American Education Services

American Education Services Reviews

Stars Rating

• 100%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Education Services?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Education Services?
    Profile pic of the author.

Reviewed June 2, 2023

My experience with AES has been one of constant attrition. For context, I live in poverty and my monthly payment was unreasonable for my income. It was almost half my rent. My income has always been low, and it was sometimes $0 during some periods of unemployment due to disability. However, AES would not help calculate a different payment based on income, and would not allow me to defer my loan, even on the basis of extreme hardship during COVID-19. I simply had to go without a lot of things I needed to make these payments so my credit would not take a hit, which would make life even harder. I spoke with them and they offered no alternatives.

Fast forward through three years of this, I have somehow managed to make full payments on time every month, and I just made my last payment. My loan is finally paid in full. A few days later I logged into my account to check, and it's showing a balance of $0.03 and has listed by loan status as "delinquent." I have never been late on a payment and made my final payment in full, on time. I am currently in communication with them to resolve this, but even if they properly update my account it will not change my review. Do not do business with this servicer.

Reviewed April 25, 2023

I took out a 7k loan to pay for a semester of college in 2006. It is now 2023. I’ve made an $85 a month payment every month on time since and somehow I have only paid the balance down to 5k. I’ve paid the loan back 2 1/2 times and still nowhere close. Something seems very off about this as the interest rate is not that much. I think there is enough people who have this same issue to file a class action lawsuit. When I’ve called to inquire about this, I’ve been made to feel like I’m a terrible person for even asking. Like I’m a total inconvenience that they even have to answer the phone and look up my account. People do not use this company and for the people that are in my position. I think we move forward with class action. From the reviews, it looks like I am not the only one.

Reviewed March 10, 2023

I called to discuss my personal account, and I was provided -what seemed like- purely ‘scripted’ information spoken ‘at’ me in the most flat, matter-of-fact, robotic, and rude tone and manner. Like a child. I had received correspondence from AES in the mail, and I was calling to get clarity, to better understand the information about my loans. As well as inquiring about the Biden Student Relief program and my particular financial loan circumstances. I was consistently redirected throughout the ‘conversation’ to go online as if AES (and the tone of the customer service agent) is being very inconvenienced by taking care of their customers' questions and concerns…and I should just go online for the information and not call or bother them regarding my loan account with them! I was seeking clarity and confirmation.

When the manager came on the phone after the phone-call was escalated, this person’s tone and demeanor sounded even more rude and professionally inappropriate than the first. The customer service team at American Education Services is obviously ‘burned-out’ or exhausted regarding providing acceptable, reasonable, and considerate customer service practices. No accommodations. Students or previous students are left to find answers on their own?? Super disappointing. At one time, AES’ customer service was exceptional! Not now.

Reviewed Oct. 12, 2022

Hi, AES is refusing to honor my application for consolidation that I filed online at ** on September 5th, 2022. According to their OWN website, if I file this consolidation application before the end of October 2022 I qualify for direct loan consolidation and cares act benefits and PSFL and IDR count adjustments. I am already in the public service loan forgiveness program and the IDR program. I qualify yet they are refusing to process my consolidation application.

I also qualify for the one time federal forgiveness of $10K for my commercially held FFELP student loans if I apply for consolidation before September 29th, 2022 according to THEIR OWN website FAQ. I did. I applied on September 5th, 2022. They also arbitrarily applied a fraudulent “in school” forbearance to both my loans during the consolidation process. I am 50 years old. I took out the loans in 2005. I did not apply for this nor am I am in school. This was fraudulently applied. I did not request this AT ALL. I have filed compliant after complaint and they deny my consolation application and tell me I don’t qualify when I clearly do. They are breaking federal law and committing fraud.

Reviewed Aug. 24, 2022

My loans were assumed by AES from Brazos (I had no choice) well over a decade ago. Since I graduated in 2002, I have repaid over $50k. And yet, somehow my principal balance (which began at around $80k) has somehow gone UP (!) since this all began. They have never been able to sufficiently explain HOW this is possible. I even appealed to the ombudsman. There is clearly something "fishy" going on. I can't believe that I'm likely going to die with my student loans and AES will probably then just try to pursue my poor children. And now, to rub salt in the wound, I won't even be able to take advantage of Biden's $10k student loan forgiveness program because my formerly Federal loans are no longer held directly by the government. Who knew consolidating your loans would turn out to be such a grave mistake in the end?

Reviewed July 5, 2022

They blatantly lied to an old widow and put her in a position I was forced to take over the note to protect her. These people are scum. I hope you never do business with them. They will lie. They cheat. They are frauds and I hope you stay as far away as you can. God bless. This review is as honest as civility will allow.

Reviewed June 30, 2022

They call me at work all the time, when I tell them not to, and they ask for me to call them back, but getting a hold of a person take 5+ minutes. Why do they get to call my direct line, but I get put on hold. They have no payment plans. Just 2-5 months of no payments, but when it starts back up it's more expensive. Much better places to use than this ** company.

Reviewed June 27, 2022

Was just told that my balance is 82k on an 80k loan that I have been paying on for well over 10 years. They just informed me that my payment is going up now. What?! Paid almost 60k on an 80k balance and my balance hasn't moved in over 10 years w/ no deferment. Can we get a class action lawsuit together?

Renee

I wish someone would I had been paying on my loan of $50,000.00 paid 47,000.00 and now owe over 80,000.00 absolutely ridiculous and also my payments are over $1000 a month!
    I am drowning and I see no relief

Reviewed March 11, 2022

Avoid AES at all cost and avoid MEFA loans because they use AES to manage the loan after closing. Two daughters and 5 years of dealing with the mind numbing incompetence, frustration, hours of my life I will never get back. I could literally type for an hour citing dozens of examples, but the truth is every single time I ever had to call or have them do something it was a nightmare. We just refinanced with a different company and can not be happier to be finally free from the worst company I have ever had to deal with and now that my son is going to college, we will not even think of using MEFA or any company that pawns of the loans to AES.

Reviewed Feb. 19, 2022

I found in January that my loans were due. I assumed because I finished school that I had grace period. That was not the case. Not only were loans not on hold under the Cares Act, I wasn't given a grace period because you only get one per the life of the loan. So fast forward I re up my IDR. AES said it would take 7-14 business days (it took everyone else 3 days) however the minute I made a payment, the IDR was improved. Not cool.

Reviewed Feb. 4, 2022

In 2021, I ran into financial trouble because I no longer had a job so I called AES to get a deferment on my student loan. I was advised by a representative there that my deferment was accepted and would be between 6-8 months which I thought at the time was generous. Recently, upon trying to login to my online account I could not gain access so I called. Not only was I put on hold but was given the run around because I am a Canadian and don’t have a Social Security Number. I was then informed that my account is now in default and AES no longer handles my loan.

Received absolutely no calls, emails or letters informing me that my deferment period ended, so now I’m stuck not knowing what to do and possibly bad credit because of AES. Also no correspondence from any company who took over. Payment department has lost numerous payments from me in the past and have also applied my payments to wrong accounts. Such a mess and if you go to school in the U.S., do not, I repeat do not get a loan through this company! No help to the consumer whatsoever.

Reviewed Feb. 1, 2022

Tried to lower my payments...and make no mistake I give them what I can in monetary money. But they keep bloodsucking me... They loved me when I gave them more money... Automated phone operator sounds like Hugh Hefner on his death bed. Live phone operators are super sweet and apologetic, they can't help you and legit apologize for the loan you are locked into.

Reviewed Nov. 1, 2021

I have Never heard of a loan company reporting a customer to the credit unions for paying too much/too early on their loan? Yes, it's true, confirmed by phone. So here is the warning, if you can refi and get away from AES or any of their many companies Do IT. My son, I am the co-signer, paid his loan early and more than the minimum payment to help himself get out of this debt. According to AES, if you pat 5 days early or 5 days late it is considered by their guidelines and a LATE Payment!!! So my son paying in this manner for 3 years has a bad mark on his and MY credit. So now he is paying the minimum, on the effective due date, auto-drafted. The issue is now we start a new 48-month cycle to get this corrected so I can be removed as co-signing. BUT the credit marks stay. Red tape and a game for sure and AES couldn't care.

Reviewed Oct. 23, 2021

Consolidating my loans with AES was one of the worst decisions I've ever made. I'm not complaining to get anything because I know that AES is an unethical company. I also am on track to pay off my debt in the next few years, so this isn't sour grapes. I just want to warn others to NEVER do business with AES. Here's why. At this point, I've paid over $72,000 on $93,000 worth of loans, but I still owe $72,000. How can this be?? Well, it all started back in 2009 when I applied for income-based payments because I made $20,000 that year from my two part-time jobs. The economy had tanked in Michigan and I was not able to find a full time job. The only option for staying current with my loan—according to AES—was to put the loan in forbearance.

My income continued to be about $20,000 for a few years, but all that time, AES insisted that I should have been able to make standard payments on my student loans. Even when I was homeless, AES was sure I could make standard payments, and when I said I couldn't, forbearance was the only way to stop my loan from going into default.

This year I have paid over $16,000 on my loans. Ironically, quitting my low-paying teaching job, and starting my own business, which I could have done without a degree, has given me an infusion of cash to help knock out my student loan debt. But, even though I have paid more than twice the amount that is due for the year, I can't postpone the automatic debits. I did really well earlier this year, so I paid the bulk of the $16,000 before June. I was still making payments, but I wanted to do it on my own terms. The small interest deduction for automatic debit is something I want to keep, so I don't want to stop the direct debit altogether, but I thought since I had paid so much already this year, I would have control over when the debits were withdrawn. Turns out, that's not the case. Even though the student loan payments due for the year is $6,000, and I've paid $16,000, I can't postpone the automatic debit payments.

The lawsuit that the attorney general of Massachusetts won against AES details the systemic problems borrowers have experienced with this company. These aren't mistakes. Forcing borrowers into forbearance instead of offering income-based repayment plans keeps borrowers on the hook for longer, and it ensures that they don't have access to student loan forgiveness after 20-25 years of payments. This is exactly what happened to me, so I emailed the ombudsman at AES asking for an account audit. They emailed me back to say that no additional loans had been added to the original loan. For the record, I didn't say anything about that. I asked about the $19,000 of capitalization that had been added to my loan. I wanted to know why I hadn't been eligible for an income-based payment plan. Unfortunately, that question was not answered or addressed at all in the email I received.

After sending a second email asking for clarification, I received a response that said my loans had been in forbearance from 2007-2012. I was in school in 2007 and 2008, so that's not true. I also was able to use income-based payment plan for the first six months of 2009. Was capitalization added for that time period even though I was making payments? AES sent my payment history, which doesn't answer the questions I asked. This is another reason why I'd love to have an audit of my account, but AES refuses to provide one.

In addition to dishonest business practices, AES just plain does not care about their customers. I did not see any stoppage of income during the pandemic, but SO many people were downsized or they lost their jobs. AES used a loophole to ignore the CARES Act. So, regardless of what happened to borrowers during the pandemic, they needed to pay up, or take a forbearance. Don't do business with these people. They are extremely dishonest and unethical.

Reviewed Aug. 19, 2021

When I started school in 2007 I applied for financial aid. Coming from a community college financial aid meant state aid. But, apparently with the vocational school, I was tricked into signing student loans, I was young so I didn't understand. This school had no entrance exam. The student loan that was apparently the original was Barclays something and AES bought the contract I guess. Well the interest won't stop accruing. I made my payments and had it on forbearance. I could have swore it ended in October, yet they ended it in July and I found out just today I am past due and they want almost $500, I started a chat with them and they said it ended in July, they didn't seem to care. I asked what can I do since I cannot afford it, they put what seemed like a copy and past about how I should apply for a Income driven payment. I was like ok, apparently I can no longer put it in forbearance because I did it too many times.

When it was on forbearance I paid what I could but it is never enough. 4 separate loans with their own interest is awful, I feel like it is a scam to get more money. I am not sure what to do now. I am trying to do the IDP but it needs me to mail all of this information. I explained the school closed and when I applied it was for government aid, they said, "Well we are a bank owned company." I hope they get shut down and all loans individuals have with them voided. If I could go back in time I would never have gone to that school at all and instead went to community college where it is Government based and not Bank owned.

Reviewed July 15, 2021

Just found out I'm delinquent on my loans because they don't fall under the cares act. They never sent communication letting me know. They said I happened to be ahead in payments that's why it's just showing now.

Reviewed June 28, 2021

American Education Services is robbing Americans of their hard-earned money. As others who have reviewed this company have noted, they are shady and provide no assistance to the borrower. I just recently found out that they do not fall under the Care Act, so during the pandemic, we did not get deferred interest even if they were federal loans. I have been out of college for almost 15 years and only borrowed $21,000 for school. I worked and got grants to supplement the cost. I have NEVER missed a payment on my loans or put them in forbearance and to this date, I have paid them $26,741.40 and $15K of that total is interest alone. They're saying I still owe them over $9K.

THIS IS WHAT IS WRONG WITH STUDENT LOANS IN AMERICA TODAY! There needs to be a cap on how these companies can charge interest on student loans. I would love to go back to get my master's degree, but I won't do it simply because of what I've gone through with undergrad. PLEASE SHUT THIS COMPANY DOWN!!

Reviewed March 20, 2021

I had AES loans for over 27yrs. My original loan balance was $41,989.57 and additional $3,850 for 2 courses after the Master's degree. The total amount of loans at that time was $45,839.57. By the end of year 2000 the interest amount was $19,642.72 which made my total loan amount increased to $76,098.24. I paid off several of the smaller subsidized and nonsubsidized loans over the years. As years went by, I struggled to pay off loans, no matter what I paid the interest kept going. I was told in 2000 I consolidated my loans at 8.25% which I don't remember doing. My loans were in and out of forbearance and deferment since then. Now today, my loans has increased to $108,339.29. That's $62,499.71 interest added on a 45,839.58 student loan. No matter how much I have pleaded with them over the years, they simply say, "there's nothing we could do about it". These loans are designed to destroy young people rather than help.

Reviewed Jan. 25, 2021

Probably the worse thing I ever did was refinance with this shady company. Horrible company to communicate and deal with. They dont fall under the Cares Act so of course are not offering relief during the pandemic. They are semi quasi-government and hide behind that when it comes to making mistakes or lawsuits from what I hear. I hope President Biden passes the student loan payment forgiveness soon and cancels student loans and puts all of them on the unemployment line!!!! #cancelAES Cancel student loans put AES out of business!

Reviewed Jan. 9, 2021

So I get 2 emails about my credit being delinquent on Saturday morning. I pay my bills on time. My good credit destroyed over interest that I didn’t know was due. Less than 100.00. They reported on my credit report the full amount of the loan being delinquent. Interest was apparently due. No notification by mail or email. I thought student loan interest was 0% till end of year because of Covid. I can’t even create an account online my information they have isn’t correct. Can’t talk to anybody because it’s Saturday. My daughters account showing nothing due. She doesn’t even have the loan in her name and I can’t create on online account in my name. I plan on getting a loan through my bank if I can because my credit is now ruined on Monday and plan on never dealing with with company again. Shame on our PA government for allowing this company to operate.

Reviewed Sept. 18, 2020

I sent in a cashier's check for a pay off with their name as payee my information on the memo line including my account. There is no payment on my account. They can't find it which is FUNNY bc the cashier's check cleared on the 15th yet here it is the 18th and I'm being told NOW I have to prove THEY are the ones that cashed the cashier's check made out to them. That's stealing in my book. How would anyone else cash a check made out to them??? And now I have to put in MORE work to prove it. Ridiculous!!!!

Reviewed Aug. 14, 2020

I have been tracking my payments monthly for the last year, recording what the balance was before each payment and after each payment, making the payments the same day each month, being incredibly meticulous because I know this company is cheating me out of money. I just calculated everything and called customer service to ask them what their numbers were on their end. They simply do not add up. They are telling me that I have paid several hundred dollars less than I have in both payments and in interest, however they are calculating the interest does not match up with the rates on my loans.

I called their customer service number to ask them to send me a full document explaining how my loan/payment is calculated and they said "We'll have to reach out to them" (meaning I'm not even talking to someone at the company) and "It will take 7-10 business days to send it out". I asked to speak with whoever "they" are and was transferred to another line where I was told it would take 1-2 business days to issue the same document because it has to go through their "QA process". I asked them what that meant and the guy couldn't give me an answer so I asked to speak to his supervisor.

I'm on hold listening to disco "You bring me up when I am down/Turn my life around/It'll never be the same". No my life ** won't ever be the same. I'll be paying my student loans until after I die because some greedy exec is rolling in the blood, sweat and tears of all the naive former high school students whose parents bullied them into going to the best college they could get into at 18 only to realize years after graduating and the deferrals stopped that interest continued to accrue, that buying a house would never be an option, that their credit was **, and that the company that owns their loans has absolutely zero interest in helping them get back on their feet financially. NOT EVEN IN THE MIDDLE OF A PANDEMIC WHEN ALMOST 16% OF THE COUNTRY IS UNEMPLOYED. Enough to make me want to off myself now. (Phone number is 1-800-233-0557 if anyone else needs it.)

Reviewed July 31, 2020

First, this student loan servicing company does NOT fall under the CARES Act. They are a blood-sucking bank-owned company with their own rules. Sometimes they receive what you send, sometimes they don’t. Communication is poor, to say the least, unless you are late on your payments. Then, look out, robocall calls begin. They must get commissions on that. They are not helpful in helping you during tough times either. I had cancer twice and neither time did they help me with payments. Your payments DO NOT go towards the FEFL 120 payments and you’re done stuff because they are bank-owned and considered a private loan. They still report you to them though when you miss payments which risk your wages being garnished. Do yourself a favor and JUST DON’T. Stick to Federal student loans and only borrow what you absolutely must get. Pay it off ASAP. Don’t use these ya-hoos.

Reviewed June 24, 2020

I received a forbearance from American Education Services until 7/31/2020. The interest continues to accumulate. The forbearance being offered by the federal government and PHEAA is until 9/30/2020 with the interest rate lowered to 0%. I inquired why AES is not offering the same terms. I was told that I do not have a federal loan. After some research I found that AES is owned by PHEAA. I also found that the CARES Act has a provision for student loans. I sent another email to AES. I am waiting for a reply.

Reviewed May 28, 2020

This is the absolute worst evil and corrupt organization I have ever seen. I have been paying on my sons student loan of $61,000 since 2006 and still have $38,000 left as of May 2020. I asked for assistance due to COVID and they said I could get 3 months deferred payment with interest continuing to accrue. NOW I got a letter stating they have 'renegotiated' my loan so I have to start paying all over again with interest at 5% (not the 4.75% I originally had) and instead of paying the loan off in 10 years it will be another 16 years!!! 30 years to pay off a student loan at $320 per month! And... They don't have a phone number to actually talk with someone. You can only contact them through email. if you want to join in exploring a class action lawsuit my phone is **, Mike.

Reviewed May 8, 2020

I took a loan of $20,000 back in 2003 and have pain over $40,000 on interests alone, and still owe a balance of almost $17,000. How is that possible. They keep changing the repayment terms and try so much to make it impossible for you to repay the loan. Now I looking for another loan from another source to pay off their balance and move on. I wish the government can clamp down on them and save the people. As far as I'm concerned what they are doing ought to be criminal.

Reviewed March 6, 2020

I took out loans with this company back in '07, 3 disbursements, 1 at $1,334 and 2 remaining ones at $1,333 for a total of $3,999. Up till this point I had paid $4k in interest alone, so I'm not sure how I still had a bal of over 6k due, which was not going down. I recently decided to transfer this bal over to a 0% cc to try and pay it off, and as I look at my original loans totaling $3,999 and what was paid off in principal $7,582.95 (not sure how this can be) plus interest $4,707 for a total of $12,290, I'm baffled at how this company can get away with collecting over double on such a small loan. If I knew I had a chance at winning a lawsuit and having my attorney's fees awarded, I would definitely sue them. But knowing these people they most likely have a clause on their contract that I signed that prevents me as the consumer from winning the lawsuit. Anyone looking to finance their schooling, I would stay clear from this company!

Reviewed Feb. 12, 2020

I have loans with them ranging from '03-'07 when I was in school. My original borrowed amount was about 38k, I have since paid 56k back to them with a remaining balance of 47k. They have changed my interest rates over the year, making it impossible to even make a dent in this. They are horrible and take advantage of young students. After reading some other reviews, I see this is common practice for them. There really should be a lawsuit against them because they are literally just taking your money and make it impossible to get out. I am all for paying back what I borrowed with some interest, but this is ridiculous. They are like loan sharks for students. Avoid them at all costs!!!

Profile pic of the author.

Reviewed Jan. 25, 2020

My student loans were ASSUMED by AES from Ed South in 2003. The balance was ~ $28,000.00. I pay $225.00 each month regardless of what the 'balance due / minimum payment' request is. The amount due is typically between $50.00 and $75.00. I have made this payment each month since 2003 MINUS the two years I went back for my Masters and 2 years of personal illness. Taking into account interest accruals +/- monthly payments, let's say my balance went up to $31,000.00.

2020-2003 = 17 years
    17 years - 4 years deferred status = 13 years
    13 years x 12 months per year = 156 months
    156 months x $225.00 = $35,100.00

MY BALANCE TODAY IS $22,500.00

Can someone check my math? I have a Master's degree but I cannot calculate this so that it makes sense? I filed a request for AES Treasury to evaluate... Let's see how creative they are!

Reviewed Jan. 22, 2020

I always pay early on my student loans, as soon as I get the bill. I pay the same amount every month (which they have verified numerous times is more than what I owe each month) and somehow every month I have a past due balance of $3 or $5 because "I didn't allocate where my payment should go in the system correctly."

1. I never allocate my payment. I just go in and pay what I always pay, expecting their system to allocate the payment correctly.
    2. I only get one bill every month and it is always for less than what I owe and about 2 weeks before the due date.
    3. I have never received an email letting me know I owe more money or that I have a past due amount on the account.

4. I am expected to log in multiple times throughout the month to make sure that the money I paid in was allocated correctly. Last month I went into my account 4 days before the due date and all of a sudden I owed $8 more than what I had already paid.

I reached out to the company because I was upset that they continuously try to say that I'm past due and that their system doesn't work properly to allocate the funds I'm paying in and they sent responses back accusing me of allocating funds improperly. I sent them screenshots of how I pay the bills showing them that I never allocate the funds, I just click on pay now, and they sent me a response back insinuating that I wasn't smart enough to understand how I was paying the bill.

I'm upset that they keep putting my stellar credit at risk by marking me as "past due" every month by $3 even though I overpay the bill by more than that each month. I'm upset that I contacted them, letting them know their system is broken and not working properly, and they treated me like I'm too stupid to understand how to use it properly. I'm upset that I reached out to them, asking for a credit on my bill for all the hassle, false notifications of being past due, and their incompetence in fixing their system and providing great customer service and I never received a response.

This company purposely puts their loan borrowers at risk of having negative impacts on their credit because of a faulty online payment system. Please don't do business with them if you can choose a different company. I notified them, I gave them an opportunity to fix their system, and I gave them an opportunity to make it up to me. I'm letting everyone know that if you're going through this with them, they are doing this on purpose. Causing you stress of being past due after you made a full or overpayment and putting your good credit at risk and also probably charging people late fees on past due amounts. They will never notify you, so you must sign in to your account multiple times to make sure you aren't going to get charged a fee. This is unfair to the consumer and fraudulent activity on their part.

American Education Services Company Information