1.05/5
  • 1 star
Based on 31 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

American Education Services

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 10, 2018

246 American Education Services Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Almost $12k in student loan payments and have never been late. A whopping $6k goes into interest and only $6k into principal. This company, part on PNC Bank should be investigated so get on the phone and call your state reps. who most likely are in bed with these thieves. Stay away from American Education Services based in Harrisburg, PA and find other lenders. Horrible service dept. and I can't imagine how people would be working at this fraud factory.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

These folks are absolute crooks of the highest order. They continually up your interest rate. When you contact them to ask a question, you get more runaround than any government agency in North Korea! The interest rate while showing an extremely high 7% calculates at about 50%.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

If I could give them NO stars I definitely would. They've lost my paperwork to defer my loans 2x. I assumed they were deferred the first time, checked and they did not get my paperwork. Sick of them and their horrible customer service, I sent a request to consolidate to Navient. 2 days later, they reported my loans being 90 days default. I know this was done as retaliation. My FICO score dropped WAY below that what it ever has been. Screw them. Something needs to done about them. There needs to be a class action filed ASAP.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

DO NOT TAKE OUT STUDENT LOANS WITH THIS COMPANY. I took out a Spousal Consolidation Loan with this company in 2000. I have been paying on this loan for 17 years now and have only paid down my principal $3500!! I've paid $54,000 IN INTEREST on a $46,000 loan. When I asked them about debt forgiveness, they told me my loan didn't qualify for it and I'd have to take out a different loan to pay off the existing loan and then make 10 MORE years of payments.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

On October 11th I received a letter stating they had sold my loan Reliamax. When I logged on all billing options had been removed and I could not see if my previously scheduled auto payment had been canceled nor could I cancel it. But sure enough AES took the money anyway on October 30th and once I contacted them they gave me the runaround and said no they would not refund the money but simply forward it to Reliamax. No care in the world that I am short 200 dollars now of money that was not budgeted to spend. I ended up having to submit a fraud charge through my bank to get the money back.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Education Services?

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I received a student loan from AES 10 years ago. I've maintained appropriate payments, with never a delinquency to the account. Two weeks ago I contacted AES by phone to ask if the co-signer could be removed. They said it would be a six month process, and at that time I told the agent I would go ahead and initiate transferring the balance to another institution. The next day AES blocked access to my account summary online, and five days later the loan was sold off to another lender (ReliaMax) without telling me (I have trouble believing this timing is coincidence). Now the transfer payments I initiated have conveniently been lost in cyberspace. The transferring institution says they sent the funds, and the funds were received by AES. AES claims they never received the funds, and so now I have an extra open account.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I have three student loans with AES for my sons. For each loan, AES has consistently and systematically raised the interest rates on each. Listed below are the dates for the last 5 interest rate hikes AES has imposed: 10/4/2016, 12/31/2016, 4/4/2017, 7/5/2017, 9/30/2017. To make matters worse, there's never any explanation as to why the interest rate has increased. I'm going to refinance these loans with another loan servicer and leave this SHAM lender alone!!!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

This company is the hardest to work with in managing loans. 1) Removing a co-signer is impossible unless you pay off your loan or consolidate it elsewhere. After 7 years on auto-pay with no late payments does not count. They will not remove a name off the loan. 2) Communication is slow. You have to wait 48 hours before getting a response to a question. Most of the time they aren't even answering your question and giving you the runaround. Do you not have documentation of previous communications with your customers? 3) I manage my husband's loans. I am an authorized user. The fact that I called in to check on the loans which I am paying automatically caused them to block the account. Honestly, if someone wants to hack our loans and pay for it, go ahead! In the event you need a loan in the future, do not go with this company. Navient, SoFi, your bank, etc. are better options.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

This company is a JOKE! I am in school part-time, trying to finish my dissertation and EVERY semester they try and say I am delinquent on my loan with them. I send them the info they need and the university does the same but they STILL do this. I FINALLY got the Chancellor’s office to handle it and now, I am only delinquent when the semester ends and before it begins. They are a joke!!!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

I sent them my forbearance application, along with the requested documents (EDD Letter and Job Exit Letter because my position ended at the end of the school year); however, they were the only lender out of 3, that said this wasn't sufficient information for proof of unemployment. I sent them an email asking to resolve this issue...

IF YOU HAVE AN ISSUE WITH AES, REPORT THEM TO THE Federal Student Aid Ombudsman Group https://studentaid. ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/disputes/prepare/contact-ombudsman. They handle all of the complaints about federal loans with lenders. These are the complaints they handle: If you have an issue with improperly posted payments, you must contact your loan servicer and attempt to resolve the issue by providing evidence. If your loan is in default but you believe it should not be, gather proof of payments and contact your loan servicer to address it directly with them. They encourage you to do a ton of work first and explore every possible avenue before contacting them. This can be frustrating, but it is the government we’re talking about! The only loans they can help with are federal loans.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

Be alert. I just got AES to admit they had me paying off someone else's loans!!! First, they will give you the runaround and tell you to contact someone else. Don't fall for it. I may also suggest live chat and demand transcripts of the chat. They will email it to you and then you have proof. It took months and months and notarizing fraud/identity theft paperwork, make several copies, as they intentionally lose it, and having found my original loan promissory notes, and contacting ombudsmen, CFPB, before they would do anything.

They knowingly forcing me to pay loans that are not mine! And now that they admit they are not even my student loans, they refuse to return my money, which legally they have to do. So that's where I'm at with them. Plus they refuse to notify credit bureaus, loan servicer they sold these loans to that they are not mine, and AES refuses to remove my name, or correct NSLD website. These 2 loans, that begin <$7k, and $13k I paid, bal. Is over $20k. FIND THOSE PROMISSORY NOTES FOLKS. And double check those amounts are even your loans.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

Very frustrating dealing with AES! I never do anything like this because I understand that my debts are just that! Mine! My responsibility to pay! Here's the problem! I took out a student loan several years ago. It was 3500 dollar loan! Payments 50 dollars a month for 8 years or less. A few years back some major changes took place and I was in financial distress! I called AES they offered forbearance! They were very nice. They always have been. However a few months later I get a nasty letter telling me my loan is going to default. When I called I was told there was no record of my loan ever being in forbearance. But that I could bring it current and then request forbearance again! It was hard but I did it. When I called back I was told that I couldn't request forbearance if I wasn't behind on payments! GEEZ REALLY! This went on off and on for a while.

Well a year ago I was told that I qualified for an income based repayment plan. I'm single with children! I thought great I was so relieved. I gave them everything they asked for and I was told based on my information my payments were 0. This would be good for a year but if my situation changed to let them know. I happily agreed! Several months later I get another nasty letter my loan is defaulting. When I called I was told they could see the request but had never gotten what they needed to process it and now there's nothing I can do. They seem to have a problem holding on to things. I have paid back around 4500 dollars and they say I still owe 2800 dollars!!! It was only 3500 dollar loan. I guess they are either going to garnish my pay or take my tax refund in January! It seems like there should be something we could do about this. It isn't right and they shouldn't get so much money. It's like they are just legally stealing money from people!

Original review: July 18, 2017

When I first started paying on my student loans I assumed payments were being applied as directed; I was completely wrong! Please make sure you check on any payment you send to your student loan. I have tried to send an extra payment on a monthly basis to try to pay off my debt, and after countless calls and speaking to managers I have come to accept I have to check on my loan minimum twice a month. The problems have ranged from my extra payments not being applied AT ALL (in which case I have to send bank statements and copy of check) to my account being placed on "Paid Ahead" status as it continues to accumulate interest. If you check the website, it states you can target specific loans online, which is completely false.

Every manager I speak to gives me a different reason for my payment being applied as they see fit, versus how I am asking for my payment to be applied. Reasons range from putting a cap on how much you can pay towards a subsidized loan to a letter being mailed with the check with "EXACT WORDING." In one of my previous calls, I had to have the manager dictate the letter I needed to write, which I send out with my check on a monthly basis. Of course this has done nothing to the way my payment is applied, as now they tell me letters are thrown away once the check is received and the person receiving the check is not the one to apply the payment.

Now, along with the letter stapled to the check, I have to write 3 things on the memo field of the check, "DO NOT PLACE MY ACCOUNT ON PAID AHEAD STATUS", the loan number I want to target, and my account number. You would assume with all this information I would not have a problem; however, you are wrong again! My payment is still not applied to the account stated, I have to spend a minimum of 15 minutes on the phone verifying all my contact information and getting pass the automated service explaining how I have to call EVERY single month, and I have to wait 7-10 business days before my payment is reapplied. In some cases, this does not happen and I need to call again, in others, I have to submit yet another letter asking them to reapply my payment. I sure wish I had looked at my loans closely for the first 5 years of payments; or that I had the money to pay them off once and for all!

Original review: July 16, 2017

I have received 6 letters in the mail, and an email claiming and I owe them money for my graduate school loan. All my loans are with Navient, and they have no record of transferring any of my accounts to another lender. The department of education also has no record of me having any loans with them. What they are doing is fraud and harassment.

Original review: July 14, 2017

I borrowed $25K in student loans, which were sold/consolidated with AES. This was the biggest mistake of my life. I would have been better off with a loan shark. I have paid over $28K in loan payments but still owe $20K. That means $5K went toward principal and $23K went to interest and fees. I have tried get assistance with to no avail. Their only response is to pay more than my scheduled payment.

Original review: July 13, 2017

If you are co-signing for a student loan, DO NOT USE A.E.S. unless you want to be on the hook as a co-signer indefinitely, get different answers from different people on how to be removed as a co-signer, have poor communication about it, and be denied numerous times for different ridiculous reasons. I have tried 4 times without "success" to be removed. Here I am 6 years into the loan, my daughter making an excellent salary where she can borrow 10x what she owes AES now, and they still won't let me out of being a co-signer. She is about to refinance with another company, so bye-bye AES. They will lose 10s of thousands of $ of future interest payments because of their incompetence in handling my simple, achievable request.

Original review: July 9, 2017

I received a letter that I was going into default. I called and explained I had recently gone through a separation and was a struggling single parent of 2. I couldn't afford my regular day to day bills and couldn't afford the payment. I was told that I could do a voluntary arrangement on top of the 15% garnishment that was being sent to my employer. Well I worked 4 plus years in my current position for state of SC and state rules say you can't maintain job and have a default loan. So now I'm without employment and there is no check to garnish but now my children and I may soon be on the streets.

Original review: June 9, 2017

This company is a joke. They are in this business to make money. They don't care about the borrowers and when you call in to get other payment options they don't exist. I didn't know when I went through PNC Bank for my student loans that I would be dealing with AES or I never would have used them.

Original review: May 31, 2017

My student loans were managed by AES. When I sent a payoff for the loans, they cashed the checks and did not apply the payment (of several thousands of dollars). They could not find the payments in their system at first, then they claimed the account number was not on the checks, although I had images of the checks that clearly showed the account number and the checks were accompanied by a formal payoff letter specifying the amounts, name on the loan, and the account number. The employees I spoke with were rude and dismissive, and they did not provide any solutions to the problem. When I asked to log a complaint, the representative hung up on me.

Original review: May 25, 2017

AES keep locking me out of my account and changes my payments monthly, they are deceptive and provide inaccurate information to purposely make people late. AES will not provide information requested. I have been requesting assistance for years and my account issues have gone unresolved. The AES ombudsman has not returned my calls. I'm tired of no assistance and being set up for more fraudulent fees added to my account. AES cooks the books. Department of Education knowingly allows AES to commit fraud on their behalf. Beware they are in bed together. You will never get assistance. This is legal fraud. The student loan debt numbers are not real if you minus the bogus fees and interest most student loans would be paid off 10 fold. The servicing companies are in bed with Dep of Ed. You are better off not going to school in the US. Get a better free education in Europe.

Original review: May 8, 2017

I am very much a responsible borrower. I pay on time and never missed it. This company is not helping students to help pay for student loans. The interest rate keeps increasing after transferring from Bank of America to AES. It keeps increasing ever since I got transferred to AES. This company is making people stressed more. I have never received more than 1 bill statement with Bank of America's account. With AES aka "Hell Education" company, I have received at least more than 2 statements monthly.

MAKING PROFITS IS TRULY THEIR MISSION! It is totally NOT reliable. This company should NOT exist because they are merely making profits out of students who are responsible borrowers/new borrowers. Therefore, they don't deserve any stars. 1 star because it was required! They deserve 0 STAR! This company should be DEAD DEAD DEAD! Or change it to "HELL EDUCATION!

Original review: May 4, 2017

I recently decided to apply for an income based repayment plan after several years of essentially paying interest only on my $22,000 in student loans. As with other reviewers, the amount I owe continues to increase because of the capitalization of interest. I faxed income tax documents to them 4/19 and emailed them a couple days ago because I had not received an update. The gal who responded said my information was received 4/28. Well, if I faxed info 4/19 and they didn't get it till 4/28 exactly where did it go in between those dates? They're not very clear with the process. In prior communication with them I was given a time frame but differing information appeared on their site. It just seems like they make it difficult for customers to enroll in an IBR plan. That is at least my experience so far.

I'd like to remind others who are young and out of college to really understand what they are signing up for. When these folks called me many, many years ago, I really didn't get it - the high interest rate and consolidation of loans. Sounded like a good option at the time. Now that I'm much older and working in a financial institution, I would have made better choices. Please be sure to educate yourselves fully on your options!

Original review: April 7, 2017

I signed for a combined subsidized and unsubsidized student loans to pay for Master Degree in 2006. The loans amount mounted to $23,500.00 at an interests rate of 5.37% for the life of the loans. 5.37% of 23,500.00 = $1,300.00 more or less. I paid $110.00 for ten years = $13,000.00. Not even one cent has been applied to principal. This is usury and plain open and in your face fraud. I called a month ago for a complete payments records from 2006 - 2016 before I Initiate legal action and nothing. This government agency or department needs to be expose to the media. They are doing the same crap to my youngest son who graduated from college two years ago. I am forward to help expose the crooks running this dept. Let me know.

Original review: March 25, 2017

I have been paying in my loans since 2011 with automatic withdrawals. They stated I would qualify for a cheaper payment. My loans have since gone up because they said I had put my loans in deferment several times over the loan. I asked them why they have reported to the credit union Experian and Equifax for the past 12 years said they weren't sure why. I asked for phone records so I could see supposedly who I was talking to and they said they could not. This company needs investigated.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2017

This company is by far the worst Company I have ever had to deal with. They send threatening letters demanding you pay so much or else they will take further action. Will NOT work with you in arranging payments you can afford and will NOT defer your loans if you are still in school. Total rip off and you will be paying out the ** if you get a loan with this company. They need to be shut down for their practices. If I would have known all of this in the beginning I sure in heck wouldn't have gotten anything through them...

Original review: Feb. 9, 2017

Borrowed 28K. Payments over 20 years totaled 28K plus another $7300 in interest. Lowest balance was $17000 due to 9% interest. Husband died. Lost insurance. Medical Bankruptcy. AES in PA student loans wouldn't adjust terms. Now owe $39,000 at 9%. Lost husband, my house, every cent, my credit and ability to work in some settings since federal government can take salary, social security and Medicare payments I could receive... AES ruins my life more and more every day and should pay ME damages. Unfair Lending Practices. Greed. They got their money back plus some interest. AES is the greedy evil banker Mr. Potter from It's A Wonderful Life. No wonder George Bailey felt desperate but I won't stop fighting these criminal bankers.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2017

AES should be investigated by the federal government. They are worse than street loan sharks. Case in point my original loans were approximately $14,000. I have paid over $6500 to them and yet I currently owe close to $18,000!!!!! There is no end in sight. Who regulates this company? Nothing but complaints about them yet they are still in operation! We need a class action lawsuit. I had every intention of paying back my loans but the amounts I actually owe. They are crooks!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

I am so incredibly frustrated with this business. I was quoted a monthly payment amount and told if I paid this amount for 10 years, my student loan debt would be forgiven and considered paid in full. The amount I was quoted went from $346 per month to $400 as a state government employee of 20 years. Also, when I asked that the due date be moved from the 8th of the month to after the 16th so I could afford to pay it and stop accruing late fees, they denied my request. It feels like this is designed to keep me in debt and establishing bad credit. I have worked as a mental health counselor for many years and while I make a decent wage, I can barely live off of it because of this enormous payment, no leniency or flexibility. AES is unreliable and shady.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2017

I graduated back in 2007. Was only 17 at the time so I had no clue what I had signed myself up for. I have been paying on this private student loan since 2008. I originally took the loan out for 16,000 I've paid them at total of 18,000 and somehow owe them 20,000. My interest rate is constantly changing. Currently my interest rate is at a 10.9. I pay AES 190 a month which is interest only. I am stuck in this horrible loan that I will never get paid off. If you are planning on getting a loan through them DON'T. Worst loan company ever!!!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

It doesn't seem to matter how much education we receive, whenever student loans are the only means of financing our education, we start a losing battle of postponing LIFE as we are supposed to live it. This has been my experience for many years. I borrowed one semester's worth of tuition costs in 1983 in my last semester to be able to graduate. Although I worked full time in banquets at Four Seasons Hotel, together with many other students, our GOOD pay then just didn't cover my final expenses for art supplies I needed to purchase to finish all my projects.

My situation is truly sad since I became disabled right after I graduated at age 46. I suffered trying to keep up with an 8% interest loan while unable to work many times after 10 surgeries to this day. This cloud has some very nice silver linings. I used to be called and threatened, fees added every time the companies changed ownership and my little loan turned into $10 K. I have long paid my loan, but the interest just keeps on going.

I am 73 today, a fairly good painter and I love life, but the treatment of various companies over the years has been horrid. I give AES 3 stars because they were the first to offer me help. I had to fill out a lot of paper work and collected statements from doctors to stop the harassment. I feel truly sad for the many young people forced to take out huge loans just to finance their education since there are no jobs without it. I don't think that the incoming administration has any interest in student hardships. Sorry to assume. It is unforgiving.

American Education Services Company Information

1200 North 7th Street
Harrisburg
PA
www.aessuccess.org

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use