Certegy

Compare Miscellaneous

Research top Miscellaneous recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I wrote a check for $250 to PetSmart only to have my check rejected. Have had that checking account for over 30 years, never had a returned check and have a balance of several thousand dollars. The only way to get my "file" from Certegy was to give them my SS# and other personal info. Nope, not doing that. Sorry PetSmart, just lost a long time customer.

Walmart did it to me. I tried to cash my check that I received as part of a settlement agreement, and Certegy declined it as well. It has happened to me before. There is nothing you can do about it at the store. If you can try and take it to the bank it is drawn on and they will cash it. I know it is crazy and everyone that it has happened to needs to get together and consult an attorney. I would be willing to become part a class action against Walmart and Certegy.

I went to write a check, on Nov.2, 2016 just to be turned down. I contacted my bank. They said when Circle K went to convert my check to electronic they transcribed the account number wrong. Therefore they refused to pay for it. Instead of Circle K calling me, they turned it over to this Certegy. They in turn turned it over to a company called CPRS for collections. I am in contact with Certegy, and Circle K and CPRS trying to find out. Certegy said it was a check for NSF. My bank said they did not send it back for NSF. They sent it back for incorrect account number. I have been trying to get my account released since 11/02/2016, and as of this date to no avail. I have turned this matter over to the Attorney General office. I could understand all this if I was in the wrong.

I am not the one in the wrong. It started out in Circle K office and chain reacted all the way through the corrupt system. Certegy has some very nasty people working for them. One of those people name is James emp. #**. He does not follow the fair credit act. He needs to be replaced by someone that has some education. Of course he is just an operator. I intend to take this matter all the way through the court system. No one has the knowledge to admit they are wrong in what they have done. So I will show them they were wrong. Along with a public apology from all three companies.

Went to Big 5 Sporting Goods & bought 4 pairs of shoes. When I paid with a check I was informed that it was refused/rejected by "Certegy". WHAT?! Who is Certegy??? I have a VERY large balance in that acct... I've bought with checks before @ Big 5... Why is this happening? I called the Certegy number at the store. Certegy's automated voice wanted my routing & bank #s - Wanted my birth date - my SS... WHAT??? I hung up!! I walked across the parking lot to my bank - got the check cashed & paid in cash! THIS IS HOW FRAUD HAPPENS WHEN YOU GIVE YOUR PRIVATE INFO TO A RECORDING!!! This is wrong! Wrong!! WRONG!!! STILL don't understand WHO/WHAT Certegy is - But from all the other comments I've read here & on other sites that I've been researching - Certegy need to be investigated & SHUT DOWN!!!

Went to a local Kroger (Western Union partner) to cash a returned money order (Western Union). Of course, I got declined. 1.5-2.5% declination rate. Uh huh. I called the number and it said that the merchant (Kroger) failed to obtain all the relevant information. I go back in and get declined again. This time apparently I didn't meet the qualifications, which of course are not actually laid out for anyone. System then refused to transfer me to a representative and told me to hang up.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Certegy?

Certegy uses the junkiest criteria for clearing a check. They have no idea of any factual basis for denying checks. Even with zero bounced checks they still consider a personal high risk. It was an HSA account that they declined. Obama Care forces me to use HSA. I do not deal with cash. Any business using Certegy should reconsider because from this point forward you are telling me you do not want my business.

Used check at Department store - Certegy declined my check - Store Manager did know who they were! They give a phone number to call - All it is front to get your credit information to sell to businesses! Contact the FCC and Close them down! They are ripping off millions of consumers for credit information. Illegal!

My husband and I were just at Lowe's, trying to purchase cabinets. Since it was a larger purchase, we attempted to use a 0% check from our bank credit card. It was declined, with a code 2. We called our bank, to see if there was a problem with the check. Nope, no problem, we had enough available balance, and we should be good. Also - they registered no 'ping' on the account, meaning that no one had even checked with our actual bank/account to see if the check was good, or if there were funds available.

We then attempted to write a personal check, still thinking that maybe it was declined for being not quite a 'normal' personal check. Nope - that one was declined too. I finally used my bank debit card, and the purchase went through no problem. I then came here to see what other problems people were having with Certegy. Whoa, boy. I'm not even going to bother to call Certegy themselves, as they are obviously running a scam - decline *every* check, for NO good reason, in order to con people out of their Social Security numbers and other personal information, to have future checks *maybe* accepted. My next complaint will be to Lowe's, for working with this massive fraud of a company to begin with.

Have been using e-check for some time. Denied at Pala Casino last night due to a "computer model" indicating "high risk." Had cashed an e-check the previous night with no problems. I have an approved credit line and was below that amount. Pala tried and couldn't reverse it. Certegy is a JOKE! Hard to get through and NO help! Their CEO, President is Srikanth Kothur, PO Box 30046, Tampa,FL 33630. Every company I deal with I will encourage to drop this scamming, insulting, scheming "check approval" excuse of a company for their invasion of privacy and detrimental impact on my life.

I have a bank account which is online only. My deposits are all direct. Recently I went through the nightmare of having my online account attached for someone else's defaulted student loans from 35 years ago! Finally the issue is resolved and the US Department of Education issues my refunds in the form of two checks! There is NO way to deposit these checks with Ally so I went to a Walmart as recommended by a friend. I was told my checks could not be cashed and was given a slip of paper with the ** about my credit report being my right... blah, blah, blah. I went home and called Certegy - Never heard of them in my life. They had me give my personal info and the numbers from the US Treasury check. Then they told me that there was NO RECORD of the checks being denied and to go back and try again!

I have been through hell with the US Department of Education which contracts out collection of defaulted student loans. The company they use does not EVER admit that they are not actual US Department of Education employees and they NEVER tell the same story twice about how to end their taking money from the WRONG person. None of the info matched except my social security number. None. And I was not even born when the loans were taken out! My point is that you cannot trust the government to do the right thing. They take zero responsibility for wrecking my finances and my health. And now we can't even cash checks from the US Treasury? They cleaned out my savings and left me with an anxiety disorder. I finally get a hard fought for refund and Certegy says I cannot cash a check from the US Treasury? I call them and they say they have no record or reason for the checks not being cashed.

After what I have been through I am truly numb. They take MY money and give me refunds in the form of worthless checks. Certegy was just as bad and suggested I go to a check cashing place. Where I live there is no such thing. The US Treasury took money from my direct deposit account, but they can't deposit my refund? It makes zero sense.

My father and I were at Lowe's to buy an air conditioner. When checking out his check was declined even though he has excellent credit and over 10 times the amount of the air conditioner in his checking account. The people at Lowe's were quite nice but when we called the company about being declined we were told it was because we hadn't written a check there recently! When I expressed my disbelief at that reason I was told if I wanted to give the company access to the bank account along with my father's personal information including his social security number his checks wouldn't be declined in the future. What a joke. I will not shop at any place that uses this company in the future. It seems like a scam to gain peoples' personal information to me.

I wrote a check at Lowe's for under $160 and it was declined because of Certegy. I quickly checked my bank account and verified that the balance was over 10,000. So, I called Certegy, gave them all the info, waited on hold twice, only to be told that there were risk factors to the store if they accepted my check. When I asked what risk factors she said, "nothing specific, just risk factors." This is SO annoying. She said she could "upgrade" my status to make it more likely future checks wouldn't be declined but that wouldn't be guaranteed, and I could try again in an hour or so - as if I wanted to hang around for an hour to try again. I notice other complaints related to checks at Lowe's; that company would be wise to look in to a different option for this service.

I've been cashing checks with Walmart here in Marietta, Ga on and off for about 2 years now. I cashed a total of maybe 4 checks from child support. I have never had a problem until last week. I normally don't cash checks because most of my funds goes directly to the bank. But, I received a child support check out the blue from his tax refund. I tried to cash it like always and was denied by this bootleg ass company. It wasn't much $1519.00. It was very embarrassing.

I didn't put in my bank because I needed the funds right away plus it was the weekend when the check arrived in the mail. I thought my bank was going to hold it but I called my bank and thank God they cashed it right there on the spot. I should have went there at first. I called because I was curious to know why it was declined. I never write checks and they have cashed my checks before from the same agency. Of course, I got a generic ass answer. My check was declined due to the amount, location or check number.

I'm thinking that since I haven't cashed a child support check in over 10 months this was why it was rejected. Nevertheless, I'll never try again... This place needs to update their check cashing criteria because decent hardworking people who have no bad check writing history is getting declined while the real crooks walk away counting their cash. This is preposterous to say the least. Unbelievable... Get it together Certegy. What the hell. I hope you go out of business.

Went to my local Walmart to cash a check issued by the US Treasury Dept. Lo and behold Certegy declined it. Since when is a government refused???

On June 30, 2016 I went to PetSmart 4230 N Freeway Pueblo, CO 81008 to purchase dog food. My check was declined not once but twice. They gave me a number to Certegy... Lame company... got the runaround again. Was told something about my ratio to balance denying me. I have written checks to them

with no problem. They seem to know about my checking account but never once did I hear "I'm sorry." They may not participate in Consumer Affairs... but here before too long Better Business will know where and who they are... Scam, fraud, PEOPLE TAKING OTHER PEOPLE's money... You should be so bold and do this to people... Karma... There is one, you know... it'll be back around... Customer of PetSmart no more.

When trying to purchase a washer, drier and refrigerator, the clerk at Lowe's in N. East Ft. Myers said the check was denied. So, we called the 800 number and the operator at Certegy said it was denied due to their computer models indicated a high risk. I gave them my routing number, acct. number and driver's license number and they rely on computer models just like the weather forecasters do, you know how that is! My credit score is 800+ and the checking balance is about 15 to 20 times the check I was trying to write.

After giving them all this account info, if Certegy can't determine the check is good by checking the balance to check ratio, then, they (Certegy) is not worth a damn. I think they are marketing themselves as snake oil. Lowe's should discontinue their services and do it the old way that worked for years. After all the delivery was scheduled for 6 days later anyway. Now I gotta go to the bank to get cash. What a bunch of idiots! BTW, Lowe's treated me well. I just think the upper management needs to re-evaluate the use of Certegy.

I have cashed payroll checks at Wal-Mart now for several years. Imagine my surprise when the same check as always at the same Wal-Mart was declined, and on a Sunday when I needed some cash. My experience was no different--called the company and given no reason except the voodoo recipe for check approval had declared it to be high risk. The cashier said that this was a relatively common occurrence and that lots of regulars hit the same snag on occasion--maybe the moon, the relative humidity, who the heck knows and Certegy won't tell. As there is no real recourse with the company, I see no choice but to boycott Wal-Mart. Hope others join me.

This company and its relationship with American Express in support of validating checks for mobile deposit is clearly a scam and a way for them to simply collect information. They declined a check I wrote to myself from my own account. If they can't detect that this is not fraud, then I'm not really sure how they could be doing anything good.

Certegy will not authorize my check and has flagged it to be denied for a reason they cannot explain. They'll just say some mumbo jumbo about their statistical analysis software. I called them after my bank said my check had been flagged and denied by Certegy. I called Certegy and they took my social, driver's license number, and check number/amount. They then told me that my bank would accept my check the same day. I tried my bank, they denied it again. I called back Certegy and said they were unable to do anything and that I should go to a check cashing place. Joke is on me because the first place I tried to go was Walmart. Walmart obviously also uses Certegy.

I live in the mountains, it was snowing late tonight so I decided to stay at one of the local casino motels. Have used 'Certegy' lots of times at this casino without any problem at all. But tonight it refused to put through an e-check, twice. Nobody understood, including me. Went online to their site and it was useless and mysterious, which is ridiculous. Sum total is I cannot stay anywhere except in my car tonight since checks are the only thing I have with me. I have over $2,000 in the bank, the room is about $65.00. This is incredible. I used Certegy at this place lots of times and twice last week without any issue at all. It printed off something about possible bad checks - not true, and I can prove that. But casino is helpless to override this outrageous thing they hired. Years ago they did this to me at Walmart because I generally used debit cards there and had not written a real check in several years. That's a really great reason, isn't it?

For a little over a year now, Certegy has continued to flag my bonus checks from work, as well as my tax return checks issued by Jackson-Hewitt when I attempt to cash them at Walmart. Each time, I've been given a slip telling me to contact Certegy, each time I've done so, and each time I've been told, "We're not sure why your check was flagged." What in the world is going on here? A company flags my PAYROLL and TAX RETURN checks, and cannot tell me why? Jackson-Hewitt sets up their booths in Walmart for crying out loud! This has become a massive hindrance, and I seem to have zero recourse in the matter. I can't even find a list of things Certegy commonly flags for and reverse engineer what my issue is. This is absolutely unacceptable, and I if wishes were real, my first one would be for this company to disappear overnight.

For years I have handed out the slip that comes out after a check was denied from Certegy but now it has happened to me. What a joke to find out that I do not meet their standards. You call the telephone number and go on the website but cannot find out anything to why it was denied. I have been in retail for years, the lady that took my info was one of the rudest that I have talked to. I could have understood if there had been a returned check or a habit of writing bad checks but I have none.

I am a senior citizen and last night I attempted to write a check at Lowe's to purchase a dryer. I have a sick husband at home with cancer, heart failure, kidney failure, etc, who has a lot of accidents with his bladder and bowel, my clothes dryer went out and it's been a week, laundry has piled up, in dire straits, and Certegy did not approve my check. There was sufficient funds in my account. I called the number Lowe's gave me and it was the same old crap. She said can't really tell you why it wasn't approved. She then did the same thing she did last time, read info off of a sheet of paper. I said to her from Certegy, "It sounds like you're reading all this info off of a sheet of paper" and she said, "Yes". This is the third occurrence with this company. They don't check with your bank to see if you have sufficient funds which is appalling.

I called Rent-A-Center in the interim to rent a dryer and they were very helpful and polite. With bank cards in today's world some banks only allow a certain amount of funds you can have access to in one day. Certain limit. This is why I wrote a check. This happened to me last Christmas at Target because they are using the same checking approval service. The other time it was Walmart. When you are at the counter and your check is not approved by this company it is embarrassing because the cashiers are loud and all the people behind you think you're trying to get away with something, even though you have sufficient funds.

When I called Certegy she said I need to get on their VIP list. I did that the other two times and still not working for me. She said it would be best to give them more info so they could manage my account, like give them my SS #. I said, "No, I don't do that with anyone over the phone". If these companies continue to use this Certegy check approval service which is appalling, I probably will boycott and not do business with these businesses anymore. That's a shame because I love Lowe's. Certegy is a horrible service, they don't even check with your bank to see if you have sufficient funds. How can anyone run a service like that and get away with it, it's beyond me. Litigations?

I went to Walmart to cash my federal income tax return check and was denied for reason code 2. I called the number on the printout I was given and was told a bunch of reasons I didn't understand such as it didn't meet certification requirements. The woman on the phone finally said they could not verify the availability of the funds (did the government go bankrupt between the time they sent the check and I received it?). So I can't cash the check at Walmart and have to rush to the bank to get the check cashed after I get off work. The really ironic part of this is I went to the Walmart where I work as a department manager.

My wife's sister sent me a money order of just $40 from Indiana just for me to take the MO to Walmart and my transaction was declined. Reason? My identification could not be verified, I thought it was a mistake. I called the # given to me by CS in Walmart. The first guy requested for my info blah blah and asked me to take the MO back to the store or find another store to cash it. I went in again and the CS, this time tried to speak with CERTEGY operator... same question was asked again from me and declined the second time. So frustrating. With what people have said about Certegy, I think it is high time Walmart withdraw their relationship from CERTEGY. Not a good image on Walmart.

Has to be the most ** company on the planet. They have a routine to keep asking the same questions and you to repeat the same information 10 times when they heard it the first time. They wont connect you to a supervisor and outright lie when you ask for one. It was a simple question I asked them and they evaded the question and try to misdirect with some form talk from a page. To get the information I wanted they actually had the balls to try and sell me a service when by law they have to answer my question. I didn't give this company even one star because they deserve a negative 100 stars and I will be filing a lawsuit on this company for wasting my time. When I get the time I will be going to Florida with Judge Judy and do some ass kicking. They thought they was going to ** with me but I will be the one ** with them. CERTEGY GO AWAY AND NEVER COME BACK.

I went to a City Market/Kroger to cash a Western Union money order that was purchased at a City Market/Kroger. Certegy denied payment due to "high risk." High risk regarding whom? They couldn't answer that. How could a grocery store who sells a money order not be able to cash it? It had their store name on it!

This morning we went to Lowe's to purchase some garden plants. The purchase came to $116.42, for which I wrote a personal check. The check was declined by Certegy. I first called my local bank and they said there was more than enough money to cover the check. After holding for Certegy for half an hour, the guy named Larry told me that I was "high risk". My Hubby asked to speak to a supervisor and this Larry person wouldn't let him do that. We got this Larry's ID number and Hubby said we were contacting our lawyer.

I decided to write to Lowe's President and CEO, Robert Niblock and tell him what is going on, as we just built a new home and used Lowe's for everything from appliances to lighting fixtures and flooring. This is the first time anything like this has ever happened to us in our 46 years of marriage; we've never had a bounced check and our credit rating is over 800. After reading some of the other reviews, I know that we're not alone in our problems with this Certegy company. Lowe's should drop them because they are certainly going to lose customers by using this company.

My husband has cashed his payroll checks at Walmart every two weeks since we moved to KS almost a year ago and never had any problems. Last night, however, we took our federal refund check in to cash and Certegy denied us. We were totally thrown through a loop. This is not something that you would ever expect to happen with a US Treasury Check! The people at Walmart weren't to blame. It's Certegy that's to blame!

And the worse part is that after waiting for almost an hour to speak with someone, she couldn't give us a specific reason as to why our check was denied! How can a company decline to cash your check, make you hold for an hour to talk to someone, and then not give you a specific reason?!? They're basically saying "We're not going to cash your check but we don't know why... It could be this or that..." I really hope that Walmart ditches this company because they are costing them a lot of business. We certainly will not be cashing any further checks through Walmart.

Last night, I went to Walmart to cash a check from a 401k loan I obtained from Fidelity. I had checked Walmart's website for a list of checks they cash days ago because I knew it would be late evening when I received the check and my bank would be closed. I have cashed checks at Walmart-payroll, student loan refunds, income tax, etc many times. Not anymore. I handed the cashier the check with my ID. She ran it and said they can't cash it. I told her that the Walmart website lists 401k checks as checks they do cash.

She said they do cash them, but mine was declined by Certegy. Wtf?! How do you get declined to get a check cashed?? I was furious as I have cashed checks there so many times and shop there all the time. I was going to call Certegy, but after reading these reviews I see that it won't do me any good. I'll just look up the list of vendors who use Certegy and won't shop at those anymore. This company is completely ridiculous and needs to be shut down! I've never read anything good about them. Walmart, DROP CERTEGY!!!

Certegy Company Profile