1.00/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

643 Certegy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

I received my MA State tax refund check. As it is Saturday and my bank is closed I went to Walmart to cash it. After standing in line for 20 minutes the employee at the service desk tells me the check is declined. She thought it may be because I don't usually cash checks there. She tried it a second time and it was denied again. I was given the receipt with a reference number. She said I would need to call them. I called and went through their system and sat on hold to speak to someone. After giving her my information and the check information she stated that it was denied because of the issuer. She then told me I should contact them and have them call a number she provided to me.

My other options were to go the bank it was issued on (not any near me) or try to negotiate the check someplace else. Since I needed to purchase some things I ended up cashing it at a check cashing agency for a hefty fee. As soon as I gave the guy the check he made a comment that I must have just come from Walmart. Apparently, his shop has been full all day with people having the same issue with their state refund checks. Absolute worst experience and a great way to make my Saturday miserable. I wish I could have given zero stars.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

I have been shopping at Kohl's for years and never had a problem. Today I made a purchase and balance was less than $10 and check was declined through Certegy. Seriously - I have plenty of money in bank and then when I called I would need to give some automated thing my personal info like driver license number and social security number. Totally ridiculous they are still in business. This is the second time they have declined a check from me.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

I received my monthly disability check from the treasurer of the state of Illinois for nearly $2000.00. It’s Sunday and tomorrow is a holiday so my bank is closed. I went to Walmart and Kroger in an effort to cash my check only to be declined by this incompetent nuisance of a company Certegy!!! I called the toll free number hoping to speak to someone but of course NNNOOO, it’s automated and completely useless!!! There is absolutely no reason this check shouldn’t have been cashed. It’s sickening and disgusting that some dumb** company is controlling whether or not legitimate government issued checks can be cashed!!! How can this be legal?? How can Certegy make the determination to deny a government issued check???

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

I closed out an IRA account and received the check a few days later so went to Wal-mart to try to cash it. To my surprise I was denied by Certegy with no reason. I go on Cetergy's website and find that I can look up the reason by inputting information pertaining to the check that they denied. This is what they say: This transaction received a decline recommendation from Certegy because it did not meet the acceptance guidelines, which may vary by check cashing location and transaction. Factors may include a combination of: the check number, dollar amount, check cashing history, or other transaction details. Although this recommendation is final, we will evaluate all future checks at the time they are presented. Another option to cash this check is to visit the financial institution listed on it.

Their so called reason is vague and doesn't tell me EXACTLY why (only giving more reasons of what it could've been). This is a printed check from Merrill Lynch for crying out loud, how is it denied?! Certegy has a product that clearly does not work as it should. It's supposed to filter out fraud, okay. Yet it seems to be doing more on blocking honest folks from cashing their legit checks!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I went to Dollar General yesterday and wrote a check only to be denied by Certegy who apparently is the System they use to determine if you qualify to write a check though their recording says, "It has nothing to do with your balance." There was plenty of money and I have never written a bad check in my life. I have been a mortgage lender for 23 years. Every year the majority of the states in this nation look at my credit and criminal record and approve my licenses to do mortgages. There has NEVER BEEN ANYTHING ON ANY RECORD FOR ME. Yet somehow this company is paid to turn people down for writing checks and then you have no way to reach and speak to a person. You have to take 30 minutes to talk to their automated system to get nowhere. They should be out of business or much better regulated.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Certegy?

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

My wife and I are remodeling our basement. I don’t know the exact amount, but since we moved to this house in October I estimate we have spent 8 to 10 thousand dollars with Lowe's. We made two major purchases with Lowe's, by check, last week. Because I am having hip surgery next week, and will be Incapacitated for a while, my wife went today to get the last of the materials.

When my wife went to write a check for her purchase, she was informed that her check had been declined. When asked why, a LOWE'S employee gave her a piece of paper indicating her check was declined by CERTEGY. LOWE'S staff made no effort to get her check approved. THIS INCIDENT OCCURRED AT THE LOWE'S STORE IN LONDON, KENTUCKY.

When my wife called and told me she had to use her credit card to make the purchase, I asked her to return the materials for a refund. I then telephoned the store and spoke to an assistant manager who told me the check was denied. Why am I wasting my time here? Assistant manager and manager did not care. The manager offered to give me the telephone number for Certegy, but offered no other help. Now I have to return about $2.5k in materials, then rent a Uhaul and drive 90 miles to a Home Depot. Of course the project will have to be held off until I recuperate from hip surgery and can travel for the materials. What happened to you LOWE'S???

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

Worst verification system ever. Went to Kroger's to buy groceries. Everything ran thru with no issue. When it came time to pay my check was declined. Called the 800 number - only got a automated response after putting check info in. NO ONE at Kroger market has the ability to override. Worst developer design decision I have ever seen. Will no longer shop there until they change the policy or get rid of Certegy.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Had a personal check declined at Kroger. While trying to inquire into how decisions are made and with what data. The phone assistance are given one key phrase and sound like parrots; "That information is Proprietary". Getting nowhere, I'm in the process of filing a complaint with Washington Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Have shopped at Publix for years. Never bounced a check. Friday, December 7th stopped after work to pick up groceries with my two grandsons. Wrote a check for 157.46 and started pushing groceries out when cashier said my check was denied...just could not comprehend. Sent to service desk...and the boys kept asking what happened. I. WAS. EMBARRASSED. Called Certegy the next day...and got a canned response and no explanation as to why check was denied. People I know were in the store watching all this unfold, adding to the humiliation.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I have been a customer of Fred Meyers for almost 20 yrs. I usually pay by cash and occasionally by check. I wrote a check for ~ $230 on 11/25/18. Certegy declined it, even though I have plenty of $$ in my checking account. I called, dealt with an automated voice response system, and 1 week later received a letter with Certegy’s rationale that transaction fell outside of authorization guidelines because I don’t write checks very often. How can I write a check, if I can’t write a check? This company appears to have made its own rules and insists on keeping those rules secret; there is no transparency or full disclosure. Company’s behavior negatively affects my credit score. This is unfair.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

Do not use this company for anything. They will decline you for no reason, even on a payroll check, and then they will ding your credit score. They will outright refuse to give any information on why your transaction was declined, and if you want to legally force their hand by filing a Fair Credit Reporting act form, you need to provide an insane amount of ID by snail mail. This whole company is a scam.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

If any company is coming on to review Certegy for a potential business pairing with them, please look elsewhere. Read all the 1 star (cause that is as low as it goes). As maybe as a small majority of Americans, I have used Walmart to cash paychecks for many, many years. I was traveling cross country and had a debit card that I generally use in paying for my expenses. I did a job for my boss in San Diego and got a paycheck. I was in an area I wasn't familiar with and so I just held on to the check until I got back to GA. Now my available balance on my card is low from using it on my way from San Diego to Atlanta. So I go to cash it and BOOM. Declined. Can't tell me the reason, just declined. I thought my boss' check had bounced or something. Instead it seems I've fell into the Certegy trap. I had another check with me that I had not cashed.

A commission check that I had used Walmart to cash many before. Declined. So then I think it's me. Now I learn there is a gaggle of folks all across the country that Certegy flags for NO REASON. Nobody knows what it was that causes your check to be declined. They just make sure it's declined. Even if the account is fully funded and you have a history. I can tell you that FROM NOW ON, I am going to CASH MY CHECKS at the BANK THEY ARE DRAWN OFF OF. If you are thinking of going with this company for your automated check verification company - think again. They will cost you customers. I am no longer going to cash at Walmart.

For any reason. I am going STRAIGHT TO THE HORSE'S MOUTH. Even if that means paying a bigger slice of the pie for the right to cash their check. I am not going to say I'm no longer shopping at Walmart. But all those checks that they would have made $3 a pop on...that is money they will never see again. And I will share my experience high and low with everyone I have influence with.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

Twice this week, my wife had her checks rejected due to a bad report by "Certegy." First at Academy Sports, then at J.C. Penney's. She had thousands in her checking account at the time. She went to the bank. They couldn't find any reason that her check should be refused. I called Certegy. Their automated system was worthless. I went online. After entering all the info, they said that they could find no record of the transaction! Certegy needs to be investigated! We will file complaints directly with Academy Sports and Penney's.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

So Certegy like all other reviews have decided to start declining my checks. So I call them to figure out why, to be told I'm coming up high risk? So the woman looks up all my information and tells me there's nothing on my name that is showing a risk factor, but can't tell why I'm getting declined. I'm told I need to find an alternative way to make purchases. So my 30 min conversation got nothing fixed except I now know anywhere that uses Certegy I will be declined at and there's nothing I can do about it and there's no risk factor on me to decline my checks. So they will decline me just because...

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

It flags both of my paychecks - one is a part-time job so 78. The other is my main job pay averages 3K a week. My bank is a few states away so I went to Krogers to cash either. NONE of my co-workers can cash theirs either. We went to Walmart and even pawn shops trying to cash them. So now I'm sitting out of state getting to take a day off work to drive back to IN to MY bank to cash my paycheck. If it was JUST me, or just one of the checks I could see it being something on my end... but, it's a pizza joint (well known in many states) and the other is a federal job - in all 50 states. So at this point they are costing my money.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

On November 15, 2018 I stopped at Albertson's supermarket for my groceries. Not wanting to spend all the cash I had on hand I wrote a personal check for the total. The checker ran the check through a reader and a printout appeared. He then pulled out a card from his wallet and checked something on the card with something on the printout. I was told that the check had been declined since I had "exceeded my daily limit". I was not aware that I had a daily limit and I had been to my bank not even an hour earlier and knew that the funds in the account were more than sufficient to cover the check. Begrudgingly, I used a credit card to pay for my purchase and then went back to my bank to see exactly what was going on.

The banking personnel discovered that Albertson's now uses Certegy as their third party check processor. I then was directed to speak with the corporate office of Albertson's in AZ. The lady I spoke with there was not much help. Due to privacy laws she was not allowed to tell me what my daily limit is only that my check for $84.44 had exceeded the limit. I have shopped at Albertson's for well over 30 years but after the utter humiliation I suffered yesterday I will be rethinking my grocery store choice. By the way, I have never bounced a check and my credit score is above 700. Also, if I could rate below 1 star I would.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I have gone to the Kroger store in my hometown since 1979. 2 times now Certegy has declined my check. I have never written a bad check in my life. I guess Kroger thinks they are big enough that they do not need loyal customers anymore. Certegy is a 1 star company and not accredited in anything. Way to go Kroger. Hire a company to chase away your customers. Genius idea. Next time Kroger do your homework.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I rarely write checks, but today I went to Kroger with my checkbook to buy groceries. I've never been so embarrassed in a checkout line! They ran my check and put in my ID and it was declined for $119.00 purchase. I've gone to this Kroger for years, and it's the only place I write checks, so why suddenly are mine no good there? The lady at Guest Services says they have a new check verification company, and she was sure it was nothing. The automated system for the number you call just said my ID or checking acct # fell into parameters and they were unable to accept my check. I have no bounced checks, absolutely no reason for this check to be denied and I was left humiliated and without groceries. I left them where they sat and went to Publix. It took me 1 Google search to find a 1 star review for this company. Kroger might have invested a few minutes of research time themselves.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

I haven't written checks in years, been using a credit card...in an effort to be a more responsible consumer, I have started paying cash or by check. So TJ Maxx declined my check. Certegy could only say that my check met some set of parameters that flagged it as risky. I am beyond pissed at Certegy for not being able to specifically tell me what parameter...so I guess I'll be screening businesses. If they use Certegy...I will not be doing business with them!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I received my deposit check from an apartment place that I used to live and I went to Walmart, presented my ID, the check and it got block for no apparent reason. No explanation. I called this horrible business and no response. No explanation. I didn’t think it's fair for no one this business to be doing this kind of things.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

After researching online where I could cash my payroll check for an (out of state bank so I could not go directly to a branch since there were no local branches in my state / also I knew my bank would put a hold on for few days and I needed the funds ASAP). I see where Walmart will cash my check. It qualified within their guidelines as far as the amount was right under 5000.00 , it was a payroll check , etc. So I go to Walmart to wait in line thinking this is amazing! I am so glad Walmart has this capability, and what a great service to provide for their customers. Yea, not so much. The associate tells me my request to cash the check was denied by Certegy, and here is your disbursement receipt showing it denied and I needed to call the number at the bottom of the receipt to find out why.

Here is the response from Certegy: "This transaction received a decline recommendation from Certegy because it did not meet the acceptance guidelines, which may vary by check cashing location and transaction. Factors may include a combination of: the check number, dollar amount, check cashing history, or other transaction details. Although this recommendation is final, we will evaluate all future checks at the time they are presented. Another option to cash this check is to visit the financial institution listed on it."

Still had no idea the reasoning for them not to accept the check. The Walmart associate said probably because of the amount of the check, but it was under 5000.00 which per their guidelines that was acceptable. I still have no idea why, and I guess I never will. So I just had to bring it to my bank to deposit, and wait for the 2 day hold to release (which it is the weekend so my funds will actually be available next Tuesday instead of today (Friday). I knew it just seemed too good to be true. Never been a huge Walmart fan, and that still stands.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

What in the world? The company Kroger uses for check verification, Certegy, was unable to process my transaction. I usually use a credit card for my Kroger purchases, however, this time I used a check - Certegy could not even give me a reason why my check was not approved. Shame on Kroger for using this type of check cashing service - no service. Very disappointed in Kroger/Certegy.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Are you ** kidding me? I went to Walmart. Stupid asked my Social to cash my payroll check from AT&T legit. This is a BS. And they declined it. Stupid ** system. It's a POS. So just to tell you Walmart is ** Mart. Don't go.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

Wrote a check to Fred Meyer Jewelers on 10/4/2018 for $1,032.41 & it was approved of course. Wrote another check for a 2nd purchase on 10/7 for $245.81 and it was declined. I know the shop manager personally and she was embarrassed she could not over-ride the rejection. I told her this Certegy place is not helping her business. Evidently this is happening to many of her customers and she is reporting the concern to her 'head office.' She asked for and I gave her my debit card for the same account & it went through.

So what's the problem? I'm over 70, never bounced a check and have a fico score of 817. I usually charge everything but decided to write a check. Glad I did so I could see this situation for myself and try to correct it. This is not right to do this to people, it's wrong on so many levels. I went through their process to find out why my check was declined, now begins the wait for their response 7-10 days. I have their tracking number and intend to follow up with them.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Wrote a check to Kroger for weekly groceries. Have written checks to Kroger many times, though I don’t write checks as much as I used to. The check was declined. I asked why, they couldn’t tell me. Fortunately I did have my bank card with me (same one the check was written on) and completed the transaction. But I was completely embarrassed as I shop there every week. I immediately called the number on the notice and was told the decline could be based any number of factors and if I wanted more information I could request a report. So I requested a report. I got the report and it said the decline could be based on several factors including check # (?), patterns, transaction frequency, etc. In other words, nothing - nothing outstanding, no record of bounced checks, just a hunch. I’m sorry but this is obscene and should be illegal to just deny payment without cause.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

Wrote check for 402.30 at Kohl's. Check declined. Had to use Kohl's credit card with no balance to get purchase. Manager of the store, sales associate, and customer service desk more than apologetic. Gave me number to this company. No person to speak with. Automated service and got no results, asking for ss#, bank information and check number. No results. Checked with bank. Multiple thousands sitting in checking account. Absolutely horrified and so embarrassed. No explanation offered and no opportunity to speak with a person from this company. It stands to reason that businesses must protect themselves, however, not being able to get any explanation as to why when there is plenty of money in the account to cover the purchase is unacceptable.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2018

I started working for the State of CT. The first paycheck is always live before your direct deposit kicks in. I went to Wal-Mart to cash my check only to have it declined. With no reason given. When I checked the website, it stated that it could be because of the check amount, the check number, or any number of reasons. This company is bogus!! How are you rejecting a government payroll check? If Wal-Mart continues to do business with them, then they have lost a customer.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

I have been writing checks since I was 15. I'm 50 with almost a million (yes) dollars in my account. I was embarrassed the first time my check was declined (at PetSmart)...no...I was mortified. At first I thought someone hacked my checking account that I keep a balance of about 2K in. Then when I called my bank to find out everything was fine, I just figured I would use a credit card...that gets pulled from the EXACT same account. And then it happened again, 2 days later at Sally. My best advice as a consumer is to NOT frequent the businesses that use this deplorable service! I can NOT believe this company is in business and that these practices are ethical. The FTC needs to get on this immediately. For every check that is declined, I REFUSE to go back to that business! EVER. Bad business practices!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

Certegy, the check authorization service for Lowe's Home Improvement declined my personal check today. I have had a checking account for over 40 years and have never had a check declined. When you call the number provided you cannot talk to a representative. Their reason the check was declined was because of so few checks being written. This is no reason to decline a check. The Federal Trade Commission needs to do something about this service and I plan on making a complaint with the FCC.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I've shopped at Macy's for over 40 years plus had my bank account for over 40 years. I was dumbfounded when my check for $177.03 was declined on 7/22/2018. Certegy's reason was it was outside the guidelines Certegy established for authorization which Macy's approved. I had not written a check at Macy's since 6/10/17 but in July wrote a check on 7/7/2018 for $100.15 and then wrote the declined check. Appears their procedures indicate if you don't write checks often you will write bad checks. Also why give your bank routing info, checking account info with your SS number in order to verify the transaction in question?Certegy list their acct transaction number on their receipt for rejection.

Certegy Company Information

www.askcertegy.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.