1.10/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Citizens Bank

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Citizens Bank Reviews

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

I deposited a payroll check and a 10 day hold was placed on the check with the bank saying they were unable to verify funds or check validity. I called the issuing bank and the business accountant - there was no issue with the check. I called customer service and my local branch asking if they could please speak with the local bank, who could verify the validity of the check. They refused. Cut to a week later, the issuing bank said the check cleared and funds were sent to Citizens. Despite the check being valid, and the funds reaching Citizens, they STILL refuse to release the hold.

I've spoken to multiple managers and this is their final say. I've never had such an insane experience with my money being in limbo for literally no reason. I explained that I have bills that are bouncing because of the check not clearing my account. They do not care and I've never had people speak to me with such condescension. They all but outright said that they think I was trying to defraud them of money....on a valid payroll check that I deposit once a month. It's insanity. The second the check clears (which at this point might be a year from now), I'm closing my account. DO NOT USE THIS BANK.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

Paid off an RV loan after 11 good years. Received title and payoff letter, sold the RV, 40 days later they hit my credit and said I owed them $238 more. Paid them $238 and Received another payoff letter. Then they sent me a check for $238, from the CHAIRMAN'S office stating it was a show of good faith, but got a call a week later that they made a mistake and the check was canceled. 16 calls total, 4 cases opened and they say we are square.... I don't believe it. Stay Away from this Bank, they don't know what they are doing, even the "Chairman."

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

I had multiple fraud problems and this last one they are refusing to refund me almost $2000! They said with a business checking I should be checking my account every 24 hours. I noticed about a month after the fraud took place as I don't even use this account and they are refusing my claim! Shame on them for failing to protect my money and not refunding me! I literally used this account one time to order checks. How can fraud take place!?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

Had a student loan that was defaulted and transferred to Citizens Bank back in 2016. Apparently Citizens Bank never filed the proper paperwork with the credit bureaus at that time. Fast forward about 4 years and out of the blue last month, my credit score drops 93 points due to my citizens bank student loan. Upon contacting the chairman's office at citizens, I was literally told "we don't know what happened". I have not gotten any updates, my phone calls and voicemails went ignored for three weeks until I finally went through a different channel... Still no ownership or explanation about my account though...

Been in contact with the BBB as well, and citizens bank still has no idea what happened (or so they say). Truth be told I'm sure they ** up back in 2016 and don't want to admit it. I just checked the record of all payments I've made and it appears they have not been being applied to my accounts. Also checked with the credit bureaus and my accounts aren't even listed... They have totally screwed me over with the credit bureaus and have done nothing to correct this error. I now have to try getting a lawyer that will help sort this out, and hopefully audit the bank and see how many other people that have been screwed over by making so many errors. These big banks don't seem to have standards or have to follow the rules like the rest of us and it's total BS...

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

Discovered five days prior to a mortgage refinance closing that my Citizen's Home Equity was never discharged at the registry of deeds which was paid off approx 10 years ago. After numerous phone transfers finally got to the correct department who took the information and assigned a case number. I called back 2 days later, was told that the discharge was mailed to my mailing address and would receive in 5-7 days. Ok, great! Asked if they could fax or email a copy to my closing attorney so I could close when scheduled. "I'm sorry we cannot do that you will have to wait for the original in the mail." Asked if they could send a copy to the closest branch and I could go in and pick it up, same reply. So here I am, waiting for the document and had to cancel my closing. All my closing attorney needed to close was "proof" that I would be receiving the original. Customer Service is awful, exactly why I left as a customer 10 years ago.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens Bank?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

Deposit a check on checking account and they told me for suspicious reason the check was on hold for 90 days. They did not want to hear anything about it. not helpful at all. Will definitely close my account after this situation is solved. I do not recommend this bank to anyone. Poor customer service

Original review: Sept. 15, 2019

I was victim of a scammer. As a result, I deposited a fraudulent check on my account. The check bounced and the bank charged me a $20 fee and closed my account. I went into the bank branch of Pawtucket to explain that I reported the scam to the police and to the Federal Trade Commission, that I was a victim and not my fault that the check was not good.

A few days later, I went into the bank branch of Rochembeau, Providence, RI because I received a letter in which Citizens Bank announced me that my account was closed. My bank card was also cancelled. I talked to a female employee who informed me that my account was not closed and the bank was about to send me another debit card that I would receive in the mail in a few days. So, I supposed that the bank decided to reopen my account as a result of my visit to the Pawtucket branch. I deposited online money into my bank account to pay for bills.

When I got the new debit card in the mail and tried to use it, the new card did not work as it was cancelled again. I came back to the Rochembeau branch to speak with an employee as I was confused about the situation. The male employee who saw me waiting, looked at me with a disapproving face and walked backwards, showing signs of his unwillingness to attend me. After a few minutes, he thought better and came back to invite me into his office. During the interview, I tried to explain my problem to a employee who despised me and was unwilling to help me with my case. After insisting so much, he filled out an application to make a claim on my case (and he probably erased when I got out of his office) while he was singing a tune. I had the impression that I was treated like a third-class citizen.

The third time I went to the branch of Waterman, Providence, RI where I talked to a female employee who promised to find more about my case and call me back. After more than one month, my Citizens Bank account was closed twice and the bank kept the money that was in my balance. I did not receive more letters or calls trying to explain me what happened, neither a check with my balance. I was subject to discrimination because I am Hispanic. At the present times, an American Hispanic citizen (for more than 40 years) like me, can be subjected to discriminatory treatment by a bank and employees just because I have not the same rights as any other citizen.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

I deposited a retirement loan check into my account drawn off Prudential on 9/9. My account was locked down for fraud due to the check on 9/14. My check card was deactivated and I was unable to gain access to my existing funds in my savings or checking. Customer service transferred me to fraud card services who told me they couldn't assist me. I called back through customer service and asked for account fraud services. I was told by the foreign rep that he could not lift the hold due to the fact my account is under investigation. He said the check is on hold and it could take up to 2 to 22 days to resolve. The funds that I had available, prior to the check is also frozen. Thankfully this isnt my primary checking account or I would up the creek. Once this account is off hold, I am closing all my accounts and transferring my money back to Webster. Hate this bank.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

My payroll check was deposited a week ago and there's a 10 day hold because the bank on the check hasn't verified funds. Citizens bank it's your responsibility as a business to verify the funds, meanwhile I starve while I wait on people not doing their job correctly.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

My husband and I opened a checking account upon moving to Elizabethton, TN. I used the online bill pay after our initial deposit cleared (9 days-which was ridiculous on its own merits). The bills were all set up for payment on 8/5/19. A couple of the bills were paid semi-promptly, however most were not processed for a couple of weeks and one was not processed at all. It showed “paid” but money was not removed from our account and then I was notified we incurred a late fee. I went in person to the bank to try and clear this up but was told my husband was “primary” and he would need to come in. I assumed incorrectly I guess, that this was a joint account. This account will soon be closed once we can get our direct deposits changed...again. Online banking is terrible. My advice is try another bank.

Citizens Bank Company Information