2. Miscellaneous

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.24/5

Certegy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Certegy?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Certegy?

Original review: June 16, 2020

Walmart and Fry's Foods denied cashing a $350 check from Ameriprise. Denied at both places, then later found out they both use the same bogus company for check cashing service. No clear explanation, just a, "no, we can't cash it." Then I call the number and it has no idea who I am, offering me choices of places I lived which I never did or it was so long ago and such a brief stay. I could never remember those addresses and zip codes from 25 years ago!

I just hung up after 3 or 4 questions that didn't pertain to me and had no option to get a correct answer. Then confused me with my dad who I am not a Jr. But since they only use a middle initial (how stupid is that when they are trying to prove you are who they think you might be) which could include hundreds of possible middle name variations for the letter J. How do they think they'll ever be able to tell people apart. I do think that this is the root of all their problems. You simply cannot expect any exact results when you do not even know the person's entire name, this allows a huge margin of overlap where there clearly should not be.

My middle is James while my dad was Joseph, not a Jr. and should never have come up as 1, I had no way of correcting it and didn't really much care after I was exposed to how non specific their data was compiled and the margin of error being as high as it could possible be simply made their info incorrect right from the very start. How anyone could think that they can compile a database not knowing the full names of the people they are judging is beyond my comprehension. I do believe that each and every person who has been denied is due to this vague matching that they rely on to pass judgment.

Original review: June 8, 2020

I went to Michaels to get a project framed and wrote a check. It was declined without any reason and I was told not to use my check there in the future. I called Certegy when I got home and could not speak to a live person and they wanted all kinds of information from me which I did not give. The store did accept my ATM card which is from the same account. I have never had a problem with a check. This company is a fraud and should not be in business.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 19, 2020

Been shopping at Smiths for a very long time, never been denied writing checks there. Went to pay for my groceries and they told me I needed a different method of payment and no reason why. Called Certegy, automated and required all of my personal information. Since they refused my check, I thought they would have all that info on me. I hung up and decided to go online to see what this company is all about. Boy am I glad I did. Everyone has had the same experience as I. So, I would like to say to Gary of NC if you should decide to do a class action suit against these people, please include me.

Original review: May 10, 2020

This compassionless company assesses check cashing risk factors for many grocery stores nationwide but has completely failed with it lack of response to COVID 19. I’ve been waiting 8 weeks for unemployment. Now I finally get it and I can’t open a bank account due to corona and thanks to this company and the state of Oregon I get to cash 2 checks every 48 hours.... maybe since each check has its own algorithm.

So if your inept government officials decide to send 8 checks to you with the same date and you don’t have a bank account plus you're 2 months behind on your bills because of a worldwide pandemic. Certegy doesn’t care. They have to protect Walmart, Safeway, Albertsons food4less.... etc. Most big name chains across the U.S. from the risk of me paying them to cash government issued checks!? This isn’t right especially given the current pandemic. The store manager should at least be able to override this decision made by computers right?? You can tell that the people at the counter most the time generally want to help you but their hands are tied and Certegy probably gets a payment every time they suggest a decline. So there is obviously incentive there I’d assume. I’m Definitely no finished exposing this company for what it’s doing to people in dire straits.

Original review: May 5, 2020

Went to Walmart to cash a check written by Walmart retirement account, drawn on Bank of America account (check has Wal-Mart/Sams logo top of check). Was declined. Called # on receipt and recording said they were unable to capture some important information, try again. So got back in line only to be declined a second time. Went online trying to get an answer and response was “some important transaction information was not captured in our system. You may try your transaction again.” Seriously, a check written by Walmart to a Walmart employee can’t be cashed at Walmart. What a joke.

Original review: April 28, 2020

I have been writing checks for 40 years and never have had one declined. I went to my local grocery store to shop, upon checkout my check was declined by Certegy with no explanation. The manager did an override and accepted my check. This has happened twice this month at the same store. I call Certegy and cannot speak to a person, not one reason is given on their automated system as to why I was declined. The store manager also called and got the same useless information. The store manager said he will just continue to override as he knows my checks are good. Stay far away from this company.

Original review: March 22, 2020

I attempted to cash a money order at Wal-Mart. The money order is a form of collecting rent so I had cashed a few at another Walmart location and deposit others at the bank. I went to a different Walmart location today and the money order (purchased from another Walmart) was declined by Certegy with no explanation. I think the company has poor practices. When I called the number I was asked for my bank routing and account number, social security number, and driver's license number. It really sounds like a big phishing scam. Everyone affected should save the receipt print out Walmart or any retailer provides when Certegy declines your check or money order.

Original review: March 16, 2020

Went to Michaels to get a picture framed. I wrote a business check to finalize the transaction. The picture is for the office. The check was declined. I used a debit card from the SAME account to pay. I called the Certegy phone number given to me on the receipt. Could not get in touch with a person. Still don't know why the check was declined. Found out I was "eligible to receive a record of my account". All I had to do was give my SS number, drivers license number, bank account and routing number. I do not get a good feeling about any of this. I hung up. Do not feel good about this company. They want too much of my information and I have no information about them. I would rate them a ZERO.

Original review: Feb. 29, 2020

I had fraudulent charges on one of my credit cards, so I decided to use cash or personal checks as much as possible. On Feb. 26, 2020 I wrote a personal check for $66.50 for food at a Kroger store. The transaction was denied. I have been shopping at this particular store for 20 years. I went to the bank and there was no problem with my account. I called Certegy at the number provided on my receipt. Got an automated system that said use another method of payment. Could never reach a menu to talk to a live person. I also tried their website and go the same runaround. (No live people). They made it sound like it was a problem with the store.

Went to customer service at the same Kroger. They tried to run the same check and also a blank check. Both were declined. Service rep shrugged her shoulders and said maybe the system was down. Offered no other assistance. Sounds like I may have to wait 30 days to see if the problem is resolved, according to other reviews I have been reading. Thanks Kroger for all the help. I will no longer be shopping at your stores. I do not think management realizes consumers have a choice of where they purchase items. I suggest you quit using Certegy, their reviews, and services, are awful. I have the Kroger receipt for contact info for Certegy but do not have tie technology or knowledge of how to download it.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

I went to my local Walmart to cash a check from a well-known Business on 03/2019 it was denied. I also went to my local Walmart on 02/06/2020 to cash a check from a well-known Business and it was denied. This was humiliating, embarrassing to say the least while about 10-customers were standing in line behind me. I am a law-abiding citizen but this made me feel as if I were a criminal. I watched other citizens cash there checks with no problems. I need to do some shopping for items while at Walmart along with getting my prescription filled and paid for, but that didn't happen thanks to Certegy Check Services. I was pissed so I called the 800 number on the receipt and ordered my report.

I received it yesterday, and there was nothing negative listed, actually nothing at all. I have researched and investigated Certegy Check Services. Wow at the complaints I have found similar to mine and everyone else who complained on Consumer Affair Website. I am a Pro Se Attorney which means I am not a licensed Attorney. It just means I can represent myself in Court as anyone else can, but you have to abide by the same rules of civil procedure as any Licensed Attorney in Federal Court or State Court. I have sued debt collectors for robocalling my cellphone for the wrong person. And I have sued other Businesses for violations under consumer protection laws. It looks as if I will be suing Certegy next. I work with a network of Attorneys in several states most of them practice in the field of Class Actions.

I may reach out to one of them concerning this matter. Walmart and other Businesses should be just as responsible for using this Business. If you advertise check cashing services but fail or denied a check to be cashed by a law-abiding citizen then you're just as guilty. I would suggest these Businesses use a different third party besides Certegy. It is also worth noting that the FTC sued Certegy back in 2013 in which Certegy settled for $3.5 millions.

Certegy Company Information