Oxford LearningConsumerAffairs Unaccredited Brand
My daughter was enrolled in Oxford Learning Centre on Bayview Avenue in Toronto, Ontario. At first things went well but I soon realised that some of the tutors are very lazy. When I gave them homework from school rather than from the booklets they could not manage to teach my child’s her class material. I was also expecting them to have a better grasp of French as we were using them for French subjects. I have been extremely dissatisfied with Oxford Learning Centre and I would strongly suggest looking into other programs as this program is very limited and could only help my child with rudimentary basics. I was charged an evaluation Fee and other fees and had very little to show for it in the end. The system used at Oxford Learning Centre is outdated and has very little room to Include actual class work of the child attending their program.
Oxford Learning expert review by ConsumerAffairs
Oxford Learning offers tutoring services in Canada. It specializes in individualized programming for students in grades 1-12, including kids who are overwhelmed by academic expectations, kids with special needs and kids seeking enrichment.
Offers assistance with time management and other non-academic skills: Kids who need to master these additional skills for success can get explicit instruction in them as part of Oxford Learning's tutoring program.
Focuses on motivation: Instead of just teaching facts and figures, Oxford Learning helps motivate children to learn so that they can succeed in all of their classes.
Uses a scientifically tested assessment: Oxford Learning's unique, dynamic assessment is backed by scientific research and is given to every student at the beginning of the tutoring relationship. This allows Oxford Learning to more easily figure out what services each student needs.
Tries to make learning fun: Throughout the process, tutors try to help kids enjoy what they're doing so that students will look forward to sessions and get more out of them.
Customized instruction: Oxford Learning offers customized one-on-one instruction to meet each student's unique learning needs.
Best for: Students with special needs, college-bound teenagers and kids who are failing their classes.
Oxford Learning questions and answers
- What problem is Oxford Learning trying to solve?
- What problem are we trying to solve? The problem of students not achieving to their fullest potential, for a variety of reasons. We help students get better grades through a different approach to learning.
Our Mission statement says it all:
• Our mission is to help our students achieve their highest potential
• To encourage independence and imagination
• To foster a striving for excellence
• To awaken a spirit of confidence and enthusiasm
• To teach the student to celebrate achievement.
- What sets Oxford Learning apart from the competition?
- Our main differentiator is that approach to learning is not just tutoring. Our programs are designed to build cognitive (learning) skills first. They change how students process and integrate information—how they learn. We focus on the process of learning, not just the results. Our objective is to provide a permanent cure, not just a temporary fix.
Tutoring tends to simply use the same curriculum and follow the same methodology used in the regular classroom. Oxford Learning knows that when a student has problems in school, it is seldom a curriculum issue and generally a learning process (cognitive) issue.
- What needs does Oxford Learning fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
- All our programs have been developed by Oxford Learning’s cognitive scientists and educators and are all based on Oxford Learning’s proprietary learning philosophy. As well as proprietary curriculum, Oxford Learning features a new method of teaching called Interactive Coaching and our own Dynamic Diagnostic Assessment to determine learning strengths, weaknesses, and potential.
Our programs are fully customized to the student’s needs. We do not offer one-size-fits-all solutions. We customize curriculum and pace of instruction to the student’s needs, not the other way around.
• Remedial programming to help kids catch up or overcome learning difficulties
• Enrichment programming for gifted and under challenged students
• University entrance programs
• Test prep SAT, SSAT, ACT
• ESL programming
• French programs
• Pre-school learn-to-read
• Grades pre-k to university
• Reading, writing, math, all curriculum subjects
• Study and learning skill development
- How does Oxford Learning measure success?
- Through pre and post testing, by students achieving higher marks and confidence and by a referral rate in excess of 75%. Oxford Learning opened its first location 30 years ago and we have expanded across Canada from coast to coast on the basis of satisfied parents and successful kids.
- What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry?
- A common misconception about our company is that we “tutor” which is the same as offering short-term solutions. People tend to think that tutors can improve a subject grade by the next test. We look at fixing a problem for the long term so that it doesn't reappear again this year, or next year; achieving this takes time. People tend to think of “tutoring” as a quick fix for the short-term. Because we offer long-term results that take time to achieve, we offer much more than traditional tutors.
Most consumers feel all tutors are the same and they also tend to think that learning is just rote memorization and repetition. Oxford Learning starts with an assessment that determines how a student learns and builds individualized programs designed to raise intelligence, develop appropriate cognitive skills, get better marks and increase self-esteem. We are the only supplemental educator focusing on cognitive process development.
- How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?
- Over the years we’ve had to adapt to meet any significant changes that occur with the ministry of education, such as Ontario’s full-day kindergarten or the move from three report cards to two report cards and a progress report. But, changing to meet the evolving face of education has always been the case.
Oxford Learning’s unique cognitive learning methods, developed by Oxford Learning’s scientists and educators, are still the only such programs available in the market. The most significant change the supplemental education industry has seen is increased competition. There is a small move toward the more appropriate use of today’s technology; however, research still shows that face-to-face learning is superior to electronic learning for students seeking enrichment or remediation.
- What is something you wish every consumer knew about Oxford Learning?
- We want consumers to know we really can make a difference to how a child thinks and learns, and even if the student is struggling, most can develop increased confidence and get the grades needed to achieve their dreams.
We also want others to know how a student learns is much more important than what a student has learned. Once a student develops superior cognitive skills, all knowledge is available to him or her. Better grades, higher performance, confidence and self-esteem are all the result of achievements resulting from improved learning skills. Old fashioned tutoring does not develop these skills.
We are the only Canadian after-school supplemental education provider that has been in the industry for over 30 years. And, because we are the only Canadian-created company, we offer our customized curriculum programs in French as well.
- Has your business received any awards or recognition for its products or services your customers would like to know about?
- • A Total of 8 CFA Marketing Awards.
• Numerous community “best of” awards across Canada in the area of tutoring, child services.
• Featured Company recognized by the Corporation of the City of London.
• Franchise Business Review Franchise 50 List, honorable mention in the category of child services.
• Entrepreneur Magazine America’s Top Global Franchises (2008).
• London, Ontario Chamber of Commerce Business Achievement Award.
• Accreditation through AdvancEd.
• Canadian Franchise Association’s Franchisees’ Choice designation in 2013
- How has Oxford Learning grown or evolved?
- Since we began franchising in 1991, we’ve opened over 100 branches across Canada from Halifax to Vancouver, developed a US division, and have 5 international locations located in the Caribbean and the Middle East.
We are always evolving to meet the changing educational landscape and create a learning environment that is relevant and vibrant to today’s students. We introduce new programs to meet the needs of the student, and, we identify and create programs to fill educational gaps both during the summer and throughout the school year.
Oxford Learning Company Information
- Company Name:
- Oxford Learning
- Year Founded:
- 747 Hyde Park Road, Suite 230
- Postal Code:
- N6H 3S3
- (519) 473-1460