American Education Services

Compare Miscellaneous Companies

Research top Miscellaneous Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

When I first started paying on my student loans I assumed payments were being applied as directed; I was completely wrong! Please make sure you check on any payment you send to your student loan. I have tried to send an extra payment on a monthly basis to try to pay off my debt, and after countless calls and speaking to managers I have come to accept I have to check on my loan minimum twice a month. The problems have ranged from my extra payments not being applied AT ALL (in which case I have to send bank statements and copy of check) to my account being placed on "Paid Ahead" status as it continues to accumulate interest. If you check the website, it states you can target specific loans online, which is completely false.

Every manager I speak to gives me a different reason for my payment being applied as they see fit, versus how I am asking for my payment to be applied. Reasons range from putting a cap on how much you can pay towards a subsidized loan to a letter being mailed with the check with "EXACT WORDING." In one of my previous calls, I had to have the manager dictate the letter I needed to write, which I send out with my check on a monthly basis. Of course this has done nothing to the way my payment is applied, as now they tell me letters are thrown away once the check is received and the person receiving the check is not the one to apply the payment.

Now, along with the letter stapled to the check, I have to write 3 things on the memo field of the check, "DO NOT PLACE MY ACCOUNT ON PAID AHEAD STATUS", the loan number I want to target, and my account number. You would assume with all this information I would not have a problem; however, you are wrong again! My payment is still not applied to the account stated, I have to spend a minimum of 15 minutes on the phone verifying all my contact information and getting pass the automated service explaining how I have to call EVERY single month, and I have to wait 7-10 business days before my payment is reapplied. In some cases, this does not happen and I need to call again, in others, I have to submit yet another letter asking them to reapply my payment. I sure wish I had looked at my loans closely for the first 5 years of payments; or that I had the money to pay them off once and for all!

I have received 6 letters in the mail, and an email claiming and I owe them money for my graduate school loan. All my loans are with Navient, and they have no record of transferring any of my accounts to another lender. The department of education also has no record of me having any loans with them. What they are doing is fraud and harassment.

I borrowed $25K in student loans, which were sold/consolidated with AES. This was the biggest mistake of my life. I would have been better off with a loan shark. I have paid over $28K in loan payments but still owe $20K. That means $5K went toward principal and $23K went to interest and fees. I have tried get assistance with to no avail. Their only response is to pay more than my scheduled payment.

If you are co-signing for a student loan, DO NOT USE A.E.S. unless you want to be on the hook as a co-signer indefinitely, get different answers from different people on how to be removed as a co-signer, have poor communication about it, and be denied numerous times for different ridiculous reasons. I have tried 4 times without "success" to be removed. Here I am 6 years into the loan, my daughter making an excellent salary where she can borrow 10x what she owes AES now, and they still won't let me out of being a co-signer. She is about to refinance with another company, so bye-bye AES. They will lose 10s of thousands of $ of future interest payments because of their incompetence in handling my simple, achievable request.

I received a letter that I was going into default. I called and explained I had recently gone through a separation and was a struggling single parent of 2. I couldn't afford my regular day to day bills and couldn't afford the payment. I was told that I could do a voluntary arrangement on top of the 15% garnishment that was being sent to my employer. Well I worked 4 plus years in my current position for state of SC and state rules say you can't maintain job and have a default loan. So now I'm without employment and there is no check to garnish but now my children and I may soon be on the streets.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Education Services?

This company is a joke. They are in this business to make money. They don't care about the borrowers and when you call in to get other payment options they don't exist. I didn't know when I went through PNC Bank for my student loans that I would be dealing with AES or I never would have used them.

My student loans were managed by AES. When I sent a payoff for the loans, they cashed the checks and did not apply the payment (of several thousands of dollars). They could not find the payments in their system at first, then they claimed the account number was not on the checks, although I had images of the checks that clearly showed the account number and the checks were accompanied by a formal payoff letter specifying the amounts, name on the loan, and the account number. The employees I spoke with were rude and dismissive, and they did not provide any solutions to the problem. When I asked to log a complaint, the representative hung up on me.

AES keep locking me out of my account and changes my payments monthly, they are deceptive and provide inaccurate information to purposely make people late. AES will not provide information requested. I have been requesting assistance for years and my account issues have gone unresolved. The AES ombudsman has not returned my calls. I'm tired of no assistance and being set up for more fraudulent fees added to my account. AES cooks the books. Department of Education knowingly allows AES to commit fraud on their behalf. Beware they are in bed together. You will never get assistance. This is legal fraud. The student loan debt numbers are not real if you minus the bogus fees and interest most student loans would be paid off 10 fold. The servicing companies are in bed with Dep of Ed. You are better off not going to school in the US. Get a better free education in Europe.

I am very much a responsible borrower. I pay on time and never missed it. This company is not helping students to help pay for student loans. The interest rate keeps increasing after transferring from Bank of America to AES. It keeps increasing ever since I got transferred to AES. This company is making people stressed more. I have never received more than 1 bill statement with Bank of America's account. With AES aka "Hell Education" company, I have received at least more than 2 statements monthly.

MAKING PROFITS IS TRULY THEIR MISSION! It is totally NOT reliable. This company should NOT exist because they are merely making profits out of students who are responsible borrowers/new borrowers. Therefore, they don't deserve any stars. 1 star because it was required! They deserve 0 STAR! This company should be DEAD DEAD DEAD! Or change it to "HELL EDUCATION!

I recently decided to apply for an income based repayment plan after several years of essentially paying interest only on my $22,000 in student loans. As with other reviewers, the amount I owe continues to increase because of the capitalization of interest. I faxed income tax documents to them 4/19 and emailed them a couple days ago because I had not received an update. The gal who responded said my information was received 4/28. Well, if I faxed info 4/19 and they didn't get it till 4/28 exactly where did it go in between those dates? They're not very clear with the process. In prior communication with them I was given a time frame but differing information appeared on their site. It just seems like they make it difficult for customers to enroll in an IBR plan. That is at least my experience so far.

I'd like to remind others who are young and out of college to really understand what they are signing up for. When these folks called me many, many years ago, I really didn't get it - the high interest rate and consolidation of loans. Sounded like a good option at the time. Now that I'm much older and working in a financial institution, I would have made better choices. Please be sure to educate yourselves fully on your options!

I signed for a combined subsidized and unsubsidized student loans to pay for Master Degree in 2006. The loans amount mounted to $23,500.00 at an interests rate of 5.37% for the life of the loans. 5.37% of 23,500.00 = $1,300.00 more or less. I paid $110.00 for ten years = $13,000.00. Not even one cent has been applied to principal. This is usury and plain open and in your face fraud. I called a month ago for a complete payments records from 2006 - 2016 before I Initiate legal action and nothing. This government agency or department needs to be expose to the media. They are doing the same crap to my youngest son who graduated from college two years ago. I am forward to help expose the crooks running this dept. Let me know.

I have been paying in my loans since 2011 with automatic withdrawals. They stated I would qualify for a cheaper payment. My loans have since gone up because they said I had put my loans in deferment several times over the loan. I asked them why they have reported to the credit union Experian and Equifax for the past 12 years said they weren't sure why. I asked for phone records so I could see supposedly who I was talking to and they said they could not. This company needs investigated.

This company is by far the worst Company I have ever had to deal with. They send threatening letters demanding you pay so much or else they will take further action. Will NOT work with you in arranging payments you can afford and will NOT defer your loans if you are still in school. Total rip off and you will be paying out the ** if you get a loan with this company. They need to be shut down for their practices. If I would have known all of this in the beginning I sure in heck wouldn't have gotten anything through them...

Borrowed 28K. Payments over 20 years totaled 28K plus another $7300 in interest. Lowest balance was $17000 due to 9% interest. Husband died. Lost insurance. Medical Bankruptcy. AES in PA student loans wouldn't adjust terms. Now owe $39,000 at 9%. Lost husband, my house, every cent, my credit and ability to work in some settings since federal government can take salary, social security and Medicare payments I could receive... AES ruins my life more and more every day and should pay ME damages. Unfair Lending Practices. Greed. They got their money back plus some interest. AES is the greedy evil banker Mr. Potter from It's A Wonderful Life. No wonder George Bailey felt desperate but I won't stop fighting these criminal bankers.

AES should be investigated by the federal government. They are worse than street loan sharks. Case in point my original loans were approximately $14,000. I have paid over $6500 to them and yet I currently owe close to $18,000!!!!! There is no end in sight. Who regulates this company? Nothing but complaints about them yet they are still in operation! We need a class action lawsuit. I had every intention of paying back my loans but the amounts I actually owe. They are crooks!

I am so incredibly frustrated with this business. I was quoted a monthly payment amount and told if I paid this amount for 10 years, my student loan debt would be forgiven and considered paid in full. The amount I was quoted went from $346 per month to $400 as a state government employee of 20 years. Also, when I asked that the due date be moved from the 8th of the month to after the 16th so I could afford to pay it and stop accruing late fees, they denied my request. It feels like this is designed to keep me in debt and establishing bad credit. I have worked as a mental health counselor for many years and while I make a decent wage, I can barely live off of it because of this enormous payment, no leniency or flexibility. AES is unreliable and shady.

I graduated back in 2007. Was only 17 at the time so I had no clue what I had signed myself up for. I have been paying on this private student loan since 2008. I originally took the loan out for 16,000 I've paid them at total of 18,000 and somehow owe them 20,000. My interest rate is constantly changing. Currently my interest rate is at a 10.9. I pay AES 190 a month which is interest only. I am stuck in this horrible loan that I will never get paid off. If you are planning on getting a loan through them DON'T. Worst loan company ever!!!

It doesn't seem to matter how much education we receive, whenever student loans are the only means of financing our education, we start a losing battle of postponing LIFE as we are supposed to live it. This has been my experience for many years. I borrowed one semester's worth of tuition costs in 1983 in my last semester to be able to graduate. Although I worked full time in banquets at Four Seasons Hotel, together with many other students, our GOOD pay then just didn't cover my final expenses for art supplies I needed to purchase to finish all my projects.

My situation is truly sad since I became disabled right after I graduated at age 46. I suffered trying to keep up with an 8% interest loan while unable to work many times after 10 surgeries to this day. This cloud has some very nice silver linings. I used to be called and threatened, fees added every time the companies changed ownership and my little loan turned into $10 K. I have long paid my loan, but the interest just keeps on going.

I am 73 today, a fairly good painter and I love life, but the treatment of various companies over the years has been horrid. I give AES 3 stars because they were the first to offer me help. I had to fill out a lot of paper work and collected statements from doctors to stop the harassment. I feel truly sad for the many young people forced to take out huge loans just to finance their education since there are no jobs without it. I don't think that the incoming administration has any interest in student hardships. Sorry to assume. It is unforgiving.

The complaint is about a private loan from AES where I obtained a student loan, and they insist on a co-signer. I was told when I apply for the loan the co-signer will be removed after a year which was not true, once I start repayment. I start sending payment for a year when yet they did not remove the co-signer's name. My complaint is the constant mail I received from this institution on a monthly basis, and they realize I am attending college because I notify them by mail. I have sent them a response various times making them aware I am in college and my loans are in deferments, but they ignore that fact. Furthermore, in 2015/2016 I started to send them payments when I can in a small amount of about 40.00 dollars to apply it for my current loan to keep the amount low, however, I am presently in school as a graduate student full time.

I complained to my school and they said they have sent automatic update to them making them aware I am continuously enrolled. In November 2016, they are constantly sending me information for past payment and continuously sending information about higher interest rate and also sending information to my co-signer who happens to be a retired vet which has made him very concern to why they are constantly sending these mails every month to him. In addition, they are sending letters claiming they could not debit my account for the monthly payment because I close my account, and I need to send them payment immediately with another form of payment. That was really strange because I never sent an agreement for debit payment, and they contact the co-signer claiming of miss payments, and he needs to make the payment.

I was absolutely horrified how deceptive AES can be. Please contact them to explain why they are continuously sending deceptive mails and claiming I sent them a debit payment plan which is not true. Furthermore, sending negative report to the credit agencies which is affecting my credit score and in term making it difficult for me to get hired. I have been in search of a job with no success, and I think the negative report on my credit is contributing to these issues. Please help me to solve this problem. These company business practices are not honorable, and I want everyone to be aware of these underhanded practices.

I have had nothing but problems with AES. I am repaying my loans back finally after getting back on my feet and I mailed my monthly payment in prior to the due date December 2016. They are saying they never received the payment and that a late fee of over $300 is being applied to my account and being reported to the credit bureaus. I requested a complete historical trail of my loans. I am in my 50s and the way their processes work, I will never be able to pay back these loans. I am considering a class action lawsuit against them. I want an attorney to review all my loan paperwork first to ensure that I have a case. My rates have gone up without my knowledge and who else knows what they do to keep you enslaved in student debt bondage. If I can get an attorney to help me, I will be sure to inform.

I have paid on time, I am paid ahead on my loan. Originally I had a co-signer on my loan. My co-signer, a relative, committed suicide in a different state and under horrible circumstances. The company continues to pester me and threaten to call my loan due if I do not provide contact information for my co-signer. I am unable to get a death certificate for this person because I am not a first degree relative. I have told the company that. They call, email and send letters constantly. I have been told that they will force me to pay my entire loan if I don't take care of this. No customer service at all. They are getting their money but that's not enough. They want to drive me insane as well. I wish we had the option to refinance and take our business elsewhere.

I have been paying my student loans since 2010. My interest rate has went up 3 times. I borrowed 30,000 and once it is all said and done and paid off I will pay back over 80,000. This is absolutely ridiculous. I have tried to talk to someone several times regarding options that are available and I am told there are none. I feel I am stuck and if I knew what I was getting myself into I would never use a private lender. I would NEVER recommend AES to anyone.

I have had my account with AES since I graduated with my masters degree in 2007. Throughout the time, they have offered absolutely no flexibility or offered any options to help me when I was struggling to find employment or through financial hardships. I tried working with several customer service representatives and was treated like garbage for trying to make payments. Their tone was one of annoyance and I felt like I was bothering them by contacting them proactively and trying to work out other options to be responsible and pay what I can. More than once I was told that the only way that they would be able to "work with me" is if I stopped making payments. I have never been advised by any other loan company to not pay. I find that to be terribly bad advice; I asked to speak with a supervisor and was told the same thing. Some company philosophy!!

When I inquired about making partial payments, I was told, will not satisfy their requirement, and I was told that they will charge me late fees for every month I was unable to make payments in full and get my account into good standing. They also jack up the interest rates on my loans annually, to the maximum amount that they can even though I have made my payments on time as often as possible. In sum, I have never worked with a loan provider that had such bad customer service and poor business practices. Throughout the time that they have been my loan provider, I have felt punished for making payments on time.

I participate in an Education Debt Repayment Program (EDRP) through my employer and am required to demonstrate proof of the amount I have paid to AES during the calendar year in order to get reimbursed for the loan payments. Every October for the past 5 years I have been forced to submit several iterations of the same EDRP lender verification form and hound the customer service representatives over the phone to provide this verification, which invariably takes several weeks. This year I again submitted the same form over the course of one month no fewer than 3 different times and have spent a total of 1.5 hours on the phone trying to accomplish the simple feat of getting a dollar amount and signature on a form.

Last week I was assured by one of their representatives that the completed form was "in the US mail" and was told that they would also be faxing the form to me in up to 2 business days. One week has passed since this conversation and I have yet to receive anything. I am now being called upon by my employer to produce this verification and am unfortunately challenged to find someone in this company that will have any interest in responding to my simple request. I would assign this experience a zero or less if that integer was available.

A couple months ago I decided since I had the money to do so, I would finish paying off the rest of my loan instead of continuing to make payments with a growing interest. My mom and I called about it and asked how I should go about it. We were told the exact amount I owed that specific day but I should pay a little bit extra to account for interest. We were told if I overpaid I would get a refund.

A few days later I check my AES account and realize it's still showing a balance. My mom and I call again, and we're told the balance means I'm owed a refund. I waited two months for this refund and still nothing. A few days ago I checked my AES account again and now it says the balance is $0.00. I sent an email but then I called again, and I'm told this was processed on 9/16/2016 but it takes 30 to 60 days to process. I got a reply to my email a few days ago though saying there is NO GUARANTEE that I will get my refund "now that the balance has been written off." I did everything they told me to do and followed all the rules, and now they're denying me money that is rightfully mine? I feel like I've been lied to and stolen from.

We were scammed into a student loan that was not a accredited institution so we cannot write off the interest. This loans is so bad I owe more than the interest I paid that I been paying for about 10 years now. This is like doing business with the cartel with what they are taking in interest. This loan sucks and I need to get out. Something should be done about the business going on here sucking the life out of people and their children.

I was a victim of identity theft and they clean out my account. My bank had to put a temporary stop for all transaction. So, my direct debit for AES got rejected and I was hit with a late fee. I asked them to reverse this due to this incident but they said no. What a heartless, unforgiving company! I was never late once in my payment for 10 years! I regret doing business with this company. They should be ashamed of themselves.

I recently refinanced my loans through another institution. My new lender overpaid on August 2, 2016. I was never late with a payment. I contacted AES to see when my over payment would be refunded. AES's response: 30 DAYS!!! 30 days from 8/2 is 9/1. Here it is 9/6 and I still have a credit balance. BE VERY EXACT WHEN YOU PAYOFF YOUR LOANS WITH THIS ORGANIZATION OR YOU WILL WAIT A LONG TIME FOR YOUR REFUND.

I wish I had read the reviews before I cosigned for my daughter. Her loan was paid in full in October of 2014 and I am getting letters and phone calls from AES every other week. AES is a JOKE and their right hand does not know what their left hand is doing. Steer clear of this company if at all possible!

I called this morning regarding letter received in mail from FSB Education in regards to debt consolidation. I was asking several questions to representative regarding interest they charge and for how long? How long will this loan be for etc? The rep stated, I sounded confused. I advised her this is a major decision and would like to educate myself prior to signing up. This rep stated, I would not be eligible candidate since, I do not believe in what they are doing - then she disconnected the line.

I was very upset and a Bryan picked up and stated he was the manager, and that her name was Miss **. Bryan told me that she stated, they were frauds. I asked him to pull the call, and the recording would show she is a liar. Bryan stated they do not record calls, and that only when you sign up they record calls. THIS is a SCAM. BRYAN is UNPROFESSIONAL such as Ms. **.

American Education Services Company Profile