1.00/5
Based on 38 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 15, 2018

591 Certegy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 15, 2018

I went to Walmart to cash a company check for $599 but it was declined, they said used the company Certegy to take the decision. This is not the first time. Last time I wanted to pay groceries with check and had money in the bank, they declined the transaction for "high risk". They check credit score without your permit, I don't see any sign in Walmart telling they check credit for any transactions. Also, I don't see any sign telling me they will use this company to screen me, which is all inaccurate.

Original review: April 21, 2018

Certegy is a crock!!! I went to Walmart to cash a payroll check from an international company, and Certegy declined for the second week in a row. What is strange is that the first two payroll checks I received when I started, there was no problem for Walmart cashing them. Now all the sudden they won't cash them anymore. What gives??? Two or three people ahead of me get their paychecks cashed but mine gets turned down? This company needs to go away permanently!

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous & Personal Care delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 20, 2018

Took my 18-year-old twins to Walmart to cash 2 small checks they had received, my son went first, the cashier asked for his ss card and license. He handed her both then manually punched in his ss#, the cashier cashed his check. No problem, my daughter got to the register. Was asked for an I.D (different cashier) and then told to put in her SS #. She and the cashier put the number and check in 3 times and then the cashier says, "I know this is you and your ID and SS cards are real. Are you sure you are 18 because if you under 18 it wont go thru". They are both 18. They are twins...so she gives my daughter a number to call and we get a foreign guy that tells the clerk to run the check again...it is denied again...he says the cashier is entering the number wrong, and tells us we have to try again later. We went to Wells Fargo today and cashed the check with no problems...

Original review: April 16, 2018

I'd had a paycheck that was sent to my old address and since the forwarding had expired, it was sent back to my company. I didn't know about it until I got a letter stating they had an unclaimed check for me. Since the time of the check, another company bought the company out, but still both very well known, worldwide companies. At any rate they sent me a claim form for the check, filled it out, and received my check. Took it to Walmart and it was declined. Called the number and after giving them everything but my bra size, all I got was "It was because of the check."??? What about the check, what does that mean? It was an unclaimed property/paycheck for $800. What the hell is this company???

Original review: April 10, 2018

Fifth Third Bank uses them for their mobile deposit system. I hate it! 3/5 checks get denied by Certegy with no explanation! The employees at the branch have the same issues. They SUCK! No reasons, explanations, etc... all the while I'm sitting here trying to get paid by my customers and cannot! It's horrible having to go back to a customer and tell them that I will need alternate payment methods solely because Certegy sucks. It makes me look bad, it makes them feel awkward as to why their checks won't work. This crap of a company needs to shut its doors! Just today, I had yet another horrid experience and had to drive all over town just to get my money owed me for services rendered. I ended up just going to the issuing bank and had to explain the issue. The teller told me she's heard this plenty of times and that there's no issues with the check or the account holder. She promptly cashed the check. Ridiculous.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Certegy?

Original review: March 26, 2018

I tried to cash my payroll check and this company refused to allow it. I've had previously had issues with this same company. They need to be shut down or sued for their pick and choose option. I don't understand why companies use such a place.

Original review: March 16, 2018

Certegy is a legal discrimination tool. In 2018, technology is unable to determine if "I" am a true risk or not? A $500 payroll check to a hardworking citizen is HIGH risk. They say "We cannot tell you the guidelines we based our decision on because criminals will circumvent our guidelines and render us useless". Reality check Certegy "You are useless" if you deny me services based on your unknown reasons. The truth is, the guidelines are based on where you live and other discriminatory factors. If they tell you the guidelines, they can't discriminate against you.

In other words, they have a useless system that is only valuable if they can bar people "risk factors" they prefer not to serve. Rather than deny you based on YOU, they deny you based on discrimination values you are unaware of. What is the use of checks, if they are too risky? When I called Certegy, I only received the automated system. When I finally obtained the "live person" number from a useless letter they sent me (by request). When talking to the live person I could only be told I was denied due to secret guidelines. A useless primitive service that is legally discriminating.

Original review: March 16, 2018

On December 15, 2017 I wrote a check at Macy's in Pittsburgh for $15. When our bank statement arrived my husband noticed that the check had been processed twice, once on 12/16 and once on 12/22. He contacted the bank and they said they would issue a refund for the second draft, which they did. I went to Ross Dress for Less 10 days ago and wrote a check which was declined. When I called Certegy they indicated that my account showed a returned check. I explained what had happened and was told they would file a dispute on my behalf which might take up to 30 days. I went to Joann Fabric today and again my check was declined. When I called Certegy I was told that they don't have an account with Joann but they would document my issue anyway.

More than 5 years ago I had a similar issue with Certegy. I wrote a check at Macy's with no problem. I then went to another department and when I wrote a check it was declined. I later went back to the first register I had used and my check went through fine, so I thought it was an issue with Macy's. An hour later I stopped at Joann Fabric and again had a check declined. After 40 minutes on the phone with Certegy the agent told me there was nothing wrong with my account and she had no idea why my checks were declined. There is something seriously wrong with this company and how they do business and I can't understand why companies continue to use them.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Dillons couldn't cash my 401k cash because of Certegy's profile of me. I called them to find out what was wrong and they would not tell me. I have never done anything wrong and This is not the first time. I had no choice but to get it cashed at Ace and instead of a few bucks to cash it...it cost me 182 dollars!!!

Original review: March 7, 2018

I purchased a money order to pay my rent. Made a mistake in the name so my landlady wouldn't take it. Tried to get it refunded. Grocery store won't refund it because of returned item I resolved years ago. A money order. I wasnt trying to cash it. I was trying to get my money back. I cant deposit it because my own bank thinks it's altered. Now I'm late on my rent and out $350 because I have to wait 30 days to get refunded through Western Union. Their outdated reporting system is now costing me!

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I had previously purchased a money order from Walmart, which I have done in the past and tried to cash it back in but this position company refused it. Now after Walmart having me fill it out a certain way, I'm out 500.00.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

Walked into a Wal-Mart and tried to cash a check issued from a insurance company. Was declined due to Certegy. Clearly Certegy doesn't operate on facts because the check was issued to me for a car accident payout. Had my ID and check was issued 10/09 today is 02/18. Valid for 180 days. This company should invest in resources for consumers they're unfairly denying. Instead of a report 7 business days later. Then who knows what you have to do to get approved and how long that'll be. So easy to get declined by some big company. Should make the world a better place by offering a solution as quick as the decline created.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2018

I work for different oil and pipeline companies and first check is always check before direct deposit and Certegy always never lets me cash it. It's so frustrating and I'm broke right now. Have 2 checks haven't been able to cash.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2018

They declined my personal check for $57.58 to Sally's Beauty Supply on February 7, 2018. Not only have I been a Sally's member for several years, but there is definitely sufficient money in my account. Synovus purchased The Bank of Nashville in the last year and they did reissue all new account numbers starting with 001. I wondered if Check 524 was the problem, but when I go to Certegy it was not even reported as declined. Sally's Corporate Office did apologize, but I'd hate to think I depended on Certegy to approve or disapprove of my customer's check. They gave no reason! Sounds like a very poor company! (FIFTY-SEVEN, FIFTY-EIGHT... Hilarious amount!)

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

This company makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, my son just received his first disability check and it was declined by Certegy. They gave no understandable reason for this. Now there is a silver lining, if you can get the service desk employee to listen to you. I worked at a Wal-Mart service desk for almost three years and came upon the fix for this problem, 9 times out of ten.

The reason the checks are being declined is because the check has some type of printing error. When they run the check the numbers are not where the system thinks they are supposed to be, so to get your check to go through double check all the printing on it. Say if part of the top of the check is on the bottom just fold the bottom part and have them run it like that. The checks will also be declined if they are folded where there is numbers, wrinkled, ripped or dirty. If that is your problem and it is a payroll or other check you are trying to cash then flatten it with something heavy and if dirty just dab it with a barely damp paper towel and then let dry. I hope this helps someone.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

First time ever having to use them but my work's bank had an ACH problem so we were issued checks. Now this check was right at Kroger's limit but it was issued through a medium sized bank so there shouldn't have been an issue. There's 20 minutes of my life that I will never get back, declined and no reason given. Tried to call - waited another 15 minutes and said screw this... I had heard some questionable things about Certegy and this confirms everything that I was told. My advice, don't used them unless you have to - a very shady company with nothing but negative reviews.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2018

So I have been to Walmart to cash checks many times over the last few years. Usually use direct deposit, but my new employer says the first time has to be by check. So I go to Wal-Mart and get told because I have never cashed at that location before, that Certegy declined. So I drove to the Walmart I usually go to and they tell me it is declining due to an issue with the check number. So bottom line is I never got it cashed. Only needed to because it was a Saturday and my bank was closed till Monday. Anyway, called Certegy and they were worse than useless. No more business ever at Walmart. With a Meijer and a Target in my town I have other options that I will use. I hate that I even had to give one star.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2018

To be succinct: I have mild dyscalculia. I had entered in my Social Security wrong, and decided to contact Certegy. Initially the phone call went fine until I had to explain to the representative that I have dyscalculia and did not have my social security card in my wallet on me. It was at this moment her tone of voice and demeanor changed completely. The representative was very standoffish and suspicious sounding, when I had asked for merely 4 minutes to retrieve my social security card, she LOUDLY told me that she would not hold the line for 4 minutes.

While I understood the nature of the suspicion due to the frequency of identity theft I was not asking for special treatment merely just time to grab my social security card to provide them with the right information. Throughout the entire conversation she was slurring Her speech to the point where it was inaudible, and I suspect that she quickly grew frustrated with me by the third time I had asked her to repeat herself.

This is not a good company if only for the fact that you can't file any sort of formal complaint calling the numbers provided on their website only leads you to an automated system that either puts you in contact with a check Services representative or an automated process. By default it is assumed that if you were calling them it is because your check was declined at a given location.

There is absolutely zero recourse for customers, and to top it off at no point do I ever remember opening any sort of account with Certegy check services which leads me to believe that Walmart corporation neglects to mention that they have third parties handling your information. I was basically a customer for a company I never hired, and I have zero recourse because it is default assumed that I am a bum since I entered in my Social Security wrong. They were not accommodating. They were not friendly and to top it off there was no way for me to get in contact with a customer service representative in order to file a complaint against this particular worker named Priscilla. If you are a member of the financial industry do not use this Corporation.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I was denied cashing a check at Walmart and Kroger and was informed that Certegy denied cashing my checks both times. When I spoke with a representative for Certegy, I was provided with a blanket explanation stating that I had risk factors and the amount of the check (approximately $300). The representative was unable to provide me with what the risk factors were and how to resolve them. She just informed me to keep trying to cash checks! Ummm... NO!!! It is very embarrassing to be told that they can not cash a check so small but the stores advertise that they do cash checks!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I was denied two different checks at PetSmart on Dec. 28, 2017. Like many of you, I got nowhere in dialing the toll free number on the receipt except to be left on "hold". A couple of days later, I reached a person at Certegy who gave me the runaround as to why my checks were not honored. I explained that I had never bounced a check, had over 800 credit score, and had plenty of funds in both accounts. She gave me the same bull about the possibilities that might cause them to reject a check. I reported them to the BBB in Florida, and they responded with a vanilla letter saying the same thing. The Certegy rep said that they would send me a detailed letter explaining why, in my instance, the checks were rejected. I should have it by the 18th at the latest according to Certegy. I'll post what they tell me as soon as I receive the letter.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I'm 60 yrs old and never heard of this company before. Certegy. Now this company is denying my business at the local Walmart. I have never kited a check in my life. Recently, I have been denied several times over the last two weeks. They wouldn't even cash my checks from the state of California for 297.67. I call them and get no good reason other than that is the way they do it. I'm disturbed that this never before heard of company has a file on me. I just wanted to buy a microwave and cash a check from a reliable source like I have dozens and dozens of times before with no issue, not apply for a level 5 security clearance.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2017

Walmart uses Certegy and causing them to lose money. I was going to shop at Walmart but due to this Kroger got my business. No one has time to play games! You stand there and roll the dice and that is stupid! Don't attempt to cash your check at Walmart unless you like to gamble with your time and money.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

After waiting in line for 30 minutes to cash an $85 check from USAA because my bank was closed for the day, the computer required my social security number - which isn't even supposed to be used for identification purposes - and then declined the check. From USAA. Seriously? Like USAA has bad credit? So I called their 1-800 number and got a computer tree runaround of epic proportions. All it would say was that the information I gave didn't match their file. WHAT file? I don't write or use checks! And I know my social security number! I was not able to reach a live person.

I even looked them up online at askcertegy.com - there is no live chat feature and the contact us phone number takes you right back to the same computer tree with no live people at all available. So Walmart just lost money, I still don't have a cashed check and I will have to wait until my bank is open again and from now on, if the company tells me they do business with Certegy, I will not do business with them. That includes Walmart. So they lost more than their $3 cashing fee, they also lost a lifelong customer.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I took my 17 yr old son to Walmart last night to cash his first paycheck. He was denied by Certegy and was told that his info was not matching up for some reason and we would have to contact another company that they go thru. 3 months ago I was denied by Certegy myself for no apparent reason and the next week I was good again. This company is going to cost Walmart a lot of money because of their mistakes. Needless to say I took my son to the bank and started an account and he will no longer try and cash his checks at Walmart. Oh and the new COD game he was wanting to purchase, we went to Meijer and got it. Fix this problem Walmart or you will lose my business.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

What in the hell is this bull? It is devastating enough that I lost my husband. I cannot process that let alone the fact of this ** company blocking me from cashing A small $959 insurance check that has me fuming beyond mad, GUESS WHAT! NEED IT TO PICK UP HIS ASHES! I don't care if my credit is bad. Took everything we had to survive, cancer is not free! What the hell is going on. If it is because of my credit then go after the national deficit. Lost my everything and losing everything else. Can't even process blocking a check from and death and have no explanation, just, “Sorry mam your check is denied” in front of God and everyone. Trust me I am not done here. This cannot be freaking happening in this shattered world of mine right now.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Received some redemption checks from my 401k funds. (Checks were from Fidelity Investments) None over $400. Cashed one at Walmart, no problem... First time I had ever done so. So, went there to cash another one... declined!! What?? Called number on the slip for Certegy, could never get a person. Tried to cash same check at BI-LO... lo and behold... Certegy strikes again. Called and after pressing 0 multiple times was put on hold for a person. Thirty minutes later, no answer. Checked them out online. Oh man, what a scam! How can this even be legal?

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

My disabled husband, who does not have a bank account only a debit card from the federal government, received a pay-out from his state 401k account today. We've gone to Walmart and Kroger in the past with no problems. Tonight, we went in to cash his STATE ISSUED CHECK and it was declined by this fraudulent company. At first when he called the number from the declined print out, it kept telling him it didn't recognize anything he was saying or inputting. Finally, he had to put his social security number in and all it stated was it was either a questionable check or his check cashing history that caused the decline. This man hasn't cashed a check in years!!!

I find it absolutely deplorable they are doing this to people!!! I will be filing a formal complaint with the state commission of Consumer Affairs, the Better Business Bureau, ANYWHERE I POSSIBLY CAN to put these jerk out of business!!! If the check was questionable I might understand but this is a state check!!! And what the hell does his credit/check /ANYTHING history have to do with cashing a legitimate check? I am now worried because he gave them his social security number. I think we should band together and find someone to help us!! If anyone knows of a lawsuit or a lawyer willing to help, please contact me!!!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I went to Lowe's to buy things and had a check (Certegy) declined. I was given a receipt and told to call the number on it. I had to use a charge card to pay for everything. The store accepted two of my checks the week before. When I called a recorded call said that maybe they didn't like the check number. I can't get a real person on the phone. What a bunch of retards. The whole thing was very humiliating and I haven't a clue as to why. I'm thinking about having a lawyer ask Lowe's why.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

I just tried to cash a settlement check. The check was made out to me, all information correct, from a huge well known firm through Wells Fargo Bank. I wasn't given any reason at the store, called the number for Certegy for more information as the clerk said they could help me find out why. Still just says declined and states the generic reasons which none of them applied to me.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I have never heard of this second rate, fly by night, hopefully soon to be out of business forever company. Tried to write a check at an Academy store in the Houston area. Sales manager said the check was rejected by this hack company. I called the toll free number and went round and round only to be told basically, tough, too bad. These fast food rejects won't even allow a consumer to send them an email, I wonder why that is? They intentionally made the process much more difficult than it should be. I think that the state's Attorney General's office should look into their sketchy business practices.

Certegy Company Information