Certegy

Compare Miscellaneous

Research top Miscellaneous recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Certegy can't verify funds nor can merchants do that. All checks are a risk for a merchant. They can't look into any bank account because of privacy laws set by the US Government and Walmart does not have to cash any check. They do it for the sake of the convenience, not a right or a demand. So talk about suing them because they did not cash your check won't get you nowhere but hit with paperwork and less money than you started with. I tried and the lawyer basically told me I had no case and it was waste of time. Plus, they reserve the right to deny anyone service.

My check was declined by Certegy for no reason. My bank will not provide Certegy with my personal information. It would be illegal for the bank to do so. Contacted Certegy about why my check was declined. No history of bad checks, no history of account having checks returned, just declined. TO FILE A COMPLAINT AGAINST CERTEGY, CONTACT THE CONSUMER FINANCE. GOV AT 1-855-411-2372. Also, contact your local State Attorney General Office Consumer Affairs. Try Consumer Finance first. Denying checks for no legitimate reason to get personal financial information IS AGAINST THE LAW.

I started having problems a few months ago at Walmart. I had been cashing my payroll checks there for months with no problems. All of a sudden my checks started being denied. When I called the number to find out why they told me basically nothing other than an algorithm decided that it was a high-risk transaction. And that was after having to find a direct number because trying to call their 1866 number let you through an automated black hole that you were never able to get hold of anybody real. So eventually this happened six or seven times in a row I had them send me their written reason as to why none of my checks from multiple sources were being okayed. According to them and had nothing to do with me. There was no negative items in my report. So finally got the written report and it didn't tell me anything more than what they had just got done telling me on the phone which is that an algorithm decided that it was a high-risk transaction.

So I waited a couple months and didn't cash any checks there. I finally took one from a person that I know had way more than enough money in the account to cover the check and it was still denied. So now that's 11 transactions in a row that have been denied and supposedly it's not because of me. I've actually now had to change my bank because they started using Certegy and if I wanted to be able to cash checks without waiting for them to clear I had to go somewhere else. Certegy customer service is abysmal. You have to go through this automated black hole and you still can't talk to anybody until you find the one number that'll actually let you get through to somebody otherwise good luck. You're not going to actually talk to a person. Avoid any place that uses Certegy!!! Once you've had one denied transaction that's it. They will deny it every time after that.

I just received disability. In two day time I received 3 checks, 2 SSI and 1 SSD. No check was more than $1500. I went to Walmart and experienced the following: The customer service employee was drunk or high. I have TX license and Permanent Visa ID - I presented both due to my address is no longer in TX but CT. Both seemed to overwhelm her, she chose INS, didn't know how to read it, opted with help to use TX.

I know I'm not writing complaint about Walmart but they too played or caused it. She kept making errors, finally the two smaller checks were authorized and paid after several attempts by rep. The bigger check again her having to redo this over 4 times, finally produced check denied! My husband and I were stunned and we immediately went to call the number on the denial receipt. Much that it did us any good as I was in their automated vortex. I didn't even get a reason for denial. We ended up having to sign check to landlord.

But now this past Sunday presented my monthly check and denied again. At least the clerk was sober or alert and the transaction only took a few minutes. Again denied. We think the first clerk bungled that last check and it was red flagged. We were told by Walmart it could be because there was three checks presented? Ok maybe. I tried Certegy, yesterday, thinking they were closed Sunday and I would be able to speak live. Still vortex automated hell! I'm now resigned to pay ridiculous check cashing fee.

I've signed up for government prepaid card but it takes a couple of months. I did ask the clerk if I could speak to a manager but was told Walmart can't help even if this was caused by the first dealing I had there by their employee. I cannot believe I cannot speak to a live person? Customer service is declining. It should be better due to increased technology not worse. Also I have never been so blocked to speak to managers, but if I do they are unwilling to get involved even if it's their third party payor or contractor. I would totally sign up for a class action lawsuit.

Same thing as every other review. Declined my photo deposit request (payroll check from Chase bank, just under $1,000). Went to Wal-Mart, where I've cashed payroll checks for months. The next day, I got the same slip everyone else did. Incidentally, it's the same info in the email... Apparently in the eyes of Louisiana, my state issued, federally backed concealed handgun license is not a valid state ID. I must have a DL or state ID to cash a check. Chase bank, the issuing bank agreed with this practice. I'm more than happy/willing to join/start a class action suit against this scam company. Avoid like the plague...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Certegy?

I called to confirm that Petsmart accepted checks because my debit card had been compromised and it would take 7-10 days to get my new one. When I paid, the check was declined. I had to call Certegy to find out why. He stated it was because I don't have a check history. Well... You can see that I have NO bad checks on my account and have had a checking account for 20 years... And who writes check these days?? It was humiliating and frustrating. I had to leave my dogs there and go get cash. AWFUL customer service!!

I wrote a check at Publix that was declined. Certegy said it was declined because of a returned check at JC Penney. Well, they never submitted it to the bank. I am still confused by the report because if you write a check with your current information on it, why would I now be declined because the current information does not match the old. In trying to clear the matter up, the rep kept trying to solicit my new and current address and phone number. It made me feel like I was dealing with a scam. If this agency can deny my check with the current information on it, why are they asking me for it? This rep kept asking me if I lived at Point Blvd. "Is this your address?" I felt sick the whole time. Like this was an identity theft ring.

Worst of all, she became angry. She even told me I would have to give my address at some point to clear up the matter. However, when you call in to pay for the transaction, it does not ask for that. I only asked to speak to a representative to find out how long it would take to clear up the issue once I paid. She said "anywhere between 14 business days." I said "okay", but she wanted my personal information and started yelling.

I just got charged a $30.00 bounced check fee from this group who handles business for TJ Maxx stores. Unfortunately before the holidays I wrote a check against the wrong checking account, one I dont' use much thinking it was my main day to day checking account. I didn't realize it until it was too late. Not only am I getting charged $35.00 on my end from my own bank but now I have to get charged on their end as well to the tune of $35.00!! What? That is crazy. If someone writes you a check and it bounces, your bank on your end charges no more than $10.00 for this and they are charging thirty? What a scam.

I'm having a problem with a check verification service. Called Certegy Check Service. Seems their computer algorithm has decided on two occasions to deny the acceptance of my checks. They have no direct numbers you can call to talk to a representative. You have to use mail or a fax. When you get back information about you they give you a number to call. They then tell you the denial has nothing to do with my check, DL number and such. They say their computer denied it for a unknown RISK FACTOR.

When you ask what the risk factor was they tell you they do not have access to that information and later tell me they would not tell me. Seems they were sued back in 2013 for their business practices and lost 3.5 mil, guess they have forgot to adopt good business practices. The person who called me back today asked for the wrong person. I have filed 3 complaints with the FTC so far. They said they understand and were sorry. There was no way to resolve their mistake.

I have written checks at Publix Super Markets many times in the past. In September my check was declined and I was referred to Certegy. When I called them I was told my "transaction fell outside of the guidelines Certegy has established for authorization". She stated it could be from check writing history at this location, a newly opened bank account or the location of the establishment along with other things. I have never bounced a check and it was not a new bank account.

I live in the county seat and the Publix is not in a "shady" location. I kept inquiring what EXACTLY was my check declined for and she just continued to read the same scripts. When asked what I can do to fix the problem, she said I had to sign up for their VIP program which included giving them my personal info including social security number. I think this company is unfair in their denial process and I also feel they should be able to tell a person EXACTLY why their transaction was denied.

I wrote a check for $250 to PetSmart only to have my check rejected. Have had that checking account for over 30 years, never had a returned check and have a balance of several thousand dollars. The only way to get my "file" from Certegy was to give them my SS# and other personal info. Nope, not doing that. Sorry PetSmart, just lost a long time customer.

Walmart did it to me. I tried to cash my check that I received as part of a settlement agreement, and Certegy declined it as well. It has happened to me before. There is nothing you can do about it at the store. If you can try and take it to the bank it is drawn on and they will cash it. I know it is crazy and everyone that it has happened to needs to get together and consult an attorney. I would be willing to become part a class action against Walmart and Certegy.

I went to write a check, on Nov.2, 2016 just to be turned down. I contacted my bank. They said when Circle K went to convert my check to electronic they transcribed the account number wrong. Therefore they refused to pay for it. Instead of Circle K calling me, they turned it over to this Certegy. They in turn turned it over to a company called CPRS for collections. I am in contact with Certegy, and Circle K and CPRS trying to find out. Certegy said it was a check for NSF. My bank said they did not send it back for NSF. They sent it back for incorrect account number. I have been trying to get my account released since 11/02/2016, and as of this date to no avail. I have turned this matter over to the Attorney General office. I could understand all this if I was in the wrong.

I am not the one in the wrong. It started out in Circle K office and chain reacted all the way through the corrupt system. Certegy has some very nasty people working for them. One of those people name is James emp. #**. He does not follow the fair credit act. He needs to be replaced by someone that has some education. Of course he is just an operator. I intend to take this matter all the way through the court system. No one has the knowledge to admit they are wrong in what they have done. So I will show them they were wrong. Along with a public apology from all three companies.

Went to Big 5 Sporting Goods & bought 4 pairs of shoes. When I paid with a check I was informed that it was refused/rejected by "Certegy". WHAT?! Who is Certegy??? I have a VERY large balance in that acct... I've bought with checks before @ Big 5... Why is this happening? I called the Certegy number at the store. Certegy's automated voice wanted my routing & bank #s - Wanted my birth date - my SS... WHAT??? I hung up!! I walked across the parking lot to my bank - got the check cashed & paid in cash! THIS IS HOW FRAUD HAPPENS WHEN YOU GIVE YOUR PRIVATE INFO TO A RECORDING!!! This is wrong! Wrong!! WRONG!!! STILL don't understand WHO/WHAT Certegy is - But from all the other comments I've read here & on other sites that I've been researching - Certegy need to be investigated & SHUT DOWN!!!

Went to a local Kroger (Western Union partner) to cash a returned money order (Western Union). Of course, I got declined. 1.5-2.5% declination rate. Uh huh. I called the number and it said that the merchant (Kroger) failed to obtain all the relevant information. I go back in and get declined again. This time apparently I didn't meet the qualifications, which of course are not actually laid out for anyone. System then refused to transfer me to a representative and told me to hang up.

Certegy uses the junkiest criteria for clearing a check. They have no idea of any factual basis for denying checks. Even with zero bounced checks they still consider a personal high risk. It was an HSA account that they declined. Obama Care forces me to use HSA. I do not deal with cash. Any business using Certegy should reconsider because from this point forward you are telling me you do not want my business.

Used check at Department store - Certegy declined my check - Store Manager did know who they were! They give a phone number to call - All it is front to get your credit information to sell to businesses! Contact the FCC and Close them down! They are ripping off millions of consumers for credit information. Illegal!

My husband and I were just at Lowe's, trying to purchase cabinets. Since it was a larger purchase, we attempted to use a 0% check from our bank credit card. It was declined, with a code 2. We called our bank, to see if there was a problem with the check. Nope, no problem, we had enough available balance, and we should be good. Also - they registered no 'ping' on the account, meaning that no one had even checked with our actual bank/account to see if the check was good, or if there were funds available.

We then attempted to write a personal check, still thinking that maybe it was declined for being not quite a 'normal' personal check. Nope - that one was declined too. I finally used my bank debit card, and the purchase went through no problem. I then came here to see what other problems people were having with Certegy. Whoa, boy. I'm not even going to bother to call Certegy themselves, as they are obviously running a scam - decline *every* check, for NO good reason, in order to con people out of their Social Security numbers and other personal information, to have future checks *maybe* accepted. My next complaint will be to Lowe's, for working with this massive fraud of a company to begin with.

Have been using e-check for some time. Denied at Pala Casino last night due to a "computer model" indicating "high risk." Had cashed an e-check the previous night with no problems. I have an approved credit line and was below that amount. Pala tried and couldn't reverse it. Certegy is a JOKE! Hard to get through and NO help! Their CEO, President is Srikanth Kothur, PO Box 30046, Tampa,FL 33630. Every company I deal with I will encourage to drop this scamming, insulting, scheming "check approval" excuse of a company for their invasion of privacy and detrimental impact on my life.

I have a bank account which is online only. My deposits are all direct. Recently I went through the nightmare of having my online account attached for someone else's defaulted student loans from 35 years ago! Finally the issue is resolved and the US Department of Education issues my refunds in the form of two checks! There is NO way to deposit these checks with Ally so I went to a Walmart as recommended by a friend. I was told my checks could not be cashed and was given a slip of paper with the ** about my credit report being my right... blah, blah, blah. I went home and called Certegy - Never heard of them in my life. They had me give my personal info and the numbers from the US Treasury check. Then they told me that there was NO RECORD of the checks being denied and to go back and try again!

I have been through hell with the US Department of Education which contracts out collection of defaulted student loans. The company they use does not EVER admit that they are not actual US Department of Education employees and they NEVER tell the same story twice about how to end their taking money from the WRONG person. None of the info matched except my social security number. None. And I was not even born when the loans were taken out! My point is that you cannot trust the government to do the right thing. They take zero responsibility for wrecking my finances and my health. And now we can't even cash checks from the US Treasury? They cleaned out my savings and left me with an anxiety disorder. I finally get a hard fought for refund and Certegy says I cannot cash a check from the US Treasury? I call them and they say they have no record or reason for the checks not being cashed.

After what I have been through I am truly numb. They take MY money and give me refunds in the form of worthless checks. Certegy was just as bad and suggested I go to a check cashing place. Where I live there is no such thing. The US Treasury took money from my direct deposit account, but they can't deposit my refund? It makes zero sense.

My father and I were at Lowe's to buy an air conditioner. When checking out his check was declined even though he has excellent credit and over 10 times the amount of the air conditioner in his checking account. The people at Lowe's were quite nice but when we called the company about being declined we were told it was because we hadn't written a check there recently! When I expressed my disbelief at that reason I was told if I wanted to give the company access to the bank account along with my father's personal information including his social security number his checks wouldn't be declined in the future. What a joke. I will not shop at any place that uses this company in the future. It seems like a scam to gain peoples' personal information to me.

I wrote a check at Lowe's for under $160 and it was declined because of Certegy. I quickly checked my bank account and verified that the balance was over 10,000. So, I called Certegy, gave them all the info, waited on hold twice, only to be told that there were risk factors to the store if they accepted my check. When I asked what risk factors she said, "nothing specific, just risk factors." This is SO annoying. She said she could "upgrade" my status to make it more likely future checks wouldn't be declined but that wouldn't be guaranteed, and I could try again in an hour or so - as if I wanted to hang around for an hour to try again. I notice other complaints related to checks at Lowe's; that company would be wise to look in to a different option for this service.

I've been cashing checks with Walmart here in Marietta, Ga on and off for about 2 years now. I cashed a total of maybe 4 checks from child support. I have never had a problem until last week. I normally don't cash checks because most of my funds goes directly to the bank. But, I received a child support check out the blue from his tax refund. I tried to cash it like always and was denied by this bootleg ass company. It wasn't much $1519.00. It was very embarrassing.

I didn't put in my bank because I needed the funds right away plus it was the weekend when the check arrived in the mail. I thought my bank was going to hold it but I called my bank and thank God they cashed it right there on the spot. I should have went there at first. I called because I was curious to know why it was declined. I never write checks and they have cashed my checks before from the same agency. Of course, I got a generic ass answer. My check was declined due to the amount, location or check number.

I'm thinking that since I haven't cashed a child support check in over 10 months this was why it was rejected. Nevertheless, I'll never try again... This place needs to update their check cashing criteria because decent hardworking people who have no bad check writing history is getting declined while the real crooks walk away counting their cash. This is preposterous to say the least. Unbelievable... Get it together Certegy. What the hell. I hope you go out of business.

Went to my local Walmart to cash a check issued by the US Treasury Dept. Lo and behold Certegy declined it. Since when is a government refused???

On June 30, 2016 I went to PetSmart 4230 N Freeway Pueblo, CO 81008 to purchase dog food. My check was declined not once but twice. They gave me a number to Certegy... Lame company... got the runaround again. Was told something about my ratio to balance denying me. I have written checks to them

with no problem. They seem to know about my checking account but never once did I hear "I'm sorry." They may not participate in Consumer Affairs... but here before too long Better Business will know where and who they are... Scam, fraud, PEOPLE TAKING OTHER PEOPLE's money... You should be so bold and do this to people... Karma... There is one, you know... it'll be back around... Customer of PetSmart no more.

When trying to purchase a washer, drier and refrigerator, the clerk at Lowe's in N. East Ft. Myers said the check was denied. So, we called the 800 number and the operator at Certegy said it was denied due to their computer models indicated a high risk. I gave them my routing number, acct. number and driver's license number and they rely on computer models just like the weather forecasters do, you know how that is! My credit score is 800+ and the checking balance is about 15 to 20 times the check I was trying to write.

After giving them all this account info, if Certegy can't determine the check is good by checking the balance to check ratio, then, they (Certegy) is not worth a damn. I think they are marketing themselves as snake oil. Lowe's should discontinue their services and do it the old way that worked for years. After all the delivery was scheduled for 6 days later anyway. Now I gotta go to the bank to get cash. What a bunch of idiots! BTW, Lowe's treated me well. I just think the upper management needs to re-evaluate the use of Certegy.

I have cashed payroll checks at Wal-Mart now for several years. Imagine my surprise when the same check as always at the same Wal-Mart was declined, and on a Sunday when I needed some cash. My experience was no different--called the company and given no reason except the voodoo recipe for check approval had declared it to be high risk. The cashier said that this was a relatively common occurrence and that lots of regulars hit the same snag on occasion--maybe the moon, the relative humidity, who the heck knows and Certegy won't tell. As there is no real recourse with the company, I see no choice but to boycott Wal-Mart. Hope others join me.

This company and its relationship with American Express in support of validating checks for mobile deposit is clearly a scam and a way for them to simply collect information. They declined a check I wrote to myself from my own account. If they can't detect that this is not fraud, then I'm not really sure how they could be doing anything good.

Certegy will not authorize my check and has flagged it to be denied for a reason they cannot explain. They'll just say some mumbo jumbo about their statistical analysis software. I called them after my bank said my check had been flagged and denied by Certegy. I called Certegy and they took my social, driver's license number, and check number/amount. They then told me that my bank would accept my check the same day. I tried my bank, they denied it again. I called back Certegy and said they were unable to do anything and that I should go to a check cashing place. Joke is on me because the first place I tried to go was Walmart. Walmart obviously also uses Certegy.

I live in the mountains, it was snowing late tonight so I decided to stay at one of the local casino motels. Have used 'Certegy' lots of times at this casino without any problem at all. But tonight it refused to put through an e-check, twice. Nobody understood, including me. Went online to their site and it was useless and mysterious, which is ridiculous. Sum total is I cannot stay anywhere except in my car tonight since checks are the only thing I have with me. I have over $2,000 in the bank, the room is about $65.00. This is incredible. I used Certegy at this place lots of times and twice last week without any issue at all. It printed off something about possible bad checks - not true, and I can prove that. But casino is helpless to override this outrageous thing they hired. Years ago they did this to me at Walmart because I generally used debit cards there and had not written a real check in several years. That's a really great reason, isn't it?

Certegy Company Profile