2. Miscellaneous

2.2/5 (819 ratings)

About Certegy

Certegy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Certegy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Certegy?

Original review: June 12, 2021

Walmart and any other company that uses this low-level company needs to be ashamed. This company does not offer authentic check verification services. I went to Walmart to cash an insurance check from Wawanesa and the check was declined. I was mortified. I called the company and was presented with a robo answering machine type person who did not understand the English Language and could not decipher the words that were coming out of my mouth. I tried spelling my name, repeating it again and again and still..the machine robot got it wrong. I decided to download the dispute form and it dawned on me that this is a low hanging business that is owned by robots.

They want personal information DL, SS# okay but why do you need my bank's routing number when the check I was trying to cash was not drawn on my bank. I decided that I was not even going to pursue the matter because I haven't cashed a check in years and it will be a new decade before I attempt to cash a check at cut-rate Walmart whose entire business is going downhill fast anyway. They have forgotten how to treat people and keeping a service like Certegy is an indication that you want to do everything at a cut-rate Quality does not matter.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

So I went to my local Kroger to cash my Disability Check, you know, the ones issued by the United States Treasury Dept. Just to have them decline me cashing it. Called the number provided, got some bogus excuse from an automated message about history etc. So from my understanding, I have not had to cash a check in 2 and a half years so now I am a cashing risk? It said to take it to the financial institution.... Hard to do with a Check like that. This company makes it difficult to get your money and is bad for the businesses that use it. Was gonna buy something from the store I was at, but that went out the window, like me cashing that check....

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 16, 2020

Walmart and Fry's Foods denied cashing a $350 check from Ameriprise. Denied at both places, then later found out they both use the same bogus company for check cashing service. No clear explanation, just a, "no, we can't cash it." Then I call the number and it has no idea who I am, offering me choices of places I lived which I never did or it was so long ago and such a brief stay. I could never remember those addresses and zip codes from 25 years ago!

I just hung up after 3 or 4 questions that didn't pertain to me and had no option to get a correct answer. Then confused me with my dad who I am not a Jr. But since they only use a middle initial (how stupid is that when they are trying to prove you are who they think you might be) which could include hundreds of possible middle name variations for the letter J. How do they think they'll ever be able to tell people apart. I do think that this is the root of all their problems. You simply cannot expect any exact results when you do not even know the person's entire name, this allows a huge margin of overlap where there clearly should not be.

My middle is James while my dad was Joseph, not a Jr. and should never have come up as 1, I had no way of correcting it and didn't really much care after I was exposed to how non specific their data was compiled and the margin of error being as high as it could possible be simply made their info incorrect right from the very start. How anyone could think that they can compile a database not knowing the full names of the people they are judging is beyond my comprehension. I do believe that each and every person who has been denied is due to this vague matching that they rely on to pass judgment.

Original review: June 8, 2020

I went to Michaels to get a project framed and wrote a check. It was declined without any reason and I was told not to use my check there in the future. I called Certegy when I got home and could not speak to a live person and they wanted all kinds of information from me which I did not give. The store did accept my ATM card which is from the same account. I have never had a problem with a check. This company is a fraud and should not be in business.

Original review: May 19, 2020

Been shopping at Smiths for a very long time, never been denied writing checks there. Went to pay for my groceries and they told me I needed a different method of payment and no reason why. Called Certegy, automated and required all of my personal information. Since they refused my check, I thought they would have all that info on me. I hung up and decided to go online to see what this company is all about. Boy am I glad I did. Everyone has had the same experience as I. So, I would like to say to Gary of NC if you should decide to do a class action suit against these people, please include me.

Original review: May 10, 2020

This compassionless company assesses check cashing risk factors for many grocery stores nationwide but has completely failed with it lack of response to COVID 19. I’ve been waiting 8 weeks for unemployment. Now I finally get it and I can’t open a bank account due to corona and thanks to this company and the state of Oregon I get to cash 2 checks every 48 hours.... maybe since each check has its own algorithm.

So if your inept government officials decide to send 8 checks to you with the same date and you don’t have a bank account plus you're 2 months behind on your bills because of a worldwide pandemic. Certegy doesn’t care. They have to protect Walmart, Safeway, Albertsons food4less.... etc. Most big name chains across the U.S. from the risk of me paying them to cash government issued checks!? This isn’t right especially given the current pandemic. The store manager should at least be able to override this decision made by computers right?? You can tell that the people at the counter most the time generally want to help you but their hands are tied and Certegy probably gets a payment every time they suggest a decline. So there is obviously incentive there I’d assume. I’m Definitely no finished exposing this company for what it’s doing to people in dire straits.

Original review: May 5, 2020

Went to Walmart to cash a check written by Walmart retirement account, drawn on Bank of America account (check has Wal-Mart/Sams logo top of check). Was declined. Called # on receipt and recording said they were unable to capture some important information, try again. So got back in line only to be declined a second time. Went online trying to get an answer and response was “some important transaction information was not captured in our system. You may try your transaction again.” Seriously, a check written by Walmart to a Walmart employee can’t be cashed at Walmart. What a joke.

Original review: April 28, 2020

I have been writing checks for 40 years and never have had one declined. I went to my local grocery store to shop, upon checkout my check was declined by Certegy with no explanation. The manager did an override and accepted my check. This has happened twice this month at the same store. I call Certegy and cannot speak to a person, not one reason is given on their automated system as to why I was declined. The store manager also called and got the same useless information. The store manager said he will just continue to override as he knows my checks are good. Stay far away from this company.

Original review: March 22, 2020

I attempted to cash a money order at Wal-Mart. The money order is a form of collecting rent so I had cashed a few at another Walmart location and deposit others at the bank. I went to a different Walmart location today and the money order (purchased from another Walmart) was declined by Certegy with no explanation. I think the company has poor practices. When I called the number I was asked for my bank routing and account number, social security number, and driver's license number. It really sounds like a big phishing scam. Everyone affected should save the receipt print out Walmart or any retailer provides when Certegy declines your check or money order.

Original review: March 16, 2020

Went to Michaels to get a picture framed. I wrote a business check to finalize the transaction. The picture is for the office. The check was declined. I used a debit card from the SAME account to pay. I called the Certegy phone number given to me on the receipt. Could not get in touch with a person. Still don't know why the check was declined. Found out I was "eligible to receive a record of my account". All I had to do was give my SS number, drivers license number, bank account and routing number. I do not get a good feeling about any of this. I hung up. Do not feel good about this company. They want too much of my information and I have no information about them. I would rate them a ZERO.

Certegy Company Information