4.59/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Choosing Sylvan is about getting results and setting your child up for long-term success. At Sylvan, we’re focused on building academic confidence, igniting intellectual curiosity and inspiring a love for learning — all of which make a big impact in school and in life. For nearly 40 years, we’ve helped millions of students and families like yours achieve new levels of academic success.

Sylvan Learning Centers Video
Sylvan Learning Centers Gallery (4)
View More View More

323 Sylvan Learning Centers Consumer Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: June 11, 2019

My son has been going to Sylvan Learning Center in Knightdale since summer of 2018 (a couple of evenings a week) to help him overcome some learning challenges he's been working through. Lack of confidence in reading and math, focus/visual learning issues, ADHD and social/emotional challenges were major hurdles when we started, and I am really impressed with the continued interest the Director and her teachers have in helping my son realize his potential and learn to work through his insecurities and try his best.

Through this process, we have also discovered my son's need for special glasses to help his eyes and brain to communicate more efficiently [so that he does not get get overwhelmed when he sees a page full of words]. The Sylvan Director and teachers have been valuable resources for me on my journey to help my son work through his learning issues, and I would highly recommend them to anyone looking for professional tutors who truly care. Thank you, Sylvan, for helping my son with reading, math, and spelling homework and for patiently helping my son learn to work through things that are "hard". Looking forward to continuing to work with you! - Mother of entering 3rd grader

Original review: May 29, 2019

This Sylvan isn't even using certified teachers anymore, and they have -8- students to a table. I thought Sylvan would give my child a better experience than this. What a HUGE disappointment. I cannot believe this owner is allowed to call his business "Sylvan". Are all Sylvan's going to this new standard? When I found out my daughter was being tutored by the RECEPTIONIST I was appalled. They laid off EVERY SINGLE good teacher and director, administrative staff and everything in between. I will NEVER trust Sylvan with my children again.

Sylvan Learning Centers response

Hi Elizabeth - We're so sorry to hear you had a poor experience at one of our locations! At Sylvan, we aim to keep a strict 3:1 student to teacher ratio, and all our teachers are certified. We'd like to try and make things right with you, so we're going to send you a private message with more details! We appreciate your feedback, as it helps us continually improve. We apologize again for your poor experience!

Original review: May 29, 2019

I was having difficulty finding somebody who was private and I knew that Sylvan Learning was already established. My son used them when he was in second grade so, I went back. The tutor helped my child built her confidence up, and she went from a D to a B, and held a B the whole rest of the year. I would recommend Sylvan. My child’s learning experience was wonderful since we got a tutor from them and she was always happy when she left. She has enjoyed it and she’s like, “I had a great session”. She’s still going and will finish up the end of June. Then, we’re gonna give her a little summer break.

Michael, a doctor, works there and he’s so personal with every single child that walks in that door. He has a special handshake for all of them and he gets to know them at an in-depth personal level. When I was waiting to have a meeting with him to go over my child’s scores and stuff, I saw him interact with other children. He is an asset to Sylvan. He’s a good all-around guy, and the kids seem to connect with him. He likes video games and they talk about that. It’s not just education. He had a reading competition for them.

Original review: May 17, 2019

There’s a tutoring center at the college where I go at Tacoma Community College. But the tutoring that I received at Sylvan was much more thorough. At the college, they were helping me with a particular assignment. But because the school is limited, they’re really only able to help you with a particular assignment. With Sylvan, the tutoring that I received would actually benefit every area of writing. They helped me understand grammar, the pre-writing process, what goes into your introductory paragraph and how to relate the body paragraph to your thesis. So all of that was actually helping me for the next assignment. I would be able to use that.

My tutor also encouraged me to journal on a regular basis and just going and listening to what she had to say actually got me into the writing habit. I can definitely see changes. In fact, if I’m given a prompt, it’s easier for me to get started now. Being given a writing assignment is not as intimidating as it was before. So I received help in getting that writing process started. The tutor also made me feel very comfortable. As an older person, I was a little iffy about going in among so many younger students but she didn’t make me feel like I was lacking something. She didn’t point out whatever my deficiencies were in a derogatory way. She just let me know that we're all always learning and so she helped create an environment where I was able to learn.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I took a look at what Sylvan Learning was offering and talked with a local lady. She was very nice and helpful. Sylvan knew what they were doing and had a good plan. I had the tutor help my child on Reading and Math, and the greatest thing was giving her more confidence that she could do it. I don't know if she made as much progress as we wanted to see but she had a good relationship. They made it fun and she was happy to go every week. It was a good experience and it was helpful to our daughter. We have a monthly progress meeting to let us know her growth. Sylvan has done a nice job and I would recommend them but it's very expensive.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sylvan Learning Centers?

Original review: May 6, 2019

Pretty much I brought my child to Sylvan Learning Center to help increase both Math and reading comprehension skills. Before my child started I was promised a few things and unfortunately they never happened. 1; I was told they would reach out to my child school and teacher, so that they would be on the same page as far as helping my child. This never happened. In fact my child teacher didn't even know she attended Sylvan, until myself and my child told her. Once I found this out I reached out to the head manager at my child's location. The lady apologized unsympathetically and said she will reach out personally and asked for my child's teacher info again and still no one reached out to the teacher. What a joke.

2; I was told I would get constant updates regarding my child progress. That also never happened. 3; I was told they would prepare my child for the next school year/grade level but instead they constantly gave my child work from lower grade levels that my kid knew. None of the practice work given was my child grade level or up so my child was bored. Which I also brought to their attention and the response was "your child can bring in their school work, if that helps". SMH. At that point I was very upset after all what am I paying you for if I have to constantly tell you what to do and bring in work of my own. But I still had hope for Sylvan. Until they provided my daughter with a math tutor that did not understand my child work which my child was told specifically to bring in so they could assist her.

Also I know they cannot control other individuals children but one day I witness a child be absolutely disrespectful not only to the staff but the other children working. He was yelling and constantly distracting everyone. And the staff just let it happen. They said "oh we'll just let his dad knows when he picks him up." That right there showed me their only motive is getting paid and nothing more. Overall my experience was a joke. A complete waste of time. Multiple promises are given. Dreams are sold to you in order to scam you out of your hard earned money. Maybe my issue isn't with Sylvan as a whole but it most certainly is with the location my child attended. It's unfortunate my first impression of what I thought was a excellent company indeed turned out to be the opposite. First impressions are lasting ones.

Sylvan Learning Centers response

Hi Nicole - Thank you for getting in touch about this. We are so sorry to hear we didn't meet your expectations for communicating with your child's teacher! At Sylvan, we do our best to keep your child's entire educational support team updated on his or her progress because we understand how important that line of communication is. We sincerely apologize for your poor experience! We'd like to try and make things right, so we're going to send you a private message with some more information. Thanks for your feedback!

Original review: May 2, 2019

Hello I will not recommend the CHAMPAIGN IL facility to anyone. When I decided that I wanted my son to attend them they said he will guaranteed learn everything he needs to learn & it’s going on 2 months he hasn't gained anything they said he will. In fact he hates to go because he said there is a certain tutor that is very mean to him to a adjusted it to where he does work with her. They understood and switched him (but not yet solved the problem of her being mean to my child). Also my child said no one helps him with anything he comes in every day just to be on a tablet (so I’m paying for my child to be on a tablet when he can do that at home? hmmmm).

And last but not least when registering JACKIE explained that I can take my child out any time if we are not satisfied with the company so I took him out and now she is saying she didn't say that and is now charging me STILL and my child is no longer attending. Also he has unused hours for him being excused & they have not once allowed him to use those hours. Jackie is very unprofessional and rude. I thought this would be a great ideal for my child to help him & it was the total opposite and a waste of my money! JACKIE has lied to my family just for the money and I am upset for the sake of my son learning.

Sylvan Learning Centers response

Hi Tramia - Thank you for getting in touch about this. We are so sorry to hear you haven't had a great experience with us so far! At Sylvan, we set high standards for our customer service, and we aim to help each student reach his or her academic goals in a positive and safe environment. We'd like to try and make things right, so we're going to send you a private message with more details. Again, we apologize for your poor experience!

Original review: April 27, 2019

The tutors at Sylvan Learning are focusing on my child's reading and math and they're doing good so far. He’s a math child but being in middle school, math has changed a little bit. With Sylvan, he's more comfortable now and his quiz scores are going up. He is now where he is supposed to be. He has always been there, but we wanted to make sure that he was more comfortable. I would let my friends know that we’ve enjoyed Sylvan so far. We have one-on-ones. They always contact us if anything is needed. My child absolutely loves it so I would definitely recommend Sylvan.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I kept seeing a lot of commercials about Sylvan Learning Center and it looked like a good program that I would be interested in for my son. The tutor focused on the Math subject and my son has improved substantially better than when he did not go. His learning experience has been positive. Sylvan is education-focused but very friendly and caring. I have recommended them to a couple of my coworkers whose child is struggling in areas in school.

Original review: April 22, 2019

The Sylvan tutors focused on both ELA and Math and they helped immensely not only in those subject areas but also overall towards school. Both of my children were tested at the beginning of the sessions and were tested at least two to three grades, almost four grades below grade level. We’ve only been there less than a year but they are all currently up to grade. Sylvan made my children’s learning experience fun enough so it was not a chore for them to learn. They will learn something at Sylvan, then a week or two later, they will learn it in school and they will be excited because they know what is going on. I have recommended Sylvan and have encouraged anyone with children that are having problems in school, not only for their basic program, but also for their STEM program and their homework help.

Sylvan Learning Centers Company Information