2. Finance
  3. Banks and Credit Unions

3.3/5 (259 ratings)

About Citizens Bank

Citizens Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Citizens Bank?

Original review: July 29, 2021

My father had a home equity line of credit with the company. After he passed away I tried to contact them regarding his account. Understandably they needed info from me to give me information. I supplied what they requested. When I sold the house and needed pay off information they would not give me any information after repeated phone calls and supplying the same info I provided before. They finally wanted to mail me the info I requested but I needed the payoff info for a closing not when our mail service could get me the account number from them. Very difficult to communicate with, would not put me through to a supervisor. Would not recommend them as a bank to deal with at all. My dad had problems with them over the course of his loan as well. NOT applying payments when he had proof of them being received, not returning phone calls when he tried to inquire, etc.., Customer service is very much in need of improvement.

Original review: July 18, 2021

Four months ago (during April), while Covid-19 was still in the upswing, I ordered through the Uber Eats app using my Citizens Bank debit card. Three different times the Uber Eats driver brought the food cold, and then on the third time, the driver brought someone along with him who was not masked up and was not wearing gloves. The bags each time were also open, or were not properly sealed. I complained to Uber for violation of Covid-19 and health food safety policies, who refused to refund my money and instead demanded I contact the business, who then blamed it in turn on Uber. I was left with no alternative to contact my bank and file a dispute with them as a recourse.

The bank processed my claim and said on the form that what I was trying to do was an option since the business was refusing to cooperate. Four months later the bank decided to overturn and give the money back because someone in the claims department decided to audit my account I guess. It's been downhill ever since. I have spoken with three people in the office of the chairmen. They have hollered and screamed me over the telephone, stating I will get no one there and it was my fault about ordering from Uber Eats and that I should've paid for a new Uber to take the food back if I suspected there was something wrong with the food.

One of the women who hollered at me suggested that if I felt so strongly about the way citizens bank was treating me, then perhaps I should pursue a case against them in small claims court to get the $54.00 back. When I asked her if she was really suggesting that, she yelled at me and said she didn't suggest that. When I reminded her that she told me the calls were being recorded she told me she'd have someone higher up than her call me back. That was a month ago. Then she hung up on me. I filed a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau and Citizens bank has refused to respond to the complaint so far.

Do not bank with these people. They are very abusive people. I even sent them messages informing them their actions are criminal in the state of New Hampshire and they have thumbed their nose at both the civil and criminal statutes. If you want to get anywhere with Citizens Bank, then you will need to pursue a case against them in court. Believe me you won't be the first person/organization that has sued them. Just Google search them. They have been dragged into federal court multiple times. They have lost almost each and every time. Some of the people taking them to court has been in fact the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. I think some of these positive reviews are fake. and that they are being written by employees.

Original review: July 14, 2021

I have been a Citizens customer for many years. I ran into an issue when my mortgage company charged me twice in one month when they were only supposed to charge me once. I called Citizens customer service and said this is my mortgage company which I had many years and I have had no issue with them previously. I just need to dispute this one charge. The rep disputed the charge and then had the three bounce check fees refunded.

The rep never informed me that my mortgage company would be blocked from charging me for the next six months. So when the next mortgage payment went to process, it never went through. The mortgage company said the payment was being returned and that they were being blocked by Citizens Bank. I called Citizens Bank customer service again and asked if my mortgage company was being blocked. The rep said no so then I tried to make a mortgage payment again and it was blocked and I continued to receive insufficient fund fees.

Citizens should be liable for my insufficient fund fees because their rep never informed me that if I dispute a charge, my mortgage company would not be able to charge my account for six months. I never requested that my mortgage company be blocked at all. I just disputed being charged twice in the same month when the mortgage company was only supposed to charge me once. I was told in order to get the block taken off my account, I had to stop by the branch in person. It took me 90 minutes at the branch trying to get my account unblocked. Because it was mission critical that I get my mortgage company unblocked, I was not able to address a previous unrelated issue with the branch.

I have since paid off my mortgage free and clear. I have never been late on my mortgage nor any other line of credit in over 21 years and was deeply offended to be charged all these insufficient fund fees when I had more than enough money in my checking account. The service at my branch (Naaman's Rd Wilmington DE) is pretty dismal. For example, the rep informed me that I was "pre-approved" for an $18K credit line, zero interest on purchases and balance transfers for 18 months. I said I don't need a credit card as I have 0% plus 2-3% cash back on purchases. Because I was floating all my debt on zero interest credit cards so I could pay off my mortgage early, I took them up on their "offer" because it was a few months additional of "0%" than what I was currently using.

Except the claim of 0% for 18 months on purchases is a hoax. Citizens Bank I am now told makes no such offers. It's supposed to be 0% on balance transfers but they don't actually give you the opportunity to make a balance transfer. They say you have to wait for the checks to come in the mail with the 0% transfer offer but no such checks ever arrive (for the record, I used to get several of these check offers a week from their competitors pre-COVID and still get several offers a month now).

It was an incredible waste of time to switch all my reoccurring monthly charges from a credit card that pays 0% and 2-3% cash back to the Citizens Bank credit card which is not only no cash back, not 0% and even charges you interest if you pay off the balance every month. This mistake has been costing me in interest and unearned cash back about $30 a month until I just closed this card out. It is very frustrating because it marks the first time I have paid interest on a credit card since 2005.

To top it all off, a representative from the company Chairman's office contacted me. I thought this was a positive development but it went absolutely nowhere. There's nothing they can do about a local branch lying about zero interest on credit offers for purchases because it was done in person there are no call recordings to pull.

While they can pull the recordings of customer service reps handling my request to "dispute this charge from my mortgage company just this one time" and then putting a six month block on my account without telling me and then telling me my account was not being blocked when I followed up on another date, they said they cannot be liable for fees being charge by another finance company as a result of their negligence. So overall I am highly dissatisfied and will likely close out my accounts and go elsewhere after carefully evaluating alternatives.

Original review: June 29, 2021

We have our mortgage with them and every time we ask them for something. It takes them a month to process and then they would never response, and when you call them they would say it’s denied for some bogus reason. Honestly if I knew this is what I’d be dealing with, I would’ve never bought the house.

Original review: June 24, 2021

I had an issue where OnStar was allowed to take 4 payments out of our account with expired credit card info. They were denied 8 times and then Citizens let it go through on the 9th! I called the 800 # and was told that I had to cancel my debit card and get a new one. When I refused they said they “could not help me”. The bank let the payment go through with expired info. Onstar sent the payment. I did nothing wrong. Why should I be the inconvenienced and has to run around and change my other auto payments? “Supervisor Allan Z“ helped me. He was rude, not helpful and just repeated himself and He refused to give me his employee # or full name. Worst experience. Unprofessional and a wasted of time. I spent a half hour on the phone for nothing.

Original review: June 18, 2021

So my son received 3 checks from Giant Eagle for a job he had there last year. The checks were mailed to him in May 2021. He deposited them in June 2021. These were payroll adjustment checks. They were dated in 2020 but had no "valid for 180 days" or indication that they would expire. He deposited them through the mobile app. All three were returned and he was charged 60$ by Citizens for the three checks. Two were for 5$ or less. When we went to the branch to try and reason with them they flat out said checks were no good after 180 days. If so why did they process them? Why wouldn't they reject them right away, why process them. They wouldn't explain or accept any responsibility. Of course we are disappointed. Especially disappointed at the way we were treated, as if we were dumb criminals. Time to change banks. Goodbye anticitizens.

Original review: June 9, 2021

I was in the covid relief plan for 3 months last year. My hardship ended and I resumed making payments and accepted deferral on 1/13 to move the 3 payments to the end of my mortgage. I was then told that after I make my JAN payment over the phone that I would be able to resume making payments online in FEB. I was then told on 2/12 by Jade, 3/15 by Sharon, 4/13 by Denise, and 5/10 by loss mitigation the same thing, that my loan was still being restored/setup and I would be able to resume online payments "next month"... it is always "next month". I've had enough of the lies.

Original review: June 8, 2021

I have a Home Equity Line of credit with Citizens Bank. Last month I received a two party check from my insurance company and it required bank's endorsement. I mailed the check to their main office in Rhode Island by two day Priority Mail. The check was received by the bank on May 14th. It has been three weeks since the check was received and I am trying my best to trace the check but there is no trace of this check. This is a horrible bank. I was assigned a Case # ** and Ms. Madelin ** was assigned on this case. I tried to reach her on the provided number. Luckily, I was able to talk to her after five days of continuously trying. When I tried to talk to her then she disconnected the line. This is an example of their customer service. This is a terrible bank. NEVER CONDUCT ANY BUSINESS WITH THIS BANK.

Original review: April 29, 2021

We have mortgaged through Citizens for the past three houses. Since we have our savings/checking through them also, going online to check your balances is so nice to have all your mortgage info available on the same page and location. The staff has always been very helpful and I believe they do have my best interest at heart. Only wish re-financing wasn't so darn costly.

Original review: April 24, 2021

Multiple issues with our mortgage, which we escalated to the chairman's office, and they could still not straighten out. We've now switched mortgage just to get away from Citizens Bank. Incidentally, we had a bank account with them (part of the mortgage requirement), and the service at the local branch was amazing!

Original review: April 6, 2021

Me & my spouse got a HELOC through Citizens. Come to find we can't use those checks at any home improvement store. We opened a checking acct. 3 weeks now I've no checks nor paperwork w acct#. Hard to contact.

Original review: April 5, 2021

My wife and I took out a student loan with Citizens Bank to cover the costs of her final semester in school. The total amount was almost $4,000, but with how they disburse the loans, there ended up being multiple separate loans. When it came time to repay the loans, my wife set up auto-pay, but unlike other companies, she had to set it up for each loan separately. One of the many loans was missed and not being paid. We started receiving "Thank you for your payment" emails with no other reason to be concerned. However, we were not informed through any means other than the account inbox (because everyone checks on that all the time) that one of the loans was missed. No emails, no phone calls, no physical mail, that is until the loan was already placed in delinquency.

I immediately resolved the payment situation and pleaded with Citizens Bank to retract the adverse credit reporting. A supervisor very politely walked me through how Citizens Bank "checked all of their boxes" and "did everything they had to" in order to notify me that we did not correctly navigate their unintuitive website/repayment scheme. Evidently, all Citizens Bank does to try and work with you is send ONE, count it ONE, message to your Citizens Bank inbox before adversely affecting young adults credit scores.

My wife and I have student loans through 3 other lenders and this is the only one we have any sort of problem with, even compared to Navient or Sallie Mae which have long track records of terrible support/service. Unless you have the unusual tendency to unpromptedly check the inbox of your student loan lender, please, please, please do not take student loans out from Citizens Bank.

Original review: March 31, 2021

If I was able, I would give them zero stars. They are UNSCRUPULOUS!!! They are taking advantage of students not understanding how loans work. That however is far from the worst part. They then hand over the loan to Firstmark Services. This company has a D rating with the Better Business Bureau. Yes that is correct, a D rating!!! How thoughtful of Citizens Bank to do business with a company with this reputation. Due to that choice, it leaves their customers no choice but to deal with them as well. I thought this was a trustworthy bank but I was clearly mistaken. Please look for help with student loans else where and save yourself the hardship and hassle.

Original review: March 10, 2021

I recently made multiple purchases with by bank debit card. I checked my available balance before making each purchase. Citizens Bank encourages customers to do this via landline phone, computer, or an app. I discovered days later that purchases made on March 5th and 7th never showed up in my account. In fact, two of them still haven't shown up. The displayed amount available was actually less than stated. I then saw an overdraft for around $300. I contacted my local bank and they told me to call the 1-800 number. I spoke with three reps. ALL of them said, "This isn't your fault, this happened because of a technical issue." The first rep told me that I would NOT have to pay the overdraft since this was the banks fault. The other two told me I WOULD have to pay it. I made multiple calls, got different answers or was shunted on to someone else.

1. I should NOT have to pay an overdraft that a technical problem created.
2. I should not be penalized for doing what the bank tells everyone to do, 24/7: use automated banking features to find out what your available balance is!

3. It is NOT my fault if the automated system displays incorrect information.

I contacted my state banking commission and was told that Citizens is registered on the federal level. I used the link they provided, contacted the federal office, filled out a 5 page online complaint form, then got the message: "We're sorry, this bank didn't register with us to receive complaints"! Seriously? A bank has to register in order to get federal oversight?

Citizens Bank customer service is lousy. Nice people, but the system won't let staffers help on a local level, you get sent to the 800 number, then wait 30 minutes before speaking with an agent who doesn't know anything and has to ask and put you on hold, from which you may be disconnected. If I am in a car accident because my car had a technical issue that caused it to not function properly, that is the fault of the car manufacturer, but if I get an overdraft because my bank has technical issues also not my fault, I have to pay!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

Citizens Bank has extremely long wait times for customer service, the Office of the Chairman when cases are escalated are ineffective and non-responsive. I had gone into the branch located in Dorchester, MA to close my Citizens account over a year ago. I only recently learned that the Branch Manager who closed the account did not do it correctly, there was a stub of 32 cents left on account and the HELOC was not properly discharged. I've spent weeks in attempts to get Citizens to look into and resolve the matter so that the accounts are closed properly. Extremely dissatisfied with the level of service, responsiveness and banking abilities. I left over 15 messages with the person who was assigned my case and have not received a response in more than a week. Their inability to perform their job correctly has ultimately impacted my ability to refinance my mortgage.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2021

I have been trying to reach this company for days for mortgage information. They automated everything and the callbacks are days out. If you need an answer for any issue in regards your loan... it’s a waste. Wish I could change this mortgage company and I’m only one month in.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

Interest rate is ok. Easy to communicate. After we checked with other places, we settle with Citizens Bank. They are comparatively same with other top student loan providers. Having the same loan for two students from the same household.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

This bank has been nothing but mistakes since the beginning. I opened a checking and savings... Money was placed in both accounts. Never did I have access to it and at one point they told me it did not exist although it showed on a statement. They closed it and reopened it... I guess it was the same one because it never existed on the books but yet it showed up on statements. Got a letter stating that I owed $180 in fees at $30 a plot... It was a negative balance that they created because they processed the charges that were long after deposits that were made and they were never posted so they are the ones that created the negative balance. This happened several times even though they gave me a letter and told me I was no longer in their overdraft program which they abused. I'm writing this on the day I have decided to jump ship... If you're with them you better get on the lifeboat with me before the ship sinks.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2020

I would not recommend Citizens Bank to anyone. In my experience, their customer service was unhelpful and unresponsive to customers' needs. Earlier this year, I noticed that my bank card was due to expire in a month. I called their customer service line to see when I would get a new bank card. I was told that it was already in the mail and not to worry because I should be receiving it within a week. I waited the week and, when I did not receive a card in the mail, I called them again. I was told the same thing as before and that it would be coming in a week. Finally, I called once more when the card was about to expire in less than a week. A third agent told me that it was in the mail and that it would be coming within a day or two. Surprise, surprise, it did not. My bank card expired and I had no way of accessing my own money in the account for a weekend.

I then called them and told them that my card had expired. Only then did I finally get someone on the phone who bothered to address the issue. That agent said that the card had been mailed out to me at an incorrect address a month and a half earlier. This is important because if the other three agents had bothered to look at the information they had and listened to me they would have caught the issue earlier. The agent then offered to send me new bank cards to my correct address "and waive the expedite fee". As if THEY were doing ME a favor by expediting a new card to me. I said no thank you and went to my local branch to close the account. I cannot trust a bank with my hard-earned money when they are this careless with their treatment of customers.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2020

I've been with Citizens Bank for almost a month now, I have a checking account. I dropped M&T and went to citizens. I absolutely love them! Fantastic customer service! I don't like the overdraft so well, but hey it's called keep your account out of negative then! :) I have nothing bad to say, I love the card! Bank locations are extremely near me which is very convenient and easy! (State of Delaware) I recommend them! So far so good.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

We have been in the process of securing a home loan in Albany NY. Home Loan officers Jason ** and Stacy ** have been dishonest, incompetent and unfit to do their jobs. They have lied to us, repeatedly asked for the same paperwork and are unable to answer any questions. What should have taken a couple of months to process is now going on 4 plus months with no end in sight. They do not return phone calls or emails. Please please go with another bank. Citizens Bank is absolutely a nightmare and these two in particular should lose their jobs for the way they treat customers.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2020

In the time I have been with Citizens Bank a number of issues have arisen, much to my obvious dismay, but the latest is the last straw. My ex-wife in the UK died in October this year (2020). Apparently she had spent the last months of her life in Rowans Hospice, a nursing home for cancer sufferers in Portsmouth, UK, where she had been well cared for. Her son by her first marriage, set up a fund for the for the hospice to which I attempted to make a donation via the Just Giving website. However, I had an email from them saying Citizens Bank had rejected the transaction simply because they are a company in England, which the Citizens Bank fraud dept regarded as suspicious.

I called the fraud dept to inquire and, to cut a long story short, they told me they had cleared the block that was on my account so the transaction could go ahead. I notified Just Giving of this and again they tried to make the donation, but again it was rejected. I called the fraud dept again and they assured me the block had been lifted. The following day I got a call from my branch in Dallas Oregon and was told that the block had been lifted to clear the way for the transaction. Again I notified Just Giving of this news and they attempted to complete the transaction, BUT, yet again, it was rejected. I made a further call to the fraud dept who again said the ban was clear from their end and that I needed to contact my local branch in Dallas. I explained that they had called me to say the ban was cleared that very day, which was yesterday (Friday, 29 October, 2020).

I further explained that I had just spent 2 days trying to make this donation in respect for my deceased ex-wife, but it is still being rejected, I demanded an answer as to why this was. The fraud dept said they had no idea and I would have to contact the Dallas branch which was now closed for the weekend. None of this made any sense, I even told the fraud dept that there should be no such ban on my DEBIT card, not even for foreign countries. However, their attitude was that they didn't care and the ban would be put back in place on Monday 2 October, 2020. I was furious as you can imagine. I went online and opened an account with another bank and will be closing my account with Citizens Monday Morning, enough is enough, this whole issue is a disgrace.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

We live in the southern country part of Delaware. Nowadays our area is booming with construction. Commercial as well as residential. The area is building literally 24/7. Our closest Citizens branch is 25 mins from home. Not a huge deal. But it becomes a larger deal when you work 6am to 4pm everyday Monday thru Saturday. That limits your options of being able to get to the bank. Yesterday I needed to get money out and was at work. So to save time and for CONVENIENCE, I wrote that in capitals because apparently Citizens Bank don’t understand that word. But anyways I sent my fiancé and stepson to go to my bank with a check that I had written for them. Cash it for me and return with the money. Upon getting there my wife goes through the drive thru and is asked to come in.

When she comes in they play and mess around for almost 15 mins before telling her that “nothing is wrong with this check but we need you to go have your husband write another one for you. This one doesn’t have anything wrong with it but we can’t give you any details." So my wife asked if they would just call me as they have in the past for much larger amounts of money. The branch MANAGER refused and said that “it’s not my job to call him”. So what is her job? My wife went back out to the car to call me and that’s when my stepson didn’t understand what was going on. He took the check and returned inside and asked the teller, “could you tell me what’s the problem with this?” After refusing to answer the teller literally bypassed him in line and started helping another customer without any explanation. Even went as far as telling my step son, “I’m done talking about this, tell someone who cares”.

My stepson made the comment, “wow this is how you treat valued customers within your bank? We have over 10k in this bank and this is how you treat your customers and patrons in 2020. No problem. I’ll be sure to pass on my experience.” And he left. Never cursed. Never got irate. He was irritated but nothing out of ordinary. He’s thinking he will go back to the truck. Call me and I’ll handle it. Done deal. So he goes and sits back in truck. While they are waiting the branch manager comes out to the vehicles window and asked, “what seems to be the problem?” Even though she was inside and knew everything that was going on. She was even the one who denied the check and told us we would have to go back 45 mins away to get a new one wrote without any reason on why she couldn’t take this one in our hands. Not to mention the bank's closing in 25 mins.

After explaining it to her AGAIN she says to us, "I can’t tell you what the issue is but I can tell you that there’s an issue with the check." I’m guessing they are referring to my signature change because I’ve been signing my first name a new way after years of doing it one specific way. But if that’s the case. They could’ve called me directly. I would’ve verified that the check was mine and I signed it and to cash it and give her the money. Why is it such an ordeal to get money out in cash nowadays? Almost as if they are trained to be as unreasonable as possible and hinder the process anyway that they can. It’s ridiculous for someone like me who works for a living. So when the lady went to go back inside to wait on my call my stepson said to her, “you need to train your employees better with communication skills. Your employee blatantly lied to me and told me nothing was wrong with the check and yet that’s the furthest from the truth."

The manager replied, “how bout you get out of here before I call the police”. When police arrived they said “because of the way my son acted inside you need to leave.” The Seaford police never even looked at any video. They took her word as a bank teller over my son's and degraded his rights as a citizen. Making them leave for something that never even happened. Maybe there should be a better process for hiring the employees you have under your name. I’ve been with citizens bank almost 2 decades. And I must say this is the final straw. It’s bad enough I can’t find locations but far in between one another. Every time I use my card at ANY ATM I get charged between $3-$9. It’s just ridiculous. Save yourself the headache and get PNC or WSFS. Don’t waste your time with citizens.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

The bank has made several mistakes and has not corrected them even after months of visiting and calling the local branch and calling the corporate office. They stopped sending me monthly statements not by my request and continued to charge me. Although I tried to correct at local bank they never did fix the mistake. They randomly linked my husband's account to mine. Then prevented payments for school Tuition from going through which quickly started to accrue fees. We would call. They would say they fixed it and it still wouldn’t work. The branch refuses to take ownership. They send you to a corporate number and then you are ignored. This has gone on for many months. I have since closed my account.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2020

Nothing they offer or say is true. I received multiple mailings offering great rates saying I was pre-approved for a mortgage. I met every requirement and more for a construction loan. They were even going to match other mortgage companies' rates! Like I said, nothing they offer or say is true! After I paid $750 for an appraisal that came in extremely low, I waited weeks for replies to my emails. And when they did reply, I had to remind them of my loan details and resubmit documents I had submitted weeks earlier. Finally, silence for another month. Three months after I applied, I received an email from my mortgage salesperson saying I should apply somewhere else. Reason? They couldn't verify my income. My w2's that the government accepted for my taxes was not proof enough for them. They never intended to process or approve my loan in the first place. They took my $750 for the appraisal and they were done.

I was approved at Lake Michigan Credit Union 3 weeks later at 2.89%. My rate at Citizens was 4.25%. I don't understand why Citizens hasn't been investigated or convicted of fraud. I hope this helps anyone considering Citizens for any of their products. I wish I had looked them up on the BBB site where I saw 733 complaints and a current lawsuit against them "before" I applied for a loan with them.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2020

I have had Chevron/Visa card through this company for a couple of years. Never late on payments always overpaid. My limit was $1500. I paid them $1200 in June in August they lowered my limit to$330. I have 0 balance on all my other cards with other companies. I got the same lame excuse. Not enough real estate, high credit usage, etc. Unless they paid off my $458,000 home that's not true. My other cards have 0 balances. Before applying for credit anywhere make sure they don't use SYNCHRONY BANK. They did the same thing with my Sam's Club account.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2020

I really liked the branch close to me but they closed it down, and the closest branch was 25 miles away from me so I got a bank closer to home. I properly had closed my accounts in May 2020. They were trying to get me to pay service charges on the account that I had properly closed. I spent an hour on hold before and another half an hour getting the charges taken off. The gentleman who helped me was very understanding and did a great job getting the charges removed. Is this how they treat all former customers or just me?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2020

This bank has been our bank for almost 27 years. When we moved to NH we started with them and have remained with them since. Customer Service is fantastic. I will say during this Covid-19 it has not been always easy to reach them by phone due to high call volume, but always very helpful. Also the financial group they have is great as well. They meet with you at your appointment time, and if you do not call to make an appointment they are calling you to set one up. Great bank overall.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2020

During my own experience with Citizens Bank attempting to obtain a mortgage, the appraisal came in more than $40,000 lower than the value of the home. After reviewing the appraisal report, it did not take into account that the home - which is in a flood zone - was raised more than 10.6 ft into the area and was FEMA compliant. This renovation significantly reduces insurance requirements and is an expensive renovation, ranging from $50k-150k. They refused to change the appraisal and refused to refund the appraisal fee despite their obvious mistake/completely dissimilar comps.

After researching online, I found a significant amount of similar complaints. It seems Citizens Bank mass markets their mortgage business to collect exorbitant fees during the mortgage/appraisal process, intentionally plummets the deal or prices themselves out of the deal, in an effort to earn as much revenue from fees as possible. This evidence can be found across the mortgage business as well as other business lines. They should be investigated.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2020

Handled by Loan Officer Jordan **. If Citizens bank believes that a preliminary deal will not go through or will not be beneficial to them, they will drop you and never follow up with you... Tried reaching out to Citizens Bank Heloc applications department because the above officer was not responding for several weeks; on hold for 1.5 hours. Called back in the morning the next day. 1 hour on hold. Sent multiple emails, called several times, left voice mails to the person above...never responded. Reached out to him a month later. Said he would follow up the next day. Did not follow up. Wasted 2 months in total because of this person and citizens bank practices. I do not like leaving bad reviews but it is not right for people to be treated this way. I would suggest to AVOID dealing with Citizens bank on any home loan products.

Citizens Bank Company Information