1.24/5

349 Pearle Vision Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 24, 2019

Management at the Yonkers, NY location refused to provide refund after defective product caused bruising to eyes and nose. Corporate office said, “If the franchise doesn’t want to help you that’s their prerogative.” So now, no glasses, no refund, and nothing we can do. Awful.

Original review: May 9, 2019

My husband just purchased new regular glasses as well as sunglasses. Ann waited on us and was pleasant, friendly and knowledgeable. However, your computer system is beyond archaic. There are several employees in the store and only one person can access the system at a time. In error, another employee didn’t realize that Ann was processing our order and kicked her out of the system causing her to start over again.

When paying for our purchases we noticed that there was no credit card reader and our number had to be manually input. The glasses were very expensive and we were left with the impression that you are being cheap with your employees and customers. They and we deserve better. Update your systems and help the people who are making money for you.

Mary **,
**,
Cavan, Ontario L0A 1C0

Also your stores do not have e-mail for ease of being informed that your glasses are ready for pick up.

Get expert buying tips about Eyeglasses Online delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 15, 2019

The optometrist Dr. ** messed up the prescription, forgot the bifocal, got the bifocal and distance wrong. The computer glasses were pathetic. I was told to come back a week later for another exam. I did. Not one lens Dr. ** tested me on was clear. A week later, one of the pairs was "corrected" but the bifocal was not right. Mike the manager was a condescending creep who stuck his finger in my face, tried to lecture me how I "have" to wear the glasses high up on my nose (despite my having the bifocal height set to be lower on purpose), he refused to allow me to take these paid in full glasses to my car to check out if I could see the dash through the trifocal. He refused to allow me to speak to the owner. He refused to refund my money. I got up to leave, he did another hand gesture and was smirking like "haha lady now we have your money AND your glasses!"

I walked out, but said an expletive when I reached the door. A person can only take so much. I tried to talk to the owner today, Joe. He accused ME of disrupting his business and agreed to a refund. Then he said "except for the doctor fee". I said -- "But the doctor caused all of this, the prescription is still wrong" -- to which he said -- "Too bad". When you go to a doctor and they are wrong you still have to pay, then you pay again for a second opinion. He refused to contact my insurance company to reset my benefits. Then he asked if I had contacted my credit card, I said yes -- to protest this charge, so he can now tell them he is willing to do the refund -- he said, "No, I won't do that now. You will just have to wait."

With that, he started laughing out loud at me! Yes, he earned himself his own expletive and then I hung up. These jerks have now stolen $889.35 and 3 pairs of glasses, probably committed insurance fraud, and assaulted (finger in my face by Mike) and humiliated a senior citizen who is also handicapped. Find somewhere else to buy your glasses. These people are awful.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

Went for eye appointment, was told there is NO appointment, then was told, "Wait 10 minutes. Dr can squeeze you in," waited 2 hours, then asked to use bathroom, was told "It's not for public use" then "It's broken." In other words: receptionist lost my appointment, lied about bathroom and wait time. Then I bought frames, clerk misread my script, didn't offer me sale price, the next day I called unhappy with my frames, was told "no exchanges" in other words: she didn't read my script right, didn't guide me to pick correct frames, overcharged me, and told me no exchanges, ALL wrong information. It took several visits dealing ONLY with the manager to get right frames and prices. The other 2 clerks were a nightmare, uncaring, ill-trained and very rude.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I had my eye exam done there because it is close to my home, usually I use a private MD not a chain store. I was given a very brief exam in which the Eye doctor only changed the views 4 times each eye, asking me to pick the better of the two views, I kept telling her that none of the views was sharp but this one was "better". After this very quick exam she pronounced me at 20/20 and gave me a pair of contacts and ordered my glasses. I wore the contacts home and nearly got into a car accident because I could not see well enough to drive. I called back voicing my concern but nothing was done. I had a follow-up appointment scheduled about the contacts which I did not wear after making it home that first night.

I called about 10 days later to cancel that apt and was told my glasses had come in three days ago, I went and picked them up, wore them 4 days to make sure I was correct about them being the wrong prescription, I went back to the office explained that the bifocals were in the wrong place because in order to use them I have to tip my head way back because they are too low, I also explained that they were not the correct prescription because I could not see well enough with them to safely drive especially at night, the "doctor" sat me in the chair again started in the same place, turned it 4 times and pronounced me at 20/20.

I kept telling her about how they were not sharp, I could not read street signs until I was right on top of them but she got nasty and insisted that this prescription was correct, that at her store she only makes corrections to 20/20, and refused to fix them or my too low bifocals. I am positive that these glasses are NOT 20/20 because I can't see with them. Never have I had this type of problem before. I have worn glasses for 50 years, and now I've wasted my time and a lot of money and have worse eyesight then I do with my old glasses.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pearle Vision?

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I have received issues with every order placed. I kept thinking it would get better over time. They have a history with me and my family if not producing. I placed orders. They never come and then I spend the next few weeks following up until I get my order. My most recent order was placed 12-28/18 and they didn’t have a record of it. I was placed on hold for a very long time, I had to tell them the order was placed, and I don’t have my order. I am sick of paying for products that I didn't have... All I want is a refund and I will never set a foot in Pearle Vision again.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

Two weeks ago I had an eye exam and bought a new pair of glasses. No problems whatsoever with my exam. Glasses were a different issue. Due to some miscommunication what I wanted and what I received were two different things. After explaining what I wanted after my glasses first came in and paid for the difference (dickering involved) my glasses came back within a week. So far so good. If I have any more concerns Pearle Vision will know.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

An appointment was made two weeks in advance as a walk in at the Pearle Vision office located at 128 E. Little Creek Road Norfolk, Va. No question were asked about insurance coverage. The day of the appointment I was presents an information sheet for any changes. I informed the intake clerk I have a Vision plan. She called the carrier and was advised I have medicare advantage. She advised me that plan is not acceptable by them, my carrier is in the network. The charge is a $15.00 copay. They will bill the insurance, they may or may not pay. If not then I would be billed.

I asked what would be the charges. Her response was, "I don't know." I explain to her I need to be sure that the insurance will pay. Her response was, "You will know once the bill is presented." I advised, "I have a Vision plan and would rather use a service in the network that will pay." At that point her attitude and treatment toward me changed to unpleasant, she snatched my card from her desk and advised her co worker that there was no need to continue, returned my insurance card and took her seat.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

My mother needed new eyeglasses so she decided to go to Pearle Vision in Stamford, Ct. After an eye exam she was looking at frames and explained that she wanted a cheap pair of frames because her insurance only covered so much. They told her the cheapest frames were $225.00. I happened to be on the phone with her when this took place so I asked her to put the sales rep on the phone with me. The woman says the frames are very high end and that they are the cheapest they sell. I asked her much the lens would be with the bifocal and transition added and she told me the lenses would be $425.00 plus the frames. I told her she was nuts and that there are much cheaper options out there so she said to me "go and take advantage of them then if they are so much cheaper."

All said and done we went to Vision Care of Stamford and got the same glasses and frames for $245.00 total including the tax. Pearle Vision is nothing shy of a crooked shakedown operation looking for gullible people and they do indeed play all kinds of games with the prices. In my opinion you would have to be a complete idiot to patronize these crooked parasites. Not one single favorable review on this website. You have been warned.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I am very dissatisfied with my recent experience at Pearle Vision. I need to start off by saying I have been to this Pearle Vision location before and have not had any issues. I recently decided to order new glasses and went to Pearle Vision again. The salesperson Amanda ** was very persistent about me getting progressive & anti reflective lenses. I was very skeptical about doing so but Amanda told me I had nothing to worry about and if I didn’t like the Progressive lenses they could replace them with single vision lenses. But she never mentioned that we would not be eligible for a refund or price adjustment in that situation.

I ordered 2 pairs of glasses with progressive lenses and paid $1,340. These are the WORST glasses I have had in my life. The frames are fine, but I cannot see at all, at the intermediate and close range without a near-instant headache. I have been in contact and found out that there is no such thing as a refund or price adjustment. I feel like I'm being ripped off by Pearle Vision. Contacted Corporate Office - no response.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

This was 2 years back. I got my eye exam. I had a fresh prescription to start but when I bought contact lenses they gave me the same prescription for both eyes whereas it was different for both eyes. After two years now I have a cylindrical number because I have been wearing wrong lenses for 2 years. I am just so disappointed.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

We have been going to Pearle Vision for about 20 years, almost every year, but this year after my wife had her eye exam at Pearle Vision and picked out glasses and frames, they said their lab could not make her prescription lenses! The prescription was given to her by the doctor inside Pearle Vision who told us the prescription had not changed much. We asked why and asked if they could find another lab to make her prescription and they said they would have to check with a manager and would call back by Saturday, one week later! And they never called back!

My wife went to another local eyeglass place and they had no problem making the lenses, and at a much lower price than Pearle Vision. We will both NEVER go back to Pearle Vision because of their failure to help a long time customer and failure to call us back. If the other local provider had no problem making that prescription I am sure Pearle Vision could have gotten it done too if they only cared enough to do so.

Original review: July 31, 2018

I went the store at 14110 N Pennsylvania Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73134 on Friday, July 27 to get a pair of glasses using VSP benefits. The worker who I met there asked me to email my prescription, I did right away, and he said he got it. Then, he said that the VSP Insurance website is down and told me to wait. I waited there for a while. He didn't even check the computer but was just standing next to the front desk away from the computer/kiosk he used. So, I asked him how long I needed to be waiting; he said he will give me a call and then asked me my phone number. Did he call me? No! I guess the VSP insurance website is still down only in that location. Today is Tuesday, July 24. What kind of service is this? I am a little frustrated that they have my information and totally not happy with their service. Yes, I got a new pair of glasses from another place today. I am definitely not going there again!

Original review: July 20, 2018

The owner/manager of the Pearle Vision Midway - Saint Paul, MN store was very rude and disrespectful. I've always done a price match at this location with Sam's Club's price. I was trying to do the same price match yesterday as I had always done. He was very rude and was charging me $44 dollars and snapped at me that that was the price match. I showed him on my phone that the price of Sam's was only $33 dollars. He then snapped at me very rudely and said out loud in front of everyone (patients and employees) in that store "I'M NOT GOING TO GIVE YOU THAT PRICE! NO WAY!" I was quite embarrassed and mad at how he handled the situation.

Everyone in that store turned around to look at me. I have been a patient there for about 25 years and I really like Dr. **, but I will never go back there again. I don't know if this guy is a new manager to that location, because I have never seen him before, but it was disappointing at how he handled the situation. He was not very professional at all. I am not upset that he wouldn't honor the price match but more upset at his rude and unprofessional manner. I am happy to say I went to Sam's Club and purchased my contacts and is very happy with their service.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Went into Eatontown store in Dec 2017 to get multiple pairs of glasses using VSP benefits and flex spending. Printed out my VSP coverage and supplied it to worker that helped me. Advised them I wanted to pay all charges and copays today before my flex spending expired. Paid almost $500 in charges, picked up our glasses 2nd week of Jan. Received a bill in March for $57 stating VSP balance not covered. I call VSP get them on the phone with billing dept (Christy) of Pearle Vision. Pearle Vision states they use their own VSP type calculator to calculate the copays and coverage and it is not always right so this is the balance I owe and they will do nothing about it. I explained to her I wanted to pay all copay in Dec when I was there and there were multiple $25 charges on my bill that I paid. She could not tell me what these were for since they were not itemized but told me if I did not pay she would send me to collections.

She was extremely nasty and rude. My VSP representative tried explaining to her that it is the store's responsibility to enter the information correctly especially when the patient is supplying them with a written copy. Her response was not her problem. "She can pay her bill and we can be done." Very dissatisfied with the service of this company and the way they treat their customers. VSP is putting in a complaint with their company about charging customers after the purchase and the way they treated me on the phone that they were a witness to.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I've previously used Pearle Vision and thought highly of them in the past when I was using a different insurance carrier. Since then, I've changed carriers. Attempted to set up an appointment with them and discovered Pearle Vision does not accept Ambetter Insurance. This reply has put them at the bottom of my scale and I will never go to them again.

Original review: April 6, 2018

Worst place for progressive lenses... The person was so unprofessional and rude, was not ready to commit to their mistake and give me proper service... I just had progressive lenses with their frame (2340 East Lincoln Highway, Langhorne, PA). I have problem focusing with them in intermediate area of lenses. Not able to focus and read clearly on computer screen or GPS while driving. I had to go very close to screen and read it from bottom part of lenses (just like if you have bifocal lenses).

So I went back to them to fix the problem. I wind up going twice. First time there was no responsible person there and ask to me to come back again. Second time waited more than one and half hour but the person had no understanding what I was talking about. Person told me that they cannot do anything and ask me to go back to my eye doctor. I provided them old and new prescription (with very negligible difference). With my old lenses I can see better than new one! Basically they just rob me giving me bifocal lenses with outline and charge 260+ dollars. Never going there again.

Original review: March 31, 2018

3 months to get new glasses. Plus they charge retail plus an extra percentage for all frames and lens. When questioned, I was told, "I only work here. I have no answers." Save yourself time and money and go to LensCrafters. Max 3-5 days and you have eye test and new glasses. Pearle is a SCAM.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Pearle Vision, Poplar Bluff, Missouri - My husband and I went to get new glasses to find out my $600 + glasses I had previously purchased had NO PROGRESSIVE BIFOCALS. They were measured incorrectly. We were offered a $25 discount for their previous mistake. I was shocked. When I called back the following week, they offered my husband's glasses free of charge. However, the manager was extremely rude and unprofessional and I sent a complaint via email. The next call was that his glasses were ready. I told PEARLE VISION staff we would pick them up when mine (that I purchased) were in... Okay, no problem.

The next call received: HIS GLASSES WERE CANCELLED, MY GLASSES WERE CANCELLED, REFUND OF MONEY. PERIOD. I told them it was fine to cancel mine and refund MY glasses, but his were ready for pick up... NO. His are cancelled. NO ONE IS GETTING GLASSES. This is so wrong. I'm pretty sure this is not the proper way to run a company. This began February 24, 2018 and continues as of today March 14, 2018 with no resolution as I am still trying to contact Pearle Vision.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I am very unhappy with the service my family has been provided at your Pearle Vision Glen Burnie, Md location with manager, Joe, and am filing this written complaint. From day one of getting my and my husbands glasses, they have not been correct. My husbands glasses are currently still at the store trying to get them fixed for the fourth time. Regarding my experience, I was sold into buying transition lens for reading, use on the computer, and driving for near and far sight vision.

From day one, which has been almost a year, I have not been able to read with them or read using the computer. I have only been able to use them to drive. I took them back, and explained the issue within the first week of having them. I have been back five times to get this corrected. I was told to come in this evening to have the lens measure to be cut correctly.

I was immediately asked several questions about why I was there. When I explained I was there to get measured for my glasses that have been fixed. He then told me that my original prescription was from two weeks ago. He didnt even have my information correct. When I tried to explain that I have been there, this being the fifth time, in almost a year, as they cant seem to fix my glasses correctly, manager, Jo, who I've been dealing with from day one kept asking me how old I was and then proceeded to tell me that my vision has gotten worse, and that he couldnt again fix my glasses without a new eye exam. I explained that I was there to fix the glasses to get the blue tint off then, that they added by mistake a year ago then and that I am only able to see the dr again for another eye exam when my year has been up, which I told them I wouldnt be coming back to them for, as I was not happy with the service I have been provided.

I spent almost $1,000 for glasses that have never been the correct prescription from the start, and since I havent been able to wear my glasses, my vision has now gotten worse. I was given nothing but attitude, because I expressed my displeasure with the service I've been given. Then, Jo told me, "Hey we were trying to do you a favor but now we cant help." He handed me my glasses and kicked me out of the store after I asked for his card to make a complaint.

A very unhappy customer. I will never use Pearle Vision again and am reporting this issue to my Health insurance, Blue Cross Blue Shield, State of Maryland. My family and friends will also never use you either. I sent this to their customer service email address info@madisons.com And got a bounce back email that the email address doesnt exist.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

Been wearing glasses for 48 years since I was 7. This pair of Alfred Sung frames just came apart, the weld let go. It was obviously a bad weld from the factory and just let go. I have every single pair of glasses I've ever owned and take care of them. They had no interest in helping me in any way. 700 bucks down the drain. The extended warranty you pay is only for 2 years, it's now 2 years 2 months. They didn't even care to see if they could order replacements. I wear high index lenses that are 500 bucks alone and are perfectly fine.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I use to go there a lot way back when. The staff was good. The prices are so unbelievably high! In the Robinson Township store they only carry designer frames. The frames you would have chose would have been over $680 dollars. Dr Pearle started the company with great staff and very reasonable prices. If you keep this up you will lose your clients. There was no way I would buy frames that expensive. You need to readjust!!!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

I used Pearle Vision about 8 years ago in the WEM in Edmonton and then it used to be a quality branch. Apparently it's not the case anymore. I just ordered 2 pairs of glasses, not cheap at all, and had to take both of them back to fix twice for improper/poor assembly. All on top of this is the endless waiting in the miserably small store with no sitting possibility. The knowledge of the staff is very limited (spiced with poor English). Sadly I recommend avoiding this place in case you are looking to find a solution for your glasses needs.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

The customer service quality and the honesty of Pearle Vision staff shocked me. This is the branch located in Franklin Mall, TN. I went there to get new lens for my frame, which I ordered online. On the first visit, they were happily bending the frame to fit my face and they charged me over $600 for the lens. Two weeks later, I came back to pick up the glasses, the woman was not responsible, I can tell right away; she was hesitate to adjust the frame for me and telling me that if I need further adjustment I am welcome to come back anytime.

In fact, when I returned home I felt the glasses always falling down and surprisingly, now I also noted that the screws were not original; they have mismatch color compared to the frame; and they are too long that they protrude > 1 mm from the frame. Then, I decided to go back to the same store asking them to replace the screws; I was stunned that the gentleman was upset when he talked to me - in a defiant way - that is not his responsibility since he sent the frame out to fit the lens. Then I asked him, "So why don't you send the frame to that place to replace the screws since it is not my business to contact them. Even if they are not original, they must match the color and they should not protrude from the frames." He denied that request, and he asked me to contact the producers for that frame in Italy for the screws; then he offers to use a Sharpie to color the screws; I rejected his childish and unprofessional offer.

Then the lady to whom I met a few days ago showed up; I asked her to adjust the glasses for me since it kept falling on my nose; this time, her tone is different; she told me that I didn't buy the frame from them so they can't bend/adjust it since they are not responsible if it broke. So after all, they offer to cut the extended portions of the screws; and after that I noticed the frame has a scratch. Overall, I will not ever go to Pearle Vision in the future. The way they run a business is unacceptable.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

I tried to cancel my order within 24 hours. They don't let you! I realized that I was caught up in a sales pitch and wanted to cancel so I had time to do more research and try on more glasses at other locations. I called and was told NO! Other retailers and glasses stores offer free returns, free shipping, etc. Now that is good customer service. Pearle Vision doesn't care about the customer. Just their sale. Beware!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

Pearle Vision, Jacksonville Florida, Mandarin Vision Center - On July 3, 2017, I went to this store for an eye exam and to buy new eyeglasses. I presented a coupon that said “$20 off eye exam.” Regular price is $65 and with coupon should have been $45. Instead, I was charged $65. Manager Daniella ** told, "there's an extra $20 charge for retinal scanning," which I never asked for. I told her she overcharged me $20 and I wanted the “$20 off" as offered according to the coupon and she refused. She became indignant, very arrogant and called the police. Police (Jacksonville sheriff's office) told me that ** would press charges against me for trespassing if I return.

I contacted the Better Business Bureau, but they were unable to resolve my complaint because Pearle Vision is not a member of the BBB. Also, this particular location is a franchise, not corporate. I contacted corporate headquarters three times on their website to complain, but they never replied. Will never again buy eye glasses at Pearle Vision. A dishonest and unreputable company - stay away!!!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I have been going to Pearle Vision for years. No issues for glasses. I have 2 great locations near me no problem. My only issue is, when you purchase glasses if you decide within 30 days that you do not like them they only offer you a store credit. I was told I would get a 30 day money back, but was unaware of it only being a store credit. I was not unhappy with my service at all just with the policy about refunds. I wouldn't have cared if I had to pay a fee for the lenses but a refund should be allowed not just a store credit.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

Pearle Vision is no longer the same place. The optometrists are good but the glasses used to be flexible and last 20 years. They scratch now within a few months and extend. The warranty wasn't honored and they didn't reply to BBB or me. The staff also look upon the lower prices items and those who buy them as trash. They are disdainful to outright rude.

Original review: July 20, 2017

Re: Discriminatory practices -- Cultural Sensitivity. I am a 52-year-old ** male. I am writing to share my experience at your Pembroke Mall location on 7/15/2017 at approximately 7:00 pm - 7:30 pm. I was assisted by a sales representative named "Toni" while shopping for a pair of Ray-Ban sunglasses. No one else was inside the store but the two of us. She was assisting me until two other ** people entered the store. Without excusing herself, Toni turned her back to me, asked the people if they needed help, and proceeded help them -- leaving me all alone. In short, she abandoned me. She sensed my frustration and later assured me that she would take care of me. I replied noting I did not want her help after the way I was treated.

I asked for a business card which was provided by one of the ** people she decided to help. She later apologized for her behavior which I did not accept. Instead, I explained that her behavior and customer service was unprofessional and offensive. Moreover, it was "culturally insensitive." I explained that I felt she was discriminating against me based on race. She denied it and found it necessary to explain to me that it was not true because her daughter's husband was ** and she has ** grandchildren. This was an attempt to minimize her behavior, its impact, and my experience with her and the Pearle Vision store (Pembroke Mall Virginia Beach, Virginia). I believe in good customer service. Clearly, the sales representative "Toni" would benefit from some additional customer service training to include a training on cultural sensitivity. This was truly a traumatic experience for me.

Original review: July 13, 2017

After buying knock-off frames and having a prescription filled elsewhere, my daughter's glasses broke. I wanted to get another pair of frames and transition lenses for my daughter. Pearle was the only place around that could get us a new pair before we went on vacation. I thought it would take days, turns out it only took a couple hours. Now she's ready for fun in the sun.

Pearle Vision expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1961 in Savannah, GA, Pearle Vision is now one of the leading eye wear retailers in the U.S. With more than 1,000 branches across Europe and in the Middle East, Pearle Vision has also become an international name in eyewear.

• Onsite fulfillment: Pearle Vision fills almost every prescription eyeglass order using their attached fulfillment center, so wait times are minimized.

• Satisfaction guarantee: Bring back any pair of glasses within 30 days for a repair, replacement or exchange with no hassle and no explanation.

• Free adjustments: Over time, wear can cause glasses to shift, so bring them in to a Pearle Vision center for a professional adjustment. This will improve their fit and make them much more comfortable over the long run.

• Free cleaning: Even with the most careful cleaning routine, dirt and grime can build up in hard to reach places, so be sure to have glasses cleaned for free by Pearle Vision professionals.

• BOGO deals: At Pearle Vision, buy one pair of prescription glasses or sunglasses and get another pair free. Or get a pair to wear indoors as well as one for driving.

• Best for: Professionals and Contacts wearers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs