American Education Services

Compare Student Loans

Research top Student Loans recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I participate in an Education Debt Repayment Program (EDRP) through my employer and am required to demonstrate proof of the amount I have paid to AES during the calendar year in order to get reimbursed for the loan payments. Every October for the past 5 years I have been forced to submit several iterations of the same EDRP lender verification form and hound the customer service representatives over the phone to provide this verification, which invariably takes several weeks. This year I again submitted the same form over the course of one month no fewer than 3 different times and have spent a total of 1.5 hours on the phone trying to accomplish the simple feat of getting a dollar amount and signature on a form.

Last week I was assured by one of their representatives that the completed form was "in the US mail" and was told that they would also be faxing the form to me in up to 2 business days. One week has passed since this conversation and I have yet to receive anything. I am now being called upon by my employer to produce this verification and am unfortunately challenged to find someone in this company that will have any interest in responding to my simple request. I would assign this experience a zero or less if that integer was available.

A couple months ago I decided since I had the money to do so, I would finish paying off the rest of my loan instead of continuing to make payments with a growing interest. My mom and I called about it and asked how I should go about it. We were told the exact amount I owed that specific day but I should pay a little bit extra to account for interest. We were told if I overpaid I would get a refund.

A few days later I check my AES account and realize it's still showing a balance. My mom and I call again, and we're told the balance means I'm owed a refund. I waited two months for this refund and still nothing. A few days ago I checked my AES account again and now it says the balance is $0.00. I sent an email but then I called again, and I'm told this was processed on 9/16/2016 but it takes 30 to 60 days to process. I got a reply to my email a few days ago though saying there is NO GUARANTEE that I will get my refund "now that the balance has been written off." I did everything they told me to do and followed all the rules, and now they're denying me money that is rightfully mine? I feel like I've been lied to and stolen from.

We were scammed into a student loan that was not a accredited institution so we cannot write off the interest. This loans is so bad I owe more than the interest I paid that I been paying for about 10 years now. This is like doing business with the cartel with what they are taking in interest. This loan sucks and I need to get out. Something should be done about the business going on here sucking the life out of people and their children.

I was a victim of identity theft and they clean out my account. My bank had to put a temporary stop for all transaction. So, my direct debit for AES got rejected and I was hit with a late fee. I asked them to reverse this due to this incident but they said no. What a heartless, unforgiving company! I was never late once in my payment for 10 years! I regret doing business with this company. They should be ashamed of themselves.

I recently refinanced my loans through another institution. My new lender overpaid on August 2, 2016. I was never late with a payment. I contacted AES to see when my over payment would be refunded. AES's response: 30 DAYS!!! 30 days from 8/2 is 9/1. Here it is 9/6 and I still have a credit balance. BE VERY EXACT WHEN YOU PAYOFF YOUR LOANS WITH THIS ORGANIZATION OR YOU WILL WAIT A LONG TIME FOR YOUR REFUND.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Education Services?

I wish I had read the reviews before I cosigned for my daughter. Her loan was paid in full in October of 2014 and I am getting letters and phone calls from AES every other week. AES is a JOKE and their right hand does not know what their left hand is doing. Steer clear of this company if at all possible!

I called this morning regarding letter received in mail from FSB Education in regards to debt consolidation. I was asking several questions to representative regarding interest they charge and for how long? How long will this loan be for etc? The rep stated, I sounded confused. I advised her this is a major decision and would like to educate myself prior to signing up. This rep stated, I would not be eligible candidate since, I do not believe in what they are doing - then she disconnected the line.

I was very upset and a Bryan picked up and stated he was the manager, and that her name was Miss **. Bryan told me that she stated, they were frauds. I asked him to pull the call, and the recording would show she is a liar. Bryan stated they do not record calls, and that only when you sign up they record calls. THIS is a SCAM. BRYAN is UNPROFESSIONAL such as Ms. **.

I have been dealing with AES for 10 years over a huge college debt that I struggle making payments every month. I have literally called them every year to reduce my payments due to little or no income coming in and raising 4 small children. They refuse to cooperate and do not hesitate to tell you that the full payment has to be made every month. Since these are not federal loans; the government cannot help me. Shame on them!! Come on Washington... What/when are you going to help the poor/middle class past graduates that are trying to survive in this world and build a future when we can't get help with private loans we took out for college. Do you know I have a family of 6, can't buy a house and struggle every month feeding my kids. But AES wants their money first.

Please someone out there file a class action lawsuit against AES. If I had the resources and time to do it I would myself but I would be eager to help any attorney build one against this company. Let's stand up for our rights and pursue this right now. Close down AES for not opening up or improving a/or any program to help graduates live comfortable in today's world with their family.

I consolidated my student loans with my ex husband in 2003. The loan was purchased by SunTrust in 2011 and is being serviced by AES. We are in the process of trying to pay the loan off but I have felt for some time that the balance doesn't seem correct. He paid a large portion of the balance last week (thinking this would be the amount relative to what he borrowed since the balance is not going down despite timely, monthly payments- for years) and the remaining balance is greater than the amount I borrowed.

I called to talk to them about the remaining balance and they wouldn't speak to me because they did not have my birth date on file. They had me email my driver's license to confirm my identity and said it could take 48 hours to get the birth date entered into the computer. In the meantime, I reviewed a copy of my credit report and realized last year (after the balance was slowly decreasing every month) the balance increased by $11,961, in one month, at which point, a higher monthly payment began being made. I immediately contacted them again but they could not provide me with any information because of the birth date issue. So, of course, that left calling today because of the holiday and waiting for the birth date to be applied.

Phones have been down all day for "maintenance" and of course the recording said they are closed and to call back during normal business hours. That was at 4pm EST. This company is a scam and if anyone has any details about a class action lawsuit, I would be grateful to be obtain more information. Customer service has been horrible and the only thing they focus on any time you call is that the loans were consolidated. After reading similar reviews, I do not know how they are getting away with this. Next stop, filing a CFPB complaint.

This company purchased my Chase student loan about a year ago. Ever since that time the loan has been a nightmare to deal with. Most recently, I called to ask when they report to the 3 credit bureaus? I was told by the first rep that she didn't know and couldn't find out. When I asked to speak to a supervisor, the rep took offense and asked why. And then placed me on hold for 10 minutes before I hung up. When I called back I spoke to a rep that flat out lied and told me that Chase reports the information to the bureaus, not AES. So I called Chase, who gave me the number for AES and told me that they are responsible for reporting.

So I called AES a third time and got the same rep who told me to call Chase. She finally did her job and checked on it. She was instructed not to divulge the information. So told her that I didn't need to know the actual day. I just needed to be sure that if I made a payment that day, it would be processed in time to be reported to the credit bureaus. The reason I asked this is because it takes AES 3 to 5 days to process payments and I needed to make sure that I would be able to pay my bill before they report. When I explained my reason, she told me that my bank held the money for 3 days. This is a flat out lie. How do I know? Because I called my bank and asked them. As well, I have loans with two other companies whose payments show up as pending on my bank account on the same or next business day.

So, you guessed it, I asked to speak to her supervisor. I spoke to a gentleman who told me that regardless of when they report to the credit bureaus, it could take the bureaus 30 to 45 days to update my information after AES reports to them. This was also a LIE. How do I know? Because I called Transunion, and Equifax and was told that credit information is updated within 48 hours of receiving the reports from creditors. Anyway, I eventually realized that I was transferred to another phone rep not a supervisor! I asked if he was a supervisor and after he lied and said yes, I asked him again and he admitted that he was not a supervisor.

So, again I asked (for the third time) to be transferred to a supervisor. And I finally (1.5 hours after my first call) was transferred to an actual supervisor. The supervisor admitted that I was given incorrect information and then told me that he could not tell me when AES reports to crediting bureaus because it is company policy. However, it was 4 days before the last day of the month and after about 15 minutes of arguing he told me that they had not yet reported to the crediting agency. Seriously? Is this even legal?

I have a parent loan through them since long. Overall experience is good but watch out if you set up automatic payment from your bank account. Once in a while some random amount is deducted from your account. It happens to me yesterday and last year too. When I called them they say they don't have the record so be careful.

AES is the worst company ever. I pay extra every month and yet the principal still hasn't gone down. Plus they are constantly calling my cosigner about payments. The customer service is horrible.

For some time now, I have been researching the private student loan market. Back in 2007-08, prior to becoming totally, permanently disabled in January of 2009, I was rushing to finish up secondary graduate degree, but my health was failing, and when I was within one term of graduating, I just could not handle it, or my job either. My employer gave me some options: they could lay me off to allow me to seek employment elsewhere, or allow me to apply for in-company positions that would not cause me as much stress as the job I did have was causing, or they would allow me to go on six months of company paid disability, allowing me time to heal or to determine whether or not it was time for me to consider ending my career life permanently, as I had been working with my disability issues for about two decades by that point.

I decided my best option would be to accept the six months of paid disability in order to remove myself from as many of the stressors that affected my PTSD condition as possible, and just play it by ear. Before long, working with my psychiatrist, we determined that my best course of action would be to apply for Social Security Disability Benefits. This, I did. I handled all of the paperwork process for disability application myself, with the help of my psychiatrist, although it was extremely stressing. All the same, both my psychiatrist and I evidently handled things correctly because the Social Security Administration was able to approve my disability application request within 4 months of my having submitted it. That was sheer luck, because my disability benefits began the same month my company sponsored disability benefits ceased.

Being new to living on a very much lower income (a year 30% of my job income), it did take some time getting used to this change in fortunes, and by 2010, my husband and I knew we would need to petition for a Chapter 7 bankruptcy. That went smoothly, and our bankruptcy discharge was granted in February of 2011. I did not need to worry about my outstanding Federal Student Loan debt, because the Department of Education forgave my balance in full with very little issue. However, our bankruptcy lawyer, back in 2010, was very reluctant to attempt to bring discharge of my private student loans. It was really poor judgment on my part to have taken out those private student loans in the first place, because I still had enough Federal Aid left to have used that instead of going for the private type of student loans.

What did win me over in trying to decide how to fund the remainder of the expenses associated with obtaining my second grad degree involved several considerations. First, word was out that Federal Student Loan interest rates would be going up to something over 6%, and because of our then very good credit, I could obtain these private student loans for 4% interest rate. I had worked out a budget for paying off these loans, and determined that I could do so in five years, which would be five years before my normal expected retirement date.

Plus, these particular private student loans advertised being able to send the loan fund proceeds directly to me, at my home address, rather than my having to deal with the 'red tape' issues of involving what the lenders called 'the third party', the third party being my university of attendance. Plus, these lenders advertised, they could send me a full year's loan amount (or more) all at once, so that if I found I needed to replace a computer or etc., I wouldn't have to petition my school to release the funds I would need in order to make such a purchase. I found that appealing, because I could imagine having a computer go dead, and missing online courses and assignments while awaiting a release of funds that would allow me to replace my now dead computer. This too seemed convenient.

Further, these lenders advertised that with these private student loans, I would be totally free to determine how to apply the loan funds as needed. All this seemed so appealing and positive. That is, until the unthinkable and unexpected happened and my health took a sudden dive causing me to be unable to either effectively perform my job, or effectively complete my graduate coursework any longer. After leaving both my job and the educational institution at which I was within one quarter of graduating, I fell into an even deeper state of depression for a number of years.

When I began receiving calls from the private student loan lenders, I explained my situation and was given about three years of forbearance during which time I did not need to make any payments at all. What I did not realize in my reduced mental state was that during all that time, interest continued to accrue on the loans. What had been a $10,000 loan debt became a $14,000 loan debt, and so on. These lenders got into the habit, once this forbearance period had passed, but my income certainly hadn't increased to the point where I could afford loan payments, of calling me several times a day, every day of the week, including Saturdays and Sundays, starting at 8 AM, and calling over and over until 9 PM day after day.

I would at first answer the calls, only to be told never mind I'd become disabled. I had taken out these loans, hadn't I, and now I needed to repay them. I would reply with the question "With what do you expect me to repay these loans? I do not have the funds, nor do I any longer have any property on which liens can be placed in order for you to obtain repayment should I sell said property."

You see, our bankruptcy lawyer had been able to arrange our remaining in our home, continuing to make monthly mortgage payments on our home, but he did not have us sign a reaffirmation of debt on our home. Evidently, in my discussions of this issue with both our lawyer and our mortgage holder, what this means is that if we do pay off our mortgage debt, the home is ours, but if we do not or cannot continue our mortgage payments, we are free to walk away from the property without owing anything to the mortgage holder. This, our lawyer told us, would place us in the best position possible to prevent remaining lenders from placing liens on our property, and should we find the mortgage expense untenable, we would also be free to walk away without incurring a foreclosure cost or record of foreclosure on our credit reports.

Soon thereafter, the private student loan lenders ceased their never ending calls to us. Except for Sallie Mae. I had written to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau to complain about Sallie Mae's ceaseless calling, and the CFPB was able to force Sallie Mae to send me paperwork to complete about my disability that Sallie Mae could submit to its insurance company for a disability determination status. Curiously, when I had enquired of Sallie Mae earlier about this possibility, I was simply told they did not offer any means of disability related debt discharge.

So I completed and submitted the paperwork received from Sallie Mae, to their lender, Minnesota Life, and after several months, received a response that Minnesota Life agreed I was too disabled to continue responsibility for loan repayment. The catch to this was that the full responsibility for repayment of the loan now fall entirely on my co-signer, who is my husband. Since my husband and I have joint incomes and joint living arrangements, the outcome of only removing my responsibility for loan repayment did us little good.

This was when I began looking into whether or not others were experiencing similar problems, and in my research, I came across a rather lengthy document authored by the head of the company called Finaid.org. That company exists, I understand, to provide advice to students about the world of student loans, and indeed its website does provide a great deal of helpful information for students in order to guide them through the universe of student loans. One particular document, as stated, authored by the head of Finaid.org really caught my attention. It is titled "Limitations on Exception to Discharge of Private Student Loans in Bankruptcy." This seemed to be something I needed to spend time studying, and I am very glad that I did.

My complaint, now that I have reviewed the details of that document, which cites in great detail the law regarding student loans, when loans do or do not qualify as educational loans, and most importantly, when they DO NOT qualify as educational loans, making them fully dischargeable in bankruptcy, even if that requires reopening a previous bankruptcy in order to add an adversary hearing about debts that should have, but were not, included in the discharged bankruptcy. That is where I now stand. To provide a synopsis of why I think my particular private student loans are NOT true "qualified educational loans," please allow me to cite some of the verbiage from the document.

1) BAPCPA amended the US Bankruptcy Code to include "qualified education loans" within the scope of the exception to discharge for education loans. Private student loans which are not school certified generally do not satisfy the requirements to be considered a qualified education loan." and "Private student loans that are not school certified often deliberately circumvent these requirements in order to lend money to students beyond the limits permitted by 26 USC 221 (d) (1) or for purposes not allowed by 26 USC 221 (d) (1). For example, the overaward regulations at 34 CFR 673.5 require colleges to treat the amount by which a private student loan in combination with other non-need-based loans exceeds the expected family contribution (EFC) as a resource, reducing eligibility for need-based aid.

This is my situation. As I stated previously, these lenders sent the loan fund proceeds directly to me at my home address, allowing me to deposit the loan proceeds into my personal bank account, without my university ever knowing I had received these funds. As an additional note, the last time I spoke with an AES representative about the outstanding debt I have that I have not made payment on since October, 2014, the representative said, and I quote; "But we allowed you to be able to use those loan funds any way you wanted!" I replied to this representative "And therein lies the problem, because qualified educational loans cannot be used in that manner." I have not had a repeat call from an AES rep since I provided that response nearly three months ago now.

Let me add: on another occasion, before I understood the BCAPCA student loan law as well as I do now, an AES representative contacted me, and I told him too, "I simply no longer had the means, nor did my husband to make any payments on these loans. So if you are going to issue a lawsuit, please understand, I will respond by obtaining from the court a Slow Pay Motion, and if I do that, the judge may well determine that I cannot pay." The rep responded by saying "Now, now, now, we don't have to go down that road do we?" I replied by saying it was the only road left to go down.

I have not heard again from that rep in over six months. I have to wonder whether if these lenders were called into court, and I provided the information I now have about the probability that these loans are not true student loans, that these lenders' attempts to use the new 2005 bankruptcy non-dischargeability law to apply to loans that weren't qualified educational loans at all from the onset.

2) The Higher Education Act of 1965 as specified in sections 471, 480 (j), 428 (a) (2) (C), 428H (c), 428H (d) and 443 (b) (4). Section 471 (20 U.S.C. 1087kk) defines financial need as the difference between the cost of attendance and the expected family contribution and estimated financial assistance. Most federal student aid programs are capped at financial need. Section 480 (j) (1) defines estimated financial assistance as including education loans:

For purposes of determining a student's eligibility for funds under this title, estimated financial assistance not received under this title shall include all scholarships, grants, loans, or other assistance "known to the institution at the time the determination of the student's need is made," including veterans' education benefits as defined in subsection (c), and national service educational awards or post-service benefits under title I of the National and Community Service Act of 1990 (42 U.S.C. 12571 et seq.).

Although non-school-certified loans generally do not satisfy the requirements to be considered qualified education loans, it is important to evaluate whether each individual loan satisfies those requirements on a case-by-case basis. An education loan that is not school certified could still be a qualified education loan if it did not exceed the limits of a qualified education loan "and was not disbursed for expenses outside the scope of a qualified education loan."

Here again, my university of attendance was not told of my receipt of the funds I did receive, totaling in amount close to $90,000 which is far above educational need, I have since learned, as well as having since learned that educational loans MAY NOT be used for any given expense a student deems desirable. It is UP TO THE LENDER to ensure that the school of attendance is made aware of loan disbursements.

3) Some of the more common ways in which an education loan may fail to satisfy the requirements of a qualified education loan include (abridged): Use for costs not included within the definition of cost of attendance or in excess of the expected family contribution (or cost of attendance minus aid received); Use for rental or purchase of equipment, materials or supplies that are not required by the institution; Use for purchase of a computer without obtaining an adjustment to cost of attendance from the college for the cost of the computer.

4) In order to be considered a "qualified education loan", an education loan must satisfy all of the following requirements (abridged): The debt must be "incurred solely to pay qualified higher education expenses", per 26 USC 221 (d) (1) by cross-reference from 11 USC 523 (a) (8) (B). Mixed used loans, such as credit card debt or home equity loans, are not eligible, per example 6 of 26 CFR 1.221 - 1 (e) (4). "Even education loans are not eligible if they are incurred to pay for expenses other than qualified higher education expenses"; The debt must be used to pay "qualified higher education expenses", per 26 USC 221 (d) (1) by cross-reference from 11 USC 523 (a) (8) (B). This term is defined by 26 USC 221 (d) (2) as the "cost of attendance" as defined by section 472 of the Higher Education Act of 1965 (20 USC 1087ll) as in effect on August 4, 1997, reduced by educational expenses paid certain other programs.

5) If an education loan was incurred to pay for a computer without the college approving an increase in the cost of attendance corresponding to the cost of the computer, the loan is not a qualified education loan. Likewise, if an education loan is incurred for purposes not permitted by the cost of attendance, it is not a qualified education loan. For example, equipment must be required by the institution to be considered part of the cost of attendance under section 472 (1) of the Higher Education Act of 1965. If an education loan is incurred to purchase a cell phone, iPod, calculator, camera, PDA or other equipment that is not "required of all students in the same course of study", the loan is not a qualified education loan."

6) "Thus a private student loan that is funded by a nonprofit institution should be excepted from discharge, but not a private student loan that is guaranteed or insured by a nonprofit institution." This statement is interesting because my private student loans have changed loan debt ownership several times. I no longer know who the originator of the loan was, and I've had difficulty obtaining original documentation from the lenders to this effect, making it possible that the original documentation has become lost due to the many transfers of ownership over the years since the 2007-08 loan originations. This might also be a point in favor of having these loans deemed dischargeable; but I am no expert in that area. I do know that in the case of AES, there was a corporate bankruptcy of the original lender, but whether this impacts the status of my loans is unclear to me.

7) Finally, there is the undue hardship provision allowing loan discharge. Indeed, because I lost 70% of my income when becoming disabled, my husband and I certainly did incur undue hardship circumstances. The legal verbiage is as follows: USC 523 (a) (8) allows any education loan to be subject to discharge if excepting such debt from discharge "would impose an undue hardship on the debtor and the debtor's dependents". Most court cases cite Brunner v. New York State Higher Education Services Corp. [October 14, 1987, #41, Docket 87-5013] for a definition of "undue hardship". That decision adopted the following three-part standard for undue hardship: That the debtor cannot both repay the student loan and maintain a minimal standard of living; That this situation is likely to persist for a significant portion of the repayment period of the student loans; That the debtor has made good faith efforts to repay the loans.

The only issue for me in this is that no, I am no longer attempting any good faith effort to make payment on the AES loans. Why? Because when my Federal Student Loans were formally forgiven, that caused my AES account access to be terminated, and after repeatedly complaining to AES management that I simply could not access my account any longer to make any sort of payments, I simply gave up trying to make "good faith" payments because in my opinion, AES had stopped making a "good faith" effort to provide me access to my personal loan account with them.

As for the Navient (formerly Sallie Mae loans) that shifted responsibility solely to my husband, he is doing his best to make payments, but my God, it is about killing us, given our other expenses, most notably, my medical out of pocket expenses which in this past year alone, exceeded $15,000. And now, with the outrageous cost of health insurance, along with the massive increases in copayments, we are stretched about beyond the limit to be able to make payments owed. We do not have any credit card debt. We have housing debt, medical debt, student loan debt, and vehicle payment debt.

And while I can remember how, back in the mid 90's, when I was working a job that paid me approximately the same annual income as I now receive in Social Security Benefits, and at that time we had a mortgage payment similar to what our payment is now, and we had vehicle payments, credit card payments, etc., we were nowhere near as broke month after month as we are now. In fact, back then, we could even afford meals out, and without needing a loan to do so, we were able to replace our home's entire carpeting without undue hardship.

Costs have just simply become untenable in all areas, not just these student loans, but I'd bet that if we'd had these loans back in the '90's, back when we weren't paying so much for all other typical consumer expenses and services, these loans would not have been the problem they are now. In the '90's I do not recall having to think twice or three times before deciding whether I could afford to see a doctor for a given illness or not. Back in the '90's I do not recall having to agonize over whether or not to purchase a second can of beans at Walmart. Back in the '90's we still took annual vacations. No more of any of that.

We have not been on a vacation since 2007, and we have not yet this year had a meal out even at a fast food restaurant. This notion of supply side economics is ruining Americans who are not super wealthy, and our situation is a prime example. My Social Security Benefits are $1569/mo. Off of that has to come my Medicare premiums which, where we live reduce my Social Security Benefits every month by $218/mo. How, I ask, is someone supposed to survive in the second decade of this new millennia on $1300 a month that is supposed to cover all medical copays, costs for shelter, utilities, food, gas, clothing, transportation? I mean, this is nuts!

We MUST stop giving away needed citizen majority benefits as tax breaks to the wealthy. If America's citizens cannot maintain reasonable health, reasonable living situations, reasonable healthy food, and all the rest, we as a nation will crumble under the weight of the power tripping greedy overlords who have bought and paid for the government meant to serve the people but now serves the corporations and wealthy (who fixed that little problem by getting their corporations called "people too.")

If there is a lawyer willing to take the time to review, and then is willing to see how likely my case would be to win in court without out of hand dismissing any and all student loan court cases because so few have been winnable so far (but wants to help me change that), PLEASE contact me. Oh, one other thing. In 2010, the BACPCA law was slightly revised to force private student loan lenders to HAVE to interact with a student's school before any private student loan funds could be issued. BUT... this occurred AFTER the time I took out these "alleged" student loans which, in reality, I believe or more properly defined as "direct to consumer unsecured loans" because based on the provided attachment, THIS is what these loans truly seem to be.

Thank you for allowing me to state my case and possibly help me (and maybe open the doors for others) to be done with lenders who falsely sold consumer loans as student loans in order to avoid any possibility the loans could be discharged in bankruptcy. Please, let's help average Americans for once instead of only helping the rich and powerful continue either by legal or not so legal means to continue to accrue a majority share of America's wealth.

AES is a joke. They are the worst company. I have spent almost 6 months trying to get a misplaced $100 payment from them. I have spent at least a 100 hrs on the phone with them to a bridge to nowhere. I got so pissed at these incompetent idiots that I paid all my daughter school loans off early. This should have taken 30 mins at the to clear up. DO NOT TAKE OUT ANY LOANS WITH THESE PEOPLE!!!

Absolutely the most horrible business I have ever had the pain of being shackled with. Starting 5 years ago now this business has bungled my loans to the point of destroying my credit and almost keeping me from buying a home. To begin with, my loans were set up in 7 different smaller loans instead of one large one. This would not have been a problem if they were not so inept at handling multiple loans. When I left college I was without a job and was unable to begin paying immediately so I requested a temporary deferment. This was all set up and approved. 60 days later I began getting late notices. They began calling my brother (my cosigner) and harassing him. He asked why the deferment was not set up and it seemed that they had only set it up for one of my loans, not all of them. They did this three times more, and NEVER set it up properly.

One loan went to collections and all of the others were seriously delinquent. When I finally got set up with payments (their only offer was to pay $15,000 of it and then make monthly payments, which was absurd, so I sent them a check and they cashed it, forcing them to take payments from me), they would periodically report me as late or not paying because of the original fiasco. This has gone on and off for years, with my credit being destroyed by their reckless incompetence.

As of 3 months ago I finally talked to a customer service rep who agreed to have a letter drawn up so that I could have ALL of the bad credit wiped from my credit history, and in exchange, I would pay them. Seemed simple enough and I was more than willing to make my payments (as I should). After two weeks of silence, however, I called again and was told by another loans officer that they would not do this for me, and that he could not/would not, pull up the recording of the previous conversation. I do not want to pay a company to continue ruining my credit. All I want is for them to erase the bad credit history that they created.

I let my ex husband convince me to get a loan in 2007 'cause of extra money been paying on it every month so can wouldn't work with me on changing my due date so I was always a week later. It was 30,000. It is now 2016 and 9 years later it is only 29,00.

I literally felt sick as I read the reviews. I continue to review my balance annually and it barely goes down. I often thought I will never pay it down. I have not done the math but I guess the advertised 4.25% interest is questionable.

In 2003 I took out a student loan for $6400. I have been making payments of $100 every month since I finished school in 2005. I now owe $11,345 on this loan due to my interest rate being increased over time. I attempt to call for information and I am threatened and laughed at. How is this company still in business??!

Violated my privacy and sent a letter to my cosigner about my BK. I am current on my private student loan, it's none of their business to send a letter of my status whatsoever and paying them every month. Does anyone know any attorney. They have to be sued no matter what. They are real rude and nasty when I call them.

Something has to be done about the AES. I got divorced because of these morons. I am only working part time due to my disability. I have to pay close to 40000$. I don't mind paying an attorney for the above matter. If anyone knows one please let me know. I recently lost my father who died of cancer, have responsibility to take care of my family after he passed away. I begged them so many times of my situation for forbearance or lower payment. Their unique answer is "None." I am so down and drained everyday and had to file BK. Any attorney reading this can contact me.

This company bought the consolidation loan that we created to pay off my son's student loans. I have been paying 420.00 a month for almost 10 years. I have been paying this note at an 8% interest rate and the principal has only dropped 8,000 dollars in 10 years. To make matters worse, I have been paying this note on the 24th to 27th of every month and have not missed any payments. The note is due on the 15th of every month and I called several years ago to get the due date changed and was told that as long as I paid before the 29th of each month there would not be a late fee added to the account.

Today I noticed that there is an additional interest accrued of over 370.00 and am being told this is late fees and it shows my account in default. When trying to talk with them about why this is happening, they are very rude and have told me they won't do anything to change the due date until I pay them this 370.00. They are ripping us off and strong arming us and like I said I have paid this note religiously every month for 10 years. What a sorry company they are. I wish someone would sue this ripoff company. This can't be legal.

Don't start your life in debt. AES will create so much stress and financial make life hard for years. An original loan of $17K been paying just under 10 years around $100/mo and now owe $19K. That is on just one of my loans. If it was anyone institution it would be illegal and considered a loan shark. My principal is only ever max $20 and sometimes less. The American Government is ripping off students and it is immoral and greedy. Save for college before you go, that is the smartest decision.

I have had this loan since 2008, been paying on it on time ever since then. This is the most corrupt institution I have ever seen. How is this still an option for students? I opened it for $10500 8 years ago now and my current principal is roughly $10300. How the hell is that possible? I just dropped a few thousand on the loan, let's see if it goes down. Any advice or help?

Irreversible spousal consolidation loan. Can't pay monthly payment that has now doubled. :( They don't work with you and tried to forbear and reduced monthly payment amount but they don't take into consideration salary. This loan keeps getting bigger and bigger and can't afford monthly payment, literally ruining my credit. How are they allowing this to happen to the average person just trying to survive. So much for college. Looking back, it ruined my entire future for owning a house. I am praying for a miracle that the government will eventually STOP this company. This is out of control!!! I'm devastated and so stressed.

THE WORST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE!!! I consolidated approximately $16,000 worth of loans in 1996. 5 years later, I still owe approximately $21,000. This company is basically raping students and I'm not sure why they have not been shut down!!!

Does anyone know if there is any kind of action against AES. I have been paying for 10 years, but recently I made huge payments to pay ahead for the next few years, then I was transferred to ReliaMax, and lost all my pay ahead months. I started with 40K still have 25K. Now that I see all these reviews I have requested a payment history to review. I never had a problem that I knew of with payments but my balance never went down. I just had accepted the $200 payment as life I guess. If anyone has any information on a lawsuit let me know. Now I have a $160 payment with a new company for another 25 years.

I unfortunately have tried to pay off my student debt since 2008. I've been responsible. Never missed a payment. I even used an $8,000.00 sign on bonus in 2008 and still have not put a dent in the balance. The interest is a joke. They send massive bills and will not work with you to decrease them. They are using the interest to make tons of money with no cares about the consumers. The call representatives treat you like trash and make everything so confusing or just read to you a list of threats. If you default, AES should be investigated. They are useless.

Get in touch with Great Lakes Borrower. They have been nothing but wonderful. They give you affordable monthly payments with low interest. I am trying to figure out how to get rid of AES but they are so crooked I can never get ahead or they lie and say you didn't make a payment. With the amount of interest I'm paying I could have paid for two bachelors and a masters. I'm paying for a two year degree from 2008! It's a scam. They are awful!

I co-signed a student loan with this company back in 2007 for approximately $6,703.91. 9 years later it's almost paid off (ripped off). The loan was deferred for a short period of time. I also received late notices during this time. Apparently the interest was also building up at the same time. However, at times the current balance barely changed after making a payment. As of today, 03/01/16 on the balance overview page it shows my remaining balance with an unpaid interest of $12.37. But when it shows my last payment (Feb. 2016) it shows interest paid $16.40. At times the unpaid interest appears to go up as my balance goes down. So this is where it's confusing throughout the period of this loan. Bottomline is, I would never recommend this company (Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency, aka; American Education Services) to anyone!

They do not give you information in a timely manner. They have sent bills postmarked one day before they were due then slammed the loan in "delinquency" because it was late for the first time! And it was their fault!!! Postmarked the 6th due 7th REALLY!! They have horrible customer service and are rude!

I have had the unfortunate pleasure of being a customer of AES for about 5 years now. It is one thing after another with this company. When you login to your account, even though you are entering the correct password it will ask a security question. Even though you set the security question it tells you that you are wrong and then locks the account. You have no option to reset your password, except to call and speak to them. The people you talk to have no clue what they are talking about.

We were tired of dealing with them so we called and set up automatic payments. They then took out double payments. When we called the person said, "You need to go online and change the auto pay." When we told the person they did it over the phone, they laughed and said that is impossible even though they did. We went online and attempted to change the auto pay and it would not let us. We then called the 3rd time and the person said you have to download paperwork and send it in. Again, we told the person this is the 3rd time we spoke to someone about this and received different answers each time. They stated that is has always been this way. As I have brought this up to friends and family who has student loans through AES they have all said the same thing. What a joke! IF YOU HAVE AN OPTION DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH AMERICAN EDUCATION SERVICES.

Fair Warning... Don't use this company for student loans. I have a 4.75% student loan with them, and have been paying for several years. I've paid faithfully, and never had a late payment. After crunching all the numbers for 2015, my actual interest rate was 32%. The company had NO way to explain this, whatsoever, other than repeatedly telling me the "interest accrues daily". This is all perfectly legal, but will cost you THOUSANDS toward your student loan. Stay far away from this company.

Expert Review

Barbara FriedbergPersonal Finance Contributing Editor

Barbara Friedberg, MBA, MS is a former investment portfolio manager with decades of financial experience. Friedberg taught Finance and Investments at several universities. Her work has been featured in U.S. News & World Report, Investopedia, Yahoo!Finance and many more publications.    More about Barbara→

Established by the Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency, AES guarantees and services a variety of Federal family education loan and private student loan programs.  The company’s companion websites offer additional loan and money management related services.

• PHEAA: This AES companion website offers college planning services. College guidance help includes college fairs and financial aid assistance. Additionally, there’s information about the Pennsylvania state grant program, work-study employment, military, loan forgiveness and scholarships.
  • Repayment options: AES offers five repayment plans; standard, graduated, income-sensitive, income-based and 25-year extended.
  • Military benefits: Special services for the military and their families include the Pennsylvania state grant program, national guard and veterans’ educational benefits.
  • Companion websites: The AES umbrella includes 5 websites to help consumers understand college funding choices, especially grants, scholarships and repayment programs.
  • Best for This site is geared towards Pennsylvania residents looking for grants and scholarships, although their educational information and military components may guide other students here.

Compare Student Loans