1.00/5
Based on 45 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

601 Certegy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 5, 2018

I have a business and a check was written out for the wrong amount. I canceled the check legitimately through my account and now none of my checks are going through, this is ridiculous. I am being punished for someone else's error. Certegy is telling me that it will take 30 days to clear. Will not help me. I am being punished for a check that I paid for to cancel. People at Certegy are rude and just keep apologizing. Do not want apologies. I want help.

Original review: July 1, 2018

If there was a zero I would have picked it. I have been shopping at King Soopers Broomfield for over 20 years never wrote a bad check in my life and today get declined. The website for askcertegy is a scam. I have contacted my bank and I have no issues. So what is up with this company. I pay my bills thru my checking account with no issues. I was trying to find out about this thru this company and they asked all my personal information and then it clicks off.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: June 29, 2018

This stupid company has rejected us 3 times from our local supermarket, despite excellent credit and no bad checks ever, and significant bank balances. ZERO customer service, all automated. I will be reporting them to any Federal authority that will listen.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I was recently approved for SSI and needed to take my first check payment to be cashed at Walmart because I no longer had a bank account. First off, I had to wait in line 20 minutes because the representative obviously did not want to be at work, only to have my check declined. This made me extremely nervous, I immediately thought my benefits had been cancelled or the check had been cashed by someone else. I couldn't understand why a US Treasury check could not be cashed. The very generic receipt gave no information whatsoever as to why I was unable to cash the check. Certegy's website and hotline told me absolutely nothing and because it was the weekend, I had to just deal with it. I will never use their service again and I hope something is done to this company because they are making to much money to be this complacent.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Well, Kroger ~ after being a loyal paying customer for nearly 20 years, I won't be shopping at any of your stores anymore. Fuel points & coupons are great, but the embarrassment caused by having my personal check for $122.00 declined in front of a store full of people with Certegy's lame explanation as to why is unacceptable. Be aware that Certegy is evasive with the reasoning and blames YOUR criteria but fails to provide any negative history. The last 10 checks I have written were to Kroger and they all cleared my account without incident. I write one at least once a month. Sometimes twice. Thanks for nothing.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Certegy?

Original review: June 6, 2018

I’ve been buying groceries from Kroger for over 20 years. Today I wanted to write my check over and get cash to pay a family member some money without having to run to the bank. They declined my check for 164 Dollars. I feel like I'm in the twilight zone. Never once have I bounced a check. My last check of my credit had my score in the 800’s and I have the money in the bank to cover it. I call the number and they cannot give me a reason on why I was declined. I then want to get a report but am quickly skeptical because they want my social security number, routing and bank account number. Um no thanks, keep the report. I know I have nothing derog in nature on there. Shame on Kroger for doing business with this company. They are terrible.

Original review: June 5, 2018

We have been Buying Groceries and fuel from Smith's Food & Drug for over 25 years, and out of the blue They are not honoring our checks, they can't give us a reason, and neither can this Certegy Check Services, and When this all happens in where they can't take your check they pretty much announce it and make you feel like a criminal like you're trying to pass a bad check. We have never passed a bad check ever with SMITH'S or anyone else, and to be treated like this is intolerable. I called and they can't give you info, that you're just a risk? Really? I think they are being discriminatory, and I think I will be looking into finding an attorney. DISGUSTED!!

Original review: June 3, 2018

Was recently at two different Walmarts to cash my VA disability check which I do every month. My check was rejected at both stores. I was told to wait a bit and try again and given a number to call. This number is only a recording. Went to the website and it was a vague answer after giving some reference number. Walmart requires a SS# to cash checks. I was told by a check cashing business that no they cannot ask for that to just cash a check. I had to pay close to $90 to cash my check as I do not have a bank account. To treat veterans this way is downright disgraceful.

Original review: May 26, 2018

I went to cash a check at Publix and it was declined. What right does Certify have to collect my information. When I called that you can't speak to a person. We plan to boycott Publix and any other business that uses these bogus companies.

Original review: May 25, 2018

Tried to use a business check today at a local store and the check was declined. I am required by law to use only cash or check to pay for certain products. After contacting Certegy regarding the denied transaction, the only explanation they could use is that it did not meet the "guidelines." After asking what the guidelines were, they were not able to give me any information. I have used the same type of business checks for years with no problem until the store started using Certegy. If I have to buy new business checks I fully expect Certegy to pay for them. They need to find better excuses or be able to tell the customer how to fix the problem.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I went to Walmart to cash a company check for $599 but it was declined, they said used the company Certegy to take the decision. This is not the first time. Last time I wanted to pay groceries with check and had money in the bank, they declined the transaction for "high risk". They check credit score without your permit, I don't see any sign in Walmart telling they check credit for any transactions. Also, I don't see any sign telling me they will use this company to screen me, which is all inaccurate.

Original review: April 21, 2018

Certegy is a crock!!! I went to Walmart to cash a payroll check from an international company, and Certegy declined for the second week in a row. What is strange is that the first two payroll checks I received when I started, there was no problem for Walmart cashing them. Now all the sudden they won't cash them anymore. What gives??? Two or three people ahead of me get their paychecks cashed but mine gets turned down? This company needs to go away permanently!

Original review: April 20, 2018

Took my 18-year-old twins to Walmart to cash 2 small checks they had received, my son went first, the cashier asked for his ss card and license. He handed her both then manually punched in his ss#, the cashier cashed his check. No problem, my daughter got to the register. Was asked for an I.D (different cashier) and then told to put in her SS #. She and the cashier put the number and check in 3 times and then the cashier says, "I know this is you and your ID and SS cards are real. Are you sure you are 18 because if you under 18 it wont go thru". They are both 18. They are twins...so she gives my daughter a number to call and we get a foreign guy that tells the clerk to run the check again...it is denied again...he says the cashier is entering the number wrong, and tells us we have to try again later. We went to Wells Fargo today and cashed the check with no problems...

Original review: April 16, 2018

I'd had a paycheck that was sent to my old address and since the forwarding had expired, it was sent back to my company. I didn't know about it until I got a letter stating they had an unclaimed check for me. Since the time of the check, another company bought the company out, but still both very well known, worldwide companies. At any rate they sent me a claim form for the check, filled it out, and received my check. Took it to Walmart and it was declined. Called the number and after giving them everything but my bra size, all I got was "It was because of the check."??? What about the check, what does that mean? It was an unclaimed property/paycheck for $800. What the hell is this company???

Original review: April 10, 2018

Fifth Third Bank uses them for their mobile deposit system. I hate it! 3/5 checks get denied by Certegy with no explanation! The employees at the branch have the same issues. They SUCK! No reasons, explanations, etc... all the while I'm sitting here trying to get paid by my customers and cannot! It's horrible having to go back to a customer and tell them that I will need alternate payment methods solely because Certegy sucks. It makes me look bad, it makes them feel awkward as to why their checks won't work. This crap of a company needs to shut its doors! Just today, I had yet another horrid experience and had to drive all over town just to get my money owed me for services rendered. I ended up just going to the issuing bank and had to explain the issue. The teller told me she's heard this plenty of times and that there's no issues with the check or the account holder. She promptly cashed the check. Ridiculous.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I tried to cash my payroll check and this company refused to allow it. I've had previously had issues with this same company. They need to be shut down or sued for their pick and choose option. I don't understand why companies use such a place.

Original review: March 16, 2018

Certegy is a legal discrimination tool. In 2018, technology is unable to determine if "I" am a true risk or not? A $500 payroll check to a hardworking citizen is HIGH risk. They say "We cannot tell you the guidelines we based our decision on because criminals will circumvent our guidelines and render us useless". Reality check Certegy "You are useless" if you deny me services based on your unknown reasons. The truth is, the guidelines are based on where you live and other discriminatory factors. If they tell you the guidelines, they can't discriminate against you.

In other words, they have a useless system that is only valuable if they can bar people "risk factors" they prefer not to serve. Rather than deny you based on YOU, they deny you based on discrimination values you are unaware of. What is the use of checks, if they are too risky? When I called Certegy, I only received the automated system. When I finally obtained the "live person" number from a useless letter they sent me (by request). When talking to the live person I could only be told I was denied due to secret guidelines. A useless primitive service that is legally discriminating.

Original review: March 16, 2018

On December 15, 2017 I wrote a check at Macy's in Pittsburgh for $15. When our bank statement arrived my husband noticed that the check had been processed twice, once on 12/16 and once on 12/22. He contacted the bank and they said they would issue a refund for the second draft, which they did. I went to Ross Dress for Less 10 days ago and wrote a check which was declined. When I called Certegy they indicated that my account showed a returned check. I explained what had happened and was told they would file a dispute on my behalf which might take up to 30 days. I went to Joann Fabric today and again my check was declined. When I called Certegy I was told that they don't have an account with Joann but they would document my issue anyway.

More than 5 years ago I had a similar issue with Certegy. I wrote a check at Macy's with no problem. I then went to another department and when I wrote a check it was declined. I later went back to the first register I had used and my check went through fine, so I thought it was an issue with Macy's. An hour later I stopped at Joann Fabric and again had a check declined. After 40 minutes on the phone with Certegy the agent told me there was nothing wrong with my account and she had no idea why my checks were declined. There is something seriously wrong with this company and how they do business and I can't understand why companies continue to use them.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Dillons couldn't cash my 401k cash because of Certegy's profile of me. I called them to find out what was wrong and they would not tell me. I have never done anything wrong and This is not the first time. I had no choice but to get it cashed at Ace and instead of a few bucks to cash it...it cost me 182 dollars!!!

Original review: March 7, 2018

I purchased a money order to pay my rent. Made a mistake in the name so my landlady wouldn't take it. Tried to get it refunded. Grocery store won't refund it because of returned item I resolved years ago. A money order. I wasnt trying to cash it. I was trying to get my money back. I cant deposit it because my own bank thinks it's altered. Now I'm late on my rent and out $350 because I have to wait 30 days to get refunded through Western Union. Their outdated reporting system is now costing me!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I had previously purchased a money order from Walmart, which I have done in the past and tried to cash it back in but this position company refused it. Now after Walmart having me fill it out a certain way, I'm out 500.00.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Walked into a Wal-Mart and tried to cash a check issued from a insurance company. Was declined due to Certegy. Clearly Certegy doesn't operate on facts because the check was issued to me for a car accident payout. Had my ID and check was issued 10/09 today is 02/18. Valid for 180 days. This company should invest in resources for consumers they're unfairly denying. Instead of a report 7 business days later. Then who knows what you have to do to get approved and how long that'll be. So easy to get declined by some big company. Should make the world a better place by offering a solution as quick as the decline created.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

I work for different oil and pipeline companies and first check is always check before direct deposit and Certegy always never lets me cash it. It's so frustrating and I'm broke right now. Have 2 checks haven't been able to cash.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

They declined my personal check for $57.58 to Sally's Beauty Supply on February 7, 2018. Not only have I been a Sally's member for several years, but there is definitely sufficient money in my account. Synovus purchased The Bank of Nashville in the last year and they did reissue all new account numbers starting with 001. I wondered if Check 524 was the problem, but when I go to Certegy it was not even reported as declined. Sally's Corporate Office did apologize, but I'd hate to think I depended on Certegy to approve or disapprove of my customer's check. They gave no reason! Sounds like a very poor company! (FIFTY-SEVEN, FIFTY-EIGHT... Hilarious amount!)

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

This company makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, my son just received his first disability check and it was declined by Certegy. They gave no understandable reason for this. Now there is a silver lining, if you can get the service desk employee to listen to you. I worked at a Wal-Mart service desk for almost three years and came upon the fix for this problem, 9 times out of ten.

The reason the checks are being declined is because the check has some type of printing error. When they run the check the numbers are not where the system thinks they are supposed to be, so to get your check to go through double check all the printing on it. Say if part of the top of the check is on the bottom just fold the bottom part and have them run it like that. The checks will also be declined if they are folded where there is numbers, wrinkled, ripped or dirty. If that is your problem and it is a payroll or other check you are trying to cash then flatten it with something heavy and if dirty just dab it with a barely damp paper towel and then let dry. I hope this helps someone.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

First time ever having to use them but my work's bank had an ACH problem so we were issued checks. Now this check was right at Kroger's limit but it was issued through a medium sized bank so there shouldn't have been an issue. There's 20 minutes of my life that I will never get back, declined and no reason given. Tried to call - waited another 15 minutes and said screw this... I had heard some questionable things about Certegy and this confirms everything that I was told. My advice, don't used them unless you have to - a very shady company with nothing but negative reviews.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

So I have been to Walmart to cash checks many times over the last few years. Usually use direct deposit, but my new employer says the first time has to be by check. So I go to Wal-Mart and get told because I have never cashed at that location before, that Certegy declined. So I drove to the Walmart I usually go to and they tell me it is declining due to an issue with the check number. So bottom line is I never got it cashed. Only needed to because it was a Saturday and my bank was closed till Monday. Anyway, called Certegy and they were worse than useless. No more business ever at Walmart. With a Meijer and a Target in my town I have other options that I will use. I hate that I even had to give one star.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

To be succinct: I have mild dyscalculia. I had entered in my Social Security wrong, and decided to contact Certegy. Initially the phone call went fine until I had to explain to the representative that I have dyscalculia and did not have my social security card in my wallet on me. It was at this moment her tone of voice and demeanor changed completely. The representative was very standoffish and suspicious sounding, when I had asked for merely 4 minutes to retrieve my social security card, she LOUDLY told me that she would not hold the line for 4 minutes.

While I understood the nature of the suspicion due to the frequency of identity theft I was not asking for special treatment merely just time to grab my social security card to provide them with the right information. Throughout the entire conversation she was slurring Her speech to the point where it was inaudible, and I suspect that she quickly grew frustrated with me by the third time I had asked her to repeat herself.

This is not a good company if only for the fact that you can't file any sort of formal complaint calling the numbers provided on their website only leads you to an automated system that either puts you in contact with a check Services representative or an automated process. By default it is assumed that if you were calling them it is because your check was declined at a given location.

There is absolutely zero recourse for customers, and to top it off at no point do I ever remember opening any sort of account with Certegy check services which leads me to believe that Walmart corporation neglects to mention that they have third parties handling your information. I was basically a customer for a company I never hired, and I have zero recourse because it is default assumed that I am a bum since I entered in my Social Security wrong. They were not accommodating. They were not friendly and to top it off there was no way for me to get in contact with a customer service representative in order to file a complaint against this particular worker named Priscilla. If you are a member of the financial industry do not use this Corporation.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I was denied cashing a check at Walmart and Kroger and was informed that Certegy denied cashing my checks both times. When I spoke with a representative for Certegy, I was provided with a blanket explanation stating that I had risk factors and the amount of the check (approximately $300). The representative was unable to provide me with what the risk factors were and how to resolve them. She just informed me to keep trying to cash checks! Ummm... NO!!! It is very embarrassing to be told that they can not cash a check so small but the stores advertise that they do cash checks!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I was denied two different checks at PetSmart on Dec. 28, 2017. Like many of you, I got nowhere in dialing the toll free number on the receipt except to be left on "hold". A couple of days later, I reached a person at Certegy who gave me the runaround as to why my checks were not honored. I explained that I had never bounced a check, had over 800 credit score, and had plenty of funds in both accounts. She gave me the same bull about the possibilities that might cause them to reject a check. I reported them to the BBB in Florida, and they responded with a vanilla letter saying the same thing. The Certegy rep said that they would send me a detailed letter explaining why, in my instance, the checks were rejected. I should have it by the 18th at the latest according to Certegy. I'll post what they tell me as soon as I receive the letter.

Certegy Company Information