2. Miscellaneous

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.06/5

American Education Services Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Education Services?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Education Services?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

I sent in a cashier's check for a pay off with their name as payee my information on the memo line including my account. There is no payment on my account. They can't find it which is FUNNY bc the cashier's check cleared on the 15th yet here it is the 18th and I'm being told NOW I have to prove THEY are the ones that cashed the cashier's check made out to them. That's stealing in my book. How would anyone else cash a check made out to them??? And now I have to put in MORE work to prove it. Ridiculous!!!!

Original review: July 31, 2020

First, this student loan servicing company does NOT fall under the CARES Act. They are a blood-sucking bank-owned company with their own rules. Sometimes they receive what you send, sometimes they don’t. Communication is poor, to say the least, unless you are late on your payments. Then, look out, robocall calls begin. They must get commissions on that. They are not helpful in helping you during tough times either. I had cancer twice and neither time did they help me with payments. Your payments DO NOT go towards the FEFL 120 payments and you’re done stuff because they are bank-owned and considered a private loan. They still report you to them though when you miss payments which risk your wages being garnished. Do yourself a favor and JUST DON’T. Stick to Federal student loans and only borrow what you absolutely must get. Pay it off ASAP. Don’t use these ya-hoos.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 24, 2020

I received a forbearance from American Education Services until 7/31/2020. The interest continues to accumulate. The forbearance being offered by the federal government and PHEAA is until 9/30/2020 with the interest rate lowered to 0%. I inquired why AES is not offering the same terms. I was told that I do not have a federal loan. After some research I found that AES is owned by PHEAA. I also found that the CARES Act has a provision for student loans. I sent another email to AES. I am waiting for a reply.

Original review: May 28, 2020

This is the absolute worst evil and corrupt organization I have ever seen. I have been paying on my sons student loan of $61,000 since 2006 and still have $38,000 left as of May 2020. I asked for assistance due to COVID and they said I could get 3 months deferred payment with interest continuing to accrue. NOW I got a letter stating they have 'renegotiated' my loan so I have to start paying all over again with interest at 5% (not the 4.75% I originally had) and instead of paying the loan off in 10 years it will be another 16 years!!! 30 years to pay off a student loan at $320 per month! And... They don't have a phone number to actually talk with someone. You can only contact them through email. if you want to join in exploring a class action lawsuit my phone is **, Mike.

Original review: May 8, 2020

I took a loan of $20,000 back in 2003 and have pain over $40,000 on interests alone, and still owe a balance of almost $17,000. How is that possible. They keep changing the repayment terms and try so much to make it impossible for you to repay the loan. Now I looking for another loan from another source to pay off their balance and move on. I wish the government can clamp down on them and save the people. As far as I'm concerned what they are doing ought to be criminal.

Original review: March 6, 2020

I took out loans with this company back in '07, 3 disbursements, 1 at $1,334 and 2 remaining ones at $1,333 for a total of $3,999. Up till this point I had paid $4k in interest alone, so I'm not sure how I still had a bal of over 6k due, which was not going down. I recently decided to transfer this bal over to a 0% cc to try and pay it off, and as I look at my original loans totaling $3,999 and what was paid off in principal $7,582.95 (not sure how this can be) plus interest $4,707 for a total of $12,290, I'm baffled at how this company can get away with collecting over double on such a small loan. If I knew I had a chance at winning a lawsuit and having my attorney's fees awarded, I would definitely sue them. But knowing these people they most likely have a clause on their contract that I signed that prevents me as the consumer from winning the lawsuit. Anyone looking to finance their schooling, I would stay clear from this company!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

I have loans with them ranging from '03-'07 when I was in school. My original borrowed amount was about 38k, I have since paid 56k back to them with a remaining balance of 47k. They have changed my interest rates over the year, making it impossible to even make a dent in this. They are horrible and take advantage of young students. After reading some other reviews, I see this is common practice for them. There really should be a lawsuit against them because they are literally just taking your money and make it impossible to get out. I am all for paying back what I borrowed with some interest, but this is ridiculous. They are like loan sharks for students. Avoid them at all costs!!!

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

My student loans were ASSUMED by AES from Ed South in 2003. The balance was ~ $28,000.00. I pay $225.00 each month regardless of what the 'balance due / minimum payment' request is. The amount due is typically between $50.00 and $75.00. I have made this payment each month since 2003 MINUS the two years I went back for my Masters and 2 years of personal illness. Taking into account interest accruals +/- monthly payments, let's say my balance went up to $31,000.00.

2020-2003 = 17 years
      17 years - 4 years deferred status = 13 years
      13 years x 12 months per year = 156 months
      156 months x $225.00 = $35,100.00

MY BALANCE TODAY IS $22,500.00

Can someone check my math? I have a Master's degree but I cannot calculate this so that it makes sense? I filed a request for AES Treasury to evaluate... Let's see how creative they are!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

I always pay early on my student loans, as soon as I get the bill. I pay the same amount every month (which they have verified numerous times is more than what I owe each month) and somehow every month I have a past due balance of $3 or $5 because "I didn't allocate where my payment should go in the system correctly."

1. I never allocate my payment. I just go in and pay what I always pay, expecting their system to allocate the payment correctly.
      2. I only get one bill every month and it is always for less than what I owe and about 2 weeks before the due date.
      3. I have never received an email letting me know I owe more money or that I have a past due amount on the account.

4. I am expected to log in multiple times throughout the month to make sure that the money I paid in was allocated correctly. Last month I went into my account 4 days before the due date and all of a sudden I owed $8 more than what I had already paid.

I reached out to the company because I was upset that they continuously try to say that I'm past due and that their system doesn't work properly to allocate the funds I'm paying in and they sent responses back accusing me of allocating funds improperly. I sent them screenshots of how I pay the bills showing them that I never allocate the funds, I just click on pay now, and they sent me a response back insinuating that I wasn't smart enough to understand how I was paying the bill.

I'm upset that they keep putting my stellar credit at risk by marking me as "past due" every month by $3 even though I overpay the bill by more than that each month. I'm upset that I contacted them, letting them know their system is broken and not working properly, and they treated me like I'm too stupid to understand how to use it properly. I'm upset that I reached out to them, asking for a credit on my bill for all the hassle, false notifications of being past due, and their incompetence in fixing their system and providing great customer service and I never received a response.

This company purposely puts their loan borrowers at risk of having negative impacts on their credit because of a faulty online payment system. Please don't do business with them if you can choose a different company. I notified them, I gave them an opportunity to fix their system, and I gave them an opportunity to make it up to me. I'm letting everyone know that if you're going through this with them, they are doing this on purpose. Causing you stress of being past due after you made a full or overpayment and putting your good credit at risk and also probably charging people late fees on past due amounts. They will never notify you, so you must sign in to your account multiple times to make sure you aren't going to get charged a fee. This is unfair to the consumer and fraudulent activity on their part.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

I was deployed to Iraq in 2010 and called you to help me out with my loan as I would be deployed for a year and did not have the ability to make payments consistently. Great news you said as we offer any military member special services that will help them while they serve our country. THAT WAS A HUGE LIE! You charged daily interest on my account taking my 9,000 loan and making it 15,000 because of the accrued interest. So now I'm paying more on a loan than when I took it out all because you promised a veteran they would be taken care of. Screw this company! Take my advice and steer clear from them!

American Education Services Company Information