About Bankrate

Bankrate is an online financial publisher and comparison website that provides informative resources, calculators and other money management tools. The platform covers topics related to mortgages, insurance, credit cards, retirement and more for over 10 million users. You can create a free account to access all its features, including credit score checks, budgeting tools and a tailored dashboard feed.

Pros

• Free financial management tools
  • Dozens of calculators
  • Daily mortgage comparisons
  • Educational content

Cons

• Not a lender or broker
  • No face-to-face customer service

Bottom Line

Bankrate offers free comparison tools as well as various financial management resources, including calculators and informational articles. It lists information about lenders, insurers, banks and other financial institutions.

What is Bankrate?

Bankrate is an online publisher that compares personal loan and mortgage lenders, credit card companies, insurers, banks and other financial institutions. It also provides free money management resources and online calculators. A Bankrate account provides access to all its features; your private information is secured using 256-bit encryption and is not shared without permission.

Bankrate is free to use and earns money through advertisers. The company may be compensated for sponsored placements and web traffic, which may impact the order and presentation of products in its listings. According to Bankrate, advertising does not impact its reviews, recommendations or advice, and the company maintains editorial independence.

Bankrate personal finance tools

After creating a free account, users can link their bank, credit card and loan accounts to Bankrate and receive personal financial tools. Its new myMoney feature offers insights based on tracked financial transactions. These insights can help you set spending goals and analyze debt, and they’re free to all users who provide an email and link their financial accounts to their profile.

Bankrate mortgages

Bankrate has a multitude of resources available. Its comparison tool shows the day’s mortgage rates from multiple lenders based on factors such as ZIP code, down payment and purchase price. Users also have access to dozens of mortgage calculators that can account for taxes and insurance, calculate loan payments and even estimate the cost of remodeling your carpet. As a financial publisher, Bankrate has a team of editors and reporters who identify mortgage trends, conduct analyses, make forecasts and write articles explaining mortgage basics.

Bankrate FAQ

Is Bankrate free?
Bankrate is a free service and makes money through advertising. Without an account, you can access its calculators, mortgage rate comparisons, assessments, courses, articles and other services. Users with accounts can link bank and credit card accounts to get the full extent of Bankrate’s services.
Is Bankrate a legit company?
Bankrate has existed since 1976 as a financial publisher, and now it offers financial comparison tools. User information is protected using 256-bit encryption; Bankrate will only release private information to companies with a user’s permission. It does not run hard credit checks or require a Social Security number to get a quote.
Where is Bankrate located?
Bankrate is an online company based out of the Miami metropolitan area. Its services are entirely online.

Do we recommend Bankrate?

Yes. Bankrate offers free financial resources and is a good place to start if you’re interested in taking out a mortgage or personal loan, comparing credit card companies or banks or improving your money management skills. The website offers its full suite of services and resources to anyone who creates an account.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bankrate?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bankrate?

Original review: Sept. 9, 2022

The company sells your information to other loan brokers, my phone hasn't stopped ringing every few minutes for a week no (no exaggeration). Needless to say we did not go with anyone referred by this data selling company. Abusive and reckless data privacy practices.

Get buying tips about Mortgage Lenders delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2022

I've been interested in CDs and have been looking online for high APYs and good terms and I found bankrate.com. This site claims to find you the best online CD rates nationwide. What they mean is they give you the highest rates from the few sponsors bankrate.com has, not the highest rates from banks nationwide as this site leads you to believe. This site is still a good resource and most people are trained to seek out more than one source of information.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

I was interested in doing a re-fi, and selected Bankrate to match me to the best rates. No sooner did I click the button, and I had 3 calls within a minute. Then the emails started. Had I known that sales people would immediately started inundation, I wouldn't have moved forward. I had 7 calls from 1 company in 4 hours, and they CONTINUE to call me to this day. I submitted the request almost a month ago. Massive text campaign also. Beware, either prepare yourself to be I immediately called by numerous people, or pick something else. It made my experience with Bankrate untenable.

Bankrate Company Information