1.07/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

American Education Services

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 3, 2017

240 American Education Services Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I have three student loans with AES for my sons. For each loan, AES has consistently and systematically raised the interest rates on each. Listed below are the dates for the last 5 interest rate hikes AES has imposed: 10/4/2016, 12/31/2016, 4/4/2017, 7/5/2017, 9/30/2017. To make matters worse, there's never any explanation as to why the interest rate has increased. I'm going to refinance these loans with another loan servicer and leave this SHAM lender alone!!!

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

This company is the hardest to work with in managing loans. 1) Removing a co-signer is impossible unless you pay off your loan or consolidate it elsewhere. After 7 years on auto-pay with no late payments does not count. They will not remove a name off the loan. 2) Communication is slow. You have to wait 48 hours before getting a response to a question. Most of the time they aren't even answering your question and giving you the runaround. Do you not have documentation of previous communications with your customers? 3) I manage my husband's loans. I am an authorized user. The fact that I called in to check on the loans which I am paying automatically caused them to block the account. Honestly, if someone wants to hack our loans and pay for it, go ahead! In the event you need a loan in the future, do not go with this company. Navient, SoFi, your bank, etc. are better options.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

This company is a JOKE! I am in school part-time, trying to finish my dissertation and EVERY semester they try and say I am delinquent on my loan with them. I send them the info they need and the university does the same but they STILL do this. I FINALLY got the Chancellor’s office to handle it and now, I am only delinquent when the semester ends and before it begins. They are a joke!!!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

I sent them my forbearance application, along with the requested documents (EDD Letter and Job Exit Letter because my position ended at the end of the school year); however, they were the only lender out of 3, that said this wasn't sufficient information for proof of unemployment. I sent them an email asking to resolve this issue...

IF YOU HAVE AN ISSUE WITH AES, REPORT THEM TO THE Federal Student Aid Ombudsman Group https://studentaid. ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/disputes/prepare/contact-ombudsman. They handle all of the complaints about federal loans with lenders. These are the complaints they handle: If you have an issue with improperly posted payments, you must contact your loan servicer and attempt to resolve the issue by providing evidence. If your loan is in default but you believe it should not be, gather proof of payments and contact your loan servicer to address it directly with them. They encourage you to do a ton of work first and explore every possible avenue before contacting them. This can be frustrating, but it is the government we’re talking about! The only loans they can help with are federal loans.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

Be alert. I just got AES to admit they had me paying off someone else's loans!!! First, they will give you the runaround and tell you to contact someone else. Don't fall for it. I may also suggest live chat and demand transcripts of the chat. They will email it to you and then you have proof. It took months and months and notarizing fraud/identity theft paperwork, make several copies, as they intentionally lose it, and having found my original loan promissory notes, and contacting ombudsmen, CFPB, before they would do anything.

They knowingly forcing me to pay loans that are not mine! And now that they admit they are not even my student loans, they refuse to return my money, which legally they have to do. So that's where I'm at with them. Plus they refuse to notify credit bureaus, loan servicer they sold these loans to that they are not mine, and AES refuses to remove my name, or correct NSLD website. These 2 loans, that begin <$7k, and $13k I paid, bal. Is over $20k. FIND THOSE PROMISSORY NOTES FOLKS. And double check those amounts are even your loans.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Education Services?

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

Very frustrating dealing with AES! I never do anything like this because I understand that my debts are just that! Mine! My responsibility to pay! Here's the problem! I took out a student loan several years ago. It was 3500 dollar loan! Payments 50 dollars a month for 8 years or less. A few years back some major changes took place and I was in financial distress! I called AES they offered forbearance! They were very nice. They always have been. However a few months later I get a nasty letter telling me my loan is going to default. When I called I was told there was no record of my loan ever being in forbearance. But that I could bring it current and then request forbearance again! It was hard but I did it. When I called back I was told that I couldn't request forbearance if I wasn't behind on payments! GEEZ REALLY! This went on off and on for a while.

Well a year ago I was told that I qualified for an income based repayment plan. I'm single with children! I thought great I was so relieved. I gave them everything they asked for and I was told based on my information my payments were 0. This would be good for a year but if my situation changed to let them know. I happily agreed! Several months later I get another nasty letter my loan is defaulting. When I called I was told they could see the request but had never gotten what they needed to process it and now there's nothing I can do. They seem to have a problem holding on to things. I have paid back around 4500 dollars and they say I still owe 2800 dollars!!! It was only 3500 dollar loan. I guess they are either going to garnish my pay or take my tax refund in January! It seems like there should be something we could do about this. It isn't right and they shouldn't get so much money. It's like they are just legally stealing money from people!

Original review: July 18, 2017

When I first started paying on my student loans I assumed payments were being applied as directed; I was completely wrong! Please make sure you check on any payment you send to your student loan. I have tried to send an extra payment on a monthly basis to try to pay off my debt, and after countless calls and speaking to managers I have come to accept I have to check on my loan minimum twice a month. The problems have ranged from my extra payments not being applied AT ALL (in which case I have to send bank statements and copy of check) to my account being placed on "Paid Ahead" status as it continues to accumulate interest. If you check the website, it states you can target specific loans online, which is completely false.

Every manager I speak to gives me a different reason for my payment being applied as they see fit, versus how I am asking for my payment to be applied. Reasons range from putting a cap on how much you can pay towards a subsidized loan to a letter being mailed with the check with "EXACT WORDING." In one of my previous calls, I had to have the manager dictate the letter I needed to write, which I send out with my check on a monthly basis. Of course this has done nothing to the way my payment is applied, as now they tell me letters are thrown away once the check is received and the person receiving the check is not the one to apply the payment.

Now, along with the letter stapled to the check, I have to write 3 things on the memo field of the check, "DO NOT PLACE MY ACCOUNT ON PAID AHEAD STATUS", the loan number I want to target, and my account number. You would assume with all this information I would not have a problem; however, you are wrong again! My payment is still not applied to the account stated, I have to spend a minimum of 15 minutes on the phone verifying all my contact information and getting pass the automated service explaining how I have to call EVERY single month, and I have to wait 7-10 business days before my payment is reapplied. In some cases, this does not happen and I need to call again, in others, I have to submit yet another letter asking them to reapply my payment. I sure wish I had looked at my loans closely for the first 5 years of payments; or that I had the money to pay them off once and for all!

Original review: July 16, 2017

I have received 6 letters in the mail, and an email claiming and I owe them money for my graduate school loan. All my loans are with Navient, and they have no record of transferring any of my accounts to another lender. The department of education also has no record of me having any loans with them. What they are doing is fraud and harassment.

Original review: July 14, 2017

I borrowed $25K in student loans, which were sold/consolidated with AES. This was the biggest mistake of my life. I would have been better off with a loan shark. I have paid over $28K in loan payments but still owe $20K. That means $5K went toward principal and $23K went to interest and fees. I have tried get assistance with to no avail. Their only response is to pay more than my scheduled payment.

Original review: July 13, 2017

If you are co-signing for a student loan, DO NOT USE A.E.S. unless you want to be on the hook as a co-signer indefinitely, get different answers from different people on how to be removed as a co-signer, have poor communication about it, and be denied numerous times for different ridiculous reasons. I have tried 4 times without "success" to be removed. Here I am 6 years into the loan, my daughter making an excellent salary where she can borrow 10x what she owes AES now, and they still won't let me out of being a co-signer. She is about to refinance with another company, so bye-bye AES. They will lose 10s of thousands of $ of future interest payments because of their incompetence in handling my simple, achievable request.

Original review: July 9, 2017

I received a letter that I was going into default. I called and explained I had recently gone through a separation and was a struggling single parent of 2. I couldn't afford my regular day to day bills and couldn't afford the payment. I was told that I could do a voluntary arrangement on top of the 15% garnishment that was being sent to my employer. Well I worked 4 plus years in my current position for state of SC and state rules say you can't maintain job and have a default loan. So now I'm without employment and there is no check to garnish but now my children and I may soon be on the streets.

Original review: June 9, 2017

This company is a joke. They are in this business to make money. They don't care about the borrowers and when you call in to get other payment options they don't exist. I didn't know when I went through PNC Bank for my student loans that I would be dealing with AES or I never would have used them.

Original review: May 31, 2017

My student loans were managed by AES. When I sent a payoff for the loans, they cashed the checks and did not apply the payment (of several thousands of dollars). They could not find the payments in their system at first, then they claimed the account number was not on the checks, although I had images of the checks that clearly showed the account number and the checks were accompanied by a formal payoff letter specifying the amounts, name on the loan, and the account number. The employees I spoke with were rude and dismissive, and they did not provide any solutions to the problem. When I asked to log a complaint, the representative hung up on me.

Original review: May 25, 2017

AES keep locking me out of my account and changes my payments monthly, they are deceptive and provide inaccurate information to purposely make people late. AES will not provide information requested. I have been requesting assistance for years and my account issues have gone unresolved. The AES ombudsman has not returned my calls. I'm tired of no assistance and being set up for more fraudulent fees added to my account. AES cooks the books. Department of Education knowingly allows AES to commit fraud on their behalf. Beware they are in bed together. You will never get assistance. This is legal fraud. The student loan debt numbers are not real if you minus the bogus fees and interest most student loans would be paid off 10 fold. The servicing companies are in bed with Dep of Ed. You are better off not going to school in the US. Get a better free education in Europe.

Original review: May 8, 2017

I am very much a responsible borrower. I pay on time and never missed it. This company is not helping students to help pay for student loans. The interest rate keeps increasing after transferring from Bank of America to AES. It keeps increasing ever since I got transferred to AES. This company is making people stressed more. I have never received more than 1 bill statement with Bank of America's account. With AES aka "Hell Education" company, I have received at least more than 2 statements monthly.

MAKING PROFITS IS TRULY THEIR MISSION! It is totally NOT reliable. This company should NOT exist because they are merely making profits out of students who are responsible borrowers/new borrowers. Therefore, they don't deserve any stars. 1 star because it was required! They deserve 0 STAR! This company should be DEAD DEAD DEAD! Or change it to "HELL EDUCATION!

Original review: May 4, 2017

I recently decided to apply for an income based repayment plan after several years of essentially paying interest only on my $22,000 in student loans. As with other reviewers, the amount I owe continues to increase because of the capitalization of interest. I faxed income tax documents to them 4/19 and emailed them a couple days ago because I had not received an update. The gal who responded said my information was received 4/28. Well, if I faxed info 4/19 and they didn't get it till 4/28 exactly where did it go in between those dates? They're not very clear with the process. In prior communication with them I was given a time frame but differing information appeared on their site. It just seems like they make it difficult for customers to enroll in an IBR plan. That is at least my experience so far.

I'd like to remind others who are young and out of college to really understand what they are signing up for. When these folks called me many, many years ago, I really didn't get it - the high interest rate and consolidation of loans. Sounded like a good option at the time. Now that I'm much older and working in a financial institution, I would have made better choices. Please be sure to educate yourselves fully on your options!

Original review: April 7, 2017

I signed for a combined subsidized and unsubsidized student loans to pay for Master Degree in 2006. The loans amount mounted to $23,500.00 at an interests rate of 5.37% for the life of the loans. 5.37% of 23,500.00 = $1,300.00 more or less. I paid $110.00 for ten years = $13,000.00. Not even one cent has been applied to principal. This is usury and plain open and in your face fraud. I called a month ago for a complete payments records from 2006 - 2016 before I Initiate legal action and nothing. This government agency or department needs to be expose to the media. They are doing the same crap to my youngest son who graduated from college two years ago. I am forward to help expose the crooks running this dept. Let me know.

Original review: March 25, 2017

I have been paying in my loans since 2011 with automatic withdrawals. They stated I would qualify for a cheaper payment. My loans have since gone up because they said I had put my loans in deferment several times over the loan. I asked them why they have reported to the credit union Experian and Equifax for the past 12 years said they weren't sure why. I asked for phone records so I could see supposedly who I was talking to and they said they could not. This company needs investigated.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2017

This company is by far the worst Company I have ever had to deal with. They send threatening letters demanding you pay so much or else they will take further action. Will NOT work with you in arranging payments you can afford and will NOT defer your loans if you are still in school. Total rip off and you will be paying out the ** if you get a loan with this company. They need to be shut down for their practices. If I would have known all of this in the beginning I sure in heck wouldn't have gotten anything through them...

Original review: Feb. 9, 2017

Borrowed 28K. Payments over 20 years totaled 28K plus another $7300 in interest. Lowest balance was $17000 due to 9% interest. Husband died. Lost insurance. Medical Bankruptcy. AES in PA student loans wouldn't adjust terms. Now owe $39,000 at 9%. Lost husband, my house, every cent, my credit and ability to work in some settings since federal government can take salary, social security and Medicare payments I could receive... AES ruins my life more and more every day and should pay ME damages. Unfair Lending Practices. Greed. They got their money back plus some interest. AES is the greedy evil banker Mr. Potter from It's A Wonderful Life. No wonder George Bailey felt desperate but I won't stop fighting these criminal bankers.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2017

AES should be investigated by the federal government. They are worse than street loan sharks. Case in point my original loans were approximately $14,000. I have paid over $6500 to them and yet I currently owe close to $18,000!!!!! There is no end in sight. Who regulates this company? Nothing but complaints about them yet they are still in operation! We need a class action lawsuit. I had every intention of paying back my loans but the amounts I actually owe. They are crooks!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

I am so incredibly frustrated with this business. I was quoted a monthly payment amount and told if I paid this amount for 10 years, my student loan debt would be forgiven and considered paid in full. The amount I was quoted went from $346 per month to $400 as a state government employee of 20 years. Also, when I asked that the due date be moved from the 8th of the month to after the 16th so I could afford to pay it and stop accruing late fees, they denied my request. It feels like this is designed to keep me in debt and establishing bad credit. I have worked as a mental health counselor for many years and while I make a decent wage, I can barely live off of it because of this enormous payment, no leniency or flexibility. AES is unreliable and shady.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2017

I graduated back in 2007. Was only 17 at the time so I had no clue what I had signed myself up for. I have been paying on this private student loan since 2008. I originally took the loan out for 16,000 I've paid them at total of 18,000 and somehow owe them 20,000. My interest rate is constantly changing. Currently my interest rate is at a 10.9. I pay AES 190 a month which is interest only. I am stuck in this horrible loan that I will never get paid off. If you are planning on getting a loan through them DON'T. Worst loan company ever!!!

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

It doesn't seem to matter how much education we receive, whenever student loans are the only means of financing our education, we start a losing battle of postponing LIFE as we are supposed to live it. This has been my experience for many years. I borrowed one semester's worth of tuition costs in 1983 in my last semester to be able to graduate. Although I worked full time in banquets at Four Seasons Hotel, together with many other students, our GOOD pay then just didn't cover my final expenses for art supplies I needed to purchase to finish all my projects.

My situation is truly sad since I became disabled right after I graduated at age 46. I suffered trying to keep up with an 8% interest loan while unable to work many times after 10 surgeries to this day. This cloud has some very nice silver linings. I used to be called and threatened, fees added every time the companies changed ownership and my little loan turned into $10 K. I have long paid my loan, but the interest just keeps on going.

I am 73 today, a fairly good painter and I love life, but the treatment of various companies over the years has been horrid. I give AES 3 stars because they were the first to offer me help. I had to fill out a lot of paper work and collected statements from doctors to stop the harassment. I feel truly sad for the many young people forced to take out huge loans just to finance their education since there are no jobs without it. I don't think that the incoming administration has any interest in student hardships. Sorry to assume. It is unforgiving.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2017

The complaint is about a private loan from AES where I obtained a student loan, and they insist on a co-signer. I was told when I apply for the loan the co-signer will be removed after a year which was not true, once I start repayment. I start sending payment for a year when yet they did not remove the co-signer's name. My complaint is the constant mail I received from this institution on a monthly basis, and they realize I am attending college because I notify them by mail. I have sent them a response various times making them aware I am in college and my loans are in deferments, but they ignore that fact. Furthermore, in 2015/2016 I started to send them payments when I can in a small amount of about 40.00 dollars to apply it for my current loan to keep the amount low, however, I am presently in school as a graduate student full time.

I complained to my school and they said they have sent automatic update to them making them aware I am continuously enrolled. In November 2016, they are constantly sending me information for past payment and continuously sending information about higher interest rate and also sending information to my co-signer who happens to be a retired vet which has made him very concern to why they are constantly sending these mails every month to him. In addition, they are sending letters claiming they could not debit my account for the monthly payment because I close my account, and I need to send them payment immediately with another form of payment. That was really strange because I never sent an agreement for debit payment, and they contact the co-signer claiming of miss payments, and he needs to make the payment.

I was absolutely horrified how deceptive AES can be. Please contact them to explain why they are continuously sending deceptive mails and claiming I sent them a debit payment plan which is not true. Furthermore, sending negative report to the credit agencies which is affecting my credit score and in term making it difficult for me to get hired. I have been in search of a job with no success, and I think the negative report on my credit is contributing to these issues. Please help me to solve this problem. These company business practices are not honorable, and I want everyone to be aware of these underhanded practices.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2017

I have had nothing but problems with AES. I am repaying my loans back finally after getting back on my feet and I mailed my monthly payment in prior to the due date December 2016. They are saying they never received the payment and that a late fee of over $300 is being applied to my account and being reported to the credit bureaus. I requested a complete historical trail of my loans. I am in my 50s and the way their processes work, I will never be able to pay back these loans. I am considering a class action lawsuit against them. I want an attorney to review all my loan paperwork first to ensure that I have a case. My rates have gone up without my knowledge and who else knows what they do to keep you enslaved in student debt bondage. If I can get an attorney to help me, I will be sure to inform.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2016

I have paid on time, I am paid ahead on my loan. Originally I had a co-signer on my loan. My co-signer, a relative, committed suicide in a different state and under horrible circumstances. The company continues to pester me and threaten to call my loan due if I do not provide contact information for my co-signer. I am unable to get a death certificate for this person because I am not a first degree relative. I have told the company that. They call, email and send letters constantly. I have been told that they will force me to pay my entire loan if I don't take care of this. No customer service at all. They are getting their money but that's not enough. They want to drive me insane as well. I wish we had the option to refinance and take our business elsewhere.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2016

I have been paying my student loans since 2010. My interest rate has went up 3 times. I borrowed 30,000 and once it is all said and done and paid off I will pay back over 80,000. This is absolutely ridiculous. I have tried to talk to someone several times regarding options that are available and I am told there are none. I feel I am stuck and if I knew what I was getting myself into I would never use a private lender. I would NEVER recommend AES to anyone.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2016

I have had my account with AES since I graduated with my masters degree in 2007. Throughout the time, they have offered absolutely no flexibility or offered any options to help me when I was struggling to find employment or through financial hardships. I tried working with several customer service representatives and was treated like garbage for trying to make payments. Their tone was one of annoyance and I felt like I was bothering them by contacting them proactively and trying to work out other options to be responsible and pay what I can. More than once I was told that the only way that they would be able to "work with me" is if I stopped making payments. I have never been advised by any other loan company to not pay. I find that to be terribly bad advice; I asked to speak with a supervisor and was told the same thing. Some company philosophy!!

When I inquired about making partial payments, I was told, will not satisfy their requirement, and I was told that they will charge me late fees for every month I was unable to make payments in full and get my account into good standing. They also jack up the interest rates on my loans annually, to the maximum amount that they can even though I have made my payments on time as often as possible. In sum, I have never worked with a loan provider that had such bad customer service and poor business practices. Throughout the time that they have been my loan provider, I have felt punished for making payments on time.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2016

I participate in an Education Debt Repayment Program (EDRP) through my employer and am required to demonstrate proof of the amount I have paid to AES during the calendar year in order to get reimbursed for the loan payments. Every October for the past 5 years I have been forced to submit several iterations of the same EDRP lender verification form and hound the customer service representatives over the phone to provide this verification, which invariably takes several weeks. This year I again submitted the same form over the course of one month no fewer than 3 different times and have spent a total of 1.5 hours on the phone trying to accomplish the simple feat of getting a dollar amount and signature on a form.

Last week I was assured by one of their representatives that the completed form was "in the US mail" and was told that they would also be faxing the form to me in up to 2 business days. One week has passed since this conversation and I have yet to receive anything. I am now being called upon by my employer to produce this verification and am unfortunately challenged to find someone in this company that will have any interest in responding to my simple request. I would assign this experience a zero or less if that integer was available.

American Education Services Company Information