1.16/5

270 American Education Services Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

This ** so called PHEAA (AES) has finally proved themselves in yet another fraudulent type case, according to 2 of my past classmates. There are far too many unhappy borrowers; they have indeed proven they are unethical. All one has to do is read the complaints on Consumer Affairs or just do a general GOOGLE search query. It is quite astonishing. Please join me in the proposed CAL.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

This company is a joke, the worst of the worst!! DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT RECEIVE A LOAN FROM THEM. I received this loan in 2007, My original principal balance was 20,000. I've as of today, paid $18,992.86, $15,456.52 towards interest and $3,482.80 towards the principal. How is they even possible? $316 dollars a month (Which still doesn't add up since I've been paying since 2017). We need to all band together and expose this horrible company for what they are, SCAMMERS!! Please if anyone is doing something or have advice on what to do, please let me know.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I had 2 loans with a cosigner (relative). I had been paying my loan for several years, never late, paid extra each month. A few months ago (May 2018) I tried to release the cosigner from both loans but due to missing a payment in February of 2013, I didn't qualify to release the cosigner. I was in good standing for 4 years but due to a missed payment over 5 years ago, I couldn't qualify? That's crap. Another thing, to release a cosigner, you can't have paid extra on your loans. You must not be paid ahead on your loans. How screwed up is that??

However, thanks to generous friends, I was able to pay my loan off fully, but even then, my automatic debit payments (which I called to cancel the day of my payoff), still went through after the payment. I just got off the phone with a very grumpy customer service agent who constantly cut me off (employee ID started with **...) who told me that that automatic debit payment that went through would be refunded in 30 days. If corporations are now like "people", they shouldn't be allowed to take their time refunding their system error. Just as I get calls daily for supposedly missing a payment, which eventually get forwarded to collections, they should be bothered daily with their mistakes.

Also, the automatic debit payment reward (this is not limited to just AES, other providers also offer this) is a scant .25% interest rate reduction. It's appalling. It's not even a whole 1 percent. Student loans have been around for several years now, they are not new territory. There needs to be more federal legislation to protect the students who are so desperate (a little naive, and definitely stupid) to get a college education. This wouldn't fly in the housing market. It's a Federal issue with lots of legislation surrounding it. Student loans should be as well.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

When I embarked on an education, I knew that a student loan was the only means by which I could attend college, however, I never expected it to become the bane of my existence. First, I struggled with securing a well paying job and although I tried to make the payments, I was soon forced into delinquency and slapped with a $25,000 penalty by the State of NY, so instead of a loan amount of $49,000 I now had a loan amount of $74,000 on which I have been paying for some years to the tune of $43000. I did not expect this debt to go away overnight, but a recent review of my balance shows that the principal amount has only been reduced by $3,000 which makes no sense and suggests that this company is manipulating the payment terms to drive interest. Having read some of the other complaints here, I am prepared to be part of a class action suit against this company.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I got injured several years ago on a previous job and went back to school to further my education while I was recovering. I got two loans over 10 years ago with AES (which was under a different name at the time ) in order to go back school. I have been paying almost $300 a month on these for years and they hardly move... I still owe almost the same as when this started. I've had a couple of obstacles over the years but usually get them paid even if it's little late. I recently lost my job and it's become a burden to pay these high payments right now. I called this afternoon to try to see if they could help with at least a temporarily lower payment, but the lady said there is nothing at all they can do to help so I let her know I guess they will get the payments whenever I can pay and I wished I had never used this company.

She said the only suggestion she had for me was to get a consolidation loan from somewhere... I asked how am I going to do that since I currently am not working. She said, "Well don't know what to tell you then" and hung up on me. This is not the first time they have been unhelpful and downright rude... Almost every time I've had to call them about something this is what they are like. If anyone out there is considering using American Education Services for college just do yourself a favor and find some other company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Education Services?

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Last night I was going online through AES website to add additional amount to my automatic withdrawal in order to pay off my loan faster. I had already paid enough extra that the billing statement for August was showing no payment would be needed until 2019. Today I logged in and found my next monthly REQUIRED payment had nearly doubled and it was due August 2018. When I called, I received the explanation that "they want to keep me on track" yet made no consideration for my current financial circumstances. I am going to try to get a new loan elsewhere. This place is horrible!!!

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

My loans were just transferred to this company and my payment was increased. Since I can't even afford what I *was* paying, I requested - in writing - the reason for the increase. I got two messages from AES, the first was "not available" when I signed in, the second - a couple of weeks later - was an electronic copy of a lot of irrelevant information. I can't get understandable information from them. Requested again.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

This might be the worst run organization on the planet. I have 4 loans with them. They all have different balances, different interest rates, and different monthly payments but three have the same account number. I made a payment on one loan and they applied it to a different loan. When I called them they said that I had overpaid so they decided to apply the payment to a different loan. They didn't think it was important to notify me, let alone ask me. My daughter is the borrower and they give her the statements with a different account number. I get two notices per month from each loan. One has an account number but no address to send the payment to and the other has an address but no account number. They are so poorly run that I believe it is criminal. When you call you just get the runaround. Every call gets a different answer.

Original review: July 29, 2018

I'll admit when I was young and in my twenties I wasn't very financially responsible. It wasn't until I was in my 30s I became much more financially aware. I graduated from college 18 years ago with a student loan debt of $37,664. When I was in my 20s my mother offered to pay on my student loan debt because she said she wanted to help me pay for college. Of course, I happily agreed. When I was in my early 30s my mother retired, and asked if I would take over my student loan payments. I said "sure, no problem".

My payments from American Education services are $435 a month. It's guess it's not the worst amount, but money gets tight. Thanks to my Liberal Arts Communications major I seem to have hit an income ceiling of about $50K a year in Corporate America, (whoopee), considering the astronomical cost of living these days. I have two young children and an husband who is about to go on disability so I recently really started digging into my finances in anticipation of his lost income.

One thing I thought it "you know, this student loan balance never really seems to go down"... I looked into my payment history with AES and was astounded, nearly fell off my chair, to discover in the past 18 years, on an original loan of $37,664 starting in the year 2000, my mother and I have paid $42,891 towards the principal and $36,855 in interest, for a total of $80,141. And here is the real kicker - AES is telling me I still owe them $37,663. So you mean to tell me I am going to pay $117,804 on a loan that was originally $37,663?! You mean to tell me all of this time, these past 18 years, I've paid $1 towards the original amount I owed you??!!

I thought there must be some mistake. Now over the course of the past 18 years I did probably do about 2-3 years of deferments. Even so, there is no way these numbers even make sense. I called AES and the first customer service rep I talked to was seriously mystified by it. She couldn't explain it. I said how are we not even??!! How is this loan not paid off??? She literally said "I don't know". I called back later and talked to a second rep who basically told me "yeah, too bad, too sad." I guess what had happened is that when I graduated from school I had about 4 separate student loans. My mom apparently consolidated these loans into 1 loan, which was probably recommended to her, and on the surface, seems to make sense. However, when that happened there apparently was a huge interest cap. The consolidation, combined with my deferments, apparently caused all of this.

I just don't understand how this is even legal, let alone moral. How can you bury people like this AES??!! Going to college was supposed to help my life, instead it seems to have done nothing except screw me up financially. I'm going to encourage my children to only go to college if they get scholarships. I've started a "higher education fund" for them, but sadly can't afford to put in any more than $50 a month for each of them because of the money AES continues to bleed from me, probably until the day I die at this rate.

I am not going to take this lying down. I am filing a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and the PA State Attorney General as well. It would be one thing if I paid only $15,000 since graduating college, but this is unacceptable. You can’t bury someone by charging them triple their loan amount. I will be trying to round up others to join me in a lawsuit as well.

My warning to others - unless you are getting a scholarship or are pursuing a very sought after degree - Engineering or Nursing - college is not worth it. I'm actually leaving corporate American to start my own business as a health and wellness coach, and to become a real estate agent - absolutely not worth the $117,000 I paid for a Communications degree I'm not going wind up using. That's if I am even able to pay it off - according to AES my expected pay off date is the year 2028 - after graduating from college in 2000 - if that's even accurate because I don't trust them. If anyone else is a victim of AES cruel and unusual loan practices we need to ban together. We need to fight this unethical giant. Don't buy into the lie that you must go to college to be successful.

Original review: July 16, 2018

I am trying to get my degree to become a nurse, but this loan servicer has been my biggest obstacle in trying to finish and afford school. I am a struggling college student, and now this company is making me pay back my loans during the summers and winters while I am still in school. Nearly half my low income goes to paying off these loans, while I am just trying to save up and afford school during the summer. It is like they are purposely trying to make it impossible for me to graduate, it seems to me that they want you to default on your loans so they can charge you more late fees and interest. Customer service is absolutely useless, they will not help you. I started paying my loans off early, but now that I have, they always come asking me for money whenever I get a break from school. Companies like this are despicable, don't get a loan from a lender that uses this company as their loan servicer. They have a 1 star rating for a reason.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I have worked for 10 years as a teacher at a Title I school. I was told my loans would be forgiven through the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program and l had expressed this intent to AES in the initial contacts. I have never missed a payment. Now, AES is saying that I did not enroll in the correct payment program and none of my payments qualified, so I have to start over. How convenient right? So if you are like me please reach out and claim what we were promised. Please also take the time to email the Pennsylvania Attorney General, consumer financial protection bureau, etc.

Original review: June 28, 2018

This place is like a 1$ roadside in experience. My loan supposedly was transferred however I am unable to make a payment as my account is still not completed being transferred. People are very rude and told me to send in payment but don't know how much to send in. Why would I send in a payment if you don't even have an account open for me and can't tell me the amount to send in. I am very disgusted with this place.

Original review: June 12, 2018

My deceased husband and I each have separate accounts with AES and I didn't realize after his death that I was no longer required to pay on this loan. In March of 2018, I received a refund for the money that I had paid in since his death. The first problem was that the check was made out in his name so couldn't cash it. So I called and requested a new check made out in my name. They told me it would be sent out in 7 to 10 business days. LIARS! Called again was told I needed to send that check back to them, then they could send out a new check in my name! LIARS!

Called again and was told that it would take 30 days to review and then they could send out the "new check! LIARS AGAIN! Here we are 3 months later and still dealing with them. As in the other reviews that I have read, they don't have a clue of what is going on in the company, although they input all of this information into their computers. They must not of gone to college because they can't READ the information on their computers, They are a terrible company and I would be more than happy to join a legal action against them.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I just discovered/realized that my loan balance had not changed for the better part of an entire year, even though I have been making payments on time and every month. I called, asked and found out that so much interest accrues on my loan monthly that it barely covers the accrued interest. So nothing, no part of my monthly payments goes to reducing the principal balance. How can that be allowed. This is legalized loan sharking. Legalized exploitation!!!!

Original review: May 13, 2018

AES does not respect any of your private information. People that were unauthorized to my account contacted them and they told all my financial information without being authorized to my account. I'm changing my student loan servicer to other company. This is an humiliating nightmare.

Original review: May 3, 2018

This company bought my loan from another and I've been paying the entire loan off for a total 13 years. In that time I've paid approximately 25k, yet my balance has only gone down around 2k! With a very low fixed interest rate on a loan that is not huge. How that is possible? I've already paid almost my entire loan, yet I still owe the whole thing. This company is a complete scam, and when I call to ask for an explanation they are NO help. I was on a 15-year repayment program and still owe the entire loan with 2 years left - how is this going to be paid off EVER? Is anyone starting a class action lawsuit?

Original review: April 13, 2018

Paid off my loan using their online tool to calculate the exact payoff amount based on date of payoff. When the amount came through my bank account, checked to make sure the payment was reflected on the AES website. It was not. I waited for 2 days, then the amount was reflected but there was still an additional $13.99 on my account. Called since there was clearly an error and got a huge runaround that I paid the wrong amount, that the amount I paid was from 3 weeks prior. I did pay the $13.99 and fully expect to see what, $5.99 as a balance despite doing the same exact process. So if you pay off your loan early, expect to get charged for it. Reporting them to BBB which is also a joke of an organization but these kinds of business practices HAVE to stop.

Original review: April 3, 2018

This company bought my student loans and have on numerous occasions gone against my original contract and changed criteria in my loan. They have taken me off of auto withdrawal which raises my interest rates (I've either put myself back on or had to complain so they put me back), changed my monthly loan payments (they lowered them when I am trying to pay ahead so I can pay off), and put me on deferment without my permission (I paid in cash for a couple college classes, this has nothing to do with them).

I have paid ahead in my loans for a real long time and they keep breaking rules and harassing me by going on my account for no reason and changing info. Calls are always "promised" but not followed through with what they tell me. I have been going through BBB and other agencies attempting to resolve these issues and they do not even appropriately respond to any of my complaints. They basically copy and paste the same message.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I received a loan from AES back in 2005 and started repaying them in 2008. I have been repaying my loan for 10 years now and literally still owe what I originally borrowed in 2005. I was young and should have looked into the loan before getting it because now I feel like I will be paying them forever. I've already paid them back over 20,000 dollars which is more than I borrowed, how can I still owe them the original balance. Also, they continue to raise my interest rate which is ridiculous since all my money goes to interest as is. Someone should really be investigating their practices, they are ruining people's lives.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I tried to get loans from AES back in 2001. They treated me like a last priority because my Parents did not have income. I was on my own. I figured it out, got my loans, and you know the song and dance from there. I was still struggling to pay back until I was referred to a place called Academic Financial Support Center (AFSC) in Irvine, CA. They helped get me enrolled in a Federal program I had NO idea existed and I paid $10 a month for 36 months. After that my loans were completely forgiven! Our President has stated he is cleaning up shop and eliminating these loan forgiveness programs. Get in while you still can!!!

Original review: March 7, 2018

First damage by this company: AES/CIS ED placed a 60-days-late Sep 2011 on my credit report in error. In Jun-Jul 2011, my loan was transferred from XPRESS LOAN SERVICING to AES/CIS ED and AES/CIS ED neglected to continue my long-established, contract auto-debit payments when they became the new servicer of my loan in Jul 2011. When I realized their error, I contacted them immediately. I should not have been penalized for their clerical error. I have tried several times to get the 2011 negative, 60-day-late notation taken off of my credit, and hit has cost me higher interest rates on loans over the past seven years.

Second damage by this company: In March of 2012, I paid my student loan balance in full, however, in Mar of 2017, AES/CIS ED started reporting to the three credit reporting bureaus that I was once again making payments, but was 60-days-late Jul 2017, and then they reported that my account was again closed in Jan 2018. This is another clerical error made by AES/CIS. My account has been paid in full since Mar 2012, NO payments due, NO balance due since March 2012, therefore should be NO reporting at all for the period Apr 2012-2018. I have been trying to resolve this issue with AES/CIS ED and they are treating me as though it is me that has made some error.

Their customer service is sorely lacking while they damage my credit and hinder my ability to refinance my home. This is the second time this company has damaged my credit and their representatives speak over the top of my words as I try to ask them to please look at their own accounting and correct their errors! This second erroneous notation of a 60-day-late payment Jul 2017 on an account that has been closed since 2012 is egregious and if not resolved immediately, I will take legal action for damages. Enough is enough!

Original review: March 7, 2018

We have been trying to refile our IBR status with this company now for 4 months. They have successfully lost our paperwork, insisted on paperwork that is not required by student loan.gov and claimed to be able to resolve our issues before our payments were to restart. Now, we are being threatened with emails that our accounts are past due and may be defaulted. This is not the first time this has happened. They insist that they are working on issues and then say that they have never been asked for what you are requesting. This happens every time that we have to do our recertification paperwork.

On top of this, they are constantly changing interest rates and we now owe 3X the original loan amounts. When you ask them to make records on your files of conversations, they do not. Even when you speak to a customer service manager. I do not recommend this company to anyone. I also suggest that if you have an issue with them to file a complaint with the CFPB.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

Seeing how most of these reviews are by students/borrowers who are still paying/defaulted on their loans, here is an opinion of someone who has paid them off. I borrowed approximately $22,000 in loans from PNC/AES from 2013 through 2015. I spent approximately two years paying off the loans on a salary of $40,000. Below is a pros/cons list of the company and website:

Pros: Can make and apply payments of any quantity outside of the regular auto-payment, this is extremely useful for trying to pay down a loan using the avalanche method. The customer service is U.S. based and generally the wait times are low(er). I have contacted AES roughly 25 times over four years and have always gotten a somewhat satisfactory/informative answer. Website interface is easy/instant chat support is useful and convenient. Company seems to be making a genuine effort to update and streamline the overall student loan repayment process.

Cons: Services reps could be more knowledgeable, sometimes information can be conflicting. Although website is simple, many links have lost their functionality/don't work. Once you have paid off your loans the payment transaction history is frozen, in order to see your payment transactions you have to contact the company and request them (7-10 business days processing time). Website alerts don't synchronize with the Dropbox/uploading tool. Sometimes a new document is in my AES inbox and I will not get an alert. This can be problematic for time sensitive items.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

Do not trust anyone at this company. I called regarding a rebate that was on my account to find out what it was for. I was told it was part of the Graduate Benefit Program. I asked if it had to be a Bachelors Degree and was told only Associate’s Degree on multiple occasions. I completed my Associates Degree and submitted all the documentation. I was told I was ineligible for my 1% rebate. I have called many times and asked for the supervisor and never got a return call when I was told I would. I also never received the rebate I was promised. I would avoid this company at all costs! They are horrible!!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Almost $12k in student loan payments and have never been late. A whopping $6k goes into interest and only $6k into principal. This company, part on PNC Bank should be investigated so get on the phone and call your state reps. who most likely are in bed with these thieves. Stay away from American Education Services based in Harrisburg, PA and find other lenders. Horrible service dept. and I can't imagine how people would be working at this fraud factory.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

These folks are absolute crooks of the highest order. They continually up your interest rate. When you contact them to ask a question, you get more runaround than any government agency in North Korea! The interest rate while showing an extremely high 7% calculates at about 50%.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

If I could give them NO stars I definitely would. They've lost my paperwork to defer my loans 2x. I assumed they were deferred the first time, checked and they did not get my paperwork. Sick of them and their horrible customer service, I sent a request to consolidate to Navient. 2 days later, they reported my loans being 90 days default. I know this was done as retaliation. My FICO score dropped WAY below that what it ever has been. Screw them. Something needs to done about them. There needs to be a class action filed ASAP.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

DO NOT TAKE OUT STUDENT LOANS WITH THIS COMPANY. I took out a Spousal Consolidation Loan with this company in 2000. I have been paying on this loan for 17 years now and have only paid down my principal $3500!! I've paid $54,000 IN INTEREST on a $46,000 loan. When I asked them about debt forgiveness, they told me my loan didn't qualify for it and I'd have to take out a different loan to pay off the existing loan and then make 10 MORE years of payments.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2017

On October 11th I received a letter stating they had sold my loan Reliamax. When I logged on all billing options had been removed and I could not see if my previously scheduled auto payment had been canceled nor could I cancel it. But sure enough AES took the money anyway on October 30th and once I contacted them they gave me the runaround and said no they would not refund the money but simply forward it to Reliamax. No care in the world that I am short 200 dollars now of money that was not budgeted to spend. I ended up having to submit a fraud charge through my bank to get the money back.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I received a student loan from AES 10 years ago. I've maintained appropriate payments, with never a delinquency to the account. Two weeks ago I contacted AES by phone to ask if the co-signer could be removed. They said it would be a six month process, and at that time I told the agent I would go ahead and initiate transferring the balance to another institution. The next day AES blocked access to my account summary online, and five days later the loan was sold off to another lender (ReliaMax) without telling me (I have trouble believing this timing is coincidence). Now the transfer payments I initiated have conveniently been lost in cyberspace. The transferring institution says they sent the funds, and the funds were received by AES. AES claims they never received the funds, and so now I have an extra open account.

American Education Services Company Information