2. Education
  3. Online Colleges

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.53/5

Walden University Reviews

Original review: April 9, 2020

I completed my Doctor of Education in Higher Education Leadership in 3 1/2 years. Some may say everything is great until you start the dissertation. Many have the impression this is when things go down-hill; however, you make the rules and decide how fast you want to finish and form the direction of your study. You are now the expert in your field, and you have the tools needed to complete your program. The ones who complain are the ones who are not serious!!! If you want to graduate, you have to make tough decisions and be determined!!! It is your destiny, and you are the one in charge.

I started researching my dissertation from the day I started my program. I centered every paper around this central topic. In doing so, I was able to write my prospectus is 2-Weeks, my proposal in Month 8, my URR approval and Defense in Month 8, IRB and Survey completed in Month 9, Data Analysis and Finished Chapter 5 in Month 11, URR approval and Final Defense in Month 12, and Finally Form and Style, followed by CAO Approval in Month 12!!! You have to be dedicated and motivated... I woke up at 4 AM every morning to read journal articles and write...

When I received feedback on my manuscript, I would have it back to my committee within 24-Hours... I called my chair in Ohio when I needed guidance on content, and I would call my Methodologist (2nd committee member) in Doha, Qatar, when I needed analytical advice... I completed my Quantitative Dissertation in Education in a SINGLE YEAR!!! It is possible, but you have to drive the car... My committee was excellent, and I forced them to follow my direction but worked under their experience and expertise. However, in the end, it is My Study! I'm Published! I am working on my first Academic Journal Article, employed in Higher Education, and I am proud of My achievement! Finally, I am Proud to have My Doctorate Degree framed and nicely hung on the wall in My office at My University, where I very proudly work! Thank you, Walden University, Class of 2020!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2020

I wanted to make a review of Walden University based on my experiences with both my Masters and Doctorate degrees. The masters went without a hitch. I had some excellent instructors and completed it in a timely manner. My doctorate on the other hand seemed to be dragging out costing me time and money. This had nothing to do with Walden themselves but rather the instructor I had when going into my dissertation. She was in my opinion more worried about how long she could keep my status in the school rather than finishing the degree program. I actually then changed my chair to someone that was 100% for the students and finishing their degrees, and she helped me finally finish my PhD.

My opinion is this, you are going to find some instructors who are strictly in it for a paycheck, the longer you are made to stay in, the more they get paid. BUT then you will find those real professionals who are there to TEACH and help you attain your goals. I was very happy with my final chair for my dissertation completion. So, whatever school you think you want to attend, get some information from previous students who finished not just quit. I hope that this review will help inspire you to not look at just negative reviews but also the positive ones before making a sound decision on your education.

Get buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

I truly had a positive experience at Walden. I graduated in 2015. Since then, I have found jobs at international schools in China and Uganda easily. I enjoyed my classes at Walden, and most of the times they were challenging. It is sad to read complaints about Walden. All went well for me. I can describe my Walden experience as a big contribution to my career.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

Masters in Clinical Mental Health Counseling program is well done. Fellow students are mostly engaging and high quality. Good instructors. The only reason I gave it 4 rather than 5 stars is the academic advising department needs improvement.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

Do not waste your time, money and energy on this school. Even employers will not hire you when they see the name Walden University (online no physical location school), even they think this school is a joke. You will have their crooked fraudulent collection agency (Sunrise Credit Services, Inc,) with their unprofessional disgusting self, hound you to pieces. Also, you will be in debt for the remainder of your life. Ask yourself, "Do I really need a Doctoral degree" that bad to have to go through all of that stress and harassment? I highly recommend that you please seriously think about it and please "Don't Waste Your Time" in going there ..Thank you for listening to this valuable advice.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Walden University?

Original review: March 22, 2019

Exhilarating experience and I learned from students and professors. It was interactive great preparation for life as a researcher on the internet. however, you need be a self starter and have your own focus.

Original review: May 1, 2018

I began researching colleges online. Went by reviews from alumni and determined what college best suited my needs. I was walked through and helped through every part of the Walden University online program. Applying couldn't have been a better experience. It was really easy to go through the sign up and application process. Easier than I thought it would be. Walden University is versatile and offers many options and solutions to best suit your needs.

Original review: April 29, 2018

It is very easy to use, and easy to fit and suit you as a person and your life and schedule. It's really amazing the offerings they have and the program is better than I thought it would be. I've gotten more out of it than I thought I would. I wasn't sure how authentic an experience it would be, but it surprised me.

Original review: April 28, 2018

My experience with my online program I like it because at first I was going to school. I was there physical but I couldn't do it without two horses two kids so I really need to be home and it was better for me because at the end of the day I have two autistic kids so it's very hard for me to be anywhere else that I'm not that I cannot be. Maybe others think differently but I still get the same attention. Great school so far. Very fun. I get to be home with my kids for the mean while still go to work, help my kids with homework and be able to have hands all the time as a mom and so I pursue my career but this is a great offer. I love to school online is much better that much easier. Homework always gets done on time or before time. It is really enjoyable.

Original review: April 24, 2018

Walden University makes it very easy to work and attend school. It's really helpful to be able to do it this way. I can take my courses online when I have free time and I can also review the material easier there and be better prepared for testing. But some of the coursework doesn't load well on slower connection. It's frustrating to have to wait 5 minutes for the videos to load. Walden University is a great chance to learn at home. I've enjoyed it overall mainly because I can set my own pace and schedule.

Walden University author review by ConsumerAffairs

Walden University was established more than 45 years ago. It is a regionally accredited school that focuses on educating adults.

• Online programs: Walden's online programs are designed to fit the needs of busy adult learners by offering flexible start schedules.

• Grants, scholarships and tuition savings: Walden offers a variety of ways for adult students to save money on tuition.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team