2. Education
  3. Online Colleges

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.19/5

Walden University Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Walden University?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Walden University?

Original review: April 9, 2020

I completed my Doctor of Education in Higher Education Leadership in 3 1/2 years. Some may say everything is great until you start the dissertation. Many have the impression this is when things go down-hill; however, you make the rules and decide how fast you want to finish and form the direction of your study. You are now the expert in your field, and you have the tools needed to complete your program. The ones who complain are the ones who are not serious!!! If you want to graduate, you have to make tough decisions and be determined!!! It is your destiny, and you are the one in charge.

I started researching my dissertation from the day I started my program. I centered every paper around this central topic. In doing so, I was able to write my prospectus is 2-Weeks, my proposal in Month 8, my URR approval and Defense in Month 8, IRB and Survey completed in Month 9, Data Analysis and Finished Chapter 5 in Month 11, URR approval and Final Defense in Month 12, and Finally Form and Style, followed by CAO Approval in Month 12!!! You have to be dedicated and motivated... I woke up at 4 AM every morning to read journal articles and write...

When I received feedback on my manuscript, I would have it back to my committee within 24-Hours... I called my chair in Ohio when I needed guidance on content, and I would call my Methodologist (2nd committee member) in Doha, Qatar, when I needed analytical advice... I completed my Quantitative Dissertation in Education in a SINGLE YEAR!!! It is possible, but you have to drive the car... My committee was excellent, and I forced them to follow my direction but worked under their experience and expertise. However, in the end, it is My Study! I'm Published! I am working on my first Academic Journal Article, employed in Higher Education, and I am proud of My achievement! Finally, I am Proud to have My Doctorate Degree framed and nicely hung on the wall in My office at My University, where I very proudly work! Thank you, Walden University, Class of 2020!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2020

I wanted to make a review of Walden University based on my experiences with both my Masters and Doctorate degrees. The masters went without a hitch. I had some excellent instructors and completed it in a timely manner. My doctorate on the other hand seemed to be dragging out costing me time and money. This had nothing to do with Walden themselves but rather the instructor I had when going into my dissertation. She was in my opinion more worried about how long she could keep my status in the school rather than finishing the degree program. I actually then changed my chair to someone that was 100% for the students and finishing their degrees, and she helped me finally finish my PhD.

My opinion is this, you are going to find some instructors who are strictly in it for a paycheck, the longer you are made to stay in, the more they get paid. BUT then you will find those real professionals who are there to TEACH and help you attain your goals. I was very happy with my final chair for my dissertation completion. So, whatever school you think you want to attend, get some information from previous students who finished not just quit. I hope that this review will help inspire you to not look at just negative reviews but also the positive ones before making a sound decision on your education.

Get buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

I truly had a positive experience at Walden. I graduated in 2015. Since then, I have found jobs at international schools in China and Uganda easily. I enjoyed my classes at Walden, and most of the times they were challenging. It is sad to read complaints about Walden. All went well for me. I can describe my Walden experience as a big contribution to my career.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2019

Masters in Clinical Mental Health Counseling program is well done. Fellow students are mostly engaging and high quality. Good instructors. The only reason I gave it 4 rather than 5 stars is the academic advising department needs improvement.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

My name is Rayla ** (formerly Rayla **) and I was a previous student in Walden University's Education Doctoral Program in March 2013. In 2013 I suffered a miscarriage and was unable to continue my classes. I received a bill in December 2013 for $2,934.23 due to me dropping classes at a certain point. I was unable to pay the debt, and filed a grievance providing documentation but was denied any leniency.

Fast forward to October 2020, and I am not attempting to purchase a house and there is a recent inquiry from Sunrise Credit Services on my Experian credit report. Unbeknownst to me I did not receive any letter or notification of this new debt that has a date of June 2019. Sunrise Credit Services Manager Angel **, claims that Walden refuses to negotiate this debt.

I spoke to Britney, Jean and Jackie in the Financial Center Department that stated the account was indeed sent to collections on July 31, 2014. According to Mr. **, Walden and Sunrise Credit Services did not become affiliated until 2016. I am very upset that this recent inquiry is jeopardizing my livelihood and attempted to ask for some resolve from Walden. Instead I am transferred to the most unprofessional representative who attempted to tell me I have called too many times and that some manager will call me back. After I told her that I wanted to be transferred to someone other than her, she laughed and said "Ok Girlfriend" and placed me on hold.

Original review: June 20, 2020

I chose Walden because it was online. However, I am in the middle of my masters and they are now sending me an invoice for 2,800 for EACH class. I called them and ask them why was this class 1,000 more expensive than the others. The lady said that Walden was giving me 1,000 dlls per class but that they had already done it three times and that they will no longer do it. That from now on my classes were almost 4,000 dlls each and that this time they had helped me with 800 dlls. So I had to pay 2, 800 per class (with subsidy).

I regret that I have already done half of my masters here. Arlington University charges 1,800 for 4 classes (a semester) and it is much better school. If I had known this before going into Walden I would have chosen Arlington. Now I am STUCK because I was about to start preceptorship. Walden is not worth the money. Go someplace else. TOO EXPENSIVE!!!! DO NOT TRUST THEM because they do not tell you that classes are going to skyrocket more than 30% meanwhile you are in the program.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

Do not waste your time, money and energy on this school. Even employers will not hire you when they see the name Walden University (online no physical location school), even they think this school is a joke. You will have their crooked fraudulent collection agency (Sunrise Credit Services, Inc,) with their unprofessional disgusting self, hound you to pieces. Also, you will be in debt for the remainder of your life. Ask yourself, "Do I really need a Doctoral degree" that bad to have to go through all of that stress and harassment? I highly recommend that you please seriously think about it and please "Don't Waste Your Time" in going there ..Thank you for listening to this valuable advice.

Original review: March 22, 2019

Exhilarating experience and I learned from students and professors. It was interactive great preparation for life as a researcher on the internet. however, you need be a self starter and have your own focus.

Original review: May 1, 2018

I began researching colleges online. Went by reviews from alumni and determined what college best suited my needs. I was walked through and helped through every part of the Walden University online program. Applying couldn't have been a better experience. It was really easy to go through the sign up and application process. Easier than I thought it would be. Walden University is versatile and offers many options and solutions to best suit your needs.

Original review: April 29, 2018

It is very easy to use, and easy to fit and suit you as a person and your life and schedule. It's really amazing the offerings they have and the program is better than I thought it would be. I've gotten more out of it than I thought I would. I wasn't sure how authentic an experience it would be, but it surprised me.

Walden University author review by ConsumerAffairs

Walden University was established more than 45 years ago. It is a regionally accredited school that focuses on educating adults.

• Online programs: Walden's online programs are designed to fit the needs of busy adult learners by offering flexible start schedules.

• Grants, scholarships and tuition savings: Walden offers a variety of ways for adult students to save money on tuition.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team