. When I called them about it they couldn’t have given a ** less. This entire company is ** and so are the people that run it. ** every single one of you. You just lost a customer of 3 years and I will never ** recommend you ** to anybody.

Original review: April 10, 2019

Was sent multiple letters about refinancing my home. I inquired about this product at a local branch they sent my information to the mortgage lender in State College PA. The finance officer emails an approval letter then asks for employment information. The loan officer stated since I’m self employed that most banks considered people like us second rate citizens which I found offensive. So anyone who is self employed don’t bother wasting your time with this bank. You’ll get nothing but a back door insult.

Original review: April 9, 2019

Opened account and wasnt aware had to direct deposit to get bonus. Worst banking experience I ever received. Misleading just to get a customer. Didn't offer any other solution. Didn't think business was this bad to lie to customers. I wouldn't recommend this bank to anyone.

Original review: April 3, 2019

My mother died about one and one half weeks ago. I was POD (payable on death) of her 4 accounts. I had valid death certificate from Funeral Home with raised seal. Went into branch with my photo ID (license) and was REFUSED service. The woman was rude and uncaring. Didn't even say she was sorry my mother was dead! And would NOT let me take over the accounts or get my money. I was very upset. Went to M&T and they were great. Completely different attitude. Don't try to get your money if you are a beneficiary because they will give you a hard time. I had to call my estate lawyer.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I've hated this bank since the day I've opened it, I had a bank to bank transfer and the damn thing didnt get approved for over a week then we tried to deposit so instead of putting the money in my account I went negative a few thousand and was charged overdraft which then they closed my damn account! Ugh I'm so frustrated for Christ's sake I couldn't even cash my work Paychex check without waiting a week for the damn thing to deposit in my account and while all that deposit chaos was going on they put the little money I did have on hold and froze my whole account.

I will be going there to have them take off the couple thousands because I need that for school not to pay for a stupid fee on their part because of them screwing everything up. I even called to try and resolve it over the phone but nope they cant help me so guess I'll be switching banks. I am still young but I AM NOT STUPID. I'm very aware of how banking works and I think they try to take advantage of me. *End rant. (So angry will never have another account here, I recommend this bank to nobody. It should be closed because from what I read they have nothing in order.)

Citizens Bank Company Information