2.0/5 (494 ratings)

About American Education Services

American Education Services Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Education Services?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2022

Hi, AES is refusing to honor my application for consolidation that I filed online at ** on September 5th, 2022. According to their OWN website, if I file this consolidation application before the end of October 2022 I qualify for direct loan consolidation and cares act benefits and PSFL and IDR count adjustments. I am already in the public service loan forgiveness program and the IDR program. I qualify yet they are refusing to process my consolidation application.

I also qualify for the one time federal forgiveness of $10K for my commercially held FFELP student loans if I apply for consolidation before September 29th, 2022 according to THEIR OWN website FAQ. I did. I applied on September 5th, 2022. They also arbitrarily applied a fraudulent “in school” forbearance to both my loans during the consolidation process. I am 50 years old. I took out the loans in 2005. I did not apply for this nor am I am in school. This was fraudulently applied. I did not request this AT ALL. I have filed compliant after complaint and they deny my consolation application and tell me I don’t qualify when I clearly do. They are breaking federal law and committing fraud.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2022

My loans were assumed by AES from Brazos (I had no choice) well over a decade ago. Since I graduated in 2002, I have repaid over $50k. And yet, somehow my principal balance (which began at around $80k) has somehow gone UP (!) since this all began. They have never been able to sufficiently explain HOW this is possible. I even appealed to the ombudsman. There is clearly something "fishy" going on. I can't believe that I'm likely going to die with my student loans and AES will probably then just try to pursue my poor children. And now, to rub salt in the wound, I won't even be able to take advantage of Biden's $10k student loan forgiveness program because my formerly Federal loans are no longer held directly by the government. Who knew consolidating your loans would turn out to be such a grave mistake in the end?

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 5, 2022

They blatantly lied to an old widow and put her in a position I was forced to take over the note to protect her. These people are scum. I hope you never do business with them. They will lie. They cheat. They are frauds and I hope you stay as far away as you can. God bless. This review is as honest as civility will allow.

Original review: June 30, 2022

They call me at work all the time, when I tell them not to, and they ask for me to call them back, but getting a hold of a person take 5+ minutes. Why do they get to call my direct line, but I get put on hold. They have no payment plans. Just 2-5 months of no payments, but when it starts back up it's more expensive. Much better places to use than this ** company.

Original review: June 27, 2022

Was just told that my balance is 82k on an 80k loan that I have been paying on for well over 10 years. They just informed me that my payment is going up now. What?! Paid almost 60k on an 80k balance and my balance hasn't moved in over 10 years w/ no deferment. Can we get a class action lawsuit together?

Original review: March 11, 2022

Avoid AES at all cost and avoid MEFA loans because they use AES to manage the loan after closing. Two daughters and 5 years of dealing with the mind numbing incompetence, frustration, hours of my life I will never get back. I could literally type for an hour citing dozens of examples, but the truth is every single time I ever had to call or have them do something it was a nightmare. We just refinanced with a different company and can not be happier to be finally free from the worst company I have ever had to deal with and now that my son is going to college, we will not even think of using MEFA or any company that pawns of the loans to AES.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2022

I found in January that my loans were due. I assumed because I finished school that I had grace period. That was not the case. Not only were loans not on hold under the Cares Act, I wasn't given a grace period because you only get one per the life of the loan. So fast forward I re up my IDR. AES said it would take 7-14 business days (it took everyone else 3 days) however the minute I made a payment, the IDR was improved. Not cool.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2022

In 2021, I ran into financial trouble because I no longer had a job so I called AES to get a deferment on my student loan. I was advised by a representative there that my deferment was accepted and would be between 6-8 months which I thought at the time was generous. Recently, upon trying to login to my online account I could not gain access so I called. Not only was I put on hold but was given the run around because I am a Canadian and don’t have a Social Security Number. I was then informed that my account is now in default and AES no longer handles my loan.

Received absolutely no calls, emails or letters informing me that my deferment period ended, so now I’m stuck not knowing what to do and possibly bad credit because of AES. Also no correspondence from any company who took over. Payment department has lost numerous payments from me in the past and have also applied my payments to wrong accounts. Such a mess and if you go to school in the U.S., do not, I repeat do not get a loan through this company! No help to the consumer whatsoever.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2022

Tried to lower my payments...and make no mistake I give them what I can in monetary money. But they keep bloodsucking me... They loved me when I gave them more money... Automated phone operator sounds like Hugh Hefner on his death bed. Live phone operators are super sweet and apologetic, they can't help you and legit apologize for the loan you are locked into.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2021

I have Never heard of a loan company reporting a customer to the credit unions for paying too much/too early on their loan? Yes, it's true, confirmed by phone. So here is the warning, if you can refi and get away from AES or any of their many companies Do IT. My son, I am the co-signer, paid his loan early and more than the minimum payment to help himself get out of this debt. According to AES, if you pat 5 days early or 5 days late it is considered by their guidelines and a LATE Payment!!! So my son paying in this manner for 3 years has a bad mark on his and MY credit. So now he is paying the minimum, on the effective due date, auto-drafted. The issue is now we start a new 48-month cycle to get this corrected so I can be removed as co-signing. BUT the credit marks stay. Red tape and a game for sure and AES couldn't care.

American Education Services Company Information