4.8/5 (166 ratings)

About Sylvan Learning Centers

Sylvan Learning Center offers individualized in-person or online educational support to children and their families. Most of its students receive a combination of tutoring, homework assistance and help with college prep and study skills.

Sylvan Learning Centers Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sylvan Learning Centers?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sylvan Learning Centers?

Original review: May 1, 2022

Our daughter is doing math and language arts. She's doing math tutoring because they recommended it's not a good idea to do their math program at the same time when you're in class. She's also doing the reading program to help get up to where we need to be. She comes out, most of the time, in a better mood than when she went in. She has energy and you can tell it's a good experience for her.

The program is helping. It's not as drastic with her like in school. But I also know, at least for her, she's got to learn to apply herself when it comes to school. She's definitely making progress and when I would get the Sylvan dashboard thing, she has definitely accomplished a lot. The little notices cover what the tutors did. Beyond that, I have a check-in with the director. She was like, “Hey, I'm touching base. Just letting you know I'm really happy with how your daughter is doing." Sylvan is pretty easy. I can email whenever something comes up and they're pretty responsive and super helpful with all that.

Original review: April 30, 2022

It's been a very positive experience with Sylvan. It has helped my child become more confident in reading. Everyone's been great to work with as well. Sylvan is definitely a great place if your child needs some extra help.

Original review: April 29, 2022

Our granddaughter is eight and she's an excellent reader. But because of COVID and trying to learn at home, she got behind a little bit in math. Over the years, I have known Sylvan to be out there in Paducah, in Lone Oak. I called and talked to Steve, the director out there. We had a pretty good conversation on the phone and I felt good about it. We enlisted our granddaughter and focused on math. She looks forward to going to Sylvan and has a good attitude about it. She goes on Tuesdays and Thursdays for one hour each and she's totally on board with it.

Original review: April 28, 2022

Our child does Algebra and math at Sylvan and is being helped just by practicing. The learning experience is pretty good. Sylvan is a little bit pricey but I would recommend it.

Original review: April 27, 2022

They were very supportive and we loved them. It was just a bit pricey and so it's not something that would be feasible in the long term.

Original review: April 26, 2022

I did Mathnasium briefly but I preferred Sylvan because it was more one on one. Our child does reading and now, we've added math. They assessed our child to see what level he was at and went from there. He's been with the school since October and he's improved. I would recommend Sylvan Learning.

Original review: April 25, 2022

My son enjoys going to Sylvan. It's been a good program, so far.

Original review: April 24, 2022

Sylvan is motivating my son to do well and fill in the gap from where he was. He enjoys Sylvan. He likes the methods that they use to get him to learn. He wasn't as weak in math as he was in reading, but I noticed an improvement in both of them, and definitely in math.

Original review: April 23, 2022

Our child is getting out of Sylvan what we wanted her to get out of it. She's homeschooled, and she needed some tutoring on her algebra. That’s what she goes for and Sylvan is the most convenient. She does most of the communication with them and she seems to be doing fine with it. Others should try Sylvan if they’re concerned that their child needs more help with something.

Original review: April 22, 2022

My son who is in sixth grade and my daughter who is in third grade are liking Sylvan very well. The instructors are very nice. My kids like them very much as well. Their manager is also very good. However, I used all my trials, but they didn't inform me.

Original review: April 18, 2022

My son started off with a 23% in language arts. He's in kindergarten. Come to find out, he didn't know any of his sounds and that was affecting him learning how to read, blend words, how to code. They had to go all the way back to his Voluntary Pre-K and work with him with sounds before they could even start him to learn his sight words.

It’s pricey but it's definitely worth every dime. I just wish I would’ve known last year. I could have put him in Sylvan before he started kindergarten. Hopefully, he can do summer school for language arts, and I continue to let him go there and he can catch up. He loves going and my son is very shy. The only time that I have a problem with him going is on Saturdays because he feels it's not fair that he has to go and do schoolwork on the weekend. He also says all the time, he hates language arts in school. But Sylvan makes it where it's interesting for him. He likes to learn when he's there.

Now, he's up to a D+. Considering he started Sylvan in the middle of the school year, that's great progress. He's making S-minuses and he even made one S-plus. He's learning how to read. He knows some of his sight words. It's a lot better. I know I couldn't have been able to do it without Sylvan. I’m very appreciative of everyone there. They’re great.

Original review: April 17, 2022

They're all great people at Sylvan. My son seems to be all right and he’s now reading better.

Original review: April 16, 2022

The enrollment process was easy and things are good, so far. It's helpful and my son enjoys going. They help him with reading and the teachers who assist make it fun for him.

Original review: April 15, 2022

My youngest has spoken highly of the tutors that she likes. She's only dissatisfied with one and I asked her why and it’s because the tutor wasn’t teaching her. She said it took forever and the tutor was slow. But other than that, Sylvan is working for me.

Original review: April 14, 2022

Sylvan has been good. Like most things, my kid never likes going to do anything if it's something that takes him away from what he wants to do. But whenever we pick him up, he seems to have had a good experience with it because he never comes back home upset. My son particularly likes his math tutor, and the administrative staff has been helpful as well.

They're focusing on both reading and math for my son, and he's still showing improvement on his math skills. He's not quite to the math grade level that we were aiming for when we started, but he is on his way that he should hit that before the end of the tutoring year and the school year. For the reading portion, we've almost hit the goal that we set for him when we got started back at the beginning of February. Sylvan can be a little pricey, especially since we have the four hours per week plan, one of the more expensive plans, for our son. However, I would tell friends if they can afford it or even half the hours that are recommended, to absolutely go ahead, especially if the child is struggling in reading or math.

Original review: April 13, 2022

The school is trying to get the kids ready for the STAAR test. The teachers and staff designated the month of April, and they offered Saturday school from 9:00am to 12:00pm for students that had challenges. My scholar, Alicia, fell into that category, and that schedule interfered with her tutoring with Sylvan because we only go in and we're there for an hour. I had to contact her Sylvan instructor. I nor her Sylvan instructor wanted her to miss out on the opportunity.

I didn't want Alicia to lose her seat, but I really wanted her to take advantage of the tutoring as well because I don't want her to be retained. If she doesn't do well on that STAAR test, I don't know if we're gonna make it to the fourth grade. It wouldn't be a big thing for me, considering COVID and all that she missed the last year and a half, but it will be devastating for her. So, we've been doing everything that we can to bring her up to speed.

It's been a seamless process while dealing with Sylvan. I've interacted with the leader and the instructor there from time to time and they're always pleasant. It has been an overall good experience for me. The communication is always open, and I love the idea that we're communicating with one another. They're also patient with Alicia. She's eight, she's in third grade and we're focusing on reading. Kids sometimes thrive in an environment when they're not familiar with the individual. Versus me trying to teach Alicia at home and me taking her so that she can sit with a third party, the third-party interaction has helped out a great deal. Sylvan has helped her to be a lot more confident. She takes her time and sounds the word out.

Original review: April 12, 2022

My daughter was falling behind in school, and so we wanted her to get at least caught up or increase her confidence. Sylvan was recommended by a friend. Her three kids went there for various different learning needs. I had looked at other places, but I was happier with Sylvan. Sylvan helped a lot and it's helped my daughter's confidence. It also has helped relieve some stress from mom and dad. I would highly recommend it.

Original review: April 11, 2022

I like everything about Sylvan. The only downside to it is the expense. But other than that, my son loves it and he is improving with his math and reading. Also, they walk him out and always tell me how he's doing for the day, where they're going to progress, how they're progressing, and what their next step is. I really wasn't expecting to get that from the tutor.

Original review: April 10, 2022

We have two children doing Sylvan and they like coming in and working with the tutors. I like it too, as long as my kids are happy.

Original review: April 9, 2022

My child only had positive things to say about the different teachers he's had at Sylvan. He's even had a couple of the teachers tell him that he's their favorite student, which makes him feel amazing. There's a lot of positive reinforcement at this particular center and he feels comfortable there. We're doing both reading and math help but we paused reading for a little bit because math was taking up so much time. We needed to incorporate some homework help and it's helping. He got a report card last week and there were lots of improvements. There have been days when he doesn't want to go but once we get in there and he comes out, he feels so much better.

Also, Sylvan has communicated with his teacher, which I think is wonderful, because there are some times when I don't really know what he needs exactly. It was really nice that they would be willing to reach out. They've also been very flexible. We've had a couple of vacations and we've been able to change days. It's really been a great experience. I have a feeling we'll stay for a while.

Original review: April 8, 2022

The tutor has helped my child tremendously in Math. My child is paying attention more and he's focused more. Also, he loves it there. It's been great.

Original review: April 7, 2022

They focus on comprehension, math, and reading with my daughter. She liked how the tutor helped her and was focusing on her and not the other kids. The support and the attention that they give to the child one-on-one is phenomenal.

Original review: April 6, 2022

My foster daughter is enjoying Sylvan very well. She was a little bit behind. She's been going to Sylvan for a month now and she is reading, so we are totally excited about that. They're also working with her on her math. She loves it. She can't wait to go. They make it fun for her and bring it down to the level where she's at, versus at school, they wanted to put her at her grade level where she's not to that yet so she gets frustrated. What I liked about Sylvan is that it’s not one method for every child. They take into consideration the child that is learning and where they're at. So they meet them where they're at.

Original review: April 5, 2022

My daughter is loving Sylvan. She's been making fantastic progress with Sylvan. She's making great progress mostly in word-by-letter blending and the confidence level in learning that she can, in fact, do it. So, we're very happy. I'm hoping, at some point, I'll get some updates from them on how they feel that she's doing as far as where she should be.

Original review: April 4, 2022

The kids enjoy learning with Sylvan and they learn. They make progress and I can see the improvement. I like their program. It can be adjustable and fixed with the progress.

Original review: March 30, 2022

My daughter loves Sylvan Learning. We've seen a big improvement in her confidence and her grades. She did virtually last year for her first year of kindergarten. So, that put her a little behind the curriculum. Fort Hood was a little bit different when we got up here to Crowley, so we didn't want her to get further behind with the fundamentals. A lot of places are now going virtual and doing the tutoring over webinars, and my daughter does not do good or thrive on that part of it. So, having that hands-on at Sylvan and having someone there while she's working on new things were definitely more of what she needed. Any time I've ever needed anything, had to change anything or had questions, the people at Sylvan have always been very attentive and quick to respond.

Original review: March 29, 2022

Sylvan is great. My son has improved in his reading. He used to stutter but now, he continues without stopping. It’s expensive but it is worth it for your children.

Original review: March 28, 2022

One of Sylvan's models is a confidence builder. My daughter needed to build her confidence. She's focusing on reading, and she went from a D in her reading class to an A. She tells me she enjoys learning at Sylvan. It's a good experience. She's excited to go every week. She's excited to go to school and show her improvements, so she's more confident and she's doing much better in her classes, overall. Reading was our issue, and she can read her directions. So, it's working really well for us.

Original review: March 27, 2022

I love Sylvan Learning. My girls love the tutor and the person that did all the scheduling. It's been great. My kids needed help and doing it online, they can meet with their teachers, and their teachers were great, but it was specific. They’re helping specifically with Algebra. I’ve got twins who are completely different. One of them has leverage over their tutor. She’s proactive with her work and her schedule, so she likes the process. So she and her tutor plan her school day.

Original review: March 26, 2022

My sister had her son in Sylvan and I saw a really nice improvement in my nephew. The location is really close to my house too so it was easy. My daughter needed help, so I decided to have her do Sylvan also. She did reading. She's in kindergarten so her focus was letters and sounds. She definitely knows her letters now and her sounds. I saw an improvement, 100%.

I like the incentive learning. Being only five, my daughter didn't understand it at first because they get the points and they get to pick from the wall. They want to pick immediately and she didn't understand the whole save, save, save. She caught on eventually. If she wants one of the good things to get, she had to save her points. They have it on display so they can see and they have something to work towards for. Overall, it's been all positive Sylvan. It's not the cheapest option but they have the financing options for it.

Sylvan Learning Centers Company Information