4.71/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Choosing Sylvan is about getting results and setting your child up for long-term success. At Sylvan, we’re focused on building academic confidence, igniting intellectual curiosity and inspiring a love for learning — all of which make a big impact in school and in life. For nearly 40 years, we’ve helped millions of students and families like yours achieve new levels of academic success.

Sylvan Learning Centers Video
Sylvan Learning Centers Gallery (4)
View More View More

288 Sylvan Learning Centers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

One of my daughters was behind in math. So we signed her up in math and she went in the summer. Sylvan was way closer to our house than the other that we looked at. Then the other options were like group lessons and my girls didn’t wanna do that. My daughter has been going to Sylvan since July and she’s gotten 3's and 4's on the report card that just came out. So it’s what she needed to keep her up to date. Then my other daughter was a little lower too and we just joined her. We haven’t seen much improvement with her yet but they both enjoy going. It gets a little crowded at times but I don’t think Sylvan can do anything about that. I recommend them too. It’s good for the extra practice. I like that every 24 hours, Sylvan re-tests the girls. So I get to see where they’re at.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I'm from the United States, but I married a woman in Angola, Africa. We just moved to the United States with her daughter and her two nieces, and they are all teenagers. One only spoke about 10 words of English, while the other two were a little better but certainly not fluent. We brought them to the US on a foreign exchange student program. They are going to Pope John Paul II High School and we knew that they needed help, so they went to Sylvan Learning before the school year started for about four weeks, four or five hours a day, five days a week.

When school started, they were going to Sylvan for two hours per day until the first semester was finished until they got their first report cards. Two of them had 3.0-grade point averages, then one had better than that, and I knew it was because of Sylvan. They all went during the second semester for one hour per day and only four days a week, instead of the previous five. Sylvan normally doesn't help as a second language, but they did a great job.

My stepdaughter, who is now 35 years old, also went to Sylvan about 20 years ago and they were helpful. When the girls came, we had to do something and we had to get them better in English before school started. Our latest contract with Sylvan is finished, but I'm leaving the option open to go back if needed for more tutoring. I just spoke to the director, Adam, and the senior director, Sal, and they are aware that if it comes to exam time and the girls feel like they need help, we will definitely go back. It was a great experience and I've told that to many local Sylvan people. They were extremely helpful and I am extremely grateful. I definitely will recommend Sylvan.

Mike,

Thank you so much for your kind words! We are thrilled to hear that your experience was a positive one. We look forward to seeing you and your family again. Have a wonderful day!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

We were taking our son to a different school for reading but Sylvan was amazing and changed the trajectory of our son's ability to learn. Sylvan tested our son and found where he was weak. They started back at the basic. He's only eight years old and they found where he missed the step in learning and then recreated that or built on that foundation. He has been taking steps as he mastered each section to move up. They also did a combination of paperwork and computer time but his focus was on reading.

Our son has been in the program for three months now and sees a tutor twice a week. He is more willing to learn. When we drive around, he is looking for signs with words on them and reading them to me. It has been fantastic. When we went to Sylvan, he was reading at a 0.9 grade level which is the ninth month of kindergarten to the end of it. He is in second grade. After his first five sessions, he was reading at a 1.4 grade level.

It has been a gift. Where we were before, they were putting him in an extended resource room with kids with behavioral issues which he doesn't have. He was just having a hard time reading. He wasn't growing any and he wasn't developing those skills. So, we were shocked after such a short time at Sylvan how much he has progressed. Also, the environment at Sylvan is wonderful. They reward you with a point system and you buy stuff from their little store. Our son is encouraged to go there. It's a quiet and very professional environment. We're blown away with how fast and how excited he is to look for letters now and make words. It has been life-changing for us and for his confidence at school. We've already recommended Sylvan and there's another little boy in our son's class who is now attending because of our experience.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I had Jumana before and compared with Sylvan, they were both good but Sylvan was a bit more one-on-one and I managed to get more attention. Sylvan did great in helping me. We worked on Math and the tutor was very detailed, thoughtful and patient. There's a place outside of campus and Sylvan helps people of all grades.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

My son had a good learning experience with Sylvan Learning Centers where he received ACT tutoring. His tutor was a teacher whom he had experience from high school. She came above and beyond wherein she came in during her time-off and gave up her time to accommodate my son’s schedule with athletics. Sylvan has a fantastic employee in her. She tutored my son in math and after the tutoring, his test scores in math went up. I would recommend Sylvan.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sylvan Learning Centers?

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

Sylvan Learning had done an outreach thing at our local library, and I participated in that as a parent. And so, when time came that we needed some tutoring, I had a good experience with them. The tutor worked with my daughter's daily or weekly work focusing on Math. My daughter gained a bit more confidence. I would definitely recommend you give Sylvan a try.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

We used a different tutoring option when we lived elsewhere in the state, about three hours away. We moved to another place and Sylvan was really close to where we lived. We tried it out and we’ve been there ever since 2012. It has been amazing and Ms. Valerie has been incredible. Besides the owner, she’s the main person that we usually speak with and see. She always goes the extra mile and cares about the kids. She’s also funny and my kids respect her. They know that they can push her a little and she’ll be fun, but then she means business when there is work.

Gail, the owner, even went to my son’s intermediate school when he has in 6th or 7th grade. She did a parent-teacher conference. We had all of the teachers for my son, Josh, in the same room. Gail came and she explained what they do at Sylvan for Josh. It was great to have her there so that she could hear the issues that Josh was having with each class and the teachers. That really helped so that Sylvan could cater his tutoring specifically to what he needed. Sylvan really works with the kids. There are times when my kids don’t wanna go to tutoring but once they go and they’re done, they feel a lot better because their homework’s done or they’re ready for a test.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I heard positive things from other people that have used Sylvan Learning Centers. I decided to use them for my child and at this point, they're helping him in Math. So far, even his teacher at school has noticed an improvement in his confidence. He’s participating in class now. He’s figuring it out and not feeling like he can’t do it anymore. His tutor varies from time to time but I had several contacts with the directors that were kind of in charge and they’ve been very positive. I feel like they know my child and his experience with them is making a very positive difference in his life. If anyone asks me about Sylvan Learning, I would say nothing but positive things and how much they have truly helped my child. They should keep doing what they’re doing and help build these kids’ confidence because it does make a difference.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

My granddaughter didn't progress in her previous tutor. But now that we’ve started using Sylvan, she has progressed. We’re focusing more on her reading. Sylvan helped build up her confidence because she was beginning to feel like she was stupid. They encouraged her and she started wanting to study. Because she had gotten so bad, she just didn’t want to do it. And then her reading has gotten better. She loves going. When I say it’s time to go to tutoring, she says okay and jumps right up. If your child is having problems, you need to call Sylvan. I’m glad that we did it, that we used their service. We’re debating about it, and I am so happy we decided to go with Sylvan. I’ve been recommending them as well to other people.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

My son needed help with all the subject areas. His school was too simple and he needed to be pushed more. We used Kumon previously but then switched to Sylvan as I had done it as a child. Sylvan's tutoring has been great because he’s been able to work at the level that he was capable of, instead of trying to work at a lower level. For example, he’s in the 2nd grade and he’s currently working at a 5th-grade level. Without the tutoring from Sylvan, he wouldn’t be able to push himself as much. The center director at Sylvan is fantastic and I highly recommend this learning center.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

My daughter was having some issues at school. I’ve seen how finely tuned into detail Sylvan Learning was, how much they kept up with the teachers, and how much they would email the teachers about the correct curriculum in order for them to make their actual program effective for our children individually, and these made me chose them over its competitors. They speak to the teachers, get to know what the kids are learning and where they’re struggling. They have contact with myself, the teacher, and everybody works together in order to get the child in the right place.

We have been with Sylvan program for nine months and I started seeing results after two months. They were very effective. Their strategies grant some result and that’s most important to me. They were focusing on my daughter's math and flash reading, and I’m seeing major improvements in classwork. I also see confidence in homework. I'm very happy for her. They’re also very conveniently located and they’re not far from my home. It was like win-win for me. But I wish they were a little cheaper. Other than that, my daughter loves going to Sylvan so far. She likes the program and the tutors.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

When I was going to college in Arizona, I had an experience with Sylvan so I knew that the methods that they used were very straightforward and easy to understand compared to how other teachers might teach. I sought them out from my own experience. I knew that we still would have a gap with the time we had with the other tutor from school so I wanted to supplement the times my oldest child would have in the gym through tutoring.

The staff there in Sylvan is great. I normally talk to Eddie on the phone and he is great. Our daughters like the tutors named Derek and Jessica. But again, they’ve got different personalities and approaches. If our kid doesn’t really care for one tutor’s approach over another, it’s not the tutor’s not teaching them well, it’s just the style that they prefer. And I like the fact that I can get my kids scheduled with the one they prefer. I got two daughters in Sylvan right now. My oldest is 15 and a 1st year in high school. My youngest is a little behind in her math skills and was struggling a little bit. We did the assessment with her to see what gap she has and we’re working on closing that gap. That was one of the things that we like about Sylvan. Also, I like that my daughter got to see the style of a couple different tutors and she found one that she really enjoys. When we schedule, the scheduling’s flexible so that we can get Derek for my oldest.

There are different motivators for each of my children. The oldest like to understand the concept. Even though she was getting an A in geometry, she still felt like she wasn’t understanding the concept. She’d bring them forward to the next type of math that she might experience so it was concepts then. The oldest is appreciative of the tutor who is very direct and helps her understand the concept. The little one is excited because she gets little rewards for doing her tutoring and earns points. Her motivator’s a little bit different, but she enjoys going, too. They’re both very engaged and that has a lot to do with their approach.

To use Sylvan, there’s a cost to it and parents might be apprehensive sometimes because they feel they are gonna make them pay so much a month. But Sylvan does cater to the issue we're trying to solve then work with us as far as what they would recommend. But we have to work it within our budget. They’re respectful of the balance of helping the child and also understanding what we can do financially.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Sylvan was great and it was convenient for me and my son. I’ve had other kids that were older than my son help him, but it wasn’t consistent. He likes to go over there and he was focusing on Reading. His teacher tells me how proud he is of my son and how he likes things were working with him. My son's just taking a break now because I live so far away from where they are, but we plan to resume back in February.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

Sylvan Learning is a great place to take the kids to if they wanna learn. My daughter previously had a tutoring experience with them, and now, she is focusing on Math and English with her tutor. Sylvan's team is kind and nice.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I’ve been with Sylvan Learning for four months and I still can’t get reviews back saying what Faith, my daughter, is working on or what she has mastered or what they are even learning. Sometimes, there are about three kids to one teacher or two kids to one teacher and my daughter gets distracted really quickly. I still wanted the one-on-one with my daughter and it worked during the times that I got them for my daughter.

Right now, they are doing Reading at Sylvan. I would ask my daughter what they did and she would say, “I don’t know.” Sometimes, she would tell me that she was working on the short vowel for the “O,” so I would try to help her at home with little things like that as well. At the beginning, we spoke at Sylvan about what my daughter was lacking, what she was doing, what her strengths were, and what her fallback was, so we were all in the same page. However, when I went there, I saw them sit her with an iPad, and that was it.

I told them that I can do that at home and I was paying them money to give her the skill, so they should help her with that skill. I saw her on the iPad for the first 30 minutes, and she was there only for 45 minutes or an hour. I felt like, “Why are we putting her on there? Why are we having another program that I can download at home and it’s gonna cost me nothing, but yet for the first 30 minutes, you put her on there?” I saw my daughter looking around and not paying attention. I thought to myself that it was not going the way I wanted to. I am not seeing a difference.

I had invited Sylvan to go to a school meeting with all her specialists, the principal, vice principal, teacher, and everybody that is involved in helping her work together. My daughter's reading specialist asked the coordinator at Sylvan what Faith is working on at Sylvan. The coordinator did not know how to answer them and I had to answer for her. I said, “Well, they’re doing fundamentals. They’re going back to kindergarten, the sound, the short, the long vowels and everything.” I started throwing stuff at the specialist because that’s what the teacher had told me and that’s what my daughter was working on with the reading specialist. I also said, “Well, I’m assuming this is what we had spoken about and this is the goal that we were gonna do within a year, the whole school year,”

I’ve seen the reviews and the people who have talked about Sylvan said that I would start seeing the difference right away. My daughter loves going there and she would not miss a day. When I miss a day, she makes me stay there and she wants to stay for two hours. She knows she’s gonna stay for another session. She loves getting rewards and she loves earning points. She does all the extra things, so she can earn points. The people are super nice there at Sylvan, although I see that they use more electronic stuff to get through a child. I would say no and I would tell them that my daughter is used to the one-on-one. I’m trying to leave her out of there, so are the specialists, to where I give her her independence. However, I am not paying like other parents that are paying four hours a week and can afford all of that because I can’t.

I have my daughter on phonics books on the iPad because apparently, that is the grade level that she is reading, so I am going back and showing her the fundamentals at home. I and her teachers are always pushing her, but she never loses her cool. She is always 100% in it. No matter how hard it gets for her, she’s always trying. She’s always a go-getter, as what all the teachers tell me. However, I don’t get anything back from Sylvan. I just drop off my daughter and I wait outside. I would look and see what she was doing. All she does is just sit and the teacher literally points at each child on what to do then waits. She sits back and my daughter is on the iPad with her headsets for 30 minutes. The most I’ve counted was 35 minutes of the session. My daughter is looking around and she is not even looking at the iPad, while the teacher or the instructor is not even paying attention.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I’m satisfied with my experience with Sylvan. Their director has been friendly and informative. He also has kept in contact. My son loves Ms. Judy as his tutor. She's focusing on listening and reading with my son. They have been able to help based off of his school assessment and he had more improvement than he had before.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

My son is autistic and I heard some reviews that were positive about Sylvan system. Jessica is his tutor and she is working with him on Spelling, Math, and Reading Comprehension. I went over the work and we took an approach. I know that the school teacher in Sylvan had been communicating back and forth trying to be able to work together for common good for my son, so it’s been really nice, too. Jessica has been really easy to work with and she seems to take care of my son, so that’s good. My son has been more confident since we went with Sylvan.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I would highly recommend Sylvan Learning. While we haven’t completed the course, it has already made a huge difference in my son's attitude at school, knowing that he’s learning how to read. We’re still involved and it’s repetitive, testing after he’s completed a concept to ensure that he retains what he learned from the previous day. Sylvan has more matured teachers in age who have more of that phonics and experience. And they actually taught kids how to read in school.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

My child has been maybe about a month and a half with Sylvan. She enjoys it. She loves going every day and she looks forward to it. She only missed one day ‘cause she was sick. She also loves her tutors. She’s excited when she gets there and when she leaves and she tells me what she has learned. It’s a wonderful experience for her. I will highly recommend Sylvan. I went with them because of their reputation and I'm highly satisfied. I see my daughter’s grades improving. The tutor focused on my child's reading and math. My daughter was making Ds in Math, and she made her first B in a month and a half. To see her excitement on her face that she was finally getting it is priceless.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

My son wasn't getting challenged in public school so we switched him to doing private school. We got Sylvan to tutor him on Reading and Math. They are helping him in reading a paragraph and picking out the main details. It has made a world of difference for my son. It's been a good experience and I'd recommend Sylvan.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I love Sylvan. They were the best. I used a different tutoring service before but it didn't fit my needs. Sylvan was excellent and they worked as a whole team. The tutor focused on my grandson’s reading, vocabulary and phonics. I would definitely recommend them.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

A friend referred me to Sylvan Learning and the tutors are focusing on reading and math with my foster child. She previously did not wanna go, but now, she enjoys going. She has a couple of different tutors and things are going well. She likes them, and she likes certain ones better than the others. Also, the staff are very good and they always get back to me right away. There have been a couple of issues here and there where we had some bad homework and homework that wasn’t done. But they called me right away, adjusted it and made up for it. My child has only been in there for two months, but so far, I’m happy and pleased. I have noticed a change in my child's attitude and it is helping her build confidence. I would recommend Sylvan.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

Sylvan Learning is the best. They're doing very well for my kids who have improved in English and Math. They're very polite and kind, and they make it easy for my kids in school. Now my kids are understanding most things.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Going with Sylvan was convenient for us and they had the hours that we needed initially. They are helping my child with reading right now and his tutor has been good. We haven't had to retest my son again and his school seems to think he's doing better. And he likes Sylvan. We haven't seen any grades to measure any change brought by the tutoring but it seems to be helping. We've also been really happy with Sylvan's flexibility and scheduling. And the teachers there seem to be nice.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Sylvan was recommended by our friends, and we are on the second year that we are using Sylvan for our son. And he's doing very good at school. He's focusing on Math and English and his tutor has been able to help him very well. Most importantly, he likes to go there and he's happy. The school is not enough by itself, and my son had a lot of improvements since going with Sylvan. He covered the requirements from the school because English is a second language for me and his mom, and at home we speak a different language and he needs more improvement. Everything with Sylvan is perfect.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

My son was tested on November 17, 2018 to get help with study skills/ tutoring for Geometry & Chemistry. I was told that he needed to test first... Have yet to hear back from them regarding results. This is not a good sign as far as I'm concerned and now I don't feel confident about their habits and ability to follow through. I have called a couple of times and was told that someone would call me back but to no avail. Unacceptable, how are they going to teach him study skills and they can't even follow through??? - Very Disappointed.

Sylvan Learning Centers response

Hi Erica - We are so sorry that the center has not followed up with you in regards to your son's results yet! We'd like to follow up with them on your behalf, so we've sent you a message to collect a few more details. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I was looking into Reading classes for my daughter and I went with Sylvan Learning. They keep the same curriculum but it was not always the same tutor. Since using their services, my daughter has improved big time to the point that she is already at her learning level. We just kept going to see them to keep the learning experience. I would highly recommend Sylvan. We got results, and when I had a concern, they helped me go through it. I always consider Sylvan Learning as a possibility in case I need it too.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

The reps are friendly and they're a very good fit for my son. I've noticed an improvement in him since he started using Sylvan Learning. It is a very good place. I'd recommend it to others.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I went to Sylvan for SAT preparation. They told us we needed 2 books $25 each. I start my prep course and the location owner was over enthusiastic about what she thinks I can get. She said I can get 200+ easy. There were times where I was sitting there waiting for them to pay attention to me. I asked for help and they didn't give it to me. I asked how to do a certain math problem and it took not 1 but 2 "tutors" to attempt it. They never came to a conclusion. I had to ask for help with strategy and they didn't give me any. I spent one day with 1 one tutor trying to help me, an 8th grader, and a 2nd grader all at once.

I took a practice test through Khan Academy and got a score 40 points lower than what I got on my first test. I told the location manager that I needed to redirect our time. She then told me that they were wrong. The College Board (they created the SAT) suggests the help of Khan Academy and they were apparently wrong. I then asked for a Sylvan version and she never sent it to me. I asked again the next week and when I brought it back she said my score went up 90 points. I was falsely confident. There were many occasions when I asked for additional days before the exam and they just didn't respond to my emails. My father emailed them confirming tutoring days and it took 3 tries to get someone to email us back.

Finally the test day arrived and I felt so confident, but this is short lived as I received my score and my score went down 10 points. We focused on the English section and it went down. My math score stayed the same. I will have one more chance to take the sat before my applications are due. I am not returning to Sylvan. This is a waste of time, money, and effort. I worked for an hour on SAT prep everyday and I got worse. Avoid Sylvan.

Sylvan Learning Centers response

Hi Meredith - Thank you for your feedback about your experience with our SAT prep program. We are so sorry that you did not have a better prep experience with us! At Sylvan, we strive to help each of our student's meet his or her individual goals, and we apologize that we did not meet yours. We'd like to make things right, so we've sent you a message with more information about our Support Team, who would be happy to work with you to find a solution. Thanks!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

We got into Sylvan when we needed homework help for my child. I prefer Sylvan than the other place I looked at because it was more affordable, and it was not intimidating. It was very easy to enroll with Sylvan. They were really responsive and everything was great. My son's main struggle was there was a lot of writing assigned this year. He doesn't like the subject and the assignment. Instead of me having to try to fight with my kid to get the work done, being in Sylvan's program and that environment, he had no choice but to get started.

Sylvan Learning Centers Company Information