2. Miscellaneous

2.2/5 (823 ratings)

About Certegy

Certegy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Certegy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Certegy?

Original review: Sept. 2, 2021

Crap Company, I tried cashing a Money Order in Walmart was declined. I called them, they said now it should work just wait 5-10 min and if it still doesn't work try going somewhere else. Nothing worked.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2021

I have been on sick leave and out of pay status for many months. Certegy uses some sort of algorithm that flags any "unusual" activity as fraud WITHOUT actually contacting the check issuer, they just flat decline to cash the check. They should absolutely NOT have this power without A LOT more effort put toward due diligence and much more transparency about their processes, and accountability for the harm done to consumers.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 29, 2021

I used to be able to cash checks without any issues at a local Walmart, safeway, or Fred Meyer but one day I tried to cash a very standard payroll check and was informed that it was declined. The store was unable to give me any information on why and certegy just gave me a generic vague statement of why I may have been denied. It's been nearly a decade since then and I am still unable to cash a check through any company that uses certegy for check verification. I've never attempted to cash any fraudulent checks and I have no idea why I would be blacklisted! You can't even do anything about it. This company is a joke.

Original review: July 12, 2021

Crap Organization - After calling Kroger and being told we could use a corporate check to buy a gift card so our staff could purchase dry ice. Got to store and Certegy declined check. Called their non-service number and went through all the multiple questions and no reason given. Called and no service. This is a 2-star crap company and I do not suggest anyone use them.

Original review: June 12, 2021

Walmart and any other company that uses this low-level company needs to be ashamed. This company does not offer authentic check verification services. I went to Walmart to cash an insurance check from Wawanesa and the check was declined. I was mortified. I called the company and was presented with a robo answering machine type person who did not understand the English Language and could not decipher the words that were coming out of my mouth. I tried spelling my name, repeating it again and again and still..the machine robot got it wrong. I decided to download the dispute form and it dawned on me that this is a low hanging business that is owned by robots.

They want personal information DL, SS# okay but why do you need my bank's routing number when the check I was trying to cash was not drawn on my bank. I decided that I was not even going to pursue the matter because I haven't cashed a check in years and it will be a new decade before I attempt to cash a check at cut-rate Walmart whose entire business is going downhill fast anyway. They have forgotten how to treat people and keeping a service like Certegy is an indication that you want to do everything at a cut-rate Quality does not matter.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

So I went to my local Kroger to cash my Disability Check, you know, the ones issued by the United States Treasury Dept. Just to have them decline me cashing it. Called the number provided, got some bogus excuse from an automated message about history etc. So from my understanding, I have not had to cash a check in 2 and a half years so now I am a cashing risk? It said to take it to the financial institution.... Hard to do with a Check like that. This company makes it difficult to get your money and is bad for the businesses that use it. Was gonna buy something from the store I was at, but that went out the window, like me cashing that check....

Original review: June 16, 2020

Walmart and Fry's Foods denied cashing a $350 check from Ameriprise. Denied at both places, then later found out they both use the same bogus company for check cashing service. No clear explanation, just a, "no, we can't cash it." Then I call the number and it has no idea who I am, offering me choices of places I lived which I never did or it was so long ago and such a brief stay. I could never remember those addresses and zip codes from 25 years ago!

I just hung up after 3 or 4 questions that didn't pertain to me and had no option to get a correct answer. Then confused me with my dad who I am not a Jr. But since they only use a middle initial (how stupid is that when they are trying to prove you are who they think you might be) which could include hundreds of possible middle name variations for the letter J. How do they think they'll ever be able to tell people apart. I do think that this is the root of all their problems. You simply cannot expect any exact results when you do not even know the person's entire name, this allows a huge margin of overlap where there clearly should not be.

My middle is James while my dad was Joseph, not a Jr. and should never have come up as 1, I had no way of correcting it and didn't really much care after I was exposed to how non specific their data was compiled and the margin of error being as high as it could possible be simply made their info incorrect right from the very start. How anyone could think that they can compile a database not knowing the full names of the people they are judging is beyond my comprehension. I do believe that each and every person who has been denied is due to this vague matching that they rely on to pass judgment.

Original review: June 8, 2020

I went to Michaels to get a project framed and wrote a check. It was declined without any reason and I was told not to use my check there in the future. I called Certegy when I got home and could not speak to a live person and they wanted all kinds of information from me which I did not give. The store did accept my ATM card which is from the same account. I have never had a problem with a check. This company is a fraud and should not be in business.

Original review: May 19, 2020

Been shopping at Smiths for a very long time, never been denied writing checks there. Went to pay for my groceries and they told me I needed a different method of payment and no reason why. Called Certegy, automated and required all of my personal information. Since they refused my check, I thought they would have all that info on me. I hung up and decided to go online to see what this company is all about. Boy am I glad I did. Everyone has had the same experience as I. So, I would like to say to Gary of NC if you should decide to do a class action suit against these people, please include me.

Original review: May 10, 2020

This compassionless company assesses check cashing risk factors for many grocery stores nationwide but has completely failed with it lack of response to COVID 19. I’ve been waiting 8 weeks for unemployment. Now I finally get it and I can’t open a bank account due to corona and thanks to this company and the state of Oregon I get to cash 2 checks every 48 hours.... maybe since each check has its own algorithm.

So if your inept government officials decide to send 8 checks to you with the same date and you don’t have a bank account plus you're 2 months behind on your bills because of a worldwide pandemic. Certegy doesn’t care. They have to protect Walmart, Safeway, Albertsons food4less.... etc. Most big name chains across the U.S. from the risk of me paying them to cash government issued checks!? This isn’t right especially given the current pandemic. The store manager should at least be able to override this decision made by computers right?? You can tell that the people at the counter most the time generally want to help you but their hands are tied and Certegy probably gets a payment every time they suggest a decline. So there is obviously incentive there I’d assume. I’m Definitely no finished exposing this company for what it’s doing to people in dire straits.

Certegy Company Information