2. Miscellaneous

2.2/5 (821 ratings)

About Certegy

Certegy Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Certegy?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Certegy?

Original review: March 22, 2020

I attempted to cash a money order at Wal-Mart. The money order is a form of collecting rent so I had cashed a few at another Walmart location and deposit others at the bank. I went to a different Walmart location today and the money order (purchased from another Walmart) was declined by Certegy with no explanation. I think the company has poor practices. When I called the number I was asked for my bank routing and account number, social security number, and driver's license number. It really sounds like a big phishing scam. Everyone affected should save the receipt print out Walmart or any retailer provides when Certegy declines your check or money order.

Original review: March 16, 2020

Went to Michaels to get a picture framed. I wrote a business check to finalize the transaction. The picture is for the office. The check was declined. I used a debit card from the SAME account to pay. I called the Certegy phone number given to me on the receipt. Could not get in touch with a person. Still don't know why the check was declined. Found out I was "eligible to receive a record of my account". All I had to do was give my SS number, drivers license number, bank account and routing number. I do not get a good feeling about any of this. I hung up. Do not feel good about this company. They want too much of my information and I have no information about them. I would rate them a ZERO.

Original review: Feb. 29, 2020

I had fraudulent charges on one of my credit cards, so I decided to use cash or personal checks as much as possible. On Feb. 26, 2020 I wrote a personal check for $66.50 for food at a Kroger store. The transaction was denied. I have been shopping at this particular store for 20 years. I went to the bank and there was no problem with my account. I called Certegy at the number provided on my receipt. Got an automated system that said use another method of payment. Could never reach a menu to talk to a live person. I also tried their website and go the same runaround. (No live people). They made it sound like it was a problem with the store.

Went to customer service at the same Kroger. They tried to run the same check and also a blank check. Both were declined. Service rep shrugged her shoulders and said maybe the system was down. Offered no other assistance. Sounds like I may have to wait 30 days to see if the problem is resolved, according to other reviews I have been reading. Thanks Kroger for all the help. I will no longer be shopping at your stores. I do not think management realizes consumers have a choice of where they purchase items. I suggest you quit using Certegy, their reviews, and services, are awful. I have the Kroger receipt for contact info for Certegy but do not have tie technology or knowledge of how to download it.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

I went to my local Walmart to cash a check from a well-known Business on 03/2019 it was denied. I also went to my local Walmart on 02/06/2020 to cash a check from a well-known Business and it was denied. This was humiliating, embarrassing to say the least while about 10-customers were standing in line behind me. I am a law-abiding citizen but this made me feel as if I were a criminal. I watched other citizens cash there checks with no problems. I need to do some shopping for items while at Walmart along with getting my prescription filled and paid for, but that didn't happen thanks to Certegy Check Services. I was pissed so I called the 800 number on the receipt and ordered my report.

I received it yesterday, and there was nothing negative listed, actually nothing at all. I have researched and investigated Certegy Check Services. Wow at the complaints I have found similar to mine and everyone else who complained on Consumer Affair Website. I am a Pro Se Attorney which means I am not a licensed Attorney. It just means I can represent myself in Court as anyone else can, but you have to abide by the same rules of civil procedure as any Licensed Attorney in Federal Court or State Court. I have sued debt collectors for robocalling my cellphone for the wrong person. And I have sued other Businesses for violations under consumer protection laws. It looks as if I will be suing Certegy next. I work with a network of Attorneys in several states most of them practice in the field of Class Actions.

I may reach out to one of them concerning this matter. Walmart and other Businesses should be just as responsible for using this Business. If you advertise check cashing services but fail or denied a check to be cashed by a law-abiding citizen then you're just as guilty. I would suggest these Businesses use a different third party besides Certegy. It is also worth noting that the FTC sued Certegy back in 2013 in which Certegy settled for $3.5 millions.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2020

On Jan. 3 I wrote a check for $19.95 to Penney’s for a purchase. On Jan 10 I wrote a check to Kroger that was declined. When I finally talked to a real person I was informed that the check I wrote on Jan 3 was returned and not paid by my bank. I promptly called my bank and learned that my check had never been presented for payment on my account nor had it ever been refused. They keep logs of requests for payment and checks that they decline. I went to Penney’s and asked then to check out the transaction on their end. I was told that “they don’t make mistakes." That because I tried to cheat them out of $19.95 I was now going to have to pay an extra $20 over the $19.95. I went back to my bank to see what they needed to try to clear up this mess. They requested that I get a copy of any documentation they had showing that the check had been presented for payment and returned.

I went back to Penney’s and talked to them again, got a copy of the receipt since that was all they have in store. I went back to my bank and as they are trying to trace the transaction from their end, Penney’s check cleared. It literally popped up on the screen as we were looking at it on the bank’s computer. So after Penney’s presented my check for EFT on the 15th it went right through.

I called Certegy to see when they were going to take my account # off of their decline list and was told that it would take 8-10 business days after Penney’s notified them that my check cleared. So finally by Jan 31, I could use that account again. This company is the cause of 1/2 the cash problems in this country. Had I been a young wife and mother, I would not have been able to use this account for a month. I have talked to several people I know and they would be in serious trouble. They would not be able to feed their families or pay any bills. I seriously feel that they should be as closely regulated as banks are.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

My wife went to Kroger's for weekly groceries. She was told our transaction could not be completed. She called me crying because of the embarrassment. When I called the phone number, I was given no explanation. By the way it was not ISF. What is this company?

Original review: Feb. 14, 2020

My check from the STATE GOVERNMENT was denied at Kroger. No reasoning why. This system is trash and should be out of business., Took it to the handy dandy liquor store down the street since my bank was closed. Shame on this company and anybody affiliated with it. They should be out of business. How are you going to deny a check from the government? What, they don't have enough funds or something????

Original review: Jan. 29, 2020

Certegy is a fraud company - possible bad check. I purchased a Western Union money order with cash from Kroger’s. The next day I no longer needed the money order. Kroger’s customer service informed me that my “check” had been denied. What check???? I gave Kroger’s cash. Nevertheless, I was given my money order back along with an Kroger’s receipt.

Long story short, when I called Certegy Check Services (info on the bottom of receipt) I was asked for the following: My name, SSN, DOB, license number, and, address, and phone number. I asked why? That’s enough of my personal information to commit identity theft, file taxes using my SSN, and who knows what else. I gave none of my information; hung up. There were 183 complaints like mine on Certegy with the Better Business Bureaus (BBB). I now know that Certegy was ordered to pay 3.5 million in 2013 to victims. Certegy collects consumers' personal information and sells that info to other businesses. The Federal Trade Commission is aware. Now the FTC has my complaint too.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2020

Bought a Western Union money order at Smith's and went back to same Smith's and was told they can't cash it and I have to call Certegy. Can't get a straight answer from anyone and now I'm out 250 bucks. What the hell is this mockery!?!?

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

I wrote a check for 56.68 today at a local sporting goods store, only to have the check declined. Code 2. Code 2 means the transaction is outside the parameters of authorization, whatever that jibberish means. Thankfully I had enough cash on me to pay, but it was pretty embarrassing to say the least. I went to my bank to see if there was any problem with my account and was told no and I have ENOUGH money in my account to cover the check. I called the Certegy number, but that was worthless. More jibberish with no specifics. I just hope this is not a trend, as I write a lot of checks and this is the first time in my nearly 67 years on earth I have ever had one declined.

Certegy Company Information