1.00/5

613 Certegy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

An employee of mine was able to cash a $750 check even though it was dated for 2 months prior and had a stop payment on it. The employee got a replacement check from us because she said she lost her paycheck! Really what she did was keep it and cash it at Randall's where they just allowed it. I received a bill for the amount of the check because they accept all checks face value as long as the presenter of the check has no prior issues with Certegy!!! How ridiculous is that? And the hoops I have been jumping to get this cleared off our company record has taken a dozen hours! A simple phone call to the bank to confirm that a check that is 2 months old is still valid is what SHOULD have been done. Also, even after providing all the information I asked for on bank letterhead, they STILL sent me a bill. They keep saying they are investigating but I just keep getting letters.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

My check was declined at a department store for absolutely no reason by Certegy. There is no way to talk to anyone when you call. After seeing all of these complaints, I reported Certegy to the Federal Trade Commission! I suggest that you do too!

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

AGE & RACE DISCRIMINATION CASE AGAINST CERTEGY/TARGET. I am a local business owner and has excellent credit. I have written several checks to TARGET for business supplies for the past 30 years. Today, August 31, 2018 Target declined the first check and asked that I write another check. The second was declined as well. The reason written on the back of the check “Our decision to decline was based on information from CERTEGY.” When I called my business Bank I was informed the decline had nothing to do with the bank.

I then called CERTEGY and they informed the check for $172.03 was “too risky.” When I inquired what the risk was, they mentioned they are unable to reveal that information. This is undoubtedly an age and race discrimination issue. I am a 57+ years healthy, working individual. I am advised to file a discrimination lawsuit against Certegy/Target for $50,000 for the harassment and inconvenience. I have read all the negative reviews about this minus one star company and agree with the other consumers to boycott companies that work with Certegy, and Certegy should be closed down by the Department of Consumer Affairs.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

Check rejected, then finally approved at oft frequented King Soopers (Kroger's contacted company online to get more info, but they were most intrusive in info they wanted (SSN, bank acct, routing #, etc.) No way, very unsettling! Left website, no rhyme or reason for this encounter - will, not do, business with companies using Certegy.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Having read many of the reviews of this company, I couldn't agree more with most of them. When my check was denied, I told the cashier that I had just come from the local Credit Union and there was enough in my account to cover the check. She gave me a number to call, a place called Certegy. It took a bit but eventually I was put through to someone with a pulse. After a rather long discussion it boiled down to the fact that they had no record of my cashing any checks on my account going back a year. I had to leave the store, go to my credit union and get cash.

Question: How does one establish a history of check cashing at a local business, when the firm they hire to "protect" themselves from fraud, declines everything??? I told them their business model stinks. When one goes into a local business, writes a check on a local bank, they ought to be able to resolve any issues without bringing in somebody from an ivory tower somewhere in NYC or LA or Chicago to resolve it. This is a small town, population a little over 4400. Most everyone knows everyone else. What has happened to this country?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Certegy?

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Went to cash a check for 624 at Walmart and my payroll check was declined. When given a number, Certegy wouldn't give any real reason why it was declined nor would Walmart. I do believe Walmart has lost my business for a real long time.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Went to Kroger's to pay for food for a veterans event with an organizational check for a non-profit, check denied. Tried calling the number provided and went through all the "canned questions". Check denied and no way to talk to a live person to rectify situation or get clarification. It seems that when you play God with someone's funds, you'd at least have a live person on the phone to answer questions or explain your position. Your business model isn't the best way to make things happen. I can tell you that we will not be doing business with Kroger's in the future since they use CERTEGY as a gatekeeper.

Not everyone is a crook and fits into your computer algorithms. Your obvious lack of live customer service shows that you do not care about the end customer, just your bottom dollar of serving the business. Fortunately, for us, we were paying for food a day in advance and if this would have happened the day of the event, even though veterans would have went unserved, we would have left the prepared food unpaid for, leaving Kroger's holding the bag for CERTEGY's policies and unfriendly customer service.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

Went to Walmart to cash a check for $2000 on a Saturday and it got declined for no reason whatsoever. I've cashed checks bigger than this before. I'm not sure why and when I called the number on the receipt I could not get a real person or an answer instead I have to wait 10 days for them to mail me something that I have no idea what it's for. All I want is to cash my check but now I have to wait until Monday and take it to a bank. It's ** and this business sucks and so does Walmart. They will never get my business ever again.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I went grocery shopping with my daughter at Pick ‘n Save. The total was just over $200, and I wrote a check like I do every month, and this stupid company denied it. I called the number and was told it was declined due to store policy, check number or dollar amount. WHAT! Thankfully, the employees were very kind and patient and stated this has been happening a lot. So my daughter tried her check, same thing, declined. At this point we had 2 options, try splitting the order and each write a check or find someone who would give us their card number. We chose option 2. Unfortunately this reflects negatively on the store. As nice as they were about it, I feel I will be going elsewhere for my shopping.

Original review: July 30, 2018

My husband and I live paycheck to paycheck like a lot of people do. We have been cashing his payroll check at our local Kroger since April of this year. Last Friday, July 27, his payroll check was declined by Kroger and Walmart. The only thing they would tell us was that his SS# was invalid...the same one he's had for 43 yrs. With no food at home, I asked them if we could at least get a few groceries with it but of course they refused. So, my husband who is an insulin dependent diabetic, my son and myself would have had to go the whole weekend without eating. We had to borrow money to buy a little food, a bottle of insulin, and gas. We had to take off work early today to drive to the out of town bank where the check was from because that's what the robot at Certegy suggested. Their website is a joke.

Walmart and Kroger told us we had to contact them to get this straightened out. I have been calling them since Friday afternoon and I still can't talk to a human. And from the little bit of information we received from Walmart and Kroger employees is that until we get this solved with Certegy, we can't cash his payroll check or any other check because his SS# is invalid. How does your SS# just become invalid all of a sudden?

Original review: July 26, 2018

If I was allowed to give 0 stars, hell if I could give negative stars, I would do so. Certegy Check Services is a scam and if your business uses them you are not only damaging your relationship with customers, but you are getting ripped off. I went to a Kroger store because they claim to cash payroll checks up to $5000 USD as long as it is from a reputable business. Well I brought in a 401K disbursement check from Fidelity Investments, a nationally known company, to be cashed at my local Kroger. Unfortunately I wasn't able to cash a legal and legitimate check from a national investment firm due to Certegy. And the worst part is they won't give you a reason. They just said, "You can't cash it here." I called Wal-Mart, who claims that they will cash checks up 5000 USD as well.

I asked if they used Certegy Check Services and was told that they did and if I was denied at Kroger I would be denied at Walmart as well. So I decided to call Certegy Check Services laughable excuse for a customer service phone number and had to spend an hour fighting the robocall answering system just to speak to a human being. Once I got an actual person on the phone I must have had the tiredest, rudest, most unhelpful woman in the call center. No "Hi" or "how are you" just "what's your name and phone number in case we get disconnected" said with hatred barely held back. After I gave all the info about myself and the check I was put on hold for about 5 min while she looked up what had happened.

When she came back she told me the same useless info that was on the receipt. She said she couldn't tell me why they denied to cash the check other than it was a risk factor. She couldn't even tell me if I was the risk factor or if the check from the national investment firm was the risk factor. I asked her what she couldn't tell me and how to get this corrected and all she said was to take it to a bank location for where the check was from, which is in Delaware, and I am in VA. Needless to say if companies are still using checks to disburse money then they need to start using a bank or check brand that can be cashed anywhere in the world, the 50 states and even Canada and Mexico. And businesses that claim to offer low cost check cashing need to do so and be clear about what is needed and what their qualifications are. And all businesses need to stop using Certegy Check Services, they cost too much and are not consumer friendly.

Kroger just lost out on my money because some fly-by-night-scam told them to. How much money is that costing Kroger yearly on lost revenue plus the millions they are getting billed by a horrible company? And all that just to protect Kroger from very few check scams that probably equal to less than 50,000 a year. It really makes no sense to me. If you work for Certegy Check Services I'm sorry, I don't know you but I can only guess that you are a horrible person if you continue to support a horrible company.

Original review: July 23, 2018

I have written 3 checks to three different business in the last year. All three checks have been declined by Certegy for no reason. Only declined. If I want to know why I must provide Social Security number, drivers license, address, check number routing number and bank account number and address. Why don't I just post all that on Facebook or the web for everyone to see. Never written a bad check and it is embarrassing to me for my check to be declined. If I could give no stars I would.

Original review: July 5, 2018

I have a business and a check was written out for the wrong amount. I canceled the check legitimately through my account and now none of my checks are going through, this is ridiculous. I am being punished for someone else's error. Certegy is telling me that it will take 30 days to clear. Will not help me. I am being punished for a check that I paid for to cancel. People at Certegy are rude and just keep apologizing. Do not want apologies. I want help.

Original review: July 1, 2018

If there was a zero I would have picked it. I have been shopping at King Soopers Broomfield for over 20 years never wrote a bad check in my life and today get declined. The website for askcertegy is a scam. I have contacted my bank and I have no issues. So what is up with this company. I pay my bills thru my checking account with no issues. I was trying to find out about this thru this company and they asked all my personal information and then it clicks off.

Original review: June 29, 2018

This stupid company has rejected us 3 times from our local supermarket, despite excellent credit and no bad checks ever, and significant bank balances. ZERO customer service, all automated. I will be reporting them to any Federal authority that will listen.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I was recently approved for SSI and needed to take my first check payment to be cashed at Walmart because I no longer had a bank account. First off, I had to wait in line 20 minutes because the representative obviously did not want to be at work, only to have my check declined. This made me extremely nervous, I immediately thought my benefits had been cancelled or the check had been cashed by someone else. I couldn't understand why a US Treasury check could not be cashed. The very generic receipt gave no information whatsoever as to why I was unable to cash the check. Certegy's website and hotline told me absolutely nothing and because it was the weekend, I had to just deal with it. I will never use their service again and I hope something is done to this company because they are making to much money to be this complacent.

Original review: June 7, 2018

Well, Kroger ~ after being a loyal paying customer for nearly 20 years, I won't be shopping at any of your stores anymore. Fuel points & coupons are great, but the embarrassment caused by having my personal check for $122.00 declined in front of a store full of people with Certegy's lame explanation as to why is unacceptable. Be aware that Certegy is evasive with the reasoning and blames YOUR criteria but fails to provide any negative history. The last 10 checks I have written were to Kroger and they all cleared my account without incident. I write one at least once a month. Sometimes twice. Thanks for nothing.

Original review: June 6, 2018

I’ve been buying groceries from Kroger for over 20 years. Today I wanted to write my check over and get cash to pay a family member some money without having to run to the bank. They declined my check for 164 Dollars. I feel like I'm in the twilight zone. Never once have I bounced a check. My last check of my credit had my score in the 800’s and I have the money in the bank to cover it. I call the number and they cannot give me a reason on why I was declined. I then want to get a report but am quickly skeptical because they want my social security number, routing and bank account number. Um no thanks, keep the report. I know I have nothing derog in nature on there. Shame on Kroger for doing business with this company. They are terrible.

Original review: June 5, 2018

We have been Buying Groceries and fuel from Smith's Food & Drug for over 25 years, and out of the blue They are not honoring our checks, they can't give us a reason, and neither can this Certegy Check Services, and When this all happens in where they can't take your check they pretty much announce it and make you feel like a criminal like you're trying to pass a bad check. We have never passed a bad check ever with SMITH'S or anyone else, and to be treated like this is intolerable. I called and they can't give you info, that you're just a risk? Really? I think they are being discriminatory, and I think I will be looking into finding an attorney. DISGUSTED!!

Original review: June 3, 2018

Was recently at two different Walmarts to cash my VA disability check which I do every month. My check was rejected at both stores. I was told to wait a bit and try again and given a number to call. This number is only a recording. Went to the website and it was a vague answer after giving some reference number. Walmart requires a SS# to cash checks. I was told by a check cashing business that no they cannot ask for that to just cash a check. I had to pay close to $90 to cash my check as I do not have a bank account. To treat veterans this way is downright disgraceful.

Original review: May 26, 2018

I went to cash a check at Publix and it was declined. What right does Certify have to collect my information. When I called that you can't speak to a person. We plan to boycott Publix and any other business that uses these bogus companies.

Original review: May 25, 2018

Tried to use a business check today at a local store and the check was declined. I am required by law to use only cash or check to pay for certain products. After contacting Certegy regarding the denied transaction, the only explanation they could use is that it did not meet the "guidelines." After asking what the guidelines were, they were not able to give me any information. I have used the same type of business checks for years with no problem until the store started using Certegy. If I have to buy new business checks I fully expect Certegy to pay for them. They need to find better excuses or be able to tell the customer how to fix the problem.

Original review: May 15, 2018

I went to Walmart to cash a company check for $599 but it was declined, they said used the company Certegy to take the decision. This is not the first time. Last time I wanted to pay groceries with check and had money in the bank, they declined the transaction for "high risk". They check credit score without your permit, I don't see any sign in Walmart telling they check credit for any transactions. Also, I don't see any sign telling me they will use this company to screen me, which is all inaccurate.

Original review: April 21, 2018

Certegy is a crock!!! I went to Walmart to cash a payroll check from an international company, and Certegy declined for the second week in a row. What is strange is that the first two payroll checks I received when I started, there was no problem for Walmart cashing them. Now all the sudden they won't cash them anymore. What gives??? Two or three people ahead of me get their paychecks cashed but mine gets turned down? This company needs to go away permanently!

Original review: April 20, 2018

Took my 18-year-old twins to Walmart to cash 2 small checks they had received, my son went first, the cashier asked for his ss card and license. He handed her both then manually punched in his ss#, the cashier cashed his check. No problem, my daughter got to the register. Was asked for an I.D (different cashier) and then told to put in her SS #. She and the cashier put the number and check in 3 times and then the cashier says, "I know this is you and your ID and SS cards are real. Are you sure you are 18 because if you under 18 it wont go thru". They are both 18. They are twins...so she gives my daughter a number to call and we get a foreign guy that tells the clerk to run the check again...it is denied again...he says the cashier is entering the number wrong, and tells us we have to try again later. We went to Wells Fargo today and cashed the check with no problems...

Original review: April 16, 2018

I'd had a paycheck that was sent to my old address and since the forwarding had expired, it was sent back to my company. I didn't know about it until I got a letter stating they had an unclaimed check for me. Since the time of the check, another company bought the company out, but still both very well known, worldwide companies. At any rate they sent me a claim form for the check, filled it out, and received my check. Took it to Walmart and it was declined. Called the number and after giving them everything but my bra size, all I got was "It was because of the check."??? What about the check, what does that mean? It was an unclaimed property/paycheck for $800. What the hell is this company???

Original review: April 10, 2018

Fifth Third Bank uses them for their mobile deposit system. I hate it! 3/5 checks get denied by Certegy with no explanation! The employees at the branch have the same issues. They SUCK! No reasons, explanations, etc... all the while I'm sitting here trying to get paid by my customers and cannot! It's horrible having to go back to a customer and tell them that I will need alternate payment methods solely because Certegy sucks. It makes me look bad, it makes them feel awkward as to why their checks won't work. This crap of a company needs to shut its doors! Just today, I had yet another horrid experience and had to drive all over town just to get my money owed me for services rendered. I ended up just going to the issuing bank and had to explain the issue. The teller told me she's heard this plenty of times and that there's no issues with the check or the account holder. She promptly cashed the check. Ridiculous.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I tried to cash my payroll check and this company refused to allow it. I've had previously had issues with this same company. They need to be shut down or sued for their pick and choose option. I don't understand why companies use such a place.

Original review: March 16, 2018

Certegy is a legal discrimination tool. In 2018, technology is unable to determine if "I" am a true risk or not? A $500 payroll check to a hardworking citizen is HIGH risk. They say "We cannot tell you the guidelines we based our decision on because criminals will circumvent our guidelines and render us useless". Reality check Certegy "You are useless" if you deny me services based on your unknown reasons. The truth is, the guidelines are based on where you live and other discriminatory factors. If they tell you the guidelines, they can't discriminate against you.

In other words, they have a useless system that is only valuable if they can bar people "risk factors" they prefer not to serve. Rather than deny you based on YOU, they deny you based on discrimination values you are unaware of. What is the use of checks, if they are too risky? When I called Certegy, I only received the automated system. When I finally obtained the "live person" number from a useless letter they sent me (by request). When talking to the live person I could only be told I was denied due to secret guidelines. A useless primitive service that is legally discriminating.

Original review: March 16, 2018

On December 15, 2017 I wrote a check at Macy's in Pittsburgh for $15. When our bank statement arrived my husband noticed that the check had been processed twice, once on 12/16 and once on 12/22. He contacted the bank and they said they would issue a refund for the second draft, which they did. I went to Ross Dress for Less 10 days ago and wrote a check which was declined. When I called Certegy they indicated that my account showed a returned check. I explained what had happened and was told they would file a dispute on my behalf which might take up to 30 days. I went to Joann Fabric today and again my check was declined. When I called Certegy I was told that they don't have an account with Joann but they would document my issue anyway.

More than 5 years ago I had a similar issue with Certegy. I wrote a check at Macy's with no problem. I then went to another department and when I wrote a check it was declined. I later went back to the first register I had used and my check went through fine, so I thought it was an issue with Macy's. An hour later I stopped at Joann Fabric and again had a check declined. After 40 minutes on the phone with Certegy the agent told me there was nothing wrong with my account and she had no idea why my checks were declined. There is something seriously wrong with this company and how they do business and I can't understand why companies continue to use them.

Certegy Company Information