1.00/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

627 Certegy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I have gone to the Kroger store in my hometown since 1979. 2 times now Certegy has declined my check. I have never written a bad check in my life. I guess Kroger thinks they are big enough that they do not need loyal customers anymore. Certegy is a 1 star company and not accredited in anything. Way to go Kroger. Hire a company to chase away your customers. Genius idea. Next time Kroger do your homework.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I rarely write checks, but today I went to Kroger with my checkbook to buy groceries. I've never been so embarrassed in a checkout line! They ran my check and put in my ID and it was declined for $119.00 purchase. I've gone to this Kroger for years, and it's the only place I write checks, so why suddenly are mine no good there? The lady at Guest Services says they have a new check verification company, and she was sure it was nothing. The automated system for the number you call just said my ID or checking acct # fell into parameters and they were unable to accept my check. I have no bounced checks, absolutely no reason for this check to be denied and I was left humiliated and without groceries. I left them where they sat and went to Publix. It took me 1 Google search to find a 1 star review for this company. Kroger might have invested a few minutes of research time themselves.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I haven't written checks in years, been using a credit card...in an effort to be a more responsible consumer, I have started paying cash or by check. So TJ Maxx declined my check. Certegy could only say that my check met some set of parameters that flagged it as risky. I am beyond pissed at Certegy for not being able to specifically tell me what parameter...so I guess I'll be screening businesses. If they use Certegy...I will not be doing business with them!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I received my deposit check from an apartment place that I used to live and I went to Walmart, presented my ID, the check and it got block for no apparent reason. No explanation. I called this horrible business and no response. No explanation. I didn’t think it's fair for no one this business to be doing this kind of things.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

After researching online where I could cash my payroll check for an (out of state bank so I could not go directly to a branch since there were no local branches in my state / also I knew my bank would put a hold on for few days and I needed the funds ASAP). I see where Walmart will cash my check. It qualified within their guidelines as far as the amount was right under 5000.00 , it was a payroll check , etc. So I go to Walmart to wait in line thinking this is amazing! I am so glad Walmart has this capability, and what a great service to provide for their customers. Yea, not so much. The associate tells me my request to cash the check was denied by Certegy, and here is your disbursement receipt showing it denied and I needed to call the number at the bottom of the receipt to find out why.

Here is the response from Certegy: "This transaction received a decline recommendation from Certegy because it did not meet the acceptance guidelines, which may vary by check cashing location and transaction. Factors may include a combination of: the check number, dollar amount, check cashing history, or other transaction details. Although this recommendation is final, we will evaluate all future checks at the time they are presented. Another option to cash this check is to visit the financial institution listed on it."

Still had no idea the reasoning for them not to accept the check. The Walmart associate said probably because of the amount of the check, but it was under 5000.00 which per their guidelines that was acceptable. I still have no idea why, and I guess I never will. So I just had to bring it to my bank to deposit, and wait for the 2 day hold to release (which it is the weekend so my funds will actually be available next Tuesday instead of today (Friday). I knew it just seemed too good to be true. Never been a huge Walmart fan, and that still stands.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Certegy?

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

What in the world? The company Kroger uses for check verification, Certegy, was unable to process my transaction. I usually use a credit card for my Kroger purchases, however, this time I used a check - Certegy could not even give me a reason why my check was not approved. Shame on Kroger for using this type of check cashing service - no service. Very disappointed in Kroger/Certegy.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Are you ** kidding me? I went to Walmart. Stupid asked my Social to cash my payroll check from AT&T legit. This is a BS. And they declined it. Stupid ** system. It's a POS. So just to tell you Walmart is ** Mart. Don't go.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Wrote a check to Fred Meyer Jewelers on 10/4/2018 for $1,032.41 & it was approved of course. Wrote another check for a 2nd purchase on 10/7 for $245.81 and it was declined. I know the shop manager personally and she was embarrassed she could not over-ride the rejection. I told her this Certegy place is not helping her business. Evidently this is happening to many of her customers and she is reporting the concern to her 'head office.' She asked for and I gave her my debit card for the same account & it went through.

So what's the problem? I'm over 70, never bounced a check and have a fico score of 817. I usually charge everything but decided to write a check. Glad I did so I could see this situation for myself and try to correct it. This is not right to do this to people, it's wrong on so many levels. I went through their process to find out why my check was declined, now begins the wait for their response 7-10 days. I have their tracking number and intend to follow up with them.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Wrote a check to Kroger for weekly groceries. Have written checks to Kroger many times, though I don’t write checks as much as I used to. The check was declined. I asked why, they couldn’t tell me. Fortunately I did have my bank card with me (same one the check was written on) and completed the transaction. But I was completely embarrassed as I shop there every week. I immediately called the number on the notice and was told the decline could be based any number of factors and if I wanted more information I could request a report. So I requested a report. I got the report and it said the decline could be based on several factors including check # (?), patterns, transaction frequency, etc. In other words, nothing - nothing outstanding, no record of bounced checks, just a hunch. I’m sorry but this is obscene and should be illegal to just deny payment without cause.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

Wrote check for 402.30 at Kohl's. Check declined. Had to use Kohl's credit card with no balance to get purchase. Manager of the store, sales associate, and customer service desk more than apologetic. Gave me number to this company. No person to speak with. Automated service and got no results, asking for ss#, bank information and check number. No results. Checked with bank. Multiple thousands sitting in checking account. Absolutely horrified and so embarrassed. No explanation offered and no opportunity to speak with a person from this company. It stands to reason that businesses must protect themselves, however, not being able to get any explanation as to why when there is plenty of money in the account to cover the purchase is unacceptable.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I started working for the State of CT. The first paycheck is always live before your direct deposit kicks in. I went to Wal-Mart to cash my check only to have it declined. With no reason given. When I checked the website, it stated that it could be because of the check amount, the check number, or any number of reasons. This company is bogus!! How are you rejecting a government payroll check? If Wal-Mart continues to do business with them, then they have lost a customer.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I have been writing checks since I was 15. I'm 50 with almost a million (yes) dollars in my account. I was embarrassed the first time my check was declined (at PetSmart)...no...I was mortified. At first I thought someone hacked my checking account that I keep a balance of about 2K in. Then when I called my bank to find out everything was fine, I just figured I would use a credit card...that gets pulled from the EXACT same account. And then it happened again, 2 days later at Sally. My best advice as a consumer is to NOT frequent the businesses that use this deplorable service! I can NOT believe this company is in business and that these practices are ethical. The FTC needs to get on this immediately. For every check that is declined, I REFUSE to go back to that business! EVER. Bad business practices!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

Certegy, the check authorization service for Lowe's Home Improvement declined my personal check today. I have had a checking account for over 40 years and have never had a check declined. When you call the number provided you cannot talk to a representative. Their reason the check was declined was because of so few checks being written. This is no reason to decline a check. The Federal Trade Commission needs to do something about this service and I plan on making a complaint with the FCC.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I've shopped at Macy's for over 40 years plus had my bank account for over 40 years. I was dumbfounded when my check for $177.03 was declined on 7/22/2018. Certegy's reason was it was outside the guidelines Certegy established for authorization which Macy's approved. I had not written a check at Macy's since 6/10/17 but in July wrote a check on 7/7/2018 for $100.15 and then wrote the declined check. Appears their procedures indicate if you don't write checks often you will write bad checks. Also why give your bank routing info, checking account info with your SS number in order to verify the transaction in question?Certegy list their acct transaction number on their receipt for rejection.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

An employee of mine was able to cash a $750 check even though it was dated for 2 months prior and had a stop payment on it. The employee got a replacement check from us because she said she lost her paycheck! Really what she did was keep it and cash it at Randall's where they just allowed it. I received a bill for the amount of the check because they accept all checks face value as long as the presenter of the check has no prior issues with Certegy!!! How ridiculous is that? And the hoops I have been jumping to get this cleared off our company record has taken a dozen hours! A simple phone call to the bank to confirm that a check that is 2 months old is still valid is what SHOULD have been done. Also, even after providing all the information I asked for on bank letterhead, they STILL sent me a bill. They keep saying they are investigating but I just keep getting letters.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

My check was declined at a department store for absolutely no reason by Certegy. There is no way to talk to anyone when you call. After seeing all of these complaints, I reported Certegy to the Federal Trade Commission! I suggest that you do too!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

AGE & RACE DISCRIMINATION CASE AGAINST CERTEGY/TARGET. I am a local business owner and has excellent credit. I have written several checks to TARGET for business supplies for the past 30 years. Today, August 31, 2018 Target declined the first check and asked that I write another check. The second was declined as well. The reason written on the back of the check “Our decision to decline was based on information from CERTEGY.” When I called my business Bank I was informed the decline had nothing to do with the bank.

I then called CERTEGY and they informed the check for $172.03 was “too risky.” When I inquired what the risk was, they mentioned they are unable to reveal that information. This is undoubtedly an age and race discrimination issue. I am a 57+ years healthy, working individual. I am advised to file a discrimination lawsuit against Certegy/Target for $50,000 for the harassment and inconvenience. I have read all the negative reviews about this minus one star company and agree with the other consumers to boycott companies that work with Certegy, and Certegy should be closed down by the Department of Consumer Affairs.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

Check rejected, then finally approved at oft frequented King Soopers (Kroger's contacted company online to get more info, but they were most intrusive in info they wanted (SSN, bank acct, routing #, etc.) No way, very unsettling! Left website, no rhyme or reason for this encounter - will, not do, business with companies using Certegy.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Having read many of the reviews of this company, I couldn't agree more with most of them. When my check was denied, I told the cashier that I had just come from the local Credit Union and there was enough in my account to cover the check. She gave me a number to call, a place called Certegy. It took a bit but eventually I was put through to someone with a pulse. After a rather long discussion it boiled down to the fact that they had no record of my cashing any checks on my account going back a year. I had to leave the store, go to my credit union and get cash.

Question: How does one establish a history of check cashing at a local business, when the firm they hire to "protect" themselves from fraud, declines everything??? I told them their business model stinks. When one goes into a local business, writes a check on a local bank, they ought to be able to resolve any issues without bringing in somebody from an ivory tower somewhere in NYC or LA or Chicago to resolve it. This is a small town, population a little over 4400. Most everyone knows everyone else. What has happened to this country?

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Went to cash a check for 624 at Walmart and my payroll check was declined. When given a number, Certegy wouldn't give any real reason why it was declined nor would Walmart. I do believe Walmart has lost my business for a real long time.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Went to Kroger's to pay for food for a veterans event with an organizational check for a non-profit, check denied. Tried calling the number provided and went through all the "canned questions". Check denied and no way to talk to a live person to rectify situation or get clarification. It seems that when you play God with someone's funds, you'd at least have a live person on the phone to answer questions or explain your position. Your business model isn't the best way to make things happen. I can tell you that we will not be doing business with Kroger's in the future since they use CERTEGY as a gatekeeper.

Not everyone is a crook and fits into your computer algorithms. Your obvious lack of live customer service shows that you do not care about the end customer, just your bottom dollar of serving the business. Fortunately, for us, we were paying for food a day in advance and if this would have happened the day of the event, even though veterans would have went unserved, we would have left the prepared food unpaid for, leaving Kroger's holding the bag for CERTEGY's policies and unfriendly customer service.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

Went to Walmart to cash a check for $2000 on a Saturday and it got declined for no reason whatsoever. I've cashed checks bigger than this before. I'm not sure why and when I called the number on the receipt I could not get a real person or an answer instead I have to wait 10 days for them to mail me something that I have no idea what it's for. All I want is to cash my check but now I have to wait until Monday and take it to a bank. It's ** and this business sucks and so does Walmart. They will never get my business ever again.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I went grocery shopping with my daughter at Pick ‘n Save. The total was just over $200, and I wrote a check like I do every month, and this stupid company denied it. I called the number and was told it was declined due to store policy, check number or dollar amount. WHAT! Thankfully, the employees were very kind and patient and stated this has been happening a lot. So my daughter tried her check, same thing, declined. At this point we had 2 options, try splitting the order and each write a check or find someone who would give us their card number. We chose option 2. Unfortunately this reflects negatively on the store. As nice as they were about it, I feel I will be going elsewhere for my shopping.

Original review: July 30, 2018

My husband and I live paycheck to paycheck like a lot of people do. We have been cashing his payroll check at our local Kroger since April of this year. Last Friday, July 27, his payroll check was declined by Kroger and Walmart. The only thing they would tell us was that his SS# was invalid...the same one he's had for 43 yrs. With no food at home, I asked them if we could at least get a few groceries with it but of course they refused. So, my husband who is an insulin dependent diabetic, my son and myself would have had to go the whole weekend without eating. We had to borrow money to buy a little food, a bottle of insulin, and gas. We had to take off work early today to drive to the out of town bank where the check was from because that's what the robot at Certegy suggested. Their website is a joke.

Walmart and Kroger told us we had to contact them to get this straightened out. I have been calling them since Friday afternoon and I still can't talk to a human. And from the little bit of information we received from Walmart and Kroger employees is that until we get this solved with Certegy, we can't cash his payroll check or any other check because his SS# is invalid. How does your SS# just become invalid all of a sudden?

Original review: July 26, 2018

If I was allowed to give 0 stars, hell if I could give negative stars, I would do so. Certegy Check Services is a scam and if your business uses them you are not only damaging your relationship with customers, but you are getting ripped off. I went to a Kroger store because they claim to cash payroll checks up to $5000 USD as long as it is from a reputable business. Well I brought in a 401K disbursement check from Fidelity Investments, a nationally known company, to be cashed at my local Kroger. Unfortunately I wasn't able to cash a legal and legitimate check from a national investment firm due to Certegy. And the worst part is they won't give you a reason. They just said, "You can't cash it here." I called Wal-Mart, who claims that they will cash checks up 5000 USD as well.

I asked if they used Certegy Check Services and was told that they did and if I was denied at Kroger I would be denied at Walmart as well. So I decided to call Certegy Check Services laughable excuse for a customer service phone number and had to spend an hour fighting the robocall answering system just to speak to a human being. Once I got an actual person on the phone I must have had the tiredest, rudest, most unhelpful woman in the call center. No "Hi" or "how are you" just "what's your name and phone number in case we get disconnected" said with hatred barely held back. After I gave all the info about myself and the check I was put on hold for about 5 min while she looked up what had happened.

When she came back she told me the same useless info that was on the receipt. She said she couldn't tell me why they denied to cash the check other than it was a risk factor. She couldn't even tell me if I was the risk factor or if the check from the national investment firm was the risk factor. I asked her what she couldn't tell me and how to get this corrected and all she said was to take it to a bank location for where the check was from, which is in Delaware, and I am in VA. Needless to say if companies are still using checks to disburse money then they need to start using a bank or check brand that can be cashed anywhere in the world, the 50 states and even Canada and Mexico. And businesses that claim to offer low cost check cashing need to do so and be clear about what is needed and what their qualifications are. And all businesses need to stop using Certegy Check Services, they cost too much and are not consumer friendly.

Kroger just lost out on my money because some fly-by-night-scam told them to. How much money is that costing Kroger yearly on lost revenue plus the millions they are getting billed by a horrible company? And all that just to protect Kroger from very few check scams that probably equal to less than 50,000 a year. It really makes no sense to me. If you work for Certegy Check Services I'm sorry, I don't know you but I can only guess that you are a horrible person if you continue to support a horrible company.

Original review: July 23, 2018

I have written 3 checks to three different business in the last year. All three checks have been declined by Certegy for no reason. Only declined. If I want to know why I must provide Social Security number, drivers license, address, check number routing number and bank account number and address. Why don't I just post all that on Facebook or the web for everyone to see. Never written a bad check and it is embarrassing to me for my check to be declined. If I could give no stars I would.

Original review: July 5, 2018

I have a business and a check was written out for the wrong amount. I canceled the check legitimately through my account and now none of my checks are going through, this is ridiculous. I am being punished for someone else's error. Certegy is telling me that it will take 30 days to clear. Will not help me. I am being punished for a check that I paid for to cancel. People at Certegy are rude and just keep apologizing. Do not want apologies. I want help.

Original review: July 1, 2018

If there was a zero I would have picked it. I have been shopping at King Soopers Broomfield for over 20 years never wrote a bad check in my life and today get declined. The website for askcertegy is a scam. I have contacted my bank and I have no issues. So what is up with this company. I pay my bills thru my checking account with no issues. I was trying to find out about this thru this company and they asked all my personal information and then it clicks off.

Original review: June 29, 2018

This stupid company has rejected us 3 times from our local supermarket, despite excellent credit and no bad checks ever, and significant bank balances. ZERO customer service, all automated. I will be reporting them to any Federal authority that will listen.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I was recently approved for SSI and needed to take my first check payment to be cashed at Walmart because I no longer had a bank account. First off, I had to wait in line 20 minutes because the representative obviously did not want to be at work, only to have my check declined. This made me extremely nervous, I immediately thought my benefits had been cancelled or the check had been cashed by someone else. I couldn't understand why a US Treasury check could not be cashed. The very generic receipt gave no information whatsoever as to why I was unable to cash the check. Certegy's website and hotline told me absolutely nothing and because it was the weekend, I had to just deal with it. I will never use their service again and I hope something is done to this company because they are making to much money to be this complacent.

Certegy Company Information