Certegy

Compare Miscellaneous Companies

Research top Miscellaneous Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I had went to the Dollar Store and bought $33.00 worth of stuff, in which I had to use a check. I normally use a debit card. The store said Certegy declined my check and never gave me a reason. I called the number and it was a recording. I still don't know why they would not cash it & why it was declined. I have never had this problem before and never had a bad check in my life. Something needs to be done with this company.

I wrote a check at Target in April and Marshall Homegoods in May 2017. Both checks were declined due to Certegy. I provided information to them in anticipation of a report that I hoped would explain why this happened, but to my dismay I have not yet received a response. I also spent 30 minutes on my phone trying to connect with a human being in hopes of clearing this matter up to no avail.

I don't understand why my checks were declined when I've shopped at both of these stores over a number of years. Not to mention having acquired a card thru Target using my checking account after which they were hacked compromising my and other customer's personal account data. What a joke! There is always sufficient funding in my account, so it's not a matter that there was insufficient funds in my account, and I have good credit. Most recently pulling all three credit agencies reports to ensure that nothing strange was going on. My credit reports look good, so what's driving this targeting of hard working American citizens and why isn't something being done?

I read thru some of the other reviews and I'm astonished that customers and consumers are treated so callously and disrespectfully with no advocacy and no justice! I can't speak for anyone else, but if these companies aren't willing to investigate and evaluate their relationships with Certegy and companies like them that victimize consumers maybe they don't deserve our business.

After purchasing several items at Kohl's, the associate processed my check thru Certegy and it was denied for their reasons being: That acceptance guidelines were not met! When asked what they were, none applied to me... I have never bounced a check in my life. After calling Certegy, Kohl's and my bank... No one could help or explain why my check was not approved. Certegy is a "joke". They suck and do not care if there is an inaccuracy in their system. They do not fix glitches and the government should shut them down... They are a farce.

A customer of our Bank had a check turned down at an out of town business, they brought the information to the Bank to ask why it was turned down (which there was absolutely no reason for it to be), I contacted the number they were given and could never reach a live person so I requested a written explanation. When this was received through the mail there was still no information as to why the check was turned down so I called the company with the phone number on the letter and finally reached a live person who was absolutely no help. She could not give me a reason for the turn down and just kept saying it fell outside their parameters but she couldn't tell me what the parameters were.

This company is going to cause a lot of problems for good people that don't deserve it and they should have some kind of government oversight to put a stop to their poor business practices. No check should be turned down unless there is some kind of proof the person is a bad credit risk, and Certegy should have to address the situation while the person is still in the store. Our customer is a long standing charitable organization that has never had any problem and has never written a bad check, the check number was not a low number and Certegy even confirmed there was no negative information on file for them but still couldn't tell us why they were turned down. This company needs to be investigated.

Tried to write checks at Target and Kohl's and in both instances check transaction was denied by Certegy. I ended up using a debit card. Whenever I called to find out why they gave me a list of several possibilities including that I might be a risk factor. I explained that I had never had a check returned or written a bad check in my life so they must have someone else mixed in the file they were checking for me. They would do nothing to find the error or correct it. They just kept repeating the same thing. They appear to be not at all a responsible company because they are causing people problems and not doing anything to check it or correct it. Please Please Please do something about this very irresponsible company. Thank you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Certegy?

It is beyond frustrating that I cannot cash payroll checks. They are sometimes flagged at Walmart and Certegy cannot give a reason. I'm just told to keep going back another day and try again. I live 30 min. away and the lines there are always about 40 min. long. I can't believe a company can behave this way and remain in business. I receive payroll checks from several employers and they've all been flagged. The checks are good. I used to like using Walmart as they are open later than the bank, but will probably have to stop using them for this reason. CERTEGY SUCKS!

Went to Lowe's Home Improvement Joplin MO. Have bought many things there with cash or check, would chose this store over many other home improvement stores in the area. But after the experience we had the last time we were at Lowe's we'll not be going back. Our check was denied. No explanation why Certegy just decided they would refuse it. Lowe's would not help. Said it was not them, Lowe's has Certegy as their software so yes it is their problem. Also they need to find a New company software program, we were made out to be lowlife customers. Not Good for Lowe's or Certegy. Nobody wants to explain their reasoning for check denied.

Certegy does not even let you talk to actual person and Lowe's won't help but keep saying Sorry. Not good customer relations, we will not be going back to Lowe's. Someone needs to look into Certegy's business. There are so many complaints against them and nothing is getting done about them still. WHY? Lawyers may be the answer.

This has to be one of the worst experiences I have ever had. It takes forever to talk to a real person and then takes forever to get your problem solved. Watch for any store or any type business that uses Certegy. They are awful. After you finally get a real person on the line, you are transferred and then told they can't help and give you another number and they are sorry they are closed. I hope I never have to deal with them again. The place where I cashed a check to the money from the wrong acct. I have 2 checking accts. Then I am the one who has to go through the hassle of getting it straightened out. Beware of Certegy!

Certegy can't verify funds nor can merchants do that. All checks are a risk for a merchant. They can't look into any bank account because of privacy laws set by the US Government and Walmart does not have to cash any check. They do it for the sake of the convenience, not a right or a demand. So talk about suing them because they did not cash your check won't get you nowhere but hit with paperwork and less money than you started with. I tried and the lawyer basically told me I had no case and it was waste of time. Plus, they reserve the right to deny anyone service.

My check was declined by Certegy for no reason. My bank will not provide Certegy with my personal information. It would be illegal for the bank to do so. Contacted Certegy about why my check was declined. No history of bad checks, no history of account having checks returned, just declined. TO FILE A COMPLAINT AGAINST CERTEGY, CONTACT THE CONSUMER FINANCE. GOV AT 1-855-411-2372. Also, contact your local State Attorney General Office Consumer Affairs. Try Consumer Finance first. Denying checks for no legitimate reason to get personal financial information IS AGAINST THE LAW.

I started having problems a few months ago at Walmart. I had been cashing my payroll checks there for months with no problems. All of a sudden my checks started being denied. When I called the number to find out why they told me basically nothing other than an algorithm decided that it was a high-risk transaction. And that was after having to find a direct number because trying to call their 1866 number let you through an automated black hole that you were never able to get hold of anybody real. So eventually this happened six or seven times in a row I had them send me their written reason as to why none of my checks from multiple sources were being okayed. According to them and had nothing to do with me. There was no negative items in my report. So finally got the written report and it didn't tell me anything more than what they had just got done telling me on the phone which is that an algorithm decided that it was a high-risk transaction.

So I waited a couple months and didn't cash any checks there. I finally took one from a person that I know had way more than enough money in the account to cover the check and it was still denied. So now that's 11 transactions in a row that have been denied and supposedly it's not because of me. I've actually now had to change my bank because they started using Certegy and if I wanted to be able to cash checks without waiting for them to clear I had to go somewhere else. Certegy customer service is abysmal. You have to go through this automated black hole and you still can't talk to anybody until you find the one number that'll actually let you get through to somebody otherwise good luck. You're not going to actually talk to a person. Avoid any place that uses Certegy!!! Once you've had one denied transaction that's it. They will deny it every time after that.

I just received disability. In two day time I received 3 checks, 2 SSI and 1 SSD. No check was more than $1500. I went to Walmart and experienced the following: The customer service employee was drunk or high. I have TX license and Permanent Visa ID - I presented both due to my address is no longer in TX but CT. Both seemed to overwhelm her, she chose INS, didn't know how to read it, opted with help to use TX.

I know I'm not writing complaint about Walmart but they too played or caused it. She kept making errors, finally the two smaller checks were authorized and paid after several attempts by rep. The bigger check again her having to redo this over 4 times, finally produced check denied! My husband and I were stunned and we immediately went to call the number on the denial receipt. Much that it did us any good as I was in their automated vortex. I didn't even get a reason for denial. We ended up having to sign check to landlord.

But now this past Sunday presented my monthly check and denied again. At least the clerk was sober or alert and the transaction only took a few minutes. Again denied. We think the first clerk bungled that last check and it was red flagged. We were told by Walmart it could be because there was three checks presented? Ok maybe. I tried Certegy, yesterday, thinking they were closed Sunday and I would be able to speak live. Still vortex automated hell! I'm now resigned to pay ridiculous check cashing fee.

I've signed up for government prepaid card but it takes a couple of months. I did ask the clerk if I could speak to a manager but was told Walmart can't help even if this was caused by the first dealing I had there by their employee. I cannot believe I cannot speak to a live person? Customer service is declining. It should be better due to increased technology not worse. Also I have never been so blocked to speak to managers, but if I do they are unwilling to get involved even if it's their third party payor or contractor. I would totally sign up for a class action lawsuit.

Same thing as every other review. Declined my photo deposit request (payroll check from Chase bank, just under $1,000). Went to Wal-Mart, where I've cashed payroll checks for months. The next day, I got the same slip everyone else did. Incidentally, it's the same info in the email... Apparently in the eyes of Louisiana, my state issued, federally backed concealed handgun license is not a valid state ID. I must have a DL or state ID to cash a check. Chase bank, the issuing bank agreed with this practice. I'm more than happy/willing to join/start a class action suit against this scam company. Avoid like the plague...

I called to confirm that Petsmart accepted checks because my debit card had been compromised and it would take 7-10 days to get my new one. When I paid, the check was declined. I had to call Certegy to find out why. He stated it was because I don't have a check history. Well... You can see that I have NO bad checks on my account and have had a checking account for 20 years... And who writes check these days?? It was humiliating and frustrating. I had to leave my dogs there and go get cash. AWFUL customer service!!

I wrote a check at Publix that was declined. Certegy said it was declined because of a returned check at JC Penney. Well, they never submitted it to the bank. I am still confused by the report because if you write a check with your current information on it, why would I now be declined because the current information does not match the old. In trying to clear the matter up, the rep kept trying to solicit my new and current address and phone number. It made me feel like I was dealing with a scam. If this agency can deny my check with the current information on it, why are they asking me for it? This rep kept asking me if I lived at Point Blvd. "Is this your address?" I felt sick the whole time. Like this was an identity theft ring.

Worst of all, she became angry. She even told me I would have to give my address at some point to clear up the matter. However, when you call in to pay for the transaction, it does not ask for that. I only asked to speak to a representative to find out how long it would take to clear up the issue once I paid. She said "anywhere between 14 business days." I said "okay", but she wanted my personal information and started yelling.

I just got charged a $30.00 bounced check fee from this group who handles business for TJ Maxx stores. Unfortunately before the holidays I wrote a check against the wrong checking account, one I dont' use much thinking it was my main day to day checking account. I didn't realize it until it was too late. Not only am I getting charged $35.00 on my end from my own bank but now I have to get charged on their end as well to the tune of $35.00!! What? That is crazy. If someone writes you a check and it bounces, your bank on your end charges no more than $10.00 for this and they are charging thirty? What a scam.

I'm having a problem with a check verification service. Called Certegy Check Service. Seems their computer algorithm has decided on two occasions to deny the acceptance of my checks. They have no direct numbers you can call to talk to a representative. You have to use mail or a fax. When you get back information about you they give you a number to call. They then tell you the denial has nothing to do with my check, DL number and such. They say their computer denied it for a unknown RISK FACTOR.

When you ask what the risk factor was they tell you they do not have access to that information and later tell me they would not tell me. Seems they were sued back in 2013 for their business practices and lost 3.5 mil, guess they have forgot to adopt good business practices. The person who called me back today asked for the wrong person. I have filed 3 complaints with the FTC so far. They said they understand and were sorry. There was no way to resolve their mistake.

I have written checks at Publix Super Markets many times in the past. In September my check was declined and I was referred to Certegy. When I called them I was told my "transaction fell outside of the guidelines Certegy has established for authorization". She stated it could be from check writing history at this location, a newly opened bank account or the location of the establishment along with other things. I have never bounced a check and it was not a new bank account.

I live in the county seat and the Publix is not in a "shady" location. I kept inquiring what EXACTLY was my check declined for and she just continued to read the same scripts. When asked what I can do to fix the problem, she said I had to sign up for their VIP program which included giving them my personal info including social security number. I think this company is unfair in their denial process and I also feel they should be able to tell a person EXACTLY why their transaction was denied.

I wrote a check for $250 to PetSmart only to have my check rejected. Have had that checking account for over 30 years, never had a returned check and have a balance of several thousand dollars. The only way to get my "file" from Certegy was to give them my SS# and other personal info. Nope, not doing that. Sorry PetSmart, just lost a long time customer.

Walmart did it to me. I tried to cash my check that I received as part of a settlement agreement, and Certegy declined it as well. It has happened to me before. There is nothing you can do about it at the store. If you can try and take it to the bank it is drawn on and they will cash it. I know it is crazy and everyone that it has happened to needs to get together and consult an attorney. I would be willing to become part a class action against Walmart and Certegy.

I went to write a check, on Nov.2, 2016 just to be turned down. I contacted my bank. They said when Circle K went to convert my check to electronic they transcribed the account number wrong. Therefore they refused to pay for it. Instead of Circle K calling me, they turned it over to this Certegy. They in turn turned it over to a company called CPRS for collections. I am in contact with Certegy, and Circle K and CPRS trying to find out. Certegy said it was a check for NSF. My bank said they did not send it back for NSF. They sent it back for incorrect account number. I have been trying to get my account released since 11/02/2016, and as of this date to no avail. I have turned this matter over to the Attorney General office. I could understand all this if I was in the wrong.

I am not the one in the wrong. It started out in Circle K office and chain reacted all the way through the corrupt system. Certegy has some very nasty people working for them. One of those people name is James emp. #**. He does not follow the fair credit act. He needs to be replaced by someone that has some education. Of course he is just an operator. I intend to take this matter all the way through the court system. No one has the knowledge to admit they are wrong in what they have done. So I will show them they were wrong. Along with a public apology from all three companies.

Went to Big 5 Sporting Goods & bought 4 pairs of shoes. When I paid with a check I was informed that it was refused/rejected by "Certegy". WHAT?! Who is Certegy??? I have a VERY large balance in that acct... I've bought with checks before @ Big 5... Why is this happening? I called the Certegy number at the store. Certegy's automated voice wanted my routing & bank #s - Wanted my birth date - my SS... WHAT??? I hung up!! I walked across the parking lot to my bank - got the check cashed & paid in cash! THIS IS HOW FRAUD HAPPENS WHEN YOU GIVE YOUR PRIVATE INFO TO A RECORDING!!! This is wrong! Wrong!! WRONG!!! STILL don't understand WHO/WHAT Certegy is - But from all the other comments I've read here & on other sites that I've been researching - Certegy need to be investigated & SHUT DOWN!!!

Went to a local Kroger (Western Union partner) to cash a returned money order (Western Union). Of course, I got declined. 1.5-2.5% declination rate. Uh huh. I called the number and it said that the merchant (Kroger) failed to obtain all the relevant information. I go back in and get declined again. This time apparently I didn't meet the qualifications, which of course are not actually laid out for anyone. System then refused to transfer me to a representative and told me to hang up.

Certegy uses the junkiest criteria for clearing a check. They have no idea of any factual basis for denying checks. Even with zero bounced checks they still consider a personal high risk. It was an HSA account that they declined. Obama Care forces me to use HSA. I do not deal with cash. Any business using Certegy should reconsider because from this point forward you are telling me you do not want my business.

Used check at Department store - Certegy declined my check - Store Manager did know who they were! They give a phone number to call - All it is front to get your credit information to sell to businesses! Contact the FCC and Close them down! They are ripping off millions of consumers for credit information. Illegal!

My husband and I were just at Lowe's, trying to purchase cabinets. Since it was a larger purchase, we attempted to use a 0% check from our bank credit card. It was declined, with a code 2. We called our bank, to see if there was a problem with the check. Nope, no problem, we had enough available balance, and we should be good. Also - they registered no 'ping' on the account, meaning that no one had even checked with our actual bank/account to see if the check was good, or if there were funds available.

We then attempted to write a personal check, still thinking that maybe it was declined for being not quite a 'normal' personal check. Nope - that one was declined too. I finally used my bank debit card, and the purchase went through no problem. I then came here to see what other problems people were having with Certegy. Whoa, boy. I'm not even going to bother to call Certegy themselves, as they are obviously running a scam - decline *every* check, for NO good reason, in order to con people out of their Social Security numbers and other personal information, to have future checks *maybe* accepted. My next complaint will be to Lowe's, for working with this massive fraud of a company to begin with.

Have been using e-check for some time. Denied at Pala Casino last night due to a "computer model" indicating "high risk." Had cashed an e-check the previous night with no problems. I have an approved credit line and was below that amount. Pala tried and couldn't reverse it. Certegy is a JOKE! Hard to get through and NO help! Their CEO, President is Srikanth Kothur, PO Box 30046, Tampa,FL 33630. Every company I deal with I will encourage to drop this scamming, insulting, scheming "check approval" excuse of a company for their invasion of privacy and detrimental impact on my life.

I have a bank account which is online only. My deposits are all direct. Recently I went through the nightmare of having my online account attached for someone else's defaulted student loans from 35 years ago! Finally the issue is resolved and the US Department of Education issues my refunds in the form of two checks! There is NO way to deposit these checks with Ally so I went to a Walmart as recommended by a friend. I was told my checks could not be cashed and was given a slip of paper with the ** about my credit report being my right... blah, blah, blah. I went home and called Certegy - Never heard of them in my life. They had me give my personal info and the numbers from the US Treasury check. Then they told me that there was NO RECORD of the checks being denied and to go back and try again!

I have been through hell with the US Department of Education which contracts out collection of defaulted student loans. The company they use does not EVER admit that they are not actual US Department of Education employees and they NEVER tell the same story twice about how to end their taking money from the WRONG person. None of the info matched except my social security number. None. And I was not even born when the loans were taken out! My point is that you cannot trust the government to do the right thing. They take zero responsibility for wrecking my finances and my health. And now we can't even cash checks from the US Treasury? They cleaned out my savings and left me with an anxiety disorder. I finally get a hard fought for refund and Certegy says I cannot cash a check from the US Treasury? I call them and they say they have no record or reason for the checks not being cashed.

After what I have been through I am truly numb. They take MY money and give me refunds in the form of worthless checks. Certegy was just as bad and suggested I go to a check cashing place. Where I live there is no such thing. The US Treasury took money from my direct deposit account, but they can't deposit my refund? It makes zero sense.

My father and I were at Lowe's to buy an air conditioner. When checking out his check was declined even though he has excellent credit and over 10 times the amount of the air conditioner in his checking account. The people at Lowe's were quite nice but when we called the company about being declined we were told it was because we hadn't written a check there recently! When I expressed my disbelief at that reason I was told if I wanted to give the company access to the bank account along with my father's personal information including his social security number his checks wouldn't be declined in the future. What a joke. I will not shop at any place that uses this company in the future. It seems like a scam to gain peoples' personal information to me.

I wrote a check at Lowe's for under $160 and it was declined because of Certegy. I quickly checked my bank account and verified that the balance was over 10,000. So, I called Certegy, gave them all the info, waited on hold twice, only to be told that there were risk factors to the store if they accepted my check. When I asked what risk factors she said, "nothing specific, just risk factors." This is SO annoying. She said she could "upgrade" my status to make it more likely future checks wouldn't be declined but that wouldn't be guaranteed, and I could try again in an hour or so - as if I wanted to hang around for an hour to try again. I notice other complaints related to checks at Lowe's; that company would be wise to look in to a different option for this service.

Certegy Company Profile