3.14/5

409 Citizens Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 25, 2019

Been traveling abroad for the past 12 years with Citizens bank as my desired credit card of choice until recently. Typically I would phone a Citizens rep to report my travel destinations, they would ask for info to confirm my identity and I would provide that information. On this one occasion - after 12 years of traveling abroad - the rep stated he would need to verify my identity via text message. As I explained I'm using a mobile not registered with the bank (mobile phone typically used when traveling internationally) and if needed, I can verify all personal info including the exact amount of my last transaction. The representative denied my request to note my card for travel even after consulting with a supervisor. Fortunately for me I had second credit card on hand and was able to note that card of my travel dates and countries (ALL AUTOMATED) in less than 5 minutes. Needless to say I will close ALL accounts with Citizens as soon as I step foot back on American soil.

Original review: May 23, 2019

There have been issue since the first week I opened an account. I opened a new account and had to wait a 10 days for the card. Fine, no problem but the card comes in my name is incorrect on the card so it can’t be used. Fast forward a few months and they call me to tell me there has been fraudulent activity and they cancel my card and and tell me I’ll need to update all my payments that come out automatically. I didn’t receive the card for over a month. On top of that I removed my money from that account to another I have there and I’m charged an overdraft fee because my payments that they told me would need to be updated are still coming out. I can understand paying for the things that were taken out automatically but you would think they would refund me the overdraft fees for giving me false information. Nope, still requires to pay them as well. I’m definitely closing my accounts.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 22, 2019

I opened an account with them, didn’t have any issues at first. Once I set up online banking with them and I started watching everything I noticed fraudulent charges on my account some in which were out of country, never been out of country nor bought anything out of country. So I called them. They would freeze and deactivate my old debit which I was thinking good, until they kept sending my debit card to the wrong address. I opened my account in the branch in the town I lived in. The first 1 I ever got was sent to the right address then they kept sending a new to wrong address, I had to call multiple times about fraud so they kept repeating this over and over again and mailing my new card to wrong address. I had to keep calling FedEx to bring it back to their station so I could pick up up. I still kept getting fraud charges on my account, so I finally had it with them.

I stopped my direct deposits into the account and I called them told them and told them I stopped my direct deposits and wanted to close the account. What made me decide on that was they were racking up overdraft fees and every other type of fees on my account because they were doing nothing about the fraud charges. When I called and told them about the canceling my direct deposits and closing the account I was told by the reps and even a rep manager that they would do it all and do an investigation on all the fraud charges.

After a few months went by they sent me a letter in the mail telling me I owed them over $1500. So I logged back on to my old online info and they never deactivated the account as agreed upon, instead left it fully up and running and allowed charges to continue to go through on it even with me already using another bank for everything. And I watched them rack up all these fees on me on an account I stopped using, stopped adding money to, and told them to close. They wouldn’t stop calling me and sending me mail, so I changed my phone number, but they kept and still keep sending me mail, multiple mail a day telling me I owe them and that I agreed to pay it. I never even spoke to them to agree on anything, and the fact is they are telling me that they have direct access to my USPS info and that If I move they will know without me needing to tell them.

If what they're saying is true that means the USPS allowed them my access info to my account, that or Citizens Bank is yet again commiting fraud and just think they can threaten me with lies. They lie and abuse your account and steal your money then try everything to get you to pay for it. And if you don’t they try reporting you to credit bureaus and or Chexsystems. Don’t bank with these people unless you wanna be robbed by people in suits that say they are a bank.

Original review: May 14, 2019

If I could give this bank a 0 I would. The bank teller Jeffry at the Lower Burrell PA branch is a sarcastic, condescending jerk. Instead of explaining in a professional manner why they can't answer a simple question about MY account he gets condescending and treats you like an idiot. Absolutely REFUSES to show you on a computer at the branch how to set up online banking. Gives you an 800 number to call customer service who tells you to go to the branch for help. Now he's REFUSING to deposit my checks when there's money in the other account from where it's coming from to cover it. It's a HUGE runaround.

Also another teller transferred the wrong funds to a wrong account and ended up overdrawing the one account. When I complained about their incompetence they said there was nothing they could do about it. Sorry, you're SOL. Their response ALWAYS is "I can't tell you that" about any little question about YOUR account. If you want to keep your sanity DO NOT BANK AT CITIZENS BANK!!!

Original review: May 11, 2019

The bank is living before the stone age. I started with them because of great mortgage loan rates. (Better than my other Banks). My first month I try to pay my mortgage from my account & every time I do it keeps sending me to another site. It wants me to sign up so I do but it won't let me without approval. This is on a weekend (my days off). I search around & can only get approval when I'm at work but my company is strict on personal phone use at work. The whole process was a big hassle. I get signed up & you have to jump through hoops for a password, but I still can't pay my mortgage through my account.

I finally get to where I'm set & the next month I can't use my password & have to go through the same crap again to reset my password to make my payment. Every time you transfer money between regular bank accounts you don't know if the money moves out not because nothing changes to indicate it has happened so if you attempt to move the money twice it could move once or twice and then you bounce a check for insufficient funds. You never know what is going to happen. Then you can only reverse one insufficient funds free per year. Though you can't see your money move or know that it happened or not if something goes wrong it is automatically your fault. So in turn they steal your money by blaming their crappy online system on your doing things wrong. How do I know if I do it right or wrong if I can't see my money move???!!! The worst bank I've ever dealt with in my life.

Their ATM turned my $2200 check into $220000 and ate my ATM card and I couldn't get it back for over 1 week then never turned it back on for me so I got rejected the next time I went to deposit into another ATM. Most recently I was playing on my mortgage & didn't see my money move once again and I've been charged 2 overdraft fees in just a matter of days. I give this bank 5 negative stars. Sad thing is the people in the bank are great to work with but their hands are tied in most all of this crap and nobody seems to want to listen to them or me in any of this crap.

Complaints??? There is nobody to complain to. I searched all over to find a way to complain with no luck till I found this page. I did find a loan officers FB page & complained thinking it was the bank's page. He was quite upset with me and asked me to remove my post as it was affecting his business to which I apologise & removed the post. I later found him again on im and he said he no longer worked for them and was somewhere else so I congratulated him on the strip up.

This bank is horrible & I will not be using them much longer. I paid it about $10k and will probably have to pay another 10k just to dump them. I would have been better if to keep my higher interest rate than to go with them. I wish I had found this info before I decided to use them. Don't put yourself through the headache of dealing with them. Run away. Run far far away as quickly as possible.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens Bank?

Original review: May 7, 2019

When calling Citizens Bank Cust Service line, you are on hold each and every time for at least 5 mins! The call is answered by an overseas office - India in my case - and the language barrier makes it impossible to have a quick and easy call after waiting for someone to pick up. I have asked to be transferred to an American office and have been left holding for another 15 mins with NO ONE picking up the line. All of this in the middle of my work day. After calling back AGAIN - I was forced to speak to a person in India who, after being put on hold once again, was not able to understand nor correct the issue I was having. He just kept repeating the same sentences over and over again. I am through with Citizens. There are so many companies wanting to pay me $300-$400 to open a checking account with them. It is now time.

Original review: May 3, 2019

A fraudulent charge was made in another state (GA - I live in MN) at a Mariott Hotel for $980 OVER my limit. Not only should the charge have been declined by Citizens, but it should have rung alarm bells and been reported immediately to me as being a strange charge. Ten years back, Bank Of America, notified me immediately by phone about a charge made in the UK and also IMMEDIATELY refunded the amount to my card. Their mistake, their cost.

So, after finding the fraud myself on my bill and calling Citizens, I was told that yes, they concur it is a fraud and yes, it should have been declined because it went almost $1000 over my balance (I have been declined by this card for $12 over, mind you!). But "OH SORRY.. YOU will have to keep the $980 charge on your card for up to three billing cycles" (THREE MONTHS!), meaning that I would not be able to use nearly $1000 for three months. I was on the hook for Citizens mistake, and would be responsible for "loaning" the money to them for their mistake!

Furious, I borrowed 8,000 (at zero interest!) and paid off their card and cancelled the account. What a load of BS! Hilarious, really, since my credit just shy of 800 AND I've been a customer of theirs since 1998! This company feels its borrowers are trapped and they can do whatever they please. GOOD RIDDANCE!! Anyone who accepts this company is a fool. This is not the only problem I have had with them, but I never complained and was always polite even when it killed me - this was totally unacceptable.

FINALLY, 5 MONTHS AFTER paying the balance in full and cancelling the card, I got someone to say they will send me a check for the few dollars I overpaid (they could only give an estimate on payoff balance 5 months ago) and finally stop the statements to a card that doesn't exist (I HOPE). The account (by phone) continues to say I have access to all credit - though the card was cancelled. I have checked twice with Citizens and have been assured, but these people are morons and I will have to keep an eye on my credit.

AND BY THE WAY, CITIZENS BANK: You do know you were making more from me on interest while I kept a balance on this stupid card. You lost much more money treating a customer as if they had no choice but to pay for your stupidity and poor service. So glad to be free of the debt, and free from your awful company. A CUSTOMER SHOULD NOT PAY FOR FRAUDULENT CHARGES THAT EVERY OTHER COMPANY REFUNDS ON THE SPOT. Also... you should have caught it, while we're at it. Your service personnel is rude, lazy, unapologetic, and stupid. And so are your policies. Anyone reading this: choose literally any other company for credit. Fraud charges should be refunded immediately, not left for you to suck up for three months. Be sure to check your lender's policy!

Original review: May 3, 2019

I have never had so many issues with a bank as I am having with the Citizens Bank in Newtonville. I opened an account for my 16-year-old daughter with Jay the manager well over 3 months ago and Jay has misinformed me from the day I met him. The promotion offered to me, required one direct deposit of $1,000 to get $400 (below screenshot) which I complied with. To qualify for a new checking bonus you must open your first new personal checking account, excluding Student Checking, between 1/31/19 and 5/16/19 and have at least one single direct deposit post to your new checking account by the date stated in the table below based on your account open date.

Bonus amount and payout date will vary (see tables below for details). If single direct deposit is at least: Bonus will be: $500 $200, $1,000 $400, $2,000 $600. Account(s) opened in month of: Single $500 Direct Deposit to new checking account: Bonus will be paid by: January 2019 March 31, 2019 April 30, 2019; February 2019 April 30, 2019 May 31, 2019; March 2019 May 31, 2019 June 30, 2019; April 2019 June 30, 2019 July 31, 2019; May 2019 July 31, 2019 August 31, 2019.

To make matters worse, I was charged a $9.99 monthly maintenance fee for a student account that Jay specified would have no fees. I have called the bank numerous times in the last couple of months to speak to Jay and he hasn’t returned one call, strange when the branch manager doesn’t want to speak to his customers?!? I have spoken to Justin, Will and another gentleman whose name I don’t recall. During my conversation with Justin I was told that the maintenance fees were being waived and guaranteed me that I would get the promotional deposit on April 25th. He also assured me that he would follow up with me and unfortunately, both promises were not kept. Jay keeps avoiding call and worse not returning them! I hope that someone at the corporate level can look into this and please get back to me.

Original review: May 2, 2019

I've been with Citizens Bank for over fifteen years, checking, savings, home equity loan. Ten years never made a late payment to this bank or any other creditors of mine. I put a payment in and it was one day late. This bank reported me to my credit report. I have always maintained a 100 percent on time payment on my credit reports with all my credit cards and car loans. Now because I was one day off, without any phone calls or warnings from Citizens. They reported me and my credit score dropped 50 points and I no longer have a perfect payment history. This bank had no care for their clients. I will pass my experience off to everyone I meet. Hopefully I can put a little dent in their reputation.

Original review: April 30, 2019

**, Bart **. Worst customer service agent I have ever dealt with in my life. Wouldn't even work with us or try to help us with a refinance. Told us go with the other guys because the other companies said they would approve us but he was having a hard time doing so, so he basically brushed me off. What the heck is that? Crazy. I am glad we didn't go with them anyways, what a joke.

Original review: April 20, 2019

They sent me a misleading letter saying it was 0% for 15 months. I opened an account. It gave me a low limit, thank god because they charged me interest rate. Also this bank online website is terrible. Eventually I got no apologies about the misleading rate and I went ahead and just shut down the account. Don't use them.

Original review: April 16, 2019

This is the absolute worst bank I have ever had an experience with. They do not give one single ** about you or your money. I had $11 in my account and someone UNAUTHORIZED attempted to take out $975… and this ** place let them! So I am now down over $1000 because of this banks carelessness. No one called me. No one locked my card. They didn’t find it suspicious. I have never spent that much money in one rip in my entire life. When I called them about it they couldn’t have given a ** less. This entire company is ** and so are the people that run it. ** every single one of you. You just lost a customer of 3 years and I will never ** recommend you ** to anybody.

Original review: April 10, 2019

Was sent multiple letters about refinancing my home. I inquired about this product at a local branch they sent my information to the mortgage lender in State College PA. The finance officer emails an approval letter then asks for employment information. The loan officer stated since I’m self employed that most banks considered people like us second rate citizens which I found offensive. So anyone who is self employed don’t bother wasting your time with this bank. You’ll get nothing but a back door insult.

Original review: April 9, 2019

Opened account and wasnt aware had to direct deposit to get bonus. Worst banking experience I ever received. Misleading just to get a customer. Didn't offer any other solution. Didn't think business was this bad to lie to customers. I wouldn't recommend this bank to anyone.

Original review: April 3, 2019

My mother died about one and one half weeks ago. I was POD (payable on death) of her 4 accounts. I had valid death certificate from Funeral Home with raised seal. Went into branch with my photo ID (license) and was REFUSED service. The woman was rude and uncaring. Didn't even say she was sorry my mother was dead! And would NOT let me take over the accounts or get my money. I was very upset. Went to M&T and they were great. Completely different attitude. Don't try to get your money if you are a beneficiary because they will give you a hard time. I had to call my estate lawyer.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I've hated this bank since the day I've opened it, I had a bank to bank transfer and the damn thing didnt get approved for over a week then we tried to deposit so instead of putting the money in my account I went negative a few thousand and was charged overdraft which then they closed my damn account! Ugh I'm so frustrated for Christ's sake I couldn't even cash my work Paychex check without waiting a week for the damn thing to deposit in my account and while all that deposit chaos was going on they put the little money I did have on hold and froze my whole account.

I will be going there to have them take off the couple thousands because I need that for school not to pay for a stupid fee on their part because of them screwing everything up. I even called to try and resolve it over the phone but nope they cant help me so guess I'll be switching banks. I am still young but I AM NOT STUPID. I'm very aware of how banking works and I think they try to take advantage of me. *End rant. (So angry will never have another account here, I recommend this bank to nobody. It should be closed because from what I read they have nothing in order.)

Original review: March 26, 2019

My wife went to branch to close an account she no longer needed. Instead, they closed an account in my name only that I have my SS deposited into. Luckily I checked my account online and found it closed. My check was due in about 10 days, had I not checked my account my SS check deposit would have been returned. That would mean no food or bill paying for a month. They blamed my wife because she signed the slip the teller gave her. Stupid error - the account didn't have her name on it.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I have never had so many issues paying a bill. Just signed up a car loan with them. First when you pay a bill online, you have to omit the first two zeros of the account number to sign up. I understand most companies do this, but there are 6 zeros, so how would I know to only omit the first 2. I only found out when I called in. Then their service doesn't work on mobile. Glitches all around. Then on an actual computer, still issues logging in. Finally paid, but hours later. I will be switching to another auto finance company that avoids making this so complicated.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I ordered checks from a branch I was told they would be $9.99 when I check my account a week later I seen they cost $27.I called customer service was told I would be refunded for the checks and any overdraft fees. Had to argue with a manager they will only refund you a overdraft fee once a year. Seems nobody ever knows what the policies or rules are. They are all over the place. I WILL BE CLOSING MY ACCOUNT!

Original review: March 14, 2019

So, if you sign up for text/e-mail messages when you 'accidentally' overdraft, you would expect to be notified the DAY of overdraft right? Wrong. They are so kind to let you know AFTER they charge you overdraft fees. Thank you Citizens - a day late and dollar short is truly 'customer service'; NOT.

Original review: March 8, 2019

It seems like whoever takes the call in the student loan department has no knowledge of what is being asked and they immediately transfer you to the next person. This goes on from person to person until someone gives you an inaccurate answer. If you call 3 times, you will get 3 different responses from each one of them. My son took out a student loan from them but he did not need the money because he got a lot of scholarships. We called them several times not to disburse the loan to the university but they still did because they can charge us interest, if nothing else. We are already researching other loan options from other lenders.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Citizens Bank had given me wrong information when I called the customer service. I ended up putting money to cover some transactions that the lady told me would be possible and they still charge me anyway.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I received a torn $20 bill with my withdrawal from Machine Bank. Told me that it was their policy not to replace ripped bills so I was just out. I walked over to the Fifth Third Bank and they replaced it no problem. It was like night and day difference. I went back to Citizens to finish my deposit. Relayed my experience at Fifth Third and told him after 30 years of business with them I could not believe how they treat their customers since I was getting a little older gentleman walked up and said he would gladly close my accounts for me right now if I would like. I told him I will switch to Fifth Third but on my time because I still have checks out. I have financed two houses through this bank and they even know me by name and this is how they treated me. I would not recommend Citizens Bank to anyone ever.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I am a graduate student in Boston, MA attempting to finish a Master's Degree in Clinical Mental Health Counseling. To obtain this degree you are required to do 2 unpaid internships. I am in my second internship working with at risk youth in inner-city Boston. Not only is the internship unpaid, but it costs A LOT of money as it is part of the degree program. Consequently, I am dependent on financial aid to pay rent, bills, food, etc.

My account at Citizens became overdrawn in January 2019. I reasoned that, when I received my financial aid via direct deposit into my Citizens account, the balance would be covered and I could pay rent, bills, etc. On 2/11/19 I received electronic notification that my school had send $8,000 plus dollars via direct deposit to my Citizens account. I checked my account. It was no longer overdrawn, but the balance was $0. I called and was told, "We closed your account because it was overdrawn for too long."

I received NO notification that the account was closed. 2/11/19 was the first time I was told, "Our recovery department will send a check to the address we have on file once we check and make sure the funds are good, please hold." I was put on hold. The staff person came back and said, "Funds are verified. We will get a check in the mail to you tomorrow. It is now 2/28. We have turned of internet, electricity, heat, and hot water to save money. Let me tell you, living in Boston without heat in the winter is rough. A good side effect is that I've dropped 2 sizes in the past month because I can't afford food. Poverty is truly the best diet.

I am not naive enough to think Citizens Bank cares about any of these circumstances, but I thought they would keep their word, stop holding my school funds hostage, and would send me my check when they first promised... not said... but PROMISED, they would, which was 2/11/19. I was just informed not 5 minutes ago that the check was never sent (Keep in mind, I have called at least 7 times since that first call on 2/11, each time being met with the same process, "Please hold while we verify the funds, funds are verified, we are emailing to have your check sent immediately).

Now, facing eviction, I have consulted legal advice. It seems I will have to drop out of school (I was only supposed to have 3 months until I graduate by the way), so that I can work a paid job. It is too late to withdraw from the semester with courses refunded. So, I will be paying for not one, but two extra semester of school because I will have to restart my second internship in the fall. Citizens Bank, in one month, has exposed me to living without heat and electricity in the cold New England winter. Citizens Bank has provided me with the experience of living in true poverty. Citizens Bank has triggered a depression so intense, I have been prescribed mood elevators which are drastically affecting multiple parts of my psyche. Citizens Bank has pushed my relationship with my partner to the breaking point.

I wish Citizens Bank had been honest from day one. I wish when I asked, "Can you set up a checking account with NO overdraft fees? e.g., if I don't have the funds, the purchase is declined?" Citizens Bank said "Yes." This was a lie. I wish Citizens Bank had told me they were going to close my account. They never did. I wish Citizens Bank didn't lie about sending me a check. This lie caused me to lie to my landlord who has reached the end of his grace.

Citizens Bank has walked me through what has been the worst banking experience of my life. The side effects of these experiences will be affecting my life for the foreseeable future. As I go public with my story via YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, I leave my comments here for the edification of other young professionals seeking higher education who do not come from money or privilege. This bank will add to your stress and steal your money. Look elsewhere. Any place else. Horrible horrible horrible experience.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Approved by them for mortgage then just before closing they 'reneged.' My credit score had dropped before closing, because we had moved out of our old house and unbeknownst to us missed a bill payment that went to collections. I was also never made aware they were doing repeat checks (partly affecting score). They agreed, looking at our finances, we could easily close and make payments but the sticking point was the FICO score.

Multiple calls and emails to rectify situation were frustrating because they stopped responding and required repeated messages and emails to elicit replies as to status of loan. They've pulled my credit 8 times in the past 3-4 weeks. Communication has been abysmal throughout this highly stressful situation. In addition to this they had kept sending us incorrect terms to sign repeatedly (wrong loan amount, wrong term). They also kept requesting us to send them the same information over and over again because they just seemed to be unaware it had already been sent. After being led on for several weeks after our initial closing date we have finally given up on them. And we are houseless... I would never recommend them or ever use them again.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Stay away from this bank as far as possible otherwise they will suck all your money. This is by far the worst bank I ever have. To close the account, you have to make the balance to be exactly 0. Otherwise you have to go to their branches, which are so few. If you overdraft by any chance, they will charge $50 for every three days. And they will not notify you by any ways, just secretly stole your money.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Citizens is the "Robin Hood" of banks!! Like many here, I check my account regularly. I woke up with my account in the positive and by midday, I had a negative balance, yet my account still showed there was money in it. I called, sadly, the last two customer reps I talked to were sympathetic, one agreed that he did still see money in my account. But the arrogant manager we spoke to, Shawn **, was not budging not sympathetic. In fact his tone was very condescending. As soon as I can untie myself from this bank, I'm heading to a credit union. I can't afford to keep paying them to keep their doors open, when I'm trying to keep a roof over my head. It's time to talk to someone with a law degree!!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Sometimes struggling companies start breaking rules when the end is near and that is the case with Citizens Bank. Banking with Citizens has gotten so bad that you literally have to take screenshots of your transaction for every purchase and deposit you make if you want to be reimbursed for wrongful fees. Also if you get paid or make deposits after 7 pm Thursday the funds will not be available until the following Tuesday morning (see funds availability policy). Debits however are immediately withdrawn 24 hours a day 7 days a week and any funds on hold will not cover the debits so you will be charged $35 for each transaction. There are a lot of good banks and it's best to thoroughly research their policies before choosing the one that's best for your needs but I would stay clear of Citizens Bank.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I was on vacation in North Conway, NH and went to withdraw money from the Citizens Bank there. The bank teller was extremely unprofessional and disrespectful. I asked for 20 dollar bills and the teller said it was an inconvenience. Most establishments do not accept 100 bills so I asked him to try to accommodate me since I would be spending money in their local economy. It was only a few hundred dollars, so it should have not been a problem.

He counted off the bills and left them scattered across the counter. Then he looked at the teller next to him and started a conversation. I stood there in disbelief that he left my money scattered across the counter instead of placing them in a stack or giving me a receipt. He looked back at me and said, "Why the ** is she still there?" I am absolutely disgusted at this bank and the level of unprofessionalism there. I don't know if the teller was racist or just a horrible person in general. Whichever it is, he's not good for tourism or Citizens bank.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

Awful experience. FYI don’t call contact for loan. They screw up paperwork and are not held accountable. Also racially bias. What loan processor asks what’s your nationality when they have your application details. Don’t have Tina ** process your paperwork. She will misplace your fax, not return emails and place blame that you didn’t call the 1800 # in time. Also screening credit twice. She had an agenda well played.

Citizens Bank Company Information