1.13/5
Based on 105 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Bank of America Online Banking

Bank of America has credit cards for a variety of purposes, including travel. Read reviews for Bank of America Travel Rewards to learn about travel rewards.

View More View More

158 Bank of America Online Banking Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 9, 2018

I was a loyal customer for BOA and their mobile application really sucks. I didn’t found a way to setup auto payment or set payment reminders. I would have wasted my time to do research on their stupid mobile application. This has incurred late payment couple of times and I made payment next date after due date. Customer care really don’t care about their customers and they said we cannot waive off. I terminated my account immediately. Even they did not increase my credit limit for being loyal. After terminating I immediately applied in Citibank and I got very high credit line. I will not recommend BoA bank to anyone.

Original review: July 4, 2018

We bought a house in September and at that time I scheduled the mortgage payment of $1,857.980 to go directly at the end of each month (I scheduled it to go out the 29th, and indefinitely “until I stop it”). It was due the first, with about a week grace period. Everything went along swimmingly until I got a call the end of June from the mortgage company. They were telling me they didn’t get the June payment. I owed $47.02 in late fees. I checked, and sure enough, the check didn’t go out. My husband went to the bank and they told him I had logged in and changed it. NO I DIDN’T. In fact, when I went on to see what had happened I couldn’t even FIND where to go change or edit anything. They’ve made it so much more complicated.

Well I quickly scheduled a payment through BillPay. Then that very day a few hours later my husband received a call from the mortgage company telling him the payment was late. When he told the gal his wife had scheduled it, she said, ‘It won’t get here in time to stay off your credit record’. She told us we needed to go create an account on their website and pay directly. So I did that, knowing that since I’d just scheduled the payment with BofA on the 26th to go out the 29th, I could CANCEL it. So I made the payment online with the mortgage company. Then when I logged onto BofA to cancel the payment, it was not doable. They didn’t have a “cancel” or “edit” button on the scheduled payment. I called. The lady told me it was too late. TOO LATE??? She told me I had to call back the next day and put a stop payment. WHAT???

So my husband and I went to the bank the next day and they put a stop payment, but told us to call the mortgage company to let them know. Really?? Well, we called, and the lady at the mortgage company said, “Nope, when we get the check, we’ll process it.” Quite unhappy, but our hands tied, we thought… Well the bank won’t cash it. There’s a stop payment on it. NOPE. WRONG. They cashed it. The mortgage company put it towards JULY. They put the additional $47.02 ‘penalty’ towards “principal” in August. Fearing I had another payment already going out for July I looked it up at BofA. It appears that the next payment goes out 7/27/2018 and will be for August. I THINK all is well. But what a HUGE headache and waste of our time and all because the BANK screwed up our account. (And then lied saying I’d gone in and changed something...).

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: June 5, 2018

Every few months I get an email stating that my debit card "may have" been compromised by an "UNDISCLOSED VENDOR". BULL!!! If chip technology is so secure, and I only use the chip and if a vendor doesn't have chip, I pay cash, then why am I still getting this - and why doesn't Bank of America contact their clients directly, prior to doing this to actually determine if it was compromised and by which vendor. Do you know what a pain in the ** it is to change out my card number with all my online payments - this is beyond ridiculous. I want to know what banking institution this doesn't happen with on a regular basis.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I have only had this new BofA card (Alaskan Airlines) for a few months. I rely on my notifications to pay cards during the month. On this particular card and most, I pay much more than minimum and even will make more than one payment per month. I paid the end of March for my April payment via app. I then did not get a notification until May saying it’s delinquent and my credit line is lowered. Long story short I didn’t get a notice of due (my problem to keep track I know) and then the early payment for April didn’t count as April, but rather a March payment. So bam... 131 point drop of Equifax score. I have been on time and monitor credit closely. Years of on time payments to get my credit up and this is going to screw me. I called BofA and they do not care. Thanks a lot perfect people.

Original review: May 10, 2018

On Saturday 5/5/18 ~9 pm EST: I went online to view my account balances: 1 personal joint; 1 business checking. The business checking showed a balance of $6.14, no pending debits of any sort. I transferred in $171.97 from personal checking to business checking (to serve as origination account for an inter-bank transfer, for a credit card payment). On the following Monday 5/7/18, when Bank of America reconciles weekend transactions, there was an additional account maintenance fee of $14, which was dated 5/1/18, but did not show when I logged on the evening of 5/5/18 as assessed or pending, which would have made the account negative <$7.86> if it had posted as subsequently dated.

The Bank of America CSR and Supervisor defended that the online banking account balance would have shown the correct negative balance online on 5/518; yet when asked could they see when (date & time) I made the transfers between accounts (~9 pm 5/5/18), they both said they could only see the "Posting Date" of 5/7/18. Monday 5/7/18 as all weekend transactions were reconciled, this dated 5/1/18 $14 account maintenance fee presents, and of course is paid before the transfer between banks, causing an NSF charge of $35... I received an email notification of the NSF on Wednesday 5/9/18. Selectively not including the calls made to the other Bank to reconcile this issue. Bank of America did refund the $35 NSF. This issue is the lack of reliability of Online Banking balances and transactions displayed.

Common Sense factor: If anyone was moving money from one account to another, with known planned spend/transfer out intentions to occur immediately afterwards, it would not make sense not to accommodate a known negative balance to add to transferred in monies, to mitigate against failure of the intended spend and purposefully accruing fees of $35, by ignoring an easily reconcilable negative balance of $7 by transferring more money into the account.

My Complaint is: 1) Bank of America should disclose that Online Banking - Account Balances may not reflect all known assessed or pending fee posts/debits, and not to rely on available balances shown as credible references for account spend activities; especially from 6 pm on Friday till after weekend reconciliations begin at 11:59 PM on weekend following Mondays. And advise customers to take screenshots of available balances during weekends to mitigate any dispute reconciliations.

2) Bank of America need be more transparent in displaying transaction (date & time) in addition to debit posting (date and time). Considering the CSR and Manager I spoke with could not see I made my transfer on Sat. 5/5/18, only when it posted on 5/7/18; then how can they confidently say a fee dated for 5/1/18 had actually also posted at that time? Rhetorical question, used to illustrate the gaps in between a transaction date, and a posting date can be manipulated to advantage/disadvantage.

3) Bank of America when allocating monies for debits and fees, subtracting fees first (e.g. monthly account maintenance) knowingly then causing additional NSF charges is manipulating the order of payments to increase profitability by favorably setting sequence of transaction such that it maximizes the opportunity to assess fees, which are pure profits.

I understand I should have and will establish overdrafts protections, and should also leave more buffers in accounts to mitigate against these events. That being said and known, does not negate from the complaint that Bank of America - Online Banking balances should be Real-Time accurate 24x7x365/366 without the need to take screenshots intra-weekends to dispute weekend lags in presenting accurate account balances and transactions posted, pending and declined.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bank of America?

Original review: May 3, 2018

B of A had THE best program for Bill Paying. I recommended them to my clients and friends and it's the main reason I kept banking with them. So naturally their programmers had to justify their pay and totally screw it up. Now I cannot do the simplest action without wasting 10 or 20 minutes trying to find when anything might be. And I have a super high IQ, a Master degree and a lot of experience with computers and accounting. Went from the best to the worst. Ever heard of "If it ain't broke don't fix it"?

Original review: April 16, 2018

Came as quite a shock that BOA froze our account. Unable to pay bills, process checks, take out cash that is legally ours. We have over $100K in checking and deposit and they put a freeze on us. Something about our Mother-in-law who was on the account many years ago had to contact the bank. She is 80 years of age and in poor health and did not know what she was calling about. I could not tell her either as the bank would not tell me. She called as per instructions and they said they could not do anything with her on the phone and told her to go to a local branch.

She is recovering from a broken back and had to drive 40 miles, I still do not know if she arrived at the bank. My wife leaves town tonight and of course cannot access any money, which is legally ours. Shame on you Bank of America and I truly look forward to closing my account after many, many years. Customer Service was awful and they truly did not care if we closed our account or not. I called back to speak to a manager but of course they do not have any managers available although one will get back to me in 24/48 hours. Shameful.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I has been an e-banking customer for over six years. Bank of America recently changed their e-banking accounts to Core Banking. A notice of this change was included statement and an email was sent out after this change is in effect. I discovered the $12 monthly charge after I signed in three months after the change. As a e-banking customer, I usually only read the statement when I've some deposit or withdraw during the previous month.

So the paper route: I called customer service to see if they can waive the fees and they told me different stories, one said I have an address change before the letter sent out; there was a letter sent out to my physically address... As I finally talked to a branch manager, she told me there was no physical letter that sent out. The bank and changed the terms of the account from minimum balance of $100 to $1,500 and there is not ONE SINGLE PHYSICAL letter sending out or confirming their customer has received the notice in some other way?

Original review: April 12, 2018

When BoA adjusts a deposit, it would be nice to see the details of the deposit (the checks, in particular, to determine WHAT was overstated, understated or missed, altogether). Why is it that the deposits they adjust say "Images of your deposit slip and checks are not currently available for this deposit. If you have questions, please contact customer service" instead of showing the information. If a deposit is incorrect, that's when I absolutely need to see the data. Idiots at BoA are... well... IDIOTS.

Original review: April 12, 2018

Bank of America has no chat, no email support anymore and they won't mail SafePass cards and debit credit cards abroad and they call themselves international bank!? Ridiculous. They are RED COMMUNIST bank!

Original review: April 10, 2018

Bank of America used to be fairly decent for a huge, impersonal organization. Decent products; okay service. I was happy. Recently, Bank of America added something called Erica to its mobile app. Erica is immortal. There is no way to get her off of your screen. I spent two hours trying to get rid of this, and couldn't. I finally got through to customer service and was told that I'd just wasted all of that time, and that Erica was going to bother me forever. "Just drag her to another part of the screen when she gets in the way." Why must I do that? I will never use this. I can wipe away dirt and bacteria, but nothing can rid me of this splotch on my screen. It hogs real estate for no purpose other than to annoy me. I think the only option is to not upgrade, ever, or use another banking institution.

Original review: March 26, 2018

Transfer money & bill pay: This my money, I give to BOA for them earn money on all the interest etc. How dare they threaten to charge me! Guess they do not believe in Customer Care! Next I want to pay my bills and that file has changed. Now bland! No definitions! One looks like the other. There has been a while where I considered leaving. Even if I do they will not care! They only want money.

Original review: March 15, 2018

Is anyone else having this problem??? I have a small business that accepts payments through PayPal. Every night, my balance is swept from PayPal to my BofA account. Normally, deposits flow in like clockwork and appear in my bank account overnight, but from time to time, they just don't. My one-day turnaround can turn into 3 or 5 or 7. I don't normally keep a very large balance in this account because it is strictly for paying business expenses. So if a deposit doesn't hit the bank account and a bill gets paid, I overdraft and get charged a $35.00 fee. Last week this happened, but I never received my overdraft notice until 3 DAYS LATER!! They refunded me the $35 charge, and - as always - blamed it on PayPal. PayPal blames it on BofA because they provide me with a transfer transaction ID number and record of the transfer as soon as it is processed.

In an effort to prove BofA is doing this on purpose, I have begun processing a partial payment to my operating account and the rest to my savings account. And last night, it happened again. The larger deposit to operating did not go into the account, yet the smaller one to the savings account did. Overnight processing is supposed to mean OVERNIGHT!! Not 2-7 days later! Someday, someone is going to file a class action lawsuit when they discover BofA is doing this on purpose so they can collect overdraft fees from their account owners (kinda like Wells Fargo's fake account problems) and they are going to get stuck big time! And I will be second in line... All because their customer service people refuse to even entertain the idea that there is something (accidentally or on purpose) glitching in their system.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Bank of America screws up my account every month. It is easier to get someone at the White House than to get a live BOA representative in the phone. Everyone in my family is locked out of their on-line account. I understand security, but this is ridiculous. I am moving all of my accounts to another bank.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I used the mobile app several times to dep my paycheck and this last time they had said that it was fraud check and could not be read. If I had not contacted them I would have never know this. They were sending me a damn letter of all things and I call my employer and they are pissed. It is not a fraud check. So I am sitting here no Bank of America within a 2 hours of me and no gas to get me there because the mobile app is screwed up so bad that it could not read my check. Monday morning going to a different bank. Bank of America can go to hell.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I was calling to close my BOA Amtrak card a few weeks back and was offered to switch to BOA Cash Back card with the same acct number. So that's good... However, I did not finish the conversion on that call but called again today - the agent who received the call today said she has no idea that can be done at all. So hilarious and so poor a training quality of BOA customer service. No wonder why I am seeing so many 1 star reviews.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

Let me first say that the customer service representatives I have spoken to at Bank of America were all friendly and willing to help. That is the reason I gave this bank one star. Their wacky billing practices are the reason I can give them no more. I started using a cash rewards card a little over a year ago, and I have had nothing but problems with it. My intent was to use it for my monthly purchases in order to get the cash rewards then to pay off the entire balance every month so no interest would accrue. I can only conclude that Bank of America does NOT want anyone to avoid interest charges. I think they must COUNT ON interest charges because they made it practically impossible for me to manage my card payments. I noticed right away that there was no option to pay the entire balance when setting up an automatic payment. I called and was told I had to request that kind of payment by direct mail with a special form.

They sent it to me, and I could not make heads or tails of it. I was honestly afraid to sign it because of all the stipulations. So, I tried to set up an automatic payment system online. The date they chose was purposefully one day AFTER my bill was due. I couldn't change it. The rep on the phone assured me it was the correct date even though I was looking right at the letter that had come with my card that said otherwise. I went ahead and set it up to pay the minimum fearful that at some point I would meet with unexpected medical bills. If I had the money, I would get online and pay the balance before the day it was due. I have another credit card from another company, and if I make an early payment, it automatically cancels the auto payment scheduled for that month. Bank of America DOES NO SUCH THING.

If you make a payment in advance, you will also be billed again even if that means they have to give you a negative balance on your account. I had to monitor my account constantly in order to understand whether my balance was in the red or the black. I tried paying by phone, once with the automated teller and once with a live person. It didn't work either time. What I mean is, I paid my bill then in the next day or so, the exact same amount was automatically withdrawn from my bank account. When I called, frantic to get refunded, they told me I would have to wait at least three days to make sure the overbilling had cleared before they could refund me. WHAT?! When it was all said and done, this happened three times. Three times I tried to pay my bill, and three times the amount was withdrawn from my bank account twice.

I have canceled the card only to find out that it isn't really "closed." The last and final balance that I paid was, once again, withdrawn from my bank account twice! I called AGAIN to get a refund. This time I was told that if I really wanted to deactivate my account I had to call a separate number. The service rep had me on hold for several minutes only to apologize that the office where they cancel cards was closed and that she couldn't give me that number anyway. I would have to call back and go through the automatic teller menu again.

I asked if she thought I should maybe wait until I was sure the refund was credited to my bank account, and as serious as can be she said, yes! She said she thought I should wait to cancel the card to make sure I got my money first. Unbelievable. The bottom line is, Bank of America does not want you to be a responsible payer. Their billing system is rigged to cheat you. It is a dirty, underhanded way to do business, and I can't wait to be rid of them once and for all. Unfortunately, I fear my trouble with them is not over. I will have a chilling dread of being billed at the middle of the month for a card that no longer exists at least until spring.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

My daughter deposit a check on mobile. She only 19 first time. They told her, her check would not clear after 15 days or so. She needed money to go to work and light bill was due that day. They said it was nothing they could do about the money being released early. So she asked what if showcased it. They said they charged her a 12 dollar fee because they would return check back. This did not happening checkered it. She called about 5 times in they said they would take it off in 3 to 5 business days and return the money. Then she called back because the money was still there. Then she was told they should never told her that and they don't return money back in go to the place she cash it and give them the money back. I tell them it was Bank of America fault. What kind of business is this. I feel it’s a set up.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

I was open account online was they approve, I was got few debit card in the mail, I was trying activated. The screen say account is canceled, I was called to BOA. Vanessa who have a Indi accent told me, "We refuse anyone" if we want close account without notice. Feeling like I am garbage or not welcome to this bank, she never told me why or any eloquent, professional or lie excuse. DON'T OPEN business, close your business with this bank.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

So when I started a bank account with this bank on March I was having great experience. The people were nice and helpful. But the online banking been pissing me off lately. So I needed food at my house and had 24.68 in my checking. I had spent 25 thinking I could transfer the .22 from my saving to checking. It was 6:00 pm and for some damn reason it kept putting it that I couldn't transfer money till tomorrow. They did this on Veterans' Day as well but I let it go figuring it wasn't working for the holiday. So I had .30 in a schedule for it to transfer in the morning. However when I checked my account this morning they took out 12.00 out my savings from overdraft protection, and it says that it happened yesterday. I kept checking my account waiting for some money from eBay for refund and I didn't even see a overdraft protection on that day. Lately transferring money has been garbage. I really need to change banks.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I opened an account online with B of A and apparently was approved because I received a debit card, later a pin number and checks. I deposited a check from my current bank and waited a sufficient amount of time for it to post. I then went to the B of A ATM to change the pin number and make a withdrawal, but was denied. I decided to wait another day or two thinking more time was needed for the check to clear. Two days later, I receive a letter from B of A citing suspicious activity with the account and it instructed me to call their CSR to clear it up.

I called and they informed me they are no longer interested in a financial relationship with me and that they don't have to give me a reason. I asked about my deposited check and at first the woman said nothing showed, but then she 'checked somewhere else' and it showed pending and when I asked when I would get it back I was told 6-8 weeks. So far, the only 'financial relationship' I have had with B of A is me giving them money and them saying a proverbial "psyche!". Something is not right about this setup and they should not be allowed to continue such practices. I am going to throw a proverbial "rod" if I get charged for ANYTHING.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I wish I could give a negative review to fully capture my frustration with this utterly ** bank. Eight days ago, I had a check sent to my parent's house as I was in the process of moving. He cashed it in person. For this BoA charged me $8.95 for a monthly maintenance fee. I thought this was cynical, underhanded and adversarial, but, in fairness, I agreed to them being stingy ** and never using teller banking, so technically they could charge me. That is the most generous thing I can say about them. What follows was a ** show.

I get an email saying that I was hit with both overdraft protection and an actual overdraft protection fee, for $35 and $15 respectively. I thought this was strange as my Dad had just deposited some checks on my behalf worth almost $1000. I look to see that there had been a debit, with no details as to why or from whom, for $660. I call them up and ask them to explain. One of the checks was being held because it had been flagged for an error. "What error?" "I don't know. They don't know. They should let you know by next week." "I need to wait a *week*? I'm not waiting that long." "I can put in a special request and have it sped up to three days".

I call up my Dad and tell him the situation and say "I need to make a rent payment here, Can you send me some money so I can pay them now?" He has a different bank, so they had to do a test credit. Bank of America sends the test credit back, which triggered an automatic feature to pull yet more money from my savings account, and charged me $12 for it. The test credits were for a total of $0.38. They charged me money just to see if I could money in my account electronically. They then did this *again* when they added back the check and then immediately debited it again! Just so they could charge me the fees! I literally did nothing to warrant that.

To top it off, when the transaction cleared my Dad's bank, BoA had *no idea* where my transaction was. It's just sitting in limbo. I had to manually enter cash into a BoA account so these stupid Overdraft protection fees would end. ** this bank. ** their useless twitter account. ** the customer rep that told me *explicitly* that I would not receive any more Overdraft related accounts. I wish I could give them a negative ** review, and then keep double counting it every time they viewed it just to see what epic ** trolls they are. Looking for a new bank ASAP.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

I have been a BofA customer for more than 40 yrs. and have a credit score over 800. I have discovered that BofA seems to have a predatory program associated with their online software that locks people out of their accounts just before a payment due date. This has happened to me frequently in the past if I established a pattern of paying online by transfer from another bank.

If they can delay your ability to pay by regular online transfer just before your due date, you will be charged a late fee, or at least be made to call in a payment for another added fee, usually about half the price of the late fee. They use the excuse that you have attempted to sign in numerous times without success, so this has forced them to lock your account. The problem with this is that you can avoid signing in totally and they will still send you an email saying you have been trying unsuccessfully (exceeded the number of allowed attempts) to access your account. Several year ago I went to my local BofA branch and told them of this pattern and also told them I would not use my online account anymore, and they should please close it out.

I thought they might have changed their practices by now and re-enrolled in online access about 18 months ago. This access was without incident till recently, when the entire scenario has repeated. At this point I have decided to simply make payments in person, rely on my printed statements for balance info, and ignore their online scamming.Their predatory software is likely not even recognized by most of their employees, who assume you are actually not able to remember or input your username or password accurately. I'm not a fan of this company and if it were not for the high limit and low APR I have established in 40yrs., I would close my BofA Visa account and never look back. I'm just writing this review to alert others to this scam.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

Bank of America continues to commit fraud in my eyes by charging over draft fees when there shouldn't be. In my case, I checked my account at 11:59 pm and then again at 12:01 am. The lady in the office told me the check came in on the 30th, the woman on phone said it posted after midnight on the 31, but came in on the 30, so I was charged a $35 NSF. This is fraud in my eyes. They never showed a post on the 30th for a check until the 31st after they charged their fee. The alert that I am supposed to get to warn in time, so I don't get a fee I got on the 31st at 1:44 pm. Did they refund the fee? Heck no.

They told me it was my fault that they are frauds even though they have been found guilty and sued for this before and that they have been known to move your transactions around so that you will incur fees and plenty of them. I saw a women's post about this, and I have seen them do this on occasion myself but have been lucky enough to deposit money into my account. I will say this, I am sick of BOA. I will be finding me a friendly Credit Union to put my money and retirement funds in, and all other investments. It may not happen today, but it will happen. They just lost a 20-year customer. I am done baked fried over the bull crap.

Original review: June 11, 2017

I will try to keep this as brief as possible. Upfront, I want to explain a bit about me. I have always had very good credit. I also always pay more than twice the minimum payment every month on my credit cards. My BoA credit card is no different. This month, however, we have been abnormally strained financially. First and foremost, my husband and I recently bought our first house. I have also started a new business venture which, while requiring some start up money, is slowly starting to pay off. And, most recently, I had to be out of town for a week. My entire family gathered in St. Augustine to attend a funeral in honor of my late grandmother and, seeing as we were all there already, we collectively decided to indulged in an overdue reunion on the beach.

Point is, as you might imagine, this has not my average month. Money has certainly been needed in a variety of places all at the same time. And, while I own the responsibility of the debts I have accrued (and have every intention of paying them off responsibly), I am currently over my limit on my BoA credit card. I will only add that this card was not declined, though, whenever I tried to used it. Anyway, one evening while I was out of town in St. Augustine, I got to fearing that my BoA credit card payment might not get paid on time. You see, until this month, I'd been paying my card through a bill pay option through my checking account with Ameris Bank.

I knew that option took a few days to get processed though and, looking at the calendar, I wasn't sure it would go through fast enough for BoA not to charge me a late fee. Thus, that night, I chose to try to pay my BoA monthly bill through their webpage first. From what I could tell, though, the BoA website payment didn't appear to go through. I received no confirmation of my payment. I left that attempt rather confused about what I might have done wrong. Then, I remembered that I'd installed the BoA app on my phone and I suddenly had the "not so bright" idea that I should try to use it. When I tried to pay, though, it kept asking me for verification that my account was actually my account. I didn't know where I would find the information the app wanted.

So, I ended up calling BoA credit card's helpline and opting to pay $150 towards my card while speaking with a live person. I wanted to make sure that it was done right, that I wasn't going to be charged multiple times because I was confused about how to pay electronically, and that it would all get paid on time. I spoke with a customer service rep from there and left that conversation believing that the matter was resolved. She processed my payment over the phone and assured me that no other charges were showing up in her system.

A couple of days later, still on vacation, I checked my private checking account's balance and was shocked to see that I had been charged $150 THREE TIMES. This left me overdrawn and because I was overdrawn, I also accrued two overdraft fees from my bank, totaling $70. Obviously, I immediately called BoA to get the other two $150 payments refunded. The woman I spoke to tried to help, saying she understood my frustration about all this but, she then told me that she couldn't refund the $300 that BoA had basically stolen because I had been over my limit when BoA accepted that payment. This made no sense to me. I tried to explain that, I didn't have to pay even the whole $150 I intended to pay to remain in good standing with BoA. I drew her attention to the fact that I HAD CALLED to make sure that my monthly payment did not have this problem.

I told her that it had caused me to be quite overdrawn at my bank. She apologized for the hassle and agreed that the fault was with BoA. She said, however, that the best she could do is try to explain to the powers that be why they should refund the money and that that process could take 2 to 6 business days. I waited. Tonight I called to find out the status of these refunds so I could tell my bank when the funds would arrive. I was furious when I was told that my request for a refund had been denied AGAIN due to the fact that I had been over my limit at the time I unwittingly paid $450 instead of my usual $150. I have since asked the latest customer service rep to resubmit the request. It really is all I can do at this point.

God knows how I will pay even my minimum payment next month seeing as I will have to somehow absorb a total of $370 (including my bank's overdraft charges) that I had not intended on paying if this doesn't get resolved. For some, $370 is nothing but it sure is for me and my family just now. One thing is certain, though. If this does not get resolved, I will pay my card off as quickly as I can and then cut it up. They will not see another penny's worth of a charge on that card when I'm able to use it again. I simply refuse to be a passive long term customer of a bank that treats consumers this way. And you best believe I will warn others against ever trusting their finances to BoA.

Original review: June 6, 2017

I am totally fed up with Bank of America and how they completely rip people off and how customers are tired of getting money taken out of their accounts. Bank of America has the online and mobile banking. Now as a customer you would think that since they have two ways to check your account they both would be accurate with each other. Well, no. This is one of the way Bank of America justifies stealing our money. You see, I was in the positive until Bank of America did the little shuffle that they do and moved things around to say I was over this way. They could charge me 35.00 twice. Well of course, now I'm over yet they charged me for thing that are still processing which that's not legal dice.

They haven't been presented for payment yet but Bank of America tells me I need to look at online banking because it shows I was actually over yet mobile banking shows I'm in the positive until Bank of America took the 35.09 out twice totaling 70.00. So yeah, now I'm over. Now as a consumer I believe these two sites should show the same as either one but they don't. Once again, BofA rips us off, criminals.

Original review: May 24, 2017

I will try and keep this short and to the point. I want to start by stating that I am in the hospital, been here 2 weeks and will be here for another month. So yesterday I made the mistake of depositing my check via mobile app. Now before I did this I called and asked if and how much of my funds would be available. I was told all of it. Now I can't leave this room. I'm confined here, so I check my account and no money is made available. So in the fine print it says a deposit has been made but that part of it will be held. Ok whatever I could live with that. So I call to make sure and the two says that after midnight my money or part of it will be made available.

This is a payroll check for a movie theater franchise in Westwood CA, so they are extremely wealthy. So the next day comes and no money is available and even the fine print has changed to my money won't be available till 10 days from that day. Now I'm freaking out cause I have bills to pay. So I call and was told that because of some policy I have no choice but to wait after I was told 3 times my money will be there. The manager I spoke to said that the company I work for probably won't have the funds to cover the check. There was a number on the check to call and verify which clearly she was too lazy to make an attempt to call. So here I am in this hospital with bills that need to be paid and a live of carp bank that has a hold on my money. The manager wasn't even professional. Well I'm here at the hospital. I have to go. BOFA is a worthless bank.

Original review: May 15, 2017

I was a client of Bank of America from 1980 to 1989 then switched to Wells Fargo and banked with them until 2000, then returned to B of A, a big mistake — both banks! For several years I have had this online banking problem when they do not accept a password I created a week or less ago (their orders) then tell me to create a new password. They don't accept it and "do not (even) recognize" me. My wife and I live in Mexico. (She is from here and I am a US citizen, not Mexican heritage, rather Celtic-Anglo. Perhaps that might help?)

This inability to access my accounts has gotten to the point of writing letters to B of A, since talking to them over the phone is as useful as speaking with their recordings, it has not helped at all rather all to the contrary. The concept they do not seem to understand is that both my wife and I are "equal partners," i.e., one and the same, in our banking with B of A ergo our online site should be "equally accessible," but now it is not accessible to either of us. That is, why do they tell me to change my online ID then ask for my wife's online ID and password (the latter is the same!) then do not accept it — or mine or the number codes they offer, blocking us (punishment for Mexico or Mexicans?). So we must "call the bank" for the millionth time.

When I call the bank on the phone "using the appropriate telephone number" it turns out to be a very frustrating and angry experience. They trust you "as far as they can throw you." That is, B of A's extreme paranoia or kid games does not speak well of the management and administration. I identify myself yet they have no record of a debit card from them that I use daily nor my 17 year old account number. My wife's card and soc. sec. number works, however mine don't, when trying to speak to a real, live "human."

We solve the problem and for a couple or three days are able to access online banking, make transfers avoiding possible overdraft protection fees. They do not like that nor do they like transfers between accounts, especially savings accounts to checking accounts. B of A transmogrifies your savings account to another checking account. Perhaps transfers are inconvenient or beyond their ken?

Original review: May 10, 2017

I have been a Bank of America customer for 12 years. Recently, I refinanced my car loan through bank of America. I made several payments online; however they never went through even though I had confirmation numbers. When I called them on this, I filed a claim which will take 45 days. In the meantime my loan payment is in arrears thus negatively affecting my credit score. I refuse to pay another cent to this loan because it is their error. I guess the car will be repossessed thus hurting my credit further. Is there any recourse for consumers to use in these cases??? It appears the bank is always right???

Original review: May 1, 2017

Used transfer on mobile app to anther BofA customer. Money did not go to sender even though all info correct. Call bank and they put on hamster transfer wheel. Poor customer service and no person to follow through to resolution. Planning to close most account with bank soon. ** and con artist.

Bank of America Online Banking Company Information