4.65/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Choosing Sylvan is about getting results and setting your child up for long-term success. At Sylvan, we’re focused on building academic confidence, igniting intellectual curiosity and inspiring a love for learning — all of which make a big impact in school and in life. For nearly 40 years, we’ve helped millions of students and families like yours achieve new levels of academic success.

Sylvan Learning Centers Video
Sylvan Learning Centers Gallery (4)
View More View More

317 Sylvan Learning Centers Consumer Reviews

View 2 featured reviews
Original review: March 29, 2019

My child is in first grade and she got 50% on her math test so I got her a tutor from Sylvan. In fact, they have helped her with her spelling homework before, but she is above grade level in reading. She does fabulous when she gets to guess with the word in English. She's a fill-in-the-blank and goes really fast. She can do and answer any recall questions you want from third-grade books. She only needs assistance with math and she has been in the program for two months. So far, she only missed three problems on her last math test.

The tutors are working with her to teach her to slow down. They are also showing her how to cover her paper so she doesn't see other numbers and get distracted. She moves too fast so when you have to be correct with math, she struggles. There is only one right answer in math and that she has to go slow and careful which is not her style. My child likes getting one-on-one attention and she likes going to math lessons. She's a very self-confident person. Overall, Sylvan's programs are very thorough and very good. They are great with her.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I heard about Sylvan Learning through a family member and online and my elder daughter went there briefly before. I had experience with Sylvan and C2 and I chose Sylvan because they were more in terms of the methods of payment. When I went to C2, it cost me more because I had to do all the amount upfront. On the other hand, Sylvan gave me a plan and in terms of payment, it was more flexible there. Moreover, I like the atmosphere and they are very professional. Sylvan is focusing on Language Arts and basic English which was where my child was having issues. Thus far, I've seen vast improvement so far in her schoolwork.

When I went there initially, her grades were terrible. She was getting 60s and 70s, but now, she is in the 80s going above, so the one-on-one focus has been doing her well. Our area of focus was mainly the English language, but she does a little math, too. She has been at Sylvan since February and she loves the environment there. She is happy, so I am happy, too.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I am very happy with Sylvan Learning. They have done amazing work with my daughter. They could say one sentence and my daughter would get it right away. Plus, she gets one-on-one attention. When we went through the teacher in school, they talked too fast and were too hyper. They were dealing with too many kids and couldn't focus as Sylvan can. Kenny, our favorite tutor, is outstanding. I've seen my daughter when she's around other kids and how she acts. She's all chatty and talky, but Kenny has a lot of patience, which is a big thing.

My daughter is getting tutoring in pre-Algebra and she is doing fractions as well. Since using Sylvan, she has felt better and her grades went up. Although it's not an A-plus, when she attacks the subject, she has a lot more confidence at doing stuff. She doesn't fear raising her hand in school and she feels okay with helping out other kids. When a kid is absent, she would voluntarily help, which she has never done before. I've spent a lot of money on Sylvan and their prices are a little high, especially when you wanna use them all the time. Their prices are fine if you just need help once here and there, but their prices should be a lot lower for people that use them regularly.

Original review: March 26, 2019

Sylvan Learning helped Carolina with reading. I saw a huge progress with that because my kids are difficult to teach. There was another lady and she's amazing. She's been helping my other daughter with time management, study habits, and confidence. She's doing incredible work with her. I also hired her to help me organize my finances, and I talked it all out with her, and she does a beautiful job.

Sylvan is expensive, but I'm getting my money's worth. I've spent $1,000 on Christina. And if she hadn't gotten a concussion, we'd be perfectly fine. She'd be golden. She has learning skills that I can't teach her because I don't have that bent in my head. I'm not capable of doing that kind of organization. So the lady has been teaching her some incredible skills. I'm going back to the tutor that I had before who was working with Carolina. And just generally because that first tutor had so much more success, so I'm gonna go ahead and beg her to take us back. Being with Sylvan, you have to have the money, but it's well worth to put the investment in the kids. I would tell others to do it. But I would tell them to be careful with the subjects, depending on their kid and how they learn.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Sylvan Learning Center Beaumont, TX - My son goes to Sylvan since he was in grade 6. Now he is a junior. He loves to go to Sylvan. The teachers are very helpful and knowledgeable. The scheduling is very flexible. I see so much improvement in my son due to Sylvan. I am very thankful to Sylvan. I will definitely recommend it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sylvan Learning Centers?

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I've got two daughters enrolled in Sylvan. The learning center was local and for me to go and get down to it, it can be a lot easier. They focused on subjects my daughters really needed help with. They're working on Language and Arts and Reading. The tutor helped tremendously. They just retested on i-Ready a couple of weeks ago, and the scores are up already by 40 points in both Reading and Math. So definitely give Sylvan a shot. The atmosphere is there. The girl loved it. My daughter never complained about having to go.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

The advertising of Sylvan Learning is the best and I also had a friend's kids in it. The tutor is focusing on language arts and reading comprehension with my child. According to his testing with his reading, it's improving a lot. It seems to be helping with his reading, and they're also easy to work with. We've had a great experience and I would recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

My daughter has a speech problem and she was missing a lot of pieces and phonics from kindergarten to second grade and third grade and Sylvan kinda filled that gap. Teachers have noticed my daughter's improved confidence with reading. They said that she's volunteering now to read out loud. She was doing two hours every Saturday, so sometimes she would have a different tutor. She likes the variation and the tutors all seemed great. I would ask her after a session what she learned and she couldn't really verbalize or didn't want to. So, they started having her write out what she learned. That was very helpful. I already referred my niece to Sylvan. I told them what a great experience we had and my brother and sister-in-law are taking their daughter now.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

Our previous tutoring option was awful, but Sylvan is wonderful. They helped a lot in math and they brought his grade up from an F to a B. He loves their tutoring. At first, however, he didn't like going there because he was embarrassed and didn't know anybody. Now, he likes the kids and the tutors. He can see that it has taken the frustration out of the learning experience because, at home, we were all arguing on how to do things. Now he just goes and does his tutoring, and he has caught up. He has been attending Sylvan for about four months now and it's the best money I've ever spent. I've told a couple of people that if kids are struggling with math, they should do Sylvan. It's worth it and I've been totally satisfied. I love Sylvan!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

We used Sylvan Learning for our son Noah and the tutor focused on his reading. There was more consistency with Sylvan and we saw huge results with our son's fluency and comprehension. Also, I've had monthly conferences with the education coordinator and she has been very informative and has kept me informed on the progress Noah has been making.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

My sister had told me about Sylvan. I saw the reviews and felt that if there was anybody that could help my son, it would be Sylvan. I can hold them accountable for it. My son, Marcus, is 9-year old with autism and I have seen a difference within these few months that we've been attending. He's now reading sentences and it's a big improvement because he wasn't reading all these years. It's a whole team, Sylvan plus his teachers and me, working together. They track the progress and I've seen them. They communicate and it has been a lot of work for everybody.

Since Marcus is on a Spectrum, he can only work with a couple people that he gets attached so we only speak to two tutors and they both have been wonderful. They were the first two that they introduced to him, and we are just keeping it with them too. He has his moments where he has meltdowns, but they work with him and I really appreciate their dedication. They're pleasant to work with and talk to. So far, I'm having a wonderful experience with them.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

We just started with Sylvan and I chose them because of the reviews. Our student is in first grade so the focus is on reading, words and counting, and she is doing pretty good.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I’m pleased with Sylvan Learning Centers. My niece sent her child there. My grandson was having trouble pronouncing his words. I’ve tried to work with him. And then when my niece told me how good they were, then I chose to bring him there. I had looked for tutors at the school and I didn’t get any help. But Sylvan helped right away. They were right on throughout everything that I asked about. And I signed up the first day that I brought him in, and then when they had the special time, I signed up for that too. And I do see a great improvement. Also, every time I have a problem with him doing his homework at school, I take him over there, and they help him, and he learned it right away. It’s been a good experience with the tutor too. I went over there and talked to her twice. I like her and she’s great. I would recommend Sylvan highly.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

We used Sylvan Learning for my daughter last school year since it was local. She's using it for her SATs and they focused on Algebra 2. She said that in some areas, it was okay but we didn't really see any improvement. I think it was the Math teacher at the time. They didn't connect well.

Sylvan Learning Centers response

Hi Micky - Thank you for taking the time to review us. We're sorry to hear you and your daughter did not have a great experience with us! At Sylvan, we aim to meet each of our student's individual goals so they see improvement. If there's anything we can do to make things better, please contact the Support Desk directly by emailing sylvansupport@sylvanlearning.com or calling 1-800-394-8353 – one of our team members will be happy to assist you. Thanks!

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I have a son who was struggling in Algebra and he needed help. We went with Sylvan Learning as I've seen their advertisement with the reviews on it. I've also heard good things about them. Their director has been awesome. We had issues with my son not wanting to go and she worked with me with the different time schedules since my son is busy. However, we encountered a few weeks ago with Sylvan and I was a little upset. When my son asked questions about chemistry, the teacher didn't know. So, he had to reach out to his sister who's a physician assistant. But other than that, I'm happy with Sylvan. We've only been going through them for 10 sessions and so far, so good. The interactions with the tutor and my son have been really good and my son's learning experience has been positive.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I had seen commercials and advertisements of Sylvan and the people in it always had good reviews and things to say. So I felt like it would be a place that I could check in to to help my daughter. She's focusing on Math and Reading and the tutoring has helped a lot, even with just making her feel more confident and more focused. Her test results have increased and gotten better too. Overall, it has just helped with her Math skills as a whole. My daughter also loves the staff there. She's someone who doesn't even talk but they make her feel comfortable and she talks. When I pick her up, sometimes, she wants to stay. I like Sylvan. It's a good place to try. The financial aspect is kinda hard on some parents. But it's worth it and fortunately, I was able to get like a scholarship with them.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

My kids used to go to Kumon and it's pretty much like repetitive. They just gave homework and then they had to work from home. With Sylvan, it's like one-on-one and they pretty much pay attention to the kids and their abilities and how they can take the info. I like Sylvan more because they don’t do the repetitive for sure and they try to make kids understand the concept.

The tutor focuses on English and Math with my kids and in school, when I go to the parent-teacher conference, they were below their grade level but now, they are right where they need to be. Sylvan is awesome and they are really friendly. They are flexible when we need to change the schedule. Their director, Andrea, is really nice. She pretty much works out if I need to switch days or something like that and they’re available right away when I call them. Overall, we are happy with them.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

I wanted a place for my child to go to, like a physical place versus coming home and doing it. So, I wanted her to feel like she's in school so she understands the importance of it. Sylvan Learning does a pretty good job. My child really enjoys the experience. It's always positive. They raised her reading level up and you can tell in her grades. It's worth it if you really want to invest into your kid's educational life, if the kid really needed that much help. So, I would recommend Sylvan. They have a good system.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I would recommend Sylvan. My children are doing Math and reading with their tutor right now. They're helping them to be able to decipher word problems or reading to understand. They're teaching them different skills to help them. We were using Kumon and Sylvan is much better. Sylvan is more hands-on, has smaller groups, and is focused on areas that needs improvement. And I felt like Kumon was more repetitive which was a tool that didn’t really teach them skills. We’d seen a nice result from Sylvan.

We have three children in Sylvan. It’s important to make sure that we have a plan that’s very separate, doesn’t cross over to each child, to be specific to the child, and one child doesn’t take away from another child. We’re going through that right now. They’re working through with the director of the school to make sure our children are probably gonna take about a year to complete the program, and we’re coming up in six months. And now, they’re telling us that the money has been used, and I’m like, “How is that possible when we planned this thing to be, probably, a 12-month window?” Also, the testing results are not where they need to be. Still overall, I have been happy with the process.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

Our child was not so good with math. Two of my co-workers told me that they had good experience with Sylvan Learning Centers so I went there. However, when the rep started looking at my son's test, the answers were right, but they were not right for the question they were asking. If they'd ask, “A dog is five years old and a cat is three years old, who’s older?” My son would say, “The cat is younger.” So, he understood the concept, he was just not answering properly. The goal was to start looking into his reading comprehension and the tutor was amazing. Even my son noticed the difference of having a tutor. When we brought my son in, he was having some C’s and even if the tutoring was three weeks, he was able to finish on AB honor roll, and even the B’s were just shy from an A.

Sylvan Learning was amazing. We’re Coast Guard so even by now, the tutors have always been checking with us. It's a family-type of approach and it’s more a friendly business. They have been a great support. I'd tell others that Sylvan Learning is good for them. Especially being in Louisiana, we’re always concern of how much far behind the kids are going to be when we transfer. The extra help my son is getting would help him if from here we go to New Jersey. He would not be behind. He would just be at par. They’re picking him up from where the state requirement lacks.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

My child is still doing the tutoring but Sylvan uses different things and they also work with her teacher in her school. It has been helping and even her teachers said that her math has been improving. Sylvan is a great tutoring program and center. I love how they break down everything as far as how she is learning so, it’s simple for them. They consider what is needed out of them and how they can tutor and cater to them. Everything's been working out and so far, the experience has been good.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

In a nutshell, I had a great experience with Sylvan. I was very satisfied and I would recommend it. We were alternating tutoring. Sylvan was one place we chose, and we were also having private tutoring. I really think Sylvan is the best because it uses a repetitive method that children can grasp on to. The more they hear it, the ever they’ll do it. And they’ll perform. My daughter and the tutor focus on Reading and Math. The tutor helped because they brought a great level up. My daughter was performing below grade level, and she is currently at grade level. She also enjoys going to Sylvan. She likes her teachers. She likes them a little more at the end of the day.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

My child is focused on learning Executive Functioning and Writing at Sylvan and he's much more organized. He's getting his homework done and doing better on tests. For a 13-year old boy who doesn't wanna go on a Saturday morning, he comes out in a good mood and smiling He enjoys his time there. He seems to be getting something out of it and we're seeing results. We've had a good experience with Sylvan so far. We're not done, but it's worth the time and effort to help our child gain some organization skills and confidence, and everything.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

My son is doing Reading and Math at Sylvan. When I was in grade school, my mom wanted to put me in the same learning center, and we never were able to afford it. And we see a lot of the similarities between myself and my son. His was a little bit more emotional onset as well. So, we needed to get him some help. Since being with Sylvan, there is a difference in his confidence level. He is able to comprehend what he's reading and have it stick. Math is kind of a harder one, but he does have a little bit better attitude in class and at home about doing Math homework.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

My daughter only needed 10 more points to be considered for half scholarship for her first-choice college. I googled, Sylvan popped up and it was the only resource in the area that seemed reputable as far as SAT tutoring. Those tutors were amazing. The way they analyze the pre-SAT scores, and the post, and they kept up with my daughter's tutoring appointments and followed up. It was well worth the money. Sylvan also told me and sent me news articles about the SAT being curved, making it really difficult for students. I'm a part-time professor and I thought I knew everything, but Sylvan educated me. That group is a great bunch.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I like Sylvan very much. I didn't like the old tutoring system we used. They were charging me one-on-one, and he was in a group setting so it really didn't help him at all. Sylvan helped the children more. The tutor started my son off with a one-on-one session, the way she said she was gonna do before putting him in a group session. My son is doing a lot better. He's reading more and he's doing better on his testing at school. He's enjoying it. He looks forward to going every day. So go to Sylvan. They're the best. They do a wonderful job and they're all friendly. I also like going up there every night,

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Worst Sylvan Learning Centre ever. Avoid Sylvan Learning Canyon Meadows at all cost. One time I was doing a social science homework. I was asking for help. This yellow hair woman fall asleep. She was even not helping me. I forgot her name. I was doing a social science assignment and I asked a glasses man for help. He drew a smile face on my worksheet. I paid $4000.00. I wasted all these money. Completely rip off. AVOID SYLVAN LEARNING CANYON MEADOWS AT ALL COST. This PLACE IS a JOKE. The glasses man name called Corey **. Go to different tutoring centre. Try one on one tutoring that is better than Sylvan Learning Centre. Corey ** lied on his resume. He is not a engineer. This place is full of dishonest people working at the Sylvan Learning Canyon Meadows.

Sylvan Learning Centers response

Hi James - We are so sorry to hear you feel this way! At Sylvan, we try our best to meet each student's individual needs. We apologize that you did not have a better experience at our centre. We'd like to make things right, so we've sent you a message with more details. Take care!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

My brother went to Sylvan when he was younger and I had seen it in our area where we live. My child is improving there at Sylvan. The tutors focus on reading and math. Sylvan has definitely been beneficial and I would tell others to definitely give it a try.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I have tried several private tutors for my daughter starting in second grade. I found that coming to my house once or twice a week wasn't working, with the exception of one out of five tutors. I decided to take a different approach and went to Sylvan Learning. Sylvan has a program, as opposed to a tutor that comes to my house. They look at what is being done in school, and then tutors on that for one or two hours a week. For Math, Sylvan assessed my daughter’s deficiencies, so they have a way to figure out what core skills she's missing. They have a program where they target those gaps that she had. Tutors don't do that. Tutors just come in, go over the homework and they talk about it but they’re not retesting them to see if they're gaining proficiency in it.

I like that Sylvan is assessing their progress along the way through testing. They've been flexible if there are times when she has a topic in class that they're going over that she needs extra help with and they'll do that instead of their program. They're doing a little bit of past skills catch-up along with current skills. Lisa, the center director, is extremely knowledgeable about what the curricula is at our local school. She knows what they're teaching, when they're teaching it and how they teach it. I have found that to be helpful. My child is doing much better in her class grades and I have recommended it.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Some people who used Sylvan for SAT had pretty good results so I went with them. My child was very good in English and was taught all of it in high school. However, she struggled a little bit with math, like Algebra 1 and 2 and the SAT goes beyond that. But she got through it all and blew it out of the water when they gave it to a lesson. I would recommend Sylvan Learning Centers. They were very polite, easy to get along with and willing to work with us.

Sylvan Learning Centers Company Information