1.05/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 10, 2017

567 Certegy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 10, 2017

I took my 17 yr old son to Walmart last night to cash his first paycheck. He was denied by Certegy and was told that his info was not matching up for some reason and we would have to contact another company that they go thru. 3 months ago I was denied by Certegy myself for no apparent reason and the next week I was good again. This company is going to cost Walmart a lot of money because of their mistakes. Needless to say I took my son to the bank and started an account and he will no longer try and cash his checks at Walmart. Oh and the new COD game he was wanting to purchase, we went to Meijer and got it. Fix this problem Walmart or you will lose my business.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Received some redemption checks from my 401k funds. (Checks were from Fidelity Investments) None over $400. Cashed one at Walmart, no problem... First time I had ever done so. So, went there to cash another one... declined!! What?? Called number on the slip for Certegy, could never get a person. Tried to cash same check at BI-LO... lo and behold... Certegy strikes again. Called and after pressing 0 multiple times was put on hold for a person. Thirty minutes later, no answer. Checked them out online. Oh man, what a scam! How can this even be legal?

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

My disabled husband, who does not have a bank account only a debit card from the federal government, received a pay-out from his state 401k account today. We've gone to Walmart and Kroger in the past with no problems. Tonight, we went in to cash his STATE ISSUED CHECK and it was declined by this fraudulent company. At first when he called the number from the declined print out, it kept telling him it didn't recognize anything he was saying or inputting. Finally, he had to put his social security number in and all it stated was it was either a questionable check or his check cashing history that caused the decline. This man hasn't cashed a check in years!!!

I find it absolutely deplorable they are doing this to people!!! I will be filing a formal complaint with the state commission of Consumer Affairs, the Better Business Bureau, ANYWHERE I POSSIBLY CAN to put these jerk out of business!!! If the check was questionable I might understand but this is a state check!!! And what the hell does his credit/check /ANYTHING history have to do with cashing a legitimate check? I am now worried because he gave them his social security number. I think we should band together and find someone to help us!! If anyone knows of a lawsuit or a lawyer willing to help, please contact me!!!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I went to Lowe's to buy things and had a check (Certegy) declined. I was given a receipt and told to call the number on it. I had to use a charge card to pay for everything. The store accepted two of my checks the week before. When I called a recorded call said that maybe they didn't like the check number. I can't get a real person on the phone. What a bunch of retards. The whole thing was very humiliating and I haven't a clue as to why. I'm thinking about having a lawyer ask Lowe's why.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

I just tried to cash a settlement check. The check was made out to me, all information correct, from a huge well known firm through Wells Fargo Bank. I wasn't given any reason at the store, called the number for Certegy for more information as the clerk said they could help me find out why. Still just says declined and states the generic reasons which none of them applied to me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Certegy?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I have never heard of this second rate, fly by night, hopefully soon to be out of business forever company. Tried to write a check at an Academy store in the Houston area. Sales manager said the check was rejected by this hack company. I called the toll free number and went round and round only to be told basically, tough, too bad. These fast food rejects won't even allow a consumer to send them an email, I wonder why that is? They intentionally made the process much more difficult than it should be. I think that the state's Attorney General's office should look into their sketchy business practices.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

It hurts me to even give 1 star for Certegy Check Services, Inc. since that is their current rating. I am sorry to have ever come in contact with this company after reading the complaints consumers have made against them. It seems it is a circus and certainly convinces me after 1 single dealing. We had carpet installed in our home on August 30th and paid with a check. The installer electronically deposited the check while standing in front of my husband and myself. They then left and everything was perfect. Then 3 days ago we received a letter from Certegy Check Services, Inc. "Stating on August 30, 2017, our records indicate that you authorized an electronic funds transfer to EMPIRE HOME SERVICES FOR $- - - as payment for goods and/or services." (amount doesn't need to appear here I feel).

"THROUGH NO APPARENT ERROR ON YOUR PART, Certegy has been notified by your financial institution that they were unable to process this transaction to your account. Some of the more common reasons that this may occur include 'read' errors by check conversion equipment... Routing Number and/or account number structure." I called the number listed 1-866-834-5125 and was assisted by a young lady who after I gave her the routing number and account number stated... "That's what's wrong, the caller didn't give the 000 that our account number started with." So he gave an incomplete account number which the bank turned the withdrawal down of course since the account number was wrong. She entered the correct account number and thanked me for calling so I thought that was the end of our dealings with this company.

Then the next day, yesterday 9-15-17 which was dated 8/31/2017, we received another letter from Certegy Check Services, Inc. stating I had authorized them to Debit a Returnee Check Charge of $25.00 from our account. This subject was never discussed and certainly not approved by me since we were not responsible for the error. It was the installer for Empire Residential that called the numbers in to make the deposit. I have called the number Certegy Check Services, Inc. said to call if there is any problem not to hesitate to call which is 1-800-588-2300 which put me in a never ending loop of choices which have nothing to do with my problem of being charged a service charge that is unfair with no way to connect or speak with a human being.

I called Empire Carpet in San Jose reference #** but wasn't given to anyone in management leaving me to deal with a person answering the phone which said she asked the manager there about the problem and he said I had to deal with Certegy since they are the one that handled the transaction, completely leaving the installer and his error out of the loop. This is a total rip off by Certegy Check Services, Inc. by expecting consumers to pick up the expenses when their Customer is the one at fault. What do they do?? Charge every single person $25.00??? What a way to get rich that is for them!! Total rip off.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

First all of Certegy sucks and I will explain exactly why. I received a bank check not a personal check in the amount of $371.12 and there was no question at all that this check would not clear as it was issued from a bank. Banks do not ever issue bad checks ever. I use mobile deposit with one of the leading prepaid card companies in the country. When using the mobile deposit feature you have to enter the exact amount of the check, take a photo of the front and back and make sure it is signed by you and it is so simple a baboon could do it. I really did not have the time to go to the physical branch plus it was over an hour away so I decided to deposit this bank check by mobile deposit. I did every single thing exactly and processed the check and I had received a confirmation number to confirm the transaction.

About 30 minutes later I received an email from my prepaid card bank indicating my mobile deposit of $371.12 was declined as it was declined by a company called "Certigy". I had never heard of this company so I picked up the phone and called them from the toll free number I received in the email. After 22 minutes off pressing different buttons to do this and to do that I finally got this complete imbecile on the phone and I explained to the moron what had happened.

After providing him all the mandatory information he had the nerve, gall and audacity to say to me, "Sir, in order to find out exactly why you must send in a letter with all the information and it must be signed by you and you will receive a written response in the U.S. mail within the next 2 to 3 weeks". I asked him, "Is there a way I can email or fax your company about this so I can get this information...?" He replied, "No, Sir I am sorry but we do not accept and emails or faxes from customers". I hung up on the imbecile due to being totally disgusted. From what this imbecile had informed me I was left holding my own bag and had to send in a letter to them and I did. I actually sent the letter U.S. certified with return receipt to insure it got there. To this day I have never received any reply from this company by U.S. mail. This Certegy company totally sucks to the letter and they are the worst out there today...!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

I went to the same Albertson's I've been going to for years and wrote a check for $45.55. My check was declined by Certegy with no reason given and, even though the manager recognized me at the store, the terminal would not let her override it because of Certegy. Two days previously, I had gone to another Albertson's 5 miles away, wrote a check for $29.99 and the check went through fine. The week before, I wrote a check at the first Albertson's for over $70.00 and it went through. When asked why my check didn't go through, the store told me there was no error code and I'd have to call Certegy to find out.

I called Certegy immediately and got stuck in their pathetic phone tree trying to enter my bank routing number which it asks for and it says it doesn't recognize it. I tried typing in my driver's license number, another option, and it says it doesn't recognize it. This is obviously a scam of some type running and is frustrating because there are no options to talk to a human. I tried saying "customer service," tried pressing "0" for the operator... And nothing works.

Someone needs to shut down this service as it is not providing any service at all to anyone. I have never written a bad check in my life and have more than enough money in my accounts to cover any and all of these amounts multiple times over. I expect Certegy to follow up with me and correct this problem and I expect Consumer Affairs to follow up and remove this company from being allowed to do this to people in the future.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

Walmart denied my payroll check and what's even worse is Kroger denied it too. Both times and both places were reason 2 and I was given a number to call. First time I've ever been declined and the first time I've ever heard of Certegy. I will be researching the hell out of this company and spreading the word about them, Walmart and Kroger to a lot of people.

Original review: July 21, 2017

I went to Wal-Mart to cash my PAYROLL check, which was denied by Certegy. No reason as to why could be given by Wal-Mart or by Certegy. I requested a written report, in hopes of that shedding some light as to why they would not process a PAYROLL check, but am still waiting to receive the report.

Original review: June 3, 2017

I had went to the Dollar Store and bought $33.00 worth of stuff, in which I had to use a check. I normally use a debit card. The store said Certegy declined my check and never gave me a reason. I called the number and it was a recording. I still don't know why they would not cash it & why it was declined. I have never had this problem before and never had a bad check in my life. Something needs to be done with this company.

Original review: May 29, 2017

I wrote a check at Target in April and Marshall Homegoods in May 2017. Both checks were declined due to Certegy. I provided information to them in anticipation of a report that I hoped would explain why this happened, but to my dismay I have not yet received a response. I also spent 30 minutes on my phone trying to connect with a human being in hopes of clearing this matter up to no avail.

I don't understand why my checks were declined when I've shopped at both of these stores over a number of years. Not to mention having acquired a card thru Target using my checking account after which they were hacked compromising my and other customer's personal account data. What a joke! There is always sufficient funding in my account, so it's not a matter that there was insufficient funds in my account, and I have good credit. Most recently pulling all three credit agencies reports to ensure that nothing strange was going on. My credit reports look good, so what's driving this targeting of hard working American citizens and why isn't something being done?

I read thru some of the other reviews and I'm astonished that customers and consumers are treated so callously and disrespectfully with no advocacy and no justice! I can't speak for anyone else, but if these companies aren't willing to investigate and evaluate their relationships with Certegy and companies like them that victimize consumers maybe they don't deserve our business.

Original review: May 22, 2017

After purchasing several items at Kohl's, the associate processed my check thru Certegy and it was denied for their reasons being: That acceptance guidelines were not met! When asked what they were, none applied to me... I have never bounced a check in my life. After calling Certegy, Kohl's and my bank... No one could help or explain why my check was not approved. Certegy is a "joke". They suck and do not care if there is an inaccuracy in their system. They do not fix glitches and the government should shut them down... They are a farce.

Original review: May 3, 2017

A customer of our Bank had a check turned down at an out of town business, they brought the information to the Bank to ask why it was turned down (which there was absolutely no reason for it to be), I contacted the number they were given and could never reach a live person so I requested a written explanation. When this was received through the mail there was still no information as to why the check was turned down so I called the company with the phone number on the letter and finally reached a live person who was absolutely no help. She could not give me a reason for the turn down and just kept saying it fell outside their parameters but she couldn't tell me what the parameters were.

This company is going to cause a lot of problems for good people that don't deserve it and they should have some kind of government oversight to put a stop to their poor business practices. No check should be turned down unless there is some kind of proof the person is a bad credit risk, and Certegy should have to address the situation while the person is still in the store. Our customer is a long standing charitable organization that has never had any problem and has never written a bad check, the check number was not a low number and Certegy even confirmed there was no negative information on file for them but still couldn't tell us why they were turned down. This company needs to be investigated.

Original review: April 13, 2017

Tried to write checks at Target and Kohl's and in both instances check transaction was denied by Certegy. I ended up using a debit card. Whenever I called to find out why they gave me a list of several possibilities including that I might be a risk factor. I explained that I had never had a check returned or written a bad check in my life so they must have someone else mixed in the file they were checking for me. They would do nothing to find the error or correct it. They just kept repeating the same thing. They appear to be not at all a responsible company because they are causing people problems and not doing anything to check it or correct it. Please Please Please do something about this very irresponsible company. Thank you.

Original review: April 5, 2017

It is beyond frustrating that I cannot cash payroll checks. They are sometimes flagged at Walmart and Certegy cannot give a reason. I'm just told to keep going back another day and try again. I live 30 min. away and the lines there are always about 40 min. long. I can't believe a company can behave this way and remain in business. I receive payroll checks from several employers and they've all been flagged. The checks are good. I used to like using Walmart as they are open later than the bank, but will probably have to stop using them for this reason. CERTEGY SUCKS!

Original review: March 29, 2017

Went to Lowe's Home Improvement Joplin MO. Have bought many things there with cash or check, would chose this store over many other home improvement stores in the area. But after the experience we had the last time we were at Lowe's we'll not be going back. Our check was denied. No explanation why Certegy just decided they would refuse it. Lowe's would not help. Said it was not them, Lowe's has Certegy as their software so yes it is their problem. Also they need to find a New company software program, we were made out to be lowlife customers. Not Good for Lowe's or Certegy. Nobody wants to explain their reasoning for check denied.

Certegy does not even let you talk to actual person and Lowe's won't help but keep saying Sorry. Not good customer relations, we will not be going back to Lowe's. Someone needs to look into Certegy's business. There are so many complaints against them and nothing is getting done about them still. WHY? Lawyers may be the answer.

Original review: March 25, 2017

This has to be one of the worst experiences I have ever had. It takes forever to talk to a real person and then takes forever to get your problem solved. Watch for any store or any type business that uses Certegy. They are awful. After you finally get a real person on the line, you are transferred and then told they can't help and give you another number and they are sorry they are closed. I hope I never have to deal with them again. The place where I cashed a check to the money from the wrong acct. I have 2 checking accts. Then I am the one who has to go through the hassle of getting it straightened out. Beware of Certegy!

Original review: March 16, 2017

Certegy can't verify funds nor can merchants do that. All checks are a risk for a merchant. They can't look into any bank account because of privacy laws set by the US Government and Walmart does not have to cash any check. They do it for the sake of the convenience, not a right or a demand. So talk about suing them because they did not cash your check won't get you nowhere but hit with paperwork and less money than you started with. I tried and the lawyer basically told me I had no case and it was waste of time. Plus, they reserve the right to deny anyone service.

Original review: March 13, 2017

My check was declined by Certegy for no reason. My bank will not provide Certegy with my personal information. It would be illegal for the bank to do so. Contacted Certegy about why my check was declined. No history of bad checks, no history of account having checks returned, just declined. TO FILE A COMPLAINT AGAINST CERTEGY, CONTACT THE CONSUMER FINANCE. GOV AT 1-855-411-2372. Also, contact your local State Attorney General Office Consumer Affairs. Try Consumer Finance first. Denying checks for no legitimate reason to get personal financial information IS AGAINST THE LAW.

Original review: March 2, 2017

I started having problems a few months ago at Walmart. I had been cashing my payroll checks there for months with no problems. All of a sudden my checks started being denied. When I called the number to find out why they told me basically nothing other than an algorithm decided that it was a high-risk transaction. And that was after having to find a direct number because trying to call their 1866 number let you through an automated black hole that you were never able to get hold of anybody real. So eventually this happened six or seven times in a row I had them send me their written reason as to why none of my checks from multiple sources were being okayed. According to them and had nothing to do with me. There was no negative items in my report. So finally got the written report and it didn't tell me anything more than what they had just got done telling me on the phone which is that an algorithm decided that it was a high-risk transaction.

So I waited a couple months and didn't cash any checks there. I finally took one from a person that I know had way more than enough money in the account to cover the check and it was still denied. So now that's 11 transactions in a row that have been denied and supposedly it's not because of me. I've actually now had to change my bank because they started using Certegy and if I wanted to be able to cash checks without waiting for them to clear I had to go somewhere else. Certegy customer service is abysmal. You have to go through this automated black hole and you still can't talk to anybody until you find the one number that'll actually let you get through to somebody otherwise good luck. You're not going to actually talk to a person. Avoid any place that uses Certegy!!! Once you've had one denied transaction that's it. They will deny it every time after that.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2017

I just received disability. In two day time I received 3 checks, 2 SSI and 1 SSD. No check was more than $1500. I went to Walmart and experienced the following: The customer service employee was drunk or high. I have TX license and Permanent Visa ID - I presented both due to my address is no longer in TX but CT. Both seemed to overwhelm her, she chose INS, didn't know how to read it, opted with help to use TX.

I know I'm not writing complaint about Walmart but they too played or caused it. She kept making errors, finally the two smaller checks were authorized and paid after several attempts by rep. The bigger check again her having to redo this over 4 times, finally produced check denied! My husband and I were stunned and we immediately went to call the number on the denial receipt. Much that it did us any good as I was in their automated vortex. I didn't even get a reason for denial. We ended up having to sign check to landlord.

But now this past Sunday presented my monthly check and denied again. At least the clerk was sober or alert and the transaction only took a few minutes. Again denied. We think the first clerk bungled that last check and it was red flagged. We were told by Walmart it could be because there was three checks presented? Ok maybe. I tried Certegy, yesterday, thinking they were closed Sunday and I would be able to speak live. Still vortex automated hell! I'm now resigned to pay ridiculous check cashing fee.

I've signed up for government prepaid card but it takes a couple of months. I did ask the clerk if I could speak to a manager but was told Walmart can't help even if this was caused by the first dealing I had there by their employee. I cannot believe I cannot speak to a live person? Customer service is declining. It should be better due to increased technology not worse. Also I have never been so blocked to speak to managers, but if I do they are unwilling to get involved even if it's their third party payor or contractor. I would totally sign up for a class action lawsuit.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2017

Same thing as every other review. Declined my photo deposit request (payroll check from Chase bank, just under $1,000). Went to Wal-Mart, where I've cashed payroll checks for months. The next day, I got the same slip everyone else did. Incidentally, it's the same info in the email... Apparently in the eyes of Louisiana, my state issued, federally backed concealed handgun license is not a valid state ID. I must have a DL or state ID to cash a check. Chase bank, the issuing bank agreed with this practice. I'm more than happy/willing to join/start a class action suit against this scam company. Avoid like the plague...

Original review: Jan. 25, 2017

I called to confirm that Petsmart accepted checks because my debit card had been compromised and it would take 7-10 days to get my new one. When I paid, the check was declined. I had to call Certegy to find out why. He stated it was because I don't have a check history. Well... You can see that I have NO bad checks on my account and have had a checking account for 20 years... And who writes check these days?? It was humiliating and frustrating. I had to leave my dogs there and go get cash. AWFUL customer service!!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2017

I wrote a check at Publix that was declined. Certegy said it was declined because of a returned check at JC Penney. Well, they never submitted it to the bank. I am still confused by the report because if you write a check with your current information on it, why would I now be declined because the current information does not match the old. In trying to clear the matter up, the rep kept trying to solicit my new and current address and phone number. It made me feel like I was dealing with a scam. If this agency can deny my check with the current information on it, why are they asking me for it? This rep kept asking me if I lived at Point Blvd. "Is this your address?" I felt sick the whole time. Like this was an identity theft ring.

Worst of all, she became angry. She even told me I would have to give my address at some point to clear up the matter. However, when you call in to pay for the transaction, it does not ask for that. I only asked to speak to a representative to find out how long it would take to clear up the issue once I paid. She said "anywhere between 14 business days." I said "okay", but she wanted my personal information and started yelling.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2016

I just got charged a $30.00 bounced check fee from this group who handles business for TJ Maxx stores. Unfortunately before the holidays I wrote a check against the wrong checking account, one I dont' use much thinking it was my main day to day checking account. I didn't realize it until it was too late. Not only am I getting charged $35.00 on my end from my own bank but now I have to get charged on their end as well to the tune of $35.00!! What? That is crazy. If someone writes you a check and it bounces, your bank on your end charges no more than $10.00 for this and they are charging thirty? What a scam.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2016

I'm having a problem with a check verification service. Called Certegy Check Service. Seems their computer algorithm has decided on two occasions to deny the acceptance of my checks. They have no direct numbers you can call to talk to a representative. You have to use mail or a fax. When you get back information about you they give you a number to call. They then tell you the denial has nothing to do with my check, DL number and such. They say their computer denied it for a unknown RISK FACTOR.

When you ask what the risk factor was they tell you they do not have access to that information and later tell me they would not tell me. Seems they were sued back in 2013 for their business practices and lost 3.5 mil, guess they have forgot to adopt good business practices. The person who called me back today asked for the wrong person. I have filed 3 complaints with the FTC so far. They said they understand and were sorry. There was no way to resolve their mistake.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

I have written checks at Publix Super Markets many times in the past. In September my check was declined and I was referred to Certegy. When I called them I was told my "transaction fell outside of the guidelines Certegy has established for authorization". She stated it could be from check writing history at this location, a newly opened bank account or the location of the establishment along with other things. I have never bounced a check and it was not a new bank account.

I live in the county seat and the Publix is not in a "shady" location. I kept inquiring what EXACTLY was my check declined for and she just continued to read the same scripts. When asked what I can do to fix the problem, she said I had to sign up for their VIP program which included giving them my personal info including social security number. I think this company is unfair in their denial process and I also feel they should be able to tell a person EXACTLY why their transaction was denied.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2016

I wrote a check for $250 to PetSmart only to have my check rejected. Have had that checking account for over 30 years, never had a returned check and have a balance of several thousand dollars. The only way to get my "file" from Certegy was to give them my SS# and other personal info. Nope, not doing that. Sorry PetSmart, just lost a long time customer.

Certegy Company Information